PDA

View Full Version : Underrated Eagles Song Survivor

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
01-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Time for the Underrated Eagles Survivor, where we vote off underrated Eagles songs until we get to the last one standing!

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

I'm going to list all the songs we put together for this list below. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for the one you think should GO, not the one you think should stay.

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember... it's still just a game.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Once the board clock strikes 8:00 pm Eastern on the second day, no more votes will be counted for that round - even if it's only seconds after. Your votes also cannot be changed once you have voted, even if you change your mind or make a mistake. Once it's on the record, that's it - so be careful!

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared. The exception is the last round. If the tiebreaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

In order to avoid voter fraud and trolling, we require that you must be "a member in good standing" as defined by the Terms of Service for at least two weeks before the start of the game in order to cast a vote.

GAME OVER!

Congratulation to the winner ...

Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise

Songs Eliminated:
Most of Us Are Sad 1/29
The Last Resort 1/31
James Dean 2/02
Too Many Hands 2/04
Pretty Maids All in a Row 2/06
Bitter Creek 2/08
Those Shoes 2/10
My Man 2/12
Ol' 55 2/14
Do Something 2/16
After the Thrill Is Gone 2/18
Long Road Out of Eden 2/20
Good Day in Hell 2/22
The Sad Cafe 2/24

Thanks for playing.

sodascouts
01-27-2015, 09:06 PM
I cast my vote for Long Road Out of Eden.

I actually thing this song is OVERrated! I don't regard it as highly as many; it's overlong and gets a bit preachy. Someone should have reined Henley in - when your song is over 10 minutes, you're just being self-indulgent. Plus, I think the Middle Eastern "sound effects" do nothing for the song.

It's a pity because there are some excellent parts to this song; the central conceit is very clever. The guitar solo is smokin'. I think if it had been pared down and paced better, it could have really been great. As it is though... not so much.

Freypower
01-27-2015, 09:51 PM
Soda, you & I have disagreed about LROOE before but you've never gone so far as to call the Middle Eastern part 'sound effects'. It deserves as much as the rest of the song to be called 'music' even if it doesn't use electric guitars. It entirely fits in with what the song is about. It took them to a new level of innovation.

However I do understand the points about the length & some of the lyrics & I'm prepared for it to be voted off fairly quickly, much as I personally love the song.

I vote for Most Of Us Are Sad which I regard as a minor song, and therefore not underrated.

sodascouts
01-27-2015, 10:01 PM
It opens with almost 20 seconds of nothing but the sound of desert winds. Then, we get 50 more seconds of wind, but at least it has some instrumentation over it. You may find it high art; I reserve the right to disagree.

They could have cut some of that wind and shortened the intro overall, still setting the mood but not being so melodramatic about it.

But hey, what do I know? It's just my opinion.

I should note: I don't think the song is BAD, I just don't think it's as good as the others on here.

GlennLover
01-28-2015, 12:10 AM
I vote Most Of Us Our Sad as well. I find that although it has it's moments it drags & I don't consider it underrated.

sodascouts
01-28-2015, 12:34 AM
Just a word for Most of Us Are Sad:

The things I love about this song: it has a very vulnerable vocal that I adore, and I love the imagery of the "Scarlet Sun" and the simile with the dawn; the "love was here today" part for some reason really moves me. Maybe it's the way those harmonies really kick in and elevate it, but I always turn that part up. It's a very mature song that often gets overlooked. Its simplistic title belies its depth.

DivineDon
01-28-2015, 07:41 AM
I'm voting for OL '55. I'm sorry but it does nothing for me and I skip the CD everytime it comes on.

P.S. I love LROOE and especially that it is so long...(excuse the pun)...but everyone's opinion differs of course

WalshFan88
01-28-2015, 09:00 AM
Bitter Creek

L101
01-28-2015, 09:06 AM
I'm voting for James Dean. I love the guitars - pure rockin' sound but the rest does nothing for me - apart from hitting the skip button :|

I don't consider it underrated - to me, its just a filler on the album

thelastresort
01-28-2015, 09:19 AM
I'm torn between three here. MOUAS is somewhat bland, but I adore the verse 'Love was here today...' and subsequent guitar solo, it's absolutely beautiful. Too Many Hands has never done anything for me; James Dean the same. As such, I vote for James Dean. Lovely guitar work but the lyrics are just weird and it's just never clicked for me.

scottside
01-28-2015, 09:50 AM
I cast my vote for "Ol' 55." I saw the band play back in the 70s and it always rubbed me wrong when Glenn used to sing "sex in the morning" instead of "six in the morning." It seemed to cheapen the whole thing for me.

UndertheWire
01-28-2015, 10:24 AM
I'll make an unpopular choie, but that's what this is all about - you vote for a popular song to let the less popular ones to get their turn. I see this one praised so often for its lyrics, but musically it does nothing for me. I vote for The Last Resort.

NightMistBlue
01-28-2015, 11:26 AM
[gasp] The Last Resort is a masterpiece! The lyrics are devastating - taking on such a complex topics as manifest destiny, disillusionment, environmental degradation, yet not hindering the flowing movement of the song. And the way the music lifts up into a wide-open vista at the end? So powerful.

Anyhoo, I vote for The Sad Cafe. The music is lounge-y and the lyrics don't do much for me. Henley sings real pretty though.

Brooke
01-28-2015, 11:49 AM
I vote for Most of Us Are Sad.

I just find it boring overall and don't really see it as underrated.

Midnight Visitor
01-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Desperado / Doolin-Dalton Reprise

Desperada
01-28-2015, 02:38 PM
James Dean

Freypower
01-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Just a reminder that we are voting for what we think is the least underrated song, progressing through to most underrated. That may coincide with your opinion of the song, or it may not. The impression I'm getting is that if someone doesn't like a song, they must automatically think it isn't underrated & I guess that makes sense if you think about it.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-29-2015, 12:49 AM
Wow! I'm not sure what to expect from this game, but, if this round is any indication, we are all over the place about which songs are underrated. I was thinking about voting for Too Many Hands this round because I actually feel that it is somewhat overrated. To me, a song is underrated if it is a highly-quality piece of work that goes unrecognized and/or unappreciated by the general public. While I don't think TMH is a bad song, I do think Randy's songs Certain Kind of Fool and Try and Love Again are stronger, more underrated songs.

In any event, I'll wait and see how this round plays out - I may have to use my vote to save a song.

Glennsallnighter
01-29-2015, 02:41 PM
I'm just a bit confused here, sorry!!

Are we voting off the underrated songs in order of the MOST underrated song being voted off first, the Least underrated song being voted off first (in ones opinion) or just putting them all on equal footing and voting the, off based on our own preferences as to how well we like them as songs.

UndertheWire
01-29-2015, 03:08 PM
I think we are voting for the least underrated (ie the most overrated) first.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-29-2015, 04:25 PM
I think we are voting for the least underrated (ie the most overrated) first.

Yes, UTW, you are correct, the least underrated. The winner should be the song that is the most underrated Eagles song.

I hope no one faints that I'm playing along. The overall premise is to 'vote things off the island' and there's too much I love about the Eagles to be voting against things. However for this particular game, most of these songs either do nothing for me or I actually dislike them, so I have no problems 'voting things off'.

I am going to use the logic Soda used for LROOE, and vote for The Last Resort. The song has had too much acclaim to be considered underrated in my opinion, and given my thoughts on the song, I feel that acclaim has vastly overrated it.

Brooke
01-29-2015, 04:29 PM
I know I'm confused for sure! :crazy:

Glennsallnighter
01-29-2015, 06:17 PM
In that case I will vote for 'The Lat Resort' as its not so terribly underrated, having been on the HFO dvd etc

01-29-2015, 07:12 PM
I'm just a bit confused here, sorry!! ,

Are we voting off the underrated songs in order of the MOST underrated song being voted off first, the Least underrated song being voted off first (in ones opinion) or just putting them all on equal footing and voting the, off based on our own preferences as to how well we like them as songs.

Even though others have answered this correctly, I feel I should give an "official' answer. The surviving song and winner of the game should be the song that the players feel is the MOST underrated Eagles song. Therefore, in each round until the final round, you should vote for the song that you feel is the least deserving of that title. Hope that makes sense to everyone. If not, speak up, and, hopefully, we can clear up any other misunderstandings.

zeldabjr
01-29-2015, 07:20 PM
I vote for Pretty Maids All in a Row...

UK TimFan
01-29-2015, 08:59 PM
I vote for 'Pretty maids all in a row'.

01-29-2015, 08:59 PM
I cast my vote for Most of Us Are Sad.

The way I think about this is that in order for me to consider a song underrated, I have to think it is a really good song that doesn't get the props it deserves. Since MOUAS is one of the weaker songs in the band's catalog, I can't say it's underrated.

01-29-2015, 09:15 PM
The first song performance to be eliminated in the Underrated Eagles Song Survivor is Most of Us Are Sad. “Most of Us Are Sad”, no one can save you now. The tribe has spoken. We will sing you far away because you must leave the island immediately.

Votes
Most of Us Are Sad – 4
James Dean – 3
The Last Resort – 3
Ol' 55 – 2
Pretty Maids All in a Row – 2
Long Road Out of Eden – 1
Bitter Creek – 1
The Sad Cafι – 1
Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise – 1

Vote Breakdown
Most of Us Are Sad – Freypower
Most of Us Are Sad – GlennLover
Most of Us Are Sad – Brooke
Most of Us Are Sad – Ive always been a dreamer
James Dean – Lacken101
James Dean – thelastresort
James Dean – Desperada
The Last Resort – UndertheWire
The Last Resort – VAisForEagleLovers
The Last Resort – Glennsallnighter
Ol' 55 – DevineDon
Ol' 55 – scottside
Pretty Maids All in a Row – zeldabjr
Pretty Maids All in a Row – UK TimFan
Long Road Out of Eden – sodascouts
Bitter Creek – WalshFan88
The Sad Cafι – NightMistBlue
Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise – Midnight Visitor

Songs eliminated:
Most of Us Are Sad 1/29

Songs remaining:
Bitter Creek
James Dean
Ol' 55
Good Day in Hell
My Man
After the Thrill Is Gone
Too Many Hands
Pretty Maids All in a Row
The Last Resort
Those Shoes
The Sad Cafe
Long Road Out of Eden
Do Something

Voting for Round Two begins now.

LA Eagle
01-29-2015, 10:00 PM
James Dean

Freypower
01-29-2015, 10:02 PM
The Last Resort. It featured prominently in HFO & it's widely praised. I don't believe it's underrated at all.

01-30-2015, 12:10 AM
FWIW - I think The Last Resort is very underrated. While it may be given some praise in the Eagles fandom, I doubt that much of the general public is even aware of it. I don't recall it ever getting any radio play around where I'm from, and the band has rarely played it live. To me, it is a perfect example of a really good song that is underappreciated and has faded into obscurity outside the band's fandom, which is my definition of underrated.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-30-2015, 12:35 AM
I heard it not too long ago on one of the SiriusXM channels. I'll vote for it again with all the same reasoning I used before, plus the fact it's on the HFO video and CD means it's gotten more attention than it deserves IMO. I vote for The Last Resort.

WalshFan88
01-30-2015, 06:47 AM
Bitter Creek

UndertheWire
01-30-2015, 07:48 AM
I'll stick with The Last Resort. If I was to go by the general public in the UK, all Eagles songs would be underrated, even Hotel California, so I can only go by fans, critics and whatever I've read over the last couple of years.

thelastresort
01-30-2015, 07:50 AM
The ever-tedious James Dean. Same reasons as before, plus the fact that it was a concert staple until about 1978 tells me it can't have been too underrated.

scottside
01-30-2015, 10:12 AM
James Dean

L101
01-30-2015, 10:17 AM
I'll vote again for James Dean

DivineDon
01-30-2015, 10:24 AM
I'm voting again for OL' 55 because I have seen it given some publicity and credence so it's not as underrated as some others and as I mentioned previously I'm not a big fan of it anyway.

Midnight Visitor
01-30-2015, 10:41 AM
I vote for the extremely overrated Desperado / Doolin-Dalton Reprise!

Brooke
01-30-2015, 10:56 AM
I vote for The Last Resort and agreeing with what Freypower said.

BBKron
01-30-2015, 12:06 PM
Hi All,

It has been many months since I last dropped by the Border (Hey, just been busy with other stuff). Just on a whim I came by today, and saw that you are having this Underrated song Survivor game. Now that is something that is right up my alley, since most of my favorite Eagles songs are definitely in the underrated category. So, I would like to chime in here. Overall, I think you have a very good field of choices here for underrated songs. Of course, there are a few others I would have liked to see included, such as Train Leaves Here This Morning, Certain Kind of Fool, and Twenty-One. And I guess I wouldn't get any support at all for suggesting that Journey of the Sorcerer may well be THE most underrated of all Eagles songs, because it is so readily dismissed as even being an Eagles song, but is a classic nonetheless.

Anyway, as for the songs in the game, I have to agree with those that have said that The Last Resort is not really underrated at all. It is a great song and one of my favorites, but certainly not underrated or under-appreciated. It is one of the prominent cornerstone songs of the Eagles most famous and successful album, certainly one of the 'pillar' songs that has made that album so iconic and celebrated. Because of the subject matter and great lyrical content, it is considered one of their most serious, 'important', and powerful message songs. A great song, but I don't see this as being underrated at all. In fact, it is one of their most celebrated, as far as their 'non-hit' album songs go.

So my vote has to go for The Last Resort.

NightMistBlue
01-30-2015, 02:14 PM
If I was to go by the general public in the UK, all Eagles songs would be underrated, even Hotel California...

Oh, I thought the Eagles have long been popular in the UK, is that not the case?

UndertheWire
01-30-2015, 03:45 PM
Oh, I thought the Eagles have long been popular in the UK, is that not the case?
They were never really a singles band in the UK (only 2 singles made it to the top twenty, according to wikipedia) which means they don't get played much on the radio these days.

Glennsallnighter
01-30-2015, 04:48 PM
I think the fact that 'Train' was included in the set list on the HOTE tour would elevate its position out of the 'underrated' category!

I think most days I would hear at least one Eagles song on the radio over here. Then again I tend to listen to the 'easy Listening' stations. I also hear some of Don H and Glenn :heart:'s solo songs occasionally.

This round I think I will vote off 'The Last Resort' again, as I think the other songs on the list would tend to be even more 'underrated'

Funk 50
01-30-2015, 06:14 PM

During the 70s and 80s, despite having only two top twenty hits (NKIT & HC), the Eagles were one of the most played bands on UK Radio. Probably more than the 60s bands, The Beatles, The Stones and The Who, definitely more than Led Zep. Mostly tracks from the 1972-75 Greatest Hits album.

When the charts and Top Of The Pops disintegrated, the classic rock bands got played a lot more and the Eagles fell from prominence. They are obviously still loved by listeners who heard them in the 70s but they don't get much airplay now.

The UK's leading media organisation, the BBC, list their top 100 artists each week, based on the number of plays on their various stations.

The Eagles may make the lower reaches, if a member of the band is in the UK on a promo visit but even when the band itself is in the country, they rarely make the top 100 artists list.

BBC - Music - Artists
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists

Radio plays don't count for much these days but the Eagles don't show up much on other media outlets either.

As to which Eagles songs are under or overrated, I haven't a clue.

I can only say, judging by the set list of the HOTE tour, the band underrate their Long Road Out Of Eden album. One of the tracks won a Grammy!

Funk 50
01-30-2015, 06:25 PM
I think the fact that 'Train' was included in the set list on the HOTE tour would elevate its position out of the 'underrated' category!

I considered labeling "Train" overrated by the band but I can't see what else they could put so early in the set, featuring Bernie. It's way down the list of my favourite Leadon tracks.

Jonny Come Lately
01-30-2015, 06:57 PM
During the 70s and 80s, despite having only two top twenty hits (NKIT & HC), the Eagles were one of the most played bands on UK Radio. Probably more than the 60s bands, The Beatles, The Stones and The Who, definitely more than Led Zep. Mostly tracks from the 1972-75 Greatest Hits album.

When the charts and Top Of The Pops disintegrated, the classic rock bands got played a lot more and the Eagles fell from prominence. They are obviously still loved by listeners who heard them in the 70s but they don't get much airplay now.

The UK's leading media organisation, the BBC, list their top 100 artists each week, based on the number of plays on their various stations.

The Eagles may make the lower reaches, if a member of the band is in the UK on a promo visit but even when the band itself is in the country, they rarely make the top 100 artists list.

BBC - Music - Artists
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists

Radio plays don't count for much these days but the Eagles don't show up much on other media outlets either.

The only two Eagles songs I have ever heard on UK radio are Lyin' Eyes and LIFTL. Not saying that these are the only ones played but really I think these are the only two Eagles songs which come close to HC as the only Eagles songs which the vast majority of people over here recognise. By contrast, Fleetwood Mac continue to receive a lot of attention, with the Rumours album possessing four songs which everyone seems to know (Dreams, Don't Stop, Go Your Own Way, The Chain) with Rhiannon and the Tango In The Night singles also continuing to receive quite a bit of airplay in my experience. Additionally, Rumours also figures high up the list of best selling albums in the UK, with no Eagles albums to be seen.

I read on another forum that the Eagles did not gain widespread recognition in the UK until the release of The Best Of My Love as a single in early 1975, with the One Of These Nights album and its singles cementing their popularity. I mentioned this to my dad and said that in the 1970s most people tended to own the OOTN and HC albums but not the earlier ones (I can imagine Their Greatest Hits 1971-75 would have been quite popular too). I'm not too sure about the popularity of The Long Run apart from the fact that it wasn't as popular as Hotel.

Also worth mentioning is the lack of classic rock radio in the UK - as was stated in the HOTE documentary, this format helped ensure that the Eagles continued to be played on radio after the split. I think this partly explains why their songs are much less widely played now than in the 1970s. Pink Floyd have also suffered from this, with even songs like Comfortably Numb receiving a lot less airplay than in the US, as unbelievable as this may sound. Also, country music, being clearly an American movement, isn't as big over here which doesn't help the country rock songs, although the popularity of Lyin' Eyes doesn't support this (frankly in the UK I'm not sure how many people would recognise any country rock acts other than the Eagles or the Byrds, as far as I'm aware the likes of Poco never made it big on these shores).

As for the members' solo careers, I think the only three songs which have any real widespread recognition are Don's Boys Of Summer, and Joe's Life's Been Good and Rocky Mountain Way. Overall, then I have to say I think the band is significantly underrated in the UK, especially in its early country rock days. In some ways this isn't bad although I can certainly think of bands which get more attention who can't hold a candle to them.

I'll submit my vote for this round soon, just wanted to post my thoughts on this first.

sodascouts
01-30-2015, 07:24 PM
Very interesting! After watching a couple British documentaries, I had the impression Desperado was popular there. It sounds like it's more of a critic's darling than popular amongst the people now, though.

As for my vote, what I like and others don't, I consider underrated. The reverse is also true. Simple as that.

Thus, I cast my vote for Long Road out of Eden again.

BBKron
01-30-2015, 07:28 PM

That is not at all true. It is a very underrated song. It's inclusion in the HOTE shows represents it's historical significance to the band, but it is almost never included in discussions of the band's best songs (although it is one), even from the early days. My guess is that it was Bernie that wanted to include it in HOTE, as it is a very important song to him and his career (co-written with Gene Clark before Bernie came to the Eagles), and they needed an early song featuring Bernie. Also, Train probably represents and exemplifies the early style and sound of the Eagles better than any song other than TIE (and they would not consider TIE for that early in the show), so it needed to be there. 'Train' is probably the first Eagles song I heard that really made me fall in love with their music, back before they had any hits at all. But it most certainly is underrated as an Eagles song.

Regardless, it is not included in this Survivor game, so it really doesn't matter. But being someone who has had to stand up for this classic song amid so many others who dismiss it or 'just don't care for it much', I know that it most certainly is underrated.

Jonny Come Lately
01-30-2015, 07:42 PM
I missed the first round although fortunately I think I'd probably have voted for MOUAS as well (though I do like it quite a lot) so my vote wouldn't have made much difference.

On one hand, I think there is a lot of logic in BBKron's comments on The Last Resort, which I agree is often mentioned as one of the Eagles' most iconic non-singles. However to me it is more than just an excellent album track, it is one of their very best songs overall, and an absolutely outstanding piece with some of Henley's finest lyrics. It gets me every time and I absolutely love it.

I am not saying that The Last Resort should win this game but I don't think I'm ready for it to go just yet. Therefore, I shall turn to James Dean - I think thelastresort has a good point about it remaining a regular in their live set for several years (something The Last Resort cannot claim, I might add) but also, as much as I love the song and in particular its guitars, I think it is not quite as strong as Good Day In Hell, another rocker from the same album which while reasonably popular on here in my experience, has been all but forgotten in the wider world and someone failed to make the cut for either the Selected Works or The Very Best of the Eagles compilations. This is unfortunate as it is a terrific song notably featuring a great Frey/Henley co-lead vocal and Felder's scorching slide guitar playing - which got him a permanent place in the band, and thus that song has a significant if sometimes overlooked place in Eagles history.

Therefore, with a slightly heavy heart, I vote to eliminate James Dean.

UndertheWire
01-30-2015, 09:14 PM
Jonny, thanks for your writeup on the Eagles popularity in the UK. You've covered it pretty well. The breakthrough song was "One of these nights" and that was played frequently. The earlier songs did get some airplay, mostly by Johnny Walker who had the lunchtime slot on BBC Radio 1, but they weren't hits.

GlennLover
01-30-2015, 09:40 PM
I'm going with The Last Resort. I agree with those who are believe that this song is not underrated.

thelastresort
01-30-2015, 09:41 PM
The way I always saw the Eagles in the UK was like Queen in the US - they never really 'got' them, and remained astronomically more popular in their homeland than across the Atlantic.

In all of the hours I've listened to the radio over here (usually the BBC stations) I've heard Hotel California, Lyin' Eyes, Take It Easy and Smuggler's Blues once each. Nowt more, nowt less. Obviously more era- or genre- specific stations will have a wider variety (I once got I Wish You Peace played as a request on one), but it's very thin on the ground bearing in mind how huge their impact both musically and financially has been.

DivineDon
01-31-2015, 08:14 AM
I think most days I would hear at least one Eagles song on the radio over here. Then again I tend to listen to the 'easy Listening' stations. I also hear some of Don H and Glenn :heart:'s solo songs occasionally.

You're right GA, they are often on the radio here and remain hugely popular. Even younger people know who you're talking about when you mention the Eagles. My brother says they're always played on the jukebox in the local pub! And the Last Resort has become a cult classic in our village :hilarious:. Also I requested a Don song for my birthday last week on one of the national stations and the DJ played EOTI - lovely :thumbsup: It helps that he's also a singer/drummer and an avid fan of the guys. You know him, GA - Ronan Collins - he always plays a song for me on Don's birthday as well :)

Funk 50
01-31-2015, 09:47 AM
I'm not too sure about the popularity of The Long Run apart from the fact that it wasn't as popular as Hotel.

Well the bargain bins were full of the Heartache tonight single. It was all over the radio when it was released, preceding The Long Run album but I guess people just waited for the album.

In complete contrast, the other singles, The title track and The Sad Cafe were very difficult to find.

Despite their low UK profile, the Eagles have never had difficulty shifting tickets for their live shows at all the major venues in the country, with hardly any publicity.

As for my vote, what I like and others don't, I consider underrated. The reverse is also true. Simple as that.
Sounds good to me Sodascouts, I just feel uncomfortable when anybody, myself included, display knowledge of how other people, sometimes vast populations, think, when it's really just a guess without any evidence to support it.

After contributing to this thread, I feel compelled to vote. May I ask?
Are we voting for the song we like least or the song we feel is least underrated?

sodascouts
01-31-2015, 12:22 PM
That was what my post was trying to explain... I am voting for the song I like the least because I really can't figure out how to quantify which of the competing songs are most or least underrated in relation to each other.

All of the songs that were chosen are not as well-known by the general public as the hits. That's obvious - we don't need a scientific poll to know that "Most of Us Are Sad" is less popular than "Take It Easy." However, once we move past that, it does pretty much become entirely subjective as to which songs are appreciated more or less sand why.

Thus, I'm just voting off the ones I personally like the least because hey, if I like it but I don't see it getting love from others, I think it's underrated!

If you choose to try and figure out what is more or less underrated by self-determined criteria as some people are doing - and more power to them! - then feel free. Either way works - it's all personal choice.

zeldabjr
01-31-2015, 07:07 PM
I'm sticking with Pretty Maids All in a Row...to me this song is not underrated...

Glennsallnighter
01-31-2015, 07:11 PM
You're right GA, they are often on the radio here and remain hugely popular. Even younger people know who you're talking about when you mention the Eagles. My brother says they're always played on the jukebox in the local pub! And the Last Resort has become a cult classic in our village :hilarious:. Also I requested a Don song for my birthday last week on one of the national stations and the DJ played EOTI - lovely :thumbsup: It helps that he's also a singer/drummer and an avid fan of the guys. You know him, GA - Ronan Collins - he always plays a song for me on Don's birthday as well :)

Reading this I was guessing Ronan before I read it! Pity I missed the show but high chances that Desperada heard it coz she listens to Ronans show every day. He's a big fan! He also plays music for Glenn :heart: and Joe's birthdays.
I tend to listen to Sunshine, Q102 and sometimes 4FM.

01-31-2015, 08:53 PM
I'm going to vote for the song that I feel is the weakest of the remaining bunch. I know that some may not agree with me, but, again, if I don't think a song is really good, then I have a hard time considering it as underrated. Therefore ...

I cast my vote for Too Many Hands.

01-31-2015, 10:08 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Underrated Eagles Song Survivor is The Last Resort. “The Last Resort”, I know you were looking to hang out in paradise where the pretty people play, but the tribe has spoken. It is time to pack up your hope and dreams and sail to Lahaina because you must leave the island immediately.

Votes
The Last Resort– 7
James Dean – 5
Bitter Creek – 1
Ol' 55 – 1
Pretty Maids All in a Row – 1
Too Many Hands – 1

Vote Breakdown
The Last Resort – Freypower
The Last Resort – VAisForEagleLovers
The Last Resort – UndertheWire
The Last Resort – Brooke
The Last Resort – Glennsallnighter
The Last Resort – BBKron
The Last Resort – GlennLover
James Dean – LA Eagle
James Dean – scottside
James Dean – Lacken101
James Dean – Jonny Come Lately
Ol' 55 – DevineDon
Too Many Hands – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
Most of Us Are Sad 1/29
The Last Resort 1/31

Songs remaining:
Bitter Creek
James Dean
Ol' 55
Good Day in Hell
My Man
After the Thrill Is Gone
Too Many Hands
Those Shoes
The Sad Cafe
Long Road Out of Eden
Do Something

Voting for Round Three begins now.

Freypower
02-01-2015, 01:12 AM
I might join those who voted for James Dean. I don't really think its as underrated as the other remaining songs.

Funk 50
02-01-2015, 05:34 AM

Despite being a Walsh fan, I find too much guitar wizardry a real turn off. I feel Joe's inclusion in the Eagles really tidied up their guitar sound, which was ok when they were a quartet but got too fussy and crowded when Felder joined in. Too Many Hands and James Dean being two classic examples.

I surprisingly enjoy the version I've heard by Randy's lousy live band though, circa early eighties.

scottside
02-01-2015, 10:55 AM
James Dean. As much as I love it, it was a very minor hit in 1974 and did get some radio play.

DivineDon
02-01-2015, 11:24 AM
Ol' 55

thelastresort
02-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Please, please, please can James Dean go now?

Midnight Visitor
02-01-2015, 01:05 PM
Desperado / Doolin-Dalton Reprise

sodascouts
02-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Predictably...

L101
02-01-2015, 03:00 PM
James Dean

Desperada
02-01-2015, 04:47 PM
James Dean

VAisForEagleLovers
02-01-2015, 05:44 PM
In my last votes, I used the fact that I don't care for the song and that I didn't feel it underrated, so with two minuses, it was an easy pick. I'm not sure James Dean is underrated, I hear it pretty often on the radio. Yet I do like the song, so....

I vote for Too Many Hands. I like it, but it's the least favorite on the list. I always skip over at least the last minute.

Jonny Come Lately
02-01-2015, 06:03 PM
I'll go for James Dean again.

As much as I like the song, out of the four songs from On The Border in this Survivor there are two which I hope to see go far in this game and James Dean isn't one of them. Both of these are strong personal favourites and would probably be high up my personal list of favourite Eagles songs, I will play my hand so to speak and say that Good Day In Hell - one of rock's 'lost classics' to my mind - is one of the two.

GlennLover
02-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Too Many Hands It was never one of my favourites.

sodascouts
02-02-2015, 08:14 AM
I know not everyone likes it, and that's fair enough, but one of the things about "Too Many Hands" that makes it a worthy contender is that it's underrated not only by the general public, but by regular fans as well. People just forget about it. Go back and re-listen to that rockin' song and who knows, you might like it better than you think!

UndertheWire
02-02-2015, 08:33 AM
I'll go with James Dean. I like it but it had its 15 minutes of glory.

WalshFan88
02-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Bitter Creek

Glennsallnighter
02-02-2015, 10:03 AM
James Dean -

Brooke
02-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Too Many Hands

Funk 50
02-02-2015, 04:04 PM
I know not everyone likes it, and that's fair enough, but one of the things about "Too Many Hands" that makes it a worthy contender is that it's underrated not only by the general public, but by regular fans as well. People just forget about it. Go back and re-listen to that rockin' song and who knows, you might like it better than you think!

Just listened to it again and my opinion remains the same. I can't see any of the guys on the record using it as an example of their better work.

When I heard Randy's solo live version, I did actually think Too Many Hands was better than I thought it was but alongside other Eagles material, below average would be an accurate description IMO.

Jonny Come Lately
02-02-2015, 06:48 PM
If memory serves Don Felder quite liked Too Many Hands and I think Randy Meisner is pretty satisfied with the song too - go to about 24:30 on this video and he speaks a little about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzt_BDRnCLE

Of course, the fact that Randy chose to play the song in his live shows is an indication that he's quite fond of it, with it not being a hit there wouldn't have been that much demand for him to play it, at least not compared to Take It To The Limit at any rate.

I love Too Many Hands and am currently listening to a 1975 live version of the song. I really like the guitar work, I think the main acoustic riff is memorable and I love the solos at the end. The lyrics are very cleverly written and not unlike Certain Kind of Fool work for both possible meanings (either about a woman or about Mother Earth) while being sufficiently clear that they are about one of these two things, while Randy's vocals and the Eagles harmonies are also strong to me. One other musical moment I really love is the bass in the bridge which is clearly highlighted. I accept that not everyone shares my views on this song but to me it's definitely an excellent Eagles tune.

zeldabjr
02-02-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm sticking with Pretty Maids All in a Row

shunlvswx
02-02-2015, 08:12 PM
I vote James Dean. I know it wasn't a hit, but the guys did make it a single.

02-02-2015, 08:47 PM

Well - Soda. I dunno if people forget about Too Many Hands or not; if the song's not that memorable maybe it's simply because it doesn't reasonate that well with a lot of us. I've listened to it plenty, but I just think it's one of the band's weaker songs. I'm not crazy about the melody and it is probably my least favorite of all of Randy's vocals. Therefore ...

UK TimFan
02-02-2015, 08:57 PM
I vote 'Pretty maids all in a row'.

02-02-2015, 09:02 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Underrated Eagles Song Survivor is James Dean. “James Dean”, you were too fast to live and too young to die, but the tribe has spoken. Now, please leave the island and go down the road to eternity.

Votes
James Dean – 9
Too Many Hands – 5
Pretty Maids All in a Row – 2
Ol' 55 – 1
Bitter Creek – 1

Vote Breakdown
James Dean – Freypower
James Dean – scottside
James Dean – Lacken101
James Dean – Desperada
James Dean – Jonny Come Lately
James Dean – UndertheWire
James Dean – Glennsallnighter
James Dean – shunlvswx
Too Many Hands – Funk 50
Too Many Hands – VAisForEagleLovers
Too Many Hands – GlennLover
Too Many Hands – Brooke
Too Many Hands – Ive always been a dreamer
Ol' 55 – DevineDon

Songs eliminated:
Most of Us Are Sad 1/29
The Last Resort 1/31
James Dean 2/02

Songs remaining:
Bitter Creek
Ol' 55
Good Day in Hell
My Man
After the Thrill Is Gone
Too Many Hands
Those Shoes
The Sad Cafe
Long Road Out of Eden
Do Something

Voting for Round Four begins now.

DivineDon
02-03-2015, 07:11 AM
Once again, Ol' 55

thelastresort
02-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Too Many Hands. I think everyone else has pretty much summed up why.

UndertheWire
02-03-2015, 08:38 AM
After reading the comments yesterday, I listened to Too Many Hands. It's not a track I've ever disliked or even thought that much about but this time I regretted that I'd already voted for James Dean. I can still justify that on the grounds that James Dean isn't underrated but I like it so much more than Too Many Hands. Too Many Hands is too clunky and repetitive for me.

I vote for Too Many Hands.

LA Eagle
02-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Too Many Hands

GlennLover
02-03-2015, 08:55 AM
Too Many Hands

scottside
02-03-2015, 09:51 AM
"Ol' 55"

Desperada
02-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Too Many Hands

BBKron
02-03-2015, 03:20 PM
I agree with Soda that Too Many Hands actually is a nifty little song that does tend to get overlooked (one of the better OOTN songs yet rarely talked about), so it definitely does deserve its status as an underrated Eagles song.

However, it still is a bit weaker than most of the other songs left in the game, so it's not surprising that it is on the verge of being eliminated this round (and I won't be bothered much if it is eliminated). But I will support its underratedness and stand up for this song by not voting for it this round.

Instead, I will vote for a song that I would consider less underrated. And that would be Pretty Maids All in a Row. Although I really like this song, and it is probably a better song overall than TMH, I don't really think that it is all that underrated.

First, no songs on Hotel California can really be considered very underrated. As part of one of the most popular and iconic rock albums of all-time, they are all well-known, played alot, and enjoyed immensely (there being no weak tracks on the album). Second, it is generally considered by many to be Joe's best and most well-known song with the Eagles (not counting his own solo tracks). Overall, it is a very popular track (both live and studio versions). Thus, although a great song, to me, this is a much less underrated song than most of the others here in this game.

Thus, I cast my vote for Pretty Maids All in a Row.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-03-2015, 03:33 PM
I vote for Too Many Hands

Freypower
02-03-2015, 04:32 PM
I vote for Pretty Maids All In A Row for the reasons BBKron gave.

Midnight Visitor
02-03-2015, 06:34 PM
The fact that no one except me has voted for Desperado/Droolin' Dalton tells me it's overrated. My vote is for Desperado/Doolin' Dalton.

Jonny Come Lately
02-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Right now it seems highly likely that Too Many Hands will be the next song to be eliminated from this game - this is a shame in view, as I think it is genuinely underrated and I really like this song in general.

In response to BBKron's comments, the more I think about, Try And Love Again is probably the most underrated song from Hotel California (if there are any) - I've always loved it, in fact I've loved it from the moment I heard the intro chords, but unlike the other songs on the album it was rarely played live and given that Randy left the band the following year it is perhaps more easily overlooked than the others. The first three songs speak for themselves, all being such big songs, while VOL has received its share of radio play and is reasonably popular and the others were all highlighted by Hell Freezes Over (indeed, I think the HFO performance of PMAIAR edges the original recording, as fine as it is).

I will vote to eliminate Ol' 55 in this round. I think the Eagles cover is excellent, combining as it does some great vocals from Glenn and Don with the beautiful combination of pedal steel and piano which provides a new take on the song and elevates it from being a fairly standard cover, but I'm not sure that Ol' 55 as a song is as underrated given that it was recorded only the year before by Tom Waits, an excellent and respected songwriter, and I'd rather see underrated songs penned by the Eagles themselves go the distance.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-03-2015, 11:26 PM
The fact that no one except me has voted for Desperado/Droolin' Dalton tells me it's overrated. My vote is for Desperado/Doolin' Dalton.

MV, can I ask why you think it's overrated? If you look back to the reviews of the first few shows, the reporters doing the reviews didn't recognize it or know what to call it. Sounds pretty underrated to me! Anyway, I love love love the song, and I certainly never thought much about the song either way until I heard them do it live on the HOTE tour.

02-03-2015, 11:58 PM
Yeah - I guess I have a different take on this than MV does. The fact that the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise hasn't been getting any other votes so far makes me think that the voters in the game feel it is indeed underrated. I know I do. I also agree with VA that the song i was/is hardly recognized outside of the hardcore fandom. I personally think it is an exceptional song that is very under-appreciated and underrated, and I'm rooting for it to finish very high in this game.

Funk 50
02-04-2015, 05:19 AM
I initially thought the idea of an Underrated Eagles Song Survivor was a bit screwy but it's been a revelation. I can't believe I've just spent a couple of days considering the attributes of Too Many Hands!

Funny to hear Randy saying it could be a future classic, as Glenn once described, The Girl From Yesterday. Granted, it was ahead of it's time with it's friends of the earth lyrics but it's a 2nd division Eagles song if not a 3rd.

I vote again for Too Many Hands.

L101
02-04-2015, 10:17 AM
I vote for Too Many Hands.

I've listened to it a few times over the past couple of days and its an OK song for background music but IMO not an underrated song

UK TimFan
02-04-2015, 05:20 PM
I vote for 'Pretty maids all in a row'.

Brooke
02-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Too Many Hands

I must say I, too, love the DD/Desperado Reprise. Although, it's the two songs put together somewhat, so is it really a 'song' all by itself? It's kinda confusing to call it an original song. But, I love it!

zeldabjr
02-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Pretty Maids All In A Row...love this song...but I don't think it's underrated...

Glennsallnighter
02-04-2015, 07:20 PM
Yes, I would go for Pretty Maids All in a Row as well. While its not one of the 'classic' Eagles songs that you would hear on the radio for example I don't think its as underrated as some of the other tunes. I have my own 'Most Underrated Song' picked out. I wonder how long it will last?

02-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Well, I would definitely vote for Too Many Hands if it needed my vote for elimination. But, since it is going down, I'll go ahead and vote strategically for the next song that I feel should be eliminated ...

I cast my vote for Pretty Maids All in a Row.

02-04-2015, 09:04 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Underrated Eagles Song Survivor is Too Many Hands. “Too Many Hands”, the tribe has spoken and we are doing what we feel is best. Now, you’ve lost all your glory, so please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Too Many Hands – 9
Pretty Maids All in a Row – 6
Ol' 55 – 3

Vote Breakdown
Too Many Hands – thelastresort
Too Many Hands – UndertheWire
Too Many Hands – LA Eagle
Too Many Hands – GlennLover
Too Many Hands – Desperada
Too Many Hands – VAisForEagleLovers
Too Many Hands – Funk 50
Too Many Hands – Lacken101
Too Many Hands – Brooke
Pretty Maids All in a Row – BBKron
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Freypower
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Glennsallnighter
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Ive always been a dreamer
Ol' 55 – DevineDon
Ol' 55 – scottside
Ol' 55 – Jonny Come Lately

Songs eliminated:
Most of Us Are Sad 1/29
The Last Resort 1/31
James Dean 2/02
Too Many Hands 2/04

Songs remaining:
Bitter Creek
Ol' 55
Good Day in Hell
My Man
After the Thrill Is Gone
Those Shoes
The Sad Cafe
Long Road Out of Eden
Do Something

Voting for Round Five begins now.

sodascouts
02-04-2015, 09:12 PM
I was about to say you didn't count my vote when I realized, to my dismay, that I had not voted! Guess iI just dreamt that I had! Luckily - or unluckily - my vote would not have affected the outcome.

The fate of TMH does not speak well of my persuasive powers. ;)

As for my vote, I stubbornly persist...

I cast my vote for Long Road out of Eden.

Freypower
02-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Pretty Maids All In A Row

Funk 50
02-05-2015, 06:44 AM
I'm just voting for my least favourite, without considering how underrated a song may or may not be and I'm very fond of Pretty Maids All In A Row and Ol' 55. I'd like to see them challenging towards the end of the game.

I like Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise too. I actually heard the live version of Doolin-Dalton/Desperado, performed as one long track before I heard the album versions that open and close the Desperado album.

I still view Doolin-Dalton and Doolin-Dalton/Desperado reprise as incomplete tracks which spoils my enjoyment of them. I can see why they may have split the track for a vinyl record but the CD release could have included the two part tracks together. It'd make a perfect extra track (along with the extended versions of Outlaw Man and Tequila Sunrise)

Of the remaining tracks, my least favourite is Bitter Creek. No groove, no memorable lyrics, pleasantish tune in parts, has nice harmony vocals but which Eagles song doesn't?

I vote for Bitter Creek

UndertheWire
02-05-2015, 07:29 AM
I'll cosy up to Soda for this round and vote for Long Road Out of Eden. It's the title track of their first studio album in 28 (?) years, it's 10 minutes long and it just doesn't live up to the hype.

scottside
02-05-2015, 09:34 AM
I vote for "Pretty Maids All In A Row."

Brooke
02-05-2015, 10:59 AM
I will now vote for Pretty Maids All In A Row. I don't think it's underrated compared to what's left.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-05-2015, 11:42 AM
I'm just voting for my least favourite, without considering how underrated a song may or may not be and I'm very fond of Pretty Maids All In A Row and Ol' 55. I'd like to see them challenging towards the end of the game.

I like Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise too. I actually heard the live version of Doolin-Dalton/Desperado, performed as one long track before I heard the album versions that open and close the Desperado album.

I still view Doolin-Dalton and Doolin-Dalton/Desperado reprise as incomplete tracks which spoils my enjoyment of them. I can see why they may have split the track for a vinyl record but the CD release could have included the two part tracks together. It'd make a perfect extra track (along with the extended versions of Outlaw Man and Tequila Sunrise)

Of the remaining tracks, my least favourite is Bitter Creek. No groove, no memorable lyrics, pleasantish tune in parts, has nice harmony vocals but which Eagles song doesn't?

I vote for Bitter Creek

F50, I'm confused by your post. Of course, being sick this week, a lot of things confuse me! It could be that however you listen to the songs is in a different order than the original vinyl, but my copy of Desperado (the album) has Doolin' Dalton as the opening track, not Reprise. It does have Reprise at the end. Just so we avoid confusion, there are four different songs on the album (not split tracks):

Doolin' Dalton - this is the song in its entirety, and they do sing it live on this tour, followed by Tequila Sunrise, then by the Reprise.

Desperado - this is the song in its entirety, and they sing it as the last song on every tour.

Doolin'-Dalton (Instrumental) - this is 47 seconds of really great banjo music and doesn't really sound like Doolin'-Dalton (the first song)

Doolin'-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) - this is a stand alone song that starts with a reprise of Doolin'-Dalton and moves into a reprise of Desperado. Both include lyrics not included in the stand-alone songs. As far as I know, this tour is the first they've sung it live.

So, if you really feel it's a split track, it would be split from Desperado as well, since it's about half and half. Why do you feel Doolin'-Dalton as incomplete and not Desperado?

GlennLover
02-05-2015, 12:12 PM
Here is a link to D/DD Reprise performed live on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. As well, I have a bootleg of them performing it in concert in the '70's (Seattle, I think). http://youtu.be/brRvG7k1WGg

VAisForEagleLovers
02-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Thank you for clarifying that, GL! I've been wondering...

VAisForEagleLovers
02-05-2015, 12:24 PM
I feel that all the songs left on the list are underrated. PMAIAR is the possible exception, on the other hand, in spite of the fact it was on the HFO tour and now this tour, it doesn't ever seem to get its fair share of any discussion.

So, I'm going to vote for the song on the list that I like the least. I don't dislike it, but it's a song that seems to work best if you're Comfortably Numb (as Pink Floyd would say). I vote for My Man.

thelastresort
02-05-2015, 12:27 PM
I vote for Pretty Maids All In a Row. I adore the song but will agree with that it's the least underrated left, as is evidenced by its near-staple status since the HFO.

(And yes, D-D/D Reprise is included in the Seattle bootleg. Lasted as a near regular until the end of the OOTN tour.)

WalshFan88
02-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Bitter Creek

GlennLover
02-05-2015, 02:48 PM
BITTER CREEK

Funk 50
02-05-2015, 03:49 PM
F50, I'm confused by your post. Of course, being sick this week, a lot of things confuse me! It could be that however you listen to the songs is in a different order than the original vinyl, but my copy of Desperado (the album) has Doolin' Dalton as the opening track, not Reprise. It does have Reprise at the end. Just so we avoid confusion, there are four different songs on the album (not split tracks):

Doolin' Dalton - this is the song in its entirety, and they do sing it live on this tour, followed by Tequila Sunrise, then by the Reprise.

Desperado - this is the song in its entirety, and they sing it as the last song on every tour.

Doolin'-Dalton (Instrumental) - this is 47 seconds of really great banjo music and doesn't really sound like Doolin'-Dalton (the first song)

Doolin'-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) - this is a stand alone song that starts with a reprise of Doolin'-Dalton and moves into a reprise of Desperado. Both include lyrics not included in the stand-alone songs. As far as I know, this tour is the first they've sung it live.

So, if you really feel it's a split track, it would be split from Desperado as well, since it's about half and half. Why do you feel Doolin'-Dalton as incomplete and not Desperado?

Thanks for the great response GlennLover.

Here is a link to D/DD Reprise performed live on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. As well, I have a bootleg of them performing it in concert in the '70's (Seattle, I think). http://youtu.be/brRvG7k1WGg

Being acquainted with the early live version first, as linked to by GlennLover, I always feel that the Doolin-Dalton that opens the Desperado album ends abruptly, far too soon.

If Bernie and Joe would've performed the little hillbilly instrumental version of Doolin-Dalton during the HOTE rour, I'd have definitely spent the fortune to go see it.

I'm wondering if fans prefer Doolin-Dalton and Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) together, like the Eagles used to perform it live or separately as they appear on the Desperado album. But that's another topic.

Many thanks to the posters not voting for Pretty Maids All In A Row. It'll be some achievement to save it.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-05-2015, 04:20 PM
Being acquainted with the early live version first, as linked to by GlennLover, I always feel that the Doolin-Dalton that opens the Desperado album ends abruptly, far too soon.

I guess since today was the first I'd heard it, I thought it kind of went on for forever! A song for over 8 minutes is difficult to withstand unless you are actually in the concert environment. At least, it is for me. As for DD itself, it has always seemed about right to me in terms of length. In fact, before this tour, I usually didn't listen to the entire thing if I was within reach the 'forward' button. It's great to hear a different perspective.

L101
02-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Pretty Maids All In A Row.

Desperada
02-05-2015, 06:08 PM

Jonny Come Lately
02-05-2015, 06:11 PM
I would like to see Pretty Maids All In A Row survive to the next round. I agree with VA that it doesn't get discussed as often as most of the other songs on Hotel California.

Therefore, I will again go for Ol' 55.

BBKron
02-06-2015, 10:45 AM
I again vote for Pretty Maids All In A Row, for the reasons previously outlined.

Great song, but not really all that underrated, particularly in relation to the others left in the game.

Glennsallnighter
02-06-2015, 06:32 PM
Yes, I would agree with BBK. I vote off Pretty Maids All in a Row this round as well

shunlvswx
02-06-2015, 08:04 PM
I have to admit. Before the HOTE tour, I've never heard of Doolin' Dalton and Doolin' Dalton/Desperado and I really didn't like the Desperado album, but I love those two songs now. If the guys didn't have those songs on the tour, I probably wouldn't like it today.

I vote Bitter Creek.

02-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Well, I agree with those who say they really like PMAIAR, but don't consider it really that underrated, so I agree it should be the next to go. But, since it doesn't need my vote, I'm going to vote strategically. This may raise a few hairs on the backs of some of your necks, but I kind of put this song in the same category as Pretty Maids - a great song, but not terribly underrated, IMO. Therefore ...

I cast my vote for Those Shoes.

UK TimFan
02-06-2015, 08:57 PM
I vote for 'The sad cafe'.

02-06-2015, 09:08 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Underrated Eagles Song Survivor is Pretty Maids All in a Row. “Pretty Maids All in a Row”, the tribe has spoken and your storybook has come to a close. Hope you have things to remember and places to go because you must leave the island immediately.

Votes
Pretty Maids All in a Row – 8
Bitter Creek – 4
Long Road Out of Eden– 2
My Man – 1
Ol' 55 – 1
Those Shoes – 1
The Sad Cafι – 1

Vote Breakdown
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Freypower
Pretty Maids All in a Row – scottside
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Brooke
Pretty Maids All in a Row – thelastresort
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Lacken101
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Desperada
Pretty Maids All in a Row – BBKron
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Glennsallnighter
Bitter Creek – Funk 50
Bitter Creek – GlennLover
Bitter Creek – shunlvswx
Long Road Out of Eden – UndertheWire
My Man – VAisForEagleLovers
Those Shoes – Ive always been a dreamer
The Sad Cafι – UK TimFan

Songs eliminated:
Most of Us Are Sad 1/29
The Last Resort 1/31
James Dean 2/02
Too Many Hands 2/04

Songs remaining:
Bitter Creek
Ol' 55
Good Day in Hell
My Man
After the Thrill Is Gone
Those Shoes
The Sad Cafe
Long Road Out of Eden
Do Something

Voting for Round Six begins now.

Freypower
02-06-2015, 09:27 PM
At this stage I have to go for a song which I know many on this board love & think is underrated, but I have never seen the appeal of it & so I don't think it's underrated; After The Thrill Is Gone.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-06-2015, 10:11 PM
Dreamer, I agree that Those Shoes isn't terribly overrated, and I did think about voting for it. A year ago it might have gotten my second vote, but after hearing it so often on this past tour, I've learned to like it a little more. Still, it is underrated if not a lot, and as for My Man, I'm thinking the reason it doesn't get any discussion or hype is because it's not that great of a song. So I'm not sure it's underrated at all.

I vote for My Man.

02-06-2015, 11:15 PM
Well VA - Although we may agree that Those Shoes isn't highly underrated, I have to disagree with you about My Man. I think that is a really good song and it is definitely my favorite Eagles song of Bernie's. Although I like Bitter Creek as well, I'd much rather that go down before My Man.

And I don't know what to say about After the Thrill Is Gone other than I think it is a fabulous song that is truly underrated. My guess is that it is going to deservedly finish pretty high in this game.

scottside
02-07-2015, 10:35 AM
I vote for "Ol' 55."

GlennLover
02-07-2015, 10:42 AM
Well VA - Although we may agree that Those Shoes isn't highly underrated, I have to disagree with you about My Man. I think that is a really good song and it is definitely my favorite Eagles song of Bernie's. Although I like Bitter Creek as well, I'd much rather that go down before My Man.

And I don't know what to say about After the Thrill Is Gone other than I think it is a fabulous song that is truly underrated. My guess is that it is going to deservedly finish pretty high in this game.

I certainly agree about My Man[I] and [I]ATTIG.

DivineDon
02-07-2015, 11:54 AM
Ol' 55

sodascouts
02-07-2015, 12:10 PM
I find "My Man" very moving. I hope it sticks around longer!

Once again...

WalshFan88
02-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Bitter Creek

I love ATTIG. Truly an underrated gem I think from OOTN. I love the Memphis style RnB licks Felder plays and the smooth lyrics and vocals. I wasn't a big fan until about last year and I just for some reason grew to love that song.

L101
02-07-2015, 03:41 PM
I vote for Good Day In Hell. I don't think its underrated at all - I know this is the song where they start to rock out by bringing in Felder but meh....:-?

I love ATTIG - now that is an underrated gem of a song!! I love when Don and Glenn share lead vocals, it really adds to the song.
And I love My Man, its such a gentle song and I hope it stays for a while longer.

Desperada
02-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Bitter Creek

Freypower
02-07-2015, 04:53 PM
I did say my view of ATTIG was a minority one.

sodascouts
02-07-2015, 05:13 PM
With underrated songs, all our opinions are minority! ;)

This is the least predictable Survivor we've ever done.

GlennLover
02-07-2015, 08:11 PM
I vote Bitter Creek again.

Funk 50
02-07-2015, 08:47 PM
I agree with you Freypower. There's nothing in After The Thrill Is Gone that the Eagles haven't done better before and since. I'm lost at the first few plodding guitar chords.

I heard it first on the Eagles Greatest Hits II album. What a lousy way to end an album. It just screamed "Filler".

I love ATTIG. Truly an underrated gem I think from OOTN. I love the Memphis style RnB licks Felder plays and the smooth lyrics and vocals. I wasn't a big fan until about last year and I just for some reason grew to love that song.

I'm glad to hear that WalshFan88. There's a couple of Walsh tracks that I've taken decades to learn to love, so it's nice to know I may grow to like ATTIG in the future.

In the last round I voted for Bitter Creek. I've just played both ATTIG and BC. Not much to choose between them.

This round I vote for After The Thrill Is Gone.

Jonny Come Lately
02-08-2015, 04:32 AM
I love both After The Thrill Is Gone and My Man. I think the former is right up there with the singles from One Of These Nights album as one of that album's highlights, with Henley's vocals and the lyrics on the bridge and Felder's R&B guitar parts being especially great in my view, while from first listen I've always loved the latter which is one of my three favourites from that album and I consider it to Bernie's finest Eagles song. It's quite moving and is about something worth get moved about (I can only imagine how saddened Bernie would have been when he heard the news of Gram Parsons' death), while avoiding. I think Bitter Creek is great too but I prefer My Man.

The positioning of ATTIG on Greatest Hits Volume 2 has always made me wonder whether Don and Glenn wanted to the song to be the closer on OOTN but were forced to put it back to the penultimate track to put Bernie's I Wish You Peace on the end of the album. However, from a purely musical perspective, without taking into the account the fact that the thrill really was gone with the band splitting, it was an odd inclusion on GH Volume 2, given that it was the only track on the compilation featuring Bernie and its overall feel is quite different from the other songs on there.

One thing that is pleasing me is the lack of votes for The Sad Cafι so far. This is another one of my very favourites and has always been my favourite track from The Long Run - and although that album as a whole took a while to grow on me I have also always liked the title track, ICTYW and In The City so this song's exalted position in my personal rankings is quite impressive.

I will again vote to eliminate Ol' 55. I do really like it, but the Eagles wrote plenty of great songs by themselves or with help from people who were clearly part of their inner circle (J.D. Souther especially) so I'd rather an Eagles original won this game than a cover, however well done.

Glennsallnighter
02-08-2015, 03:23 PM
I absolutely love ATTIG and have always thought how much of a pity it is that it did not get more exposure. Therefore I will join the Bitter Creek group!! Lol. And vote Bitter Creek off this round.

thelastresort
02-08-2015, 05:45 PM
I expect it to make no difference at all, but I vote for Those Shoes. It's grown on me hugely but the fact that it was a staple in The Long Run tour, Millennium shows and the current tour tells me it's not as under-appreciated as the others.

UndertheWire
02-08-2015, 07:20 PM
I don't want Bitter Creek to go but I can't bring myself to vote for After the Thrill is Gone.

I vote for Those Shoes. It works well as a live piece but as a recording, it's clunky and the lyrics aren't that good.

shunlvswx
02-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Bitter Creek again for me.

zeldabjr
02-08-2015, 08:31 PM
this round I'm voting for Bitter Creek

02-08-2015, 08:54 PM
Wow - It's really getting hard for me to chose - these are all such good songs. I guess I'm inclined to believe that it is time for Bitter Creek to go this round, but since it doesn't need my vote, I'll go for the one I think should be next ...

UK TimFan
02-08-2015, 08:58 PM

LA Eagle
02-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Bitter Creek

02-08-2015, 09:15 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Underrated Eagles Song Survivor is Bitter Creek. “Bitter Creek, well, you didn’t win the race, but that ain’t no cause to weep. The tribe has spoken so hit the road for one last time and leave the island immediately.

Votes
Bitter Creek – 6
Ol' 55 – 3
Those Shoes – 3
After the Thrill Is Gone – 2
My Man – 1
Good Day In Hell – 1
The Sad Cafι – 1

Vote Breakdown
Bitter Creek – Desperada
Bitter Creek – GlennLover
Bitter Creek – Glennsallnighter
Bitter Creek – shunlvswx
Bitter Creek – zeldabjr
Ol’ 55 – scottside
Ol' 55 – DevineDon
Those Shoes – thelastresort
Those Shoes – UndertheWire
After the Thrill Is Gone – Freypower
After the Thrill Is Gone – Funk 50
Good Day In Hell – Lacken101
The Sad Cafι – UK TimFan

Songs eliminated:
Most of Us Are Sad 1/29
The Last Resort 1/31
James Dean 2/02
Too Many Hands 2/04
Bitter Creek 2/08

Songs remaining:
Ol' 55
Good Day in Hell
My Man
After the Thrill Is Gone
Those Shoes
The Sad Cafe
Long Road Out of Eden
Do Something

Voting for Round Seven begins now.

02-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Bitter Creek

Sorry LA Eagle all votes must be registered before 8:00 p.m. on the day a round closes to be counted. Fortunately for you, the end result came out as you would have wished. :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
02-08-2015, 09:32 PM
My Man

VAisForEagleLovers
02-08-2015, 10:18 PM
My Man

Freypower
02-08-2015, 10:22 PM
After The Thrill Is Gone

GlennLover
02-09-2015, 01:07 AM
Those Shoes

Funk 50
02-09-2015, 07:00 AM
Just decided that I'm not going to vote for the same track consecutively. This round I vote for Those Shoes.

For a group that spends so much time, money and energy on making a track sound as great as possible, I could never understand the point of the double talk-box thing, until I learned that Felder was originally supposed to sing it.

When Henley took over the vocals, I suppose Felder was left with nothing to do so he just doubled Joe's talk-box track. No doubting, the talk-box guitar sounds incredible live but it's a bit overkill on the record. Always thought it'd be better with a more subtle use of the guitar effect.

Those Shoes went up in my estimation when I saw Cher performing a cover of it on TV, many years ago, even though I'm not a fan of Cher.
Even cher's version had a bit of Talk-Box, although it was a lot deeper in the mix than the Eagles version.

If The Long Run album was to have an adequate number of Frey sung tracks, Disco Strangler would definitely have to go plus, at least, one other Henley sung track, either Those Shoes, Sad Cafe or Greeks but I prefer all 3 of those to Teenage Jail.

Jonny Come Lately
02-09-2015, 08:34 AM
I disagree - I'm pretty glad that Those Shoes turned out the way it did. I'd far rather have Don Henley singing it and dual talk-boxes from Joe and Don Felder than having Felder sing it with a single talk-box. A terrific tune, one of the best on The Long Run, could have turned out like Visions, I song I don't care for apart from Felder's guitars. I mean it probably would still have been better than Visions, but not as vastly superior as it is. The dual talk-box is unique and gives the song a great sound IMO. The guitar solo itself is awesome and is in my personal top ten solos.

According to Don Felder himself, him and Joe recorded their talk-box parts live:

http://www.felderfans.com/2013/05/don-felder-answers-fan-gear-and-effects-questions/

I've no idea whether it was always intended to have twin talk-boxes, or whether this was decided on later.

Although Henley dominates The Long Run album vocally, to me he feels less dominant than on Hotel California - he only sings one of the hits, with Tim getting to sing a hit on his first album, which Randy only got on his fourth, and Glenn owns Heartache Tonight. The fourth most popular song is probably In The City - again not Henley. Henley also sings lead on two of the three widely disliked tracks (and indeed sings alone without backing vocals on The Disco Strangler) while having a co-lead on the third, Teenage Jail.

Contrast this with Hotel California - of the six songs from the album which make the 2-CD Very Best Of, five are sung by Henley and his voice is pretty audible on New Kid In Town too, so not only does he sing the most songs but he also has the most loved ones, and I can't say this for The Long Run. I personally couldn't imagine anyone else singing The Sad Cafι - I can understand why some think Glenn's voice would work on it, but it has too much of Henley's mark lyrically to feel right sung by anyone else, I think.

Yet again I will go for Ol' 55. I did give some consideration to changing my vote but while I could understand the eliminations of Too Many Hands (a song I like a lot more than most) and PMAIAR (great but not that underrated) I'm slightly disappointed that Bitter Creek went before it. That song just doesn't get enough credit, it's an excellent song which is crucial to the plot of the Desperado album and also happens to be penned by the band's most underrated songwriter. I can see why those who don't like their more acoustic folk type songs don't care for it though.

UndertheWire
02-09-2015, 09:06 AM
I didn't know Felder was going to sing Those Shoes but it makes sense. Of all the songs I've heard him sing in youtube clips, that's the one that suits his voice best.

I'm sticking with Those Shoes.

scottside
02-09-2015, 09:16 AM
"Ol' 55"

Funk 50
02-09-2015, 03:57 PM
I disagree - I'm pretty glad that Those Shoes turned out the way it did. I'd far rather have Don Henley singing it and dual talk-boxes from Joe and Don Felder than having Felder sing it with a single talk-box.

I agree JCL. I'm delighted that Henley, rather than Felder is the lead singer of Those Shoes. But if Felder was the original vocalist, (remember the Eagles originally set out to make The Long Run a double album) he couldn't play the Talk-Box and sing at the same time. So it must've started out with just Joe playing the Talk-Box.

I suppose when he performs Those Shoes live, Felder plays Walsh's solo and his second guitarist plays the parts, Felder and Walsh doubled on the Eagles track, on his own.

Lastly, as great as they were/are, Jonny Come Lately, I don't think the Eagles could predict which tracks were going to be hits before they released them. Best Of My Love is a testament to that and the fact that Lying Eyes and Take It To The limit didn't make the set list for the tour promoting One Of These Nights!

Brooke
02-09-2015, 04:57 PM
I vote for Those Shoes. It's gotten plenty of exposure on this tour. I guess I could say that about DD/Desperado Reprise, but I love it and will never vote for it to go.

I will never vote for ATTIG either! One of my all time favorites of theirs!

Freypower
02-09-2015, 05:34 PM
I agree JCL. I'm delighted that Henley, rather than Felder is the lead singer of Those Shoes. But if Felder was the original vocalist, (remember the Eagles originally set out to make The Long Run a double album) he couldn't play the Talk-Box and sing at the same time. So it must've started out with just Joe playing the Talk-Box.

I suppose when he performs Those Shoes live, Felder plays Walsh's solo and his second guitarist plays the parts, Felder and Walsh doubled on the Eagles track, on his own.

Lastly, as great as they were/are, Jonny Come Lately, I don't think the Eagles could predict which tracks were going to be hits before they released them. Best Of My Love is a testament to that and the fact that Lying Eyes and Take It To The limit didn't make the set list for the tour promoting One Of These Nights!

I'm sorry, but I find that very difficult to believe. Can you please provide a source for this statement.

I think if songs were released as singles the band had a pretty good idea most of the time if they would be hits.

sodascouts
02-09-2015, 08:22 PM
I thought Felder was supposed to sing "Victim of Love", not "Those Shoes." Where did you hear that, Funk 50?

DivineDon
02-10-2015, 07:02 AM
OL' 55

L101
02-10-2015, 01:28 PM
I can't vote for These Shoes at this point as I think the song is underrated - even if they have played it on tour!

I'm going to vote for Ol' 55 this round to try and save These Shoes

thelastresort
02-10-2015, 01:35 PM
I vote Those Shoes

L101
02-10-2015, 01:45 PM
I vote Those Shoes

What you really meant to say was you vote for Ol 55 not These Shoes :nahnah::nahnah:

sodascouts
02-10-2015, 03:16 PM
Gosh, I love both the songs that are in danger... I guess I'll just stick with my usual.

I cast my vote for Long Road out of Eden.

Funk 50
02-10-2015, 05:16 PM
I thought Felder was supposed to sing "Victim of Love", not "Those Shoes." Where did you hear that, Funk 50?

Different albums of course. I can't remember where I heard about Those Shoes. It wouldn't have been too long ago. Certainly after the Victim Of Love revelation served up during the HOTE documentary. I'm determined to find it now.

This was far easier to find:

Lying Eyes and Take It To The limit didn't make the set list for the tour promoting One Of These Nights!
I'm sorry, but I find that very difficult to believe. Can you please provide a source for this statement.

I think if songs were released as singles the band had a pretty good idea most of the time if they would be hits.

This site isn't the greatest for accuracy but I think it's proof enough the the Eagles didn't perform Lying Eyes and Take It To The Limit live in concert until Joe joined the band.

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/eagles-6bd6bede.html?tour=One+of+These+Nights

I think I've already voted in this round.

Freypower
02-10-2015, 06:39 PM
Both Lyin' Eyes & TITTL are listed in that link. The list states that they were both played seven times. Both songs were apparently played in July 1975, which is before Joe joined.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagles/1975/southern-illinois-university-edwardsville-edwardsville-il-23df409f.html

WalshFan88
02-10-2015, 06:52 PM
I must say I love the talk box A LOT in general and the effect it has on the sound. The doubling on Those Shoes makes for a killer guitar sound.

And I'm glad Henley sang it. If I had to pick, I'd rather hear Henley sing Those Shoes than VOL.

Glennsallnighter
02-10-2015, 07:40 PM
I love both 'Those Shoes' and 'Ole 55' too! Hard to decide what is next to go. Think I will go for 'My Man' this round.

zeldabjr
02-10-2015, 07:53 PM
voting for My Man

02-10-2015, 08:57 PM
Well - this is very hard because I love all these songs. But, I have to vote for the one that I think is the least underrated ...

UK TimFan
02-10-2015, 08:58 PM

02-10-2015, 09:13 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Underrated Eagles Song Survivor is Those Shoes. “Those Shoes, well, the world's so rough so you didn’t get whatever you choose, but the tribe has spoken. There must be someplace you can go because you must leave the island immediately.

Votes
Those Shoes – 6
Ol’ 55 – 4
My Man – 4
After the Thrill Is Gone – 1
The Sad Cafι – 1

Vote Breakdown
Those Shoes – GlennLover
Those Shoes – Funk 50
Those Shoes – UndertheWire
Those Shoes – Brooke
Those Shoes – thelastresort
Ol’ 55 – scottside
Ol' 55 – DevineDon
Ol’ 55 – Lacken101
My Man – WalshFan88
My Man – Glennsallnighter
My Man– zeldabjr
The Sad Cafι – UK TimFan

Songs eliminated:
Most of Us Are Sad 1/29
The Last Resort 1/31
James Dean 2/02
Too Many Hands 2/04
Bitter Creek 2/08
Those Shoes 2/10

Songs remaining:
Ol' 55
Good Day in Hell
My Man
After the Thrill Is Gone
The Sad Cafe
Long Road Out of Eden
Do Something

Voting for Round Eight begins now.

Freypower
02-10-2015, 11:14 PM
I suppose it would make sense to vote for Ol '55 but I'm sticking with After The Thrill Is Gone.

WalshFan88
02-10-2015, 11:29 PM
My Man

I'd love to save Ol '55 a little longer.

sodascouts
02-10-2015, 11:31 PM
I feel so all alone!

I cast my vote for [drumroll] Long Road Out of Eden!

VAisForEagleLovers
02-11-2015, 12:28 AM
My Man

thelastresort
02-11-2015, 09:03 AM
I vote for My Man. I love the song, especially the chorus, but something has to go. I feel awful for voting off something with my beloved steel pedal in alas.

My Man

I'd love to save Ol '55 a little longer.

Surely you mean you wish it could stay a little longer? ;)

L101
02-11-2015, 09:14 AM
I vote Ol' 55

scottside
02-11-2015, 09:26 AM
"Ol' 55"

GlennLover
02-11-2015, 09:42 AM
This is getting very difficult now! I guess I'll go with Do Something. There's something it just doesn't do for me.

Brooke
02-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Very difficult for me too!

I vote for The Sad Cafe. It's just too sad! :lol:

Funk 50
02-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Both Lyin' Eyes & TITTL are listed in that link. The list states that they were both played seven times. Both songs were apparently played in July 1975, which is before Joe joined.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagles/1975/southern-illinois-university-edwardsville-edwardsville-il-23df409f.html

If you check the set list Freypower, there are no Leadon songs but there are some Walsh songs. I reckon they played those dates in 1976. Before Hotel California but after Their Greatest Hits (1972-1975) was released. As I said, that site is full of inaccuracies. :???:

I've been reading a few Felder interviews and he said Leadon initially left before the One Of These Nights tour began and the guys had to talk him into returning for the duration of the tour.

This would explain, Leadon songs in preference to the hits and Joe being rolled out on stage in a flight case to play Rocky Mountain Way during some Eagles encores while Bernie was still in the band. They still got rave reviews.

Back to the Underrated Song Survivor. I think the harmonies on Ol' 55 and My Man are pretty special, even for the Eagles.

I'm back to voting for After The Thrill Is Gone, not really special in any way.

Desperada
02-11-2015, 05:11 PM
My Man

Jonny Come Lately
02-11-2015, 05:17 PM
If you'd told me when this game started that I'd vote for the same song five times in a row I'd have been rather surprised.

Nonetheless, once again I vote to eliminate Ol' 55. The weird thing is that in each round I've become more certain of my choice as other songs I love have fallen by the wayside. I'm particularly keen in this round to save the wonderful My Man, a song from the same album which I prefer, which seems to be in some danger in this round.

The mention of pedal steel - a sound I myself love, I should add, including on the song I've voted to eliminate - made me think about the remaining songs and interestingly quite a few of them seem to feature pedal steel - these being Ol' 55, My Man, Do Something and After The Thrill Is Gone (no credit for that one on the liner notes but I think it has pedal steel on it - doesn't it?). The only other pedal steel song included in the game was The Last Resort so this group has done well.

BBKron
02-11-2015, 06:48 PM
Ahhh! I had to go away for a few days (on business), and now I come back to find that one of my very favorite Eagles song, the vastly underrated Bitter Creek has already been voted off in my absence. Now, although I knew that it was not going to make it to the end (because numerous people have said they just don't see it's appeal), I certainly thought it would go very far, because it is just so underrated. Anyway, I also know that I probably would not have been able to save it regardless, but at least I could have put in some good words and support for it, as to why it is awesome and highly underrated. And worse, nobody else stood up for it when it was being threatened.

OK, so I know it is too late to matter, but I feel compelled to say a few words about Bitter Creek anyway. Although it is difficult to try to summarize why I think this song is so great, and perhaps why it is so underrated, especially in just a few sentences, but I will try to make a few points. First, it is a great all-acoustic song, perhaps one of the all-time great acoustic guitar songs, with great guitar work throughout (really cool rhythms, phrasing, fills, and detail work, unique and fascinating chord changes, and phenomenal lead soloing during bridge and fade-out sections), which is really some of the best guitar playing in all the Eagles records. I guess it doesn't get noticed much because 1) it's acoustic guitar and not electric, and so not as flashy and up-front, and 2) unfortunately, a lot of the soloing is quietly buried in the mix, so it is more in the background (only starts to be more prominent as song fades out), but it is truly great stuff. Second, the song itself just has a really cool vibe, style, and feel to it (sultry?,spooky?,sinister?) that is unlike anything else they've ever done (starting with that very first guitar chord - it just sends shivers through you, and the clever use of harmonics in the third verse - electrifying). Third, the subject matter and tone, and crucial importance to the Desperado song cycle, are brilliant. Now, it is true that outside of the context of the Desperado 'story', the song may lose some of its lyrical meaning and power, but as a piece of the story of the rise and downfall of the Desperado protagonist, it is just brilliant. In this song, although inwardly he probably knows by now that his life as an outlaw hasn't worked out as planned, leading to frustration, anger, bitterness, and regret, he still stubbornly hangs on to his arrogance and bravado that he will win in the end with one last big score (But, of course we know that he won't). It is the perfect lead-in to the culmination that is the Doolin' Dalton/Desperado Reprise. In fact, I always listen to these songs together. You almost can't listen to Bitter Creek without following it up with DD/DR. They just flow together and complete the story so perfectly. Just as DD/DR is the glorious culmination of the whole Desperado album, it is the perfect continuation and culmination of Bitter Creek the song (as we find out the fate of that arrogant, misguided, but somewhat sympathetic desperado). Anyway, sorry to go on, but really, that's just scratching the surface of this amazing song. I know that everyone has their own tastes and styles, but I am just baffled when some say that the song does nothing for them. It is sensational from start to finish, and certainly, to me, the most underrated song.

I'll get back to the game in another post, but right now I have to listen to BC - DD/DR a few more times.

Freypower
02-11-2015, 07:04 PM
I like the song until the repetitive 'doo doo doo' stuff at the end which to me takes all the momentum out of it. I feel there should not have been any vocals in that part of the song.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Actually, BBKron, while I wouldn't rate it as highly as you do, I do like Bitter Creek. There's a whole lot of others on this list that I would vote off before Bitter Creek, but alas, others don't seem to feel the same way.

UndertheWire
02-11-2015, 07:07 PM
I vote for Long Road Out of Eden.

I hoped Bitter Creek would last longer.

BBKron
02-11-2015, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Freypower

Originally Posted by Funk 50
Lying Eyes and Take It To The limit didn't make the set list for the tour promoting One Of These Nights!

Just a few other comments regarding discussions while I was away: regarding the exchange between Funk50 and Freypower and the absence of LE and TITTL during the first part of the OOTN tour, Funk50 is right, as far as we know from the info available. Sadly, there are relatively few setlists that are positively known from the earlier Eagles years (through surviving recordings), but from what we do know, neither LE or TITTL were added to the setlist until 1976 (the one listing from july 1975 on setlist.fm is erroneous and inconsistent with known sources). The early (1975) OOTN shows generally only included OOTN and Journey of the Sorcerer from the album, and then Too Many Hands was added, and Journey later dropped. Actually, the early OOTN tour setlist was not mush different from the OTB tour setlist, with only those couple changes. LE and TITTL were only added in the 1976 leg of the tour, with Joe Walsh now a member, in which several other changes were made, in dropping Bernie's songs, and adding Joe's. But this was nothing new for the Eagles, as they often did not add their 'hits' to their shows until well after they became hits. It was the same for Best of My Love, and even for New Kid in Town and Life in the Fast Lane. The early Hotel California shows only included HC and Wasted Time from the album. It wasn't until much later that NKIT, LITFL and also VOL were added, after they had become hits receiving much radio airplay. This is verified by the available concert setlist data we have from surviving recordings.

UK TimFan
02-11-2015, 08:22 PM
And worse, nobody else stood up for it when it was being threatened.
Bitter Creek is one of my two favourite Eagles songs, but I couldn't stand up for it
(a) because I can't express myself as eloquently as you and some of the other FMs and
(b)
because numerous people have said they just don't see it's appeal so I knew that I'd be fighting a losing battle. :smile:

I have to say that I was surprised that it lasted as long as it did. I quite expected it to be voted off first or second.

(Though in spite of loving it so much, I do think that the doo-doo-doo at the end would be better by being about thirty seconds shorter. Or else the guitar/instrumental bit right at the end being slightly more prominent.)

Glennsallnighter
02-12-2015, 12:27 PM
My Man again this round.

BBKron
02-12-2015, 04:03 PM
I like the song until the repetitive 'doo doo doo' stuff at the end which to me takes all the momentum out of it. I feel there should not have been any vocals in that part of the song.

I have to say that I was surprised that it lasted as long as it did. I quite expected it to be voted off first or second.

(Though in spite of loving it so much, I do think that the doo-doo-doo at the end would be better by being about thirty seconds shorter. Or else the guitar/instrumental bit right at the end being slightly more prominent.)

Regarding the 'repetitive' last part of Bitter Creek, obviously I don't agree. I love the vocal 'oohs' and harmonies here, and to me it just sets the anticipation for the searing acoustic guitar solo the comes in at the end. And, to me, the song is the perfect length (actually the guitar solo at end is just too short, Bernie just seems to be getting going, when the song fades out). However, I do agree that the vocal part goes on too long before the guitar solo comes in (or at least until it can be heard, as it fades in gradually). The vocals go 3 full times through the refrain (about 54 sec.) before the guitar part can just be heard emerging, then the bristling guitar licks go for 2 more times through (4th & 5th X - giving guitar solo only about 36 sec.), as it slowly becomes louder, but doesn't become truly prominent until just before the fadeout. I think it would have been much more effective to have the scorching guitar solo come in full strength on the 3rd time through (or if wanted to use the slow build, then start on the 2nd time through). This would not only have given more time (and prominence) for the great guitar picking heard at the end, but would also have reduced the feeling of repetitiveness that many seem to have an issue with. But that is my only criticism of this stellar song (for me, I could listen to this vibe go on all day), more guitar virtuosity, less vocals at end.

As for this song not being expected to make it far in the competition, I thought that this was the one competition that it did have a chance of doing well at, that of being most underrated. Oh well, that's just the way it goes.

BBKron
02-12-2015, 04:30 PM
Ok now, back to the game:

Unfortunately, it looks like 2 more of my favored choices are in danger this round, My Man and Ol' 55. My Man is the last remnant of Bernie left, and as many have indicated, it is their favorite Bernie song (mine, of course was BC, then Train). If the presence of Bernie in the the band isn't underrated these days, I don't know what is. Please do not vote off My Man just yet.

By my reckoning DDDR, MM, O55, and GDIH are the most underrated songs remaining. I will not choose among the songs I want to keep just to try to keep one of the others (My Man) around longer. So, that leaves ATTIG, LROOE, DS, and TSC as candidates for elimination. I could argue that ATTIG is not really that underrated, as it was included on the Greatest Hits Vol. 2 album, is one of the most-liked songs on OOTN, and is often used as an argument for why (after the hits) OOTN is actually a pretty strong album. However, despite those reasons that it is not so underrated, there are just too many people who adore the song that it just would not be able to be voted off at this point, so I won't use my vote for it yet (maybe next round). So, it's between The Sad Cafe and the 2 LROOE songs. I would have thought Those Shoes would have lasted longer than Sad Cafe, of the LR songs, so Sad Cafe is a good candidate, but again, I don't think it has a chance for this round. I can understand Soda's arguments against LROOE. I like the song, but it is not as strong as Do Something, and although interesting as a more lengthy meditation, it is not something that you want to listen to all the time, so I can get behind that it is not as underrated as others here.

I vote to eliminate Long Road Out of Eden.

zeldabjr
02-12-2015, 05:47 PM
voting for My Man

Jonny Come Lately
02-12-2015, 07:00 PM
I have previously mentioned that I have been pleasantly surprised by how long The Sad Cafι has remained in the game for, same goes for Long Road Out Of Eden which I kind of expected to go out within the first 3-4 rounds yet until recently Soda has generally been alone in voting to eliminate it. I can understand why people don't necessarily want to listen to it every day but I think it is a very powerful song. Whether being a Pink Floyd fan makes any difference here I'm not sure, maybe it does mean I can enjoy long, rather dark and serious songs more than most.

BBKron has described what makes Bitter Creek great far better than I ever could. I love the outro, and in particular the guitar playing. I agree that acoustic guitar solos can be great too, with BC being a fine example of this. I think it's inevitable that they rarely get the attention of the more obviously spectacular electric ones though.

shunlvswx
02-12-2015, 07:46 PM
I vote for My Man. I want to keep Ol' 55 a little bit longer.

UK TimFan
02-12-2015, 08:08 PM
If anyone wants to save 'My man', then four votes are needed for it to tie with 'Ol 55' in this round. On countback, 'Ol 55' will be eliminated.
I'm happy to join a coalition and vote for 'Ol 55'.
In the meantime, I'm withholding my vote.

02-12-2015, 08:57 PM
So far, this game has gone about like I had thought it would. Minor surprises to me are that The Last Resort and James Dean went down earlier than I thought they would. I think Bitter Creek is a really good song, but not a great one. I like it a lot, and my personal feeling is that it had a very respectable run and finished about where I suspected it would. I definitely would have liked to see My Man stick around longer -I figured it may have made the top five, but it was not to be. I would vote for Ol' 55 to save My Man if I thought we could have gotten enough votes to tie, but now I'll look to the future ...

I cast my vote for Do Something.

UK TimFan
02-12-2015, 08:58 PM

02-12-2015, 09:09 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Underrated Eagles Song Survivor is My Man. “My Man, the tribe has spoken and that ole hickory wind has called you home. You must leave the island immediately, and those who must remain will keep spinning their wheels just the same.

Votes
My Man – 7
Ol’ 55 – 3
Long Road Out of Eden – 3
Do Something – 2
The Sad Cafι – 2

Vote Breakdown
My Man – WalshFan88
My Man – thelastresort
My Man – Desperada
My Man – Glennsallnighter
My Man– zeldabjr
My Man – shunlvswx
Ol’ 55 – Lacken101
Ol’ 55 – scottside
Long Road Out of Eden – BBKron
After the Thrill Is Gone – Funk 50
Do Something – GlennLover
Do Something – Ive always been a dreamer
The Sad Cafι – Brooke
The Sad Cafι – UK TimFan

Songs eliminated:
Most of Us Are Sad 1/29
The Last Resort 1/31
James Dean 2/02
Too Many Hands 2/04
Bitter Creek 2/08
Those Shoes 2/10
My Man 2/12

Songs remaining:
Ol' 55
Good Day in Hell
After the Thrill Is Gone
The Sad Cafe
Long Road Out of Eden
Do Something

Voting for Round Nine begins now.

Freypower
02-12-2015, 10:15 PM
I am sticking with After The Thrill Is Gone. I don't know why I don't think it's as great as everyone else seems to, but I just don't.

WalshFan88
02-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Long Road Out Of Eden

GlennLover
02-12-2015, 11:43 PM
Do Something

DivineDon
02-13-2015, 06:58 AM
Shoot, somehow I forgot to vote in the last round :brickwall:

Anyway, here we go again, OL' 55

scottside
02-13-2015, 09:35 AM
"Ol' 55."

Brooke
02-13-2015, 11:42 AM
The Sad Cafe

VAisForEagleLovers
02-13-2015, 12:04 PM
Ol' 55

Funk 50
02-13-2015, 01:51 PM
As I've given, After The Thrill Is Gone immunity, (I voted for it in the last round) I have a choice to make. It's either Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise or Do Something.

I love the bridge (Run away....) in Do Something, I think it's up there with the finest music the eagles have created but taking the whole song, I don't like words, I don't like the sentiment or Tim's delivery, the (non) tempo or the M.O.R. country music arrangement.

How can a country ballad musically' have a "get off your arse and Do Something" lyric. I wince at the line "I pick up the morning paper, all the news is bad", it's awfulness drags the song down even more. My... I wonder why I haven't voted for it sooner!

The issue I have with Doolin-Dalton/Desperado reprise is that, I don't see it as a proper song. As I've said before, I first heard this track, as it was originally performed, live during the 70s, as part of an extended piece that began with the album opening, Doolin-Dalton track. I feel like I've missed half (probably more like a third) of the track when Don sings "Well the stage was set...".

Almost unbelievably for the Eagles, I don't like the backing vocals on Doolin-Dalton. Fabulous on Desperado reprise, unwanted on Doolin-Dalton. They are different songs aren't they? Enjoyable track otherwise.

This round I vote for Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise :shrug:

BBKron
02-13-2015, 06:26 PM
For me, once again this round it is between LROOE and TSC. And again, I have to say that LROOE is less underrated than TSC.

So I vote for Long Road Out of Eden to take the short road out of this survivor game.

Jonny Come Lately
02-14-2015, 11:38 AM
I decided to wait before submitting my vote for this round but I think I'll go, yet again, for Ol'55. I did consider changing my vote but I think it will probably go this time round, and I wouldn't want to leave songs I love dearly like the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise or The Sad Cafι at greater risk of elimination by changing my vote now.

I was tempted to vote for Do Something though - as much as I like it, I don't think it would be as worthy a winner as most of the others remaining.

UndertheWire
02-14-2015, 12:00 PM
Long Road Out of Eden

Glennsallnighter
02-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Do Something,

Funk 50
02-14-2015, 01:57 PM
This'll get a bit tedious if everybody gives one line answers :sigh:

thelastresort
02-14-2015, 02:12 PM
Do Something

Second line added to appease Funk 50

Funk 50
02-14-2015, 02:25 PM
Do Something

L101
02-14-2015, 03:57 PM
I'm going to vote for Ol' 55 this round as the sooner this goes, the sooner I can get back to voting for Good day in Hell to go :hmm:

02-14-2015, 04:23 PM

lol tlr. Yep - we gotta remember, some folks just aren't interested in the discussion. They just want to vote.

Desperada
02-14-2015, 07:29 PM
After the Thrill is Gone

UK TimFan
02-14-2015, 07:59 PM
lol tlr. Yep - we gotta remember, some folks just aren't interested in the discussion. They just want to vote.
I'll admit that my 'contribution' to the Survivor threads is usually just my vote.
Though I do read all the posts, I normally feel unable to add to any discussion. Continually reading/saying 'I agree with abc' or I disagree with xyz' without any further comment added would be even more tedious than noting that someone's 'only' voted. :smile:

zeldabjr
02-14-2015, 08:09 PM
I vote for Good Day in Hell

UK TimFan
02-14-2015, 08:58 PM

02-14-2015, 11:04 PM
Hey all - Just wanted everyone to know that I lost my power tonight around 7:30 and am unable to post the results of the last round. I am only on temporarily online and will post the results as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.

02-15-2015, 01:21 AM
The next song to be eliminated in the Underrated Eagles Song Survivor is Ol’ 55. “OL’ 55, I know you wish you’d stayed a little longer, but the tribe has spoken. Now, be on your way, hitch a ride with Lady Luck, and hit the freeway because you must leave the island immediately.

Votes
Ol' 55 – 5
Long Road Out of Eden – 3
Do Something – 3
The Sad Cafι – 2
Good Day In Hell – 1

Vote Breakdown
Ol' 55 – DevineDon
Ol’ 55 – scottside
Ol’ 55 – VAisForEagleLovers
O' 55 – Lacken101
Long Road Out of Eden – WalshFan88
Long Road Out of Eden – BBKron
Do Something – GlennLover
Do Something – Glennsallnighter
Do Something – thelastresort
After the Thrill Is Gone – Desperada
The Sad Cafι – Brooke
The Sad Cafι – UK TimFan
Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise – Funk 50
Good Day In Hell – zeldabjr

Songs eliminated:
Most of Us Are Sad 1/29
The Last Resort 1/31
James Dean 2/02
Too Many Hands 2/04
Bitter Creek 2/08
Those Shoes 2/10
My Man 2/12
Ol' 55 2/14

Songs remaining:
Good Day in Hell
After the Thrill Is Gone
The Sad Cafe
Long Road Out of Eden
Do Something

Voting for Round Ten begins now.

02-15-2015, 01:27 AM
I apologize once again for the delay in posting the results. Even though they were a little late, we will still with our regular schedule and end this round on Monday, 2/16 at 8:00 p.m. EST.

Jonny Come Lately
02-15-2015, 04:30 AM
I'm not absolutely certain but I think the round that has just gone past was the first where all of the remaining songs received at least one vote. I'm fairly sure it will have been but I haven't checked over the previous rounds. Just an observation.

I'll come back later with my choice for this round.

thelastresort
02-15-2015, 08:39 AM
That would be correct JCL, not one vote for Good Day in Hell whatsoever before the last round.

I vote for Do Something

L101
02-15-2015, 08:54 AM
That would be correct JCL, not one vote for Good Day in Hell whatsoever before the last round.

I vote for Do Something

If you look back you'll see that I voted for Good Day in Hell in round 6!
I stopped voting for it because it seemed like a wasted vote at the time but its definitely back on now.

I vote for Good Day in Hell

DivineDon
02-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I think I'll have to go for Good Day in Hell. It's not bad but I don't think it's as deserving to stay as the others left.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Same here, Good Day in Hell.

scottside
02-15-2015, 01:37 PM
I vote for "Do Something." It's a good song, well sung, but just too slick for my tastes.

Funk 50
02-15-2015, 02:38 PM
Since HFO the Eagles have performed, pretty much a greatest hits set list at every concert. The current tour probably has the most hits they've ever played.

It's hard to believe that In The City and The Long Run weren't performed on the Hell Freezes Over Tour. Peaceful Easy Feeling was only added as a replacement for The Girl From Yesterday.

This tour, with the addition of Bernie to the line up, Saturday Night, Train Leaves Here This Morning, Doolin-Dalton and Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise become the latest, non hit tracks to return to a post resumption set list.

If the Eagles decide to dig even deeper into their 70s archives, I'd hope that they'd go for Good Day In Hell, along with Outlaw Man and King Of Hollywood. Journey Of The Sorcerer, if Bernie's involved.

I think Good Day In Hell and Outlaw Man are two of the best Eagles Pre-Joe rockers and Good Day In Hell has the bonus of a shared lead vocal.

"I pick up the morning paper, all the news is bad"

My choice for this round is Do Something

WalshFan88
02-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Do Something

thelastresort
02-15-2015, 04:56 PM
I do love how Do Something features the line 'I pick up the morning paper, and all the news is bad', when one of the song's three writers goes to great levels slating journalism for misrepresenting just about everything :lol:

Freypower
02-15-2015, 06:00 PM
I love Do Something & it was my choice to reach the final. I have no problem with the 'all the news is bad' part. I feel that way all the time.

I appear to be getting nowhere by voting for After The Thrill Is Gone except it's reinforcing to me how much other people love the song. Unfortunately I don't love it. Therefore I have to vote for it again.

shunlvswx
02-15-2015, 06:19 PM
I love Do Something. One of favorites of Timothy. Heck I love both of Timothy's songs on LROOE.

I vote for Good Day in Hell.

UndertheWire
02-15-2015, 06:22 PM
Long Road Out of Eden

GlennLover
02-15-2015, 06:30 PM
I vote Do Something again, for the reason s I cited before. I love GDIH!

Jonny Come Lately
02-15-2015, 07:07 PM
I do love how Do Something features the line 'I pick up the morning paper, and all the news is bad', when one of the song's three writers goes to great levels slating journalism for misrepresenting just about everything :lol:

I can only guess you're talking about Tim, it couldn't possibly be Don 'journalism dead and gone' Henley could it? Next thing you'll be saying that Henley wrote Dirty Laundry. :)

In all seriousness, I think it was a good idea to give Tim the lead vocal on the majority of the song because I see it as an encouraging song and having him sing that kind of song seems more right than it would with Don. Nightingale is the song I probably care for least on the debut album and I think it's because Don seems out of character - it does suit his voice, but having him sing about not caring about the contents of the morning paper seems weird. It would be interesting to see how he feels about that song now!

I really like Do Something, but out of the half dozen songs remaining it is the one I rate least highly. It would make my top ten songs from LROOE and would definitely make any single disc version of the album, but all of the others are among my absolute favourites. I love Good Day In Hell, and agree with Funk 50 that it's one of their very best earlier rockers. It's also in my top three songs from On The Border and IMO there's no reason why that song couldn't have become a classic rock staple, it's just all round great to me. Of the others, I love the epic journey of Long Road Out Of Eden, The Sad Cafι has always been my favourite from The Long Run, I think ATTIG is every bit as good as the big three hits from the OOTN album and the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise is to my mind a magnificent conclusion to a magnificent record. Voting over the next few rounds promises not to be easy, that's for sure.

Therefore, I vote for Do Something.

02-15-2015, 07:20 PM
Well said, JCL - I completely agree!

I also think Good Day In Hell is great song musically and lyrically. It is one of Don and Glenn's earliest rockers that they co-wrote and it is raw and sexy, and, yes, very underrated, IMO. I love the rockin' music and Felder's debut guitar work, as well as, Don and Glenn's shared lead vocals. And, oh, did I say the song rocks! :headbang:

And FP - As far as ATTIG, I don't know what to say other than I'm always shocked that you don't love this song. To me, it is a precursor to New Kid In Town and, actually, the entire Hotel California album. I think it is near perfection - awesome lyrics, music, vocals, harmonies, and arrangement. IMO, it is definitely up near the top with their best songs, and most definitely never got the recognition it deserves.

GlennLover
02-16-2015, 12:37 AM

I also think Good Day In Hell is great song musically and lyrically. It is one of Don and Glenn's earliest rockers that they co-wrote and it is raw and sexy, and, yes, very underrated, IMO. I love the rockin' music and Felder's debut guitar work, as well as, Don and Glenn's shared lead vocals. And, oh, did I say the song rocks! :headbang:

And FP - As far as ATTIG, I don't know what to say other than I'm always shocked that you don't love this song. To me, it is a precursor to New Kid In Town and, actually, the entire Hotel California album. I think it is near perfection - awesome lyrics, music, vocals, harmonies, and arrangement. IMO, it is definitely up near the top with their best songs, and most definitely never got the recognition it deserves.

Well said, Dreamer! I totally agree with you ! Yes, GDIH rocks! And I am particularly impressed with the lyrics (and the vocals and the guitar solos) of ATTIG.

Brooke
02-16-2015, 11:45 AM

I also agree with you completely on this, Dreamer!

I will, again, vote for The Sad Cafe for what good it will do.

LA Eagle
02-16-2015, 12:52 PM
Good day in hell