PDA

View Full Version : Joe and Steuart

shunlvswx
10-13-2013, 05:53 PM
I was wondering about this. Did Joe take over as lead guitarist (or chief guitarist) spot that Don F held before he left or that went to Steuart. From what I've seen in video clips, Steuart is doing all of Don's parts. I also notice Steuart stands closer to the guys now. He was soo far away from them.

I remembered Glenn saying the Fairwell 1 DVD that he (Joe)was now our chief guitarist of the band. I wonder if he still is.

Freypower
10-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Joe is the lead guitarist. Steuart is not an official member of the band. He maybe stands closer to them than he used to but his status has not changed.

I never saw Felder referred to as lead guitarist. He & Joe had equal status. In fact even before Joe joined, I don't believe Felder was ever referred to as 'lead guitarist'.

WalshFan88
10-13-2013, 06:43 PM
I've always seen Don and Joe as "co-lead guitarists" or guitar duo although that's probably not the official name.

Joe still plays Joe's parts, and Stu plays DF's parts. Stu (and for that matter, DF) is musically-speaking a lead guitarist, meaning he plays solos and isn't titled (again, by music terms) a rhythm guitarist, where as Glenn would be. They both play both lead and rhythm, but one does more of the other, hence the title. That said in the band, I'm not sure what they are billed as.

The only time I've heard Joe referred to as the lead guitarist is in the F1 Interviews on the disc when Glenn says "Joe is the lead guitar player in our band now".

shunlvswx
10-13-2013, 07:39 PM
I remembered Glenn saying that. That's why I wonder if he still is. Its like lead guitarist (or chief like Glenn said in Farewell 1 DVD) roll went to Joe. That's why I thought Don F was the lead guitarist.

Freypower
10-13-2013, 08:18 PM
I remembered Glenn saying that. That's why I wonder if he still is. Its like lead guitarist (or chief like Glenn said in Farewell 1 DVD) roll went to Joe. That's why I thought Don F was the lead guitarist.

As has been explained, they had two lead guitarists before Felder was fired. As Joe was already lead guitarist he could not become it. Glenn was just saying that that is what he is.

Prettymaid
10-14-2013, 08:59 AM
I don't think 'lead' guitarist means 'number one guitarist' like in high school band when you're 'first chair'. Lead just implies the style or role of guitar playing. As WF said, there's lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass guitar, etc...

shunlvswx
10-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Oh ok. I have to admit. I always thought the lead guitarist was the number 1 guitarist in the band or the chief guitar player. The one that's always doing the solo, but like WF said Don (and now Steuart) and Joe share leads. I think Joe has took some of Don F's leads too. I could be wrong.

I think I got myself confuse. LOL

WalshFan88
10-14-2013, 09:25 AM
I don't think 'lead' guitarist means 'number one guitarist' like in high school band when you're 'first chair'. Lead just implies the style or role of guitar playing. As WF said, there's lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass guitar, etc...

Exactly. Lead doesn't mean chief or "main" or #1. It refers to the style of guitar playing. The guy who does most of the soloing and fills is the lead guitarist, the guy doing most of the rhythm and chords is the rhythm guitarist.

Keith Richards is an example of a rhythm guitarist, he plays lead, but not as much as Ronnie Wood and he plays more chordal stuff. Angus Young is a lead guitar player, Malcolm Young is a rhythm guitar player.

Now in a trio, where there is only one guitarist, it's just "guitarist". Like in Led Zeppelin (Jimmy Page). They have to do both. But in a band with two or more guitarists, that's when those titles become different in musical terms anyway.

WalshFan88
10-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Oh ok. I have to admit. I always thought the lead guitarist was the number 1 guitarist in the band or the chief guitar player. The one that's always doing the solo, but like WF said Don (and now Steuart) and Joe share leads. I think Joe has took some of Don F's leads too. I could be wrong.

I think I got myself confuse. LOL

I think perhaps Glenn meant "chief" in that instance, I can't remember his exact words but I took it to mean he's the main player, but Joe by definition musically is a lead player.

I don't recall Joe playing DF's parts but I'm sure I could be wrong. I do know that Stu took on a lot of Bernie's parts like in PEF, where as Joe never played that lead. Because Stu is a country-style guitar player and can pull off the pedal steel licks and such. Where as Joe always played Bernie's parts in TIE, for example.

shunlvswx
10-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks WF. I think I had gotten myself confuse with the difference between lead and main guitar player rolls. I guess I meant the main player or the boss of the other guitarist players who does majority of the solos. Does that make a little sense?

I just went back to the DVD. He says(exact words) "he's the chief guitar player. He's the lead guitar player in our band now." I guess that's where I got the lead guitar player from. I guess he wasn't counting Steuart yet as that since he had just started playing in the band and he wasn't an official Eagle.

Prettymaid
10-14-2013, 11:10 AM
And he's still not an official Eagle.

shunlvswx
10-14-2013, 04:10 PM
True. I guess he probably we never become an "official" Eagle.

Freypower
10-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Glenn mentions Steuart in HOTE. He says 'when we got him in the band, it was a shot in the arm'. Steuart himself says 'I'm not an Eagle. I don't know what that's like'.

I always knew what lead guitar meant as opposed to rhythm guitar. I certainly never thought it meant the lead guitarist told the other guitarist/s what to do.

WalshFan88
10-14-2013, 04:35 PM
I always knew what lead guitar meant as opposed to rhythm guitar. I certainly never thought it meant the lead guitarist told the other guitarist/s what to do.

I know. I was referring to the OP.

shunlvswx
10-14-2013, 04:44 PM
I think I word it wrong. Like maybe not the boss, but the guy who do the majority of the solos.

Thanks everybody for answering my question. You can have confuse I was about what is what. I'm soo sorry about the confusion. I'm glad I did put up this post.