PDA

View Full Version : learning more about the eagles

SilverAcidRayne
03-23-2015, 03:37 PM
So i had a horrible bout of insomnia last night and i decided to update my spotify playlist of the eagles with some live music. and i have to say i absolutely LOVE this band even more now. King of Hollywood i love that song :thumbsup:

Ive always been a dreamer
03-23-2015, 06:16 PM
Well SAR - One thing's for sure ... the more you listen to unfamiliar Eagles' music - the more there is to love. And once you're done with that, you'll need to start on each member's solo catalog. Being a hardcore Eagles fan has a lot to offer. :partytime:

Glennsallnighter
03-27-2015, 03:07 PM
Yes, and the more you know, the more you will WANT to know!

I must say the 'After Hours' CD is incredibly relaxing and I often fall asleep listening to it.

BillBailey1976
03-31-2015, 09:59 PM
I love to listen to the deep cuts from the Eagles Albums. Sometimes I will cobble together a playlist that does NOT include any songs that I have heard live.

You are right, listening to the solo stuff, especially Don and Glenn's is great.

Tim and Joe's stuff is ok, but I think probably 1/2 or better of Glenn's and 3/4 of Don's solo stuff is Eagles Quality.

I love Glenn's "Glenn Frey Live" Album from around 92-93. His voice is top notch in this and the songs are great. (The DVD is better, has more songs) but the album is awesome.

Funk 50
04-01-2015, 06:32 AM
When the Eagles launched their HFO reunion, one thing they got a lot of credit for was, not doing medleys. Something they've stuck to ever since.

Glenn brushes through his Eagles hits with a shortened version of Peaceful Easy Feeling and a medley of Lying Eyes and Take It Easy on Glenn Frey live but does do a fabulous version of Wild Mountain Thyme.

Would have loved to experienced the British (Irish) football crowd chanting but it doesn't make good repeated listens on a CD.

I must say the 'After Hours' CD is incredibly relaxing and I often fall asleep listening to it.

I have been known to fall asleep with the radio on and then be abruptly woken up in the middle of the night by a Joe Walsh track being played.

So if I ever need to be brought out of a coma.... :)

BillBailey1976
04-01-2015, 09:05 AM
I had forgot about the Medley.....yeah that's a cringe-worthy moment. I didn't mind the shortened PEF, but that medley had major cheese on it.
I wish he'd gone ahead and played both, and left out the atrocious "Love in the 21st Century"
I really liked Smuggler's Blues and The Heat is On, from that CD. Also, not a huge fan of swapping songs, but I think he does a good job on Desperado.

UndertheWire
04-01-2015, 09:57 AM
I put After Hours on when I can't sleep and it usually works. If it doesn't, at least I'm relaxed. My fear is that if I was ever to hear the songs live, I'd nod off.
I bought Glenn Frey Live because I wanted Glenn's version of Desperado which I like nearly as much as the original. I wouldn't have been upset if the medley had been omitted altogether but I guess it was a way to deliver the expected songs without them taking up too much of the set. As he was promoting Strange Weather, I'm fine with the few new songs.

Since seeing the doc, I've bought quite a few Eagles-related CDs - partly because I can't resist a bargain and when you can get the first 6 studio albums for £16 and the 4-disc "collected works" for £7, why wouldn't you? A lot of the solo stuff is available second-hand for little more than the postage. And then there are the books... again, second-hand is good. Add in a couple of DVDs and it's still less than an Eagles concert ticket.

chaim
04-01-2015, 11:39 AM
I love the term "deep cut". It is often the more obscure songs that I love most. Queen is such a band. I love some of their hits, like We Are The Champions and Who Wants To Live Forever. But mostly I love their "deep cuts" like Tenement Funster, Nevermore, Lily Of The Valley, Drowse, White Queen, My Fairy King, Night Comes Down, Teo Torriatte, Long Away, Spread Your Wings, Princes Of The Universe.................

Eagles is interesting, because I love stuff like Take The Devil, Earlybird, Bitter Creek, JOFT, My Man etc. etc., but when I think about their hits, I love most of them too!

Funk 50
04-01-2015, 01:04 PM
I had forgot about the Medley.....yeah that's a cringe-worthy moment. I didn't mind the shortened PEF, but that medley had major cheese on it.
I wish he'd gone ahead and played both, and left out the atrocious "Love in the 21st Century"
I really liked Smuggler's Blues and The Heat is On, from that CD. Also, not a huge fan of swapping songs, but I think he does a good job on Desperado.

Funny you should mention "the atrocious Love In The 21st Century" BillBailey1976. I thought the Eagles might have performed that, after Funky New Year, during their Millennium Concert to bring in the new 21st Century. Maybe the subject matter wasn't as pure as the sentiment. :eyebrow:

Although it was released over a decade after The Long Run, I think, Love In The 21st Century has a similar guitar refrain, with a different tempo, to part of Long Run Leftovers.

Glenn Frey - Love In The 21st Century
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZYPTgF0gGk

Eagles - Long Run Leftovers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edXZ6Pb79II (at about 1min)

It crops up (3:13 minutes) in Random Victims Part 3 too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOVfwWwbi_g

:thumbsup:

Freypower
04-01-2015, 05:33 PM
I put After Hours on when I can't sleep and it usually works. If it doesn't, at least I'm relaxed. My fear is that if I was ever to hear the songs live, I'd nod off.
I bought Glenn Frey Live because I wanted Glenn's version of Desperado which I like nearly as much as the original. I wouldn't have been upset if the medley had been omitted altogether but I guess it was a way to deliver the expected songs without them taking up too much of the set. As he was promoting Strange Weather, I'm fine with the few new songs.

Since seeing the doc, I've bought quite a few Eagles-related CDs - partly because I can't resist a bargain and when you can get the first 6 studio albums for £16 and the 4-disc "collected works" for £7, why wouldn't you? A lot of the solo stuff is available second-hand for little more than the postage. And then there are the books... again, second-hand is good. Add in a couple of DVDs and it's still less than an Eagles concert ticket.

Surely not. I have seen these songs live. Nodding off was the very last thing in the world I was going to do. I have to say that putting it on to get to sleep is the last thing I would do with the album. Its relaxing, yes, but it demands attention.

As for the LE/TIE medley I saw him do it in 1988 when he was a guest with the Little River Band. Heartache Tonight was combined with LRB's The Night Owls but that worked much better than LE where he cut out half the story. It was wrong.

Freypower
04-01-2015, 05:36 PM
I love the term "deep cut". It is often the more obscure songs that I love most. Queen is such a band. I love some of their hits, like We Are The Champions and Who Wants To Live Forever. But mostly I love their "deep cuts" like Tenement Funster, Nevermore, Lily Of The Valley, Drowse, White Queen, My Fairy King, Night Comes Down, Teo Torriatte, Long Away, Spread Your Wings, Princes Of The Universe.................

Eagles is interesting, because I love stuff like Take The Devil, Earlybird, Bitter Creek, JOFT, My Man etc. etc., but when I think about their hits, I love most of them too!

Those are favourites of mine too. Perhaps we need a deep cuts of other artists thread. Then I can fill it up with Dire Straits songs.:thumbsup:

Jonny Come Lately
04-01-2015, 06:24 PM
I'd love a 'deep cuts' thread, I'd happily contribute to one by all means. When it comes to the Eagles I love both the hits and big songs and the deep cuts (by big songs I mean the likes of Desperado and In The City, which weren't singles so not really hits, but are recognised more widely than the outright deep cuts like Take The Devil and My Man to pick two of my firm personal favourites).

Interesting spot with that Long Run Leftover, F50 - I'd always noticed that that riff was used in Random Victims but not being too familiar with Glenn's solo career I didn't know that it had been 'recycled', kind of like how Joe used riffs from the Leftovers in the early 1980s on Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk) and I Told You So.

Funk 50
04-02-2015, 06:40 AM
As for the LE/TIE medley I saw him do it in 1988 when he was a guest with the Little River Band. Heartache Tonight was combined with LRB's The Night Owls but that worked much better than LE where he cut out half the story. It was wrong.

I've also heard the Lying Eyes/Take It Easy medley with solo track, Part Of You Part Of Me separating them.
I love Genesis instrumental medleys but when you have lyrics involved I think the Eagles, no medleys policy wins every time.

Interesting spot with that Long Run Leftover, F50 - I'd always noticed that that riff was used in Random Victims but not being too familiar with Glenn's solo career I didn't know that it had been 'recycled', kind of like how Joe used riffs from the Leftovers in the early 1980s on Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk) and I Told You So.

After listening to Long Run Leftovers again yesterday, I felt the urge to investigate further. There's a Felder guitar solo but it doesn't sound like Heavy Metal (You're Really High, Aren't You?), Bad Girls or Haywire.

Eagles - Long Run Leftovers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edXZ6Pb79II (at about 1min)

Freypower
04-02-2015, 05:07 PM
[quote=Funk 50;298282]I've also heard the Lying Eyes/Take It Easy medley with solo track, Part Of You Part Of Me separating them.
I love Genesis instrumental medleys but when you have lyrics involved I think the Eagles, no medleys policy wins every time.

I had forgotten that. What an utter travesty. The only tour ihe performed POMPOY & he ruined it by making it part of a medley. The solo song his fans love more than any other.

Glennsallnighter
04-10-2015, 02:27 PM
POMPOY is a rather long song clocking in at over 6 minutes so maybe thats why he leaves it out. He could fit in two other songs for only a small amount more. But I'd love to hear him sing even SOME of it live. Come to think of it, I'd just love a live show anyway!!

Freypower
04-10-2015, 06:44 PM
POMPOY is a rather long song clocking in at over 6 minutes so maybe thats why he leaves it out. He could fit in two other songs for only a small amount more. But I'd love to hear him sing even SOME of it live. Come to think of it, I'd just love a live show anyway!!

It's shorter than Lyin' Eyes. :-(

DJ
04-11-2015, 03:53 PM
I must agree on loving most of the "deep cuts'' on the all the Eagle albums. I've listened to some bands and they were indeed one hit wonders.

04-12-2015, 12:22 PM
With regard to medleys, I'm one that doesn't mind them. Now, obviously, I'd prefer to hear a song in its entirety, but, my attitude is usually that I'd rather hear something rather than nothing. :shrug:

thelastresort
04-12-2015, 12:59 PM
I don't recall ever seeing footage of it but when the guys do SBR / How Long (like they did at a couple of the Californian shows) don't they cut the last verse of the former and just go straight into the countdown at the start of How Long?

04-12-2015, 01:06 PM
tlr - They do usually cut the last verse of 7BR. However, there is a pause before they go into they go into the full version of How Long, so I don't consider it to be a medley. But FWIW, I do wish they would sing the last verse of 7BR, of course.

thelastresort
04-12-2015, 01:51 PM
tlr - They do usually cut the last verse of 7BR. However, there is a pause before they go into they go into the full version of How Long, so I don't consider it to be a medley. But FWIW, I do wish they would sing the last verse of 7BR, of course.

Ah, fair enough. That does seem a bit odd then: if they went straight into the opening chords of How Long then that would make sense but if you're going to pause and ready yourself then why not just play the final 30 seconds of the song? :eyebrow:

VAisForEagleLovers
04-12-2015, 02:04 PM
I've often wondered why they don't sing the entire thing. Before the HOTE tour, they played it all the time, the shortened version, and it was an abbreviated set list.

The pause gives them time to acknowledge the applause. Even if they went straight into How Long, the crowd would still applaud because how could they not?

sodascouts
04-13-2015, 12:36 AM
My view on medleys: if it's between hearing half the song and not hearing it at all, then I'll take half the song.

Dang, I miss Seven Bridges Road / How Long. :(

SilverAcidRayne
04-13-2015, 06:08 AM
Yes, and the more you know, the more you will WANT to know!

that is exactly whats going on. i want to know a LOT more lol you know whats weird also i did see After Hours being advertised and i didnt really pay it no mind all because i thought it was a greatest hits record. but now im excited because i have yet more material to cover :)

Funk 50
04-13-2015, 07:34 AM
When they performed Seven Bridges Road, the audience would invariably give a big cheer when the music stopped, then realise that the song hadn't ended when the band started singing the last accapella verse. This meant the cheer at the end of the song becomes a little unsure and a little more muted than the cheer before the song ended. I'm not surprised the band skip the last verse.

SilverAcidRayne
04-13-2015, 11:26 AM
When they performed Seven Bridges Road, the audience would invariably give a big cheer when the music stopped, then realise that the song hadn't ended when the band started singing the last accapella verse. This meant the cheer at the end of the song becomes a little unsure and a little more muted than the cheer before the song ended. I'm not surprised the band skip the last verse.

are there different versions of this one? i can never seem to find any. :)

Brooke
04-13-2015, 02:07 PM

That is true, F50. Whenever I hear the crowd cheering at that time I want to tell them to shut up, the song's not over! :lol: