PDA

View Full Version : History of the Eagles Live Disc Song Survivor Game

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
07-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Time for our next Song Survivor! Our game this time will be History of the Eagles Live Disc Song Survivor. If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

I'm going to list the songs performed on the History of the Eagles Live Disc here. To clarify, these are the songs that are performed on the third disc from the History of the Eagles set, all from the 1977 Washington DC concert. An interesting twist on this Survivor is that the focus on your assessment isn't just the song, but rather this specific performance of it.

Vote for the one that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The one that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "Voted off of the island.") Each round, one more will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for the one you want to go, not for the one you want to stay.

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree about a certain song without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember.. it's still just a game.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes cannot be cast after the cut off time of 8:00 on the second day, and they cannot be changed once you have voted.

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared.

In order to avoid voter fraud, you must be a member for at least two weeks before the start of the game to cast a vote.

Congratulation to the winner of this Survivor Game ...

Take It Easy

Performances Eliminated:
Rocky Mountain Way 8/02
The Best of My Love 8/04
Hotel California 8/06
Lyin' Eyes 8/08
New Kid In Town 8/10
One of These Nights 8/12
Take It To the Limit 8/14

Thanks for playing.

GAME OVER!

WalshFan88
07-31-2013, 08:02 PM
I hate to do this but...

Lyin' Eyes

sodascouts
07-31-2013, 08:02 PM
First, let me say I enjoy ALL the performances on this disc. They were on FIRE and each and every one is fantastic.

However, something's gotta give! So, here goes:

I cast my vote for Rocky Mountain Way.

I like it (as I like them all), but it's not technically an Eagles song, and thus it's expendable to me.

WalshFan88
07-31-2013, 08:05 PM
RMW is cool cuz of the extended jam but for me I prefer NKIT any day of the week to LE. Studio or on this disc which proves it for me.

SallyGee
07-31-2013, 08:10 PM
I thought I would be alone on this one. I agree with Soda. I don't consider it a true Eagles song so I vote for Rocky Mountain Way.

Freypower
07-31-2013, 08:12 PM
RMW is cool cuz of the extended jam but for me I prefer NKIT any day of the week to LE. Studio or on this disc which proves it for me.

We are supposed to be voting on the performance rather than the song.

Best Of My Love

sodascouts
07-31-2013, 08:16 PM
That's the idea, but as I said in the opening post, in the end it's up to you to use whatever criteria you want.

GlennLover
07-31-2013, 08:21 PM
I vote for Rocky Mountain Way. I agree with Soda & it is my least favourite by a hair.

Prettymaid
07-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Soda, I love your avatar! :smitten: Let's just say that that part of the, ahem...performance... swayed my vote. ;-)

The thing I like about this performance of RMW is that Don harmonizes on it. I also enjoy watching close ups of Joe using his glass slide, and when Glenn gets the crowd going, well, he gets me going too, if you know what I mean. :heybaby:

That being said, have I ever mentioned that I'm not a big fan of RMW? Don't get me wrong; when I see it live I am hootin' and hollerin' with the best of them. But I much prefer Walk Away and In The City to it. And don't take away my I Love Joe button, but I don't really care that much for the talk box portion of the song either. So I guess in my case I am considering both the song and the performance with RMW. I feel a little guilty (just a little) about being one of the few Joe fans on here and voting this one off first, but that's the way it is.

I cast my vote for Rocky Mountain Way.

Tiffanny Twisted
07-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Rocky .mountain way

Topkat
07-31-2013, 09:38 PM
My vote goes to

LYIN' EYES

sad-cafe
07-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Lying Eyes

UK TimFan
08-01-2013, 12:05 AM
I vote for 'New kid in town'.

Glennsallnighter
08-01-2013, 05:25 AM
I vote for Rocky Mountain Way. Again it's not a true Eagles song, though it is an excellent song. Also I want to annoy Austin by voting off a Joe song coz he voted MY fave!

( I'm so shallow)

Prettymaid
08-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Lamora, as much as I would love for your vote to be counted, you have to be a member for at least 2 weeks before you can play, according to the rules on the first page of this thread. But you are free to join the discussions during the game. We would love your input!

Don't worry. We have Survivor games periodically; you'll be able to vote in the next one!

scottside
08-01-2013, 08:23 AM
I cast my vote for "Best Of My Love." As great as it is to hear that live, it's up against a host of what I consider to be better performed songs.

TimothyBFan
08-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Well the 2 that are getting the votes were both at the bottom of my list also. Tho I really loved watching Joe play on RMW, I can't get past the whole solo songs in an Eagles concert thing. And, yes, I know it's about the performance but it's also about which song I like better and I truly like LE better so I guess I'm jumping on the band wagon in this round.

My vote goes to Rocky Mountain Way.

prayfordaylight
08-01-2013, 09:13 AM
I'm in the same wagon as most - the two songs I planned to vote for are the ones getting votes.

By a hair, I vote for Rocky Mountain Way.

WalshFan88
08-01-2013, 10:51 AM
We are supposed to be voting on the performance rather than the song.

Best Of My Love

I realize that FP, but you didn't understand where I mentioned that the performance on the disc makes it that much clearer of a choice.

As Soda said, people are free to vote how they want. Still, performance or song itself, I much prefer NKIT and can't tolerate much of LE, so therefore my vote is what it is.

WalshFan88
08-01-2013, 11:03 AM
I vote for Rocky Mountain Way. Again it's not a true Eagles song, though it is an excellent song. Also I want to annoy Austin by voting off a Joe song coz he voted MY fave!

( I'm so shallow)

Sorry GA - I've just never clicked with Lyin' Eyes... So for me, it had to go first. To me it's like a really long story that never ends and is kind of a winding road. And I like long songs and story-based songs but LE is just too all over the place for me (for lack of a better word). Hearing NKIT on this disc gave me a new appreciation for it, and it's likely to be near my top 3. I just prefer it, that's all. LE was performed good and all, I just get bored.

TBH, RMW is close to the bottom of my list just because I prefer a certain trio of songs. So you aren't annoying me that much. ;) :D

yekrut
08-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Take it Easy

sodascouts
08-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Yeah, like I said before, something's gotta go - so voting for something isn't an indication of disliking it per se, just that you like others more.

Brooke
08-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Enjoying the discussion so far, but can't vote yet! I gotta watch it all again! I don't know if I can pick one, I love 'em all!

Topkat
08-01-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm really not that shocked that RMW has so many votes because many feel this is a Joe song & not really an Eagle song, but I just couldn't vote it out yet!:guitar:

WalshFan88
08-01-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm really not that shocked that RMW has so many votes because many feel this is a Joe song & not really an Eagle song, but I just couldn't vote it out yet!:guitar:

Me neither, but it's coming up soon.

NYC Fan
08-01-2013, 06:41 PM
I vote for Rocky Mountain Way as well. Every performance is great on the DVD, but something has to go and I just can't vote the others out yet.

I love the performance of Lyin' Eyes on the DVD. Glenn looks and sounds beautiful during it. IMHO, of course...

Ive always been a dreamer
08-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Wow - I also hate to see Rocky Mountain Way voted off so soon. I think it is fantastic and one of my favorite performances, even though it isn't my favorite song. I totally agree that every single one of the performances on the DVD are absolutely incredible, but a few of them do 'grab' me a little more than others. I'm going to try really hard to vote according to performance of the song rather than what song I like best. However, there is so little difference in the quality of some of these performances that I will probably have to vote for my favorite if I think all things are equal. Of course, I'm gonna also vote strategically in rounds where my vote won't make a difference in the outcome.

Freypower
08-01-2013, 09:25 PM
I vote for Rocky Mountain Way as well. Every performance is great on the DVD, but something has to go and I just can't vote the others out yet.

I love the performance of Lyin' Eyes on the DVD. Glenn looks and sounds beautiful during it. IMHO, of course...

Hear, hear. I'm glad I am not the only one who finds it mesmerising. For me it is the standout; better than the performance of NKIT.

08-01-2013, 10:00 PM
I love the Lyin' Eyes performance too mainly because of Glenn's passionate performance. But for me, it doesn't top New Kid In Town as far as a total band performance. The harmonies are totally incredible especially the last verse. You can hear Randy's high voice so well, and the whole performance is just amazing.

08-02-2013, 09:01 AM
I may not be around tonight when the voting closes so I'm gonna have to go ahead and vote earlier than I'd like. As I've said, it's a very close call but ...

I cast my vote for The Best of My Love.

It's a gorgeous song, but the performance is more subdued than the others on the DVD, IMO.

Brooke
08-02-2013, 10:11 AM
I will go ahead and vote for Rocky Mountain Way because I just really don't care a lot for the talk box and I'm so busy at work I might forget to come back here. It's still a great song, but something has to go.

I think all the performances are just wonderful and the eye candy is very impressive! :drool:

WalshFan88
08-02-2013, 01:25 PM
But for me, it doesn't top New Kid In Town as far as a total band performance. The harmonies are totally incredible especially the last verse. You can hear Randy's high voice so well, and the whole performance is just amazing.

Exactly.

sodascouts
08-02-2013, 08:00 PM
The first performance to be eliminated from History of the Eagles Live Disc Survivor is "Rocky Mountain Way". “Rocky Mountain Way”, you couldn't get much higher in the game. The tribe has spoken; it's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Rocky Mountain Way – 10
Lyin' Eyes - 3
Best of My Love - 3
New Kid in Town - 1
Take It Easy - 1

Vote Breakdown
Rocky Mountain Way - sodascouts
Rocky Mountain Way - SallyGee
Rocky Mountain Way - GlennLover
Rocky Mountain Way - Prettymaid
Rocky Mountain Way - Tiffanny Twisted
Rocky Mountain Way - Glennsallnighter
Rocky Mountain Way - TimothyBFan
Rocky Mountain Way - prayfordaylight
Rocky Mountain Way - NYC Fan
Rocky Mountain Way - Brooke
Lyin' Eyes - WalshFan88
Lyin' Eyes - Topkat
Lyin' Eyes - sad-cafe
Best of My Love - Freypower
Best of My Love - scottside
Best of My Love - Ive always been a dreamer
New Kid in Town - UK TimFan
Take It Easy - yekrut

Performances eliminated:
Rocky Mountain Way 8/02

Performances remaining:
Hotel California
New Kid In Town
Take It To the Limit
One of These Nights
Lyin' Eyes
The Best of My Love
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 2 begins now.

sodascouts
08-02-2013, 08:33 PM
My first choice was easy. Now... I'm going to have to watch that disc again... I can't decide!

Prettymaid
08-02-2013, 08:39 PM
I agree. It gets hard from here. These performances are all great in their own way.

Freypower
08-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Best Of My Love

WalshFan88
08-02-2013, 08:53 PM
Lyin' Eyes

Prettymaid
08-02-2013, 08:56 PM
The next song on my list is New Kid In Town.

I guess I feel about this one the way some feel about Lyin Eyes. Just not as much going on in NKIT. Glenn's eyes are closed almost the whole time, just as they are in LE, but I think I like the LE performance a little more than NKIT.

sad-cafe
08-03-2013, 01:21 AM
LYin' Eyes

Prettymaid
08-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Before we get too far into the round I'd like put in a good word for Lyin Eyes.

I've probably mentioned somewhere here before that LE is not one of my favorite Eagles songs, and it's basically for the reasons WF has given; it's long and meandering, and I find myself losing interest after the first verse.

But in this performance they up the tempo, which for me helps tremendously in moving the song along. You wouldn't think that would make such a big difference, but for me it does. Also, performancewise, I love how Glenn looks up during the line and stares out at the stars up in the sky. And when they get to the my, oh my part and Don harmonizes the words with Glenn while the others harmonize with the ahhhs - that is absolutely beautiful.

I hope as we break down these performances during the game that you will put the disc in and watch it again to see what is being pointed out here. It might help you see something you missed before!

NYC Fan
08-03-2013, 08:49 AM
PM

I happen to love LE, so I may not be too objective. But I agree with you that it is a wonderful performance of that song. Glenn is very soulful when he sings it.

So hard to choose, but I'm picking Best of My Love to go next. Hate to do that to Don, but I can't think of another performance that I'd get rid of ahead of that.

And I love your avatar! I loved that shirt at Bethel Woods and it's one of my favorite recent pictures of Joe. So cool 8-)

Topkat
08-03-2013, 09:45 AM
I will watch the show again ( such torture) All of the performances are top notch, but I want to base my vote on the actual performance in this show & not for the song itself.

HeatherK
08-03-2013, 03:49 PM
I cast my vote for Best of My Love. Love them all, but I prefer the others live...

08-03-2013, 06:43 PM
PM – I absolutely agree with you about Lyin’ Eyes, but not so much about New Kid In Town. Lyin’ Eyes is a wonderful performance and I also think the uptempo arrangement adds so much to the song. I don't think this song deserves to be voted off yet. But, to me, New Kid In Town is spectacular. Glenn’s empassioned performance of this song is spot on, Don’s and Randy’s crystal clear harmonies are exquisite, as are Felder’s and Joe’s instrumentals. The entire band gives such an energic performance in this song and they look like they are having a great time as well.

I also love Best of My Love, but I remember Don has previously said he thought the song ‘sucked live’. Now, those are his words, not mine, and, with all due respect Don, I think you need to listen again. There is no way the performance on the DVD sucked – as a matter of fact, I thought it was wonderful and Don’s voice is gorgeous. However, compared to the other performances, it is very laid back and subdued and just doesn’t rock my world as much as some of the others. Plus the harmonies aren’t quite as vibrant and Joe and Felder are hardly featured in it all. This is definitely my choice to go next, but I’m going to wait to see how this round plays out before officially casting my vote.

Topkat
08-03-2013, 07:54 PM
OK, this morning I watched the concert again, & studied the performances carefully....I have rated them all an 8, 9, & 10.

One song I'm going to mention here is one that is really not one of my favorite Eagle songs, but the performance in this show was just wonderful, and that is Take It Easy!!! I just love when a singer gives a smile during a slight break in the vocal & Glenn does that here. It shows how much he is enjoying the song & it's very endearing. Also I see smiles on Don Felder & a wink from Joe. The audience is totally rocking out & the band is lovin' it. This is what I love to see in a performance. They just all seem so happy together & unified up there!! :) Ahhh....the good ol' days!!! :partytime:
I have to say that this is one of my favorites in the show. As I said, this isn't really one of my favorite songs, but I have to give props to this performance!

After carefully rewatching the whole thing, I have to vote again for:

LYIN' EYES.

WalshFan88
08-03-2013, 11:03 PM
I watched the disc again and my list is still the same. I love it though.

scottside
08-04-2013, 10:18 AM
I vote for "Best of My Love." This was easy, but after this it'll be much tougher!

Brooke
08-04-2013, 11:03 AM
I watched again and tried to really pay attention to what was going on and as much as I love this song, Hotel California, the performance here was just pretty calm. They definitely 'loitered' on stage on this one. :wink: Don sings great but other than Joe and Felders guitar playing there just isn't much happening here. Maybe because it's the first song. I don't know. In almost all of the others there is a lot more going on.

But there it is. I vote for Hotel California!

Don't hurt me! :fear:

sad-cafe
08-04-2013, 01:35 PM
OK, this morning I watched the concert again, & studied the performances carefully....I have rated them all an 8, 9, & 10.

One song I'm going to mention here is one that is really not one of my favorite Eagle songs, but the performance in this show was just wonderful, and that is Take It Easy!!! I just love when a singer gives a smile during a slight break in the vocal & Glenn does that here. It shows how much he is enjoying the song & it's very endearing. Also I see smiles on Don Felder & a wink from Joe. The audience is totally rocking out & the band is lovin' it. This is what I love to see in a performance. They just all seem so happy together & unified up there!! :) Ahhh....the good ol' days!!! :partytime:
I have to say that this is one of my favorites in the show. As I said, this isn't really one of my favorite songs, but I have to give props to this performance!

After carefully rewatching the whole thing, I have to vote again for:

LYIN' EYES.

My vote is Lyin' Eyes also.

I LOVE YOUR AVATAR

WalshFan88
08-04-2013, 01:40 PM
I watched again and tried to really pay attention to what was going on and as much as I love this song, Hotel California, the performance here was just pretty calm. They definitely 'loitered' on stage on this one. :wink: Don sings great but other than Joe and Felders guitar playing there just isn't much happening here. Maybe because it's the first song. I don't know. In almost all of the others there is a lot more going on.

But there it is. I vote for Hotel California!

Don't hurt me! :fear:

:machinegun:

sad-cafe
08-04-2013, 01:55 PM
I have to defend my favorite Best of My Love

In this performance they do something different with the ending and the harmony is even more beautiful. I just love it!

Topkat
08-04-2013, 02:16 PM
My vote is Lyin' Eyes also.

I LOVE YOUR AVATAR

Thanks! I love yours too!!! TIMMMY rocks!

sad-cafe
08-04-2013, 02:18 PM
yes he does~

When my hubby got our Eagles Tx I told him I needed to be on the left side of the stage. He was like "what ever, as long as I get the benefit from it"

Glennsallnighter
08-04-2013, 05:58 PM
They are all great performances and it is great to have had an opportunity to watch such excellent quality footage from a time when I was only a kid! But sadly something's gotta go! This round I'm voting 'Best Of My Love' off.

Note to self! It's as well Troub is on her holidays........

sodascouts
08-04-2013, 06:14 PM
OK - this is painful but here goes....

I cast my vote for Hotel California.

I know it's a controversial choice, but this performance has been available for decades (broadcast on VH1 in lieu of a video) and it just doesn't have the same freshness as the others I've never seen before. Of course it's a brilliant song as always, but it doesn't excite me the way the other performances do. Again, that might be because it's not "new" footage, but it's true nonetheless. The guys don't seem to be having as much fun with this one as they do with some of the others - perhaps because it's a more serious song - the notable exception being Joe and Felder at the end.

thelastresort
08-04-2013, 06:17 PM
I hope I'm OK to vote...? Sure I've been here long enough.

Anyway, unlike anyone else on here, I managed to whittle them down fairly quickly, purely on the basis that one of the songs on the DVD is, for me, the best Eagles performance I have ever seen. For me then, it's just a case of biding time until the relevant rounds pass (haven't got a clue what I'll do if my fave goes out though!). So for now, I'll pick a song I have to be honest and say no matter how it is done, it always sounds a bit too flat, a bit too empty, a bit too slow live. My vote goes for Best of My Love

Glennsallnighter
08-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Hope YOUR favourite isn't eliminated before you get to vote for it TLR!

sodascouts
08-04-2013, 06:28 PM
You're fine to vote, TRL. The cut off is two weeks and you joined over three weeks ago. You just made it. ;)

SoaringRockyMountainWay
08-04-2013, 06:43 PM
I love the song Best of My Love but I'm gonna have to cast my vote for it.

sodascouts
08-04-2013, 06:49 PM
I'm afraid you'll have to wait a little longer before you can vote, SRMW. As I said in the post above yours, you have to have been a member for at least two weeks.

GlennLover
08-04-2013, 06:57 PM
This is just too hard! I just watched it again & that wasn't any help in making a decision.

I guess I'm going to duck & run here too as I am voting Hotel California. It didn't excite me quite as much as the others, but the difference is very small. It's most likely as Soda said, it's probably because I have seen it many times before.

SallyGee
08-04-2013, 07:27 PM
New Kid in Town

08-04-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm afraid you'll have to wait a little longer before you can vote, SRMW. As I said in the post above yours, you have to have been a member for at least two weeks.

And in addition to this, those who are eligible to vote can only vote once in a round - I believe s-c has voted twice this round, so, of course, only her first vote counts.

Now, as I said earlier, I would vote for Best of My Love if necessary, but, it looks as if it will go down without my help. So, I am going to vote strategically. Just to even up the score a little, since this song hasn't received any votes yet ...

I cast my vote for One of These Nights.

sodascouts
08-04-2013, 08:01 PM
The second performance to be eliminated from History of the Eagles Live Disc Survivor is "Best of My Love". “Best of My Love”, the performance was great, but when compared to the others, I guess it wasn't enough. The tribe has spoken; it's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Best of My Love - 6
Lyin' Eyes - 3
Hotel California - 3
New Kid in Town - 2
One of These Nights - 1

Vote Breakdown
Best of My Love - Freypower
Best of My Love - NYC Fan
Best of My Love - HeatherK
Best of My Love - scottside
Best of My Love - Glennsallnighter
Best of My Love - thelastresort
Lyin' Eyes - WalshFan88
Lyin' Eyes - sad-cafe
Lyin' Eyes - Topkat
Hotel California - Brooke
Hotel California - sodascouts
Hotel California - GlennLover
New Kid in Town - Prettymaid
New Kid in Town - SallyGee
One of These Nights - Ive always been a dreamer

Performances eliminated:
Rocky Mountain Way 8/02
Best of My Love 8/04

Performances remaining:
Hotel California
New Kid In Town
Take It To the Limit
One of These Nights
Lyin' Eyes
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 3 begins now.

sad-cafe
08-04-2013, 08:18 PM
aw

I am sad

That said

my vote this round is Lyin' Eyes

thelastresort
08-04-2013, 08:21 PM
My vote here is for a song which I think no matter how many times you perform it, it is very complex to make it substantially more vibrant or raw than it is in the studio version, as was the case on this DVD - my vote goes to Lyin' Eyes.

Freypower
08-04-2013, 08:27 PM
It isn't looking good for Lyin' Eyes which I thought was the standout performance. Oh well. I will use strategy here & join those who voted for Hotel California.

HeatherK
08-04-2013, 10:26 PM
This round my vote is for Lyin' Eyes. There's just something more in the others in this group that gets to me.

Prettymaid
08-04-2013, 10:31 PM
I'll join the HC alliance. The only song lower on my list is NKIT, but it doesn't look like many agree with me on that. I do love the way Glenn sways and smiles in HC, but I like most of the other performances better. So...

sodascouts
08-04-2013, 10:34 PM
For previously stated reasons...

thelastresort
08-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Out of interest how much of the concert would those 8 songs have been? I can't believe at the height of their fame they only did 45 minute gigs - but then why would they only release half a gig on DVD?

Topkat
08-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Out of interest how much of the concert would those 8 songs have been? I can't believe at the height of their fame they only did 45 minute gigs - but then why would they only release half a gig on DVD?

I also think this is not the full show. For whatever reasons, I do think there are several songs left off this dvd. They couldn't possibly do a show that short.
I really didn't get that either????:confused::confused::headscratch:

sodascouts
08-04-2013, 10:55 PM
It definitely isn't the full show. Perhaps they didn't like how the other songs turned out.

WalshFan88
08-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Lyin' Eyes - again!

Really don't get all of the votes for HC, but oh well. It's without a doubt the best on the disc, AFAIC. I love Don and Joe's interaction and their wizardry on the guitar is shown in this song. I think that video of that song on that disc is the best thing they've put out in many years. So much better and different than the bootlegs. Much more realistic.

Prettymaid
08-04-2013, 11:13 PM
I hesitate posting this, but since I've considered it, probably others have, too.

I freely admit that my idea of a great moment in a performance is sometimes a smile, a look, a certain move...you get the idea. ;-) I'm pretty sure that WF or any guy playing this particular Survivor game is not paying attention to those things; thus our criteria for a great performance is probably very different. :hilarious: Austin, that might be why we're not seeing eye to eye, if you get what I mean.

WalshFan88
08-04-2013, 11:14 PM
I hesitate posting this, but since I've considered it, probably others have, too.

I freely admit that my idea of a great moment in a performance is sometimes a smile, a look, a certain move...you get the idea. ;-) I'm pretty sure that WF or any guy playing this particular Survivor game is not paying attention to those things; thus our criteria for a great performance is probably very different. :hilarious: Austin, that might be why we're not seeing eye to eye, if you get what I mean.

Makes sense. :hilarious:

I'm looking at the musical aspect of the performance too, but also focusing on the instruments and voices and not the guys themselves so much. :lol:

Prettymaid
08-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Makes sense. :hilarious:

I'm looking at the musical aspect of the performance too, but also focusing on the instruments and voices and not the guys themselves so much. :lol:

Don't get me wrong - that's not the only thing I'm judging. But it did play a part as I was making my list.

sodascouts
08-04-2013, 11:33 PM

Oh gosh, please don't leave this thread believing all the females are voting based on how hot the guys looked during the performance. I can't speak for anyone else, but I laid out my reasons for voting for HC and it had nothing to do with that. If anyone cares, you can read them in this post (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=243183&postcount=56).

When they show emotion like smiling or such, it does enhance the performance because it adds energy to it. I think a man would be able to appreciate higher energy as well as a woman. However, I'm certainly not going "there was a great shot of Glenn's butt during Lyin' Eyes, sure hope it wins!" Otherwise, RMW would have made it a lot further, lol.

If there is anyone basing their decisions on that, hey, it's up to them. Like I said, you can use any criteria you like. I just don't want Austin or anyone else to assume that all the women voting here don't look at the "musical aspect" because we're too busy drooling over the guys, and that's what drives all of our votes.

I'm not a feminist but I want to make that kind of thing clear because all too many men will misinterpret PM's statement as an affirmation of an insulting stereotype that the vast majority of female fans are shallow creatures whose appreciation of rock music is secondary to /dependent on whether or not they find the musician sexually desirable.

Freypower
08-04-2013, 11:42 PM
For me the performance of LE here is a great performance of a great song. As most people know, it is not my favourite era for Glenn in terms of his looks, so I can hardly judge it solely on that.

NYC Fan
08-04-2013, 11:46 PM
This gets tougher every round, but I vote for Hotel California this time.

Topkat
08-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Lyin' Eyes - again!

Really don't get all of the votes for HC, but oh well. It's without a doubt the best on the disc, AFAIC. I love Don and Joe's interaction and their wizardry on the guitar is shown in this song. I think that video of that song on that disc is the best thing they've put out in many years. So much better and different than the bootlegs. Much more realistic.

Austin, I have to agree with you here. I think this performance of HC is amazing, and I don't understand how it is getting so many votes so early in this game, but
I believe many do not want this song to win, so are voting it out now.

Survivor is a game of strategy & that is how it goes...:-(:-(:-(

sad-cafe
08-05-2013, 12:20 AM
I think it is going to come down to 2 songs.

should I list them here or PM to someone to keep it honest?

I dont' want to influence anyone ;)

GlennLover
08-05-2013, 12:22 AM
It definitely isn't the full show. Perhaps they didn't like how the other songs turned out.

Just as a point of interest here, I don't think that this DVD is taken just from one show. Last week when I watched it for the umpteenth time to prepare for this Survivor, I noticed that in one shot Glenn's hair was held right back off his face with his sunglasses & in the next shot some if his hair was loose & over his face. I thought at first that it must just be the angle of the camera & close-ups versus shots taken from farther away, but it changed from all the front part of his hair held back to much of it being loose throughout the song. When I watched it again today I looked more closely at this & it is evident in more than one of the songs. I noticed it first & it seems to be most evident in Lyin' Eyes. :???: :headscratch:

WalshFan88
08-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Oh gosh, please don't leave this thread believing all the females are voting based on how hot the guys looked during the performance. I can't speak for anyone else, but I laid out my reasons for voting for HC and it had nothing to do with that. If anyone cares, you can read them in this post (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=243183&postcount=56).

When they show emotion like smiling or such, it does enhance the performance because it adds energy to it. I think a man would be able to appreciate higher energy as well as a woman. However, I'm certainly not going "there was a great shot of Glenn's butt during Lyin' Eyes, sure hope it wins!" Otherwise, RMW would have made it a lot further, lol.

If there is anyone basing their decisions on that, hey, it's up to them. Like I said, you can use any criteria you like. I just don't want Austin or anyone else to assume that all the women voting here don't look at the "musical aspect" because we're too busy drooling over the guys, and that's what drives all of our votes.

I'm not a feminist but I want to make that kind of thing clear because all too many men will misinterpret PM's statement as an affirmation of an insulting stereotype that the vast majority of female fans are shallow creatures whose appreciation of rock music is secondary to /dependent on whether or not they find the musician sexually desirable.

I know, when I said "music aspect too", I meant along/in addition with everyone else. Not that no one else does. I just didn't let looks enter my mind. Just like when I see pics of the guys, I see guitars and microphones and drums... It's just what I focus on. It's fine, I'm not thinking anything like that. :D

NYC Fan
08-05-2013, 07:05 AM

They way I look at it, their looks, then and now, are just an added bonus to some amazing music. No shame in that, and I have a feeling that they are well aware of that aspect of their appeal to their female fans.

The period this DVD was filmed is, to me anyway, pretty much them at the peak of their hotness. However, I have already voted off 2 Don songs, and he's my favorite, so that has very little to do with how I voted. It has been the performance of the songs, pure and simple. The 2 songs I am thinking will win/my last 2 off the island, aren't even my favorite Eagles songs, or sung by my favorite Eagle.

That said, it makes for pleasant viewing when trying to decide which performance is the best ;-)

TimothyBFan
08-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Before we get too far into the round I'd like put in a good word for Lyin Eyes.

I've probably mentioned somewhere here before that LE is not one of my favorite Eagles songs, and it's basically for the reasons WF has given; it's long and meandering, and I find myself losing interest after the first verse.

But in this performance they up the tempo, which for me helps tremendously in moving the song along. You wouldn't think that would make such a big difference, but for me it does. Also, performancewise, I love how Glenn looks up during the line and stares out at the stars up in the sky. And when they get to the my, oh my part and Don harmonizes the words with Glenn while the others harmonize with the ahhhs - that is absolutely beautiful.

I hope as we break down these performances during the game that you will put the disc in and watch it again to see what is being pointed out here. It might help you see something you missed before!

By golly, it worked!!! I missed the vote over the weekend and expected to come in here & find LE gone but lo and behold it isn't.Unfortunately, one of my faves, BOML is but they all have to be eliminated sooner or later. I watched it again last night and really paid attention to what you had here and I must say, I noticed--especially the harmonizing bit and it is indeed more uptempo. I've always loved the song but I didn't care that much for this performance... until I paid more attention. So I've moved it on my list. I think this is a first for me.

As for HC, ---AUSTIN--read no further here :blush:--- It was on my list as my 3rd from the bottom but since I shifted LE up a bit, this became next. Again, I really watched it last night BUT it just still isn't doing much for me. As I've said in the past, not one of my fave Eagles tunes so I don't know if that is a huge factor or not but this performance seems to drag to me. I love Don's voice in it, as usual but is just seems lackluster. I've also been one that said I wanted them to go back to the original HC without the bells and whistles (or horns as we know them) but if this is what we get, I'm not sure.

I vote for Hotel California.

scottside
08-05-2013, 08:55 AM
I also cast my vote for "Hotel California."

Prettymaid
08-05-2013, 09:14 AM

Yes, please don't misunderstand. But when I mention in a post that I like it when Glenn looks up during the line in Lyin Eyes, and stares out at the stars up in the sky, I doubt very much that many guys even notice that, let alone include that kind of performance enhancement in their decision. That's all I meant by it. Again, it's not the only thing I'm judging on, but yeah, those kinds of things are considered.

Prettymaid
08-05-2013, 09:21 AM
By golly, it worked!!! I missed the vote over the weekend and expected to come in here & find LE gone but lo and behold it isn't.Unfortunately, one of my faves, BOML is but they all have to be eliminated sooner or later. I watched it again last night and really paid attention to what you had here and I must say, I noticed--especially the harmonizing bit and it is indeed more uptempo. I've always loved the song but I didn't care that much for this performance... until I paid more attention. So I've moved it on my list. I think this is a first for me.

Well, thank you TBF.

And when I posted that I hope you all will read what is noticed in a performance and that you will put the disc in and take a look at that part of it, I didn't mean just my assessments. I meant that for everybody's. If somebody points something out that I missed, I'm going to watch it again. It might not sway my vote, but then again, it just might!

prayfordaylight
08-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Voting for Lyin' Eyes.

SoaringRockyMountainWay
08-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Lyin' Eyes

yekrut
08-05-2013, 11:02 AM
hotel california

Topkat
08-05-2013, 11:25 AM
I'm not really paying much attention to how the guys look, but more to what is going on in the performance. The vocals of course are very important, but to me sometimes their actions onstage & how "into it" they are, for lack of a better term. Sometimes I feel the guys can be on "autopilot" & there is a lack of feeling in a performance. They are doing these same songs over & over again, like millions of times by now, that I guess that can be expected. This being a performance from the 70's, it was newer & maybe more energetic.

All considered, my vote again goes to LYIN' EYES

08-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Again, SoaringRockyMountainWay, our rule for this game is that players must be a member of the board in good standing for two weeks prior to the start of the game to be eligible to vote in the game. You are welcome to participate in the discussion, but please refrain from voting. We play these Survivor games periodically, so, hope you stick around to vote in our next game.

As far as the criteria I am using to vote for these performances – I am trying to look at the total package i.e. the vocals, the instrumentation, the amount of energy and passion the entire band puts into the performance, the crowd interaction, the band interaction, and, yes, even little nuances that may make the performance more interesting and enjoyable.

As far as Hotel California, many of you probably know how much I revere this song. I have said many times that I believe it to be one of the, if not the best and most influential songs in the history of rock and roll. Every single time I am at a show and hear the song, it moves me, mostly because it makes me appreciate how fortunate I am to be witness to one of the greatest bands in history performing one of the greatest songs in history. However, I will also say that I think because it is such an epic song, the band tries to pay homage to it by playing it to perfection. I truly appreciate that because I think it shows the respect and appreciation the band has for the song, and means we’ll never see a bad performance. But, I also think their intense focus may take away from some of the spontaneity that you see in some of their other performances and I can understand why some may view the performance as rather stiff. I just think a lot of folks prefer relaxed and loose in their rock and roll rather than technical perfection. So, I have to agree that it is not one of my favorite overall performances on the DVD in spite of my immense admiration for the song.

However, as usual, I am going to wait to cast my vote.

thelastresort
08-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Out of interest what would the next Survivor be on? I searched back and seen you've done them for songs on albums and albums themselves - where do we go from here?

(One for the Farewell 1 DVD would be awesome, but would take about 5 years to complete ;) :D)

Freypower
08-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Out of interest what would the next Survivor be on? I searched back and seen you've done them for songs on albums and albums themselves - where do we go from here?

(One for the Farewell 1 DVD would be awesome, but would take about 5 years to complete ;) :D)

We have never done HFO or F1 video Survivors. I don't know if they are practical, particularly F1. If it were up to me I could easily participate in both.

We don't have set times for when we do them. It might be that because we have a lot of new members we might start from the beginning & do all the Eagles albums & then solo compilations but it is up to Soda when & what is done.

sodascouts
08-05-2013, 11:10 PM
I was thinking a video Survivor on other DVDs would be fun if this one worked out. Dreamer helps me with these games and often suggests great ideas as well as reminding me to start one up when I lose track of how much time has passed since the last one!

Eventually, we'll redo older ones for the benefit of new members. I typically wait at least three years before doing a repeat, though.

TakeMeToTheLimit
08-06-2013, 05:47 AM
I'm gonna go for hotel california just for the fact its always there on any live dvd or cd in some way (I'm not complaining cos I LOVE! it! awesome song!) now i get that its their signature song but I feel that it makes things more interesting if its taken out of the equation 3 of my all time fave eagles songs left which at one time or another have been my fave eagles song

UK TimFan
08-06-2013, 02:43 PM

GlennLover
08-06-2013, 06:58 PM
I vote Hotel California for the reasons I stated in the last round.

08-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Well - it looks like this round is settled, so I'm going to vote strategically again. I'll continue to try to even the score as I did last round. Since this song hasn't received any votes yet ...

I cast my vote for Take It To the Limit.

sodascouts
08-06-2013, 08:01 PM
In a shocking twist, the third performance to be eliminated from History of the Eagles Live Disc Survivor is "Hotel California". “Hotel California”, it turns out you can leave after all. The tribe has spoken; it's time for you to go. The rest of the performances may return to camp.

Votes
Hotel California - 9
Lyin' Eyes - 6
New Kid in Town - 1
Take It to the Limit - 1

Vote Breakdown
Hotel California - Freypower
Hotel California - Prettymaid
Hotel California - sodascouts
Hotel California - NYC Fan
Hotel California - TimothyBFan
Hotel California - scottside
Hotel California - yekrut
Hotel California - TakeMeToTheLimit
Hotel California - GlennLover
Lyin' Eyes - sad-cafe
Lyin' Eyes - thelastresort
Lyin' Eyes - HeatherK
Lyin' Eyes - WalshFan88
Lyin' Eyes - prayfordaylight
Lyin' Eyes - Topkat
Take It to the Limit - Ive always been a dreamer

Performances eliminated:
Rocky Mountain Way 8/02
Best of My Love 8/04
Hotel California 8/06

Performances remaining:
New Kid In Town
Take It To the Limit
One of These Nights
Lyin' Eyes
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 4 begins now.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-06-2013, 08:03 PM
new kid in town

Freypower
08-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Take It To The Limit

Brooke
08-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Shoot! Can't believe I missed this round, but the game is going my way any way!

Austin, please don't take it wrong that HC has gone down. I still love it. It's just this particular performance that I don't feel is as good as most of the others. It's still awesome!

Great discussion guys! I will try to get back and vote in this one! Life is keeping me way too busy!

HeatherK
08-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Of those left, I'm going with Lyin Eyes

RebeccaLovesEagles
08-06-2013, 10:36 PM
One of These Nights

WalshFan88
08-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Take It Easy

Glennsallnighter
08-07-2013, 02:56 AM
Dang! I can't believe I missed this round either! Had a very busy day yesterday and just didn't stop! Still, as with you Brooke, at least it's going my way.

NYC Fan
08-07-2013, 07:44 AM
I'm going with New Kid in Town this round.

Getting so difficult to choose!

scottside
08-07-2013, 08:18 AM
I cast my vote for "One Of These Nights."

prayfordaylight
08-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Lyin Eyes again.

Topkat
08-07-2013, 10:56 AM
The votes are all over the place. I'm not even sure what I want to do anymore. :confused::confused::confused:

WalshFan88
08-07-2013, 11:50 AM
The votes are all over the place. I'm not even sure what I want to do anymore. :confused::confused::confused:

You could join my coalition and go for Take It Easy!! By far my 2nd least favorite on the disc.

yekrut
08-07-2013, 03:13 PM
One of these nights

thelastresort
08-07-2013, 03:31 PM
My vote goes for One of These Nights, never been a song I've really liked anyway. Great riff and rhythm guitar tab but not in the same league as the NKIT or TITTL etc performances.

GlennLover
08-07-2013, 04:40 PM
I vote One of These Nights. It was difficult to make a choice. I'm splitting hairs here by voting for OOTN.

sad-cafe
08-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Lyin' Eyes

Sorry, it is just not one of my favorites of theirs

UK TimFan
08-07-2013, 07:17 PM

SallyGee
08-07-2013, 07:20 PM
New Kid in Town

Topkat
08-07-2013, 07:49 PM
You could join my coalition and go for Take It Easy!! By far my 2nd least favorite on the disc.

Austin, if you read the thread, you must have seen that I have already praised this performance of Take It Easy, even thought it is NOT one of my favorite Eagles songs.....This game has me really perplexed as to just what people love about a performance! You should have stuck with Lyin' Eyes, which we have been both voting for!
Now I can't believe that One of These Nights is getting a lot of votes. This is in my Top 3 songs! I just think Don sounds great, the harmonies are magnificent, & the guitar solo....ummm, LOVE IT! It sounds Perfecct to me!
I just don't under stand the HC vote out so early either...I don't seem to be on the same page with anyone in here!

I am waiting to vote!

WalshFan88
08-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Austin, if you read the thread, you must have seen that I have already praised this performance of Take It Easy, even thought it is NOT one of my favorite Eagles songs.....This game has me really perplexed as to just what people love about a performance! You should have stuck with Lyin' Eyes, which we have been both voting for!

Didn't catch that. I would have voted for LE, but the votes for HC really bothered me and so I decided, perhaps somewhat in revenge, to vote for TIE. Still, it's my 2nd least favorite performance on the disc, so it doesn't matter. I really was disappointed with HC being voted off.

I just don't under stand the HC vote out so early either...I don't seem to be on the same page with anyone in here!

Me neither. But I just don't understand it, especially this early in the game. I cannot fathom why someone would put Lyin' Eyes above Hotel California. Performance OR song. I shouldn't get so worked up, and I've done good so far - I just defend HC like it were my family member.

I am waiting to vote!

Prettymaid
08-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Ooh, our first confessed revenge vote of this game! Lol!

Austin, I feel bad that your fave was voted off. For me personally, it was third from the bottom of my list. I just didn't think this particular performance of HC was as good as others I have seen, and most of the other performances on this DVD had more passion, IMO. I saw where some here voted it off because they had seen it a number of times before, unlike the other performances.

sodascouts
08-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Austin, be careful about allowing such negative emotions to control your actions.

We've all had favorites voted out "too soon" but no song is worth giving into the urge to wield a vote as a weapon in order to hurt others.

By lashing out, you are not honoring Hotel California; you are slathering it with grime.

Topkat
08-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Austin, be careful about allowing such negative emotions to control your actions.

We've all had favorites voted out "too soon" but no song is worth giving into the urge to wield a vote as a weapon in order to hurt others.

By lashing out, you are not honoring Hotel California; you are slathering it with grime.

We're getting a little dramatic in here, Don't you think?

sodascouts
08-07-2013, 11:33 PM
If being dramatic helps people realize that vengeance isn't a constructive emotion, then I'll be dramatic.

WalshFan88
08-08-2013, 02:20 AM

LOL, ok.

FTR, GA did the same in the beginning of the game. It was no big deal.

As I said, it didn't matter to me because it was next to go after LE anyway.

But I feel others do the same, and it was no big deal so I fail to see how my vote for TIE was that big of a deal.

Glennsallnighter
08-08-2013, 03:00 AM
I didn't intend it to be a big deal Austin, more a little bit of banter. I'm sorry if it upset you!

FTR, I think they are all excellent songs- it's difficult to separate any of the songs here.

TakeMeToTheLimit
08-08-2013, 08:09 AM
I'm torn between lyin eyes and new kid in town but to save myself a smacked bum from my mum lmao cos new kid in town is her fave eagles song after desperado I'm going to vote off lyin eyes

Prettymaid
08-08-2013, 08:19 AM
I'd like to say what I like about One of These Nights before it's too late, and again, this might sound superficial to some, but I can't help it - I consider these things when voting.

I love the way Glenn practically dances in his seat while playing the keyboard. I've always loved the base in this song and its fun to see Randy's playing it. Don Felder's solo is also excellent and fun to watch, and here goes...I'm sorry, but Don Henley looks scrumptious and he gives a passionate performance.

As far as my vote, I will go back to my list.

I vote for New Kid in Town.

WalshFan88
08-08-2013, 09:37 AM
I didn't intend it to be a big deal Austin, more a little bit of banter. I'm sorry if it upset you!

No that's the thing, it didn't upset me. I was using it as a reference to it had been done before and it was no big deal. I was just saying I wasn't the only one.

Topkat
08-08-2013, 10:34 AM
I am so torn this round because I do feel OOTN must be saved, even at the cost of New Kid, but I do believe Lyin' Eyes should be the one to go...
If someone else will vote off Lyin' Eyes I will go that way, otherwse I will have to vote off New Kid to safe OOTN!!

Can anyone vote with me here to save OOTN, & vote off Lyin' Eyes'?????:headbang::headbang:
Waiting for any feed back before voting!

GlennLover
08-08-2013, 11:56 AM
I'd like to say what I like about One of These Nights before it's too late, and again, this might sound superficial to some, but I can't help it - I consider these things when voting.

I love the way Glenn practically dances in his seat while playing the keyboard.

LOL, PM! That part almost convinced me not to vote OOTN off this round. It makes me laugh. I keep seeing & hearing that in my mind often. He looks like he is really enjoying himself. It's a real feel good moment for me!

TimothyBFan
08-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Just popping in to vote real quick before I forget again.

Here you to TK----It was next on my list last round and then I rethought about it but it's time. The rest are just a bit more superior in this performance.

I vote for Lyin' Eyes.

08-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Wow - This round is unbelievable. I thought Lyin' Eyes was a sure bet to go this round; but, if I have calculated correctly, right now it is a 3-way tie between LE, OOTN, and NKIT.

Of these three, New Kid In Town is the best overall performance by the band, IMHO. To me, everything about the performance is incredible and the band looks like they are having so much fun with it. So, even though I love this performance as well, based on the way this game has gone so far, it seems like this is the one that should go ...

I cast my vote for Lyin' Eyes.

thelastresort
08-08-2013, 03:17 PM
NKIT should survive on the sole basis that Joe Walsh plays electric piano on it yet still manages to mess around like he does on guitar with all the head bobbing up and down and just staring straight into the camera lens when it films him side profile. He makes the song so fun to watch. One of the things I really love about Joe is that he could mess around like a complete idiot (in a nice way!) yet still play perfectly the instrument or song in question. Brilliant :headbang:

08-08-2013, 03:35 PM
tlr -ITA agree with you about NKIT. Given the lyrics in this song, it's not one that you expect any of the guys to be hamming around on. But, I love the how spontaneity and levity in the performance balances out the near perfect vocals and instrumentation. And the harmonies are absolutely spine-chilling to me. I absolutely adore this song, but, even if I didn't particularly like it, I believe I would still have a great appreciation for the band's stellar performance. :bow:

thelastresort
08-08-2013, 03:45 PM
I should have also added I love how piano-driven it is on the DVD. On the studio recording and for example F1 recording it's much more in the background and the guitar is a lot more prominent, but on here you can really hear it going all out, and I actually think it makes the song better.

Brooke
08-08-2013, 03:50 PM
First of all, Austin, I can't believe you would vote off one of the most rockin' performances of TIE that I've seen, beings you are more of a rockin' song lover. This version smokes! :hmm:

and

That's what I thought, just joking around.

And I am joining in the vote for Lyin' Eyes. I absolutely love the faster tempo in this version and I love the song. Always have, but something's gotta go and I like the rest better.

Topkat
08-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks Dreamer & TBS....for the support.
The next round should be interesting, as it's a tight race!:dizzy:

Voting for Lyin' Eyes

Glennsallnighter
08-08-2013, 06:10 PM

I love the way Glenn practically dances in his seat while playing the keyboard. I've always loved the base in this song and its fun to see Randy's playing it. Don Felder's solo is also excellent and fun to watch, and here goes...I'm sorry, but Don Henley looks scrumptious and he gives a passionate performance.

As far as my vote, I will go back to my list.

I must say OI agree PM! Glenn :heart: is just so divine in this one that I am completely reluctant to voting it off. And I cant vote off 'Lyin Eyes' either, it would be like betraying one of my kids!!

So I'm gonna vote off 'Take it to the limit'. Not that I don't appreciate it - I DO! But somethings gotta go!

WalshFan88
08-08-2013, 06:20 PM
First of all, Austin, I can't believe you would vote off one of the most rockin' performances of TIE that I've seen, beings you are more of a rockin' song lover. This version smokes! :hmm:

I like electric TIE, but compared to Hotel California, and the great performance of NKIT and OOTN, I feel it doesn't stack up. But I do like it more than LE or RMW. As far as TIE in general, HFO is my fav.

Honestly it was more of a strategic vote, but as I said I prefer NKIT and OOTN.

Prettymaid
08-08-2013, 07:11 PM
I've already voted for it in this round, but I'm going to put the disc in again and watch the NKIT performance. I said that if anyone pointed out specifics about a performance that I had missed, that I would watch it again, and I'm a woman of my word. ;-)

I won't be too upset if LE goes tonight. It's 5th from the top (best) on my list.

WalshFan88
08-08-2013, 07:18 PM
I've already voted for it in this round, but I'm going to put the disc in again and watch the NKIT performance. I said that if anyone pointed out specifics about a performance that I had missed, that I would watch it again, and I'm a woman of my word. ;-)

I won't be too upset if LE goes tonight. It's 5th from the top (best) on my list.

IMO NKIT is second best after Hotel California. I normally don't like smooth stuff like that but it really won me over.

sodascouts
08-08-2013, 07:51 PM
I agonized over this because I love this performance but Lyin' Eyes looks to be pretty much out regardless and I prefer the others.

sodascouts
08-08-2013, 08:00 PM
The fourth performance to be eliminated from History of the Eagles Live Disc Survivor is "Lyin' Eyes". “Lyin' Eyes”, just pull away and leave us with a smile. The tribe has spoken and it's time for you to go. The rest of the performances may return to camp.

Votes
Lyin' Eyes - 8
One of These Nights - 6
New Kid in Town - 5
Take It to the Limit - 2
Take It Easy - 1

Vote Breakdown
Lyin' Eyes - HeatherK
Lyin' Eyes - prayfordaylight
Lyin' Eyes - sad-cafe
Lyin' Eyes - TakeMeToTheLimit
Lyin' Eyes - TimothyBFan
Lyin' Eyes - Ive always been a dreamer
Lyin' Eyes - Brooke
Lyin' Eyes - Topkat
One of These Nights - RebeccaLovesEagles
One of These Nights - scottside
One of These Nights - yekrut
One of These Nights - thelastresort
One of These Nights - GlennLover
One of These Nights - sodascouts
New Kid in Town - Tiffanny Twisted
New Kid in Town - NYC Fan
New Kid in Town - SallyGee
New Kid in Town - Prettymaid
Take It to the Limit - Freypower
Take It to the Limit - Glennsallnighter
Take It Easy - WalshFan88

Performances eliminated:
Rocky Mountain Way 8/02
Best of My Love 8/04
Hotel California 8/06
Lyin' Eyes 8/08

Performances remaining:
New Kid In Town
Take It To the Limit
One of These Nights
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 5 begins now.

WalshFan88
08-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Take It Easy

I prefer the other three.

Prettymaid
08-08-2013, 08:32 PM
I can't believe we're halfway through already. I'm enjoying this game, but it's really hard.

Holding off on voting.

TimothyBFan
08-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Now it gets next to impossible. I really need to go watch this again before I vote this round. My list has a 3 way tie for 2nd place. :-(

Topkat
08-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Now it gets next to impossible. I really need to go watch this again before I vote this round. My list has a 3 way tie for 2nd place. :-(

Yes, me too. I will watch it again later, & try to base my vote on the actual performance in this concert, not just on the song itself! It's very close in this Final 4~
All the performances are stellar which makes it so hard to decide!!:eyebrow:

Prettymaid
08-09-2013, 09:57 AM
I just watched the remaining songs (couldn't watch the whole thing because of time restraints), and specifically watched NKIT for anything that might change my mind. I love all of the remaining performances, but my list stands as is.

Of all the rounds, I'm most sad that BOML is gone, as it was third best on my list, and I didn't even get to remark about what I love about it. Maybe I'll do that later. ;-)

I stand by my list and vote fot New Kid In Town.

I think that OOTN is a better performance. I love how Don's falsetto is topped by Randy's falsetto!

scottside
08-09-2013, 10:19 AM
I vote for "One Of These Nights."

prayfordaylight
08-09-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm really torn but I'm going to go with Take It Easy (barely).

SallyGee
08-09-2013, 11:24 AM
New Kid in Town

GlennLover
08-09-2013, 12:45 PM
I vote One of These Nights again.

TakeMeToTheLimit
08-09-2013, 02:00 PM
New kid in town cos the other three are on my all time fave songs list

Freypower
08-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Take It To The Limit

Tiffanny Twisted
08-09-2013, 09:47 PM
new kid in town

HeatherK
08-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Voting for One of these nights

08-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Well – Based on the last round, it appears the battle this time is going to be between One of These Nights and New Kid In Town. I went back one more time and watched the performances of these two songs very closely just to make sure I wasn’t overlooking anything. Both performances are great vocally and instrumentally, but to me, New Kid In Town is a notch better as a total band performance. The band is somewhat loose in OOTN, but not as relaxed and entertaining as they are in NKIT, IMHO.

It looks like this round is going to be extremely close, so for those that are still on the fence and want to save New Kid In Town, I encourage you to band together with me and vote for One of These Nights. Every vote will be important this round.

sad-cafe
08-10-2013, 01:17 AM
I am so torn this round because I do feel OOTN must be saved, even at the cost of New Kid, but I do believe Lyin' Eyes should be the one to go...
If someone else will vote off Lyin' Eyes I will go that way, otherwse I will have to vote off New Kid to safe OOTN!!

Can anyone vote with me here to save OOTN, & vote off Lyin' Eyes'?????:headbang::headbang:
Waiting for any feed back before voting!

I'm tryin'

sad-cafe
08-10-2013, 01:21 AM
New Kid in Town

Topkat
08-10-2013, 09:03 AM
I just watched both New Kid & One of These Nights, & although both these songs are well deserving to go forward, I feel that New Kid is just too laid back, & the harmonies are not as tight on this song.
In OOTN, Joe is back on guitar where he belongs & the harmonies are just to die for on this! All of them, Don, Randy, & Glenn all amazing! The guitar solo also brings that extra something to the song.

I have to vote off NEW KID IN TOWN

thelastresort
08-10-2013, 10:06 AM
I vote for One of these Nights

UK TimFan
08-10-2013, 10:29 AM

NYC Fan
08-10-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm voting for New Kid in Town this time.

Henleyfan
08-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Sorry for joining late to this game but I vote for New Kid In Town.

Prettymaid
08-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Sorry for joining late to this game but I vote for New Kid In Town.

Well, since you're voting for the right song... ;-)

Glennsallnighter
08-10-2013, 05:12 PM
I voted TITTL in the last round and don't really see the need to change it here. So again I vote for 'Take it to the Linit'. I like both OOTN and NKIT and will be sorry to see either go but I don't really have a preference of one over the other so find it impossible to vote for one or other of them.

TimothyBFan
08-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks Prettymaid!! Lol I'm at Menards & hubby is giving me the evil eye.

I vote for One Of These Nights.

Now you're sorry you sent me that text, aren't you? :nahnah:

Prettymaid
08-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks Prettymaid!! Lol I'm at Menards & hubby is giving me the evil eye.

Now you're sorry you sent me that text, aren't you? :nahnah:

I shouldn't have put such pressure on you. I should have waited until you were home and could think rationally. ;-)

08-10-2013, 08:04 PM
The next performance to be eliminated from History of the Eagles Live Disc Survivor is "New Kid In Town". “New Kid In Town”, you had great expectations of winning this game, but the tribe has spoken. We will never forget you ‘til somebody new comes along. Now please leave the island immediately.

Votes
New Kid In Town – 9
One of These Nights – 6
Take It To the Limit – 2
Take It Easy – 2

Vote Breakdown
New Kid In Town – Prettymaid
New Kid In Town – SallyGee
New Kid In Town – TakeMeToTheLimit
New Kid In Town – Tiffanny Twisted
New Kid In Town – sad-café
New Kid In Town – Topkat
New Kid In Town – UK Timfan
New Kid In Town – NYC Fan
New Kid In Town – Henleyfan
One of These Nights – scottside
One of These Nights – GlennLover
One of These Nights – HeatherK
One of These Nights – Ive always been a dreamer
One of These Nights – thelastresort
One of These Nights – TimothyBFan
Take It Easy – WalshFan88
Take It Easy – prayfordaylight
Take It To the Limit – Freypower
Take It To the Limit – Glennsallnighter

Performances eliminated:
Rocky Mountain Way 8/02
Best of My Love 8/04
Hotel California 8/06
Lyin' Eyes 8/08
New Kid In Town 8/10

Performances remaining:
Take It To the Limit
One of These Nights
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 6 begins now.

WalshFan88
08-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Take It Easy

08-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Wow - That plea of mine for New Kid In Town last round sure backfired like crap. Not only did I not persuade anyone to vote for it, but, apparently, I scared the previous supporters of the song from voting as well. :grin:

I'm very sorry to see it gone and I'll try not to jinx any of the remaining songs. :wink: The only good news for me is that, at least, it makes my vote this round a whole lot easier; however, I'm going to withhold my vote for now to see how this round plays out.

Topkat
08-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Wow - That plea of mine for New Kid In Town last round sure backfired like crap. Not only did I not persuade anyone to vote for it, but, apparently, I scared the previous supporters of the song from voting as well. :grin:

I'm very sorry to see it gone and I'll try not to jinx any of the remaining songs. :wink: The only good news for me is that, at least, it makes my vote this round a whole lot easier; however, I'm going to withhold my vote for now to see how this round plays out.

That has happened to me in past Survivor games, which is why I hesitate to defend a song, or try to persuade anyone to vote a certain way. It can backfire...:sad:
I will watch the Final 3 again before voting! I am scrutinizing everything about each performance, as they are all so good! It's hard to choose!

Freypower
08-11-2013, 12:35 AM
It would appear at face value that One Of These Nights has more chance of being voted off first than Take It Easy. Therefore I vote for One Of These Nights.

Topkat
08-11-2013, 07:27 AM
It would appear at face value that One Of These Nights has more chance of being voted off first than Take It Easy. Therefore I vote for One Of These Nights.

You never know in this game because all the people who voted for New Kid the last round are now open to vote for TIE... I never go by the previous round votes.
Anything can happen in here:fear:

scottside
08-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Once again, I vote for "One Of These Nights."

HeatherK
08-11-2013, 10:50 AM
My vote is for One of These Nights

Topkat
08-11-2013, 11:36 AM
I watched the Top 3 songs again, and much as I love this performance, I have to vote for TAKE IT EASY

This song is mainly written by Jackson Browne & although Glenn wrote one line of it, I guess I credit most of the song to Jackson.
It just doesn't get to me as much as the other 2 songs.

NYC Fan
08-11-2013, 11:38 AM
My vote is for One of These Nights
It's the next round where I'll be stuck...

Prettymaid
08-11-2013, 12:02 PM

Aw Dreamer, don't be so hard on yourself. I'm going to take your advice this round. ;-)

Now it's time for OOTN to go.

Prettymaid
08-11-2013, 12:14 PM
I watched the Top 3 songs again, and much as I love this performance, I have to vote for TAKE IT EASY

This song is mainly written by Jackson Browne & although Glenn wrote one line of it, I guess I credit most of the song to Jackson.

It's true that Glenn helped Jackson finish Take It Easy, but that didn't seem to matter to the Borderers who voted for it to win the Eagles Song Survivor: All Stars game!
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3250&page=24

Topkat
08-11-2013, 02:09 PM
It's true that Glenn helped Jackson finish Take It Easy, but that didn't seem to matter to the Borderers who voted for it to win the Eagles Song Survivor: All Stars game!

Well. that game was awhile ago....I don't think it's the best performance in this game, but that is still to be decided. I guess we'll see what happens.

08-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Aw Dreamer, don't be so hard on yourself. I'm going to take your advice this round. ;-)

Oh PM - don't worry ... I'm not really beatin' myself up over that. I hope my post didn't come across as whiny or bitter cause that's just so not me. That was totally meant to be a self-deprecating tongue-in-cheek post. I was actually doing an eye roll and giggling about my utter and complete failure as I wrote that. :wink: :grin:

I agree. And for those who are basing their votes on the performances of the songs, I don't believe this will be a factor for them either. For me personally, when I judge a performance, I'm considering the overall entertainment value of the song on the DVD - not which song I like better or who wrote it or who sings lead on the song. But, that's just the criteria I use.

Brooke
08-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Well, sorry I missed last round, but even though I'm sorry to see NKIT go, something had to and of what's left it was a tough choice. We were out of town for a 'sending off to college party' and just didn't make it home in time. I think I would have voted for it. I didn't actually make a list, but the game is going the way I like. So far.

I'm holding off on voting for now, and I hope I'm not so busy tomorrow at work that I forget. I even have a meeting tomorrow evening, so Pm, if I don't get in here before the deadline, .........:wink: Looks like it's gonna be close.

Prettymaid
08-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Oh PM - don't worry ... I'm not really beatin' myself up over that. I hope my post didn't come across as whiny or bitter cause that's just so not me. That was totally meant to be a self-deprecating tongue-in-cheek post. I was actually doing an eye roll and giggling about my utter and complete failure as I wrote that. :wink: :grin:

I know, Dreamer. I was just being a smart :censored:. Mine was tongue-in-cheek, too. :mrgreen:

sad-cafe
08-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Take it Easy

Topkat
08-11-2013, 05:44 PM

I agree. And for those who are basing their votes on the performances of the songs, I don't believe this will be a factor for them either. For me personally, when I judge a performance, I'm considering the overall entertainment value of the song on the DVD - not which song I like better or who wrote it or who sings lead on the song. But, that's just the criteria I use.

I am basing my vote on the performance, but these last 3 songs are all performed fantastic. There is no question that these are some of the best they have done.... I just think it's time for Take It Easy to GO. I do like the performance of OOTN better, it's just my preference. I won't try to change anyone's mind. We all have our favorites for whatever reasons.

GlennLover
08-11-2013, 05:55 PM
I vote One of These Nights.

SallyGee
08-11-2013, 06:11 PM
One of These Nights

Freypower
08-11-2013, 08:21 PM

You are entitled to your views, but I would have thought that a lot of people would regard this as one of the band's two most famous songs. So much for your earlier praise of this performance of it (page 5).

Glenn wrote more than one line. He wrote 'it's a girl my Lord/in a flat bed Ford/slowin' down to take a look at me', as far as I am aware. But he has been singing it, and has made it his own, since 1972. Does that not count?

If people are now going to vote off Take It Easy, go ahead. It doesn't change how I feel about it.

WalshFan88
08-11-2013, 09:45 PM
I just think it's time for Take It Easy to GO. I do like the performance of OOTN better, it's just my preference. I won't try to change anyone's mind. We all have our favorites for whatever reasons.

+1.. TIE is a signature song, but I prefer and feel HC is better as a song and the performance on the disc. Between TIE and OOTN, OOTN gets my vote.

TakeMeToTheLimit
08-12-2013, 06:34 AM
Decision finally made and it was a VERY tough one and I hate doing it because I love this song and its sort of like having to choose between fave kids but for the same reasons I voted off hotel california I'm gonna say take it easy

Prettymaid
08-12-2013, 07:56 AM
I've already voted, but I wanted to get a chance to write about Take It Easy. I was mesmerized by this performance because of the general feel-good vibe coming from everyone on the stage, and the specific interaction that Glenn has with the audience. More so than any other performance on the disc, the cameraman shows the audience, and boy, are they getting into it. Do they know that in just a few minutes a lucky few of them are going to be given a 3E button? :faint:

I haven't watched very many old performances by the Eagles. All I knew was the way they perform now. I was blown away by the energy coming off that stage, specifically by Glenn. I've never seen him move like he does, smile as much as he does, and be such a powerful presence on stage. My eyes were glued to him during TIE, and his eyes stayed open! When he sings, "so open up, I'm climbing in", he gives a little head shake, and when he sings, "I gotta know if your sweet love is going to save me", he points and smiles toward some lucky soul in the audience, and at that moment every woman wants to be on the receiving end of that!

Finally, when Glenn starts dancing during Joe's solo, I totally lose it.
Shake it, bake it, take it easy! Whew!

TimothyBFan
08-12-2013, 08:12 AM
You are entitled to your views, but I would have thought that a lot of people would regard this as one of the band's two most famous songs. So much for your earlier praise of this performance of it (page 5).

Glenn wrote more than one line. He wrote 'it's a girl my Lord/in a flat bed Ford/slowin' down to take a look at me', as far as I am aware. But he has been singing it, and has made it his own, since 1972. Does that not count?

If people are now going to vote off Take It Easy, go ahead. It doesn't change how I feel about it.

It's funny you should actually point out TK's critique of TIE on page 5 (thanks for actually feeling like you had to hunt all the way back there and give the page so I could bring it forward here) because, ironically, it was that critique where she pointed out a couple specifics that made me pay more attention while rewatching the last 4 songs and is the reason I voted last round for OOTN instead of TIE.

Here is what she said that really made me take notice....

One song I'm going to mention here is one that is really not one of my favorite Eagle songs, but the performance in this show was just wonderful, and that is Take It Easy!!! I just love when a singer gives a smile during a slight break in the vocal & Glenn does that here. It shows how much he is enjoying the song & it's very endearing. Also I see smiles on Don Felder & a wink from Joe. The audience is totally rocking out & the band is lovin' it. This is what I love to see in a performance. They just all seem so happy together & unified up there!! :smile: Ahhh....the good ol' days!!! :partytime:

And to be fair, I don't think she's changed her praises of TIE, she does say in this round yesterday ...

Something has to go and we're getting down to best of the best now.

I think it's time for One Of These Nights to go.

prayfordaylight
08-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Take It Easy again

sodascouts
08-12-2013, 09:30 AM
I missed voting last time thanks to a blown modem. It's good to be back but oh my gosh, NKIT got voted off?!!!! At least I know I couldn't have saved it.

Still...sadness!

Without further ado....

yekrut
08-12-2013, 11:08 AM
one of these nights

Topkat
08-12-2013, 11:13 AM
I don't feel it's necessary for me to defend any of my comments or any votes. I have praised many of the performances in this show, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I want them to WIN Survivor!

The reality is we are getting to the END & for all you last minute & stratigic voters out there. I'm going to make one last comment.

It looks like TITTL is going to make the finals, (that is unless you can get 10 people to vote it off by 8pm) The bottom line is if you want TITTL to WIN, you need to vote off TIE, because OOTN will have little chance to win it all given the amount of votes it has received.
In Survivor, you want to take a weaker player to the end, not a strong one.

Not much has been said about TITTL, & it has received a few votes, but no comments, so I am going to say something about Randy & this perfprmance, because I feel that Randy is putting his guts into this song & dellivers one of the best vocals I have ever heard. Eyes closed & totally in the "zone" on this song, I have to give it to Randy for the best vocal in this entire show. I am not even a huge fan of Randy, as most of you know that I adore Timothy, but don't ignore the bass player, because he is one fine singer!! So if any of you agree that TITTL should WIN this game, I urge you to vote off TIE.

As much as I adore the TIE performance, it is the encore, so it is getting a lot of audience feedback, & the Eagles first hit. I have to give it to Randy in this competition!

Prettymaid
08-12-2013, 12:58 PM
TK, I'm in agreement with you on your description of TITTL, but I'm saving my thoughts on that performance for the next round.

As far as your strategy on how to play this next-to-last round, you have a good point. I usually just always vote for the songs in the order I've listed them to go. Oh well, too late now - I've already voted!

UK TimFan
08-12-2013, 01:28 PM
I vote for 'Take it easy'.

thelastresort
08-12-2013, 02:25 PM
I vote Take It Easy

08-12-2013, 03:01 PM

TK – that is sound strategy for Survivor Games. As most of you know, I often vote strategically in these games and I think sometimes it makes the game more interesting. But there are many times when things are so close that I prefer to let two deserving songs just go head-to-head and see which one prevails. This is one of those times for me. I kind of figured that this game would boil down to Take It To the Limit and Take It Easy, which is fine by me because I really believe they are the best two performances in this game. Therefore, I hoping they both make it to the final round and let the folks who have been playing this game determine which is the most deserving of the win.

Now, I happen to agree with PM’s eloquent post about the merits of Take It Easy. To me, it is the best performance and it definitely deserves to make it to the final round. So, I say let Take It Easy and Take It To the Limit go to final round and duke it out for the prize.

May the best performance win.

Topkat
08-12-2013, 04:31 PM

TK – that is sound strategy for Survivor Games. As most of you know, I often vote strategically in these games and I think sometimes it makes the game more interesting. But there are many times when things are so close that I prefer to let two deserving songs just go head-to-head and see which one prevails. This is one of those times for me. I kind of figured that this game would boil down to Take It To the Limit and Take It Easy, which is fine by me because I really believe they are the best two performances in this game. Therefore, I hoping they both make it to the final round and let the folks who have been playing this game determine which is the most deserving of the win.

Now, I happen to agree with PM’s eloquent post about the merits of Take It Easy. To me, it is the best performance and it definitely deserves to make it to the final round. So, I say let Take It Easy and Take It To the Limit go to final round and duke it out for the prize.

May the best performance win.

It may be too late for my strategy to work, but in reality, that is how Survivor is played....at least from what I have seen of it.

Depending where your interests are, it's easy to say let these 2 songs duke it out, and the final decision will be by the people playing this game.
That is what will happen. I am merely pointing out a strategy that WORKS, if you use it! I am just letting the people who want TITTL to win, how to make that happen!!! Now, I guess that isn't what some want, but that is the reality of SURVIVOR!

Let the fun begin!

Brooke
08-12-2013, 04:35 PM
24302[/B]3One song I'm going to mention here is one that is really not one of my favorite Eagle songs, but the performance in this show was just wonderful, and that is Take It Easy!!! I just love when a singer gives a smile during a slight break in the vocal & Glenn does that here. It shows how much he is enjoying the song & it's very endearing. Also I see smiles on Don Felder & a wink from Joe. The audience is totally rocking out & the band is lovin' it. This is what I love to see in a performance. They just all seem so happy together & unified up there!! :) Ahhh....the good ol' days!!! :partytime:

and

I've already voted, but I wanted to get a chance to write about Take It Easy. I was mesmerized by this performance because of the general feel-good vibe coming from everyone on the stage, and the specific interaction that Glenn has with the audience. More so than any other performance on the disc, the cameraman shows the audience, and boy, are they getting into it. Do they know that in just a few minutes a lucky few of them are going to be given a 3E button? :faint:

I haven't watched very many old performances by the Eagles. All I knew was the way they perform now. I was blown away by the energy coming off that stage, specifically by Glenn. I've never seen him move like he does, smile as much as he does, and be such a powerful presence on stage. My eyes were glued to him during TIE, and his eyes stayed open! When he sings, "so open up, I'm climbing in", he gives a little head shake, and when he sings, "I gotta know if your sweet love is going to save me", he points and smiles toward some lucky soul in the audience, and at that moment every woman wants to be on the receiving end of that!

Finally, when Glenn starts dancing during Joe's solo, I totally lose it.
Shake it, bake it, take it easy! Whew!

I could not have said it better than these two posts. TIE is absolutely wonderful in this performance and I've never seen it better!

It has also always been my favorite Eagles song. When I hear those opening chords/riffs, whatever they are, a smile comes to my face and it's a good day beginning! Love!

Holding my vote for now.................

Glennsallnighter
08-12-2013, 05:16 PM
This is really down to he wire, and it is so difficult to vote anything off at this stage as they are all great performances. However, in order to save one of my all time favourite songs and performances I have to vote off 'One Of These Nights' this round.

Brooke
08-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Yup, to save my favorite Eagles song of all time and because of the rockin' performance of it on this dvd,

I vote for One of These Nights! And it's one of my top fave songs too!

08-12-2013, 08:04 PM
The next performance to be eliminated from History of the Eagles Live Disc Survivor is One of These Nights. “One of These Nights” it’s one of those crazy old nights and the tribe has turned out your lights. The full moon is calling and you must please leave the island immediately. The final two performances may now step forward for the final round ...

Take It Easy vs Take It to the Limit

Votes
One of These Nights – 13
Take It Easy – 7

Vote Breakdown
One of These Nights – Freypower
One of These Nights – scottside
One of These Nights – HeatherK
One of These Nights – NYC Fan
One of These Nights – Prettymaid
One of These Nights – GlennLover
One of These Nights – SallyGee
One of These Nights – TimothyBFan
One of These Nights – sodascouts
One of These Nights – yekrut
One of These Nights – Ive always been a dreamer
One of These Nights – Glennsallnighter
One of These Nights – Brooke
Take It Easy – WalshFan88
Take It Easy – Topkat
Take It Easy – sad-café
Take It Easy – TakeMeToTheLimit
Take It Easy – prayfordaylight
Take It Easy – UK Timfan
Take It Easy – thelastresort

Performances eliminated:
Rocky Mountain Way 8/02
Best of My Love 8/04
Hotel California 8/06
Lyin' Eyes 8/08
New Kid In Town 8/10
One of These Nights 8/12

Performances remaining:

Take It Easy vs Take It to the Limit

We’re at the last round. This round is special, so it’s done differently. We’re not going to vote for the song we want to go. We’re going to vote for the song we want to win. This is how they do it on the real show, after all.

Once again...

VOTE FOR THE SONG YOU WANT TO WIN!

08-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Well – I am very glad that these two songs are the ones that are competing in the final round because they are certainly deserving. Both of them are brilliant passionate performances as far as I’m concerned (as are all of them, truth be told). Pardon the length of this post, but I wanted to be as objective as possible and truly evaluate my favorite performances rather than my favorite songs so I put some time and thought into my evaluation criteria. Here is my justification for why Take It Easy is the best performance on the DVD …

I considered the overall band performance and entertainment value when I rated each song on the DVD. The criteria I used to judge them included such things as:

- How effective was the technique in the vocal and instrumental performances?

Of course, my answer to this is ‘superb’ and ‘extraordinary’ for both songs! The vocals and the harmonies in both are spine-tingling at times. However, as great as the vocals are in TITTL, Randy did indeed appear to struggle slightly in a few places, so this knocked down the technical performance just a smidgeon for me. In addition, I absolutely love the extended guitar solo in TIE and think it adds tremendously to the live performance of the song.

- How well was the live performance able to bring the song to life?

Both performances were amazingly effective in this regard, IMHO.

- How well did the performance style showcase the overall abilities of the band as a whole?

The live performance of TITTL was designed to showcase Randy, and deservedly so. It was only fitting that he be in the spotlight for the song. But, because of that, I give a slight edge to TIE in terms of energy level and showcasing the entire band – Glenn’s flawless lead vocals, Don and Randy’s glorious harmonies, and the awesome extended guitar solo to showcase Joe and Felder make it the quintessential ‘band’ song for me.

- Was the band emotionally engaged with the song?

I give this one a big ‘Hell Yeah’ for both performances and call it a draw.

- How well did the band connect with the audience?

Well, I thought about eliminating this question since Take It Easy is the only song on the DVD that really showcases the audience. I honestly do think the band’s interaction with the audience is a big factor in why the performance is so compelling to me. It’s too bad that we don’t get to see the audience as much in the other performances because it is possible that this does give TIE an advantage. But, the bottom line is, the band’s chemistry with the audience does add to the entertainment value of the performance, and, therefore, it needs to be considered, IMHO.

- Did the performance appear to have an emotional impact on the audience?

Although, you can hear the audience go wild when Randy hits those high notes near the end of TITTL, you actually get to see the emotional and physical impact that TIE has on the audience. Therefore, TIE comes out ahead here for the same reason as in the previous question. Synergy between the artist and the audience is always such an integral part of any live performance.

So, without further ado …

I cast my vote for TAKE IT EASY to win this game!!!

Freypower
08-12-2013, 08:18 PM
I agree with all the above & vote for Take It Easy to win.

WalshFan88
08-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Take It To The Limit for the freaking win!

In my crazy mind, it seems odd to vote for TIE when it was the Hotel California tour.... But that's just me. I don't get what's so special about this particular performance.

That said, TITTL gives me chills. Randy deserves to win this.

thelastresort
08-12-2013, 08:41 PM
I vote for Take It to the Limit to win.

I don't wish to upset any Glenn, Don H. or TBS fans on here but for me by a country mile Randy has been the best vocalist the Eagles have ever had. He is absolutely on the ball in this performance and when he nails that long note at the end to hear the crowd scream and see the huge smile on his face is just spectacular. The electric guitar part from Felder is absolutely spot on too - not too dominant, but not hidden away either. At the end of the song Glenn looks like he's having the time of his life too, never mind Randy or the audience. It is as close to perfection as I think I've ever seen in an Eagles song.

UK TimFan
08-12-2013, 08:56 PM
I vote for 'Take it to the limit'.

Topkat
08-12-2013, 08:59 PM
To be fair, the audience was not shown through most of the concert, only during Take It Easy, but I am willing to bet that the audience was held SPELLBOUND by Randy's performance...It's a completely different type of song.
Take it Easy was the encore, as far as I can tell, so yes the audience will be pumped up~

I can only say that when I watched the DVD, and this song came on... I literally stopped DEAD in my tracks to watch him, & HE DELIVERED!! It's no wonder that Glenn insisted that Randy do this song even when he didn't feel like it!! It's a show stopper!

To me this is the BEST VOCAL of the night....All the songs were of high quality, but you don't get to see a performance like Randy's these days & we never will again. Randy was what I called "in the zone" where he was totally taken into the song & brought out the real meaning of the song, because it is not about the credit cards, which became sort of a joke later on in the concerts...

The entire band is into it as well. I do believe that they are all totally into the song, as seen in their back up vocals...Glenn is smiling widely & I love him on that baby grand piano!!! :thumbsup:

TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT for the WIN!

Prettymaid
08-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Dreamer, I agree with you. Synergy between the artist and the audience is an integral part of a live performance, and if the artist can carry that feeling over to an audience watching the performance on DVD - well, that's quite a feat.

That's why I'm voting for Take It to the Limit for the win.

I'll admit, it was difficult choice. What made it even more difficult was how different these two performances are from each other. On the one hand, there is the high-energy Take It Easy, a feel good performance that showcases Glenn's assets (sorry, had to go there ;-) ) and the rest of the band's talents as well. On the other hand there's the controlled, measured performance of Randy's Take It to the Limit.

In the end though, it was one thing that tipped the scales for me...Randy's performance gave me goosebumps. Not just the first time, but every single time I've watched it. That's not easy to do. Unlike Dreamer, I did not see Randy struggle. What I was impressed with was the control he had. He holds every note just the right amount of time, and when he hits the long high note at the end he shows us the slightest glimpse of a smile, because he knows he nailed it. Heck, even Glenn acknowledges it with a smile.

So for me, it all came down to goosebumps.

Freypower
08-12-2013, 09:24 PM
:huh:
Take It To The Limit for the freaking win!

In my crazy mind, it seems odd to vote for TIE when it was the Hotel California tour.... But that's just me. I don't get what's so special about this particular performance.

That said, TITTL gives me chills. Randy deserves to win this.

We know how you feel about HC but as it did not make the final two, I fail to understand why it should be any more odd to vote for TIE than it is to vote for TITTL which is not from the HC album either.

pueblo47
08-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Take It To The Limit for the win.

Brooke
08-12-2013, 09:57 PM

We know how you feel about HC but as it did not make the final two, I fail to understand why it should be any more odd to vote for TIE than it is to vote for TITTL which is not from the HC album either.

I had the same question there. WF, maybe you can fill us in.

WalshFan88
08-12-2013, 09:58 PM

Because it's the TIE vs HC as a signature song thing... HC is for me their quintessential band song, obviously not some for others but I have trouble voting for TIE because it was the Hotel California tour and HC should have won. Just the way I process things. I can't really explain it any better than that. I like to match things, and HC on HC tour, etc... NKIT would have got my vote, but seeing it isn't here I had to vote for my 2nd remaining favorite.

sad-cafe
08-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Take it To The Limit

for the win!

HeatherK
08-12-2013, 10:41 PM
I vote for Take it to the Limit for the win. This may be my favorite Eagles song overall, and this performance just highlights it perfectly.

NYC Fan
08-12-2013, 11:02 PM
I think both performances are spectacular. I knew these would be the final two to choose from, and have been thinking about which performance I'd eventually choose. I took one last look to make my final decision. I love everything about Randy's performance, and the vocals are amazing. It is truly an incredible moment.

But in terms of the whole band and the audience being engaged, and just the sheer energy and joy of the moment, I have to vote for Take it Easy to win. I just loved it. They are having so much fun, and that's what did it for me.

Freypower
08-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Because it's the TIE vs HC as a signature song thing... HC is for me their quintessential band song, obviously not some for others but I have trouble voting for TIE because it was the Hotel California tour and HC should have won. Just the way I process things. I can't really explain it any better than that. I like to match things, and HC on HC tour, etc... NKIT would have got my vote, but seeing it isn't here I had to vote for my 2nd remaining favorite.

HC should have won in your opinion.

Just because it was the HC tour does not automatically mean that HC had to be the best performed song. And the same would have applied to NKIT in this game if it had survived until the end. It did not have any intrinsic superiority just because this was the first tour it was performed on. Sorry, but I can't relate to that at all, just as I can't seem to relate to many things these days.

WalshFan88
08-12-2013, 11:46 PM
HC should have won in your opinion.

Perhaps, but it is widely accepted as their best song, so I'm not alone in that. I honestly don't believe they would be as big as they are now without it.

Just because it was the HC tour does not automatically mean that HC had to be the best performed song. And the same would have applied to NKIT in this game if it had survived until the end. It did not have any intrinsic superiority just because this was the first tour it was performed on. Sorry, but I can't relate to that at all, just as I can't seem to relate to many things these days.

To each his/her own.

Freypower
08-12-2013, 11:53 PM
I apologise for the above deletion in my previous post which I have now restored, but I will say something I have said before, which is that regardless of how legendary etc etc Hotel California is, it is not compulsory for it to be anyone's favourite Eagles song.

TakeMeToTheLimit
08-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Sorry randy/take it to the limit love you but take it easy for the win my fave ever performance of this song :)

TakeMeToTheLimit
08-12-2013, 11:59 PM
I apologise for the above deletion in my previous post which I have now restored, but I will say something I have said before, which is that regardless of how legendary etc etc Hotel California is, it is not compulsory for it to be anyone's favourite Eagles song. couldnt have put that better myself it gets me that so many people assume that since a song is a bands signature song as is the case with hotel california that it is automatically their best song, as famous legendary and incredible as hotel california is it isnt even my fave song on the album for me thats life in the fast lane

WalshFan88
08-13-2013, 12:05 AM
For me, I go for the hits 9 times out of 10 when I listen to an artist's material... I love classic rock radio and I go for the hits. They are the ones I remember and the ones I love.

If I like a song, I'll never tire of hearing it. Such is the case with HC among many others. I could play it 24/7/365, and honestly still crave to hear it. It's just the way I'm wired.

Again, as I said before - to each his own.

NYC Fan
08-13-2013, 12:29 AM
I apologise for the above deletion in my previous post which I have now restored, but I will say something I have said before, which is that regardless of how legendary etc etc Hotel California is, it is not compulsory for it to be anyone's favourite Eagles song.

Agree completely. Just as I don't think Take it Easy has to be anyone's favorite song, just because I happen to think of it as the quintessential Eagles song.

It's funny: maybe it's because I'm old and I actually remember when Hotel California came out and it was a new song; but in my mind, I think of Take it Easy as being their signature song. It may not be my absolute favorite, but it's "The" Eagles song that I would name when I think of their sound.

And that's why Baskin Robbins has so many flavors...

Prettymaid
08-13-2013, 07:35 AM
The fun thing about this game though, was to try to put your favorite aside and watch the performances and vote on the basis of how the song was performed. What did they do onstage that engaged you more than any of the other performances? It's hard to separate the two. I don't have one favorite Eagles song; several of these songs are my favorites. But it was an interesting experiment for me to pick a favorite just based on the way it was performed, and it's nice to see that many of you felt the same way.

TimothyBFan
08-13-2013, 08:16 AM
First, I'm very glad that these are the final 2 songs, both are very well deserving.

And, as PM put above, it was interesting to try to put how I feel about the songs aside and try to be impartial to my faves.

I found my self bouncing around to Take It Easy with a big smile on my face. How can you NOT feel happy while watching this performance of it. BUT TITTL was an awe inspiring experience. From the time it began to that last high note, I had goosebumps. Randy's voice is beyond perfection and as someone here said, it's no wonder Glenn was so insistent in having Randy sing it every night. Someone also said that they felt Randy was the best vocalist the Eagles have ever had---I'd tend to agree if all his performances were as perfect as this one. It's just a shame that it couldn't have continued longer.

I guess I'm lucky that I get to vote not only for my favorite performance to win but for my favorite Eagle song of all time.

I vote for Take It To The Limit for the win, by a LONNNNNNGGGG SHOT!!!!!!!

Topkat
08-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Sorry randy/take it to the limit love you but take it easy for the win my fave ever performance of this song :)

I find your vote pretty interesting, considering last round you voted Take It Easy OUT???? I just don't get that one!!:confused:

scottside
08-13-2013, 09:00 AM
I vote for "Take It Easy" for the win. This is one of the best live versions ever of this song, in my opinion.

prayfordaylight
08-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Losing OOTN makes me sad but c'est la vie.

Take It To The Limit for the win!

TakeMeToTheLimit
08-13-2013, 09:39 AM
I find your vote pretty interesting, considering last round you voted Take It Easy OUT???? I just don't get that one!!:confused: its just I recently watched the dvd again and this time enjoyed take it easy more than take it to the limit and I watched hell freezes over ,live in new zealand,farewell 1 and then the history of the eagles concert dvd again cos wanted to see which take it easy I enjoyed best and I really loved it on the H.O.T.E concert dvd

TakeMeToTheLimit
08-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Losing OOTN makes me sad but c'est la vie.

Take It To The Limit for the win! I totally agree about losing one of these nights being sad as it is possibly not only my fave eagles song but my fave song EVER because they are so many parts to the song that I love and I was hoping for it to win but as you said c'est la vie

TakeMeToTheLimit
08-13-2013, 09:53 AM
I should maybe be pulling for my name sake to get the win lol but either way we have a deserving winner two of my fave songs which I love :)

Brooke
08-13-2013, 10:15 AM
TAKE IT EASY FOR THE WIN!
This performance is absolutely amazing. My favorite Eagles song of all time! I know it's the best band performance I've ever seen! All the guys are in to it, the crowd is in to it, Glenn's vocal is fabulous and so are the harmonies! I LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! I so wished I was in that crowd!

For me, Take It Easy is also one of their signature songs and if they would ever quit doing it at their concerts, it would be a travesty! Yes, so is HC, but the performance of it in this dvd just did not measure up to the final three songs. Way too much band interaction with those over HC.

I also love TITTL and the performance of it here, and I, too, understand why Glenn insisted that Randy do it at their shows and was miffed when he wanted to refuse. He did do an awesome job here. But there wasn't as much band interaction during it as there is in TIE. It pretty much highlighted just Randy.

Again, TAKE IT EASY FOR THE WIN! :partytime:

Topkat
08-13-2013, 10:40 AM
As for Take it Easy...well Frankly, This is the ENCORE song, so they better be into it! I like this much better than the way it is performed these days, because the band just seems really tired of the song.

To me Take it to the Limit is sung with so much feeling & depth here. The degree of difficulty is just beyond comparison on these 2 songs. Take it Easy is a feel good type of song, but there is no real emotion in this song, & it doesn't do much for me.

To me the quintessential Eagles song is Hotel California....so for me this was a pretty easy choice! No Contest!

EagleLady
08-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Take it Easy

sodascouts
08-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Both are fantastic and deserve to be the final two. After much agonizing, I vote:

TAKE IT EASY FOR THE WIN!

yekrut
08-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Take it Easy to Win

SallyGee
08-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Take It Easy for the win

08-13-2013, 05:32 PM
To me Take it to the Limit is sung with so much feeling & depth here. The degree of difficulty is just beyond comparison on these 2 songs. Take it Easy is a feel good type of song, but there is no real emotion in this song, & it doesn't do much for me.

I’m going to paraphrase a comment that you made earlier to another member on the previous page of this thread …

‘I find your comments pretty interesting, considering your previous remarks about Take It Easy???? I just don't get that one!! :confused: ’

I really don't wish to be argumentative here, but contradictions like these invite criticism and lend very little credibility to your opinion. I was just flabbergasted at your remarks and I can only guess you got so overzealous in your defense of TITTL that it clouded your ability to see the emotion that both the band and the audience exude in the TIE performance. The word ‘goose bumps’ has been used a lot here, and I got goose bumps from both performances. Especially from the moment the band breaks in to those spine-chilling harmonies, ‘I gotta know if your sweet love is gonna SAAAVVVEE me’ in TIE, I am completely mesmerized watching the incredible synergy between the elated audience and this glorious band in its prime. It definitely stirs lots of emotions in me … just sayin’.

I said last round that I was hoping these two songs could ‘duke it out’ for the top prize, and that is exactly what we’re getting here. The vote can’t get any closer and I love that everyone is so passionate about these performances as long as they keep things in perspective. Although, Take It Easy is my personal favorite, I’m really not overly invested in which song comes out on top. I’m guessing most folks here would agree that no matter which song ends up with the most votes, there are no real losers here. They are both amazingly exhilarating performances on a DVD that is packed full of amazing performances.

Prettymaid
08-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Well said, Dreamer. Currently, the two performances are neck and neck, but I think there are a couple of voters left, and in my assessment, it doesn't look good for TITTL. ;-) But you never know...

I've done everything I can to explain my feelings about both of these songs, and although I voted for TITTL, I too am not overly invested in which song wins. To me, we're all winners because the Eagles put out this great disc and we get to watch these performances whenever we want!

NYC Fan
08-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Dreamer and PM-

Great points. I will be happy for either song to win, as they are both fabulous performances, and I had such a tough time choosing. And yes, aren't we lucky to finally have these on DVD!

GlennLover
08-13-2013, 09:03 PM
I love both performances & I had a difficult time justifying choosing one over the other. However, for me, the energy of the band & the interaction with the audience gives TIE a slight edge. Glenn & Joe in particular are really enjoying the performance. Therefore -

I vote Take It Easy for the win

Brooke
08-14-2013, 10:05 AM
I love both performances & I had a difficult time justifying choosing one over the other. However, for me, the energy of the band & the interaction with the audience gives TIE a slight edge. Glenn & Joe in particular are really enjoying the performance. Therefore -

I vote Take It Easy for the win

I really didn't have a difficult time at all deciding which band performance was the best and I do love both of these, but TIE is all out rockin' fun for everyone here! I've never seen them as a whole enjoy themselves so much than they do here! Everyone is smiling and having a great time! Love it! :inlove:

Dang, I sure wish I could have been at this show! I did go to one a few months later, but I don't remember much! :wink:

Glennsallnighter
08-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Well for me there is no question.

I vote for that absolute classic.

TAKE IT EASY

for the win!