PDA

View Full Version : Macedon, AUS at Hanging Rock - 28 Feb. 2015

VAisForEagleLovers
02-28-2015, 07:36 AM
Reading tweets that there was a big storm during the concert, and it was an outdoor concert. What a shame. There was lightning, and so they had to stop for a while. Some said they stopped after the 4th song. Also read that one of the screens nearly fell down due to the wind.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/HOTE/Australia/Macedon/crowd%20shot_zpsy0zflstg.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/HOTE/Australia/Macedon/weather%20map_zpsl7ejhcf9.jpg

VAisForEagleLovers
02-28-2015, 09:23 AM
I put this in the Australia/New Zealand tour thread, but now I realize that Kasey was the opening act! Her father is the man on the right.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/HOTE/Australia/Joe%20Kasey%20Chambers_zpsb342f6fd.jpg

VAisForEagleLovers
02-28-2015, 11:23 AM
A long range view of the concert area, the stage looks rather tiny from this distance!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/HOTE/Australia/Macedon/long%20range%20view_zpsrfitvu1j.jpg

zeldabjr
02-28-2015, 03:30 PM
what a beautiful place!! how awful there was a storm during the concert...and no shelter for the people...hope it didn't last too long!...

UndertheWire
02-28-2015, 04:05 PM
I hope noone disappeared.

Freypower
02-28-2015, 05:18 PM
If anyone has heard of the film Picnic At Hanging Rock, this is where the (fictional) events took place.

TimFan222
02-28-2015, 09:05 PM
I wonder if they did the HOTE show. Seems the outside shows in other countries were a different show. Can anyone tell us?

VAisForEagleLovers
02-28-2015, 09:09 PM
Usually I can tell by the length of time a concert is, and I see the ones before the concert starts and when it ends. With the delay, it was impossible to tell. Even if they had intended to do the full HOTE show, they may not have due to the delay.

I did see a lot of tweets from unhappy people that 1.5 hours after the end of the concert they were still sitting on a road and not moving. Very similar to the tweets I saw at the end of the Bethel, NY concert.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-28-2015, 09:21 PM
This was posted from a guy who didn't like the concert at all and thought the lightning was the best part (apparently they closed the bar early).

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/HOTE/Australia/Macedon/lightning_zpsfvppkmco.jpg

Hanging Rock
02-28-2015, 11:41 PM
The Concert was memorable, that's for sure. The opening acts did their sets including Kasey and her father (pictured with Joe above).

The Eagles set began with the HOTE show. Up behind them, the clouds were rolling in and the lightning was putting on a display as well. The weather was still from the NE so I was not that worried. Introductions and great songs but the crowd was ooing and ahing at the lightning. I don't think the guys on stage were aware of what was happening behind them. Then with the whole group on stage and Don on drums, the wind changed direction and started from the south west. The alignment of the stage was to the north of the crowd.

The change came through like a jet plane. The big screen on the left of the stage broke it's lower moorings and started floating out over the audience. The road cases on the left started to fly across stage taking out the panel operators. Don looked up and saw the big projector screen on the back wall floating above him.

The Eagles ran. It was bucketing down and tarps were flying through the air.
I found out later that Melbourne Airport recorded wind gusts of 122kph (75mph). The audience started getting up and evacuating too. I was about 50 metres from the stage and their were no cables etc near me so I stayed were I was. The onslaught lasted about ten minutes and then degenerated into just a storm and rain.

I don't know how long it was but the announcements came over that the band wanted to come back on but the stage need to be assessed. Water was everywhere. The left big screen was done for the night. The back screen was an unknown at this stage and the left speakers had problems. There was water everywhere and gear thrown about.

The roadies worked like the heroes they are and after about 40 minutes the band were back onstage. The back screen was working and now did the job of the left dead screen. The panel operators were having trouble with the sound and Joe Walsh did not appreciate the feedback he copped when he started singing. But the problems were short lived. Glen said that they were going to play until the end with no intermission, so the HOTE show was over. It became the guys doing what they do best and playing music.

My impression was the HOTE show was very choreographed and lacked emotion from what I saw. The unplanned interruption and the decision to just play the songs let the personalities become less restricted. The rain never let up all night and I think the guys appreciated the effort of the audience to stick it out. Joe came out of his shell a bit and seemed to enjoy himself. Timothy really seemed to put in effort. Don and Glen just were great performers. Bernie wasn't on stage enough.

I can't say if the set list changed as I hadn't been to any of the other shows. However, I don't think any of the other shows enjoyed Rock Mountain Way. We did. In the single encore! As Glen and Don were leaving the stage before the encore, they hesitated and started talking. I was wondering whether they were deciding to leave the stage or just keep going.

All in all; a great show by fantastic musicians doing what they must love to work in those conditions! And a very memorable concert!!

And it did take a long time to get away from the venue. So what! I had just seen the Eagles do a concert I am sure they will remember too! I think even Joe will remember this one. :thumbsup:

shunlvswx
02-28-2015, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the recap, Hanging Rock. It sounds like Christchurch all over again but 20 years later. I'm glad the guys continued and I'm so glad they are still in one piece.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-01-2015, 01:13 AM
Thank you for the review, Hanging Rock! Sounds like an interesting concert! 75 mph winds are nothing to fool with, they're lucky there wasn't more damage or people hurt. Glad you had a good time anyway.

For your reference, here is the setlist for all the other HOTE shows, although the outdoor shows at some venues has been a shortened list. You can see how it compares to your show.

Saturday Night
Train Leaves Here This Morning
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Witchy Woman
Doolin Dalton
Tequila Sunrise
Doolin Dalton / Desperado Reprise
Already Gone
Best of My Love
Lyin' Eyes
One Of These Nights
Take It To The Limit

intermission

Wasted Time Reprise
Pretty Maids All In a Row
I Can't Tell You Why
New Kid In Town
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Heartache Tonight
Those Shoes
In The City
Life's Been Good
The Long Run
Funk #49
Life In the Fast Lane

1st encore
Hotel CA

2nd encore
Take It Easy
Rocky Mountain Way
Desperado

UndertheWire
03-01-2015, 05:56 AM
That review brought it to life. It sounds like a show everyone's going to remember for a long time.

Meanwhile, here's a brief writeup with a set list. Maybe they'll add a fuller description later.

http://www.noise11.com/news/heavens-open-instead-of-hell-freezing-for-eagles-hanging-rock-20150301

bluefeather
03-01-2015, 07:14 AM
certainly a gig to remember, thanks for the review hanging rock!
must have been a scary and maybe a bit exciting event :partytime:

TimFan222
03-01-2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info hanging rock. Only True Eagles fans would sit in rain to hear them. I know I would! Glad the boys are ok too.

Ive always been a dreamer
03-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Welcome from me too, Hanging Rock and thanks for the review. Well, it looks like it was an eventful show for sure. I'm glad the band managed to get through the entire set list and kudos to the fans who braved the elements and hung in there for the duration. Hopefully, they are glad they did.

WalshFan88
03-01-2015, 05:35 PM
I'm glad the stage didn't collapse. That happened to Cheap Trick a couple years ago yet the whole band was ok but lost a lot of equipment. Unfortunately at a Sugarland concert also a few years ago the stage came down and killed a few people.

MaryCalifornia
03-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Welcome, Hanging Rock, and thank you for the review.

Like Shun said, it definitely calls to mind the Christchurch show! We would only be too lucky to see video of this show, too.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-01-2015, 09:59 PM
Pictures!!!

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2914419/one-of-those-crazy-old-nights-at-hanging-rock-photos/

Freypower
03-01-2015, 10:16 PM
Nice, although Glenn wasn't exactly prominent. Tim can wear that purple tshirt tonight for me. It looked as if Will does have a beard, yet I'm sure EK said he was clean shaven. I guess I will find out in about 7 hours.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-02-2015, 08:19 AM
OK, five hours before the concert starts is totally ridiculous. There had to have been a miscommunication there somewhere!

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/security-guards-warn-no-photos-at-eagles-concert-in-hanging-rock-20150302-13syhy.html

zeldabjr
03-02-2015, 10:44 AM
OK, five hours before the concert starts is totally ridiculous. There had to have been a miscommunication there somewhere!

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/security-guards-warn-no-photos-at-eagles-concert-in-hanging-rock-20150302-13syhy.html

I sure hope there was some miscommunication here...but even so...people are going to associate this with the Eagles...and it doesn't look good...if I were there and wanted to take pics of the place and was told no 5 hours before the concert..I would flip out I think...

GlennLover
03-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Another case of over zealous security?

Glennsallnighter
03-02-2015, 12:59 PM
It appears to be so! But Kudos to our guys for coming back out to play after the deluge that the reviews have described. Sounds that weather not withstanding a good night was had by all!

Brooke
03-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Wow, I'm glad everyone was ok! Can you imagine looking up and seeing a huge screen flying above you and thinking it could crash down at any second?!

And, no pics five hours before show time? Ridiculous! Surely security misunderstood!

Funk 50
03-02-2015, 05:39 PM
I think it's better 5 hours before the show than during the show when everybody thinks they'll get away with rudely ignoring the band's request.

I'm pleased the confrontation caused a spectacle before the show rather than a series of annoying distractions during it.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-05-2015, 01:32 PM
This supporting act (Melody Pool) impressed Don, at least.

http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story/2925042/melody-pool-impresses-eagles/

StephUK
03-14-2015, 10:13 PM
Photos - don't think this has been posted before:-

http://www.macedonranges.starweekly.com.au/story/1833330/the-eagles-at-hanging-rock-gallery/

sodascouts
03-15-2015, 12:05 AM
Thanks!

Glennsallnighter
03-15-2015, 05:14 AM
Thanks Steph! They are great close up pics. Did anyone see that there was an article to the left hand side of the pics called 'Life in the fast lane'. It was about cars!! lol!