PDA

View Full Version : Favourite moments in Eagles songs

Troubadour
05-25-2013, 12:12 PM
I was just wondering if there are any particular moments that you really love in Eagles songs (I'm sure there are lots!) It could be a particular phrasing, an instrumental section or harmonies that you always listen out for... This came into my mind yesterday when I was thinking about how much I love the "my oh my, you sure know how to arrange things" line in Lyin' Eyes. Just the build-up of vocals/harmonies in that part gives me goosebumps. I always look forward to that bit.

Which song parts do you always listen out for and what is it you like about them?

Tiffanny Twisted
05-25-2013, 12:32 PM
first thing that came to mind was "take it away Joe" in dirty laundry from LFM...like ya know some good guitar solo is coming....just anticipation.

Hearing the LFM edition of "heart ache tonight" makes me smile cause GF is just so into what he is doing .....Jammin....

I think opening guitar licks on" boys of summer" just a great song...makes me think of my beach...which I love so much...

Hotel CAlifornia....the guitar parts just takes me to a higher place everytime...

victim of love ...the great henley vocals..so raw...(how DF ever could think he should have sung it is beyond me)

I love love love the song DH sang by garth brooks.... just gives me goose bumps....

already gone...."you have to eat your lunch all by yourself"...

James Dean..... just love that rock out song....

JMO

VAisForEagleLovers
05-25-2013, 12:32 PM
For me, the transition from the chorus to the second verse in One Of These Nights is pure musical genius. I love it and tend to listen to it over and over. If there are people in the room and talking, I make them be quiet when that part is coming up.

TimothyBFan
05-25-2013, 12:35 PM
That is also one of my favorites, Troub. I've always loved that Lyin' Eyes line.

As many of you here know, one of my faves is in Secular Praise when Timothy sings "Don't go to church, but I feel the weight. Some people think I'm shy. Still I hope to shake the hand of faint, once before I die." That line I've loved from the first time I heard it, standing in front of him in Chicago and hearing him perform it. It just touched me because he could of written that about me. Then one evening, lying in the tanning bed with my head phones on, I heard it again and it reduced me to tears. I laid there and cried.

cbecrad
05-25-2013, 02:12 PM
The Lyin' Eyes line is also one of my faves.

Also I LOVE the part in the second chorus of One of These Nights..."in between the wrong and the right...whoah whoah whoah...". So R&B.

Troubadour
05-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Oh yeah - One of These Nights has a million moments I love! Don's high notes at the end are just incredible. I love it when he sings "so dark and cold and lonely" and "I can feel you"... So hot and soulful!

I should also mention a part in Take It To The Limit that comes to mind - I absolutely love the way Randy sings "and when you're looking for your freedom" and the way the band harmonises on "nobody seems to care". It's beautiful and moves me every time.

zeldabjr
05-25-2013, 02:36 PM
I happen to be watching Farewell I right now...Heartache Tonight is on...my favorite part is when Glenn sings "we can beat around the bushes, we can get down to the bone...we can leave it in the parking lot but either way there's gonna be a heartache tonight....

Tiffanny Twisted
05-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Oh yeah baby ...heartache:hilarious:

zeldabjr
05-25-2013, 02:57 PM
in the beginning of Life in the Fast Lane...on Farewell I when Don says "are you with me so far"..."good"...I love that...but I don't think he says it in every version of it..

It's funny because some of my favorite music parts of songs have now become meshed with the visuals of seeing them live and watching DVDs...and I can't separate the two...I love the short bass part TBS does in LITFL Farewell I where he runs over and plays with Steuart...I picture him running over and playing that part right in front of us in AC when we were in the first row...I grin like a fool every time I hear that part now....and I love the guitar end of that song too....

Troubadour
05-25-2013, 03:00 PM
I also love Joe's second "oh yeah" in Life's Been Good (after everyone else sings the same words.) Don't know why, it's just cool!

zeldabjr
05-25-2013, 03:12 PM
I think I could name something in every single song that 'gets me'

cbecrad
05-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Yes I second that.

zeldabjr
05-25-2013, 04:37 PM
in One Of These Nights...the intro...and when Don says "we're gonna find out pretty mama what turns on your lights"...oh that gets me every time!!!

Prettymaid
05-25-2013, 05:04 PM
I have a couple of Don Henley vocal moments also, that really get to me.

The first one is in OOTN during the second verse;

One of these dreams
One of these lost and lonely dreams, now
We're going to find one,
Mmmm, one that really screams.

I love it when he, like, sucks air through his teeth and them says Mmmm! So sexy, like he's imagining it as he's singing it! I've always loved that.

In the same vein, in HC, after he sings,

Her mind is tiffany twisted
She got the Mercedes Benz

and he grunts, ooh, I love that grunt! I love the raw emotion he puts into those two examples.

Troubadour
05-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Yup - those moments are smoking hot! That intake of breath during OOTN kills me. :faint:

I really love the build up to the chorus in New Kid In Town. The harmonies are amazing and I love how the last lines before the chorus sound more powerful (eg: "it's those restless hearts that never mend...") I also love the "ohh" that comes after that, too. Funny how it's the little touches or riffs that we love. I wonder how many of those are improvised? They must have a real perception of what will work well in the moment.

Houston Baby
05-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Wonderful idea for a thread Troub!

And I'm with Z about naming a favorite moment in each song. So here's a few of mine:

The start of Hotel California freezes me every time! It's like my life stops.

And like TT, the opening of Boys of Summer just makes me smile every time! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that song!

Already Gone - The line "you can see the stars & still not see the light - that's right" And I ALWAYS wait for the end when Glenn sings "All right - nighty night" :) Too cute!

Love the chorus in Heartache Tonight. They are rockin':band:

Hearing the opening riffs in Life in the Fast Lane makes my heart rate jump!

And my #1 favorite moment in our guys' songs - Drum roll Please :drummer:

It's when Don sings "in Houston Baby" on The Long Run. Like y'all wouldn't have been able to figure that out :hilarious:

Glennhoney
05-25-2013, 08:13 PM
"nighty-night'...in Already Gone...so darn cute..

Troubadour
05-25-2013, 08:19 PM
I totally agree with "all right - nighty night". Love it!

You listed some great moments, HB. Your mention of The Long Run reminded me of the end where Don is kind of grooving and riffing, and he sings "just a little bit faster now"... He is sooo cute when he does that live! It makes me smile when I hear it on the record, too.

zeldabjr
05-25-2013, 09:23 PM
In "I Can't Tell You Why"...the intro with Glenn on that keyboard..can't remember what it's called...and when Timothy sings I can't tell you why...no baby...then the next time he says no-o-o-o....:inlove:

Shadowland07
05-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Don's drum fills at the end of "New Kid in Town"

The "Desperado" part of "Doolin Dalton/Desperado Reprise"

Glenn's verse in "Desperado"

Randy rockin out on the bass on "Outlaw Man"

Glenn and Felder's dueling solos on "Already Gone"

Glenn's solo on "I Can't Tell You Why"

Prettymaid
05-25-2013, 09:29 PM
ICTYW is one of my favorite Eagles songs. I love the final guitar solo. It's so smooth and silky and just like Timothy, my eyes close and my head rolls back on my neck...very sexy solo.

Tiffanny Twisted
05-25-2013, 09:36 PM
I have a couple of Don Henley vocal moments also, that really get to me.

The first one is in OOTN during the second verse;

One of these dreams
One of these lost and lonely dreams, now
We're going to find one,
Mmmm, one that really screams.

I love it when he, like, sucks air through his teeth and them says Mmmm! So sexy, like he's imagining it as he's singing it! I've always loved that.

In the same vein, in HC, after he sings,

Her mind is tiffany twisted
She got the Mercedes Benz

and he grunts, ooh, I love that grunt! I love the raw emotion he puts into those two examples.
Ok now ya know why I am tiffanny twisted lol

Prettymaid
05-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Funny how it's the little touches or riffs that we love. I wonder how many of those are improvised? They must have a real perception of what will work well in the moment.

I've thought about this before - not just with Eagles songs but all songs. Usually it's the way a phrase is sung, or something that sounds like an ad lib that catches my ear. I'm not sure it's an artist's perception of what will work. I think most of the time they have no idea what we, the listener will pick up on, and it's just plain luck!

Glennhoney
05-25-2013, 10:02 PM
..every night when the sun goes down....great, great song...

cbecrad
05-25-2013, 10:22 PM
I totally agree with all you've mentioned. Especially the "nighty-night", "debutantes in Houston" and guitar solo in ICTYW. All some of my favorite moments.
Also can't forget the amazing bass intro to OOTN.
I also love the intro to After the Thrill is Gone and the line "so you keep on singing for the sake of a song".
New Kid..."he's holding her and you're still around..oh my my...".
Last Resort..."and Jesus, people bought 'em". Actually that whole song gets to me. By the end I'm ready to cry.

MaryCalifornia
05-25-2013, 10:24 PM
"I like the way your sparkling earrings lay..." or "sway" or however he sings it.

I also like Don and Glenn in the background of ICTYW "...keep your head, little girl..." They really pushed the 70's funk frontier on that song - love it.

Tiffanny Twisted
05-25-2013, 11:10 PM
When glenn and don sing.......tell me what do I with my heart when I'm still loving you. Gets me everytime. Just how they sing it with such emotion.

Freypower
05-26-2013, 12:23 AM
What a great topic. I haven't got much time here today so I will just start with these & come back later on. There was one solo song mentioned. Perhaps we could have separate topics for those.

Anyway my two moments for now are:

'Oh my my' and 'WHOO WHOO'! I don't think I have to explain those, do I?

Skpx
05-26-2013, 12:24 AM
I have 3 ---

1 - When Glenn sings "and I want to sleep with you in the desert tonight with a billion stars all around" --- every time I hear that line, I imagine being in the back of an old 55 chevy truck looking up at the sky... (of course this vision/dream involves Glenn too) --- Have been having this same daydream since I first heard the song in the 10th grade... (wish we could go back to those days!)

2 - When Don sings "even if you don't love me anymore" .... how how could someone stop loving that man???

3 - When Don sings "I know what's been on your mind... your afraid it's all been wasted time'....

zeldabjr
05-26-2013, 02:32 AM
Welcome to the Border Skpx..hope you enjoy it here...where are you from?

Witchy Woman
05-26-2013, 07:17 PM
I love the end of Pretty Maids All In A Row when they're doing the "Ooooohs" and then Joe joins in. The blend of the voices together there is goose bump inducing.

Freypower
05-26-2013, 07:23 PM
I love Don's entire lead vocal in the song LROOE, particularly the 'ghost of Caesar' verse. It's so passionate. I obviously love the parts where Glenn sings with him.

I love my 'Shakespearean' lines. 'Let's kill all the lawyers' sung by Don with Glenn echoing him, and 'so hungry & so lean' sung by Glenn who is not necessarily referring to James Dean here if you get my drift.

The slide guitar at the start of Good Day In Hell; the song is as close as the band got to sounding like the Rolling Stones.

The harmonies in Centre Of The Universe which are slightly reminiscent of the Beatles' magnificent Because.

Somebody; it is an absolute cracker of a vocal performance. This includes the harmonies.

Prettymaid
05-26-2013, 07:41 PM
The harmonies in Centre Of The Universe which are slightly reminiscent of the Beatles' magnificent Because.

I've never considered this before, but yes, I can hear the similarities, especially the 'Ahhhh, ahhhhhh, ahhhhhhh.'

cbecrad
05-26-2013, 08:48 PM
I've never considered this before, but yes, I can hear the similarities, especially the 'Ahhhh, ahhhhhh, ahhhhhhh.'

Me neither, good call!

sad-cafe
05-26-2013, 09:16 PM
I love Don moaning Umm Shoes in Those Shoes.

We were listening to The Last Resort yesterday. Hubby was like which one is that? He has a great distinctive voice. :)

His current favorite Moment in the Eagles is Hole in the World. Says it can mean a LOT of things. Until we learn to love one another. He loves that line.

desperado
05-27-2013, 12:03 AM
in the song "already gone" I love the verse:

So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

on the Hell Freezes Over version of Desperado, I love how the audience
cheers just at the right moment at the piano intro, and then quiets down before Don starts singing. I also love the line "it may be raining, but there's a rainbow above you"

also love on the intro to Tequila Sunrise on HFO when Glenn talks about the band not breaking up, but taking a 14 year vacation and the audience laughs.

I have more, have to think of what they are.

sodascouts
05-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Every time I try to reply to this thread I get overwhelmed because there are just so many! Really brings home how great the Eagles are.

zeldabjr
05-27-2013, 04:09 PM
the saxophone in You Belong To The City....especially the intro....love it!

sad-cafe
05-27-2013, 07:40 PM
we watched the History DVD today during dinner.

Currently, I am loving the harmony of "No More Walks in the Woods"

tried to find it on you-tube but have had no luck

Skpx
05-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Welcome to the Border Skpx..hope you enjoy it here...where are you from?

Thanks! Love knowing I am not the only obsessed fan out here. Lol...
I finally posted my "new Kid in Town". But for phx... And hating the summer already. Lol. :guitar:

EaglesKiwi
05-28-2013, 05:50 AM
A lot of my favourite parts don't have words - they're the "oooo-oooo" moments (and other vocal sounds!).

WDIDWMH: When Don sings "I'll love you til death do us part" (Glenn's wooo-ooo is stunning)

The breath sucking in OOTN, as well as the line "You've got desires, well I've got a few of my own!!"

LROOE - I love the sense of vertigo when Don goes from singing about the blackness of an endless night, galaxies unfolding, and new worlds being born - then "I'd give anything to be there in your arms tonight" feels so immediate and almost as though I'm physically dropping from the stars into his arms (wishful thinking!).

Already Gone - the "we never even know we have the key" line

Doolin Dalton Desperado Reprise - the harmonies on the Desperado part.

There are more...

Prettymaid
05-28-2013, 08:09 AM
I love a first four guitar chords on In The City! They perk me up and get me going. Love that song!

sodascouts
05-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Something I thought of yesterday when I heard it: the opening chords of "Take It Easy." Maybe it's because I know what a great song is about to follow, but it lifts my spirits every time I hear it.

My second fave part: I love it when he holds that "Saaavvve me" towards the end. Nice climactic moment!

Windeagle
05-29-2013, 10:24 AM
I have a few:

1. The harmony vocals on "My Man" give me chills every time.

2. When Glenn and Don sing together on "After the Thrill is Gone." Actually, the whole song is amazing, but that's my favorite part.

3. I get similar chills when Don and Glenn trade vocals at the end of WDIDWMH. So passionate and heartfelt.

3. Joe's guitar solo on LROOE. It reminds me of a fighter pilot coming in for a run. Someone above mentioned vertigo and when the vocal drops into the lead, yes, that description fits.

Prettymaid
05-29-2013, 02:34 PM
3. Joe's guitar solo on LROOE. It reminds me of a fighter pilot coming in for a run. Someone above mentioned vertigo and when the vocal drops into the lead, yes, that description fits.

That guitar solo is amazing!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-29-2013, 09:44 PM
When glenn and don sing.......tell me what do I with my heart when I'm still loving you. Gets me everytime. Just how they sing it with such emotion.

I definitely agree, TT. The whole song just slays me, but I do like that part above the others.

Topkat
05-30-2013, 12:50 PM
In Hotel California, I love when Don does that little grunt after the line, "She's got the Mercedes Benz"....I always listen for it at the concerts & he always does it, except the last time when I saw them in Nov. at the Beacon, he didn't do it, & I was upset:ziplip:

sad-cafe
05-30-2013, 01:10 PM
currently I am loving the harmony in No More Walk in the Woods

and Timothy B telling me I'm not ready for the rocking chair

Brooke
05-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Number one for me is the breath intake in One of These Nights. So very sexy!

Next is the grunt in Get Over It (with arm upraised like in the HFO video. He's so cute in that!)

cbecrad
05-30-2013, 01:43 PM
I've really been digging How Long lately and I just love the "b-b-b-bye bye baby" part at the end.

sad-cafe
05-30-2013, 02:29 PM
I've really been digging How Long lately and I just love the "b-b-b-bye bye baby" part at the end.

yes that is good

Prettymaid
05-30-2013, 06:46 PM
You can really appreciate how good of an arranger Glenn is when you compare the Eagles' How Long to JD Souther's version; not that JD's isn't enjoyable, but Glenn knows how to take a song and make the most of it with those Eagles' vocal harmonies. You know, in his DVD, Going Home, Jackson Browne says the same thing about Glenn and Take It Easy. He compliments Glenn's arranging talents by taking the chorus and using those harmonies to their full potential. Take it Eeeeaaaasy, take it eeeaaasy. Perfection!

WalshFan88
05-30-2013, 07:17 PM
For me right now it's those super-high notes in TITTL that Randy didn't want to do. They are SO great. Amazing song.

Prettymaid
05-30-2013, 07:38 PM
For me right now it's those super-high notes in TITTL that Randy didn't want to do. They are SO great. Amazing song.

They give me chills! I want to stand up and applaud him in my living room!

Slate CM
05-30-2013, 08:17 PM
"The clouds rolled in and hid that shore, now that glory train, it don't stop here no more. Now I look at the years gone by and wonder at the powers that be. I wonder why fortune smiles on some and let's the rest go free."

Harmonies, some great high notes and that last line is just really cool.

"She wasn't just another woman, and I couldn't keep from comin' on, it's been so long."

There is such a yearning to that line, plus it's just one of my favorite songs.

"Now the sun's comin' up, I'm ridin' with lady luck. Freeway cars and trucks."

Just the classic Eagles sound, and it reminds of being a kid and riding in the car with my dad. He always had the radio on, and remember hearing this one. My uncle was a musician in San Diego in the 70s, I think he said something about knowing the one of the writers of that one.

By the way, am I the only guy on here? :woah: I see a lots of references to ladies....

Freypower
05-30-2013, 08:18 PM
"The clouds rolled in and hid that shore, now that glory train, it don't stop here no more. Now I look at the years gone by and wonder at the powers that be. I wonder why fortune smiles on some and let's the rest go free."

"She wasn't just another woman, and I couldn't keep from comin' on, it's been so long."

Just the classic Eagles sound, and it reminds of being a kid and riding in the car with my dad. He always had the radio on, and remember hearing this one. My uncle was a musician in San Diego in the 70s, I think he said something about knowing the one of the writers of that one.

By the way, am I the only guy on here? :woah: I see a lots of references to ladies....

WalshFan88 who posted above is a guy. We have a few others.

Slate CM
05-30-2013, 08:24 PM
WalshFan88 who posted above is a guy. We have a few others.

OK, cool. Either way this is a very welcoming forum. :smile:

Prettymaid
05-30-2013, 08:26 PM

I agree that Ol 55 is the classic Eagles sound. Love the song!

Oh, and don't worry Slate - we don't bite! :grin:

Glennhoney
05-30-2013, 09:08 PM
I LOVE the piano in "WITW"....

Brooke
05-31-2013, 10:08 AM

Oh, yes, I love that too! It is just beautiful! That whole song just takes my breath away.

Slate, we like guys opinions most of the time! Post on! :lol:

Topkat
05-31-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm also lovin' the intro to "Life In the fast Lane" these days...I mean I always loved it!!:heart:

sad-cafe
05-31-2013, 11:51 AM
I'm also lovin' the intro to "Life In the fast Lane" these days...I mean I always loved it!!:heart:

Oh yea, after school, I ALWAYS turned it up really loud as I was leaving the parking lot.

I just "discovered" the BASS solo in LROOE at the very end. Last 15 seconds or so of the 10 minute song

Slate CM
05-31-2013, 12:59 PM
I agree that Ol 55 is the classic Eagles sound. Love the song!

Oh, and don't worry Slate - we don't bite! :grin:

Oh, yes, I love that too! It is just beautiful! That whole song just takes my breath away.

Slate, we like guys opinions most of the time! Post on! :lol:

:thumbsup: OK, thanks!

Troubadour
05-31-2013, 02:30 PM
I can't believe I haven't mentioned this yet, but Don's entire vocal on The Last Resort makes me swoon. It was that song (and Wasted Time) on HFO that really grabbed me at first. The way he sings, sitting on that stool alone, all vulnerable and husky... :fainting:

Sorry, got slightly off-track there! My point was that those high notes he does at the end ("kiss it goodbye") are INCREDIBLE and probably my favourite part of the song.

Freypower
05-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Oh yea, after school, I ALWAYS turned it up really loud as I was leaving the parking lot.

I just "discovered" the BASS solo in LROOE at the very end. Last 15 seconds or so of the 10 minute song

That is one of my favourite parts of the song too.

I haven't posted much but I do remember a part I like in Outlaw Man which is 'uh-don't you know me/I'm the man who won'. Quite.:heart:

wasl89
06-01-2013, 12:10 PM
I’ve got a few favorite moments in Eagles songs….

Take the Devil: after the second time ‘Help me not to let my feelings show no, no’ is being sang there’s a very nice guitar rhythm.
Tryin’: the intro of this song and the first sentence, ‘I'm just arrivin' in the city and there's music on my mind’, are incredible! Whenever I hear this song I start smiling :D
Certain Kind of Fool: the last sentence of the lyrics, ‘It wasn’t for the runnin’ but now he’s runnin’ every day’ gets me every time.
Outlaw Man: the bass in this song is incredible and when ‘Some men call me Abel’ start I tend to lose my mind! I love that part!
On the Border: I love the intro and outro (Say goodnight, Dick!).
James Dean: especially the beginning of this song is mind blowing!
One of These Nights: The guitar solo from Don ‘Fingers’ Felder is the best guitar solo ever created…! :guitar:
Take it to the Limit: the intro gets me every time, Goosebumps everywhere!
The Last Resort:that last sentence, ‘You call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye’ is unbelievably good, my eyes start to get teary when I hear it. :heart:
Heartache Tonight: ‘We can beat around the bushes’
Get over It: Great intro!
How Long:also a great intro!

I think that’s all….. haha

Houston Debutante
06-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Other people have said this but...When Don does that very sexual 'uh' after 'she got the Mercedes bend' ~ SO SEXY.

Windeagle
06-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. It has such a dreamy feel to it. Gorgeous.

Houston Debutante
06-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Listening to One Of These Nights in honor of its anniversary and noticed how much I love the sexy sound Don makes before he sings 'one that really screams.'

TakeMeToTheLimit
06-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Oh there's so many to name but some i`ll mention for now are felders one of these nights guitar solo as well as that great intro , the guitar to life in the fast lane particularly near the end, the part in take it to the limit where its about to really kick in and reach a crescendo and love the intro to take it easy one of my fave intros ever :)

Glennsallnighter
06-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Wonderful idea for a thread Troub!

Already Gone [FONT=Verdana]- The line "you can see the stars & still not see the light - that's right" And I ALWAYS wait for the end when Glenn sings "All right - nighty night" :) Too cute![/

Yeah. Love this thread too Troub. Great idea.

I was going to post the lines above from AG. I also love that line 'you can see the stars....' In the Farewell 1 DVD where he actually looks up to the stars. I just think it is sooooo cute.

Houston Debutante
06-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Don's little 'ah-ah' before one of the 'Johnny come lately' lines in the second half of New Kid In Town.