PDA

View Full Version : Eagles: Solo vs. Band

Prettymaid
08-24-2013, 10:58 AM
It seems as if now more so than ever before, Borderers have sectioned off into groups that represent a favorite band member, so my question is this: All things being equal, would you rather see/hear your favorite Eagle solo or with the band?

This is meant to be fun. There is no right or wrong answer! You can vote above!

WalshFan88
08-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Both! :hilarious:

Honestly though, it depends on the song, strangely enough... I'd prefer to hear Lifes Been Good with the band, it's better for me. But songs like Rocky Mountain Way or Boys Of Summer, etc I'd probably prefer solo. LBG is the exception to the rule, I want to hear it with the band.

sodascouts
08-24-2013, 01:21 PM
It's hard to say. They both have their virtues. I, for one, am not so focused on a favorite that I scorn the notion of seeing him share the limelight with bandmates and begrudge any moment where he is not front and center. The Eagles have such a strong song catalog and impeccable harmonies that they give a powerhouse show from beginning to end, and it's twice the length of a solo show. That said, I love the intimacy of a solo performance and hearing those great solo songs that you'd never hear with the Eagles.

I therefore choose a third option: "It depends."

Ive always been a dreamer
08-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Wow, PM. You sure are taxing my brain on this nice, sunny Saturday afternoon. Since I am, first and foremost, an Eagles fan, I am going to have to vote that I'd rather see the entire band. I guess, more is always better for me in this case.

HOWEVER ... having said that, I have to say that I immensely enjoy seeing each of the guys solo as well - they are all so wonderful in their own unique ways. You get special moments and a glimpse of their personality that you never get to experience in an Eagles show. Honestly, as odd as it may seem, one of my very favorite solo experiences was at The Roxy when I saw Glenn perform with his son, Deacon. Even though it was only a 5-song set, it was such a unique, personal, and intimate experience. I will always be thankful that I was fortunate enough to see it.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-24-2013, 03:11 PM
I don't know!!!! I love love love the Eagles and two years ago this would have been a no-brainer, Eagles all the way. Then After Hours came out and there is no way to hear that amazing music with the Eagles, only Glenn as a solo act. My first answer is I'll take any of them however I can get them. The rest...I just don't know, I'll need to think about it.

I've been listening to a lot of the Eagles because that's the tour that's happening, but this was such an awful week at work that a glass of red and a listen to AH was necessary last night. So today my answer is probably Glenn solo. Tomorrow I might say the Eagles. Who knows?

ETA: Also, I have DVDs and even HOTE to give me a visual Eagles fix. Nothing recent from Mr. Frey, so it makes me lean in the direction of solo.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Undecided. I will take my
"Fix" anyway I can get it
I have enjoyed the eagles band and each one solo

Freypower
08-24-2013, 09:17 PM
The answer for me at the moment is solo. As VA said, I have DVDs & Blu Rays of the Eagles but no visual record of the remarkable solo shows I have seen since 2011.

TimothyBFan
08-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Looks as if I might be the odd one here (imagine that) but I don't even have to think about it- the whole group all the way.

MaryCalifornia
08-25-2013, 12:14 AM
I was waiting for another Tim fan to post first. Agree with TBF - my favorite is Tim on stage with the Eagles. When he sings on TIE his voice sounds awesome - I wish he had at least one rockin' song to sing lead on, one in a lower key that is not so hard to sing, and more songs in general, but I still prefer him with the band. I love it when he is singing and Don and Glenn are backing him. I love seeing him play HC and all of the hits.

Glennsallnighter
08-25-2013, 04:29 AM
For me, given the choice. It's definitely Glenn :heart: solo. I loved the intimacy of the smaller venues when I saw him solo, and I think what he says is far less scripted than when he is with the Eagles. I also love hearing songs that I know I have never heard live before or possibly ever will again.

Don't get me wrong, I love going to see the Eagles too, they put on a fabulous show and are second to none but just Glenn :heart: does it for me.

Ive always been a dreamer
08-26-2013, 01:35 AM
Wow - I have to admit, I'm pretty surprised at how close this poll is so far. I honestly thought the overwhelming majority of folks would prefer seeing the band, but that's definitely not the case so far.

Outlawman13
08-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Honestly, I would love to see the whole band play together!!!! They are super amazing together and have their own unique talents for sure. LOL then again, I really want to see them perform solo!!! But I vote for seeing the whole band

Brooke
08-26-2013, 03:24 PM
I had to vote for seeing the Eagles band because it's just always been that way! I've loved the band since the beginning and didn't know who they were individually for a long time so.....I do love each one on their own, but if I had to choose it would be to see the band.

RebeccaLovesEagles
08-26-2013, 10:43 PM
I voted for band:band: but I like seeing them solo too. I've got to see Don F twice and Timothy once. They were both great. It was nice to see Timothy get to sing lead on all the songs :) My problem is I still haven't got to see Glenn, Joe, or Don H solo; I love to see both but especially Don who I loved solo long before I discovered the Eagles but I hadn't started doing concerts yet :). I agree with you guys the smaller venues re a great part of solo concerts, I loved being with 5 feet of Timothy and Don Felder.

cricrichan
09-03-2013, 04:29 AM
At the moment I would prefer seeing the whole band :D ... still waiting for an Italian date of the HOTE Tour ... :pray:

NYC Fan
09-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Definitely the whole band for me. I've seen Don solo and loved the shows, but, for me anyway, there is nothing like seeing them all on one stage singing and playing together.

Prettymaid
09-03-2013, 10:03 PM
I just realized that I never voted! Lol!

For me there is no question. I would much rather see the Eagles than a solo show. Now granted, that's pretty easy for me to say at this point. I've only seen Joe and Timothy solo, so I have yet to see Glenn or Don. But I cannot imagine wanting to see one of them more than all of them. I just can't. :shrug:

outontheborder
09-05-2013, 11:47 AM
I have to go for the whole band too. Although their solo stuff is great, it's all of the Eagles stuff that made me love them.

And it would also be an awesome experience!

moonlight74
09-08-2013, 02:06 PM
There was this Eagles concert to be held in Albuquerque in late October 1976 that I had to go see with a friend. We caught the last flight to New Mexico from Omaha on a 10 seater commuter flight. We barely made it to the plane running from the gate exit across the tarmac to the plane (could do that back then). After about 20 min. in the air the Pilot looks at the co-pilot and said 'I think we have enough fuel to fly around the thunderstorm and make a landing in Santa Fe.'
We missed the concert.
About a week later I saw them in Houston @ the old Summit civic center-this is the concert people mistakenly confuse with another concert held in Houston summer1977.
http://rockinhouston.com/venues/summit-/58/
click: Performers
click: Eagles http://rockinhouston.com/performers/eagles/287/
Scroll down to 1976

Well that's when I saw Meisner do Take It To The Limit, the version posted on youtube. I'm still not over it. After Meisner went solo I knew he had the stuff.

sodascouts
09-08-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm glad we have someone who was there confirming that the Houston filmed concert occurred in 1976. I've always dated it that way as have many other traders, but we often get people "correcting" us and insisting it was 1977.

Prettymaid
09-08-2013, 03:48 PM
ML, your sig phrase certainly holds true with your last post. I'm sure it's sweet every time you go back in time to that moment when you got to hear Randy sing TITTL.

Scotty The Rebel
09-10-2013, 12:22 AM
I would prefer to see The Eagles as a whole then individually.

Houston Baby
09-10-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm glad we have someone who was there confirming that the Houston filmed concert occurred in 1976. I've always dated it that way as have many other traders, but we often get people "correcting" us and insisting it was 1977.

It was definitely the November 6th 1976 one that was filmed at the Summit because it was the first time I saw Joe Walsh perform. I was 3rd row right in front of Joe. I have an old journal where I wrote down what they were wearing & that it was Glenn's birthday. I had the ticket stub taped to the journal entry. There was stuff that I wrote down that I had totally forgot about until I read it again. ;-)

sodascouts
09-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Small world!

Houston Baby
09-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Really! How funny!
I must say it was one of the most exciting nights of my life up until then!:blueblob: