PDA

View Full Version : Don Henley and Glenn Frey appearing on David Geffen documentary

sodascouts
07-30-2012, 07:00 PM
According to The Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bob-dylan-david-geffen-pbs-doc-354971), Don was interviewed for a PBS special about David Geffen called Inventing David Geffen that will air on Nov. 20. Even if it's only a brief segment or two, it should be interesting!

Ive always been a dreamer
07-30-2012, 07:04 PM
I'll say it should be - Hope Don was nice! :grin:

zeldabjr
07-30-2012, 08:32 PM
I'll say it should be - Hope Don was nice! :grin:

or at least tactful!

Tiffanny Twisted
07-30-2012, 09:10 PM
or at least tactful!
iS THAT WORD IN HIS VOCABULARY?

07-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Awww - Poor Don. Of course, the word tact is in his vocabulary, TT. I'd bet he has to show restraint and tact everytime he gives an interview. Actually, the only solo show I've ever seen, he was extremely tactful when some obnoxious drunk kept yelling things out at him. :thumbsup:

Troubadour
07-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Interesting! I will definitely be watching this!

GlennLover
09-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Here's another article about the documentary. A comment Glenn made about David is mentioned http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444100404577643724212086712.html?m od=googlenews_wsj

GlennLover
09-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Still another article, received through Google alerts, which includes a quote from Glenn made to the filmmaker, Lacy,
“We would do anything to be with David Geffen,” lead singer Glenn Frey tells Lacy. “ ‘Here: ‘Sign this.’ I didn’t care. I wanted David Geffen to be involved in as many aspects of my career as possible.”

Here is the link to the article: http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.jewishjournal.com/hollywoodjew/item/david_geffen_documentary_reveals_self_made_man_who _re_fashioned_the_music_b&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgBIAAoATAAOABAlf69ggVIAVAAWABiBWVuLUNB&cd=xy6T3tFxrp0&usg=AFQjCNEGLTd4Hyb-LIibzNIa5KyVyG0VSQ

Might Glenn be in the documentary too?

sodascouts
09-12-2012, 02:00 PM
It sounds like he might be! If he is, I'll move the thread accordingly. We'll wait and see.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-12-2012, 06:42 PM
intresting articles cant wait to see the special.
hope glenn and don are in it

VAisForEagleLovers
11-06-2012, 08:03 PM
A quote from Glenn for the David Geffen documentary...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/06/inventing-david-geffen-review-documentary_n_2082482.html

Brooke
11-07-2012, 02:23 PM
I want to see that. Hope I can remember Nov. 20th. <making note to self>

zeldabjr
11-07-2012, 04:48 PM
marking it on the calendar...our PBS station actually does have it scheduled for 11/20 8PM...can't wait...

TimothyBFan
11-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Added to my calendar.

GlennLover
11-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Mine too!

VAisForEagleLovers
11-14-2012, 09:06 AM
The premier was last night...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/inventing-david-geffen-premiere-la-stars-390374

GlennLover
11-14-2012, 02:11 PM
The premier was last night...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/inventing-david-geffen-premiere-la-stars-390374

Sounds like Don & Glenn are both in the documentary. We weren't really sure that Glenn was actually in it. :yay:

GlennLover
11-17-2012, 07:55 PM
I set my PVR just in case I have to miss it for some reason. :)

GlennLover
11-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Don't forget to watch tonight!

Houston Debutante
11-20-2012, 09:48 PM
I wish I had seen this earlier. At least I've only missed half. Has Don or Glenn appeared yet?

zeldabjr
11-20-2012, 10:58 PM
I didn't know a lot about David Geffen...it was a fascinating program...what an amazingly talented man...

AzEaglesFan
11-21-2012, 12:31 AM
I watched it and thought it was great. He seems to be as good at making money as Irving.
I thought that Don and Glenn were very interesting and Don was quite tactful. lol

sodascouts
11-21-2012, 12:35 AM
I thought it was really gracious of Don to agree to appear, considering all the years he spent fighting Geffen in court, and some of the unkind things Geffen has said about him. At one point, Don even accused Geffen of "blackballing" him in the early 90s and making it difficult for him to get a record deal after he left Geffen's label. I couldn't help but think of that during the "You never want to piss off David Geffen because he will make you suffer" segment.

I guess it's all water under the bridge now!

zeldabjr
11-21-2012, 12:42 AM
I've always heard about the fighting with Geffen and the Eagles...but don't know really what it was all about....can someone tell me about it?...

11-21-2012, 01:39 AM
I thought the documentary was really interesting as well. I particularly liked Glenn's line where Geffen told him "Glenn, I'll make you rich, but I'm going to be richer."

As far as the history between Geffen and the band, it's a long story. In a nutshell, I think the guys felt that Geffen jilted them when he sold Asylum since he had launched the company as one that cared so much about their artists. Here is a good summary that Soda wrote for Eagles Online Central:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/management/lookout.htm

Tiffanny Twisted
11-21-2012, 08:45 AM
I thought it was a very well done show. I am thinking of buying it cause I know I was dozing in some parts cuase I was so tired (never watch something you want to see horizontial bad idea)

Its just amazing all the lives that this man has touched and effected.
Jackson and Don aand glenn looked great. I loved hearing about Laura NYro too and what he did with CS and N , documented in the take it to the limit book.
I thought it was great

Brooke
11-21-2012, 10:03 AM
I really enjoyed the show. Wow, what a talented man to do what he did starting with absolutely nothing. Not even a college education! I loved seeing all the artists in it, especially Glenn, Don, and Jackson.

Also loved Glenn's line about him making him rich! lol

sodascouts
11-21-2012, 12:04 PM
It's definitely true that the Eagles felt betrayed when Geffen sold Asylum, but things are even messier between Geffen and Don. Geffen signed Don as a solo act in 1984 to Geffen Records. Don was unhappy with the deal, but felt he couldn't do better so he accepted.

Building the Perfect Beast and The End of the Innocence did very well for the label, but Don didn't feel appreciated. He felt like Geffen should have been willing to spend more money on promoting him; he felt Geffen was being stingy with budgets for videos, album covers, palm greasing, etc. Geffen didn't want to pay for extra space in the cassette liner notes to fit all of his lyrics, for instance, despite how well Don was selling.

Then, once again, Geffen sold the label and left just as he'd done with Asylum. Don felt doubly betrayed.

That was the last straw. Don decided to leave the label. The only problem was that he still owed the label more albums contractually. Still, there was a law in Califormia that you couldn't be forced to work for a label for more than 7 years. Don argued that meant he could leave in 1991 regardless of whether he had met his album quota. Geffen countered that since Don had renegotiated his contract in 1988 after the success of Building the Perfect Beast, the seven years started from then and thus Don couldn't leave until 1995. Don pointed out that his contract allowed him to leave if Geffen did and since Geffen had sold the label, Don had no obligation to make any more albums for the company.

Geffen didn't see it that way, and he sued. Don countersued, claiming that Geffen had made secret arrangements with the other record companies so that none of them would agree to sign Don after he left Geffen Records. Geffen had "blackballed" him. Geffen denied the accusation, claiming instead that record companies didn't want Don because he was "thoroughly unpleasant," worked ridiculously slowly, was "getting old" and didn't have much money-making potential as a solo artist in the nineties.

In the end, Don compromised by releasing a Greatest Hits album called Actual Miles on Geffen Records with the new song "Garden of Allah" only to see the song flop, which he blamed on Geffen's lack of sufficient promotion. (Coincidentally, that album was released on this day - Nov. 21 - seventeen years ago.)

Another compromise was that Don had to put the Eagles' Hell Freezes Over album and video on the Geffen label as well (something Felder complains about in his own lawsuit and book). Geffen Records made a mint off of that concession! They called it even and settled their lawsuits.

Only then was Don Henley finally free of David Geffen.

Note: Most of this information comes from Marc Eliot's interviews with both Don and Geffen as related in To The Limit.

11-21-2012, 12:15 PM
I loved Don's R'nR HOF acceptance speech when he was rolling off a string of names as thank yous, and when he got to the end, he said, "Hell, I'll even thank David Geffen." I thought that was too funny.

WalshFan88
11-21-2012, 12:22 PM
I forgot to watch it last night... Sounds like it was interesting though!

VAisForEagleLovers
11-21-2012, 04:56 PM
We had to watch the results show of Dancing With The Stars. I set my DVRs at home remotely at 8:01, I hope they turned on and recorded.

GlennLover
11-21-2012, 05:45 PM
We had to watch the results show of Dancing With The Stars. I set my DVRs at home remotely at 8:01, I hope they turned on and recorded.

I had to watch DWTS too. I set the PVR for the Geffen bio & when I turned the TV on to watch DWTS it was set to record The Voice too, so I had to either cancel one of the shows being recorded & watch DWTS or watch one of the ones being recorded. Luckily my husband told me to cancel The Voice so I could watch & record the shows I wanted.

I watched the bio after DWTS of course. I couldn't wait until the morning to see Don & Glenn. I thought it was very well done & I enjoyed it immensely. I had forgotten all that had happened between Don & David so I agree with Soda that it was gracious for Don to appear. At least he can see now why David would sell Asylum & admits it.

Don & Glenn & Jackson all lookes great.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-21-2012, 10:27 PM
you can buy it for 25.oo according to the ad at thee nd of the show. just think I might.
soda thaks for all the info.

sodascouts
11-22-2012, 03:58 AM
I wish I had seen this earlier. At least I've only missed half. Has Don or Glenn appeared yet?

Don is on briefly at 35 minutes in and then at 50-52 as well as 55; his other interview snippet is 12 minutes before the end.

Glenn appears at the beginning montage, and is prominent from about 40 to 45. He also appears at 50-52.

GlennLover
11-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Don is on briefly at 35 minutes in and then at 50-52 as well as 55; his other interview snippet is 12 minutes before the end.

Glenn appears at the beginning montage, and is prominent from about 40 to 45. He also appears at 50-52.

Thanks, Soda. I wanted to watch their segments again without watching the entire bio, so that will make my fast forwarding to find those parts much easier. I do want to view the whole thing again, but I don't have the time right away.

sodascouts
11-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Now those may be a minute or two off - I got them watching the 1 am airing last night! Lol

Henley Honey
11-23-2012, 06:17 PM
For anyone who missed it the first time 'round, PBS is showing an encore presentation tonight -- Friday 11/23 at 9 PM EST.

Houston Debutante
11-26-2012, 06:00 PM

Thanks, looks like I missed the best parts, and I also missed the replays. I'll have to watch for it to come on again. Times like these I wish I had a DVR.

ktdids
12-30-2013, 01:29 AM
Not sure where to put thus, but my local PBS station is showing some of their American Masters series as part of pledge drives, and the one on David Geffen is coming on at 1:30am on CH 13 here in NYC.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Not sure where to put thus, but my local PBS station is showing some of their American Masters series as part of pledge drives, and the one on David Geffen is coming on at 1:30am on CH 13 here in NYC.

We have a thread on it somewhere...

sodascouts
01-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Just moved it. Thanks for the heads up, ktdids.

Thirsty&Hot
01-13-2014, 02:35 AM
oh didn't notice this thread til now... too late!
darn
are there clips online at all?

sodascouts
01-13-2014, 07:45 PM
You can get it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Inventing-David-Geffen/dp/B00AX84C76

Thirsty&Hot
01-13-2014, 11:20 PM
cool thanks! and since I have amazon prime, I can actually watch it for free with amazon instant video :)

sodascouts
01-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Me too! I looooooooove Amazon Prime!

Thirsty&Hot
01-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Me too! I looooooooove Amazon Prime!

it's awesome! in comes in handy all year round, but especially during the holidays!
and for things like this :)

Thirsty&Hot
01-17-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm watching it now...intended to watch only the "eagles" bits, but watching the whole thing cos it's pretty interesting!

so i'm watching it on amazon streaming free with amazon prime
but you can also see it here free on the PBS site until 12/19/2016:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2305433189/

Brooke
01-17-2014, 05:16 PM
I thought it was interesting too.

Pretty amazing story of how the poor boy makes it big!

UndertheWire
06-04-2014, 01:39 AM
It's now on youtube. The Troubadour/Eagles bit starts around 38:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9LqTtXHf8g