PDA

View Full Version : Farewell 1 Being Released in Blu Ray

GlennLover
01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
I received an email from Amazon.ca with recommendations for me of new products. I was surprised to see that Farewell 1 will be released in Blu Ray Feb. 26, 2013!

Now if they will just release HFO in Blu Ray too!!!!

Troubadour
01-29-2013, 04:05 PM
I don't even have Blu Ray, but that's cool. I get excited whenever anything Eagles is released (or re-released!) I reckon we're going to get a few surprises over the next year or two.

Freypower
01-29-2013, 04:57 PM
If it's done properly it will probably be worth getting. I would prefer History to be released on Blu Ray first, though.

GlennLover
01-29-2013, 08:51 PM
If it's done properly it will probably be worth getting. I would prefer History to be released on Blu Ray first, though.

Yes, I hope that they release History in Blu Ray at the same time they release the DVD.

EaglesKiwi
01-30-2013, 04:19 AM
Surely it's a given that History will come out in Blu-Ray? I thought pretty much all new releases did... okay I'm not sure about the quality of stuff shot on Super 8 being converted to Blu-Ray, but even so - all the current interviews and anything shot recently would look and sound great... :partytime:

I will probably get F1 (and HFO if/when it's done) in Blu-Ray format too. :)

Glennsallnighter
01-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Oh cool! its being released 2 days before my birthday. My ordinary copy is rather tired anyway...... Think I'll treat myself... :thumbsup:

GlennLover
01-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Oh cool! its being released 2 days before my birthday. My ordinary copy is rather tired anyway...... Think I'll treat myself... :thumbsup:

Me too & it's not even my birthday! :partytime:

GlennLover
01-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Surely it's a given that History will come out in Blu-Ray? I thought pretty much all new releases did... okay I'm not sure about the quality of stuff shot on Super 8 being converted to Blu-Ray, but even so - all the current interviews and anything shot recently would look and sound great... :partytime:

I will probably get F1 (and HFO if/when it's done) in Blu-Ray format too. :)

I'm banking on the fact that most new releases come out in Blu-Ray too. :pray:

Brooke
01-30-2013, 03:10 PM
I don't even know what it is! I assume it's better than a dvd? :brickwall:

sodascouts
01-30-2013, 04:17 PM
It's supposed to be higher-definition but honestly, I don't see a huge difference.... certainly not enough of a difference for me to purchase a blu-ray player and re-purchase all my DVDs in the blu-ray disc format!

Here's more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

Brooke
01-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Lol! Showing my age here!

Thanks Soda! Yeah, I won't be changing up anytime soon either!

Freypower
01-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Some of the Blu-rays we have such as Monty Python's Life Of Brian, are 1000% better than the DVD. In the good ones you can see details you never knew existed. I am unsure that F1 will be a great deal better as it was first done only in 2004 when the technology was pretty good.

I have some music DVDs & I have Blu-rays. The difference between Elton John's four concert set (DVD) & Stevie Wonder & Billy Joel's (Blu-ray) is staggering. Then there is Celebration Day. As I said elsewhere, that was a completely wasted opportunity.

Troubadour
01-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Some of the Blu-rays we have such as Monty Python's Life Of Brian, are 1000% better than the DVD.

That's interesting, FP! Perhaps I will have to look into Blu-Ray. Life of Brian is one of my favourite films of all time - if not, my favourite.

GlennLover
01-30-2013, 08:54 PM
We do have a Blu-Ray player, but the DVD looks really good on our HD TV so as soon as my husband heard that F1 will be out in Blu-Ray he said "Well we won't need that". :-x He has been hoping for years that HFO comes out in Blu-Ray.

I won't tell him, but I am going to order the F1 Blu-Ray!!! :ziplip: :wink:

Glennsallnighter
01-31-2013, 04:52 AM
Ok GL, here's the thing, tell him that you'd feel that if The Eagles are happy with the blu ray sales they may do HFO on blu ray next. So we all have to do our part I'm making that happen!:thumbsup:

GlennLover
01-31-2013, 09:14 AM
Ok GL, here's the thing, tell him that you'd feel that if The Eagles are happy with the blu ray sales they may do HFO on blu ray next. So we all have to do our part I'm making that happen!:thumbsup:

Good thinking, GA! :partytime:

TimothyBFan
01-31-2013, 09:20 AM
My husband loves HD and insisted that we get a blu-ray because "you won't believe the difference!". Wanna bet!! Seriously, I really don't see what all the hoopla is about. When we upgraded to the HD package, I really noticed a difference in my football & baseball games but other than that, not that impressed. Same with blu-ray. I guess count me as old also. :hilarious:

VAisForEagleLovers
01-31-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm surprised at how many say they can't see the difference. I'm amazed at the difference!! Maybe it's TV dependent, but I actually bought a Blu-Ray player so I could watch Celebration Day in hi-def. It was $70 at Best Buy and connects to my wifi and streams Netflix and a bunch of other services I don't use yet.

I put Farewell 1 in the other day, I haven't watched it in a while. The guys looked short and wide, just like the football players and hockey players do when I watch those sports. I really need to get a hi-def satellite dish. I wish I could do it by the time Showtime airs the movie, but I can't see that happening. I won't replace my DVD collection, but I'm glad to hear that FW1 is coming out in Blu-Ray, since I decided after watching it that I won't watch it again on a hi-def TV without a hi-def DVD. At any rate, the difference on my TV is extremely evident.

Houston Debutante
01-31-2013, 01:45 PM
I already had to rebuy all my VHS tapes in DVD format, don't want to have to do it again with Blue Ray.

EaglesKiwi
01-31-2013, 03:02 PM
I think the difference in visual and sound quality varies by product. There aren't a lot of things we would buy again on blu-ray, but it has almost become our default for new purchases. In particular, anything we would want to watch over and over again would be worth getting on blu-ray.

Some (older) products have more "extras" in the release to blu-ray.

The website http://www.blu-ray.com/ has reviews of movies/tv series/music vids etc and breaks it down into the visual quality, audio, extras as well as a general review of the movie etc itself. (Bear in mind some of the reviewers are pretty... um... obsessive about this stuff. :hilarious:. So they talk about all the little imperfections in "Life of Brian" for example, then conclude by saying it's so much better in blu-ray!).

On a music DVD vs blu-ray the difference could be like listening to something in the car driving down the motorway vs listening to it on your good quality headphones... I have my fingers crossed hoping that Farewell 1 will be an outstanding example of the difference. :)

GlennLover
01-31-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm surprised at how many say they can't see the difference. I'm amazed at the difference!! Maybe it's TV dependent, but I actually bought a Blu-Ray player so I could watch Celebration Day in hi-def. It was $70 at Best Buy and connects to my wifi and streams Netflix and a bunch of other services I don't use yet.

I put Farewell 1 in the other day, I haven't watched it in a while. The guys looked short and wide, just like the football players and hockey players do when I watch those sports. I really need to get a hi-def satellite dish. I wish I could do it by the time Showtime airs the movie, but I can't see that happening. I won't replace my DVD collection, but I'm glad to hear that FW1 is coming out in Blu-Ray, since I decided after watching it that I won't watch it again on a hi-def TV without a hi-def DVD. At any rate, the difference on my TV is extremely evident.

My husband loves hi def too. He has to have the latest TV so ours is HD. We notice a big difference in the HD chanels & with Blu-ray discs. He said that you wouldn't notice much difference with HD or Blu-ray unless you had an HD tv. However, I think that the picture quality of F1 is so good that I really am not expecting the BD to be much different. I'm still getting it though!

FP, we got Life of Brian in BD for Christmas, but we haven't watched it yet.

Tamjid Wafaa
02-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Farewell 1 Tour-Live from Melbourne is a double DVD by Eagles, released in 2005 (see 2005 in music). It was filmed in Melbourne, Australia at the Rod Laver Arena on the 14, 15 and 17 of November 2004, in the same name tour, featuring two new songs. It's the second record as quartet, without Don Felder, but featuring a horn section.

Freypower
02-12-2013, 09:45 PM
My husband has ordered this for me:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AR1G3FS/ref=s9_newr_gw_d36_g74_ir06?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1GWVD9F572ZZTEM9CNDZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

GlennLover
02-12-2013, 10:18 PM
My husband has ordered this for me:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AR1G3FS/ref=s9_newr_gw_d36_g74_ir06?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1GWVD9F572ZZTEM9CNDZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Awwww, that's sweet!

I have ordered it for myself.

SteveJoburg
03-03-2013, 06:32 AM
Hey Folks

Haven't posted in a while... thought there would be a thread on here about F1 being released on Blu Ray. I picked up a copy yesterday and it is simply incredible. I have been building a collection of concerts on BD over the last year or so and this is going to be one that gets played very very often.
The picture is simply incredible, a big difference to the DVD. It looks like it was shot a week ago. Colours are brilliant, you can see the textures on clothing, guitar straps, you can read the guys setlists clearly...
Audio is good, of course, but I do wish the lossless surround audio did not include instruments in the rear channels, I never understand why they do that.

I'm 100% a Blu Ray convert and when you see something like The Eagles Farewell 1 like this, you'll understand why. :thumbsup:

*EDIT* Review on Blu-Ray.com. Yes, I know the reviewer makes some factual errors about the guys in the band, but it'll give you an idea about the Blu Ray disc. They are usually quite brutal with reviews on here so with that in mind:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Eagles-Farewell-I-Live-From-Melbourne-Blu-ray/63541/#Review

VAisForEagleLovers
03-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Steve, welcome back!!! Thanks for letting us know your opinion of the Blue-Ray version. I've been trying to decide if it would be worth the extra money to get it. I don't know why, it's a given that I will regardless! At least you make me feel better about it!

GlennLover
03-03-2013, 12:01 PM
I rec'd my copy Friday. Haven't been feeling well enough to watch the whole disc, but I did watch enough to see if there was anything new added. There wasn't. The details you can see are amazing indeed. :thumbsup:The colour seemed to be a bit different, but still good. Looking forward to settling in to watch the whole thing uninterupted! It's a very good investment!

Tiffanny Twisted
03-03-2013, 12:09 PM
ewell crazy me I bought the blue ray dvd first then i gotta get the player lol

Outlawman13
03-03-2013, 01:15 PM
LOL I'm getting that one for sure 'cause the other dvd kept on freezing up. LOL the Eagles keep on spoiling us.

Ive always been a dreamer
03-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Well - I wasn't planning on getting this, but y'all may just be talking me into it. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
03-03-2013, 02:23 PM
I've been resisting Blu-Ray but that does sound tempting....

SteveJoburg
03-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Soda trust me on this... A Blu Ray on an HD TV far surpasses a DVD. And with something like F1, it will be like seeing it for the first time again. There is also the bonus of the whole show being on one disc!

Glennsallnighter
03-07-2013, 02:29 PM
I had mine ordered and then realised it said 'Region 1' on it. :thumbsdown:. That won't play here so I will have to see if I can get a 'Region 2'

Freypower
03-07-2013, 05:44 PM
I've just received mine but haven't looked at it yet.

Dr lecterr
03-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Got my copy yesterday. Having this on bluray is spectacular. Video looks so much cleaner. The sound is slightly better. And it's all on one disc, which is super convenient. Can't wait for more Eagles music on blu ray.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Welcome DL! I keep meaning to get out and pick up a copy, but haven't done it yet.

zeldabjr
03-08-2013, 02:12 PM
I've always wondered whether anything is really that much better on BluRay...but I'm going to get a new HD TV this spring...maybe I should go for it!?

Dr lecterr
03-08-2013, 04:09 PM
It's a huge difference from blu to DVD. That is IF you have all the right equipment and cables. Do your research before you buy.

sodascouts
03-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Well, you guys talked me into it. My parents were visiting this week and wanted to get me a new DVD player. Thanks to this thread, I asked for a BluRay player instead and of course my first purchase was Farewell 1. You can see every speck of sweat, every pore, every eyelash in perfect clarity. There definitely is a difference...

ETA: My Blu Ray has suddenly stopped working. It's completely unresponsive and all I get is a black screen, although the power is on. I tried redoing the cables, resetting it and everything. It won't even eject or respond to me pushing buttons on the device, much less the remote. This machine is less than 24 hours old. I AM SO PISSED OFF.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-08-2013, 08:02 PM
I don't blame you, but when that happens so very soon, often you can take it back to the store instead of dealing with the warranty and the manufacturer. Where did you get it?

sodascouts
03-08-2013, 08:04 PM
I don't blame you, but when that happens so very soon, often you can take it back to the store instead of dealing with the warranty and the manufacturer. Where did you get it?

Best Buy, and I got their geek squad protection, so it's all taken care of and I have a working player now. Still... lame.

Sorry to get off track though.. F1 on Blu Ray is terrific!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Maybe the player just can't handle those hot men?? Maybe you should break it in gently and put in something less...:smokin::smokin::smokin:

zeldabjr
03-09-2013, 02:06 AM
Oh I do want to see every speck of sweat, every pore and every eyelash!!!..I must get one!!!...glad your player problem got taken care of Nancy!!

SteveJoburg
03-09-2013, 06:33 AM
It's a huge difference from blu to DVD. That is IF you have all the right equipment and cables. Do your research before you buy.

100%. Get the best HD TV you can. Don't get the cheapest HDMI cables around, better HDMI cables DO make a difference.

It will be well worth the investment, I promise... :thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
03-09-2013, 07:57 AM
I've ordered mine on Amazon.co.uk. It's region free!

Freypower
03-09-2013, 05:02 PM
We watched some of it last night. I urge everyone to get it. You can practically count Glenn's eyelashes. :hilarious: You can see the texture of Don's drums which before just appeared to be gold. It is great having it on on disc with a pop up menu to select the songs.

The sound is awesome; every instrument can be clearly heard but I must say this. The brass section is far too intrusive especially in the duelling guitar section of Hotel California. I hope if they tour again they ditch it.

WalshFan88
03-09-2013, 05:12 PM
The brass section is far too intrusive especially in the duelling guitar section of Hotel California.

I also never liked the horns intro to Hotel California. It just never set right with me. Just start the guitar intro... Having horns in there reminds me too much of Henley's IMO gawd awful version of Hotel California on Inside Job (DVD) where the horns play the guitar solo and it's just not right lol. The monkey sounds put me in a laughing fit... It's painful for me to watch now.

GlennLover
03-09-2013, 05:14 PM
100%. Get the best HD TV you can. Don't get the cheapest HDMI cables around, better HDMI cables DO make a difference.

It will be well worth the investment, I promise... :thumbsup:

I can attest to that. The HDMI cables, although expensive, really did make a difference! :thumbsup:

GA, I'm so glad that you could get the disc in a format that will work in your region! :partytime:

VAisForEagleLovers
03-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Since they ditched the horn section after Atlanta/NO Jazz Fest (I can't remember if they were at Jazz Fest), I'd say it's very possible they won't be in the new tour.

I guess I'm going to have to stop at Best Buy or somewhere and get it.

sodascouts
03-09-2013, 05:17 PM
I also never liked the horns intro to Hotel California. It just never set right with me. Just start the guitar intro... Having horns in there reminds me too much of Henley's IMO gawd awful version of Hotel California on Inside Job (DVD) where the horns play the guitar solo and it's just not right lol. The monkey sounds put me in a laughing fit... It's painful for me to watch now.

Oh gosh, just the memory of that horrific rendition makes me shudder. How could Henley have thought that removing the guitars from HC was a good idea????

I agree about the F1 version too. The horn intro was an interesting novelty a decade ago, but after the novelty wore off, it stopped doin' it for me.

Freypower
03-09-2013, 05:30 PM
I actually didn't mean the intro which I enjoyed the late Bill Armstrong playing, but the way the horns intrude into the guitar solos.

WalshFan88
03-09-2013, 05:32 PM
I actually didn't mean the intro which I enjoyed the late Bill Armstrong playing, but the way the horns intrude into the guitar solos.

I know. I just meant that in addition to that, I've never cared for the horns intro.

03-09-2013, 05:39 PM
I actually liked the horn intro to Hotel California. Now, if it had been done in place of the guitar intro, that would have not been cool.

I didn't hate the horns for that era. But I'm like Soda - I think it's time for them go now.

WalshFan88
03-09-2013, 07:02 PM
I actually liked the horn intro to Hotel California. Now, if it had been done in place of the guitar intro, that would have not been cool.

I didn't hate the horns for that era. But I'm like Soda - I think it's time for them go now.

To me it just set a tone that almost made the song not more mainstream rock n' roll sounding to me. It put it in a different place in my mind. I know it was thought to be a mexican reggae type song, but I just think of it as a great rock song. Not a "rocker", like something like Already Gone or LITFL is, but a more smooth rock song. I don't care for Bob Marley type music or reggae and also not a big fan of the whole jazz thing or horns in general.

It was just not the rock anthem to me that I feel it is with the horn section and also much the same feeling about the spanish version on HFO. It's just my thing. To each his/her own.

EaglesKiwi
03-15-2013, 03:44 AM
My wonderful husband just brought home my copy of this blu-ray... hopefully will sit down to watch tomorrow afternoon (after dog shows :)).

SteveJoburg
03-15-2013, 08:16 AM
My wonderful husband just brought home my copy of this blu-ray... hopefully will sit down to watch tomorrow afternoon (after dog shows :)).

Enjoy...

My missus and I watched what used to be the first disc of the DVD set last night and just marveled once again at the harmonising... I have the Blu Ray by Crosby Stills & Nash released recently and much as I love them, wow, they have lost the ability to sing together. Very sad.

The Eagles, however, based on the 2004 concert and what I heard with my own ears last year, are every bit as good if not better than ever...

You will LOVE the Blu Ray... :thumbsup:

GlennLover
03-15-2013, 01:08 PM

Wonderful indeed, EK! :thumbsup:

I'm watching mine now. Crystal clear! I like the fact that it's all on one disc too.

Outlawman13
03-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Me too. I love how clear it is as well. One of my favvie concerts for sure. I am in need of watching it again here very soon!!!

sodascouts
03-16-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm watching this now, drinking a glass of wine, and feelin' the Eagle love. I just wish I had fellow fans here to enjoy it with me!

Glennsallnighter
03-16-2013, 09:17 PM
I wish I could join you too Soda! Sounds like a perfect evening to me! Maybe when more of us (like me) get our blu rays we could do a chat party?

sodascouts
03-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Fabulous idea! And even those without Blu-Ray versions could join us.

Glennsallnighter
03-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Well, we'd all be together in spirit anyway! Or in Cyberspace, if not in the same room!

GlennLover
03-16-2013, 10:29 PM
I watched it again tonight. The sound is better than the DVD too! :thumbsup:

Freypower
03-16-2013, 11:10 PM
I watched it again tonight. The sound is better than the DVD too! :thumbsup:

Yes it is; that is when you notice how dominant the brass section is.

Glennsallnighter
03-20-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm giving it its first workout at the moment and I must say it is fabulous! The clarity and the sound is much better than the original DVD. Hard to believe this was recorded nearly 9 years ago!

WalshFan88
04-02-2013, 05:43 PM
I LOVE it!! Such an improvement over the DVD.

My question is, could they do this for HFO? Or is the source footage to old to be adapted?

Freypower
04-02-2013, 05:46 PM

My question is, could they do this for HFO? Or is the source footage to old to be adapted?

If they can do Gone With The Wind (1939) and Life Of Brian (1979) they can do HFO (1994).

Outlawman13
04-02-2013, 05:51 PM
OHHH I do wish they would put HFO in Blue Ray!!!!!!!!

SteveJoburg
04-04-2013, 02:17 AM

On the Blu-Ray.com forum, where they are more than a little obsessive about such things, the reason given for HFO not being suitable for release on Blu Ray is that it was filmed on video as opposed to film. Film, apparently, allows for upgrading to HD whereas video does not. (Like trying to take a badly compressed MP3 and make it sound like a CD again I think)

However many things lately, especially doccies, have old footage which looks much better than it originally did.

My take on it is they have just released Farewell 1, the documentary is about to come out, and next year, being the 20th anniversary of HFO, will see a re-release and hopefully that will include a Blu Ray version... My ten cents worth.

04-04-2013, 01:20 PM
That's very interesting stuff about releasing HFO on blu-ray, Steve. It would be great if they can find a way, because it would be a shame not to be able to exploit the band's awesomeness at that time. :wink: :wink:

VAisForEagleLovers
03-05-2015, 05:22 PM
I finally ordered this, so guess what I'll be doing this weekend??!! :partytime:
It came in yesterday's mail, I just now trekked to the mailbox to get it. Good thing as I'm sure we won't see the mailman again until Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing this in high definition!

GlennLover
03-05-2015, 11:15 PM
I finally ordered this, so guess what I'll be doing this weekend??!! :partytime:
It came in yesterday's mail, I just now trekked to the mailbox to get it. Good thing as I'm sure we won't see the mailman again until Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing this in high definition!

You won't be disappointed, VA.