PDA

View Full Version : 2013 RNR Hall of Fame Nominees

shunlvswx
10-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Linda's name is on the ballot to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next year.

Fingers crossed that she is one of the five selected to be inducted next year.

My five pick that I think that should be inducted next year: Linda, Peter Gabriel, Hall & Oates, Kiss and Nirvana. If it was 6, I say LL Cool J even though he's a rapper. Oh well shouldn't they change the name because not everybody rock and rollers.

http://rockhall.com/inductees/

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20745988,00.html

WalshFan88
10-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Awesome. She definitely deserves it.

Yes and KISS is way overdue for the RnRHOF. I really don't "get" that place and the way they vote them in. I really don't have any opinions either way on the others but KISS definitely. Say what you want about their depth or musicality, but they have inspired so many musicians that we all love and they do give fans their money's worth at a show, they are great entertainers in a rock n' roll form, and for that they get my vote. So glad Heart and RUSH got in last year, and GNR the year before that.

And yes, there should be a name change as they aren't all rock n' rollers in there. To me there is a difference between rock n' roll, and rock/pop/rap, etc. There are a LOT of rock bands out there now but not very many rock n' ROLL bands, they seem to forget that part and confuse the two. It's about the groove and most modern rock is a huge turnoff for me. Buckcherry is a great example of a modern day rock n' roll band who is old school and gets the importance of the roll.

NYC Fan
10-16-2013, 11:18 AM
I certainly hope that Linda makes it in. She deserves it.

i'd love to see The Replacements get in as well, but doubt that will happen...

Henley Honey
10-16-2013, 01:06 PM
She is certainly deserving and it's way overdue, but I wonder if she'll accept the nomination. She's said in recent interviews that she was never in it for the accolades or awards. It was about the music. Hmmmm.

If she does accept and gets in, I wonder who will do the induction???

Brooke
10-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Good question, HH! Could be someone we know rather well!

Congrats to her, she deserves it for sure!

Outlawman13
10-16-2013, 01:43 PM
She most definitely deserves to be in the RNR HOF!!!! Long time over due!!! Her singing is out of this world!!!

Prettymaid
10-16-2013, 02:25 PM
I'd like to see the R&R HOF someday. I really don't pay any attention to who gets in and who's not in, but that interview when Glenn and Don both spoke about Linda not being in did strike a chord with me. Nice to see her nominated finally.

thelastresort
10-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Glad to see her up for such a well-known award (regardless of what you think of RRHOF, I personally dislike the concept) - amazing singer and without doubt one of the best to come out of the whole 60s / 70s country-rock California set up. Of course without her their may never have been the Eagles (as we know them at least) at all!

Also good to see Yes and Deep Purple up for it. The former I think are the greatest prog rock band ever and DP are right up there with the Eagles, The Who and Black Sabbath for me as one of the best ever.

How many get inducted from that shortlist?

shunlvswx
10-16-2013, 03:57 PM
I read only 5 will be inducted from that list.

Witchy Woman
10-16-2013, 04:47 PM
I gotta go with Linda, Kiss, NWA, Deep Purple, and Nirvana. I am dismayed that once again Bon Jovi has been left off the ballot. I guess not kissing Jann Wenner's ass has not worked out well for them.

Freypower
10-16-2013, 05:48 PM
So Dire Straits have been ignored yet again. Sigh.

As far as what it is called it is too late to rename it and if it were to be renamed, what on earth could it be called? The Modern Music Hall of Fame?

Apart from Ronstadt I would have Deep Purple, Yes, Cat Stevens & Nirvana, although Nirvana will be inducted with the inevitability of night following day. Gabriel would already be in there with Genesis.

I am not going to enter into any debates about Kiss, but I have not the slightest idea who they have influenced.

GlennLover
10-16-2013, 06:31 PM
My only comment is that it is anout time that Linda has been nominated & fingers crossed that she gets in!

thelastresort
10-16-2013, 07:03 PM

As far as what it is called it is too late to rename it and if it were to be renamed, what on earth could it be called? The Modern Music Hall of Fame?

Apart from Ronstadt I would have Deep Purple, Yes, Cat Stevens & Nirvana, although Nirvana will be inducted with the inevitability of night following day. Gabriel would already be in there with Genesis.

I am not going to enter into any debates about Kiss, but I have not the slightest idea who they have influenced.

There are loads of decent bands that have been overlooked (in many cases never even nominated) - Chicago, Def Leppard, EL&P, Gram Parsons, The Jam, Jethro Dull, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Procol Harum, Sonic Youth, Steppenwolf, T-Rex, Thin Lizzy in addition to the rest mentioned on here... I agree with you fully, Dire Straits are as important and 'big' as 90% of the current residents of it. To have someone like Mark Knopfler not in there is absolutely incredible.

This is Nirvana's first valid year (25 years after first album I think), and I'll bet my life savings they'll get in, sadly at the expense of someone probably a lot more deserving, but tbf they did a lot to define grunge rock / metal. I believe Genesis was Peter Gabriel, they are absolutely shocking music-wise without him. You can be inducted unlimited times afaik - Clapton's in thrice as solo, Cream and Yardbirds.

KISS started I think one of the worst things about rock / metal - 100% image-based music. If they didn't prance about on stage in make up and firebreath and use zipwires and the rest of it they'd have been another run of the mill 80's band. A truly deserving band to be in the RRHOF for me would be bands like Eagles, LZ, Cream, Dire Straits, Black Sabbath and all those sort of bands - the ones who defined music and dominated and molded their genre.

Prettymaid
10-16-2013, 07:03 PM

Cat Stevens!!!!?????!!!!!! :drool: OMG, don't get me started!!!!

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/Cat%20Stevens/CatStevens1.jpg

Whew! We now return to our regularly scheduled thread.

Freypower
10-16-2013, 07:27 PM
There are loads of decent bands that have been overlooked (in many cases never even nominated) - Chicago, Def Leppard, EL&P, Gram Parsons, The Jam, Jethro Dull, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Procol Harum, Sonic Youth, Steppenwolf, T-Rex, Thin Lizzy in addition to the rest mentioned on here... I agree with you fully, Dire Straits are as important and 'big' as 90% of the current residents of it. To have someone like Mark Knopfler not in there is absolutely incredible.

This is Nirvana's first valid year (25 years after first album I think), and I'll bet my life savings they'll get in, sadly at the expense of someone probably a lot more deserving, but tbf they did a lot to define grunge rock / metal. I believe Genesis was Peter Gabriel, they are absolutely shocking music-wise without him. You can be inducted unlimited times afaik - Clapton's in thrice as solo, Cream and Yardbirds.

KISS started I think one of the worst things about rock / metal - 100% image-based music. If they didn't prance about on stage in make up and firebreath and use zipwires and the rest of it they'd have been another run of the mill 80's band. A truly deserving band to be in the RRHOF for me would be bands like Eagles, LZ, Cream, Dire Straits, Black Sabbath and all those sort of bands - the ones who defined music and dominated and molded their genre.

Regarding Genesis I have never even heard the Gabriel era stuff. I really like the albums Duke, Genesis, Invisible Touch & We Can't Dance, commercial though they are. I am well aware that a lot of 'real' Genesis fans don't like those albums. I love Gabriel's solo work & saw him live on the Us tour, but if he's going to be in the HOF, so should Phil Collins, even if, again, his solo work is more commercial sounding than Gabriel's.

I will just have to wait & hope that one day Dire Straits'/Knopfler will receive the recognition they deserve, although I know Knopfler will never get in there for his solo work.

WalshFan88
10-16-2013, 08:12 PM

I agree with some of these. Def Leppard, Gram Parsons, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Steppenwolf, T-Rex, Thin Lizzy, etc. Not a big fan of prog rock except RUSH and even I'm picky on their stuff.

I totally disagree with this part. They are every bit as deserving. Image is a big part of rock n' roll to me. If they just came out in plain clothes, with a plain stage, and just played and sang I wouldn't be near as happy as say, AC/DC with Angus' stage antics, or Cheap Trick with the 12 string bass and 5 neck guitar. I love stage image and use of effects. I think we have a thread on that from years past on here where I go into more detail.

Their songs aren't very deep but they sure do rock and they are great party tunes. Perhaps THE rock n' roll anthem, "Rock N' Roll All Night" - is one that everyone knows and loves and can't help but to move to.

Gene is a polarizing figure, but I like him. Paul is Paul. I prefer Gene, but it isn't KISS without Paul. Gene and Paul of KISS are like the Don and Glenn of the Eagles.

IMO, KISS is a HUGE part of RnR history, for better or worse, and they are more deserving than some other bands nominated IMO, and certainly more than some who have made it in (Blondie, fer christ sakes?!). But yeah, they have inspired a lot of our favorite musicians to take up music, so at the very least - we have to give them props for that.

Freypower
10-16-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm sorry, Austin, but you say Kiss have inspired many of 'our' favourite musicians to take up music. To whom do you refer? Who have they inspired?

You think Kiss are more deserving of being in the HOF than Blondie. The only Kiss song I have any time for is Rock'n'Roll All Night, as opposed to Blondie's Heart Of Glass, Atomic, Call Me, Rip Her To Shreds, Union City Blue & even songs I don't like as much like The Tide Is High or Rapture. They were a power pop band (they weren't New Wave as is often claimed) but I would rather listen to them than Kiss any day.

Also I could not disagree more that Rock & Roll All Night is THE rock anthem as opposed to absolutely anything by Led Zeppelin but I have now said as much as I wish to say & we will have to agree to disagree.

WalshFan88
10-16-2013, 09:32 PM
I'm sorry, Austin, but you say Kiss have inspired many of 'our' favourite musicians to take up music. To whom do you refer? Who have they inspired?

You think Kiss are more deserving of being in the HOF than Blondie. The only Kiss song I have any time for is Rock'n'Roll All Night, as opposed to Blondie's Heart Of Glass, Atomic, Call Me, Rip Her To Shreds, Union City Blue & even songs I don't like as much like The Tide Is High or Rapture. They were a power pop band (they weren't New Wave as is often claimed) but I would rather listen to them than Kiss any day.

Also I could not disagree more that Rock & Roll All Night is THE rock anthem as opposed to absolutely anything by Led Zeppelin but I have now said as much as I wish to say & we will have to agree to disagree.

Most if not all of the late 70s/80s rock n' roll. Motley Crue, Warrant, Bon Jovi, on and on.

Where as most 70s musicians cite Beatles on Sullivan or the Stones as the influence, most 80s musicians cite seeing KISS. It's well documented and on the net and various quotes from bands.

As far as Blondie, I just can't fathom that, but to each their own.

When I think rock n' roll anthem I think about the song that sums up what it's about, and to me that's having a good time and partying and such. I am attracted to that side of RnR and the image as I've stated.

Also, KISS helped to launch RUSH, and even help out Van Halen. They've done a world of good for RnR.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Excuse me did I miss that this was a thread congrdulating linda .......not a debate or thread about who should get in or not . It should be about her.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-16-2013, 09:37 PM
My only comment is that it is anout time that Linda has been nominated & fingers crossed that she gets in!

I agree w you

Tiffanny Twisted
10-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Cat Stevens!!!!?????!!!!!! :drool: OMG, don't get me started!!!!

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/Cat%20Stevens/CatStevens1.jpg

Whew! We now return to our regularly scheduled thread.

Pm another good point and great way of putting it.

Shame on those for not sticking to topic and turning it it to a debate about who should get in or not?......that would be a great nother thread. May be a moderator could step in and seperate it and keep this one bout linda just saying

WalshFan88
10-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Shame on those for not sticking to topic and turning it it to a debate about who should get in or not?......that would be a great nother thread. May be a moderator could step in and seperate it and keep this one bout linda just saying

Ok.. I'm sorry it got a bit off topic, but seriously "Shame on those"? Seriously? :huh: A bit harsh, dontcha think?! ;)

I'll be creating a separate thread for the HOF and its inductees, and I'll leave it at that.

WalshFan88
10-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Moving a discussion about the nominees over here.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Ok.. I'm sorry it got a bit off topic, but seriously "Shame on those"? Seriously? :huh: A bit harsh, dontcha think?! ;)

I'll be creating a separate thread for the HOF and its inductees, and I'll leave it at that.

Thanks austin did not mean for some to take it as being harsh.
just felt strongly that it was disrespectful to linda and her great honor and achievement

Prettymaid
10-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Thanks for starting the thread, WF.

Here's the link.

http://rockhall.com/inductees/

WalshFan88
10-16-2013, 09:58 PM
just felt strongly that it was disrespectful to linda and her great honor and achievement

Well that was certainly not my (and for all I know, anyone's) intentions and as I said I'm sorry. We all get sidetracked.

I've made it known that I felt happy she was nominated and very deserving. So not disrespectful in the least.

Freypower
10-16-2013, 10:16 PM

There was no disrespect intended. I would only say that perhaps the initial post should have gone in Linda's own thread. But I do not moderate this forum, so I am unable to move it. I would also say that once the thread was started, it only seemed natural for the merits or otherwise of the other nominees to come up.

Also, at the moment she is a nominee like everyone else; she has not actually been inducted.

sodascouts
10-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Actually, I think we should just merge the threads using Austin's title. Although the original includes Linda Ronstadt in the title, it really is more about the HOF nominees in general.

Freypower
10-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Well, replying to Austin's comment that most 80s bands claim to have been influenced by Kiss; I wouldn't know. The fact is they are not the bands I listen to. I had no idea Kiss ever did anything for Rush, my husband's favourite band. There is absolutely no similarity in the music the two bands play.

Some of the other nominees like Link Wray & Paul Butterfield are real critics' favourites. Then there are the Replacements. Has anyone here ever heard one of their songs or could even name one? If so, apologies. But Rolling Stone used to write about bands like this all the time while ignoring Deep Purple, Dire Straits etc. That is what gets them nominated. As well as Dire Straits I am still waiting for the Moody Blues & ELO & other poltically incorrect bands to have their turn.

NYC Fan
10-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Then there are the Replacements. Has anyone here ever heard one of their songs or could even name one? If so, apologies.

Well, I may be in the minority, but not only can I name you many Replacements songs, and own most of their CD's, I saw them in concert several times in the 80's and right before they broke up. While they may not be everyone's pick to be in the HOF, they certainly had an influence on a certain genre of bands that came after them, including I dare say, the sainted Nirvana. I also hear the 'Mats influence in bands like Green Day and the Gaslight Anthem.

Just because they weren't a huge commercial success like Nirvana doesn't mean that they weren't a great band for their type of music. Because they were. IMHO, of course.

That said, I'd be shocked if they got picked to go in this year, or any year. And I'm pretty sure Paul Westerberg won't be too bothered that they don't.

Prettymaid
10-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Here's the interview at the London Sundance Festival where both Glenn and Don talk about Linda Ronstadt not being in the R&R HOF.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9b7TJ9qSVmQ

WalshFan88
10-17-2013, 05:44 AM
Well, replying to Austin's comment that most 80s bands claim to have been influenced by Kiss; I wouldn't know. The fact is they are not the bands I listen to. I had no idea Kiss ever did anything for Rush, my husband's favourite band. There is absolutely no similarity in the music the two bands play.

KISS had RUSH open a bunch of shows for them and brought them into America on their tour, and became great friends since. There is a RUSH doc, that talks about how they met and how Gene Simmons thought they were the "Canadian Zeppelin".

TimothyBFan
10-17-2013, 10:01 AM
And once again (I sound like a broken record), I'm completely disappointed in this years nominations. So many well deserving bands still not nominated and it's just gotten embarrassing at this point.

Brooke
10-17-2013, 02:07 PM
I don't know much about it at all, but I'm glad Linda has been nominated and hope she gets in!

sad-cafe
10-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Chicago deserves to be in the RNR Hall of Fame

secret squirrel
10-24-2013, 12:36 PM
I didn't realise you could vote for five. I would go with Hall & Oates, the Replacements (although I see they wouldn't really fit in with the crowd but Husker Du are in, aren't they?) and the Zombies? Doesn't anyone else rate the Zombies. Brilliant songs and Colin Blunstone still has the voice of an angel.

And Linda R of course.

But Chic surely have nothing to do with rock and roll ...? Is there a Disco Hall of Fame?

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/some-called-it-country-some-called-it.html

Freypower
10-24-2013, 06:09 PM
I didn't realise you could vote for five. I would go with Hall & Oates, the Replacements (although I see they wouldn't really fit in with the crowd but Husker Du are in, aren't they?) and the Zombies? Doesn't anyone else rate the Zombies. Brilliant songs and Colin Blunstone still has the voice of an angel.

And Linda R of course.

But Chic surely have nothing to do with rock and roll ...? Is there a Disco Hall of Fame?

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/some-called-it-country-some-called-it.html

Chic were a very successful black band. If you narrow the definition to just rock & roll there would be no black artists at all. Rock music also includes R&B & soul for the purposes of being inclusive. Husker Du are not in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame_inductees

TimothyBFan
10-26-2013, 05:00 PM
I really have no problem with bands like Chic being inducted (if they're good enough for Slash to play with, they're good enough for me--look that video up on YouTube-it's awesome) BUT I do have a problem with some of the bands that are overlooked year after year after year that seem to be obvious choices to go in. The list is too long to even mention.

lizzyplays
10-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Maybe it's just me, but good grief it sure does seem like a lot of hostility and all about the one subject that can bridge all gaps... Music! I have conversations all of the time with people like VA and Austin, Willie, Zelda etc, with differing opinions and not once, not EVER do we speak to each other with some of these tones just because we disagree or our tastes differ. I know it's hard to infer 'real' feeling into a typewritten conversation but, heck, give it a try! Some of these comments come across as snide, short and condescending. I don't need to be reminded of freedom of speech, but I think in this day and age too many people use that as an excuse for their own rude behavior. I mean, I picture a lively conversation of opinions, with heartfelt feelings and passionate stories about the pros/cons of who we like or dislike. Not vitriolic debate. Meh...:scowl:

Tiffanny Twisted
10-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Pm I finally got a chance to watch that clip where dh and gf talk about linda and about being in the hall of fame.
thanks for posting it it was interesting.

Prettymaid
10-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Thanks TT. I have to forward that thank you to AEW21, who shared it with us in the Linda Ronstadt and Eagles thread. It has really stuck with me since I saw it. You can just feel the respect for her coming from them.

TimothyBFan
10-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Maybe it's just me, but good grief it sure does seem like a lot of hostility and all about the one subject that can bridge all gaps... Music! I have conversations all of the time with people like VA and Austin, Willie, Zelda etc, with differing opinions and not once, not EVER do we speak to each other with some of these tones just because we disagree or our tastes differ. I know it's hard to infer 'real' feeling into a typewritten conversation but, heck, give it a try! Some of these comments come across as snide, short and condescending. I don't need to be reminded of freedom of speech, but I think in this day and age too many people use that as an excuse for their own rude behavior. I mean, I picture a lively conversation of opinions, with heartfelt feelings and passionate stories about the pros/cons of who we like or dislike. Not vitriolic debate. Meh...:scowl:

As I was reading this, I kept thinking about a couple years ago when GNR went in and the "discussion" we had. :hilarious:

As far as groups that have been overlooked- you all have mentioned several like Bon Jovi, Cheap Trick, ELO, Dire Straits, etc.... Might I add a HUGE one to me? A lot of you already know who I'm going to say....

THE CARS

Freypower
10-27-2013, 06:57 PM
As I was reading this, I kept thinking about a couple years ago when GNR went in and the "discussion" we had. :hilarious:

As far as groups that have been overlooked- you all have mentioned several like Bon Jovi, Cheap Trick, ELO, Dire Straits, etc.... Might I add a HUGE one to me? A lot of you already know who I'm going to say....

THE CARS

In your wildest dreams you would want Sweet too, wouldn't you, just as I would want Slade, but as neither of them had much impact in the US it isn't very likely. If it has taken this long & we are still waiting for Dire Straits....by the way, for me the Cars are far more worthy of inclusion than some of these 2014 nominees.

I would add the Moody Blues to your list of overlooked acts.

lizzyplays
10-27-2013, 10:26 PM

Honestly, that induction night was one of the most fun nights ive ever had online, with me, you and Austin doing a play by play every second, most of our breaking news coming from Perla's tweets!!! :band:

sodascouts
10-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Sorry you don't like the tone of the thread, LP. Guess you're used to the mellow types that frequent GnR boards. ;)

lizzyplays
10-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Sorry you don't like the tone of the thread, LP. Guess you're used to the mellow types that frequent GnR boards. ;)

Never been to a GNR board in my life, so I wouldn't know! But, I would imagine it would be a bunch of cussing and screaming kids, which is a good enough reason for me to stay away.

And in much the same way people argue in the comments sections on YouTube, it's just my humble opinion that people could speak to each other in not so 'mean sounding' ways.

Perhaps I am a sensitive type...

Tiffanny Twisted
10-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks TT. I have to forward that thank you to AEW21, who shared it with us in the Linda Ronstadt and Eagles thread. It has really stuck with me since I saw it. You can just feel the respect for her coming from them.
Yeah and if you think about it...they seemed respectful that she didn't want to be included in the documentary.
Now that we know how sick she is it all is understandable. Its a shame but they handled it very well..just saying and jmo
so thanks again pm

TimothyBFan
10-28-2013, 07:48 AM
In your wildest dreams you would want Sweet too, wouldn't you, just as I would want Slade, but as neither of them had much impact in the US it isn't very likely. If it has taken this long & we are still waiting for Dire Straits....by the way, for me the Cars are far more worthy of inclusion than some of these 2014 nominees.

I would add the Moody Blues to your list of overlooked acts.

I of course thought of Sweet but like you said, it'll never happen. I think Slade should be also. Certainly a place for Glam Rock to be included in the HOF.

lizzyplays
10-28-2013, 08:33 AM
I of course thought of Sweet but like you said, it'll never happen. I think Slade should be also. Certainly a place for Glam Rock to be included in the HOF.

They could overhaul the entire thing, change it to the Music Hall of Fame and then do winners for different categories. That being said, that would start a whole new slew of issues in defining each category. What is rock? What is alt rock? What is metal? What is hair metal? What is thrash? What is hard rock? What is adult contemporary? What is easy listening? It would be endless and subjective to each listener's ear.

Freypower
10-28-2013, 05:50 PM
They could overhaul the entire thing, change it to the Music Hall of Fame and then do winners for different categories. That being said, that would start a whole new slew of issues in defining each category. What is rock? What is alt rock? What is metal? What is hair metal? What is thrash? What is hard rock? What is adult contemporary? What is easy listening? It would be endless and subjective to each listener's ear.

That is why in my view it is better to leave it as it is.

lizzyplays
10-29-2013, 12:49 AM
I agree.. the categories would create more issues than they are worth. But I do feel that at this point, they should really consider dropping the 'rock n roll' part of the name since it has gone way beyond that.

TimothyBFan
10-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Music Hall Of Fame. Enough said!!

secret squirrel
10-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Chic were a very successful black band. If you narrow the definition to just rock & roll there would be no black artists at all. Rock music also includes R&B & soul for the purposes of being inclusive. Husker Du are not in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame_inductees

Ok then I would not vote for the Replacements. I think HD have just one song in. Not sure how that works.

But isn't there a Country Music Hall of Fame that Rusty Young was inducted in? So are country artists included in the general Rock and Roll one? If there's a Country one, why not a Disco one?

SS
xx

Ive always been a dreamer
10-29-2013, 02:05 PM

Yeah - The last sentence that I bolded is why I think we should keep it as it is. Many genres, including country, bluegrass, r&b, and jazz already have their own HOFs so I think there should be one for r&r as well. I guess some of the genres that are now under the r&r umbrella could branch off and form their own HOF. In addition some genres don't have their own HOF, but they do have museums dedicated to their style and influential artists, such as Motown and the Rock and Soul Museum in Memphis that I recently visited.

And I totally agree that Linda's induction is long overdue, as are some other acts. I'm not sure what the nomination criteria is, but I guess the challenge is to separate the relevant and influential artists from the one or two hit wonders. If everyone gets in, it dilutes the significance, IMHO. But, as in most things, there are always borderline cases where there are good arguments both for and against certain artists.

Freypower
10-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Ok then I would not vote for the Replacements. I think HD have just one song in. Not sure how that works.

But isn't there a Country Music Hall of Fame that Rusty Young was inducted in? So are country artists included in the general Rock and Roll one? If there's a Country one, why not a Disco one?

SS
xx

The HOF is for artists, not songs, so when I said Husker Du were not in it I meant the band is not in the HOF.

Disco was too much of its time & era to go back & create an HOF for it.

Country artists are not in the R&R HOF.

EagleLady
10-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Johnny Cash is in the R&R hall of fame and most people consider him to be country

Freypower
10-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Johnny Cash is in the R&R hall of fame and most people consider him to be country

Yes, and Hank Williams was inducted as an early influence

chaim
10-30-2013, 07:10 AM
People listen with their eyes. When KISS started, people said to them "you have great songs, but take off that makeup". When they became well known for the makeup, people decided that their music sucks.

It is possible to have great songs and a great show at the same time, folks. It really is. Having said that, although Paul is a great rhythm player, he's often sloppy live, because he keeps running and jumping and doesn't care that much about the playing. Gene plays well live. Bruce Kulick, who's a virtuoso player, said once that he doesn't remember Gene ever making a mistake (playingwise) live in all the years Bruce was with KISS.

There's a great quote from Steve Van Zandt in the book KISS - Behind the Mask. He never paid attention to KISS because of the "cartoon" thing. He finally went to see them in the mid-90's - during the reunion tour - and was "really really shocked. It was one great song after the next, nothing but terrific songs".

I can't blame people who say KISS's music sucks - and mention the show aspect at the same time - for being prejudiced. It's the same thing as a KISS fan insisting without listening to the albums that Spice Girls has never recorded a good song ("They dance, so their music must suck"). It is possible to love both, by the way. I do!

KISS influencing other people? Hard to say. I do remember Nikki Sixx saying that he wasn't influenced by their theatrics, but by their songwriting. I have heard many times that somebody started to play because of KISS or one of its members. But I don't think that's the same thing as "influencing". It's more like giving the initial spark to pick up an instrument.

TimothyBFan
10-30-2013, 08:45 AM
KISS influencing other people? Hard to say. I do remember Nikki Sixx saying that he wasn't influenced by their theatrics, but by their songwriting. I have heard many times that somebody started to play because of KISS or one of its members. But I don't think that's the same thing as "influencing". It's more like giving the initial spark to pick up an instrument.

Just thought I'd point out that Nikki and the Crue also cite Sweet as one of their influences, going so far as to cover Little Willy. :thumbsup:

shunlvswx
12-17-2013, 12:36 AM
The list for the 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees are in and Linda is going to be inducted along with Nirvana, Kiss, Peter Garbriel, Hall & Oates and Cat Stevens.

I had 5 out of 6 right. I only picked 5.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/nirvana-kiss-e-street-lead-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fames-2014-class-20131216

prayfordaylight
12-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Pretty happy with the inductee list. Love that the E Street Band is getting recognition.

Still cranky about the lack of love for prog rock but now that RUSH is in the door has been opened (albeit slightly).

Freypower
12-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Congratulations to Peter Gabriel & Cat Stevens.

(DIRE STRAITS 2015).....

ktdids
12-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Carole King is MusicCares person of the year. Good for her!

Ive always been a dreamer
12-17-2013, 07:17 PM
I have mixed feelings about this list, but am delighted to see Carole King as the MusiCares Person of the Year.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-17-2013, 07:18 PM
love carole king. is my age showing lol

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Love all the inductees. Carol King is very deserving of the honor. Such an incredible voice. Linda to me is the most deserving of the group. What a voice, nobody better.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-18-2013, 10:31 AM
I love the music of hall and oates .,\

sometime daryl hall comes across as obnoxious.
just click on the old interview from 1985 in rolling stone archive.

I have seen them live numerous times and they hold a special place in my heart..my late cousin was a big fan and was at temple univ at the same time and I will never forget the look on her face when I got 2nd row seats for her to see them at the old Specturm in Philly after camping out all night at electric factory .
fast forward to years later when we paid a lot of money to see them at the Borgata and they did 7 songs then came back and did three xmas songs as an encore. JAHH swears he will never go again,
Its such a shame.
But you can not take away that they are the biggest top selling duo in music history.,
All of the inductees...made tremendous contributions to music and deserve their honor. JMI just saying:grooving:

luna65
12-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Still cranky about the lack of love for prog rock but now that RUSH is in the door has been opened (albeit slightly).

Pink Floyd and Genesis have already been inducted as well so...sure, I'd like to see Yes make it but if they don't it's not like they need that validation necessarily.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-18-2013, 08:21 PM
yEAP SPRINGBO THEy were a big part of my life. I cant here any of their songs with out smiling or thinking of my late cousin who was me defacto big sister.lol
The fact that Dh comes off they way he does doesn't detract from the great talent he and JO have.
I love seeinuess I will wait for the dvdg them live but JAHH has sworn off since that incident.

would love to see this hof induction in Brooklyn but don't think I will be able to make it. oh well

Topkat
12-19-2013, 09:56 PM
I would love to go see this live. I wonder when tickets go on sale. I think it would be a lot of fun to see this show live instead of waiting to see it on tv. Also I believe it's the first time they are selling tickets to see it.
Going to look into it. Pretty happy with the noms this year!

Tiffanny Twisted
12-20-2013, 12:08 PM
I would love to go see this live. I wonder when tickets go on sale. I think it would be a lot of fun to see this show live instead of waiting to see it on tv. Also I believe it's the first time they are selling tickets to see it.
Going to look into it. Pretty happy with the noms this year!
I think January one of the articles that I read in this thread stated when they go on sale for the general public. I would love to see bruce again,,,,