PDA

View Full Version : Vocal harmony conbination variations

thelastresort
07-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Not the world's best title but it's the best and most concise I could muster. Basically, I was listening to an Eagles song the other day (can't recall which) and during one of the harmonies I began to wonder what sort of different combinations of harmonies the guys have recorded over the years? Obviously they all do the chorus to Lyin' Eyes (no matter who was a member at the point in time) and Glenn and Henley have a few where just they sing together, but I was wondering are there any songs where there's a three part harmony with Henley-Glenn andJoe (or anyone else, I think TBS has a few), or really back in the day any which Henley or Glenn didn't sing?

Ive always been a dreamer
07-12-2014, 12:31 PM
Good topic, tlr. I'll can't think of any right off the top of my head, so I'll have to give this some thought.

shunlvswx
07-12-2014, 01:02 PM
I think Pretty Maids All In a Row is 3 part harmony. I think I've seen Glenn and Don sing harmony with Joe.

I think there's 3 part harmony on I Can't Tell You Why. I could be wrong. I need to see a video.

That's all I can think of at the top of my head. Other than Don and Glenn singing harmony on each other song(i.e. Already Gone), I just don't know what other song.

tjh532
07-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Are you talking about the chorus of a song, the verses, or the entire thing? I notice that often Glenn or Don will song the lead and the other will sing harmony on the verse, then on the chorus Timothy and/or Joe will add more layers. A lot of eagles songs are like that.Timothy sings harmony on most of the songs. And don't forget the famous Eagles "ooohhs" - those are usually 3 part harmony. Their ability to sing gorgeous harmony is one thing that always set the Eagles apart from other groups - especially during the 70s.

Shun - on I can't tell you why it is just Timothy, and then Glenn and Don sing the counter melody. Maybe they sing a little on the chorus too - I'll have to go back and listen - dang!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-12-2014, 01:35 PM
I was wondering are there any songs where there's a three part harmony with Henley-Glenn andJoe (or anyone else, I think TBS has a few), or really back in the day any which Henley or Glenn didn't sing?

A great example isn't even an Eagles song. Don, Glenn, and Timothy sing harmony on Seger's Fire Lake.

thelastresort
07-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Cheers guys, it can literally be anything, the more obscure the better! A couple of examples I can think of off the top of my head is Glenn didn't sing at all on the BBC 1973 version of TLHTM, and during the Washington 1977 version of RMW it's Don Henley who does a lot of the backing vocals by himself. Of course I can't prove consistency though!

UndertheWire
07-12-2014, 02:58 PM
I'm thinking of an interview, possibly with Glenn, where he spoke about Glyn Johns saying that when Glenn, Bernie and Randy sang together, he (Glyn) could hear a fourth voice. I can't find the source at the moment.

Scarlet Sun
07-12-2014, 03:01 PM
The second verse of PEF features Bernie singing the 3rd above Glenn - a part that would be taken by Don on every Eagles song thereafter. Also, live versions of this tune from this time period bizarrely feature Don singing the highest harmony on the first line of the second verse only - a part normally taken by Randy, who sings the highest part during every other section of the song!

thelastresort
07-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Cheers SS, just the thing I was after. The song I referred to in the OP was D-D / D Reprise, in which I thought you could hear Randy harmonising with Henley, but I can't remember when...

Scarlet Sun
07-12-2014, 03:07 PM
I think Glenn may not be singing on Twenty-One or Certain Kind of Fool

StephUK
07-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Eagles harmonies is a great topic, and a favourite subject of mine. :nod:

I think there are 2,3,4 & 5 part harmonies in the Eagles songs.
Don & Glenn do 2 part harmony quite often in the verse of songs.
Don refers to the Eagles 5 part harmony in his intro to Hole in the World, on Farewell 1.

At live shows most of the supporting musicians sing also, either to add depth to the vocal lines or adding some 'ooohs & aaahs' etc,
On studio albums the Eagles can take more than one vocal part each, but on tour they need some extra voices to replicate that sound.

Those of you who are newer 'Borderers' may not be aware of my 'interest':bow: in Will Hollis, but because of it I'm aware that he takes on the role of 5th harmony & can often be seen singing when the other supporting musicians aren't (there are some good videos from HOTE in the US 2013 on YouTube where you can check this out). I guess that he may be singing the parts Don Felder used to sing.

Like some others have said, I'll need to watch & listen again to come up with which songs have 2,3,4 or 5 part harmonies.

Freypower
07-12-2014, 10:19 PM
I think Glenn may not be singing on Twenty-One or Certain Kind of Fool

Possibly not Twenty-One although I wouldn't know, but in CKOF the harmony in the line 'and it's a certain kind of fool who likes to hear the sound of his own NAME' , the world 'name' is clearly sung by Glenn as well as Randy. It's hard to miss it, in my view.

In concert, Don Henley sings no backing vocals at all in RMW & LBG.

tjh532
07-13-2014, 11:00 AM
Eagles harmonies is a great topic, and a favourite subject of mine. :nod:

I think there are 2,3,4 & 5 part harmonies in the Eagles songs.
Don & Glenn do 2 part harmony quite often in the verse of songs.
Don refers to the Eagles 5 part harmony in his intro to Hole in the World, on Farewell 1.

At live shows most of the supporting musicians sing also, either to add depth to the vocal lines or adding some 'ooohs & aaahs' etc,
On studio albums the Eagles can take more than one vocal part each, but on tour they need some extra voices to replicate that sound.

Those of you who are newer 'Borderers' may not be aware of my 'interest':bow: in Will Hollis, but because of it I'm aware that he takes on the role of 5th harmony & can often be seen singing when the other supporting musicians aren't (there are some good videos from HOTE in the US 2013 on YouTube where you can check this out). I guess that he may be singing the parts Don Felder used to sing.

Like some others have said, I'll need to watch & listen again to come up with which songs have 2,3,4 or 5 part harmonies.

Great post! Speaking of Felder, does Stuart Smith sing much? Or does he just play Felder's guitar parts?

thelastresort
07-13-2014, 11:29 AM
From my observations he usually sings only on the 'everyone in' harmonies, e.g. choruses and 'desperado' at the end of D-D / D Reprise. Never recall seeing him sing when no other backing musicians are (there is the odd occasion where he sings but Joe doesn't however).

StephUK
07-14-2014, 08:10 PM
From my observations he usually sings only on the 'everyone in' harmonies, e.g. choruses and 'desperado' at the end of D-D / D Reprise. Never recall seeing him sing when no other backing musicians are (there is the odd occasion where he sings but Joe doesn't however).

I think you're right TLR. Steuart does seem to be an 'everyone in' backing singer.

StephUK
07-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Although Joe's voice is strong & recognisable when he's singing lead vocals, I always find him the hardest to pick out in the harmonies. Don't know why this should be. Is it just me, or does anyone else have the same difficulty?

Scarlet Sun
07-14-2014, 08:28 PM
Although Joe's voice is strong & recognisable when he's singing lead vocals, I always find him the hardest to pick out in the harmonies. Don't know why this should be. Is it just me, or does anyone else have the same difficulty?
It's probably because he's at the bottom most of the time, since he replaced Bernie

shunlvswx
07-14-2014, 08:33 PM
You're not the only one, Steph. I could never pick out Joe's voice, but that's kinda good. You really don't suppose to have a voice stand out (other than the person who's singing lead) when you're doing harmonies. You suppose to blend, but I guess it depends. There's usually three part harmony in a group or my case choir(usually the fourth singer sings most of the leads). So if there's more than three singing in a group, the others have to either sing high or low of one of those parts.

Sometimes when they do those 5 part harmonies, I really can't pick out everyone's voice. When I watch HOTE and they play Life In The Fast Lane, you can really hear Glenn's voice in the chorus.

Freypower
07-14-2014, 08:35 PM

Yes. The only time I can really pick him out is Hole In The World in which Don appears to give him a nod of approval ('sing it Joe' unless I am mishearing that). I have tried as hard as I can to pick him out in other harmonies & I can't.

shunlvswx
07-14-2014, 08:43 PM
OK. I think I'm confuse myself. LOL Usually in harmony, you will usually have the high and low. Everybody else will sing in between those two. I think this is the case for Joe. He probably sings in between sometimes and probably sings the low parts sometimes because he can get low even though he has that high voice. Don can too. So he probably singing the low parts sometimes.

shunlvswx
07-14-2014, 08:46 PM
I remember in the F1 DVD(and I'm probably hearing wrong). In TLR when Joe goes over to Glenn and Timothy to sing at the mike, you can hear him.

07-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Yep - I'm another one that has a hard time picking out Joe's voice in the harmonies. Glenn's voice is usually the easiest for me to pick out - sometimes because of the way he enunciates certain words.

Freypower
07-14-2014, 09:24 PM
OK. I think I'm confuse myself. LOL Usually in harmony, you will usually have the high and low. Everybody else will sing in between those two. I think this is the case for Joe. He probably sings in between sometimes and probably sings the low parts sometimes because he can get low even though he has that high voice. Don can too. So he probably singing the low parts sometimes.

On some of the LROOE songs Glenn can clearly be heard singing the lowest part, especially in WITW & IDWTHAM.

shunlvswx
07-14-2014, 09:58 PM
Thanks for that info, FP. I didn't know Glenn can get that low. I'm so use to him singing high. So I would never had know he's singing the low parts. I did listen to WITW & IDWTHAM. I can hear him sing the low parts in IDWTHAM, but I think I have to listen more to WITW to hear him.

Their are some songs when I know that's Don's voice, that's Glenn's voice etc, but half the time. I don't know who's voice is whose.

Prettymaid
07-14-2014, 10:47 PM
I've always said I can't hear Joe harmonizing. That's why - even though I don't really like the arrangement here - it's refreshing to finally hear Joe singing harmony! It's funny though...sometimes neither one of them is singing the lead!

Here's Joe with Sara Evans on Crossroads doing Best of My Love.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-4bBInJUo90

MaryCalifornia
07-14-2014, 10:52 PM
As far as live performances, it seems to me as a general rule that for any song sung by Don or Glenn, Timothy and the other one (Don or Glenn) sing the chorus/harmonies. Even when you can see Joe and/or Steuart and the backing musicians singing, their mikes are turned down in the mix and you can't really hear their distinct voices, and I agree that you can't hear Joe in the recordings, etiher. Another way of saying it is that Timothy does the heavy lifting as far as filling in the harmonies/chorus on most of the songs, but I could certainly be accused of being biased in this perspective, so feel free to correct me!!! I'm sure it depends from tour to tour as well as far as what songs they sing - I am only going off what I've seen in the HOTE doc, F1 dvd, HFO dvd and HOTE tour. I know there are some songs where Timothy doesn't sing the chorus, but it doesn't seem like there are many.

Prettymaid
07-14-2014, 10:56 PM
Dreamer and Soda went to a show once and reported in their review that Joe was mouthing the words! :weep:

Scarlet Sun
07-14-2014, 10:58 PM
As far as live performances, it seems to me as a general rule that for any song sung by Don or Glenn, Timothy and the other one (Don or Glenn) sing the chorus/harmonies. Even when you can see Joe and/or Steuart and the backing musicians singing, their mikes are turned down in the mix and you can't really hear their distinct voices, and I agree that you can't hear Joe in the recordings, etiher. Another way of saying it is that Timothy does the heavy lifting as far as filling in the harmonies/chorus on most of the songs, but I could certainly be accused of being biased in this perspective, so feel free to correct me!!! I'm sure it depends from tour to tour as well as far as what songs they sing - I am only going off what I've seen in the HOTE doc, F1 dvd, HFO dvd and HOTE tour. I know there are some songs where Timothy doesn't sing the chorus, but it doesn't seem like there are many.
When it comes to harmonies, you can always hear the higher parts easier. Joe usually sings a part below Timothy and Don or Glenn, and the lower parts are individually harder to hear if the volume of all the parts are the same.

MaryCalifornia
07-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Dreamer and Soda went to a show once and reported in their review that Joe was mouthing the words! :weep:

Whaaaaat? Well, that could be one explanation of why we have trouble hearing him!! That is crazy.

Prettymaid
07-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Here's the review. Go to No More Walks in the Wood.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2762

chaim
07-15-2014, 04:49 AM
This is a wonderful topic. I can't contribute anything, but I thank you all.

MaryCalifornia
07-15-2014, 05:18 PM
Here's the review. Go to No More Walks in the Wood.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2762

Thanks for bringing this forward, PM. Sounds like Joe was having trouble that night, maybe a cold or something. OK, I'm sorry to be off topic, but two things:

#1 - What a fun set list from 2010!!!! Wish I had seen them then.

#2 - I am dying to hear about Soda's "Tim dream"!!! :faint:

sodascouts
07-15-2014, 10:02 PM
#2 - I am dying to hear about Soda's "Tim dream"!!! :faint:

Here it is, preserved for posterity! ;)

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124514&postcount=664

tjh532
07-15-2014, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=sodascouts;283349]Here it is, preserved for posterity! ;)

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124514&postcount=664[/QUOTE

Whew! Shirtless Timmy with wet hair? Umm, is it just me, or is it getting hot in here?

MaryCalifornia
07-16-2014, 03:39 AM
OMG I am dying, that is hilarious, Soda!!! So bizarre! I'm so glad I asked for it. Why do you have a HOSTEL? Why did your darn sisters get to marry Eagles? Why is Timothy so accommodating? I promise I am not trying to create some fantasy thread here, but I have always thought that if one of the other Eagles were in love with Timothy, it would be Henley. [I don't know why I think this, I just assume that everyone is attracted to him, and to be in close quarters and working creatively with him for months on end...and his hair in 1977...you know....he and Don seem to have a connection...] ANYWHOOO, I love that in your dream it was FELDER trying to get in his room!!!! How random!! He even made a FAKE CONTRACT! ( I too would make a fake contract to share a hostel room with TBS)

Thanks for sharing. We should have a "Bringing It Forward" thread for when we come across great items of interest like this that we think new Borderers would enjoy, like your 2010 review. Classic.

p.s. I like your bossiness - "I'm sorry, Mr. Schmit does not want to be disturbed". Hahahahahhahaha!!

bluefeather
07-16-2014, 07:23 PM
:hilarious::hilarious: THANK YOU Soda, and Mary for your comment, that was really entertaining
Timothy shirtless and with wet hair is HOT:heart::heart::heart:

sodascouts
07-16-2014, 07:26 PM
True guys, but I'm afraid I've derailed this topic, so I must apologize!

About that 2010 Louisville show... I think Joe was having trouble with his voice in the beginning, and while he got better as the show progressed, perhaps he still wasn't confident enough to attempt the precise harmonies of "No More Walks in the Wood."

07-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Wow PM - You sure have a good memory. I had almost forgotten about Joe not singing NMWITW at that show. The thing is I don't remember if I checked to see if this was the case at other shows that I attended during that time. If I had noticed it before, I probably would have mentioned it here on the board, so I guess I can do a little research.

Prettymaid
07-16-2014, 09:44 PM
True guys, but I'm afraid I've derailed this topic, so I must apologize!

About that 2010 Louisville show... I think Joe was having trouble with his voice in the beginning, and while he got better as the show progressed, perhaps he still wasn't confident enough to attempt the precise harmonies of "No More Walks in the Wood."

I'm probably to blame for derailing the topic, and I'm sorry, but at least there was an entertainment factor with the dream. (I don't even remember seeing a dream mentioned over there...I'm going to have to go look and then reread the dream!)

Okay - onward!

Houston Debutante
07-22-2014, 02:05 PM
I can almost always pick out Don's voice, but I have a question for those that know more then me ~ did the Eagles ever have the same person sing both the melody and harmony on the same recording, one band member harmonizing with himself, you know what I mean? They could record the two vocals at different times and then overlay them, I know other musicians who do that. On what songs, if they did that? Anybody know?

Freypower
07-22-2014, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure why they would do that when they had/have so many great singers.

Both Glenn & Don have harmonised with themselves in their solo careers, but that isn't what you asked. I suppose the closest I can think of is King Of Hollywood, but that is Don & Glenn both singing the same part, although Glenn sings in a higher register.

thelastresort
07-22-2014, 05:44 PM
I always thought Good Day in Hell sounded like there was always more than one person winging it at any point, although Glenn is credited with lead. The BBC 1973 version of Out of Control also has Don and Glenn harmonising throughout.

Re: picking out individual voices - on the Washington 1977 DVD you can pick out Felder at the end of NKIT, and Joe very, very clearly during 'spent my life running round' in TITTL.

UndertheWire
07-22-2014, 05:47 PM
I knew I'd read something about recording the vocals recently:

The Eagles's background and harmony vocals were stacked on two or three tracks, panned modestly at about eight and four o'clock. They were always recorded ensemble, around a single microphone. "The great thing about them was that they really could sing and they could connect with each other as they sang. But it was also the most tedious part, because when you have four voices on one track, that's four chances for one to make a mistake. Sometimes we'd do the same phrase for three hours to get it right."
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/articles/szymczyk.htm

In the early days, they were keen to only record what they could perform live, so I assume that philosophy extended to the the vocals.

Freypower
07-22-2014, 05:49 PM
I always thought Good Day in Hell sounded like there was always more than one person winging it at any point, although Glenn is credited with lead. The BBC 1973 version of Out of Control also has Don and Glenn harmonising throughout.

Re: picking out individual voices - on the Washington 1977 DVD you can pick out Felder at the end of NKIT, and Joe very, very clearly during 'spent my life running round' in TITTL.

GDIH is Glenn & Don, but the question was did they ever have one person do both lead & harmony.

StephUK
07-22-2014, 08:03 PM
GDIH is Glenn & Don, but the question was did they ever have one person do both lead & harmony.

Another great question! I'm sure if they did, then someone here will come up with the song title(s)!!

sodascouts
07-22-2014, 08:22 PM
On "Most of Us Are Sad," is that Glenn singing harmony on the verse starting with "Love was here today"?

Freypower
07-22-2014, 09:16 PM
On "Most of Us Are Sad," is that Glenn singing harmony on the verse starting with "Love was here today"?

The harmony in that verse sounds more like Don to me.

Another one; in Bitter Creek, I only hear Glenn & Randy in the harmonies (listen to the repetition of the lines 'all that money' & 'no more running'. Glenn is in the left channel & Randy in the right. If Don is there, I can't hear him).

Scarlet Sun
07-23-2014, 03:38 PM
I can almost always pick out Don's voice, but I have a question for those that know more then me ~ did the Eagles ever have the same person sing both the melody and harmony on the same recording, one band member harmonizing with himself, you know what I mean? They could record the two vocals at different times and then overlay them, I know other musicians who do that. On what songs, if they did that? Anybody know?
A lot of songs sung by Randy. Certain Kind Of Fool for example.

Scarlet Sun
07-23-2014, 03:39 PM
I think they're all in there

Shadowland07
07-23-2014, 07:51 PM
I'm pretty sure Don did that on "Hotel California." The line "and still those voices are calling from far away" is Don on lead and harmony. Though live, as we've seen, Randy and Glenn join in.

Houston Debutante
07-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the replies, this is really interesting to me.

thelastresort
08-17-2014, 03:20 PM
A couple of quick questions I've been meaning to ask for a while:
1) During On the Border who sings the line 'Never mind your face'? I think 'Never mind your name' is Randy; 'And we wanna know...' is Glenn; and 'You better step...' is Don H...?
2) Is Disco Strangler the only song they ever recorded with no backing vocals at all whatsoever?

Scarlet Sun
08-17-2014, 04:23 PM
1) During On the Border who sings the line 'Never mind your face'? I think 'Never mind your name' is Randy; 'And we wanna know...' is Glenn; and 'You better step...' is Don H...?
Bernie

Freypower
08-17-2014, 06:29 PM
2) Is Disco Strangler the only song they ever recorded with no backing vocals at all whatsoever?

To answer your second question, yes, as far as I know.

UndertheWire
08-18-2014, 01:03 PM

This song just came up so I came back to your question. SS must be right that it's Bernie on "Never mind your face" as the other lines are certainly sung by Randy, Glenn and Don. I love the way it's structured:

Randy: Never mind your name...
All: ...Just give us your number.

Bernie: Never mind your face...
All: ...Just show us your card.

Glenn: And we wanna know...
All: ...Whose wing are you under.

Don: You better step to the right...
All: ...Or we can make it hard.

Freypower
08-18-2014, 06:31 PM
I should point out that Glenn is very prominent in the line 'whose wing are you under' even though the others are singing.

GlennLover
08-19-2014, 11:00 AM
I should point out that Glenn is very prominent in the line 'whose wing are you under' even though the others are singing.

The same thing came to me when I read UtW's post. Great minds!

thelastresort
08-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys, I thought Bernie's line sounded a bit too gruff to be him which is why I thought it may have been a non-Eagle who said it.

Anyway, another I inadvertently found the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_sCqtc7nFo#t=156

I think that's the only time I've ever seen a three-part Don-Glenn-Joe harmony. Whether it was intentional or not I don't know as TBS is usually a dead cert for lines like those...

MaryCalifornia
08-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Why do I have no recollection of that guy on keyboard next to Timothy??? Is he there every show?

Agree it is probably rare to have those 3 singing w/o TBS, in this case I think the very end of that line needs to go higher and, I don't know the word, more forceful/stronger (?), so that's why he comes in there.

shunlvswx
08-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Usually Glenn and Don(harmonizing with Glenn majority of the song) sing together during that line and Timothy and Joe comes in on tears on your shoulder. wow!! I need to check out other New Kid in Town clips.

The guy on the keys is Michael Thompson. He's been in the band over 10 years. Its Will, Richard and Michael on the keys or piano. Michael is always on Timothy's side while Will and Richard on the left of the stage(our right).

thelastresort
08-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Why do I have no recollection of that guy on keyboard next to Timothy??? Is he there every show?

Agree it is probably rare to have those 3 singing w/o TBS, in this case I think the very end of that line needs to go higher and, I don't know the word, more forceful/stronger (?), so that's why he comes in there.

Yeah, that's Michael Thompson; the one who uses plays the grand piano behind TBS. That piano is only there briefly - Glenn uses it on ICTYW, the Thompson for NKIT, then it gets moved. Had a gander at another video from a different night and the same happens, so I'm assuming you're correct.

MaryCalifornia
08-26-2014, 02:24 PM
That piano is only there briefly - Glenn uses it on ICTYW, the Thompson for NKIT, then it gets moved.

That was my question. I notice Glenn on it on ICTYW b/c he is so stinkin' cute and I love watching him, I guess I just didn't notice this guy come down front.

UndertheWire
08-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Isn't Michael Thompson the pianist on After Hours , too?

GlennLover
08-26-2014, 02:45 PM
Isn't Michael Thompson the pianist on After Hours , too?

Yes, he is & he was with Glenn in Niagara Falls when I saw him there & with Glenn & Joe when I saw them in Aspen as well.

shunlvswx
08-26-2014, 03:17 PM
I think he plays in Don's solo band too. I think both Michael and Will came from Don's solo band and then they were hired as backup musicians into the new millenium.

shunlvswx
08-26-2014, 03:28 PM
Oops. I'm sorry. Michael didn't come from Don's solo. It was Richard Davis and Will who were in Don's solo band before they join the Eagles.

thelastresort
08-26-2014, 03:31 PM
Did Richard FW Davis tour on Long Road Out of Eden, or is he new for HOTE? I know he did a bit of technical work for the LROOE album.

shunlvswx
08-26-2014, 03:38 PM
He probably was. I thought I saw him in the F1 DVD, but I could be wrong.

Freypower
08-26-2014, 06:38 PM
He joined for the LROOE tour. He was not part of the F1 tour which was prior to LROOE. I have seen him with Glenn now 7 times. I wasn't aware he was previously in Don's band.

We have a topic about the backup band:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693

shunlvswx
08-26-2014, 06:53 PM
I think I'm getting Michael and Richard mixed up. Lol

That probably was Michael I saw in the IJ special and thought it was Richard.

08-26-2014, 11:09 PM
Yep - it was Michael Thompson that appeared on the Inside Job DVD.

shunlvswx
08-27-2014, 02:32 PM
OK. I went looking at a few NKIT clips from different shows and every clip I've seen(even though the volume is mute, I know that's the line they are singing), it looks like Joe does sing the line "but night after night you're willing to hold her, just hold her" and before everybody comes in on "tears on your shoulder." I even look at 1977 DC clip and it looks like he's about to sing that line before the camera pans off of him. SO I think Joe has been singing that line since the song came out. I do hear two different voices harmonizing with Glenn. I know one is Don, but I can hear another voice that maybe Joe's.

I guess if you're looking at the screen, we can't tell that Joe is singing along with Glenn and Don on that line since the camera is on them when they are singing that verse.

sodascouts
09-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Anyway, another I inadvertently found the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_sCqtc7nFo#t=156

I think that's the only time I've ever seen a three-part Don-Glenn-Joe harmony. Whether it was intentional or not I don't know as TBS is usually a dead cert for lines like those...

Interesting. I hadn't really thought about where the guys come in... good discussion! I also just enjoyed listening to my favorite part of the whole song in a new context. (Starting with "There's so many things you should have told her" etc) Such emotional, vulnerable lines.

thelastresort
09-04-2014, 05:49 AM
I also just enjoyed listening to my favorite part of the whole song in a new context. (Starting with "There's so many things you should have told her" etc) Such emotional, vulnerable lines.

Indeed. For me from 'Where you been lately?' to the end is probably my favourite section of any Eagles song ever. Glenn holding the 'and you're still arooooooooooound' line is absolutely amazing.

Freypower
09-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Indeed. For me from 'Where you been lately?' to the end is probably my favourite section of any Eagles song ever. Glenn holding the 'and you're still arooooooooooound' line is absolutely amazing.

The entire song from begnning to end is my favourite Eagles song culmnating in the 'ah-ooooh'. I can't wait to see him sing it again; I haven't seen it since 2004.

shunlvswx
09-04-2014, 06:54 PM
I love the last verse, bridge or whatever its called. Love when Glenn hits that high note for around. I kinda hate when he hits that, he sings away from the mike, but you can still hear him. I give him kuddos for still hitting that high note. It has to be hard sometimes.

The Disco Strangler
09-06-2014, 08:19 PM
I love Tim's backing vocals in Toto's I Won't Hold You Back. The first time I heard that song, I was like, "OMG, who is doing the backing vocals. Jeez, that sounds like Tim." What a beautiful voice.

MaryCalifornia
09-07-2014, 03:57 AM
Hi, DS. I may be telling you something you already know, but if you are interested in Timothy's singing on other bands'/artists' projects, we have a thread dedicated to just that, here - https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4776

We talk about Toto and all of the other artists he has sung with. Let us know what you think after reading through it! :singer: :cheers:

cynd1231
09-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Have to give ten thumbs-up here to the breathtaking harmonies on Doolin' Dalton/Desperado they're doing live in the HOTE show. Glenn, Timothy, Joe, Bernie (and I believe Steuart - but I had hard time seeing him) on the last verse backing Don and all of them on the refrain - MEZMERIZING and so hauntingly beautiful! I'm praying they recognize the fans need/want a DVD of this show and don't pass up the opportunity to reward us. They have to realize that despite every showing being a sellout there are so many fans who either can't get a seat or simply can't afford to go. It would be criminal for them NOT to release a concert DVD.

The Disco Strangler
09-07-2014, 11:42 AM
That's a great thread, Mary. I was just over there. I didn't realise he sang back-up for so many bands and solo artists.

OntheBorder74
10-01-2014, 05:17 AM
Hi all, always wondered in the great outro to NKIT, is it Don singing "Everybody's Talkin" and then Glenn singing the next line "People Started Walkin"? It begins at 4:42

I thought so for a long time but now doubt myself, they did trade vocals on the outro of Doolin Dalton where they are both kind of humming to the melody as the song is about to fade out. It's moments liek that earend them those grammys for vocal arrangements :)

Freypower
10-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Hi all, always wondered in the great outro to NKIT, is it Don singing "Everybody's Talkin" and then Glenn singing the next line "People Started Walkin"? It begins at 4:42

I thought so for a long time but now doubt myself, they did trade vocals on the outro of Doolin Dalton where they are both kind of humming to the melody as the song is about to fade out. It's moments liek that earend them those grammys for vocal arrangements :)

As far as I know Glenn sings 'everybody's talkin'/people started walkin'.

GlennLover
10-02-2014, 11:29 AM
As far as I know Glenn sings 'everybody's talkin'/people started walkin'.

I agree, FP.

Freypower
10-02-2014, 05:25 PM

I should have answered the second part. They do both hum the melody at the end of Doolin Dalton. After 'he left that peaceful life behind' Don hums & then Glenn does the same. Then Don hums again & I think it's stil him at the very end.

shunlvswx
10-02-2014, 05:27 PM
It sounds like Don at the end.

OntheBorder74
10-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Thanks FP :)

thelastresort
03-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Obviously Visions is Felder's only vocal lead, but I was wondering if anyone knew who else did what in it? During the body of the song it sounds like Henley-Felder-Leadon (?) for the main vocals with Glenn and Randy on the high harmony parts afterwards, but I can't really be sure. You can certainly hear Glenn in there though.

UndertheWire
03-02-2015, 08:48 AM
From Heaven and Hell:

At one point in the lyrics, Don and Glenn sing, “Play on, El Chingadero, play on.”
Does that fit with what you hear?
I'm hopeless at separating vocals. Do you think they've doubled Don Felder's vocals or is someone singing along with him?

thelastresort
03-02-2015, 11:16 AM
That's a good point re: vocal doubling, I'm not sure. The two vocal parts I refer to are, for example: 'Go ahead and life all your fantasies' sung by Felder and another (?), then straight after comes 'Don't you ever think about the other side?' sung much quieter but also much higher, with Glenn clearly in it. The 'play on...' line is deeper so is most likely Henley and Glenn.

Freypower
03-02-2015, 05:24 PM
That's a good point re: vocal doubling, I'm not sure. The two vocal parts I refer to are, for example: 'Go ahead and life all your fantasies' sung by Felder and another (?), then straight after comes 'Don't you ever think about the other side?' sung much quieter but also much higher, with Glenn clearly in it. The 'play on...' line is deeper so is most likely Henley and Glenn.

Glenn is singing both 'go ahead' etc & 'don't you ever think' etc & I assume that the other voice here is Henley because Felder is singing lead.

To me 'play on El Chingadero' sounds like Felder & Randy.

Shadowland07
03-02-2015, 05:48 PM
It always sounded to me like Henley/Felder sing the verses and Frey/Mesiner sing the harmony and the "play on el chingadero"

sodascouts
03-04-2015, 12:58 AM
I think it's Felder / Henley on the verse and Frey / Henley on "Play on Chingadero" (per Felder).

Funk 50
03-04-2015, 06:16 PM
The One Of These Nights album credits;

Visions: Lead vocal and lead guitar by Don Felder

Good job Felder didn't sing Victim Of love or Those Shoes. They wouldn't sound right with an amalgamation of voices.

Visions must be the only Eagles track where the lead vocals are questionable, except maybe King Of Hollywood.

MaryCalifornia
03-04-2015, 06:28 PM
I cannot imagine anyone but Don Henley singing Those Shoes or VoL. I guess I feel that way about most songs he sings. Good choice by the Eagles!

Jonny Come Lately
03-04-2015, 06:36 PM
I must admit when I first heard King Of Hollywood I really wasn't too sure who was singing it, but once you know why it's different from usual (with Don singing the lower part and Glenn the higher part, the opposite to the more expected vocal combination - listen to the shared vocal on Good Day In Hell as a contrast) then it makes sense. I can clearly tell that it's Don and Glenn, unlike the rather indistinct combination of voices on Visions.

Couldn't agree more about the vocals on VOL and Those Shoes, especially the former - the fact that Don Felder himself acknowledged that Henley's voice was better for that song tells you a lot. Had I not known about the plans for Felder to sing those two songs, I wouldn't have ever thought that anyone other than Henley would have even been considered to sing those two, his voice just suits them both perfectly I think.

Freypower
03-05-2015, 06:00 PM
The One Of These Nights album credits;

Visions: Lead vocal and lead guitar by Don Felder

Good job Felder didn't sing Victim Of love or Those Shoes. They wouldn't sound right with an amalgamation of voices.

Visions must be the only Eagles track where the lead vocals are questionable, except maybe King Of Hollywood.

Nobody said the lead vocals on Visions were by anyone except Felder. It was the harmonies we were discussing.

chaim
03-07-2015, 01:54 PM
I've always thought that the main vocal in Visions is Felder harmonizing with himself. I don't hear any other voice "jumping" from the mix. Usually I seem to hear Glenn no matter who he sings with. There are three people singing the "short people are just the same..." bit in Short People, for example, and Glenn is all I hear!

Freypower
03-07-2015, 05:15 PM
But Glenn is so easy to hear in 'don't you ever think about the other side', 'you & me oughta be takin' a ride' and 'the boy didn't love you anyhow' that it surprises me you would say that.

chaim
03-07-2015, 05:24 PM
But Glenn is so easy to hear in 'don't you ever think about the other side', 'you & me oughta be takin' a ride' and 'the boy didn't love you anyhow' that it surprises me you would say that.

I clearly hear Glenn in those bits - always have - but I consider them background vocals. I was talking about the "main" vocal part:

Go ahead and live all your fantasies
Helps you get from where you are to where you want to be
etc.

That "main vocal" is where I think Felder is harmonizing with himself.

The "background vocal" part is another example where I hear Glenn, but I have no idea who's singing with him.

UndertheWire
12-02-2015, 07:48 AM
Not the world's best title but it's the best and most concise I could muster. Basically, I was listening to an Eagles song the other day (can't recall which) and during one of the harmonies I began to wonder what sort of different combinations of harmonies the guys have recorded over the years? Obviously they all do the chorus to Lyin' Eyes (no matter who was a member at the point in time) and Glenn and Henley have a few where just they sing together, but I was wondering are there any songs where there's a three part harmony with Henley-Glenn andJoe (or anyone else, I think TBS has a few), or really back in the day any which Henley or Glenn didn't sing?
I watched the 1973 BBC video of Peaceful Easy Feeling recently and realised that it's just Glenn, Bernie and Randy singing. About 2 minutes into the song, there's a shot where Don is in the background and he's not singing whereas the other three can all be heard.

This got me wondering whether Don sang "Silver Daggers". It's impossible to see in the BBC concert, but in the 1972 Central Park performance, Don is clearly shown singing.

12-02-2015, 12:23 PM
I watched the 1973 BBC video of Peaceful Easy Feeling recently and realised that it's just Glenn, Bernie and Randy singing. About 2 minutes into the song, there's a shot where Don is in the background and he's not singing whereas the other three can all be heard.

This got me wondering whether Don sang "Silver Daggers". It's impossible to see in the BBC concert, but in the 1972 Central Park performance, Don is clearly shown singing.

:hmm: Interesting observation, UTW. I've never seen any early footage of Don singing Silver Dagger. I guess I just assumed he did, but it's quite possible that they hadn't fully developed the amazing 4-part (and later 5) harmonies that they would come to be so well known for at that point. When I get a chance, I'll have to try to listen real closely to see how many voices I can hear. Oh my - the work never ends! :wink: :grin:

Scarlet Sun
12-02-2015, 02:03 PM
He sings the high harmony on the first line of the second verse ("I found out a long time ago") and the middle harmony on the "oohs" on the bridge and the outro

NightMistBlue
01-26-2016, 05:46 PM
I've read (in one of the many memorials) that Glenn arranged the Eagles harmonies - anyone here know if that's true?

I think the usual way is for singers to write and/or come up with their own harmonies. Art Garfunkel, for example, developed his own harmony part on the Simon & Garfunkel records, as did Graham Nash with CSN. In his book, Felder credited Randy with coming up with the edgy, unconventional high harmony parts he (Randy) sang.

Freypower
01-26-2016, 05:59 PM
While of course they would all have played a part....Glenn was known as the Lone Arranger & as far as I know arranged not only the musical parts but the vocal parts as well, so the answer is yes.

Perhaps I am wrong but I really don't want to bring Felder into this. He was unable to give Glenn credit for anything at all before Glenn died.

OntheBorder74
01-27-2016, 06:51 AM
Its hard to know the extent of Glenns or anyone's contribution as they never went into any detail about the process of making the songs or what they each did specifically, though I've recently seen a clip opening of the tribute videos saying he loved harmony parts

NightMistBlue
01-27-2016, 01:09 PM
In a 2003 interview with Cameron Crowe, Don H. said: "We gave Glenn a nickname, The Lone Arranger. He had a vision about how our voices could blend and how to arrange the vocals and, in many cases, the tracks."

Hmm. So Glenn was the vocal arranger. Very interesting. Still, I'm inclined to believe - as Freypower said - that each member contributed. It's hard to imagine a strong-willed person like Henley in particular just taking direction. They were all pros, Glenn wouldn't have told them what to sing just as he (or the producer) wouldn't have told someone how to play.

Sorry if I'm splitting hairs here. I've said it before, but I think I underestimated Glenn as a musician.

travlnman2
08-07-2016, 09:48 PM
Time to revive this thread.

Personally I kinda like Randys Harmonies better then Timmothies because they just seem fuller and I can really hear his voice stand out but Tim is more in the background. Whenever I am listing to pre Tim eagles songs I always can here Randy.

Timmothy is great also like I prefere his Harmonies on VOL.

In the first few lines of Seven bridges road Felder can be really audible with his Bass register.

maryc2130
08-08-2016, 08:12 AM
It's funny because, although I love both of their voices, I like Timothy's better for almost the same reasons you stated. I think Randy had a stronger/more powerful voice, but to me, in harmony,it's all about the blending,and I think Timothy's voice blends better. His voice also has an incredibly sweet quality that I love.

Freypower
08-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Tim shines in Waiting In The Weeds. That's probably my favourite backing vocal of any Eagle.

thelastresort
08-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Thought of another whilst I was listening to it tonight - would the end of WDIDWMH from Tell me you're not leaving now... be one of the few examples of the three part Don-Joe-TBS harmony?

I will give an extra shout out to Glenn on this too, his vocals at the end are one of the most powerful of any Eagles song, right up there with his And you're still around in NKIT, and Henley at the end of OOTN.

travlnman2
08-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Timothy is fantastic on Eden but I guess I prefer Randy with the 70s stuff IMO he gave the harmonies a little bit of power to them while Timothy is great on more ballad type of songs brings a smoother type of feel.

Freypower
08-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Thought of another whilst I was listening to it tonight - would the end of WDIDWMH from Tell me you're not leaving now... be one of the few examples of the three part Don-Joe-TBS harmony?

I will give an extra shout out to Glenn on this too, his vocals at the end are one of the most powerful of any Eagles song, right up there with his And you're still around in NKIT, and Henley at the end of OOTN.

I am not sure that Joe sings on WDIDWMH at all.

I love Glenn's backing vocal on the title track & Don's on Somebody.

GlennLover
08-08-2016, 07:55 PM
It's funny because, although I love both of their voices, I like Timothy's better for almost the same reasons you stated. I think Randy had a stronger/more powerful voice, but to me, in harmony,it's all about the blending,and I think Timothy's voice blends better. His voice also has an incredibly sweet quality that I love.

I agree with you, maryc.

Shadowland07
09-09-2016, 11:20 PM
Ok I think this is the best place for my question. I recently bought a beautiful pair of headphones, Sennheiser HD 598s, and my god does everything sound amazing; from my records, to movies, and the mp3s in my iTunes library. So I decided to watch the digital copy of HOTE on my Mac with the headphones on. The concert attached at the end sounded incredible. I could hear the instruments better (Joe's guitar on "Lyin' Eyes," Glenn's guitar, and Don's guitar on "Best of My Love") and the vocals (Glenn singing on "OOTN" and Felder in a couple songs). But the one thing that I couldn't and that really frustrated me was Joe's harmonies. Has anyone else had this problem? I listen hard when I see he is at the mic, but can't seem to pick out his voice.

Jonny Come Lately
09-10-2016, 06:02 AM
I have to say I too have difficulty picking out Joe most of the time. However, I can definitely pick out his voice at the end of Take It Easy - listen to about 5:07-5:09 in this video, when the camera goes to a close up of Joe while everyone is singing the title line I am very confident that is his voice.

I think the truth is that Joe was far more important as a guitarist and musician than as a harmony singer - I think there's quite a few songs from the HC and Long Run albums where I think the harmonies are just Don H, Glenn and Randy/Tim with Joe and Don F focussed solely on their guitar parts (I'm thinking of rockers like LITFL and Those Shoes). I'm not completely sure, partly because there seems if anything to be more video footage from the pre-Joe era - I've actually never seen any concert footage from The Long Run era, and not for the want of trying!

The problem sometimes (if you can call it that!) is that the performances are too enjoyable and I get distracted while trying to listen to a specific part! The other day for instance I was trying to make out Glenn's acoustic guitar part in the HOTE version of Hotel California but there's so much other good stuff in that performance that I basically forgot to...

chaim
09-10-2016, 12:02 PM
I think the truth is that Joe was far more important as a guitarist and musician than as a harmony singer - I think there's quite a few songs from the HC and Long Run albums where I think the harmonies are just Don H, Glenn and Randy/Tim with Joe and Don F focussed solely on their guitar parts (I'm thinking of rockers like LITFL and Those Shoes).

I think either Glenn or Don H once said that they lost a little vocalwise when they replaced Bernie with Joe. It wasn't a slight at Joe, since they obviously gained a lot guitarwise in the rock department, which they wanted at the time. However, I have always found it ironic that the person who was brought in to "rock out" on guitar, contributed the sweetest song on the HC album and also played essential keyboard parts on the mellower songs - including his own ballad.

shunlvswx
09-10-2016, 12:54 PM
I know Joe harmonize with Glenn and Don on the line "but night after night. You're willing to hold her, just hold her." in New Kid IN Town. There's a few clips where Joe is singing line with Glenn and Don. Timothy doesn't come in until tears on your shoulder" line. You can hear Joe in Seven Bridges Road and I think No More Walks In The Wood too.

MaryCalifornia
09-10-2016, 01:53 PM
I saw them twice live on the HoTE tour, and I could never hear Joe singing backup/harmony, and I actually tried to pick out his voice. I think his mike is turned way down. It was always Don or Glenn on lead and Timothy and the other singing harmony, that you could hear. On some songs Steuart and the band would join in, but you never really could hear Joe. He sounded great on his leads, though!

Delilah
09-10-2016, 03:07 PM
So I decided to watch the digital copy of HOTE on my Mac with the headphones on. The concert attached at the end sounded incredible. I could hear the instruments better (Joe's guitar on "Lyin' Eyes," Glenn's guitar, and Don's guitar on "Best of My Love") and the vocals (Glenn singing on "OOTN" and Felder in a couple songs). But the one thing that I couldn't and that really frustrated me was Joe's harmonies. Has anyone else had this problem? I listen hard when I see he is at the mic, but can't seem to pick out his voice.

Joe can be heard on New Kid in Town around 1:10 when he, Randy and Don F are singing "ooooh", no? I can't hear him during the rest of it, esp. when Glen is singing. There's so much going on with that song--Glenn's vocal, Don F's guitar, Randy's beautiful background vocal throughout, it's hard (for me) to pay attention to the rest. I think I can barely hear Joe's low end on Best of My Love. He's also slightly audible on OOTN. Maybe I'm just hearing things?:hmm: I'm not sure about Lyin' Eyes or Take It to the Limit.

maryc2130
09-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Joe can be heard on New Kid in Town around 1:10 when he, Randy and Don F are singing "ooooh", no? I can't hear him during the rest of it, esp. when Glen is singing. There's so much going on with that song--Glenn's vocal, Don F's guitar, Randy's beautiful background vocal throughout, it's hard (for me) to pay attention to the rest. I think I can barely hear Joe's low end on Best of My Love. He's also slightly audible on OOTN. Maybe I'm just hearing things?:hmm: I'm not sure about Lyin' Eyes or Take It to the Limit.

Don H's backup harmonies on NKIT are lovely as well. They really stand out in concert.

I agree it's tough to pick out Joe's vocals. It's funny because some of his own songs have great vocals and harmonies (I think Pretty Maids All in a Row on Hell Freezes Over stands out in my mind), although I don't think of him as having a great voice, necessarily.

It's interesting to me that he is off to the side on the live version of Hole in the World on the Farewell I DVD. He may have trouble retaining his line of harmony when there are several other strong singers and harmony lines around him. Some people have that issue.

This is probably obvious to some of you, but who sings the bass line on No More Walks in the Woods? Is it Glenn? He sounds like he's doing some of the higher harmonies later in the song. If it is Glenn, he sounds completely different from usual!

Freypower
09-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Don H's backup harmonies on NKIT are lovely as well. They really stand out in concert.

I agree it's tough to pick out Joe's vocals. It's funny because some of his own songs have great vocals and harmonies (I think Pretty Maids All in a Row on Hell Freezes Over stands out in my mind), although I don't think of him as having a great voice, necessarily.

It's interesting to me that he is off to the side on the live version of Hole in the World on the Farewell I DVD. He may have trouble retaining his line of harmony when there are several other strong singers and harmony lines around him. Some people have that issue.

This is probably obvious to some of you, but who sings the bass line on No More Walks in the Woods? Is it Glenn? He sounds like he's doing some of the higher harmonies later in the song. If it is Glenn, he sounds completely different from usual!

Yes, Glenn sings the low part in NMWITW as he does in Waiting In The Weeds.

thelastresort
09-12-2016, 10:41 AM
You can hear Joe very clearly during Take It to the Limit from the HOTE concert, on 'spent my life running 'round'. Felder can be heard at some point on New Kid in Town too, I will have a look next time I watch it thought as I can't remember exactly where. In more recent Eagles performances, I have noted that Joe doesn't do backing vocals on some 'all in' moments: there's a video of Long Road Out of Eden in Austria where Joe doesn't sing any vocals at all, be it the chorus or the outro, the latter of which seemed to feature everybody else. There were also a couple of occasions it happened when I saw them on the HOTE tour, alas I've forgotten which now!

Jonny Come Lately
02-27-2017, 06:50 PM
Just wanted to bump this thread as I have a bit of a query.

I know that there are no harmony vocals on The Disco Strangler, but I'm starting to wonder if it might not be the only Eagles song with none. My question is - are there any harmony/backing vocals on the studio version of Learn To Be Still? I was listening to the song recently and I really don't hear anyone other than Don H on vocals throughout the song. Is there anything I'm missing, or is it genuinely just him singing?

thelastresort
02-27-2017, 07:02 PM
I've never heard any backing vocals on Learn to Be Still, I did keep meaning to post to that effect. As much as I love it, it really does belong on a Henley solo album.

Delilah
02-28-2017, 01:09 PM
"After the Thrill is Gone" doesn't have any backing/harmony vocals that I can hear. I think that's the first Eagles track not to have them.

(I mean other than the parts where the co-leads are singing harmony together; this may not be what JCL means).

Scarlet Sun
02-28-2017, 01:49 PM
"After the Thrill is Gone" doesn't have any backing/harmony vocals that I can hear. I think that's the first Eagles track not to have them.

(I mean other than the parts where the co-leads are singing harmony together; this may not be what JCL means).
"Oh-oh" (Randy)

Delilah
02-28-2017, 02:46 PM
"Oh-oh" (Randy)

Ok, I took a quick listen and if you're referring to the parts around the 1:33 and 2:47 marks, then I do hear Randy, barely. When he blends in, he really blends in. Thanks, Scarlet Sun.

thelastresort
02-28-2017, 04:26 PM
There's a fair few where the only backing vocals are odd 'ooh' or 'aah' (I'm not sure of their proper name!), such as Wasted Time.

02-28-2017, 11:20 PM
Another one is that You Are Not Alone has only very subtle background harmonies in the second verse.

Funk 50
03-02-2017, 08:42 AM
There's a fair few where the only backing vocals are odd 'ooh' or 'aah' (I'm not sure of their proper name!), such as Wasted Time.

I think you're selling those oohs and aahs a little short there thelastresort. Didn't Glenn say ooohs for $000s.

I love the early live versions of Desperado where the band's oohs and aahs aren't drowned out by strings and the mighty Hotel California album is awash with them. :)

thelastresort
06-22-2017, 03:45 PM
One which struck me today whilst listening to it - who sings in harmony with Randy during 'Don't think about me / Never let me cross your mind' on Midnight Flyer? It sounds like Don Henley to me but I'm not 100%...

Pippinwhite
06-22-2017, 03:58 PM
@TLR: After listening at a higher volume, through the good headphones (LOL), I think you're right. It's Henley. The only other thing I'd think they might have done was to get Randy to sing the high harmony and overdub it with his lead vocals. The Beatles used to do that all the time. But if it's another Eagle, DH would get my vote.

Delilah
06-24-2017, 12:28 PM
I have a question about "Chug All Night" -- is it Don or Bernie on the right side? When they start singing "no woman ever do what you do, high on a pleasure wheel" it sounds like Don on the right but then who's on the left --Bernie or Randy?

It's funny how sometimes they sound so similar it can be hard to tell their vocals apart.

Pippinwhite
06-25-2017, 01:05 AM
@Delilah: Have to go with Henley on this one, too. It's more a case of listening to how he pronounced his words, rather than the actual voice. That's kind of the giveaway, for me. Now, I could be spectacularly wrong -- wouldn't be the first time! -- but based just on how he sings the words, my vote is for Don.

But you're absolutely right -- sometimes they do sound so similar, it's difficult to distinguish the voices. One of the things that made their harmony so beautiful.

indygirl25
07-20-2017, 10:44 PM
hey all - i'm new here and i've got a question about the song "Already Gone".

I sing with 2 others (we all switch off lead), and we're doing Already Gone. On this song, I'm not singing lead, I'm doing harmony with the other singer. Here's my question: The lead singer and I are at odds about the MELODY line of the chorus - particularly where the key change occurs towards the end. Does anyone know FOR CERTAIN what notes are being sung on the melody?? I think I do, but she's adamant I'm wrong. :mad: If you can help me out, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks, all!:rockguitar:

Pippinwhite
07-20-2017, 11:40 PM
Hi Indygirl and welcome! There's a live version of Already Gone from Hell Freezes Over where Glenn's microphone is mixed a little hotter and you can hear his melody line much more clearly. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM6ibXV20Dk

My sister (a music major) and I (a music lover and serious Glenn woman) nearly had a knock-down, drag out FIGHT over this very issue! LOL. The sheet music, of course, will settle the question, if you read music. We both do, so I was vindicated in the end. You can't argue with the sheet music. Heh.

According to my ears and the sheet music, you're correct about Glenn's part. The confusion comes in because Henley has the high harmony, and his voice cuts through Glenn's lead vocal. My hubs is a keyboard player and serious musician himself, and his opinion is Henley doubles the lead line, but an octave higher than Glenn, and because of the nature of his voice, you tend to hear him more. Glenn's lead line got mixed down a little too much on the album version. In this live version, though, you can hear Glenn much more clearly because his mic is mixed more prominently.

If you don't have a really good pair of on-ear or over-ear headphones, invest in some. (I found some good ones at Target for about $45.) Some of these questions can be answered by listening through really good headphones. A $200 pair of Beats isn't necessary, but you do need to bump up from the $10 earbuds. I did and I can't believe I had them as long as I did. LOLOL.

So that's my take on the "Already Gone" issue. Obviously, I may be completely off base, but that's what I hear, and what I've seen on the sheet music. Great question! Cheers!

Delilah
07-21-2017, 11:43 AM
According to my ears and the sheet music, you're correct about Glenn's part. The confusion comes in because Henley has the high harmony, and his voice cuts through Glenn's lead vocal. My hubs is a keyboard player and serious musician himself, and his opinion is Henley doubles the lead line, but an octave higher than Glenn, and because of the nature of his voice, you tend to hear him more. Glenn's lead line got mixed down a little too much on the album version. In this live version, though, you can hear Glenn much more clearly because his mic is mixed more prominently.

Thanks for the info, Pippinwhite. It's interesting this was brought up b/c I have a similar opinion as your husband regarding "One of These Nights"--on some lines it sounds like Randy is singing a co-lead if not the lead outright.

For instance:
Oh, someone to be kind to in between the dark and the light
Oh, coming right behind you, swear I'm gonna find you, one of these nights

Even in the live recordings I've heard, Randy's voice is prominent in these lines.

And welcome to board, indygirl25!

Pippinwhite
07-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the info, Pippinwhite. It's interesting this was brought up b/c I have a similar opinion as your husband regarding "One of These Nights"--on some lines it sounds like Randy is singing a co-lead if not the lead outright.

You're right. On this one, Randy really slides into a falsetto, above Don's lead line. So in a sense, yeah, he takes over the lead. Kind of like (dare I say it?) Barry Gibb in the Bee Gees. (ducks the tomato missiles). Obviously, a different sound, but the same basic concept. Or, as the hubs says, "in the key of real high." Spoken like the envious baritone he is. LOLOL.

But Randy's line is much more prominent in OOTN. There's no mistaking the line. The production in AG muddies the waters a little.

NightMistBlue
07-21-2017, 03:34 PM
Thank you for the info, Pip. I think the Bee Gees influenced OOTN; didn't Felder acknowledge that? He did say they were recording at Criteria in Miami at the time, and he got to know and like the Gibbs very much, particularly Barry.

But I digress. Welcome Indygirl!

Pippinwhite
07-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Thank you for the info, Pip. I think the Bee Gees influenced OOTN; didn't Felder acknowledge that? He did say they were recording at Criteria in Miami at the time, and he got to know and like the Gibbs very much, particularly Barry.

I'm sure that's the case. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

New Kid In Town
07-21-2017, 06:28 PM
Thanks Pippin - I think Randy's vocals really shine on OOTN.
I remember either reading or seeing an interview with Glenn where he talked about recording in Miami the same time as the Bee Gee's and talking about how nice they were and how much he liked them.