PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "After Hours"!

Pages : 1 [2]

Dawn
12-10-2017, 01:22 AM
I listened to After Hours in its entirety after work today for the first time and it is truly a magnificent album. I can see why Glenn enjoyed making it.

It's very special, what a great gift for his parents, they must have been over the moon thrilled.

sodascouts
12-10-2017, 02:04 AM
A gift for us too. We were so lucky he made that final album.

Dawn
12-10-2017, 03:19 AM

Yes, that's so true. I am very thankful he made the album.

Freypower
12-10-2017, 04:49 PM

Indeed. There is far more to it than it being a gift for his parents.

Dawn
12-10-2017, 10:17 PM
Yes, I just meant his desire to make an album of music his parents loved and listened to when he was growing up was part of his inspiration. He was also inspired by Linda Ronstadt's collaborative work with Nelson Riddle.

Pippinwhite
12-11-2017, 10:10 AM
"The Look of Love" and "Shadow of Your Smile" are simply transcendent! So beautiful! His voice is like pure spring water.

NightMistBlue
12-11-2017, 01:49 PM
The Art of the Song COMPLETE Tribute to Glenn Frey

Parts 1,2 and 3 Transcript and Audio

Radio Interview in Pasadena 2012 in advance of the release of After Hours. I had only been able to find and read Part 3 so I was happy to discover the complete series is available online.

https://artofthesong.org/glenn-frey-interview-part-1-a-tribute/

It's hard to believe we are only a few short weeks away from the second anniversary of Glenn's passing. I sure do miss him but it helps to focus on celebrating his life and enjoying his records, especially AH which he truly loved making.

Thank you for sharing that interview, it's wonderful. I had listened to the audio a couple years ago, but missed/forgot some details. I really like when he talks about a singer's voice taking on some of the timbre of the instruments he or she is singing with. I had noticed this with Peter Cetera's voice on the Chicago records, taking on a bit of the timbre of the horns (or maybe just making adjustments so he could be heard over them!). I love it when musicians talk shop.

But it's a little sad too, because you can sense Glenn's vitality, even just from reading the transcript.

P.S. When Glenn is talking about getting a songwriting credit on "Take It Easy" and then later "giving it back" to Jackson, anybody know what he means? Surely Glenn wouldn't give up his songwriting credit.

Dawn
12-11-2017, 04:27 PM
"The Look of Love" and "Shadow of Your Smile" are simply transcendent! So beautiful! His voice is like pure spring water.

Love those songs too!

I used to think Caroline, No was my favorite but after listening to the entire album again I honestly don't think I can choose one song over another. They are all so beautufully arranged and sung.

Dawn
12-11-2017, 04:32 PM
Hi NMB, I am wondering the same thing too. What did Glenn Frey mean about the songwriting credit? I hope someone can help us out.

Glad you enjoyed revisiting the Art of the Song interview. IMHO it is one of the most interesting interviews he has given. And yes, I so agree with you about Glenn's vitality. Bittersweet to be sure.

UndertheWire
12-11-2017, 04:56 PM
I don't think Glenn gave up the credit but he may have paid back in another way. For example he bought Jackson an old car which is on the cover of Late for the Sky (the car story is from Henry Diltz). Given how often the Eagles version of the song gets played, I doubt Jackson is worried about sharing the credit.

Pippinwhite
12-11-2017, 05:53 PM
The way I read the quote about Glenn and the songwriting credit was that the success of the song more than paid Jackson back for giving Glenn a little credit. He said "we paid him back a little while later" which indicates to me he was talking about the Eagles as a group.

I did get tickled with him talking about he hadn't read enough books to be a good songwriter at first. I suspect his reading material at that time consisted mainly of car magazines and "other," non-parent approved items. LOL. He was a stoner, and I think I picked up a little sheepishness in his tone.

NightMistBlue
12-11-2017, 06:02 PM
I had to smile at his description of being part of a group of "secret intellectuals" in Aspen :)

groupie2686
04-09-2018, 01:41 PM
So I just got this album and listened to it for the first time this weekend. My feelings are somewhat mixed. I'm not a fan of this kind of music, but Glenn did a beautiful job and it was sweet that he did this for his parents. I thought some of the songs chosen were questionable (I'm not a fan of My Buddy) and listening to song after song, I was waiting for the album to kick it up a bit; after a while, all of the songs sounded the same. After Hours (the song) is gorgeous, though, one of his best with Tempchin. I can't believe they wrote this in the 80s. I would have liked to see another album of Frey/Tempchin originals. I am glad to have Glenn's last work, though.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-09-2018, 02:00 PM
This pretty much sums up how I feel about this album, groupie.

I actually never even posted in this thread until the day of the first anniversary of its release. I didn't want to quash other's excitement over the album and wanted to give it time to see if it grew on me. It did actually somewhat, but it's still my least favorite of Glenn's solo work. It's just not my favorite type of music. As I've said before, I think it speaks volumes that most people's favorite song on the album is the song that Glenn himself wrote with Jack Tempchin.

Having said this, I will say that I absolutely loved the After Hours tour.

Dawn
04-09-2018, 02:29 PM
I love the album every song has it special place but my favorites are The Look of Love, Caroline, No.

Here's the trailer where Glenn talks about the album and why he was glad he waited to do it when he did.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_HezXTiOCNw

I think Glenn said it best himself in the Art of The Song interview when he explained during the making of After Hours he had been a rock and roll star most of his adult life and now he was a "musician". Glenn had a lot of soul and was such a romantic at heart it makes sense to me he would be drawn to the music of his parents generation as well as more contemporary love songs like Caroline, No and The Look of Love.

Pippinwhite
04-09-2018, 02:53 PM
"The Look of Love." Oh my. Love, love it! And Caroline, No. And of course, the title track. His voice is just pure spring water on this album.

groupie2686
04-09-2018, 03:02 PM
I've read that interview too and I appreciate this album meant a lot to him. It's a sweet gesture; this type of music is just not my cup of tea. Maybe it will grow on me with time, as lot of Glenn's work seems to. I would have liked an album of Frey/Tempchin originals more though. It really does speak volumes that After Hours is the favorite song of most...it was better, imo, than all the songs he was covering on the album. Such beautiful imagery.

Pippinwhite
04-09-2018, 03:31 PM
@groupie2686: I understand. I like this genre of music, so it was all great to me. :)

Dawn
04-09-2018, 06:36 PM
I've read that interview too and I appreciate this album meant a lot to him. It's a sweet gesture; this type of music is just not my cup of tea. Maybe it will grow on me with time, as lot of Glenn's work seems to. I would have liked an album of Frey/Tempchin originals more though. It really does speak volumes that After Hours is the favorite song of most...it was better, imo, than all the songs he was covering on the album. Such beautiful imagery.

Hi Groupie, Jack Tempchin recently recorded an album of songs he wrote with Glenn Frey. It's on his webite. I have listened to a few of the songs it's quite good he does a couple of duets that are very nice.

jacktempchin.com

Freypower
04-09-2018, 07:26 PM
So I just got this album and listened to it for the first time this weekend. My feelings are somewhat mixed. I'm not a fan of this kind of music, but Glenn did a beautiful job and it was sweet that he did this for his parents. I thought some of the songs chosen were questionable (I'm not a fan of My Buddy) and listening to song after song, I was waiting for the album to kick it up a bit; after a while, all of the songs sounded the same. After Hours (the song) is gorgeous, though, one of his best with Tempchin. I can't believe they wrote this in the 80s. I would have liked to see another album of Frey/Tempchin originals. I am glad to have Glenn's last work, though.

I agree about My Buddy & also to some extent about I'm Getting Old Before My Time & Worried Mind. I tend to agree that perhaps one more uptempo track to go with Route 66 would have helped.

Also, although I love the song After Hours, it isn't my favourite track here. My favourites are Here's To Life, Same Girl & The Shadow Of Your Smile.

In my view Glenn had done more than enough work with Jack Tempchin. If I could have had anything besides After Hours I would have liked an album of songs he wrote on his own. He was quite capable of that.

Dawn
04-09-2018, 07:40 PM
I agree about My Buddy & also to some extent about I'm Getting Old Before My Time & Worried Mind. I tend to agree that perhaps one more uptempo track to go with Route 66 would have helped.

Also, although I love the song After Hours, it isn't my favourite track here. My favourites are Here's To Life, Same Girl & The Shadow Of Your Smile.

In my view Glenn had done more than enough work with Jack Tempchin. If I could have had anything besides After Hours I would have liked an album of songs he wrote on his own. He was quite capable of that.

Oh yes, Here's To Life - such a beautiful song and all time favorite how could I forget.

Same Girl is also beautifully done. After Hours was never my favorite though I do enjoy the song. I gave the album as holiday gifts and they were well received. I felt it was an honor and a privilege to introduce my friends to a side of Glenn Frey they most likely didn't know existed.

groupie2686
04-10-2018, 10:36 AM

I agree, an album of songs Glenn wrote on his own would have been wonderful. I agree, he was quite capable of that, I love the songs he wrote on his own on LROOE.

Dawn - I've heard that Tempchin released that album but I haven't listened to. I heard one song, Privacy, and I wasn't impressed.

Pippinwhite
04-10-2018, 10:44 AM
@groupie -- At the risk of setting the fox loose in the henhouse, I'll go out on a limb and say, with the notable exception of "Fabulous," the Glenn songs on LROOE are the best on the record.

groupie2686
04-10-2018, 01:15 PM
Pippin - add Waiting in the Weeds to that, and I agree 100%!

Dawn
04-10-2018, 01:40 PM
I agree, an album of songs Glenn wrote on his own would have been wonderful. I agree, he was quite capable of that, I love the songs he wrote on his own on LROOE.

Dawn - I've heard that Tempchin released that album but I haven't listened to. I heard one song, Privacy, and I wasn't impressed.

Yeah, me too.

Brooke
04-10-2018, 02:19 PM

groupie, I can relate to what you are saying. I didn't think it was my cup of tea either. I was not all that excited about this album when I first heard about it. But I did buy it and after listening to it a few times I grew to really like it. And now I love it. Glenn did such a wonderful job with all of the songs on it! It's really beautiful! And it was such a sweet thing to do for his parents! What a great guy! :heart:

I think my favorite song is After Hours.

Freypower
04-10-2018, 06:18 PM
@groupie -- At the risk of setting the fox loose in the henhouse, I'll go out on a limb and say, with the notable exception of "Fabulous," the Glenn songs on LROOE are the best on the record.

Agreed, but I would substitute the title track & WITW for BBF, which does nothing for me.

Freypower
04-10-2018, 06:21 PM

Privacy is dreadful. It's a really clumsy rework of singalong shouted choruses like It's Cold In Here, Partytown & Better In The USA. With a title like that, it could have made for a thought provoking lyric, not vapid stuiff about having no privacy to kiss his baby or whatever it was. Both Glenn & Tempchin were better than that.

shunlvswx
05-08-2018, 09:54 AM
Happy 6th Birthday to After Hours. I finally sat down last year and listen to the whole album. I love the songs.

05-08-2018, 12:46 PM
I'd also like to acknowledge the 6th anniversary of After Hours.

As I've said before, although it's not my favorite of Glenn's solo albums, it is still superbly done both musically and vocally. I'm not a huge fan of this type of music, but I maintain that Glenn's versions of almost all of these songs are among the best I've ever heard. His voice is just incredible.

FreyFollower
05-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Happy Birthday, "After Hours"!! I love this album. Even if the style is not what we would typically listen to, you have to admire how beautiful it is. Back when these songs were originally recorded, they often were sung with little regard to the lyric. I love how Glenn obviously took a great deal of time and care in this project, both vocally and with the musical arrangements. It's a wonderful recording to relax with---just listen to that voice! AAAAAAHHHHH!
It's a great thing that he made this for his folks.

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2018, 04:42 PM
Happy Birthday to After Hours. I love this CD - just to listen to it when I want to wind down and relax. Its a lovely cd to listen to late at night whether I'm driving or at home. For years I would listen to it going to sleep and just drift away to the music on the nights when my hubby was working and I was on my own. Unfortunately he's off the shift now and at home every night now.

shunlvswx
05-08-2019, 08:29 PM
Happy 7th Birthday to After Hours.

CAinOH
05-08-2019, 09:32 PM
Oh, wow! I adore this CD or collection... or whatever you want to call it. I listen to it a lot. Happy birthday, "After Hours!"

sodascouts
05-10-2019, 03:43 PM
A bit belated but....

Happy birthday, After Hours!

We are so lucky we got this...

FreyFollower
05-10-2019, 03:57 PM
A bit belated but....

Happy birthday, After Hours!

We are so lucky we got this...

I so agree! Not only do I love it, my mom adores it!:heart::heart::heart:!

sodascouts
05-11-2019, 02:55 PM
I so agree! Not only do I love it, my mom adores it!:heart::heart::heart:!

My parents really like it, too.

Glennsallnighter
05-11-2019, 05:18 PM
Belated Happy Birthday to the lovely sublime album 'After Hours'. Still up there as one of my favourite albums of all time. Glenn :heart: I'm so glad you released this. You will never be forgotten

05-12-2019, 01:07 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO AFTER HOURS!!!

As many of you know, it is not among my favorites of Glenn's solo work, but I am still so thankful he recorded it. And what a blast many of us Borderers had on Glenn's tour for the album. It was a very special time.

Brooke
05-13-2019, 02:17 PM
Love it! And I didn't think I would but the more I listen to it the more I realize how great of a singer Glenn was! I mean, I can't find a flaw and I love it now!

I was watching bits and pieces of Farewell 1 on tv over the weekend and saw Glenn doing In the City. In my opinion, the part with the falsetto just didn't sound good at all (I really don't care for any falsetto) and I'd forgotten he did that. He sounded great till he did that and after. And it made me again think of how awesome a singer he really was. And I didn't think his voice was holding up very well, but yet, on AH, he sounded fantastic!

UndertheWire
05-04-2020, 03:51 PM
I'm a few days early for the anniversary.

Like many, I have trouble sleeping recently. However, when it's really a problem, I play this album. With the light off and no distractions, I can really listen and enjoy the nuances while becoming more relaxed and I rarely make it to the end without falling asleep. I don't mean that in an insulting way - it's not boredom but more like entering into a hypnotic trance.

Happy eighth birthday, After Hours.

Glennsallnighter
05-04-2020, 07:26 PM

Like many, I have trouble sleeping recently. However, when it's really a problem, I play this album. With the light off and no distractions, I can really listen and enjoy the nuances while becoming more relaxed and I rarely make it to the end without falling asleep. I don't mean that in an insulting way - it's not boredom but more like entering into a hypnotic trance.

When my husband worked nights I used to do that too. Its rarely he is out working at night now. I miss my dropping off to After Hours. I'm lookimg forward to celebrating its 8th Birthday too.

CAinOH
05-05-2020, 07:58 AM

I absolutely adore this album. I remember when I brought it home (yes, hard-copy, not a digital download), my husband remarked how much he enjoys it as well. Glenn's voice is just right for these songs and they remind me of a combination of big band, jazz... just laid back "yesteryear" stuff.

Love your description, UTW. This definitely is a collection that just lets you get lost in it.

New Kid In Town
05-05-2020, 03:27 PM
Wow, I can't believe it has been eight years. I too love this album, those songs were made for Glenn to sing.
Happy Birthday AH.

Brooke
05-05-2020, 04:32 PM
Oh wow, I can't believe it's been eight years either!

Love it much to my surprise. I didn't think I would, but Glenn did such an amazing job with it, I do! He sounds perfect on every song to me!

sodascouts
05-05-2020, 07:48 PM
So glad Glenn did this album. Happy birthday!

FreyFollower
05-05-2020, 09:14 PM
Happy Birthday to the "After Hours" album, a gorgeous collection of outstanding interpretations of (mostly)classic songs.

Just listen to Glenn emoting on every syllable:
Now when I remember Spring
All the joy that love can bring
I will be remembering
The shadow of your smile....

Smooth as silk and achingly beautiful!
SIGH......

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2020, 11:23 AM
Happy Birthday to the beautiful sublime After Hours. Glenn :heart:'s voice is so rich and full of emotion in these songs. So far from many of his Eagles Rockers too. Its shows how versatile he was in life. I remember him saying a number of times how he wanted to record this for his parents and they had been getting older at tge time of its release. Now all 3 of them have passed on but what a beautiful legacy he has left behind.

Pippinwhite
05-08-2020, 05:39 PM
Such an awesome album. "The Look of Love" is one of my favorites. Glenn's parents and mine were from the same generation (my mom had kids after age 35), so I remember a lot of these, and we had the same music in our home growing up that he did in his. Lovely voice, lovely music. :heart:

WalshFan88
05-08-2020, 06:04 PM
This is definitely not my cup of tea, but I'm so glad Glenn got to release another solo album before he died. I tried my best to make it my cup of tea, but it just isn't.

I'm a blues/classic rock/hard rock/hair metal guy be it The Who or Dokken. I'm just not cut out for Burt Bacharach or Tony Bennett type music. I like other genres (country, etc) but only when they sound like the genres I already like. :hilarious:

It's funny because I DO love Motown and Stax and Muscle Shoals style RNB soul music (Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops, etc), but the smoky piano bar thing isn't for me. Same with jazz and classical, I just cannot do it. :grin:

sodascouts
05-09-2020, 12:30 AM
Well I wished it an early birthday but giving it a little extra love... while I had wished for a contemporary album, the fantastic vocal displays and arrangements we got on this made me very happy. A great album.

05-09-2020, 12:09 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO AFTER HOURS!!!

The album isn't exactly my cup of tea either, but I do enjoy quite a few of the songs. As I've said before, for most of these songs, I like Glenn's version better than the originals or other covers, which says a lot. And I agree that this album really showcases Glenn's versatility and exquisite vocal prowess.

It's hard to believe it's been 8 years since it was released and some of us Borderers went on our excellent mini After Hours tour.

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2022, 03:45 PM
Happy 10th Birthday to After Hours.

I cannot believe it is actually 10 years since Glenn :heart: released this album. It was eagerly awaited and I must say I love all the songs on it. I remember with nostalgic myself, Soda and FP heading to LA to see him perform many of the songs live. It was to be my last time seeing him solo though I didn't know it at the time. I'm glad of that now.
Lets raise a toast to After Hours :cheers:

FreyFollower
05-11-2022, 01:28 AM
What a beautiful memory to treasure, GA!!! So bittersweet. :cheers:
Love this album, and that he did it for his folks.

Happy 10th Anniversary, After Hours!
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFrey2012Smile.jpg

New Kid In Town
05-11-2022, 09:39 AM
Happy 10th Birthday to After Hours.

I cannot believe it is actually 10 years since Glenn :heart: released this album. It was eagerly awaited and I must say I love all the songs on it. I remember with nostalgic myself, Soda and FP heading to LA to see him perform many of the songs live. It was to be my last time seeing him solo though I didn't know it at the time. I'm glad of that now.
Lets raise a toast to After Hours :cheers:

Wow I can not believe it has been 10 years either. GA, so glad you have those awesome special memories - lucky you ! It's so sweet that Glenn was able to do this for his parents while they were still alive.
FF - Love the picture - TY !

05-16-2022, 09:49 PM
Wow - I can't believe that After Hour is 10 years old. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! :cheers:

But, then it's even harder to believe that Glenn has been gone almost 6 1/2 years. I still miss him so much. :cry:

My last time seeing him solo was the After Hours show in Clearwater, Florida in November, 2012. We had front row center seats, so if that had to be the last time, I couldn't have asked for any better.

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2023, 12:14 PM
Happy 11th Birthday to After Hours. Today 'The Shadow of your Smile' was spinning around in my head and then I remembered the date! This album, just like its artist has a very special place in my heart.

FreyFollower
05-09-2023, 09:43 AM
Happy 11th Birthday to After Hours. Today 'The Shadow of your Smile' was spinning around in my head and then I remembered the date! This album, just like its artist has a very special place in my heart.

I agree, GA, LOVE IT! With the intimacy of many of the songs, you can hear the rich nuances of his beautiful voice!:heart:

05-09-2023, 12:46 PM
HAPPY ANIVERSARY TO AFTER HOURS!!!

I agree about Glenn vocal prowess on this album. It is a clinic on how to sing in melt-worthy mode.

Glennsallnighter
05-15-2023, 11:30 AM
'Meltworthy'. I love that phrase Dreamer and it just suits Glenn :heart: perfectly.