PDA

View Full Version : I think the Eagles are actually underrated!

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-19-2013, 06:05 AM
Yes, you read that right! :)

I am just sitting here listening to them, Too Many Hands was just on, and since I found out that song is about the Earth, I love it even more, and musicially it's amazing too. Which led me to thinking, so many of their songs weren't even singles or hits at all but they should have been. I don't even know anyone in my life (not from the internet LOL) who likes them, and in fact in the last week TWO of my friends both said they didn't like them and couldn't believe how into them I am now. So it's been my experience that if you tell people you like the Eagles, you will get ridiculed. It's always been this way, so that leads me to think this band is underrated. If people only knew. I guess most people just don't "get it". And then there's that whole Big Lebowski thing, I never felt that was justified!

Does anyone else feel this way?

Brooke
03-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Well, they've always been my favorite band and I think they are America's greatest band!

I've loved them since the beginning and listened to Take It Easy and Witchy Woman on the radio when dating my husband back in the day! So, no matter what other people say, in my heart they are wonderful and always have been!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-19-2013, 10:12 AM
I agree! In a lot of ways they brought it on themselves, not playing the games back in the day with courting the media or even DJs. They report on those who stroke their feathers and the Eagles didn't do that. Each time the documentary airs on one of the Showtime channels, I see a lot of tweets from people who are 'remembering' how much they liked the Eagles, how good they really were, etc.

As someone who has problems listening to live music, I really love this band. I really like Van Halen, but I'd never go listen to them live. People have told me that vocals hit off key and musicians not totally in-sync are part of the live experience, but it's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. The Eagles are as perfect in concert as they are recorded, even 40+ years later. It amazes me that not only are they not given enough credit for this, some critics actually criticize them for it.

OutlawManNJ
03-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Come on now lets stop exagerating. Eagles underated? Hall of famers. Biggest selling american band of all time. Sold out expensive concerts. I dont think they are anywhere near under rated.

You wanna know what underated is listen to the Smithereens work and then you will hit yourself in the head wondering why today they only can put a couple hundred people in a show at a time. Or many other examples. The eagles is not one of them they had many many hits off each album. You cant possibly expect everyone to like a band. If thats the case then every band can claim to be underated even the beatles.

But yea you wanna know what underrated is listen to the smithereens album Green Thiughts from 89 and try to figure out why this isnt a classic everyone knows.

Ive always been a dreamer
03-19-2013, 01:42 PM
IMO, I don't think the band is underrated by the public. Yes - there are haters ... there will always be haters, but this band is one of the most commercially successful bands of all times and still has mass popularity. Many people do consider them to be America's greatest band and their record sales and ticket sales are evidence of that.

However, I do agree that they are underrated by the critics. As VA said, some of this is of their own doing. They were never ones to suck up to the critics, and were vilified for that back in the day. However, I think that has also changed some given the band's success since their resumption. But, I still don't believe the band gets the critical acclaim for their music or the credit for their cultural influence that they deserve.

Houston Debutante
03-19-2013, 02:41 PM
ITA with Dreamer. Most people love them ~ at least most people over 40. It's the critics or people who consider themselves 'high brow' that underrate the Eagles. They get blown off as a soulless corporate band who has completely sold out and doesn't put out true 'art.' A lot of people act like anything that is popular can't be truly artistic. I say, bull hockey! The Eagles are my favorite band because they put out incredible songs time and time again that move me to think, to dance, to feel. That's 'art' to me.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-19-2013, 02:57 PM
I don't know, when the documentary airs, Twitter is full of tweets from people that have 'totally forgotten' how much they loved the Eagles when they were younger. Mostly, yes, it's the critics and media. Some of the blogs, magazines, etc, they'll publish a list of top 10 this and top 50 that, and if the Eagles make the list, it's always HC and way down the list, and that's just Classic Rock. Talk about all of music and you seldom see their name. They have the best selling album. They sell out venues everywhere they go.

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-20-2013, 04:40 AM
As someone who has problems listening to live music, I really love this band. I really like Van Halen, but I'd never go listen to them live. People have told me that vocals hit off key and musicians not totally in-sync are part of the live experience, but it's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. The Eagles are as perfect in concert as they are recorded, even 40+ years later. It amazes me that not only are they not given enough credit for this, some critics actually criticize them for it.

I totally know what you mean! I hate when bands sound so off live that you can't even keep up with the song! I like them as close to the real thing as possible too. I have never been able to see the real Eagles live but I did see a cover band and even they made it a point to sound spot-on with the actual albums!

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-20-2013, 04:44 AM
Come on now lets stop exagerating. Eagles underated? Hall of famers. Biggest selling american band of all time. Sold out expensive concerts. I dont think they are anywhere near under rated.

You wanna know what underated is listen to the Smithereens work and then you will hit yourself in the head wondering why today they only can put a couple hundred people in a show at a time. Or many other examples. The eagles is not one of them they had many many hits off each album. You cant possibly expect everyone to like a band. If thats the case then every band can claim to be underated even the beatles.

But yea you wanna know what underrated is listen to the smithereens album Green Thiughts from 89 and try to figure out why this isnt a classic everyone knows.

I'll check them out! I am not saying the Eagles were never classic enough or won enough awards or topped the charts enough, that stuff was all there but i'm talking about something closer to home. In my every day life and my experiences, they get a bad rap, and I never understood it. It's almost like they were the most overrated band as far as Hollywood and the media are concerned but when it comes to the average American on the street, the overall consensus that I get is they were either "just ok" or the person literally hated them.

OutlawManNJ
03-20-2013, 10:32 AM
One of the reasons the eagles probably have alot of haters is also bcause that old story that the eagles wanted to be a rock and roll band and even hired a new guitar man felder to do so and tried to portray themselves as such but then you go hear the albums and theres lots of ballads and country stuff. I like it but i imagine people buying hotel california thinking they are getting rockers like litfl and then they hear all these slowsongs like wasted time pretty maids gonna love again etc. And they were probably like wtf.

So i do think there is some of that. People tend to think the eagles are soft.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-20-2013, 10:46 AM

I will agree with you on that, so many people refer to them as Soft Rock instead of Classic Rock.

I think there is also another aspect. Glenn mentioned it during the documentary and I've read it in many places, when they were leading up to why Bernie left the band, Glenn said that as they became more successful, Bernie had felt like they were selling out. I'm sure I remember this being a big issue in the To The Limit book as well as Felder's book, and not just with Bernie. I guess in SoCal back then, if you were successful, if you made money, you 'sold out'. I think a lot of people and probably media (not to mention friends and fellow musicians) thought the same thing.

I would never say that these guys don't appreciate the money they've made, of course they do, and they certainly aren't adverse to making more of it. I don't think money has ever really been their motivating factor, and certainly not now (or they'd be doing more shows). To me, they worked hard at their music and the sales, the money, was their verification that their hard work paid off. The success was validation of their efforts and decisions. The money was 'proof in the hand' that they'd given their fans what they wanted. Others saw that as 'selling out', the heck with the fans, music was to be all about what you (the musician) had in your head at the moment. As a fan, I can't respect that attitude.

Anyway, that 'selling out' attitude seemed to be pervasive back then and I think it's had a lot to do with a negative attitude being attached to them all along.

GlennLover
03-20-2013, 11:03 AM
I tend to agree with you, VK.

bluefox4000
03-20-2013, 11:39 AM
They've always been in my top bands. It's funny, I'm a member of multiple boards. And on most every one. When you bring up this band, they get dumped on so bad. The biggest reason i get is they're to cooperate.

I'll never understand it myself.

Mick

VAisForEagleLovers
03-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Yes, I think the corporate theory is the same as the selling-out theory.

Houston Debutante
03-20-2013, 01:09 PM
They've always been in my top bands. It's funny, I'm a member of multiple boards. And on most every one. When you bring up this band, they get dumped on so bad. The biggest reason i get is they're to cooperate.

I'll never understand it myself.

Mick

Right, I've seen this at other boards I've been part of, too. Lots of haters out there. It's mostly elitists who consider them to be a 'soulless corporate band' who care about money first, 'art' second.

OutlawManNJ
03-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Im not so sure the selling out angle is it. Just about every band sells out. Mettalic for example is a real classic sell out and still got tons of love. I think it was a combo of things but most the soft ballads. The eagles were dressed as dirty rockers but half their so gs and most their hits were best of my love type songs. This probably left a bad taste in manys mouths. And still does. It even irritates me reading these books and seeing the doc and don and glenn talking about being a rock band and then in their next breath they record new kid in town. So which is it. You wanna rock or what? If not dont keep saying u want to.

Freypower
03-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Im not so sure the selling out angle is it. Just about every band sells out. Mettalic for example is a real classic sell out and still got tons of love. I think it was a combo of things but most the soft ballads. The eagles were dressed as dirty rockers but half their so gs and most their hits were best of my love type songs. This probably left a bad taste in manys mouths. And still does. It even irritates me reading these books and seeing the doc and don and glenn talking about being a rock band and then in their next breath they record new kid in town. So which is it. You wanna rock or what? If not dont keep saying u want to.

I'm not entirely sure what you are saying here.

They were never a hard rock band in the way Deep Purple etc were. Ballads were & still are a very important part of their repertoire. However I would not say that 'half their songs' were ballads.

They didn't 'keep saying' they wanted to be a rock band. They did rock songs, they did ballads. Surely you would agree that The Long Run, ironically, had a harder edge than the Hotel California album with its strings?

If you don't like the Eagles' ballads, OK, but I think a lot of their fans do like them.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-20-2013, 05:59 PM

I think the 'sell-out' mentality was from other SoCall bands a little older than Metalica, but as someone noted above, there was the 'corporate band' title as well.

As far as rock vs. softer music, I can't remember what thread I put it in, but I think their intent on adding a 'harder edge' was so that they could do rock and roll. I don't think they ever intended to be purely rock and roll. They always wanted songs that were influenced by one or more genres. They intended ICTYW to be influenced by R&B. They've repeatedly said that HC was 'Mexican Reggae'. So in answer to your question, 'which is it?' I would say 'neither'. They do want to rock, but not with every song.

OutlawManNJ
03-20-2013, 06:24 PM
I never said i didnt like the ballads. The topic here is not what I like but why we think some people hate the eagles. My opinion is that people (not i) hate the eagles because they appeared to be a rock band but kept releasing ballad after ballad. The country aspect also didnt help with the haters.

bluefox4000
03-20-2013, 06:26 PM
I always roll my eyes when I hear grown adults talk about "selling out" What are you in high school?

Mick

sodascouts
03-20-2013, 06:28 PM
OutlawManNJ, am I accurately paraphrasing your argument when I say that you believe the Eagles get hated on because they do ballads in addition to rock songs, and this makes rock'n'roll fans angry?

If so, there must be a lot of angry folks out there, as I can't think of one rock band - even a "heavy metal" band like Metallica - that doesn't do some ballads.

Shadowland07
03-20-2013, 06:40 PM
If doing ballads takes away from being a rock n roll band then why are The Beatles considered a rock band? They did ballads, dabbled in Indian music, and pop. Fleetwood Mac, Coldplay, Wilco, etc all do ballads but are considered some type of rock. Why shouldn't the Eagles be?

OutlawManNJ
03-20-2013, 06:46 PM
I guess then the best thing to do is ask people that hate the eagles why they hate them. We can guess all day but the best thing would be to ask those that hate them. Maybe a google search could also help figure it out. But next time the topic comes up with friends or coworkers ask them why the hate or dislike the eagles and post here the results.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-20-2013, 06:47 PM
I never said i didnt like the ballads. The topic here is not what I like but why we think some people hate the eagles. My opinion is that people (not i) hate the eagles because they appeared to be a rock band but kept releasing ballad after ballad. The country aspect also didnt help with the haters.

OK! You had me worried! I guess these people just hate and look for any excuse as a reason. I guess if a person's idea of rock and roll is AC/DC they might find the Eagles to be a little soft. All rock bands had rock ballads, but yeah, the Eagles had other influences. Country, R&B, you name it. I do know that looking at who all is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, you can't tell what exactly Rock and Roll might be.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-20-2013, 06:49 PM
I guess then the best thing to do is ask people that hate the eagles why they hate them. We can guess all day but the best thing would be to ask those that hate them. Maybe a google search could also help figure it out. But next time the topic comes up with friends or coworkers ask them why the hate or dislike the eagles and post here the results.

To be honest, none of my friends, family, or co-workers hate the Eagles. At this point, even if they did, none of them would actually say that to me!

Shadowland07
03-20-2013, 06:53 PM
I think that On The Border is the album that showcases their influences. It has rock, bluegrass, funk, country, and a ballad.

OutlawManNJ
03-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Did a little google and this guy list 10
Reasons to hate the eagles and also 10 readons to love them http://m.voices.yahoo.com/the-top-ten-reasons-big-lebowski-was-right-2523128.html

Freypower
03-20-2013, 07:09 PM
So, uh, where are the ten reasons to love them?

A lot of that stuff is petty jealousy & hardly mentions 'too many ballads'. Also, as has been said time & time again on this board, one person's opinion is just that - the opinion of one person. How that is supposed to represent what huge numbers of people think is beyond me.

Oh, and the only new song on HFO where none of the Eagles have a wrting credit is Love Will Keep Us Alive.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks for digging that up, OMNJ. I think I remember reading it a long time ago. I agree with his reasons for loving them, but I especially liked #10, OOTN and what he had to say there. It kind of goes along with what I've been trying to say in this thread.

OutlawManNJ
03-20-2013, 07:11 PM
So, uh, where are the ten reasons to love them?

A lot of that stuff is petty jealousy & hardly mentions 'too many ballads'.

Oh, and the only new song on HFO where none of the Eagles have a wrting credit is Love Will Keep Us Alive.

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/ten-reasons-why-big-lebowski-was-wrong-hate-2525398.html

Freypower
03-20-2013, 07:13 PM
http://m.voices.yahoo.com/ten-reasons-why-big-lebowski-was-wrong-hate-2525398.html

There is a lot I could say about the way the guy has cherry picked what he thinks is good & what he thinks is bad, but I am not going to do that, I'm afraid.

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-21-2013, 01:11 AM
One of the reasons the eagles probably have alot of haters is also bcause that old story that the eagles wanted to be a rock and roll band and even hired a new guitar man felder to do so and tried to portray themselves as such but then you go hear the albums and theres lots of ballads and country stuff. I like it but i imagine people buying hotel california thinking they are getting rockers like litfl and then they hear all these slowsongs like wasted time pretty maids gonna love again etc. And they were probably like wtf.

That is what I hear from people a lot too, that they're too boring sounding. That is just plain wrong, AND you could also say that about almost any band if your experience with them is limited! I have a friend who hates Pink Floyd because they sound boring to her. I can only shake my head at the idea of a classic rock band with multiple albums having EVERY SINGLE SONG be slow and boring. People just need to actually listen to the band and not just the few songs that the radio overplays.

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-21-2013, 01:16 AM
I always roll my eyes when I hear grown adults talk about "selling out" What are you in high school?

Mick

I never liked this term either. I just call it musical evolution. EVERY band grows and changes with their sound and the way they handle the business.

Houston Debutante
03-21-2013, 03:20 PM
I've always thought it was sick logic that when a bad is successful, it must be because they've done something 'unartistic.' How about they're successful because they have terrific material?!

03-21-2013, 07:22 PM
I've always thought it was sick logic that when a bad is successful, it must be because they've done something 'unartistic.' How about they're successful because they have terrific material?!

AMEN!

EaglesKiwi
03-21-2013, 08:02 PM
I agree they are successful because they have terrific material and they work darn hard at their craft, still striving for absolute excellence.

I do think many of their songs are underrated, or perhaps underexposed would be a more accurate term? So many people have probably only heard the Greatest Hits Volume I &II stuff, and in my opinion a lot of their best work isn't included on those. (The entire Desperado album where listening start to finish adds so much more than just hearing the songs individually; Long Road Out of Eden which has some masterpieces).

OutlawManNJ
03-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Here is a thread I created to show what I think is a REALLY underated band and why I dont think the Eagles should ever be categorized as underated as thats almost unfair to actual bands that are underated.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4190

Freypower
03-21-2013, 09:09 PM
NB: The thread has been moved to the Singing For The Sake of the Song forum & renamed 'Smithereens'.

03-21-2013, 09:59 PM
FP - I'm not sure why you want this thread moved to the Singing for the Sake of the Song forum. I think it belongs here. Please help me out if I'm missing something.

Freypower
03-21-2013, 10:24 PM
FP - I'm not sure why you want this thread moved to the Singing for the Sake of the Song forum. I think it belongs here. Please help me out if I'm missing something.

I was referring to a thread about another band which was created in Cheap Talk & Wine by OMNJ. I already moved it. I am not saying this thread I'm in now needs to be moved. I should have quoted OMNJ's post. I was just alerting people to it being in a different forum from where it was created. Although the link takes you to where it is now anyway so sorry for any confusion.

03-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Yeah - I was just coming back to edit my post because I thought I had solved the mystery.

Windeagle
03-23-2013, 11:13 PM
I agree with a lot of the points here, but I'll add one more that goes back to the post that started the thread. I think part of the reason for the heavy criticism is that radio in the 70's "loved the boys too much.". The hits were overplayed to the point that some people never wanted to hear them again.

I'll admit I had the same reaction the first time someone played me the Hotel California album a few years after it came out. For the first 3 songs, it was "Ho hum. Heard this a million times already." Then Wasted Time played and I was stunned into silence. I've been a huge fan ever since. Even now, my favorite songs are the ones you never hear on the radio. It's the people who are willing to look beyond the hits who see the beauty of the music.

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-24-2013, 01:57 AM
I agree with a lot of the points here, but I'll add one more that goes back to the post that started the thread. I think part of the reason for the heavy criticism is that radio in the 70's "loved the boys too much.". The hits were overplayed to the point that some people never wanted to hear them again.

I'll admit I had the same reaction the first time someone played me the Hotel California album a few years after it came out. For the first 3 songs, it was "Ho hum. Heard this a million times already." Then Wasted Time played and I was stunned into silence. I've been a huge fan ever since. Even now, my favorite songs are the ones you never hear on the radio. It's the people who are willing to look beyond the hits who see the beauty of the music.

Very well said!! I am the same way, I never listen to the radio, willingly anyway. Most of the songs I like are hidden tracks most people barely know. I wasn't old enough to hear the Eagles on the radio when they came out, so I didn't hear the radio oversaturated with them. I just knew about them from my mom's records but I wasn't really into them that much at the time. I think you can always get into a band the proper way if you can do it on your own, discover them at your own speed, etc.

NYC Fan
03-24-2013, 08:57 AM

This is so true. When I have mentioned the documentary and tour to anyone I know who isn't a fan, I'm met with a patient, if bemused, "that's nice". They may as well pat me on the head :). Most of my friends who are into rock think they are too "soft" or were totally overplayed. I want to make them sit down and listen to the albums to discover deeper cuts like Hollywood Waltz or James Dean or The Last Resort, etc... There are so many great songs on those albums that people have not heard. I agree with everyone who said they may not be underrated, but are (IMHO) certainly under-appreciated for the beauty of a lot of their music. The harmonies can just stun me sometimes, even having heard all the songs a ton of times.

I can't wait to see them again this Summer. I just wish more of my friends liked them, because I can't see too many of them agreeing to come with me to the shows. Which is too bad for them, as they are missing out.

bluefox4000
03-24-2013, 10:55 AM
It's funny deep cuts and Hollywood Waltz specifically was mentioned. I've converted a lot of people with that cut. Never judge until you've looked at the whgole picture.

Mick

Windeagle
03-24-2013, 08:59 PM
It's funny deep cuts and Hollywood Waltz specifically was mentioned. I've converted a lot of people with that cut. Never judge until you've looked at the whgole picture.

Mick

I LOVE Hollywood Waltz. That's one of my Top Five favorites.

sodascouts
03-24-2013, 09:00 PM
I kind of have to be in the mood to appreciate "Hollywood Waltz" but it's definitely good. One song that I really adore that is often overlooked is "Ol' 55." Something about that song just transports me.

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-24-2013, 09:46 PM
I want to make them sit down and listen to the albums to discover deeper cuts like Hollywood Waltz or James Dean or The Last Resort, etc... There are so many great songs on those albums that people have not heard.

I love Last Resort!! The main song for me that blows my mind it wasn't a single is Too Many Hands, just the message alone is so profound, and Randy's singing has never been better.

I agree with everyone who said they may not be underrated, but are (IMHO) certainly under-appreciated for the beauty of a lot of their music.

That is a good way to put it! I also think their lyrics are under appreciated. So many lyrics that could have been carved in stone or written in holy books!

The harmonies can just stun me sometimes, even having heard all the songs a ton of times.

YES!! I get chills every time they harmonize, even with the popular songs, even hearing them a few times a day! I love when music does that to you! I think the human voice is actually more beautiful than any instrument. I think what appeals to me most about this band is their vocals & lyrics more than anything.

I can't wait to see them again this Summer. I just wish more of my friends liked them, because I can't see too many of them agreeing to come with me to the shows. Which is too bad for them, as they are missing out.

I feel the same way, I want to see them in Milwaukee in July but don't know anyone who would go with me! And it's a 5 hour drive so i'd like to go with somebody.

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-24-2013, 09:50 PM
I kind of have to be in the mood to appreciate "Hollywood Waltz" but it's definitely good. One song that I really adore that is often overlooked is "Ol' 55." Something about that song just transports me.

I can't get into Hollywood Waltz but I plan on listening to all their songs again, that I don't have yet.

OMG Ol' 55!! I recently realized how amazing that song is, it's perfect for driving to! I've actually named my car "lady luck", and when i'm driving, I sing along really loud, "now the sun's coming up, ridin' with Lady Luck, freeway cars and trucks" :singer:

And the craziest thing happened today as I was driving listening to that song, right after that line, I saw a billboard that had the words "freeway" and "trucks" in it! oohhhh yeah!

sodascouts
03-24-2013, 09:53 PM
I was driving some students for a field trip to New Orleans and I put on the Eagles. We left around 5 am and literally, when the dawn was coming, I said "The sun's comin' up" and a student replied "Yes it is." No lie, she had never heard the song before that day, but it just sprang to her lips after hearing the song in the background a couple hours earlier. Nice. lol

Houston Debutante
03-25-2013, 10:46 AM
I love Hollywood Waltz too, Don sounds amazing.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Not only have Eagles not made their brackets of best artists going head-to-head, to day Ultimate Classic Rock issued their top ten list of best Classic Rock documentaries and our guys aren't on it. Sound City is, so it's not a 'newness' factor. These people have lost serious credibility with me.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/classic-rock-documentaries/

sodascouts
03-25-2013, 02:21 PM
I know those lists are meaningless but still... unbelievable.

ETA: Well, I guess I can see why it might suffer in comparison to some of the other ones on there, but it should have at least made the list.

Brooke
03-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Good grief, David Grohl's made it but the Eagles didn't? That's ridiculous! One of the biggest selling bands of all time?

The ever continuing hate the media has for the Eagles. :mad:

OutlawManNJ
03-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Good grief, David Grohl's made it but the Eagles didn't? That's ridiculous! One of the biggest selling bands of all time?

The ever continuing hate the media has for the Eagles. :mad:

Well I agree the doc is awesome BUT just because the Eagles are one of the best selling ever doesnt mean their doc has to be on a best of list. For example the doc Anvil the Story of Anvil is pretty good and the band never sold anything. "Best doc" doesnt have anything to do with the bands number of records sold.

That said that top 10 list is pretty weak.

U2's Rattle and Hum is an awesome documentary and should be in there. That list just went with the safe names for the most part.

03-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Well - I maintain what I wrote earlier ... the band often times gets no respect. OMNJ - you say that the creator's of the list went with a "safe" names. I agree, but I wonder why the Eagles, who are one of the best-selling bands ever aren't considered a "safe name"? I'm thinking it's because they aren't given due credit for their accomplishments.

OutlawManNJ
03-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Well - I maintain what I wrote earlier ... the band often times gets no respect. OMNJ - you say that the creator's of the list went with a "safe" names. I agree, but I wonder why the Eagles, who are one of the best-selling bands ever aren't considered a "safe name"? I'm thinking it's because they aren't given due credit for their accomplishments.

Because The Who, Beatles, Rush etc are safe because they are "cool". Most of the Eagles haters dont think the Eagles are cool. Thats why the Eagles wouldnt be a "safe" name. We Eagles fans know they are cool.

03-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Unfortunately, I think you may be, at least partially right, which says a lot about their credibility, doesn't it? We can be assured how reliable the list is when their main criteria is "cool". :shock:

zeldabjr
03-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Unfortunately, I think you may be, at least partially right, which says a lot about their credibility, doesn't it? We can be assured how reliable the list is when their main criteria is "cool". :shock:

yeah...what credibility?

bluefox4000
03-26-2013, 11:09 AM
I wonder how many people hate the Eagles cause they're "supposed to". Not cause they've actually Explored them.

Mick

sodascouts
03-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Seriously. It's "cool" in some circles to hate the Eagles so the lemmings of the group just join in.

WalshFan88
03-26-2013, 12:02 PM
The exclusion of HotE from UCR's list really pissed me off. As much as I liked the Sound City documentary, HotE was WAY better for me. I think they play favorites there (UCR).

In general I think they are underrated certainly by critics. As by people, well there is a lot of unwarranted hate (Lebowski makes me so mad - if I were the taxi driver I'd run over him AFTER I kicked him out). I know I defend them like family on guitar boards and people think I'm crazy for doing so but to me they are THE American Rock band and they are truly a guitar band. I think they are as known (or should be) for their guitar playing just as much as their harmony vocals. They had two polarizing types of players in the HC/LR era. One side you have the ultimate technician/schooled and very theory based (Felder), and the other side is a bluesy raw (even sloppy) guitarist that flies by the seat of his pants (Walsh). The two types go amazingly together in a rock n' roll band.

They IMO really perfected the idea of twin leads be it Frey/Felder (Already Gone) or Felder/Walsh (Hotel California). Sure, other bands had done it but they really did that very well. The other favorite of mine for that was Lynyrd Skynyrd but in LS's case they mostly had 3 separate solos rather than two or more at the same time. When I think of twin solos, Eagles is always first.

Topkat
03-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Here is my take on why there are "Eagle Haters" out there. I don't think it has as much to do with the "cool" factor as it has to do with the "money" factor.

I do believe that the Eagles were the first band to bring concert tickets OVER the $100. level. I think during HFO era...not 100% positive about that, but I believe I have read that someplace.....After the Eagles did it, many other bands followed & now, most concerts are almost always Over $100. ( I mean for the best seats) , but actually some even have crappy seats at over $100.
Many fans were angered by this & have found concerts out of their budget. I guess in 1994, $100. was a lot for a concert ticket.

The other factor is the "YouTube" issue with most of the Eagle songs being taken down.This has also caused some to "hate" the Eagles & think they are all about the money.

The only other issue I have seen some post hateful comments about is the firing of Don Felder...This has also caused some to turn against them, thinking that Felder was treated unfairly.
I do believe that these issues have turned some former fans off to them.

zeldabjr
03-26-2013, 04:02 PM
you may have something there TK...as much as I hate to admit it...but I'm not happy about any of the things you point out and I certainly didn't grow to hate them because of any of those things...but maybe more casual fans would be swayed by stuff like that...I don't know...

WalshFan88
03-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Those are definitely causes/excuses.

Other things I hear:

1. They are a "watered down/diluted" rock n' roll band and their music is too wimpy

2. They are "corporate rock"

Neither of which are true. Corporate rock I guess fits in somewhat with TK's money thing but I even heard people talk about them from their 70s music being too corporate rock.

TimothyBFan
03-26-2013, 05:21 PM
The other factor is the "YouTube" issue with most of the Eagle songs being taken down.This has also caused some to "hate" the Eagles & think they are all about the money.

I think you are definitely onto something here. I just posted a review in the HotE doc thread and the final paragraph was all about this.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-26-2013, 06:38 PM

Actually, not a lot of people are aware of why they aren't out there. In the Twitter searches I do every day, I do see that maybe once a month. What I see a lot more frequently is tweets to the effect of 'if they can't be found on You Tube, they must not be too popular any more.'

sodascouts
03-26-2013, 06:48 PM
I think the hard feelings come in when people click on a link to watch an Eagles video and see a takedown message instead. "Cass County Music" became infamous for this and to this day, the phrase is associated with aggressive YouTube purges amongst many regular YouTube users.

Topkat
03-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Actually, not a lot of people are aware of why they aren't out there. In the Twitter searches I do every day, I do see that maybe once a month. What I see a lot more frequently is tweets to the effect of 'if they can't be found on You Tube, they must not be too popular any more.'

I think people do know why. If you look at the YouTube videos where the audio is taken down....look at the comments people write about it...
Even the videos where there is still audio, there are lots of comments about the so-called "greed" of the Eagles.

Twitter really doesn't reflect what's going on at YouTube. Every band is on YouTube, going back even to the 60's. People write comments about how the Eagles, or Henley, or "their people" take down the videos.

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-26-2013, 07:03 PM
No matter what people's reasons/excuses are for not liking the band, I still would tell them before they form an opinion, they should listen to all their albums, in their entirety. The music is truly the only thing that is really important anyway, in the grand scheme of things. I am 99% sure that if these Eagles haters really gave all their music a chance, they would change their mind. I don't even form opinions on bands until I can call myself informed of all their music.

And yeah so maybe they have drama and fights and people being treated unfairly or not, prices too high for tickets, etc. but what band doesn't go through that at some point? Every band has some type of drama behind the scenes or moments where they appear to be greedy. Bands are like families and like corporations, you are going to have problems, but if the music is good, that should be the bare minimum of what it takes for someone to like a band in the first place.

Scarlet Sun
03-26-2013, 07:07 PM
The music is truly the only thing that is really important anyway, in the grand scheme of things. . . if the music is good, that should be the bare minimum of what it takes for someone to like a band in the first place.
This is very true for me, because in that regard I am very close to the bare minimum. I still call myself a "fan" without embarrassment though, and will defend the music of theirs that I like from anyone

VAisForEagleLovers
03-26-2013, 07:19 PM
I think people do know why. If you look at the YouTube videos where the audio is taken down....look at the comments people write about it...
Even the videos where there is still audio, there are lots of comments about the so-called "greed" of the Eagles.

Twitter really doesn't reflect what's going on at YouTube. Every band is on YouTube, going back even to the 60's. People write comments about how the Eagles, or Henley, or "their people" take down the videos.

I'm talking about the tweets on Twitter where people actually mention a video or song and wonder they can't see it. I'm sorry if you think these people are lying when they tweet they don't know why they can't find a video. The whole world must know that the Eagles are the only band on the planet who are too stupid to give their music away for free.

Topkat
03-26-2013, 07:26 PM
I'm talking about the tweets on Twitter where people actually mention a video or song and wonder they they can't see it. I'm sorry if you think these are lying when they tweet they don't know why they can't find a video. The whole world must know that the Eagles are the only band on the planet who are too stupid to give their music away for free.

I do searches on twitter about the Eagles also, & frankly, I really don't find that many. I'm not saying anyone is lying....I just don't see many tweets about the Eagles at all.
:shrug:

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-26-2013, 07:46 PM
I do searches on twitter about the Eagles also, & frankly, I really don't find that many. I'm not saying anyone is lying....I just don't see many tweets about the Eagles at all.
:shrug:

Tell me about it! Every time I search for someone talking about them on there, 99% of the results are somebody talking about the Eagles football team! lol

VAisForEagleLovers
03-26-2013, 07:51 PM
You need to do the '-' and remove most of that. I have several saved search criteria for the Eagles to try and avoid that, but most of what I see is when I search on Don. He gets at least 175 tweets a day, and occasionally a few of them comment on the lack of videos.

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-26-2013, 08:43 PM
You need to do the '-' and remove most of that. I have several saved search criteria for the Eagles to try and avoid that, but most of what I see is when I search on Don. He gets at least 175 tweets a day, and occasionally a few of them comment on the lack of videos.

I use Tweetdeck, not the actual Twitter site, and I don't know how to alter the results I get. I am laughing so hard right now, I just did a search for Randy Meisner and saw this tweet:

Ask for the "Joyce DeWitt" “: Do you know where I can get a Randy Meisner wig?

:hilarious:

Houston Debutante
03-27-2013, 10:49 AM
I think the hard feelings come in when people click on a link to watch an Eagles video and see a takedown message instead. "Cass County Music" became infamous for this and to this day, the phrase is associated with aggressive YouTube purges amongst many regular YouTube users.

For sure!

Topkat
03-27-2013, 11:12 AM
No matter what people's reasons/excuses are for not liking the band, I still would tell them before they form an opinion, they should listen to all their albums, in their entirety. The music is truly the only thing that is really important anyway, in the grand scheme of things. I am 99% sure that if these Eagles haters really gave all their music a chance, they would change their mind. I don't even form opinions on bands until I can call myself informed of all their music.

And yeah so maybe they have drama and fights and people being treated unfairly or not, prices too high for tickets, etc. but what band doesn't go through that at some point? Every band has some type of drama behind the scenes or moments where they appear to be greedy. Bands are like families and like corporations, you are going to have problems, but if the music is good, that should be the bare minimum of what it takes for someone to like a band in the first place.

I think a lot of people DO like the music, but maybe don't like the Eagles as a band for the reasons mentioned. If a band does things that people don't like , like take down all the videos, or feel they cannot afford to go see the concerts, then maybe say they "Can't stand the Eagles" but I don't really think it's the music they are really talking about....It's unfortunately the "Guys" that they don't like....Sad, but I do think that is what they are saying~ that they don't like them, as people, or like the things they do or stand for....They feel, why should I support this band????

Scarlet Sun
03-27-2013, 02:20 PM
I think a lot of people DO like the music, but maybe don't like the Eagles as a band for the reasons mentioned. If a band does things that people don't like , like take down all the videos, or feel they cannot afford to go see the concerts, then maybe say they "Can't stand the Eagles" but I don't really think it's the music they are really talking about....It's unfortunately the "Guys" that they don't like....Sad, but I do think that is what they are saying~ that they don't like them, as people, or like the things they do or stand for....They feel, why should I support this band????
Love the art, not the artist

OutlawManNJ
03-28-2013, 11:24 PM
Here is my take on why there are "Eagle Haters" out there. I don't think it has as much to do with the "cool" factor as it has to do with the "money" factor.

I do believe that the Eagles were the first band to bring concert tickets OVER the $100. level. I think during HFO era...not 100% positive about that, but I believe I have read that someplace.....After the Eagles did it, many other bands followed & now, most concerts are almost always Over $100. ( I mean for the best seats) , but actually some even have crappy seats at over $100.
Many fans were angered by this & have found concerts out of their budget. I guess in 1994, $100. was a lot for a concert ticket.

The only other issue I have seen some post hateful comments about is the firing of Don Felder...This has also caused some to turn against them, thinking that Felder was treated unfairly.
I do believe that these issues have turned some former fans off to them.

Nah that may have added a few angered fans that realized the eagles were over the top money hungry but the eagle haters existed well before the hell frezzes over 100 plus dollar tickets. Im still and eagles fan but i have to admit that in 94 when they pointed me out of a crowd and demanded i hand over my film that did ruin alot the image i had of the band. With them making millions per show they were worried about a fan taking pics. As a fan my issue w the eagles is greed. But haters are differnt. They dont care about that. They just dont like the music and maybe the personalities in the band. And as insaid that was well before youtube or ticket prices.

Houston Debutante
04-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Nah that may have added a few angered fans that realized the eagles were over the top money hungry but the eagle haters existed well before the hell frezzes over 100 plus dollar tickets. Im still and eagles fan but i have to admit that in 94 when they pointed me out of a crowd and demanded i hand over my film that did ruin alot the image i had of the band. With them making millions per show they were worried about a fan taking pics. As a fan my issue w the eagles is greed. But haters are differnt. They dont care about that. They just dont like the music and maybe the personalities in the band. And as insaid that was well before youtube or ticket prices.

Good point, there have always been haters.

04-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Yep - I think you are right on with your post OMNJ. The haters go back to the early to mid-70's ... they're the ones that thought it wasn't cool to like the Eagles cause they didn't think they rocked hard enough.

Topkat
04-02-2013, 01:25 PM
The Eagles were never known as hard core rockers. They were always on the mellow side, even with Joe & Felder...I don't think the haters go back to the 70's...I think it was more after HFO, but that's just my opinion.

In the 70's Frey had a bad rap, at least here in NY, but I still don't think there were a lot of Eagle Haters back then. There was a lot of that mellow sound out there in the 70's. It came down to the greed, & that really didn't start until later.

zeldabjr
04-02-2013, 02:38 PM
The Eagles were never known as hard core rockers. They were always on the mellow side, even with Joe & Felder...I don't think the haters go back to the 70's...I think it was more after HFO, but that's just my opinion.

In the 70's Frey had a bad rap, at least here in NY, but I still don't think there were a lot of Eagle Haters back then. There was a lot of that mellow sound out there in the 70's. It came down to the greed, & that really didn't start until later.

what do you mean "Frey had a bad rap"???

04-02-2013, 03:02 PM

TK - With all due respect, you come across as very condescending the way you dispute what others here have posted without citing any facts to back up your post. Eagles haters go back to the 70's for the reasons some of us have stated here and all of them got a 'bad rap' at times back then. This is not something that is a matter of opinion, it is verifiable fact. But, you don't have to take our word for this, you can do some research for yourself. I would urge you to do that in the future before being so quick to refute what others have written.

Topkat
04-03-2013, 10:22 AM
what do you mean "Frey had a bad rap"???

Glenn had said something in NY at a show, I think at MSG that insulted a NY band. He got some flack for it here.

Topkat
04-03-2013, 10:28 AM
TK - With all due respect, you come across as very condescending the way you dispute what others here have posted without citing any facts to back up your post. Eagles haters go back to the 70's for the reasons some of us have stated here and all of them got a 'bad rap' at times back then. This is not something that is a matter of opinion, it is verifiable fact. But, you don't have to take our word for this, you can do some research for yourself. I would urge you to do that in the future before being so quick to refute what others have written.

Dreamer, Every time I give my opinion, you call me condescending....
It's just my OPINION. I didn't really see Eagle haters around in the 70's, but that is what I observed. I was around in the 70's

Freypower
04-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Dreamer, Every time I give my opinion, you call me condescending....
It's just my OPINION. I didn't really see Eagle haters around in the 70's, but that is what I observed. I was around in the 70's

First you say you 'didn't see Eagle haters in the 70s' and yet you were very quick with the 'Frey had a bad rap' stuff. Because he dissed the New York Dolls at one performance it is a huge stretch to then extrapolate from that that everybody in New York in the 70s gave him a 'bad rap'. Regardless, doesn't that come under the Eagle haters category, or if it is Frey, is it OK, in your view?

And believe it or not, other people had different observations from you, which you seem entirely unable to comprehend. You really do seem to think that it only happened if you saw it or heard about it.

TimothyBFan
04-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Honestly, can't we all just get along?!?!?!? :brickwall: It's starting to get almost stressful to read some of these threads anymore. Life's just too short for this kind of arguing and bickering over things, that in the grand scheme of things in life, really aren't all that important. :sad:

Sorry, but just my opinion and I felt like I needed to give it right about now.

pueblo47
04-03-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm in total agreement with that, Willie.

04-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Honestly, can't we all just get along?!?!?!? :brickwall: It's starting to get almost stressful to read some of these threads anymore. Life's just too short for this kind of arguing and bickering over things, that in the grand scheme of things in life, really aren't all that important. :sad:

Sorry, but just my opinion and I felt like I needed to give it right about now.

I agree with you, and I wish it were that simple cause, personally, I think it’s a lot more fun to post on the board when there isn’t so much negativity. Getting along with one another doesn’t have to translate into everyone agreeing about everything. I remember a time when that was the case, but then, there are some members who have come along that intentionally or unintentionally stir the wind. It can be tiresome and frustrating dealing with these issues, for sure. IMO, they are best dealt with privately, but that’s very hard to control if others want to respond. But, as a certain long-haired bass player once sang, we’ll ‘keep on tryin’! Since this has been discussed ad nauseam in the past, I’m really hoping this thread doesn’t get hijacked to rehash the same ole same ole.

Prettymaid
04-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Hi guys. I see not too much has changed here. ;-)

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts in this thread yet, so sorry if this view has already been posted, but I think that since the Eagles were up and coming (along with the SoCal rock movement) in the early seventies, there became a natural divide between some folks who were into the rockers (The Stones, etc...) and the folks who liked folk and folk rock - soft rock, if you will. It certainly wasn't a huge split, but enough to be featured in the cab scene of TBL. In other words, some fans of rock couldn't stand the easy sounding rock which became the sound of the Eagles, Jackson Browne, JD Souther, and others.