PDA

View Full Version : Two Eagles 'sets' return to Billboard 200

VAisForEagleLovers
04-01-2013, 09:30 AM
With all the showings on Showtime and all the press surrounding the movie and perhaps even the tour, The Very Best of The Eagles and Their Greatest Hits 1971 - 1975 have both returned to the Billboard 200!

Very Best Of... is at 104 and up 54% in sales and Greatest Hits is at 143 and up 34% in sales.

"In honor of the band's resurgence..." this article includes a Chart Beat countdown of the Eagles' top group and solo hits.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/1550455/weekly-chart-notes-the-eagles-greatest-hits

ETA: What Billboard chose as #1 will surprise a few, but I'm very happy with it, since it's my personal fave. Numbers 2 and 3 are solo songs.

RebeccaLovesEagles
04-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Yeah for billboard :yay::yay:

It's a nice list:band:

Houston Debutante
04-01-2013, 10:54 AM
It also doesn't shy away from the group's struggles with substance abuse

I don't agree with this. Except for Joe's alcoholism and cocaine in the 80s, I think they blew off the substance use as no big deal in the documentary. It was basically 'Yeah, we did it, it wasn't a good idea because it brought out the worst in us, but everybody else was doing it and we turned out OK ~ next topic.' It wasn't like they talked about any specific examples that would have illustrated the destructiveness of cocaine, and Don still acted ticked off that Glyn Johns had told them not to use drugs in the studio. I thought the drug use was played down.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Hmm - I don't know, HD. I don't really think they blew over the drug use in the film. I thought they gave it about the right amount of attention, without dwelling on it. They did talk about how much of their demise, and the 1980 Long Beach show in particular, were fueled by the band's cocaine use. But, as Don, points out here, there were other facets of the band's history that they wanted to focus on ...

"... The documentary is the story of an American band, but it's also the story of the songs we wrote. We're here because everybody likes the songs."

Tiffanny Twisted
04-01-2013, 06:30 PM
very nice article

i think the fact that they admidt to the drugs is amazing. At the time it was going on "everybody " was doing it so it wasnt as f rowned upon at the time.

EaglesKiwi
04-03-2013, 02:41 PM
I think they did the right thing by acknowledging it happened, but not going into too much detail. (Not that I've seen the documentary yet... ).

I don't really need to hear all the specifics. That was one of the things I disliked about Felder's book (together with his derogatory comment about the availability of casual sex).

NYC Fan
04-03-2013, 02:58 PM
I agree that they did not need to delve into the drug use any more than they did. I think we can all guess what was available to them as one of the biggest bands of the 70's.

I like the saying "trust the art, not the artist". The documentary was, and should have been, primarily about the music and the creative process. And it's very cool to see old albums re-charting!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-14-2013, 09:25 PM
The Very Best of the Eagles is still on the Billboard 200. It was 133 last week, and is 137 this week. By the way, it peaked at #3 back when it debuted, and has spent a total of 85 weeks on the Billboard 200.

I didn't see Greatest Hits Vol. 1 on the chart.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Down to 141 this week.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Good news!! Not long after I started this thread, Greatest Hits 1971 - 1975 fell off Billboard 200 completely, and Very Best Of kept going down bit by bit. This week, Greatest Hits 1971-1975 appeared back on the chart at #93!

The Very Best Of The Eagles was #168 last week and is #110 this week.

Prettymaid
05-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Yay! The doc is making them even more popular!

Outlawman13
05-10-2013, 11:12 PM
That is too cool!!!! Getting very popular again.

OutlawManNJ
05-11-2013, 02:09 AM
I always imagine people buying Greatest Hits 1 and then saying "Where the hell is Hotel California!"

Ive always been a dreamer
05-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Well - I don't know, OMNJ. I think since it is Greatest Hits I, most people figure there is a Greatest Hits II. I still think it is interesting that GH I is so far ahead of GH II in terms of sales. It makes me wonder if the difference would be even higher if Hotel California was on GH I. Of course, Hotel California didn't even exist when GH I was released so it's not as if it were some planned marketing ploy, even though it kinda turned out that way.

Along the same lines, I remember us discussing the fact that on "The Very Best of" compilation, many of us thought that Hotel California should have been the first song on Disc 2 rather than the last song on Disc 1.