PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of Eagles-Their Greatest Hits 71-75

Brooke
03-13-2015, 01:38 PM
I figured there was already a thread for this, but I couldn't find it, so if anyone doesn't think this is a relevant thread, just delete!

Their Greatest Hits 71-75 made it to #1 on the Billboard charts 39 years ago today!

I for one always loved this album and it's certainly stood the test of time! I love every song! Of course, that's what they are-great hits! If I just wanted to listen to the hits, this was my go-to!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Eagles/greatesthits_zps3lljop9w.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/desperado74/media/Eagles/greatesthits_zps3lljop9w.jpg.html)

Take It Easy
Witchy Woman
Lyin' Eyes
Already Gone
Desperado
One of These Nights
Tequila Sunrise
Take It to the Limit
Peaceful Easy Feeling
The Best of My Love

I'll say it again, LOVE! :heart:

DJ
03-13-2015, 02:06 PM
Cannot believe it's been that long I don't feel that old! Ha! Wonderful album play it almost daily. TGFTE (Thank God For The Eagles). Couldn't get through my day without them. :partytime:

VAisForEagleLovers
03-13-2015, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the reminder, Brooke!!

Ive always been a dreamer
03-14-2015, 02:02 PM
A little late to the party, but thanks from me too, Brooke.

And :cheers: to the best-selling album of the 20th century!!!

sodascouts
03-17-2015, 09:40 PM
I love how someone - I think Irving Azoff - says in the documentary something like "And since the 20th century is now over, no one can ever take that title away!"

shunlvswx
02-17-2016, 11:30 AM
I couldn't the actual thread on the anniversary. I found this.

Happy 40th Birthday to Their Greatest Hits 71-75 album.

Outlawman13
02-17-2016, 01:52 PM
Happy birthday to the Greatest Hits and one of the best selling albums ever!!!!!! Wow 40 years ago today!!

AlreadyGone95
02-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Happy 40th anniversary to the best selling album!

LuvTim
02-17-2016, 02:45 PM
:heart::heart::heart::heart:

buffyfan145
02-17-2016, 05:15 PM
That's the album that started it all for me!!! :D That and their 2nd Greatest Hits album. I loved all the songs too and this was one we always made sure was in our collection to take on family road trips.

02-17-2016, 07:29 PM
Congrats to the best-selling album of the 20th century!!!

You guys know that question that everyone ponders at one time or another, "If I were on a deserted island and could only listen to one album for the rest of my life, which would it be?" I bet a lot of people would choose this one. (I would, too.)

Well, if the rules allow a box set, I'll go with mine that includes all of their 70's studio albums, plus Eagles Live and Please Come Home for Christmas. :wink: :grin:

NOLA
02-17-2016, 09:19 PM
Happy 40th anniversary to this record-breaking compilation! :thumbsup:
In the HOTE doc, Irving looked like a proud papa when he displayed the small plaque from his office for the album's achievement. :)

02-17-2016, 09:21 PM
RS - I searched the 'Singing for the Sake of the Song' forum and couldn't find anything. Feel free to start a thread there if you want.

However, we do have an thread for the Top 20 Desert Island Eagles Songs ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3332&highlight=desert+island

Brooke
02-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Love, love this album! For 40 years! It'll definitely go to that desert island with me too!

Jonny Come Lately
02-18-2016, 01:37 PM
Happy 40th birthday to one of the best compilation albums ever released! There are plenty of 'Best of' and 'Greatest Hits' albums which contain a lot of great songs, but this one I find is relatively unusual in that the sequence actually makes some sense rather than just being a load of hits thrown together. I think this is because in many cases the songs are in the same positions they were in on the original albums (e.g. Take It Easy first, and Best Of My Love last). I don't actually own it myself, but I've listened to the songs from this record in sequence quite a few times and I've always enjoyed doing that.

Hey, Dreamer, have you guys ever had that thread on this board? "Top 10 Albums You Would Take To a Deserted Island"

Dreamer is correct in saying that there has never been a bespoke thread on this topic although there are a few threads that have covered similar territory. The 'Listography' thread would be a good place to post such a list, and indeed having just checked there was a 'Twenty albums you'd take on a Spaceship' list several years before I joined:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=109775&highlight=twenty+albums#post109775

Another thread that might be of interest is the relatively recent Top 100 albums topic - the title does say '100' but I don't think anyone would mind if you only wanted to name 10 or 20 albums (I myself did a Top 50 as found I could do 50 albums easily but my collection isn't big enough to justify 100, there's a drop off in quality after about number 60 in my list).

Less directly relevant (although still interesting) is the 'Share the Music You Love' thread, which has some posts about Borderers' top 10 desert island bands, again here's a link to the relevant page:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=168253&highlight=desert+island#post168253

Hope this helps!

UndertheWire
02-18-2016, 02:19 PM
When this came out, I couldn't see the point of it. Why would you buy a greatest hits album when all the tracks were on the earlier albums (which I already owned)? I've never owned a copy nor known anyone who did.

02-18-2016, 02:30 PM
UTW - I guess there were lots of folks who didn't own the previous albums that just wanted the hits. Obviously, it struck a chord with a lot of people. I actually owned all the albums and still bought this one too. Why? Who knows - maybe for the cover art? :wink: :grin:

Brooke
02-18-2016, 03:10 PM
I just had to have anything by the Eagles! But actually, I ended up playing it more that the other albums when I wanted to just listen to the hits. Of course that was before ipods and playlists! Come to think of it, compilation albums aren't really needed anymore, are they?!

AlreadyGone95
02-18-2016, 03:16 PM
I have 2 vinyl copies. They're great for playing when I can't decide to play. I also bought a cd copy for my to have so that she can get an Eagles fix when she wants! I actually do like the artwork! :lol:

I probably would buy a cassette of it just to have it.

DJ
02-18-2016, 05:02 PM
Wow I was young 40 years ago and I still have all the vinyl.
Happy 40th to one of the best albums ever. :grooving:

Elizasong
02-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Eagles Greatest Hits was the first Eagles cassette tape I bought as a teenager. I then bought the Eagles Greatest Hits 2. My Mom surprised me when she said she has The Eagles Greatest Hits. I didn't realize she was a fan. We enjoyed a nice 2 hour drive to my sisters house listening to it one time.

Freypower
02-18-2016, 05:39 PM
When this came out, I couldn't see the point of it. Why would you buy a greatest hits album when all the tracks were on the earlier albums (which I already owned)? I've never owned a copy nor known anyone who did.

Well there you are. HC was the first Eagles album I bought. Then I bought GH some months later, because I ddin't have the earlier albums. I didn't buy them until after The Long Run came out. I never got it on CD though - I have the Very Best Of double CD.

Freypower
02-18-2016, 05:41 PM
I just had to have anything by the Eagles! But actually, I ended up playing it more that the other albums when I wanted to just listen to the hits. Of course that was before ipods and playlists! Come to think of it, compilation albums aren't really needed anymore, are they?!

They are if you want a quick introduction. A lot of Genesis fans slammed R-Kive but for me it was a quick way to hear some Gabriel era Genesis, Banks, Hackett & Rutherford, before I went out & bought that stuff.

sodascouts
02-18-2016, 11:53 PM
Being a child of the 80s (and not allowed by my parents to even purchase rock music until 1985), I had none of the Eagles album. This Greatest Hits album was the first Eagles CD I ever bought. I loved it so much I bought the second greatest hits and Hell Freezes Over shortly thereafter. It's an incredible album and deserves its position at the top. And to think... this was released BEFORE they even put out their biggest album, Hotel California!

shunlvswx
02-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Happy Belated 41st Birthday to Their Greatest Hits 71-75 yesterday. The Eagles best selling album ever!!

02-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Yep - I want to belatedly recognize this anniversay as well. I think it's safe to say this album is responsible for turning a lot of folks into Eagles fans over the years - the biggest selling album of the last century. As Irving said in the HotE doc - that century is gone so nobody's gonna beat that! :applause: :applause: :applause: