PDA

View Full Version : Hell Freezes Over: Both Nights

tbayjordan
11-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Does anyone have the full shows for both nights of Hell Freezes Over? I can't find the full first night audio anywhere. Would be much appreciated if anyone can help.

tjh532
11-16-2014, 12:36 PM
We're both nights ever available? Did they televise both nights? Or are we talking bootleg ? I would love to see both.

Funk 50
11-17-2014, 02:18 PM
I'm aware of the HFO DVD, CD and the fabulous bootleg, The Second Night which I've also seen with a different title.

I've always questioned the accuracy of The Second Night because I was thrilled at the time to learn that they played Lovers Moon, a track I loved that Glenn didn't even play at solo shows and then being disappointed to hear that they dropped it from the set list.

Sadly, they haven't performed Lovers Moon since. This means, though, if they only played two shows, Lovers Moon was only performed on the first night.

As much as I'd love to hear the other show, I think we're very, very lucky to have The Second Night bootleg, which is such brilliant quality, better than most bands official releases.

Other concert recordings I'd love to re-encounter are Joe's solo webcasts from the early nineties, back when I only had a lousy dial up connection that couldn't handle a concert broadcast and the Eagles 2001 Lucca show. I listened to it over the internet with the Italian radio presenter babbling over the intros and outros along with some technical issues but somebody must surely have recorded the FM radio version in Italy. Joe was on fire that night!

UndertheWire
11-17-2014, 02:30 PM
I've always questioned the accuracy of The Second Night because I was thrilled at the time to learn that they played Lovers Moon, a track I loved that Glenn didn't even play at solo shows and then being disappointed to hear that they dropped it from the set list.

Sadly, they haven't performed Lovers Moon since. This means, though, if they only played two shows, Lovers Moon was only performed on the first night.

I'm confused. Are you saying that the "Second Night" bootleg has recordings from the first night? The one I've heard has Lovers' Moon.

Funk 50
11-17-2014, 08:35 PM
I'm confused. Are you saying that the "Second Night" bootleg has recordings from the first night? The one I've heard has Lovers' Moon.

I must've read a review from somebody who attended the 2nd night and they reported that Lovers Moon wasn't played. So either the "Second Night" bootleg was actually a recording of the First Night. (I've just checked and Glenn's opening comments are "Welcome to our first gig in a long time") or the reviewer was mistaken and Lovers Moon was indeed performed both nights or my memory is wrong which is quite possible but I think it's the first option the "Second Night" bootleg is actually the complete first night show.

I've harbored this belief since I first heard the bootleg which must be close to 20 years ago. Never thought it was worthy of sharing until I read this topic.

tjh532
11-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Do I dare ask? Anyone know if you can still find the bootleg?

Funk 50
11-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Well if you've the patience to download flac files;

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/the-eagles-1994-04-28-burbank-ca-sbd-flac-127275.html

otherwise just listen;

https://www.mixcloud.com/sinlopez/the-eagles-mtv-unplugged-second-alternate-night-1994/

I much prefer The Eagles - Second Night Unplugged (1994) to the official HFO release. 8-)

tjh532
11-29-2014, 02:02 AM
Well if you've the patience to download flac files;

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/the-eagles-1994-04-28-burbank-ca-sbd-flac-127275.html

otherwise just listen;

https://www.mixcloud.com/sinlopez/the-eagles-mtv-unplugged-second-alternate-night-1994/

I much prefer The Eagles - Second Night Unplugged (1994) to the official HFO release. 8-)

The Mixcloud recording is unavailable in the states due to 'licensing restrictions' :-x

Funk 50
11-30-2014, 06:06 PM
The Mixcloud recording is unavailable in the states due to 'licensing restrictions' :-x

Sorry to hear that, tjh532

If you're not put off by hitting a few dead ends, it's still possible to find the Second Night show using a search engine or two. It's definitely worth the time and trouble, if you're a fan of the Eagles music.

Mixcloud label it as;

The Eagles MTV Unplugged Second / Alternate Night
Venue: Warner Bros. Studios, Burbank, CA
Date: April 28, 1994
Source: soundboard

So that's the sort of thing to search for. :)

tjh532
12-01-2014, 02:12 AM
Thanks Funk 50! I will try to find it.

DJ
12-05-2014, 07:50 PM
I can remember being so excited when this aired. I about wet my pants! LOL :)

sodascouts
12-05-2014, 08:15 PM
I had only a vague notion of who the Eagles were and didn't know who had been in the band until I saw a commercial for HFO. I knew Don and Glenn from their 80s hits. I actually went "Glenn Frey and Don Henley are in a band together? Wow, that must be some band!" I watched it!

Brooke
12-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Soda, that's funny! You youngins! :lol:

BillBailey1976
12-23-2014, 10:18 PM
I love the Second Night. I don't know if there is a polished version of it, but the one I have heard has a lot of space in between songs, and quite a bit of dead air and a couple false starts.
The second night also has Don butchering the lyrics to "Get Over It" and then uttering "Well, I f----d that up, but we're gonna move along and do the next tune"

UndertheWire
04-27-2015, 05:16 PM
On his Facebook page, Jack Tempchin has posted this:

This rare version of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" was not included on 'Hell Freezes Over' due to guitar solo or string buzz at 7:07 (song begins at 3:30)

I do hear a bit of a "twang" on that note but it hardly seems a good reason to drop such a good version.

L101
04-27-2015, 05:28 PM
I agree UTW - I listened to the HFO version of PEF again today and heard only a slight noise (which I wouldn't have known about if Jack Tempchin hadn't mentioned it) but it was nothing that should have caused them to drop that brilliant version.

This is some of the best Eagles harmonies I've heard - even after the 14 year vacation!! :)

GlennLover
04-27-2015, 08:42 PM

I do hear a bit of a "twang" on that note but it hardly seems a good reason to drop such a good version.

I wondered why they didn't include it. I agree, Lacken, it it a brilliant version. I wish they would play it sometime.

Funk 50
04-28-2015, 06:21 AM
Nowadays they could fix that "twang" in a couple of minutes, if it really needs fixing.

Lover's Moon is the track I listen to most, as it's the only place you can find an Eagles version of it. I always thought that that didn't make the cut as the first note was a bit untidy. I prefer Lover's Moon to the 4 new HFO tracks though.

Funk 50
04-28-2015, 01:49 PM

This rare version of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" was not included on 'Hell Freezes Over' due to guitar solo or string buzz at 7:07 (song begins at 3:30)

I think the Eagles should invite Jack onto the remains of the HOTE tour. We could then look forward to some great twitter/facebook interaction as the tour progresses. :thumbsup:

https://www.facebook.com/JackTempchin?fref=nf

Tori
04-28-2015, 02:04 PM
Just found this thread. Listened to the version of PEF that Tempchin posted on FB, and fell in love! So I did some hunting and I'm downloading the first part of the second night right now. It's gonna take soooo loooong but I'm excited to hear Lover's Moon... :thumbsup:

EDIT: That was one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. Holy crap. Don's backing vocals in the second verse just make it freaking perfect.

sodascouts
04-28-2015, 08:19 PM
I'm with you, Tori. It's my favorite performance of Peaceful Easy Feeling EVER. I told Tempchin that myself when I was at a songwriting festival in Nashville. He didn't know what performance I was talking about then. Obviously, he does now!

Glennsallnighter
04-29-2015, 05:27 PM
I'm with you both too! Amazing performance

armus2112
02-26-2016, 06:13 PM
Eagles - Peaceful Easy Feeling (Hell Freezes Over *Second Night*)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHkU1obOWdY
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU8w3nFGLw8

armus2112
02-26-2016, 10:23 PM
Quote:

I listened to that string buzz. Sure it's there on the 'Hell Freezes Over: Second Night' recording. But it's fixable.

The Eagles are masters at fixing/correcting/perfecting recordings, if they wanted that song on the official release, it would have happened.

Funk 50
07-02-2016, 07:36 AM
I was surprised to see Eagles – Unplugged 1994: The Second Night (2016) turn up on a new albums site.

http://itsonlyrockandroll.info/?p=55147

Now the relevant technology is easily accessible, I wonder if they've attended to that buzzing string issue :smile:

It's a Henley and ballad heavy set list but it's still a great listen :p

Ive always been a dreamer
07-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the link, F50.

groupie2686
08-15-2017, 10:05 AM
I just bought this CD (from Amazon, believe it or not) and it's great....I love Lover's Moon and I've wanted the Eagles' version of The Heart of the Matter for a long time.

Is this the entire second night, and not the first night? I thought Don forgot the words on Learn to Be Still on the first night and that isn't on the CD (which is unfortunate, I love Glenn's laugh). It sounds like someone taped the concert and put it on CD without editing anything out, so wouldn't it be the second night then?

Was the entire concert aired on MTV back in 1994? I was 8 years old at the time, so I have no idea...all I've seen is the DVD.

New Kid In Town
08-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Groupie - No, they edited it and it was shown on tv six months after it was filmed. I don't have the 2nd night cd(will have to look into it) but heard it is almost as good as the 1st night.

UndertheWire
08-15-2017, 12:01 PM
This is my understanding but I could be wrong...

The "second night" recording is a bootleg from the soundboard of the show. That means the quality is very good but it probably hasn't been polished as much as the recordings that were used for broadcast. It also has five songs that didn't make the broadcast and the ordering is different. There is poor quality video out there for at least three of the missing songs. (Missing songs: Peaceful Easy Feeling, Best of My Love, Lovers' moon, One of These Nights, Heartache Tonight).

If you've seen the clip of Don forgetting the words (it's an extra on the HFO DVD), you should have heard Glenn say that it's television which means they can do it over again. I take that to mean that after a quick reset (getting cameras back into place etc), they would have repeated it immediately and that could have been the recording they used.

From the "seond night" recording, it's clear that on that night they opened with "Peaceful Easy Feeling". You can hear the anticipation from the crowd as they settled in. That show is split into two parts - without orchestra and then with orchestra with the orchestra tuning up in between.

I love that version of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and think it's better than almost anything that made the broadcast show.

I haven't tried this, but you could check the official DVD for where everyone is sitting or standing to work out a rough order for that night, along with whether the orchestra plays.

Second night listing:
Disc: 1
1. Peaceful Easy Feeling 6:11
2. Best Of My Love 5:39
3. Tequila Sunrise 3:45
4. Help Me Thru The Night 4:48
5. The Heart Of The Matter 6:38
6. Love Will Keep Us Alive 5:42
7. Learn To Be Still 5:01
8. Hotel California 7:21
9. Wasted Time 5:24
10. Wasted Time (Reprise) 1:30
11. Lover's Moon 4:03
12. Pretty Maids All In A Row 4:39

Disc: 2
1. I Can't Tell You Why 7:26
2. The Girl From Yesterday 5:44
3. New York Minute 8:15
4. The Last Resort 7:18
5. Introductions 1:37
6. Take It Easy 5:09
7. One Of These Nights 4:47
8. In The City 5:07
9. Heartache Tonight 4:59
10. Life In The Fast Lane 8:31
11. Get Over It 6:13
12. Desperado 5:13

DVD listing:
1 Hotel California
2 Tequila Sunrise
3 Help Me Through The Night
4 The Heart Of The Matter
5 Love Will Keep Us Alive
6 Learn To Be Still
7 Pretty Maids All In A Row
8 The Girl From Yesterday
9 Wasted Time
10 I Can't Tell You Why
11 New York Minute
12 The Last Resort
13 Take It Easy
14 Life In The Fast Lane
15 In The City
16 Get Over It
17 Desperado

groupie2686
08-15-2017, 12:49 PM
Thanks, UTW. Maybe the CD is the order for the night and it was edited for TV and the DVD. I'll pay attention the next time I watch it. The clip of Don forgetting the words is also in the HOTE documentary.

New Kid In Town
08-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Wow - Thanks UTW - I will really have to look into buying the 2nd night cd. I like it better then the songs that wound up on the HFO cd they released. Sometimes I don't understand why everything had to be so Don heavy. I would have loved to hear more of Glenn, Joe & Tim.

groupie2686
08-15-2017, 12:54 PM
New Kid, it's definitely worth it. The sound quality is not quite as polished as the HFO CD they released, but it's worth the money.

New Kid In Town
08-15-2017, 01:00 PM
Groupie - TY - Did you get it on US amazon ?

groupie2686
08-15-2017, 01:07 PM
I did. It was about $15 for a 2-CD set.

BillBailey1976
08-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Something very interesting about HFO DVD is that at the end, in the song list, they have Best of My Love listed. I wonder if it was one of the last to get the ax from the DVD, and the graphics people didn't fix it?

groupie2686
08-24-2017, 10:08 AM
So I finally listened to the entire concert (I've been driving around with it in my car for the past week) and it's definitely worth it. There are false starts for In the City and Get Over It. Don messes up the words to Get Over It and it is hilarious - I'm lucky I didn't get in an accident, I was laughing so hard. Heartache Tonight was too fast and it seemed like Glenn was struggling to keep up. The banter between the band members is fun too. The comedy value aside, The Heart of the Matter, Help Me Through the Night, and Lover's Moon are really beautiful, and there are several tracks that sound just as good as the official release.

I thought they included too much of the crowd. There's a full minute of clapping before the concert even starts, and about 2 minutes after Life in the Fast Lane; it sounded like when they went backstage before the encore.

Overall, definitely worth it, though.

sodascouts
08-24-2017, 11:50 PM
The arrangement of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" on this is my personal favorite.

BillBailey1976
08-25-2017, 07:14 AM
The arrangement of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" on this is my personal favorite.

Yes, I think it's by far the best version of this song that I've ever heard them do. I can't for the life of me figure out why it wasn't on the DVD or CD.