PDA

View Full Version : Least favourite Eagles song?

thelastresort
05-26-2014, 04:02 PM
We all have one :razz:

I think the large majority of people on here would concur that the Eagles have produced some wonderful songs over the years, from country to hard rock, chart toppers to ones never performed live etc; however there is always that one song (or more) that either leaves you cold or you cannot understand why it's so adored by everyone else.

I'll go first - LWKUA. Always been a bit too soppy for my liking lyrically, and musically it's very uninspiring. Always gets a skip on my iPod or DVDs. No hate please guys :thumbsup:

Anyone else?

sodascouts
05-26-2014, 04:03 PM
One of the things I like about the Eagles is how very, very few of their songs are clunkers.

That said....

"Disco Strangler." Oh my gosh, what were they thinking???

I read there was talk of making The Long Run a double album. I'm glad they didn't if songs like that were considered better than the ones that would've made up the second LP.

thelastresort
05-26-2014, 04:08 PM
One of the things I like about the Eagles is how very, very few of their songs are clunkers.

That said....

"Disco Strangler." Oh my gosh, what were they thinking???

I read there was talk of making The Long Run a double album. I'm glad they didn't if songs like that were considered better than the ones that would've made up the second LP.

According to Felder's book the only thing any of them agreed on by The Long Run was that they hated disco music, so this song was made. According to Eliot, Henley has said it was essentially a p*ss-take (my words, not Henley's :razz:).

I agree re: double album. In a way I'm kind of glad they called time when they did, I really would dread to think how they'd have progressed from the Long Run, where instead of having album fillers like Try and Love Again and Ol' 55 you end up with Teenage Jail and TGDWNF.

chaim
05-26-2014, 04:43 PM
I understand the "p*ss take" thing, but if you're going to do that, you should do a decent song IMO. There were a lot of great disco songs, but Disco Strangler is very bad. If anything, the song makes Eagles themselves look bad. I like Felder's riff and the chorus, but that's about it. Henley's melody just drags and drags and drags. So yeah, this is my least favorite Eagles song too. Definitely.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-26-2014, 05:19 PM
Up until a couple of years ago I'd have said Desperado, believe it or not. However, with hearing it live so many times, I can certainly say that Don sells it live. Big time. So when I hear the original recording, I just think about hearing it live and don't feel the need to skip past it.

I do skip over Please Come Home For Christmas a lot, but that's purely because I only listen to Christmas music at Christmas, so it doesn't count. However, Funky New Year gets skipped over for other reasons as well. I'm not into that kind of funkiness, I guess.

Freypower
05-26-2014, 05:23 PM
Mine is I Wish You Peace but Love Will Keep Us Alive is up there. It is one of two Eagles songs which ISN'T on my iPod. The other is Please Come Home For Christmas, which I have never liked.

In terms of songs you can't understand why they are adored...I suppose I have two, Best Of My Love & The Long Run.

I have never felt the antipathy to The Disco Strangler that others do except I suppose that it is relentlessly negative & that it has no backing vocals. I like that they ditched the syrupy strings that were such a big feature of the prevous album. I like how direct it is. It is a superior song to Greeks & Teenage Jail.

UndertheWire
05-26-2014, 06:08 PM
The Disco Strangler, with no hesitation. I loathe the guitar riff and other than that, there is no attempt at music. I don't get as far as listening to the lyrics. It the one track that I always skip if I can get to the button. Even if it's a p*ss take, that's no excuse for putting out something so bad.

GlennLover
05-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Disco Strangler by a mile! I hate it! To me it sounds like they are playing two completely different songs at the same time. I don't care for Funky New Year much. I think the Millenium Concert version is a bit better than the original recording. Neither one are on my iPod. I also don't like Born To Boogie.

I like PCHFC, but it is only on my playlist during the Christmas seasom.

I really like TGDWNF, believe it or not! It helps knowing where they were coming from when writing the song.

I like LWKUA, but it isn't one of my favourites.

thelastresort
05-26-2014, 06:32 PM
OK, does anyone have a song they don't like apart from Disco Strangler? :lol:

Tiffanny Twisted
05-26-2014, 06:37 PM
well I was never a fan of witcy woman but now am in love with it since I heard the version from HOTW..
wish they would record it in that version
I think like VA there is a new respect for all songs after hearing and seeing them done live in person.

thelastresort
05-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Just given Disco Strangler its first listen in a long while. WTF? The music and singing couldn't be worse matched if you tried. The constant hi hat is awful.

Prettymaid
05-26-2014, 06:43 PM
:wave: I do I do!

Now remember, this is my opinion.

No More Walks in the Wood

I also don't care for King of Hollywood.

tjh532
05-26-2014, 07:12 PM
I would have to agree with Disco Strangler. I have read that by the end they were just trying to get things finished and putting them on the record so that they could be done with it. I think that one fits into that category!

The other one I consistently skip is The Last Resort. Something in me just bristles when I feel like I am being lectured to about how terrible we all are and when there is a bit of revisionist history going on. I love Don's lyric writing, but this one just rubs me wrong. Just my humble opinion...

DJ
05-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Well I don't care for The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks, strange title and doesn't tune is well too fast for Eagle material. The tune is not smooth like their other songs can be.

WalshFan88
05-26-2014, 07:29 PM
I really like TGDWNF, believe it or not! It helps knowing where they were coming from when writing the song.

I do too!

I do like Born To Boogie though. It reminds me of a ZZ Top thing - who I love.

But Greeks for me is WAY better than Teenage Jail, Disco Strangler, etc etc.

MaryCalifornia
05-26-2014, 07:34 PM
I would not have been brave enough to admit this if it weren't for TJH, so here goes. I too have never understood the acclaim for The Last Resort (the song, not our fellow Borderer!!) I really do not like that song. I know there are a lot of people who think it's special, but I just can't listen to it. [ducks].

shunlvswx
05-26-2014, 07:49 PM
The song I didn't like. Wouldn't believe this, but I didn't like HT. A favorite group, The Osmonds play this song in concert and I was so sick and tired of that song. The song is growing on me.

James Dean and Ol' 55 I didn't like and it's now growing on me.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-26-2014, 07:59 PM
I would not have been brave enough to admit this if it weren't for TJH, so here goes. I too have never understood the acclaim for The Last Resort (the song, not our fellow Borderer!!) I really do not like that song. I know there are a lot of people who think it's special, but I just can't listen to it. [ducks].

Actually, I've never cared for it, either. Like you, there's just something that rubs me the wrong way. Not sure why, because I agree with just about everything in it. More than using the name 'Jesus' inappropriately, the whole song just doesn't set right with me. I was worried a year or so ago they'd include it in the tour.

sodascouts
05-26-2014, 08:42 PM
I find the melody of "The Last Resort" beautiful, but the last verse angered me so much that I didn't put it on my iPod until after I made these sites and I somehow felt this weird obligation to have every Eagles song on there, even "Disco Stranger." lol So interminably self-righteous and preachy.

I once joked that if you wanted to see the Eagles on Sunday morning back then, you'd probably find them unconscious on a floor surrounded by empty liquor bottles and traces of cocaine powder. Once they awoke, the only god they'd be worshiping would be made of porcelain; instead of standing up and singing, though, they'd be on their knees and puking.

thelastresort
05-26-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm guessing it's the reference to Christians ('see them there, on Sunday morning') and the double entendre of 'Jesus, people bought 'em' that's annoyed you guys? I must admit I do like Henley's nihilism in the song, it's a cold and blunt message but one that made me sit up and think.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Yes, there are still times when I'm offended by the song. While every lyric sheet I've ever seen has a comma after the word 'Jesus', when singing it sounds like he's saying 'Jesus People bought them.' Combined with the last verse, I've always wondered. It seems to me that it starts out with more or less implying all humans are responsible for the destruction of nice places, but by the end, the patronizing use of the word 'they', it seems only those who worship on Sunday mornings are responsible for the 'rape of the land'. Puh-leeze.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care for this song. The good news is, I can't think of another band that only has two songs I feel the need to skip over. Most have at least two that I skip over on greatest hits albums alone!

Zanny Kingston
05-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Actually, I have a few

The Last Resort -
The Girl from yesterday
Teenage jail

They are a three way tie for my least favorite.

I also like the newly arranged version of ww far better than the original.

Houston Debutante
05-26-2014, 09:40 PM
My least favorite is The Disco Strangler, does it even have a melody? I don't even like the guitar riff, there is nothing I like about it. Not even Don's voice can save it, in fact the way he sings it is creepy.

MaryCalifornia
05-26-2014, 10:00 PM
The church and Jesus references in TLR don't bother me. It's the totality of the preachiness and political self-righteousness. It's like a caricature of an environmentalist. It's just too earnest and serious and pompous and cynical. I'm surprised critics like it.

No More Walks in the Woods is a hokey concept, but I could listen to the four of them singing in harmony all day, no matter what the lyrics are, so I don't mind that one as much as if it were only one of the guys singing it.

sodascouts
05-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Yeah, for me the gorgeous vocals save NMWITW as well. The melody just kind of meanders along, but they sound great.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-26-2014, 10:22 PM
I figure, they were mid to late 20's when they wrote it (The Last Resort), and they probably knew of specific people in specific instances that gave them the ideas they had. It's unfair for them to paint everyone with that same brush, but given their youth and inexperience it can be forgiven. I was surprised last night that they picked that song to sing for the HFO concert. I guess it went with the MTV Unplugged vibe, but really, they didn't play LE or OOTN or countless other hits and chose that for their first show back. I'm completely baffled unless as men in their mid to late forties, they still believed the words of the song. I had my finger on the fast forward button at least three times before deciding I had to make myself sit through it at least once. As someone who is a 'Jesus People' and worships on Sunday mornings, it kinda hurts to be thought about in that way by a few guys I admire and respect.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Well I'm one that loves The Last Resort. I understand why some may say it is preachy and makes them uncomfortable, but the melody, music, vocals, and, yes, even the insightful lyrics overcome that for me. I happen to believe there is a lot of truth to it and that it was ahead of it's time in 1976 in terms of its environmental message and about man's tendency to destroy nature.

As far as some of the other songs that have been mentioned, I also really like Ol' 55, Try and Love Again, Please Come Home for Christmas, The Long Run, Love Will Keep Us Alive, and Greeks Don't Want No Freaks.

Disco Strangler also gets my vote for least favorite, but since it's on so many other lists, I'd also include Earlybird and Take the Devil on my list.

thelastresort
05-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Well I'm one that loves The Last Resort. I understand why some may say it is preachy and makes them uncomfortable, but the melody, music, vocals, and, yes, even the insightful lyrics overcome that for me. I happen to believe there is a lot of truth to it and that it was ahead of it's time in 1976 in terms of its environmental message and about man's tendency to destroy nature.

As far as some of the other songs that have been mentioned, I also really like Ol' 55, Try and Love Again, Please Come Home for Christmas, The Long Run, Love Will Keep Us Alive, and Greeks Don't Want No Freaks.

Disco Strangler also gets my vote for least favorite, but since it's on so many other lists, I'd also include Earlybird and Take the Devil on my list.

Agree with you on everything re: TLR. Also, as far as I know none of the guys were / are staunch atheists or anti-religion so I wouldn't necessarily believe they said what they did maliciously - I expect at times they also had some kind of relationship or connection with Christianity. The way I kinda read it is he's saying that people go to church on Sunday and thank God for his mercy and blessings yet they either as individuals or a collective watch or partake in the destruction of the life sources and beauty they have been given. (My apologies if that offends any Christians on here, it's genuinely not meant to and is just the way I read it and I think Henley would come down on it.)

I'll also agree on Earlybird. The lyrics are a tad weird and the damn tweeting noises are a pain. Take the Devil is one of the more meh songs the guys did, but I really love the first half or so. Randy's voice was in finer form as it was when he did TITTL for me.

Freypower
05-26-2014, 10:57 PM
I have always agreed with the majority of the message of The Last Resort but I can see why Christians have a problem with it. I won't go any further than that except as TLR said, perhaps they should focus more on the protest against the destruction of the environment than on the railing against Christians. (VA, I don't agree that 'Jesus, people' sounds like 'Jesus people'. You can hear the slight pause).

My main problem with it now, musically, is that if we hadn't already got the message about how dominant Henley is on that album, we get one more 'Henley Dominates This Song Apart From the Piano' just to remind us that HC is Don Henley's Album. He was at his peak in terms of writing lyrics, I know, but it was taken too far.

Perhaps we should have another thread about songs we are sick of. I have a couple which I alluded to in my previous post. This could include solo songs. Of course we could also have 'least favourite song' solo threads too.

WalshFan88
05-26-2014, 11:41 PM
It's probably "Disco Strangler" for me too although Teenage Jail is a close second.

Unlike most, I dig Funky New Year and The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks.

chaim
05-27-2014, 02:47 AM
Mine is I Wish You Peace but Love Will Keep Us Alive is up there. It is one of two Eagles songs which ISN'T on my iPod. The other is Please Come Home For Christmas, which I have never liked.

In terms of songs you can't understand why they are adored...I suppose I have two, Best Of My Love & The Long Run.

I have never felt the antipathy to The Disco Strangler that others do except I suppose that it is relentlessly negative & that it has no backing vocals. I like that they ditched the syrupy strings that were such a big feature of the prevous album. I like how direct it is. It is a superior song to Greeks & Teenage Jail.

Love Will Keep Us Alive is definitely another one that does nothing for me.

On a general note (nothing to do with Freypower's post) , I realize that it's a common practice to write just the first letter of each word in a song title, but I wish that people would write whole the song titles. The LWKUA's, TGDWNF's and PCHFC's say nothing to me and I have to go through the whole discography in my head.:-( Or is there a list somewhere where all the abbreviations can be found??

tjh532
05-27-2014, 02:53 AM
The church and Jesus references in TLR don't bother me. It's the totality of the preachiness and political self-righteousness. It's like a caricature of an environmentalist. It's just too earnest and serious and pompous and cynical. I'm surprised critics like it.

No More Walks in the Woods is a hokey concept, but I could listen to the four of them singing in harmony all day, no matter what the lyrics are, so I don't mind that one as much as if it were only one of the guys singing it.

MC you hit the nail right on the head - this is what bothers me about TLR as well. Especially the part about political self righteousness. I know that some artists (like Don) see themselves as using art to promote their views and to change peoples minds. That's his prerogative. And it's my prerogative to skip that song when it comes on! :hilarious: I listen to their music to enjoy it, not be told what an awful person I am. A while back people got mad and walked out of a Linda Ronstadt concert in Vegas because she started talking about Michael Moore and what a great person he was, etc. I would have walked out too. You pay money to hear them perform, not preach. I do have to say that the Eagles don't do that, and only have a couple of songs that preach their beliefs.

Chaim: it took me a while to get them all figured out as well :)

sodascouts
05-27-2014, 03:04 AM
All the abbreviations are here:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1398

chaim
05-27-2014, 03:26 AM
All the abbreviations are here:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1398

Thanks! I actually had this very very very vague memory of seeing such a list somewhere at some point in my life...and an even more vague memory that it could've actually possible been an Eagles song list.:hilarious:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-27-2014, 07:34 AM
Agree with you on everything re: TLR. Also, as far as I know none of the guys were / are staunch atheists or anti-religion so I wouldn't necessarily believe they said what they did maliciously - I expect at times they also had some kind of relationship or connection with Christianity. The way I kinda read it is he's saying that people go to church on Sunday and thank God for his mercy and blessings yet they either as individuals or a collective watch or partake in the destruction of the life sources and beauty they have been given. (My apologies if that offends any Christians on here, it's genuinely not meant to and is just the way I read it and I think Henley would come down on it.)

I think your take is what they were saying. I'll agree that as a group, Christians can be as hypocritical as anyone else, we're human after all. However, we were singled out in the song and others weren't. I could say that there've been non-Christians who have destroyed life sources, I assume there have been, but it's not up to me to judge who's Christian and who isn't.

I thought of this song when I first posted and erased the post because I've never been quite sure if I'm being fair to them by being offended by the song. Like Dreamer said, the performance of it, the backgrounds, the rest of it is a top-notch song. That's why I went with Funky New Year, I don't care for any parts of it.

GlennLover
05-27-2014, 10:18 AM
I enjoy TLResort, but it's not on my top ten list. I think it is a message for mankind, not just for Christians. I don't take the song personally & I am a Christian. Read both Glenn & Don's comments about the meaning of the song in 'Conversation With Don Henley & Glenn Frey' in the booklet with Eagles - The Very Best Of . They both say 'we' & not 'they' have done the destruction. I believe they are talking about mankind, not just Christians. I think that Christians are used as an example of the hypocracy of man. Glenn is a Christian & I get the indication that Don is too (although I'm not positive on that). I know he believes in God.

All this being said, I don't like the 'Jesus, people bought 'em' line. It is quite evident in the HFO performance of the song that there is a comma after 'Jesus'.

Midnight Visitor
05-27-2014, 11:33 AM
Mine is Doolin' Dalton. Even the title is cringe worthy. I like to call it Droolin' Dalton. Everything on the Deperado album that isn't Outlaw Man is fairly cringe worthy to me. "They made a f'n cowboy album!!" My feelings exactly.

DJ
05-27-2014, 09:58 PM
Mine is Doolin' Dalton. Even the title is cringe worthy. I like to call it Droolin' Dalton. Everything on the Deperado album that isn't Outlaw Man is fairly cringe worthy to me. "They made a f'n cowboy album!!" My feelings exactly.

Oh so sorry for you. I beleive this is the best album! Can't beat the harmonies or music. Sorry MV gotta disagree.

sodascouts
05-27-2014, 10:06 PM
Desperado is my favorite album too and I adore the DD / D Reprise... funny how tastes vary!

05-28-2014, 08:58 PM
I agree with ya, Soda except Desperado is a very close second only to Hotel California as my favorite album.

This thread reminded me of another thread from a few years ago about the weakest Eagles songs, which is a little different from least favorite. The non-scientific results at that time were that Borderers thought the five weakest Eagles songs were as follows ...

1) Disco Stranger
2) Teenage Jail
3) I Wish You Peace
4) Most of Us Are Sad
5) Take the Devil

There was some interesting discussion in the thread, so if anyone is interested in reading it, here is the link ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1637

sodascouts
05-28-2014, 10:19 PM
Aw, I love "Most Of Us Are Sad"! Yeah, its title makes it sound like it's going to be uninspired, but then you listen to it and it's gorgeous with emotional resonance to boot.

UndertheWire
05-28-2014, 10:32 PM
I like Take the Devil. It was my second favourite from the first album until I learned to love country rock.

chaim
05-29-2014, 04:20 AM
Adding to the two comments above...I love all the songs on that five-song list except Disco Strangler. I was "enchanted by" I Wish You Peace for some reason when I first heard it as a teenager. I even asked if our band at the time could play it. We never did, and I'm glad we didn't because it wouldn't have worked with that kind of a band! (the other guys probably thought that something had happened to my head).

And I have always loved Teenage Jail. I don't quite understand why most people - including the band - think that it's terrible. When I was a teenager I didn't realize that it was dark humor. When you listen to Don in the choruses, it should be obvious! I love the riff, which is the same as the verse melody, and combined with Glenn's voice it sounds (I can't find the right words in English) twisted and slightly evil. I love that in music as long as I can come back to light when a song ends.

thelastresort
05-29-2014, 06:22 AM
Thanks IABAD, that's kind of what I was aiming for here, it would probably have invoked more varied choices and firey debate had I put that but in the end I went for what I did.

It does seem interesting though that it is literally the fillers on Eagles and The Long Run that seem to constitute 95% of general choices.

Freypower
05-29-2014, 06:29 PM
Thanks IABAD, that's kind of what I was aiming for here, it would probably have invoked more varied choices and firey debate had I put that but in the end I went for what I did.

It does seem interesting though that it is literally the fillers on Eagles and The Long Run that seem to constitute 95% of general choices.

For me the filler tracks are on my least favourite album, One Of These Nights; I Wish You Peace, Visions & to a lesser extent Journey Of The Sorcerer, and I don't share the enthusiasm of some for Hollywood Waltz & (especially) After The Thrill Is Gone.

GlennLover
05-29-2014, 07:07 PM
For me the filler tracks are on my least favourite album, One Of These Nights; I Wish You Peace, Visions & to a lesser extent Journey Of The Sorcerer, and I don't share the enthusiasm of some for Hollywood Waltz & (especially) After The Thrill Is Gone.

I agree about fillers on OOTN, but I do like HW & I love ATTIG. Oddly enough, it is Glenn's favourite album. Hearing him talk about it I think maybe it has more to do with the recording of the album than the album itself. However, he has often named the title song as his favourite Eagles' song.

Freypower
05-29-2014, 07:16 PM
I agree about fillers on OOTN, but I do like HW & I love ATTIG. Oddly enough, it is Glenn's favourite album. Hearing him talk about it I think maybe it has more to do with the recording of the album than the album itself. However, he has often named the title song as his favourite Eagles' song.

I know that the title song is his favourite, but does that necessarily mean the album is also his favourite? Is there a source for this?

VAisForEagleLovers
05-29-2014, 07:44 PM

I heard him say during an interview for AF back in 2012 that OOTN was his favorite song. I figured it meant he and I had more in common than blue eyes, being left-handed, and loving sports (although he appears to cheer for all the wrong teams). OOTN is definitely my favorite Eagles song, and the album, while not my favorite is probably second. I really like ATTIG, it's one of those songs whose lyrics meshed with so many things throughout my life.

GlennLover
05-29-2014, 08:24 PM
I know that the title song is his favourite, but does that necessarily mean the album is also his favourite? Is there a source for this?

Yes. I have heard and/or read this more than once, but my memory isn't very good these days. :laugh: If I can find it I'll let you know.

thelastresort
05-29-2014, 08:51 PM
My nomination for 'can't understand why everyone loves it so much' is... One of These Nights. The guitar solo is often times the only reason I listen to it. I don't actually think I've ever watched it fully through on the F1 or Washington '77 DVDs and can't off hand think of the last time I listened to it. Just never really clicked for me.

I have to say I feel the same way about the album too - ever since I've heard Randy's live versions I can't settle back into the studio version of TITTL, so literally the only two songs I actively listen to from it are Lyin' Eyes and ATTIG. HW is OK but Visions, JOTS, TMH, OOTN and IWYP largely do nothing for me.

(NB - IWYP is the first song I ever got in a request for on a national radio station - it was requests night and I emailed in 'Anything Eagles'. IWYP was their choice. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry!)

VAisForEagleLovers
05-29-2014, 09:00 PM
My nomination for 'can't understand why everyone loves it so much' is... One of These Nights. The guitar solo is often times the only reason I listen to it. I don't actually think I've ever watched it fully through on the F1 or Washington '77 DVDs and can't off hand think of the last time I listened to it. Just never really clicked for me.

I have to say I feel the same way about the album too - ever since I've heard Randy's live versions I can't settle back into the studio version of TITTL, so literally the only two songs I actively listen to from it are Lyin' Eyes and ATTIG. HW is OK but Visions, JOTS, TMH, OOTN and IWYP largely do nothing for me.

(NB - IWYP is the first song I ever got in a request for on a national radio station - it was requests night and I emailed in 'Anything Eagles'. IWYP was their choice. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry!)

Wow! This is why I'm so glad I'm not them and have to put together a setlist. We're both avid fans or we wouldn't hang out on a message board, right? OOTN is my favorite and you don't like it at all! Hey, different tastes, different opinions is what keeps life interesting, right?

thelastresort
05-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Wow! This is why I'm so glad I'm not them and have to put together a setlist. We're both avid fans or we wouldn't hang out on a message board, right? OOTN is my favorite and you don't like it at all! Hey, different tastes, different opinions is what keeps life interesting, right?

Indeed. I can understand why people like it with the whole R&B fusion malarkey and the insanely high harmonies but it's endeared itself to me like most of their other work has. Still probably won't mind seeing it in concern, it would be a glaring omission! And yes, imagine how dull both here and life in general would be if we all liked and disliked the same things! ;)

Brooke
05-30-2014, 04:47 PM
I find the melody of "The Last Resort" beautiful, but the last verse angered me so much that I didn't put it on my iPod until after I made these sites and I somehow felt this weird obligation to have every Eagles song on there, even "Disco Stranger." lol So interminably self-righteous and preachy.

I once joked that if you wanted to see the Eagles on Sunday morning back then, you'd probably find them unconscious on a floor surrounded by empty liquor bottles and traces of cocaine powder. Once they awoke, the only god they'd be worshiping would be made of porcelain; instead of standing up and singing, though, they'd be on their knees and puking.

Somehow, I can see this scene perfectly! :lol: I do like The Last Resort, and think it's a beautiful song, but am annoyed at the Jesus reference part.

I'm with all of you on Teenage Jail and Disco Strangler. What were they thinking! Journey of the Sorcerer comes next.

And, please don't hurt me, I just cannot listen to I Love To Watch A Woman Dance! I can listen to the others listed above before I will listen to it! I know most of you love it, but I have never thought it should have been on the Long Road Out of Eden album. It's a Glenn solo song. Anyways, to me, it's embarrassing for me that Glenn actually recorded it! It is not on my ipod and if it plays on the cd, I must skip. Immediately! Sorry!

thelastresort
05-30-2014, 05:14 PM
Just thinking about it, all four songs new songs on HFO were fairly uninspiring:
GOI has a great message but is too far removed from their usual style for me to think really love it;
LWKUA is just no;
LTBS has some decent classic Henley lyrics but it meanders along and is generally, like LWKUA, musically dull;
TGFY is awful. The chorus harmony 'She doesn't know what's right...' is the only redeeming feature of the entire thing.

Remember guys, as per Brooke, be accepting and don't hate me! ;)

Freypower
05-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Somehow, I can see this scene perfectly! :lol: I do like The Last Resort, and think it's a beautiful song, but am annoyed at the Jesus reference part.

I'm with all of you on Teenage Jail and Disco Strangler. What were they thinking! Journey of the Sorcerer comes next.

And, please don't hurt me, I just cannot listen to I Love To Watch A Woman Dance! I can listen to the others listed above before I will listen to it! I know most of you love it, but I have never thought it should have been on the Long Road Out of Eden album. It's a Glenn solo song. Anyways, to me, it's embarrassing for me that Glenn actually recorded it! It is not on my ipod and if it plays on the cd, I must skip. Immediately! Sorry!

I was wondering when someone would mention ILTWAWD. :hilarious:

For me there are two dispensable tracks on LROOE; Fast Company & Guilty Of The Crime. I Don't Want To Hear Any More has grown on me.

MaryCalifornia
05-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Agree with FP about I Don't Want to Hear Anymore. At first I was like, "Uhhh...not an Eagles song, maybe could be on a TBS album." But it does grow on you, so I was just looking it up and found a video I have never seen. Ashamed to say I didn't know they played it live. I'll put the video in the right thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NUc7KvB40c

05-31-2014, 05:31 PM
Well, I've said many times that there is NO Eagles song that I hate or even strongly dislike. I really mean that - none of them make my ears bleed. However, there are, obviously, some that I like more than others. My top five least favorites would probably be the following in this order ...

1) Disco Stranger
2) Earlybird
3) Take the Devil
4) Tryin'
5) Teenage Jail

UndertheWire
06-01-2014, 05:14 AM
This is where I expose myself by saying that "Hotel California" is amongst my least favourite Eagles songs. I didn't like it much when it was released because I didn't like the "reggae" part. It seemed like it was almost a spoof of that kind of music, without the wit of 10CC's "Dreadlock Holiday". I hadn't realised it had been so successful until last year - I'd assumed it was a very minor offering in their catalogue. I was in the UK where the Eagles were never that big and by the late seventies, punk rock and new wave were the kinds of music that were making waves. I just don't hear what's so great about it and I start to get annoyed when people attribute so much of the band's success to it, discounting the many successes they had prior to its release.

I'm also not keen on Visions because it's clunky and just doesn't sound like an Eagles song. I'd pick "I Wish You Peace", "Journey of the Sorceror", "Most of Us Are Sad" and "Tryin'" over it any day.

I listened to "Take the Devil" last night and I still really like it. It gave Randy a chance to sing in his normal range rather than just the high notes and the bit where he gets progressively higher on the word "mind" (starting about 2:23 into the song) is awesome. I also love the beat, the bass and the lead guitar on the the song.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-01-2014, 11:15 AM
UTW, while HC has never been a favorite of mine either, it's probably for different reasons! I could never relate to the song and I usually could to their earlier hits. It also suffered from serious overplay on the radio and I got a little tired of hearing it. However, seeing them live so often over the last few years, I'll say that watching Joe play his part at the end is simply spectacular.

WalshFan88
06-01-2014, 12:43 PM
To me HC is their defining song. I totally don't get the reggae reference but a lot of people do. To me it just sounds like raw rock n' roll. To me it is a guitar and rock n' roll anthem every bit as much as say "Stairway To Heaven", "Rock N' Roll All Nite". As good as the Eagles were vocally/lyrically they really were a guitar hero band to me and HC is a great example of that. To me, their guitar parts were every bit as good as their lyrics/vocals. The solos in HC are by far the most complex Eagles solos and are the highlight of the song. That said I definitely relate to the lyrics a lot and they saved my life. I relate to the lyrics far more than any other Eagles song. Simply put, they wouldn't be anywhere close to where they are today without the addition of Joe Walsh, and the release of that album.... It turned a successful country-rock group into a rock n' roll supergroup with waaaay more success.

If I love a song, I could listen to it 10 times a day and never burn out on it. Overplay has never been an issue with songs I love. On the reverse if I don't like a song - one time of listening is plenty.

thelastresort
06-01-2014, 01:03 PM
New Kid in Town > Hotel California

*hides, but yes I am being serious*

I hear ya though WF88, the Eagles's music from all periods of their existence has helped me a lot over the years.

UndertheWire
06-01-2014, 01:44 PM
If I wanted guitars, I'd listen to Cream or Santana and if I wanted two guitarists, then Wishbone Ash. But by then, the trend was away from guitar heroes. Hotel California was the time when the Eagles became mainstream - my mother bought the album - and I was looking for something else.

DJ
06-01-2014, 01:51 PM
I agree with Austin HC was a great guitar album and Joe and Felder should be up there with Hendrix and the likes.:rockguitar:

chaim
06-01-2014, 01:59 PM
I've never followed Joe's solo career so I only know him from the Eagles. I've always thought of him as an all-around musician in the Eagles more than a guitar hero. I think it's because New Kid In Town is one of my favorite songs ever, and Joe not only plays the electric piano in the song, but the organ part too. I think his keyboard parts are a big part of the song's charm. Of course he plays piano in Pretty Maids..., organ in I Can't Tell You Why etc. I play guitar myself, but I rarely listen to guitarists when I listen to music. So I think of Joe as a musician who played whatever made the song better. And I'm not knocking Joe. On the contrary. I respect a person who can step outside of his regular instrument that easily. Of course he's a great guitarist, but...
Having said that, I do occasionally notice a great guitar solo or a great rhythm part when I hear them. The guitar solos in Hotel California are among the greatest I've ever heard. I think Don's bits in that particular section are MUCH better than Joe's, but Joe's bits do work nicely with Don's. Hmmm, this thread is probably too far off-topic already...

sodascouts
06-01-2014, 03:11 PM
I recognize Hotel California's artistry and I certainly wouldn't call it my least favorite Eagles song, but it doesn't make my top 20 Eagles songs either. It probably ranks around #30 for me.

06-01-2014, 05:23 PM
I consider Hotel California to be a musical masterpiece. IMO, the music, lyrics, vocals, and melody blend together perfectly to create what I consider to be a perfect song. I don't think I'll ever tire of it. I can appreciate the opinions that it may not be someone's favorite song because what each of us likes is, of course, very subjective. But what makes me roll my eyes is when I hear detractors proclaim that it is a bad, horrible song. That didn't happen here because I believe that most folks are like Soda in that they can, at the very least, appreciate the song's artistic merit. It may be hard to appreciate the cultural impact and significance of the song if you weren't around in the 70's, but I can tell you, it was a BIG deal.

So love it or hate it, the bottom line is that this band, with the help of this song, is largely responsible for bringing rock and roll it into the mainstream of our culture. Many people back in the day demonized rock and roll, and the Eagles helped change that. Although they had a lot of detractors, their music was so ‘listenable’ with the amazing harmonies, great melodies and music, and intelligent lyrics that it appealed to the masses and gained widespread acceptance. People just couldn’t help but like the way they sounded in spite of the fact that they were long-haired hippie rockers.

WalshFan88
06-01-2014, 06:08 PM
I consider Hotel California to be a musical masterpiece. IMO, the music, lyrics, vocals, and melody blend together perfectly to create what I consider to be a perfect song. I don't think I'll ever tire of it. I can appreciate the opinions that it may not be someone's favorite song because what each of us likes is, of course, very subjective. But what makes me roll my eyes is when I hear detractors proclaim that it is a bad, horrible song. That didn't happen here because I believe that most folks are like Soda in that they can, at the very least, appreciate the song's artistic merit. It may be hard to appreciate the cultural impact and significance of the song if you weren't around in the 70's, but I can tell you, it was a BIG deal.

So love it or hate it, the bottom line is that this band, with the help of this song, is largely responsible for bringing rock and roll it into the mainstream of our culture. Many people back in the day demonized rock and roll, and the Eagles helped change that. Although they had a lot of detractors, their music was so ‘listenable’ with the amazing harmonies, great melodies and music, and intelligent lyrics that it appealed to the masses and gained widespread acceptance. People just couldn’t help but like the way they sounded in spite of the fact that they were long-haired hippie rockers.

Agreed.

Freypower
06-01-2014, 06:45 PM
To me HC is their defining song. I totally don't get the reggae reference but a lot of people do. To me it just sounds like raw rock n' roll. To me it is a guitar and rock n' roll anthem every bit as much as say "Stairway To Heaven", "Rock N' Roll All Nite". As good as the Eagles were vocally/lyrically they really were a guitar hero band to me and HC is a great example of that. To me, their guitar parts were every bit as good as their lyrics/vocals. The solos in HC are by far the most complex Eagles solos and are the highlight of the song. That said I definitely relate to the lyrics a lot and they saved my life. I relate to the lyrics far more than any other Eagles song. Simply put, they wouldn't be anywhere close to where they are today without the addition of Joe Walsh, and the release of that album.... It turned a successful country-rock group into a rock n' roll supergroup with waaaay more success.

If I love a song, I could listen to it 10 times a day and never burn out on it. Overplay has never been an issue with songs I love. On the reverse if I don't like a song - one time of listening is plenty.

The verses, particularly the first verse, have a reggae tempo.

I'm afraid I have almost diametrically opposed views to this.I don't think of the Eagles as a 'guitar hero' band. To me this is overstating the case & overemphasises the Walsh era. For me their vocals & lyrics are more important than their guitar work with a few exceptions (Life In The Fast Lane). The lyrics of HC are more important than the solos for me. And as for how much I love it; nowhere near as much as I used to. It would be in my Top 20 these days but not my top 10.

There are a couple of my favourite songs which I can never hear too often. HC is not one of them (New Kid In Town is).

WalshFan88
06-01-2014, 06:52 PM
To me this is overstating the case & overemphasises the Walsh era.

I don't see a problem with overemphasizing the Walsh era. He really injected some life back into the band and made them what they are now.... They appealed to a much wider audience with classic rock n' roll than they did as smooth Cali country-rockers. Make no mistake about it, Hotel California turned a pretty successful country band into a rock n' roll supergroup right up there with the likes of Rolling Stones, Beatles, etc. Without him, I honestly doubt they would have ever reached the success that they did with him. And it's not that Bernie was bad, just that rock n' roll and a harder edge appealed to a broader audience and Bernie wasn't into that, so he left. The early days will always be a part of the band's history but they really became big with the success of the Hotel California record and single.

Midnight Visitor
06-01-2014, 09:27 PM
I don't see a problem with overemphasizing the Walsh era. He really injected some life back into the band and made them what they are now.... They appealed to a much wider audience with classic rock n' roll than they did as smooth Cali country-rockers. Make no mistake about it, Hotel California turned a pretty successful country band into a rock n' roll supergroup right up there with the likes of Rolling Stones, Beatles, etc. Without him, I honestly doubt they would have ever reached the success that they did with him. And it's not that Bernie was bad, just that rock n' roll and a harder edge appealed to a broader audience and Bernie wasn't into that, so he left. The early days will always be a part of the band's history but they really became big with the success of the Hotel California record and single.

Agreed. I remember when Walsh joined the Eagles. They went from being a radio friendly band to a super group. It was undeniable. The sales of HC and the headlining tours that followed were the proof.

Brooke
06-02-2014, 04:26 PM
I can't even imagine not liking Hotel California! I love it, but I must admit that I'm a bit tired of it. It's way over played on the classic rock stations I listen to.

But, even with that, I hear that intro and I'm taken away down that dark, desert highway.............

Freypower
06-02-2014, 06:37 PM

Once again I feel I must point out that the song Hotel California was the 2ND #1 single from the album. The first was New Kid In Town. Prior to this they had had a number one album with One Of These Nights and before that a number one single with Best Of My Love. They were already a supergroup, in my view. They were 'made what they are now' not only by the addition of Walsh but by the superb songs written by the songwriting team of Henley & Frey. All band members were responsible for this, not just one.

In any case it's ironic that this much vaunted 'harder edge' and 'life' supposedly inntroduced by Walsh barely appears on two tracks from this album, Wasted Time & The Last Resort, which are slow ballads dominated by piano & strings. His own song is a ballad & he doesn't exactly feature prominently in Try & Love Again. He plays keyboards on New Kid In Town. Where he did spice them up & make them a different band was in their live show, to the point where to this day, many reviewers seem to think he is the only band member worth discussing.

WalshFan88
06-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Once again I feel I must point out that the song Hotel California was the 2ND #1 single from the album. The first was New Kid In Town. Prior to this they had had a number one album with One Of These Nights and before that a number one single with Best Of My Love. They were already a supergroup, in my view. They were 'made what they are now' not only by the addition of Walsh but by the superb songs written by the songwriting team of Henley & Frey. All band members were responsible for this, not just one.

In any case it's ironic that this much vaunted 'harder edge' and 'life' supposedly inntroduced by Walsh barely appears on two tracks from this album, Wasted Time & The Last Resort, which are slow ballads dominated by piano & strings. His own song is a ballad & he doesn't exactly feature prominently in Try & Love Again. He plays keyboards on New Kid In Town. Where he did spice them up & make them a different band was in their live show, to the point where to this day, many reviewers seem to think he is the only band member worth discussing.

Don't forget about LITFL. If it weren't for Joe - that song wouldn't exist.

Freypower
06-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Don't forget about LITFL. If it weren't for Joe - that song wouldn't exist.

I didn't forget about LITFL; it goes without saying. However the point of my post was that Joe is not nearly as dominant on the HC album as some would have us believe.

06-02-2014, 08:29 PM
This is getting pretty off topic for this thread, but, I've always maintained that the Eagles' enduring success is because of the contributions of all of the band members. In addition, I believe part of the reason that they became the legendary band that they are is because of their ability to perform just about any genre of music at a very high level. I agree that they were well on their way to superstardom after the release of the One of These Nights album. As we are so often reminded, the best-selling record of all time in the U.S., Their Greatest Hits (1971 -1975), predates Hotel California.

chaim
06-03-2014, 04:38 AM
I won't comment on Joe's importance to the band, but when people speak of "harder edge" I assume that they are talking about live performances (??), as Hotel California is IMO the "slickest" album they ever made. When I want hard edge, Hotel California is not the album I go for. I don't consider Life In The Fast Lane, or Victim Of Love, "hard". The former is very disciplined and sophisticated rock to my ears and the chorus in the latter is pure pop.

I have always wondered about this "edge"/"hard"/"rock" thing when it come to the Eagles. It's obvious that their guitar department was much better later on when it comes to rock music, but IMO if I take their records and put Out Of Control (original lineup) and Good Day In Hell (original lineup plus "Fingers" on slide), they are harder and "edgier" than those HC tracks I mentioned. In Out Of Control the band is really rocking IMO and the rhythm guitars (at least Glenn's) sound dirty.

Something like Earlybird has much more edge IMO than anything on HC. So, once again, I assume that people are talking more about live performances when they say that the Eagles gained "harder rock edge" (or whatever the term is :hilarious:). Am I right?

thelastresort
06-03-2014, 07:31 AM
I would also argue that the Eagles on-stage performance in the early years were more hard and unleashed that during HC. Henley used to be a lot, lot harder on the drums back then and it was a lot more unorganised than it became later on. The Netherland '73 Outlaw Man and BBC '73 Out of Control were a lot edgier than some of their more later shows. With all due respect to Frey and co., they certainly 'loitered' more as the decade progressed.

WalshFan88
06-03-2014, 07:37 AM
I won't comment on Joe's importance to the band, but when people speak of "harder edge" I assume that they are talking about live performances (??), as Hotel California is IMO the "slickest" album they ever made. When I want hard edge, Hotel California is not the album I go for. I don't consider Life In The Fast Lane, or Victim Of Love, "hard". The former is very disciplined and sophisticated rock to my ears and the chorus in the latter is pure pop.

I have always wondered about this "edge"/"hard"/"rock" thing when it come to the Eagles. It's obvious that their guitar department was much better later on when it comes to rock music, but IMO if I take their records and put Out Of Control (original lineup) and Good Day In Hell (original lineup plus "Fingers" on slide), they are harder and "edgier" than those HC tracks I mentioned. In Out Of Control the band is really rocking IMO and the rhythm guitars (at least Glenn's) sound dirty.

Something like Earlybird has much more edge IMO than anything on HC. So, once again, I assume that people are talking more about live performances when they say that the Eagles gained "harder rock edge" (or whatever the term is :hilarious:). Am I right?

I disagree. VOL and LITFL have a very hard edge I think and while OOC and GDIH are more rocking than the first two records (and IMO AG outrocks them both), Joe's rock edge is obvious on HC and LITFL and VOL (slide) are great examples.

He certainly did that for their live shows. Now as far as slick albums, OOTN takes the cake for me.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2014, 07:55 AM

I think what people mean is that for whatever reason, with the album HC, the Eagles were thought of more as rock than country-rock. LITFL I'm sure was a primary reason for that, along with HC being so popular across the various charts. While a large portion of the song borders on 'ballad', it's definitely a rock ballad vs. a song like Lyin' Eyes, and of course the duelin' guitars kick it up a few notches and take it out of 'ballad' status, IMO.

I admire the lyrics to HC (and of course the guitars), and can appreciate the talent it took to write that song. It is a masterpiece. It just doesn't do anything for me unless I'm sitting in front of Joe and watching him smoke the guitar at the end. I've never been on a dark, desert highway, and to be honest, I've never wanted to be. So much of songwriting, as Glenn has said, is about triggering the imagination of the ones listening. This song does that. Maybe I just don't like where my imagination goes for this one.

UndertheWire
06-03-2014, 08:55 AM
I wish I could love HC more but it doesn't do it for me and it's one of the few that I usually skip. Before last summer, I'd never listened to "The Long Run" album, so that was an interesting experience. There are a couple of songs I didn't care for in the beginning which have now grown on me - "Those Shoes" (after hearing it live) and "King of Hollywood" because I love the guitars whoever is playing.

Even if the thread has gone a bit off topic, I've enjoyed reading all the comments. One thing I've realised is how different the music culture was in the US than the UK during the seventies. Given a common language, the amount of american music played in the UK and the british bands who made it big in the US, I'd assumed it was a lot closer. Here's a thought: HC was the Eagles' only top 10 single in the UK, reaching #8. That same year, the Sex Pistols had three top 10 singles.

I give Geffen a lot of the credit for the Eagles becoming superstars - if he hadn't pushed out the Greatest Hits when he did, they might have lost the momentum they'd gained with OOTN and HC wouldn't have been as huge.

06-03-2014, 10:33 AM
This is an interesting discussion, so, hopefully, thelastresort, who originated this thread is okay with it veering off topic. If not, I'll be glad to move the off topic posts to a more appropriate thread. I consider Hotel California to be the pinnacle of the band's success. But, in addition to all seven band members, I also believe that many other people and circumstances deserve lots of credit as well - primarily David Geffen (as UTW mentioned), Glyn Johns, Bill Szymczyk, and Irving Azoff to name a few. Each of them played a key role in the band's success in various ways. The band always had a rock and roll edge. What sounds country by today's standards was considered more rock and roll in the 70's. But, starting with On the Border, the band began successfully crossing over to appeal to an even wider rock and roll audience. To me, the key was that with every change in musical direction, they managed expand their fanbase without losing a lot of their old followers, thereby, acheiving the mass appeal that they still enjoy to this day.

thelastresort
06-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Since IABAD asked, I'm totally OK with the way this is heading. The more discussion the better :D

(Of course, if anyone deems it may be more suited to its own thread then mods feel free to act as necessary.)

Midnight Visitor
06-03-2014, 12:54 PM
This is getting pretty off topic for this thread, but, I've always maintained that the Eagles' enduring success is because of the contributions of all of the band members. In addition, I believe part of the reason that they became the legendary band that they are is because of their ability to perform just about any genre of music at a very high level. I agree that they were well on their way to superstardom after the release of the One of These Nights album. As we are so often reminded, the best-selling record of all time in the U.S., Their Greatest Hits (1971 -1975), predates Hotel California.

Meanwhile as late as 1975 the Eagles would OPEN for Joe Walsh at festivals. The success of Their Greatest Hits is undeniable. If you put a whole bunch of top 10 successful pop songs on a record there's a good chance it will sell well. HC was an original album of music. One of These Nights sold 4 million copies. HC sold 32 million.

chaim
06-03-2014, 01:23 PM
I disagree. VOL and LITFL have a very hard edge I think and while OOC and GDIH are more rocking than the first two records (and IMO AG outrocks them both), Joe's rock edge is obvious on HC and LITFL and VOL (slide) are great examples.

He certainly did that for their live shows. Now as far as slick albums, OOTN takes the cake for me.

In a way I agree totally. I do think that Joe adds some edge to both of these songs - well, he originated one of them...But overall those songs sound to me...I can't find the English word...too polished, maybe. But maybe it's just the studio versions. My "problem" probably doesn't have anything to do with Joe. I think the whole band sound is sometimes too "polished" (for lack of a better word) on HC and The Long Run - lacking some edge.
Of course it's also possible that with Don F and then with Joe the Eagles became too good in rock music and to my ears they lost some edge.:laugh: Perhaps I need some sloppiness...

eaglesfan12
06-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Least fav and this was hard. Due all there songs being great.

Sad cafe and get over it. Not a huge fan oe them two

WalshFan88
06-03-2014, 02:57 PM
In a way I agree totally. I do think that Joe adds some edge to both of these songs - well, he originated one of them...But overall those songs sound to me...I can't find the English word...too polished, maybe. But maybe it's just the studio versions. My "problem" probably doesn't have anything to do with Joe. I think the whole band sound is sometimes too "polished" (for lack of a better word) on HC and The Long Run - lacking some edge.
Of course it's also possible that with Don F and then with Joe the Eagles became too good in rock music and to my ears they lost some edge.:laugh: Perhaps I need some sloppiness...

I think the band from OOTN on was more polished, but I don't think it takes away from their more rock n' roll presence.... I think OOTN is probably their smoothest song. And that's ok, I love OOTN - one of my faves. But to me it's very smooth. Now it's not as polished as say, an ELO record, but it's definitely smoother.

The Long Run definitely IMO was a hit or miss album and a mixed bag. Some stuff is very polished, but some stuff like Those Shoes, In The City, or Heartache Tonight have a more rock edge.

I have no problem with a bit of a polished record or perfectionism as long as it doesn't go on to be too glossy to where there is no "guts" or edge to it or a human aspect. And that's coming from a diehard raw rock n' roll fan who listens to the likes of the Stones, AC/DC, Aerosmith, GnR, Zeppelin, etc. I find there to be enough RnR in HC (album) to excite me.

I think Joe is a very good team player in the band and certainly made them more edgier - and had that rockstar vibe from the beginning. They were on their way there with the addition of Felder, but adding Joe with Felder took it to a whole new level IMO.

chaim
06-03-2014, 03:09 PM
I think the band from OOTN on was more polished, but I don't think it takes away from their more rock n' roll presence.... I think OOTN is probably their smoothest song. And that's ok, I love OOTN - one of my faves. But to me it's very smooth. Now it's not as polished as say, an ELO record, but it's definitely smoother.

The Long Run definitely IMO was a hit or miss album and a mixed bag. Some stuff is very polished, but some stuff like Those Shoes, In The City, or Heartache Tonight have a more rock edge.

I have no problem with a bit of a polished record or perfectionism as long as it doesn't go on to be too glossy to where there is no "guts" or edge to it or a human aspect. And that's coming from a diehard raw rock n' roll fan who listens to the likes of the Stones, AC/DC, Aerosmith, GnR, Zeppelin, etc. I find there to be enough RnR in HC (album) to excite me.

I think Joe is a very good team player in the band and certainly made them more edgier - and had that rockstar vibe from the beginning. They were on their way there with the addition of Felder, but adding Joe with Felder took it to a whole new level IMO.

One Of These Nights, the song, is a bit too (whatever the word is in English, polished, smooth, wimpy:hilarious:) for me. But I think the album overall doesn't sound as polished as HC. But it's not necessarily in the playing. Might be a sonic thing.

WalshFan88
06-03-2014, 04:58 PM
One Of These Nights, the song, is a bit too (whatever the word is in English, polished, smooth, wimpy:hilarious:) for me. But I think the album overall doesn't sound as polished as HC. But it's not necessarily in the playing. Might be a sonic thing.

I dig it but it isn't rock n' roll IMO. Just like ICTYW off of The Long Run. I love both songs very much even though they aren't rock n' roll. And I like country, just not the bluegrass stuff with fiddles and banjos. I'm more of a Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Dwight Yoakam kind of guy when it comes to classic country. More harder edged country with loud Telecasters.

RnR is definitely my preferred music but I do dig into some RnB and country. Just not bluegrass or classical. I can only stand so many banjos. :hilarious:

sodascouts
06-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Meanwhile as late as 1975 the Eagles would OPEN for Joe Walsh at festivals.

This surprises me, since Joe hadn't had any big hits at that point. I know they were opening for the likes of Elton John and The Beach Boys before One of These Nights had its string of hits, but Joe Walsh wasn't quite at that level of fame. Were these guitar festivals or something where Joe might have been a bigger draw? Was this something that happened often? Your statement implies it was a regular thing, and that would surprise me even more!

Freypower
06-03-2014, 06:42 PM
I wish I could love HC more but it doesn't do it for me and it's one of the few that I usually skip. Before last summer, I'd never listened to "The Long Run" album, so that was an interesting experience. There are a couple of songs I didn't care for in the beginning which have now grown on me - "Those Shoes" (after hearing it live) and "King of Hollywood" because I love the guitars whoever is playing.

Even if the thread has gone a bit off topic, I've enjoyed reading all the comments. One thing I've realised is how different the music culture was in the US than the UK during the seventies. Given a common language, the amount of american music played in the UK and the british bands who made it big in the US, I'd assumed it was a lot closer. Here's a thought: HC was the Eagles' only top 10 single in the UK, reaching #8. That same year, the Sex Pistols had three top 10 singles.

I give Geffen a lot of the credit for the Eagles becoming superstars - if he hadn't pushed out the Greatest Hits when he did, they might have lost the momentum they'd gained with OOTN and HC wouldn't have been as huge.

The Eagles were under Irving Azoff's management when Greatest Hits was released - after OOTN & prior to HC. They went to Irving in 1974. So as far as I am aware Geffen had nothing to do with Greatest Hits; in fact there is a scene in HOTE when Irving dsiplays the GH platinum record.
https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/management/frontline.htm

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Least fav and this was hard. Due all there songs being great.

Sad cafe and get over it. Not a huge fan oe them two

I can agree about Sad Café, but I like Get Over It. Both songs, however, have given me lines I use pretty frequently...

"I don't know why fortune smiles on some, and lets the rest go free."

and

"I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass."

WalshFan88
06-03-2014, 08:48 PM
I can agree about Sad Café, but I like Get Over It. Both songs, however, have given me lines I use pretty frequently...

"I don't know why fortune smiles on some, and lets the rest go free."

and

"I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass."

Probably my favorite one-two punch of any Eagles song - as Henley describes in the HFO behind the scenes video. I also love the lawyers line. I have nothing against lawyers but I find it funny regardless.

Zanny Kingston
06-03-2014, 08:57 PM
This is such an interesting discussion! As a young teen in the 1970's I remember hearing Eagles songs on the radio, but it was the Hotel California Album, that really made the Eagles music embraced by more than just AM top 40 radio stations or even some more country music type stations.

I will give you an example: I remember so clearly when the HC album was released, that VOL was played only on our "alternative" rock FM radio station here in the Boston area, and that is where I also first heard "AG" and "JD",. On top 40 AM stations, you could hear HC and NKIT, TIE and other Eagles tunes all being played. The listening audiences who tuned into those two radio stations could almost be called polar opposite in music taste, I know, because I was the FM radio rock music listener while my best friend was strictly an AM top 40 girl. I really sat up and took notice of the Eagles at that time because the more rock type stuff appealed to me, and I would not have necessarily have known the Eagles were rockers had I only been listening to top 40 radio. I liked their music well enough but once I heard the songs that rocked, that was it for me!

06-03-2014, 10:02 PM
This surprises me, since Joe hadn't had any big hits at that point. I know they were opening for the likes of Elton John and The Beach Boys before One of These Nights had its string of hits, but Joe Walsh wasn't quite at that level of fame. Were these guitar festivals or something where Joe might have been a bigger draw? Was this something that happened often? Your statement implies it was a regular thing, and that would surprise me even more!

ITA with this.

And as I said before, I would agree that Hotel California was the pinnacle of the band's success. However, I do think some of the statements that have been made in this thread regarding Joe's contributions are debatable such as ...

"He really injected some life back into the band and made them what they are now...." and "Without him, I honestly doubt they would have ever reached the success that they did with him."

Now - I just love Joe, so I'm not trying to be disrespectful or downplay his role in the band, but I do believe those comments overstate his contributions. He absolutely was and always has been an important addition, but there is no way that I believe the band would not have been as successful without him. I also do not believe his contributions to the Hotel California song or album are what propelled the album to be the mega-success that it was. I think Joe himself said it best in the HOTE documentary that his biggest contribution to the band is what he lends to the live performances. There is no denying that the crowds love him, including me. But I also believe what the band members have often said ... when it's all said and done, despite everyone who ever contributed to the band, the main reason for the band's success is "the SONGS".

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2014, 11:04 PM
But I also believe what the band members have often said ... when it's all said and done, despite everyone who ever contributed to the band, the main reason for the band's success is "the SONGS".

Oh, that is SO true. They are great live and Joe is a big part of that and they know it. But no one would really want to hear them live now if it weren't for the songs. Since they stayed out of the media and kept their handsome faces off albums covers, and tried to fly under the radar in general, it had to be about the songs.

Of course, the songs are more than the lyrics and melody. The guitars, the keyboards, the harmonies, the drums, the bass, the arrangements, all of them combine with the melody and lyrics to make some incredible songs. Our guys each had their talents and I agree that they'd have been very successful without Joe. However, the addition of Joe was huge. Not just in picking up a great guitar player and rock and roller, but the sheer media coverage, all of it good, just from the announcement helped propel them. For me, it was a dream come true. I remember the DJ's talking about it, and I remember being excited about it. Plus, it has to be said, Bernie was not happy in the band and that has a way of being felt on a lot of levels. So him leaving, given that, helped as well. (Keep in mind that I LOVE that he's on this tour and I hope that he stays.) Bernie is a great guitar player, but Joe has a different style and the band used that. Fortunately for everyone, our guys are extremely good at making the most out of the diverse talent they have, and in that market, at that time, it was very well received. The songs have stood the test of time and always will, but it took a lot of things coming together at the right time to make them iconic.

I look at it like this... When the Indianapolis Colts drafted Peyton Manning, they were known for their running game. It was a strong running game and won them a lot of games. They could have fit Peyton in as someone who would enhance it by being an option quarterback. Basically not screwing anything up. Instead, they took the best of both the running game and Peyton's talents and came up with something really, really good. They adapted and made themselves superstars.

I'm not so much saying Joe's input of talent to the Eagles is on the same scale as Peyton's to the Colts (tho Faulk was no small potatoes), but what I am comparing is the ability to 'draft up' and do something great with it. Not everyone can do that, in sports or music.

WalshFan88
06-03-2014, 11:05 PM
I have to disagree Dreamer. I think his studio work with them was every bit as important as his live work. I mean ask anyone what the best guitar solo/part is in the history of rock n' roll and most will tell you "Hotel California". It's partly due to Felder and partly due to Walsh but Walsh coming up with that iconic outro really sealed the deal. And of course him starting off the idea for LITFL. LITFL really epitomizes the rock n' roll change of the band. Again the lyrics and imagery of HC are great, but the guitar work is equally awesome IMO.

Of course the song is the result of all parts and is the finished product and what's important, but I think the music itself and the other instruments is on par with the songwriting.

UndertheWire
06-04-2014, 01:11 AM
The Eagles were under Irving Azoff's management when Greatest Hits was released - after OOTN & prior to HC. They went to Irving in 1974. So as far as I am aware Geffen had nothing to do with Greatest Hits; in fact there is a scene in HOTE when Irving dsiplays the GH platinum record.
https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/management/frontline.htm
It was a record company decision to put out a Greatest Hits and Geffen was head of the record company at that time. I've also seen something about the band not being that happy about it at the time (probably Eliot's book).

Here's Inventing David Geffen and he talks about it around 43 minutes in.

06-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Oh, that is SO true. They are great live and Joe is a big part of that and they know it. But no one would really want to hear them live now if it weren't for the songs. Since they stayed out of the media and kept their handsome faces off albums covers, and tried to fly under the radar in general, it had to be about the songs.

Of course, the songs are more than the lyrics and melody. The guitars, the keyboards, the harmonies, the drums, the bass, the arrangements, all of them combine with the melody and lyrics to make some incredible songs. Our guys each had their talents and I agree that they'd have been very successful without Joe. However, the addition of Joe was huge. Not just in picking up a great guitar player and rock and roller, but the sheer media coverage, all of it good, just from the announcement helped propel them. For me, it was a dream come true. I remember the DJ's talking about it, and I remember being excited about it. Plus, it has to be said, Bernie was not happy in the band and that has a way of being felt on a lot of levels. So him leaving, given that, helped as well. (Keep in mind that I LOVE that he's on this tour and I hope that he stays.) Bernie is a great guitar player, but Joe has a different style and the band used that. Fortunately for everyone, our guys are extremely good at making the most out of the diverse talent they have, and in that market, at that time, it was very well received. The songs have stood the test of time and always will, but it took a lot of things coming together at the right time to make them iconic.

I look at it like this... When the Indianapolis Colts drafted Peyton Manning, they were known for their running game. It was a strong running game and won them a lot of games. They could have fit Peyton in as someone who would enhance it by being an option quarterback. Basically not screwing anything up. Instead, they took the best of both the running game and Peyton's talents and came up with something really, really good. They adapted and made themselves superstars.

I'm not so much saying Joe's input of talent to the Eagles is on the same scale as Peyton's to the Colts (tho Faulk was no small potatoes), but what I am comparing is the ability to 'draft up' and do something great with it. Not everyone can do that, in sports or music.

ITA with your post, VA. I think most of us agree that Joe is a big reason for the level of success the band achieved, however, he is not the sole reason for it.

WalshFan88
06-05-2014, 11:33 PM
Just wanted to stop in and say I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my comments regarding Joe. I'm of course biased and even I have trouble recognizing that. I've been feeling crappy all week and was in an argumentative mood and I'm very protective over Hotel California, as if it was my own child... I've had guys on guitar forums go nuts over how I ruthlessly defend it and the band for that matter and have been the subject of a lot of comments regarding it. Because hearing those solos saved my life I feel like I treat it like a family member or child.

In all honesty I don't think Joe is the only reason for the Eagles success or to say they were nothing without him but I do feel like his contributions brought them to a rock n' roll edge that completed the transformation from country-rock to a more mainstream rock sound with his playing on Hotel California (album) on the title track and LITFL along with Don Felder's but I know it was the sum of all parts. I didn't mean to sound like it was him and him only that made them great as even I don't believe that. I just am a big Joe fan and I really think he's underrated in general and I tend to get carried away.

Brooke
06-06-2014, 10:08 AM
WF, no harm no foul! Everyone has a right to their own thoughts and opinions. Everyone is defensive of their own favorites too! No doubt about it, Joe had a huge impact on the band. What they would have done if he hadn't joined, we can only speculate!

Love your av, btw!

chaim
06-06-2014, 11:15 AM
WalshFan88, I never got the impression that you were saying Joe was the sole reason for their success. But it is considerate to think of the possibility that someone was offended.

GlennLover
06-06-2014, 12:20 PM
No offence taken here, Austin!:)

sodascouts
06-18-2014, 12:42 AM
So I was listening to the Eagles LP because of its birthday week, and I also listened to "Get You in the Mood." I would like to add that B-side to this list! At least they had the sense to leave it off the album itself.

Freypower
06-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Some of the lyrics may be questionable but I would rather hear GYITM than Tryin', Earlybird or Nightingale, thanks.

DJ
06-18-2014, 11:38 PM
I love Nightengale and Tryin...
Get You In The Mood, hmmm not so much can't even dance to it.

GlennLover
06-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Except for the questionable lyrics that FP mentions, I like GYITM.

UndertheWire
06-19-2014, 06:44 AM
I like it, too. That's partly because it's an early Eagles song that I'd never heard but also because it's so different from their other work and it's in a style that I like. I even have a soft spot for the dodgy lyrics. It's an early appearance of a common theme in Glenn's songs - wanting a girl who loves someone else - except instead of trying to win her over with declarations of love and friendship he's promising to make her "feel so good". Before she knows it, he'll be telling her they could "Chug all night"! It may not be the most romantic approach but it has a certain youthful appeal.

ThePerfectBeast
06-25-2014, 04:36 AM
I just can't get on with "Hole in the World" , appreciate the sentiment and why it was recorded. I just don't know what it is, it just does not work for me. :(

chaim
06-25-2014, 06:03 AM
I just can't get on with "Hole in the World" , appreciate the sentiment and why it was recorded. I just don't know what it is, it just does not work for me. :(

I didn't remember that. I don't even think of it as an Eagles song. Sounds like a boy band. To me it's so disposable, lame and cold as a song that I'm tempted to go "so what?" when I hear about the hole in the world.:sad:

VAisForEagleLovers
06-25-2014, 07:13 AM
Oh, wow! Hole In the World is one of my favorites! I listen to it pretty often. It says all the things I wanted to say, and having the comfort of Eagles harmonies that no one else can reproduce makes it that much better. I know I've written on this board a few places about my feelings about that day, and for me, just about everything I believe in and stand for was attacked that day. My country, my religion, my way of life, and not in that order. There were a few songs written about that day and I like the ones I know about. Hearing our guys sing HITW helped the healing process for me. I'm not sure why, they just did, and I can't thank them enough for writing it and singing it.

Houston Debutante
06-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Teenage Jail is really bad too.

chaim
06-26-2014, 05:37 AM
Oh, wow! Hole In the World is one of my favorites! I listen to it pretty often. It says all the things I wanted to say, and having the comfort of Eagles harmonies that no one else can reproduce makes it that much better. I know I've written on this board a few places about my feelings about that day, and for me, just about everything I believe in and stand for was attacked that day. My country, my religion, my way of life, and not in that order. There were a few songs written about that day and I like the ones I know about. Hearing our guys sing HITW helped the healing process for me. I'm not sure why, they just did, and I can't thank them enough for writing it and singing it.

I can appreciate the song as a comment at the time, and I'm glad if it spoke to people. I live in Finland, so of course I'm not connected to 9/11 in the same way anyway, but I was thinking about it as a more general song, not just 9/11. That kind of a song doesn't move me personally, but maybe I've been listening to Randy Newman too much.:hilarious:

sad-cafe
06-28-2014, 01:19 AM
Lyin Eyes :eek::fear:

OutlawManNJ
03-18-2016, 02:29 AM
Never understood how this is an Eagles song. Especially on their final 70s studio album which they said they worked forever on to perfect. Its weird, its sounds like crap... I just dont get it. The only connection I can make was that they were trying to ride the Amimal House wave. There is no other Eagles song as bad as this one. And Henley makes fun of Leadons I wish you peace. Go figure.

Brooke
03-18-2016, 10:08 AM
Well, I think it's better than Teenage Jail. It has a good beat, at least! :lol:

TequilaSunrise82
03-18-2016, 10:14 AM
I agree with Teenage Jail Brooke...I can't even get through that song.

UndertheWire
03-18-2016, 11:23 AM
And I think they're both better than The Disco Strangler which has no music merits whatsoever.

The Disco Strangler
03-18-2016, 11:35 AM
I think I'm the only person who likes GDWNF and DS :laugh:

AlreadyGone95
03-18-2016, 12:47 PM
I actually like Greeks and Teenage Jail. The Disco Strangler is ok, but I usually hit the skip button or move the needle over it. My vote for worst Eagles song is I Love to Watch a Woman Dance. I hit skip within 10 seconds of it starting. *ducks and runs away from my fellow Frey fans*

Brooke
03-18-2016, 02:27 PM
AG, you aren't the only one!

I guess if I were making a list of worst songs it would be:

1. Teenage Jail
2. Disco Strangler
3. I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
4. Greeks

All the rest I can tolerate.

WalshFan88
03-18-2016, 02:34 PM
I dig all of them. :D

A friend told me recently his favorite Eagles song is Teenage Jail. lol

Freypower
03-18-2016, 05:26 PM
Here is our original 'least favourite' topic.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5167

OutlawManNJ
03-18-2016, 05:29 PM
I actually like Greeks and Teenage Jail. The Disco Strangler is ok, but I usually hit the skip button or move the needle over it. My vote for worst Eagles song is I Love to Watch a Woman Dance. I hit skip within 10 seconds of it starting. *ducks and runs away from my fellow Frey fans*

Ill make it even more contrversial, ill go ahead and say that i consider the Long Run to be the Eagles last studio album. That country thing they did a few years back to me is not real Eagles.

Jonny Come Lately
03-18-2016, 05:29 PM
While I agree that Greeks isn't exactly the Eagles' finest hour, I think it's definitely not their absolute worst song. It is good fun, and has a rocking groove. The surf guitar lick before the second verse is a great little moment. It's not exactly a lyrical masterpiece, but it doesn't need to be. It doesn't outstay its welcome either.

I personally really like Teenage Jail - it wouldn't be anywhere near my worst Eagles songs. I love the heavy riff, synth solo and the guitar solo. It also strongly appeals to my sense of humour. It always makes me smile when I hear it.

I have to be honest when it comes to Disco Strangler and say that over time I dislike it less and less. I don't skip it when listening to The Long Run and sometimes listen to it on its own. While I still agree that it sounds 'wonky', I now think this seems more like a deliberate creative decision than a recording session gone horribly wrong. Similarly, I think the most annoying part of the vocal melody 'Look at me baby look at me I'm beautiful I'm beautiful I'm somebody' is meant to be annoying - without condoning the actions of The Disco Strangler himself, I don't think we are meant to sympathise with the woman in the song.

This is probably as good a time as any to state my love of The Long Run album, which has grown on me immensely to the point where I actually cannot think of a record that has grown on me more. It used to be my least favourite of the 1970s releases, but nowadays I consider it to be my fourth favourite Eagles album. The music, lyrics and general dark feel of the record come together to, and I can't argue with most of the songs. This album produced the title track, ICTYW, In The City, Heartache and Those Shoes, plus the greatly underrated The Sad Café and King Of Hollywood. Given that I love TJ, that leaves only two weaker songs, both of which are short (both are under three minutes in length). I think most rock bands would kill for such a line up of songs, especially for a supposedly 'disappointing' album. In my opinion, Tusk from the same year is a weaker set of songs and has a couple of stinkers I genuinely dislike and never listen to - I feel the same way about The Ledge that many Borderers feel about Disco Strangler, for instance.

ILTWAWD isn't one of my absolute favourites from LROOE, but if I'm in the mood for it I do enjoy it. The only real problems are that it just doesn't feel like an Eagles song and I also think it is a bit out of place on the more rock-orientated second disc of LROOE in between Last Good Time In Town and Business As Usual. However, it is the only song I don't love from disc two of that album.

As for my genuine least favourites, there really aren't many. That's one reason why I am such a big Eagles fan! :laugh: I really like all the songs on Hotel California, Desperado and On The Border, and would never think about skipping any of their tracks. I never skip any tracks when listening to the debut album either, although I could live without Nightingale, and do listen to The Long Run from start to finish without skipping too.

One Of These Nights is a different matter, as I Wish You Peace is definitely one of my least favourites. It's a sweet sentiment, but it does nothing for me musically apart from Bernie's solo, which was partially buried under the strings, which I really don't like. Visions isn't great either (I don't hate Felder's vocal, but it doesn't help, nor do the clunky lyrics) although I don't skip it. There are 2-3 tracks I am not that crazy about from LROOE - I'm afraid I just can't get excited about What Do I Do With My Heart, and I have mixed feelings about Fast Company, although that one I think is just about in my good books. There is so much other music on the two discs that I like though so I don't worry about this. From HFO, LWKUA is another one I don't like that much. I didn't used to like TGFY that much, but I think it's grown on me a bit. Ironically I think I may have Don to thank, as Cass County gave me more of an appreciation of more traditional country music as opposed to country rock. I love the two other new songs from that album. I don't like Funky New Year much either, but I have not heard that one for a long time.

Freypower
03-18-2016, 05:35 PM
Ill make it even more contrversial, ill go ahead and say that i consider the Long Run to be the Eagles last studio album. That country thing they did a few years back to me is not real Eagles.

OK.... we might need a separate topic on that, perhaps, but I think describing the LROOE album as 'country' doesn't really describe the wide variety of music to be found on it. I think it's a shame you say it's not 'real Eagles' when the final lineup all appear on it. It's a sweeping statement. I would say that perhaps some of the songs do sound more like solo songs than Eagles songs, if you wish to put it that way, and I certainly would have liked a breakdown of who plays on which track.

OutlawManNJ
03-18-2016, 05:37 PM
I think both teenage jail and disco strangler are interesting songs. Teenage has some cool solos....and disco has some nice guitar work also, tho notba bg fan of Dons vocals on that. Greeks on the other hand is a mess that sounds nithing like the eagles.

travlnman2
03-18-2016, 10:10 PM
I think the worst Eagles song is the original Victim Of Love with Felder singing :nahnah:

Just kidding I like them all

GlennLover
03-18-2016, 11:29 PM
Hate Disco Strangler.
Like Teenage Jail.
Really like GDWNF.
Love ILTWAWD.

NOLA
03-18-2016, 11:31 PM
I really do like all of these songs, because they're all deeper tracks on The Long Run. Of the three, TJ is probably my favorite. Don's voice drops to a snarling whisper before climbing back up to full volume where it then trades off with Glenn in a near monotone. I think it's a great duet.

I like DS only because Don is on lead. However, his voice sounds a bit strained to me. But, considering he was near the point of burnout, I'm not surprised at the quality of the vocals.

Lastly, TGDWNF is nothing but a silly frat boy song. IMO, it may have broke some of the tension faced during the grueling recording sessions. Maybe it was good for the band to just cut loose and have some fun at that time.

Funk 50
03-19-2016, 09:32 AM
OK.... we might need a separate topic on that, perhaps, but I think describing the LROOE album as 'country' doesn't really describe the wide variety of music to be found on it. I think it's a shame you say it's not 'real Eagles' when the final lineup all appear on it. It's a sweeping statement. I would say that perhaps some of the songs do sound more like solo songs than Eagles songs, if you wish to put it that way, and I certainly would have liked a breakdown of who plays on which track.

A breakdown would certainly help. I can't help feeling that a lot of the music on Long Road Out Of Eden is played by support band. I wouldn't call it a country album either.

The worst Eagles song is something I never have any doubts about. No hesitation naming Born To Boogie and I'd rather listen to that than One of These Nights (Intro) but I don't count that as a song.

I like Greeks Don't Want No Freaks. The lyrics are fine, apart from the "barfing" reference, catchy chorus, great rhythm track, including the guitar and it has that wonderful surf guitar lick from Joe.

Sure it wouldn't have made the Hotel California cut but it's fine towards the end of The Long Run when short and snappy seems to be the type of song required. :partytime:

OutlawManNJ
03-19-2016, 10:38 AM
I also hate that greeks abrubtly cuts into teenage jail

03-19-2016, 12:32 PM
It seems to me that the title of this thread should have a question mark after it since what is the worst Eagles song is purely subjective - there seems to be little agreement among us here to be able to declare it the band's worst song.

I don't hate any Eagles song, but if I had to pick one that I consider the worst, it would have to be highly-repetitive, musically-challenged The Disco Strangler. However, for me personally, Earlybird and Take the Devil rank up there too, although I'm sure not everyone would agree with me.

As far as Teenage Jail, while I agree that this is not the band’s best work, neither do I think it is horrible. I actually like the way the vocals, lyrics, and guitars effectively create a “teenage jail”.

I, like several others here, actually like Greeks. While it won't make my 'Best of' compilation, I think the song is fun and clever and musically, it rocks.

And for me, I Love To Watch a Woman Dance doesn't even come close to making my 'worst' list. I adore it, plain and simple.

Funk 50
03-19-2016, 05:29 PM

It sounds great on vinyl, OutlawManNJ, which was how it was originally meant to be heard. There are a few Eagles intros and outros that should have been cleaned up for the digital releases. Outlaw Man being one of them. imo.

I've actually doctored the Teenage Jail fade out so I no longer get that abrupt ending on random play.

I also, somehow, improved I Love To Watch A Woman Dance by subtly adding 15secs to the track time. I've forgotten exactly how I did it but I hear the original now and I curse myself for playing the wrong version. :woah:

WalshFan88
03-19-2016, 06:22 PM
I'd rank the mentioned songs as such:

Teenage Jail
Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
I Love To Watch a Woman Dance
The Disco Strangler

TDS is my least favorite. I can listen to it but to me it's not that it was a bad record, I think it was at least somewhat intentional, a pisstake so to speak on their being known for musical perfection.

I actually enjoy Teenage Jail the more I listen to it, I love the haunting riff and Greeks is just a part song. I wouldn't consider ILTWAWD to be in the worst songs list but I honestly prefer Jail and Greeks over it. I prefer it over TDS though.

I think for some reason Funky New Year should be in this list too, lol. I'd put it above TDS and but less than ILTWAWD.

Freypower
03-19-2016, 10:17 PM
It seems to me that the title of this thread should have a question mark after it since what is the worst Eagles song is purely subjective - there seems to be little agreement among us here to be able to declare it the band's worst song.

I don't hate any Eagles song, but if I had to pick one that I consider the worst, it would have to be highly-repetitive, musically-challenged The Disco Strangler. However, for me personally, Earlybird and Take the Devil rank up there too, although I'm sure not everyone would agree with me.

As far as Teenage Jail, while I agree that this is not the band’s best work, neither do I think it is horrible. I actually like the way the vocals, lyrics, and guitars effectively create a “teenage jail”.

I, like several others here, actually like Greeks. While it won't make my 'Best of' compilation, I think the song is fun and clever and musically, it rocks.

And for me, I Love To Watch a Woman Dance doesn't even come close to making my 'worst' list. I adore it, plain and simple.

I have always agreed with you on these points, except that I like Take The Devil more than you do. About ILTWAWD, there are a few of us who love it, and we must be content with that.

My own personal least favourites are STILL Visions, I Wish You Peace, Love Will Keep Us Alive, Please Come Home For Christmas & increasingly The Long Run, in which I realise I am alone.

Tori
03-20-2016, 12:50 AM
Personal dislikes that come to mind right away for me:
Visions
Earlybird (cannot stand this one)
Chug All Night - but even though it's not a favorite of mine, I love the "I'm wired for sound, are you wired for light?" line as a theatre technician. ;)

As for the tracks on TLR that tend to be disliked (Teenage Jail, Disco Strangler, Greeks)... I used to not like them as much but they grew on me a bit. I have to be in a certain mood for them, I guess.

ILTWAWD wasn't really my thing the first couple listens but it grew on me rapidly in the past couple years. It strangely became very cathartic to listen to post-January 18th.

chaim
03-20-2016, 04:49 AM

I've said this before, but I think Greeks was ruined for me the same way some of McCartney's songs were ruined on Magical Mystery tour - including the extra songs on the full LP version: bad sequencing.

Teenage Jail is very atmospheric - you get into this dark mood. The song ends with what in my opinion is a fantastic (and crazy!) solo from Felder. I'm somewhere in a dark world filled with black humor, and then comes this light rock'n'roll riff. I think it's the sequencing that ruins Greeks for me - more than the song itself.

Look at Magical Mystery Tour - the LP version:

Blue Jay Way (very atmospheric)
Your Mother Should Know (very light)

I Am The Walrus (very atmospheric)
Hello Goodbye (very light)
When you're listening to the CD, HG comes right after IATW!!

Strawberry Fields Forever (very atmospheric)
Penny Lane (rather light, although somewhat quirky)

I don't think any of those McCartney songs are bad, and two of them are excellent, but they follow such atmospheric songs that they're bound to sound lame (to my ears).

03-20-2016, 11:17 AM
Interesting chaim - for me, I enjoy the juxtaposition between atmospheric and light songs. I'm just one that happens to like a lot of variety and diversity on an album ... it's what keeps it interesting for me. That's one reason I love the Eagles so much.

jms18222
03-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Visions as worst song.

Interesting views on Long Road. I agree it really isn't a cohesive package however Waiting in the Weeds, in my humble opinion, is Henley's finest work.

GlennLover
03-21-2016, 11:31 PM
I'm not crazy about Visions either. It & Disco Strangler are the only Eagles songs that didn't make it to my iPod.

WS82Classics
05-11-2016, 10:07 PM
"Nightingale" is a bit too much of a fluff piece for me. No substance whatsoever. Gets the skip from me every time.

The original studio version of "Saturday Night" simply does not excite me at all, though I do really like the version that appears on the "Eagles Live" album. I also don't especially think "Doolin-Dalton" and "Desperado" needed a reprise. Same sentiment goes for Wasted Time's reprise, though I don't mind that particular one at all.

"Teenage Jail" is pure suckage, and is right up there with "Nightingale" as the Eagles song I ALWAYS push skip on.

"Love Will Keep Us Alive" is a bad parody of every saccharine love song you hear on the radio these days. Paints such an un-realistic portrait of love. I cannot stand that one at all.

Outside of the amazing "How Long," I haven't listened to enough of "Long Road Out of Eden" to form an impression of most of the album's songs.

The Silk Scarf Monkey
06-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Is Born to Boogie already mentioned?

Funk 50
06-24-2016, 10:57 AM
TSSM, Born To Boogie is the illegitimate offspring that's chained up in the basement that nobody ever mentions :wink:

AlreadyGone95
06-24-2016, 11:42 AM
TSSM, Born To Boogie is the illegitimate offspring that's chained up in the basement that nobody ever mentions :wink:

It must be because I've never heard of it. Dare I ask its origins?

thelastresort
06-24-2016, 11:43 AM
It must be because I've never heard of it. Dare I ask its origins?

B-side of Take It Easy. Never released on a studio album, but did make the (incredibly underwhelming) Selected Works boxset.

AlreadyGone95
06-24-2016, 12:08 PM
B-side of Take It Easy. Never released on a studio album, but did make the (incredibly underwhelming) Selected Works boxset.

Ah, OK. If I ever get the Take It Easy 45 single, I'll be sure to only listen to the A-side.

UndertheWire
06-24-2016, 01:44 PM
It's an outtake on Selected Works - just the band messing around.

The B-side of "Take it Easy" is "Get You in the Mood" and isn't available on any album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cBuNuXFSz8

Annoying Twit
06-24-2016, 02:58 PM

I hadn't heard "Born to Boogie" before. It's on spotify as part of the collected works. Is it too late to change my vote for worst Eagles song ever? I think I prefer 'He Broke His Toe' to 'Born to Boogie'.

thelastresort
06-24-2016, 03:17 PM
It's an outtake on Selected Works - just the band messing around.

The B-side of "Take it Easy" is "Get You in the Mood" and isn't available on any album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cBuNuXFSz8

Ah, sorry for the incorrect info! I knew the B-side was an obscure song, I just got the wrong one!

Re: your first point, I meant the boxset in general is rather underwhelming. It seems randomly pieced-together and one of the four CDs genuinely strikes me as the worst combination of Eagles work imaginable. I suppose the A Night to Remember disk isn't too bad, but the other three aren't amazing.

Jonny Come Lately
06-24-2016, 06:25 PM
Born To Boogie, while hardly a masterpiece, I don't feel deserves any real hate because I think it's clearly meant to be a joke - just listen to Glenn's vocals! Although I wouldn't go as far as describing it as a good song, I think it's actually a pretty funny parody of ZZ Top's La Grange. The only mistake was releasing it on Selected Works on the same disc as classics like Hotel California and LITFL, if it had been an outtakes disc or something like that I wouldn't mind at all. I really don't think when they originally recorded it they had any intention of releasing it, so I don't consider it to be among my least favourite Eagles songs. Admittedly I don't own Selected Works, so I don't think about this often (I don't bother with compilation/greatest hits albums if I like a band enough to want to buy all their albums).

Get You In The Mood is a completely different song and in my opinion is at least worth a listen, especially if Glenn is your favourite vocalist. I don't find myself thinking 'why didn't they put this on an album' the way do I with say Led Zeppelin's Hey Hey What Can I Do but I find it solid and likeable - it's different from anything on the debut album and is overall a pretty decent attempt at an R&B song. Happily, it is available for download on EOC, so here's the link:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/multimediafunstuffaudio.htm

Funk 50
06-25-2016, 07:18 AM
I hadn't heard "Born to Boogie" before. It's on spotify as part of the collected works. Is it too late to change my vote for worst Eagles song ever? I think I prefer 'He Broke His Toe' to 'Born to Boogie'.

I made a mini-disc (remember those?) of the Soul Pole highlights, I think the first track was Under Arrest. I'm not sure if Born To Boogie made the cut. He Broke His Toe, probably did. :-D
Born To Boogie, according to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selected_Works:_1972%E2%80%931999, is a Hank Williams Jnr track. I thought they just made it up. :razz:

Annoying Twit
06-25-2016, 11:10 AM
I made a mini-disc (remember those?) of the Soul Pole highlights, I think the first track was Under Arrest. I'm not sure if Born To Boogie made the cut. He Broke His Toe, probably did. :-D
Born To Boogie, according to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selected_Works:_1972%E2%80%931999, is a Hank Williams Jnr track. I thought they just made it up. :razz:

I haven't heard the Soul Pole 'highlights', though I guess the bits and pieces on the box set are from them.

Searching on youtube didn't help either. I did find this video claiming that the Eagles are satanists, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJhqCGtPkyk

Freypower
06-25-2016, 09:06 PM

Wikipedia is wrong. The Hank Williams Jr song is different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmMILaTCOT8

Jonny Come Lately
06-26-2016, 03:51 AM
Wikipedia is wrong. The Hank Williams Jr song is different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmMILaTCOT8

Yes, you don't have to listen very far into the song to realise that it's completely different from the Eagles track and unlike the Eagles song, the Hank Williams Jr song is not a novelty song - it was the title track of one of his albums and went to number 1 on the country charts, whereas Born To Boogie was only included on one compilation album. The lyrics are completely different. However, the biggest giveaway is that the latter song was released in 1987 - given that the Eagles track was an outtake from The Long Run, it cannot possibly the same song. In fact, you only have to click on the link to Born To Boogie from the Selected Works page to find this anachronism.

Regarding the Selected Works Wikipedia page, I have had a look back through the previous revisions over the last six months or so. Prior to 31 January thisy ear, no writer was cited for Born To Boogie when one user re-formatted the track listing section and incorrectly added that Hank Williams Jr wrote the track:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Selected_Works:_1972%E2%80%931999&direction=next&oldid=700871081

By contrast, the revision on 21 January this year with the previous track listing format does not credit a writer for Born To Boogie, only that it was a Long Run outtake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Selected_Works:_1972%E2%80%931999&direction=next&oldid=700870639

I trust EOC more than I trust Wikipedia (which in fairness is usually a useful resource, the only problem is that misinformation can easily become widely quoted 'fact') and it credits the five members of The Long Run era line up as the writers of Born To Boogie:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/eagles/selworks/borntoboogie.htm

As for the Hank Williams Jr song, here's another performance of the song with Lynyrd Skynyrd from 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVaIRdtI7XI

Funk 50
06-26-2016, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the great detective work Freypower and Jonny Come Lately.

I checked the BMI and Ascap websites to get accurate songwriting info but I didn't find a mention for Born To Boogie.

Another Selected Works / Soul Pole track One Of These Nights Intro is credited to Henley. Frey, Felder, Walsh, Schmit, even though it was recorded before Joe and Tim joined Eagles.

Wikipedia has, more accurately but incorrectly, Glenn and Don as the songwriters. :crazy:
Can't argue with Felder's writing credit but I'm not surprised that he keeps quiet about it though. :blush:

I think the Soul Pole tracks, are credited to the 5 Eagles, circa 2000 when Selected Works was released, except Random Victims Part 3 which is also credited to Szymczyk, William Frank. :smile:

The Silk Scarf Monkey
06-28-2016, 03:23 PM
That’s the only logical explanation :smile:

@Jonny Come Lately I knew Born to Boogie was kind of a joke. Just looking at how the song ends with how the pope should boogie as well as every grandmother… it’s GOT to be a joke. It’s just a fun song, but that doesn’t make it any better for me. In fact, I’m totally OK with having this as my worst Eagles song, rather than “disliking” a song that Don and Glenn would take seriously or even favor!

sodascouts
06-29-2016, 09:59 PM
"Born to Boogie" is lame, but it's just a joke. If you want to count it as your least favorite song, feel free - but don't think it was a serious effort at quality music.

WalshFan88
06-29-2016, 10:05 PM
I dig Born To Boogie, in the sense that it isn't a serious song. No more serious than some of the other random cuts.

I love how it's a play on ZZ Top's "La Grange", lol. Also similar to The Rolling Stones's "Shake Your Hips".

OntheBorder74
07-08-2016, 11:46 AM
"

"Love Will Keep Us Alive" is a bad parody of every saccharine love song you hear on the radio these days. Paints such an un-realistic portrait of love. I cannot stand that one at all.

I agree with you on Love Will Keep Us Alive, its far too cliche ridden and not close enough to the darker, cynical lyrics of their hits which were more gritty and realistic

Actually quite like Teenage Jail, the big one I struggle with is Last Resort which is just bloated and dosen't have the nuances and little shifts that kept Lyin Eyes from being too long. I always think in the Zeppellin manner of if you have a long 6 minute plus song it has to have several shifts in either pace, mood or genre otherwise it almost without exception loses your interest and full engagement

sodascouts
07-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Actually quite like Teenage Jail, the big one I struggle with is Last Resort which is just bloated and dosen't have the nuances and little shifts that kept Lyin Eyes from being too long. I always think in the Zeppellin manner of if you have a long 6 minute plus song it has to have several shifts in either pace, mood or genre otherwise it almost without exception loses your interest and full engagement.

I'm another one of the few who doesn't think "The Last Resort" is absolutely brilliant. It's not my least favorite by any means because it has a lot of really good moments, but I think it's overrated - although for different reasons than you gave.

First, though, the positives: the first verse is quite poetic, as are several other phrases throughout. The instrumentation is beautiful and the arrangement at the end is effectively dramatic.

Another positive: the line "There is no more new frontier; we have got to make it here" has always stood out to me as very insightful. Many of the song's "morals of the story" are easy to see coming, but that line surprised me in a good way because he's including himself in a group that needs to work together to make the world a better place rather than looking down on others. Unfortunately, the lines that follow include the ironic use of "we" where you don't really include yourself in the group; it's reduced to a rhetorical device. However, those following lines don't diminish the power of the one that preceded them for me. That line is sung with a personal conviction that the more condescending lines lack.

On the down side: as alluded to previously, much of the song's "lessons" are predictable (imperialism is bad, evangelism is bad, commercial development is bad, etc) and much of it is terribly self-righteous. Thus, despite its many strengths, the song overall doesn't do much for me.

07-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Well - I'm going to partially quote what I wrote in this thread back in 2014 because I haven't changed my opinion at all ...

sodascouts
07-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Oh dear, have I repeated myself? That's the problem with old revived threads. I forget what I've already said.

ETA: Just went back and checked out my old post. I have said something new... I'm bothered by more than just the last verse, but my tone overall is more positive. That makes me feel better. ;)

07-09-2016, 01:43 PM
Hey Soda - I wouldn't stress over it too much. When you've been around talking about this band and their music as long as we have, you're bound to repeat yourself. :lol:

L101
07-09-2016, 02:12 PM

I have to agree with you here Dreamer - I've always loved The Last Resort. Yeah, it's a bit preachy but that was Don in the 70's and the lyrics are still true, especially today.... but the melody, the music and how he builds up the vocals and the song to that brilliant ending are just fantastic and even more so, as I finally heard it live when he played here last week - he said he wouldn't be able to do it justice without an orchestra, but the band proved him wrong - they were amazing and so was Don :grin:

WS82Classics
07-09-2016, 10:41 PM
'Last Resort' is a very good piece of music.

Lyrically, the first 2 verses(of 3 in all) are great. I'll cop, however, to having a certain uncomfortability when I try to sing along to the 3rd one, given how I was raised and the way I try to live my own life. The last line, though, may well be the best of the whole song...

"You call some place paradise? Kiss it goodbye!"

So true. So much of what people consider paradise(and, by extension, beautiful) in this world is very fleeting. Like flash-paper, it's gone in a relative instant. That's all I have to say on that...

To me, LWKUA would sound a lot better if Bernie Leadon were singing it--Only he could milk those corn-ball lyrics for all they're worth. "Nightingale" and "Teenage Jail" are simply beyond any hope of saving.