PDA

View Full Version : Profanity in Eagles Songs

thelastresort
12-20-2014, 05:28 PM
I meant to ask, how many other Eagles / solo songs contains swearing / curse words? Can't think of any offhand. I suppose 'Say goodnight Dick' at the end of On the Border could be interpreted as one, but there's little else.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-20-2014, 06:32 PM
I meant to ask, how many other Eagles / solo songs contains swearing / curse words? Can't think of any offhand. I suppose 'Say goodnight Dick' at the end of On the Border could be interpreted as one, but there's little else.

I think that line, "Say goodnight, Dick." is a quote from a 70's show called Laugh In. Dan Rowan would say it to Dick Martin, and Dick always said 'goodnight Dick' instead of 'goodnight'.

Here in the States, most know that the term 'bloody' is an English one that means something, but no idea it's really a curse word. Some say it when they want to avoid cursing, actually.

Freypower
12-20-2014, 07:48 PM

They've been up & down that highway
Haven't seen a goddamn thing (LITFL)

Told everybody they could kiss my ass (Partytown)

You think that you're so smart
But you don't have a f*&@ing clue (Inside Job)

They say, “Aw look, they’ve grown accustomed to the smell
Now, people love that shit - (Working It) which also includes a 'kiss my ass'.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Personally, I can totally do without that first one on the list.

shunlvswx
12-20-2014, 10:02 PM
Don't forget about Get over It.

You b*tch (I think I heard him say that) about the present and blame it on the past
I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass

and also All this b*tchin' and moanin' and pitchin'a fit

Glenn also said Timothy picked up an acoustic guitar.

shunlvswx
12-21-2014, 07:09 PM
I forgot about Damn It, Rose as the other song with a cussing word in there.

Freypower
12-21-2014, 07:27 PM
I don't find The Last Resort in the least bit unpalatable. I believe there was friction between Glenn and Don about subject matter in Eagles songs, if you want big sellers you can't have controversial lyrics or subject matter, at least you couldn't in the 70s.

Don has always been a a great lyricist, from Witchy Woman onwards, as his songs are instantly memorable, Glenn's songs are too, even during the 70s, without YouTube and all the lyric sites to learn from, people knew all the words to the Eagles songs because they were so well written.

These days some, certainly not all Don's songs seem to be an exercise in cramming in as many literary references as he can get away in a single tune. It sounds like he's agonized over his lyrics for months, which does have the effect of making them something to study rather than singalong with.

Since the Eagles are now big enough to survive, openly criticizing the President Of The United States and supporting the ostracized Dixie Chicks, who weren't, they are obviously allowed to be a lot more controversial and challenging in their subject matter, without it affecting their market value.

Until The Garden Of Allah there really was nothing but universal praise for Don's lyrical aptitude, so you can understand the other guys not being too critical about it, especially if it is going to cause avoidable friction.

I find the swearing and unpleasant language unfortunate.

The embarrassment of Joe's ILBT's :blush: at full blast after I'd just bought the album brand new.
It's not so bad in rockers like Joe's, It's Hard To Keep A Good Man Down and Band Played On but Damn It Rose, (some puffed up little fart), I suppose Don wants us to feel uncomfortable. Funnily enough, Bernie's, Vile And Profane Man opts for the less profane "break wind".

Best unintentional profanity, if you're English, is Glenn's wonderful Soul Searching "We gotta Search Our Souls"... I think that's how he spells it.

I do like Business As Usual. Is the last "soul sucking" actually "soul sucking world" as it proclaims in the lyrics?

We don't have any evidence that there was 'friction' over the lyrical content. The Last Resort was on their biggest selling album & as far as I know Glenn fully supported its inclusion. The fact that it was performed for the HFO reunion would suggest that. Also I disagree that you couldn't be controversial in the 70s if you wanted to sell a lot of records. Look at Alice Cooper, and he's probably a mild example.

I know what you are saying about that line in Soul Searchin' because I'm Australian, but as Glenn is American & he would never even have thought of it that way, I think it's unfair to even call it 'unintentional'. It's a coincidence.

'Puffed up little fart' is like 'snogging' an example of Don using what I at least consider an Anglicism.

It is 'soul sucking world' & is in my view the low point of that song.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Well, now I'm curious about this soul searching thing... I'm trying to figure out how 'search our souls' could be a bad thing?

I do want to mention regarding the word-best-left-unspoken in LITFL, it's never taken away from my enjoyment of the song. I love the song, it's easily my second favorite on the album.

After talking about Soul Searching and Life In The Fast Lane, I'll mention that I just noticed this thread is about the song LROOE and not the album... Hmmm, I think we've gotten WAY off topic, but it's been a good discussion.

Freypower
12-21-2014, 08:21 PM
Well, now I'm curious about this soul searching thing... I'm trying to figure out how 'search our souls' could be a bad thing?

I do want to mention regarding the word-best-left-unspoken in LITFL, it's never taken away from my enjoyment of the song. I love the song, it's easily my second favorite on the album.

After talking about Soul Searching and Life In The Fast Lane, I'll mention that I just noticed this thread is about the song LROOE and not the album... Hmmm, I think we've gotten WAY off topic, but it's been a good discussion.

I'm sorry VA. Now I will have to explain it to you & I would rather not have to because as I said, it is a complete coincidence.

F50 is implying 'our souls' could sound like the British pronunciation of 'assholes' i.e. 'arseholes'.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Ah, I get it now. I guess if I'd have said the words with my fake Brit accent I may have figured it out! I come from an area of the US that tends to say 'are' instead of 'our', and it drives me crazy, so it shouldn't have been such a stretch for me.

Funk 50
12-22-2014, 05:47 AM
I'm sorry VA. Now I will have to explain it to you & I would rather not have to because as I said, it is a complete coincidence.

F50 is implying 'our souls' could sound like the British pronunciation of 'assholes' i.e. 'arseholes'.

It's very unfortunate. It's such a great song and Glenn sings the line so well but every time I hear it I'm thinking, here it comes. I'm never gonna mention it again.

7 years on, despite it's many flaws, Long Road Out Of Eden is still the Eagles album I listen to the most, It's good to have some Glenn songs back.

Brooke
12-22-2014, 01:08 PM
I've enjoyed reading this discussion and am sorry I missed it over the weekend!

Nothing to really add other than I can do without any of the vulgarity in any of the songs. I suppose they thought they needed to use those words to make a point and fit the song. Whatever!

thelastresort
12-22-2014, 02:32 PM
Genuine question - for those (I'm presuming avowed Christians) uncomfortable with the reference in LITFL, do you also feel the same way about the taking of the Lord's name in vain in Wasted Time?

Freypower
12-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Or for that matter 'God knows I love you' in Glenn's It's Your Life?

Perhaps a new thread needs to be started otherwise this will veer completely off topic. The topic was originally about the song Long Road Out Of Eden. I would do it but I can't merge the posts on the profanity/blasphemy issue.

chaim
12-22-2014, 06:05 PM
That would be an interesting thread for sure. But, of course, there are "avowed Christians" among fans of any artist, and many artists use that kind of language. (Kristofferson's early work, for example, is full of "......, Lord" stuff.) Maybe it could be in the "Singing for the Sake of the song" section?

BillBailey1976
12-22-2014, 08:57 PM
I have noticed that they have stopped using GD in Life in the Fast Lane. I do like that. I don't know if Don actually doesn't say it or if they just mute his mic for that word. To me, that says that age and or beliefs have made them more sensitive to that sort of thing.

thelastresort
12-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Do they? Appears to say it here (@3:00~)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoe5F5p1VH8

Ive always been a dreamer
12-22-2014, 09:46 PM
Well - I'm not sure about that BB1976. Don has sang the words in all of the shows that I've attended - most recently this past September in NYC and Boston.

BillBailey1976
12-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Well, I know for a FACT that he didn't in Knoxville, at the show I was at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQFdPbZSxiM

At around 2:40 into the video. You can hear him not singing it.

thelastresort
12-22-2014, 10:45 PM
That sounds odd, almost like the choked or something. I would have thought that being the devout perfectionist Henley is, if he was going to drop the 'god' reference he would have hid it a bit better, doing it like he did there was so obvious. On the videos I have seen (from 2014) he doesn't explicitly say it, but it's nowhere near as removed as it is there. Weird.

12-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Well - that's very interesting and it's the first time I remember there being any evidence of Don altering the lyric. Maybe it was a one-time mishap or perhaps the band has targeted certain markets or cities (probably in the Bible Belt) where they have decided to alter it.

BTW - I am going to do as suggested and create a new thread for the discussion about the use of profanity in their songs. Feel free to post here until I set up the new thread and I'll move all the posts over.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-22-2014, 11:04 PM
When a moderator can move the relevant posts, we can switch over to a new thread.

TLR, Yes, I do have a problem with the OMG in Wasted Time. It's not vulgar or coarse, but it is taking the Lord's name in vain. It's something I'm guilty of a lot myself and I've been trying to monitor myself, and avoid even the use of the OMG.

Bill, they sometimes avoid the curse word in LITFL and sometimes they do not. For instance, I went to two concerts in LA, and in one Don avoided it and in the other it was pronounced quite clearly. I've often wondered if there's a rhyme or reason for it.

Freypower
12-22-2014, 11:08 PM
That sounds odd, almost like the choked or something. I would have thought that being the devout perfectionist Henley is, if he was going to drop the 'god' reference he would have hid it a bit better, doing it like he did there was so obvious. On the videos I have seen (from 2014) he doesn't explicitly say it, but it's nowhere near as removed as it is there. Weird.

I thought he sang the entire word but he may have slightly turned away from the mic.

But seriously, the song was released in 1976. Isn't it rather late to start censoring it?

sodascouts
12-22-2014, 11:24 PM
I don't like to hear profanity in songs, and that includes OMG and stuff like that. I love to sing along but I never do for those parts. I always have to turn them down when Mom's in the car or when my nephews and niece are riding with me. It adds nothing, IMHO. Refraining from using profanity isn't about Christianity or morality; it's about not being unnecessarily crude. I expect more from songwriters of the Eagles' caliber than the F-bomb and OMG.

12-22-2014, 11:26 PM

I always heard that the "Say goodnight Dick" at the end of On the Border was also a subtle reference to President Richard Nixon's (aka "Tricky Dick") inevitable resignation or impeachment because of the Watergate scandal.

thelastresort
12-22-2014, 11:36 PM
Thanks to whoever split all this BTW, much obliged. Never expected it to grow to the extent it has!

I always heard that the "Say goodnight Dick" at the end of On the Border was also a subtle reference to President Richard Nixon's (aka "Tricky Dick") inevitable resignation or impeachment because of the Watergate scandal.

Yeah, I know it was a reference to Nixon, however I was wondering if the term they used was on account of that being his nickname or just a convenient word to call him. I guess it's both!

Freypower
12-22-2014, 11:59 PM
Can I ask again if 'God knows' in It's Your Life' is blasphemous? Or 'Oh God I hope he's home tonight' in The Allnighter? I guess if OMG is, so is plain OG. I'm sorry, but I don't know the rules.

Profanity doesn't bother me but I know it bothers others so I will say nothing more about it.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-23-2014, 01:10 AM
Can I ask again if 'God knows' in It's Your Life' is blasphemous? Or 'Oh God I hope he's home tonight' in The Allnighter? I guess if OMG is, so is plain OG. I'm sorry, but I don't know the rules.

Profanity doesn't bother me but I know it bothers others so I will say nothing more about it.

Sorry, FP. I knew I was leaving something out of my earlier post, but it took me so long to type what I did type, there were five other posts made before I clicked Submit!

I don't feel that 'God knows' is blasphemous. To one who believes, God always knows everything.

The second example, 'Oh God I hope he's home tonight', I would say it is unless you're actually talking to God. I say such things all the time, but then, I usually mean it as a prayer. Coming up on the scene of an accident or something and saying 'Oh God' is usually calling on the Name of God, which is 'taking the Lord's name NOT in vain', and is actually something those who believe are supposed to do. So you see, it comes down to the motivation behind the words. To one who believes, the Name of God is very powerful all by itself. Martin Luther wrote quite a bit on the subject in the Large Catechism on why you should use God's name, as well as when and why you should not.

Funk 50
12-23-2014, 08:30 AM
I find the swearing and unpleasant language unfortunate.

Then again I couldn't even find the expletive in LITFL until it was pointed out to me, it's so mild in the UK. I'm unmoved by references to god unless they are actually religious. It's really impossible not to offend anybody so what can you do?

I did suffer the major embarrassment of playing Joe's "ILBT's" at full blast just after I'd bought "You Bought It, You Name It" but I accept his explanation and support it. (He didn't think his record company were paying any attention to his new record)

It's not so bad in rockers like Joe's, "It's Hard To Keep A Good Man Down" and "Band Played On" but "Damn It Rose" was a bit of a shocker, (some puffed up little fart), I suppose Don wanted us to feel uncomfortable, given the subject matter (Suicide, I think). Funnily enough, Bernie's, "Vile And Profane Man" opts for the less profane "break wind".

I believe "Get Up Kate" was about James Taylor's sister. If I ever meet James Taylor's sister, do you think she'd mind chatting about almost having an Eagles song about her?

I do like Business As Usual. Is the last "soul sucking" actually "soul sucking world" as it proclaims in the lyrics? It doesn't sound like an "s" to me.

BillBailey1976
12-23-2014, 10:01 AM
I'm not a fan of bad language at all. I don't like it in movies either, and have turned a lot of movies off because of it.
I don't think any Eagles song needed it.
It is however, representative of the writer's personal speech habits. That was made clear while watching History of the Eagles. It sounded on that as if Glenn and Don both have very vulgar mouths in general.

Brooke
12-23-2014, 11:25 AM
I do like Business As Usual. Is the last "soul sucking" actually "soul sucking world" as it proclaims in the lyrics? It doesn't sound like an "s" to me.

I've always thought it was an f too, F50.

And I don't care for any profanity anywhere either. Bothers me a lot. I don't sing the words when singing along with songs.

chaim
12-23-2014, 11:51 AM
The "G-- language" doesn't bother me anymore, but it did when I was younger for some reason. I remember when I was about sixteen years old, and in one of my songs I was supposed to say "G-- it's been so long", but I couldn't. So I wrote and sang "Rod, it's been so long". :hilarious:
It was, funnily enough, a song that reported the recorded history of Eagles from the debut album to the live album - mentioning also the Legend Of Eagles collection. I think the song was called "New kid in town". I didn't have anything to say, and I had discovered Eagles at that point and was a huge fan, so I wrote about it.

sodascouts
12-23-2014, 01:34 PM
It should be noted that "Damn It, Rose" was written by Jackson Browne, although Don obviously had no problem singing it and he must have thought very highly of the song to include it on his album.

Funnily enough, Bernie's, "Vile And Profane Man" opts for the less profane "break wind".

It also says "I don't give a G--D---" repeatedly and "that's too f---ing bad" once towards the end. I think it lives up to its name! It's interesting to note, however, that the printed lyric booklet replaces the latter with "that's very unfortunate", and that's what I put on the site. Bernie apparently feels it's OK to say it but not to write it!

I believe "Get Up Kate" was about James Taylor's sister. If I ever meet James Taylor's sister, do you think she'd mind chatting about almost having an Eagles song about her?She might mind chatting about some of the talents Glenn chose to highlight in the song, if it means what it seems to mean in some of the lines.

I do like Business As Usual. Is the last "soul sucking" actually "soul sucking world" as it proclaims in the lyrics? It doesn't sound like an "s" to me.I hear "soul-sucking" for all of it - the other never even occurred to me - and I think it's much more creative and illustrative than the alternative. Profanity is a lazy way to shock and lacks poetry.

sodascouts
12-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Other profanities in Eagles or solo songs not previously mentioned, not including OMG types:

Eagles' "Get Over It"
"kick its little ass"

Eagles' / Joe Walsh's "One Day at a Time":
"too damn big of a mountain to climb"

Joe Walsh's "Made Your Mind Up"
"Damn these strained relations"

Joe Walsh's "The Confessor":
"You can damn near judge the distance"

Joe Walsh's "The Friend Song":
"so damn busy"

Joe Walsh's "The Worry Song":
"the sun's too damn bright"

Joe Walsh's "Good Man Down"
"throw shit"

Joe Walsh's "Shut Up", towards the very end:
"shut the f--- up!"

Joe Walsh's "Analog Man"
"some 10 year old smart ass has to tell me what to do"

Joe Walsh's "And the Band Played On":
"A lot of shit out there"
"We're up shit creek without a paddle"
"Everybody's got their heads up their asses"

Joe Walsh's "Fishbone"
"The damn thing won't come out"

Don Henley's "Johnny Can't Read"
"kickin' ass and takin' down names"

Don Henley's "Garden of Allah":
"It's so damn hot"

Don Henley's "I Will Not Go Quietly":
"Don't you give a damn?"

Timothy B. Schmit's "Voices":
"I'm just too damn lazy"

Randy Meisner's "Nothing Is Said 'Til the Artist Is Dead"
"Good lovin' is so damn hard to find"

Randy Meisner's "Tonight" (written by Adams/Vallance)
"Your ass is on the line"

Don Felder's "Money":
"The whole damn country seems to crash land"

Bernie Leadon's "Everybody Want":
"I got to take care of my own shit first"

Special mention: "The Man (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/solo/soundtracks/man.htm)" by Randy Newman, which appears on his Faust soundtrack. Don Henley sings it as the title character. It's got vulgarities out the wazoo.

I think that about covers it.

Funk 50
12-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Great work Sodascouts, "The Man" had me wincing too!

I've never contemplated "damn" as a curse and neither does Joe by his willingness to use it.

You've mixed up GOTC with ODAAT if you don't mind me mentioning it.

I'm off to listen to "Shut Up" again. I can't believe Joe sings "Shut the f**k up". I've listened and listened and listened but I've never been able to find it. I thought Joe was a family guy.

Can anybody please tell me exactly when it happens. After "Band Played On" that horse has bolted. Joe's officially a potty mouth.

I never realised Jackson wrote Damn It Rose. I kinda lost interest after Barricades Of Heaven (which I love) :?

Freypower
12-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Damn It, Rose, was written by Don Henley & Stan Lynch. I'm sorry, Soda, but I have no idea where you get that. Your own site has it listed corerctly.

http://www.donhenleyonline.com/solo/insidejob/damnitrose.htm

And in Business As Usual it IS 'soul sucking' world.

The word 'damn' is so mild these days that I can't really understand why anyone would find it offensive but to each their own.

Freypower
12-23-2014, 06:50 PM
Great work Sodascouts, "The Man" had me wincing too!

I've never contemplated "damn" as a curse and neither does Joe by his willingness to use it.

You've mixed up GOTC with ODAAT if you don't mind me mentioning it.

I'm off to listen to "Shut Up" again. I can't believe Joe sings "Shut the f**k up". I've listened and listened and listened but I've never been able to find it. I thought Joe was a family guy.

Can anybody please tell me exactly when it happens. After "Band Played On" that horse has bolted. Joe's officially a potty mouth.

I never realised Jackson wrote Damn It Rose. I kinda lost interest after Barricades Of Heaven (which I love) :?

It's right at the very end, and Joe wasn't a 'family guy' when he wrote the song. It's also possible to be a 'family guy' & to have a 'potty mouth' as you put it. Do you think my husband, who is English, was going to stop swearing when he married me?

sodascouts
12-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Sorry for my embarrassing errors. I don't know what I was thinking! Thank you both for setting the record straight.

It's also possible to be a 'family guy' & to have a 'potty mouth'

FP, I see your point. However, many people do believe that once someone has had kids, they think a bit more about what they say and tend to be a bit more careful to avoid profanities. I don't judge you or your husband if that's not the case with you two, but many people with children don't cuss as much, at least not where the children can hear them.

12-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Honestly, the profanity in their songs doesn't bother me much unless it gets excessive (a good example being The Man and some of today's Rap music). Sometimes it's pointless to include it, but there are times when, right or wrong, it's done to make a point or for emphasis. My feeling is it may not really be necessary most of the time, but I just overlook it as long as it doesn't get overly offensive. Everyone has to decide for themselves when something offends them to the point that they won't listen.

And while I agree that most folks may tame their language around kids, I don't think it's fair at all to make a value judgment that someone who swears isn't a "family man".

Freypower
12-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Honestly, the profanity in their songs doesn't bother me much unless it gets excessive (a good example being The Man and some of today's Rap music). Sometimes it's pointless to include it, but there are times when, right or wrong, it's done to make a point or for emphasis. My feeling is it may not really be necessary most of the time, but I just overlook it as long as it doesn't get overly offensive. Everyone has to decide for themselves when something offends them to the point that they won't listen.

And while I agree that most folks may tame their language around kids, I don't think it's fair at all to make a value judgment that someone who swears isn't a "family man".

Agreed on both points. This is what I should have said.

StephUK
12-23-2014, 09:46 PM
I don't take very much notice of the swearing etc in the Eagles songs. It's nothing compared to what we hear in England each & every day. The younger generation (a category which I definitely don't fall into anymore) can't speak without using the 'F' word in every sentence - they shout it in the street, and when they're on their mobile phones. They think it's clever; I just think it shows how ignorant and uncouth they are.
They also say 'Jesus Christ' & 'God Almighty' as swear words, which I hate to hear. I'm not too keen on the American use of 'Goddam' either.

Sadly, you can get so used to hearing swearing that you almost don't notice it.

When I've been in the US I've noticed that there's much less swearing over there, and the kids are better behaved. Over here they even tell their parents to F*** off. I hope for the sake of all of you in the US that your country never sinks to the 'swearing' level of the UK

BillBailey1976
12-23-2014, 09:55 PM
And hey, The UK did give us Gordon Ramsay :)

StephUK
12-23-2014, 11:19 PM
And hey, The UK did give us Gordon Ramsay :)

Please don't hold that against us:hilarious:

VAisForEagleLovers
12-24-2014, 12:44 AM
The word 'damn' is so mild these days that I can't really understand why anyone would find it offensive but to each their own.

It's a word I use pretty often. In fact, on the trip to PA tonight I used it at least 800 times as I listened to my Pens lose to Tampa.

I don't have a problem with most of the words on that last list. Ones that use God and definitely those that use the word Jesus have problems with. The 'F' word, well, I use it in its literal sense and seldom as a curse word. It's overused and lacks imagination.

thelastresort
12-24-2014, 07:55 AM
I don't take very much notice of the swearing etc in the Eagles songs. It's nothing compared to what we hear in England each & every day. The younger generation (a category which I definitely don't fall into anymore) can't speak without using the 'F' word in every sentence - they shout it in the street, and when they're on their mobile phones. They think it's clever; I just think it shows how ignorant and uncouth they are.
They also say 'Jesus Christ' & 'God Almighty' as swear words, which I hate to hear. I'm not too keen on the American use of 'Goddam' either.

When I've been in the US I've noticed that there's much less swearing over there, and the kids are better behaved. Over here they even tell their parents to F*** off. I hope for the sake of all of you in the US that your country never sinks to the 'swearing' level of the UK

As a member of the younger generation here in the UK, I'm assuming we observe different people. Neither of my friend groups at university or at home swear to the extent you imply, even the most off the rails kids I went to school with drew the line well before telling their parents to F off. I swear a lot, probably too often, but never outside of a private conversation in public or to someone I don't personally know. This is just a reflection my ideolect instead of my upbringing or personality, I assure you I am about as far removed from being uncouth as is possible. If someone is willing to judge someone based on the language they use however, then in all honesty I do not hold in much regard what the person thinks of me.

sodascouts
12-24-2014, 11:56 AM

This is quite interesting! I also take into account thelastresort's perspective, but as an American who has visited the UK and watches a lot of UK programming, I can tell you that what is allowed on British television regarding curse words is so much more liberal than what is allowed in the States that one could get the impression that at least comparatively, what StephUK says would be the perception here IF Americans were exposed to that kind of British television. I can't speak for common usage, just for media usage.

That being said, such programs aren't shown in the States. The British programs shown here are the likes of adaptations of Pride and Prejudice, Hamlet and other Shakespearean works, Sherlock Holmes, etc... all perceived as sophisticated programs. The British literature we read and take entire survey classes on is also the height of sophistication as a rule; that's what makes it into our anthologies.

Curse words are not the same for the most part and are generally not in what we're exposed to from the UK, the likes of Gordon Ramsay being the exception rather than the rule. BBCAmerica, which does show such programs (although it also tones them down), is on the more expensive cable packages and many don't receive it.

Anyone who sees American adaptations of British programs - The Office (original) vs The Office (American), Broadchurch vs. Gracepoint, etc. can see what I mean.

Thus, the vast majority of the American public who have never seen the average UK program or been to the UK perceives British people as classier overall and British English (at least the "received pronunciation" we are exposed to) as more distinguished.

For other dialects, many Americans require subtitles. Even I struggle with thick Scottish accents and cockney. Many Americans do not consider them proper English, but rather quaint variations, lol.

Perhaps some of you in the UK may have experienced the scrunched up, confused face of an American tourist making a visible effort to understand English that is not RP.

This brings me to my next point. As someone - I think Dreamer - mentioned earlier, some Americans will use British curse words instead of American ones with the idea that they must not be as bad because they are British, and as a rule they perceive British English as more sophisticated.

Lest you think this post is an aside completely unrelated to the topic... Don Henley has used "arse" in interviews and "bloody and "fart" (in the context of an insult) in songs, none of which is considered profane in the US. Instead, they are comparable to "butt", "freaking", and "jerk" which I use - alternatives to what is considered vulgar in the States.

(I don't know why Don used "snog" instead of "making out", though! That's not considered a vulgar phrase in the US. Perhaps in 2007 he had a thing for Briticisms.)

Now, I'm speaking in generalities, and this is not the case for ALL Americans - just the vast majority that I come into contact with as a teacher of British literature and History of the English Language.

I realize this post is getting into the "too long to read" category, so I'll stop now!

sodascouts
12-24-2014, 01:29 PM
But one more thing... I do understand that what is considered profane is entirely dependent on cultural norms and thus can vary greatly from culture to culture, or even from generation to generation in the same culture.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Another word of questionable use is 'jagoff' in Those Shoes. Since it's not a term that most are familiar with, most of the published lyrics say 'jerk-off'. To someone familiar with the term, it's pretty clear even on vinyl. While the link below makes it seem pretty tame, it's not a term used in polite company, and it's not something anyone wants to be called.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagoff

sodascouts
12-24-2014, 02:56 PM
This is the first time I have ever heard anyone believe that word to be "jagoff" and I've never seen it in a published set of lyrics (although certainly I could have missed one - perhaps you have seen one with those lyrics?)

I'm not saying you're wrong, but... I think that saying it's "pretty clear" might be an overstatement. I don't hear it and dismissing the overwhelming majority - if not all - of the published lyrics as simply ignorant of what is really being said might be a bit hasty.

This is especially true since the word seems to be predominately used in Pittsburgh rather than areas where any of the songwriters spent time, at least to my knowledge.

Again, perhaps you're right - they could have picked up the term from a Pittsburgh native - did you hear Don say something about it? It wouldn't be the first time I've heard lyrics incorrectly!

Funk 50
12-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Yep, disgust is a totally taught concept.

I remember Phil Collins talking about acting in Miami Vice during the 80s. In one scene he muttered the word "damn" under his breath and they yelled "Cut! Phil you can't say that" then in another scene he was directed to use one of those English words, "call him a wanker or something". Still a rarity to hear that word on UK tv.

Another shocker was that nice Richard Marx singing Pink's "Perfect" on one of his vlogs. He did apologise straight afterwards though "sorry for the f bombs guys but it's such a great song."

Seeing how much the Eagles love to see young kids at their concerts, I wonder if they would say that their material is designed to appeal to a family audience. Their ticket prices certainly don't. Maybe the tone down the language when they see youngsters in the audience. Their audience demographic is definitely old.

I think the language used in the media has changed a lot since the Eagles were writing all their hits so I suppose they're just reflecting the times with the lyrics to their more recent material. In real life, probably 'twas ever thus.

I've just remembered a story from this year. A radio presenter was sacked by the BBC, from his oldies request show after playing an ancient version of "The Sun Has Got His Hat On" which included a rather unfortunate old colonial reference. Apparently it would've been ok if it was spelled "niggaz"

Edit - This is the first time I've encountered the term Jag-off and I've listened to Those Shoes hundreds of times. I thought I knew all the words. :huh:

VAisForEagleLovers
12-24-2014, 04:14 PM
This is the first time I have ever heard anyone believe that word to be "jagoff" and I've never seen it in a published set of lyrics (although certainly I could have missed one - perhaps you have seen one with those lyrics?)

I'm not saying you're wrong, but... I think that saying it's "pretty clear" might be an overstatement. I don't hear it and dismissing the overwhelming majority - if not all - of the published lyrics as simply ignorant of what is really being said might be a bit hasty.

This is especially true since the word seems to be predominately used in Pittsburgh rather than areas where any of the songwriters spent time, at least to my knowledge.

Again, perhaps you're right - they could have picked up the term from a Pittsburgh native - did you hear Don say something about it? It wouldn't be the first time I've heard lyrics incorrectly!

I've listened to it over and over, and especially during the HOTE shows, I've listened and watched his mouth. I've never heard or seen an 'r'. I remember when the song was popular and people in the area talking about the use of the word in the song, it was the first I realized it wasn't a word used all over the place. I could be wrong, of course, after all it's a word I've heard since early childhood, but it's still pretty clear to me.

They've toured in Pittsburgh a lot, and you can't spend much time in the Burgh and not hear it.

sodascouts
12-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Well, I guess you never know! I think I hear an "rk" at around 2:14 here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBLzFeOHtnM) but again, I've been wrong before, and perhaps one hears what one expects. You're right that they've hit Pittsburgh quite a bit in tours, so who knows!

shunlvswx
12-24-2014, 04:50 PM
You know. I have nothing against the guys using cussing words. Its different when you have a few words in a song where in a rap song you're cussing in every single line.

I guess it just depends. A few words in the song is ok with me, but cussing throughout the song, I'm not ok with.

sodascouts
12-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Yes, we all have different thresholds as to what we consider acceptable... you can see cultural norms changing in the US even now, when censors don't bleep all the words they used to during "prime time."

Freypower
12-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Well, this is news to me. I've never heard anything except jerkoff & I have never heard of the word VA mentions. If I have never even heard of it why would I hear it that way? Listen to the Long Run version. The r is clearly enunciated. I don't know why it would be changed for the benefit of people in one city.

sodascouts
12-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Regardless of which one it is, VA makes a good point about it being a not-so-nice word. "Jerk-off" isn't the loveliest of phrases either when one thinks of what the term is derived from! It just doesn't cross over into the spectrum of curse word that other insults such as the "n-word" inhabit. That's a profanity you'll never hear the Eagles utter, at least in public, I daresay!

WalshFan88
12-24-2014, 05:13 PM
I think the Millenium Concert says "rk" quite clearly.

The original though, I'm hearing "jag-off" or some derivative. I don't hear an R in the original personally.

It's like The Heat Is On and "the beat's alive" vs "the beat's so loud".

Freypower
12-24-2014, 05:18 PM
So not only do you not hear an r, you hear the vowel as 'a'? I clearly hear 'er' as in 'her' and have done ever since I first heard the song. I can't believe this has never come up before.

THIO is 'the beat's alive' which rhymes with 'deep inside' (this HAS come up before). We had a thread on misheard lyrics:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=992

sodascouts
12-24-2014, 05:48 PM
I revived the misheard lyrics thread, if anyone wants to continue the jagoff/jerk-off discussion.

One of my friends made a point that in her mind at least, the insult profanities were worse than the profanities done for emphasis. I see her point. The Eagles do seem to avoid the profane insults for the most part - the n-word like I mentioned earlier, the c-word, m*****f***** (with the exception of "The Man") etc.

Brooke
12-26-2014, 11:11 AM
One more comment on 'jagoff', I've never heard that word before and have always heard 'jerkoff' in that song! I guess we hear what we are more familiar with! :shrug:

Our family and most friends do not believe in using profanity, especially around children. Some use it with other adults. I have used a word or two in frustration, but never in public. I remember when my kids were small and listening closely to everything everyone said; I had to have a talk with my Dad about using profanity around them! We just don't like it and were not raised that way! And Dad never used it around us as children either but had forgotten! :lol:

BillBailey1976
12-26-2014, 09:58 PM
I was just watching the "Live in New Zealand" video, the concert in the pouring rain....Glenn, during "Already Gone" right where it should say "whooohoohoo..my my...whoohoohoo"...says "whoohoohoo, gd, whoohoohoo"
This was kind of shocking. I guess I hadn't sat through the whole video before.
Also, on the HFO Second night, Don, in referring to messing up the lyrics to Get Over It, says "well, I F----d that up"...

That made me wonder if this was normal at Eagles concerts, or if these were isolated events. I have been twice, and don't recall it at the shows I was at, or at any other shows I have seen or heard on video or audio.

sodascouts
12-28-2014, 12:58 AM
Those were two pretty extreme situations. I've been to a fair amount of shows, and cussing is the exception rather than the rule... except, of course, the ones in the lyrics. I was surprised to read in the thread that on occasion, Don has not sung GD in "Life in the Fast Lane." I've never heard that word dropped from a performance as some in this thread have.

Funk 50
12-28-2014, 08:02 AM
I was just watching the "Live in New Zealand" video, the concert in the pouring rain....Glenn, during "Already Gone" right where it should say "whooohoohoo..my my...whoohoohoo"...says "whoohoohoo, gd, whoohoohoo"
This was kind of shocking. .

Just as Joe's about to launch into Amazing Grace, his intro to Rocky Mountain Way, you can clearly hear Glenn, although he's off mic, telling Joe to "F**k the intro". On reflection he could've said "Cut the intro" but I never checked.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Those were two pretty extreme situations. I've been to a fair amount of shows, and cussing is the exception rather than the rule... except, of course, the ones in the lyrics. I was surprised to read in the thread that on occasion, Don has not sung GD in "Life in the Fast Lane." I've never heard that word dropped from a performance as some in this thread have.

I wouldn't say he drops it, more like he suddenly has a mouthful of mashed potatoes when singing it. It's not enunciated clearly. He did it at the Raleigh concert and a couple of others I've been to. It's usually pretty clear. It's the word in the lyrics and we all know they like to stick to the original as much as possible. As much as I don't like it, changing it to something else would irritate me as well.

Freypower
12-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Just as Joe's about to launch into Amazing Grace, his intro to Rocky Mountain Way, you can clearly hear Glenn, although he's off mic, telling Joe to "F**k the intro". On reflection he could've said "Cut the intro" but I never checked.

It is 'f**k the intro'. Grown men who are also rock stars swear. Who would have thought it. Object to it as much as you like, but it's hardly a surprise.

EagleLady
12-28-2014, 05:59 PM
I'm not judgmental so I don't have a problem with Profanity, Beside there are much worse in other songs.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-28-2014, 06:26 PM
It is 'f**k the intro'. Grown men who are also rock stars swear. Who would have thought it. Object to it as much as you like, but it's hardly a surprise.

I've not noticed it confined to rock stars!

L101
12-28-2014, 06:31 PM
I don't have a problem with profanity in songs - most of the time I don't even notice it until someone points it out or its a particularly bad word....

The fact that the Eagles use mild swear words in their songs and in some interviews just shows that they are normal human beings like the rest of us. In fact they are fairly tame these days compared to some other rock stars. I would find it weird if they didn't use swear words in general - they are rock stars after all!! :grin:

Soda mentioned a song called 'The Man' that Randy Newman and Don Henley sing - I had never heard of it so I looked it up (it was hard enough to find....thankfully) - now that song is just all kinds of wrong especially when you hear Don singing it - it just makes me cringe with embarrassment - what was the point of that song ???

Freypower
12-28-2014, 06:38 PM
I don't have a problem with profanity in songs - most of the time I don't even notice it until someone points it out or its a particularly bad word....

The fact that the Eagles use mild swear words in their songs and in some interviews just shows that they are normal human beings like the rest of us. In fact they are fairly tame these days compared to some other rock stars. I would find it weird if they didn't use swear words in general - they are rock stars after all!! :grin:

Soda mentioned a song called 'The Man' that Randy Newman and Don Henley sing - I had never heard of it so I looked it up (it was hard enough to find....thankfully) - now that song is just all kinds of wrong especially when you hear Don singing it - it just makes me cringe with embarrassment - what was the point of that song ???

It has to do with the character of Faust in Newman 's adaptation of the classic story; the man sells his soul to the devil. Don is singing Faust. It's a character, and it is completely unrepresentative of Newman's work. It was a huge mistake on his part & I never listen to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust

L101
12-28-2014, 06:48 PM
It has to do with the character of Faust in Newman 's adaptation of the classic story; the man sells his soul to the devil. Don is singing Faust. It's a character, and it is completely unrepresentative of Newman's work. It was a huge mistake on his part & I never listen to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust

Thanks Freypower - totally agree with you about it being a huge mistake on his part - it seems really out of character for both him and Don to be singing that song - I listened to it twice and that's it.

DJ
12-28-2014, 08:02 PM
We all swear from time to time. I just try not too. Ha!:partytime:

Glennhoney
12-28-2014, 10:06 PM
..this is such a "silly" subject when you compare the "profanity" of the Eagles' songs compared to what's out there now...:hilarious:

VAisForEagleLovers
12-28-2014, 11:18 PM
..this is such a "silly" subject when you compare the "profanity" of the Eagles' songs compared to what's out there now...:hilarious:

That is so very true. I guess it's why I don't let what there is interfere with my enjoyment of what they do. On stage, they don't say it in the chitchat between songs, either, which I very much appreciate.

StephUK
12-29-2014, 06:53 PM
As a member of the younger generation here in the UK, I'm assuming we observe different people. Neither of my friend groups at university or at home swear to the extent you imply, even the most off the rails kids I went to school with drew the line well before telling their parents to F off. I swear a lot, probably too often, but never outside of a private conversation in public or to someone I don't personally know. This is just a reflection my ideolect instead of my upbringing or personality, I assure you I am about as far removed from being uncouth as is possible. If someone is willing to judge someone based on the language they use however, then in all honesty I do not hold in much regard what the person thinks of me.

My comment was based on what I hear day to day. I realise that not all young people swear continually, but it is common to hear young people swearing. Weatherspoons pubs obviously felt it was bad enough that they introduced a list of 'banned' words which were not to be used in their bars(this was a few years ago). I don't necessarily blame the young people for swearing, 'cos it's often what they hear at home.
As to judging someone by the language they use, what comes out of the mouth starts out in the brain........
Just out of interest, TLR, can you explain to me why you swear a lot? do you feel it adds something to your conversation or is it purely a habit? or is there another reason?

thelastresort
12-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Just out of interest, TLR, can you explain to me why you swear a lot? do you feel it adds something to your conversation or is it purely a habit? or is there another reason?

The majority of my swearing is the way I cope best with certain things, like if I've done a lot of work on something only to find out I've done it wrong, saying a few choice words helps me cope with the realisation that I have to do it all over again, however I would very rarely do that in public. The rest of my swearing tends to be either as a spontaneous reaction or when there's simply no other word that will do (e.g. if a drunk flatmate is pestering me they will be told in no uncertain terms to **** off). In all honesty about 99% of any swearing I do depends on circumstance and company.

StephUK
12-29-2014, 07:29 PM
The majority of my swearing is the way I cope best with certain things, like if I've done a lot of work on something only to find out I've done it wrong, saying a few choice words helps me cope with the realisation that I have to do it all over again, however I would very rarely do that in public. The rest of my swearing tends to be either as a spontaneous reaction or when there's simply no other word that will do (e.g. if a drunk flatmate is pestering me they will be told in no uncertain terms to **** off). In all honesty about 99% of any swearing I do depends on circumstance and company.

From what you've said here, I wouldn't put you into the category I was talking about in my earlier post. We all utter a few swear words now & then when things go wrong or annoy us. I was refering to those young people who use the F word(mainly) in every conversation, and to describe everything. You mention you're at uni, well, when you finish & have to go to the JobCentre regularly, I guarantee you'll get a taste of what I mean! (unless you're lucky enough to find a job, that is)

sodascouts
12-29-2014, 11:14 PM
Thanks Freypower - totally agree with you about it being a huge mistake on his part - it seems really out of character for both him and Don to be singing that song - I listened to it twice and that's it.

I had to purchase the entire album and listen to the two songs with Don multiple times in order to transcribe them for DonHenleyOnline (http://www.donhenleyonline.com). My ears were practically bleeding by the end of it. After that ordeal, I hated it so much that I wanted to douse it with gasoline in a metal bin and set it aflame. I restrained myself in the interest of fire safety. lol