PDA

View Full Version : Possible reason for lack of early show DVDs

UK TimFan
01-25-2014, 05:30 PM
The quote is of a post MC made in the 'Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread' but I've brought it over to a new thread as I didn't want to go off-topic. :-)

There could be ongoing issues related to technologies that didn't even exist in the 2000s - Pandora, Spotify, iTunes, that Felder is looking for his share of. A well-written settlement agreement would have included language to the effect of "...any technology existing now or developed in the future..." - that's standard. So, who knows what issues remain. If there are issues in 2013, the lawyers did not do a good job for Don and Glenn. They should have been able to pay off Felder and be done with him. But, I'm sure it is very complicated and we don't know the half of it. I'm also sure that none of their current issues, if any, are in the court record and that they are using a private mediator. They don't want to air their Dirty Laundry (see what I did there hahahha!!).
I wonder if this is one of the reasons why the Eagles haven't released DVDs of their early shows?
So we, the fans, can't have legitimate (i.e. excellent quality bearing in mind any recording limitations from those days) DVDs of their pre-HFO shows, either with or without Don F? Though I would have thought that pre-DF shows should be able to be released without problems. On the other hand, are DH and GF going to demand a greater share of the money because they are still Eagles and have 'kept the name alive' while Bernie and Randy are ex-members? If so, DH and GF need to be aware that people would buy DVDs of the early shows because Bernie or Randy are in them and not because Don H or Glenn are.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Well, they did recently release a DVD of the 1977 Capital Centre concert in DC! I've often wondered the same thing, though not really in terms of money (who would get how much, etc). I've always figured that if such footage still existed, knowing our guys and what perfectionists they are, they figure the quality isn't there and can't be fixed.

sodascouts
01-25-2014, 06:16 PM
Another element is that these guys don't necessarily own the distribution rights to these shows.

For instance, the BBC owns that 1973 concert; PopGala (or whoever owns that material now that it's defunct) has control over the 1973 concert in the Netherlands; the Don Kirshner Rock Hour (or whoever owns their material now that it's defunct - was that on ABC?) has control over that 1974 show.

Bootlegs certainly aren't owned by the band, and that's what Houston 1976, Seattle 1976, and other similar shows are.

Think about it. How many shows did the Eagles themselves pay to be filmed? How many weren't filmed for a TV program or by bootleggers, and are thus owned by others?

Midnight Visitor
01-25-2014, 07:28 PM
The Houston show exists because that venue recorded all their shows to beam them over to the VIP Bar. I've seen bootleg Houston shows for so many bands I can't list them all. All from the mid to late 70's. So, if the venue paid to do that the Eagles don't hold the right to release it. Of course, no one at that venue was supposed to release those because they don't own the rights to the songs.

Tiffanny Twisted
01-25-2014, 07:53 PM
ok so how do you get a "bootleg " copy .lol

tjh532
01-25-2014, 09:00 PM
I would be interested in knowing that as well ;)

UK TimFan
01-26-2014, 03:20 AM
Another element is that these guys don't necessarily own the distribution rights to these shows.

For instance, the BBC owns that 1973 concert; PopGala (or whoever owns that material now that it's defunct) has control over the 1973 concert in the Netherlands; the Don Kirshner Rock Hour (or whoever owns their material now that it's defunct - was that on ABC?) has control over that 1974 show.

Bootlegs certainly aren't owned by the band, and that's what Houston 1976, Seattle 1976, and other similar shows are.

Think about it. How many shows did the Eagles themselves pay to be filmed? How many weren't filmed for a TV program or by bootleggers, and are thus owned by others?
Ah, there may be a slight misunderstanding on my part. I asked the question because I was under the impression (gained either from here or the HOTE documentary) that the Eagles had filmed (all) their shows. Or do I perhaps mean 'recorded' - which could therefore be video or audio format. (I know Barry Manilow says that he's recorded every show he's done in one of those formats.)

I wasn't including broadcast TV shows such as the BBC one, nor bootlegs in my query.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-26-2014, 10:26 AM
What I'd always heard was that they recorded every show. In this day and age you think that's video, but back in the 70s I'm thinking that was audio only? I don't know, of course.

Midnight Visitor
01-26-2014, 11:15 AM
No way did they pay for a film crew to film them every night. They must be talking about audio. The expense of filming back then was much greater then it is now.

Thirsty&Hot
02-20-2014, 11:46 PM
What I'd always heard was that they recorded every show. In this day and age you think that's video, but back in the 70s I'm thinking that was audio only? I don't know, of course.

I thought I heard that too...maybe here on the Border somewhere...

in any case..this is an interesting thread and you all raise a lot of good points as to why they haven't/can't release footage that isn't theirs etc.

maherhar
04-06-2015, 07:25 AM
I would be so hard for a long run release.

Funk 50
04-06-2015, 08:17 AM
When the Eagles released Eagles live in 1980, some 1976 recordings to get performances of Randy's showstopping, Take It To The Limit, among a couple of others.

I'd love to hear more live audio releases, although I don't like listening to the live millennium disc.

When Don Henley appeared on Later with Jools Holland for a chat, they played him part of the Eagles performance of Witchy Woman from the 1973 BBC concert, When we perform that now, we play it in tune and at the correct tempo, was Don's response. After hearing that, I wasn't expecting the Eagles to sanction an official release.

My other favourite band, Genesis are absolutely awash with audio and video footage of their career. They were constantly on the TV and radio.
I think Phil Collins must have released his personal archive. Apparently, he'd get a soundboard recording at the end of every show, so he could do a, sort of, critical debrief.

chaim
04-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Even if they did record every show, they probably weren't big budget recordings, but recordings with just enough quality for them to listen to how they'd sung/played that night. And if such tapes still exists, they probably don't have the individual tracks anymore, so they can't be re-mixed.

Pure speculation, as always.:)

(I'm not a fan of theories that suggest that everything is about money for Glenn and Don. I don't buy the theory that they won't do anything if someone else might receive some money too.)

NightMistBlue
04-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Someone, somewhere must have something on Irving & the boys that would "convince" them to allow a release of a compilation DVD of early Eagles performances :) Please, guys!! If only to celebrate Glenn's awesome early 70s hair.

Speaking of which, a video of "Tryin'" from Central Park 1972 has turned up. Is this a new thing? I haven't seen it before (only "Take It Easy") but I'm a newish fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=29&v=E2OE71aGDF4

UndertheWire
04-07-2015, 02:00 PM
That's new to me and quite a treat. Look how much they move around! I always enjoy "Tryin'"

GlennLover
04-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Wow, NBM! I've never seen it either! Only have seen TIE. Great find!

Brooke
04-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Woo hoo, NMB! I don't remember seeing it, but I love it!

Thanks!

NightMistBlue
04-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Isn't it wonderful?! God, I hope there's more where that came from. I wonder how many songs they filmed.

I love the smiling lovefest between Randy and Glenn around the 1:00 mark. And the groovy southwestern designs on their amps.

Funk 50
04-08-2015, 04:49 AM
Speaking of which, a video of "Tryin'" from Central Park 1972 has turned up. Is this a new thing? I haven't seen it before (only "Take It Easy") but I'm a newish fan:

Thanks for finding that NightMistBlue.

It's just become one of my favourite Eagles clips ever. It's almost the complete opposite of the Farewell One show. How wonderful to see the band and the audience sharing some unmitigated joy. Credit to the people who filmed and cut it.
Trying has just become my current favourite Eagles obscurity.

I've just read an article about Pink Floyd's David Gilmour and Rick Wright reconnecting musically on stage. After playing endless huge great arenas, on whacking great stages, they go to play Echoes at a small venue, during a Gilmour solo tour and instead of being 20 yards apart, they played the track where they could see the whites of each others eyes and the emotion in each others faces. It was a magical moment for them.

If the Eagles make a new concert dvd, I hope it's filmed in a small venue on a tiny stage, where the band and the audience can really connect and create some magic.

DJ
04-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Someone, somewhere must have something on Irving & the boys that would "convince" them to allow a release of a compilation DVD of early Eagles performances :) Please, guys!! If only to celebrate Glenn's awesome early 70s hair.

I do love this Tryin video and I like the fact Randy leaves a couple lyrics out and they rock out on their instruments instead. They all look very happy.

NightMistBlue
04-15-2015, 04:40 PM
Happy and super fox-ay!

I've seen an Eagles DVD listed on more than one auction site entitled Eagles Family Tree 1972-1974. No track listing given. Does anyone here know what it is?

Normally, the term "family tree" would indicate it featured bands that Eagles members were in before they joined the group, but those dates wouldn't make sense if that was the case.

UndertheWire
04-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Happy and super fox-ay!

I've seen an Eagles DVD listed on more than one auction site entitled Eagles Family Tree 1972-1974. No track listing given. Does anyone here know what it is?

Normally, the term "family tree" would indicate it featured bands that Eagles members were in before they joined the group, but those dates wouldn't make sense if that was the case.
Couled it be this one? http://www.stellarproducts.info/product_p/1086.htm

My guess is that in addition to the BBC and Don Kirshner concerts (or parts of), it also has some of the VH1 "Eagles Family Tree" coverage as I believe part of that was called "Rarities".

NightMistBlue
04-15-2015, 05:36 PM
Thank you, I wasn't aware of the VH-1 program.

Family Tree
In the beginning
Eagles flying
From Hotel California to broke up
Fly again

That sounds like it could be from one of those "documentaries" where rock critics pontificate on the band in question. I won't mention any names.

http://cdn-7.nflximg.com/us/boxshots/ghd/70082117.jpg