PDA

View Full Version : London 18 June 2014

thelastresort
06-18-2014, 07:51 PM
Wow. Absolutely mesmerised by what I saw last night. Glenn was on fire, literally everything was spot on faultless. Joe was mad as ever, and Bernie was about ten times better than any 1970s video I've seen of him. TBS sounded a bit weary and ICTYW wasn't as powerful as for example F1, but that's irrelevant in the bigger picture. Genuinely feel honoured to have seen and heard what I did last night. Best night I've had in ages (perhaps years) and worth £125 with ease. God bless the Eagles!

thelastresort
06-18-2014, 07:52 PM
should add, sorry if the formatting is horrendous, my phone doesn't take a fancy to this website :(

VAisForEagleLovers
06-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Niall Horan of One Direction was at last night's show and here's some of his tweets:

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/HOTE/Europe/london/Niall_zps9454d8d4.jpg

The instagram picture was extremely blurry.

SilverMoon
06-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Paul Carrack posted this photo on Facebook today with the caption:

PC and Timothy B Schmit at the O2 Arena
Timothy has such a sweet smile! :heart:

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y502/SilverMoon333/Album%20x/90_zps6a3a8158.jpg?t=1403142960

MaryCalifornia
06-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Thanks, SM! Goatee is gone!

cjhill
06-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Well if the reviews from last nights shows arent complimentary i dont know what they have to do. That was awesome!

3 hrs of hit after hit. Everyone was on great form and they appeared to be having a ball up there.
To be able to play all those songs note perfect from start to finish just like they are on the album is a huge skill.
It was great to see them perform a full set, the harmonies were amazing.

As all good concerts do, this one flew by despite the fact they played nearly 30 songs. I really think Steuart Smith doesn't get as much recognition as he should sometimes, he is (along with Glenn, Joe, Don, Bernie and Timothy of course) a really great guitarist.

They say that the only thing that can spoil a concert are the other fans in the audience. Unfortunately i happened to be sat right by a rather eccentric woman who would not stop screaming after each song before breaking into a coughing fit! Her Husband nearly had to drag her out because he "thought she was going to die":laugh: She was enjoying herself though and calmed down towards the end. I sure wasn't going to let it spoil my enjoyment.

Definitely a complete sell out, not one spare seat in the house, amazing!

Dayvaux
06-19-2014, 07:38 AM
One of the 'reviews' I read criticised the note perfect performances. IMHO how can you improve on Lyin Eyes or Hotel California anyway ? To be playing ANY music of that standard after 42 years is a massive achievement.

Perhaps they would get more recognition if they lip synched, and changed costumes every few songs.

In fact the only negative comment from Mrs D was "I see their dress sense hasn't improved"

thelastresort
06-19-2014, 08:09 AM
Back at uni now so here ya go:

Obviously nothing has changed on the setlist. Don sounded a little bit off on Saturday Night, but of course it was their first song and is quite flat in itself. Don joked after the song before Bernie emerged that he forgot what album it came from; then said 'Alright, we got some valley rats in!' when someone cheered when he mentioned the valley Bud's was in. There's definitely accordion and mandolin backing on SN, additional percussion on PEF and perhaps some keyboards on WW too. Not that any of that is against them!

Timothy's harmonica on Doolin-Dalton was perfect, he can really play it well. Earned himself a huge cheer too! D-D/D Reprise was perfect, probably one of my favourite songs of the night, just a shame that they've seem to cut the outro a bit from the album version.

I love the video intro to On the Border, the timing was dead on from 'We wanted to rock harder' to Bernie and Joe starting the intro (amazing background video too!). Glenn told the story of the one woman requesting BOML that sparked a nationwide surge before doing the old 'everything fast' and 'plaintiff' jokes before Lyin' Eyes. TITTL came with the usual Randy shoutout (though I can't remember if Glenn mentioned him being unwell specifically, just that he couldn't make it) and it got a huge cheer.

As I said last night, TBS sounded a bit weak on ICTYW but the solo was as beautiful as ever. New Kid in Town was faultless. I want some of what Glenn has for breakfast, he must be having some good stuff to keep going like he does, especially on vocals. TBS did the lights up thing pre-LWKUA (I think it was, it may have been ICTYW), and did a shoutout to Paul Carrick, who was in the audience. Glenn then did the 'great idea ... that happens a lot line' pre-Heartache Tonight, which was absolutely wonderful, I love it! Those Shoes was a bit more average but I loved the recycling of the BBF video in the background, and the dark, mystical lighting. Joe revived the helmet cam for LBG, and I loved the messing about with Glenn pre-Funk #49. Don gave a long speech pre-TLR about Miama and how wrecked he was over the course of it, before doing shoutouts to Eric Clapton and the Bee Gees. Life in the Fast Lane was wonderful (during which I noticed just how good the extra percussionist is, he was on it!).

Hotel California got a huge cheer at the start, and an even bigger one at the end. Glenn did his usual acknowledgement of Bernie pre-Take It Easy, and a very specific moment of my life was fulfilled when I saw Glenn and TBS sing the Winslow, Arizone line live; it was just the icing on an amazing cake. RMW was a bit meh (I really don't like it all truth be told, certainly as an encore) and Don delivered Desperado beautifully (practically everyone sang the 'Let somebody love you' line!).

All in all an amazing, amazing experience. Can't wait for Liverpool next and I desperately, desperately, desperately hope this isn't the last time they venture on this side of the Atlantic.

thelastresort
06-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Also a wonderfully random question - I bought a T-shirt from Merchandise last night, turns out it's a bit tight. There'd be no chance of an exchange with the same company at a different venue would there?

Brooke
06-19-2014, 09:56 AM
tlr, wonderful review! Thanks so much! I'm glad you had such an awesome time ! But I knew you would!

Dayveau and cj, thanks for your comments too! The Eagles just do not disappoint! They are fabulous! Every time!

thelastresort
06-19-2014, 10:07 AM
I should also add I was blown away by Bernie. I knew he was a decent guitarist but he absolutely nailed PEF, Lyin Eyes and TIE, and plays rhythm with an unbelievable amount of ease. He's so laid back it's untrue!

thelastresort
06-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Further, I emailed about my T-shirt. If it's still in a wearable state they'll exchange it... in London. Might have me a late afternoon trip to the Capital tomorrow. Thank God for free staff travel!

Brooke
06-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Great for you, tlr!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-19-2014, 03:23 PM
I've been told that there was no announcement for this show regarding being seated or photos. Photos were allowed with no flash.

thelastresort
06-19-2014, 04:05 PM
There wasn't - photos were also allowed before / during the break / after with no flash; as a guard specifically warned me about despite me not using flash. Berk.

sodascouts
06-19-2014, 04:20 PM
How I love reading fan reviews! I'm so glad everyone is having such a great time. The Eagles really know how to bring it!

Welcome, Dayvaux!

Ed
06-19-2014, 05:26 PM
What time are these O2 gigs kicking off?? Cheers.

cjhill
06-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Eagles come on stage at 20:00
Interval 21:05
Back on stage 21:20
End 23:00

If you are planning on eating there get there about 4:30-5 to leave enough time because there will be quite a wait for a table no matter what restaurant you go for.

Dayvaux
06-20-2014, 03:27 AM
Welcome, Dayvaux!

Thank you - pleased to be here

StephUK
06-22-2014, 04:32 PM
I've been told that there was no announcement for this show regarding being seated or photos. Photos were allowed with no flash.

The electronic notice above the door to the arena said 'no photography during tonights performance'.
I don't know where your seats were Va & Thelastresort, but we were in the front row & there was certainly no photos allowed down there. Security were telling people to put cameras/mobile phones away all through the show.
Same on Friday night when we were in 4th row.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-22-2014, 04:39 PM
The electronic notice above the door to the arena said 'no photography during tonights performance'.
I don't know where your seats were Va & Thelastresort, but we were in the front row & there was certainly no photos allowed down there. Security were telling people to put cameras/mobile phones away all through the show.
Same on Friday night when we were in 4th row.

Steph, I wasn't there! I have friends who were there for those shows, in the first few rows, and that's what they told me. They said there were announcements and not on the big screens like the previous shows.

Glennsallnighter
06-23-2014, 03:57 AM
I did not bring my camera any of the last 3 shows. However instead of switching my phone off for the second half in London I appear to have accidentally hit the 'record' button on the voice recorder of my phone. :partytime:

sodascouts
06-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Excellent!

Brooke
06-24-2014, 09:52 AM
You silly girl! :lol:

secret squirrel
06-24-2014, 10:33 AM
I did not bring my camera any of the last 3 shows. However instead of switching my phone off for the second half in London I appear to have accidentally hit the 'record' button on the voice recorder of my phone. :partytime:

Oh dear. That's such a shame. Those pesky phones.

A woman next to me on Friday (Level 1) managed to video One of These Nights and another track simply by keeping her camera hidden. Hope that they come out. Security didn't seem too fussed over those of us who were further away.

Friday was great too but no time to review at mo.

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/doll-by-doll-i-never-saw-movie-more.html

bashful badger
06-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Niall Horan of One Direction was at last night's show and here's some of his tweets:

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/HOTE/Europe/london/Niall_zps9454d8d4.jpg

The instagram picture was extremely blurry.

I did a short blog a while back about Niall’s love of the Eagles here - http://bashfulbadgersblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/03/will-we-see-1ds-niall-horan-naked-at-eagles-show/.
It doesn't sound like he got naked, as promised though.

Yes, Wednesday we were on the floor and in the second row but way to the left of the stage so the view wasn't as great as we’d expected. Good thing was there was a massive aisle area to the side of us before the next tier up. We’d be able to dance without getting in anyone’s way. Some hope.

Secret and I are both what I can only describe as insubordinate. We really don’t like being told what to do and when to do it, especially if there’s no good reason for the rule. We pretty soon got up to dance in the aisle, which was big enough to drive a truck up, only to be sent back to our seats because this had to be kept free ‘for health and safety’ despite the fact that a bunch of security staff were gathered there causing way more obstruction than us.

We hadn't danced till allowed to on the Monday because we would have been in the way of other people.

We sat down again. The guys behind us sympathised. I realised that, because of the acute angle we had to the stage, if I stood and danced in my place, there’s no way I could block anyone’s view. Which was what I thought was the point of the ban. Checked with the guy behind me and he confirmed I wouldn't be blocking him and urged me to go for it. I was up for about three seconds before the staff cautioned me once more. I explained that I wasn't in anyone’s way (I know that can be a pain as I'm only 5 ft 3) but was informed this was what the band wanted enforced.

They obviously didn't think they could allow any relaxation of the rule. Another lady, a kindred spirit, from the front row, tried to dance a few times and got the same heavy-handed response.

No wonder that when the ban was finally lifted, not many people felt like responding, even with Timothy hopefully gesturing us up from our seats. Of course I knew that dancing was no longer prohibited but probably many had witnessed our previous experiences and didn't dare rise. Apart from ‘Heartache’, not many of the next songs were all that danceable in any case.

But, irritatingly, when the front row stood up, they were about two foot taller than us. They'd been patently bored throughout, as were the corporate freeloaders next to us, and the tall girl in four-inch heels most reluctant to stand, but just did so because everyone else had. In fact, her partner nudged her to get her to rise. They did not move AT ALL. I don’t think either one ever even tapped a foot. But successfully blocked our view of the stage nevertheless.

I have to fill in a survey from the 02 about my experience. They may be sorry they asked.

But a good show. I would love to have heard something from Long Road though and more Bernie, less Joe.

secret squirrel
06-28-2014, 04:29 PM
Here's one pic from the night. Others won't upload at mo.

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/doll-by-doll-i-never-saw-movie-more.html

PeterM
07-30-2014, 04:38 PM
I know I am going to get torched because of this, but I cannot hold back...my disappointment. I now live in Spain and the chances of me seeing a concert from artists I love are slim and none...so I decided to spend hard-earned money to fly to London and purchase a Row H VIP seat to the "History" of the Eagles tour. I am not a casual fan...I am hard core. My first show was Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ with Boz Scaggs...the place does not even exist anymore. Then Giants Stadium with Heart and LRB, Philadelphia Spectrum (also does not exist), Atlantic City, Philadelphia again, Newark, NJ...but this, this needs to end.
This was a true fund raiser. I knew the setlist and still decided to go. "Train Leaves Here This Morning?" Other than "Earlybird", "Train" was the weakest track on the debut album! Why not "My Man?" The Bernie Leadon feature is a farce. Bernie sold out. And Glenn sends best wishes to Randy Meisner??? What a phony! Please Glenn do not sing "Limit" ever again! That song is all about the ending, it's amazing climax with those powerful harmonies building and thundering until Randy just knocked it out of the park. And the same old jokes...how long with the ex-wife "Plaintiff" joke...how many tours do we have to suffer with that? "Lyin' Eyes" was a great song...a great song, for radio as was "New Kid." They are not concert songs. We shouldn't need Joe Walsh to get all stupid to get the crowd going with that silly helmet cam...again..."Heartache Tonight" can do it, actually "Outlaw Man" can do it. How about dusting that off for your true fans? (and by the way, a great new rendition of Heartache). The Long Road Out of Eden was a masterpiece...how could that not be a part of The "History"? And Don...oh Don, my favorite...your voice was awful, you are terribly out of shape...you look and sound old. I thought you were better than that? You let Frey talk you into this until when? The best 2 singers in the group were awful that night - Timmy and Don and I have heard Don solo have a sore throat but have never heard Timothy be off. This was the worst Eagles concert ever and unless these 5 reunite with Felder and Meisner, Hell would really have to freeze over until I see them ever again. Please gentlemen, the legacy is still somewhat intact...Glenn Frey said years ago that he didn't want to be 60 years old and playing Take It Easy with a beer belly...well Glenn???

thelastresort
07-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Train Leaves Here This Morning supports the chronology of the first half of the show. Earlybird would be too complex, Twenty One would be quite an odd song to perform, and My Man has never been performed live whatsoever, it was written by Bernie as a tribute to his friend Gram Parsons. It would also be too complex as it requires, among others, steel pedal, bass and percussion if you were to make a reasonable go of it. That leaves you with Bitter Creek as the only other option, which I would prefer, but it makes it very Desperado-heavy. It's also a bit dark for the easy listening, acoustic guitar and beer set-up they talk about.

Lyin' Eyes must do something for the audience, bearing in mind to the best of my awareness it's only one of about six pre-Long Run songs that has never, ever been dropped, I don't even think Take It Easy or Desperado have that accolade. Similarly I'd be willing to bet that it's their most popular song after Hotel California, Take It Easy and Desperado, it got a huge reception at both gigs I went to and at one tribute band I saw got the biggest reaction of the night. It is also probably the best demonstration they have of their vocal harmonies, which is what landed them a record deal in the first place way back 43 years ago.

New Kid in Town is probably my favourite mainstream Eagles song, I would be devastated if I went to a gig of theirs and it was omitted, their performance of it at Washington in 1977 is my favourite live performance of anything ever. Surely if you question these two inclusions then the same eye needs casting over I Can't Tell You Why, Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise and Pretty Maids All in a Row?

I will agree I think they overplay Joe's wackiness a bit, but that's his reputation, he's the guitarist version of Keith Moon and I'm sure many of the old back in the day fans who idolised and loved him would be disappointed if he came out all quiet and only did nice, uniform songs like In The City and PMAIAR.

Leadon didn't sell out. I very strongly suspect he left with the heaviest heart (Felder's is debatable), pouring a beer over someone and disagreeing with musical direction before they were even at their zenith I suspect is easily forgiven and forgotten, especially since Leadon has apologised for his conduct.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Peter I'm sorry you have such a bad opinion of your latest concert experience. I don't care at all for most of the songs you suggested so it goes without saying I don't agree with you! I've been to ten HOTE concerts so far and loved each one. To each their own. I won't torch you...you're entitled to your opinion. I'm always surprised when someone new searches out a fan site to make such a negative comment as their first post! I'm just glad that for every fan they seem to have lost over the documentary and tour, they seem to have picked up two others.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-30-2014, 11:43 PM
Well said tlr and VA.

Peter, I won't torch you either because I absolutely respect that you have a right to your opinion. However, I am one who has also been to numerous shows because I LOVE them, so suffice it to say that I totally disagree with your comments. And one big reason that the band is still performing live shows is because, thankfully, there are a huge number of people that feel the same way many of us here feel. I think it's a safe bet to say that if the majority of the general public agreed with you, then the band would hang it up.

UndertheWire
07-31-2014, 04:49 AM
Peter, I agree with some of your points but disagree strongly on others.

On song choices, when you have such a long show with so many songs, there are going to be some that aren't my favourites but I went to the show knowing the set list and with my expectations set accordingly. I'd have loved "Outlaw Man" and "Bitter Creek" but was so please to get the other songs from Desperado. The second hlaf of the show may have been heavy on the Joe Walsh songs, but the audience loved it both times I saw the show. It may work better for those that aren't huge Eagles fans (I'm basing this on my sister who was slightly bored with the first half but really enjoyed the second).

As far as voices, it's going to vary from show to show. I don't know what they can do other than try to keep as healthy a possible. Back in November, I thought Timothy sounded really good (again, my non-fan sister went "wow!") but in May, he wasn't hitting the top notes, so I assume this was just a temporary problem. To balance that, in May, Glenn sounded really good, especially on "Take it to the Limit".

Brooke
07-31-2014, 09:43 AM
Peter, I too, am sorry you didn't enjoy the show you went to. I haven't been to as many shows as some here, but I dearly love the Eagles and they could sing the phone book and I would love it! Their songs are the soundtrack of my life! Just seeing them live in the same building as me was one of the highlights of my life! They have all always sounded wonderful to me!

And it seems like the party really starts when Joe cranks it up! With the near sell out in most arenas these days, they must be doing something right!

Go again if you can. Maybe you will change your mind!

secret squirrel
07-31-2014, 11:36 AM
Just seeing them live in the same building as me was one of the highlights of my life!

The Eagles used to live in the same building as you?? Only kidding, I know what you mean.

Again, I agree with some of Peter's comments but also that I wasn't expecting Glenn to sound as good as he did and while I'm not a particular fan of Lyin' Eyes, for instance, it's my Dad's favourite Eagles song and he totally loved it.

I've been trying to write a blog about the gigs I went to and it's very difficult because I love the Eagles but inevitably, there will be criticism in it (and quite a bit) but there were great, transcendent moments too. I do think they could do with revising the setlist but am so happy Bernie was there and that we got to hear some of those early songs although I might have chosen different ones.

SS
xx

thelastresort
07-31-2014, 02:57 PM
Yeah, that would be my problem re: criticism. Like I'm not a huge fan of The Long Run (I don't think I've ever mentioned that before :lol:) but even when I saw them do half of that album live I still loved it because I just love the band so much. Same with songs like OOTN or RMW, I wouldn't listen to them per se of my own accord, but seeing them do it is just so wonderful you forget how not bothered you really are.

Glennsallnighter
08-01-2014, 02:26 AM
No artist/group with the kind of song catalogue that the Eagles have will satisfy all of the people all of the time simply because even with their lesser known songs we all have individual favourites. I think in HOTE they have tried to present a roughly chronological progression of their work tied in with important milestones in their history. I would disagree about the songs you suggested not being 'concert songs'. To me and the people around me at 7 HOTE shows they were definitely concert songs, songs these people have known and loved, some for 40 years or more and that they were delighted to be able to hear live and sing along to. One of the criticisms of the LROOE tour was that some people felt there weren't enough of the 'old' (pre 1980?) songs on the setlist. Obviously that has been remedied with the return of many popular staples (AG, TS, etc). There are some songs I too would gave liked to see included too (How Long for example) but these guys play for well over 3 hours -a lot more than some bands are playing for, and they could play on another 2 hours or so and people would STILL not be happy with the set list!

As a matter of interest how did you find the overall VIP experience? I went with VIP nation to the Monday (16/6) show. I thought it was a complete rip off from start to finish.

WalshFan88
08-07-2014, 04:27 AM
HC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ts5zU9zYGk

PeterM
08-18-2014, 10:42 AM
Hey all:

Thanks for not "torching" me and I appreciate those who have agreed and disagreed. None of us can be totally correct about our opinions...because that is what they are 'opinions.' So we can agree to disagree. To the comment that I am new here and my first post was a bit critical...I am new here, but not a new Eagles fan as I think I established that in my review.
I appreciate the comment about why they are playing "Train..." and not my choice "My Man"...but I think the Eagles of all people could afford to have a steel pedal player poised to play MM in any city.
Anyway, that will be my last concert unless Hell Freezes Over or unless they all reunite or they decide to go out (retire) and devise a setlist purely for the diehard fans. I don't even disagree with playing some solo stuff, but why not let Timothy spread his wings and play a solo tune of his and perhaps Glenn. A little less Joe with that. I loved "Help Me Thru the Night" on HFO and am tired of hearing Rocky Mountain Way or Funk 49. They will never do this...but should take a note from (IMO) the best classic rock band still playing today - Toto. Ask your fans via your website what they want to hear. Not only that, because the catalog is so extensive, take a bunch of similar songs and bunch them together in a medley...listen or watch any of Toto's live CD/DVD's as to how they do it...it is genius.
Regards,
Peter M