PDA

View Full Version : Eagles related pages on Facebook

Witchy Woman
04-13-2014, 10:25 PM
I'm a member of the Don Henley Appreciation page on Facebook. While I enjoy chatting with people about the Eagles it would seem there is an awful lot of hostility on that page, as well as some others I have visited. I know at least 2 of you are members also, and it's just a shame that people can't behave like respectable adults. It's nice to see that's not so much of an issue here.

thelastresort
04-13-2014, 10:56 PM
One thing I wish the Eagles did is get more involved with social media. I believe Henley doesn't like it, but it would be such a good tool to get fans involved, and maybe as HOTE did, get some old / new fans aboard the good ship Eagles. It's used at the moment purely for marketing purposes, but there's so much potential there. I'l use an example of another band I love - Black Sabbath. They regularly upload old photos from back in the day, as well as invite comments on certain albums or songs, etc. The trouble I suspect though is, like you imply, the haters. I think the Eagles are unfortunately rather unique in that you either love them, or detest them with all the passions of a fiery hell. It could massively backfire, which is the trouble.

There aren't any decent, unofficial groups I've found either for stuff like the above.

sodascouts
04-14-2014, 02:59 AM
Unfortunately, there are a lot of hate-filled, petty people who like nothing better than ruining the fun of others and spewing bile. No place is immune from the pathetic species known as trolls. However, I know what you mean - it is true that social media seems to attract haters in larger quantities than an ordinary message board.

Freypower
04-14-2014, 03:01 AM
I am a member of the Glenn Frey Addicts Anonymous page & its activity is virtually non-existent. I am so grateful for the Border; I find that there are a lot of nasty comments on YouTube as well.

zeldabjr
04-14-2014, 03:05 AM
I'm a member of the Don Henley Appreciation page on Facebook. While I enjoy chatting with people about the Eagles it would seem there is an awful lot of hostility on that page, as well as some others I have visited. I know at least 2 of you are members also, and it's just a shame that people can't behave like respectable adults. It's nice to see that's not so much of an issue here.

I am on there too WW...and yeah there has been a lot of hostility on there recently...I'm not sure what it's all about...don't get into that stuff...and frankly don't really want to know...but I know I don't like it...

irga
04-14-2014, 03:30 AM
I used to be a member of 2 Eagles-related FB groups. After some time, when I found out there's really nothing happening there I decided to leave them. The Border seems the only sesnsible, welcoming and informative place in the Internet for people like me, IMO.

Glennsallnighter
04-14-2014, 04:09 AM
I've stared 'After Hours the Glenn Frey Appreciation Group'. I'm still working out myself how to manage it but feel free to join.

irga
04-14-2014, 04:33 AM
Just one more thought: it's seems that other's success implies hatred. Unfortunatelly, there're lots of people who just can't stand that "some have more", as Timothy put it, and the only way to vent their frustration is to attack. And, oh, it's just too easy to do it in the Internet, hidded behind the IP number or a nick.
Just go and see what's happening on U2 Message Boards... :unimpressed:
The only thing I don't get is why fans of particular music groups (or members of the same interest forums, like paragliding forum that my husband is a memeber of) attack one another. Just to show their knowledge is better? That they are smarter than anybody else? :shrug:

I've stared 'After Hours the Glenn Frey Appreciation Group'. I'm still working out myself how to manage it but feel free to join.
GA, is this a FB group? Can't find it...

VAisForEagleLovers
04-14-2014, 07:26 AM
I agree about the hate out there. Most of my 'likes' on FB are sports-related and it amazes me, no one can post anything without getting comments that are pure hate. I don't mean Ravens fans posting on the Steelers' comments, I mean things like an ESPN commentator posting news and having the first five comments be the most hateful things, either about him or about things not even related to his comment. I've seen it everywhere, so I'm not surprised that it's shown up on Eagles-related pages.

I agree with the comment about when others are successful, others hate. In general, this springs from insecurity and not actual hatred, not that it excuses it. I've never visited any of the pages mentioned here, I haven't even looked at my own Newsfeed in about a week except for whatever sits at the very top. I don't know who runs these pages, and I'm sure it's a variety of people or groups, but I do surely wish that fans of the Eagles could focus on their love of the band and not hate on other fans. I guess it's right up there with world peace.

DJ
04-14-2014, 03:08 PM
I tried to dedicate a FB page to Randy and I ran out of time. It still exists but I haven't added much. It got a few people interested. I'm just too busy to dedicated much time to it or my own FB page. Maybe I'll work on it more.

Zanny Kingston
04-14-2014, 05:02 PM
WW- I know the page you are referring to. I have checked it out every now and again and caught a post on it recently about something or someone that was pretty nasty. I don't know what the nature of the incident was - but really on a fan page was there any need of it?

I am pretty careful about social media for a lot of reasons. I wish people who were adults would act their age and realize that you are not as anonymous as you believe you are on the internet and you never know when something could come back to bite you.

It seems that the great group on this board have their act together and we share a common love for one of the greatest bands of all time and don't waste our time hating on the Eagles or on each other. When I have gone to Eagles concerts over the past year, I have inevitably ended up chatting with some wonderful people who share a common love of the band, its great fun.

I would not waste my time going on a fan page or a website just to spew a bunch of hate. Who has the time? but it appears that a lot of people do! Its a shame.

Midnight Visitor
04-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Luckily there's no hate in the couple of Joe groups that I belong to on facebook. However, there isn't much happening there in general.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-14-2014, 06:46 PM
ITA that it is really sad about all the hate being spewed on the internet, especially the social media sites. That's why I avoid them. I totally don't get why people do that kind of stuff. To me, there is enough bad stuff going on in the world, and I sure don't want to spend any leisure time that I have wallowing in negativity. As Soda said, no place on the web is totally immune to trolls. The best we can do here is try to keep the tone as positive as possible so that we attract real fans who are focused on having a good time talking about the band that they love.

Houston Debutante
04-15-2014, 11:17 AM
I don't know about that page but it sounds like people were hating on Don? So true how social media and the internet is full of haters, they try to ruin everything for everyone else, they must have no lives. I feel sorry for people who run Eagles fan pages and have to deal with all of that when they are just trying to provide a place for people to enjoy Don and the rest of the band.

Restless Heart
04-15-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm a member of lots of message boards and one hundred percent of them have trolls show up. The bigger and more successful the board, the more trolls that will show up.

I'm a member of the Democratic Underground (http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=latest_threads)... extreme rightwingers troll all the time. I'm not as into social media but I can imagine it's no different.

Youtube comments.... I don't even read them, they're so full of ignorant hateful comments.

Most people who comment on articles are also full of it. I read the Huffington Post sometimes, sites like that, and it's just insane.

It's the anonymity of the internet, that's what enables it, people puke up the hate that they'd normally have the sense to keep to themselves.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-15-2014, 08:11 PM
So often, though, they forget how easy it is to figure out a user's true identity. So many companies have people who are experts at this, and use this data when hiring or making promotion decisions, or even when on the fence about firing or laying off someone. No one wants to hire such a dissatisfied person...

mustangkim11
04-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Luckily there's no hate in the couple of Joe groups that I belong to on facebook. However, there isn't much happening there in general.

I think a lot of the Joe action is on Tumblr anyway. :drool::nod:;)

sodascouts
04-15-2014, 09:03 PM
I'd say Joe is definitely the star when it comes to Eagles' presence on Tumblr!

Ive always been a dreamer
04-15-2014, 09:10 PM
It's the anonymity of the internet, that's what enables it, people puke up the hate that they'd normally have the sense to keep to themselves.

RH - I agree with you here except I think it's the perceived anonymity of the internet that enables it. I believe VA is right in that people are not nearly as anonymous on social networking sites as they may think. Some companies do indeed monitor activity for various reasons, and it's definitely possible that certain things could come back to bite you. I am constantly trying to drill this in to my young nieces' heads and urge them to take a lot of care about what they post.

Elizasong
04-15-2014, 10:07 PM
I always thought the Eagles official site and official FB page should be more active. They are well established so it's not like the need it but I think fans would appreciate more activity. Elvis Presley Enterprises has a lot of activity all the time and that's for an artist who has been gone for 37 years! I guess they need to have more activity because there artist is no longer with us than say the Eagles who we can go see when they come around or hear about when they do something public.

I just don't get these trolls but there are haters everywhere. This is the most active site of the Eagles that I've found. Fastlane has a very active FB page but their site isn't as active as this site.

It takes a lot of work to keep up a site and keep it clean.

Restless Heart
04-21-2014, 02:20 PM
RH - I agree with you here except I think it's the perceived anonymity of the internet that enables it. I believe VA is right in that people are not nearly as anonymous on social networking sites as they may think. Some companies do indeed monitor activity for various reasons, and it's definitely possible that certain things could come back to bite you. I am constantly trying to drill this in to my young nieces' heads and urge them to take a lot of care about what they post.

That's a reason I don't do the social media scene. No privacy. Smart to warn your neices about that. A lot of younger people don't have a clue.