PDA

View Full Version : Borderers' Favourite Eagles/Solo Songs

Freypower
04-10-2012, 06:55 PM
If Soda wishes to make this sticky or not, or edit any information in it, that's fine.

The idea is to give fellow Borderers a list of your favourite Eagles/solo songs or at least what they are today. You can update them at any time. Also put your favourite members in your own order if you wish! Mine is actually apart from Glenn in order of my familiarity with their work.

So because I've started the thread here are mine:

Eagles - Hotel California (but this could change soon. I have kept it as my favourite for this long more out of sentiment).

Glenn Frey - Part Of Me, Part Of You

Don Henley - The Boys Of Summer (this is out of sentiment; I am tempted to change it).

Joe Walsh - Turn To Stone

Timothy B. Schmit - Downtime

VAisForEagleLovers
04-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Eagles - These change frequently, but One of These Nights, New Kid in Town. Tequila Sunrise is a good backup. Except when they all disappear from the set list.

Glenn Frey - I think it will be The Look of Love. For now, I'll say True Love.

Don Henley - Heart of the Matter

Joe Walsh - Walk Away

I honestly can't name a favorite Tim song.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-10-2012, 07:25 PM
As I've said before, I really can't name a single favorite for the band of any of the guys. Heck - I'm usually lucky if I can narrow it down to 10 songs :shrug:

Tori
04-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Oh, man. This is hard, but I'll try.

Don Henley - The Boys Of Summer

Glenn Frey - it switches between The Heat Is On and You Belong To The City

Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good

Timothy B. Schmit - Friday Night

Eagles - Ever since I was a kid it's been a definitive five-way tie: Hotel California, Life In The Fast Lane, Learn To Be Still, Victim Of Love, and Wasted Time.

Windeagle
04-10-2012, 08:12 PM
My favorites tend not to be the hits. These may change tomorrow, but for now, here goes:

Eagles - After The Thrill Is Gone

Henley - Lilah

Frey - Long Hot Summer

Walsh - Help Me Through The Night

Sorry, Timothy, I don't know any of your solo songs.

Prettymaid
04-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Glenn - You Belong To The City

Don - Heart of the Matter

Joe - Walk Away (with In the City a close second)

Timothy - Parachute (I also like Friday Night, Downtime and A Good Day - Expando was a great album for him!)

Eagles - Hotel California or Take It Easy

Remember last year when we played Eagles Song Survivor All Stars? I had a difficult time choosing with my head (HC) or my heart (TIE). https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3250&page=22

WalshFan88
04-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Eagles - Hotel California

Frey - The Heat Is On

Henley - The Boys Of Summer

Walsh - Life's Been Good

Schmit - Secular Praise

timfan
04-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Eagles- Lyin Eyes

Glenn- River of Dreams

Don- The End of the Innocence

Joe- One Day at a Time ( I know we haven't heard his solo version yet but.. I have always thought of this song as so personal to Joe!)

Timothy- Secular Praise

Victim of Love
04-10-2012, 10:12 PM
In no particular order....

Glenn - You Belong To The City

Don - Last Worthless Evening

Joe - Ordinary Average Guy

Timothy - The Shadow

Eagles - The Best of My Love, Hotel California, Waiting in the Weeds

EaglesKiwi
04-11-2012, 04:35 AM
Don - The Heart Of The Matter (okay, this is going to cue everybody to our votes in Survivor!)
Glenn - You Belong To The City (closely followed by POMPOY)
Joe - Life's Been Good
Tim - to be advised (Expando is on order, & should be arriving any day now!)

Eagles - I have a 5-way tie too:
What Do I Do With My Heart, Waiting In The Weeds, Long Road Out of Eden, New Kid In Town, Sad Cafe

TimothyBFan
04-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Before I start, I have to say one thing: WHAT IS UP WITH ALL THE 'I DON'T KNOW TIM'S SOLO SONGS'? :headscratch::brickwall: Apparently I haven't done my job here! Geesh----I need to start a campaign to rectify that and soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the shouting!! I still love you all!!

Eagles-- Best Of My Love (it goes back and forth between TITTL, BOML and, since LROOE, WITW)

Timothy- Secular Praise (many of you here know how that hit me from the very first time I heard it at the solo concert in Chicago. I still remember the breakdown in the tanning bed shortly after the release, at a vulnerable time in my life. Even now, after hearing it a gazillion times, it can still take me right to my knees and send me into tears. I treasure the beautiful signature bar & cover for my FB acct that Lou made for me and the beautiful video Cathy made after my Mom passed away last summer of the song!)

Don-The Heart Of The Matter (This never changes)

Joe-Life's Been Good (Sentimental reasons from 30 years ago and a trip to Great America that that song was played over and over from)

Glenn- You Belong To The City (That horn kills me!!!!)

Windeagle
04-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Before I start, I have to say one thing: WHAT IS UP WITH ALL THE 'I DON'T KNOW TIM'S SOLO SONGS'? :headscratch::brickwall: Apparently I haven't done my job here! Geesh----I need to start a campaign to rectify that and soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the shouting!! I still love you all!!

<ducks>

Sorry, TBF! In my defense, I didn't know many of Glenn's solo songs or Don's and Joe's newer solo songs until very recently. Heck, I just listened to Inside Job for the first time within the last month! I just haven't gotten to Timothy yet. :)

As a Timothy fan, where do you think I should start? What would you recommend?

VAisForEagleLovers
04-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Don - The Heart Of The Matter (okay, this is going to cue everybody to our votes in Survivor!)
Glenn - You Belong To The City (closely followed by POMPOY)
Joe - Life's Been Good
Tim - to be advised (Expando is on order, & should be arriving any day now!)

Eagles - I have a 5-way tie too:
What Do I Do With My Heart, Waiting In The Weeds, Long Road Out of Eden, New Kid In Town, Sad Cafe

EK, I have to say, What Do I Do With My Heart is the song I listen to the most. When I made my list, I was in a concert frame of mind, and oddly enough, I don't feel the need to hear this song in concert. OOTN should be mandatory at all concerts, IMO.

TimothyBFan
04-11-2012, 09:59 AM
<ducks>

Sorry, TBF! In my defense, I didn't know many of Glenn's solo songs or Don's and Joe's newer solo songs until very recently. Heck, I just listened to Inside Job for the first time within the last month! I just haven't gotten to Timothy yet. :)

As a Timothy fan, where do you think I should start? What would you recommend?

I'll forgive you since you're willing to make an effort. :hilarious:

IMO---I think Expando is his best work!! It's all HIS!!! He really poured his heart and soul into this album and it shows. Here's my order of his albums.

1. Expando (Secular Praise, Parachute, Friday Night...)
2. Feed The Fire (Every Song Is You, The Shadow, Top Of The Stairs, Make You Feel My Love)
3. Tell Me The Truth (Something Sad, Down By The River, It Wasn't Just The Moonlight)
4. Timothy B. (A Better Day Is Coming, Boy's Night Out, Don't Give Up)
5. Playin' It Cool (So Much In Love, Tell Me What You Dream, Wrong Number)

Each one has a couple rockers on it but for the most part, as you would expect, it's pretty mellow listening. My advise is start with Expando since it's the most recent and easiest to get. His albums are pretty rare and last I've priced them, they are hard to get especially at a reasonable price. I'm proud to say I have them all on vinyl and cd and a couple on cassette. :hilarious:

whitcap
04-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Eagles - Take It to the Limit and Take the Devil
Glenn - Love in the 21st Century
Don - The End of the Innocence
Joe - A Life of Illusion
Timothy - Top of the Stairs
Randy - All of them although if I had to pick one it would be Hearts on Fire
Bernie - Backup Plan
Felder - Haywire

In regard to Timothy's solo stuff I'd like to add that Timothy's first album, Playin' It Cool, is available for download on Amazon and iTunes for about 9 dollars.

Troubadour
04-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Eagles - Wasted Time, Lyin' Eyes, One of these Nights
Don - The End of the Innocence, The Heart of the Matter
Glenn - The One You Love, River of Dreams
Joe - Help Me Thru The Night, Life's Been Good, Walk Away
Timothy - Downtime, Parachute

sodascouts
04-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Eagles - Take It to the Limit

Glenn - Part of Me, Part of You

Joe - Help Me Thru the Night

Tim - Every Song Is You

Randy - Gotta Get Away

Bernie - As Time Goes On

Don Felder - Heavy Metal

Brooke
04-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Ok, so, I was trying to narrow it down to one song for each of the guys, but then some of you are doing more than one each, so here goes:

Eagles-Take It Easy, my all time favorite since the very beginning. Hotel California would be next, then Waiting In The Weeds

Glenn-Part of Me, Part of You, 2nd-True Love

Don-Heart of the Matter, 2nd-The Boys of Summer

Joe-Life's Been Good-it's just so fun! Then Turn To Stone

Tim-Secular Praise and Friday Night

zeldabjr
04-11-2012, 04:15 PM
I have one absolute and total favorite..no doubt..."I Can't Tell You Why"... after that maybe "New York Minute" for Don... after that no absolute faves.

Shadowland07
04-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Eagles - One of These Nights

Glenn - You Belong to the City

Don - The Heart of the Matter

Joe - Help Me Thru the Night (A Life of Illusion is close though)

Tim - I dunno any...sorry

EaglesKiwi
04-11-2012, 11:51 PM
I have to confess, I didn't have ANY of the guys' solo stuff until after I joined The Border. :nahnah:

I got Don's BTPB and EOI first off i-Tunes, and have had to track everything else down. (iTunes over here doesn't have the same range as other parts of the world. Don't get me started. :brickwall:).

I managed to borrow Expando from the library a while ago and loved it, and have ordered a copy - which is being shipped from 13,000 miles away! Inside Job, I Can't Stand Still and the deluxe version of Very Best of Don Henley had to be shipped in from America. I also have After Hours and Analog Man on order from the US.

However I did manage to pick up a copy of the single of ILBTs on vinyl, locally. :hilarious: We also have The Smoker You Drink and No Fun Aloud on vinyl (again, both are recent purchases).

zeldabjr
04-12-2012, 12:14 AM
[QUOTE=TimothyBFan;178144]Before I start, I have to say one thing: WHAT IS UP WITH ALL THE 'I DON'T KNOW TIM'S SOLO SONGS'? :headscratch::brickwall: Apparently I haven't done my job here! Geesh----I need to start a campaign to rectify that and soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the shouting!! I still love you all!!

This cracked me up when I read it...I was thinking the same thing but have not been here long enough to scold anyone!:hilarious:

Zelda

TimothyBFan
04-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Don't worry, Zelda, I've got it covered. They know I still love them but they also know I'm not gonna let that kind of nonsense go without letting them know I'm not happy. :fingerwag::hilarious:

zeldabjr
04-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Don't worry, Zelda, I've got it covered. They know I still love them but they also know I'm not gonna let that kind of nonsense go without letting them know I'm not happy. :fingerwag::hilarious:

I figured you would!:)

EaglesFanatic
04-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Here's my list. I know how dangerous it is for me to put Glenn Frey at the bottom of a list on the Border :lol:, but I just don't enjoy his solo collection as much as the others.

Joe - I can't even begin to choose a favorite... :hilarious: I have so many (Help Me Thru the Night, Indian Summer, Walk Away, Meadows, and the list goes on)

Don H - Heart of the Matter, or Boys of Summer

Timothy - Parachute

Glenn - Strange Weather

Eagles - Take It To The Limit (not only is it my favorite Eagles song, but my favorite song overall)

BBKron
04-12-2012, 01:03 PM
An interesting exercise, I suppose, to try to narrow down all their great songs to the single one that is most favorite. But very difficult, and because there are so many classic songs of nearly comparable quality, not sure just what the answers really tell us. But, as usual, very interesting to see everyone's choices. Here are mine.

Eagles - Desperado. My very favorite (but of course, it MUST be followed by the Desperado Reprise. The song is just not finished, complete, or whole without the Reprise ending - Unfortunately, this is something that the Eagles themselves never seemed to fully appreciate, as they NEVER finish the song with the reprise in concert. Please, for the 40th ann. tour - Finally FINISH the song the way it should end.

Glenn - You Belong to the City

Joe - The Worry Song (OK, maybe not his greatest song, but it is just so much fun, it has become a favorite, and Joe's comic timing and phrasing throughout are just perfect).

Tim - Love Will Keep Us Alive (I Know, you're saying this is not a 'solo' song, but really, it was developed for a solo project with Paul Carrack that never materialized, then was later released on the Eagles reunion album (HFO), so it was originally a solo song. Besides, it always sounded to me more like a Poco song than an Eagles song. For a truly non-Eagles song, I would have to go with Tim and Poco's Keep On Tryin', which may be his best self-penned song.

Bernie - How Can You Live Without Love (Just beautiful). Also Train Leaves Here This Morning (which was written and recorded with Gene Clark long before he came to the Eagles.

Randy - Hearts On Fire

EaglesKiwi
04-13-2012, 05:06 AM
Eagles - Desperado. My very favorite (but of course, it MUST be followed by the Desperado Reprise. The song is just not finished, complete, or whole without the Reprise ending - Unfortunately, this is something that the Eagles themselves never seemed to fully appreciate, as they NEVER finish the song with the reprise in concert. Please, for the 40th ann. tour - Finally FINISH the song the way it should end.
Yes please, I'd love to hear the Reprise in concert!

Although to FULLY appreciate the song, you really need to hear the whole album - get the whole story from start to finish. :)

Freypower
04-13-2012, 08:57 PM
The problem with finishing with the Reprise is the way Desperado is now performed. It is entirely a showcase for Don Henley's vocals. If the Reprise were added to the end, the 'showcase' aspect of it would be lessened. I also would like to see the other members of the band be more involved in the closing song which is why I have always believed the closing song should be Take It Easy. The band also no longer plays Tequila Sunrise either, so they appear to have distanced themselves from the Desperado album while highlighting the importance of the song.

Now I thought as perhaps the original question 'what is your favourite song by each member' is perhaps a bit too limiting, I will now list songs by all current members & the band which I regard as being very special to me personally. These will not include the songs I listed as my favourites earlier, apart from POMPOY, which cannot be excluded.

Eagles: New Kid In Town, Lyin' Eyes, Heartache Tonight, Long Road Out Of Eden, I Love To Watch A Woman Dance (I said it is special to me).

* Not Take It Easy? Not at the moment, frankly.

Glenn: POMPOY is Glenn's Stairway To Heaven & is so important to me I can't leave it out. After Hours, Smuggler's Blues, A Walk In The Dark, This Way To Happiness, River Of Dreams, He Took Advantage. I had better stop there.

Don: Love Rules, A Month Of Sundays, Damn It, Rose, Goodbye To A River

Joe: Rocky Mountain Way, Second Hand Store, At The Station, Rosewood Bitters

Tim: Down By The River, Parachute, One More Mile, A Good Day

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-18-2013, 02:55 AM
Eagles- Take It To the Limit

Don Henley- Boys of Summer

Joe Walsh- Turn To Stone

Randy Meisner- Never Been In Love

Glenn Frey- I actually dont like any of his solo stuff, from what i've heard so far! (dont hate me!)

Tim- Boys Night Out

Haven't heard anything of Don F.'s or Bernie's solo stuff!

Houston Debutante
03-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Eagles ~ Best of My Love

Don Henley ~ Talking to the Moon

Glenn Frey ~ You Belong to the City

Joe Walsh ~ Walk Away (does James Gang count?)

Tim, Randy, Don Felder, Bernie ~ still becoming familiar with their material.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Eagles - One of These Nights

Glenn - Here's To Life has replaced my previous favorite (Strange Weather)

Joe - Walk Away

Tim - Friday Night

Don Felder - Wash Away

sodascouts
03-18-2013, 03:19 PM
I have to fix my list. It was made before the release of Road to Forever, and I now have a new Don Felder favorite: Wash Away.

So, my new list:

Eagles - Take It to the Limit

Glenn - Part of Me, Part of You

Joe - Help Me Thru the Night

Tim - Every Song Is You

Randy - Gotta Get Away

Bernie - As Time Goes On

Don Felder - Wash Away

Grey Sadler
03-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Weeeeelllll...as of right this minute...

Eagles - Take It to the Limit/One of These Nights/Peaceful Easy Feeling

Glenn - Caroline, No

Don Henley - I Can't Stand Still/The Boys of Summer

Joe - Walk Away

Randy - Never Been in Love

sorry...don't know enough about solo efforts from Bernie, Tim, or Don F. yet...:sad:

WalshFan88
03-18-2013, 08:54 PM
I might as well update my list as well-

Eagles - Hotel California

Glenn - The Heat Is On

Don H - The Boys Of Summer

Joe - Life's Been Good

Don F - Girls In Black

Tim - Friday Night

I'm not familiar with Bernie or Randy's solo work, TBH until recently I didn't realize they had solo material. I will have to listen to it and update this!

Grey Sadler
03-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Psst...Austin...help me out with some good Felder tunes, and I'll do the same with some Randy songs!! :thumbsup:

Ive always been a dreamer
03-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Wow - This thread is almost a year old and I still can't pick a single favorite song for the band or any of the guys solo work. There are just WAY too many great songs for me to narrow it down to one. Heck - I'd struggle to come up with a Top 10 list for them. I guess it's a pretty good problem to have though. :lol:

Freypower
03-19-2013, 05:49 PM
I can give two amendments:

Eagles: New Kid In Town
Felder: Asphalt Jungle

Henley: I am now torn. I don't think it's BOS any more. I think it is either Love Rules, Damn It, Rose or Goodbye To A River. In fact maybe it's A Month Of Sundays. That's it. My favourite Henley song is A Month Of Sundays.

I have just decided to listen to Road To Forever again. I don't know if I will decide one of these tracks will be a 'favourite' Felder track but frankly, I doubt it.

Outlawman13
03-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Wow - This thread is almost a year old and I still can't pick a single favorite song for the band or any of the guys solo work. There are just WAY too many great songs for me to narrow it down to one. Heck - I'd struggle to come up with a Top 10 list for them. I guess it's a pretty good problem to have though. :lol:

LOL I have the same problem!!!!! They are all amazing in my book.