PDA

View Full Version : Question about Eagles disbandings in 1980?

gobear
04-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Surely, this is an old news but what actually happened in the concert?

From what I know, Glenn & Don Felder were heated in some arguement that they wanted to kill each other after the concert?

What was it? Is it that serious that needed to cause split up??

Ive always been a dreamer
04-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Welcome gobear - The real answer to your question is very long and involved and you would need to do some reading and other research to get the whole story. However, the short answer to your question is that the Long Beach concert was the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back". Glenn blew up at Felder after Senator Alan Cranston and his wife came up to thank the band, Felder remarked, "You're welcome"... and then as he turned away, he added "... I guess".

After that incident, disillusioned and burnt out, Glenn decided to call it quits.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Welcome, gobear! Glad to have you here!

Thank you, Dreamer, for replying and reminding me that I never did.

Gobear, the new documentary has some actual footage, but I feel it glosses over the things that went before it. In interviews with both Don and Glenn in the early 80's, both said there were a lot of tensions and especially between them and the 'guitar players' for some time and by the time of the Long Beach concert, there was no tolerance left on anyone's part and especially Glenn's.

They didn't actually fight after the concert, but it was the end of the Eagles for 14 years.

sodascouts
04-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Welcome gobear!

The argument was basically Felder and Glenn exchanging nasty comments in between songs. They didn't literally want to kill each other, but Glenn used the phrase to announce to Felder that he was planning on giving him a beat down after the show. Felder wisely decided to hightail it out of the venue afterwards. Once Glenn had calmed down a bit, he decided that the Eagles were becoming too dysfunctional to continue and so he disbanded the group.

As Dreamer says, it was the "straw that broke the camel's back" but also I think it was symbolic to Glenn of the way the band was falling apart. He just was tired of dealing with all the crap. All the joy of being in a band had been sucked out by that kind of drama and faced with the prospect of more of the same, he decided to end the band instead.

GlennLover
04-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Just as a matter of interest, Glenn comments a bit about the incident in this 2012 interview: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18577699

gobear
04-24-2013, 12:00 AM
WOw!!
Thanks for the info guys. I saw the documentary and the link above. Now I finally know the reason why. Seems like Glenn matured all these years which si good to hear

I was not a fan of Don solo, but these recent days, I have been trying to listen his solo songs and I tend to find his classic hit of The End Of Innonence, the live version in youtube seems to be better than the studio for some reason (which is the same for The Last Resort hell freezes over live version, I find it much enjoyable than his studio version of the 70s). Maybe his voice tends to be more mature and listenable as he matures which is rare as usually it is the opposide way.