PDA

View Full Version : The Eagles autographed guitar authenticity

charvel
01-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Hey everyone, I found this guitar on sale locally and was just wondering if the signature is real or not. Thanks a lot!!! Any input would be much appreciated!

pics attached

sodascouts
01-12-2013, 02:59 PM
They look legit but investigate the seller nonetheless. It's not too difficult to forge signatures convincingly with a little effort.

zeldabjr
01-12-2013, 04:53 PM
They look legit but investigate the seller nonetheless. It's not too difficult to forge signatures convincingly with a little effort.

I'm alwys suspicious whenever I see an autograph...how would you investigate the seller?

sodascouts
01-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Investigate whether they are affiliated with a reputable company. Who issued the certificate of authenticity? If it is a reputable company, make sure the guy truly is affiliated with it by placing a few phone calls or emails. Ask about how it was obtained. All 5 Eagles of the Hotel California era signing something is rare. That line-up hasn't existed since 1978. It also happens to be the most frequently forged line-up because Hotel California was the Eagles' height commercially and is consequently the most sought-after. So... how did they get it?

Ive always been a dreamer
01-12-2013, 05:31 PM
ITA with everything you said, Soda. While the signatures look authentic, I would definitely do some investigation. And just to add one more thing, you may also be able to check out the origin of the guitar to see when it was manufactured.

Glennsallnighter
01-13-2013, 06:15 AM
They look genuine enough but ITA with Soda and Dreamer. There are many people who can forge very genuine signatures and a bit of creativity with a computer will also generate a very 'authentic' COA.

Another option you have if you want a signed instrument is to buy an officially endorsed one, such as the signed Takamine from the Eagles Official Site. (Soda organised one of these for me 5 years ago when they were selling through SAMs Club and wouldn't ship overseas)

Alternatively, Glenn :heart: released his own Takamine Signature model 4 years ago. As well as his endorsement inside the sound hole there is a GF logo embossed on the head. Most reputable music dealers could organise one for you. I got my one from a retailer on eBay and emailed him extensively about the authenticity etc before I committed to buying.

I keep my Eagles guitar as a 'demo' as Joe's signature is just at the part where my right arm connects with the main guitar body. But I play my GF one as much as time allows. The sound is superb and it DOES replicate the original one!

sodascouts
01-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Forgeries are more common than the real deal, sadly, especially with forums like ebay which allow unscrupulous dealers to take advantage of trusting customers who erroneously assume ebay or other internet sites have some form of quality control and wouldn't allow fake signatures (the vast majority don't have any such QC - certainly not ebay). Buyer beware!

One of our very own Borderers had a picture of Don Henley signing something for her which was displayed on this site snatched, doctored, and used to accompany a forged item as supposed "proof" it had been signed by Don Henley.... the story made it onto 20/20. Read more here: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=93916