PDA

View Full Version : Recent contest in DC for top Rock and Roll songs

VAisForEagleLovers
05-28-2013, 11:49 AM
They ran a contest (which I did not vote in) on the local Classic Rock station of the top 500 Rock songs of all time, then played the results this past holiday weekend. The Eagles (including solo) came in as follows:

#471 Rocky Mountain Way
#462 Victim of Love
#448 All She Wants To Do Is Dance
#441 Heartache Tonight
#401 Peaceful Easy Feeling
#391 The Long Run
#268 One of These Nights
#257 Already Gone
#240 In The City
#232 Take It Easy
#222 Life in the Fast Lane
#156 Lyin' Eyes
#143 Dirty Laundry
#120 The Boys of Summer
#11 Life's Been Good
#3 Hotel California (#2 was Stairway to Heaven/Led Zeppelin and #1 was Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd)

You can see the full list here (http://www.thebigdc.com/pages/big-500-memorial-day-2013.html?cmp=DL_BIG500List) if you're curious.

zeldabjr
05-28-2013, 12:32 PM
our classic rock station did it too...apparently DCers are bigger Eagles fans than Buffalonians...

#467 In The City
#397 Dirty Laundry
#351 Boys of Summer
#287 One of These Nights
#277 The Long Run
#258 Funk 49
#115 Already Gone
#104 Take It Easy
#103 Life's Been Good
#84 Rocky Mountain Way
#81 Life in the Fast Lane
#3 Hotel California

#2 Freebird Lynyrd Skynyrd
#1 Stairway to Heaven Led Zeppelin

VAisForEagleLovers
05-28-2013, 02:07 PM
What a big difference!! I guess we can't expect those in Buffalo to feel an affinity for Sweet Home Alabama! Still, the difference in RMW was huge!

People here in DC love the Eagles... they played here three times in 2008, the first two were sold out quickly so they added a show a few months later. If it wasn't sold out by showtime it was close. When the show for this July went on sale, the tickets sold quickly and the high dollar seats (VIP) sold out within a few days. The Official Platinum seats first offered were more expensive then VIP and they sold quickly. There's some left, but they are further away. Even the super high dollar tickets in the front sections have sold off StubHub. There are two in row 3 on the floor (not in front) for $2k a piece. I bet they sell for $1500/ticket. They all would have sold even more quickly if the show wasn't on a Monday night.

sodascouts
05-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Don't mean to sound fangirlish by why are those two songs getting put ahead of "Hotel California"? And where's "Take It to the Limit"?

But I never let these lists get me too riled up. They're a dime a dozen and completely subjective.

Prettymaid
05-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Don't mean to sound fangirlish by why are those two songs getting put ahead of "Hotel California"? And where's "Take It to the Limit"?

But I never let these lists get me too riled up. They're a dime a dozen and completely subjective.

You're such a fangirl. ;-)

Freypower
05-28-2013, 07:01 PM

I dont' have a problem with Stairway being ahead of HC. Sweet Home Alabama I like but not that much.

My question is where is New Kid In Town? It reinforces my view that in many minds that song, my favourite Eagles song, has 'disappeared'.

A very big & very pleasant surprise at 9 though. WOW! It beat Bo Rhap? How?! :guitar:

prayfordaylight
06-03-2013, 06:07 PM
They do the same thing in Philly: http://www.wmgk.com/news/story.aspx?id=1709266

WalshFan88
06-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Hotel should definitely be at the top of that list... As much as I like LZ, Stairway was never a favorite nor was it an emotional connection for me. And I love "Alabama" and LS, but I'd put HC above it and any other song out there in a heartbeat.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2013, 06:20 PM
They do the same thing in Philly: http://www.wmgk.com/news/story.aspx?id=1709266

Wow, HC came in at #13 in Philly? What's wrong with them??

zeldabjr
06-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Wow, HC came in at #13 in Philly? What's wrong with them??

13???....13???....are you kidding me?...I thought 3 was bad!!!

Freypower
06-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Hotel should definitely be at the top of that list... As much as I like LZ, Stairway was never a favorite nor was it an emotional connection for me. And I love "Alabama" and LS, but I'd put HC above it and any other song out there in a heartbeat.

Everybody is different. At the risk of being labelled a heretic HC used to be my favourite Eagles song & now it isn't even that (it's second). It was never my favourite song (again, it got to second). It is personal opinion. Where does HC rank in my Top 20? Maybe 10th, possibly further down. Dont worry. I won't bore you with it. While the Philadelphia list was kinder to the Beatles I had to go to 257 before I found Sultans Of Swing which was 9 on the Washington list.

The bottom line for me is that as I grow older, Stairway becomes more important to me & HC less so.

TimothyBFan
06-04-2013, 07:40 AM
The bottom line for me is that as I grow older, Stairway becomes more important to me & HC less so.

Hadn't thought of it that way but I guess you're right. Me too.

Even tho Stairway is a far cry from my fave Zep song, I would definitely put it ahead of HC. I'm not agreeing at all with the Sweet Home Alabama placement. That seems way off, to me, anyways.

I'm also glad to see that Hey Jude was not in the top 3. (Sorry PM & FP!) I remember when the local radio stations around here use to do these countdown periodically when I was a kid, Hey Judy was ALWAYS #1, with Stairway and HC right behind it.

prayfordaylight
06-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Philly is a football Eagles town, not a musical Eagles town. More surprised there's two Skynyrd songs so high. Usually Springsteen, the Stones or Pink Floyd win.

Prettymaid
06-04-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm not even sure what my top three songs are. I think they change around, but I will say this - the songs I've always considered as some of my favorites would surprise you. They are from bands like REO, Boston and Kansas.

WalshFan88
06-04-2013, 07:52 AM
To me HC has more meaning and connection to me with not only the music (which obviously is my favorite part) but the lyrics as well. It just seems uplifting. My only gripe with Stairway is that it's depressing to me. The solo is great, and the "Bustle in your hedgerow" uptempo part is cool.

Where as slow as HC is, it's mysteriously uplifting and motivating. Whenever I'm needing motivation or a mood lifter, I just listen to it. Not even PEF or TIE does that for me, and PEF and TIE are obviously more upbeat and feel good than HC but for me, it's like HC was written about me and for me. I must have been involved with excess in my past life. ;) I also feel in a strange way that Desperado has a strong meaning to me. Not as sentimental but another song where I feel the words describe me.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-04-2013, 09:08 AM
The further south you go, the higher Lynyrd Skynyrd songs will be in the list!

Freypower
06-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Hadn't thought of it that way but I guess you're right. Me too.

Even tho Stairway is a far cry from my fave Zep song, I would definitely put it ahead of HC. I'm not agreeing at all with the Sweet Home Alabama placement. That seems way off, to me, anyways.

I'm also glad to see that Hey Jude was not in the top 3. (Sorry PM & FP!) I remember when the local radio stations around here use to do these countdown periodically when I was a kid, Hey Judy was ALWAYS #1, with Stairway and HC right behind it.

My favourite is the song that ranked at 8, A Day In The Life. If that had been before Hey Jude I would have been happy. However if we are talking about uplifting, emotional songs which change your mood, then Hey Jude is beyond compare in my opinion. I think we had a very old topic about this in Cheap Talk. I might revive it, because there are a lot of songs that make me feel this way, and most of them are not Eagles songs (there are a couple of solo songs).

Freypower
06-04-2013, 06:47 PM
To me HC has more meaning and connection to me with not only the music (which obviously is my favorite part) but the lyrics as well. It just seems uplifting. My only gripe with Stairway is that it's depressing to me. The solo is great, and the "Bustle in your hedgerow" uptempo part is cool.

Where as slow as HC is, it's mysteriously uplifting and motivating. Whenever I'm needing motivation or a mood lifter, I just listen to it. Not even PEF or TIE does that for me, and PEF and TIE are obviously more upbeat and feel good than HC but for me, it's like HC was written about me and for me. I must have been involved with excess in my past life. ;) I also feel in a strange way that Desperado has a strong meaning to me. Not as sentimental but another song where I feel the words describe me.

This is my favourite part of the song because it evokes the coming of spring in England. The rest of the song is anything but depressing where I'm concerned. It is like a spiritual awakening. I'm sorry to get off topic but I had to comment on that.