PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Prices

VAisForEagleLovers
05-07-2013, 08:07 AM
Over in the Eagles Tour 2013 discussion thread, we started talking about ticket prices for other bands, and I thought maybe I should have started it here! For reference, I'll put the link to the article about slow sales for the Rolling Stones.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-slow-ticket-sales/

Prettymaid
05-07-2013, 08:25 AM
And if we want to talk about Eagles ticket prices there is a thread already started here.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2229

VAisForEagleLovers
05-07-2013, 08:30 AM
I am by no means an expert, but I do read a lot of articles and I try to stick to reputable sources. That said, nearly everyone who publishes an article has an agenda they are trying to promote and facts can skewed with a touch of opinion to get the reader to think the way they want.

Over the last ten years or so, I've seen many articles that have warned about ticket prices going up, and for several different reasons. Between that and some logic of my own, here's my list.

1. Torrent sites, file sharing sites, generally copying music for a friend. Even highly popular artists don't sell even a fraction of the amount of records sold twenty years ago. Too many people have access to free music, so why pay for it? Artists need to pick up the slack somewhere and touring is it.

2. Electronic downloads. People can easily download the song or songs they want instead of buying an entire album. While this was true of singles in the past (45's), playing a bunch of 45's on a record player took a lot of work (mine would only stack LPs) and certainly not like making a playlist now. So, selling two songs of an album instead of the whole album means a lot less money, even without considering #1.

3. This is the one where I applied 'logic'. Cost of touring. Most of the sets are moved via truck at union wages for the drivers and we all know how much gas costs compared to even a decade ago. The cost of the trucks, insurance, all that has outpaced inflation in my opinion. What you pay roadies/crew is higher.

4. This is another where I applied my own logic, although I have seen some references to it in local newspapers. Taxes. Local taxing authorities have applied 'entertainment taxes' and what have you to the tickets above the sales tax, and in addition have applied taxes to the artists in some/most locations where they need to pay a type of income tax in the city and state where they earned the money. Rather than increasing sales tax or income taxes, these types of taxes have become an easier way to generate money without taxpayers screaming too loudly.

5. Finally, what is in my mind one of the biggest reasons, the merger of Ticketmaster/LiveNation. Critics of the merger warned this would happen, and to pacify them, for the first year or so prices remained somewhat stable. In the last year or so, prices have raised dramatically. You can't assume that the artists are making anywhere near what the base price of the ticket is. After the venue gets their cut (and their insurance rates have skyrocketed as well), TM/LN gets their big cut. Artist management as well.

6. There is, of course, the fact that the artists themselves want to be paid a lot of money. There's a certain cachet in commanding high ticket prices and after all, an artist's success is generally written up as how they place in Billboard's Top Grossing Acts category for a given year.

ETA: I give these as the reasons for the prices going up. I don't necessarily believe they are good reasons, and just because I pay the prices doesn't mean I don't think they should be lower. As I said in the Eagles thread, at least our guys have made the lowest priced tickets affordable. It doesn't mean I agree that the highest priced tickets should be as high as they are!

TimothyBFan
05-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Oops--- I didn't see this thread and just posted in the Eagles tour thread. Here's what I just said there:

I was having a discussion just this past weekend with someone who knew I was trying to get tickets for a couple upcoming shows of different acts. Bon Jovi in Chicago is around $600 per ticket, etc.... I told them I give up. I've resigned myself to the fact that I most likely have seen some of my last concerts. I'm extremely glad I have seen hundreds of them in the past because I just will NOT, no way, no how EVER buy a ticket that is the price of my car payment. I don't care who it is!! It's not even that I can't afford it, I just simply WILL NOT spend that kind of money for an 1 1/2 - 3 hours of a show topped with traveling expenses, hotels, time off work, etc.... We are talking a couple weeks wages at times. That's insane!! But this is just my opinion and I know many others feel completely different and good for them. But when I can take that $1000 and stick it in the bank for retirement, make a triple car payment or a mortgage payment, it isn't happening for this girl. And frankly, that saddens me that someone who loves music as much as I do, has had to make that decision. :sad:

Prettymaid
05-07-2013, 08:51 AM
At least bands like Styx, REO, Kansas, Head East and the like are still affordable by many standards. Of course, it's not the same as seeing the big names, but I have left an REO show extremely happy and more than satisfied.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-07-2013, 08:58 AM
TBF, you didn't see it because I started it after reading your post!

Obviously, I'm one of those who will pay the $$ for tickets, however, I am particular about the location of the seat. The fact that venues charge the 'top price' for floor seats in the back which are generally the worst seats in the entire place drives me crazy.

Back in the early 80's, we went to a lot of concerts and always had seats near the front, which completely spoils you. I stopped going to concerts completely when my marriage ended, except for a few local festivals where I got to see the likes of Garth Brooks and Vince Gill.

I don't go to see a lot of artists other than our guys and most of that is the quality of the performance. I love Van Halen, but in a live setting they tend to sing off key and not in synch. Most people take it in as part of the 'live experience' but it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I'm certainly not going to pay Van Halen's ticket prices to hear it (last I checked, they were about $25 more than the Eagles).

VAisForEagleLovers
05-07-2013, 09:01 AM
At least bands like Styx, REO, Kansas, Head East and the like are still affordable by many standards. Of course, it's not the same as seeing the big names, but I have left an REO show extremely happy and more than satisfied.

I would love to see Styx, REO, and a few others, but when they play around here, it's always in outdoor venues and usually general admission. As a rule, I don't ever do either of those. I'm just not a big enough fan to stand in line for hours to get a good place to sit or get rained on. Starting on Memorial Day, the 90-day forecast here is hot and humid with a chance of afternoon or evening thunderstorms!

TimothyBFan
05-07-2013, 09:09 AM

And you know how I feel about Styx shows. I still tell everyone who'll listen that the best concert for the money for me was several Styx concerts.... $54 on the floor in front of stage where they throw out cds, t-shirts, souvenirs of all sorts AND pose for pictures or take your camera and take their own pictures on stage before giving it back to you. You can't get better than that.

I'm with you, VA, about the whole good seat thing. I think that weighed heavily on my decision to just give up. I don't have the time or patience to log in every hour in hopes of getting a decent seat. AND when I can log into Ticketmaster the minute a ticket goes on sale and get nothing better that Row RR, I have a real problem with that. That's just not fair--- whether they are scalping their own tickets or giving them out as comp tickets, etc.... it isn't fair for their biggest fans to have to wait for a good seat to drop from a ticket broker who is going to double, triple, etc the face value of that ticket. That angers me more than anything. The heck with it!!!

Prettymaid
05-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Well, I haven't given up yet, but I'm very frustrated.

sodascouts
05-07-2013, 09:35 AM
I also wish there were more cheap seats available. Many bands pull the whole "tickets starting as low as x" PR but when you attempt to buy that cheap ticket, they sell out almost instantly because there isn't very many of them. Then, they want to charge top dollar not only for the entirety of the floor, but the entirety of the first tier of seats, which in the end often comes out to over a third of the seats being top price.

Brooke
05-07-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm pretty much disgusted with ticket prices too. When my husband and I were talking about going to see Fleetwood Mac in Chicago and how much tickets were, we decided to go and it would have to be our vacation this year. We had been fans since the 70's and never gotten to see them, so it was a one time thing for us. When you add the price of a hotel, gas, time off work, and meals to the ticket prices, we just can't afford to do that very often.

I hope to get to see the Eagles on this HotE tour, but it will have to be in St. Louis which is much closer. And then I won't be paying top dollar for seats in the back on the floor. That's ridiculous! I don't know, at these prices, I may not go at all. There's is more to do in life that watch a concert for 2 hours. Once you leave it's over! Yes, you have the memory, but there is a big world to see out there and some of my money is going to go for me to see it. I guess it depends on your priorities.

VA, I understand all the costs involved, but they are pricing themselves out of my market and many other blue collar fans too. Not only the Eagles, but all these bands that are charging these prices. Soon they will only be for rich people, I guess. In my book, they already are. :sad:

Glennsallnighter
05-07-2013, 10:32 AM
$600 to see Bon Jovi seems like an incredible amount.

I think when you factor in all that is involved most prices (Except for the VIP ones!) are probably fair, if a little steep. Taxes of course don't help.

I paid HH a little over $200 for our Taylor Swift seate earlier this year. Considering she is selling out 3 and 4 shows in a venue within 10 mins of going love I consider myself lucky to have gotten them.

I will admit money would not be a factor if Glenn :heart: played here. wishful thinking!

sodascouts
05-07-2013, 10:59 AM
It all depends on market value. When sales go down enough, so will prices. Pleading high overhead costs and "we're forced to charge high prices because we make less in other areas" are just excuses for PR purposes. They will charge what they can get. It's the capitalist way.

As for the cost of touring: Fleetwood Mac is keeping costs down by getting rid of some of the more expensive decorative items. I'd rather pay less and skip the needless high price trimmings that contribute to driving up touring costs. That is just one example. There are many other ways bands can keep costs down and they know it. Excuses, excuses.

Henley Honey
05-07-2013, 04:28 PM
$600 to see Bon Jovi seems like an incredible amount.

I think when you factor in all that is involved most prices (Except for the VIP ones!) are probably fair, if a little steep. Taxes of course don't help.

I paid HH a little over $200 for our Taylor Swift seate earlier this year. Considering she is selling out 3 and 4 shows in a venue within 10 mins of going love I consider myself lucky to have gotten them.

I will admit money would not be a factor if Glenn :heart: played here. wishful thinking!

I must really have a magic touch then because I got 2 tix 10th row Floor for Bon Jovi at Met Life Stadium in July for my cousin for $356 all in.
I had gotten a presale code, though, so maybe that really does make a difference.

Windeagle
05-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Generally, I won't allow myself to spend more than $100 on a concert ticket. I made an exception for the Eagles this time because I've never seen them before and who knows if I'll ever be able to again. They are the ONLY band that I would have done this for.

Fortunately, I managed to see most of the major acts that I wanted to see back in the 80's and 90's for relatively reasonable prices. Having seen them once, I don't need to do it again. Besides the fact that the prices are through the roof, I also lack a good concert buddy to see them with. My husband, bless his heart, will go with me so I don't have to go alone, but I know he doesn't really enjoy live shows.

I've had better luck lately with some of the up-and-coming bands, many of whom are shunning Ticketmaster and selling through their own websites. I got tickets to the Gentlemen of the Road tour (Mumford & Sons, Dawes, and many others) last year for $69. I also saw Florence & the Machine with my girls for $48 apiece. Both shows were among the best concerts I've been to in recent years.

I also regularly see my other favorite band, Carbon Leaf, whenever they're in town. The tickets are sold directly by the venue, usually for less than $40 each.

Prettymaid
05-08-2013, 09:12 AM
I wish all ticket prices were kept to maximum $100 to $150. If you're like us and have to get two tickets it gets ridiculously pricey! And yet sometimes we still go for it if we can't hold back. This Eagles tour is like that for us. We feel like we have to go, but can't rationalize putting out $700 to $800 to do it. :-(

SallyGee
05-09-2013, 03:47 PM
I hope this wasn't posted here and I missed it, but I thought this article belonged on here. Good for Kid Rock!
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/04/kid-rock-progressive-hero-why-hes-right-to-charge-20-per-ticket/275192/

Brooke
05-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Wow! That just gave me a new appreciation for Kid Rock and Garth Brooks.

Just goes to show ya........

Prettymaid
05-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Me too! I suddenly love Kid Rock!

Topkat
05-09-2013, 09:26 PM
VA, I would like to know how file sharing of music & electronic downloads affects ticket prices to the extent where tickets have gone up like a thousand percent??? People have been downloading for at least 10 years now, so yes, this does cut into sales of albums, but HOW does this justify tickets in the $600- $1000 range for STADIUM SEATS? I'm not talking first few rows here. I'm talking levels up, where you really cannot see, except for the big screen. These stadiums hold what 15,000 to 30,000 seats? I can't even imagine what they take in at a stadium...even with seats in the $150. -$300. range.
To me it's a matter of pure GREED. They charge as much as they can get away with...
Aside from the fact that these big acts already have hundreds of millions of dollars, I just don't get that they have to price gouge the public. Really pisses me off.

The concert experience sure isn't the same as it was back in the day. I'm sure glad I grew up when I did; when I was able to go to a concert every weekend...the reefer was passed around, like it was nothing & the security guards didn't care..Ah..Yes, the good old days!

NYC Fan
05-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Well, good for Kid Rock. Very admirable. However, I'd like to know where they are getting their $200 price for Springsteen tickets. I've never seen a face value ticket for his US shows be more than $120. And no VIP priced seats either. Everyone has an equal shot at the front with the GA lottery. But it makes for a better story, I guess...

VAisForEagleLovers
05-09-2013, 10:58 PM
VA, I would like to know how file sharing of music & electronic downloads affects ticket prices to the extent where tickets have gone up like a thousand percent??? People have been downloading for at least 10 years now, so yes, this does cut into sales of albums, but HOW does this justify tickets in the $600- $1000 range for STADIUM SEATS? I'm not talking first few rows here. I'm talking levels up, where you really cannot see, except for the big screen. These stadiums hold what 15,000 to 30,000 seats? I can't even imagine what they take in at a stadium...even with seats in the $150. -$300. range.
To me it's a matter of pure GREED. They charge as much as they can get away with...
Aside from the fact that these big acts already have hundreds of millions of dollars, I just don't get that they have to price gouge the public. Really pisses me off.

The concert experience sure isn't the same as it was back in the day. I'm sure glad I grew up when I did; when I was able to go to a concert every weekend...the reefer was passed around, like it was nothing & the security guards didn't care..Ah..Yes, the good old days!

I read it a while back, I think it was in USA Today. They had one of those Cover Story articles that are pretty lengthy (for them). They interviewed several artists and all of them said the only way to make money in the music business was in touring, that money from album sales was nearly non-existent between the contracts the labels offered and the lack of sales.

I read it again in another article last year, I probably posted it here, about the inroads on artists salaries that things like Spotify are doing. Again, they said touring was it and that most artists had demanded more money when touring.

So, I didn't say it, but I did read it from a reputable source. The reputable source didn't say electronic downloads were at fault and neither did I. Copying music instead of buying is what I wrote. ALSO, I did not say the high prices were due to this. I gave a big list of reasons and once you combine them all, you have higher prices. Naturally, there's inflation involved as well, and that's across the board with everything.

Most stadiums hold 60,000+ for football games. Add seats on the field and you're looking at a lot people. I said before, I'll say it again, I know know the percentages and I wish I did, but I'm betting an artist doesn't even see close to 50% of the cost of a ticket. Obviously, there's a lot more people riding the backs of popular artists in order to make a buck.

While I agree there's greed involved, it's on far more than the artists in my opinion. You can blame it all on them if it makes you feel better.

Topkat
05-10-2013, 08:15 AM
According to the article by Kid Rock, he says the artists take in between 70- 90% of the ticket prices....So that is a huge amount...

VA, you gave a list of the reasons for tickets being so high, but the percentage of the increase in comparison to the percentage of increase in everything else on the list is just not reasonable...yes, gas, wages, transportation, everything has gone up, but not nearly as much as concert tickets.

Even Kid Rock says that he makes tons of money.Now he is charging $20. for tickets, so average income people can see it...I'm not saying every show should cost this much, but prices are pretty much insane right now for some acts.

I feel bad for kids of this generation because not only are they paying through the nose for tickets....some of the acts have the nerve to LIP SYNC the show?? I don't ever want to see that!!! If I do, I will demand my money back. I don't think anyone I would see would do that, but it happens. I have heard that Madonna, Britney Spears, JLo & some others do it... Is that balls or what?

TimothyBFan
05-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Yay, Kid Rock!!!! Good for you and I hope (but doubt) it shames others into doing the same thing.

Let's not forget that most of these artist are already multimillionaires. Just how much money does one have to make in a lifetime? And I've said it before and will continue to say it----let's not forget HOW you made those millions and why you're up on that stage performing. If it wasn't for that hard working individual that has bought your albums, merchandise and seen your concerts, you'd be still in the garage hoping to become a rock star! How about showing your appreciation by lowering the ticket prices to an affordable amount. When a ticket price is a mortgage payment for an average adult, there's a problem. I don't care who you wish to blame, I still believe it's the performer who is the bottom line in the decision making and should stand their ground in saying let's lower these prices.

I do NOT need a huge light show, special effects, production, etc... play the freaking music and I'm all kinds of happy. Like I said above, you've made your millions and what better way to show your appreciation than letting your average fan be able to afford a concert ticket to see you perform. I'd be willing to bet that most of ANY artists fans are average ordinary people who cannot afford to spend hundreds of dollars for an 1 1/2 -3 hour performance. Period!! I almost feel insulted, for lack of a better word, any more when trying to buy a ticket. I feel like, "how dare you! Do you not realize how much money I have spent over the years on your merchandise, albums, etc... I deserve better than this!" :-(

Like TK said-- I'm glad that I grew up when I did and have managed to see hundreds of concerts over the decades because I feel I have most likely seen the last of my shows. I just will NOT spend hundreds of dollars to see one show.

Again, this is just me and what do I know?

Brooke
05-10-2013, 10:32 AM
I agree with you TBF. They can try to justify it all they (the artists) want, but it's a huge rip off.

Like you, I don't need all the huge production they try to do these days. I just want to see the band and hear the music. It's all gotten way out of hand.

My husband says these rich artists are broke like most people only at a higher level. Everyone learns to live with what they have. They just have more and have to continue to make the kind of money they do to continue living like they do. It's the snowball effect! KWIM?

Topkat
05-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Thank You TBF, You are 100% correct. These artists got rich off of US....the people who supported them all these years, by buying cds, records, merchandise, & concert tickets...They need to stop being so greedy!
They made tons of money...If you can't do a tour for a reasonable ticket price, then cut some things back....I don't need the fancy pyrotechnics or other stuff either. Yes, your right, tickets should not be a mortgage payment!

Things now are TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL

VAisForEagleLovers
05-10-2013, 12:30 PM
While I could do without all the 'big show' extras as well, I'm afraid we're in a minority. So many that are younger than us have come to expect it. Most acts are expected to have choreographed dancers these days. Ick.

Anyway, the problem goes far beyond artists. I went out and did this just for fun, you all have learned (the hard way) of my love for hockey.

Here are the ticket prices for our guys at the Verizon Center in July:
Main Concourse: $104.15 or $211.90
Floor Seating: $211.90
Club Concourse: $104.15 or $211.90
Upper Concourse: $66.85 or $104.15

Taylor Swift at the Verizon Center:
Main Concourse: $113.60
Floor Seating: $113.60
Club Concourse: $113.60
Upper Concourse: $44.65 or $113.60

Here are the single game prices for the Washington Capitals hockey team:
Acela Club (premium seating at the top of the venue): $305.35 or $444.60 + membership fees.
Standing Room (just below the upper concourse on the ends): $220.55
Club Concourse: $135.75 or $185.80
Upper Concourse: $75.50 or $126.55

Obviously, this isn't comparing apples to apples, sports teams need to pay athletes. Then again, this doesn't count where the real money comes in, TV revenues. I can't imagine paying these prices and going and seeing my team lose. Like with popular bands, to actually get a good seat you need to buy a ticket with an inflated price from StubHub or Ticketmaster's Ticket Exchange.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-10-2013, 01:06 PM
I don't know how reputable this source is, but here's an interesting article.

http://www.wisebread.com/how-much-a-breakdown-of-concert-ticket-prices

I also found an interesting forum where a guy in the business posted this back in 2008:

Seems like a lot of money.
It ain't.

I just got a quote from Rock-it Cargo for SINGLE semi, driver, fuel, lodging for a twelve city U.S. tour.
The price: $64K
That is one semi truck.

An arena p.a. rig can easily cost $15K per night.
A lighting rig will cost more than that.
There is the stage to pay for in arenas.
Local union hands to set stage and work the show (almost 100% of the time.)
Local riggers (always required.)
Price per rigging point ($200, to $500 depending on venue) there can easily be thirty, forty points and I have seen as many as 92 points (Bette Midler '06.)
Power Service charges (easily $1 per amp, but usually more)
Teamsters to un-load trucks (a union requirement in many cities and venues.)
Catering

Tour crew busses and fuel.
Tour crew lodging.
Air fares.
Salaries.

Insurance (a BIG factor.)

I have known members of major tour acts (BIG acts) and they had tours that DID NOT break even.

Did you know that if you record ANYTHING in a union hall there is an AUTOMATIC $4K fee?
Always. 100% of the time.
They don't even assist except to tie in power.
Plus, they won't even tie your power in unless this fee is paid.
If you hired a generator they would either cut your cables (accidently) or not allow the show to be set-up.
Remember that the management of the halls are most likely union as well.

Touring is EXTREMELY expensive.
Unless the act and label have deep pockets they have to borrow start up money for a tour.
There is interest on that.

The p.a. and lighting has to be rented prior to a paying show for tech rehearsals.
There is at least an entire week of production rental (sound, lighting, stage) and associated salaries before any shows bring in revenue.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Another quote from the same forum. They seem to be a techie haven for those in the business. Session musicians, tour musicians, songwriters, mixers, mastering and remastering, those who build studios and excel in acoustics, and the use of songs on TV and film. This quote is also from 2008. The forum name is Gearslutz.

I have been around large tours for the last 12 years of my life and can give a ballpark estimate of some of the costs;

Tour buses $1,000 per day the bus is out (not per show)Headliners like nice buses
*these tours usually don't go out with less than 6 buses, I did a Reba show that had 13 on the road...how would you like to pay gas for that! sheeeeeezz
Gas- these buses are getting about 7 miles a gallon if you are lucky.....
Insurance- you have to insure all people on the road, and the artist(imagine having to pay for John Mayer's broken hand in the middle of a tour)

Musician's are getting between $1500 and $2500 per show
Per diems have to be paid to each person on the road with you @ $45 per day.
Road crew is needed to set up all your gear, and on a headliner tour, the headliner surely has a tech for each instrument( I have seen some have 2 guitar techs!)

So out of the previously mentioned $200,000-$300,000 estimated gaurantee, you first deduct about 15-20% for the booking agent. These folks go through CAA and William Morris, believe me, they are getting their cut.

Then deduct PA, Lights, etc....

Merch: the venues ALWAYS get 20-30% of the sales. That is why cd's are really expensive at shows. BTW- the Rolling Stones average 1 million dollars in gross merch sales PER NIGHT , this is not the norm for other bands of course.

So to say $100,000 per show for an expense estimate is not out of line. PLus, there is always a split on the profits. The promoters get the short end of the stick on that. I have seen a million dollar box office result in the promoter only walking away with $50,000 in their pocket after expenses and the split.......

Brooke
05-10-2013, 02:02 PM
VA, you've made a good case for them, but for me, they have pretty much priced themselves out of my ballpark. Not only the Eagles, all of the big name bands. My priorities lie elsewhere.

I never had the opportunity to see hardly any bands back in my hey day. I live too far away from a major venue and I never had the money back then even though tickets were cheap. In the last 10 years I have gotten to see quite a few bands/musicians that I wanted to see, so if I only get to see them once in my life, that will have to do. I just don't have the money to go around, but that's just me and my priorities.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-10-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure I intended to make a case for anyone, just presenting both sides of the picture. My personal opinion is that the higher prices is from a combination of things, and while artists' greed is part of it, they aren't the only ones. I remember all too well the articles in the local newspaper here a decade or so ago when the amphitheater close to my house opened, and how eager the county supervisors were to tack on a bunch of taxes that weren't percentage based, but flat 'fees' in order to pay for schools and other things that had nothing to do with concerts or even music. People who could afford the time and money to go to concerts deserved to have to pay the tax. 85% of the people who go to the concerts don't live in that county. They were able to keep taxes on country residents from being raised and they ran for reelection on those 'accomplishments'. That's just one small example of how going to concerts is viewed as a 'luxury' and taxed and charged accordingly all up and down the spectrum of the people making the money.

This is an article I remember reading a long time ago and it took a long time to put in the right search criteria to find it again! It's from 2009 and talks about summer amphitheaters and the risks run by promoters. It says the Eagles cancelled concerts in 2010? I know a date in Hershey was cancelled almost as soon as it was announced, but were there others?

Also of note:

If the trend continues, it could spell trouble for the entire music industry, which has come to rely on income from touring to take the place of diminished sales from recorded music. But for the major promoters who are heavily invested in the machinery of touring, the threat is especially acute.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128473078

This one talks mostly about mid-level artists and why it might make more sense to sell out a 3,000 seat theater than sell 10,000 at a 18,000 seat venue.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011/04/07/134851302/the-concert-ticket-food-chain-where-your-money-goes

prayfordaylight
05-13-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't have much to add to the conversation. I hate ticket prices too but it's just what you have to do to see most artists nowadays. I try to limit myself to $150 max unless it's something special (aka front few rows or super close field seats at a stadium show). The price is definitely why I've never seen The Eagles in concert still.

I really wish more venues would implement the "Pick your seat" option on Ticketmaster. I've only gotten to do it for a handful of shows and I like it. I know there are good upper deck seats at arenas that are cheaper and better than rear floor seats so if I can get those, sometimes I will.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-13-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't have much to add to the conversation. I hate ticket prices too but it's just what you have to do to see most artists nowadays. I try to limit myself to $150 max unless it's something special (aka front few rows or super close field seats at a stadium show). The price is definitely why I've never seen The Eagles in concert still.

I really wish more venues would implement the "Pick your seat" option on Ticketmaster. I've only gotten to do it for a handful of shows and I like it. I know there are good upper deck seats at arenas that are cheaper and better than rear floor seats so if I can get those, sometimes I will.

Not to mention that their idea of 'best available' isn't necessarily my idea!

Topkat
05-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Really..."best available" is pretty much a joke!:hilarious:

zeldabjr
05-13-2013, 09:20 PM
ticket buying gives me the hives...I hate it...don't understand it...or the pricing...presale this and that...can only buy if you have Amex...need a code...such a pain in the a..then you still don't get a good seat when it seems you've done all you can do...very stressful...I would pay someone to do it for me if I could!

WalshFan88
05-14-2013, 12:05 AM
I was going to see the Stones in Chicago. Keyword WAS. Looked up floor tickets. That's simply ridiculous... I agree, it makes the Eagles look cheap.

zeldabjr
05-14-2013, 02:09 AM
I was going to see the Stones in Chicago. Keyword WAS. Looked up floor tickets. That's simply ridiculous... I agree, it makes the Eagles look cheap.

How much dare I ask?

NYC Fan
05-14-2013, 06:59 AM
How much dare I ask?

Their tickets are outrageously priced.

However, if you just want to get in the door, this is a good option. You can be in the rafters, or in the front, depending on how lucky you are. They have been dropping these in the day or so before the shows and you can sign up to be notified if tickets become available.

https://www.facebook.com/therollingstones/app_208195102528120

Topkat
05-14-2013, 10:50 AM

Never say Eagles tickets are "cheap"....That's all Irving has to hear & the prices will go UP EVEN HIGHER. Eagles tickets aren't cheap.That's for sure!
If the Stones have to lower their prices, it means they are just so totally out of control, which they are.

prayfordaylight
05-14-2013, 12:25 PM

Seriously. I looked for DC too and they wanted $200 for the very rafters.

They are doing a limited $85 drop for certain cities: http://www.rollingstones.com/85-dollar-tickets/

I registered for Philly but not holding my breath.

Brooke
05-14-2013, 02:47 PM
I saw that they were doing that and thought it was pretty cool! My city isn't listed though. :sad:

WalshFan88
05-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Never say Eagles tickets are "cheap"....That's all Irving has to hear & the prices will go UP EVEN HIGHER. Eagles tickets aren't cheap.That's for sure!
If the Stones have to lower their prices, it means they are just so totally out of control, which they are.

You didn't understand what I was saying. I said in comparison, Eagles tickets look cheap. Not that they are... The Stones' prices make Eagles prices look cheap. Which they obviously do. That's what I meant. It's also been said in another thread (the same comparison).

Topkat
05-16-2013, 10:44 PM
You didn't understand what I was saying. I said in comparison, Eagles tickets look cheap. Not that they are... The Stones' prices make Eagles prices look cheap. Which they obviously do. That's what I meant. It's also been said in another thread (the same comparison).

Austin, I understood exactly what you were saying, but even to hear "cheap" & "Eagles" in the same sentence would give Irving a heart attack.
Obviously it was a joke, Austin!:hilarious:

NYC Fan
06-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Here's an interesting article from the NY Times magazine today. I can't say I agree that tickets are underpriced, but it does provide some good insight as to why prices have gone up so much in recent years. So frustrating for a fan of average means to try to go to big name concerts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/magazine/the-secret-science-of-scalping-tickets.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Tiffanny Twisted
06-09-2013, 10:26 AM
goes with the article I read about kid rock in the friday june 7th wall street journal about the economics of tourning.
a great article and it really should give other artists something to think about

VAisForEagleLovers
06-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Wow, this is sure to create some comments, but I agree, of course. The cheaper the ticket, the more competition there is to buy, and so the only hope a person has of getting a good ticket is through StubHub. Pay the same price either way, it's just that with scalping the money goes to a corporation and some random person's pocket and not the artist's. I don't want to pay inflated prices, but if I do, I much prefer the $$ go to the artists.

But by leaving money on the table, Springsteen and his ilk might be doing their fans an inadvertent disservice. Jared Smith, the president of Ticketmaster North America, told me that the artists who charge the least tend to see the most scalping. Springsteen and others have angrily denounced scalping at their shows, but their prices are guaranteeing the very existence of that secondary market, which has become ever more sophisticated over the years. Many scalpers now use computer programs to monopolize ticket buying when seats go on sale, which forces many fans to buy from resellers. One of the surest ways to eliminate scalping, Smith told me, is to charge a more accurate price in the first place.

The above is what VIP and Official Platinum is trying to do. VIP is non-transerable for any reason and non-refundable after 24 hours. What amazes me is that TM sells their Official Platinum on StubHub for hundreds of dollars more. Same seats. $220 face value, $425 on Official Platinum, $625 on StubHub. They wouldn't do that if people weren't buying them, but some people just assume good seats are gone and go to StubHub first.

If people really want to stop this, instead of complaining about it, write your state reps and senators, write to your US Reps and Senators. Get the laws changed. There will still be scalping, but the industry would take a serious hit.

TimothyBFan
06-10-2013, 08:41 AM
It all just makes my head hurt. :brickwall:

I loved reading the comments after the article also. People are disgusted but still pay the prices.

Topkat
06-12-2013, 03:53 PM
I figured if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, so last year I bought Live Nation stock when Irving joined on....Well, Irving is gone for awhile now, but the stock is up 74% in the past 12 months...Now I wish I bought more of it!:lol:

tjrrockandrollmaster
06-14-2013, 01:39 AM
In 1994, Pink Floyd had the cheapest ticket prices and outsold The Eagles and Stones in tickets but The Rolling Stones had to charge double of what Floyd were charging. Even the late Rick Wright took shots at The Eagles and Stones "who wants to pay $100 for nostalgia whereas we have new material and music to play plus a new album".

Strange that David Gilmour turned down $300 million for a Pink Floyd reunion. Genesis lost money on their reunion in 2007 (they don't need it).

I've seen in last four years Judas Priest ($70), Roger Waters play The Wall ($100 a piece in 201 and $80 for 2012 performance) and The Who was $50.

I've retired from concert going as my Autism has manifested itself in recent months and bright lights and noise bothers me.

Topkat
06-17-2013, 10:24 AM
In 1994, Pink Floyd had the cheapest ticket prices and outsold The Eagles and Stones in tickets but The Rolling Stones had to charge double of what Floyd were charging. Even the late Rick Wright took shots at The Eagles and Stones "who wants to pay $100 for nostalgia whereas we have new material and music to play plus a new album".

Strange that David Gilmour turned down $300 million for a Pink Floyd reunion. Genesis lost money on their reunion in 2007 (they don't need it).

I've seen in last four years Judas Priest ($70), Roger Waters play The Wall ($100 a piece in 201 and $80 for 2012 performance) and The Who was $50.

I've retired from concert going as my Autism has manifested itself in recent months and bright lights and noise bothers me.

Well, to be fair, the prices you are describing really depends on the seats you are getting & the venue... When I saw the Who in Dec, there were no $50. seats. They also a VIP package with seats $500-$900.
All seats in the orchestra were over $200, & some went in the thousands.
I paid over $100. to sit on the first level up.
My friend saw Roger Waters 2012 & seats were $125. & they were in the upper level at Yankee Stadium.