PDA

View Full Version : Moody Blues

chaim
11-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Any Moody Blues fans here? They're one of my favorite bands, and "To our children's children's children" is one of the greatest albums ever made in my opinion. Here's a great, unknown track from that album:

(You can hear the previous song fading out at the beginning. They did a lot of crossfades on their albums. A DJ's nightmare in the vinyl days!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiw9-HLkXU

chaim
11-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Other tunes from the same album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0p1MwX6vG4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_zc1YIh7K0

The Thrill Is Never Gone
11-01-2013, 10:36 AM
I like the Moody Blues also. Every Good Boy Deserves Favour. Great Album. The Story in your Eyes. Great Song

prayfordaylight
11-01-2013, 12:51 PM
MASSIVE Moodies fan here thanks to my dad. I see them at least once a year.

I also saw Justin and got his autograph on his solo tour in August which was amazing.

My favorite Moodies song is also a rarity. It's an outtake from the Keys of the Kingdom sessions called "Highway".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PakmcMSF78g

chaim
11-01-2013, 01:10 PM
MASSIVE Moodies fan here thanks to my dad. I see them at least once a year.

I also saw Justin and got his autograph on his solo tour in August which was amazing.

My favorite Moodies song is also a rarity. It's an outtake from the Keys of the Kingdom sessions called "Highway".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PakmcMSF78g

I'm not sure if I've ever heard this. I've seen the title many times in the Time Traveller box set, but I don't have it. It seems similar to Lean On Me in terms of arrangement and rhythm, so maybe they felt they were too similar to appear on the same album? A great tune!

Freypower
11-01-2013, 05:42 PM
I saw them twice back in the 80s but surprisingly the only album I have apart from a compilation is Long Distance Voyager. They put on a fantastic show; this is when Ray Thomas, the flautist, was still with them. My favourite songs are as follows:

Nights In White Satin
Question
Isn't Life Strange
In My World
Talking Out Of Turn
For My Lady
The Voice
I'm Just A Singer In a Rock'n'Roll Band

and Justin Hayward's Forever Autumn & Hayward/Lodge's Blue Guitar.

chaim
11-01-2013, 06:03 PM
I saw them twice back in the 80s but surprisingly the only album I have apart from a compilation is Long Distance Voyager. They put on a fantastic show; this is when Ray Thomas, the flautist, was still with them. My favourite songs are as follows:

Nights In White Satin
Question
Isn't Life Strange
In My World
Talking Out Of Turn
For My Lady
The Voice
I'm Just A Singer In a Rock'n'Roll Band

and Justin Hayward's Forever Autumn & Hayward/Lodge's Blue Guitar.

They played For My Lady at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in 1992. I recently saw a document about that gig. It was a surprise to my that it was the first time they played that song live. It was covered here in Finland in the 80's by a guy who's famous here. It was sung in Finnish. I'd always thought that the original was a hit, but I guess it wasn't. A fantastic song.
Talking Out Of Turn is interesting. I think it was in that same document that some guy mentioned it as a favorite song of his. They have also played it live later. And now you mentioned it. I find it interesting, because I'm a Moody Blues fan, but I don't hear anything in this song. Is it the lyric or melody, or both that makes the song great for you?

Freypower
11-01-2013, 06:37 PM
That rousing chorus:

Talking out of turn
Shot to pieces
When will I learn?

set to a brilliant & uplifting melody which, despite the sadness, makes you want to sing along. What about the strings at the end? It really lifts you up.

The lyrics are some of my favourite lost love lyrics. I just find it moving & heartfelt, particularly the second verse:

But I took a little more of you each day
When I didn't see that I was breaking you apart
With angry words of love I didn't mean
Oh why, can't believe that I would ever
Talk myself out of tomorrow
Talked like a fool to yesterday
And as the evening loses colour
Your love began to fade away

It is English restraint.

I also see it as the 'sad' counterpart to the 'happy' In My World from the same album. I could have listed every other song from that album, especially 22000 Days & Veteran Cosmic Rocker.

mustangkim11
11-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Yes, big Moodies fan here. I've seen them live 11 times and met John Lodge (bassist) in 2000.

chaim
11-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes, big Moodies fan here. I've seen them live 11 times and met John Lodge (bassist) in 2000.

What was he like?

Was he tall, by the way? I understand that both Justin and John are about 6'1''. When you listen to their gentle music, you don't imagine them as big guys.:hilarious:

SteveJoburg
12-08-2013, 03:19 AM
I love the Moody Blues. My dad had all the albums on vinyl when I was a kid. (Along with The Beatles, Led Zep, The Stones etc. etc.)

In Search Of The Lost Chord is one of the greatest albums of all time in my opinion.

I have a really decent Blu Ray of them which is well worth watching. They were here last year (double bill with 10cc) but we were not able to make it unfortunately. I was really miffed at the time)

sodascouts
12-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Aw, too bad. Hopefully they'll come your way again!

StephUK
12-08-2013, 07:47 PM
I also like the Moody Blues. Fave songs:-

Isn't Life Strange
I know you're out there somewhere
Lovely to see you
Nervous

Never seen them live though

WS82Classics
10-11-2016, 10:46 PM
My favourite non-Eagles, non-Beatles band. "Nights in White Satin" blew my mind the first time I ever heard it when I was 13. When I really became immersed in 60's and 70's-era classic rock music a year later, the Moody Blues, along with the Beatles, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and Jethro Tull, helped to lead the way in my musical development.

Top 10 favourite Moody Blues songs(strictly classic period Moodies):

1. Question
2. Tuesday Afternoon(Evening Time to Get Away)
3. Legend of a Mind
4. Departure/Ride My See Saw
5. In the Beginning/Lovely to See You
6. You & Me
7. The Story in Your Eyes
8. Nights in White Satin
9. Floating
10. Beyond

Dawn
09-07-2017, 05:58 PM
Lately I have been listening to alot of Moody Blues and watching videos of past concerts. As much as I adore the Eagles I am and always will be devoted to the Moody Blues ... IMHO there is no one above them.

My favorite song is I know You're Out There Somewhere.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ6h84ZsuW4

Next in order of favorites is

For My Lady,
Never Comes the Day,
Knights in White Satin,
Tuesday Afternoon,
Singer in a Rock and Roll Band,
Isnt Life Strange,
Question,

I could go on but really I pretty much love all their work lol

Back to the Future ... listening to righ now

Never Comes the Day 1970

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8dzRdyC0abA

Freypower
09-07-2017, 06:23 PM
I'll be seeing Justin Hayward solo next month.

Dawn
09-07-2017, 08:23 PM
I would love to see The Wind of Heaven tour have a great time!!!!

Edited to add

FP, I've read the 1978 "Forever Autumn" has been a veritable show stealer in his earlier solo shows this year. I hope he performs Western Sky and Watching and Waiting, two other songs he gets much praise for. :inlove:

Dawn
09-09-2017, 09:33 PM
In 2015 Justin Hayward gave an interview and was asked why he was still touring at age 68 -

“To be able to create a little bit of magic in a room is very addictive and something that I never really want to give up.”

Then he adds with a smile: “And I need the money!”

This last point sounds hard to believe. After all, Nights In White Satin alone has charted three times in the UK and sold five million copies around the world.

It turns out, however, that Hayward only ever had very limited rights to the song after signing an eight-year contract in 1965 with music publisher Lonnie Donegan, who had made his name in the 1950s as “the King of Skiffle”.

With hindsight, it’s clear that Donegan took advantage of the naivety of a 17-year-old boy whose unworldly teacher parents were in no position to warn him of the deal’s pitfalls.

“It was a move that I regretted,” admits Hayward.

“It was stupid. I was working with Marty [Wilde] at the time and he said to me, ‘Don’t do it, don’t go anywhere near it’.

But Lonnie and the people involved were saying, ‘Boy, you need protection for your songs’, and I was so flattered.

It lasted eight years but everything in that eight years is for lifetime of copyright, which lasts until 50 years after my death.”

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/565107/Justin-Hayward-tour-live-moody-blues
---------------

Such a shame ... for Justin and so many others. :sigh:

New Kid In Town
09-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Dawn - Wow, how sad is that. I am afraid that his story appears to be all too common for so many groups from the 50's & 60's. Even Don and Glenn said when they signed that first contract with David Geffen they were "young, stupid and naive". Lucky for them there was all those conflicts of interest with David Geffen. Small wonder they love their little satin Irving Azoff. He continually fought for them and got them everything they deserved.
I always like the Moody Blues. Have a great time FP.

Freypower
10-19-2017, 06:00 PM
The Justin Hayward show was certainly intimate; just him, a guitarist & female keyboardist. He left the electric guitar to the young guitarist (Mike Dawes) & only played acoustic himself. The setlist was a mixture of deep Moody Blues songs which I didn't know ((Out & In, Watching & Waiting) & more familiar songs such as Question, Nights In White Satin, Your Wildest Dreams & I Know You're Out There Somewhere. We had Forever Autumn & more solo songs such as The Western Sky & The Wind Of Heaven which I swear were almost country rock. He still looks good at 71! ETA: Yes, he did Watching & Waiting.

Annoying Twit
10-19-2017, 06:19 PM
The Moodies are a band that I missed. I know the song 'Go Now', and of course 'Nights in White Satin'. But, I really don't know much else about them.

chaim
10-19-2017, 09:59 PM
Justin played Mike Pinder's magnificent Out & In?? :shock:

Freypower
10-19-2017, 10:09 PM
Jusin played Mike Pinder's magnificent Out & In?? :shock:

Yes. Foxfeeder at the Genesis board got quite excited when he saw it a couple of weeks before I did. The truth is I don't know the song. :blush:

Dawn
10-19-2017, 10:27 PM
The Justin Hayward show was certainly intimate; just him, a guitarist & female keyboardist. He left the electric guitar to the young guitarist (Mike Dawes) & only played acoustic himself. The setlist was a mixture of deep Moody Blues songs which I didn't know ((Out & In, Watching & Waiting) & more familiar songs such as Question, Nights In White Satin, Your Wildest Dreams & I Know You're Out There Somewhere. We had Forever Autumn & more solo songs such as The Western Sky & The Wind Of Heaven which I swear were almost country rock. He still looks good at 71! ETA: Yes, he did Watching & Waiting.

Thank you FP I am so happy you saw this show!!! What a heavenly evening!!!

NightMistBlue
10-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Isn't Mike Dawes amazing? He had double-duty as the opening act when I saw Justin earlier this year.

Freypower
10-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Isn't Mike Dawes amazing? He had double-duty as the opening act when I saw Justin earlier this year.

Yes; very talented young man.

Dawn
11-25-2017, 12:15 PM
Today Nov 25 2017

Moody Blues Days Of Future Passed Live

Presented by PBS please check your local listings for air time

http://bestclassicbands.com/moody-blues-days-live-pbs-11-13-17/

:wave: this is going to be great!!

NightMistBlue
12-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Oh snap, I was out of town and missed it. Hopefully, they'll show it again.

I loved the PBS special of Justin solo "Spirits of the Western Sky" live.