PDA

View Full Version : SSE Hydro, Glasgow 31/05/2014

UndertheWire
06-01-2014, 07:28 AM
A short review from Saturday's show:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents/music/review-the-eagles-sse-hydro-glasgow.1401603913

with a truly exceptional reading of Take it to the Limit bringing part one to a close.
(Just highlighting that because it echoes my feelings from Birmingham.)

It sounds like this is another reviewer who left after the first encore:

Life in the Fast Lane and Hotel California brought the thing to a truly triumphant conclusion.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Shame the guy isn't smart enough to spell Glenn's name correctly...

A nice photo someone snuck in at the end...
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/HOTE/Europe/glasgow/1_zps041f41ed.jpg

Glennsallnighter
06-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Lovely pic VA. Why oh why do they get people who are obviously not fans to review gigs? Any fan worth their salt knows Desperado is the last song!!! :brickwall:

GlennLover
06-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Here's a nice review actually quoting fans' reactions http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/entertainment/music/the-fans-verdict-the-eagles-sse-hydro-glasgow.1401623707

There is a photo & I assume that it is from that concert as Don & Glenn are wearing the same thing as in the photo posted above. You can never be sure as a lot of publications don't use a picture taken at the show being reviewed.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-01-2014, 11:11 AM
You can't always trust the tweets by the fans, either. There was one guy last week that commented on the concert. I forget the words he used, but it was like he was posting a picture as proof that he was there, and it was a picture from the Jazz Fest from 2012.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-01-2014, 02:48 PM
I'm assuming this comment is from last night's show:

Glenn Frey on Joe Walsh 'the only man to see the Loch Ness monster in Cincinnati'

sodascouts
06-01-2014, 03:14 PM
lol! Good to see Glenn shaking up the material a bit! Love the localization.

Lainey
06-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Amazing concert last night, Joe Walsh is my hero and he was amazing, as was session guitarist on tour with them, exceptional talent. No photos was scared of the stewards !

Wonder if they stayed in the City (no pun!) or went back south, our taxi driver saw their private jet at the airport.

xLx

thelastresort
06-01-2014, 03:49 PM
They're back on tomorrow night so will be somewhere in the locale at a guess. Wonder if they took in the thrills of Paisley or Dumbarton today on their day off? ;)

thelastresort
06-01-2014, 03:51 PM
As for the session guitarist; that's Steuart Smith, who in all but contract replaced Felder.

sodascouts
06-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Glad you enjoyed the show, Lainey! How cool would it be to spot an Eagle around town? Of course, the real question is, what would you do if you saw one of them walking by?

Lainey
06-01-2014, 03:52 PM
LOL....I think if Joe is here he would be visiting Frankie Miller, so wish I was going again tomorrow x

thelastresort
06-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Glad you enjoyed the show, Lainey! How cool would it be to spot an Eagle around town? Of course, the real question is, what would you do if you saw one of them walking by?

I was planning on mooching around Selfridges in Birmingham when they were here last week. Unfortunately I was knackered so went back to bed instead :hilarious:

Lainey
06-01-2014, 03:53 PM

That would depend on which one ! :makeout:

xLx

Ive always been a dreamer
06-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Welcome Lainey and glad you had a great time at the show. Hope you stick around and join in on other discussions.

Lainey
06-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Welcome Lainey and glad you had a great time at the show. Hope you stick around and join in on other discussions.

Will do, glad I found you all x

xLx

VAisForEagleLovers
06-01-2014, 06:05 PM
Yes, Lainey, welcome!!!

cattytown
06-02-2014, 02:48 AM
Hello all - first post from a newbie!

For that ET article they could have found fans from a little further afield - we were there and are from Lancashire!

We were Eagles virgins and the tickets were my Christmas presents for my wife. A comment was made when we saw the histry documentary that it would be cool to see them. Why Glasgow when we are less then an hour to Manchester? My wife works in a school, so big nights out on weekdays are not a great idea and on the first batch of dates it was the only Saturday. Glasgow is also quite convenient to get to as we live only a few minutes from a train station on the West Coast Main Line. So I added a couple of nights in a hotel and we made a (child free) weekend of it.

We quite liked Glasgow, but I am sure few of you will be interested in that!

We got to the Hydro in plenty of time, drinks & programs bought and we went to find our seats - we were very pleased - nice and central, in a position where we could see well.

The venue were clear about the use of mobiles and cameras. I am a little mixed on that - on the down side I would have liked a pic or two of the show I was at. On the up side we were not trying to watch through a sea of raised arms and cameras/phones. They were VERY sharp on speaking to people that infringed. We also found the group next to us chatting through the narrative from the bands little distracting. Given the price of tickets we were also surprised that the rather enthusiastic couple in front of us were missing as much as they were. They missed desperado!

I'll not list the set list - I am sure everyone knows the list by now.

We thoroughly enjoyed the show. From the "intimate" (in a venue that size!) start set in a rehearsal room all the way through. I am struggling to think of highlights and low lights - we just enjoyed the whole thing. The only thing that would have improved it for my wife would have been adding "Boys of summer".

we are tempted to check for ticket availability in June in Manchester!

Paul.

Glennsallnighter
06-02-2014, 03:57 AM
Great review Paul and welcome. Why don't you try June in Liverpool! or perhaps this weekend in Dublin?

UndertheWire
06-02-2014, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the review, Paul. Manchester sounds like a good plan. Or maybe you're due another weekend break in London.

cattytown
06-02-2014, 04:35 AM
At a quick check this morning, it looks like a follow up isn't going to happen - The tickets were not cheap at face value so I am not going to pay more. Dublin would be expensive - we have done the "big trip" to see them. Reallistically it would be Liverpool, Manchester or Leeds at a push.

Paul.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Welcome, Paul! I'm so glad you had a good time at the show! I hope you can see them again. Believe me, you'll notice things that you missed the first time!

thelastresort
06-02-2014, 07:48 AM
Welcome Cattytown from a fellow Lancastrian :D Never in my life did I think someone would mention the West Coast Main Line on here :hilarious:
Glad to hear you had a good time. It would be good if they slipped a Don H. and Glenn solo song back into the setlist (presumably between The Long Run stuff and Joe's songs) - I too love Boys of Summer and the guys pull it off so well.

cattytown
06-02-2014, 09:49 AM
I don't doubt that a show will be different - the venue would be different, the rest of the audience, and band members may be in a different mood.

I keep remembering things from Saturday - Don mentioning (without naming) Robert Plant, Bernie changing his shirt for the finale to one that said "sober", Joe Walsh refusing to take himself seriously and clowning around, the fact that they are no spring chickens but voices were on form. Friends posting about the boy band they had been seeing doing 90 minutes :-)

I think traveling rather than a more local venue added hugely to it being an event.

I have had Hotel California as an earworm today :-)

I'll be looking at options, but my wife doesn't do heights, so quite a lot of the space in a modern arena isn't good for her.

Thanks for the welcome.

Paul.

Glennsallnighter
06-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Well a few of us are going to Liverpool Paul, so hopefully you might be there.

sodascouts
06-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Welcome, Paul! Thanks for the review and good luck finding another show to go to!

WalshFan88
06-02-2014, 08:25 PM
HC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GscDhA86o2E&list=UUqfxhpuVQQeQS719COmUjKw

Ive always been a dreamer
06-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Welcome from me too, Paul. Thanks for your comments about the show and I'll cross my fingers that you will figure out how to see another show. Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

eaglesfan12
06-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Just new to this board so hello.
Concert was brilliant yesterday.guy on top form and enjoying themselfs

as for band they were stayin in glasgow. Don was seen walking around glasgow.

Brooke
06-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Paul and ef12, glad you had a great time seeing the guys! Here's hoping you get to go again!

And welcome to the Border!

sodascouts
06-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Welcome!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2014, 07:49 PM
EaglesFan12, I moved your post to the 6/02 thread, since those amazing pictures were from that show. Thank you for posting them.

eaglesfan12
06-04-2014, 04:04 AM
Ok thank u.