PDA

View Full Version : Favoruite moments from the Capital Centre DVD

thelastresort
01-26-2014, 10:32 AM
Apologies if this has been done before, but I saw it done for F1 and although there's not much to go at I still have a few moments on this DVD I really like:

- Joe's wonderful firecracker speech after Hotel California
- Joe's head-bobbing during NKIT
- Joe's knowing stare during after one of the 'one more time's in TITTL
- Glenn's enormous smile and the audience's cheer when Randy pulls off the long note during the above song
- Felder's solo during OOTN, the more I hear it the more I think it's one of the best an Eagle ever did
- The general merriness before, during and after Take It Easy

Anyone else?

sodascouts
01-26-2014, 04:27 PM
I think this has been mentioned in other threads but we've never had a thread dedicated solely to our favorite moments. Good idea! You've named several that came to mind immediately, especially Glenn's smile. I'll have to give it some thought for some others!

Glennsallnighter
01-26-2014, 04:48 PM
I love Glenn:heart:'s smile on that DVD! Great idea for a discussion thread. I must watch the DVD again to get some more ideas! (Any excuse!)

Tiffanny Twisted
01-26-2014, 07:23 PM
I have to re watch it again....but I love the fact that we have the whole thing.. I so wish there were more eagles dvds to watch and enjoy.
I love the young happy Gf and drum roll please the butt shot of glenn as he turns and smiles (sorry)

Brooke
01-27-2014, 11:53 AM
I don't recognize this dvd.....is it Houston 76?

thelastresort
01-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Sorry, I should specify, it's the one that came with the Deluxe edition (I think) of the History of the Eagles doc. Washington March '77 if that helps.

Brooke
01-27-2014, 01:17 PM
ahhhh, :doh:

Ive always been a dreamer
01-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Okay - tlr. I did my homework and watched the DVD again last night at the same time I was watching the Grammy Awards show. Let me just say, IMHO, the performances on the DVD outshined those on the television by far! :nod:

You have already listed some of my favorites, so I'll mention some different ones. But, first of all, regarding Joe's firecracker remark, it cracks me up at the end when Glenn says "Thank you, Joe". I think "Really - why is he thanking him for that?" I guess Glenn thought that was very useful advice. :lol:

To be honest, I practically love every moment of the entire DVD, but I'll restrain myself and give others a chance too. :wink: I'll add other favorites later if no one else mentions them, but for now, I'll list one from each song that I really like to spread the love around ...

Hotel California - The interaction between Joe and Felder during the ending solos is always a highlight for me. I never tire of watching and listening to it.

New Kid In Town - Randy's prominent harmonies are just incredibly spectacular.

Take It To the Limit - How both Glenn and Randy smile when Randy nails the high notes near the end.

One of These Nights - Love how Felder grins around the 18:15 mark.

Lyin' Eyes - Love the overall passion, energy, and upbeat tempo, which is really noticeable in Don's drumming. I love the way he holds the drumsticks here.

Rocky Mountain Way - I just love Glenn's enthusiastic keyboard work, as well as, his dancing and clapping.

The Best of My Love - My favorite part is the way Don cuts his eyes over at about the 37:10 mark.

Take It Easy - Okay, here's where I'm going to cheat a little bit because I love everything about it. This is one of the most inspired, energic, and fun performances I've ever seen from this band. The band is truly in its prime at this time, and this performance epitomizes that - the way the synergy between the band and the audience is captured here is simply incredible.

WalshFan88
01-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Hotel California - all of it! Nuff said! ;)

Midnight Visitor
01-27-2014, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=You have already listed some of my favorites, so I'll mention some different ones. But, first of all, regarding Joe's firecracker remark, it cracks me up at the end when Glenn says "Thank you, Joe". I think "Really - why is he thanking him for that?" I guess Glenn thought that was very useful advice. :lol:
[/QUOTE]

He's thanking Joe because there were so many assholes at concerts in the 70's throwing firecrackers on stage. I wouldn't be surprised if someone threw one before that speech is made. We won't know unless we get to see the whole concert some time.

I remember hearing about one drummer (don't remember who) that was hit by an M80 during a concert! It really is a public service announcement even if it was a smart ass one.

thelastresort
01-27-2014, 05:36 PM
I agree actually - the 'lock yourself in the closet' bit might be important for that theory - i.e. do it to yourself and not to us!

Midnight Visitor
01-27-2014, 05:45 PM
I agree actually - the 'lock yourself in the closet' bit might be important for that theory - i.e. do it to yourself and not to us!

Exactly! There's a very famous Pink Floyd/Roger Waters moment at a concert in 1977 in which Waters goes apesh*t on a fan in the audience for screaming and throwing firecrackers at the stage. That moment is one of the things that inspired The Wall. He was so disappointed in the rowdiness of the audiences in 1977 that he wanted the band to perform behind a wall to keep them from messing with the show.

shunlvswx
01-27-2014, 05:49 PM
When I first saw that clip on HOTE, I thought Joe was trying to be funny (or forgive me a smartazz) with that statement and the look Glenn gave as he was saying that wasn't a happy one. Fast forward now. I didn't know people were throwing firecrackers on stage. Now that statement makes sense and why he said that. Go Joe!!

But I still laugh at that statement when I watch HOTE.

One of these days, I'm going to buy the HOTE DVD.

Midnight Visitor
01-27-2014, 06:09 PM
The statement is brilliant. I always thought Glenn looked amused by it but maybe I'm not reading him correctly. All the Joe moments on that disc are classic. From the stare into the camera to the sideways look while he's playing keyboard. The only thing I don't like about that disc is that it's only 1/2 the concert. I'm greedy. I want it all!

deb828
01-27-2014, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I had wondered what Joe meant!

GlennLover
01-27-2014, 07:30 PM
The statement is brilliant. I always thought Glenn looked amused by it but maybe I'm not reading him correctly. All the Joe moments on that disc are classic. From the stare into the camera to the sideways look while he's playing keyboard. The only thing I don't like about that disc is that it's only 1/2 the concert. I'm greedy. I want it all!

I think Glenn was a bit amused too.

Brooke
01-28-2014, 10:19 AM
Take It Easy - Okay, here's where I'm going to cheat a little bit because I love everything about it. This is one of the most inspired, energic, and fun performances I've ever seen from this band. The band is truly in its prime at this time, and this performance epitomizes that - the way the synergy between the band and the audience is captured here is simply incredible.

This is my favorite part too! It's just plain awesome! I'm up dancing during the whole song and pretending I'm there! :yay:

Ive always been a dreamer
01-29-2014, 01:28 PM
He's thanking Joe because there were so many assholes at concerts in the 70's throwing firecrackers on stage. I wouldn't be surprised if someone threw one before that speech is made. We won't know unless we get to see the whole concert some time.

I remember hearing about one drummer (don't remember who) that was hit by an M80 during a concert! It really is a public service announcement even if it was a smart ass one.

Wow MV! Thanks for the info. How in the heck did I miss this? In all these years, I was never aware of people throwing firecrackers on stage in the 70's. I wasn't able to go to concerts in those days, but you think I would've still known about this. Oh well - I guess it gives a new meaning to "if you remember the 70's, you weren't there. :grin:

So I see now why Glenn thanks Joe for his PSA - although it still cracks me up.

sodascouts
01-29-2014, 01:31 PM
New info for me, too. I just thought it was typical Joe random humor and Glenn playing along with the mock-serious "thank you, Joe." Learn something new every day!

Brooke
01-29-2014, 02:11 PM
I didn't know about the fire crackers either, but I never got to go to any concerts back then except the 76 Eagles one in St. Louis. And I was so far away I wouldn't have known about it anyways! :roll:

Midnight Visitor
01-29-2014, 02:32 PM
As far as I know the first incident of an audience member throwing a firecracker at a rock star on stage was 1966. After Lennon made his "we're bigger then Christ" statement they did a US tour. When they played Memphis a kid in the audience threw a firecracker onstage.

Security getting into a concert was non-existent in the 70's. People could still bring in their own beer bottles, etc. Firework throwing was still going on when I started attending concerts in the early 80's. Tho, security got tighter and tighter from that point on. Thank God, it doesn't happen any more.

Shadowland07
01-30-2014, 02:12 PM
I like that you can hear Felder sing towards the end of "New Kid in Town," you can pick his voice out.

NYC Fan
01-31-2014, 10:03 AM
MV-

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that's probably what Joe's speech was about, but it is definitely out if context in the video. There was an infamous Springsteen show in Cleveland in the late 70's where some moron threw one that hit him just below the eye and it exploded seconds later. He actually got a cut on his face from it. I never witnessed this type of stuff, but what were people thinking????

I'm sure Joe must have just missed getting hit and tried to deflect the situation with humor.

So many great moments in this concert. Must re-watch it!

Delilah
04-30-2017, 10:14 PM
Apologies if this has been done before, but I saw it done for F1 and although there's not much to go at I still have a few moments on this DVD I really like:

- Glenn's enormous smile and the audience's cheer when Randy pulls off the long note during the above song
- Felder's solo during OOTN, the more I hear it the more I think it's one of the best an Eagle ever did

Anyone else?

I'm reviving this thread since today is the 4th anniversary of the DVD/Blu-Ray release. I watched part of the documentary on CNN, but it wasn't until I bought the DVD that I watched it in its entirety, as well as the entire concert uninterrupted. I am very grateful there was a DVD release at all, given the band's history of releasing concert footage.

I agree with lastresort's favorite moments. I would also add that I love Don H's expressions when he sings "Best of My Love" and the audience applause after Don F plays the pedal steel part. I also love hearing the audience applaud after the beautiful harmony about 4 minutes in when they sing the words the best of myyy looove. Overall the performance of this song is lovely with them all in front performing.

New Kid In Town
05-01-2017, 07:38 AM
Delilah - I could not agree more. I love watching that concert.
As a side note, I have to say I was at many a concert in the 70's and very early 80's where people threw fireworks. Once one almost hit myself and the friends I was with. I do not remember any kind of security back then. Kind of crazy when you think about it know.

Dawn
05-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Glennn Frey at "his goddamn coolest" as one commenter posted.

New Kid in Town Live 1977

Love and miss you forever Glenn! You were and still are amazing!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IR_Ii0hXLEk

Full concert for those who haven't seen it or just want to see it again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4p-sKfkwkSw

Delilah
05-01-2017, 12:50 PM
I can't imagine what people were thinking popping firecrackers at concerts.

Bringing up Glenn reminds me of another favorite moment--when he points at someone in the audience towards the end of "Take It Easy." :)

Scarlet Sun
05-01-2017, 03:06 PM
One thing I don't like about it is the modern-style editing. Too much cutting. But that's OT

Vector
05-01-2017, 04:02 PM

Anyone else?

They are all great, but the TITTL has some much in it.

For starters, it is the best version I've heard of the song, including the studio version.
Meisner delivers a perfect performance.

In regards to Walsh, his energy & facial expressions are all great. He knows (as does everyone else) a couple of the high notes will be coming and he is anticipating them.
Regarding Frey, his attention to playing the keys, yet looking up to see his fellow band mates. Of course when Meisner hits those high notes, his expression is great.
With Felder, he has several smiles/expressions, but at the end after Meisner thanks the crowd, he looks over at Meisner with a big smile on his face and Felder gives him the fingers indicating V for victory. Then Meisner humbly bows his head and returns the kind gesture.
Of course the pleasure Meisner has on his face after hitting those notes, and as he thanks the audience for their appreciative energy.

Another song is OOTN with Henley hitting some high notes himself, and of course Felder's guitar playing.

Then there is NKIT where everyone is singing in perfect harmony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN7A56tgQgw&lc=z13kx3wb1xvfyxnt322jytfyxpe2ythse.1492903492045 036

Frey does a great job with an incredible amount of feeling, and Henley with his backing vocals. Walsh is doing his eyebrow thing having a bunch of fun. Felder is having fun with his playing even though it is not a challenging riff by shaking his head from side to side. Walsh is into the keys. There is also Meisner and Felder on either side of Frey singing perfect harmonic vocals to Frey's lead.

That live concert is one of the best performances of the Eagles, bar none. The fans received a special treat that evening.

`

Scarlet Sun
05-01-2017, 04:26 PM
Then there is NKIT where everyone is singing in perfect harmony.
I don't want to be cynical but I wonder how much fixing there was, if any.

NightMistBlue
05-01-2017, 04:39 PM
"Best of My Love" has wondrous harmony singing.

Delilah
05-01-2017, 05:23 PM
They are all great, but the TITTL has some much in it.

For starters, it is the best version I've heard of the song, including the studio version.
Meisner delivers a perfect performance.

With Felder, he has several smiles/expressions, but at the end after Meisner thanks the crowd, he looks over at Meisner with a big smile on his face and Felder gives him the fingers indicating V for victory. Then Meisner humbly bows his head and returns the kind gesture.
Of course the pleasure Meisner has on his face after hitting those notes, and as he thanks the audience for their appreciative energy.
`

I wrote this in another thread but I believe what Don F is doing is waving to the lighting guy to put the spotlight on Randy. Randy lightheartedly wags his finger at Don, b/c Don knows Randy doesn't like the spotlight.

Probably some enhancement was done, is my guess.

FreyFollower
05-01-2017, 05:36 PM
I love this concert so much, and like others have said, I want the WHOLE thing! The harmonies and overall fun everyone seems to be having, smiling and moving to the music is what makes it so enjoyable to me. Everyone was so darn good!
I will say when I watch it after it has been awhile, it always strikes me how young they all look! I was the age of the kids in the audience at the time-- it makes me nostalgic. Now that we have lost Glenn, others have had health issues, and all are around 70; the show tears me up sometimes, too.

Vector
05-01-2017, 06:07 PM

I am not sure I follow you.
Are you suggesting the vocals were dubbed, or that over-tracks were laid in for the purpose of the filming they were doing?

I'd be surprised because I've seen a few performances live myself, and marveled at how in sync everyone was, and how their live performances were so tight.
People can fault Frey/Henley for some legitimate stuff, but their insistence on everyone giving the best performance possible is what helped make them so popular in concert.

The last time I saw them live was during the HFO tour, and they played the music from several of their individual hits as if they had played them their entire careers.
Undoubtedly, a lot a practice went into those performances before they went on tour, Sitting in an open air arena, there was no way they were lip syncing or dubbing in music. Also back then, the tech like autotune was not even invented yet.

So please stipulate what you mean by your comment.

Vector
05-01-2017, 06:12 PM
I wrote this in another thread but I believe what Don F is doing is waving to the lighting guy to put the spotlight on Randy. Randy lightheartedly wags his finger at Don, b/c Don knows Randy doesn't like the spotlight.

Probably some enhancement was done, is my guess.

Actually I got that take on the V for victory sign from another video that had 5+ million views (since taken down) and the uploader of the song said Felder was giving Meisner the victory sign. Others in the comments said the same thing.
So while you could be right, why would Felder do that after Meisner's signature song was done, and they were getting ready for the next one?

Scarlet Sun
05-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Are you suggesting the vocals were dubbed
Yes, possibly to fix bad notes here and there. Watch Houston and Seattle from the year before. Szymczyk said only 75% of the Live was actually "live."

Delilah
05-01-2017, 07:05 PM
Actually I got that take on the V for victory sign from another video that had 5+ million views (since taken down) and the uploader of the song said Felder was giving Meisner the victory sign. Others in the comments said the same thing.
So while you could be right, why would Felder do that after Meisner's signature song was done, and they were getting ready for the next one?

People who upload videos are fans just like the rest of us; generally, they don't have any specialized insider knowledge. I've seen videos uploaded with wrong song titles and pictures. As far as the commenters, some of the most preposterous statements I've ever read have been in the YT comments section. Anyway, this is just my take on what is happening between Don and Randy. I don't see either one holding up a "V"; others may disagree.

I'm not sure why it's so surprising the spotlight would be on a singer who just gave an incredible performance with the audience still giving thunderous applause (which may not be obvious due to editing the sound but based on accounts of other concerts, was a pretty standard reaction).

Dawn
05-02-2017, 01:32 AM
I love this concert so much, and like others have said, I want the WHOLE thing! The harmonies and overall fun everyone seems to be having, smiling and moving to the music is what makes it so enjoyable to me. Everyone was so darn good!
I will say when I watch it after it has been awhile, it always strikes me how young they all look! I was the age of the kids in the audience at the time-- it makes me nostalgic. Now that we have lost Glenn, others have had health issues, and all are around 70; the show tears me up sometimes, too.

Hi FF,

I know what you mean, I had the same feeling bittersweet to be sure.

Delilah
05-02-2017, 03:41 PM
Yes, possibly to fix bad notes here and there. Watch Houston and Seattle from the year before. Szymczyk said only 75% of the Live was actually "live."

I don't know about vocal overdubs. The band knew the D.C. concert was going to be video recorded for a documentary so they probably were especially mindful of performing well, more so than at the Houston or Seattle concerts (hence, the nice shirts worn by Randy and Don H). Plus, they got two shots by filming two different nights. Since the documentary idea was abandoned afterwards, they may not have bothered with vocal overdubs but who knows.

By enhancement, I meant the sound of the music may have been tweaked using modern technology the way old albums are re-mastered for new release.

Scarlet Sun
05-02-2017, 04:29 PM
Plus, they got two shots by filming two different nights.
Yeah, if they got two different recordings that may have been enough

chaim
05-07-2017, 12:06 PM
It's entirely possible that something was fixed later in the studio. Everyone does that. Human beings make mistakes and it doesn't make them bad at what they do. The mistake may be a really small one and nobody pays attention during the concert, but you don't want to hear it over and over again on the record or video - at least that's what the artists and/or their producers think. Whether something was fixed here and there or not, the Eagles were an amazing live band. Also, if something was "fixed", it could have been an instrument. Don and Glenn were the main singers who played at the same time - and not "virtuoso" players to begin with like the other guys although still very good - so it's totally understandable if there were inaccuracies here and there they chose to fix. Not saying that they did.

Anyway, my favorite moment is probably the "Randy/Glenn moment" in TITTL.

UndertheWire
05-07-2017, 03:13 PM
What was your role when it came to the music?
GF: We've been basically remixing our career for 5.1 (surround sound) for the last few months. That was another interesting process for us, to unearth and go back and listen to the original 16 or 24 tracks of our early albums and go through and listen to some of our albums because maybe we hadn't listened to them for awhile. We feel this is going to be one of the best sounding films of its kind.
http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/tv-film/1516391/exclusive-qa-don-henley-and-glenn-frey-on-history-of-the-eagles

Were any of the Capital Center performances available before the HotE DVD release?

As the recordings were remixed, there would have been the potential to fix them.

However, I've been listening to a bootleg from 1980 and, to me, they sound as good on that as on the Eagles Live album.

thelastresort
05-17-2017, 08:13 AM
There must be some sort of duplication of filming or later editing: in the documentary itself, the footage of Joe singing the opening lines to Rocky Mountain Way has him sing the studio version lines. In the concert footage, he sings 'Washington, DC way'...

armus2112
05-25-2017, 02:38 AM
If you want some strange mystery, check this out:

Here are 3 different audio recordings of Hotel California from the 1977 Capitol Centre, here I have proof. Sorry had to find 2 of these at dailymotion since since they have since been removed from youtube.

1- you know this one -- from the History of the Eagles 2013 DVD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R80Q_FQGKj4

2- this one which predates HotE is similar however DIFFERENT from #1. Both Don's vocals and guitar solos differ. The tempo is almost exactly the same as #1. Don's vocals are EXTREMELY similar to #1 but I definitely found several obvious vocal differences.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14hqs_the-eagles-hotel-california-1976-li_music

3- this one also predates HotE with a faster tempo, again with different vocals + guitar solos.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vmgw7_eagles-hotel-california-live_music

EDIT: This is the alternate video from '77 and the live recording from 'Eagles live' from 1980. O-K.

#2 and #3 share the same video footage, different from #1. Even at diff. tempos. wow.

Listen to Felder's start of the solo -- each solo is distinct!

What is going on here?

First of all, it is weird to me that #2 and #3 were available before 2013's HotE DVD. Then suddenly in 2013 we get the alternate take on the DVD.

I can only speculate..

- maybe they are all separate live recordings from '77
- maybe they are 2 distinct live recordings, with studio alterations made after the fact
- what else?

yikes, too much over analysis LOL

UndertheWire
05-25-2017, 06:34 AM
For the visuals, it's obvious there were multiple cameras and therefore the images from different cameras could be edited together in different ways.

For the audio, my guess is that there were recordings from the sound check and possibly other shows. We've heard that for studio recordings there was a lot of splicing together different takes, so it's not impossible that the same thing happened here.

I don't think they would have gone as far as to record new vocals now as Henley's voice has changed.

New Kid In Town
05-25-2017, 07:43 AM
They played two night at the Capital Center and filmed both night. That might explain the slight differences. Also, right before the Capital shows they did a show at MSG. :headscratch:

Delilah
05-25-2017, 12:06 PM
If you want some strange mystery, check this out:

Here are 3 different audio recordings of Hotel California from the 1977 Capitol Centre, here I have proof. Sorry had to find 2 of these at dailymotion since since they have since been removed from youtube.

1- you know this one -- from the History of the Eagles 2013 DVD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R80Q_FQGKj4

2- this one which predates HotE is similar however DIFFERENT from #1. Both Don's vocals and guitar solos differ. The tempo is almost exactly the same as #1. Don's vocals are EXTREMELY similar to #1 but I definitely found several obvious vocal differences.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14hqs_the-eagles-hotel-california-1976-li_music

3- this one also predates HotE with a faster tempo, again with different vocals + guitar solos.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vmgw7_eagles-hotel-california-live_music

#2 and #3 share the same video footage, different from #1. Even at diff. tempos. wow.

Listen to Felder's start of the solo -- each solo is distinct!

What is going on here?

First of all, it is weird to me that #2 and #3 were available before 2013's HotE DVD. Then suddenly in 2013 we get the alternate take on the DVD.

I can only speculate..

- maybe they are all separate live recordings from '77
- maybe they are 2 distinct live recordings, with studio alterations made after the fact
- what else?

yikes, too much over analysis LOL

Was #2 the version shown on MTV during the 80s? #3 looks like a pirated copy of #2 with a different audio used. The guitars and finger movements don't always match up, esp. the bass. I question whether any of that audio came from the Capital Centre concert.

Funk 50
05-25-2017, 12:48 PM
The wonderful thing about digital recording is that you can make infinite identical copies.

Back in the days of analog (BBC's first digitally recorded concert was Genesis Wembley 1987), only the master tape would be pristine quality, copies wouldn't sound as good as the original and would also pick up glitches and errors, sometimes even ending up playing at the wrong speed too.

Bill Szymzyck said the first CD version of The Eagles self-titled first LP were half a tone slower than they should have been!

I don't know how many copies would have been sent out as promotional videos around the world but they'd all be slightly different and once they are in the public domain, their is nothing to stop individuals doctoring the recordings in any way they chose.

I'm sure the band would have kept hold of the original master tapes but overtime, depending on how well they are stored, even the quality of the original masters would degrade.

I'm sure the band made the recordings as close to perfect as they possibly could before committing to releasing them as a permanent digital document of the concert. :)

commendable, I'd say. :thumbsup:

armus2112
05-25-2017, 10:51 PM
OK duh, I figured it out. The #3 track is the alternate video from '77 and the audio from 'Eagles Live' 1980.

sorry for the drama and confusion! :brickwall:

Funk 50
05-26-2017, 03:44 AM
You should never apologise for contributing armus2112. I love chatting about the Eagles :)