PDA

View Full Version : Previously Unheard Demos of Nightingale and Get Up Kate on Bill Halverson website!

AEW21
05-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Came across this in a random search, from "legendary" producer Bill Halverson's website. I apologize if this is old news to you all... Apparently he worked with Glenn and the guys after that first session with Glyn Johns in London. They recorded "Get Up Kate" (a Linda Ronstadt-less version) and "Nightengale." Apparently when Johns found out, he made Halverson destroy the tracks and recorded his own version of "Nightengale" with the band.

However, Halverson found out tapes of the two tracks and put them on the site. Fun to listen to--I prefer the rawness of the live "Get Up Kate" with Linda, but I enjot the bluesy, Southern flair of this one. (And I had no idea it was about James Taylor's younger sister, Kate--I wonder if she and Glenn had a fling?!). And I sorta prefer this version of "Nightingale"--it's a bit more crisp, vocally.

Wih there was a way to download them...

Bill Halverson-Unreleased Eagles/Glenn Frey (http://www.billhalverson.com/heider.html)

sodascouts
05-16-2013, 01:15 AM
These are freaking AWESOME!!! They deserve their own thread and I'm making it now!

(And no I haven't heard them before lol)

Isn't it amazing how "new" things keep popping up, even after you think you've heard it all?

TimothyBFan
05-16-2013, 07:18 AM
OMG!! That was awesome!!!! Thank you AEW21 for finding those!! :yay:

Outlawman13
05-16-2013, 07:34 AM
That is too awesome!!

wasl89
05-16-2013, 08:43 AM
That's just awesome! This made my day a bit better :-)

BBKron
05-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Wow! These are great! I just LOVE hearing alternate unreleased tracks and versions like this. Much thanks for finding these AEW21 and steering us over to this site (The Joni Mitchell tracks are awesome, too), and certainly thanks to Bill Halverson for finding and posting these lost gems. These will be cherished.

I just wish the band themselves were more interested in finding and making available other 'lost' recordings from their earlier days. I know that Glenn and Don have maintained that there just isn't anything to release, but I think that is nonsense. I'm sure that there are old, unreleased songs, bits, alternate takes and recordings that would be a goldmine to fans such as us here. I just don't think that Don and Glenn have any interest in releasing any of that stuff, probably because they don't think it is any good or worthy of being released. Although it is very likely that there might not be anything that is up to their high standards that they want to see released, I'm sure there is a lot more unreleased studio stuff out there that may never be heard. Even if not that high quality, real fans want to hear all that went on in those recording sessions.

What about all the tracks from the abandoned Glyn Johns London sessions for On The Border (I'm sure someone has those somewhere). They recorded enough for a whole album there, including several songs that were ultimately scrapped (Like Bernie's 'Georgia Peach' and Randy's 'Wait and See', and who knows what else?) as well as different versions of songs that did make the album (Like 'Ol '55', 'Good Day in Hell', and 'James Dean'). We know these songs existed because they were playing them at live shows in November 1973, right after their London sessions, which was well before they returned to the studio in 1974 with Bill Szymczyk to 're-do' the album. The only tracks from the Johns sessions that were used for the album were 'Best of My Love' and 'You Never Cry Like a Lover'. All the rest were scrapped. Would LOVE for those tapes to be made available sometime or somewhere (I bet Johns still has copies of them). Maybe some day. And who knows what else might be out there?

Even if the stuff is not of high enough quality for commercial release as an official Eagles rarities album or whatever, perhaps at some point it could be distributed as mp3's to fan sites such as this, who would really appreciate any and all tracks, songs, and insights into the recording process of this great band.

Anyway, I appreciate any bits we can get so these tracks are great finds. And here's hoping that we can get many more of these kinds of recording studio gems as time goes by. Hmm, an album of Eagles outtakes, rarities, etc. might be a great follow-up to the whole 'History of the Eagles' Dvd, tour, etc. We can only hope.

OutlawManNJ
05-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Great Find! Even though Nightingale is a song I never really liked and always thought of as filler. But I respect it a little more now, that I know it was fought for.

But amazing story. Amazing how some stuff never makes the Books/bios/documentaries.

Now a question, who owns the rights to this song? The producer the band? If its te band, how is he allowed to post them and share them?

PS:

And BB about alternate takes. The Doors released not long ago a whole album of the LA WOMAN LP just with Aleternate takes of all the tracks...not only that, even the cover was made to look like how the designers were working on it half way through with notes and stuff. So yeah, I imagine tere has to be alternate takes of stuff. Especially wit the latter albums when they spent much longer in the studio. LA WOMAN for example was the Doors last album with Jim Morrison alive.

ThePerfectBeast
05-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Nice find , thanks for sharing.Hope we get to hear all this "lost" stuff someday :)

Brooke
05-16-2013, 11:35 AM
AEW, what a great find! That is just awesome! Thanks so much for finding this and posting it! :thumbsup:

I agree with BBK. There's probably more stuff out there but the guys just don't think it's good enough to worry with.

Scarlet Sun
05-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Wow! These are great! I just LOVE hearing alternate unreleased tracks and versions like this. Much thanks for finding these AEW21 and steering us over to this site (The Joni Mitchell tracks are awesome, too), and certainly thanks to Bill Halverson for finding and posting these lost gems. These will be cherished.

I just wish the band themselves were more interested in finding and making available other 'lost' recordings from their earlier days. I know that Glenn and Don have maintained that there just isn't anything to release, but I think that is nonsense. I'm sure that there are old, unreleased songs, bits, alternate takes and recordings that would be a goldmine to fans such as us here. I just don't think that Don and Glenn have any interest in releasing any of that stuff, probably because they don't think it is any good or worthy of being released. Although it is very likely that there might not be anything that is up to their high standards that they want to see released, I'm sure there is a lot more unreleased studio stuff out there that may never be heard. Even if not that high quality, real fans want to hear all that went on in those recording sessions.

What about all the tracks from the abandoned Glyn Johns London sessions for On The Border (I'm sure someone has those somewhere). They recorded enough for a whole album there, including several songs that were ultimately scrapped (Like Bernie's 'Georgia Peach' and Randy's 'Wait and See', and who knows what else?) as well as different versions of songs that did make the album (Like 'Ol '55', 'Good Day in Hell', and 'James Dean'). We know these songs existed because they were playing them at live shows in November 1973, right after their London sessions, which was well before they returned to the studio in 1974 with Bill Szymczyk to 're-do' the album. The only tracks from the Johns sessions that were used for the album were 'Best of My Love' and 'You Never Cry Like a Lover'. All the rest were scrapped. Would LOVE for those tapes to be made available sometime or somewhere (I bet Johns still has copies of them). Maybe some day. And who knows what else might be out there?

Even if the stuff is not of high enough quality for commercial release as an official Eagles rarities album or whatever, perhaps at some point it could be distributed as mp3's to fan sites such as this, who would really appreciate any and all tracks, songs, and insights into the recording process of this great band.

Anyway, I appreciate any bits we can get so these tracks are great finds. And here's hoping that we can get many more of these kinds of recording studio gems as time goes by. Hmm, an album of Eagles outtakes, rarities, etc. might be a great follow-up to the whole 'History of the Eagles' Dvd, tour, etc. We can only hope.

there is a lot of truth here

Houston Debutante
05-16-2013, 01:55 PM
These are terrific, thank you for this find!

AEW21
05-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Aww, I'm all so glad you got a kick out of them. I thought for sure I was late to the game in posting them, so happy they were new to everyone else, too.

You'd think there would be oodles of outtakes and alt. takes of songs from their recording sessions, but knowing Glenn and Don's prefectionist tendencies, maybe anything that wasn't up to snuff was destroyed on the spot? Though, you'd think if Bill Szymczyk has those tapes of banter between songs and recording sessions yet, he might have "lost" songs and things in his archives, too...

Scarlet Sun
05-16-2013, 04:01 PM
You'd think there would be oodles of outtakes and alt. takes of songs from their recording sessions, but knowing Glenn and Don's prefectionist tendencies, maybe anything that wasn't up to snuff was destroyed on the spot?
No . . .

sodascouts
05-16-2013, 04:14 PM
There's some outtakes and rough cuts circulating in the bootleg communities but not very many of them. I know there must be more out there.

Houston Baby
05-16-2013, 07:54 PM
I LOVE both of these songs! Thank you so much AEW21 for posting these. Our guys sound so young! AMAZING find! Made my day too. I played these 2 songs all day at work! :grooving:

Glennhoney
05-16-2013, 08:37 PM
OMG..love them...any way we can download them???

VAisForEagleLovers
05-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Great find!! Loved listening to them! Thanks!

GlennLover
05-17-2013, 01:03 PM

I wish we could! I can't play them on my iPad. I guess my crappy old Playbook was good for something, but I'd sure like a permanent copy of these songs.

Loved this version of GUK, although I love the others too.

I never thought that it sounded like Don on the Eagles version of "Nightingale" (although I don't know who I thought it was, LOL). I think his voice has a bit more rasp in it on the demo & sounds more like he usually does.

Outlawman13
05-17-2013, 01:21 PM
OHH I would love to find more those unreleased songs as well. I love Don's voice on Nightingale.

wasl89
05-17-2013, 01:59 PM

There is a way to download them, not sure if I'm allowed to tell....

cmurf
05-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Thank you for posting this! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE young-Glenn's voice:inlove:

Ive always been a dreamer
05-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks from me too for finding this, AEW! Wow! These are so awesome!!! What can I say, I also love it when our members come up with these kinds of 'never before heard' gems.

Grey Sadler
05-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Yes, thank you AEW21! :thumbsup:

Nice, clear version of GUK...and Nightingale, wow...this is a totally different turn...hmm...now I have to play the album version and compare the bass lines :lol:

Ive always been a dreamer
05-17-2013, 09:28 PM
One other thing I forgot to mention - I had no idea Glenn wrote the song for James Taylor's sister. Very interesting - I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I'll bet they had a fling. I mean young guys just don't go around writing songs for just any ole girl, now do they? ;-)

sodascouts
05-17-2013, 11:02 PM
That song has some dirty lyrics... if I were her (or James) I wouldn't have been thrilled with the whole "do the dog/squeeze/please" verse.

Houston Baby
05-17-2013, 11:51 PM
OK - I was wondering if I was hearing those lyrics correctly sodascouts :blush:

Houston Baby
05-17-2013, 11:53 PM
BUT I still love Glenn's voice on that song!! ;-)

Elizasong
05-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Loved these songs!! Yes the GUK lyrics are risque. I'm sure there was a fling.

I didn't know about Nightingale until I saw the DOC and I was wondering what that song was.

Thanks.

cbecrad
05-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Those were very cool! Thanks for sharing.

sodascouts
05-19-2013, 05:15 PM
It's a cute song otherwise - very energetic. Those lyrics do make me cringe, though!

Regardless this is an FABULOUS find!!

Houston Debutante
05-20-2013, 11:52 AM
The whole Nightingale story was interesting ~ how badly they wanted to record it and how Johns wasn't going to until they did it with someone else. Even recording it with someone else didn't get him interested in Get Up Kate though.

Scarlet Sun
05-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Another version of the story, as related on the In The Studio radio show featuring the Eagles' first album, had David Geffen insisting the song be recorded because he felt Don Henley had to have more than one lead vocal on the album

sodascouts
05-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Smart guy!

Thirsty&Hot
05-20-2013, 11:37 PM
Wowow! groovy!!! :partytime:

Thanks for sharing! so cool to find gems like this!

and yes Get Up Kate sure does have some naughty lyrics!

But I know you do the dog and you squeeze and you please
So let your soul go and do it down on your knees
And I say, get up, Kate, and do it to 'em all night long :lightsaber:

While I don't mind them, I could see how it might be embarrassing for Kate!

There is a way to download them, not sure if I'm allowed to tell....

Is was allowed to tell??!

Houston Debutante
05-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Another version of the story, as related on the In The Studio radio show featuring the Eagles' first album, had David Geffen insisting the song be recorded because he felt Don Henley had to have more than one lead vocal on the album

He knew a good thing when he heard it.

AEW21
05-22-2013, 11:18 PM
It's a cute song otherwise - very energetic. Those lyrics do make me cringe, though!

Regardless this is an FABULOUS find!!

I've always been a lil' confused on the intent of "Get Up Kate." On one hand, he seems to be encouraging "Kate" to express herself and take control of the situation and "get down to business," so to speak. On the other hand, he seems to be condemning her, and the people who watch her, for exploiting her emotions and feelings on stage ("people see the pain and the people clap their hands..."). It's like you either want her on stage to experience her "good release," or you don't--you can't have it both ways, Glenn! Let Kate get up, dammit. :)

I'm pretty sure Kate Taylor was part of some folk-rock group at that time, so I don't know if he was trying to equate her laying herelf bare on-stage, emotionally, with prostituting herself, or what, but it's a bit of a bipolar song. At times I think he's encouraging her to use her feminine wiles to make her way in the world; other times I think it's a veiled putdown of her exploiting her emotions to make money, that she's allowing herself to be taken advantage of...? Maybe it's both.

The song has such a bluesy drive to it--it's fun!--but the lyrics are pretty misogynistic. In the 70s, female singer-songwriters were just beginning to realize they could be sexual and vulnerable on stage and still be in control of their craft and of their image--I hope Linda schooled him on his shortsighted vision of Kate's career path! ;) (I still love the version of it on her record, though--their voices mesh well together, no matter what the lyrics!)

ETA:
Kate Taylor in 1971, with producer Peter Asher:
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/large_lightbox/hash/b1/8c/1357498972_3548_Kate.jpg
SOURCE (http://www.mvgazette.com/news/2012/08/02/peter-asher-sister-kate-reunite-live-memoir-performance)