PDA

View Full Version : Press and Discussion about Glenn's new album "After Hours"

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

RebeccaLovesEagles
07-26-2012, 01:53 AM
I finally got time to watch the 2nd part of the TS show. Loved it! I so wish Glenn would write that book!

Fabulous interviews! Glenn :iloveyou: but we still need some solo dates here in the midwest! Please think about it!

I agree!!!!! I still haven't got to see Don or Glenn Solo:brickwall:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-26-2012, 07:27 PM
An article that says its published today... I like the word 'definitely'.

‘We’ll definitely go back on the road,’ says Glenn. ‘We might do a chronological show, starting in the early Seventies, and go through our entire history.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2179554/The-Eagle-whos-happy-easy--Glenn-Frey-launches-solo-album-decades.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Freypower
07-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Well he didn't wear a tux, but I know what they mean. More solo shows please Glenn. The UK was mentioned but not Australia that time.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-26-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm really hoping they do the chronological show and kind of use it to tell the band's story throughout the show. In any event, it's fun to speculate and something to look forward to. :thumbsup:

Brooke
07-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Love the chronological idea! Here's hoping!

Tiffanny Twisted
08-02-2012, 06:31 AM
An article that says its published today... I like the word 'definitely'.

‘We’ll definitely go back on the road,’ says Glenn. ‘We might do a chronological show, starting in the early Seventies, and go through our entire history.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2179554/The-Eagle-whos-happy-easy--Glenn-Frey-launches-solo-album-decades.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

as always, thanks for the article on our guy. one can only hope they tour and he tours again:thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
08-02-2012, 02:52 PM
A short Canadian review of the album...

http://www.uptownmag.com/music/cd-reviews/After-Hours-164634446.html

Tiffanny Twisted
08-03-2012, 06:49 AM
A short Canadian review of the album...

http://www.uptownmag.com/music/cd-reviews/After-Hours-164634446.html
Va

Thanks for the post.'You keep me in the know. lol:thumbsup:

GlennLover
08-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Just found this on Glenn's After Hours site: Aug. 7, 2012
Glenn on KCRW's In Treatment (http://glennfreyafterhours.com/news/90831)

Listen to Glenn's interview with Elvis Mitchell on KCRW's In Treatment tomorrow at 2:30PM PST. Listen online (http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tt/tt120808glenn_frey_after_hou) or click here (http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tt/station-list) for a full list of national syndicates.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Just found this on Glenn's After Hours site: Aug. 7, 2012
Glenn on KCRW's In Treatment (http://glennfreyafterhours.com/news/90831)

Listen to Glenn's interview with Elvis Mitchell on KCRW's In Treatment tomorrow at 2:30PM PST. Listen online (http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tt/tt120808glenn_frey_after_hou) or click here (http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tt/station-list) for a full list of national syndicates.

Thanks, GL!

sodascouts
08-08-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm listening to it right now. Interesting stuff! They're both really playing up the Detroit aspect, which puts a bit of a different spin on it. Plus, the interviewer is asking some really creative questions about the music.

Here's how Glenn characterizes their roles when Elvis discusses the "narrative" aspect of Eagles songs:

"If Timothy's singing, chances are it's a slightly light, yet bittersweet tune. Soft... I'm kind of in the middle, in that 'new-kid-in-town-peaceful-easy-feeling' range. Don is more the blues singer: he can sing the torch ballads, he can teach a lesson if he needs to, give a sermon.... we all understand, though, that people want to be entertained, that people want to be told a story."

After talking about the importance of painting a picture in songwriting, he goes on to say, "I think people like to be tricked into enlightenment, a little bit, instead of beat over the head with it."

Hmm! Interesting!

And here's something really exciting - he also says that having done this project makes him want to write original music again! "I'm excited to write some other songs now, 'cause I think that, I feel like I've been added to, and whatever I've done the past three years can only make whatever I do tomorrow better."

WOOT!!!!

Freypower
08-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Once again he mentions New Kid In Town, a song he no longer sings.

What does he say about After Hours? Just what we've already heard?

After Hours, by the way, has proven beyond doubt that he can sing 'torch ballads' just as well as Don.

GlennLover
08-08-2012, 07:30 PM
I wasn't able to get home in time to listen to the interview but I was able to download it & I hope to be able to play it later tonight. Soda & FP, I didn't read your posts so that everything I hear will be a surprise for me. I'll read your posts after I listen.

sodascouts
08-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Here are a few highlights:

- Now that he's a songwriter, he appreciates the kind of music he covered in After Hours. When he was kid, it was all about Motown and the Beatles. Detroit has a lot of diversity, though, because people came from all over to work in the car industry.

- Glenn is flattered to be compared to Hoagy Carmichael by the interviewer. Glenn relates that he'd see Carmichael walking around in L.A. in the 70s. He and his friends "dug" Carmichael for his Bogart movies "piano man" aspect and Glenn liked how laid back he was, "never in a hurry."

- The interviewer calls "Route 66" "country-politan." Glenn says the music comes naturally to him and tells the story about Clint Eastwood and Pebble Beach, talks about how he sings differently for these than he does for his other work.

- The interviewer compares the album to Willie Nelson's Stardust. Glenn says he'd forgotten about that, and was more inpsired by Linda Ronstadt's album with Nelson Riddle. He likes Willie's stuff, though. "He never oversings." Glenn believes it's good to stay true to the original's melody. He compliments all the songwriters he's covered on the album, and considers himself the songs' "caretaker" and felt he needed to be "committed" to each song.

- The interviewer feels Eagles songs look ahead, but After Hours songs "evoke a mood." Glenn agrees, "Musically, it's a period piece." He also talks about how he loves recording these songs with higher fidelity now so that he can hear all the instruments clearly. "It's cool."

- The interviewer thinks of Eagles songs as movies, and After Hours songs as storytelling. Glenn agrees, and talks about the Eagles being "visual writers" before videos. He talks about using his imagination while listening to "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds." He says that all songs don't need to be lessons, but they all need to have powerful imagery. He uses "Hotel California" as an example.

- The interviewer talks about how each song on After Hours seems to have an "overture" - "as if you're taking a breath getting ready for the song to start," whereas Eagles songs have a "tension" to them "where you're about to really take hold of something." Glenn believes that might be because of the fact that the songs on the album are pretty much all romantic ballads. Still, he adds, "You do want tension. Within the band, it's like having a team of horses but never really letting 'em go all the way... and everybody sort of starts getting tuned into you... feelin' it, and feelin' the pull... and so you let it out, and this track gets a little bigger, and instrumental... and then you pull it back... so there's a dynamic like that going on for sure."

- The interviewer keeps going back to the difference in narration between the Eagles and After Hours, saying After Hours is like hearing a guy tell you his story in a bar, but the Eagles are more like hearing a story from Hunter S. Thompson - which is where the part in the previous post comes in.

- Glenn tells the story of how the song "After Hours" was originally supposed to be the last song on The Allnighter, calling up Tempchin and being reminded about it, etc.

- Glenn gushes about Dinah Washington, saying how overlooked she is. "Her voice is something special to me. It just rings true. It gets me in a place... it's very moving.... I feel very connected with her." He said he loved the idea of singing a song that was originally sung by a female singer, and that he wanted to do four or five of her songs but cut it down to two. He says he may record more of her songs in the future. He talks about how often she appeared on the soundtrack for the Aspen restaurant he was thinking of doing back in the nineties.

- Glenn tells the story about how he and Bob Seger were listening to the radio in the car in 1967 and Glenn was going to change the station from a sucky song called "The Rain, the Park, and Other Things" by The Cowsills, but Bob stopped him and told him that since those guys were on the radio, Glenn should take the opportunity to try to figure out why instead of just closing his mind to them.

- The interviewer tells Glenn that about 15 years ago, he happened to see a group of young black guys singing "Desperado" acapella to a couple of girls in the back of a convertible. Glenn repeats the whole "People did things to the Eagles" speech, but seems pretty impressed it was young black men using the song to pick up women! He says he and Don "had always hoped Ray Charles would record 'Desperado.'"

- Glenn discusses how much country music has changed in the last 20 years, that now they are more focused on trying to write something that will appeal to an audience rather than just writing what they feel.

- He emphasizes how much fun it was to record After Hours and how it's made him a better singer, which is when he says what I put above about how their "greatness" might "rub off" on what he does in the future.

Freypower
08-08-2012, 08:02 PM
In fact I can listen to it; I wasn't sure if I could. But thanks for that summary Soda.

'I wantd to close my eyes & give it my best shot'. How sweet.

I don't agree that there is no 'tension' in these songs. Listen to Here's To Life & I Wanna Be Around.

I'd love to go on that drive up to Hearst Castle with him! I went there in 1986! Seriously, I was encouraged by what he said about writing more songs, but hearing him talk about his singing always does it for me. Hopefully he will want to share these songs with more people and sing them live.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-08-2012, 09:20 PM
- Glenn discusses how much country music has changed in the last 20 years, that now they are more focused on trying to write something that will appeal to an audience rather than just writing what they feel.

He hit the nail on the head with why I stopped listening to new country! Everything in pop and country and even new rock feels so 'packaged' now. I feel like I'm listening to commercials to buy music and concert tickets instead of something someone actually feels.

I've not had a chance to listen to the interview, hopefully I will be able to tomorrow evening.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-10-2012, 10:15 AM
An interview from The Australian. To read it you need to subscribe. Here's the link if you wish to do so, but it's a mostly positive review with no new observations and definitely no new news. I was hoping there would be some details about a possible trip Down Under for Glenn, but there's nothing even hinted at about it.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/review/after-hours-glenn-frey/story-fn9n8gph-1226446665646

zeldabjr
08-10-2012, 10:38 AM
I didn't listen but Soda your summary is amazing...I love the part about him and Don wanting Ray Charles to record Desperado...wouldn't that have sounded great? wow!!!

Brooke
08-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks for your summary of that interview, Soda. I hope to get time to listen to it. Sounds like it was a great interview!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-10-2012, 04:55 PM
A nice little review...

http://themusic.com.au/reviews/album/2012/08/10/glenn-frey-after-hours-michael-smith/

Freypower
08-10-2012, 06:38 PM
An interview from The Australian. To read it you need to subscribe. Here's the link if you wish to do so, but it's a mostly positive review with no new observations and definitely no new news. I was hoping there would be some details about a possible trip Down Under for Glenn, but there's nothing even hinted at about it.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/review/after-hours-glenn-frey/story-fn9n8gph-1226446665646

Unfortunately I refuse to subscribe to Murdoch's right wing trash.

As for the other review, I guess I should be pleased that the Australian press has suddenly discovered the album exists.

GlennLover
08-15-2012, 10:39 PM
I just ordered a vinyl copy of AH & the tee shirt from Glenn's website :partytime: (what a hassle, but that's beside the point). Has anyone gotten the vinyl yet? If so, how do you think the sound compares with the CD? I have read in some reviews that the vinyl gives superior sound.

I had better search for a supplier of a new needle for my turntable before I play the record. It hasn't been changed in years & I certainly don't want to damage the LP in any way. Also I want the best sound.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-16-2012, 06:40 AM
GL, I got the vinyl copy but haven't listened to it yet. A friend borrowed my turntable and hasn't returned it yet. I'm thinking I need to just buy another one.

GlennLover
08-16-2012, 11:30 AM
GL, I got the vinyl copy but haven't listened to it yet. A friend borrowed my turntable and hasn't returned it yet. I'm thinking I need to just buy another one.

We're thinking of getting a new one too. We want to convert our old albums so we can put them on CDs & iTunes. Does anybody have any recommendations?

sodascouts
08-16-2012, 12:10 PM
What a coincidence! I just received an email about this from the company behind the vinyl. They say:

"On the 180g LP, listeners will experience the complete dynamic range,dead-quiet backgrounds, impeccable balances, and ultra-silent surfaces. The production is supervised by multi-Grammy-winning engineer and producer Elliot Scheiner.The results on vinyl are nothing short of exquisite. Frey did with the performances on the album, our LP copy references the era of great-sounding analog recordings. The amount of information in the record grooves exceeds that which is available via download or CD."

It sounds pretty good!

sodascouts
08-16-2012, 01:49 PM
We're thinking of getting a new [turntable] too. We want to convert our old albums so we can put them on CDs & iTunes. Does anybody have any recommendations?

I use a Starlogic turntable with a USB port in order to digitize albums that aren't available on CD. You hook up the turntable to your computer via a USB cable, then you use audio software such as Audacity to capture the audio as .wav onto your hard drive. You can also convert that to MP3.

It's worked pretty well for me. That's how I got Longbranch Pennywhistle on MP3, the Eagles B-side "Get You in the Mood," the soundtrack song "The Lonely Guy," etc. Unfortunately, it will also pick up that "scratchy" sound LPs often have.

Here's "Get You in the Mood":
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/getyouinthemood.mp3

I got mine several years ago, though, so there are probably better ones out there now.

GlennLover
08-16-2012, 05:33 PM
What a coincidence! I just received an email about this from the company behind the vinyl. They say:

"On the 180g LP, listeners will experience the complete dynamic range,dead-quiet backgrounds, impeccable balances, and ultra-silent surfaces. The production is supervised by multi-Grammy-winning engineer and producer Elliot Scheiner.The results on vinyl are nothing short of exquisite. Frey did with the performances on the album, our LP copy references the era of great-sounding analog recordings. The amount of information in the record grooves exceeds that which is available via download or CD."
It sounds pretty good!

That's what I read that made me want the vinyl. I must have gotten it in a Google Alert. I just got an alert about your post of this on GF Online, LOL! Thanks

GlennLover
08-16-2012, 06:22 PM
I use a Starlogic turntable with a USB port in order to digitize albums that aren't available on CD. You hook up the turntable to your computer via a USB cable, then you use audio software such as Audacity to capture the audio as .wav onto your hard drive. You can also convert that to MP3.

It's worked pretty well for me. That's how I got Longbranch Pennywhistle on MP3, the Eagles B-side "Get You in the Mood," the soundtrack song "The Lonely Guy," etc. Unfortunately, it will also pick up that "scratchy" sound LPs often have.

Here's "Get You in the Mood":
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/getyouinthemood.mp3

I got mine several years ago, though, so there are probably better ones out there now.

Thanks for the info, Soda!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Got this in a Google alert where it says that Glenn is going to Australia in October, but they are quoting an interview he did in London back in June. Where they say Music-News 'also says' tells us the first bits of info are from there as well.

http://www.noise11.com/news/glenn-frey-to-visit-then-tour-australia-20120817

GlennLover
08-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Got this in a Google alert where it says that Glenn is going to Australia in October, but they are quoting an interview he did in London back in June. Where they say Music-News 'also says' tells us the first bits of info are from there as well.

I thought the same thing, VA, but I listened to the interview again and Glenn made no mention of going to Australia or anywhere else to promote AH. So happy for FP & any other Australian Glenn fans!!!

sodascouts
08-17-2012, 10:43 AM

So, is this still a repeating of old speculation then, and not a new confirmation?

VAisForEagleLovers
08-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Since they didn't give dates or times or any new information and quoted an old article repeatedly, that's my guess. But I don't really know. I should send an email and ask them if they're just recycling old news.

GlennLover
08-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Since they didn't give dates or times or any new information and quoted an old article repeatedly, that's my guess. But I don't really know. I should send an email and ask them if they're just recycling old news.

Good idea, VA!

Freypower
08-17-2012, 05:39 PM

The difference was the promo tour is now supposed to be October whereas previously it was September and the tour is now 2013 whereas before there was no date even speculated upon.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-17-2012, 05:48 PM
I sent an email asking for more details. We'll see what he says, if he answers.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-17-2012, 08:35 PM
He answered!! Here's what Paul Cashmere has to say:

Glenn will be in Sydney only from October 1 to 4. He will not be doing any showcases on this visit but will announce his solo tour of Australia for early 2013.

all the best

Paul

Freypower
08-17-2012, 08:37 PM

Glenn will be in Sydney only from October 1 to 4. He will not be doing any showcases on this visit but will announce his solo tour of Australia for early 2013.

all the best

Paul

VA, thank you so much, & Paul, if you happen to read this, thank you so much. Although he still doesn't say how he knows this.

Four days is a short trip!

I don't know what to say. Will this do?

:jawdrop:

sodascouts
08-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Oh my gosh, I'm so excited for you Julie!!!!!

Tiffanny Twisted
08-17-2012, 09:38 PM

all the best

Paul

Can I sk who PAul Cashmere is?

THanks TT

GlennLover
08-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Wow, FP!!! :thumbsup: :partytime::partytime::partytime:

VAisForEagleLovers
08-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Can I sk who PAul Cashmere is?

THanks TT

CEO and Executive Producer as well as the guy who wrote the Noise11 article at the top of the last page.

Freypower
08-17-2012, 09:56 PM
He used to run a site called undercover.com.au which was a very good source of information before the F1 tour. He has now moved to this Noise11 site. I had actually stopped checking it because there hadn't been any news even when the album was released.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-17-2012, 09:56 PM
thanks va for answering my question:)

I read the article at 6am this am and wasnt paying attention to who wrote it just the article

VAisForEagleLovers
08-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Mr. Cashmere replied to my 'thank you' email. What a nice guy! Here's what he wrote:

oh by the way, the info in that story was officially given to us to write up by Universal Music. It is 100% accurate.

PC

---------------------
Paul Cashmere
CEO
The Noise Network Pty Ltd
223 Park St, South Melbourne, VIC, 3205
AUSTRALIA

ph AUS Office +61 3 96902551
ph AUS +61 414 534050
ph USA + 1 310 4647209 (when in the USA)

AUSTRALIA'S ONLINE MUSIC CHANNEL
http://www.noise11.com

TWITTER: Follow us @Noise11Tweets

FACEBOOK: Like us at https://www.facebook.com/Noise11dotcom

Tiffanny Twisted
08-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the info va.
tt

Glennsallnighter
08-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Looks very promising FP!

Brooke
08-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Wow, Fp! Looks like you are getting your wish! :cool:

sodascouts
08-20-2012, 04:23 PM
How exciting!

Freypower
08-20-2012, 06:31 PM
I've been quiet for the last couple of days because nobody had said much.

I think although this is a great honour it is a big risk because as far as the Australian media is concerned the album doesn't exist. There were those two web articles VA linked to, one of which was in the Australian newspaper site which you have to pay to read, then there was the Noise11 story.

I thought he would go to Europe first and then Australia; now it seems he has left it too late to go to Europe, where frankly I think he may have had more receptive audiences.

I know what I will be doing if it happens in terms of where I go (let's face it; there are only five cities he can play. He is not going to play smaller places like Canberra or Newcastle).

I'll just wait & see what happens.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-20-2012, 08:37 PM
fp

good luck. I hope he comes your way and you get to see him. He was great when I saw him...so stinking cute :thumbsup:

tt

Freypower
08-20-2012, 09:12 PM
fp

good luck. I hope he comes your way and you get to see him. He was great when I saw him...so stinking cute :thumbsup:

tt

He was great when I saw him too. I saw him in Los Angeles. :-?

Glennsallnighter
08-21-2012, 09:01 AM
As did I! :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
08-21-2012, 09:08 AM
FP and GA, it shames me that I felt airfare from DC to LA was unreasonable and yet the two of you flew from other continents to see the LA show!! I missed HTL live because of it. So you know I'm hoping he does it at the show in Clearwater in November.

Freypower
08-21-2012, 05:21 PM
FP and GA, it shames me that I felt airfare from DC to LA was unreasonable and yet the two of you flew from other continents to see the LA show!! I missed HTL live because of it. So you know I'm hoping he does it at the show in Clearwater in November.

I've been trying to avoid saying anything like this, but I guess you would think the airfare to Sydney would be even more unreasonable.

:hilarious:

VAisForEagleLovers
08-21-2012, 06:42 PM
I've been trying to avoid saying anything like this, but I guess you would think the airfare to Sydney would be even more unreasonable.

:hilarious:

Believe me, FP, I have thought about that! Leaving snowy Virginia and heading to Australia summertime? Sounds too good. But yes, that would put a serious dent in the Eagles fund for next year (and the truck fund and the food fund and...)

Glennsallnighter
08-21-2012, 07:16 PM
I guess when you live on an island you are used to travelling! I knew that realistically, to see Glenn :heart: live I would have to do it, and I had a bit of a financial boost last year which allowed me do Niagara Falls and LA. And, yes, if he does not do the European thing, I would like to make it back again to the States to see him again next year. But I do know that airfare is a factor and I would never encourage anybody to be foolhardy about it!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-21-2012, 08:10 PM
As you all can tell, I don't have a problem paying for concert tickets. Even VIP for the Eagles. I just don't see why Delta, United, et al should make out on the deal.

Freypower
08-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Believe me, FP, I have thought about that! Leaving snowy Virginia and heading to Australia summertime? Sounds too good. But yes, that would put a serious dent in the Eagles fund for next year (and the truck fund and the food fund and...)

I guess it depends how different you think the Eagles shows are going to be in terms of a setlist. Doing them in chronological order isn't necessarily going to mean big changes.

I know how far it is to come here. However, it was just as far for me to go the other way & I have now done it twice in two years.

sodascouts
08-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Your trips were borne of necessity, though. We thought at the time he wouldn't be doing shows Down Under. When that necessity doesn't exist, the expense is harder to justify. It sure would be fun, though!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Going to Australia is on my bucket list... So I could accomplish multiple things at once. However, in order to get rates as reasonable as possible, I'd need to know the dates soon and we all know that isn't going to happen. By the time something is announced, airfare will be the same price as a mortgage payment or more!

As for the shows themselves, I'm the opposite of you, FP. I love seeing our guys solo and Glenn in particular. All Glenn all the time is a very good thing. However, I prefer seeing all four of them together. The magic that is the Eagles can't be found anywhere else and I really don't care what the setlist is as long as there is one.

The other deciding factor is a physical one. At this point in time, a plane ride to Australia would be unbearable. It's one reason why I didn't go to Hawaii the end of May with my family.

Freypower
08-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Well, I have seen the Eagles often enough, but solo shows are still a novelty for me.

Glennsallnighter
08-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Same here FP! Remember, this night last year we met in the flesh so to speak!

GlennLover
08-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Same here FP! Remember, this night last year we met in the flesh so to speak!

That experience was so very special! Glenn in concert & fellow Boarderers to share it with!!!!!!!!!

Brooke
08-23-2012, 10:21 AM
I can't believe it's been a year already!

Glennsallnighter
08-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Neither can I! I've been playing 'After Hours' all day in memory of the occasion! I hope tosee him again some time soon!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Brooke, just love love love your avatar and sig! I really feel you now need to post at least a hundred times a day...

Brooke
08-24-2012, 01:12 PM
:lol: Thanks! Very nice Borderers made those!

Let's see now, I'll have to see if I can think of something to say so I can post for you! :hmm:

GlennLover
08-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Neither can I! I've been playing 'After Hours' all day in memory of the occasion! I hope tosee him again some time soon!

I play AH every day anyway, LOL! I truely hope to be able to see him again too! :heart::inlove:Can't believe it's been a year either!

Freypower
08-24-2012, 06:31 PM
I play AH every day anyway, LOL! I truely hope to be able to see him again too! :heart::inlove:Can't believe it's been a year either!

Every time I do an iTunes playlist I put every song from AH in it. I don't want to leave any of them out (even the ones I don't like as much). When I play the iPod just on normal shuffle you don't know if the songs will come up, so you have to make them.

I would write more about what I think of the album but I find it very difficult. It's just hearing him sing like this which does it for me.

GlennLover
08-24-2012, 07:31 PM
I would write more about what I think of the album but I find it very difficult. It's just hearing him sing like this which does it for me.

I know what you mean, Lisa.

Glennsallnighter
08-26-2012, 05:01 AM
I just find the whole CD 'unputdownable' it lives permanently in my car CD player as well as having it in my kitchen CD player, and on my iPhone, iPod and iPad. I'd have thought by now I'd be moving back to listening to his other music, but no! When it comes to choosing, it's still 'After Hours'. Laura loves it too and asks to be let play it at home or in the Hubs car. It's really gratifying to see someone as young as 11 embracing this music. Her favourites are TSOYS and R66! Glenn :heart: has certainly taken this music to a whole new generation

VAisForEagleLovers
09-14-2012, 01:57 PM
A blurb about Glenn and After Hours in Australian press.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2012/09/just-released-2012-31.html

Glennsallnighter
09-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Nice find VA! I'm sure FP will be interested in Mark Knopflers new album as well! Way to go FP! Its not often we read of two favourite artists in one blurb!

Freypower
09-14-2012, 06:43 PM
How cool is that?!!

(Sadly due to a contractual dispute Privateering isn't belng released in the US. I hope they work that out). :sad:

Glennsallnighter
09-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Its brilliant! I'm sure they'll work something out for the US fans. If not you can become Mark's agent!!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-23-2012, 06:54 AM
A fantastic review of After Hours.

http://janlockert.blogspot.com/2012/09/new-album-after-hours-by-glenn-frey.html

Tiffanny Twisted
09-23-2012, 09:45 AM
A fantastic review of After Hours.

http://janlockert.blogspot.com/2012/09/new-album-after-hours-by-glenn-frey.html
I agree beautifuly written review of a great cd by our GF.

thanks for posting it

09-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Very nice review. Thanks for the link, VA.

Freypower
09-23-2012, 05:36 PM
That's my kind of review!

Glennsallnighter
09-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Mine too! It was so lovely to read something so complimentary. I hope Glenn :heart: himself got to read it too.

GlennLover
09-25-2012, 09:58 AM
It's nice that Glenn really gets his due in this review!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 09:20 AM
A picture from a news appearance. Unfortunately, the link for the video isn't working, but there's a picture posted!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/ah/australia/tennews.jpg

This is the link that doesn't work, if anyone else has better luck.
http://ten.com.au/video-player.htm?movideo_p=40982&movideo_m=230817

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Found the interview on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjste6kMNBc

sodascouts
10-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Is he in Australia now or was this recorded during his last visit? Regardless, he looks happy and healthy.

I'm astonished he hasn't seen the Seinfeld with Desperado. I hope he takes a moment to find it. It's hilarious!

10-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Cool interview and Sydney looks beautiful. I would have thought he would be familiar with the Seinfeld "Desperado" scene as well.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Is he in Australia now or was this recorded during his last visit? Regardless, he looks happy and healthy.

I'm astonished he hasn't seen the Seinfeld with Desperado. I hope he takes a moment to find it. It's hilarious!

He's there now...he was schedule to be there from Oct. 1 to the 3rd or 4th, I can't remember. All the ticket presales start, more or less, in the next few days, so I imagine it will be a media blitz. I expected more to come out from yesterday.

GlennLover
10-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Did you notice that at the end of the interview it was mentioned that Glenn said the Eagles would be touring in 2014?

sodascouts
10-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Yes - but surely that was an error - I hope!

10-01-2012, 12:05 PM

Well - I thought I'd help him out with his search and also for anyone else who hasn't seen this. It's all the different scenes from the show about the song ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_kCR5yQpY0

10-01-2012, 12:12 PM
I took the comment about touring in 2014 to mean touring in Australia. Hopefully, 2013 will be the U.S. and maybe Europe.

timfan
10-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Did you notice that at the end of the interview it was mentioned that Glenn said the Eagles would be touring in 2014?

I immediately noticed this and they also said it would be the "final tour". At first I was more concerned about this but since thinking about it there are a few things; one they could have just been talking of a tour outside of North America. Secondly Glenn himself didn't say this, they attribute it to him but we don't hear him say it so it is possible it was an error.

Brooke
10-01-2012, 03:10 PM
A picture from a news appearance. Unfortunately, the link for the video isn't working, but there's a picture posted!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/ah/australia/tennews.jpg

Glenn's looking very smug here, wonder why?! :lol:

Do you think she could have worn a lower cut top?! Good grief!

Glennhoney
10-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Glenn's looking very smug here, wonder why?! :lol:

Do you think she could have worn a lower cut top?! Good grief!
...hahaha...thought the same thing...but then again, if I was interviewing GLENN, I would do the same...lol:hilarious:

sodascouts
10-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Seriously! I was wondering that, too. Too bad he's married, sweetie!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Wow, I didn't even notice. I was looking at what his unbuttoned shirt was showing! I'm so completely shallow at times...

GlennLover
10-01-2012, 03:57 PM
I took the comment about touring in 2014 to mean touring in Australia. Hopefully, 2013 will be the U.S. and maybe Europe.

That thought crossed my mind too, Dreamer.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 04:09 PM
In one half hour (6:40 local time), Glenn will be on The Today Show in Australia, it's streamed live. They just showed a clip from HFO and mentioned his new album.

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/today/1hk5bckr8

ETA: the streaming leaves a bit to be desired. I think they save the videos for later, but not sure.

timfan
10-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks Verna for finding this! Got it on; so far the streaming is working.. just waiting for Glenn lol

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 04:39 PM
It's nerve-wracking when it goes to black. Like now. You wonder if it's gonna come back. It does, you just need to wait for the commercials to end!

timfan
10-01-2012, 04:44 PM
"Our fans are two to toothless" that's a new one!

ETA: Hotel California the musical seems to be actually happening??? no mention of the History of the Eagles project tho....

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Hotel California The Musical is getting ready to rock?!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 04:49 PM
He said it's the hottest thing on the Eagles plate right now (HC The Musical). He didn't mention the DVD at all. He said they feel they have one world-wide tour left in them, but neglected to give any dates in this interview.

GlennLover
10-01-2012, 04:50 PM
I was just wondering the other day if "Hotel California" The Musical was still in the works! Glenn looks great! :partytime:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
A picture just put out from the show...

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/ah/australia/today.jpg

timfan
10-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Nice pic!!

I guess what I try to tell myself with the Eagles is that nothing is certain til it is. So we'll just have to wait and see if the Dvd and/or the musical happens.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 04:59 PM
I did wonder if they might wait for the DVD since the tour won't be til later next year, plus with LZ's DVD coming out in November. And, maybe it won't be released in Australia when it's released here so he didn't mention it. It's so hard to say....

sodascouts
10-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Wow, I didn't even notice. I was looking at what his unbuttoned shirt was showing! I'm so completely shallow at times...

Yes, well, I noticed that too, I must say. Perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to judge, as I love it when MEN show some chest! There's something very masculine and virile about it.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 05:09 PM
I think I just missed him on a radio show, MMM Breakfast. They spelled his name with one 'n', so it wasn't in my search in time! These people...

sodascouts
10-01-2012, 05:13 PM
He said it's the hottest thing on the Eagles plate right now (HC The Musical). He didn't mention the DVD at all. He said they feel they have one world-wide tour left in them, but neglected to give any dates in this interview.

I have mixed feelings. I want that DVD bad - I've been hungering for the promised video clips! I want IT to be on that hot plate!

I'm intrigued by the musical - no details about whether it will be Jersey Boys biographical thing or more of a Mamma Mia thematic-around-the-songs thing?

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 05:16 PM
I have mixed feelings. I want that DVD bad - I've been hungering for the promised video clips! I want IT to be on that hot plate!

I'm intrigued by the musical - no details about whether it will be Jersey Boys biographical thing or more of a Mamma Mia thematic-around-the-songs thing?

He gave her name, but said she is/was Tom Hanks wife, and she did the Momma Mia musical. She approached Irving and Glenn about doing it for HC.

GlennLover
10-01-2012, 05:18 PM

Rita Wilson, who produced Mamma Mia, is working on it, so maybe more along the lines of that musical?

sodascouts
10-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I think that's a safe bet.

Freypower
10-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all of this. How embarrassing. It should be me who is posting it all.

The first interview with Angela Bishop, who is the daughter of a conservative politician, I saw last night on Channel 10 News. Two minutes & a completely wasted opportunity. I have no interest in the Seinfeld thing. I wanted to hear Glenn's thoughts on his tour (he trotted out that line about he & Henley writing TS & Desperado on the same day, yet again). Did you see her touch his arm?! (She always dresses like that, by the way).

The photo with Richard Wilkins, who is another showbiz hack, is nice, but it sounds like I didn't miss much from a solo viewpoint, which to be honest is my main concern at the moment. I suppose I am disappointed that he didn't mention the DVD. I really have no interest in the HC musical. Did he say anything else about his tour?

I think I was able to work out which hotel he is in. I hope he has a good time & does a more substantial interview about the album & tour (I would like to know, for instance, why he is doing it).

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 05:28 PM
I should mention, it wasn't a live interview. It was done the night before. At the end of the segment, Richard Wilkins (who did the interview) said that Glenn's 'a really great guy'.

The MMM Hot Breakfast people did refer to him as 'Rock N Roll Royalty' in their tweet.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 05:32 PM
FP, he didn't mention his solo tour at all. Since the segment wasn't live, it was able to be edited and you could tell that it was. Almost all of it was bits and pieces of songs from the HFO DVD. They did show quite a few clips from the AH trailer and he talked about why he did the album (his parents). The segment was over and the guy was segueing away from it when he mentioned, not as part of the interview but live, about the tour and to check their homepage for cities and dates.

GlennLover
10-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I was disappointed that he didn't mention anything about the tour. I agree that it was probably edited out, as VA said. It was very chopped up, skipping from interview to HFO & back again. Wonder why they didn't show parts of F1 as it was filmed in Melbourne?

Glennsallnighter
10-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Well all I can say about everything I've read and seen in the last few minutes is :thud: :jawdrop: :fainting: :fainted:

I think its wonderful that he is doing a big full on tour in Australia and new Zealand in the New Year and its a brilliant chance for FP and our other Australian and New Zealand fans - you have all been waiting so song for this - Go and enjoy.

I'm not as mad about the HC musical as I would have been about the DVD - I'd have preferred that to come out first and had only been wondering with Laura at the weekend if it would have been released by Christmas - I guess I have my answer now. Still we know our guys don't tend to release material as early as they initially say they will so I'm not exactly surprised.

As for 2014? If they only start touring then I guess it could be 2015 before they hit Europe, but you never know! I still hope that Glenn :heart: will indeed tour Europe with his solo show before then!

And to finish - let me just say that Glenn :heart: looks as HS&G as ever - he looks calm and relaxed and energetic and ready to take on the world! I love his shirt but would have loved it even more if he'd opened a few more buttons!

Freypower
10-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Australian TV is amateur hour.

Before the Bishop interview it was all the female newsreader could do to stop herself saying 'Fray' and say 'Frey' instead. :eyebrow:

I understood 2014 to mean an Australian tour; they were talking to a local audience.

sodascouts
10-01-2012, 05:55 PM
That makes sense.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 06:08 PM
And to finish - let me just say that Glenn :heart: looks as HS&G as ever - he looks calm and relaxed and energetic and ready to take on the world! I love his shirt but would have loved it even more if he'd opened a few more buttons!

You naughty, naughty girl! :evil::twisted: We were obviously separated at birth as I was thinking the same.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Going to Australia is on my bucket list... So I could accomplish multiple things at once. However, in order to get rates as reasonable as possible, I'd need to know the dates soon and we all know that isn't going to happen. By the time something is announced, airfare will be the same price as a mortgage payment or more!

Bringing this forward and I have to shake my head. Five months notice is a lot of notice, and airfare is still more than a mortgage payment. $2300. Good grief.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Interview with Glenn on Breakfast Podcast, 10/02, at the 1:04:30 mark.

http://www.4bc.com.au/podcasts

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 09:49 PM
He says he's playing every major city in New Zealand as well. In both countries, all the concerts are with the symphonies of the cities where the concert is.

The guy interviewing him was highly complimentary. It was nice to hear.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Mr. Frey is looking pretty good!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/ah/australia/golfshow.jpg

Bigger version:
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/ah/australia/golfshow2.jpg

No idea what the 'Golf Show' might be...

Freypower
10-01-2012, 10:19 PM
It is a programme on Foxtel here in Australia, and we no longer have Foxtel.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/golf/the-golf-show

The only place in Australia where he isn't using an orchestra is Tamworth, because I imagine the venue isn't big enough. I was still half hoping he would add Canberra and/or Newcastle, my home town.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 10:35 PM
I replied to his tweet before you responded, FP. This is his reply:

"will let you know... On Fox Sports golf show in Australia in coming weeks."

VAisForEagleLovers
10-02-2012, 06:36 AM
A day on the golf course! I'll search out the information on the TV show and post it later.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/ah/australia/golfcourse.jpg

VAisForEagleLovers
10-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Here is the TV interview discussed above. You need to scroll down and look for Entertainment News.

http://today.ninemsn.com.au/videoindex.aspx

Brooke
10-02-2012, 10:40 AM
So, the dvd is on hold and the musical is in the works? I'm very disappointed as I was so looking forward to the dvd. I'm not really interested in the musical. :sad:

Glenn does look great though. :drool:

And surely they won't put off a US tour till 2014! Say it ain't so! :sad:

timfan
10-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Brooke I think he was talking about touring Australia in 2014

Freypower
10-02-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't want to criticise Glenn. All I care about at the moment is his tour. But a DVD would have given us something about the Eagles themselves. An HC musical, while based on the Eagles, is not the Eagles. It is also a rehash of old material. A history of the Eagles DVD would by its nature have to include current interviews with them. This reluctance to release any DVDs of any of their concerts is beyond me. I wonder if he will even sing On The Way Home in Australia now. He was so up about it before, so happy about it. Now...

GlennLover
10-02-2012, 06:17 PM
I think that we may be a little premature in concluding that the musical has taken precidence over the DVD. We don't know that the DVD is on hold. We have only heard Glenn mention the musical once recently, in an interview that was obviously edited. Maybe he did mention the DVD & they didn't show that part of the interview or, as someone else said (Soda I think), the DVD may not be slated to be released in Australia as early as in North America.

Also, the plans for the musical may have just come together so that Glenn is particularly excited about that at this time as it is new news. He has been talking about the DVD for over a year now, since his Aug 2011 concerts in Niagara Falls.

I'm not giving up on the DVD until I hear something more definite. :nod:

10-02-2012, 07:07 PM
I couldn't agree with you more, GL. I have no problem criticizing Glenn if he is worthy of it, but I really see no evidence where he said anything is being put on hold or stopped altogether. The DVD, the musical, and Glenn's After Hours CD and tour promotion are all separate projects, and I can't see where one would be interdependent on another. I would imagine all of them require some of Glenn's time, but certainly none of them would seem to demand his full-time attention. As I said in another thread, surely he is capable of multi-tasking. :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-02-2012, 07:19 PM
I started to post this over lunch time and then WORK got in the way and it timed out. Darn job. But yes, I'm thinking it's very possible that the DVD is far enough along that it doesn't need as much time and attention from someone like Glenn. On the other hand, they may have decided to wait on it. Obviously, they aren't going to tour until the second half of next year at least, and maybe they are considering new music to go with it and you know, that takes some time. There's a lot of different factors we can't even guess at, and if they want to put some time in on the musical before releasing the DVD, that's fine, too. It's not like they won't release it, it's a matter of when.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Video interview from Australia! He doesn't plan on retiring!

http://channelnine.ninemsn.com.au/videos/mornings/?uuid=0509c709-288e-4924-a39c-72c914e651bb

Freypower
10-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Very nice. Did you notice his suggestion for what he wants to win our Survivor game?!!! :inlove:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Very nice. Did you notice his suggestion for what he wants to win our Survivor game?!!! :inlove:

I did! It was hard to pick up on it because the man is lookin' so good my mind was on vacation.

sodascouts
10-02-2012, 10:44 PM
I'll give away a secret - it's my favorite of the "standards" he does as well! SOOOO gorgeous!

And I am THRILLED to hear he doesn't plan on retiring. YOU GO, GLENN!!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-02-2012, 10:49 PM
I can honestly say it was far from a favorite of mine but I think that's due to 40's on 4 only ever playing one version and that a not very good one. I liked it when I heard it on Glenn's CD, and once I heard him sing it live I really liked it. Now, I find it in my head a lot.

sodascouts
10-03-2012, 01:47 AM
The first time I ever heard that song in any form was when Glenn performed it n Niagara Falls in 2011. It was incredible. I gave him a standing ovation and I give those sparingly as a rule. It gave me chills.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-03-2012, 09:03 AM
A radio interview... Glenn's part starts at 9:30. He says he just finished the documentary.

http://www.wsfm.com.au/shows/jonesy-amanda-morning/listen/jonesy-and-amandas-jamcast-3-october-2012

GlennLover
10-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Oh my, oh my, oh my! He is looking very fit & rested & gorgeous! :stunned::woah:

It was wonderful to hear him say that he won't retire as long as he can still sing & play. He has indicated that it wouldn't be soon that he would retire, but he has never said "never. :blueblob:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Another interview!! A nice, amusing interview, yet more in depth than the others. He's going camping with Otis after this, sleeping in a tent!

http://www.2ue.com.au/blogs/2ue-blog/glen-frey-talks-about-after-hours/20121003-26ydb.html

prayfordaylight
10-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Dare I say he's looking almost too skinny!

timfan
10-03-2012, 11:33 AM
I had the same thought looking at those clips from the golf course!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-03-2012, 11:53 AM
I'll sink further into shallowness and comment on his appearance again and say it's nice to see some shirts tucked in with no jacket. Very nice.

I've been thinking back to the interviews he did in May here in the States where he seemed to shy away from calling this an album of Standards. I agree with him that these songs set the standard for all other songs. I'm also glad he finally alluded to the fact that some of their songs, like HC, are standards as well.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-03-2012, 01:56 PM
And another...

http://blogs.abc.net.au/nsw/2012/10/crrrr-the-eagle-has-landed.html

prayfordaylight
10-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks for all the great links!

Brooke
10-03-2012, 03:32 PM

Now, he didn't literally say that! :lol:

Brooke
10-03-2012, 03:40 PM
A radio interview... Glenn's part starts at 9:30. He says he just finished the documentary.

http://www.wsfm.com.au/shows/jonesy-amanda-morning/listen/jonesy-and-amandas-jamcast-3-october-2012

Too funny that they used the picture like Dreamer's av! I'll bet Glenn would cringe at seeing that! :hilarious:

sodascouts
10-03-2012, 05:05 PM
That's actually a wallpaper I made from the photo.

http://glennfreyonline.com/images/WPSmokinA.jpg

Of course they cropped out the little GFO credit I put on it! Boo! Hiss!!! :thumbsdown:

But yes, Glenn would probably not be thrilled with their choice. :lol:

Freypower
10-03-2012, 05:39 PM

I cringe when Australians use phrases like 'hard yakka' (hard work). They seem to expect non-Australians will automatically understand them. (This is the station I occasionally listen to in the car).

I love how he had to remind them that he is actually doing a TOUR next year. Seriously. That is after all what he came here to promote. :-x

Freypower
10-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Dare I say he's looking almost too skinny!

I didn't think that at all.

Freypower
10-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Another interview!! A nice, amusing interview, yet more in depth than the others. He's going camping with Otis after this, sleeping in a tent!

http://www.2ue.com.au/blogs/2ue-blog/glen-frey-talks-about-after-hours/20121003-26ydb.html

'Who the guys in MY band are'..... :twisted: Quite.

I loved those comments about the Opera House. I hope it goes well. The standards part as well (thanks for the Stairway mention, Glenn). Great interview.

NB I should thank VA for being on top of all of this. It should be me doing it but the truth is most Australian media passes me by & I ignore it.

10-03-2012, 08:05 PM

Apparently, I am the only one that can't launch this interview. I've been trying to get to the interview on and off for the last several hours and I keep getting an error message. I've tried both IE and Firefox and neither work. Anybody got a clue why?

As far as them using my avatar, I am amazed that they would use it - I mean - c'mon it's not like there aren't a few more recent photos out there that they could have used. Go figure!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-03-2012, 09:32 PM
I've been trying to get to the interview on and off for the last several hours and I keep getting an error message. I've tried both IE and Firefox and neither work. Anybody got a clue why?

What's the error message?

VAisForEagleLovers
10-03-2012, 09:40 PM
NB I should thank VA for being on top of all of this. It should be me doing it but the truth is most Australian media passes me by & I ignore it.

Hey, Twitter and Google Search is world-wide! Everything is saved and all I do is hit refresh every once in a while.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-04-2012, 07:57 PM
A radio interview with a picture.

http://www.abc.net.au/sydney/programs/702_breakfast/

Freypower
10-04-2012, 08:51 PM
'Is every performance genuine' give me a break.

Why does he have to be told how big Hotel California is all the time? Can't these people ever come up with anything different? They could ask him about the songs HE sings, you know? He's very patient. I don't think the intereviewer understood the 'Mexican Reggae is a genre' comment.

'Do you decide what to play on the night' - I thought Adam Spencer was a bit more cluey than that.

'I had good hair, man'. Indeed. Still has.

There have been better interviews than that, I'm afraid.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-04-2012, 09:20 PM
There have been better interviews than that, I'm afraid.

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with the interviewer and maybe (probably) it was the opening stupid question, but Glenn didn't start out being his usual happy self.

10-04-2012, 09:24 PM
What's the error message?

VA - it's the standard IE message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I even tried to copy and paste and manually type the URL in the browser, but that doesn't work either. Oh well! :shrug:

Now, as far as that last link you posted, thankfully, I got to that fine. That is a great picture of Glenn and I loved the line, "Hey, I had great hair, man."

That you did, Mr. Frey, that you did! Still do. :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Dreamer, there's been so many links (a wonderful problem to have!!), I don't know which one you were talking about. If you have Firefox or Chrome installed, they usually give more descriptive error messages, or even work when IE doesn't. Let me know which link and maybe I can try to figure it out.

10-04-2012, 09:49 PM
VA - I tried it in Firefox but didn't get any more of a descriptive message. Apparently, I am the only one having the problem so it must be something on my pc that's blocking it. Here's the link I am talking about:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-04-2012, 10:12 PM
VA - I tried it in Firefox but didn't get any more of a descriptive message. Apparently, I am the only one having the problem so it must be something on my pc that's blocking it. Here's the link I am talking about:

There is something on the page that thinks it needs to run Windows Media Player. Chrome puts a bar along the top that asks me if it should allow it yes/no. The other two just bring the page up, so I have an option somewhere on IE set to allow that. Under Internet Options, Programs, Manage add-ons, do you have Windows Media Player enabled? I have IE 8, so it might be a little different in 9.

sodascouts
10-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Love that interview!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-07-2012, 09:33 PM
This was aired a few hours ago on a Brisbane radio station...

http://www.4kq.com.au/shows/laurel-gary-mark-morning/highlights/glenn-frey-eagles

Freypower
10-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Very nice. If I'm not careful I'll start getting excited again. :fainting:They were very sympathetic interviewers.

He remembers Expo! I wonder if he remembers the Sydney show that year. I made myself very conspicuous. He's nice about Brisbane. I had a good time the last time I was there (I was still working then)!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Another interview, this one from Melbourne.

http://www.gold1043.com.au/shows/breakfast/listen/brig-lehmo-chat-with-glenn-frey

VAisForEagleLovers
10-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Looks like we missed getting this posted. An interview from the west coast of Australia from last week...

http://www.mix.com.au/shows/thebigcouch/blog/listen-in-glenn-frey-takes-it-easy/20121004-hcuy.html

VAisForEagleLovers
10-16-2012, 10:06 PM
I can't view this, but maybe those who can view it can watch it and report back? It's the Fox Sports Golf Interview Glenn did while in Australia.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/Golf/glenn-frey-on-the-golf-show/video-e6frf3oc-1226497423308?subcat=1225864537841&site=FoxSports

Freypower
10-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Ah yes. The New South Wales course, in my spiritual heartland, the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney (I would still be living there if I had my way & that is where my Sydney Roosters Rugby League team are based).

http://www.nswgolfclub.com.au/welcome/index.mhtml

(Supporters of South Sydney may claim La Perouse is part of their territory. HA!)

It was mainly about golf. He said that of the pro golfers he knew Peter Jacobsen & the late Payne Stewart were decent musicians. He talked about the connection between Pebble Beach & After Hours. He also said that he was very excited to be playing with all the symphony orchestras here & in NZ (NZ dates still haven't been announced).

Bear with me & I will do some screen shots.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Bear with me & I will do some screen shots.

I was so hoping you'd say that! I tweeted the guy who told me to look for a Fox Sports Golf interview 'in a few weeks' and asked why it wasn't viewable in the US. He said it wasn't his, his will be aired in a week or two. His name is Brenton Speed. So I guess we'll get to see more.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-17-2012, 10:27 AM
A little additional info...

"He sent a copy of After Hours to Ronstadt, who replied with a note telling Frey she loved the record, in particular the cover of Newman's Same Girl."

"Frey and his songwriting buddy Don Henley are working with producer Rita Wilson on a Broadway musical incorporating their music, called Hotel California. They have enlisted director Michael Mayer, famed for the rock musicals Spring Awakening and Green Day's American Idiot, and the script is currently being polished. The only sure thing is that the musical will feature wall-to-wall Eagles hits. 'That's the point and it's not just the songs from Hotel California,' Frey says. 'One of those Nights, Desperado, Lyin' Eyes, The King of Hollywood, Witchy Woman - there's so many other songs that fit into what happens at the hotel . . . hopefully we'll have something together for 2014.'"

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entertainment/a/-/music/15142377/hours-of-favourites/

Brooke
10-17-2012, 10:48 AM
:hmm: Interesting!

sodascouts
10-17-2012, 12:11 PM
You know, if they have a good enough story, I could see this being enjoyable. Glenn sure seems jazzed about it, which is encouraging.

Cool he still keeps in touch with Linda!

Brooke
10-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Yeah, his comments at least have peeked my interest! I was very skeptical before now.

Freypower
10-17-2012, 04:42 PM
A little additional info...

"He sent a copy of After Hours to Ronstadt, who replied with a note telling Frey she loved the record, in particular the cover of Newman's Same Girl."

"Frey and his songwriting buddy Don Henley are working with producer Rita Wilson on a Broadway musical incorporating their music, called Hotel California. They have enlisted director Michael Mayer, famed for the rock musicals Spring Awakening and Green Day's American Idiot, and the script is currently being polished. The only sure thing is that the musical will feature wall-to-wall Eagles hits. 'That's the point and it's not just the songs from Hotel California,' Frey says. 'One of those Nights, Desperado, Lyin' Eyes, The King of Hollywood, Witchy Woman - there's so many other songs that fit into what happens at the hotel . . . hopefully we'll have something together for 2014.'"

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entertainment/a/-/music/15142377/hours-of-favourites/

Thank you, Ms Ronstadt! I am 'not alone'.

I can see those songs fitting into a musical now that he's talked about it in that way.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-17-2012, 05:30 PM
When it comes to Same Girl, I find the fact that it's about a junkie and her pimp to be somewhat amusing. While it fits the lyrics, it's the actual music that I have a hard time dealing with. I don't analyze songs in terms of complicated chord progressions (I'm not totally certain I even know what that is). I just know what I like to listen to, and this sounds like a dirge to me. It's right out of Germanic songs written in the late 1400's to the mid 1500's (think of it being played on a pipe organ). I visualize a slow funeral procession when I listen to it. Of course, to me, the true irony of the song is that they are both slowly marching to their own funeral, living the lives they are living.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Good news on the show in Tamworth, it's selling well...

http://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/story/392254/frey-fans-not-taking-it-easy-for-tickets-to-tamworth-concert/

Freypower
10-17-2012, 10:29 PM
When it comes to Same Girl, I find the fact that it's about a junkie and her pimp to be somewhat amusing. While it fits the lyrics, it's the actual music that I have a hard time dealing with. I don't analyze songs in terms of complicated chord progressions (I'm not totally certain I even know what that is). I just know what I like to listen to, and this sounds like a dirge to me. It's right out of Germanic songs written in the late 1400's to the mid 1500's (think of it being played on a pipe organ). I visualize a slow funeral procession when I listen to it. Of course, to me, the true irony of the song is that they are both slowly marching to their own funeral, living the lives they are living.

Well, if you like. For me, as a Newman aficionado, the melody is exquisite. I have never thought of it as being like a funeral march.

Freypower
10-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Good news on the show in Tamworth, it's selling well...

http://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/story/392254/frey-fans-not-taking-it-easy-for-tickets-to-tamworth-concert/

I'd be there if I could; but it isn't fair to my family.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-17-2012, 10:50 PM
The melody is pretty, the piano part even prettier. In the time period I'm thinking of, requiems were songs done to honor someone and were some of the best pieces of music written. In my opinion, all the songs in that that time period were what I've always called 'dark'. There is an official term for them but I'm not bringing it to mind. But the requiems were very somber. If I can think of the particular songs I'm thinking of, I'll post them. I haven't given it much thought since my high school music class, which was a few years ago...

GlennLover
10-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Here's a complimentary review of both Analog Man & After Hours.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/lifeandtimes/twin-solo-efforts-from-two-aging-eagles/551348

Freypower
10-21-2012, 06:26 PM
'Aging'. Well, who isn't. :-x

'Aging rocker but a mellowing one'? IT ISN'T A ROCK ALBUM!!!!

GlennLover
10-22-2012, 02:44 PM
'Aging'. Well, who isn't. :-x

That was my thought too when I read that! :-x

'Aging rocker but a mellowing one'? IT ISN'T A ROCK ALBUM!!!!

That's right! Glenn can still rock with the best of them!!!!

zeldabjr
10-25-2012, 02:02 AM
I heard the song "Misty" tonight....and it made me think of Glenn...this would be a good song for him to do if he ever does an 'After Hours II'....it's always been an absolute favorite of mine...I think he would do it great!

Freypower
10-25-2012, 05:30 PM
I am only familiar with Ray Stevens' country version which I absolutely love.

There is one song I heard recently which I think he could do, and that's Frank Sinatra's Young At Heart. Now that I'm more familiar with the style of song he wanted to do I might be able to make more informed suggestions for After Hours II.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-08-2012, 11:48 PM
A nice interview...

http://www.tampabay.com/features/music/the-good-life-evolves-for-glenn-frey/1260644

Glennsallnighter
11-09-2012, 04:57 AM
I just got that alert a few minutes ago! It's really nice and complimentary. Just a few things struck me

That Glenn :heart: does an hour on the bike every morning! I'd be flat after 5 mins!
And I would NOT have the energy to make a call from it!

Glenn's advice to His kids in college was very good! 'Have fun but turn up'.

I hope he has a wonderful night playing tomorrow night

Tiffanny Twisted
11-09-2012, 07:34 AM
I loved this article. He is such a great guy humble and human with such talent:smitten:

VAisForEagleLovers
11-21-2012, 08:21 AM
As most of you know, I've been staying at my sister's this week, and on Sunday she surprised me by playing a CD of 'Standards/Vocals'. Actually a very nice CD by Eva Cassidy, and I mentioned that I didn't realize she liked that music. She replied with, 'Sometimes.' So when I ran out to the store Monday morning to get Zep's Celebration, I picked up Glenn's CD as well and gave it to her. She took it with her this morning to listen on her commute. We'll see what she says about it (she normally listens to country music).

Tiffanny Twisted
11-21-2012, 09:23 AM
it was kind of you to think of your sisiter and I am sure that she is gonna love it.
Hope u are feeling better :)

11-21-2012, 12:43 PM
OMG VA - I can't wait to hear what she thinks. Before you know it, she'll be wanting to hit the concert trail with with you! :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
11-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Actually if he would have played closer to Pittsburgh she'd have gone. She definitely wants to see the Eagles, but not VIP prices. She thought about Vegas...

VAisForEagleLovers
01-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Glenn did an in-studio interview with this guy back in October, this is a phone interview. Enjoy!

http://www.2ue.com.au/blogs/2ue-blog/glenn-frey-at-sydney-opera-house/20130117-2cva4.html

VAisForEagleLovers
01-17-2013, 09:55 AM
At the very end, after Tequila Sunrise, "Such a humble, nice bloke..." Sweet!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-18-2013, 06:21 PM
This interview is about the documentary and After Hours.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10859995

sodascouts
01-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Another interview, this one from Brisbane.

http://www.989fm.com.au/podcasts/dan-interviews-eagles-legend-glenn-frey/

sodascouts
01-19-2013, 06:52 PM
I can't get enough of Glenn! Thanks for posting this. I sure wish I could go to Australia, especially Sydney and its famous Opera House.

I didn't realize he'd flown out to visit his girlfriend in California a couple times before moving there in the 60s. Love to learn new things! His memory continues to amaze.

He has such a great speaking voice.

My favorite part is when he says he'll never stop making music! WOOT!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-19-2013, 07:14 PM
I can't get enough of Glenn! Thanks for posting this. I sure wish I could go to Australia, especially Sydney and its famous Opera House.

Who can? I really wish I could go, too. I love the songs on After Hours and nothing beats hearing him sing them live.

I didn't realize he'd flown out to visit his girlfriend in California a couple times before moving there in the 60s. Love to learn new things! His memory continues to amaze.

This came as a surprise to me, too. In previous interviews I'd gotten the impression the move was a bit impulsive, but this made it sound like he'd planned it out.

This was my favorite part as well, because I'll never get enough of his music.

Freypower
01-19-2013, 11:10 PM

Well, Soda, I wish you could have come too. :sad:

sodascouts
01-19-2013, 11:37 PM
I love Australia. I'm confident I'll go back there one day, provided I don't die prematurely!

GlennLover
01-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Oh, to be able to see those concerts!

Glenn mentioned that he just sat down with Don for an interview. I want to see or hear that too!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Glenn was on 4BC in Brisbane a little while ago. Not sure what their website is, but I won't be able to look for it. Going to bed soon and will be at the office all day tomorrow.

Freypower
01-23-2013, 10:22 PM
It's here but I couldn't get it to play.

http://www.4bc.com.au/blogs/4bc-blog/glenn-frey-with-breakfast/20121002-26wks.html

GlennLover
01-24-2013, 12:56 AM
I can't get it to play either. The interview is archived & it is dated Oct 12, 2012. :shrug:

VAisForEagleLovers
01-24-2013, 02:09 PM
They hadn't gotten the new one up yet when FP looked, I guess. This is it.

http://www.4bc.com.au/blogs/2013-4bc-mornings-audio-blog/the-eagles-glen-frey/20130124-2d9gr.html#.UQF40ic0V8E

GlennLover
01-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Thanks, VA! I wondered if that might have been the case that it hadn't been posted yet.

Freypower
01-24-2013, 03:56 PM
:faint:I've just realised he's just done this so it's hot off the press. He may do a couple more of these before he arrives.

GlennLover
01-24-2013, 04:01 PM
:faint:I've just realised he's just done this so it's hot off the press. He may do a couple more of these before he arrives.

More, more, more!!!

Freypower
01-24-2013, 04:02 PM
He took A QUESTION from a member of the public!!!

GlennLover
01-24-2013, 04:04 PM

Maybe he will do more of this! Keep your fingers crossed, FP!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-24-2013, 04:09 PM

I think all of the ones I've posted from Australia in the last two weeks were done the day I posted them, or the day before in your case.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Another new interview from Glenn, this one on 3AW News Talk.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/denis-walter-blog/glenn-frey-with-denis-walter/20130125-2dblw.html

Glennsallnighter
01-25-2013, 11:05 AM

If you got the chance FP, what would you ask him?

01-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Wow - It's great to listen to all of these interviews. I love that line that's it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on. :lol:

And that is one rockin' version of Already Gone on the page with the Denis Walter interview. I watched that and then listened to the interview. While watching, it struck me how ironic it is that the Eagle that really wanted the band to rock and roll so much is now the one who has recorded this album of mellow music with an orchestra backing him in some cases. Does that mean he has come full circle? :grin:

Freypower
01-25-2013, 06:11 PM
If you got the chance FP, what would you ask him?

It's hard to know. I suppose it would have something to do with how he recorded the vocals, how he felt as he sang the songs.

I notice & was gratified to hear that he said both Brian Wilson & Randy Newman have heard his versions of their songs (he also mentioned Hal David who is no longer with us, unfortunately).

When he talked about watching the audience live through their emotions I found that exciting. I hope as an audience member I can show sufficient appreciation.

Regarding Dreamer's point about he was the one who went 'mellow' it was certainly a surprise when he did but I guess it shows how he has evolved.

(By the way Denis Walter is or was a singer himself, more in the classical music mould).

GlennLover
01-25-2013, 10:47 PM
It's hard to know. I suppose it would have something to do with how he recorded the vocals, how he felt as he sang the songs.

I notice & was gratified to hear that he said both Brian Wilson & Randy Newman have heard his versions of their songs (he also mentioned Hal David who is no longer with us, unfortunately).

When he talked about watching the audience live through their emotions I found that exciting. I hope as an audience member I can show sufficient appreciation.

Regarding Dreamer's point about he was the one who went 'mellow' it was certainly a surprise when he did but I guess it shows how he has evolved.

(By the way Denis Walter is or was a singer himself, more in the classical music mould).

FP, you don't have to worry about sufficiently showing your appreciation. I have seen your passion for Glenn at 2 of his concerts & I'm sure he will have no trouble recognizing your admiration for him. You are a true fan.

I was surprised he mentioned Hal David too as in a previous interview, a couple of weeks after Mr David's death, he mentioned that he had recently passed away. I assume that this interview was taped this week as the other one we heard yesterday.

I'm certainly glad that he has "mellowed" & given us "After Hours", but he did say in one interview not too long ago that he still loves rock & that he has just as much fun playing his rock songs as he does his "After Hours" material. I love them both!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-25-2013, 10:51 PM
FP, you don't have to worry about sufficiently showing your appreciation. I have seen your passion for Glenn at 2 of his concerts & I'm sure he will have no trouble recognizing your admiration for him. You are a true fan.

I was surprised he mentioned Hal David too as in a previous interview, a couple of weeks after Mr David's death, he mentioned that he had recently passed away. I assume that this interview was taped this week as the other one we heard yesterday.

I'm certainly glad that he has "mellowed" & given us "After Hours", but he did say in one interview not too long ago that he still loves rock & that he has just as much fun playing his rock songs as he does his "After Hours" material. I love them both!

Hal David passed over our Labor Day weekend, I want to say it was Sept.1, but maybe Aug. 31. So perhaps Glenn meant before that.

GlennLover
01-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Hal David passed over our Labor Day weekend, I want to say it was Sept.1, but maybe Aug. 31. So perhaps Glenn meant before that.

Just out of curiosity I checked. It was Sept 1. I just remember that the interview I was referring to was only a few weeks after his death because Glenn mistakenly said that we lost him a "few months ago". That just stuck in my mind for some reason. Anyway, Glenn did know that Hal David had passed away. He could have forgotten too. I suppose it's easy to lose track of time passing & to forget the odd fact with his hectic schedule. :)

Freypower
01-26-2013, 05:20 PM

I may have worded that wrong. I perhaps should have said I don't want to overdo it. When I took endless photos in December 2010 I think he got the point then in a way.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Glenn will be on Hot Breakfast(Triple M) at 7:30 local time, which I think is 4:30 ET.

http://www.triplem.com.au/adelaide/

VAisForEagleLovers
02-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Glenn will be on Kev Kellaway (Newcastle, Australia) on Friday... Unfortunately, it'll be about 2am ET. Hopefully, there will be a podcast.

http://www.newcastle.edu.au//2nurfm/

sodascouts
02-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the heads-up!

sodascouts
02-15-2013, 12:02 AM
I was just listening to this interview (http://www.4bc.com.au/blogs/2013-4bc-mornings-audio-blog/the-eagles-glen-frey/20130124-2d9gr.html#.UR2uIWdq_HE) and in it, Glenn says they might work on some new songs, and also that they plan on going on the road shortly after the release of the DVD. This was posted on January 24....

"In April, the History of the Eagles 2-part 3-and-a-half hour DVD will be on the market... and our plan is to sometime shortly thereafter, to go on the road and kinda rework our setlist and maybe include some historical footage and some other interesting stuff, and go out and plow through our career one more time."

So we'll see, I guess, if that's changed.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-21-2013, 12:40 PM
An audio interview ahead of the New Zealand concerts. I've decided to start putting these here since once the anticipation threads are closed, no one can comment on the interviews.

http://13thfloor.co.nz/tag/glenn-frey-interview/

VAisForEagleLovers
02-21-2013, 12:59 PM
He's still saying he wants to do another record like After Hours! This is great news, for me, at least.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Talking about the upcoming tour for Eagles, "EXPAND THE SHOW TO THREE HOURS"!!!! Yes yes yes!!!

GlennLover
02-21-2013, 04:09 PM
I was so excited when I heard him mention both another album & the return of the 3 hr concerts! Woo Hoo! :partytime:

Troubadour
02-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Very cool!

02-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Don't want to be Debby Downer - Now, I welcome new music anytime, but, how about an album of your own material Glenn ... that's what would really send me over the top!

But, on a much higher note - the return of the 3-hour concert makes me ecstatic!!! :blueblob::blueblob::blueblob:

Freypower
02-24-2013, 12:40 AM
He's still saying he wants to do another record like After Hours! This is great news, for me, at least.

Agreed.

sodascouts
02-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Don't want to be Debby Downer - Now, I welcome new music anytime, but, how about an album of your own material Glenn ... that's what would really send me over the top!

But, on a much higher note - the return of the 3-hour concert makes me ecstatic!!! :blueblob::blueblob::blueblob:

I'm with you that I'd rather hear original material, but I'll take what I can get just to hear that voice!

As for the three hour concert return...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GlennLover
03-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Just got this in my Google alerts, a generally positive review.

I don't remember reading it before, so my apologies if it has already been posted (my memory isn't too good these days).

http://www.thedwarf.com.au/album_review/glenn-frey-after-hours-1

VAisForEagleLovers
03-15-2013, 09:23 PM
It hasn't been posted! I was wondering why she's just now reviewing it.

Tiffanny Twisted
03-15-2013, 09:31 PM
new glenn music YES
New tour ...three hours....plow through our career...oh YES:partytime::partytime::partytime::thumbsup::thu mbsup:

Freypower
03-15-2013, 09:39 PM
'For his most passionate fans'.

Yes, it is.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-22-2013, 08:19 PM
A short (and late) but nice review of AH:

http://www.thecoast.net.nz/life/albumreview/album-review-glenn-frey--after-hours

Glennsallnighter
05-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Nice review VA, thanks for posting. Pity though they couldn't spell his name right though........:nahnah:

GlennLover
05-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Also they referred to him as an ex-Eagle!:-x

AEW21
08-04-2013, 11:42 PM
I'm sure this is ooooold news (new to me), but I just discovered this December 2012 interview Glenn did with a NZ radio station. (http://www.radiolive.co.nz/Singer-musician--songwriter-Glenn-Frey-of-The-Eagles/tabid/506/articleID/32644/Default.aspx) 20 minutes long, and I love it because he really reminisces about the days at the Troubadour, and while he talks about the usual suspects--JD, Linda, Jackson, Don--he also talks about Mike Nesmith, Judee Sill and Steve Martin--I love that Glenn plugs Steve's banjo music and band! He talks with a lot of fondness for the time and what kismet it was all these people were all in Southern California at this time, pursuing similar passions.

That said, if you're doing a drinking game for eveytime Glenn says "You know," you're drunk about 5 minutes in. ;)