PDA

View Full Version : EAGLES AT NATIONWIDE ARENA, COLUMBUS, OHIO 3/5/14

deb828
03-06-2014, 02:15 PM
This was my first Eagles concert, and it was magnificent! The guys still seemed a little ill, but it was only evident in their speaking voices--their singing voices were awesome! They gave 100% at this concert! I loved the second half, when they seemed to really kick into gear. And finally, there was a center screen visible from our seats, which were in the second row about midway from the stage (in the first half, there were only 2 tiny screens in the corners, which were behind us). I took my 17 year old with me, and he really started to enjoy the concert in the second half; he was laughing so hard at Joe's antics, especially the hatcam. Don was free of the goatee, which I loved. We had a great view of the stage, and they looked fantastic. Someone in the front row said something to Don when he was out front, and he said something like, "my dear, we hardly know each other..." Glenn told the plaintiff joke, which the audience loved, also some jokes about Detroit which were funnier. I thought the videos they played were entertaining, but I just wanted to look at them!

The only down side was that the audience would NOT get up on my side of the arena. Even at the end, they were stubbornly glued to their seats. I am very conscious of bothering other people, but I was just itching to stand up and MOVE! Finally, in the last 5 songs (except Desperado), I had to do it. It was starting to interfere seriously with my enjoyment of the concert. If they ever tour here again, I would go in a heartbeat, but I would have to sit in a seat where I could stand up in the second half!

I got to meet Cheryl from this board, and that was a great treat. Everyone on this board is so nice! I appreciate that she walked all the way around to arena to meet us--and snuck in a photo!

Brooke
03-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Thanks for your review Deb! First time? Another Eagle virgin bites the dust! Glad you had such a good time, but wish your crowd would have been more in to it so you could dance along! I guess there were also a lot of people that hadn't heard the credit card joke! Surprising since it's been around for a long time! Right Miss Soda? :lol:

Witchy Woman
03-06-2014, 02:43 PM
How awesome you got to see your first Eagles concert !! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I wonder if the woman in front had the cojones to proposition our handsome Mr. Henley !! Lol !!

deb828
03-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks for your review Deb! First time? Another Eagle virgin bites the dust! Glad you had such a good time, but wish your crowd would have been more in to it so you could dance along! I guess there were also a lot of people that hadn't heard the credit card joke! Surprising since it's been around for a long time! Right Miss Soda? :lol:LOL--love that--guess you can never experience the first time again, right? Love those guys!:band:

deb828
03-06-2014, 03:16 PM
How awesome you got to see your first Eagles concert !! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I wonder if the woman in front had the cojones to proposition our handsome Mr. Henley !! Lol !!I think so! I hope someone from the front row posts that one!:lol:

Victim of Love
03-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Thanks for your comments, Deb...have been itching all morning to hear some news and have yet to find anything in the Columbus papers online. Nothing can compare to seeing our boys live and the first experience tends to set the wheels in motion. Congratulations on the loss of your Eagles virginity!

deb828
03-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Just found it--http://workplace.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2014/03/06/still-flying-high-after-all-these-years.html

MaryCalifornia
03-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Thanks, Deb!

So now what are we supposed to talk about for the next 2 1/2 months??!! So sad...such PEW.

deb828
03-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Thanks, Deb!

So now what are we supposed to talk about for the next 2 1/2 months??!! So sad...such PEW.
I hear ya--so sad it is over!!

UndertheWire
03-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Review: http://thelantern.com/2014/03/review-eagles-land-columbus-find-fountain-youth/

MC, for the next couple of months we can talk about how awesome they'll be when they get to Europe.

MaryCalifornia
03-06-2014, 04:00 PM
The excitement of our Ireland/UK/Europe brothers and sisters as their shows get closer will sustain us, for sure!

deb828
03-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Review: http://thelantern.com/2014/03/review-eagles-land-columbus-find-fountain-youth/

MC, for the next couple of months we can talk about how awesome they'll be when they get to Europe.
I like this review better than the Dispatch one above!

bluefeather
03-06-2014, 04:26 PM
this is a nice review, admiring but not overly so and no particular bias towards any one bandmember:thumbsup:

Zanny Kingston
03-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Hi all
I have been traveling for days now and had to reset my password I was kingston
Who posted here since the fall and ended up just changing my user name as well
I was at this show 4th row floor on Timothy's side all I can say panties and declarations of love really made this a memorable experience!
So here we go --the guys looked and sounded great Glenn was still struggling with cold issues. They had boxes of tissues, bottles of water, lemons and what looked like throat spray all over the stage.
Despite that they sounded fabulous from the first moment hubby and i saw Don step out on the stage he had this look and and you could tell he was ready to go.
So the show starts and don introduces Bernie and comments he is wearing the same shirt he had on 38 years ago.
So then don continues and says if you find a good shirt you stick with it. Bernie says yeah don I learned that from you!!
Next up Glenn he says hello etc they sing train leaves here and the song ends Glenn is sitting there. With no guitar. He quips , we'll victor gave me cold medicine and forgot my guitar!,
So victor comes back with the guitar and Glenn was like hey thanks victor!
I saw this show last July show number six on this tour and it was like seeing a totally different show altogether. D
The witchy woman re arrangement was awesome.
The show was being filmed, three guys lying on the stage, crouching and some other equipment was scattered around d is I do think a DVD is in the works.
Security. They were very nice. They told us no texting but we could photo with no flash as long as it was not constant or obvious and no filming with the smartphones.
So back to Don, he looked super hot. He had this in charge look going on and boy it worked, his hair is taking on a much better style and he had stubble which was a much better look
I am skipping a few things here but, a woman in the first row yelled I love you don and that was when.He said honey. You don't even know me.
So then. He sang the long run and did the great intro about how it's a miracle they are all together at this point when a pair of magenta panties, hit right by the very front of the stage. Wow. Don also killed it on lift land joe and Glenn did this unbelievable guitar dueling during funk 49 and then joe took off during in the city . Timothy was like this cute little guy who just got the crowd going
And kept touching Scott Crago I think to tease him I thought it was cute.
So Timothy got to introduce Glenn and described him as a man of a thousand jokes !!
Glenn introduced don as his long time friend - I thought that was awesome.
I have to say it was just a great show I have more stuff on the whole experience but I am totally challenged with typing on an iPad so I apologize for the condition of the post I just couldn't wait to share

More observations to come

Bigeasyleroy
03-06-2014, 11:03 PM
My second Eagles show, first was 2009 here in Columbus, but at the Schott -- this was at Nationwide. The guys were great...obviously not feeling well, especially Glenn. You gotta hand it to them for being such professionals, they gave 110%. Loved the setlist, too. Starting with songs that are almost magical now to many of us in the early 50's age range, songs that we remember with such sweet innocence. It seems almost possible to recapture that youth and innocence. Anyway, it's nice to spend a few hours trying...

Now for a couple of "negatives", which I'm very curious to see if anyone else echoes. I was very happy when I heard the show was going to be at Nationwide this time, because I like that venue better from an aesthetic standpoint. We had great seats: Section 102, Row C. So 3 rows back from the floor, first section on the (Steuart Smith) side. So visually, it was fantastic. But...I don't know how else to say this: I thought for parts of the show, the sound sucked! Especially on the acoustic portion at the very beginning; it did seem to get better toward the middle-end, which may reflect more on the instrumentation (electric v acoustic). But at the beginning, the high-end on the voices made them sound so tinny, I could hardly believe it. It almost ruined the first part of the show for me -- the part I was looking forward to the most. Two observations: This may reflect the "good" seats we were in. I figure the sound must be mixed to be optimal to the guys at the sound board, in the back of arena floor. My guess is that it's as near-perfect as can be there, and everyone else gets the plus or minus based on their proximity to that location. A friend tells me that it is extremely difficult to mix sound in a building like that, because they're mainly just big boxes to hold lots of people, not built with acoustics foremost in mind. I figure that's probably true, and likely holds in this case. A band the stature of The Eagles is no doubt going to have the best. Second observation: It appeared to me they were using the "house" sound system, which I've seen done several times -- maybe most bands do that now. I didn't see any of the old "Marshall Stacks" like you used to see, and maybe that's passé now. BUT, I'd have to ask -- while it was plenty loud, does a sound system like that allow the professionals to mix the way they would like to, to achieve a sound they're happy with? Or do they just work with what they get? Anyone more knowledgeable on this topic, I would love to hear from.

Second negative: Obnoxious neighbors! Is it just my wife and me -- our luck? Or does everyone experience this because these folks are sprinkled randomly throughout the whole crowd? I'm not talking about people who approach a concert differently than I do (I love to sit, listen intently, observe, let the music wash over me....I know other people consider it more of a social event and like to talk and laugh, etc.). Even the guy next to us who had to get up and go to the bathroom a couple of times ("can't hold it like I used to!") -- that's OK, we didn't mind -- he seemed like an OK sort, was generally polite, may have intruded on personal space a bit when dancing on a couple of songs -- that's OK, too, we didn't care at all. But some of the folks behind us were unbelievable. (While Henley is talking about Randy Meisner): "Yap, yap, yap, yap, yap.......what'd he say? I missed it!" Well, yeah, you missed it because you were running your mouth non-stop. "Yap, yap, yap, yap, yap...Oh, my God! Oh, my God! Oh, my God!!!" "Do you love this song? I LOVE this song!!" "Yap, yap, yap..." At this point, I have to ask: Why did you spend $200 a ticket to sit there and run your trap all night? And why do the rest of us have to listen to your nonsense? I missed several things the band said because of this obnoxious yapping. Needless to say, alcohol intensified the effect. Best line of the night: Henley says, "We recorded this song in Miami in 1978..." Guy behind immediately yells out: "Hotel California!" That was one of many...but it never seemed to occur that he got many of them wrong, he continued to call them out with confidence.

Just curious about these two things. Doesn't change the fact it was a great show!!

sodascouts
03-06-2014, 11:19 PM
Love these reviews!

Leroy - sorry about those lame people near you. Obnoxious folks are at every show, sadly! A pity about the sound - glad it improved.

Houston Baby
03-06-2014, 11:54 PM
GREAT reviews everyone! I love the different perspectives of the concert but of course the one constant is they were AMAZING! I'm so happy everyone had a fabulous time except for the yapping neighbors. I have had that happen a couple of times Leroy. I just can't believe that people can be so insensitive not just to the people around them but to the entertainer. :mad: Oh well.

rick endres
03-07-2014, 12:00 AM
So...my favorite Glenn joke Monday night in Cincinnati was, "Detroit, the city that gave us Ted Nugent...and won't take him back."

Loved it.

Did he use that one?

Bigeasyleroy
03-07-2014, 12:18 AM
So...my favorite Glenn joke Monday night in Cincinnati was, "Detroit, the city that gave us Ted Nugent...and won't take him back."

Loved it.

Did he use that one?

Yes, indeed.

Houston Baby
03-07-2014, 12:38 AM
I believe he has used that joke at every stop on this tour. Before the Houston show I wondered if he would use it & sure enough he did NOT! :lol:

cheryl
03-07-2014, 03:23 AM
I am finally home. IU basketball game on Sunday, Eagles on Monday and Wednesday. I will try to get my review done in the next day or so. I also had 6 annoying people in front of me. I happened to be in section 102 but I was in row J. Details in my review. I am glad I got to meet Deb and her son before the show.

bluefeather
03-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Hi all
Timothy was like this cute little guy who just got the crowd going

Oh that's nice!:laugh::heart::heart:

and leroy, I understand 100% how you feel, I like to sit and listen too and those people sound annoying enough to smack:steviesmack:

TimFan222
03-07-2014, 10:23 AM
I saw where someone mentioned the red panties. I was front row center and on the left side someone threw a bra! It didn't quite make the stage but our security guy really had a giggle. This was my 12th show this tour. I was in Louisville for the first and Columbus for the last ( for now). All first row. I found that at the first show there were many sighs by the band after several songs as in wow we did it right! The shows got better and they became looser and seem to have more fun each time. Columbus was also the first time I saw ladies under things thrown.
At the second show in Vegas Timothy was putting things on Scottie's cymbals so that when he hit them it went up in the air. Really cute!
Shout out to Columbus. The crowd was far above both shows in Vegas. Folks finally stood up and danced late in second set. Out of 12 Columbus was one of top 5 crowds I have seen. We'll done

MaryCalifornia
03-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the fun reviews. TF222, you are my hero - 12 shows, all front row! I'm sorry, but the image of someone throwing lacy underthings at Don Henley is absolutely hilarious. And Timothy B. picking them up and placing them on the drum kit?? Love it.

bsktgrvy
03-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Hello! I'm new to the board and just saw my first Eagles concert in Columbus. I've always enjoyed the Eagles but I am a big Dan Fogelberg fan.

I actually live near Cincinnati and always passed up opportunities to see the Eagles there, including the concert there on Monday. I started thinking I would really love to see the Eagles once so my wife and I went ahead and got tickets then drove up on Wednesday for the concert. And I'm glad we did.

I'll add a few comments. I thought the sound was very good for such a large arena. I'm used to a smaller venue such as the outdoor Riverbend Music Center in Cincinnati. Our seats were in the upper deck on Timothy's side of the arena. We had a decent view of the stage and a great view of the large screen to the left of the stage.

I liked how historical trivia was included and how the show flowed chronologically (for the most part).

I too had someone a little out of control sitting next to me (yelling "yeah" and "yeah baby" constantly). I suspect he had just a tad too much beer. :cheers:

Seems like that always happens to us as well.

I was a bit surprised at how the overall crowd was subdued, but I prefer it that way.

I enjoyed the older, more acoustic songs more, although it's always good to hear Joe Walsh rock.

I thought Glenn's voice was very good. I thought Don Henley struggled a bit at times but overall did a very good job.

I'm so glad we decided to go - it was worth getting back home at 1:30 in the morning. I just wish I had gone to more of their concerts sooner.

TimFan222
03-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Clarification. Timothy was putting scrunched paper and such. No ladies things.
Sorry if I misled you. But that would be even funnier!!

DivineDon
03-07-2014, 01:34 PM
:headscratch:
Hi all
So back to Don, he looked super hot. He had this in charge look going on and boy it worked, his hair is taking on a much better style and he had stubble which was a much better look
I am skipping a few things here but, a woman in the first row yelled I love you don and that was when.He said honey. You don't even know me.
So then. He sang the long run and did the great intro about how it's a miracle they are all together at this point when a pair of magenta panties, hit right by the very front of the stage. Wow.

I had to pick out this part. My blood pressure rose very dangerously reading this! Don looking super hot :faint:I'm usually quite conservative but I can see myself replicating that woman when they perform in Ireland (don't know about the panties though - we call them knickers here, somehow that sounds more scandalous lol)

[/quote]
Glenn introduced don as his long time friend - I thought that was awesome.[/quote]

Love this bit too - it's so sweet.

Thanks for the review Zanny, it was really great and I can emphathise with Leroy's experience. I was at a Vince Gill concert last year and the two women behind me never stopped talking the whole way through Vince's intros. I was furious. Why go to the show if you want to gossip? :headscratch:

bluefeather
03-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Clarification. Timothy was putting scrunched paper and such. No ladies things.
Sorry if I misled you. But that would be even funnier!!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Brooke
03-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the reviews everyone! Really appreciate getting all of these! Everyone remembers different things so we get more ideas on how it all was.

I can also sympathize with the people talking all the time. Really, why do they spend the money for these tickets and then sit there and talk through the whole thing? They miss out on most of the show and so do their neighbors who would really like to hear it! Be respectful of others, people!

One thing I don't really understand is why are they so upset about people texting? It doesn't make noise. They aren't usually standing while doing it. Yes, they miss the show, but that's their problem! :shrug:

ETA: I've never seen undies thrown on stage at an Eagles show. I bet the guys, at their age, are quite enthralled with them! :lol:

rick endres
03-07-2014, 02:56 PM
This was my 12th show this tour. I was in Louisville for the first and Columbus for the last ( for now). All first row.

Twelfth show this tour. All front row.

Can I ask where you folks get your disposable income? I want to get in line - lol! :jealous: We agonized over dropping a modest $300 for three people for one show and in retrospect we don't regret a penny of it. It was phenomenal and we had a great time!

But front row, 12 times! Discounting the fact that those seats are almost impossible to get (and how did you do that - especially for 12 shows?), those have to cost a pretty penny. I am truly envious, TimFan222. You rock; more power to ya! You've got to be in Eagles heaven right about now...

Rick

deb828
03-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Hi all
I have been traveling for days now and had to reset my password I was kingston
Who posted here since the fall and ended up just changing my user name as well
I was at this show 4th row floor on Timothy's side all I can say panties and declarations of love really made this a memorable experience!
So here we go --the guys looked and sounded great Glenn was still struggling with cold issues. They had boxes of tissues, bottles of water, lemons and what looked like throat spray all over the stage.
Despite that they sounded fabulous from the first moment hubby and i saw Don step out on the stage he had this look and and you could tell he was ready to go.
So the show starts and don introduces Bernie and comments he is wearing the same shirt he had on 38 years ago.
So then don continues and says if you find a good shirt you stick with it. Bernie says yeah don I learned that from you!!
Next up Glenn he says hello etc they sing train leaves here and the song ends Glenn is sitting there. With no guitar. He quips , we'll victor gave me cold medicine and forgot my guitar!,
So victor comes back with the guitar and Glenn was like hey thanks victor!
I saw this show last July show number six on this tour and it was like seeing a totally different show altogether. D
The witchy woman re arrangement was awesome.
The show was being filmed, three guys lying on the stage, crouching and some other equipment was scattered around d is I do think a DVD is in the works.
Security. They were very nice. They told us no texting but we could photo with no flash as long as it was not constant or obvious and no filming with the smartphones.
So then. He sang the long run and did the great intro about how it's a miracle they are all together at this point when a pair of magenta panties, hit right by the very front of the stage. Wow. Don also killed it on lift land joe and Glenn did this unbelievable guitar dueling during funk 49 and then joe took off during in the city . Timothy was like this cute little guy who just got the crowd going
So Timothy got to introduce Glenn and described him as a man of a thousand jokes !!
Glenn introduced don as his long time friend - I thought that was awesome.
I have to say it was just a great show I have more stuff on the whole experience but I am totally challenged with typing on an iPad so I apologize for the condition of the post I just couldn't wait to share

More observations to comeThanks for posting what the woman said to Don. We did not see any of the panty/bra action from section 114!

Enjoyed reading all of the reviews. It is so interesting what one person will remember vs another, and the experience is different depending on where you are sitting, and especially who is sitting around you :(

VAisForEagleLovers
03-07-2014, 07:30 PM
One thing I don't really understand is why are they so upset about people texting? It doesn't make noise. They aren't usually standing while doing it. Yes, they miss the show, but that's their problem! :shrug:

It is VERY distracting, at least I think so. The lady next to me at Cincy was 'Facebooking' and she was across a narrow aisle and I found it distracting. Besides the light of her phone, the thing flickered and threw odd shadows. There were times I could hear her nails on the screen and a lot of sighes and even a giggle or two. It wasn't too bad, but there were times it would catch a person's eye and so I'd find myself glancing over at the phone instead of watching the stage.

TimFan222, 12 shows, wow! I thought I was overdoing it with 10! I was in the front row for quite a few shows, and in VIP seats for nearly all the shows. We've probably seen each other at a show or two!

WalshFan88
03-07-2014, 07:54 PM
It is VERY distracting, at least I think so. The lady next to me at Cincy was 'Facebooking' and she was across a narrow aisle and I found it distracting. Besides the light of her phone, the thing flickered and threw odd shadows. There were times I could hear her nails on the screen and a lot of sighes and even a giggle or two. It wasn't too bad, but there were times it would catch a person's eye and so I'd find myself glancing over at the phone instead of watching the stage.

I understand that. But when the house lights are up and the band isn't anywhere near the stage, I have a problem with it. In STL, the show was several minutes away, all lights on and people weren't even seated and people were chewed out. Seriously! I can understand the lights thing during the show but before the band comes on, or during intermission is a different thing altogether.

NYC Fan
03-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Thanks all for the reviews! Sounds like a great show and that you all had a fun time.

Totally get the frustration with the yappers. I saw Sting and Paul Simon at MSG last night and the people around us yapped through the whole show. It was especially grating during The Boxer and They Dance Alone. Ugh. I don't get spending all that money to do that.

Glad it didn't ruin the show for you though!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-07-2014, 08:11 PM
I understand that. But when the house lights are up and the band isn't anywhere near the stage, I have a problem with it. In STL, the show was several minutes away, all lights on and people weren't even seated and people were chewed out. Seriously! I can understand the lights thing during the show but before the band comes on, or during intermission is a different thing altogether.

I totally agree...

VAisForEagleLovers
03-07-2014, 08:13 PM

I love this! Obviously, Don has found a 'good' shirt!

Victim of Love
03-07-2014, 11:51 PM

Hmmm...I wonder if Don has been lurking on The Border and reading our comments about his wardrobe?

WalshFan88
03-08-2014, 12:19 AM
I totally agree...

If it were more reasonable, I'd do my Facebook/email/text/picture stuff during intermission or before the show, and then focus on the show during the show. But they don't want you doing that even!

sodascouts
03-08-2014, 01:37 AM
Welcome, bsktgrvy! Thanks for the review!

The fact that underwear is getting thrown on stage is hilarious. I've seen it at Fleetwood Mac shows but never at Eagles shows. Too funny!

I've never understood why ladies do that, though. They're just gonna throw it away, and you've wasted a perfectly good pair of undies! It's not like it'll get you a date with them or something - these are married men (except for Bernie I guess).

Maybe they figure if they make you put the phone away early, they won't have as many people to yell at after the show starts! It's a preemptive strike.

I agree, but I think one reason the Eagles forbid texting during the show is that it allows them to tell the Black Shirts to crack down on any phone they see, making it more difficult for people to surreptitiously video with their phone under the pretense that they're just going to use it to text or check their email. Now the Black Shirts don't have to wait and see how long you're holding the phone up in the air in order to determine whether you're filming with it. They can just run over and threaten to throw you out if you don't PUT DOWN THAT PHONE RIGHT NOW BEEYOTCH!!!!!!

Plus, the fact that people visibly aren't paying attention just pisses 'em off.

As I've said before, I think it's out of control. I think our guys worry too much about trying to completely eradicate every instance of audience behavior that annoys them. They shouldn't sweat the small stuff so much. They get so worked up about things that aren't really big deals... life is too short for that, IMHO! But hey, my opinion on this issue isn't exactly sought after by the Eagles, lol.

This was my 12th show this tour. I was in Louisville for the first and Columbus for the last ( for now). All first row.
HOLY CRAP! That's freaking amazing! You are my hero!! :bow:

Keith
03-08-2014, 10:22 AM
So, I was in a small group of folks waiting for the doors to open for the VIP package, when I noticed a fellow wearing a shirt that read "I might be old, but I got to see all the good bands!". I remembered Don H. commenting on a shirt like that at the Oct. show in Nashville. He read the shirt for the crowd on stage and laughed. I asked the gentleman if he was at that show. Turns out that it was him. We had a laugh about that and I then met his lovely wife, who happens to be TimFan222 on this site. My wife was stuck at a conference in Myrtle Beach, so I was flying solo. I ended up hanging out with these two during the party and having a great time. Thanks B. and D., you are great folks!

I was really impressed with this venue. It's pleasing to the eye with a brick exterior, and access was smooth from all the nearby restaurants and hotels. If you ever end up in Columbus, check out the historic Flatiron bar & grill. It's walking distance from the arena and a neat experience.

The gods were very kind to me for the last few days. My wife and I were on row 11 in Raleigh, I was on row 5 in Cin., and I was front row for this show. I think working my way closer kept me from being completely blown away on the front row. I tried to live in the moment and fully enjoy the show, but it was still over way too soon! I was on Joe's side, 3 seats over from the center aisle. I was sitting right in front of Steuart, which for Hotel California alone was a lifetime experience. That 7 minute song seemed to be over in about 30 seconds!

It was fun being close enough to see interaction between the band members. Tim and Don seemed to be amused by, and discussed, a young lady in the 2nd or 3rd row, who repeatedly shouted her love for Joe, and waved her arms. It had to be distracting for him, almost to the point of being heckled. Glenn was not amused. He had already stated "I'm talking up here" when he was interrupted earlier. All he did was look at her and shake his head. As stated by others above, I did witness one pair of red panties land close to Joe.

I have learned with this tour that there is no such thing as a perfect seat, different seats are best to see different things. While on the 1st and 5th row of Joe's side, I couldn't see Don's face when he was on the drums, due to a cymbal. At this show I had one of the two best seats in the house for the Hotel California guitar duet, but could only see Don sing on the screen. Everything is a compromise. The cameraman also partly blocks your view for the first few songs, which happens to be my favorite part of the show. He did make nice by giving us folks behind him a pack of 5 guitar picks, one from every member + Bernie. Those are going in a shadow box with other souvenirs from this tour. I didn't miss much. I mainly had to lean forward or back depending on who was singing lead.

Now, after having had shows on the horizon since June, and now none, I've got to get some spring back in my step. The VIP host did stress that Columbus was not the end of the tour, but the end of one leg. Does this animal only have two legs, with the second being in Europe? Or, will there be later US dates. One fan expressed doubts about the tour ending in Europe. Hope springs!

TimFan222
03-08-2014, 10:29 AM
My husband and I are retired. We saved while working for 30 years. Kids all grown up and gone. After parents died needed a hobby. So I thought what a perfect way to spend some of the money saved. We have had sooooo much fun doing this. With VIP tickets we have met and friended so many people again being retired I can be on the computer when tickets go on sale. Yes I have been in Eagles heaven since July. Now will be in a funk until they tour here again. I wish everyone could experience what we have the past months. The guys recognize us now. I love it!

shunlvswx
03-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Keith. I hope there are more tours dates later. Maybe next year. The guys are still red hot. You don't have that many artists who have been in the business for 30 or 40 years and still selling out arenas these days. Why give up a good thing. If you're still having fun, why stop. The guys seem to still enjoy touring.

l'm still looking forward to my first Eagles show one day. I had so many opportunities(3 opportunities close to me), but I couldn't make it happen.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-08-2014, 11:51 AM
I have learned with this tour that there is no such thing as a perfect seat, different seats are best to see different things. While on the 1st and 5th row of Joe's side, I couldn't see Don's face when he was on the drums, due to a cymbal. At this show I had one of the two best seats in the house for the Hotel California guitar duet, but could only see Don sing on the screen. Everything is a compromise. The cameraman also partly blocks your view for the first few songs, which happens to be my favorite part of the show. He did make nice by giving us folks behind him a pack of 5 guitar picks, one from every member + Bernie. Those are going in a shadow box with other souvenirs from this tour. I didn't miss much. I mainly had to lean forward or back depending on who was singing lead.

Keith, it sounds like you had the same seat, more or less, that I did for the Raleigh show and I can tell you that while my view was nearly completely blocked for the first four songs or so, I never got any picks! The cameraman apologized ahead of time and that was about it. I was fine with it, I'd seen enough shows on this tour that I couldn't be too upset with it, and if I bent over at the waist and leaned sideways into the aisle I could see Don and part of Glenn. I felt bad for the lady beside me, though. She'd only seen them one other time and the front row seat was her treat to herself for getting through a nasty divorce. So, congrats on getting the picks out of the deal!

Obviously, I really hope they do more US dates. Don mentioned promoting his new album this fall, which I assume means a solo tour, but hopefully there will be some Eagles dates before they head elsewhere in the world. If nothing else, I'm sure the lure of MGM in Vegas will get them out and about for at least one show. I'm definitely suffering from severe PEW at the moment, and not feeling well on top of it makes it worse.

My friends all think I'm crazy for going to so many shows, especially when they are all the same. I've met so many people, here on the board and at the shows themselves, that travel from show to show, and it's nice to know that I'm not alone in this, and there are many people who understand my stance on this completely!

Keith
03-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Keith. I hope there are more tours dates later. Maybe next year. The guys are still red hot. You don't have that many artists who have been in the business for 30 or 40 years and still selling out arenas these days. Why give up a good thing. If you're still having fun, why stop. The guys seem to still enjoy touring.

l'm still looking forward to my first Eagles show one day. I had so many opportunities(3 opportunities close to me), but I couldn't make it happen.

I hope there are some more US dates and at least one works out for you. Although some seats are obviously better than others for seeing things with the naked eye, the huge projection screens make it a show worth watching for everyone. When they first hooked up with Azoff, they told him they needed to do some shows for Christmas money. Maybe that will happen again this year.:laugh:

Keith
03-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Keith, it sounds like you had the same seat, more or less, that I did for the Raleigh show and I can tell you that while my view was nearly completely blocked for the first four songs or so, I never got any picks! The cameraman apologized ahead of time and that was about it. I was fine with it, I'd seen enough shows on this tour that I couldn't be too upset with it, and if I bent over at the waist and leaned sideways into the aisle I could see Don and part of Glenn. I felt bad for the lady beside me, though. She'd only seen them one other time and the front row seat was her treat to herself for getting through a nasty divorce. So, congrats on getting the picks out of the deal!

Obviously, I really hope they do more US dates. Don mentioned promoting his new album this fall, which I assume means a solo tour, but hopefully there will be some Eagles dates before they head elsewhere in the world. If nothing else, I'm sure the lure of MGM in Vegas will get them out and about for at least one show. I'm definitely suffering from severe PEW at the moment, and not feeling well on top of it makes it worse.

My friends all think I'm crazy for going to so many shows, especially when they are all the same. I've met so many people, here on the board and at the shows themselves, that travel from show to show, and it's nice to know that I'm not alone in this, and there are many people who understand my stance on this completely!

If I were in the cameraman's shoes, I would always give out the picks, in hopes of smoothing out the situation. To a fan, those little pieces of plastic are worth hundreds of times what was paid for them originally.

A lady behind me said ,"Thank you Jesus!" when the cameraman finally moved. I laughed and she said, "You were thinking the same thing!" When he came back later, the lady next to me asked me to trip him! I guess the pick bribe didn't work as well for her as it did for me.

Thanks VK. A lot of your posts helped educate me in seat selection/purchase this tour. Hope you feel better and have many shows to come.:thumbsup:

Keith
03-08-2014, 02:29 PM
This was my first Eagles concert, and it was magnificent! The guys still seemed a little ill, but it was only evident in their speaking voices--their singing voices were awesome! They gave 100% at this concert! I loved the second half, when they seemed to really kick into gear. And finally, there was a center screen visible from our seats, which were in the second row about midway from the stage (in the first half, there were only 2 tiny screens in the corners, which were behind us). I took my 17 year old with me, and he really started to enjoy the concert in the second half; he was laughing so hard at Joe's antics, especially the hatcam. Don was free of the goatee, which I loved. We had a great view of the stage, and they looked fantastic. Someone in the front row said something to Don when he was out front, and he said something like, "my dear, we hardly know each other..." Glenn told the plaintiff joke, which the audience loved, also some jokes about Detroit which were funnier. I thought the videos they played were entertaining, but I just wanted to look at them!

The only down side was that the audience would NOT get up on my side of the arena. Even at the end, they were stubbornly glued to their seats. I am very conscious of bothering other people, but I was just itching to stand up and MOVE! Finally, in the last 5 songs (except Desperado), I had to do it. It was starting to interfere seriously with my enjoyment of the concert. If they ever tour here again, I would go in a heartbeat, but I would have to sit in a seat where I could stand up in the second half!

I got to meet Cheryl from this board, and that was a great treat. Everyone on this board is so nice! I appreciate that she walked all the way around to arena to meet us--and snuck in a photo!

Hi Deb. Glad you had a great time. You almost let me down with the Ohio weather, but you pulled through in the end! I hope they come your way again!

deb828
03-08-2014, 02:30 PM
So, I was in a small group of folks waiting for the doors to open for the VIP package, when I noticed a fellow wearing a shirt that read "I might be old, but I got to see all the good bands!". I remembered Don H. commenting on a shirt like that at the Oct. show in Nashville. He read the shirt for the crowd on stage and laughed. I asked the gentleman if he was at that show. Turns out that it was him. We had a laugh about that and I then met his lovely wife, who happens to be TimFan222 on this site. My wife was stuck at a conference in Myrtle Beach, so I was flying solo. I ended up hanging out with these two during the party and having a great time. Thanks B. and D., you are great folks!

I was really impressed with this venue. It's pleasing to the eye with a brick exterior, and access was smooth from all the nearby restaurants and hotels. If you ever end up in Columbus, check out the historic Flatiron bar & grill. It's walking distance from the arena and a neat experience.

The gods were very kind to me for the last few days. My wife and I were on row 11 in Raleigh, I was on row 5 in Cin., and I was front row for this show. I think working my way closer kept me from being completely blown away on the front row. I tried to live in the moment and fully enjoy the show, but it was still over way too soon! I was on Joe's side, 3 seats over from the center aisle. I was sitting right in front of Steuart, which for Hotel California alone was a lifetime experience. That 7 minute song seemed to be over in about 30 seconds!

It was fun being close enough to see interaction between the band members. Tim and Don seemed to be amused by, and discussed, a young lady in the 2nd or 3rd row, who repeatedly shouted her love for Joe, and waved her arms. It had to be distracting for him, almost to the point of being heckled. Glenn was not amused. He had already stated "I'm talking up here" when he was interrupted earlier. All he did was look at her and shake his head. As stated by others above, I did witness one pair of red panties land close to Joe.

Now, after having had shows on the horizon since June, and now none, I've got to get some spring back in my step. The VIP host did stress that Columbus was not the end of the tour, but the end of one leg. Does this animal only have two legs, with the second being in Europe? Or, will there be later US dates. One fan expressed doubts about the tour ending in Europe. Hope springs!Glad you made it, and we locals really did control the weather--lol. Great that you got to see the interaction between band members in the front row--bet your wife was jealous! Hope to do that one day--if they tour in Ohio again (fingers crossed). Agree with you the Eagles put on a great show, but it went by in a flash!
P.S. I think we posted these at the exact same time.

rick endres
03-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Sometimes it's hard to explain to people what the Eagles mean to people of a "certain age." To people my age (I'm 63), Eagles and James Taylor are like our generation's Sinatra - the best there is. We grew uo with them. Probably the same for 40s and 50s, too, and really cross generational. There was a family at the Cincinnati show - looked like grandparents, parents, and kids - who couldn't wait to get in. All chatting happily about the Eagles and the individual band members. Age range appeared to be from about 14 to 65, all of them fans.

That's why the Eagles have lasted so long, why they can still sell out 20,000+ venues. I'd venture to say they could still fill stadiums, although I'm not sure that would be as enjoyable as what I saw last Monday. Their music, their performances, are as polished and exciting as the day they first sat down together and said, "Let's start a band."

I truly hope this isn't their last hurrah...

deb828
03-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Sometimes it's hard to explain to people what the Eagles mean to people of a "certain age." To people my age (I'm 63), Eagles and James Taylor are like our generation's Sinatra - the best there is. We grew uo with them. Probably the same for 40s and 50s, too, and really cross generational. There was a family at the Cincinnati show - looked like grandparents, parents, and kids - who couldn't wait to get in. All chatting happily about the Eagles and the individual band members. Age range appeared to be from about 14 to 65, all of them fans.

That's why the Eagles have lasted so long, why they can still sell out 20,000+ venues. I'd venture to say they could still fill stadiums, although I'm not sure that would be as enjoyable as what I saw last Monday. Their music, their performances, are as polished and exciting as the day they first sat down together and said, "Let's start a band."

I truly hope this isn't their last hurrah...Agree with you Rick! Great summation of why the Eagles have lasted. I took my 17 year old to this concert, and he was almost as excited as me. He loved Joe and the hatcam probably the best--Joe's antics appeal to all :).

Henleyfan78
03-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Hi, I recently joined this site. My name is Caleb and I am 15 years old. I have seen 2 concerts.. both of which were the eagles. I recently saw them in Columbus Ohio. I had the time of my lie. The only thing I would have changed was the fact that they didn't play learn to be still.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Welcome, HF78! You picked a great band for your first concert experiences!

bluefeather
03-08-2014, 08:44 PM
welcome Henleyfan78 and congrats on your great start with the concert life:thumbsup::)

deb828
03-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Hi, I recently joined this site. My name is Caleb and I am 15 years old. I have seen 2 concerts.. both of which were the eagles. I recently saw them in Columbus Ohio. I had the time of my lie. The only thing I would have changed was the fact that they didn't play learn to be still.Welcome! I love that song, too!

TimFan222
03-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Keith. We had a great time withe you in Columbus. Was really funny you recognized my husbands shirt!! Great show as usual. Glad you got those picks too. Last show we got joe Walsh pick. Will do some kind of framing too not sure what yet. Hope to see you and your wife at a show soon Not soon enough for me. I am convinced they will do more shows. Never count these boys out. They are the greatest band of all time and they are not finished yet!!!

deb828
03-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Just found it--http://workplace.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2014/03/06/still-flying-high-after-all-these-years.html

Someone wrote an indignant letter to the editor today regarding the above review. While I did not experience a truly "rocking" packed house (due to my dull seat section), I really got a kick out of this letter. The Eagles gave a fantastic concert! Thought I would share the letter with you:http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2014/03/09/eagles-rocked-the-house-like-it-was-72.html

bluefeather
03-09-2014, 04:50 PM
the writer makes a good case and beautifully defends the fact that Eagles music is trans-generational:thumbsup:

Zanny Kingston
03-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Someone wrote an indignant letter to the editor today regarding the above review. While I did not experience a truly "rocking" packed house (due to my dull seat section), I really got a kick out of this letter. The Eagles gave a fantastic concert! Thought I would share the letter with you:http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2014/03/09/eagles-rocked-the-house-like-it-was-72.html

Thanks Deb for Posting this. I liked the rebuttal. Not everyone was old at the show. I saw and spoke with lots of people that were much younger than I am. (49)

bowlinbal
03-09-2014, 09:41 PM
I missed the eagles when they came to Pittsburgh. so when I checked and found out they were to be in Columbus,ohio ,, I purchased a ticket and drove over via interstate 70. this was my third concert , and may god bless these guys , you know that they could play these songs in their sleep , yet they know how much we enjoy watching and listening to them. after the concert I drove back home , all the time fighting not falling a sleep at the wheel. I did all the smart things by stopping at rest stop and washing my face with cold water. also keeping the car cold helps. I was impressed with joe walsh. seems like he just gets better all the time. the speed of his fingers , and how he can bend the strings , he is the best!!! so nice to see Bernie leadon. lets hope that after they return from Europe , and they get some rest , that they think???? can we do this some more???? can we shell out the bucks and come see them???? get real ,,,, yea , we can find the bucks. but if not , these guys have already gone above and beyond what is expected. thanks to the Columbus folks , they were generous to this Pittsburgh guy , and allowed me to be a buckeye.

sodascouts
03-09-2014, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the new members and thanks for the reviews!

Islander canuck
03-10-2014, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the reviews everyone

chaleymom
03-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Really wished we could have gone to this show, but after our first row/VIP experience in Cincy, and other expenses, we couldn't do it. :( My husband was working in Columbus the day of the show and for a minute we thought - should we??

Still love reading all the reviews from the Columbus show too (panties on the stage? Seriously? LOL )

Someone tell me when the PEW subsides..... I keep reliving the show over and over .... and hoping they will once again return to Ohio - or somewhere nearby. Of course now I've been spoiled and won't want less than the first couple rows on the floor next time!

Signing off the Border now for awhile....

Take it Easy!!!

rick endres
03-10-2014, 10:23 AM
You know, over the years, the Eagles have been criticized for “only being in it for the money,” “their ticket prices are so high,” "they really don't care about their fans," etc. – which I don’t believe is the case. We watched the HOTE DVD over the weekend because we were so buzzed from seeing them in Cincy. It was mentioned several times how they want to make sure they play as many of the hits that people want to hear. “I might be sick of playing Take It Easy – I’ve played it thousands of times – but there are people in the audience who have waited YEARS to hear it.”

Show me another band that has that much concern for their fans – or is even aware of their fans' concerns on that level.

Glennsallnighter
03-14-2014, 05:08 AM
I totally agree Rick. They are all at a stage in life that they could give up and be comfortable for the rest of their days. They could go out and play a 90 minute set. They put up a brilliant show because they care about their fans and want to give it their all for the fans. That comes across in every show they do.

UndertheWire
03-14-2014, 06:19 AM
I don't buy the "just in it for the money" idea, either. My take is that they get a buzz from performing in front of a large audience and making that audience happy. We all want to be loved and appreciated so imagine feeling the love of 15,000 people for a few hours.

Zanny Kingston
03-14-2014, 09:29 AM
I don't buy the "just in it for the money" idea, either. My take is that they get a buzz from performing in front of a large audience and making that audience happy. We all want to be loved and appreciated so imagine feeling the love of 15,000 people for a few hours.

I totally agree! I saw them in Columbus over a week ago and I still feel joy from seeing them live! I want to see them again!

These guys are not kids and they all have families, they don't need to keep up these tough touring schedules and doing three hour shows, and I can only guess, but I don't think they need the money, its the love of what they do and I think they have a lot of fun doing it.

I also believe that they have a deep appreciation if not affection for each other and the fact that they are all here today and able to perform at the level they are performing at.

bluefeather
03-14-2014, 12:57 PM
, its the love of what they do and I think they have a lot of fun doing it.

I also believe that they have a deep appreciation if not affection for each other and the fact that they are all here today and able to perform at the level they are performing at.

I believe(as some reviewers have stated) they have far too much fun to quit doing it and also that they genuinely like each other though they'r not the best of friends AND AFTER ALL THESE YEARS IT'S GREAT

rick endres
03-14-2014, 02:27 PM
When I play my gigs, either solo or with a band, we have a saying for when we load out gear and pack it away - "This is what they pay us for; we play for free."

Playing is fun! To quote David Crosby, "Playing music is the most fun you can have with your clothes on." I think that's true on any level, be it 20 people at a coffeehouse, or 20,000 people in an arena. It's a blast.

deb828
03-14-2014, 02:28 PM
I totally agree! I saw them in Columbus over a week ago and I still feel joy from seeing them live! I want to see them again!

These guys are not kids and they all have families, they don't need to keep up these tough touring schedules and doing three hour shows, and I can only guess, but I don't think they need the money, its the love of what they do and I think they have a lot of fun doing it.

Me too Zanny! Made a CD with the concert setlist and have played it over and over, remembering how it felt to hear each song live!

Keith
03-14-2014, 03:31 PM

I truly hope this isn't their last hurrah...
Hi Rick, and Welcome!

Interesting thoughts here. I'm in my 40s, which means that the Eagles could have been some of the first popular music that I heard as a child. Something in my brain definitely says "this is what music is suppose to sound like."

I'm also strongly against a last hurrah in the near future.

rick endres
03-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Thanks, Keith. Interesting; I'm in my 60s, you're in your 40's, and my son just turned 28 yesterday - and we all love the Eagles. And at the Cincinnati concert, that "three generation" family had a little girl with them who couldn't have been more than 14 or 15. Quite an age range - and it's all because Eagles music is so phenomenally good.

And I hope their last hurrah is a long way off, too.

Houston Baby
03-14-2014, 06:48 PM
"Their last hurrah" ~ that is too depressing to even think about! :-(

Glennsallnighter
03-15-2014, 08:42 PM
Thanks, Keith. Interesting; I'm in my 60s, you're in your 40's, and my son just turned 28 yesterday - and we all love the Eagles. And at the Cincinnati concert, that "three generation" family had a little girl with them who couldn't have been more than 14 or 15. Quite an age range - and it's all because Eagles music is so phenomenally good.

And I hope their last hurrah is a long way off, too.

My family will all go to one of the Dublin concerts. My daughters first Eagles concert was at the age of 6 in 2008 and my son's was at the age of 5 in 2009. He in particular cannot wait for the summer concerts and is sorry he isn't going to more.

StephUK
03-18-2014, 07:57 PM
My family will all go to one of the Dublin concerts. My daughters first Eagles concert was at the age of 6 in 2008 and my son's was at the age of 5 in 2009. He in particular cannot wait for the summer concerts and is sorry he isn't going to more.

I'm sure you'll all have a great time at the Dublin concerts. I have fond memories of Dublin(and Belfast) 2009. Just for you, one of my photos from Dublin 2009. Enjoy!:heart:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5021/5654841299_ffdd31ee82_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/16004674@N04/5654841299/)
2009 Dublin 91b (http://www.flickr.com/photos/16004674@N04/5654841299/) by stephclark62 (http://www.flickr.com/people/16004674@N04/), on Flickr

Glennsallnighter
03-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Awww thank you so much Stephanie. :hug: great memories indeed of both nights