PDA

View Full Version : Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

Pages : [1] 2

Ive always been a dreamer
10-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Time for the Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor, where we vote off the song performances on the DVD until we get to the last one standing!

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

I'm going to list all the songs performed on the DVD here. Vote for the performance that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song performance that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for the one you think should GO, not the one you think should stay.

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember... it's still just a game.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Once the board clock strikes 8:00 pm Eastern on the second day, no more votes will be counted for that round - even if it's only seconds after. Your votes also cannot be changed once you have voted, even if you change your mind or make a mistake. Once it's on the record, that's it - so be careful!

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared. The exception is the last round. If the tiebreaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

In order to avoid voter fraud and trolling, we require that you must be "a member in good standing" as defined by the Terms of Service for at least two weeks before the start of the game in order to cast a vote.

Congratulation to the winner of this Survivor Game ...

Get Over It

Performances Eliminated:
The Girl from Yesterday 10/23
Learn to Be Still 10/25
New York Minute 10/27
The Last Resort 10/29
Love Will Keep Us Alive 10/31
Help Me Through the Night 11/02
The Heart of the Matter 11/04
Wasted Time 11/06
Hotel California 11/08
In the City 11/10
Pretty Maids All in a Row 11/12
Desperado 11/14
I Can't Tell You Why 11/16
Tequila Sunrise 11/18
Life in the Fast Lane 11/20
Take It Easy 11/22

Thanks for playing.

GAME OVER!

thelastresort
10-21-2014, 06:38 PM
I vote The Girl From Yesterday.

None of the four new tracks on HFO are particularly amazing, but this is the worst of any song on the DVD. Sorry Glenn fans!

UndertheWire
10-21-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm going to kick off before going to bed. I've decided I'm going for the best band performance. Of course, it's easier to give a good performance if the song is good, too.

My first choice is a no-brainer. It's essentially a rather dull, solo effort masquerading as a new Eagles song. Don sings, the tune is monotonous and the rest of the band just sits there strumming. It gets a slight boost because of the humour of Don forgetting the words but it's not enough.

Learn to be Still

Freypower
10-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Given that we are voting on the quality of the performance rather than the quality of the song....

I will say one thing. I suspect the song I think should be voted off first will be extremely popular & will probably last a long time. So there is no point in wasting my vote.

I vote for New York Minute. It epitomises what the main problem with this DVD is; that for long stretches it is hardly more than The Don Henley Show. Most of the band have nothing to do (a few shots of Glenn playing keyboards notwithstanding) & it isn't an Eagles song, which is the only reason I decided on it rather than The Last Resort, which at least involves the rest of the band towards the end.

shunlvswx
10-21-2014, 06:58 PM
I vote for The Girl From Yesterday.

Its kinda boring and I always fast forward my DVD when this song comes up. Great vocals by Don and Glenn. Nice guitar solo by Joe and great steel guitar by Don F, but other than that. The rest of the band is doing absolutely nothing during this song. They just standing there looking pretty even though that's not a bad thing.:hilarious: No 5 part harmony they are known for in this song.

I know their are other songs on the DVD just like this one where majority of the band isn't doing anything, but this song I just don't like. I love country music, but sorry Glenn. Not a good song for you.

L101
10-21-2014, 07:02 PM
I vote for Hotel California - this version is boring, does nothing for the song and the guitars at the end really annoy me !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UTW - I agree with you that the version of Learn to be still is a bit dull on this DVD but I really like this song. I like to just listen to the guitars strumming along - its a nice chillaxing song to listen to :grin:

thelastresort
10-21-2014, 07:04 PM
I will clarify that I voted for TGFY broadly for the reasons shun above does, even live it is bland and uninspiring. Usually any song with steel pedal is a winner for me but even that doesn't save it!

Zanny Kingston
10-21-2014, 07:26 PM
My Vote- THE GIRL FROM YESTERDAY

I do love the HFO DVD but this song not so much. I just prefer to skip this one to me, it does not do Glenn justice.

Freypower
10-21-2014, 07:29 PM
I will clarify that I voted for TGFY broadly for the reasons shun above does, even live it is bland and uninspiring. Usually any song with steel pedal is a winner for me but even that doesn't save it!

I was one of the few people on this board who did see it in concert. In fact I have seen it twice because Glenn played it at the Sydney Opera House last year & I didn't find it bland & uninsipring at all. Glenn only has three lead vocals on this DVD, the same number as Joe. It's bad enough as it is without votes for this song so soon.

And ZK having just seen your post... none of Glenn's three leads on this DVD do him justice. But his fans have to take what they can.

thelastresort
10-21-2014, 07:44 PM
I didn't find it bland & uninsipring at all. Glenn only has three lead vocals on this DVD, the same number as Joe. It's bad enough as it is without votes for this song so soon.

Whereas I do, and as per the OP, I may vote on whatever grounds of the performance I so wish. I will agree with the point on the number of Glenn vocals though.

Midnight Visitor
10-21-2014, 09:08 PM
I vote for The Girl From Yesterday. This song does nothing for me and I skip it every time I watch the DVD.

10-21-2014, 11:34 PM
I think this is going to be a really tough game because to me there’s very little difference in the quality of these performances, especially in the first half of the DVD. In our other Survivor game where we voted on song performances, I made a list of criteria for myself so I could judge the actual performances instead of the songs. I considered the overall band performance and entertainment value including such things as:

- How effective were the technical vocal and instrumental performances?

- How well was the live performance able to bring the song to life?

- How well did the style of the performance showcase the overall abilities of the band as a whole?

- Was the band emotionally engaged with the song?

- How well did the band connect with the audience?

- Did the performance appear to have an emotional impact on the audience?

So my dilemma is that when I apply this or any other criteria, it turns out to be a draw for many of the performances on this DVD. They are all just about technically perfect when it comes to vocals and instrumentation, but many of the performances feature an individual band member rather than the band as a whole, and have very little variation with regard to style. There is very little interaction with the audience and quite honestly I think the band was a bit uptight, especially in the first half of the performance. So, I was wondering if any one can think of any other performance criteria. If not, then all things equal in some instances, it may come down to me just voting for the song rather than the performance. Obviously, we’ll have to see how things play out in the game.

Glennsallnighter
10-22-2014, 02:03 AM
Yes Dreamer. It is very different from the cd only survivors where essentially we only hear the music and vocals.

I must say I love 'TGFY' and 'TLR'. Like a few people have mentioned it is rather heavy on Don Henleys lead songs.

This round I vote for 'Learn to be Still'. It is not a bad song but just less inspiring than the other songs on the DVD.

Koala
10-22-2014, 04:04 AM
I vote for The Girl from Yesterday

WalshFan88
10-22-2014, 04:25 AM
Gotta be Hotel California. I cannot wrap my head around it....HC is an electric rock song, and is not the mellow pretty thing they wanted it to be in the HFO concert. It's my favorite song so it's a serious decision for me. It has to have those electric solos for me.

UndertheWire
10-22-2014, 05:41 AM
As this was a reunion, I'm looking for signs that the band is working together and enjoying it. Unfortunately, very few songs on the DVD fit that criteria.

I'm also fighting against the sequencing. I watched straight through and made notes as I went and several songs suffered because by that time I wanted a change of pace. Once I have a shortlist for a round, I'm going to go back and watch the songs as stand-alone to see if it makes a difference.

I feel like I want to defend TGFY. I looked back at my notes and they said "Funny this is more upbeat." So this is one that benefited from the sequencing. I was ready for a change and a vocal from Glenn was overdue. It's far from my favourite song but it seems wrong for it to be voted first.

So I'm asking those who haven't voted to put serious thought into voting for "Learn to be Still":
- the DVD is already far too heavy on Henley lead vocals
- the rest of the band have little to do
- it's a dull performance of a dull song

Tiffanny Twisted
10-22-2014, 06:36 AM
New york minute

I find it difficult to axe things

shunlvswx
10-22-2014, 07:56 AM
I have nothing against Glenn's songs that are on the DVD. The other two are not high on my list to get rid of anytime soon. Even though Don had 8 or 9 songs on the DVD, Joe, Glenn, and Timothy(even though he only had two) had almost the equal amount of songs on the DVD which you don't see now since Joe does 5 or 6 songs and Timothy only does 2. Glenn and Don almost do an equal amount of songs now. I'm glad he had more songs on the HFO tour than the DVD.

Heck a lot of my favorite songs are by Glenn. Even though I'm solely a Don fan, I love some of Glenn's songs. I like Take It Easy and Tequila Sunrise on this DVD. At least you do get interaction and everybody is singing on those songs and having fun. With TGFY, its just plain ole boring. At least with the other songs that the guys were standing around on, they were singing. This one was just Glenn and Don. Even though their are a lot of songs where it features Glenn and Don helping each other on verses or backing each other, the others are singing with them.

That's why I voted for TGFY. Their wasn't no interaction and the others were not singing on the song. The steel guitar and guitar solo couldn't help the song. This was my very first choice to get rid of. Once that song is gone, it will be hard for me to get rid of the others.

scottside
10-22-2014, 08:10 AM
I vote for "Learn To Be Still." I like the lyrics, but the music is on the dull side.

DivineDon
10-22-2014, 11:42 AM
Okay, I've decided that I'm going to go with gut feelings and complete honesty on this game....so I really do not like I Can't Tell You Why. I skip the DVD every time it comes on. I don't even like Vince Gill's version and I love Vince :sad:

By the way UTW I really like Learn to be Still so I don't think you should ask people to consider voting it off just because it doesn't appeal to you. Everyone has different taste...that's what makes these games interesting.

GlennLover
10-22-2014, 04:32 PM
I agree with FP's comments. I love TGFY. I was going to vote New York Minute, but in a, probably futile, attempt to save TGFY I vote Learn To Be Still, which would have been my second choice.

Freypower
10-22-2014, 05:31 PM
I have nothing against Glenn's songs that are on the DVD. The other two are not high on my list to get rid of anytime soon. Even though Don had 8 or 9 songs on the DVD, Joe, Glenn, and Timothy(even though he only had two) had almost the equal amount of songs on the DVD which you don't see now since Joe does 5 or 6 songs and Timothy only does 2. Glenn and Don almost do an equal amount of songs now. I'm glad he had more songs on the HFO tour than the DVD.

Heck a lot of my favorite songs are by Glenn. Even though I'm solely a Don fan, I love some of Glenn's songs. I like Take It Easy and Tequila Sunrise on this DVD. At least you do get interaction and everybody is singing on those songs and having fun. With TGFY, its just plain ole boring. At least with the other songs that the guys were standing around on, they were singing. This one was just Glenn and Don. Even though their are a lot of songs where it features Glenn and Don helping each other on verses or backing each other, the others are singing with them.

That's why I voted for TGFY. Their wasn't no interaction and the others were not singing on the song. The steel guitar and guitar solo couldn't help the song. This was my very first choice to get rid of. Once that song is gone, it will be hard for me to get rid of the others.

When playing this particular game, the number of songs Glenn sang on the tour is irrelevant. Yes, he was used properly on the tour, but that is not the point. The number of songs sung by the others which weren't included on the DVD is also irrelevant and Joe sings three, not five or six, the same number as Glenn. Joe and Tim did not have any extra songs. Only Glenn and (surprise)! Henley did.

There was at least as much interaction in TGFY as there was in the totally Henley heavy NYM, TLR, Wasted Time & Desperado. There are no backing vocals in TLR or Wasted Time until the end. Why is it then such a big deal that only Glenn & Don sing on TGFY? IN fact, it's good to have the two of them showcased like this. The only other time it happens is when Glenn is backing Don on piano in the afore mentioned WT & Desperado.

And I love Learn To Be Still; the lyrics, the melody, the atmosphere. Don heavy, yes, but so is most of this show. He is at his best here, understated rather than overwrought which is my preference.

I think Dreamer is correct. Most of these performances are so similar that despite best intentions, most people will be voting for the songs.

Islander canuck
10-22-2014, 05:51 PM
I vote for Learn To Be Still.

I noticed at the end of the credits when they list the songs in between Learn To Be Still and Pretty Maids All In A Row that Best Of My Love is listed. Since no performance of Best Of My Love is shown shouldn't it have been edited out of the credits?

thelastresort
10-22-2014, 06:40 PM
A lot of songs were performed but either not filmed or later cut. There's also One of These Nights, a Glenn solo and a truly wonderful performance of Peaceful Easy Feeling, amongst a good few others.

Freypower
10-22-2014, 06:51 PM
A lot of songs were performed but either not filmed or later cut. There's also One of These Nights, a Glenn solo and a truly wonderful performance of Peaceful Easy Feeling, amongst a good few others.

Yes, but they were cut. That's the point. They aren't part of the game. And what are these 'good few others'? The only other songs I know of which you don't mention are Best Of My Love & Heartache Tonight.

thelastresort
10-22-2014, 07:12 PM
Yes, but they were cut. That's the point. They aren't part of the game. And what are these 'good few others'? The only other songs I know of which you don't mention are Best Of My Love & Heartache Tonight.

I was merely responding to IC's query. Does it really matter what I used to quantify the rest? Yes it didn't turn out to be the most accurate (I thought there was 7 or 8 cut), heaven forbid I should make an error.

I'm staying out of this thread now, more trouble than it's worth. Enjoy your game all.

Freypower
10-22-2014, 07:36 PM
I was merely responding to IC's query. Does it really matter what I used to quantify the rest? Yes it didn't turn out to be the most accurate (I thought there was 7 or 8 cut), heaven forbid I should make an error.

I'm staying out of this thread now, more trouble than it's worth. Enjoy your game all.

TLR, I'm sorry. I overreacted. There is no need for you to stay out of it. On the contrary it would perhaps be better if I did.

sodascouts
10-22-2014, 07:42 PM
I cast my vote for New York Minute.

It really drags the show down pace-wise and as a solo song, I feel it's expendable. I mean, the rest of the band barely does anything during it.

thelastresort
10-22-2014, 07:47 PM
TLR, I'm sorry. I overreacted. There is no need for you to stay out of it. On the contrary it would perhaps be better if I did.

No problem, I did too! Don't go, I'd feel guilty :thumbsup:

MaryCalifornia
10-22-2014, 09:45 PM
This is a fun thread, I like seeing everyone's thoughts. I am not sophisticated enough to vote strategically, so like DD, I'm just going to be honest, and this one is a no-brainer for me:

THE LAST RESORT

OMG, snooozefest!!!

As for:

New York Minute - I actually like it when the Eagles play and sing to Don's solo hits, I think it's cool, and from a more personal standpoint, I like all of the Timothy action going on here.

Learn to Be Still - hard for me to argue with all 5 guys sitting out front strumming and singing.

Watch out tomorrow, The Girl From Yesterday. (see what I did there? haha)

cynd1231
10-22-2014, 11:37 PM
I vote for The Girl From Yesterday. It's just never held a strong appeal for me.

Brooke
10-23-2014, 11:31 AM
I vote for New York Minute.

This is a really tough game because I really like all the songs and the low-key atmosphere of the whole show doesn't make for much excitement for the viewer other than they all are looking pretty hot in it! I could watch them all day long! :lol:

TimothyBFan
10-23-2014, 12:58 PM
This song just doesn't do it for me.

I vote for The Girl From Yesterday.

zeldabjr
10-23-2014, 01:41 PM
I vote for The Girl From Yesterday...

10-23-2014, 07:57 PM
To me, the performances are all wonderful from a technical standpoint, but many of them are somewhat stiff. Also, stylistically, there is very little variety in the performances, and I happen to be someone that likes versatility in my music and performances. I don't understand why they went with so many slow songs and ballads, while leaving off their fantastic uptempo songs such as Already Gone, One of These Nights, The Long Run, and Heartache Tonight. But, instead of going with these awesome Eagles' rockers, they include solo ballads. Go figure! So, I'm going to vote for the performance that best represents what I like least about this DVD ...

Midnight Visitor
10-23-2014, 08:11 PM
To me, the performances are all wonderful from a technical standpoint, but many of them are somewhat stiff. Also, stylistically, there is very little variety in the performances, and I happen to be someone that likes versatility in my music and performances. I don't understand why they went with so many slow songs and ballads, while leaving off their fantastic uptempo songs such as Already Gone, One of These Nights, The Long Run, and Heartache Tonight. But, instead of going with these awesome Eagles' rockers, they include solo ballads. Go figure! So, I'm going to vote for the performance that best represents what I like least about this DVD ...

I always assumed that the songs were chosen based on the fact that the show originated as part of the MTV Unplugged series. Most performers chose their slower/softer songs for their Unplugged performances.

10-23-2014, 08:13 PM
The first song performance to be eliminated in the Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor is The Girl from Yesterday. “The Girl from Yesterday”, it's so sad the way you said goodbye. The tribe has spoken so please pack your things, walk out the door, and drive away. You must leave the island immediately.

Votes
The Girl from Yesterday – 8
Learn to Be Still – 5
New York Minute – 5
Hotel California – 2
I Can’t Tell You Why – 1
The Last Resort – 1

Vote Breakdown
The Girl from Yesterday – thelastresort
The Girl from Yesterday – shunlvswx
The Girl from Yesterday – Zanny Kingston
The Girl from Yesterday – Midnight Visitor
The Girl from Yesterday – Koala
The Girl from Yesterday – cynd1231
The Girl from Yesterday – TimothyBFan
The Girl from Yesterday – zeldabjr
Learn to Be Still – UndertheWire
Learn to Be Still – Glennsallnighter
Learn to Be Still – scottside
Learn to Be Still – GlennLover
Learn to Be Still – Islander canuck
New York Minute – Freypower
New York Minute – Tiffanny Twisted
New York Minute – sodascouts
New York Minute – Brooke
New York Minute – Ive always been a dreamer
Hotel California – Lacken101
Hotel California – WalshFan88
I Can’t Tell You Why – DevineDon
The Last Resort – MaryCalifornia

Performance Eliminated:
The Girl From Yesterday 10/23

Performances Remaining:
Hotel California
Tequila Sunrise
Help Me Through the Night
The Heart of the Matter
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Learn to Be Still
Pretty Maids All in a Row
Wasted Time
I Can't Tell You Why
New York Minute
The Last Resort
Take It Easy
Life in the Fast Lane
In the City
Get Over It
Desperado

Voting for Round Two begins now.

shunlvswx
10-23-2014, 08:23 PM
I vote for Learn To Be Still.

I love Don, but this is all Don. Another the band is doing anything and not even singing Glenn comes in with a few Learn To Be Still. Like The Girl From Yesterday, its boring. I still love the outtake of Don forgetting the second verse and Glenn's laugh. I think if it was part of the performance, I would had kept it around.

Freypower
10-23-2014, 08:32 PM
New York Minute

Midnight Visitor
10-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Learn to Be Still

MaryCalifornia
10-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Learn to Be Still

cynd1231
10-24-2014, 12:22 AM
Learn To Be Still

thelastresort
10-24-2014, 06:19 AM
Learn to Be Still, for reasons everyone has listed.

TimothyBFan
10-24-2014, 08:05 AM
I can understand why people would think LTBS is boring but there's something that speaks to me when I hear it. Looks like it will definitely be going this round so I think I'll mix it up a bit.

I vote for Tequila Sunrise.

scottside
10-24-2014, 08:31 AM
I cast my vote for "Learn To Be Still."

DivineDon
10-24-2014, 08:56 AM
I agree with you TBF, I don't know why people find Learn to Be Still dull - it's a beautiful profound song. You can't judge HFO on performance as it needs to be put in its context. The boys were nervous getting back together with each other after their 'break' and they also didn't know if their fans would still be there for them. So the show was carefully choreographed to focus on the songs, and as Don was arguably the most successful in his solo career, he also had the most prominence - (though I think Glenn should have sung a few of his songs if Joe was allowed to). This is also the reason imo that The Last Resort was included, to show their relevance in the modern world re the environment.

But anyway, getting back to HFO, reading some of the posts I was starting to wonder if people actually liked it!! There's so much negativity. The show was edited so we can't say if there was no interaction between the boys and/or the audience. We know that for instance, Don forgetting his words was edited and they left out some performances so it's quite possible there may have been more shots of discussions and interaction between the boys before editing.

Having said all that, enough of the lecture :hilarious:

I have to practice what I preach so going with the song I dislike the most (I really liked TGFY- pure country), I have to stick with I Can't Tell You Why

L101
10-24-2014, 09:52 AM
For me its a toss up between HC and New York Minute. For this round I'm going to go with New York Minute. I love this song but I don't like this version with the orchestra or the trumpet.

l thought for the unplugged concert, the song would be more stripped back but the addition of the orchestra does nothing for it really.

Apart from these two songs I like the HFO DVD and It is going to be hard to pick the next few songs to eliminate:-( While watching the DVD, I do wonder why the rest of the band don't sing many of their own songs and maybe it was due to them not being ready or nervous after the 14 year vacation......

l also can't understand why everyone hates 'learn to be still' so much. I think it is a great song and yes, while this performance might be a bit understated, it is still performed well for an unplugged concert. l don't agree with some of the reasons for it to be voted off i.e. that it is mainly Don singing and that the others have nothing much to do with the song.
If It was Glenn singing this song, would the reasons still be the same?

Anyway, enough of my ramblings and lets get on with the game :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
10-24-2014, 09:54 AM
As it looks like Learn to be Still is going down without my vote, I'm going with something different this time. I nearly voted for it last time but I thought it would be a wasted vote. It's an Eagles song but most of it is just Don, Timothy Drury(?), Scott Crago and the orchestra. The other Eagles are just there to sing "ahh!" at the end. Was it ever played live before?

I vote for The Last Resort.

I like New York Minute a lot more: the sentiments in the lyrics, the tune, even the orchestra. Also, at least Glenn and Timothy (you can really hear that base) are involved.

Lacken, my main criterion is a good band performance which is why any song which has little band involvement should be quaking in its boots! It may seem like Don is being targeted but that's because he sings more songs than everyone else put together.

Brooke
10-24-2014, 10:01 AM
New York Minute

ETA: In response to DD's question...I LOVE the dvd for the mere fact that my beloved Eagles are back together again after 14 years! I never dreamed it would happen and when I heard about it I was ecstatic! They could have sang the phone book and I would have loved it!

And, I love Learn To Be Still, too! And Don and Glenn are so cute when Don forgets the lines! :hilarious:

The only problem, and I don't really find it a problem, is it's so laid back and there aren't any rockers. But, we have to vote off something to play this game.....:shrug:

shunlvswx
10-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Like I said earlier. I am a Don fan. So I'm not targeting Don and I'm definitely not targeting Glenn. This was suppose to be judge by performance.

I agree this is an unplugged version. I loved those unplugged special MTV and VH1 use to do. To tell the truth, I love their acoustic part of the show. It brings Don upfront from the drums. So if that was the case about not liking the laid back songs, I would be voting off all of the songs that were part of the acoustic part of the show, but I'm not.

Learn To Be Still and The Girl From Yesterday were my least favorite from the DVD. I had to vote for something because I thought it was a great DVD. Its going to get harder and harder as the game goes on since I like all the song on the DVD except those two. I don't skip LTBS. I like the song, but its not up there as my favorite.

L101
10-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Its ok, I'm not that sensitive to having Don songs being picked. It seemed like there was a common thread :grin: there for a bit.

I do agree that it is hard to pick songs from the HFO DVD and it is definitely going to get harder......

What I do find interesting about this is the way different members appreciate the music. I love the electric guitars and drums with maybe one or two band members and others like the whole band and more. ...
Obviously you can tell this is my first game of survivor :doh:

TimothyBFan
10-24-2014, 01:10 PM
While watching the DVD, I do wonder why the rest of the band don't sing many of their own songs and maybe it was due to them not being ready or nervous after the 14 year vacation......

My theory on this, not that I know anything :hilarious: is that since the Eagles were finally back together & we had pretty much been saturated with Don & Glenn solo stuff in the 80s, they felt the fans wanted to see Eagles material. As for Don solo stuff included, like DD said above, he was the one with the most successful solo career of recent & everyone knows Joe so he was also included. Tho I think all of us here are familiar with Glenn's solo career, I think the general public was not so much. Just my thoughts.

ETA: In response to DD's question...I LOVE the dvd for the mere fact that my beloved Eagles are back together again after 14 years! I never dreamed it would happen and when I heard about it I was ecstatic! They could have sang the phone book and I would have loved it!

Couldn't of said it better!!!!

UndertheWire
10-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Considering how contentious this thread looks like being when we're only playing a game, imagine what it must have been like for the band when deciding what songs to perform and then which ones to include in the DVD.

Freypower
10-24-2014, 06:52 PM
For me its a toss up between HC and New York Minute. For this round I'm going to go with New York Minute. I love this song but I don't like this version with the orchestra or the trumpet.

l thought for the unplugged concert, the song would be more stripped back but the addition of the orchestra does nothing for it really.

Apart from these two songs I like the HFO DVD and It is going to be hard to pick the next few songs to eliminate:-( While watching the DVD, I do wonder why the rest of the band don't sing many of their own songs and maybe it was due to them not being ready or nervous after the 14 year vacation......

l also can't understand why everyone hates 'learn to be still' so much. I think it is a great song and yes, while this performance might be a bit understated, it is still performed well for an unplugged concert. l don't agree with some of the reasons for it to be voted off i.e. that it is mainly Don singing and that the others have nothing much to do with the song.
If It was Glenn singing this song, would the reasons still be the same?

Anyway, enough of my ramblings and lets get on with the game :thumbsup:

The reasons for voting off TGFY (which went first, remember) were that the song was too bland, not that it focused on Glenn too much. Given that Glenn only sings three songs this can hardly be a cause for complaint. Don's songs, on the other hand....

I love LTBS and I believe people have been unfair to it, just as they were to TGFY.

Regarding some other comments, I have never agreed with the assumption that Don had to be showcased because he had a bigger solo career. This is supposed to be the reunion of a band.

I also don't agree with the notion of it being unplugged and therefore it had to consist almost entirely of ballads. To me this decision fatally undermined what should have been a significant occasion.

L101
10-24-2014, 07:54 PM
The reasons for voting off TGFY (which went first, remember) were that the song was too bland, not that it focused on Glenn too much. Given that Glenn only sings three songs this can hardly be a cause for complaint. Don's songs, on the other hand....

I love LTBS and I believe people have been unfair to it, just as they were to TGFY.

Regarding some other comments, I have never agreed with the assumption that Don had to be showcased because he had a bigger solo career. This is supposed to be the reunion of a band.

I also don't agree with the notion of it being unplugged and therefore it had to consist almost entirely of ballads. To me this decision fatally undermined what should have been a significant occasion.

Please don't take it to heart any comments I made/make about Glenn/Don. I was just stirring it up a bit (trying to start off an interesting debate about the music and song choices ) and I hope that we keep going with this....

When I looked at the set list (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/trade/eagleshfosecond.htm) of both nights , I agree they could have added more Glenn songs especially Lovers Moon but who knows what their reasons were for their song choices, although at this point, Don was singing the majority of the bands songs and Glenn was doing the behind the scenes work arranging and so forth. In the end, they only had two of Don's own songs but I really don't like the arrangement of New York Minute...

For me, unplugged means the songs are stripped back to the bare essentials, that is no orchestras and extras added in and should cover both ballads and rock - a show based purely on ballads is just boring to the extreme!!
The HFO DVD really got going towards the end when they started rocking out!! And yes, they should have made it a double disc DVD :)

P.S I liked The Girl From Yesterday....

Zanny Kingston
10-24-2014, 07:57 PM
At the last minute- I cast my vote for The Last Resort!

Freypower
10-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Please don't take it to heart any comments I made/make about Glenn/Don. I was just stirring it up a bit (trying to start off an interesting debate about the music and song choices ) and I hope that we keep going with this....

When I looked at the set list (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/trade/eagleshfosecond.htm) of both nights , I agree they could have added more Glenn songs especially Lovers Moon but who knows what their reasons were for their song choices, although at this point, Don was singing the majority of the bands songs and Glenn was doing the behind the scenes work arranging and so forth. In the end, they only had two of Don's own songs but I really don't like the arrangement of New York Minute...

For me, unplugged means the songs are stripped back to the bare essentials, that is no orchestras and extras added in and should cover both ballads and rock - a show based purely on ballads is just boring to the extreme!!
The HFO DVD really got going towards the end when they started rocking out!! And yes, they should have made it a double disc DVD :)

P.S I liked The Girl From Yesterday....

I agree with most of what you say except for this part. 'At this point'? They had been apart for 14 years. Why did they have to instantly revert to the Don vocal domination for this show just because that was the case in 1980? As the tour proved, they decided they couldn't continue with this if the tour were to be representative of what they were about. But that can't change HFO.

WalshFan88
10-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Hotel California

Midnight Visitor
10-24-2014, 09:55 PM
I had no idea that people didn't like that version of HC! :shrug: I'm flabbergasted. I thought it was just beautiful when it came out and still do.

WalshFan88
10-24-2014, 10:08 PM
I had no idea that people didn't like that version of HC! :shrug: I'm flabbergasted. I thought it was just beautiful when it came out and still do.

To me Hotel California isn't Hotel California without those electric guitar solos. If I may be so bold, they really "make" the song, IMO.... And the electric version of HC rocks a lot and more uptempo than the spanish flamenco version. I'm just not into that kind of music. Give me a Les Paul and a loud amp anyday over that stuff! Yeah, the lyrics are great and it is a masterpiece, but I never care to hear it without those electric solos note-for-note. And it's my favorite song of all time.

10-25-2014, 01:42 PM
First of all, this has been an interesting discussion and it just shows how different we all are when it comes to our likes and dislikes. I am always amazed at the emotional impact music has on us and I appreciate how civil everyone has been in disagreeing without being disagreeable.

As for me, although I may have given the impression that I don't like this DVD, that is far from the case. I really do like it a lot, it's just not my favorite for some the reasons I stated earlier. But, hey, as part of the anti-Lebowski crowd, 'I love the f***in' Eagles, man' - even if the DVD sucked, it would still be better than most, IMHO! :thumbsup:

My main beef is, like FP, this was a reunion of the band, so I, personally, would have preferred that the band had been showcased more instead of any one individual member. And I promise you, I would have felt exactly the same way if any of the members had been featured more than the others. This band has so many great hit songs and I would have just preferred a more equal distribution of Eagles songs to solo songs for this momentous occasion. I also have to agree with what Lacken01 said about 'unplugged' - rockers and uptempo songs can be stripped down too; it shouldn't mean you can't have variety and engage with the audience. And, as an aside, I believe HFO was produced by the MTV Unplugged team, but it technically wasn't an official 'Unplugged' production.

But, the bottom line for me is, no matter what, I still really enjoy this DVD. The songs are all wonderful, IMO. So far, the voting isn't going to my liking, but, hey, that's the way we roll in these Survivor games - ya win some, ya lose some. :grin:

And as a reminder, each round last 48 hours, so this round ends tonight. As usual, I'm gonna wait until closer to the end of the round to vote.

Glennsallnighter
10-25-2014, 04:47 PM
I vote off Learn to be Still again this round. Again I do concur with dreamer and others in saying that I'd have liked it to have been a bit more focussed on all the members in a more even way. Also I'd love to have seen the accoustic version of PEF on it. But I guess you gotta take what's offered or do without! And in general I DO like what's offered.

10-25-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm going to go ahead and vote now because I'll be going out to dinner this evening. So even though it probably won't matter this time around ...

And just to let you know that since Soda and I won't be around at the time the voting closes tonight, we may be late in posting the results of this round. The first one of us that is available will post them as soon as we can. Please refrain from voting in the next round until we post the announcement.

UK TimFan
10-25-2014, 06:32 PM
My vote is for 'The last resort'.

zeldabjr
10-25-2014, 06:48 PM
I vote for Help Me Through The Night

L101
10-25-2014, 07:06 PM

I know I'm going off topic a bit here but while we're waiting for the end of this round, thought I'd say that while I absolutely love the original version of HC complete with the electric guitar solos, I also love the version from Don's Inside Job concert - I call it the Reggae version of HC and listen to it nearly as much as the original :grooving:

Brooke
10-25-2014, 07:16 PM
I know I'm going off topic a bit here but while we're waiting for the end of this round, thought I'd say that while I absolutely love the original version of HC complete with the electric guitar solos, I also love the version from Don's Inside Job concert - I call it the Reggae version of HC and listen to it nearly as much as the original :grooving:

Oh my, I'm sorry, but i just can't listen to Don's reggae version! :nope:

However, I do love the HFO version. Just not as much as the original.

WalshFan88
10-25-2014, 07:28 PM
I like the reggae version even less! LOL... It'd probably be ok other than when Don makes the monkey noises I lose all composure...:rofl:

shunlvswx
10-25-2014, 07:31 PM
OK. I'm in the minority too. I love the acoustic version of HC. That's actually the first Eagles song I heard thanks to HFO special. Now Don's reggae version. Well. No comment. Its like hearing the rap version of LITFL. Some songs should stay the same. LOL Don didn't do a bad job rapping, but that's another story. LOL

L101
10-25-2014, 07:33 PM
I like the reggae version even less! LOL... It'd probably be ok other than when Don makes the monkey noises I lose all composure...:rofl:

Yeah, the monkey noises are not the best, I always miss them because I'm cringing so much at that bit :rofl: but thankfully it does get better but it looks like I could be one of the few people who like this version - wonder what that says about me and my taste in music :hilarious:

sodascouts
10-25-2014, 07:38 PM
I cast my vote for New York Minute!

Regarding HC, it's not so much that I dislike the new arrangement, but I find it inferior to the original. It just doesn't have the same energy, and the song is so dark that the acoustic version seems a bit too mellow to do its themes justice.

sodascouts
10-25-2014, 07:46 PM
PS I absolutely loathe that reggae version. The only thing that beats it for "Worst New Arrangement" is Don's rap of "Life of the Fast Lane" from VH1 Storytellers, which I believe he deliberately made sucky because he was forced to do an Eagles song by the network when he just wanted to do solo material.

WalshFan88
10-25-2014, 07:51 PM
PS I absolutely loathe that reggae version. The only thing that beats it for "Worst New Arrangement" is Don's rap of "Life of the Fast Lane" from VH1 Storytellers, which I believe he deliberately made sucky because he was forced to do an Eagles song by the network when he just wanted to do solo material.

Is there any video of the rap version? I have not heard it!

sodascouts
10-25-2014, 08:00 PM
I couldn't find it on a quick web search, but it's best that such a thing stay buried, IMHO! lol

Midnight Visitor
10-25-2014, 08:05 PM
I see someone has voted for my number one favorite song on the DVD. I won't say what it is. I just watched HFO last night. I'm having heart palpitations because I love this particular version of the song so very much and someone has already voted for it. I may be too sensitive to play. :nervous:

sodascouts
10-25-2014, 08:11 PM
The second song performance to be eliminated in the Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor is Learn to Be Still. “Learn to Be Still”, I know you thought you could find victory, but you never will. The tribe has spoken and it's time for you to go. You must leave the island immediately.

Votes
Learn to Be Still – 7
New York Minute – 5
The Last Resort – 3
Tequila Sunrise - 1
I Can’t Tell You Why – 1
Hotel California – 1
Help Me Thru the Night - 1

Vote Breakdown
Learn to Be Still - shunlvswx
Learn to Be Still - Midnight Visitor
Learn to Be Still - MaryCalifornia
Learn to Be Still - cynd1231
Learn to Be Still - thelastresort
Learn to Be Still – scottside
Learn to Be Still – Glennsallnighter
New York Minute – Lacken101
New York Minute – Brooke
New York Minute – Ive always been a dreamer
The Last Resort - UndertheWire
The Last Resort - Zanny Kingston
The Last Resort - UK TimFan
Tequila Sunrise - TimothyBFan
I Can’t Tell You Why – DivineDon
Hotel California - WalshFan88
Help Me Thru the Night - zeldabjr

Performances Eliminated:
Learn to Be Still 10/25

Performances Remaining:
Hotel California
Tequila Sunrise
The Heart of the Matter
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Wasted Time
I Can't Tell You Why
New York Minute
The Last Resort
Take It Easy
Life in the Fast Lane
In the City
Get Over It
Desperado

Voting for Round Three begins now.

sodascouts
10-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Hmm, the then-new songs are not faring so well, eh?

thelastresort
10-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Hmm, the then-new songs are not faring so well, eh?

There's a reason for that ;)

thelastresort
10-25-2014, 09:37 PM
Anyway, I vote for New York Minute. Beautiful song with typically-divine Henley lyrics but again it's just not a band performance. TBS's bass is excellent but it may as well be Don Henley playing with an orchestra plus seven random people.

This will get interesting once all the individual-heavy songs are gone, fear ye not :D

Witchy Woman
10-25-2014, 09:56 PM
I vote Get Over It. While not a bad song, it just doesn't do anything for me.

sodascouts
10-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Predictably...

Just watched the whole thing in chat and I've got my line of fire cemented, but I'll keep voting for this sucker until it goes!

GlennLover
10-25-2014, 10:52 PM
I missed the last round so I'll vote early this time so I won't forget. I vote New York Minute .

DivineDon
10-26-2014, 06:57 AM
I'm sticking to I Can't Tell You Why till its gone!!!! :hilarious:

L101
10-26-2014, 08:01 AM
I vote for New York Minute

Midnight Visitor
10-26-2014, 10:38 AM
I always thought the biggest mistake of this DVD was including 4 new songs. I only like one of them. So I'm voting for Love Will Keep Us Alive.

UndertheWire
10-26-2014, 11:14 AM
The Last Resort

cynd1231
10-26-2014, 11:19 AM
My vote this round goes to Help Me Thru The Night...it's my least favorite of those remaining.

scottside
10-26-2014, 12:09 PM
I vote for LOVE WILL KEEP US ALIVE. It doesn't sound like the Eagles singing the harmonies and it's just too saccharine for my tastes.

TimothyBFan
10-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Think I'm sticking with my last vote.

I vote for Tequila Sunrise

10-26-2014, 02:58 PM
I personally like the 4 new songs on the DVD and am glad they were included. The Girl from Yesterday is probably my least favorite of the four simply because I'm not a real big fan of country music; however, I think the vocal performance is absolutely superb. I think Learn to Be Still is very underrated - I love the lyrics, melody, and understated vocal delivery. Love Will Keep Us Alive has gorgeous harmonies, vocals, and melody. Get Over It just rocks and I love the attitude. Sorry to see that half of these are already gone. JMHO

This is a really tough game because I really like all the songs and the low-key atmosphere of the whole show doesn't make for much excitement for the viewer other than they all are looking pretty hot in it! I could watch them all day long! :lol:

Well darn, I have been searching for more criteria that I could use to judge the different performances on the DVD and, Brooke, I thought you may be on to something here. However, then I realized that all of them look smokin' hot throughout the entire DVD - so that's no help at all! :lol: So, for lack of any other distinguishing measurements, I just decided that I'd rather see the solo stuff eliminated before the Eagles songs. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it (for now)! :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
10-26-2014, 04:02 PM
I know it's OT for this game, but at the Fastlane facebook page, they've posted video of the some of the songs that didn't make the released video. Chills.

Zanny Kingston
10-26-2014, 05:41 PM
THE LAST RESORT

Freypower
10-26-2014, 06:28 PM
I always thought the biggest mistake of this DVD was including 4 new songs. I only like one of them. So I'm voting for Love Will Keep Us Alive.

Amazing how there is so much disagreement about this. In my view they had to do new material to prove that they still could. I feel about LWKUA the way others seem to about TGFY & LTBS, but I'm not voting for it until we have got rid of.. New York Minute.

sodascouts
10-26-2014, 06:59 PM
I admire them for including new material. It showed they weren't just resting on their laurels and that the "resumption" was more than a money grab.

WalshFan88
10-26-2014, 07:01 PM
I really love Get Over It....it's one of their best songs and I wish they still played it. I think it would go over well. I'd love for them to add that and VOL to their current setlist (with no substitution!).

MaryCalifornia
10-26-2014, 07:59 PM
I vote for The Last Resort

WF and I agree on 99% of everything, but I have to say I love this version of HC, especially how it begins and ends. I don't compare it to the original, which I also like, I just enjoy both.

Midnight Visitor
10-26-2014, 08:26 PM
Amazing how there is so much disagreement about this. In my view they had to do new material to prove that they still could. I feel about LWKUA the way others seem to about TGFY & LTBS, but I'm not voting for it until we have got rid of.. New York Minute.

In my eyes, they were the Eagles. So many classic songs were missing. We'd all waited 14 years. They didn't have to prove a thing.

Freypower
10-26-2014, 09:19 PM
In my eyes, they were the Eagles. So many classic songs were missing. We'd all waited 14 years. They didn't have to prove a thing.

There is no argument that many classic songs were missing, but if they had done nothing new they would have just been a nostalgia act. There would not have been much point to it.

Do you also feel this way about LROOE?

Midnight Visitor
10-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Do you also feel this way about LROOE?

How could I?? They were an on going entity at that point. Obviously I didn't have to wait 14 years to hear those classic songs. At that point we all were waiting for new music.

And, I love Get Over It. Can't understand why they don't do it now. In fact I like Get Over It more then anything on LROOE.

Brooke
10-27-2014, 02:04 PM
I just love Get Over It! Maybe my top choice on this album! It's new, it's fun, and it's my Eagles back together again and rockin'! No votes for it for me for a long time yet! :hand:

I'm going with New York Minute, again!

Glennsallnighter
10-27-2014, 05:04 PM
I'm going with NEW York Minute this round as well. It's not that I don't like it or Dons performance of it but I do find it a little depressing. And on a weekend where I've heard of a suicide of a friends family member I'd rather see it gone. It is as we would agree rather too 'Doncentric' for an Eagles DVD in any case

zeldabjr
10-27-2014, 05:19 PM
I love New York Minute...so I'm still voting for Help Me Through The Night

UK TimFan
10-27-2014, 05:57 PM

WalshFan88
10-27-2014, 06:21 PM
"Hotel California"

10-27-2014, 07:55 PM
I also think New York Minute is a fantastic song, but it is my choice to go this round. However, it doesn't look like it needs my vote, so I will vote strategically this time. So my next choice is another solo song ...

I cast my vote for Help Me Through the Night.

10-27-2014, 08:08 PM
The next song performance to be eliminated in the Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor is New York Minute. “New York Minute”, you’d better take a fool's advice cause one day you’re here, next day you’re gone. The tribe has spoken, so don’t try to hang on tooth and nail - please leave the island immediately.

Votes
New York Minute – 7
The Last Resort – 4
Help Me Through the Night – 3
Love Will Keep Us Alive – 2
I Can’t Tell You Why – 1
Tequila Sunrise – 1
Get Over It – 1
Hotel California – 1

Vote Breakdown
New York Minute – thelastresort
New York Minute – GlennLover
New York Minute – Lacken101
New York Minute – Brooke
New York Minute – Glennsallnighter
The Last Resort – UndertheWire
The Last Resort – Zanny Kingston
The Last Resort – UK Timfan
Help Me Through the Night – cynd1231
Help Me Through the Night – zeldabjr
Help Me Through the Night – Ive always been a dreamer
Love Will Keep Us Alive – Midnight Visitor
Love Will Keep Us Alive – scottside
Get Over It – Witchy Woman
Tequila Sunrise – TimothyBFan

Performances Eliminated:
Learn to Be Still 10/25
New York Minute 10/27

Performances Remaining:
Hotel California
Tequila Sunrise
The Heart of the Matter
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Wasted Time
I Can't Tell You Why
The Last Resort
Take It Easy
Life in the Fast Lane
In the City
Get Over It
Desperado

Voting for Round Four begins now.

WalshFan88
10-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Hotel California

Glennsallnighter
10-27-2014, 08:21 PM
I won't vote just yet as I want to analyse the performances again but I must add its great to see that we have such active participation and discussion on this DVD and so many people voting on it as well. Only adds to the interest.

thelastresort
10-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Should really start to get interesting now. I'll refrain from voting for now as I want to see how it pans out. Anyone from now on who votes for my beloved is going on the ignore list ;)

MaryCalifornia
10-27-2014, 08:41 PM
I vote for The Last Resort (sorry, TLR!)

Freypower
10-27-2014, 09:20 PM
OK, TLR, you can ignore me. I vote for The Last Resort because based on previous rounds it has a reasonable chance of going next. Whoever decided to sequence this directly after NYM - I don't know what they were thinking. As for the performance Glenn doesn't even play piano on it. The rest of them just sit there virtually unseen until the end.

10-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Should really start to get interesting now. I'll refrain from voting for now as I want to see how it pans out. Anyone from now on who votes for my beloved is going on the ignore list ;)

lol, tlr. I suggest we try to form an alliance to save The Last Resort. Based on the votes in the previous rounds, I was thinking this round will be a battle between The Last Resort and Help Me Through the Night. They are both beautiful songs, IMO, but once again, we are supposed to be judging the performances instead of the songs. However, both performances very much feature the lead singer instead of the band and are similar in style. So, I am suggesting that we save the Eagles song. So, if you want to save The Last Resort, please join the coalition.

SAVE THE LAST RESORT!!!

VOTE FOR HELP ME THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!

Since I'm not overly invested in voting for anything else this round, I'll definitely get it started ...

Midnight Visitor
10-27-2014, 09:48 PM
SAVE THE LAST RESORT!!!

VOTE FOR HELP ME THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!

Since I'm not overly invested in voting for anything else this round, I'll definitely get it started ...

No way, no how!! HMTtN is my fav. on the DVD!! Most moving performance by far.

The Last Resort gets my vote and should have been booted before NY Minute!

GlennLover
10-27-2014, 09:50 PM
I vote Help Me Through The Night. I like it, but not as much as others still left.

WalshFan88
10-27-2014, 11:44 PM
I might be the only one who prefers Help Me Through The Night to Pretty Maids All In A Row....

MaryCalifornia
10-28-2014, 01:26 AM
Nope, not at all, Austin. I love HMTTN. It gets stuck in my head, love those harmonies. And, it is so moving, I am really surprised to see it on the chopping block this early in the voting. I love the live footage in HoTE, too, but I know we're not voting on that one.

scottside
10-28-2014, 08:05 AM
I vote for LOVE WILL KEEP US ALIVE.

UndertheWire
10-28-2014, 08:52 AM
I think of Help Me Thu the Night as part of Eagles history. The original recording was the first time Joe worked with Glenn, Don H and Randy and then the live recorded version had Glenn, Don H and Don F. Apart from being melodic, it's touching.

I'll stick with The Last Resort until it goes. After that, I'm going to struggle.

L101
10-28-2014, 09:06 AM
I love both TLR and HMTTN and at this point, I can't choose either one so I'm going to vote for Hotel California

I know many don't agree with me but I love that its just Don singing for most of the The Last Resort and the others join in for the ending - I read somewhere that Glenn has called this 'Henley's Opus' and that's what it is on HFO!
I also love the harmonies on HMTTN - the song is just mellow and laid back and its nice to see them so relaxed and just enjoying the song.

I still don't like this arrangement of HC - the Spanish guitars just annoy me :grin: and that's why I'm voting for it

Brooke
10-28-2014, 10:11 AM
It's very hard for me to decide on what should go next. HMTTN and PMAIAR are so very similar so I will go with

Help Me Through The Night.

cynd1231
10-28-2014, 10:11 AM
Once again my vote goes to Help Me Thru The Night.

shunlvswx
10-28-2014, 10:22 AM
I have a good idea of what I want to vote for, but I'm going to wait.

Midnight Visitor
10-28-2014, 10:53 AM
I might be the only one who prefers Help Me Through The Night to Pretty Maids All In A Row....

Nope!! Not on this DVD anyway. Help Me is a far superior performance to Pretty Maids. I thought we were supposed to play this game in relation to performance. Joe's phrasing is slightly off during this performance of Pretty Maids. (He does it better now.) However, it's dead on AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL for Help Me. Baking vocals, note perfect. Instrumentation is exquisite here. Joe's shaking like a leaf as he sings Help Me. Sober for only months, Help Me takes on a whole new life during this performance. The last time they performed Help Me was 19 years earlier!

Now as far as studio recordings go I prefer Pretty Maids. I guess that's one of the reasons Help Me is so special here. As I play this game I often am left wondering if we've all watched the same DVD. I'm also left wondering if everyone has watched it RECENTLY. Having seen it this week I'm really familiar w/these performances. I sat down and rated each song, etc....

I still think people are voting based on how much they like the song as opposed to the performance.

DivineDon
10-28-2014, 12:00 PM
I can't believe all my favourite songs are being voted off :confused: HMTTN and PMAIAR are gorgeous while TLR is just sublime...performance wise and as songs in their own right??? I'm super shocked :woah:

Here we go again, I Can't Tell You Why...(and no, it seems I can't!!)

TimothyBFan
10-28-2014, 02:59 PM
I do have to keep reminding myself that's it's about this DVD and NOT the songs themselves. So I've rethought my votes for TS. I told myself next on my list would be HC but I think I need to try & help save The Last Resort. I remember that this performance of TLR is the one that actually made me take notice of the lyrics to this song.

I vote for Help Me Through The Night.

zeldabjr
10-28-2014, 05:52 PM
I vote for Help Me Through The Night...

Freypower
10-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Nope!! Not on this DVD anyway. Help Me is a far superior performance to Pretty Maids. I thought we were supposed to play this game in relation to performance. Joe's phrasing is slightly off during this performance of Pretty Maids. (He does it better now.) However, it's dead on AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL for Help Me. Baking vocals, note perfect. Instrumentation is exquisite here. Joe's shaking like a leaf as he sings Help Me. Sober for only months, Help Me takes on a whole new life during this performance. The last time they performed Help Me was 19 years earlier!

Now as far as studio recordings go I prefer Pretty Maids. I guess that's one of the reasons Help Me is so special here. As I play this game I often am left wondering if we've all watched the same DVD. I'm also left wondering if everyone has watched it RECENTLY. Having seen it this week I'm really familiar w/these performances. I sat down and rated each song, etc....

I still think people are voting based on how much they like the song as opposed to the performance.

I'm not. So far I have voted entirely on performance, although my next vote which be based more on my indifference towards the song.

I agree with your comments about HMTTN. There is more to connect with here than there is with some other performances. My own preference is for PMIAR though because the rest of the band are more involved.

sodascouts
10-28-2014, 09:38 PM
I agree with Midnight Visitor. The performance of HMTTN is incredibly moving. In an effort to save it...

I cast my vote for The Last Resort.

shunlvswx
10-29-2014, 04:30 PM
Well these are two hard decisions. I love both HMTTN and TLR. Both Don and Joe showed emotion and did a great job with their songs. I love the end of TLR when the guys turned to Scott. Then Joe does a great job with playing acoustic guitar throughout the song and with Don F doing a solo.

I think HMTTN moved me more than TLR. So I'm sorry to vote against Don again because I actually love the song and performance of both songs, but I'm going to go with The Last Resort

thelastresort
10-29-2014, 04:33 PM
I suspect it's in vain, but I vote for Help Me Thru the Night.

Glennsallnighter
10-29-2014, 06:23 PM
I will vote Help Me Through the Night off mainly in an effort to save The Last Resort which I really love.

Zanny Kingston
10-29-2014, 06:46 PM
THE LAST RESORT

UK TimFan
10-29-2014, 07:11 PM

10-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Well, in a nailbiter of a round, we have a tie. So, by virtue of the tiebreaker rule, the next song performance to be eliminated in the Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor is The Last Resort. “The Last Resort, the tribe has spoken, so you can leave it all behind, and sail to Lahaina. You must kiss this paradise goodbye and leave the island immediately.

Votes
The Last Resort – 8
Help Me Through the Night – 8
Hotel California – 2
Love Will Keep Us Alive – 1
I Can’t Tell You Why – 1

Previous Votes
The Last Resort – 8
Help Me Through the Night – 4

Vote Breakdown
The Last Resort – Freypower
The Last Resort – Midnight Visitor
The Last Resort – UndertheWire
The Last Resort – sodascouts
The Last Resort – shunlvswx
The Last Resort – Zanny Kingston
The Last Resort – UK Timfan
Help Me Through the Night – GlennLover
Help Me Through the Night – Brooke
Help Me Through the Night – cynd1231
Help Me Through the Night – TimothyBFan
Help Me Through the Night – thelastresort
Help Me Through the Night – Glennsallnighter

Performances Eliminated:
Learn to Be Still 10/25
New York Minute 10/27
The Last Resort 10/29

Performances Remaining:
Hotel California
Tequila Sunrise
The Heart of the Matter
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Wasted Time
I Can't Tell You Why
Take It Easy
Life in the Fast Lane
In the City
Get Over It
Desperado

Voting for Round Five begins now.

MaryCalifornia
10-30-2014, 01:23 AM
I believe we are now at the point in this survivor game where most of us will be voting for performances we truly enjoy, only because we have to actually choose one!! With that said, and not because I don't like the performance on HFO, I am voting for

In The City

I really like the background aah aahs and I like Joe's singing, but there is just not a lot going on that is particularly interesting or moving about it. Also, I think it would have been sweet to go from TIE to LITFL to Get Over It.

MV gonna be mad at me.

scottside
10-30-2014, 08:16 AM
I cast my vote for LOVE WILL KEEP US ALIVE.

Midnight Visitor
10-30-2014, 10:54 AM
I believe we are now at the point in this survivor game where most of us will be voting for performances we truly enjoy, only because we have to actually choose one!! With that said, and not because I don't like the performance on HFO, I am voting for

In The City

MV gonna be mad at me.

Nah, there's only one of the 3 Joe songs I find truly spectacular on HFO. The other 2 are just plain old great. ;) I hope everyone knows I'm not really mad. Just playing the game. I'll reserve my right to vote until a little later.

Brooke
10-30-2014, 11:48 AM
I will continue with my vote for Help Me Through the Night.

Freypower
10-30-2014, 05:32 PM

In The City

I really like the background aah aahs and I like Joe's singing, but there is just not a lot going on that is particularly interesting or moving about it. Also, I think it would have been sweet to go from TIE to LITFL to Get Over It.

MV gonna be mad at me.

I'm afraid not and I hate to do this to you, but I am now voting for Love Will Keep Us Alive, which consists of them sitting in a line strumming, Tim singing the blandest lyrics of any Eagles song, and the most anonymous un Eagles sounding harmonies Glenn & Don have ever done. And it's a cover. It is my least favourite song & performance on this DVD & I wanted it to go from the start, but held back because I know how popular it is. When I saw what happened to TGFY I realised I shouldn't have.

Also the next few performances I will be voting for aren't particular favourites of mine either. I am ambivalent about HFO at best. I think most of it could have been so much better that it's hard to be very enthusiastic about it.

MaryCalifornia
10-30-2014, 06:10 PM
No worries, FP!

I didn't know LWKUA is a cover. I know Paul Carrack wrote it, but didn't know he released it before the Eagles did. Will have to hear that version.

Freypower
10-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Perhaps I should have said 'it wasn't written by any member of the Eagles'. I tend to use the word 'cover' regardless of whether the writer recorded it first.

thelastresort
10-30-2014, 07:19 PM
I vote for Love Will Keep Us Alive. I know I disagreed with FP before in this game but I can't fault anything she said above. The lyrics are so weak (in an emotional sense) and desperate, it lacks that cutting edge and charm a lot of the other Eagles' love songs have. Quite how it's lasted as a staple for two decades I don't know. Like a couple of the other songs from the concert too, it's very musically anonymous too. Sorry TBS fans!

MaryCalifornia
10-30-2014, 07:57 PM
I will take a stab at saving it:

Songwriting credits shouldn't be a factor in this survivor game, it's supposed to be based on the performance.

Also, I suggest that on paper, LWKUA could be a VERY BAD song!! I believe that it is Timothy's singing it that makes it listenable, and, I would go so far as to say that it may have been a hit because lots of non-Eagles fans as well as some Eagles fans really liked it. The non-Eagles fans who heard it on AC channels were like, "What's this? I like it!"

So, acknowledging that the song and lyrics might be questionable, I would argue that Tim's performance of it, especially on the HFO DVD where his voice is clear and note perfect, is particularly impressive!! The guys are all front and seem into it. That's all I got, I'm resigned to seeing it go soon.

Edit: I thought of one other thing - it is the first new song on the DVD, so that is sort of exciting if watching the DVD was your first exposure to HFO - hearing the first new Eagles music in over 14 years! A very cool moment in the overall product.

WalshFan88
10-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Hotel California

sodascouts
10-30-2014, 10:25 PM
I don't think LWKUA has terrible lyrics - perhaps they're a bit trite sometimes, but they are a sweet sentiment. Timothy sings it beautifully, of course.

I'm going to wait a bit to vote and see what's in danger. I definitely want HMTTN to stay another round.

GlennLover
10-31-2014, 11:40 AM
I vote Pretty Maids All In A Row. At this point in the competition it's mainly the mood I'm in at the time I go to vote that determine what goes next. I know what my top favourites are, but it's become very difficult to rate the rest of the remaining performances.

DivineDon
10-31-2014, 12:22 PM
I vote Pretty Maids All In A Row. At this point in the competition it's mainly the mood I'm in at the time I go to vote that determine what goes next. I know what my top favourites are, but it's become very difficult to rate the rest of the remaining performances.

OH nooooo, I'm afraid I can't stand this any longer - PMAIAR is one of my all time favourites so in the interest of my blood pressure and sanity, I am abstaining for the rest of the 'game' ....
(I have a fair notion of which two songs are going to end up fighting it out anyway)

L101
10-31-2014, 02:53 PM
OH nooooo, I'm afraid I can't stand this any longer - PMAIAR is one of my all time favourites so in the interest of my blood pressure and sanity, I am abstaining for the rest of the 'game' ....
(I have a fair notion of which two songs are going to end up fighting it out anyway)

DD - don't leave the game, us Don fans seem to be becoming rarer than one of Don's smiles lately :lol:

I'm going to vote for Hotel California again.

UndertheWire
10-31-2014, 02:55 PM
It's suddenly got a lot harder. I was intending to wait as long as possible in case I needed to save a song but lots of others seem to be playing the same game. As I want an early night, I'm going ahead.

I vote for Hotel California.

I like this performance but I'm looking ahead as I don't want it to be the overall winner.

shunlvswx
10-31-2014, 05:39 PM
Love Will Keep Us Alive

Islander canuck
10-31-2014, 05:42 PM

Thanks tar.

I vote for Love Will Keep Us Alive.

Zanny Kingston
10-31-2014, 06:05 PM
I vote for LOVE WILL KEEP US ALIVE-

Glennsallnighter
10-31-2014, 06:51 PM

Oh don't leave DD! We need all the Irish we have! My faves have been voted off too.

This round I will vote off Love will keep us alive.

sodascouts
10-31-2014, 06:58 PM
I'll go ahead and vote my heart:

I cast my vote for Wasted Time.

It's a good song, but I prefer the performances where the entire band is more engaged.

10-31-2014, 07:57 PM
Well, I'm another one that thinks Love Will Keep Us Alive is a very pretty song. And even though the lyrics are not the making of literary genius, the romantic side of me loves it. I love the melody and Tim's vocals are superb. It was my hopes that Help Me Through the Night would be eliminated this round, but that's not gonna happen. It won't do me any good to vote for it, so I'll vote strategically ...

I cast my vote for The Heart of the Matter.

10-31-2014, 08:11 PM
The next song performance to be eliminated in the Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor is Love Will Keep Us Alive. “Love Will Keep Us Alive”, you may have had the will to survive, but the tribe rendered a different verdict for you. I know you must be feeling emptiness inside, but sometimes you just gotta let it ride. Now, please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Love Will Keep Us Alive – 7
Hotel California – 3
Help Me Through the Night – 1
In the City – 1
Pretty Maids All in a Row – 1
Wasted Time – 1
The Heart of the Matter – 1

Vote Breakdown
Love Will Keep Us Alive – Freypower
Love Will Keep Us Alive – thelastresort
Love Will Keep Us Alive – shunlvswx
Love Will Keep Us Alive – Islander canuck
Love Will Keep Us Alive– Zanny Kingston
Love Will Keep Us Alive – Glennsallnighter
Hotel California – UndertheWire
In the City– MaryCalifornia
Help Me Through the Night – Brooke
Pretty Maids All in a Row – GlennLover
Wasted Time – sodascouts
The Heart of the Matter – Ive always been a dreamer

Performances Eliminated:
Learn to Be Still 10/25
New York Minute 10/27
The Last Resort 10/29

Performances Remaining:
Hotel California
Tequila Sunrise
The Heart of the Matter
Wasted Time
I Can't Tell You Why
Take It Easy
Life in the Fast Lane
In the City
Get Over It
Desperado

Voting for Round Six begins now.

Freypower
10-31-2014, 10:44 PM
Bizarre. HMTTN which I was sure would go next went from 8 votes to 1.

I don't have to wait. My next vote is for Wasted Time again because of the over emphasis on one member instead of the band. Though I have to say, and I would also say it for Desperado, I prefer this performance to the overwrought Farewell One version.

WalshFan88
10-31-2014, 11:22 PM
Hotel California

scottside
11-01-2014, 09:35 AM
I vote for HOTEL CALIFORNIA.

thelastresort
11-01-2014, 10:39 AM
I vote for Hotel California - it just seems wrong to have such a legendary song reformed into an acoustic (I sometimes think Mexican-style) piece. The outro solos are impressive but it doesn't really do much for me.

WalshFan88
11-01-2014, 11:23 AM
I vote for Hotel California - it just seems wrong to have such a legendary song reformed into an acoustic (I sometimes think Mexican-style) piece. The outro solos are impressive but it doesn't really do much for me.

My sentiment exactly.

Midnight Visitor
11-01-2014, 01:00 PM

Wrong? I'm pretty sure that's for the guys in the band to decide. Oh wait, they decided 20 years ago. I think this is a very moving version of the song. I love when a band revisits a classic. Don's vocals are incredible. Felder & Joe play their opposite solos. We get to hear something old turn into something new. The song is more beautiful then ever. I feel we're all blessed to be able to listen to more then one version of this fantastic song.

My vote is for Heart of the Matter. This is a super weak version of a solo Don song. Not moving, not particularly interesting. Nothing new here.

thelastresort
11-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Wrong? I'm pretty sure that's for the guys in the band to decide. Oh wait, they decided 20 years ago.

Indeed it is, it is blatantly entirely at their own prerogative how they choose to perform their songs, however that should not stop myself or anyone else on this board (or outwith it) from disagreeing with it or not apprecaiting it to an equal degree. A lot on here are not enamoured to the new versions of Witchy Woman or Heartache Tonight, however obviously Glenn and co. decided it was a nice thing to do (I personally like them more than the originals). Hotel California to me is the mystery of Felder's doubleneck, the huge outro solos (I believe it was slightly abridged in the HFO acoustic version) and Don's incredible ability to drum and sing simultaneously. Sadly, the HFO lacks all three.

Midnight Visitor
11-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Indeed it is, it is blatantly entirely at their own prerogative how they choose to perform their songs, however that should not stop myself or anyone else on this board (or outwith it) from disagreeing with it or not apprecaiting it to an equal degree. A lot on here are not enamoured to the new versions of Witchy Woman or Heartache Tonight, however obviously Glenn and co. decided it was a nice thing to do (I personally like them more than the originals). Hotel California to me is the mystery of Felder's doubleneck, the huge outro solos (I believe it was slightly abridged in the HFO acoustic version) and Don's incredible ability to drum and sing simultaneously. Sadly, the HFO lacks all three.

I think using the term wrong in relation to art is pretty questionable. I'm not telling anyone to like it. I understand clearly that many don't. I think the new Witchy Woman doesn't have the same groove as the original but I don't think it's wrong.

Zanny Kingston
11-01-2014, 03:27 PM
just throwing my two cents into the debate- I really like the HFO version of HC, its not wrong, its different. To me it shows that this truly undeniable classic American song stands not only the test of time, but the test of a rearrangement. In my opinion though, Only the Eagles could have re arranged this one and made it sound great.

The original version is undeniably awesome, and to me, no offense to Steurt Smith, I was not as impressed seeing the song done live with him as when I saw it in the Walsh/Felder days. But of course, as someone once said "time passes, things change"

I do consider myself fortunate to have seen Walsh and Felder together, it really was one of those once in a lifetime chemistry things when they played together.

Conversely, I really like the new version of WW better than the original- everyone has their own opinion. I am going to hold off a bit on my vote for this round.

L101
11-01-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm going to vote for Hotel California again this round. The HFO version does not do it justice. To me, its a rock song with the double neck guitar and with Don drumming and singing simultaneously, its not an acoustic song.

I also think the new version of WW is brilliant - great drums, great guitars and just all out oomph with this song - its way better than the original which I didn't particularly like. Heartache tonight is also better than before - the song feels much more alive and they really seem to enjoy playing it - that's the fastest I've seen Don play the guitar!! :grin:

One thing I am going to say about the voting for this game - to me using the reason of "over emphasis on one member instead of the band" is not a valid reason - its just a different way of saying that if a certain band member is singing a song, then that song has to go! The entire band does not need to be included in every single song, and to use that as a reason for voting for a song is misguided and not focusing on the HFO performance at all.

I know its going to get harder each round to vote for a song, so it means that I'll have to force myself to watch the DVD again to study their performances :singer: and help me decide......

Freypower
11-01-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm going to vote for Hotel California again this round. The HFO version does not do it justice. To me, its a rock song with the double neck guitar and with Don drumming and singing simultaneously, its not an acoustic song.

I also think the new version of WW is brilliant - great drums, great guitars and just all out oomph with this song - its way better than the original which I didn't particularly like. Heartache tonight is also better than before - the song feels much more alive and they really seem to enjoy playing it - that's the fastest I've seen Don play the guitar!! :grin:

One thing I am going to say about the voting for this game - to me using the reason of "over emphasis on one member instead of the band" is not a valid reason - its just a different way of saying that if a certain band member is singing a song, then that song has to go! The entire band does not need to be included in every single song, and to use that as a reason for voting for a song is misguided and not focusing on the HFO performance at all.

I know its going to get harder each round to vote for a song, so it means that I'll have to force myself to watch the DVD again to study their performances :singer: and help me decide......

For a start all reasons for voting are valid. I draw your attention to the rules of this game:

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember... it's still just a game.

As I was the person who used the phrase 'over emphasis on one member' that is precisely what I meant; over emphasis. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's Don Henley singing. It's just that for about three quarters of this show, it's him singing and the rest of the band just sit there doing nothing or hardly anything. This, as I have said before, was supposed to be a reunion of the biggest American band of the 70s and most of it is a procession of long, slow ballads, most of which happen to feature Don Henley. No, the entire band didn't have to be equally featured in every song. I have no problem with Henley being so prominent on some of the songs, just not this many. It is overdone. I don't believe I am 'misguided' to point this out and I also am focusing on the performances as much as I can. But when so many of them are so similar, you have to choose, and that is what I have done. I could have gone for In The City next, but the basic fact is that it's more interesting to watch.

So while I am here, I will say that the performance of HC is one of my favourites & I love how they emphasise the Mexican feel. But I can understand why others prefer the original and I stress that I consider their opinions valid.

L101
11-01-2014, 05:12 PM
For a start all reasons for voting are valid. I draw your attention to the rules of this game:

I just want to make it clear that this is not a personal attack on you or on anyone else and if my comment came across that way, I apologize - your comment just happened to be the one I used as an example - of course everyone is free to use what ever reason they want to, to vote for a song and everyone is entitled to an opinion on what those reasons are....

I may choose to step back and not vote anymore in this game, I'll decide that in a day or two as the game has lost the fun element for me.

Freypower
11-01-2014, 05:14 PM
There is no need for you to do that, but unfortunately as it was my comment you criticised, I felt I had to respond.

MaryCalifornia
11-01-2014, 05:53 PM
There is someone out there who doesn't like the new arrangement of Witchy Woman???!!! Who is this person??!! :hilarious:

I have one thought to add about this version of HC. I think that Don and Glenn (and Irving) were very calculating and strategic about how they handled it. They were basically announcing to the world that they didn't need and didn't intend to hang their hat on their biggest hit ever - and, not only were they not going to play it as the encore, they were going to get it out of the way first AND they were going to play a new version of it! It was a statement that tied in with including four new Eagles songs and Don's solo hits - trying to package themselves as a valid act for the new era.

Don't forget that the original version started out as Mexican-sounding, i.e. Mexican reggae.

UndertheWire
11-01-2014, 06:50 PM
I have one thought to add about this version of HC. I think that Don and Glenn (and Irving) were very calculating and strategic about how they handled it. They were basically announcing to the world that they didn't need and didn't intend to hang their hat on their biggest hit ever - and, not only were they not going to play it as the encore, they were going to get it out of the way first AND they were going to play a new version of it! It was a statement that tied in with including four new Eagles songs and Don's solo hits - trying to package themselves as a valid act for the new era.

Don't forget that the original version started out as Mexican-sounding, i.e. Mexican reggae.

Was Hotel California the first song performed? I know it's the first on the DVD but that's obviously chopped up. The "Second Night" bootleg has it as the eighth song (just before the string soundcheck) and Peaceful Easy Feeling as the opener.

GlennLover
11-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Was Hotel California the first song performed? I know it's the first on the DVD but that's obviously chopped up. The "Second Night" bootleg has it as the eighth song (just before the string soundcheck) and Peaceful Easy Feeling as the opener.

I had the same thought, UtW. I didn't think that HC was actually played at the beginning of the performances.

sodascouts
11-01-2014, 09:50 PM
I'm surprised at all the votes HC is getting, but not upset about it. It's just a game, after all. Then again, when one loves the band and these songs so much, one naturally is going to be passionate about it. The key is to strike a balance if you want to enjoy the game.

For me, having the entire band engaged enhances the performance. It's not about eliminating all the songs by a certain band member. It's about keeping the songs I think best exhibited the band. It's partly why I helped voted off the TLR to save HMTTN, and it's why...

MaryCalifornia
11-01-2014, 11:31 PM
I had the same thought, UtW. I didn't think that HC was actually played at the beginning of the performances.

I'm sure you guys are right about the two live shows.

thelastresort
11-02-2014, 06:34 AM
The setlist for both evenings was:

Peaceful Easy Feeling
Best of My Love
Tequila Sunrise
Heart of the Matter
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Learn to Be Still
Hotel California
Wasted Time
Wasted Time (Reprise)
Lover's Moon
I Can't Tell You Why
The Girl from Yesterday
New York Minute
The Last Resort
Take It Easy
One of These Nights
In the City
Heartache Tonight
Life in the Fast Lane
Get Over It
Desperado

(Source - http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagles/1994/warner-bros-studios-sound-stage-burbank-ca-7bd8c298.html)

Sorry for the off-topicness!

UndertheWire
11-02-2014, 01:47 PM
With Wasted Time, at least they are all on their instruments, even Don on the drums, and you can hear their contributions. Heart of the Matter has a nice closeness, even if it's a Don solo. I also feel like giving them credit for doing something different with Hotel California. So this time, my vote is for

In the City

MaryCalifornia
11-02-2014, 02:12 PM
I vote for In the City

TLR - I wish they would have just made the DVD of the show with all of the songs, in order, instead of packaging it as they did. But, this is not a new sentiment around these parts! I gave my rationale for why they handled HC as they did, but I don't have an explanation for leaving out PEF, etc...

UndertheWire
11-02-2014, 02:34 PM
MC, I found your rationale interesting and it might be why they put HC first in the version that was broadcast.

Glennsallnighter
11-02-2014, 04:46 PM
I like a lot of what remains and it is getting more difficult to vote off songs and performances that I love!! Think I will go back to a previous vote and vote off 'Help Me Through The Night'

11-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Well we certainly like a lot of participation in the game because it can generate some really interesting discussion, which is what has happened here. However, you do have to develop somewhat of a ‘thick skin’ to be able to enjoy it. It’s definitely not worth playing if it makes your blood pressure go sky high. Very little has gone the way I would have liked so far in this game, but I bet most people playing would probably say the same thing. But, I still enjoy playing because I enjoy hearing different view points. To me, there are no losers when it comes to Eagles songs.

Now, I honestly thought that Help Me Through the Night would be gone by now. As far as this round, I hate to see Hotel California go, but I don’t know of any way to save it at this point. It’s hard to say how many outstanding votes there are because not as many players vote on weekends. I have often said that sometimes you just shouldn’t mess with perfection and I think that applies to the original version of Hotel California. However, while I don’t love this acoustic arrangement, I still prefer the performance over some of the others on the DVD. And, BTW, I feel exactly the same way about the current live versions of Witchy Woman and Heartache Tonight. While I enjoy these new arrangements, I definitely prefer the originals. In any event, since Hotel California only has four votes, I am going to wait a while longer to see what happens before voting. I really don’t have the appetite for voting for Wasted Time or In the City yet either. I absolutely love Wasted Time and the way it is performed here. As far as In the City, there are only a total of four uptempo songs on this DVD and, for me, they provide a boost of energy that is very much needed in this performance, so I don’t plan on voting for any of them yet.

Zanny Kingston
11-02-2014, 07:32 PM
I am casting my vote for The Heart of the matter.

GlennLover
11-02-2014, 08:27 PM
If my calculations are correct HC has 4 votes, Help Me Through The Night has one & Wasted Time, Heart of The Matter & In The City are tied with 2 votes each. I don't want to see HC go yet so I will wait a bit to see if any more votes come in for one of the latter three & vote for that.

zeldabjr
11-02-2014, 08:28 PM
I love this version of HC...just my two cents...

I'm voting for Help Me Through The Night

11-02-2014, 08:48 PM

That makes three votes for it. If we can get one more, it will tie and save Hotel California.

UK TimFan
11-02-2014, 08:49 PM
My vote is for 'In the city'.

GlennLover
11-02-2014, 08:54 PM
I vote Help Me Through The Night.

11-02-2014, 09:11 PM
In an exciting last minute rally, we have a tie. So, by virtue of the tiebreaker rule, the next song performance to be eliminated in the Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor is Help Me Through the Night. “Help Me Through the Night”, the tribe has spoken and we took the dream away. It’s such a price to pay and it won’t ease your pain, but you must leave the island immediately.

Votes
Help Me Through the Night – 4
Hotel California – 4
In the City – 3
Wasted Time – 2
The Heart of the Matter – 2

Previous Votes
Help Me Through the Night – 13
Hotel California – 9

Vote Breakdown
Help Me Through the Night – Glennsallnighter
Help Me Through the Night – GlennLover
Hotel California – scottside
Hotel California – thelastresort
In the City – UndertheWire
In the City – UK Timfan
Wasted Time – Freypower
Wasted Time – sodascouts
The Heart of the Matter – Midnight Visitor
The Heart of the Matter – Zanny Kingston

Performances Eliminated:
Learn to Be Still 10/25
New York Minute 10/27
The Last Resort 10/29

Performances Remaining:
Hotel California
Tequila Sunrise
The Heart of the Matter
Wasted Time
I Can't Tell You Why
Take It Easy
Life in the Fast Lane
In the City
Get Over It
Desperado

Voting for Round Seven begins now.

UK TimFan
11-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Sorry folks, for nearly stuffing up the vote to save HC in the last round.
I thought I was being helpful by voting for 'In the city' (as per GlennLover's post), only to find that dreamer had voted for 'Help me through the night' while I was typing and pressing 'submit'.

ADDED:
Duh! I meant to say, that had I seen dreamer's post in time I would have voted for 'Help me through the night'.

11-02-2014, 10:18 PM
No problem, UK Timfan. I knew what you meant. Anyway, we were able to save Hotel California for another round. I knew that Help Me Through the Night was the one I had to vote for because it was the only one of the vote-getters that would be eliminated in the event of a tie since it was the only song that had more previous votes than Hotel California. If Wasted Time or In the City had tied, Hotel California would have still been eliminated. I probably should have that explained that in my earlier post. My bad!

11-02-2014, 11:49 PM
Okay - I'm going to jump in here early this time and suggest forming another alliance in an attempt to save Hotel California for at least one more round. If you want to protect it, then let's band together and vote for The Heart of the Matter. It's a gorgeous song, and I love Don's introduction when he says that it took 42 years to write it, and about 4 minutes to sing it. However, IMO, the performance isn't as entertaining as Hotel California on this DVD. And, of course, at the risk of beating a dead horse, it is more of a solo performance than one that showcases a band reuniting after 14 years. I'm going to wait to vote to see if the coalition sticks, but I'll definitely join in if it works ...

SAVE HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

VOTE FOR THE HEART OF THE MATTER!!!

WalshFan88
11-03-2014, 05:18 AM
Hotel California

It just does not have the magic of the original version.

scottside
11-03-2014, 08:28 AM

thelastresort
11-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Please can we get rid of Hotel California now?

(That's my vote btw!)

GlennLover
11-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Okay - I'm going to jump in here early this time and suggest forming another alliance in an attempt to save Hotel California for at least one more round. If you want to protect it, then let's band together and vote for The Heart of the Matter. It's a gorgeous song, and I love Don's introduction when he says that it took 42 years to write it, and about 4 minutes to sing it. However, IMO, the performance isn't as entertaining as Hotel California on this DVD. And, of course, at the risk of beating a dead horse, it is more of a solo performance than one that showcases a band reuniting after 14 years. I'm going to wait to vote to see if the coalition sticks, but I'll definitely join in if it works ...

SAVE HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

VOTE FOR THE HEART OF THE MATTER!!!

I totally agree, Dreamer so I cast my vote for Heart of the Matter.

Brooke
11-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Oh my, I wish I would have made it in yesterday to get a vote in for HMTTN! Thankfully, it went anyway and HC has survived for another round! Just too much going on in my life to make it here yesterday!

While this version of HC is not my favorite, I do think it's beautiful and enjoy listening to it here. I'm not usually a fan of redos either. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! But still, I do like this version, but am glad it didn't become the only way they they would perform it. I also like the new versions of HT and WW, but would never want those to become the staples. I much prefer the original versions.

Now, I will join in the coalition and vote for Heart of the Matter to go this round. This is one of my very favorite Don songs, but that's just it, it's a Don song. It's beautiful, but :shrug:

Brooke
11-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Just want to add, I hope no one quits playing the game! It's just a game and is supposed to be fun! Don't take it to heart if someone disagrees!

Lighten up while you still can, and take it easy! :wink: :lol:

Midnight Visitor
11-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Weakest version of HEART OF THE MATTER I've ever heard. The fact that this is still here but NYM & HMttN is gone is crazy. Looking at my score sheet HEART OF THE MATTER got a 6 to NYM's 8!!

Needless to say, boot HEART OF THE MATTER!!!

MaryCalifornia
11-03-2014, 12:29 PM
I vote for In The City

GlennLover
11-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Just want to add, I hope no one quits playing the game! It's just a game and is supposed to be fun! Don't take it to heart if someone disagrees!

Lighten up while you still can, and take it easy! :wink: :lol:

Well said, Brooke!

Freypower
11-03-2014, 04:31 PM
I am happy to join the coalition for one round & vote for The Heart Of The Matter. It's a good performance but ultimately it's yet another in the Don Henley & his backing band show. I do like Glenn's acoustic guitar work & I do prefer this version to the EOTI version because it has Eagles harmonies.

With the acoustic/Spanish HC this is the only time it was ever played this way, so I can't agree with all the negative comments about it. I applaud them for doing something different. It will probably be gone next round but I am one of those who thought it was worth the effort.

Zanny Kingston
11-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Joining in here- The Heart of the Matter gets my vote. I love this song, but the HFO performance was really weak.

sodascouts
11-03-2014, 11:39 PM
I adore that version of HOTM! It's moving, has beautiful harmonies...Felder even calls it the band's theme song.

I'm not sure if I want to join the coalition, though... I'll give it some more thought.

shunlvswx
11-04-2014, 09:53 AM
I hate that HOTM is sinking fast. I would had thought it would win. I love this version better than EOTI.

I will NOT vote against either HC or HOTM.

I think I'm going to vote for In The City. Like I said. I won't join in to vote against HOTM and I will still keep HC in the running.

Glennsallnighter
11-04-2014, 02:14 PM
I think I would like to save HC, so I WILL join the coalition and vote off 'Heart Of The Matter' this round.

L101
11-04-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm voting for Hotel California once again.

The HFO version of HOTM is a good performance and it doesn't deserve to go yet.

UndertheWire
11-04-2014, 03:10 PM
I can't decide between HotM and HC, so I'm also voting for

In the City

UK TimFan
11-04-2014, 05:49 PM

zeldabjr
11-04-2014, 08:29 PM
I vote for The Heart of the Matter

11-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Well the alliance worked so well, that is doesn't even need my vote. But since I committed to vote with the coalition ...

I cast my vote for The Heart of the Matter.

11-04-2014, 09:10 PM
The next song performance to be eliminated in the Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor is The Heart of the Matter. “The Heart of the Matter”, I know your don't want to hear this, but you knew that it would come. The tribe has spoken and we'll miss you sometimes, but we'll learn to live without you. Please leave the island immediately.

Votes
The Heart of the Matter – 8
Hotel California – 4
In the City – 4

Vote Breakdown
The Heart of the Matter – GlennLover
The Heart of the Matter – Brooke
The Heart of the Matter – Midnight Visitor
The Heart of the Matter – Freypower
The Heart of the Matter – Zanny Kingston
The Heart of the Matter – Glennsallnighter
The Heart of the Matter – zeldabjr
The Heart of the Matter – Ive always been a dreamer
In the City – shunlvswx
In the City – UndertheWire
In the City – UK Timfan

Performances Eliminated:
Learn to Be Still 10/25
New York Minute 10/27
The Last Resort 10/29

Performances Remaining:
Hotel California
Tequila Sunrise
Wasted Time
I Can't Tell You Why
Take It Easy
Life in the Fast Lane
In the City
Get Over It
Desperado

Voting for Round Eight begins now.

WalshFan88
11-04-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm voting for Hotel California once again.

The HFO version of HOTM is a good performance and it doesn't deserve to go yet.

+1

THOTM sounds way better stripped down and acoustic like it is in HFO than DH's original version which is slightly electric and uptempo. It's truly an acoustic smooth song.

HC, on the other hand, is much better served as a hard rockin' electric song with screaming solos and more upbeat.

I realize the song originally was called a Reggae sound, and I haven't heard Felder's original demo but the final version as it is on the album is a pure rock song. For me it solidified them as a guitar-centric band and one that has killer guitar players as much as they do great singers. There is never a "best guitar solo" list without Hotel California at the top. I'd put the Hotel California solo as being as important to the history of the guitar as Hendrix, EVH, Page, and anyone else. Suddenly the smooth Eagles were fiery and had some rawness to their otherwise glossy sound.

No other band I know of made that transition from country/country-rock to classic rock supergroup better than this band. And that was at the feet of Hotel California and the addition of Joe Walsh - who was a total rock n' roll wild child. He was the Keith Moon of the guitar world at the time and got the Eagles respected as rock n' roll outlaws, much like Irving says in the doc. It was a double edged sword as it got rock n' rollers interested in the band who previously thought they were too smooth or light, but it betrayed country and western purists who liked their twangy smooth sound.

But to me from day one Glenn wanted to rock it up. He was more Mick Jagger, less Gram Parsons. And so he really showed it when he and Henley wrote for the Hotel California record as opposed to the first two records. You can see it start around On The Border and get progressively harder edged from there. Thank god!

WalshFan88
11-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Hotel California

thelastresort
11-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Hotel California

Freypower
11-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Wasted Time

11-05-2014, 12:40 AM
Austin - I agree with a lot of what you say about Hotel California, but not so much about The Heart of the Matter performance. I much prefer the EOTI version of the song - it has more energy, IMO.

And speaking of energy, I would hate to see In the City go down at this point. To me, the HFO show needed more uptempo material, so I am not ready to vote any of the few lively performances near the end that provide a welcome punch.

scottside
11-05-2014, 09:09 AM

sodascouts
11-05-2014, 05:05 PM
I can't believe I missed the vote last round. Ugh! Looks like it wouldn't have made a difference, though.

Glennsallnighter
11-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Wasted Time.

Zanny Kingston
11-05-2014, 09:11 PM
My vote is for wasted time

GlennLover
11-06-2014, 01:11 AM
I vote Wasted Time .

MaryCalifornia
11-06-2014, 01:19 AM
Oy...I like both of these performances!! I don't want to vote for a performance I enjoy! I want to vote for In The City [note this does not count as my vote], which I also truly enjoy, I just don't think it is as special as the other two. I like Dreamer's defense of ITC, but I don't consider it a rockin' song, it sort of drags, I would consider it mid-tempo at best. I also don't want to be the dolt who doesn't join in with the strategery of the consortium or whatever its called!! :hilarious: My ITC vote will be wasted. So.....decisions, decisions...

OMG I'm totally making myself laugh with the words strategery and consortium, I don't know where those came from, I've had one too many glasses of prosecco. I will vote soon.:thumbsup:

Faction? WTH Is that word? I have to go back and look...

ALLIANCE!!

Midnight Visitor
11-06-2014, 11:31 AM
I guess I'm voting for Wasted Time even tho I think there are worse performances on the DVD.

UndertheWire
11-06-2014, 11:53 AM
I don't want Wasted Time to go yet. It has Don on drums, Glenn on piano, Joe on keyboard so it's more of a group effort than may of the songs.

shunlvswx
11-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Again. I refuse to vote against two of my favorites. So I'm voting for In The City again. I like this song, but to tell the truth. I like HOTE concert version better.

UK TimFan
11-06-2014, 06:20 PM

L101
11-06-2014, 07:17 PM
I don't want Wasted Time to go yet. It has Don on drums, Glenn on piano, Joe on keyboard so it's more of a group effort than may of the songs.

I agree with UTW - and I'll vote for Hotel California again

zeldabjr
11-06-2014, 07:50 PM
oh this is all so hard...:sad:...I vote for Wasted Time

11-06-2014, 08:56 PM
OMG - I love Wasted Time and hate to see it go. I was hoping we would get another vote for Hotel California so I could vote for it to save Wasted Time. But, since my vote apparently won't make a difference this time, I'll go ahead and vote for the performance I want eliminated next ...

I cast my vote for Pretty Maids All in a Row.

11-06-2014, 09:08 PM
The next song performance to be eliminated in the Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor is Wasted Time. “Wasted Time”, the tribe has spoken and it looks like it's the end. You never thought you'd be gone this soon up the line, but you're back out on the street. Please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Wasted Time – 7
Hotel California – 5
In the City – 2
Pretty Maids All in a Row – 1

Vote Breakdown
Wasted Time – Freypower
Wasted Time – sodascouts
Wasted Time – Glennsallnighter
Wasted Time – Zanny Kingston
Wasted Time – GlennLover
Wasted Time – Midnight Visitor
Wasted Time – zeldabjr
Hotel California – UndertheWire
In the City – shunlvswx
In the City – UK Timfan
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Ive always been a dreamer

Performances Eliminated:
Learn to Be Still 10/25
New York Minute 10/27
The Last Resort 10/29
Wasted Time 11/06

Performances Remaining:
Hotel California
Tequila Sunrise
I Can't Tell You Why
Take It Easy
Life in the Fast Lane
In the City
Get Over It
Desperado

Voting for Round Nine begins now.

Freypower
11-06-2014, 09:47 PM
I will join previous people who have voted for In The City. This is more because the song is not a favourite of mine. The performance is OK but no more (although Don plays drums on it, which he has never done since).

WalshFan88
11-06-2014, 10:28 PM
Hotel California

scottside
11-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Hotel California

Brooke
11-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Oh geez, I thought I had another day to vote so I waited! Now I've missed it! :doh: :mad:

This is a very tough game and I can't make up my mind, but with the weekend coming up I will try to vote today or will probably miss it again!

Midnight Visitor
11-07-2014, 11:04 AM
I vote for Desperado. The most lackluster ending to a terrific show.

UndertheWire
11-07-2014, 11:35 AM
I vote for Desperado. The most lackluster ending to a terrific show.
But...but...Desperado is sacrosanct.

I do see your point, especially in a world where we're voting against HC for being too acoustic and many songs for not enough band involvement. So despite it being my favourite Eagles song, I'll try to keep an open mind. I'll wait and see how this round develops.

Midnight Visitor
11-07-2014, 11:50 AM
But...but...Desperado is sacrosanct.

Not to me it's not. If Linda isn't singing it, I'm not interested in it. Yaaaawwwn.

Brooke
11-07-2014, 04:54 PM
I'm joining MV and voting for Desperado this round.

I love the song, but I'm pretty tired of it and I've never thought they should end a show with it. But, we all know they've been doing that for years so what do I know?! :shrug:

Anyways, I think the others are better.

GlennLover
11-07-2014, 05:37 PM
I vote In The City.

sodascouts
11-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Hard decision, but...

I cast my vote for In the City.

MaryCalifornia
11-07-2014, 11:33 PM
You know, I have been pushing ITC for a few rounds, but now that I see that Desperado is in play, I'm in!!

I vote for Desperado

WalshFan88
11-08-2014, 11:50 AM
A quick comment on Desperado....

Everyone knows by now I'm all over the place when it comes to preferences but I think I like the fact the Eagles close with Desperado.

In a perfect world, I'd like a slow song to open and a slow song to close... I don't think of the Eagles as a rock band in the purest terms in terms of live shows - they are too "perfected" and orchestrated/rehearsed for that. I think of an Eagles concert like a storybook, a play, a musical, etc.... Where it slowly builds up, and then slowly returns to calm before the curtains close. Not ending too powerful and not opening too powerful. I think of it as a mountain peak, you slowly go up one side, reach the peak, and slowly go down the other side.

As far as the performance on HFO - I thought it was ok, I prefer the DH version to the Linda version, but this isn't my favorite performance of Desperado but I'm voting for HC til it's gone....

And I think the original is beautiful and I resonate with it more now than I did when I was younger. I can relate in a lot of ways.

11-08-2014, 01:29 PM
I think you make a good point about Desperado, Austin. It's not my favorite performance on the DVD, but it is my favorite way for the band to perform the song. I like Don on drums and Glenn on piano because it is truer to the way the song was originally recorded and performed.

Now, where are all of our Hotel California voters. I hope they come in and vote today because I'm ready to join them if it will save In the City and Desperado. But, I'll hold off on voting to see what happens.

L101
11-08-2014, 04:37 PM
I'll vote for Hotel California again as its not the best performance of this song and I think ITC and Desperado are much better and deserve to stay for longer

Glennsallnighter
11-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Congratulations Lacken - you are a Border Desperado now (2 little guitars in your profile:guitar::guitar:)!

BTW, where are you in Ireland?

L101
11-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Congratulations Lacken - you are a Border Desperado now (2 little guitars in your profile:guitar::guitar:)!

BTW, where are you in Ireland?

Thanks GA - I know - never thought I'd make it to 100 !!
I made my 100th post to be one of HFO Don in HH :grin:

I'm from Athlone (right in the centre of Ireland)

Glennsallnighter
11-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Oh I know EXACTLY where Athlone is. I go there once a year in June to the State Examinations Commission coz I mark the Leaving Cert exams!!

L101
11-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Oh I know EXACTLY where Athlone is. I go there once a year in June to the State Examinations Commission coz I mark the Leaving Cert exams!!

Mad fun there altogether :razz:

zeldabjr
11-08-2014, 07:47 PM
I vote for Desperado

thelastresort
11-08-2014, 07:54 PM
I vote for Hotel Cali (I might have done already, can't recall)

Glennsallnighter
11-08-2014, 08:46 PM
I cote for Hotel California - I prefer ITC and Desperado so would rather keep them.