PDA

View Full Version : David Bowie

Freypower
04-12-2014, 12:20 AM
I decided I would start a Bowie thread after all because since the release of The Next Day I have been rediscovering his music big time,

This goes back to 1972-73 when I was in England listening to glam rock. Songs like Rebel Rebel & The Jean Genie were absolute classics of the genre. Then there was Space Oddity; along with Elton John's Rocket Man how could you not love it?

Bowie's career has taken very interesting twists & turns. He went all white soul on us with Young Americans & Fame. He went minimalist & Kraftwerk like during the Low period with songs like Sound & Vision. Then there was Heroes; what a song, what an anthem. He also did a lot of drugs.

I bought the Ziggy Stardust abum with the astonishing guitar work of the late Mick Ronson. Every song on that album is a classic.

He reinvented himself in the early 80s with the Let's Dance album. I saw that tour; wonderful songs like the title track & Modern Love. Then he went into a period of critical disfavour with the Tin Machine project & other not well received albums.

When he released The Next Day having basically retired, it brought it all back, how great a singer & songwriter he is.

My Top 10

1. Heroes
2. Ziggy Stardust
3. Rebel Rebel
4. The Jean Genie
5. Life On Mars?
6. Space Oddity
7. Ashes To Ashes
8. Starman
9. Young Americans
10. Diamond Dogs

Although this is weighted towards the earlier material, I recommend songs like Absolute Beginners, Day In Day Out, Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) and from the new album The Stars Are Out Tonight & You Feel So Lonely You Could Die.

The other thing is David was born in Brixton & grew up in Beckenham, South London, which is where I was living when we there during that 'golden year'.

When I am feeling frustrated or whatever I always quote this line from Young Americans to myself:

Ain't there one damn song that can make me... break down & cry?!

WalshFan88
04-12-2014, 01:23 AM
I love David's music and I really like the Ziggy era as my favorite.

My Top 10:

1. Rebel Rebel
2. Ziggy Stardust
3. Changes
4. Young Americans
5. Heroes
6. Space Oddity
7. Suffragette City
8. China Girl
9. Life On Mars
10. Under Pressure (with Queen)

chaim
04-12-2014, 01:48 AM
Oh, Bowie is a giant. I love something from his every "era". Even Tin Machine II, which is bashed even more than the first one, contains a few fantastic songs.
Like Bowie has observed himself, he sometimes had one song on an album that was "predicting" what was to come on the next album. Like 1984 on Diamond Dogs -> the Young Americans album.

Some favorites off the top of my head:

Heathen
Always crashing in the same car
Repetition
She'll drive the big car (The story is a bit similar to that in Lyin' Eyes. But in SDTBG it's suggested in the end it seems that she eventually drives the car into Hudson river, killing herself and her family. Bowie left the ending open, but that's what he thinks will happen "after the song.")
Sweet thing
Zeroes (Yes, I'm not joking)
Loving the alien
Bewlay brothers
Lady grinning soul
Rock'n'roll suicide
Blackout
Space oddity
Life on Mars
Thursday's child (which already contains the "Where are we now" chorus melody)
Scream like a baby

MaryCalifornia
09-25-2014, 02:21 AM
I just watched a documentary about David Bowie called Five Years in the Making of an Icon. I believe it is pretty recent, it was on a movie channel. It was very good! I would definitely recommend it. I did not know of him until Let's Dance when I was 12 or 13, so I learned a lot about his earlier years and how he was perceived. It was interesting to see some of the same footage with Luther Vandross singing backup on Young Americans that we saw in 20 Feet From Stardom.

David Bowie is so handsome, so beautiful. And, he takes the "skinniest" title away from Mick Jagger and Ron Wood. As thin as Timothy is, he is not in the same league as Bowie in the '70s.

Definitely a new fan here!

WalshFan88
09-25-2014, 05:33 AM
Bowie is fantastic. Definitely a favorite. I play Rebel Rebel in my band and I'm playing it Saturday. Love that riff.

shunlvswx
09-25-2014, 07:44 AM
I saw that documentary. It was great. I was shocked to see Luther in there. I didn't know he had sung background for David before he made it big himself. I

t was on Showtime. I have to say. Showtime has been putting out a lot of good documentaries lately. I'm so glad I have that movie channel.

I was watching some of it one day before I left for choir rehearsal and my mother came in the living room and started watching it with me. I was telling her, mom did you know Luther sang background on one of his albums. I think she was surprise. She even knew who David Bowie was.

David never ages. I don't know if he had work done, but he still looks hot for a mid 60s guy.

Freypower
01-12-2016, 07:16 PM
I'm resurrecting (wrong word...) this thread so I can post the setlist I saw in 1983:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-bowie/1983/showgrounds-sydney-australia-43d423b7.html

And here are some photos!

http://www.bowiedownunder.com/seriousmoonlight/6.html

NightMistBlue
01-13-2016, 10:33 AM
I just watched a documentary about David Bowie called Five Years in the Making of an Icon. I believe it is pretty recent, it was on a movie channel. It was very good! I would definitely recommend it.

I'll check it out. I didn't realize until reading about it in an English newspaper a few days ago that David's father was in PR and was very involved in his son's early career: coaching him about his image and how he was perceived.

Freypower, you are lucky to have seen Bowie in concert. I had tickets for his show in Miami circa 2004. The Welsh band Stereophonics opened for him, and after their brief set we waited and waited. After a very long time, someone came out and announced that the show was cancelled. Very disappointing. Turns out there was an accident setting up the stage and a member of the crew died.

Bowie retired from performing some time after that, reportedly because of heart disease.

shunlvswx
01-13-2016, 11:19 AM
The documentary is coming on again Showtime this Friday. It did come on last Friday for David's birthday. I'm recording it and I'm going to try to save it.

The Man Who Fell to Earth came on last night and its coming on again Saturday. Then a movie about David doing his last concert as Ziggy Stardust on VH1 Classic.

Freypower
01-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Oh, Bowie is a giant. I love something from his every "era". Even Tin Machine II, which is bashed even more than the first one, contains a few fantastic songs.
Like Bowie has observed himself, he sometimes had one song on an album that was "predicting" what was to come on the next album. Like 1984 on Diamond Dogs -> the Young Americans album.

Some favorites off the top of my head:

Heathen
Always crashing in the same car
Repetition
She'll drive the big car (The story is a bit similar to that in Lyin' Eyes. But in SDTBG it's suggested in the end it seems that she eventually drives the car into Hudson river, killing herself and her family. Bowie left the ending open, but that's what he thinks will happen "after the song.")
Sweet thing
Zeroes (Yes, I'm not joking)
Loving the alien
Bewlay brothers
Lady grinning soul
Rock'n'roll suicide
Blackout
Space oddity
Life on Mars
Thursday's child (which already contains the "Where are we now" chorus melody)
Scream like a baby

Maybe it's unfair to leave out the 'on the next album' part here but it happened again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kszLwBaC4Sw

NightMistBlue
02-06-2016, 08:15 PM
The "Five Years" documentary mentioned upthread is on VH1 tonight at 9pm East Coast time.

shunlvswx
02-10-2016, 07:55 PM
I saw his documentary on VH1 Classic this past weekend. I thought it was going to be the 90 minute version from BBC, but it was the Showtime version stretch.

Also some happy news in David's family. David was going to be a first time grandpa before he died. From the article I read, Duncan told David and Iman on Christmas. I know its going to be bittersweet, but also a celebration when baby Jones comes into the world in June. He or she has an angel watch over them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/david-bowies-son-announces-going-7347166#ICID=sharebar_facebook

Mudbug
02-16-2016, 08:14 AM
Hunky Dory is a brilliant album, not a bad track. I also love pin ups, his covers album, which is also brilliant.

shunlvswx
06-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Iman posted on her facebook this morning that today would had been hers and David's 24th wedding anniversary. I know this is a sad day for her. Celebrating the first major event since his death. Then she will be a grandma sometime this month from her stepson, Duncan Jones. Its going to be a happy and bittersweet moment knowing David won't be there to see his first grandchild. I read from an article that he did know the sex of his grandchild.

I just feel for Iman and also Cindy(Celine too). You just want to hug these ladies.

LuvTim
06-06-2016, 11:18 PM
Shun, you're a sweetheart. And I agree, you just want to give them all a big hug, bless their hearts. :hug:

shunlvswx
06-20-2016, 01:08 PM
Iman posted the cutest picture of David and Lexi when she was just born. It was just soo cute. It made me sad that Lexi and Duncan couldn't say Happy Father's Day yesterday.

I was thinking of Iman, Cindy, Celine and all the wives of the stars who died this year. Iman had spent her first big day without David on Mother's Day and their anniversary just this month. For Cindy, her birthday, Mother's Day, Taylor's birthday etc.

shunlvswx
06-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Today is the 12th anniversary of David's last concert show ever. It was at the Hurricane Festival in Germany. That night he would collapse after the show. He was known to have a heart attack a few day earlier and I think he had another one that night. David would never go back on tour after this day. I think his last time he was ever on a stage was 2006.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-bowie-last-concert/

WalshFan88
06-25-2016, 04:39 PM
Wow...

shunlvswx
07-14-2016, 07:49 AM
Yesterday was the 31st Anniversary of Live Aid. I remembered watching some of it when I was 5 years old. I remembered watching Queen's set.

Here's David's set. He and Queen had that audience in the palm of their hands. Like I said on my facebook page, the guy was a sharp dresser and he had some great hair.

RIP David.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDQkaI6DT3s (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDQkaI6DT3s)

Annoying Twit
07-14-2016, 02:12 PM
I think Live Aid was the first time I ever stayed up all night without sleeping. I've only ever done it a few more times in my entire life.

shunlvswx
07-26-2016, 02:04 PM
Iman celebrated her 61st Birthday yesterday. Her first birthday without David. I know it was probably hard on her.

Annoying Twit
07-27-2016, 06:39 AM
I virtually send best wishes to Iman, Alexandria, and Duncan and hope that they are in the best place they can be, considering.

buffyfan145
07-30-2016, 10:52 AM
Just saw that Duncan announced the birth of his son yesterday on Twitter and it turns out his son was born exactly 6 months after David passed away. They named him Stenton David Jones. :)

shunlvswx
07-30-2016, 11:44 AM
Aww. So he kinda did name him after David. Nice.

I had wonder when they had their baby. I know the baby was due in June. I guess he came in July 10. Wow!!! Exactly six months after his grandpa died.

Congrats Duncan and his wife, Iman, Lexi and of course David.

Stenton has a guardian angel looking over him.

buffyfan145
07-30-2016, 03:58 PM
I saw that this morning and just thought it was amazing. Turns out Stenton's first name is after David's own father as his middle name was Stenton, so the baby is named after both great-grandfather and grandfather.

shunlvswx
08-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Wow!!! I didn't know that. How cool. Stenton named after his great-grandfather and grandfather. Duncan didn't get to know his grandfather since he died two years before he was born.

I send a congratulation to Duncan and I got a quick reply back. How cool is that. I didn't expect him to reply back. Not everybody reply, but it was cool. I guess he was online at that time.

I told him I'm guessing David is holding you and you're holding Stenton. And he said yup with a smiling face at the end.

buffyfan145
08-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Aww, that's so awesome he replied!!! :D I love when that happens.

shunlvswx
08-01-2016, 08:28 PM
Yeah. I send a congratulation to him and his wife. Iman and Lexi are probably spoiling him. Then I said something about the picture. AT first, I didn't know David was holding Duncan, but the caption made sense now. LOL But I knew the other man was David.

Since David knew he was going to have a grandson, I wonder if Duncan and his wife already had the name picked out.

shunlvswx
09-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Iman made her first public appearance last night at Tom Ford's New York Fashion Week. She post a few pictures yesterday as she got ready for this event. You have to feel for her. Her first event without David. She said she haven't been to an event since last year. David usually go with her to the fashion event and other events.

There's a video of Iman answering the reporters question about how's she's doing since David's death. She's comes in at 1:23. She was wearing a necklace that says David. She really misses David.

http://www.people.com/article/iman-talks-david-bowie-tom-ford-nyfw

I actually saw her on the HSN either last week or 2 weeks ago. That was the first time I saw her since David's death. She had some nice stuff.

shunlvswx
01-08-2017, 04:32 PM
Last night BBC Two premiered The Last Five Years. It was the last years of David from 2011 to 2016. It was interesting. They didn't say that much after Let's Dance album, but in between talking about David's last few years, they would talk about the 60s and everything between when he started to the Reality tour.

I enjoyed it.

shunlvswx
01-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Happy 70th Birthday to David. Also on this day year ago, Blackstar came out.

shunlvswx
01-10-2017, 09:57 AM
A year ago today we lost David Bowie to liver cancer at the age of 69.

IHeart Radio brought back out his tribute radio station. I wonder if they will do that for Glenn last week, but I won't hold my breath. Maybe they will.