PDA

View Full Version : How have your Eagles opinions changed?

thelastresort
03-15-2015, 06:15 PM
This topic crossed my mind when I posted about Visions in the OOTN thread before, I never used to be fond of it but over the past couple of months I have grown to love it so much that it's now probably in my top 10 favourites.

That got me thinking about how my thoughts on various Eagles topics have changed over the years, for example I never used to be fond of the first album but now I really love it and could easily listen to it on repeat; similarly I have grown to enjoy The Long Run, an album which before I joined this forum I scarcely listened to. On the other hand OOTN has gone from being my second or third favourite album to being stone cold last. Another example is that I never really thought much of Bernie's contribution (not in a bad way!) until I realised just how much he brought to the sound of the Desperado album in particular.

Does anyone else have any of their own? It can be about anything from discography to events within the band, or perhaps even not liking them at al previously.

Cheers

VAisForEagleLovers
03-15-2015, 06:38 PM
Good topic, LastResort!

I did the opposite of you, Long Run was my favorite album, and the only one I really listened to other than the greatest hits and Live. Now, I can't remember the last time I listened to it.

When Desperado or Hotel California could come on the MP3 player, the CD player, or the radio, I'd always switch to something else. I've stopped doing that. While they play, I just think about how they sound live.

Probably the biggest thing for me isn't so much just for the Eagles, but learning more about all these songs and how they were written, hearing Glenn talk about songwriting at the NYU lecture, and hearing what he said about songwriting when doing interviews for After Hours, I have a much better appreciation for the songwriting process.

WalshFan88
03-16-2015, 01:06 AM
Mine have pretty much stayed the same. :hilarious:

I still prefer the HC/LR era to the earlier eras and I'm still a Walsh fan and prefer him in the band to Leadon.

I still love Hotel California, it's my favorite song still, and listen to it all the time. I still believe it's their defining song and the one that turned them from a successful well known band to a rock n' roll supergroup in the likes of Zeppelin, Stones, Beatles, etc. And also I believe it has the best guitar solo of all time.

I've developed appreciation for certain songs over time like ATTIG and NKIT and such, but still not a fan of the first two albums except TIE, PEF, WW, and Desperado.

I still miss Don Felder in the band and feel he got a raw unfair deal, but have gained respect for Steuart Smith as an individual player even though he's not Don Felder and doesn't cop his phrasing exactly and tone wise (sonically) although musically plays it note for note. That's the individuality of guitar playing.

And lastly I still feel like they are a guitar band who's guitar parts was every bit as good as their amazing vocal harmonies and songwriting. I still feel Joe Walsh and Don Felder are probably the best guitar duo of all time and are what brought me into this whole thing.

Tiffanny Twisted
03-16-2015, 06:20 AM
I'm a HC gal all the way .
That will never change its just a song that stops me in my tracks everytiime that
I hear it.
The HC Lp reminds me of my senior year in high school ad takes. Me back to that era of music.
I love the lp always have .

I listen to it all all eagles songs unlike va

I do like songs that I dodnt care for when younger.

Now ww was always my least favorite . Sinc . Seeing it done live and dh explain about it being written and the kick a** version of it on hotw tour I kw feel differenly about it

Funk 50
03-16-2015, 06:30 AM
I came to the Eagles as a Walsh fan.

After all the great records he made before he joined the Eagles, I was disappointed that it became one album in half a decade after he became an Eagle. Pretty Maids All In A Row and, the already released, In The City didn't make up for it.

When the Eagles split in 1980, production increased again but the quality was more inconsistent.

After wanting Joe to leave the Eagles during the seventies, I was delighted that he was rejoining them for HFO. I was even prepared for Joe to put his solo career on hold for 10 years while the Eagles produced another album.

Twenty years after HFO, I'm back to wanting Joe to leave the Eagles.

The length of time between Long Road Out Of Eden and today is equal to the time between the Hoot at the Troubadour, on a Monday night and Hotel California. The James Gang's, Yer Album to Joe's, You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind.

There aint much to look forward to.

UndertheWire
03-16-2015, 08:04 AM
My opinions changed a little after hearing them live. I now appreciate "Those Shoes" more than I did just based on the recording. A live show has different needs than a recording that is played at home alone and that's where someone like Joe Walsh comes in.

Brooke
03-16-2015, 09:39 AM
I've been a fan since the very beginning and have always loved most everything they've done. I was devestated when they broke up and elated when hell froze over and continued listening to their music all the years in between.

I don't really think my opinions have changed about anything other than like The Long Run album better than I used to.

F50, why would you want Joe to leave the band? And who would you replace him with? That pretty much blows my mind!

L101
03-16-2015, 10:19 AM
I've loved the Eagles for years and went to their concerts when they played here but I only ever listened to their greatest hits CD's.

Since the HOTE tour started and my joining of the border, after reading the posts, I collected all their albums and really listened to them - discovering some gems of songs (ATTIG, Saturday night, My Man, YNCLAL) along the way that I would never have heard otherwise.

What I love about them is their ability to re-work old songs like Witchy Woman and These Shoes - two stand out songs from the HOTE tour IMO.
They constantly keep things fresh and still sound great and thats why I love them even more now.

But I agree with Brooke on F50's comment - why would you want Joe to leave the Eagles ? He obviously loves being in the band and we love him in the band so why would he want to leave ? If he wanted to put out new solo music, then I'm sure he would have.......

chaim
03-16-2015, 10:53 AM
I can't think of opinions that have changed, but if I do, I'll tell you.
But what has changed is that I know which member is which. The inner gatefold of Hotel California vinyl/back cover of the CD...When I was very green, I though that Randy was Glenn and Glenn was Joe. At some point I think I thought that Joe was Glenn...
One Of These Nights...I remember thinking that Felder was Glenn.

EDIT:

I think I didn't like ICTYW at all when I was a teenager, but now I love it.

chaim
03-16-2015, 11:16 AM
I still miss Don Felder in the band and feel he got a raw unfair deal, but have gained respect for Steuart Smith as an individual player even though he's not Don Felder and doesn't cop his phrasing exactly and tone wise (sonically) although musically plays it note for note. That's the individuality of guitar playing.

I have this feeling that guitarists sometimes deliberately play things differently so that it supposedly has "their" voice. If the original has a bend, play a hammer-on. If the original has a hammer-on, bend it. If the original slides into a note, do a hammer-on. If the original has a hammer-on, do a slide.

That's just how I feel and it irritates me. If guitarists play stuff differently naturally, I don't mind, but often it sounds like being different for the sake of being different.

thelastresort
03-16-2015, 11:38 AM
I've read somewhere in the past that Smith is under instruction to play the old songs note-for-note, no placing his own mark on it, but on the LROOE material where he is the original creator, he can do what he wants. One example I see of this is the fact that he doesn't slide down the guitar neck when after Walsh does in the HC outro: Felder used to do this (in the 70s at least).

bluefeather
03-16-2015, 02:37 PM
My opinions have changed greatly during the close to two year period I've been an actual fan so I'm not going to list everything.

Firstly, as a sort of reply to chaim, i didn't care for ICTYW either the first time I tried so I just ignored it.

Secondly I've gained appreciation for both the later songs on LROOE and lesser known album tracks from early on such as Jorney of the Sorcerer or Try and Love Again.

Thirdly the obvious: after knowing only really about Don and Glenn I've fallen for Timothy and grown quite fond of Joe.

Funk 50
03-16-2015, 03:47 PM
I've read somewhere in the past that Smith is under instruction to play the old songs note-for-note.

The exception is Love Will keep Us Alive. I prefer Steuart's guitar break. In fact, I wish they'd let him extend it a bar or two.

F50, why would you want Joe to leave the band? And who would you replace him with? That pretty much blows my mind!

I want to hear some new music from Joe. Judging by Long Road Out Of Eden, even if the Eagles make some new music, Joe's contribution will be minimal.

Joe gets busy when the Eagles break touring. Ringo's got a new album coming out at the end of March. Joe's written more songs with Ringo than he has with the Eagles. The new Eagles dates probably mean the Barnstorm reunion is off too.

The band seem content to play the same tunes, to the same audiences, in the same cities in perpetuity (I had to look that up :shh: :p).

Who could replace Joe? Bernie!

They could always drop the Walsh tunes and play a 2 1/4 hour set.

When the stage show is done, we'll have a stream of young actors being the Eagles. I don't know what the authentic Eagles will do when that happens.

chaim
03-16-2015, 04:16 PM
The exception is Love Will keep Us Alive. I prefer Steuart's guitar break. In fact, I wish they'd let him extend it a bar or two.

I want to hear some new music from Joe. Judging by Long Road Out Of Eden, even if the Eagles make some new music, Joe's contribution will be minimal.

Joe gets busy when the Eagles break touring. Ringo's got a new album coming out at the end of March. Joe's written more songs with Ringo than he has with the Eagles. The new Eagles dates probably mean the Barnstorm reunion is off too.

The band seem content to play the same tunes, to the same audiences, in the same cities in perpetuity (I had to look that up :shh: :p).

Who could replace Joe? Bernie!

They could always drop the Walsh tunes and play a 2 1/4 hour set.

When the stage show is done, we'll have a stream of young actors being the Eagles. I don't know what the authentic Eagles will do when that happens.

I got your point immediately. You're a Joe fan, and I can almost feel the frustration. And on Long Road Out Of Eden Joe was criminally underused.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-16-2015, 04:20 PM
On the other hand, he was supposed to have One Day At a Time on LROOE, but he elected to save it for his solo project. I've often wondered if there were others he elected to keep to himself.

Funk 50
03-16-2015, 04:54 PM
I got your point immediately. You're a Joe fan, and I can almost feel the frustration. And on Long Road Out Of Eden Joe was criminally underused.

I'm really surprised that other fans aren't frustrated. Glenn and Tim made two great solo albums after Long Road Out Of Eden. Don's solo album still hasn't got a release date.

However, If the Eagles manage to get Randy involved in the next USA leg of the HOTE tour, all the frustrations will disappear and my respect for the band will be restored to pinnacle levels.

bluefeather
03-16-2015, 04:56 PM
ok a bit harshly put but I get your point F50
and I agree Joe was underused on LROOE, then again he's a bit overused in the live shows which is also a minor annoyance for me

Freypower
03-16-2015, 05:00 PM
I'm really surprised that other fans aren't frustrated. Glenn and Tim made two great solo albums after Long Road Out Of Eden. Don's solo album still hasn't got a release date.

However, If the Eagles manage to get Randy involved in the next USA leg of the HOTE tour, all the frustrations will disappear and my respect for the band will be restored to pinnacle levels.

Joe released Analog Man.

I don't know whether to contribute to this topic or not. My main change of opinion seems to be that some songs which most people regard as sacred cows, I am just tired of them. I know that's heresy but it's how I feel at the moment. I also think the live show needs a shakeup.

L101
03-16-2015, 05:13 PM

I am frustrated that Don's solo album has been put back yet again!! But even if he did release the album, there is no guarantee that he would tour Europe (specifically London/Dublin) to promote it...

It would help if the Eagles decided to do another leg/mini tour in Europe to finish off the HOTE tour.....I know that this is their third time around the US (lucky people :grin:) for the HOTE but I would love to see them one more time as I have only seen them once on this tour and its not enough - especially as I missed the start of that concert due to traffic!

Can only live in hope :pray:

SilverAcidRayne
03-16-2015, 05:17 PM
Well... i can totally say that i just recently REALLY got into them. i knew about them i loved the music but i was never INTO them know what i mean? i was watching netflix one day and i was like ok ill watch history of the eagles. one time turned into 5 and 5 turned into 15... what made me fall in love with Timothy was when he said that he had cleaned up and done the dishes before the film crew came by. i was like OMG i need to hug him lmao

now i have my spotify playlist of them on almost constantly and i have folders of pictures in my laptop old and new. its awesome to know about them and how they came along. Don Felder and the rest of them i had no idea who they were. i just thought it was the current 4. And Joe Walsh I didnt know he was part of them either. (yes i know. lol) i always thought Timothy sang Take It To The Limit. either way beautiful voices from beautiful men. :)

chaim
03-16-2015, 05:23 PM

I've never followed their solo careers, although I love almost all of Don's stuff that I've heard. Must buy his albums at some point. I only have Glenn's albums, except the cover album. So I'm not waiting for solo albums from them.

But I felt really frustrated when Joe wasn't really playing on LROOE. The most spine-tingling guitar moment on the album came from him (the solo on the title track), and the most fun moment (LGTIT). But it wasn't enough.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-16-2015, 05:25 PM
I also think the live show needs a shakeup.

Like how?

Freypower
03-16-2015, 06:05 PM
Like how?

I have thought for years the second half is too dependent on the Walsh songs. I thought at the HOTE shows the order in which the songs were played was questionable. If it's supposed to be a history show then everything has to be in chronological order, not just the first half. Following LBG which is such a crowd pleaser (despite my reservations about it) with TLR was for me a huge mistake which even Don realised ('I have to follow that every stinkin' night') and HT, the only song in which the crowd was prepared to dance in Australia, was thrown away. I have already said that Desperado needed to be moved to the segment for that album. It has been the last song for far too long.

I don't expect anyone to agree with this. I don't know why I was so dissatisifed with this. The shows were great but the song order didn't work for me. I am well aware that most people seem perfectly happy with it.

13.) Wasted Time Reprise
14.) Pretty Maids All In a Row
15.) I Can't Tell You Why
16.) New Kid In Town
17.) Love Will Keep Us Alive
18.) Heartache Tonight
19.) Those Shoes
20.) In the City

[Band Intros]

21.) Life's Been Good
22.)The Long Run
23.) Funk #49
24.) Life In the Fast Lane

And then the encores, which are stuck in stone & have been since Felder was fired.

With the exception of three Long Run songs played consecutively it's all over the place. As for Funk #49 now being apparently so important as to precede LITFL I thought that was ridiculous. And then there is the complete exclusion of LROOE.

thelastresort
03-16-2015, 06:13 PM
One change I would make is put LBG as Joe's encore song and put RMW elsewhere (I'd be happy to see it dropped in all honesty), and shuffle them around so Desperado isn't last. I appreciate it's quite a poignant song to end on, but it's also exceptionally depressing. Quite odd how practically everything else has been changed in the setlist over the years (reordered or dropped etc) yet that final three remains the same. Thinking about it, I'd take Get Over It as Don's final vocal, sending Desperado earlier in the show and removing the bang average LWKUA from the set. This maintains some kind of chronology and means the entire encore is an upbeat matter with all members being showcased roughly equally across the three songs, but the downside is TBS loses a lead (unless you keep it and maintain the current inconsistency). Something like:

Life in the Fast Lane
-----
Hotel California
-----
Life's Been Good
Get Over It
Take It Easy

chaim
03-16-2015, 06:22 PM
And interesting thing, set lists. I haven't been following their tours, (I don't follow anyone's tours!) so I don't know about their set lists.
I'm a big Moody Blues fan, but they aren't exactly known for changing set lists every night either.:hilarious: KISS has two "new guys" who try to push Gene and Paul to play some obscure stuff as well, and when they do, G & P look like they can't wait for the next KISS standrard. It's interesting how different old bands can be in this respect. Procol Harum seems to change the setlist every night. I read that Gary announces the next song to the guitarist and he tells it to the others. Of course this wouldn't work with Eagles, but maybe they shouldn't be too predictable either. Even the Moody Blues has thrown in some surprises, like "One more time to live", "The day we meet again", "Higher & Higher", "Peak hour". Although it's probably more a case of replacing individual songs than changing the structure of the set. Tuesday Afternoon will probably always be the second song and Ride My See-Saw the last etc.
Seems that the more people you draw, the less you can take risks. The are exceptions, of course, like Neil Young who doesn't give a....

WalshFan88
03-17-2015, 07:56 AM
I have this feeling that guitarists sometimes deliberately play things differently so that it supposedly has "their" voice. If the original has a bend, play a hammer-on. If the original has a hammer-on, bend it. If the original slides into a note, do a hammer-on. If the original has a hammer-on, do a slide.

That's just how I feel and it irritates me. If guitarists play stuff differently naturally, I don't mind, but often it sounds like being different for the sake of being different.

Yep!

One thing Stu does on HC that really grinds my gears is the "pinch harmonics". Now he is a master at that, and with fingerpicks - but I don't think it goes with the solo that well.

NightMistBlue
03-17-2015, 04:15 PM
But what has changed is that I know which member is which. The inner gatefold of Hotel California vinyl/back cover of the CD...When I was very green, I though that Randy was Glenn and Glenn was Joe. At some point I think I thought that Joe was Glenn...
One Of These Nights...I remember thinking that Felder was Glenn.

Me too. When I was a kid, it threw me that there were two guys in the band named Don. I guess I was easily confused.

Even as an adult, my opinion of the Eagles was shamefully shallow, even after seeing them in concert a few times. I LOVED their hits and better-known album cuts, but thought they had a lot of filler on their albums.

Needless to say, I've seen the error of my ways. I stand corrected and the Eagles are one of my top 5 of all time bands.

Funk 50
03-17-2015, 05:57 PM
I've never followed their solo careers....

I can understand that, chaim. I became an Eagles fan just as they split at the start of the 1980s, so the solo stuff, and there was loads of it, was what I grew up with.

It was the Eagles classics, that the Eagles concentrate on now, that were out of date and inconsequential. It's the complete opposite now, so new fans wont be exposed to their solo material.

One thing Stu does on HC that really grinds my gears is the "pinch harmonics". Now he is a master at that, and with fingerpicks - but I don't think it goes with the solo that well.

I agree WalshFan88. It's so subtle, it's hardly worth mentioning but it doesn't add anything to the solo. Genius Joe has made a few slight alterations to the album version of the solo, all of them get my nod of approval.

Regarding the set list, did anybody buy tickets for the show because of the history lesson concept? or was it the chance to see the Eagles with Bernie again or some other reason?

To quote Elvin Bishop "This is not a rock concert, it's a cultural event! :-D "

I take it, the acoustic opening to the show is a success (despite starting with a song from their second album). I think Rocky Mountain Way is too instrumental to be an Eagles encore.

The Eagles used to play, All Night Long as an encore.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-17-2015, 06:17 PM
Regarding the set list, did anybody buy tickets for the show because of the history lesson concept? or was it the chance to see the Eagles with Bernie again or some other reason?

Not me, I bought the tickets because they're the freakin' Eagles. :D When they announced ahead of time that the setlist would be somewhat of a chronology, I wondered how that would work and what it would be. I found it very interesting, mostly because it was bits and pieces and not a lot of talking at all. I'm not into 'talking'. It's the biggest reason I got SiriusXM as soon as it was available to put into vehicles, because I hate talking DJ's. I only want music!

Jonny Come Lately
03-17-2015, 07:06 PM
I have to say I agree a fair bit with thelastresort's original post. When I first heard The Long Run I instantly loved The Sad Café, and also really liked the title track and In The City, but that was it. I found King Of Hollywood and ICTYW okay but nothing more and didn't really like any of the other songs, although those two and Heartache Tonight did grow on me after a few months. Nowadays I really like everything except Greeks and The Disco Strangler - and I enjoy the former a fair bit and don't dislike the latter anywhere near as much as some other people do. Those Shoes is the single Eagles song I've had the most significant reassessment of - it's gone from being a song I didn't like and didn't listen to, to being a personal favourite. It would make my top three songs from the album now I think.

Overall my current opinion of The Long Run is that I think it's a strong album with just a couple of weaker moments which are short enough to not greatly weaken the whole. Interestingly when I heard the album I initially thought that it was weaker than Fleetwood Mac's Tusk from the same year, whereas given the choice now between the two albums I'd go for The Long Run - I'd far rather listen to a strong album with a bit of filler than a double album consisting IMO of a single album's worth of good to great songs, with the rest of the songs ranging from a bit flat to barely listenable.

I do think that the debut album is underrated although unlike The Long Run I found that I liked most of the album once I started to listen to it beyond simply listening to the big three hits (TIE, WW, PEF). The only track that is a bit 'meh' for me is Nightingale - it's not a bad song by any means, it just doesn't quite stand out enough for me. I think the alternate Bill Halverson version does sound better than the album version though.

The title track from On The Border is another one that has grown on me quite a lot, I thought it was quite an odd song when I first heard it but I love it now.

I agree with the suggestion of changing the encores so that Take It Easy is at the end, not only is it more uplifting than Desperado but - especially with the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) also in the setlist - it works better as a standalone song. I agree also with the idea of swapping Life's Been Good for Rocky Mountain Way. I love RMW myself but I think it's definitely one mainly for the Joe fans, whereas LBG has more room for the rest of the band and is a bigger crowd pleaser so I think it would be a superior choice for a Joe song as part of an encore.

Funk 50
03-18-2015, 02:13 PM
Twenty years after HFO, I'm back to wanting Joe to leave the Eagles.

Epic news from CNN.

Former Eagles band member, Joe Walsh will be performing at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in April.

Joe's left the Eagles!

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/18/entertainment/feat-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-presenters-2015/index.html

The ceremony will feature other lively performances from blues guitarist Jimmie Vaughan, Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave, former Eagles band member Joe Walsh, and Nirvana drummer and Foo Fighters founder Dave Grohl.

... or do I need a second source on this :eyebrow:

SilverAcidRayne
03-18-2015, 04:39 PM
nope its official... i found it this morning. Paul McCartney is inducting Ringo Starr and Joe will be doing a few of his songs. looking forward to this for sure :partytime:

VAisForEagleLovers
03-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Are you saying that it's official that Joe has left the Eagles?

No, Joe hasn't left the Eagles!! Some of these rags are too stupid to realize the Eagles are still together and refer to the individual band members as 'former'.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-18-2015, 05:25 PM
The rag reporting that was CNN.

Yes, exactly. THere is crackpot journalism everywhere

SilverAcidRayne
03-18-2015, 05:33 PM
wait i missed something? lol

i could certainly hope not as far as i know he didnt leave... i think he's just playing at the ceremony

SilverAcidRayne
03-18-2015, 05:37 PM
Are you saying that it's official that Joe has left the Eagles?

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-rock-hall-induction-paul-mccartney-ringo-starr-presenter-performer-20150316-story.html

mentions that Joe is one of the performers... CNN are crackheads lmao

Freypower
03-18-2015, 05:39 PM
The Eagles have just announced another American tour. Of course Joe hasn't suddenly 'left' them.

SilverAcidRayne
03-18-2015, 05:44 PM
yeah i didnt think so... lol he may have a few side projects but i think he's forever an eagle

thelastresort
03-18-2015, 06:01 PM
If Joe (or Don, or Glenn, or Timothy) was to ever leave the Eagles I suspect the news would break from Eagles HQ or one of their associates, not a hastily-compiled relatively unimportant news article...

SilverAcidRayne
03-18-2015, 06:18 PM
If Joe (or Don, or Glenn, or Timothy) was to ever leave the Eagles I suspect the news would break from Eagles HQ or one of their associates, not a hastily-compiled relatively unimportant news article...

truth... lol

bluefeather
03-19-2015, 02:56 PM
WHAT!? I can't believe it's true, must be a mistake, surely they would have announced it

crackpot journalism indeed!!!

Ive always been a dreamer
03-22-2015, 06:13 PM
I've been a fan since the very beginning and have always loved most everything they've done. I was devestated when they broke up and elated when hell froze over and continued listening to their music all the years in between.

I don't really think my opinions have changed about anything other than like The Long Run album better than I used to.

Well Brooke - I could have written this. Everything you said applies to me also. And I've said many times before that, IMO, if any of the current band members were to leave at this point, I believe they would go ahead and call it quits. I just don't think the members would have much appetite for any line up changes now.

Glennsallnighter
03-24-2015, 01:08 PM
Probably the omne thing that has changed for me is
When I first bought the VBO cd and started listening to some of their lesser known songs (to me anyway) I didn't really like Doolin-Dalton and would often skip it on the CD. But after a while it grew on me and after seeing it (and the reprise) performed at the HOTE shows, I can honestly say my opinion of the song has rocketed and it is now one of my favourites. Skip it? Never, I often replay it now!!

The Disco Strangler
03-25-2015, 06:30 PM
I've always been a Timothy/Glenn fan. It's their voices that got me into the Eagles when Dad bought me The Long Run when I was a little girl. Lately, though, I'm enjoying and appreciating Randy Meisner. Now I'm poking through his solo stuff.

Funk 50
03-26-2015, 06:23 AM
I've said many times before that, IMO, if any of the current band members were to leave at this point, I believe they would go ahead and call it quits. I just don't think the members would have much appetite for any line up changes now.

If a new line up could deliver a first rate show and sell just as many tickets, why would they stop? They still have an appetite to perform. I just wish that they still had an appetite to make new music.

thelastresort
03-26-2015, 03:44 PM
If a new line up could deliver a first rate show and sell just as many tickets, why would they stop? They still have an appetite to perform. I just wish that they still had an appetite to make new music.

Well, if we took say TBS as an example of someone who would potentially leave, they need to find someone who:
- Sings high and in harmony
- Plays bass and can learn 30+ tabs off by heart
- Henley and Crago can build a rapport with
- Has a decent reputation

Neither Henley nor Frey could be replaced, too many vocals and too much image and behind the scenes matters depend on them. Replacing Walsh would be nearing impossible and I suspect about as popular amongst the general public as Felder leaving, certainly you'd never replace the stage presence. Put all of that together along with their age and that realistically they've probably got about 5 years tops left of any extended performances and it becomes quite obvious why they probably wouldn't bother.

03-26-2015, 10:42 PM

First of all, I'm not convinced that they could come up with any other lineup that would be capable of selling just as many tickets. And even if they could, I think there's a lot more to it. Again, I just don't believe they have the appetite to basically 'train' any newcomers to the band at this point.

I agree with almost everything that tlr wrote except I think replacing Joe would be hugely unpopular and have a much more severe impact than losing Felder. Joe's solo songs and stage presence are such an integral part of the second half of the show that I consider him nearly as irreplacable as Henley or Frey.

Of course, this is all hypothesis and speculation on my part.

UndertheWire
03-27-2015, 09:31 AM
The big thing that has changed for me over the last two years is I now have opinions. Before that I was in blissful ignorance.

In the early days, I loved Don Henley's vocals from Witchy Woman up to One of These Nights. I must have played "Best of My Love" continuously at one point. However, on LROOE I preferred Glenn's even when the songs weren't that interesting. Maybe as I've got older I prefer the smooth seduction rather than the sexy rasp. There's also the way their voices have changed. From HC on, Don has a tendency to sound strained (in one interview he said he chose the pitch so as to achieve that strain). It's harder to explain the changes with Glenn as he sings different styles and is less consistent. I love the huskiness of the early 90s and the smoothness of his more recent work.

Brooke
03-27-2015, 10:13 AM
The big thing that has changed for me over the last two years is I now have opinions. Before that I was in blissful ignorance.

In the early days, I loved Don Henley's vocals from Witchy Woman up to One of These Nights. I must have played "Best of My Love" continuously at one point. However, on LROOE I preferred Glenn's even when the songs weren't that interesting. Maybe as I've got older I prefer the smooth seduction rather than the sexy rasp. There's also the way their voices have changed. From HC on, Don has a tendency to sound strained (in one interview he said he chose the pitch so as to achieve that strain). It's harder to explain the changes with Glenn as he sings different styles and is less consistent. I love the huskiness of the early 90s and the smoothness of his more recent work.

I couldn't agree more, UtW. Their voices have changed and they still do a fabulous job, but oh, how I loved Don's sexy rasp. And Glenn's smooth, sweetness.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-27-2015, 02:34 PM
And Glenn's smooth, sweetness.

Sweet like Sugar, maybe? :hilarious:

Because Glenn has my favorite voice, I don't say it enough... Don has an absolutely incredible voice. It's nearly perfect, and it's very distinctive. Singing background, especially on other people's songs, is where I notice it especially. His voice adds so much to the recordings. Singing lead or solo, his voice reaches right out there and grabs you and pulls you in.

Glennsallnighter
03-27-2015, 03:05 PM
I think replacing Joe would be hugely unpopular and have a much more severe impact than losing Felder. Joe's solo songs and stage presence are such an integral part of the second half of the show that I consider him nearly as irreplacable as Henley or Frey.

I would have to agree with that too Dreamer. Even from talking to avid fans and friends who like the band there is a significant cohort who will attend a show specifically to see Joe perform. For that group of people he is a ticket seller. I would also say that even if you are going to see the band as a whole like I do, or have a different 'favourite' to Joe, his contribution to the overall experience is very important. He has built this up over a long time and I don't think someone else could just step in and reproduce this. Its not like a backing singer or a backing band member is being replaced. Joe has a significant part to play in the overall success of the band.

Funk 50
03-28-2015, 09:54 AM
I've just thought of somebody who could replace Joe. Francis Rossi.

After hearing him confess that he prefers country pop, to the rock, Status Quo are famed for, he'd love being in the Eagles. Replace the Walsh tracks with a few heads down, Quo anthems and parity is restored.

I think the Eagles could easily carry on with Bernie instead of Joe. Glenn and Don have had enough up-tempo solo hits to adequately replace the Walsh tracks.

The show would probably have to be half an hour shorter but that isn't such a bad thing. I'm sure the fans would still leave satisfied but wanting more, which is key to being a successful act.

Hearing that Joe, did a 20 plus minutes, set at the end of a Kenny Chesney gig last night has left me seething with jealousy.

Joe's obviously, not busy enough being an Eagle but too busy to devote adequate effort to a solo career so Walsh fans are left with scraps and left overs.

Are the Eagles currently anything more than an authentic tribute act?

VAisForEagleLovers
03-28-2015, 11:53 AM

How on earth can they be a tribute act of the Eagles when they ARE the Eagles? That statement makes no sense, and so I wonder what point you are trying to make. I realize you think these these guys should spend their time cranking out new music. I would love new music from these guys, as a group and definitely solo, but since their manager has basically said he sees it as a waste of their time, I sincerely doubt it'll happen. I can sort of see why. Half the critics and fans alike criticized LROOE for not being like their old stuff. The other half criticized it for merely cranking out the same old stuff. When they toured for LROOE, they were criticized for playing the new songs when people wanted to hear the hits (of course with HOTE, they've been criticized for not having anything new to play).

You, F50, are enough of a fan to join a fan forum and post regularly, which makes you more than a casual fan by far. Yet you've criticized LROOE, and you've criticized Analog Man. If you as a big fan of the band so openly dislike their new music, it's easy to see why Irving feels the way he does.

However we feel about it, the majority of the fans who are actually paying for tickets have made it clear, they want to hear the hits. So I think your comment about them being a tribute band (especially when the current members have been members for nearly 35 years) is out of line.

thelastresort
03-28-2015, 02:37 PM

*Falls off chair laughing*

I'd happily pay the ticket price again for them not to play any Quo material if that ever happened.

Jonny Come Lately
03-28-2015, 03:00 PM

After hearing him confess that he prefers country pop, to the rock, Status Quo are famed for, he'd love being in the Eagles. Replace the Walsh tracks with a few heads down, Quo anthems and parity is restored.

I think the Eagles could easily carry on with Bernie instead of Joe. Glenn and Don have had enough up-tempo solo hits to adequately replace the Walsh tracks.

The show would probably have to be half an hour shorter but that isn't such a bad thing. I'm sure the fans would still leave satisfied but wanting more, which is key to being a successful act.

Hearing that Joe, did a 20 plus minutes, set at the end of a Kenny Chesney gig last night has left me seething with jealousy.

Joe's obviously, not busy enough being an Eagle but too busy to devote adequate effort to a solo career so Walsh fans are left with scraps and left overs.

I'm sorry but do you seriously think Eagles fans would accept Status Quo songs as substitutes for Joe's songs? Status Quo may be famed for their rock sound but IMO they are far from the level of the likes of Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple, and also from the Eagles themselves. You are entitled to your opinion of course but if you ask me their stuff is just the same old slurry regurgitated over and over. I have seen Quo concert footage on TV and find them boring to watch, every song starts to sound the same to me. None of their songs can match Joe's Life's Been Good.

I for one would be far from happy if the Eagles replaced Joe with a guy from another band and started playing their songs. I would feel uncomfortable even if it was say David Gilmour or Mark Knopfler who was joining the band in his place and certainly wouldn't be happy to see someone like Rossi (who isn't in the same league as Joe IMO) join the band. The songs Joe plays with the Eagles now were played by the band in the 1970s and therefore have genuine Eagles heritage, rather than just being played for the sake of representing a band member.

In any case, the Eagles song which I think most resembles Status Quo is Chug All Night. This song is hardly a fan favourite already, who on here really wants wants more songs like that? I'd far prefer to the band to play rockers with the genuine Eagles stamp on them such as Already Gone, GDIH or Outlaw Man.

I concede that Joe was underused on LROOE, but he was absolutely essential in the 1970s. I could not imagine songs like Hotel California, Those Shoes and LITFL without his contributions - he may not have written the first two, but his guitar parts on those songs make them the classics I think they are. As for your comment about them being a tribute act, all I will say is that I find their commitment to authenticity to be commendable.

From this and your previous posts I sense that you consider Glenn and Don's 1980s solo works to be more 'rock' than the 1970s Eagles material. I could not disagree more - the Eagles might be one of the softer/more laid-back of the elite rock bands but I've always considered their style to be very much rock, ranging from soft or country rock to a harder or funkier style. I feel that Don and Glenn went pop after the breakup. If the Eagles had wanted to continue making 'country pop' as you call it, why would Joe have joined the band? Bernie would have been less likely to leave the band if they'd not changed their style towards a more mainstream rock sound. He was crucial in defining the band's original country rock sound. There are no such songs on The Long Run and I would say that only TALA (soft rock not country to my ears) on Hotel California could be considered as such.

03-28-2015, 03:45 PM
Yeah - it seems to me that there are some folks that will never be happy no matter what the band does or doesn’t do. So it's no wonder to me if the band follows the immortal words of Rick Nelson ... "You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself." While I know there are some that disagree, it seems to me that Joe in the Eagles has worked out pretty darn well – it’s a win-win-win situation. The Eagles are extremely lucky to have Joe for lots of reasons, but mainly because of what he adds to the live shows. Joe is extremely lucky to have the Eagles for lots of reasons, but mainly because it gives his music visibility that he would never have as a solo artist. And Eagles fans are extremely lucky because they get to enjoy the best of both worlds. So, given the band’s success at touring over the last 40 years, if Joe and the Eagles are content with him being in the band, then that’s what is important. It's good enough for this fan. And I'll stand by my original comments – I honestly can’t think of anyone on the planet that I feel would be a suitable replacement for him in the band at this point in their careers. They maybe could have gotten away with replacing Joe at the time of the HFO reunion, but I seriously doubt it. And now, I find the whole idea kind of laughable. But, hey, I've learned to never say never, so if Kid Rock is available, maybe that would work out. :hilarious:

Freypower
03-28-2015, 05:40 PM

You do know that the Eagles are an American band & virtually nobody in the United States has even heard of Francis Rossi, right? The man is one of my heroes. But a guitar hero he is not.

I'lll just echo what VA said about your 'authentic tribute act' comment which I find very unfair.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-28-2015, 07:19 PM
Yes, I assumed F50 was joking with the comment, since I've never heard of Frank Rossi or Status Quo!

UndertheWire
03-29-2015, 06:34 AM
Just as Joe was a surprising choice for the Eagles, I guessed F50 was looking for an equally surprising substitution but I can't think of a group that's less compatible with the Eagles and their audience. If you want to boogie at a corporate do, they would be great, but sitting down in an arena, less so. It prompted me to look at what Status Quo are doing now and that was interesting. They alternate between two lineups the "Frantic Four" - original line-up who play deeper cuts and a current line-up who play the greatest hits. I assume Rossi and Rick Parfitt are in both. If you're interested here's more (http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/mar/31/status-quo-britains-most-underrated-rock-band).

I haven't thought about it much, but it seems to me that many of the 70s "rock" acts that survived moved more into "pop". Just think of Genesis/Peter Gabrial/Phil Collins but I'm sure there are others.

Jonny Come Lately
03-29-2015, 06:56 AM
Agreed about the rock acts moving to pop - Fleetwood Mac are another good example, in the late 1970s they were mostly soft rock but 1987's Tango In The Night is definitely pop to my ears (its sound is dominated by keyboards and synthesisers and features few guitars, let alone guitar solos). In fairness, the rock acts which became more pop tended to continue to be successful in the 1980s, more so than the legendary songwriters like Bob Dylan or Neil Young who both had troubled decades.

It's possible that a 1980s Led Zeppelin may have gone in a more pop direction based on the evidence of In Through The Out Door, although I think it's unlikely they'd ever have gone outright pop as Page wasn't a big fan of songs like All My Love on ITTOD but as he was 'out of it' as the time had little influence and I believe the proposed follow up album would have marked a return to a harder rock sound (I hate to say it but I fear John Bonham's death may have prevented an ugly fall out between Robert Plant and Jimmy Page).

Funk 50
03-29-2015, 07:00 AM
In the UK, Status Quo have had dozens and dozens of hit singles since the late sixties, far more than the Eagles, never mind solo Joe, most of them up-tempo rockers, most of them written and sung by Rossi.

Francis Rossi would be a bonkers replacement for Joe but I think a few jaws hit the floor when Joe was announced as the replacement for Bernie.

The question, not comment, Are the Eagles currently anything more than an authentic tribute act? is worthy of merit.

I'm trying to think of the best songwriting team still operating today. In the 70s, Glenn and Don would've been in the running. Presently, I'm struggling to name any at all.

Touring is such big business now that the show has become the product. Song power is something from the last century.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-29-2015, 10:42 AM
In the UK, Status Quo have had dozens and dozens of hit singles since the late sixties, far more than the Eagles, never mind solo Joe, most of them up-tempo rockers, most of them written and sung by Rossi.

Francis Rossi would be a bonkers replacement for Joe but I think a few jaws hit the floor when Joe was announced as the replacement for Bernie.

The question, not comment, Are the Eagles currently anything more than an authentic tribute act? is worthy of merit.

I'm trying to think of the best songwriting team still operating today. In the 70s, Glenn and Don would've been in the running. Presently, I'm struggling to name any at all.

Touring is such big business now that the show has become the product. Song power is something from the last century.

F50, you asked the tribute band question again, and yet you never answered my questions in my post above. So I'll say it again, an actual band with actual members cannot be a tribute band. They are THE band. Also, your implied criticism of no new music hardly flies when you so dislike the new music they did put out.

As for the touring being such big business, there are multiple threads that go into depth on that subject on this board. The long and the short of it is that if you want to make money, you have to tour. Merely releasing music does not make money. US radio stations play it for free. A large portion of people listen to music via streaming options like Spotify which pays even more of a pittance than record sales by the time it gets to the songwriters and artists. MP3s and Apple's equivalent require agreements with Apple, Amazon, etc., that do not pay as much as someone buying a CD, plus the option to buy a single song instead of the entire album. Others just search for a video on YouTube, since it allows people to post things they don't own the copyright to. Lastly, people have a habit of copying music from others or downloading from torrent sites instead of buying. For some acts, releasing new music costs money instead of makes money, and touring is the way to make it up. If you want more information on the break outs of all that when it comes to percentages and such, let me know and I'll try to find the threads and articles that were referenced.

03-29-2015, 12:25 PM
I actually have heard of Status Quo, but I can't remember where, and it was, obviously. only in passing because I know absolutely nothing about them. I don't know where they are from, what genre of music they play, who Frank Rossi is, nor could I name a single song or band member. I suspect that is pretty true of mainstream America, so I think Freypower makes a valid point.

We also have to remember that the Eagles are all pushing 70, and, dare I say, nearing the twilight of their careers. If they thought they needed Joe in the band for the 1994 reunion, I can't fathom that they would consider replacing him now.

BTW, I also agree with VA's definition of a tribute band. I guess the implication may be that they are only a shadow of what they once were and I certainly would take issue with that notion as well.

shunlvswx
03-29-2015, 12:41 PM
Status Quo sang Gloria. Don played drums to this song on the All Star Garage Band special.

I've never heard of them either until I found out they sang Gloria. That song popped up on my Pandora station one day.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-29-2015, 12:41 PM
BTW, I also agree with VA's definition of a tribute band. I guess the implication may be that they are only a shadow of what they once were and I certainly would take issue with that notion as well.

Thank you, Dreamer....anybody who has seen them on this tour would know they are not even close to being a shadow of what they once were.

Freypower
03-29-2015, 05:30 PM
Status Quo sang Gloria. Don played drums to this song on the All Star Garage Band special.

I've never heard of them either until I found out they sang Gloria. That song popped up on my Pandora station one day.

In 1968 at the very beginning of their career. It is far better known as a Van Morrison/Them song.

This version was done by the original lineup which called itself the Frantic Four. All I can say is original bass player Alan Lancaster (who sings it) is looking old).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwrteXly_WI

They are massive in the UK & I am very fond of them. I saw them at their peak back in 1978. Francis (it is Francis, not Frank) is the singer/guitarist.

Don did play drums on a version of Gloria, but not the Quo version.

Frankly I am dumbfounded that this was apparently put up as a serious suggestion, given what I said about Quo being completely unknown in the US.

As for the HOTE tour I did have some reservations about the last shows I saw. I have only hinted at what they were & it is probably best that I leave it at that.

Funk 50
03-30-2015, 06:12 AM
F50, you asked the tribute band question again, and yet you never answered my questions in my post above. So I'll say it again, an actual band with actual members cannot be a tribute band. They are THE band. Also, your implied criticism of no new music hardly flies when you so dislike the new music they did put out.

I thought I quite liked all the new music, including Glenn's standards album. Long Road Out Of Eden is a great Eagles album but I'm a Walsh fan.

I don't know what the official definition of a tribute band is but in my opinion it is a band that attempts to recreate the music of another band, live in concert.

Things get more complicated when former actual band members get involved.

Steve Hackett has just done a massive tour performing Genesis music. Felder plays mostly Eagles music live, rather than his own material. John Illsley, tours playing Dire Straits tracks. John Coughlan played drums in a Status Quo tribute act. I think two, thirds of The Jam joined a, The Jam tribute act. The list goes on. Actual band members add authenticity but it's still a tribute act. The only difference is that the Eagles recreate their own music.

When the Eagles started out, they just wanted to hear themselves on the radio. As their popularity increased, their ambitions grew too. They've had an awesome career and achieved much more than they could have dreamed of, yet, coming towards the end of their career, their act isn't that far removed from a bunch of musicians, just starting out, by becoming an Eagles tribute act.

I've no problem with the Eagles doing the nostalgia thing but I'd rather they did it without wasting the talent of Joe Walsh.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-30-2015, 06:46 AM
I thought I quite liked all the new music, including Glenn's standards album. Long Road Out Of Eden is a great Eagles album but I'm a Walsh fan.

I don't know what the official definition of a tribute band is but in my opinion it is a band that attempts to recreate the music of another band, live in concert.

Things get more complicated when former actual band members get involved.

Steve Hackett has just done a massive tour performing Genesis music. Felder plays mostly Eagles music live, rather than his own material. John Illsley, tours playing Dire Straits tracks. John Coughlan played drums in a Status Quo tribute act. I think two, thirds of The Jam joined a, The Jam tribute act. The list goes on. Actual band members add authenticity but it's still a tribute act. The only difference is that the Eagles recreate their own music.

When the Eagles started out, they just wanted to hear themselves on the radio. As their popularity increased, their ambitions grew too. They've had an awesome career and achieved much more than they could have dreamed of, yet, coming towards the end of their career, their act isn't that far removed from a bunch of musicians, just starting out, by becoming an Eagles tribute act.

I've no problem with the Eagles doing the nostalgia thing but I'd rather they did it without wasting the talent of Joe Walsh.

OK, what stuck with me with the negative comments you made about LROOE, and I somehow missed that you liked it. I do remember what you said about Analog Man, and it wasn't good, and if all of Joe's fans feel that way, I can totally understand why he's not in a hurry to do it again. By the end of his solo tour, he was only playing one or two songs from Analog Man, and to me, that was very telling on his thoughts of new solo material.

I get why you might think Joe's talents are wasted on the Eagles. I disagree, of course, and more to the point, Joe disagrees. He's said he wants to put out solo material again, but he's first and foremost an Eagle, and that's what he seems to want. They all feel that way, but Joe has been the most vocal about it.

Here is the definition of a tribute act, so hopefully this will explain why some of us found your words to be insulting to the band. They have not disbanded, ceased touring, or are deceased, and they do not mimic anyone.

A tribute act is a music group, singer, or musician who specifically plays the music of a well-known music act - sometimes one which has disbanded, ceased touring or is deceased. Probably the largest class of tributes acts is Elvis impersonators, individual performers who mimic the songs and style of Elvis Presley.

Freypower
03-30-2015, 04:36 PM
The only thing I would say about the 'tribute act' accusation is the following:

When LROOE was released Glenn said in quite specific terms that one of the reasons they made it was because they didn't want to become a 'tribute to themselves'.

Now with the complete dumping of any reference to LROOE & the reliance on the 'history' aspect in their shows the 'nostalgia' aspect, if not the 'tribute' aspect has in fact become the most prominent aspect of their shows. This isn't meant to insult them. It's just stating a fact.

F50, perhaps you should have seen the most recent shows. It's a bit difficult to say that Joe's talents are wasted with the Eagles when he dominates the second half so completely. It could also be said that the other band members' talents are wasted even more in this situation. I'm afraid that's how I felt. You seem to think the Eagles are or should be only a vehicle for Joe.

Funk 50
03-30-2015, 06:07 PM
The HOTE documentary strongly suggests that Don and Glenn are the Eagles. Everybody else is secondary.

Joe's dominated the second half of every Eagles show I've attended since HFO. The last occasion was a shortened set and even I, as a Walsh fan thought there was too much Joe and not enough of the rest of the band. It was the Eagles' name on the ticket.

I'd love to see Joe live without having to fork out a fortune to see the same half dozen songs performed yet again. 40 years is a helluva wait.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-30-2015, 07:06 PM
The HOTE documentary strongly suggests that Don and Glenn are the Eagles. Everybody else is secondary.

Joe's dominated the second half of every Eagles show I've attended since HFO. The last occasion was a shortened set and even I, as a Walsh fan thought there was too much Joe and not enough of the rest of the band. It was the Eagles' name on the ticket.

I'd love to see Joe live without having to fork out a fortune to see the same half dozen songs performed yet again. 40 years is a helluva wait.

I saw him in August of 2012. It was a great show! I hope he does more shows, with or without new music.

BillBailey1976
03-31-2015, 10:11 PM
My opinion of the Eagles has never really changed, as far as the band itself. They are a great band. I do see the "historic" or "tribute" aspect that has been mentioned, and I too think they have become tributes to themselves, but as a group, the sound is still great. (Now it can be argued that to achieve the same sound and vocals that they did in the 70's they require 3 or 4 more musicians and harmony singers)
I think personality wise, after reading different books and seeing the documentary, my opinion of members, either positively or negatively has changed somewhat. I have, like so many others, started to appreciate more of the lesser known songs, and hidden gems in their catalog. "Visions" for instance, I had never listened to, until a couple years back, and I love it.
I think what has hindered the group being an actual working, music producing band is what makes it so great, the music. The old songs are so great, and now, with these huge gaps of time in between, it would be hard to put out anything that could stand along side them.

MaryCalifornia
03-31-2015, 10:24 PM
Well, if we took say TBS as an example of someone who would potentially leave, they need to find someone who:
- Sings high and in harmony
- Plays bass and can learn 30+ tabs off by heart
- Henley and Crago can build a rapport with
- Has a decent reputation

Neither Henley nor Frey could be replaced, too many vocals and too much image and behind the scenes matters depend on them. Replacing Walsh would be nearing impossible and I suspect about as popular amongst the general public as Felder leaving, certainly you'd never replace the stage presence. Put all of that together along with their age and that realistically they've probably got about 5 years tops left of any extended performances and it becomes quite obvious why they probably wouldn't bother.

Sorry to go back so far, I'm just getting caught up on the threads! TLR, you left out TBS's most important attribute: He is a consummate professional who knows the business, understands the politics, doesn't mess with Don and Glenn and Don and Glenn don't mess with him! He keeps the peace. [is that one attribute?]

Funk 50
04-01-2015, 06:09 AM
Surely they'd replace Tim with Jack Sundrud (Poco). :thumbsup: Although a Poco fan has likened Jack's voice to Henley's.

Tim's been a second, great bassist/vocalist for the Eagles but I don't think they'd be any problem replacing him. They'd just get a session guy in, like The Rolling Stones and The Who have done. Nathan East would be top of my list.

It may be a step too far but the Eagles could have some women on stage to help with the high harmonies. Don's already performed I Can't Tell You Why at a solo show, so that's covered.

Saying all that, I'd be as shocked as anybody to hear that Tim has left the Eagles.

Comparing the new songs (Long Road Out Of Eden) to the old songs. I remember Glenn saying, when LROOE was released, that on all the old albums, you could pick out, 3 or 4 really stand out tracks where-as Long Road Out Of Eden had 13 or 14. He didn't specify further but I wonder if he'd still stand by that statement, 7 years on.

Apart from the Greatest Hits albums, I think Long Road Out Of Eden, mainly as it's a double album, is the Eagles album with the most great songs on it.

thelastresort
04-01-2015, 06:30 AM
Sorry to go back so far, I'm just getting caught up on the threads! TLR, you left out TBS's most important attribute: He is a consummate professional who knows the business, understands the politics, doesn't mess with Don and Glenn and Don and Glenn don't mess with him! He keeps the peace. [is that one attribute?]

I suppose I was talking in general but would agree TBS plays the quiet, measured role well and I kind of meant that with reputation - an old hand who's been around long enough to know how music and the industry itself works and would be a like for like change.

Brooke
04-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Comparing the new songs (Long Road Out Of Eden) to the old songs. I remember Glenn saying, when LROOE was released, that on all the old albums, you could pick out, 3 or 4 really stand out tracks where-as Long Road Out Of Eden had 13 or 14. He didn't specify further but I wonder if he'd still stand by that statement, 7 years on.

Apart from the Greatest Hits albums, I think Long Road Out Of Eden, mainly as it's a double album, is the Eagles album with the most great songs on it.

Evidently he has changed his mind about ANY stand out tracks since they don't do any from it at all these days. Which I can't understand at all.

Freypower
04-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Surely they'd replace Tim with Jack Sundrud (Poco). :thumbsup: Although a Poco fan has likened Jack's voice to Henley's.

Tim's been a second, great bassist/vocalist for the Eagles but I don't think they'd be any problem replacing him. They'd just get a session guy in, like The Rolling Stones and The Who have done. Nathan East would be top of my list.

It may be a step too far but the Eagles could have some women on stage to help with the high harmonies. Don's already performed I Can't Tell You Why at a solo show, so that's covered.

Saying all that, I'd be as shocked as anybody to hear that Tim has left the Eagles.

No. For heaven's sake, NO. They have backing musicians doing harmonies already. They don't need female backup singers cluttering the stage even more, let alone how this would wreck their vocal blend, and how cheesy it would look. I have nothing against female backup singers for solo artists, but not for a band which is famous for its vocals more than anything.

I hate what has happened to LROOE, but there seems no point dwelling on it.