PDA

View Full Version : Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Freypower
05-31-2016, 07:46 PM
I disagree on both points.

I think he's a far better singer than people around here give him credit for.

The only time he's used tracks that I've heard is on TV appearances because he didn't have a band behind him. It was him and an acoustic guitar. He used a drum track and harmony vocals to fill it out. That makes perfect since and even the best of singer/guitarist would need something to keep rhythm and fill in harmony vocals in a solo performance of something that was done in a band context.

Forgive me for wondering if you are doing what is billed as a solo performance why you have to 'fill it in' with harmonies done by people who aren't there.

As for opionions on his vocals we have another thread about that. I think you are far too generous.

Have you watched the other performances which are being queried? What is your opinion on those? This discussion should probably continue in the Felder Videos thread where it started.

sodascouts
05-31-2016, 09:36 PM
Austin, I suggest you visit the videos thread. You'll be able to see it for yourself.

I personally never would have noticed it - I thought he was singing live as well when I went to see him - but after watching those videos, I realized the truth.

This isn't someone saying "he must use a pre-recorded track because he's a bad singer." It's someone saying "he must use a pre-recorded track because his vocal is exactly the same every single time, and that's not humanly possible."

Go watch the videos (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=332344&postcount=203). You'll see. The 100% vocal duplication every single time - not to mention his vocal being heard clearly while his mouth isn't near the microphone - it's impossible to explain away.

chaim
05-31-2016, 09:56 PM
Yes, I have never suggested that he's a bad singer. On the contrary I don't understand why he should use a pre-recorded vocal track, because IMO he doesn't need it. (IMO he could do without Autotune too, but it seems to be a trend these days.) I expressed it too strongly earlier - I spoke like it's the truth. It should be more like "this is how I strongly feel and here's why". I'm not a professional musician or technician after all.

This discussion indeed doesn't belong here, but I had to comment...:smile:

NightMistBlue
06-01-2016, 01:36 PM
Didn't Leadon and Meisner work together briefly during the 80s? I don't believe Felder had any contact with Leadon and Meisner from the time they left until after the reunion, based on his book and interviews with Leadon and Meisner.

Yes, Bernie Leadon was part of the Black Tie touring group in early 1986: Black Tie's main members were Jimmy Griffin (ex-Bread), sweet Randy and Billy Swan.

Felder and the Meis didn't work together but have remained friends all these many years.

Funk 50
06-01-2016, 02:49 PM
I disagree on both points.

I think he's a far better singer than people around here give him credit for.

The only time he's used tracks that I've heard is on TV appearances because he didn't have a band behind him. It was him and an acoustic guitar. He used a drum track and harmony vocals to fill it out. That makes perfect since and even the best of singer/guitarist would need something to keep rhythm and fill in harmony vocals in a solo performance of something that was done in a band context.

It's not about ability. It's about integrity.
I've heard solo performances from all the Eagles, barring Meisner. Each performed a track or tracks that originally we're performed by a full band. They all provided their own accompaniment with just a guitar or piano. It's the most natural thing for a musician to do. Playing and/or singing along with a backing track is karaoke isn't it.

Felder maybe a fabulous guitarist, gifted song writer, excellent band leader and a decent singer but he's definitely bottom of the Eagles list when it comes to integrity. :shrug:

WalshFan88
06-01-2016, 06:08 PM
It's not about ability. It's about integrity.
I've heard solo performances from all the Eagles, barring Meisner. Each performed a track or tracks that originally we're performed by a full band. They all provided their own accompaniment with just a guitar or piano. It's the most natural thing for a musician to do. Playing and/or singing along with a backing track is karaoke isn't it.

Felder maybe a fabulous guitarist, gifted song writer, excellent band leader and a decent singer but he's definitely bottom of the Eagles list when it comes to integrity. :shrug:

I don't consider a backing track when playing as a single person is karoke in the slightest. With karaoke you have NO instruments. The track simply fills in the missing instruments to help keep time and to fill out the sound. Could he do it without it when playing without a backing band, sure. But it sure makes it more interesting when there are other instruments be it a track or otherwise.

-----

Soda - I'll head over to the videos thread but I've watched recent Felder videos and never noticed anything.

Freypower
06-01-2016, 06:37 PM
I don't consider a backing track when playing as a single person is karoke in the slightest. With karaoke you have NO instruments. The track simply fills in the missing instruments to help keep time and to fill out the sound. Could he do it without it when playing without a backing band, sure. But it sure makes it more interesting when there are other instruments be it a track or otherwise.

-----

Soda - I'll head over to the videos thread but I've watched recent Felder videos and never noticed anything.

Backing vocals when there are no physical people there to sing them? Sorry, but that is inexcusable. And when people sing karaoke they are - guess what - singing over a backing track. They are not singing accapella.

You admit yourself that if Felder just stood with a guitar & 'sang' it wouldn't be sufficiently interesting. That says it all.

Your attempts to defend the man are laudable, I will say that.

sodascouts
06-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Well, I do distinguish between using a backing track to fill out sound and lip-syncing to a pre-recorded vocal. It's true a lot of performers choose to change the arrangement of a song if they don't have a band with them, but it's certainly not always the case. I remember during Lindsey Buckingham's "One Man Show" in 2012, he occasionally added a backing track on songs like "Stephanie" which didn't sound right with just one guitar. Similarly, I don't fault Felder for using backing tracks in such circumstances.

WalshFan88
06-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Backing vocals when there are no physical people there to sing them? Sorry, but that is inexcusable. And when people sing karaoke they are - guess what - singing over a backing track. They are not singing accapella.

You admit yourself that if Felder just stood with a guitar & 'sang' it wouldn't be sufficiently interesting. That says it all.

Your attempts to defend the man are laudable, I will say that.

Yes but karaoke doesn't have an actual instrument onstage. Therin lies the difference, as I already stated.

I honestly would prefer all solo artists to have some sort of backing instruments live or recorded. Not just Don Felder. It makes it more full sounding. As a predominately electric guitar fan, solo acoustic stuff isn't my cup of tea.

I guess if you think I'm being too kind to Felder, so be it. I guess I could say I think you are being to harsh on him. I've called him on some stuff recently. He's not a perfect man. But to say he isn't a singer isn't fair, and I'm going to say something, I'm sorry.

Jonny Come Lately
06-02-2016, 02:44 AM
I can understand what Austin is trying to say here, although I can't totally agree with him. I do enjoy listening to artists playing solo with a single guitar myself, but you are perfectly entitled not to if that's not your thing. Personally I would rather not hear harmony vocals if an artist is performing a song solo with a guitar - I can see how they might add to the song but if I was watching it live, it would seem odd to me to hear backing vocals when it is clear that there is no one singing them. However, I can totally understand why a performer might use a backing track when the original song had a prominent synthesiser or keyboard part. For example, if Felder wanted to play ICTYW with the synth strings from the original I wouldn't mind at all - I think in those cases it seems fair enough, and the fact that there's nobody playing the part doesn't particularly bother me.

UndertheWire
06-02-2016, 03:34 AM
I live in a tourist town so I hear a lot of buskers and increasingly, they arrive with a backing track. I'm less inclined to stop and listen to those as the joy of street musicians is hearing good live performances. There are exceptions - one of my favourites is a crooner who also play sax and he needs that backing track.

chaim
06-02-2016, 08:42 AM
I don't mind a prerecorded track if the artist doesn't pretend he's playing/singing the part. When Felder played alone with a backing track, it contained stuff that he obviously didn't do live, because one person can't do it all. So he wasn't faking anything. That's ok with me.

UndertheWire
06-02-2016, 12:10 PM
Both the advantage and the disadvantage of a prerecorded track is that the performance will be predictable. No risk of reaching for a note and missing it or forgetting the words. On the other hand, the whole band is stuck with the decisions that were made when the track was recorded and they can't improvise or develope over time. As playing it the same every time is an aspect of the Eagles that Felder has complained about, this seems an odd choice.

WalshFan88
06-02-2016, 04:29 PM
I think backing tracks are wonderful and they don't bother me at all. It just makes it more interesting to me. I can listen to solo acoustic stuff (I've also been called upon to do it at times), but it's not my bag. Give me either a full band with electric guitars OR some type of accompaniment via a backing track. But I've always preferred poppier processed big sounding stuff over raw stripped down music.

Now, the prerecorded lead vocal track is not what I'm referring to. I'm thinking if anything Don is using slight autotune (but not enough to cause the robotic effect), which would make it very consistent but I still don't believe for a minute he lip syncs in his live shows with his full band. If he is, I don't know why because it's obvious to me he can sing all of that stuff well.

But I think backing tracks are absolutely needed and serve an important purpose in solo performances to provide a more band-like sound, which is much preferred for me personally.

WalshFan88
06-02-2016, 06:05 PM
One of my favorite guitar sites did a gear tour with Don.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLMJIfmaVzM

sodascouts
06-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Cool! Thanks for posting that, Austin.

chaim
06-03-2016, 08:08 AM
A cool clip. He sure loves to talk about himself more than any other Eagle.:lol: He believes that he played sixteen guitar tracks on Hotel California. I've heard this before. I still wonder what Glenn and Joe played on the "rhythm track".

WalshFan88
06-03-2016, 01:19 PM
LOL, he has an ego. But if he's as good of a player as he is, it's bound to happen. Just wish he'd stay away from the bashing and the drama.

He also said Steve Lukather played on ASWTDID. It was Dirty Laundry.

UndertheWire
06-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Thanks for posting. I found it quire interesting as I hadn't appreciated how much customisation there is with electric guitars. I wish he'd given a demonstration of how the different pedals affect the sound.

As for playing 16 guitars on HC, that has me wondering how they were able to play it live with just three guitarists (even if Don effectively had two guitars).

Don talks well and as he was there to talk about his guitars, I'm fine with him talking about himself. At least he didn't repeat the full story of writing HC at the (rented) house in Malibu. I've heard that a few too many times.

glennthegreat
06-03-2016, 09:47 PM
This is what Don is talking about when he mentions the many guitar parts of that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fNDkE_GejQ

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMq8FOzC8h0

chaim
06-04-2016, 12:50 AM
Thanks for posting. I found it quire interesting as I hadn't appreciated how much customisation there is with electric guitars. I wish he'd given a demonstration of how the different pedals affect the sound.

As for playing 16 guitars on HC, that has me wondering how they were able to play it live with just three guitarists (even if Don effectively had two guitars).

Don talks well and as he was there to talk about his guitars, I'm fine with him talking about himself. At least he didn't repeat the full story of writing HC at the (rented) house in Malibu. I've heard that a few too many times.

When I wrote my post I was thinking of the part where he discussed his early days. Whenever I see him talk about his past it looks like it's his favorite thing to do. I find this funny in a nice way, not irritating.

chaim
06-04-2016, 12:54 AM
This is what Don is talking about when he mentions the many guitar parts of that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fNDkE_GejQ

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMq8FOzC8h0

I'm aware of those guitar parts, but if Don played "about sixteen" guitar tracks, what was there left for Joe and Glenn to play? Joe played a couple of licks in the second chorus and lead at the end, but other than that which part did he play?

Freypower
06-04-2016, 05:58 PM
I'm aware of those guitar parts, but if Don played "about sixteen" guitar tracks, what was there left for Joe and Glenn to play? Joe played a couple of licks in the second chorus and lead at the end, but other than that which part did he play?

We know Glenn played the acoustic, surely?

Wouldn't this be yet another case of Felder beefing up his own contributions?

WalshFan88
06-04-2016, 06:47 PM
I hear 4 distinct guitars (not guitarists) on the record. The acoustic 12-string opening intro that repeats throughout. Arpeggiated notes. The Les Paul thicker warmer sounding guitar. And the Telecaster with a brighter wirey sound. I associate the first two with Felder because it's well documented. I associate the last one with Walsh because it also has been well documented.

The last guitar part I hear is a light rhythmic strumming that is following the bass essentially. Not picked notes but a strumming guitar. That, I'd bet, is Frey. It could be Felder but I can't believe Glenn wouldn't have played guitar on HC. He had to of. And that part, is basically what he did live. So I have to believe that was his part on that song. Felder may not want to give that credit but as far as sixteen guitar parts, they must have buried most of them because I sure don't hear them.

scottside
06-04-2016, 10:00 PM
I'm wondering if Felder is referring to parts played, and not necessarily different ones. Perhaps he's talking about 16 total guitar tracks some of which might be doubled or tripled for thickness.

sodascouts
06-05-2016, 12:02 AM
I must admit I'm a bit uninformed as to what that means, scottside - could you explain a bit what you mean by doubling/tripling a guitar track? (Sorry to have to ask.)

chaim
06-05-2016, 01:01 AM
We know Glenn played the acoustic, surely?

Wouldn't this be yet another case of Felder beefing up his own contributions?

But the acoustic part Glenn has always played live isn't there in the original. At least in the verses. In the choruses there seems to be some extra acoustic guitar that could be Glenn. The main acoustic (12-string with a capo on the 7th fret) was played by Felder.

chaim
06-05-2016, 01:04 AM
I must admit I'm a bit uninformed as to what that means, scottside - could you explain a bit what you mean by doubling/tripling a guitar track? (Sorry to have to ask.)

It means that you play exactly the same part again (and perhaps again and again) and layer it. That's done to thicken the sound. Sometimes people even detune the guitar slightly before the play the same part again, because that makes the sound bigger. I think ABBA did this a lot. I know KISS did this on Destroyer. Sometimes, I think, even different guitars are used to record the same part a couple of times.

chaim
06-05-2016, 01:06 AM
I hear 4 distinct guitars (not guitarists) on the record. The acoustic 12-string opening intro that repeats throughout. Arpeggiated notes. The Les Paul thicker warmer sounding guitar. And the Telecaster with a brighter wirey sound. I associate the first two with Felder because it's well documented. I associate the last one with Walsh because it also has been well documented.

The last guitar part I hear is a light rhythmic strumming that is following the bass essentially. Not picked notes but a strumming guitar. That, I'd bet, is Frey. It could be Felder but I can't believe Glenn wouldn't have played guitar on HC. He had to of. And that part, is basically what he did live. So I have to believe that was his part on that song. Felder may not want to give that credit but as far as sixteen guitar parts, they must have buried most of them because I sure don't hear them.

Do you hear acoustic strumming in the verses - other than Felder's? I only hear his acoustic. He starts a "light strumming" after the first couple of minutes.
Which rhythm part has a Telecaster? I've never noticed.

WalshFan88
06-05-2016, 03:24 AM
Do you hear acoustic strumming in the verses - other than Felder's? I only hear his acoustic. He starts a "light strumming" after the first couple of minutes.
Which rhythm part has a Telecaster? I've never noticed.

Yes I do. There's definitely something there but it's pretty buried.

Joe's solo was done on a Telecaster. Also the answer licks in the 1st chorus. Don's Les Paul was for his solo and the answer licks in the 2nd chorus.

Funk 50
06-05-2016, 09:10 AM
I'm wondering if Felder is referring to parts played, and not necessarily different ones. Perhaps he's talking about 16 total guitar tracks some of which might be doubled or tripled for thickness.

I'd agree with that scottside. They spent a long time making Hotel California. Musically, it was Felder's baby, so I wouldn't be surprised if Felder added and altered little bits, during pre-production, before the final print went to the presses. They did record Hotel California three times before they were adequately satisfied with the finished article.

When the Eagles started performing Hotel California live, they thought the guitars sounded a bit thin so guitar tech, Jage Jackson would also play guitar on it.

If I remember rightly, Don Felder said that, for the wonderful acoustic guitar solo, he plays during The Sad Cafe, each line features a different guitar, so he is inclined to utilise all the tools at his disposal.

It's the wonder of a big budget and no deadline. It wouldn't have happened in the Glynn Johns era.:bye:

UndertheWire
06-05-2016, 10:43 AM
It wouldn't have happened in the Glynn Johns era.:bye:
During those early days, one of their guiding principles was that they should only record what they could reproduce live with just the four of them. That, and that they probably couldn't afford multiple guitars.

In that guitar interview, did I hear correctly that Don has five different sets of guitars, each in a different location? I'm not sure I understood that. I do know that on tour, as equipment generally travels by road but the band can fly more quickly, there might be two lots of equipment so that the second set is already on its way to the next venue even before they complete the current show. Is that what he's talking about?

WalshFan88
06-05-2016, 04:26 PM

It thickens up whatever part it is. Some of them are buried but it makes for a more impactful fuller sound. It's called overdubbing. Sometimes they'll play something in different octaves to again, fill out the sound.

chaim
06-07-2016, 06:40 AM
Yes I do. There's definitely something there but it's pretty buried.

Joe's solo was done on a Telecaster. Also the answer licks in the 1st chorus. Don's Les Paul was for his solo and the answer licks in the 2nd chorus.

Yeah. But I was thinking about the basic track. As far as I know the Eagles usually cut the basic tracks live with everyone playing something, and then all or some of them would overdub stuff. If they cut the basic rhythm track to HC live, what did Joe play? I'm sure he overdubbed his lead bits later. I must say though that I'm not sure if they cut the basic tracks live to that one. Felder had arranged so much of it already that perhaps the band never played together in the studio when they were recording that one.

UndertheWire
06-07-2016, 06:49 AM
Bill Szymczyk:

"And as with all of them, the Eagles recorded together as a band on Hotel California. Remember, this was before the days of build‑a‑record, where you start with a click track and then do things piece by piece. We may have gone back and replaced a guitar or keyboard part, but my way of doing things was to record numerous takes, select the five or six best ones and use the very best parts from all that. So I did a lot of two‑inch tape editing, and I know for sure that on 'Hotel California' there were 33 edits on the two‑inch master.There's lots more in that interview that may make more sense to you guitarists and musicians.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/articles/classic-tracks-0910.htm

WalshFan88
06-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Yeah. But I was thinking about the basic track. As far as I know the Eagles usually cut the basic tracks live with everyone playing something, and then all or some of them would overdub stuff. If they cut the basic rhythm track to HC live, what did Joe play? I'm sure he overdubbed his lead bits later. I must say though that I'm not sure if they cut the basic tracks live to that one. Felder had arranged so much of it already that perhaps the band never played together in the studio when they were recording that one.

Maybe Joe didn't play rhythm on HC? It's possible.

As I mentioned, hear 4 guitars as I said on al parts of HC. LP, Tele, 12-String acoustic, and strummy 6-String acoustic.

shunlvswx
06-07-2016, 09:40 PM
Isn't Don's double guitar a 12-string and 6-string. Then that's probably him. Glenn probably does Don's repeated progression during the solo.

I have notice Glenn playing along with Don at the beginning, but I can't hear a second guitar playing the beginning notes.

WalshFan88
06-07-2016, 09:47 PM
Isn't Don's double guitar a 12-string and 6-string. Then that's probably him. Glenn probably does Don's repeated progression during the solo.

I have notice Glenn playing along with Don at the beginning, but I can't hear a second guitar playing the beginning notes.

He didn't use the doubleneck on the recording. He used a Martin 12-string acoustic and a Gibson Les Paul. Don is the only one doing the arpeggiated beginning. He only got the doubleneck when he realized that he needed to both and didn't want to use a stand for an acoustic for fear of tipping it over onstage. So he uses the 12 string neck to one jack into a leslie and acoustic type amp and the 6 string neck to another jack out to an electric guitar pedalboard and amp.

There is a 2nd guitar just strumming the chords throughout, and that I believe is Glenn playing the same thing he did live (6-string acoustic capoed). In Glenn's case it would be capo 2 and playing Am-E-G-D-F-C-Dm-E. Felder played capo 7 and it would be Em-B-D-A-C-G-Am-B (with some different inflections on those chords). Without a capo it would be Bm-F#-A-E-G-D-Em-F# for both.

UndertheWire
07-14-2016, 09:59 AM
Another interview, although much the same as any other:
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/arts-and-entertainment/20160713/sound-check-don-felder-flies-the-flag-for-his-past-with-the-eagles-glenn-frey

sodascouts
07-14-2016, 03:28 PM
It's nice that he plans on mentioning Glenn at the Detroit show tomorrow. I wish he could have left it at that. Unfortunately, there always has to be the addendum of how "gracious" he is versus how mean the other guys were. :rolleyes:

Funk 50
07-14-2016, 05:14 PM
Thanks for posting the link UTW. I'm interested to see if Don's changed his tune since Glenn died.

"I want to give a tip of my hat to my ex-bandmate, who I created so many great songs with."

I, my, my, I......,
I guess not :rolleyes:

• Don Felder

• 8 p.m. Friday, July 8.

• Rockin’ on the Riverfront at the Riverfront Plaza behind the GM RenCen in downtown Detroit.

• Admission is free.

I like the free admission line. Hope it went well and Don didn't have to eject any hecklers. :huh:

UndertheWire
07-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Thanks for posting the link UTW. I'm interested to see if Don's changed his tune since Glenn died.

"I want to give a tip of my hat to my ex-bandmate, who I created so many great songs with."

It's classic Felder.

Funk 50
07-14-2016, 07:17 PM
I guess Felder is doing a string of promo interviews.

I read that he's asking folks to sign a Kennedy Center petition.
http://www.kshe95.com/news/real-rock-news/eagles-fans-petitioning-former-members-receive-kennedy-center-honor

He is...

https://twitter.com/donfelder?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7 Ctwgr%5Eauthor

This is a Felder quote from http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20160713/entlife/160719594/ (hidden text :scowl:)

" I let it go. I think somebody wrote a song called 'Get Over It.' To quote a great lyricist, I've gotten over it."

This quote is also from the Daily Herald, a week or so ago;

"To this day, I still don't get it," Felder told me. "We all did our thing that made the band grow, and we should have all shared in it equally."

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20160708/insights/160709314/

Sincerity eh?

I didn't think much of Return To Forever but I look forward to hearing Don's new music. :|

Freypower
07-14-2016, 07:29 PM
It's nice that he plans on mentioning Glenn at the Detroit show tomorrow. I wish he could have left it at that. Unfortunately, there always has to be the addendum of how "gracious" he is versus how mean the other guys were. :rolleyes:

He hopes his 'sincerity' 'will be received with warm hearts' and then proceeds to complain for the umpteenth time about how his 'conciliatory gestures have gone unanswered'.

If he were truly 'sincere' about speaking about Glenn he wouldn't need to say so. He'd just do it. The self aggrandisement wouldn't be necessary to a person like Joe or Don Henley who actually cared.

Of course, as has been stated, the 'my ex-bandmate' 'who I created songs with' stuff, while entirely predictable, grates.

I've never known a musician to be this egocentric & self-obsessed.

chaim
07-14-2016, 10:16 PM
I don't spend much time here posting, although I follow what's going on everyday. However, Felder always gets my head boiling and I have to say something. He's the only person I'm aware of who feels and makes it clear that it's about HIM when he's paying a tribute to someone. HE created so many songs with the person he's paying a tribute to. He wants people to see that HE's sincere when he's paying the tribute.

It's also interesting how IN PRIVATE he has tried to contact them, but IN PUBLIC still likes to paint them as the bad guys. IMO he got over nothing.

Oh, and what a lovely way to pay a tribute to keep saying that HE tried to contact his ex-bandmates, but they never "got over it".

chaim
07-17-2016, 01:59 AM
I quite like this board, and I love the Eagles, but I do not get the bitterness that some still display towards Felder. They are all old men and Frey is dead. It's ridiculous for the animosity to continue. If we had to ability to speak to Frey right now, wherever he landed, I guarantee that he would tell you that it doesn't matter. Let it go, for Christ's sake.

That's just my opinion. That and $5 will get you a cup of Starbucks.

I don't enjoy feeling this way about Felder. Don is a sweetheart when he talks about his new music or guitars, but the old Henley/Frey stuff always comes up.

I can't speak for others, but I still "display bitterness" towards Felder, because of this "me me me" attitude he still seems to have when it comes to the Eagles. And the "I've tried to contact them" stuff is really getting old. He still doesn't say anything in public that makes himself look less than a saint when it comes to the Eagles. If he REALLY would like to make peace with Henley, perhaps he could say in public that he may have gone too far at times - when he has changed his stories in interviews whenever he has felt the need to trash Glenn Frey (the "Iron lung" example comes to mind). The bipolar thing about Glenn he should apologize for etc. etc. But no, he hasn't done anything wrong and he doesn't know why they don't answer his calls. All this whining from the saint just gives the Henley/Frey haters (most of whom don't know anything about it) more "fuel to the fire". I'm pretty sure that doesn't help the Eagles guys "answer his calls". Felder could tell the interviewers "no questions about my relationship with the Eagles", but it's always the same "Oh, I can't believe those jerks don't answer your calls, you wrote their biggest hit" from the interviewer. Most Felder interviews seem to be full of negativity towards Henley & Frey. Felder could change that.

(There are a lot more people in social media who still "display bitterness" towards Henley and Frey. Should they get over it too?)

Ive always been a dreamer
07-17-2016, 12:58 PM
Very well said, Toni. I have said many times on this board that I don't enjoy talking negatively about people. However, if someone doesn't want people to take shots at them, then they need to quit giving them ammunition. As far as 'getting over it', I have said repeatedly that I would love to after over 15 years, but as Toni said, folks wouldn't have anything to talk about if Felder didn't keep adding 'fuel to the fire'. I believe he does it because it is in his best interest to do so - it keeps his name visible. As the old saying goes 'bad press is better than no press at all'.

As I said, I'm personally tired of it all and prefer to stay out of the discussions. But, if our members find that there are things that are discussion-worthy, then they are free to do so as long as they abide by our Terms of Service and Netiquette Guidelines. If anyone crosses the line, then the moderators will step in.

sodascouts
07-17-2016, 08:07 PM
I don't think anyone is keeping anybody else from enjoying Felder. Is that even possible? "Stop enjoying Felder this minute!" lol Now, if people feel they can't praise him without getting criticized, I can see why that would be upsetting. If you look at the criticisms of Felder, though, they aren't about his talent. They're about the statements he makes, and by extension, the attitude he takes.

Of course there are people who like him, rightfully so. I think he's talented, too. I've paid to see him twice. The first time, I drove five hours to see him; the second, I drove three hours and even paid for a VIP meet'n'greet. I own Airborne as well as Road to Forever. That's not even counting the I site I built for him and the free promotion he gets from it. I actually probably know more about the guy than most of the people who post in this forum.

Yes, I'm critical of some comments he makes, and I don't "take his side" as some put it. I appreciate his music, but apparently, that's not good enough. You must also agree that he is the better man, that he is the hero of the tale and the other guys are the villains. If you don't buy into that narrative, you're "anti-Felder", no matter how many albums you own or how many shows you've seen. I don't think that's fair, but it's typical of the absolutist "you're either with us or against us" thinking that permeates our culture.

However, when it comes to these threads: as long as Felder keeps talking about the other guys, people will keep responding to his statements. That's only reasonable. Look to other threads if all you want to read is praise.

chaim
07-17-2016, 10:36 PM
It's sad if this makes the forum less enjoyable for Felder fans. Perhaps I should express things more carefully - without words like "saint". But then again, people who don't like Glenn don't often watch out what they say either (I think I've seen words like "jerk" quite often). And it's not that I hate Don F. I think I'm more like...disappointed. Having said that, I can see how my "me me me" comment about Don F may offend some people. Perhaps I should use "IMO" more often.

Jonny Come Lately
07-18-2016, 04:48 AM
Sometimes I think that Don F doesn't always mean to antagonise fans of the other Eagles, but his choice of words is unfortunate and makes him look bad (just my opinion). For example, when he spoke of wanting to 'have a beer with Joe', I really don't believe that he chose that phrase to upset anyone, he was probably just using the first set of words that came into his head and forgot about Joe's alcohol problems in the past. I think the 'I created great songs [with Glenn]' comment was probably in the same vein - I don't think it was insincere but was phrased in a way that made it sound like he was (again just IMO).

UndertheWire
07-18-2016, 05:05 AM
I agree with you JCL, it's just an awkward way of saying things.

I believe that Don Felder is essentially a nice and decent guy but tends to speak about himself without a lot of consideration of the bigger picture. If that's how he is, we just need to accept it and try to love him for who he is rather than who we want him to be. That's the advice I'd give those who "hate" Glenn Frey or Don Henley, too. They are probably all "nice guys" most of the time.

Funk 50
07-18-2016, 06:54 AM
This is an Eagles website. In my opinion nobody has damaged the Eagles more than Felder. The other Eagles avoid talking about him so his comments would go unchallenged without Eagles fans expressing their views.

The fact that his career success is entirely reliant on his past with the Eagles doesn't help either.

There's a lot of focus on the "3 more songs" incident. The band broke up and got back together since then. I expect Felder got a clean slate, a second chance, another opportunity to amend his 70s behavior. In 2001 Frey had, once again, had enough of him. The first time the blame may have been shared, the second time everybody knew where the problem lay.

Felder was nasty in response to his sacking, now he's dished the dirt he wants everyone to pretend it never happened. Felder turned on his former band mates and hasn't changed his stance since. Until he does he is still an adversary of the band despite anything he says in self promotion.

I'm glad Felder has got some loyal fans, I just don't understand why they aren't satisfied with his career beyond the Eagles. Why are Felder fans so obsessed with the Eagles?

Out of the last 36 years, Felder was an Eagles for only 6 of them which roughly match his first installment as an Eagle. If he'd rejoined for LROOE, it's likely he would have already been ditched again by now. :-)

Anytime during the last 40 years, except for maybe HFO, I would have seen Joe leaving the Eagles as a positive development. :?

travlnman2
07-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Felder may have some social anxiety issues like that etc. I know because I often blurt out without thinking about it. When he was being interviewed for the doc he is the only one of the guys to not look directly at the interviewer or camera he always looked down. I do the same thing. But he is a 68 year old man he should have learned it by now. I think he was truly hurt by the whole thing. Maybe they all were. Timothy said it best"In my experience all Rock and Roll band are on the verge of breaking up at all times". Often times people with Anxiety and adhd etc such as myself when something bad happens like get a bad grade get in trouble with parents or school. We often always put the blame and never think it was our fault. I have personal experiences with this. Maybe its the same with Felder based upon reading his book unlimited number of times or the HOTE doc I think it may be the case where he thought he wasn't doing anything wrong when he actually was. From a personal experience I can think its likely.

Or maybe he is just a giant ass and ungrateful sob. :confused:

chaim
07-18-2016, 02:24 PM
An excellent post, Travlnman2.

UndertheWire
07-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Perhaps Felder keeps bringing up about "reaching out" to the others because it's something he needs in order to move forward and get over it. Some kind of closure.

travlnman2
07-18-2016, 04:09 PM
Perhaps Felder keeps bringing up about "reaching out" to the others because it's something he needs in order to move forward and get over it. Some kind of closure.

Steven Adler did the same thibg for years. He finally got the chance on July 6th and July 9th when he performed with Guns N Roses for the first time since 1990. He is so happy now He finally got the closure he needed amd can lead a new life.

Maybe Felder is the same way

WalshFan88
07-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Anytime during the last 40 years, except for maybe HFO, I would have seen Joe leaving the Eagles as a positive development. :?

Wha???? lol

I mean I personally don't care for the early Eagles.

I cannot imagine the Eagles without Joe or Don or preferably both. The rockin' Eagles is a good Eagles. For me, their early country sound is meh. I'm not the world's biggest Bernie fan, but I give him props for paving the way. I just cannot imagine the Eagles going back to a sound reminiscent of their first two albums.

I think it fuels my fire that some people would be happy with any lineup as long as Glenn and Don would have been there. I'm sorry, but I would have never given them a dime if Walsh wasn't there. It was hard enough without Felder. Walsh contributed so much to the Eagles that I prefer him in the Eagles over the James Gang or solo stuff. I like his solo tunes best in the Eagles live shows. I just cannot imagine and Eagles going on without Joe Walsh in it. It seems ludicrous to me.

Again, I think the Eagles were best suited as a commercial classic rock band, and not a country-rock outfit. I feel their best work had Felder and Joe in it, and I feel the work with Felder and Bernie was better than Bernie alone. I'm not a fan of the older country sound. To me I want some loud distorted guitars and some uptempo rockers or songs with great singing guitar solos in them.

It's safe to say that if the band had kept their more country-tinged sound of Desperado forward, I would not be an Eagles fan. For me it was never about soft country-rock and harmony vocals, it was always about good rock guitar and great singers who could really rock when they wanted to. Not acoustic guitars and Telecasters and twangy harmony vocals lol.

Joe brought SO much to their live shows, he stole the show in the second half and they were happy to let him. He brought a ton of energy and fun, even when they were all stuffy with those funeral suits in the LROOE period. Joe brought so much to the band, a band that was at times a bit too formal. I don't see Bernie or Felder or Steuart running around with a camera on their head. And the band needed that. I firmly believe at times it was too stuffy, and Joe helped relieve that.

Funk 50
07-18-2016, 05:27 PM
Wha???? lol

I cannot imagine the Eagles without Joe or Don or preferably both.

You don't have to imagine it WalshFan88 . Listen to the first couple of Eagles albums or even parts of their most recent,Long Road Out Of Eden album.

The most recent solo albums from Don, Glenn and Tim were rock less affairs. I think both Glenn and Don had to be persuaded to add uptempo tracks to their albums.

Judging by Felder's, Return to Forever, he's not a convincing rock musician either. I'd rather Felder played Visions, Too Many Hands or some of his, up tempo solo stuff, than Tequila Sunrise and Peaceful Easy Feeling during his concerts. I doubt whether Felder rocks any more than the original Eagles when he's performing those two tracks. :unimpressed:

Freypower
07-18-2016, 06:55 PM
This is an Eagles website. In my opinion nobody has damaged the Eagles more than Felder. The other Eagles avoid talking about him so his comments would go unchallenged without Eagles fans expressing their views.

The fact that his career success is entirely reliant on his past with the Eagles doesn't help either.

There's a lot of focus on the "3 more songs" incident. The band broke up and got back together since then. I expect Felder got a clean slate, a second chance, another opportunity to amend his 70s behavior. In 2001 Frey had, once again, had enough of him. The first time the blame may have been shared, the second time everybody knew where the problem lay.

Felder was nasty in response to his sacking, now he's dished the dirt he wants everyone to pretend it never happened. Felder turned on his former band mates and hasn't changed his stance since. Until he does he is still an adversary of the band despite anything he says in self promotion.

I'm glad Felder has got some loyal fans, I just don't understand why they aren't satisfied with his career beyond the Eagles. Why are Felder fans so obsessed with the Eagles?

Out of the last 36 years, Felder was an Eagles for only 6 of them which roughly match his first installment as an Eagle. If he'd rejoined for LROOE, it's likely he would have already been ditched again by now. :-)

I'm reluctant to say more here. However, I basically agree with this except for the last paragraph. Where did THAT come from?

But I also have to say that the reason Felder fans are obsessed with the Eagles is the miniscule amount of music Felder has made on his own. Two albums & a couple of soundtrack songs; one album in 15 years. He presents himself as an Eagles tribute act. He's the one who won't let the Eagles go.

Freypower
07-18-2016, 07:01 PM
Wha???? lol

I cannot imagine the Eagles without Joe or Don or preferably both. The rockin' Eagles is a good Eagles. For me, their early country sound is meh. I'm not the world's biggest Bernie fan, but I give him props for paving the way. I just cannot imagine the Eagles going back to a sound reminiscent of their first two albums.

I think it fuels my fire that some people would be happy with any lineup as long as Glenn and Don would have been there. I'm sorry, but I would have never given them a dime if Walsh wasn't there. It was hard enough without Felder. Walsh contributed so much to the Eagles that I prefer him in the Eagles over the James Gang or solo stuff. I like his solo tunes best in the Eagles live shows. I just cannot imagine and Eagles going on without Joe Walsh in it. It seems ludicrous to me.

Again, I think the Eagles were best suited as a commercial classic rock band, and not a country-rock outfit. I feel their best work had Felder and Joe in it, and I feel the work with Felder and Bernie was better than Bernie alone. I'm not a fan of the older country sound. To me I want some loud distorted guitars and some uptempo rockers or songs with great singing guitar solos in them.

It's safe to say that if the band had kept their more country-tinged sound of Desperado forward, I would not be an Eagles fan. For me it was never about soft country-rock and harmony vocals, it was always about good rock guitar and great singers who could really rock when they wanted to. Not acoustic guitars and Telecasters and twangy harmony vocals lol.

Joe brought SO much to their live shows, he stole the show in the second half and they were happy to let him. He brought a ton of energy and fun, even when they were all stuffy with those funeral suits in the LROOE period. Joe brought so much to the band, a band that was at times a bit too formal. I don't see Bernie or Felder or Steuart running around with a camera on their head. And the band needed that. I firmly believe at times it was too stuffy, and Joe helped relieve that.

I know how strongly you feel about this, but when you write about this you make them sound like a completely different band from what they actually were. Even in the songs you like, when were the guitars every particularly loud or distorted? As for 'not acoustic guitars & harmonies'... a lot of people went to the Eagles for that, not for the small percentage of the sound to which you refer.

I find your statement that you can't imagine the Eagles without Joe or Felder somewhat disingenous as you know very well Felder didn't join until 1974, Joe a year after that & there was no Felder after 2001. As F50 said, you don't have to imagine it. It's a fact.

Regarding Joe stealing the show, I know all that, but I have to say that for me personally when I saw them for the last time last year, there was far too much of that & not enough of the rest of the band. I was there to see the Eagles, not Joe & a backing band. I always felt this way when I thought one member was too dominant at any one time.

WalshFan88
07-18-2016, 07:07 PM
I know how strongly you feel about this, but when you write about this you make them sound like a completely different band from what they actually were. Even in the songs you like, when were the guitars every particularly loud or distorted? As for 'not acoustic guitars & harmonies'... a lot of people went to the Eagles for that, not for the small percentage of the sound to which you refer.

Already Gone, Life In The Fast Lane, In The City, Heartache Tonight, Those Shoes, James Dean, Victim Of Love, etc. I don't mean Metallica-level distorted, but I don't mean clean Take It Easy-style guitar either. I realize I'm in the minority but they DID have a good number of rocking songs that I find pretty special. If they only did Take It Easy/Peaceful Easy Feeling type numbers, I wouldn't be a fan. I realize most people are all about the vocals. I find their guitar sound quite underrated here.

I find your statement that you can't imagine the Eagles without Joe or Felder somewhat disingenous as you know very well Felder didn't join until 1974, Joe a year after that & there was no Felder after 2001. As F50 said, you don't have to imagine it. It's a fact.

My statement about imagining was if the band got rid of them after they joined. That's what I mean. I can't imagine the band once they had Joe going on without him. It was hard enough for me to lose Felder. I, of course, realize there was a time where it was just Bernie, and as I stated in my post, I was not real happy with that era of the band. I'm quite aware there was a time in the band where those two weren't in it. I couldn't imagine them going back to that sound, basically, without at least one of those guys.

WalshFan88
07-18-2016, 07:10 PM
You don't have to imagine it WalshFan88 . Listen to the first couple of Eagles albums or even parts of their most recent,Long Road Out Of Eden album.

As I just wrote to FP, I'm well aware of those two albums, in fact I addressed it in my post. I do not like that sound, and my "imagine" statement meant I can't imagine them playing a show without Joe once they had him. It was bad enough losing Felder.

I'm not a fan of LROOE.

My favorite Eagles is On The Border through The Long Run.

My favorites of theirs are ones where Felder or Joe or both played a part in that rockin' guitar sound. It may be a smaller percentage but they exist and I love them and it's why I love the band. If that doesn't measure up to being a "real fan", so be it, but I love them for my own reasons, even if it's different than most (I'm used to being in a minority and I'm cool with that).

In the guitar community, the team of Walsh and Felder is well respected and the Eagles are well known for having a great guitar team and sound and signature tones and solos. It's just that most people focus on their great harmony abilities. But in the guitar playing scope of things, a lot of guys love them for their guitar licks and sound and style.

chaim
07-18-2016, 10:38 PM
Wha???? lol

I understand your point of view, but this is the one part looks weird. Bernie with Felder is better than Bernie alone. Where's Glenn? As far as I know Glenn worked more with Felder guitarwise than Bernie - in the rockier material at any rate. Already Gone, Too Many Hands...But I guess you mean in addition to Glenn you prefer both Bernie and Felder to just Bernie...It just looks like Glenn didn't play guitar at all. But I know that you know better. :rockguitar:

WalshFan88
07-18-2016, 11:26 PM
I understand your point of view, but this is the one part looks weird. Bernie with Felder is better than Bernie alone. Where's Glenn? As far as I know Glenn worked more with Felder guitarwise than Bernie - in the rockier material at any rate. Already Gone, Too Many Hands...But I guess you mean in addition to Glenn you prefer both Bernie and Felder to just Bernie...It just looks like Glenn didn't play guitar at all. But I know that you know better. :rockguitar:

Absolutely because Glenn was a consistent member. I've praised him a lot. I mean, his solo in Already Gone is a top fav and a fav to play live. I've always thought he could have let loose more than he did, and I certainly consider him to be the rhythm guitar glue when the others did play lead guitar. But of course, yes Glenn too. I'm just referring more to the members that have changed out. My bad.

For me, my favorite stuff will always be Frey, Felder, and Walsh.
Second favorite would be Frey, Felder, and Leadon.
Least favorite would be just Frey and Leadon just because Bernie's more country and with Felder and then Walsh those three could really go to town on some rock guitar.

Frey and Felder did work together a lot on the more "rock n' roll" stuff and I certainly see them as shining stars in the OOTN period. My favorite song of the Frey/Leadon guitar team was Witchy Woman, because Glenn has a rock solo in that.

Funk 50
07-19-2016, 05:57 AM
I recognise that the dual guitars of Walsh and Felder was a signature Eagles sound. It's definitely missing on Long Road Out Of Eden and probably on the 4 new HFO songs too.

They've reproduced that sound on a few Walsh albums, with tracks like At The Station, Rivers Of The Hidden Funk and Told You So but Felder didn't show any desire to extend the team beyond the Eagles. he opted to scrub Joe and play all the guitar parts himself on his solo tracks. I can't think of a credible reason why he'd do that.

If Walsh was sacked in 2001 rather than Felder, his fans would have been overjoyed. The promise of proper albums and tours without the diversion of the Eagles would have been heaven.

Frey and Henley got the most money, they should've been able to cope without Joe.

UndertheWire
07-19-2016, 07:27 AM
This is really getting off-topic, but how many albums and tours did Joe record between 1997 and 2001? There was little Eagles work to get in the way and he wasn't under Eagles management and yet, the only album releases were compilations of old recordings. Whatever his fans may have thought, the problem wasn't his Eagles committment. Maybe it was family life that got in the way.

I understand why Don Felder would have recorded all the guitar parts - it gave him the freedom to do what he wanted at a time when he wanted without having to deal with other people's problems. Many years later, he brought in other guitarists for Road to Forever.

Felder, Joe, Glenn and whoever, made their choices because they seemed the best of the options available to them at the time, and personal issues were probably as big a factor as musical ones. Their lives and their choices. Our only choice is whether to listen to the music they recorded or played in concert.

Funk 50
08-23-2016, 05:11 AM
STYX & DON FELDER: RENEGADES IN THE FAST LANE

Don's ditched his Hotel California billing, switching to "The Fast Lane". Will Don, Joe and the Eagles legal team let him get away with it?

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/news.php

“I’m so excited to be sharing the stage at The Venetian with my good friends STYX,” said DON FELDER. “This is going to be one ‘ROCKING’ show in the most ‘ROCKING’ city in the U.S. Come join the fun and party with STYX and I this January. See you there.”

Looks like Don will be dropping Seven Bridges Road, Tequila Sunrise and Peaceful Easy Feeling from his set list. I didn't realise that Las Vegas was "the most ‘ROCKING’ city in the U.S" :eyebrow:

UndertheWire
08-23-2016, 05:53 AM
He might keep 7BR.
Here's the setlist from the show he did with Styx earlier this year - just 9 songs.
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/don-felder/2016/volvo-car-stadium-charleston-sc-73febac9.html

Freypower
08-23-2016, 05:32 PM
STYX & DON FELDER: RENEGADES IN THE FAST LANE

Don's ditched his Hotel California billing, switching to "The Fast Lane". Will Don, Joe and the Eagles legal team let him get away with it?

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/news.php

Looks like Don will be dropping Seven Bridges Road, Tequila Sunrise and Peaceful Easy Feeling from his set list. I didn't realise that Las Vegas was "the most ‘ROCKING’ city in the U.S" :eyebrow:

I don't see why he can't use The Fast Lane. He isn't using the entire song title.

That isn't much of a setlist.

MaryCalifornia
08-23-2016, 11:40 PM
*...party with Styx and me** Fixed it for him.

Vegas is definitely the hot spot and has been for a few years. Depends where they're playing, but it's a good move for him. Hope to see some reviews!

edit: oh duh, Venetian. Nice!

Funk 50
10-08-2016, 05:43 AM
It's incredible that a fledgling artist could have such a roster of superstars playing on her first album but in 1977 Glenda Griffith released her first andonly album, produced by Don Henley with Jim Ed Norman, engineered by Bill Szymczyk and backed by a plethora of big name musicians.

http://labibledelawestcoast.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/glenda-griffith-glenda-griffith-1977.html

Here's Felder and Walsh doing the guitar duties on Night Eyes;

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bkqmz_glenda-griffith-glenda-griffith-03-night-eyes_music

03 - Night Eyes
Glenda Griffith : Vocals
Don Felder & Joe Walsh : Electric Guitar
Willie Weeks : Bass Guitar
Mike Botts : Drums
Bob Carpenter : Electric Organ
Jay Ferguson : Piano
Karla Bonoff, Valerie Carter, Don Henley & J.D. Souther : Harmony Vocals

Eagles7
10-12-2016, 11:02 PM
Those guys sure played good guitar!! Hope one day to see them do a show together!

Delilah
10-12-2016, 11:49 PM
This from an article that discusses the stretch of road that inspired "Seven Bridges Road" and includes a nice shout out to Don F's performance of the song.

Music aficionados who are still fans of “Seven Bridges Road” can hear an excellent rendition in modern times, performed in concert by ex-Eagle Don Felder and his band. Felder’s version utilizes electric bass and drums in addition to churning acoustic guitars, and the harmony vocals are impeccable. The result is yet another classic interpretation of the iconic song.

http://primemontgomery.com/?p=14787

UndertheWire
10-13-2016, 05:38 AM
Here's a new interview. I found the headline excrutiating but the rest of it is better. He has an EP coming out at the end of the year.

http://www.scmp.com/culture/music/article/2027655/ex-eagles-guitarist-don-felder-cant-wait-play-hong-kongs-beautiful

WalshFan88
10-13-2016, 09:53 PM
I'm hoping the newspeople chose that headline as I don't think Don would have.

I'm looking forward to the new EP... I love Road To Forever.

sodascouts
10-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Yes, that headline is pretty awful! AFAIK the artists interviewed have no say in that, Austin, so it's very possible that Felder wouldn't approve. If I were him, I'd be cringing!

This upcoming EP is big news. I'll make a new thread for it.

chaim
10-14-2016, 12:46 PM
I don't mind the headline (if you're talking about playing to "beautiful women"). Just a harmless little joke IMO, and I don't see any hint of groupie stuff or anything like that in it. It's not a great headline, but it doesn't irritate me either.

sodascouts
10-14-2016, 01:03 PM
It just emphasizes the wrong thing. It makes Don sound shallow. He made a throwaway, harmless joke and they turn that into the headline rather than something more substantive.

I'm not trying to say it's a HUGE deal, but as I said earlier, I do find it cringe-worthy.

chaim
10-14-2016, 01:12 PM
I get your point. I guess Don Felder is the wrong artist for that kind of a headline. Would have worked better with Freddie Mercury.

UndertheWire
10-14-2016, 02:17 PM
I'm sure Don didn't pick the headline and it's not a direct quote. However, it was a bad first impression because it sounds so smarmy.

Eagles7
10-14-2016, 04:43 PM
DonFelder and Joe Walsh chosen as Top 3rd best guitar solos for HC! Cool!

http://www.kshe95.com/news/real-rock-news/jimmy-page-david-gilmour-and-don-felder-joe-walsh-top-greatest-guitar-solo-list

Eagles7
10-14-2016, 05:02 PM
Somebody was asking why Don didn't invite Joe in on Airborne. In his book he talked about He and Timothy and Joe trying to put a group together in the 80s, but Joe wouldn't show up at times and I think he began to get more heavily into addiction, so they couldn't depend on him. they got a couple of other guys and out of those sessions came Love Will Keep is Alive-- have to go look up the name of the author, who was recording with them. They put some music down and Irving was pushing it, but then came back and said no contract. So they never put it out.. LWKIA was picked up for HFO.

UndertheWire
10-14-2016, 05:35 PM
Somebody was asking why Don didn't invite Joe in on Airborne. In his book he talked about He and Timothy and Joe trying to put a group together in the 80s, but Joe wouldn't show up at times and I think he began to get more heavily into addiction, so they couldn't depend on him. they got a couple of other guys and out of those sessions came Love Will Keep is Alive-- have to go look up the name of the author, who was recording with them. They put some music down and Irving was pushing it, but then came back and said no contract. So they never put it out.. LWKIA was picked up for HFO.
That part of Don's book is very muddled. It's not clear when he tried to form a group with Joe and Timothy (and Terry Reid) but it may have been the mid-80s. The one with Love Will Keep Us Alive is probably from 1992 (Timothy mentions the plan in an interview when he was in Ringo's All Star Band).

If you're interested, I tried to put together a timeline for Don's activities here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=292193&postcount=802)

I've been reading Marc Eliot's book again and he says that DOn Felder toured with Dan Fogelberg but Don doesn't mention it in his own book. Has anyone heard about this and if so, when did it happen?

Delilah
10-14-2016, 07:51 PM
Here's a new interview. I found the headline excrutiating but the rest of it is better. He has an EP coming out at the end of the year.

http://www.scmp.com/culture/music/article/2027655/ex-eagles-guitarist-don-felder-cant-wait-play-hong-kongs-beautiful

For some reason I'm unable to open the article. I have no idea what the headline is but I would guess it just didn't translate well if it was originally in Chinese.

chaim
10-15-2016, 02:16 AM
But...once again he has his unique way of promoting his recent activities:

"The only responses I would get would be from lawyers. I regret that Glenn and I were never able to sit down, have lunch, have a laugh and dispel that anger. They just didn’t care to do that. I expect that even with Don, it will be that way going forward.”

"They just didn’t care to do that." Yep, if only they had been more civilized.

sodascouts
10-15-2016, 10:58 AM
SIGH. Yes, Glenn's death has become his new segue into complaining about his treatment - talking about how terribly sorry he is that Glenn was so awful that they couldn't reconcile before he died. He really has no shame when it comes to this thematic hobby horse, and he will be riding it for the rest of his life, I'm afraid. Funny how the guy who's "let it go" is the only one still talking about it to the press, and I think he will be complaining about it in every interview until the day HE dies.

10-15-2016, 02:49 PM
I couldn't agree with you more, Soda. You nailed it. And if that's not enough, as recently as this week, he is still posting about the Kennedy Center Honors on his Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/donfeldermusic/?fref=ts). I guess these are effective strategies in keeping his page active. I wonder if he'll still be complaining about this many years from now as well. :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

Delilah
10-15-2016, 09:33 PM
Gosh, I guess I see things differently than some of you. To me, Don is simply answering a question from a reporter. It's unfortunate that the same questions get raised over and over, but I don't see how that's his fault. I don't think he is consciously trying to use this answer to "promote" his work.That doesn't make sense to me. I suppose he could tell the media ahead of time not to ask certain questions, but that isn't how he rolls, given the revealing book he wrote. It would seem like he has something to hide if he did so now. If he were to change his answer from the standard one he's been giving all this time, that would probably raise even more questions. I certainly don't take the answer as Glenn being some awful person, just that they were unable to resolve things.

He posted about the KCH petition to let his fans know about the outcome. I don't see how that's so unreasonable. He hasn't made any comment about it that I know of, much less one that is complaining. He has certainly posted about a lot of other things. It seems he's in a really good place in his life and career now but it seems inevitable these issues won't go away, at least as far as the press is concerned.

WalshFan88
10-16-2016, 12:04 AM
I absolutely feel Don F should be honored at the KCH...I've said so in the thread.

I was and still am disappointed with Don's comments after the Grammy awards show about not being included and the comments about the guys. I felt it was the wrong message at the wrong time and place and wasn't very respectful, after he made a big blurb with positivity towards Glenn. It cheapened his statement and even I didn't like it and I'm a diehard Felder fan and proud to be so so I can imagine that Glenn's fans really didn't like it.

Similarly, I wish the KCH thing was already done and over with. I think Don should probably refrain from any more statements on this particular award as much as I supported that petition, I think it's in his best interest to just let it go as people will misconstrue it and it will further enrage GF/DH fans. I hope he doesn't make any comments as harsh as the ones after the Grammy tribute and if he does, I'll certainly call him on it. But yeah, I think him just posting the link was ok, but I hope that's where it ends. It paints him in a bad light that I don't think is true (I think he IS a nice guy who loves his fans and music), but it IS by his own doing and anyone would start to wonder about him and it confirms some people's thoughts of him that may or may not be true.

I'm still upset by the lack of his inclusion but it's too late to change it now and I just will be glad when the KCH former member drama is a thing of the past and I think we can ALL agree on that, no matter if you wanted the former members included or not, it will be good to eventually not have to discuss it all the time.

Generally speaking, I think as far as bringing up the Eagles all the time, I think part of that is to blame with the interviewer. He should deny them, yes, but they should also find other things to ask about. I think it's a two way street there.

chaim
10-16-2016, 03:06 AM
Gosh, I guess I see things differently than some of you. To me, Don is simply answering a question from a reporter. It's unfortunate that the same questions get raised over and over, but I don't see how that's his fault. I don't think he is consciously trying to use this answer to "promote" his work.That doesn't make sense to me. I suppose he could tell the media ahead of time not to ask certain questions, but that isn't how he rolls, given the revealing book he wrote. It would seem like he has something to hide if he did so now. If he were to change his answer from the standard one he's been giving all this time, that would probably raise even more questions. I certainly don't take the answer as Glenn being some awful person, just that they were unable to resolve things.

He posted about the KCH petition to let his fans know about the outcome. I don't see how that's so unreasonable. He hasn't made any comment about it that I know of, much less one that is complaining. He has certainly posted about a lot of other things. It seems he's in a really good place in his life and career now but it seems inevitable these issues won't go away, at least as far as the press is concerned.

I wasn't being very clear...It was sarcastic. I didn't mean he's actually promoting his activities. I meant that he's not promoting them, and that's weird. He's doing something cool, but in an interview the main focus seems to be Glenn and Don H not talking to him. Sure he's asked about it, but by now he should tell them beforehand "no questions about...". It's really getting tired, except for those who hate G & D already. It's very enjoyable to read/listen to interviews with Felder where there's none of that.

Of course Felder doesn't always make personal comments when he posts those links on Facebook. He lets his fans to the bashing. (Well, IMO 8))

No matter what my own opinion is about this stuff, I love the fact that there are people here who feel just the opposite. It often gives me food for thought.

UndertheWire
10-16-2016, 09:11 AM
We just have to accept that Don Felder for the way he is, just like we have to do so with Don Henley and Glenn Frey.

Felder seems to see almost everything in terms of how it impacts him and finds someone to blame. We all do this to some extent, but Don takes it further. It's a character flaw, but not something than prevents him from being good to fans or being a "nice guy" in most situations.

What I find frustrating is the fans who seem blind to Felder's faults and put all the blame onto Henley and Frey. When they post their unconditional support on his Facebook, they validate his behaviour.

Anyway, good for Don that he is recording new music and performing.

sodascouts
10-16-2016, 11:43 PM
Of course Felder doesn't always make personal comments when he posts those links on Facebook. He lets his fans to the bashing. (Well, IMO 8))

Yep. If he just wanted to announce the outcome of the petition, he would not allow comments. It's obvious he wants the comments. By posting it on Facebook, he's basically inviting his fans to show their "support" and sadly, most of them do that by bashing Glenn and Don. Felder does nothing to stop them and thus seems to tacitly approve. Obviously his fans have the impression that their comments please him.

Now that Glenn is gone, Don Henley is bearing the brunt of the ugliness, but there are still plenty willing to kick dirt upon Glenn's grave in the name of "supporting" Felder. They have also started attacking Tim and Joe.

Here are a few gems from the comments to his post, taken from just the first 250 (there are over 1300 at last count but I wearied of reading them). I have posted them unedited, which means there is offensive language. I apologize, but I felt the comments should be left as they are so you can see for yourself what they're like.

While not all of the comments are like this, from the sampling I saw, they make up a considerable percentage.

[WARNING: VULGAR LANGUAGE]

Bruce: "F-k Henley. Frey was a total a-hole. Greedy f'ers. You are Eagles as much or more. What stupidity."

Scott: "Glenn Frey and Don Henley, are the ones responsible for all of the crap, that The Eagles went through. Greedy, arrogant, assholes."

Mellie: "People will find a way to punish Henley. Maybe his Walden Pond project"

Michael: "Henley is a dick. End of story."

Paul: "Glen Frey was a prick. Period."

Murray: "Henley is a cunt"

Chad: "Fuck henley and frey"

Guven: "You are one vindictive gentleman Mr Henley... Probably got a cash register where your soul should be..."

Kevin: "Henley doesn't deserved the title of gentleman...greedy prick is more like it"

Jeff: "#donhenleyisahater (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/donhenleyisahater?hc_location=ufi)"

Frank: "Henley is portraying himself as a self obsessed egotistical cxxt in bed with the management (az)"

Tim: "Seems as if that dirtbag Azoff manipulated things to his benefit. Also Frey was obviously a narcissist who felt threatened by Don Felder and acted accordingly."

Dylan: "horseshit, Don Henley can suck a dick"

Randy: "Don & Glenn turned out to be backstabbing ego-maniacs."

Pat: "I hope Henley doesn't live to regret this."

Paul: "Henly is calling the shots and this just continues my opinion now and when I met him that he is an arrogant egotistical asshole !!!"

Paula: "henley is dispicable.. and everyone should start boycotting his shows and cds...."

Rudy: "Don henley is a big cock! His solo stuff now is irrelevant and has been since 1998. His ego needs to be deflated. He basically flipped off the fans. Bullshit"

Monty: "Don Henley is a horrible human being"

Paul: "Frey and Henley (were) are douchebags."

Mark: "Henley's a Bastard."

Scottie: "Is don Henley that got dam fing stupid!! Fuk you don! You're a washed up hack never was has been that wasnt sh! T without don felder! Eat sh! T and piss off henley"

As mentioned earlier, it's not just Glenn and Don getting trashed:
Greg: "Too bad Henley had both testicles removed. And from The sound of it, so did Joe & Timothy. Disgusting."

Mark: "As for T. Schmidt, all he ever did was be in the right place at the right time. His 'contributions' are few and weak."

Peter: "re Schmit. IMHO he just wasn't/isn't the talent that Meisner was. Get a haircut mate and eat some meat."

Kenneth: "joe Walsh Tim scmidt Just ride the originals coattails. Political dumbasses."

Martin: "Aren't Walsh and lil' Timmy brave enough to tell Henley that he's being a dick, or are they dicks too?"

Paul: "Piss on the Kennedy Center and piss on the current Eagles band. Stinking, greedy, arrogant pigs. Yea, Joe Walch is such a poster boy for the band. A drunken/addict, hotel destroying, idiot that never became a partner in the band as Felder was. Absolutelty deplorable. Glenn Frey...Rest In Pi..!"

Felder isn't even standing up for his "friends" Joe and Tim. He allows ugliness like the above (the last one I quoted was especially appalling) to go unchallenged on his Facebook timeline.

I hope Felder deletes that post. If he wanted validation from his fans, he's gotten it. The post really serves no other purpose but to be a platform for vicious comments about the remaining Eagles.

Eagles7
10-17-2016, 01:36 AM
Well, you can't always control what other people say on any forum, unfortunately, some people don't use appropriate filters in their on-line conversation. I'm not sure how reposting so many negative comments on here is helpful on an Eagles site, where there are fans of all 7 Eagles. I'd glanced at that post when it first showed up and saw a lot of positive supportive posts-- the majority of them. Several threads here seemed to turn into a bash of Felder about what he does say or what he fails to say.

I finding it upsetting that three Eagles who were part of the band in its most artistic and productive period are not included in the honors. I feel upset that the current group feels they are "carrying the torch" and aren't honest enough with themselves to admit that the torch was lit a long time ago and every single one of those guys struck a match.

Mostly I'm upset that the best selling, most accomplished American band won't take the high road and allow each member to be honored, that they can't see what a statement they could make by honoring the best of each of them and letting go of the worst. That's what really makes me sad, and it disappoints me that fans want to carry some of the same old wounds and attack each other and Members of the Eagles. JMO

UndertheWire
10-17-2016, 07:35 AM
But...once again he has his unique way of promoting his recent activities:

"The only responses I would get would be from lawyers. I regret that Glenn and I were never able to sit down, have lunch, have a laugh and dispel that anger. They just didn’t care to do that. I expect that even with Don, it will be that way going forward.”

"They just didn’t care to do that." Yep, if only they had been more civilized.
It's quite an interesting statement. He could be right that there was a chance that if he and Glenn had bumped into each, they would have been able to laugh and break that tension. And if Glenn had softened, Henley might have followed. I think memories of how it had turned sour before would have prevented them from working together.

My speculation is that although it was Glenn's dislike of Felder that led to Felder being fired and Henley went along with it to keep Frey happy, it was the lawsuit and bad press that turned Henley against Felder. He seems to be a man who values his reputation and being accused of unfair practices would hurt.

chaim
10-17-2016, 08:30 AM
Well, the title of the thread is "Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.", so IMO it's fine to talk about what happens on his Facebook page. IMO he should calm those people down and I've said this many times. Some of those offensive comments about Glenn and Don H Soda posted should hurt him - especially ones about his ex-bandmate who is no longer with us.

I understand Eagles7's point well, and personally I'd prefer all the ex-members there too, but those fans are being just plain rude. Plus they know (or choose to accept) only one side of the story.

VillageGirl
10-18-2016, 04:35 AM

I see things the same way Delilah, but it appears we are most certainly in the minority. :sigh:

chaim
10-18-2016, 12:29 PM
People who complain about Felder visit this part of the forum because they are interested in what he's doing. And then they are disappointed when the same old thing keeps coming up in interviews and on Facebook. At least that's my theory. That's how it is with me. So the "why come here if you feel this or that way" is a pointless question IMO. I don't think anyone visits any place in this forum to feel bad. Should one stop reading the papers if one doesn't like people fighting each other?

Having said that I don't enjoy the fact that this seems to be an uncomfortable place for those who are big Felder fans. I will try to remember that when I make posts.

VillageGirl
10-18-2016, 12:41 PM
But why can't you just ignore it? Is it like a car accident you can't look away from and the temptation to make a nasty or passive aggressive remark about Felder, Randy, or Bernie to get a laugh or whatever is just too great?

A lot of us like the former members and would like to be able to discuss what is,going on in their lives without a constant bitchy or sarcastic remark thrown in. You all just ripped Funk 50 a new one, but what you're doing is not much better. It's sad and pathetic. If you don't have anything nice to post, is it so hard to zip it?

chaim
10-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Ok, I'll do that.

travlnman2
10-18-2016, 01:52 PM
You guys think that Don and Glenn got the bad end of the stick. That is nothing compared to the undeserved hate Axl Rose has gotten for 23 years the backlash was a spin story from Slash and Duff who made up all the BS lies about him

travlnman2
10-18-2016, 01:54 PM
People who complain about Felder visit this part of the forum because they are interested in what he's doing. And then they are disappointed when the same old thing keeps coming up in interviews and on Facebook. At least that's my theory. That's how it is with me. So the "why come here if you feel this or that way" is a pointless question IMO. I don't think anyone visits any place in this forum to feel bad. Should one stop reading the papers if one doesn't like people fighting each other?

Having said that I don't enjoy the fact that this seems to be an uncomfortable place for those who are big Felder fans. I will try to remember that when I make posts.
Exactly every interview is the same for me and its tiring. I don't think he likes it either but is not willing to say no questions about the Eagles.

Freypower
10-18-2016, 05:43 PM
But why can't you just ignore it? Is it like a car accident you can't look away from and the temptation to make a nasty or passive aggressive remark about Felder, Randy, or Bernie to get a laugh or whatever is just too great?

A lot of us like the former members and would like to be able to discuss what is,going on in their lives without a constant bitchy or sarcastic remark thrown in. You all just ripped Funk 50 a new one, but what you're doing is not much better. It's sad and pathetic. If you don't have anything nice to post, is it so hard to zip it?

It isn't really appropriate to try & tell someone not to post in these forums because you disagree with their posts. You can't tell someone to be quiet because they might upset you. You also cannot tell fans of the last Eagles lineup not to visit this forum.

People who object to Felder's conduct have as much right to their opinions as those who think he is a victim. And I should stress - it is Felder we are talking about here. I haven't seen too many digs at Randy or Bernie. Their forums are normally extremely quiet, because they are not very active. I understand that is frustratiing for their fans.

How I wish we did not have this Fans Of The Former Members sect on this board. It is unnecessary & divisive.

travlnman2
10-18-2016, 06:08 PM
`Both sides have their own version of the truth even third parties have a side. We know one side but not the other. Unless Henley or Glenn's family release separate autobiographies to counter Felder's book we will never know what THEY THOUGHT of the situation. We can defend EACH party by saying what we think they did and why but for me I take everything with a grain of salt until we know everything and then draw a conclusion.

`What frustrates me is that have gone into a lot more detail in the HOTE doc to voice more of their side but we really didn't it could be that they could not talk about it legally but IMO they shot themselves in the foot for not going more in depth. It was really one scene we got and that's what I think made people even more angry is because we didn't get any SPECIFIC reasons just emotions.

travlnman2
10-18-2016, 06:09 PM
How I wish we did not have this Fans Of The Former Members sect on this board. It is unnecessary & divisive.

Alot of Irony in this statement.

Freypower
10-18-2016, 06:25 PM
Alot of Irony in this statement.

I don't see why.

I'm not commenting further. I don't want to see any more fighting. What I said was an honest opinion.

10-18-2016, 07:00 PM
Well - I will comment on Don Felder.

In most instances, members only come in these forums and criticize him when he instigates it with remarks in interviews or posts on social media.

Don Felder can absolutely control both what he talks about in interviews and what he posts on his Facebook page.

Why is it that interviewers don’t pursue this same line of questioning with the other band members? Well – it’s an easy answer … it’s because they avoid answering the questions. Nor do you ever see any of the other members using social media to bring up grievances they have or had with other band members.

When he posts anything related to the Eagles on his Facebook page – he knows exactly what the fan reaction is going to be – he doesn’t have to say a thing to solicit comments. This is not anything new – it’s something he has done repeatedly for many years now. The reason fans keep dwelling on the negative stuff is because Felder keeps dwelling on it – plain and simple.

travlnman2
10-18-2016, 07:40 PM
I don't see why.

I'm not commenting further. I don't want to see any more fighting. What I said was an honest opinion.

Because you said you wished not to have the former members section.

Are you trying to say that you want to remove the former members section and have Bernie Randy and Felder as members? Help me out here

WalshFan88
10-18-2016, 08:02 PM
You all just ripped Funk 50 a new one, but what you're doing is not much better. It's sad and pathetic. If you don't have anything nice to post, is it so hard to zip it?

VG-

I was the one who did most of the so called "ripping", because he was being very cold and cruel to Glenn's fans and Eagles fans who care about it (I'm in the latter).

I agree with you that the comments about DF are a bit unfair, and I'm one of the biggest Felder supporters on here. However, I do wish that he shut off comments on Facebook to keep people from spewing hate about the rest of the Eagles. By not doing so, he opens himself to criticism from Glenn and Don H fans as well as general Eagles fans such as myself. I am not saying that is the reason every time someone makes a snide remark about him, but it does occur. Still, it's upsetting.

I agree than Don Felder gets a bad rap here, and I've mostly accepted it. I think the comments made about him are a bit harsh, but ultimately you can't force people to not post in this section or on this forum. There are times in the past I wished for that, but it's just not fair and not a good way to go about things.

What I DO wish for is there to be less drama all around and that we largely stick to talking about positive things, or at least try to be less angry at each other. I've almost left several times but I keep coming back for one reason - there is more of what unites us than divides us, and there are good people here who have all a common interest - the Eagles. We all have our favorites and our own thoughts on things that happened but I wish we could focus on what brings us together.

It comes back to the old saying "Can't we all just get along"? I know I feel that way about this and most certainly about the political stuff going on right now. I feel people defriending and bashing "friends" for their political choices or making remarks is just uncalled for. We should be uniting as one rather than tearing ourselves apart and not just as a country but as a human race. However, in reality, that likely will never happen. But if we all do our part, it would help...

The reason F50's post upset me personally as an Eagles fan is that he was purposefully targeting people who are still very wounded and upset over GF's passing. I felt that was low. I didn't necessarily love the man or his personality, but he WAS a huge part of the Eagles and he deserves better. Otherwise, I must take into question if someone is a fan of the band as a whole or just one or two members. Me, I came into the band by Joe Walsh and Don Felder. We ALL have our favorites, and favorites aside, as a fan of the whole band I thought it was rather mean and uncalled for. And it's not like it's the first time he's done this. He's even tried to stir me up on things, and I had to learn to ignore him. But for the fact he keeps doing it, and sake of the sanity and peace on this board, I felt inclined to respond to him. As I said in that thread, it's one thing to make comments that are polarizing or maybe not shared by the people at large and that some may find untrue, but it's another to target a certain group of people with the sole intention of playing with their emotions or to cause them pain or any kind of burden. It worries me, because that's a very troubling thing to do.

Again, I'm one of Don's biggest fans and I certainly don't appreciate what some say about him here. But sometimes, not always, but sometimes he instigates stuff. I have on many cases called out certain people for specific comments about Felder I felt were unfair or untrue (just search around). I will continue to do so as I see fit. But I'm in total agreement that we should as a whole avoid making negative comments that may upset fans of a particular member past or present, but we can't keep them out or tell them not to post. That would be wrong, at least IMO. It would be like a dictatorship. But it's ultimately up to the moderators and administrator to make decisions on this message board. Certainly not me.

I'd just like the board going forward to become a drama-free zone and that we respect all members and we refrain from nasty comments to one another OR that we attack members. Again folks, we all share at least one common interest. Let's stick to that. And I'm talking to everyone who bashes anyone here, including me.

Freypower
10-18-2016, 08:14 PM
Because you said you wished not to have the former members section.

Are you trying to say that you want to remove the former members section and have Bernie Randy and Felder as members? Help me out here

I said no such thing.

I said I wished we didn't have a FANS of the Former Members SECT of Borderers who prefer the former Eagles & set themselves apart from other Borderers. Then they complain when other Borderers visit 'their' forums & dare to make comments. I repeat - it is divisive.

GlennLover
10-18-2016, 08:15 PM
VG-

I was the one who did most of the so called "ripping", because he was being very cold and cruel to Glenn's fans and Eagles fans who care about it (I'm in the latter).

I agree with you that the comments about DF are a bit unfair, and I'm one of the biggest Felder supporters on here. However, I do wish that he shut off comments on Facebook to keep people from spewing hate about the rest of the Eagles. By not doing so, he opens himself to criticism from Glenn and Don H fans as well as general Eagles fans such as myself. I am not saying that is the reason every time someone makes a snide remark about him, but it does occur. Still, it's upsetting.

I agree than Don Felder gets a bad rap here, and I've mostly accepted it. I think the comments made about him are a bit harsh, but ultimately you can't force people to not post in this section or on this forum. There are times in the past I wished for that, but it's just not fair and not a good way to go about things.

What I DO wish for is there to be less drama all around and that we largely stick to talking about positive things, or at least try to be less angry at each other. I've almost left several times but I keep coming back for one reason - there is more of what unites us than divides us, and there are good people here who have all a common interest - the Eagles. We all have our favorites and our own thoughts on things that happened but I wish we could focus on what brings us together.

It comes back to the old saying "Can't we all just get along"? I know I feel that way about this and most certainly about the political stuff going on right now. I feel people defriending and bashing "friends" for their political choices or making remarks is just uncalled for. We should be uniting as one rather than tearing ourselves apart and not just as a country but as a human race. However, in reality, that likely will never happen. But if we all do our part, it would help...

The reason F50's post upset me personally as an Eagles fan is that he was purposefully targeting people who are still very wounded and upset over GF's passing. I felt that was low. I didn't necessarily love the man or his personality, but he WAS a huge part of the Eagles and he deserves better. Otherwise, I must take into question if someone is a fan of the band as a whole or just one or two members. Me, I came into the band by Joe Walsh and Don Felder. We ALL have our favorites, and favorites aside, as a fan of the whole band I thought it was rather mean and uncalled for. And it's not like it's the first time he's done this. He's even tried to stir me up on things, and I had to learn to ignore him. But for the fact he keeps doing it, and sake of the sanity and peace on this board, I felt inclined to respond to him. As I said in that thread, it's one thing to make comments that are polarizing or maybe not shared by the people at large and that some may find untrue, but it's another to target a certain group of people with the sole intention of playing with their emotions or to cause them pain or any kind of burden. It worries me, because that's a very troubling thing to do.

Again, I'm one of Don's biggest fans and I certainly don't appreciate what some say about him here. But sometimes, not always, but sometimes he instigates stuff. I have on many cases called out certain people for specific comments about Felder I felt were unfair or untrue (just search around). I will continue to do so as I see fit. But I'm in total agreement that we should as a whole avoid making negative comments that may upset fans of a particular member past or present, but we can't keep them out or tell them not to post. That would be wrong, at least IMO. It would be like a dictatorship. But it's ultimately up to the moderators and administrator to make decisions on this message board. Certainly not me.

I'd just like the board going forward to become a drama-free zone and that we respect all members and we refrain from nasty comments to one another OR that we attack members. Again folks, we all share at least one common interest. Let's stick to that. And I'm talking to everyone who bashes anyone here, including me.

Very well said, Austin! I totally agree with you. I hope that your words are heeded.

travlnman2
10-18-2016, 08:29 PM
VG-

My postion exactly. That's why my pic is the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame photo because I don't care about former members or current members. They are all former members know. Personally I would like the style to change to more of the all 7 eagles because it would make people less divided. As well as getting rid of the current members and former member sections as well.

But hey its my opinon

WKMB55
10-18-2016, 08:50 PM
I think Felder is receiving so much criticism because he is the only member-- past or last lineup-- of the band posting about the Kennedy Center decision on the petition. This provides his fan base with a place to post their positive support for him (which is great!!) but also many, many negative, rude and disgusting comments. I haven't seen anything from Meisner personally or through his guardians or anything from Leadon either. If I remember correctly, Bernie was singing with Frey, Henley, Walsh and Schmit on the HOTE tour in 2015 when the KC made their original announcement. I would think that if Leadon was angry with the KC decision or any opinions that might have been expressed by the last Eagles lineup that he would have left the tour. The KC committee seeks neither permission nor approval from the general public when making their selection. I think I read a statement from the Kennedy Center awhile back that stated a petition would not change their decision.

VillageGirl
10-19-2016, 05:13 AM
You know, when I read that tidbit about Stevie Nicks disliking cellphones and social media, I totally agreed with her. I haven't logged onto FB for over a year, use my cell in my car or keep it on only when my family is not with me physically in case of an emergency.
I much prefer to be outside when health permits or in the company of others.
I think smartphones and social networking are great, just for other people.

Any day, I would rather have these sort of discussions in person than hiding behind a computer, but obviously, that is not possible. I don't use FB or Twitter, so how am I supposed to know what Felder or his fans post on there?

I am sorry.if people thought I meant ,"you should only say nice things on the former Eagles threads". I did not mean for it to come off that way. But when people start saying really lowlife expressions, such as,,"Felder should go fornicate himself", I have to make sure I haven't accidentally logged onto white trash central instead of an Eagles site.

I really love this band but there is.so much anger and negativity on here. Even bullying, especially from a.select few. I find I have to take a break from listening to them lately because instead of bringing a "Peaceful Easy Feeling", it just invokes sadness.

I feel badly for the newest members that have joined and wondered WTH is going on or been slammed by posting in the wrong place or having a difference of opinion.

Cathy

buffyfan145
10-19-2016, 10:24 AM
Social media really does have a dark side and even what I've seen through here since getting more involved with the Eagles fandom is nothing compared to some horrible things I've witnessed being part of current TV shows and movies fandoms. When you see part of the "fans" get so angry that their romantic pairing/ship isn't happening and start to target the writers, actors, and fans of the romantic pairing that is happening to the point where they send death threats, force the actors and writers to close their Twitter and other accounts, and even cause a fan to try to commit suicide it's just sickening. This is recently happening in the "Once Upon a Time" fandom but I also see in it most of the fandoms I'm involved in. There are good things about social media and bringing all of us together but the dark side is just scary and this election in the US has brought out even more horrible people. Yes, we have the right to free speech but people need to remember everyone has an opinion and you can't hide behind a computer and say things you would never say to someone in person.

That's why I'm all for sites including Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, and FaceBook to finally start moderating posts and actually banning troll accounts and stopping people from saying these horrible things. I even feel Twitter, FB, and other accounts that are celeb pages should be the main ones that are moderated and they need an option where they can have no replies. Also maybe have a filter so certain words are banned and stop the post from being made. It would help out so much.

I don't like things Felder has said in the past but I keep my thoughts to myself and still wish the best for him with his music. I agree he should tell interviewers to stop asking him those questions. I so wish people would go back to the old rule "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all." This world would be a much better place.

chaim
10-19-2016, 12:28 PM
I don't quite agree with this "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything" statement that people are now offering. Almost everyone who has criticized Felder's words and actions here has also said nice things about him. They are genuinely pleased when he's doing something musically or charity-wise. I may be the only one who has concentrated mostly on the negative, and I will stop that.

Gnrguy
10-19-2016, 01:37 PM
You guys think that Don and Glenn got the bad end of the stick. That is nothing compared to the undeserved hate Axl Rose has gotten for 23 years the backlash was a spin story from Slash and Duff who made up all the BS lies about him

Bullshit. Axl was a dick back in the day, there's no denying it. The dude made us wait HOURS for no reason, he pushed people away from him, he carried on the name with a fake band. Come on

travlnman2
10-19-2016, 01:56 PM
Bullshit. Axl was a dick back in the day, there's no denying it. The dude made us wait HOURS for no reason, he pushed people away from him, he carried on the name with a fake band. Come on

Its called Media Spin. What happend to Axl is exactly what Felder is doing to Henley and Frey. One guy releases a book claiming all these ridiculous accusations and the fans eat it up without knowing the other side/truth.

travlnman2
10-19-2016, 02:04 PM
I would also suggest being more carefull with using profainity.

Gnrguy
10-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Its called Media Spin. What happend to Axl is exactly what Felder is doing to Henley and Frey. One guy releases a book claiming all these ridiculous accusations and the fans eat it up without knowing the other side/truth.

Noooooo little man. I was there back in the day. I waited at the shows, that was no media spin. There is no grand conspiracy, and this shit happened LONG before slash's silly book. They're all idiots, and Axl is especially no angel. The guy marches to his own drum, it's part of his appeal, but he's pulled some really shitty stuff in he past

travlnman2
10-19-2016, 02:31 PM
Noooooo little man. I was there back in the day. I waited at the shows, that was no media spin. There is no grand conspiracy, and this shit happened LONG before slash's silly book. They're all idiots, and Axl is especially no angel. The guy marches to his own drum, it's part of his appeal, but he's pulled some really shitty stuff in he past

Thank you for proving my point. Great job.

Gnrguy
10-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Thank you for proving my point. Great job.

Care to explain how? It seems reading comprehension is extremely difficult for you, my apologies.

travlnman2
10-19-2016, 03:17 PM
Care to explain how? It seems reading comprehension is extremely difficult for you, my apologies.

My reading comprehension is just fine. Figure it out and read my last few posts the read yours again but pretend your a third party and understand.
what we are discussing here. Some of my fellow borders no what I mean.

I have no issues on my part.:thumbsup:

Delilah
10-19-2016, 05:57 PM

Thank you for this, WalshFan, I absolutely agree with you. I'm glad you stuck it out and came back; I certainly understand. Although I'm guessing no one has expressed a wish you were not on the board b/c you're such a rabble rouser.:roll: I've learned this can be an unnecessarily harsh environment but I also believe the positives outweigh the negatives. And yes, we all have our favorites and there's nothing wrong with that!

chaim
10-20-2016, 08:06 AM
I wanna make it clear that VillageGirl didn't hurt me in any way. At first I thought the "zip it" post was aimed at me, but then I realized that I recognized myself in it. I have often felt that I shouldn't write about it here every time something in a Felder interview (or on his Facebook page) makes me mad. My initial "ok, I'll do that" reply to VillageGirl's post was silly. Childish "boohoo, I'm a victim" stuff. Not very mature.

All I'm saying is that I'm not going to say the same things over and over again anymore. I will not leave this forum and perhaps not even this thread, but it's time to quit beating a dead horse. It's more important to make this section of the forum a comfortable place for people like VillageGirl than to provide a channel for my anger. Also, as a Glenn fan I wouldn't enjoy it if the Glenn forum was full of criticism about him. So there are no hard feelings.

-Toni-

VillageGirl
10-20-2016, 12:19 PM
Thank you so much for this Chain. It means a lot. I apologize if you felt the "zip it" was solely directed at you, as,it wasn't my intent at all. After a few of us fairly newer members were given a hard time by first not posting in the right thread, then being challenged on what we posted, and then having a former Eagle member we enjoy completely degraded in quite frankly a low class manner, I had enough.
We teach our children that bullying is not okay, but then it is tolerated here( I AM NOT REFERRING TO YOU).

I would be crucified if I said anything negative about Glenn, Henley, Joe, or TBS on this forum. Things not nearly as bad as some of what I have seen written about Felder.

So again, I am sorry you got the brunt of it, but I am so glad we are good now. :)

Eagles7
10-23-2016, 02:14 AM
Just a couple things:

I've heard or read reporters ask Don H and Henley about Felder. I've never heard Timothy B asked, but reporters aren't just asking Felder. Felder makes the same comment when asked, "I just hear from their lawyers." Seems like there should be a little less "sting" to that comment since it's his standard. It's not like he's digging up new ammunition to fire at them..same stuff when a reporter asks the same question. Why do they ask the same stuff..my theory is because it would be a whole lot of Eagles fan's dream come true if the hostility and brokenness between the surviving Guys was finally put aside for the greater good!

Felder did tell his side in the book, but I think Glenn and Don did the job of telling their side in HOTE, and unfortunately, the way they (especially Glenn) represented their side made more fans question their ethics than Don Felder's. I think HOTE was viewed by and impacted more fan's opinions than did Felder's book.

I visited Don's fan site often and there have been thousands of comments about the KC snubb. I got tired of reading after 1200 or so +, but the vast majority wereposts in support of Don and Randy and Bernie, and the disrespectful ones were few. I don't know if some had been deleted, but it didn't seem that bad.

Don Felder is the only Eagle, to my knowledge that actually opens his own facebook page to fan's and personally responds often to posts or messenger. That's pretty cool!

I have only been here a few months, and at first I checked in daily, but then due to the negativity toward Felder that would then often manifest itself in negativity to those who posted favorably about him, I visited less and less. There's a lot I like about this site, but I was finding myself feeling uncomfortable being here.

I like all the Eagles (thus my sign in name). Felder is my favorite, and I'd really like to see a positive place where I could read and write posts about my favorite Eagle without recrimination.

The posts on the last few pages have been very encouraging from some of the regulars, saying they said too much and want to make this a place where Felder fans can feel comfortable and enjoy visiting. It's extremely nice to see posters understanding how it might feel to have your favorite Eagle under attack so often, and to even feel under attack yourself.

Thank you for making efforts for us all to get along and enjoy this good site!

Funk 50
10-23-2016, 07:33 AM
VG-

I'd just like the board going forward to become a drama-free zone and that we respect all members and we refrain from nasty comments to one another OR that we attack members.

:jawdrop:

UndertheWire
10-23-2016, 09:08 AM
I've always thought it must be tough to be a Felder fan on this board, but you're needed because you can provide that viewpoint. If you read Soda's history of the websites and board (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1603), you can see their origins were as a fan site and message board for Glenn Frey before being opened up to cover the band past and present. It's neither surprising nor wrong that the message board remains pro-Frey.

Unfortunately, the disagreements between Felder and Frey have become public and unsurprisingly, fans want to discuss. Given that the board has more fans of Frey than Felder, it's always going to be lop-sided. In terms of press, it's even more lop-sided as while Felder still speaks of the other band members, they rarely acknowledge him.

What I'm going to try to do is avoid repeating old arguments. If Felder has something new to say, it's worth discussing but if he's repeating the same stories, there's nothing to be gained.

In his latest interview, the news was his upcoming EP but that was spun off into a separate thread which I assume has been nice and positive.

As for why Schmit and Walsh rarely speak of Felder, I assume that their publicists have advised them that it would distract from whatever they are trying to promote and they can benefit from the Eagles association without any mention of Felder. In contrast, with Felder, any reference to the Eagles will lead to questions of why he left and will he rejoin.

chaim
10-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Or perhaps the more "controversial" stuff about individual members/ex-members could be in the Eagles forum, and the member forums would be about positive stuff only. I don't know...Anyway, recently I tried to put myself in a Felder fan's position, and suddenly a lot of the complaints became more clear. When two Felder fans want to discuss him in the Felder forum, it's not right if I always step in to ruin it with the same old thing.

(I say "Felder", because there are two Dons)

By the way, although this is off-topic, I want to make another thing clear...I have often said that (IMO) Glenn "kills" Felder in Too Many Hands guitarwise. I have never meant to bash Felder with that. It's more the opposite. What I've meant is that Glenn is really great in that song, because he plays even better than Felder.

10-23-2016, 01:19 PM
I like all the Eagles (thus my sign in name). Felder is my favorite, and I'd really like to see a positive place where I could read and write posts about my favorite Eagle without recrimination.

Eagles7, while I empathize with what you and others are saying, this would create a very precarious situation. Perhaps without intending it, you are basically asking for a place where you can post your opinion but others can’t respond with theirs. As I said in another thread, if you want to post your opinion here, then you must be prepared for other members to disagree and challenge what you write. While we ask our members to be respectful when stating an opinion and avoid personal attacks, I really don’t think it’s fair to ask them not to respond to comments they want to discuss on a message board.

Hopefully, as long as all members follow the Netiquette Guidelines (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450) by remaining tolerant of others views and being respectful of members of the board and the band, we will be able to maintain civil discussion both in this forum and the board as a whole.

chaim
10-23-2016, 02:49 PM
(Again I want to clarify that personally I'm not afraid to give my opinion when I reply to someone's post, but I have usually been the one who has started the negative discussions about Felder.)

WalshFan88
10-23-2016, 02:59 PM

I like how you left out the bulk of message where I have exact reasons (and valid ones at that) why I said something to you. It's because you were purposefully trying to mess with peoples emotions and stir them up. For as long as you've been on here, you stir things up all the time and it gets old. 'Nuff said.

VillageGirl
10-23-2016, 05:57 PM
Eagles7, while I empathize with what you and others are saying, this would create a very precarious situation. Perhaps without intending it, you are basically asking for a place where you can post your opinion but others can’t respond with theirs. As I said in another thread, if you want to post your opinion here, then you must be prepared for other members to disagree and challenge what you write. While we ask our members to be respectful when stating an opinion and avoid personal attacks, I really don’t think it’s fair to ask them not to respond to comments they want to discuss on a message board.

Dreamer, I believe the other day that Soda had mentioned the possibility of starting a thread called something like, "Positive things about Don Felder", where those of us could post freely without having to deal with constant negative comments. It was posted a few days ago under the Former Eagles Will Not Be Honoured at the KCH thread. I don't know if that deal is still on the table or not.

Thx.

ambulance girl
10-23-2016, 08:32 PM
Dreamer, I believe the other day that Soda had mentioned the possibility of starting a thread called something like, "Positive things about Don Felder", where those of us could post freely without having to deal with constant negative comments. It was posted a few days ago under the Former Eagles Will Not Be Honoured at the KCH thread. I don't know if that deal is still on the table or not.

Thx.

I would love that!!

sodascouts
10-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Sorry guys, I have been sick AGAIN these past few days (not pneumonia again, but a side effect of the anti-biotics they believe - but I won't bore you with those details). As such, I have not started the thread yet, but I will. It's going to be positive all around. No negativity about anything or anyone.

I did like something chaim brought up, though, that I think a lot of people don't really take into consideration.... most of the threads in this forum are quite positive. The new EP discussion is the most recent example. It just seems that a lot of the Felder fans who post in this thread and other controversial threads don't post in positive threads like those for whatever reason.

We'll see how the 100% positivity thread goes. I've never done anything like this before and honestly I'm wondering if people will really be able to resist saying anything negative about anyone. This is the internet, after all. We'll consider it an experiment. I'm hoping for the best, though! I'll start it soon but I have to write up the ground rules.

WalshFan88
10-24-2016, 02:28 AM
Sorry guys, I have been sick AGAIN these past few days (not pneumonia again, but a side effect of the anti-biotics they believe - but I won't bore you with those details). As such, I have not started the thread yet, but I will. It's going to be positive all around. No negativity about anything or anyone.

I did like something chaim brought up, though, that I think a lot of people don't really take into consideration.... most of the threads in this forum are quite positive. The new EP discussion is the most recent example. It just seems that a lot of the Felder fans who post in this thread and other controversial threads don't post in positive threads like those for whatever reason.

We'll see how the 100% positivity thread goes. I've never done anything like this before and honestly I'm wondering if people will really be able to resist saying anything negative about anyone. This is the internet, after all. We'll consider it an experiment. I'm hoping for the best, though! I'll start it soon but I have to write up the ground rules.

Get well soon!

Actually, something I thought of is that maybe this is an idea of something to do in each band member section of the positives for each member of the band. Of course it's just an idea but that might actually be an active thread, but IDK.

We could either make a list of things we like about said member, and then discuss them or just talk about them in a positive light, or both. Keep the things we don't like about them or more controversial things for other threads.

Again, like you said, it is the internet and will it work, who knows. Just a fleeting idea and something I thought about. We have some threads like that where there is a thread in each member section (like the rate 10 top tracks, etc). Might work.

UndertheWire
10-24-2016, 06:30 AM
It's not a bad idea to have a "What I love/like" thread for each member and the band as a whole. It would be a place to share what you like and perhaps get those who are less keen to look at that band member in a fresh way. One rule should be to not say anything derogatory about other band members as that might prompt defence and arguments and derail the thread.

Funk 50
10-24-2016, 07:04 AM
VG-

I like how you left out the bulk of message where I have exact reasons (and valid ones at that) why I said something to you. It's because you were purposefully trying to mess with peoples emotions and stir them up. For as long as you've been on here, you stir things up all the time and it gets old. 'Nuff said.

:headshake:

Sorry to be off topic but i'm having to defend myself against speculative, scurrilous accusations.

I have a problem with Eagles fans praising Felder when, in my opinion, he's done a lot to damage the reputation of the band.

Delilah
10-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Well, there are a whole lot of Felder/Eagles fans who praise him so you may have a big problem. Yes, there are some detractors but the Eagles are still well-loved. Few successful bands endure over the years with their reputations unscathed. What I've noticed is that non-fans, especially younger folks (Millennials), have a problem with the brand, not so much the band. I don't think it's fair to blame that on Don.

Gnrguy
10-24-2016, 06:58 PM

I didnt need to be so nasty, my apologies. I've just been a fan of gnr for a long time and was there for a lot of it. My opinions about axl are just that, as are yours

Cheers

Delilah
10-28-2016, 05:18 PM
An article in The Tenneseean about Don's induction:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/10/26/garth-brooks-ricky-skaggs-among-musicians-hall-fame-inductees/91953666/

Some really great names were present, it would have been cool to be there.:band:

Topkat
10-30-2016, 08:47 PM
Just putting in my 2 cents here, but I stopped posting or even checking in here because I got so tired of the bashing on Don Felder.

Anytime someone posted something nice about him or had any praise of his talent....somebody just comes in & starts bashing him & putting him down. I got totally sick of it. I hardly come here anymore because of it. Many of the members from years ago have just left because they couldn't stand it anymore! Please make this a positive place to talk about ALL the Eagles...That would really be nice. :headbang:

Eagles7
10-31-2016, 01:49 AM

I have a problem with Eagles fans praising Felder when, in my opinion, he's done a lot to damage the reputation of the band.

OMG, this is unbelievable. Can't you focus on the rock he bought to the band, the great guitar solos, the music to tunes like Visions, Victim of Love, Too Many Hands and, oh yeah, Hotel California? (Not to mention how good- looking he was and is) Do you just listen to songs that he didn't write on, play on, harmonize on. If so, you don't have much to listen too except Long Road Out of Eden, which is a good album, but most fans don't put it up there as their number one collection.

There are quite a few of us who think that Glenn and Don caused trouble in that band-- and Randy and Bernie and Felder are the casualties of that, but we have great resoect for the gifts that Glen and Don H. brought to the band. While we Felder fans (some of you make it sound like a disease) are under attack relentlessly by some of you, most of us are loyal fans of the group and love them as a whole and individually.

To say you are an Eagles fan and hate on one of the Seven like you just did in that statement is petty and rude. Stuff like that is the reason Soda is setting up a separate thread for Felder positivity posts.

I joined this board this summer to talk about and share about and celebrate a mutual interest with Eagle fans. I did not come here to degrade band members or insult board members. That apparently is not the viewpoint taken by all others on here. I used to feel like Pretty lonely on here, but More and more Felder fans are expressing their thoughts about their favorite band member and about the treatment we have received from some posters.

I am very grateful some awareness has been brought to the situation and respect you Soda for trying to create a site that has a place for positivity to flow. (Kinda sad though in a way that a safe-haven has to be created for Felder when he was a legit Eagle for a number of years.)

Finally, you don't have to say anything positive about Felder, but be gracious enough to stay off the thread that is all about positive stuff.

Witchy Woman
10-31-2016, 10:52 AM
Finally, you don't have to say anything positive about Felder, but be gracious enough to stay off the thread that is all about positive stuff.

First of all, this is not the positivity thread. Second, I don't think anyone here hates Felder at all. I certainly don't. He is a tremendously talented guitarist, and contributed a great deal to the group. What I dislike is his cavalier attitude towards his former bandmates. I fail to see how that is attacking anyone who likes him or Bernie and Randy at all. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. It is not right to call board members white trash or low class because they don't agree with you.

VillageGirl
10-31-2016, 11:38 AM
...I don't think anyone here hates Felder at all. I certainly don't. He is a tremendously talented guitarist, and contributed a great deal to the group. What I dislike is his cavalier attitude towards his former bandmates. I fail to see how that is attacking anyone who likes him or Bernie and Randy at all. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. It is not right to call board members white trash or low class because they don't agree with you.

Well, your past post does seem to indicate otherwise. Unless of course you tell those you have a deep respect for to, "Go fornicate themselves" and call them "whiney britches".

That type of vernacular indicates low class behavior. You may be extremely intelligent and well bred, saying things like that is crude and trashy. You are entitled to dislike Felder and of course express it, but you may want to choose a less foul manner.

I feel Soda has worked hard on this forum and if people feel free to express themselves in the manner you have, it makes this look like a gathering of thugs.

Witchy Woman
10-31-2016, 12:21 PM
Well, your past post does seem to indicate otherwise. Unless of course you tell those you have a deep respect for to, "Go fornicate themselves" and call them "whiney britches".

That type of vernacular indicates low class behavior. You may be extremely intelligent and well bred, saying things like that is crude and trashy. You are entitled to dislike Felder and of course express it, but you may want to choose a less foul manner.

I feel Soda has worked hard on this forum and if people feel free to express themselves in the manner you have, it makes this look like a gathering of thugs.

I stand by what I said. If that sounds trashy and low class to you so be it. I was way less provocative than I could have been.

Topkat
10-31-2016, 01:08 PM
I've always thought it must be tough to be a Felder fan on this board, but you're needed because you can provide that viewpoint. If you read Soda's history of the websites and board (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1603), you can see their origins were as a fan site and message board for Glenn Frey before being opened up to cover the band past and present. It's neither surprising nor wrong that the message board remains pro-Frey.

Unfortunately, the disagreements between Felder and Frey have become public and unsurprisingly, fans want to discuss. Given that the board has more fans of Frey than Felder, it's always going to be lop-sided. In terms of press, it's even more lop-sided as while Felder still speaks of the other band members, they rarely acknowledge him.

What I'm going to try to do is avoid repeating old arguments. If Felder has something new to say, it's worth discussing but if he's repeating the same stories, there's nothing to be gained.

In his latest interview, the news was his upcoming EP but that was spun off into a separate thread which I assume has been nice and positive.

As for why Schmit and Walsh rarely speak of Felder, I assume that their publicists have advised them that it would distract from whatever they are trying to promote and they can benefit from the Eagles association without any mention of Felder. In contrast, with Felder, any reference to the Eagles will lead to questions of why he left and will he rejoin.

There are a lot more fans of Don Fleder than you may think. We are just so sick of the bashing & negative crap that goes on in here, that we have just stopped posting. Now that Glenn has past away, it's hard to say anything negative about him, but he even admitted himself that he wasn't always the nicest person to deal with. I do believe he drove Randy out of the band, & as for Don Felder, it was pretty clear. Although I think Henley was with Glenn on the firing of Felder, he was less vocal about it. Even in HOE, he toned it down, but Glenn didn't & spoke his mind.
I honestly believe that Felder wanted to mend fences with them, but of course now it is too late.
Felder was speaking about his induction into Musicians Hall of fame, & he said, he doesn't have to work, He has to play music & that is what it's about for him. .

UndertheWire
10-31-2016, 05:54 PM
Can't we just get back to talking about Don's interviews and press instead of complaining about what other people post?

Eagles7
10-31-2016, 10:27 PM
First of all, this is not the positivity thread.

**I'm aware.

Second, I don't think anyone on here hates Felder.

**Well, could have fooled me.

What I dislike is his cavalier attitude towards his former bandmates.

**Have to agree to disagree. He's stated often that he would like to put the discord to rest, but nobody wants to meet him halfway. Glenn, on the other hand was shockingly cavalier in terms of Don Felder in HOTE.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

**By all means, but having an opinion and attacking posters who have a different opinion are two very different things.

It is not right to call board members white trash or low class because they don't agree with you.

**Don't know who you are talking to...that wasn't me.

Witchy Woman
10-31-2016, 11:44 PM
**Don't know who you are talking to...that wasn't me.

I'm well aware it wasn't you. The person who said it has already been established. And kindly refer me to a time where I personally attacked you or any other member of this board. I'll wait.

Jonny Come Lately
11-02-2016, 04:28 PM
By the way, although this is off-topic, I want to make another thing clear...I have often said that (IMO) Glenn "kills" Felder in Too Many Hands guitarwise. I have never meant to bash Felder with that. It's more the opposite. What I've meant is that Glenn is really great in that song, because he plays even better than Felder.

I should probably have responded to this earlier, but I have listening closely to the guitar work on Too Many Hands recently and I'm convinced you're right about this. One of the lead guitars sounds quite similar to the leads on One Of These Nights (I'm guessing it's a Gibson Les Paul), which strongly suggests it's Don F, and Glenn is most likely playing Old Black. To me, the most memorable solo parts have the Old Black. I'm definitely not saying that Don F's playing isn't good (quite the opposite!), but I think Glenn's playing on that song is brilliant, especially his licks on the outro.

UndertheWire
11-10-2016, 07:43 AM
Here's another interview that's similar to the one I linked to a couple of weeks ago but with more detail.

http://concertblogger.com/2016/11/interview-ex-eagles-guitarist-don-felder-still-flying/

Delilah
11-10-2016, 09:50 PM
Interesting interview, UtW, thanks. He sounds like he keeps busy. With his bass player being a trained opera singer, it's no wonder he's the one who sings TITTL. I noticed the blogger wrote this:

With the song “Hotel California”, ex-Eagles guitarist Don Felder is responsible for one of the most recognizable rock riffs of all time.

NightMistBlue
12-07-2016, 03:32 PM
This is an article from much earlier this year (February), but I don't think it's been posted here before - at least I couldn't find it. Anyhoo, is this underlined part true?

Plans for a tell-all Felder autobiography led to yet another suit, as Frey and Henley attempted to stop its publication. The memoir was ultimately delayed for a couple of years, arriving in 2009 as Heaven and Hell: My Life in the Eagles. In it, he derisively refers to Frey and Henley as “the Gods.”

Read More: 15 Years Ago: The Eagles Fire Don Felder | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-eagles-fire-don-felder/?trackback=tsmclip

P.S. Actually, Felder's book was published in 2008 in the U.S. and 2007 in the U.K., unless Wikipedia is wrong.

Funk 50
12-07-2016, 06:08 PM
I remember somebody, in conversation with Henley, commenting that Don had forced Felder to edit sections of his book. Henley replied firmly that it wasn't him, it was the law of the land or words to that effect.

It was farcical that the Felder's book was required to be amended before getting a US release while it was freely available to all and sundry from the UK.

NightMistBlue
12-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Hmmm, interesting. Do you know if/how the UK and US versions of the book differ?

Delilah
12-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Don gives ABC News a short interview about making the Hotel California album. He gives credit to all the members.

"I thought it was an unbelievably magical combination of five guys -- writing, musicianship, the ability in the studio from the experience we had all had in the years we had spent making records," Felder said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/eagles-classic-hotel-california-album-turns-40-today/story?id=44059053

Delilah
12-13-2016, 01:44 PM
An interview Don had with Team Rock in issue 186 ("The Eagles, Divorce, Poverty and Pudding") that was re-published recently. It looks to originally be from May 2014. I searched the thread from that time period and didn't find it, and frankly, it was depressing so I stopped searching. The Team Rock linked articles tend to disappear anyway, so I'm quoting a lot of it. I thought this was interesting:

What do you think is the secret of success?

I think it’s 50 per cent hard work and 50 per cent luck. What has surprised me, though, is that when I started in the business, to be a recording artist was all auditory. Then MTV came along and it became visual. I just finished watching the Superbowl with Beyoncé, and she has this unbelievable wardrobe, dancers, fireworks coming out of guitars… For all I know she could have been lip-syncing, and probably was. Two weeks after that I saw History Of The Eagles, and it’s five guys walking out in ripped jeans, football jerseys, long hair, no make-up, no visual presentation whatsoever. But we all locked down, and the quality of the music was what sold that band.

The Eagles sold more than 150 million records. Do you remember how it feels to be broke?

I grew up in destitute poverty. I really grew up with nothing. My dad was a mechanic, and would work 14 hours a day and come home covered in grease. He saved every nickel he could, because he went through the Great Depression as a child, and wound up laying bricks, on his hands and knees. He would earn 10 cents a day – that would buy one loaf of bread. He never forgot that sense of starvation and desperation. And that was somewhat pounded into me. So I’ve never been foolish with money.

Do you believe in God?

Absolutely. But I don’t think that has much to do with this article.

Where do you stand politically?

I’m not a party-based person. I vote for the candidate I think will do the best job, and I don’t care if he’s an independent, Democrat, Republican… We just need somebody to reach across both aisles of this log-jam in Washington. Where do I stand on gun law? I don’t believe that, politically, there will ever be a ban on guns in this country. There’s so many strong gun lobbies, manufacturers, people who have an interest in that whole industry. It’s like trying to ban cars.

What would you have as your final meal?

Well I know what the dessert would be: icky-sticky pudding. A famous stage actor named Howard Keel introduced me to it and shared the recipe. That would probably be the end-all and be-all for my taste delight here on this planet.

What inscription would you have on your tombstone?

Jeez, what a morbid interview. Well, I don’t intend to have a tombstone. It’s a waste of the environment, and it’s usually some sort of homage to yourself. Usually the people that have the largest, most narcissistic personality disorder erect the largest vault or shrine to themselves.

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-11-17/don-felder-interview-the-eagles-divorce-poverty-and-pudding

NightMistBlue
12-13-2016, 02:29 PM
So many interesting, surprising points in that interview! Mostly, it's striking to me that he doesn't mention talent in the equation for success, only hard work and luck.

Now I'm gonna google icky-sticky pudding.

chaim
12-13-2016, 11:13 PM
- Do you believe in God?

- Absolutely. But I don’t think that has much to do with this article.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

WalshFan88
12-16-2016, 03:29 AM
Video interview with DF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2owegNYfM4

UndertheWire
12-16-2016, 07:57 AM
Thank you for posting that.

I'm impressed by his ability to talk for minutes at a time without hesitation, repetition and deviation. Also, I liked that Don, with support from his host, kept it positive. Even the subject of disagreements within the band was used as an opportunity to show how they collaborated with the story of the ICTYW solo.

chaim
12-16-2016, 04:53 PM
His story about the Hell Freezes Over version of HC - the introduction - is totally different in that interview, compared to the story in his book. Glenn is now Don H, and he thought Don meant a spoken introduction. :-?

I'm glad that it was Don who brought up ICTYW and Glenn's solos, without being asked about it. That was a nice thing to do. But I never like it when people insinuate that everyone else but Glenn and Don H wrote the music to the band's songs. :depressed:

sodascouts
12-16-2016, 06:37 PM
What point does that introduction to HC story appear in the video? I don't have time to watch the whole thing, but that is so bizarrely different from his usual story that I've got to see it!

UndertheWire
12-16-2016, 07:37 PM
Only for you... it's about 25 minutes in.

Delilah
12-16-2016, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the video WF88. It appears to have been taped in Nashville after his performance the previous evenng.

Some things I took away from it:

1. Don stopped drinking in 1980. If it was in his book, I must have forgotten.
2. He added guitar parts to On the Border (the song).
3. He's already recorded 7 tracks for his new CD, which he hopes to be released in Spring.
4. He's planning to tour the U.S. and possibly Canada next summer with Styx and REO Speedwagon.
5. His relaying of how the HFO version of HC came about does differ somewhat from his book. He says it was Don who approached him about writing a new introduction, instead of Glenn. However the gist of it was that he was put on the spot and came through, which is the same as the book.
6. On his rider- "organic medicinal lemon throat tea" and "assorted unsalted nuts"

chaim
12-17-2016, 04:06 AM
Yeah, I was surprised to hear about On The Border, the song. Next time I listen to it I'll listen closely to try and guess which ones are Don. I don't think there's a solo and it's Glenn playing the "soul licks" during the bridge. Perhaps Don enhanced the intro - adding some guitars to make it more effective?

As for the new HC intro, here's what I never understood in his book. He writes that he got the instruction to come up with a new intro. Then, as I recall, he went away (to his hotel room or something) and tried to think of an intro. But when they did the gig he played an improvised intro anyway. Did he think of some phrases beforehand and put them spontaneously together when they played it live? That would explain it to me.

UndertheWire
12-17-2016, 09:02 AM
The bit I don't get about the HFO HC intro is he said it was improvised and he wouldn't be able to play it again so what did he do on the second night? Has anyone compared the into on the video with the 2nd night bootleg?

Where does he speak about On the Border? I missed it but I can't face listening to it all again.

chaim
12-17-2016, 11:36 AM
When Don talks about his first session with the band (Good Day In Hell), he says that after that we was asked to add his guitar to some other tracks. He mentions Already Gone and On The Border. Seems that he played more on the album than I thought.

UndertheWire
12-17-2016, 12:06 PM
I've asked this before with no results, but is there someone who knows their guitar licks who would listen to the Nov 1973 bootleg of of GDIH and compare it to the studion version? I know the live version doesn't sound as good, but I'd like to know how much of what Don Felder contributed was new ideas rather than just playing what they had better.

chaim
12-17-2016, 12:08 PM
Not that I could answer to your question, but where can I hear this live recording?

UndertheWire
12-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Not that I could answer to your question, but where can I hear this live recording?
The show was discussed in this thread (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3092) and there's a link to a download that may still be live.

chaim
12-17-2016, 02:48 PM
Looks like I should create an account to hear that, and I won't do that. :cry:

sodascouts
12-17-2016, 04:21 PM
Only for you... it's about 25 minutes in.

Thank you for taking the trouble - I appreciate it.

Wow... I don't get it... I mean, he's changed stories before, but DANG. Removing Glenn entirely from the story and replacing him with Don Henley, even down to the dialogue attribution... This is a story he's told a gazillion times the other way! Wonder which one is true?

chaim
12-17-2016, 05:13 PM
Don has said before that it was Don H who wanted the new introduction, but this was the first time I heard that he thought Don meant a spoken introduction. It's possible of course that the "misunderstanding" was just a joke from Felder in the Q&A situation.

UndertheWire
12-17-2016, 05:19 PM
Looks like I should create an account to hear that, and I won't do that. :cry:
I don't think you need to create an account. However, you do have to download a file and I can understand why you would be concerned about that.

chaim
12-17-2016, 05:26 PM
I don't think you need to create an account. However, you do have to download a file and I can understand why you would be concerned about that.

I tried to download a file and was informed that I need to create an account.

chaim
12-18-2016, 11:34 AM
I managed to download it. Again, the first time I clicked I got some casino ad. But now I clicked it a second time and the download started.

UndertheWire
12-19-2016, 10:11 AM
I'll be interested to know what you think. The same person has a link to a concert 6 months later which has GDIH with Don Felder.

Apologies for continuing this conversation in the Felder press thread. I think any further discussion belongs elsewhere.

UndertheWire
01-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Don is doing a few interviews befire his upcoming concerts.

A few new comments.

“Right after I left the Eagles,” Felder says, “I called my friend (original Eagles guitarist) Bernie Leadon, who I had known in high school before and during The Eagles, and after. He told me, ‘Don, don’t be so upset. There is life after The Eagles.’ At the time, it was hard to conceive that, but it’s absolutely true, so I took his advice.”
Although this next one could be seen as a dig, he has a point. However, if he invited 16,000 people down to the stage, I doubt it would be so much fun.

But Felder reserves his show’s biggest inclusion for the audience. After all, his audience these days is there to see him, not The Eagles.

“A lot of people tell me that, people write it online on Facebook, and they tell me when they come to see me at meet-and-greets,” Felder says. “When I go out and play a live show, it’s a party. Everybody has a great time, a rock ’n’ roll night of fun, singing and dancing.

“It’s not what you do at an Eagles concert or a Henley concert; you have to sit in your seat and be polite,” he adds. “That’s not what I’m doing. I invite people down to the stage during my show. Take out your phone, get a picture and have a good time. People are so shocked to be invited down to the stage, so for them it’s a pleasant surprise, and it’s a lot more fun than a (formal) concert.

“It’s rock ’n’ roll, for God’s sake.”

http://www.southbendtribune.com/entertainment/inthebend/music/peaceful-easy-feeling-finally-for-eagles-felder/article_6d8c89bc-bae7-57de-a14f-3087236d2f30.html

This one expands the Cherry Bomb story he told in his book. It also says his album should be out in the summer and he's adding more tour dates for 2017.

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/features/don-felder-content-with-life-outside-the-fast-lane/article_426fca76-f5c4-5969-8573-64c1bbc6681f.html

Promises to mix things up a little for the Las Vegas residency:
http://kwbe.com/abc_classicr/don-felder-looking-forward-to-having-fun-with-styx-at-upcoming-las-vegas-residency-abcid35835023/

sad-cafe
01-01-2017, 04:48 PM
seriously, he needs to GET OVER IT

chaim
01-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Although it's nice that Don seems to work in a friction-free environment these days, I find this constant "no egos" thing - comparing his solo band to the Eagles - a bit strange, because how can you compare a solo artist to a band? In a band there are members and naturally everyone wants to have a say. With a solo artist it's clear for everyone who's the boss. Are you going to insist that you have at least two songs on the next album if you're a session player in a solo artist's band? Are you going to fight for the spotlight with the person the audience has come to see?

It doesn't mean that these people don't have egos. It just means that in this particular project they know their place as session musicians.

UndertheWire
01-02-2017, 10:29 AM
It makes me think of an interview with Andy Fairweather-Low where he explained that he was "good on the bus". Even though he'd been the frontman of a very successful group and had had a solo career, when he became a sideman, it was as much about getting on with people as playing. Even now thathe's fronting a band again, he insists that the band is not his backing band, he's just their lead singer.

And to quote one of Don's former band members:

Of course, it's a lot easier now that I'm running my own successful dictatorship (laughs) as opposed to being in a struggling democracy. One of the reasons life is great now is because I'm the boss.

Delilah
01-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Don is doing a few interviews befire his upcoming concerts.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/entertainment/inthebend/music/peaceful-easy-feeling-finally-for-eagles-felder/article_6d8c89bc-bae7-57de-a14f-3087236d2f30.html

This one expands the Cherry Bomb story he told in his book. It also says his album should be out in the summer and he's adding more tour dates for 2017.

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/features/don-felder-content-with-life-outside-the-fast-lane/article_426fca76-f5c4-5969-8573-64c1bbc6681f.html

Promises to mix things up a little for the Las Vegas residency:
http://kwbe.com/abc_classicr/don-felder-looking-forward-to-having-fun-with-styx-at-upcoming-las-vegas-residency-abcid35835023/

Thank you for these links, UtW. I love the picture of him sitting in the cafe. I wonder if I can post it. Which one of the former band members spoke of a "struggling democracy"? I'm not familiar with that quote.

Marshmaster
01-03-2017, 10:06 PM
Spent the time to read the whole thread.

Wow!, is all I can say.

In his book, Don said that he thought that Henley's(Waldenwoods support) and Frey's(Cranston support) was nice, but to force your conscience and politics onto your bandmates to playing those benefits is crossing the line.

Irving Azov was the band's manager - not the manager of just Henley and Frey.

Timothy B. Schmidt likes being part of the Eagles as basically a session player as he is not a full partner of the band. So it's easy to see why he would just rather play and not say anything that would tick off Irving Azov, Don Henley and the late Glenn Frey.

Joe Walsh is also happy to be a session player for the Eagles as he is also not a full partner. He stated to Felder that he did the solo thing and is happy to just go out and play. He would also say nothing that would tick off the above mentioned three.

It would be nice to have Don Felder put the original Hotel California demonstration tape up on his web site so all the crap could be put to rest about how much of the song was in place when it was turned over to Henley and Frey. Or, he could just put it on his next cd and he could get the royalties to that much all by himself without having to share it with Don Henley and Glenn Frey's estate since there are no vocals or lyrics in place.

Is the glass half full or half empty? Or, is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?

Marshmaster

UndertheWire
01-04-2017, 06:50 AM
The quote was from Glenn Frey in 1984. Toni's comment made me realise the simularities between Don's current situation and Glenn's in the 1980s.

The next bit is probably me being pedantic, but I don't like it when terms such as "full partner", "session musician" and "sideman" are used when writing about members of the band. For simplicity, I'm going to focus on the 1980 version of the band.

First, there was not and is not such thing as a "full partner" in the Eagles. If it was ever a partnership, that ended when they incorporated in 1974. After that it was a corporation with shareholders. By 1980, there were just three shareholders: Frey, Henley and Felder. These three shareholders were in the band along with two musicians who were not shareholders, Walsh and Schmit. According to both Schmit and Felder, they were paid equally at this point. Walsh and Schmit also got to be centre stage for one or more songs and they appeared on publicity material. They were not session players or sidemen; they just weren't shareholders. Both Schmit and Walsh seem to understand that they had joined an established group and to some extent they had to fit in.

David Sanborne was a session musican who played on The Long Run. He didn't play on every track and he had other jobs. When the Eagles toured, he went along as a sideman for some dates but was later replaced by Phil Kenzie.

Joe Vitale was a session player and sideman who nearly became a band member - at least that's what Joe Walsh wanted. He even appears in some photos from that time.

How the band was actually run is murkier. In theory, it was democratic but by 1980 it seems that decisions were made by Henley, Frey and Azoff and then presented to the other band members. This probably had little to do with ownership. However, if it did, then this team owned 2/3 of the shares in the corporation and could out-vote the other shareholder.

Delilah
01-04-2017, 06:37 PM
The quote was from Glenn Frey in 1984. Toni's comment made me realise the simularities between Don's current situation and Glenn's in the 1980s.

The next bit is probably me being pedantic, but I don't like it when terms such as "full partner", "session musician" and "sideman" are used when writing about members of the band.

I don't think these terms are being used in a purely technical sense. When Joe and Timothy are referred to as "sidemen" (and I see that a lot), it's because they are perceived to have less say and less power, even though they are fully vested legitimate band members. When Don F calls himself and others "partners" in his book, that's probably because that's the very term the band members themselves used. Yes they were shareholders but they were also "partners" in the sense they jointly owned and operated the entity known as the Eagles.

Also, I have noticed Glenn and Bernie calling each other "pardner" during their early shows. OK, that's a different context...:-)

UndertheWire
01-06-2017, 04:40 AM
Don and Styx doing an "open rehearsal" to promote their Las Vegas Residency:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/shows/styx-and-don-felder-rock-out-and-hang-out-las-vegas

sodascouts
01-06-2017, 01:16 PM
I've never heard of an "open rehearsal" but it sounds like a great idea.

I'm glad he's decided to stop commenting on Glenn Frey's death and is focusing on discussing his shows and upcoming album or EP.

UndertheWire
01-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Here's the print version of an interview where Don talks about the Gainsville music scene. There is also a podcast.
http://parade.com/538800/nancyberk/from-hometown-to-hotel-california-don-felders-incredible-rock-journey/

UndertheWire
01-16-2017, 07:55 AM
Here, Don gives the reporter n introductory guitar lesson:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/columns/kats/gunslinger-don-felder-hits-the-strip-styx

I can't find any reviews or a setlist from the shows.

Delilah
01-16-2017, 02:38 PM
Thank you for those links, UtW. I like his advice in the 2nd one about wearing a guitar: “Hold it low, like a gunslinger,” says Don Felder. “Look the part.” :rockguitar:

WalshFan88
01-17-2017, 01:18 AM
Here, Don gives the reporter n introductory guitar lesson:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/columns/kats/gunslinger-don-felder-hits-the-strip-styx

I can't find any reviews or a setlist from the shows.

That's pretty cool.

I'd love a lesson with Don. I'm far from a beginner (probably intermediate-advanced in the styles I like) but comparatively I'd be shaking in my space boots.

UndertheWire
06-11-2017, 08:09 AM
There's a new interview with Don Felder. I don't think there's anything new in it and his description of being recuited to the Eagles is misleading because of compression of timescales. (His stories of first meeting the band and being asked to join have been merged)
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/life/entertainment/story/2017/jun/10/dfelder-southern-boy-loved-music/432641/

chaim
06-11-2017, 09:18 AM
"I loved Bernie and loved playing country music with him" sounds like he would have liked to continue the countryish approach. I don't remember him saying before that he was all for that. Or does he mean playing country with Bernie earlier, before he was in the band?

UndertheWire
06-11-2017, 10:53 AM
"it became awkward because Frey and Don Henley were pushing the group to leave behind the country roots that Leadon loved and move toward a radio-friendly pop sound."

Again, this doesn't quite fit with anything I've read/heard before. The push was towards more of a "rock" sound, not a "radio-friendly pop" sound, and Randy wanted that, too. I don't think Felder has ever suggested that he, himself, wanted to play countryish music either - if anything gave the impression that his own tastes were more "rock" (eg he was more interested in hearing Yes than his friend's band). The above statement is a shift from everyone-but-Bernie to Frey-and-Henley, as well as from "rock" to "pop".

New Kid In Town
06-11-2017, 11:08 AM
From every book I read, including Don F's, he never indicated he loved playing country. All he has ever said is how he was brought in to toughen up the sound and make it more R & R. That's all he has said in prior interviews that I have read and heard on YT. If I remember right, he even states in his book that it was the correct move for the band.

Delilah
06-11-2017, 04:15 PM
I read the article a couple of times and I don't see what the big deal is. It may have been the reporter who "merged" the stories if the original statement was too long or detailed. And what difference does it make? The point is Glenn was impressed with his playing and later Don recorded some slide guitar with them for "Good Day in Hell."

"I loved Bernie and I loved playing country music with him" sounds just like that--no more, no less. I don't think it implies at all that he wanted to go in a country direction. Justin Timberlake performed a country song with Chris Stapleton, and probably enjoyed it. That does not mean Justin wants to go country. Just one of many, many examples of musicians enjoying performing outside their genre with people they admire.

Tha man is 70 years old and has probably recounted dozens of times the same events that he's experienced over the years. Heaven forbid he should use another term-"pop" - instead of sticking to the same exact script from decades ago. I have no doubt it was awkward for him back then.

From every book I read, including Don F's, he never indicated he loved playing country. All he has ever said is how he was brought in to toughen up the sound and make it more R & R. That's all he has said in prior interviews that I have read and heard on YT. If I remember right, he even states in his book that it was the correct move for the band.

He said he loved playing country music with Bernie--where does it say he loved playing country, period? And to suggest that he's not allowed to say he loves playing country music b/c he hasn't been quoted as saying it in the past is absurd.

For some reason, it seems Don's statements get scrutinized for every possible minor deviation from past statements, while other band members get a pass. Even worse when some people assume that books and interviews contain the entirety of his life's experiences and personal views, and therefore, any new information must be wrong, even when it comes from his own mouth. These presumptuous statements of what the Eagles are feeling and thinking seems to be happening quite a bit lately.

UndertheWire
06-12-2017, 04:46 AM
I was going to let this go but then decided I should stand up for my right to comment on a Felder interview.

Interviews by the other band members are subjected to scrutiny. They are not given a pass. The difference is they tend to be consistent. Now justbecause they are consistent doesn't mean they are telling the truth, but we can't tell. However, when Felder changes his story, we know that both his versions cannot be true. There are also often elements of Felder's stories that are not consistent with facts that can be easily verified. I don't see this so much with the others.

Why does it matter? If you just want to listen to the music, it doesn't, but if you want to talk about the story of the band, it is significant. Felder wrote a book about his time in the band and a lot of what outsiders think they know comes from Felder. For me, the numerous small innaccuracies in his interviews undermine his credibility. That doesn't mean I disbelieve everything he says, but I approach it with a sceptical eye.

Funk 50
06-12-2017, 06:02 AM
Good point, well made UndertheWire.

I agree Delilah about the unsettling "presumptuous statements of what the Eagles are feeling and thinking" but Felder's comment "I loved Bernie and loved playing country music with him" is an eyebrow raiser.

I've just checked the credits to the On The Border and One Of These Nights albums and there is very little evidence of Felder and Leadon teaming up the way that Felder and Walsh did. The shared guitar duties tended to be Felder and Frey.

Imho the Leadon less versions of the Eagles were an unconvincing country band. Joe gets the lead on "future country classic" The Girl From Yesterday. There's nothing remotely country on Felder's solo albums. I rate Felder as a fine Pedal Steel player but Leadon plays the Pedal Steel on OTB and OOTN.

Would it be presumptuous of me to suggest that Felder is making a conscious effort to say positive things about his ex band mates? which, these days, is probably preferable to being totally honest or funny :-)

Delilah
06-12-2017, 11:34 AM
I was going to let this go but then decided I should stand up for my right to comment on a Felder interview.

UtW, in what way I have indicated you don't have the right to comment? Do not others have an equal right to comment on your comment? If one is going to make insinuations/allegations against an Eagle ("Felder's lying") vs. simply posing an opinion ("Felder's interviews are boring"), then one should be prepared for the possibility those allegations will be challenged.

If you believe that Don's comment about pop music is a deliberate inconsistency, then ok, fair enough. I don't agree but I do understand. I suppose Felder's book does make him a target; no other band member has put himself out there like that. I still contend that his comment about playing country with Bernie was harmless and sincere, not eyebrow-raising, not contradictory.

Good point, well made UndertheWire.

I agree Delilah about the unsettling "presumptuous statements of what the Eagles are feeling and thinking" but Felder's comment "I loved Bernie and loved playing country music with him" is an eyebrow raiser.

I've just checked the credits to the On The Border and One Of These Nights albums and there is very little evidence of Felder and Leadon teaming up the way that Felder and Walsh did. The shared guitar duties tended to be Felder and Frey.

Imho the Leadon less versions of the Eagles were an unconvincing country band. Joe gets the lead on "future country classic" The Girl From Yesterday. There's nothing remotely country on Felder's solo albums. I rate Felder as a fine Pedal Steel player but Leadon plays the Pedal Steel on OTB and OOTN.

Would it be presumptuous of me to suggest that Felder is making a conscious effort to say positive things about his ex band mates? which, these days, is probably preferable to being totally honest or funny :-)

When I read the Felder's statement about Bernie, I imagined them performing on stage together like at the Don Kirshner concert in '74, or jamming backstage somewhere. I didn't think about them recording in the studio. What do Don's solo albums or steel pedal playing have to do with anything?

Don has praised his band mates several times in the far and recent past; I don't know why saying positive things now would be construed as a "conscious effort."

UndertheWire
06-12-2017, 12:13 PM
UtW, in what way I have indicated you don't have the right to comment? Do not others have an equal right to comment on your comment? If one is going to make insinuations/allegations against an Eagle ("Felder's lying") vs. simply posing an opinion ("Felder's interviews are boring"), then one should be prepared for the possibility those allegations will be challenged.

Maybe I misunderstood you. Of course you can comment on my comments.

On this occasion, I said that some of it was misleading and I agree it may have been the journalist who introduced this by combining two different parts of the story.

I hestitate to use the word "lying" when talking about Don Felder because I don't think it's as deliberate as that although I do believe he is often inaccurate and for a pedant like me, that's not good. I was also surprised that his story about joining the band should lead on to one about Bernie leaving given that there was nearly two years between the two events. Possibly he was trying to ensure that no one thought he was the reason that Bernie left. Or maybe the journalist is to blame.

From his book, I understand that he played country music with Bernie when they were teenagers and I have no doubt they enjoyed playing together.

chaim
06-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Basically I was wondering whether Don was referring to his early days with Bernie or his time with the Eagles - since I have always thought that he wasn't big on the country stuff. I have no idea why that is such a "big deal". But we can leave it. It doesn't interest me enough to go to war about it.

UndertheWire
07-02-2017, 07:56 AM
The second season of AXS TV reality series Rock & Roll Road Trip with Sammy Hagar will continue next month with six brand-new episodes (https://www.axs.com/sammy-hagar-hits-the-road-with-six-new-rock-and-roll-road-trip-episode-119226), the first of which premieres Sunday, July 9, at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT. The July 9 show will feature the former Van Halen frontman taking a trip to Las Vegas, where he visits with Styx and ex-Eagles guitarist Don Felder during the two acts’ joint residency earlier this year at the Venetian Theater. The program also captures Hagar joining Styx and Felder onstage to jam on the Eagles classic “Hotel California,” and hanging out with comedian Carrot Top.

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/82156/

Delilah
07-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, UTW. I was wondering when this show would be aired.

WalshFan88
07-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Ok, I just watched the Felder segment.

There was a "this or that" question and answer thing.

One of the questions was Don Henley or Glenn Frey. Felder responded "Well in honor of Glenn's passing I'll go with Frey". I thought it was nice but maybe a bit insincere.

UndertheWire
07-10-2017, 04:32 PM
This is supposedly a new interview, but apart from a brief mention of this summer's tour, I think it's the same interview he's given for the last fiver years. If anyone spots somthing new, please say.
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-felder-interview-2017/

He also talks about the new album - or it could be about the last one.

Delilah
07-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Ok, I just watched the Felder segment.

There was a "this or that" question and answer thing.

One of the questions was Don Henley or Glenn Frey. Felder responded "Well in honor of Glenn's passing I'll go with Frey". I thought it was nice but maybe a bit insincere.

I watched it too and found Don to be funny and charming. I missed the "This or That" part though. If he had said "Don" that would have been awkward, I think. It probably would have been better to ask "Bernie or Joe" :grin:.

This is supposedly a new interview, but apart from a brief mention of this summer's tour, I think it's the same interview he's given for the last fiver years. If anyone spots somthing new, please say.
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-felder-interview-2017/

He also talks about the new album - or it could be about the last one.

Everything seems recycled to me except for the last 2 paragraphs. It sounds like he's talking about a brand new album.

Funk 50
07-13-2017, 06:08 AM
I think this is a newie, by Darren Paltrowitz for Inquisitr, dated 4th July; http://www.inquisitr.com/4346233/don-felder-on-the-legacy-of-the-eagles-touring-with-styx-reo-speedwagon-and-his-hobbies/.
Don seems to consciously avoid direct references to 'the gods' in his Heaven And Hell answers. He also talks about archived, unreleased Eagles music!
We rehearsed at my guesthouse and we’d always roll tape and a WWF Razor Ramon theme, that is referred to as a Those Shoes copy :unimpressed:

Don's also done an 20min audio interview with Steve black for Chop Shop Guitar Show; http://wrif.com/2017/07/06/don-felder-interview/
I haven't listened to it yet :shrug:

New Kid In Town
07-13-2017, 08:37 AM
Funk - Thanks for the link to the interview. I have to say this part made me laugh :
Did the book help reconnect you with people? Or help forge new relationships?
Don Felder: No, I think if anything there were a couple of guys that really didn’t like the fact that I was writing a book (http://www.houstonpress.com/music/review-heaven-and-hell-my-life-in-the-eagles-1974-2001-by-don-felder-with-wendy-holden-6771694). I think they even tried to file a lawsuit against me to stop me from writing a book, but there’s a thing in America called Freedom of Speech. As long as you’re not slandering someone or defaming their character, then you know you can do it. So I think a couple of guys were upset that I was publishing a book, and they didn’t like some of the things that were in the book, but it was the truth. So what are they going to do?

Of course he neglects to say he was made to remove things from the book(Don H.'s statement "It was the law"). He also mentions about not wanting to slander or defame someone - lol !
Glad he did not mention the same old same old about reaching out to "them" and getting no response. As you said, he seems to have calmed down his baiting remarks the last year or so.

Funk 50
07-13-2017, 08:54 AM
It actually made me laugh too! New Kid In Town :grin:

but I don't think Fingers was attempting to be funny :-)

New Kid In Town
07-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Funk, me either.......

chaim
07-13-2017, 01:06 PM
It is not "the truth" when you carefully choose what to tell and what to leave out. Life with human beings doesn't work that way. The common frightening problem with autobiographies is that the author thinks it's "the truth". It's even more scary when the reader thinks it's "the truth".

Yes, a certain thing you say about someone may be true in that it did happen, but it is not the truth about the overall situation, the big picture - and certainly not "the truth" about the person you're talking about.

UndertheWire
08-21-2017, 11:02 AM
This two-part interview from 2014 wasn't posted on this thread. As it's old, the subjects are familiar, but there's a little more depth.
https://michaelcavacini.com/2014/06/09/a-conversation-with-don-felder-part-1/

Dawn
08-25-2017, 01:39 AM
Great interview with Don Felder Kinexions 2016

Interesting discussion about Don Felder learning to play HC on his nylon string guitar, never heard this before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S2owegNYfM4

Delilah
09-22-2017, 01:56 PM
This link has some nice photos of the Children Matter Benefit Concert held on Sept. 20. There is also a short video clip of Don performing with Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick (the 6th video clip down). Proceeds of the concert will benefit the victims of Hurricane Harvey.

http://www.92kqrs.com/2017/09/21/photos-the-children-matter-benefit-concert-starring-gene-simmons-band-don-felder-cheap-trick-and-ace-frehley/

Dawn
09-22-2017, 03:12 PM
Awesome pics of a great event/cause. Thanks Delilah!
Here's one of Don ... looking good!

http://images.tritondigitalcms.com/6616/sites/199/2017/09/21110358/KD-62-of-99.jpg

chaim
09-23-2017, 07:27 AM
According to a Kiss fan who was there Gene referred to Don as Don Henley accidentally. I don't know whether he noticed this and corrected himself or not.

Delilah
11-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Don is interviewed for a concert preview ahead of his most recent performance. His album is still in the works.

[Don Felder] said the new album, like his last one, would be full of guest appearances, revealing that, among others, Sammy Hagar had contributed vocals, and that guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani joined him on a track that recalls the famed outro riff of “Hotel California,” though he was quick to clarify that it’s “not quite exactly like that, ’cause Satch doesn’t play like Joe [Walsh], and I don’t try to repeat myself by playing the same things I did 40 years ago.”

Also, he says this about this time in the Eagles:

“I have a lot of great memories of my time in the Eagles — times of us not necessarily grinding in the studio or worn down to a frazzle by being on the road for 11 months out of the year, but times when we were fresh and enthusiastic and young and excited, and creative juices were flowing and ideas were pouring out of everybody,” Felder said. “However the stars aligned, or whatever was in the water that we were drinking at the time — or whatever was in what we were smoking at the time! — produced those songs and those magical moments. That particular combination of people and time and space created that noise, and we had a really great time doing it.”

”Don Felder bringing ‘Hotel California’ to Utah on Friday night” The Salt Lake Tribune, Nov. 9, 2017 (http://www.sltrib.com/pb/artsliving/music/2017/11/09/don-felder-still-chasing-those-magical-moments-he-had-with-the-eagles)

YoungEaglesFan
11-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Don is interviewed for a concert preview ahead of his most recent performance. His album is still in the works.

Also, he says this about this time in the Eagles:

”Don Felder bringing ‘Hotel California’ to Utah on Friday night” The Salt Lake Tribune, Nov. 9, 2017 (http://www.sltrib.com/pb/artsliving/music/2017/11/09/don-felder-still-chasing-those-magical-moments-he-had-with-the-eagles)

Wait so he’s making a new album?

Delilah
11-16-2017, 11:05 AM
Wait so he’s making a new album?

Yes, it’s been in the works for awhile. He said something about releasing it last Spring. I don’t remember if it was supposed to be a full album though. Maybe by now he’s added more tracks.

Delilah
02-08-2018, 10:25 PM
Apparently Don has been in more contact with Joe and Timothy than some of us thought. This interview from last summer has some interesting revelations.

Are you in contact with any Eagles members?
Not really directly. Although I did run into Timothy Schmit just by happenstance. We were both having lunch at the same café, and he came and sat down right behind me! And the guy that was sitting across from me, said, “I think that’s your old bass player. Y’know, the guy with the long hair.” I turned around, and he was turning around looking at me; we were face to face! I sat down with him and talked—probably had a half-hour conversation, before I had to leave and go back to the studio. It was great. I really love the guy. Fantastic artist and a really nice guy. I have no problems with him whatsoever.

What about Joe Walsh?
When I do radio interviews and I know Joe will be going in or phoning into this radio station, I always have them record something that I leave for Joe, either a joke or a hello or a question I think they should ask him. And he does the same for me. Indirectly, we’ve had conversations, but not directly.

”Ex-Eagle Don Felder Soars Once More” Long Island Pulse, Aug. 7, 2017 (http://lipulse.com/2017/08/07/ex-eagle-don-felder-soars/)

chaim
02-09-2018, 05:04 PM
Cool. Nice that there's been some kind of contact. The Timothy thing was just a happy coincidence, but the Joe thing sounds funny.

Delilah
04-13-2018, 12:52 PM
This appears to be an excerpt from a 2014 interview so chances are it’s been covered already. But since it was re-published recently, I thought I’d post it. This is an interesting part about TIE.

2. A great example is the song “Take It Easy.” In the first two verses, it goes G-D-C. But in the third verse, for just one chord, it goes G-D-A minor. Where does an idea like that come from?

Jackson Browne actually wrote, I would say, 90% of “Take It Easy.” That chord change came, I believe, from Jackson. As long as I’ve known that song, that third verse has the Am instead of the C in it. It kind of makes it a little different. A lot of people who play it just forget it; they just go right back to the C like in the first two verses. Those sort of intentional little unique things — lyrically, melodically, arrangement-wise, background-vocal-wise, everything was just a little different [each time]. I thought it made it more interesting than just cut/copy/paste replication.

”5 Questions With Don Felder” by Mitch Gallagher, sweetwater.com, Jan. 8, 2018 (https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/5-questions-don-felder/)

NightMistBlue
04-13-2018, 04:31 PM
Thanks, Delilah! The tricky intro always gets me. The count is just devilish: begins on the "and" of 4 (why???). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz1kuhapjH0

chaim
04-13-2018, 04:54 PM
Thanks, Delilah! The tricky intro always gets me. The count is just devilish: begins on the "and" of 4 (why???). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz1kuhapjH0

Yeah, when Kiss did the song as a tribute to Glenn they played the pickup bit ("and of 4") like it's the "one" of the first bar. I heard it like that initially too, but at some point I got it.

NightMistBlue
04-13-2018, 06:09 PM
I'm trying to imagine Kiss playing TIE :) I hope Paul sang the lead.

chaim
04-13-2018, 06:15 PM
I'm trying to imagine Kiss playing TIE :) I hope Paul sang the lead.

He did. He was criticized in the KISSFAQ forum for not learning the lyrics. But I thought it was a nice gesture anyway. I think it was a small gig - maybe one of the "Kiss Kruises". I don't think they wore makeup.

EDIT:

Yeah, here it is. Starts at 1:03... https://youtu.be/xBelroOVFNA

Shot from a bit closer: https://youtu.be/-mu2_zoqPfw Looks like Gene's playing by instinct...

Tommy plays the A minor instead of C in the final verse. Gene plays the C. :lol: Seems that Tommy was the only one who did his homework. This must have been a last minute decision.

NightMistBlue
04-13-2018, 06:31 PM
That wasn't awful! Very low energy, but I guess it was a rehearsal?

chaim
04-13-2018, 06:38 PM
That wasn't awful! Very low energy, but I guess it was a rehearsal?

I have no idea. But it's clear that they hadn't rehearsed. They could do the song much better. But I was glad anyway that they did a little tribute to Glenn. I don't remember them doing such a tribute to anyone else. They certainly don't do it often.

Delilah
04-13-2018, 06:53 PM
Jeez, that was a train wreck, except for Tommy’s guitar solo, which was pretty good. I cracked up at one of the comments asking if that was Ace playing drums. :hilarious:

As for Paul’s singing, well it’s the thought that counts. :rockon:

ETA: I bet the Eagles could do pretty good cover of Beth.

Dawn
04-21-2018, 04:32 PM
Has the word that Jeff Coffey is joining Don Felder to play bass gotten out yet?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/JeffCoffeyMusic/events/?ref=page_internal

Delilah
12-28-2018, 11:41 AM
An interview with Don from last month- “The Dude is ‘entitled to his feelings’ on the Eagles”-

He reveals a little more about his upcoming album.

For a musician of your stature and caliber, it seems astonishing that you've only released two solo albums, and they're nearly 30 years apart. Do you just wait until you're quite certain you have material you want to release, as opposed to simply putting product out there for consumers to buy?

I think it's both. I have just recently finished another solo project that's been two years in the writing and recording process, and in between touring, when I had a week or ten days off the road, I was in the studio. So, it's more difficult to have enough concise time set aside to write, record, and produce 10, 12, 13 tracks that are high quality.

I won't put out a song on a record that I don't really believe in — that I don't believe is “A” caliber. There are no b-sides on any of my records that I can judge. I've already started writing songs for my next project, even though this hasn't been released. It'll be out somewhere at the end of the first quarter of 2019. Hopefully, it won't be as long between releases again.

It’s kind of surprising to learn some people were calling out requests for “Heavy Metal (Takin’ a Ride)” at HFO concerts.

I find it really wonderful that you play your song from the Heavy Metal soundtrack, 'Heavy Metal (Takin' a Ride)” as a regular part of your sets.

I do. It was funny, because during the Eagles' Hell Freezes Over Tour, there would be at least five or ten people that would yell out, “HEAVY METAL!” and want the Eagles to play that song, although that was never going to happen. That track was originally written for The Long Run record, so that Joe [Walsh] and I would have some real estate to actually play off of each other on. We could trade solos, and there's harmony parts we could've played together.

https://www.thepitchkc.com/arts-entertainment/music/qas/blog/21031004/the-eagles-don-felder-on-his-solo-career-heavy-metal-and-the-dude-ahead-of-sundays-jccc-show

sodascouts
12-28-2018, 12:33 PM
An interview with Don from last month- “The Dude is ‘entitled to his feelings’ on the Eagles”-

Thanks for posting this! Good to hear more.

[
It’s kind of surprising to learn some people were calling out requests for “Heavy Metal (Takin’ a Ride)” at HFO concerts.

https://www.thepitchkc.com/arts-entertainment/music/qas/blog/21031004/the-eagles-don-felder-on-his-solo-career-heavy-metal-and-the-dude-ahead-of-sundays-jccc-show

I find it very surprising. That song was not exactly a hit (it topped out at #43). Perhaps the cult following of the movie has given it additional legs.

takeiteasy
12-30-2018, 03:39 PM

Thanks for this, Delilah! :thumbsup:

Delilah
12-30-2018, 05:29 PM
You’re welcome, Soda and takeiteasy. :-)

I find it very surprising. That song was not exactly a hit (it topped out at #43). Perhaps the cult following of the movie has given it additional legs.

Yeah, it probably did have to do with the movie and its cult status. I believe it was featured on “South Park” too but of course that was well after the HFO tour.

Delilah
01-26-2019, 01:22 PM
I’m reposting the link to the Rolling Stone article that originally appeared in the Don’s New Album thread.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/don-felder-new-album-slash-bob-weir-sammy-hagar-783638/?fbclid=IwAR2LRrEzjOdhDMAIJWx2K_K72t_P9sm0sKJQ4anE cczuG4gjQnXgkkitdgs

This passage towards the end has generated some interest in discussion.

Despite the near two-decades of bitterness, Felder says he’s ready to make peace with Henley and the other surviving members of the Eagles. “I have reached out numerous times to Don and to Glenn [Frey] before he passed,” says Felder. “I sent them through personal channels, legal channels and any other way that I could think of. I just want to give them my best wishes and say that I have no ill feelings towards them at all. There’s no reason to go forward carrying animosity.”

He continues: “I’ve heard it said that the only thing that comes from carrying anger and hate at someone is that it burns the vessel that holds it. That means the only thing that gets hurt by holding onto those feelings of bitterness and hate is yourself. I’ve let all that go. I wish those guys well and I’d play with them again in a heartbeat. But if you would ask Don Henley, I’m certain he’d have a different opinion about what the future would look like involving me.”

In the other thread, FreyFollower posted this:

I agree, WF. In saying that HE has "let go of bitterness and hate" and that the guys don't respond when he "reaches out", he is only continuing to spread the belief that they are the bad guys. I think that the guys have responded like in any relationship that ended badly; you shift focus, drop them from your thought process, concentrate on your life without them, and move on. It doesn't mean you hate someone just because they do not work well in your life, especially with a couple of failed attempts to do so. You are only wise to avoid such people. (Especially if they write a tell-all and sue you, lol) Don is an excellent talent and would have better spent these last 20 years expanding his horizons rather than clinging to his rear view mirror. I never understood why he never joined another great band or formed his own. I think that working with these artists is a great idea. I hope that this album does well, and that he continues ahead forging his own path.

I believe Felder is simply responding to a reporter’s question about whether he’s had contact with the other Eagles. Let’s face it: this question will never completely go away as long as both Dons are alive. Felder can only speak for himself obviously and if he’s gotten no response then he has to be truthful and say he’s gotten no response. For those who don’t follow him and keep up with his social media where he talks about his music, shows, family, etc. the impression they may get is that he is “clinging to his rear view mirror” and not “expanding his horizons” which I believe is a false impression. He has managed to carve out a fairly successful and fulfilling career for himself whereas members of other famous bands have failed going solo. There is more to Felder than his relationship, or lack thereof, with the other Eagles, yet that seems to be the only thing some people care about, or focus on. There was plenty of other stuff in the article, too.

takeiteasy
01-26-2019, 05:49 PM
:bow: :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
01-26-2019, 06:16 PM
I'm fine with continuing it here. That's fine, I understand wanting to move the discussion. But I do wish to discuss it, so I'll do it here.

Let me just say that I agree with FreyFollower completely. (See FF's post in the Charmed thread or in the quotes in the original post of this thread for reference) The Eagles were completely right to avoid his drama and "woe is me" personality. And they were better for it. I think to them it was either call it quits or get rid of the problem that caused them to break up the first time. I'm in full support of the band firing Felder to make the band survive longer and avoid interpersonal conflict. Glenn did the right thing here. I was on the other side of the equation for a long time before I woke up and smelled the roses so to speak.

If he's "over it", he needs to show it for a change. If the reporter asked the question, he can very easily say "no comment" or tell them there will be no questions like that ahead of time. Felder is a big boy and he can tell the reporters he's not interested in discussing his relationship with Glenn and Don. He always portrays himself as the victim, but really he isn't. There are two sides to every story and I certainly recommend anyone who is basing everything from Felder's book or his perspective to try to look at it from the other perspective. He was a chronic whiner, and was a malcontent. He wasn't happy with how he was paid in HFO. Simply put, Glenn deserved more money than Felder. So did Henley. They were the principal songwriters and the head honchos and the ones who really gave Felder this job in the first place. Instead of taking his pay, which I can only speculate that it was a healthy sum - he had to complain about it. And sure, the first time you complain you are shut down and told why you can't have it your way. But to keep poking the bear, and not expect to get eaten is simply foolish. You mess with the bull, you get the horns. You play with fire, you'll get burnt. Maybe not the first time or the third. But it's just a matter of time before you will pay the price. And if you prove yourself to be a drama queen in a band and someone who brings everybody down, especially the boss, you are going to be fired and rightly so. I have no sympathy in that regard. And I also echo FF's sentiment about wishing Felder had done more to distance himself from the Eagles years. I think he needed the Eagles more than the reverse. Otherwise he'd have been more successful solo. He's still looking to take a sip from the Eagles' cup after all these years. If he was treated as badly as he proclaims, I sure wouldn't want to try to go back or reach out. I'd be avoiding THEM. If you can't stand the heat - get out of the kitchen Don.

Felder still isn't over it.

CAinOH
01-26-2019, 06:33 PM
I'll admit, I was surprised to see the ending of the article where Felder talked about "reaching out" and not hearing anything back. My first reaction was, "Still? You're still talking about this?"

WalshFan88
01-26-2019, 06:41 PM
I'll admit, I was surprised to see the ending of the article where Felder talked about "reaching out" and not hearing anything back. My first reaction was, "Still? You're still talking about this?"

Amen, CA!

I think he has some regret over how he handled his own behavior during the HFO years and is wishing he could have had more self control back then, but that bridge has long been burnt and unless someone creates a time machine, there is simply no going back. I don't think he could have gone back even if he didn't sue them or write the nasty things he did about them in his book, but the latter definitely sealed his fate in regards to any future with the Eagles. If you do the crime, you do the time, and I think that fits here. I certainly wish I could have seen the band with Felder, and I wish he wasn't fired. But he bears all of the blame here. You can't expect to get away with the kinds of things he did and just think it will all be rainbows and sunshine. After awhile, whining gets old and very, very tiresome. I can understand the band.

takeiteasy
01-26-2019, 07:34 PM
:yawn:

New Kid In Town
01-26-2019, 08:49 PM
Austin and FF I could not agree more. Sadly, Don is not over it and never will be. And, he knows that for most of the past 18 years there was a Court Order preventing the two parties from contacting and speaking to each other. In fact, according to Don H., the case was still in litigation as late as 2013. Don could easily say "no comment" or something along the line of "that was 18 years ago and I don't want to discuss it". Instead, he keeps giving the same response about trying to reach Don and Glenn and getting no response when he knows they were prevented from doing so. I am surprised he still talks about getting back in the band. As others have said, if things were that bad and he was treated so horribly, why would you want to go back again ?

Don is a talented musician and he seems to be happy with his band and his life. Good for him. He has to know/realize that Don Henley will never speak to him. You cannot write a tell all book trashing your band mates and expected to be welcomed with open arms. I read Don 's book and his whiny "poor me" attitude got on my nerves. He condemned his band mates for their behavior and drug use when he was doing the same thing. I am sure none of them were nice to be around then. Drugs and alcohol bring out the worst in people and it did with all of them.

WalshFan88
01-26-2019, 08:50 PM
Agreed NKIT.

FreyFollower
01-26-2019, 11:23 PM
Yes, NKIT, I wasn't meaning to pick at an old wound, and I'm sorry now that I mentioned it. I guess I am tired of the old mantra : "they won't talk to me", and was dismayed to see it again. But Delilah is right, I am not educated in all of Felder's pursuits, and may have the wrong impression . I'm sorry about that. He just needs to be aware that these interviews are all that most folks get from him. I think that minimizing such comments would serve him well. Best Wishes to all. I'm done.

01-28-2019, 03:40 PM
Well, as I said in another thread, there is no need for any of us to be sorry for expressing our thoughts about this. As long as Felder keeps commenting, then fans will keep responding. Whatever the truth is, ITA agree that no comments at all would serve Felder best because continuing to comment does make it appear that he has not gotten over it. In his book, he even writes that going back to the mid-90's that even his then-wife, Susan, kept encouraging him to 'get over it' and he was unable to accept her advice.

takeiteasy
01-28-2019, 07:22 PM
:brickwall: :zzz:

WalshFan88
01-28-2019, 09:30 PM
I agree Dreamer. No one should feel bad for what they said (NKIT, FF, me, etc).

And good point about Susan and the book.

Don has never been able to get over it. To use a David Geffen term, he's a malcontent. He wasn't going to be happy unless everything went his way. His acting the way he did at the Cranston benefit certainly led to the breakup of the band (at the very least, it definitely affected it), and I don't think the guys wanted that to happen again and no one wants to be around someone who doesn't know when to drop it and move on.

chaim
02-09-2019, 03:04 PM
A "perhaps even I did something wrong" could be a nice opening for trying to get back together, but this seems to still be in the "I've forgiven them" phase. I've seen no signs of self-reflection at least in public.

WalshFan88
02-09-2019, 04:22 PM
A "perhaps even I did something wrong" could be a nice opening for trying to get back together, but this seems to still be in the "I've forgiven them" phase. I've seen no signs of self-reflection at least in public.

I think he's too proud to do that. He's not too proud to beg for his job back, but too proud to admit it was likely his fault or at least a big part of it was his fault. Or at least be man enough to say "I messed up".

And TBH, I wouldn't want him to join the current "band". I think that'd be another slap in the face to Glenn. And while I might not like Don Henley, I think he probably realizes that it wouldn't be the right thing to do either, let alone any of his own beefs with DF. Henley probably hates him as much as Glenn did, so there's that. But even if Henley liked him now, I'd like to think he'd realize it would be a mistake to do that.

Also, my opinion of Steuart Smith has grown over the years. I think he deserved/deserves to be in the band. He paid his dues. Does he sound exactly like Felder, no. But he more than plays the part and he really is a terrific musician. I would like to meet Stu and pick his brain about what he's used with the Eagles over the years. I think we need a Steuart Smith appreciation thread at some point with pictures and where we talk about his involvement in the band in a positive light. I think he's as much of an Eagle now as DF was. Obviously, not everyone agrees and that's fine. And he certainly was never billed as one, even with Glenn.