PDA

View Full Version : Deep Cuts

Freypower
04-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Hearing one of the greatest 'deep cuts' of all time, Bad News From Home from Randy Newman's wonderful Land Of Dreams album, and discussion about this elsewhere has led me to start this topic where you can list your favourite non-Eagles deep cuts.

As Mr Newman has come up I will start with him. Apart from Bad News From Home, which I love with a passion, some others are:

You Can't Fool The Fat Man
Kathleen (Catholicism Made Easier)
Christmas In Cape Town
The Blues (with Paul Simon)
Four Eyes
New Orleans Wins The War
My Country
Big Hat, No Cattle
A Few Words In Defence Of Our Country
A Piece Of The Pie

I haven't included anything from his Songbooks Vols 1 & 2 because these all seem to be well known. At least they are well known to his fans. I haven't actually got his early albums before Little Criminals.

chaim
04-02-2015, 05:35 AM
Seems to me that Little Criminals is considered a lesser record, by even Randy himself, I think. I guess it has more to do with lyrics than music. There are some "lazy" lyrics on he album I guess, but musically it's great. You Can't Fool The Fat Man doesn't do much for me lyrically, but musically I love it. And the lyric kind of works too, because the music's so great. In Christmas In Cape Town I love the line "they love our music" when the guy in the song has mentioned "Dancing queen". I think this might be a joke, meaning that the guy doesn't seem to know that ABBA is from Sweden - or in his mind all white people are the same? The Blues is hilarious, but I think it's the only song Randy ever regretted doing. He feels it's unnecessary, because if songwriters get solace out of writing about their own life, they should be allowed to do that. Four Eyes is fantastic. New Orleans Wins The War is hilarous ("They're gonna pickle him in brandy and tell him he's saved" :hilarious:). A Piece Of The Pie is fantastic ("The rich are getting richer - I should know." :hilarious::hilarious:). Some people, probably myself included, initially thought that the Jackson Browne reference was a shot at him, but it was the opposite. Randy respects the fact that out of the songwriters from that era Jackson still seems to stand behind stuff he stood behind then.

One of my favorite Randy Newman songs is I Want You To Hurt Like I Do.

Some amazing deep cuts by other bands....

Genesis: Mad Man Moon, Evidence Of Autumn, Me And Sarah Jane, Silver Rainbow, The Brazilian
The Move: What?
Queen: Tenement Funster, plus a few dozen other songs
Procol Harum: Too Much Between Us, About To Die, For Liquorice John, This World Is Rich, The Thin End Of The Wedge
YES: South Of Side Of The Sky (which fortunately isn't as deep a cut anymore as it used to be), Astral Traveller
Moody Blues: Out And In, Eternity Road, Candle Of Life, Twilight Time, Sunset, Veteran Cosmic Rocker, Running Water, Want To Be With You (to name a few)
KISS: Strange Ways, Coming Home, Anything For My Baby, Baby Driver, Mr. Speed, Almost Human, Larger Than Life, Charisma, Dirty Livin', Naked City, Just A Boy, A World Without Heroes, Under The Rose, Partners In Crime, Saint And Sinner, Killer, Not for The Innocent, Young And Wasted, While The City Sleeps, Secretly Cruel, Good Girl Gone Bad, Hell Or High Water, Betrayed, Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell, The street Giveth And The Street Taketh Away, Seduction Of The Innocent, I Confess, Childhood's End...:)
Pink Floyd: Let There Be More Light, Sysyphus (the Ummagumma version), The Narrow Way (especially the song part), Green Is The Colour, Cymbaline, Crying Song, A Pillow Of Winds, Burning Bridges, The Final Cut, The Gunner's Dream...
David Bowie: After All, Wild-Eyed Boy From Freecloud, Cygnet Committee, Sweet Thing, Lady Grinning Soul, Win, She'll Drive the Big Car, Always Crashing In The Same Car, Scream Like A Baby...oh there are SO many......
Beatles: Glass Onion, Hey Bulldog, Dig A Pony, Blue Jay Way, I Need You, She's Leaving Home, Because

I won't even start on Neil Young!
(I'll probably add more...)

UndertheWire
04-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Pink Floyd - Grantchester Meadows (Ummagumma)
It conjures up that hot, lazy afternoon even down to the swatting of a fly.

NightMistBlue
04-02-2015, 02:01 PM
"Awaken" by Yes, a multi-climactic epic to end all epics. Most prog music leaves me kinda cold, but not Yes. I think it's because, while they're technically brilliant musicians, they don't neglect the emotional and melodic aspects of the songs.

Freypower
04-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Only one per artist?

Then I should mention my favourite Mark Knopfler deep track, Silvertown Blues, which is from Sailing To Philadephia & has never been played live. I love it so much I regard it as my 3rd favourite of his songs after Why Aye Man & Sailing To Philadelphia itself.

If you want to hear Phil Collins still In The Air Tonight, i.e. dark & cynical & more like Gabriel, I recommend Thru These Walls from Hello I Must Be Going!

I would nominate That Voice Again from So for Gabriel himself, along with Washing Of The Water from Us.

WalshFan88
04-02-2015, 09:26 PM
How about one per top 10 favorite artists!

Rolling Stones: Monkey Man

AC/DC: Have A Drink On Me

Aerosmith: Lord Of The Thighs

Lynyrd Skynyrd: On The Hunt

Led Zeppelin: Houses Of The Holy (arguable, but to me it's underrated)

Fleetwood Mac: Second Hand News

Guns N' Roses: Mr. Brownstone

Heart: Heartless

Journey: Anytime

Def Leppard: Animal

Jonny Come Lately
04-03-2015, 04:39 AM
I'll try and cover a few of my main favourites first as I feel I have quite a lot to say about them, I might do some others later.

Dire Straits - The debut album has some great deep cuts, the pick of the bunch to my mind being In The Gallery and Six Blade Knife. Communique has Where Do You Think You're Going? and Single Handed Sailor, while I've always though that Angel Of Mercy should have been released as the album's single rather than Lady Writer (excellent song, just a bit too similar to Sultans Of Swing, I don't mind but I think it was seen that way at the time). Four of the tracks on Making Movies seven tracks made it onto the Alchemy live album plus Skateaway was a single so that really leaves only Hand In Hand as a strong album cut. On Love Over Gold I love It Never Rains while Brothers In Arms has Ride Across The River and Man's Too Strong. On Every Street I feel is not that strong away from the singles although it does have How Long. As for Sailing To Philadelphia I agree that Silvertown Blues is a great track and would also add Baloney Again, Prairie Wedding, Speedway At Nazareth and One More Matinee.

Fleetwood Mac - When it comes to Fleetwood Mac I must admit I find it quite difficult to think of any of the songs on Rumours as 'deep cuts' - even non-singles like Never Going Back Again and Songbird get a fair bit of airplay in my experience. The only two which I could consider to be deep cuts are I Don't Wanna Know and Oh Daddy - I love all the songs on Rumours though so I'll take those two. I love Second Hand News but it just doesn't feel like a deep cut to me. On The self-titled/White Album the best deep songs are Monday Morning, Warm Ways and Crystal, while on Tusk I will highlight What Makes You Think You're The One, Storms and Beautiful Child. Wish You Were Here on Mirage is a song I like quite a lot and I think it is stronger than some of the singles (in the UK Oh Diane was released as a single, a poor choice in my view) The only strong songs on Tango In The Night are the radio tracks, it doesn't have much depth beyond that IMO.

Led Zeppelin - I have some difficulty in defining deep cuts as they didn't release singles in the UK. I'm not sure there are any true deep cuts on Led Zeppelin II or Houses of the Holy. The two albums where I think I can make the clearest distinction - one Led Zeppelin III, where I think there is a case for considering all of the songs other than Immigrant Song or Since I've Been Loving You to be deep. Tangerine, Friends/Celebration Day, Gallows Pole and That's The Way are all pretty great in my book. The other is Physical Graffiti where the pre-1974 tracks like The Rover, Houses of the Holy and Bron-Yr-Aur (to name my three favourites) seem deeper and less widely recognised than the all new songs (Trampled Under Foot, Kashmir etc). Other songs which I would suggest might be considered as quality deep tracks include Your Time Is Gonna Come/Black Mountain Side (LZ I), The Battle Of Evermore (LZ IV) and For Your Life (Presence).

Neil Young - Also mainly orientated towards albums rather than singles and therefore I tend to think of his biggest songs as being the ones that appear most frequently on live releases (the likes of Cortez The Killer, Powderfinger or The Needle And The Damage Done) although he did some hits like Heart Of Gold. Round And Round and Running Dry from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere are quite powerful. The most underrated song on After The Gold Rush to my mind is Don't Let It Bring You Down, a song that is just the right length and has a great melody, while on Harvest I love Out On The Weekend. Pardon My Heart from Zuma is a great little song, it has a narrative which progresses well and the contrast between the electric and acoustic guitars adds a lot. From Freedom I really like El Dorado, Wrecking Ball and Too Far Gone, while on Harvest Moon I rate War Of Man very highly. I haven't mentioned all the albums I own as an record like On The Beach I consider to be made up of 'equals' with no songs hogging attention especially.

Pink Floyd - Have some great overlooked songs but mainly in the 1969-72 era. I agree with UndertheWire's pick of Grantchester Meadows, an excellent acoustic song on an album otherwise consisting of largely unstructured experiments. The three shorter songs on Atom Heart Mother are all strong with David Gilmour's Fat Old Sun being my favourite (I love the feel of Roger Waters' If though) while Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is IMO very enjoyable and is far more musical than its title suggests - the middle section features some gorgeous steel guitar. On Meddle I absolutely love Fearless which I cannot recommend highly enough (especially to fans of Liverpool FC), A Pillow Of Winds is also excellent. Their soundtrack albums More and Obscured By Clouds are poorly known outside the Pink Floyd fanbase. In the case of the latter, with the possible exception of the single Free Four, it can be argued that the album is made up entirely of deep cuts. My favourites are Burning Bridges and its instrumental counterpart Mudmen, Wot's... Uh the Deal and Childhood's End. From the former, Cymbaline is a great song and I also like Green Is The Colour and Crying Song.

As for the early days, the best overlooked song on Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is to my mind The Gnome while Let There Be More Light and Remember A Day from A Saucerful Of Secrets are also excellent and worthy of more attention than they get. In their early years Pink Floyd tended to release their singles like Arnold Layne or See Emily Play separately and these did not appear on their studio albums so deep cuts become more theoretical (effectively I consider these two album's best known songs Astronomy Domine and Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun to be the 'singles').

Conversely, Wish You Were Here is an album devoid of deep cuts, with all four songs being well known and widely recognised. The same holds true for Animals except that the lack of an obvious single meant that none of the songs have become widely recognised. The Dark Side Of The Moon does have the underrated instrumental Any Colour You Like, but that's it. On The Run is more of a sound collage than a song, and all the others are quite famous. On The Wall however I think there are a number of songs which are great but are clearly deeper than the radio tracks, with the standouts including In The Flesh (both versions), Goodbye Blue Sky, One Of My Turns and Nobody Home. I will overlook the 1980s albums (The Final Cut is with a few exceptions close to being a Roger Waters solo album, A Momentary Lapse of Reason is a David Gilmour album in all bar name) and skip to The Division Bell where I love Poles Apart, Marooned and Coming Back To Life and regard them as superior to the singles Keep Talking and Take It Back which are actually two of the weaker tracks.

I considered including Bob Dylan in this section however I only really have his most famous and highly rated albums and when you look at a record like Highway 61 Revisited almost all of these songs have considerable cultural significance (see, for example, Steely Dan naming their first album 'Can't Buy A Thrill' after a lyric from It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry). I might give this some more thought as there are probably a few overlooked tracks I can name even from the five albums I own.

Freypower
04-03-2015, 06:27 PM
OK, I will try Austin's suggestion of one deep track per favourite artist. Then I might try a deep track from my 20 favourite albums.

Beatles

This would appear impossible. My favourite, however, is One After 909 from Let It Be. This was written in the early 60s but not recorded until Let It Be. Thank God it was because it's one of the most joyful things they ever did.

Dire Straits

I considered One World, but I went with News from the first album. This little gem about a man who doesn't listen to his wife & ends up as 'a line in the news' is never talked about.

Mark Knopfler

I will cheat here, having already mentioned Silvertown Blues. It's The Trawlerman's Song from Shangri-La. It's just beautiful.

Rolling Stones

I will go with my first instinct which is Worried About You from Tattoo You. I agree that Monkey Man is a perfect deep cut, but it's not a particular favourite.

Led Zeppelin

Oh, I don't know. The temptation is to say The Battle Of Evermore but I won't. I will say Night Flight from Physical Graffiti.

Bob Dylan

Black Diamond Bay from Desire.

Elton John

I want to say Grimsby from Caribou. I will settle for (Gotta Get A) Meal Ticket from Captain Fantastic.

Van Morrison

Alan Watts Blues from Poetic Champions Compose.

Genesis

Driving The Last Spike from We Can't Dance.

Neil Young

I don't listen to him as much as I used to, but for me it's Wrecking Ball from Freedom.

chaim
04-04-2015, 04:57 AM

:rockguitar: :thumbsup: Although I don't consider it a deep cut. Seems to me they always played it, at least during the "Slash era".

WalshFan88
04-05-2015, 11:07 PM
You'll notice that most of my choices are mildly deep cuts. Mostly because I'm a performer and a hits guy. I like the stuff I grew up hearing on radio and in the house and for whatever reason never burn out on them.

chaim
04-06-2015, 02:50 PM
You'll notice that most of my choices are mildly deep cuts. Mostly because I'm a performer and a hits guy. I like the stuff I grew up hearing on radio and in the house and for whatever reason never burn out on them.

I don't know most of those songs, but Animal is indeed a rather well known song. And a GREAT one.

AlreadyGone95
06-13-2015, 12:04 AM
Doing one per artist, top 15:
Band- song (album)

Bad Company - Electricland (Rough Diamonds)
Fleetwood Mac- Everywhere (Tango in the Night)
Free- Wishing Well (Heartbreaker)
Def Leppard - Gods of War (Hysteria)
Van Halen- Don't Tell me What Love Can Do (Balance)
Stephen Stills- Sit Yourself Down (Stephen Stills)
Styx- Crystal Ball (Crystal Ball)
Iron Maiden- Murders In the Rue Morgue (Killers)
AC-DC - Thunderstruck ( Razors Edge)
Genesis- No Son of Mine (We can't Dance)
Lynyrd Skynyrd- Ballad of Curtis Loew (Second Helping)
Elton John - Levon (Madman Across the Water)
Rush- Subdivisions (Signals)
Judas Priest- the Green Manilishi (Unleashed in the East)
Eric Clapton- Bad Love (Journeyman)

Jonny Come Lately
06-14-2015, 06:13 PM
I don't tend to think of Fleetwood Mac's Everywhere as being a deep cut - the singles from Tango In The Night probably receive the most airplay in the UK of any Mac album bar Rumours. It and Little Lies are amongst the best known FM songs in the UK, possibly the most popular outside the Rumours era. I don't know enough about the US situation to comment although I suspect if you mainly listen to classic rock stations then the singles from Tango In The Night are less likely be to played than those from the mid-to-late 1970s FM albums.

However, I am delighted that you included The Ballad Of Curtis Loew in your list, a song which I love and which is probably in my top 5 Lynyrd Skynyrd songs (I only own the first two albums in MP3 format, really like them though - I noticed a vinyl box set of their pre-crash records was released, really hope they do a CD version, it would be exactly what I want). I believe the lyrics were based on Ronnie Van Zant's own experiences and it was great of him to write about how the bluesman inspired him as a kid. It was not only a fantastic tribute to Curtis but also to the Afro-Caribbean bluesmen in general who have inspired so much of the best rock music of the last 50-60 years.

AlreadyGone95
06-14-2015, 07:15 PM
I don't tend to think of Fleetwood Mac's Everywhere as being a deep cut - the singles from Tango In The Night probably receive the most airplay in the UK of any Mac album bar Rumours. It and Little Lies are amongst the best known FM songs in the UK, possibly the most popular outside the Rumours era. I don't know enough about the US situation to comment although I suspect if you mainly listen to classic rock stations then the singles from Tango In The Night are less likely be to played than those from the mid-to-late 1970s FM albums.

However, I am delighted that you included The Ballad Of Curtis Loew in your list, a song which I love and which is probably in my top 5 Lynyrd Skynyrd songs (I only own the first two albums in MP3 format, really like them though - I noticed a vinyl box set of their pre-crash records was released, really hope they do a CD version, it would be exactly what I want). I believe the lyrics were based on Ronnie Van Zant's own experiences and it was great of him to write about how the bluesman inspired him as a kid. It was not only a fantastic tribute to Curtis but also to the Afro-Caribbean bluesmen in general who have inspired so much of the best rock music of the last 50-60 years.

Here, only songs from the 1975 self titled and Rumours get airplay. It's like those arethe only 2 albums F Mac did. I was torn between Everywhere and I'm So Afraid. I prefer hearing a live version of I'm so Afraid, so that's why I went with Everywhere.

Curtis Loew is a song that I've loved since I first heard it. I love the storytelling aspect of it, not to mention the music. I don't know about there in England, but here in the states, it's easy to buy the albums on cd, but I don't know about a box set

Jonny Come Lately
06-16-2015, 04:03 AM
The two Fleetwood Mac albums which receive the most airplay in the US are my two favourites. :)

I'm not a great fan of Tango In The Night unfortunately, the singles are all good pop songs but I find that most of the rest hasn't aged well. I think it has a bit too much of a generic 1980s pop sound, it just doesn't really have the band's sound (Mirage isn't a great record either as far as I'm concerned but it does sound like a Mac record, as the music is defined by Lindsey's guitar and Christine's piano rather than synthesisers).

I'm So Afraid is definitely better live than the studio version - I have the 2 CD Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac which I was given as a Christmas present several years ago and it has the 1997 live version from The Dance album, which beats the original studio recording hands down IMO. The guitar solos Lindsey plays live are much better and I've never understood why he sung so high on the studio version - he sounds higher than usual, which I find jarring on one of their hardest rockers. High male voices only work on hard rock songs IMO if the singer screams like Ian Gillan or Robert Plant, if the singer sings 'normally' in a high voice then I think it sounds weird and dilutes the song.

(This has given me an idea for a new contribution to the Listography thread.)

When I was in my nearest HMV last week I actually checked both the Fleetwood Mac and Lynyrd Skynyrd sections, purely out of curiosity. The two FM albums which they had the most copies of were Rumours and Tango, they also had the self-titled/White album, The Dance live album and several of the pre-Rumours line up Peter Green albums (I am far from being an expert on this era), as well as compilations for both the Green and Buckingham/Nicks versions of the band. They did not have Tusk or Mirage IIRC. When it came to Skynyrd there were again a couple of compilations but the only studio albums I remember seeing were the two I already own and Street Survivors. I think it's fairly safe to say that FM are better known in the UK than Skynyrd, for the latter only a few songs are widely recognised (Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama mainly) whereas most people here know a decent number of Mac songs and they continue to receive regular airplay.

AlreadyGone95
06-16-2015, 11:47 AM
I agree that Tango is not one of their best albums. Imo, Everywhere 8s the best song on the album, and the one that has stood the test of time the best. I do love Lindsey doing Big Love acoustically by himself as well. Mirage, on the other hand, has one of my top 5 F Mac songs and possibly my favorite music video,too, Gypsy. I love that song. My favorite album is Rumours, and it's also my favorite album of any artist.

I do like the album version of I'm so Afraid, but I agree with the voice thing. If you haven't heard it, watch this version of I'mso Afraid from Live in Boston (2004) https://youtu.be/TDwg28bSjoI
. It's my favorite live version.

Skynyrd are definitely more popular here. I'm only 4-5 hours away from Jacksonville, Florida(where they are from). Heck, they've even played the local city at least once. I have no problem finding anything by them. I even found the first Rossington Collins album on vinyl a few weeks ago! The Rumours era of Fleetwood Mac is pretty popular here as well, but I have to search harder for their other albums.

Jonny Come Lately
06-17-2015, 07:14 AM
I love Gypsy as well, it's always been of my favourites. The Mirage album is alright IIRC, Gypsy is the standout but unusually for me I actually probably like Christine's songs best - I like Wish You Were Here quite a lot and Hold Me is pretty enjoyable as well (I like Lindsey's guitar) - but a couple of the tracks aren't too impressive, with a couple of Lindsey's tracks such as Oh Diane and Book Of Love being a bit disappointing, especially compared to his superb contributions to Rumours. I don't think I've listened to anything from it bar Gypsy and the couple of others I mentioned though in the last two years or so though.

I have to agree on Rumours being FM's best album, and it is probably the single album I have heard the most in my lifetime as my parents played it a lot when I was a child (they tell me I used to go to sleep when they put it on when I was a baby) and for a couple of years it was really the only album I enjoyed listening to. My favourite song is The Chain (which is partially due to the use of the outro as the BBC's Formula One music - McVie's bass solo and Lindsey's explosive guitar capture the feeling of a Grand Prix start perfectly) although you can't go wrong with any of them. It wouldn't quite come top of my personal list although I'm fairly sure it would be in the top 10.

I mentioned my favourite Fleetwood Mac deep cuts on the first page of this thread - I would say that most of my favourite songs by them are from the self-titled, Rumours and Tusk (which I am ambivalent about as a whole but the best songs from it as are as good as anything they've done).

AlreadyGone95
06-17-2015, 03:38 PM
It's been awhile since I listened to Mirage as well. None of the songs can top Gypsy, though.

The Chain is also my favorite Fleetwood Mac song. I can remember being 8 years old and loving John Mcvie's bass part in the middle. (Though I only heard on radio and not on tv while watching the US's different types of racing).

Tusk would've been a great single album (sorta like LROOE ). The best songs are top notch, but song are just "really guys, that's all you can come up with?".

Christine's songs have stood the test of time the best, I think. Her songs never sound dated.

WS82Classics
05-11-2016, 12:39 AM
This will be quite a lengthy list, as I have listened to a great many albums in the past few years and have always thought that deep cuts told more of the story behind an artist and his/her music than most hits can.

AC/DC: "Rock and Roll Singer," "Ride On," "Gone Shootin'," "Kicked in the Teeth," "Girl's Got Rhythm," and "Night Prowler."

Allman Brothers Band: "Little Martha" and "Pony Boy."

Bad Company: "The Way I Choose," "Seagull," "Morning Sun," and "Like Water."

Beatles: "I Need You," "If I Needed Someone," "Love You To," "Here There & Everywhere," "Doctor Robert," "I Want to Tell You," "Getting Better," "Fixing a Hole," "Baby You're a Rich Man," "Wild Honey Pie," "Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill," "Long Long Long," "Old Brown Shoe," "Only a Northern Song," "It's All Too Much," and "Octopus' Garden."
George Harrison: "If Not for You," "This Song," "Beautiful Girl," "Faster," "That's the Way it Goes," "That's What it Takes," and "Pisces Fish."
John Lennon: "Tight A$" and "Nobody Loves You When You're Down and Out."
Paul McCartney: "Rockestra Theme."

Blood, Sweat, & Tears: "Sometimes in Winter."

Boston: "It's Easy" and "A Man I'll Never Be."

Byrds: "I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better," "Mr. Spaceman," and "Have You Seen Her Face?"

Cream: "Wrapping Paper," "Sweet Wine," "Blue Condition," "SWLABR," "Passing the Time," "Pressed Rat & Warthog," "Those Were the Days," "Anyone for Tennis?," and "Doing that Scrapyard Thing."
Eric Clapton: "The Core."
Jack Bruce: "Rope Ladder to the Moon," "Escape to the Royal Wood(on Ice)," and "You Burned the Tables on Me."

CCR: "Long as I Can See the Light," "Chameleon," and "(Wish I Could) Hideaway."

Deep Purple: "Smooth Dancer" and "Maybe I'm a Leo."

Doors: "I Looked at You," "Tell All the People," "Easy Ride," "Wild Child," "Running Blue," "Wishful Sinful," "The Changeling," "Been Down So Long," and "Texas Radio and the Big Beat."

Eagles: "Chug All Night," "Train Leaves Here This Morning," "Outlaw Man," "Bitter Creek," "You Never Cry Like a Lover," "Midnight Flyer," "My Man," "Ol' 55," "Good Day in Hell," "Too Many Hands," "Hollywood Waltz," "Journey of the Sorcerer," "Visions," "After the Thrill is Gone," "I Wish You Peace," "Wasted Time," "Last Resort," "King of Hollywood," "The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks," "Sad Cafe," "Life's Been Good(from 'Eagles Live')," "New Kid in Town(also from 'Eagles Live')," and "Tequila Sunrise(from HFO)."
Glenn Frey: "This Way to Happiness," "Party Town," "I Found Somebody," and "I Got Love."
Joe Walsh: "County Fair," "At the Station," "Indian Summer," "Down on the Farm," "Rivers of the Hidden Funk," "Rockets," "I Can Play that Rock and Roll," "Told You So," "The Worry Song," "Space Age Whiz Kids," "Rosewood Bitters," "Gamma-Goochee," "Shut Up," "Fairbanks AK," and "Vote for Me."

ELO: "Fire on High."

ELP: "The Barbarian," "Take a Pebble," "The Three Fates," "The Endless Enigma," and "Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman."

Fleetwood Mac: "Emerald Eyes."

Foghat: "Got to Get to Know You," "Fool's Hall of Fame," "Couldn't Make Her Stay," "Step Outside," "Fly By Night," "My Babe," "Stone Blue," and "Choo Choo Ch-Boogie."

Grand Funk Railroad: "Footstompin' Music," "People Let's Stop the War," and "Save the Land."

Grateful Dead: "Beat it on Down the Line" and "Candy Man."

Guns 'N' Roses: "Night Train."

Iron Butterfly: "Soul Experience."

Led Zeppelin: "How Many More Times?," "Bring it on Home," "Out on the Tiles," "That's the Way," "The Rover," "In the Evening," "Hot Dog," and "Carouselambra."

Gordon Lightfoot: "Minstrel of the Dawn," "Approaching Lavender," "Circle of Steel," "Seven Island Suite," and "Race Among the Ruins."

Lynyrd Skynyrd: "Poison Whiskey," "The Needle and the Spoon," "Railroad Song," "All I Can Do is Write About it," "Crossroads(live)," "One More Time," and "I Never Dreamed."

Manassas(with Stephen Stills and Chris Hillman): "It Doesn't Matter."

Moody Blues: "Legend of a Mind," "Om," "Candle of Life," "Floating," "Lazy Day," "New Horizons," and "You and Me."

Alan Parsons Project: "In the Lap of the Gods."

Tom Petty: "King's Road," "Rebels," "Don't Bring Me Down(live)," "Jamming Me," "The Damage You've Done," "A Self-Made Man," "Love is a Long Road," "A Face in the Crowd," "Yer So Bad," "Zombie Zoo," "King's Highway," "The Dark of the Sun," "Wildflowers," "To Find a Friend," "Room at the Top," "Lonesome Sundown," "Accused of Love," and "Echo."

Pink Floyd: "Apples and Oranges," "If," "Fat Old Sun," "A Pillow of Winds," "Stay," "Pigs on the Wing," and "Wearing the Inside Out."

Elvis Presley: "Yoga is as Yoga Does," "The Love Machine," and "Riding the Rainbow."

Gerry Rafferty: "Mattie's Rag," "Island," and "Get it Right Next Time."

Ramones: "Cretin Hop," "Here Today Gone Tomorrow," "Locket Love," "I Don't Care," "Do You Wanna Dance?" "I Wanted Everything," "Don't Come Close," "Needles and Pins," "All's Quiet on the Eastern Front," "Don't Go," and "It's Not My Place(in the 9 to 5 World)."

REM: "Pretty Persuasion," "Don't Go Back to Rockville," "Welcome to the Occupation," New Orleans Instrumentals 1 & 2, and "Crush With Eyeliner."

REO Speedwagon: "Let Me Ride," "Whiskey Night," "Without Expression(Don't Be the Man)," "Give Me a Ride(Roller Coaster)," "Sky Blues," "You Can Fly," "Lost in a Dream," "Out of Control," "River of Life," "Dream Weaver," and "Rock and Roll Star."

Rolling Stones: "Citadel," "In Another Land," and "You Got the Silver."

Ten Years After: "Sugar the Road," "Working on the Road," "50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain," "Year 3,000 Blues," "Baby Won't You Let Me Rock and Roll You?," "Let the Sky Fall," "Religion," "Nowhere to Run," "Positive Vibrations," "Stone Me," and "Without You."

Traffic: "Hidden Treasure," "Many a Mile to Freedom," and "Roll Right Stones."

Uriah Heep: "July Morning."

The Who: "The Good's Gone," "Tommy Overture," "Acid Queen," "Welcome," "Postcard" and "Slip Kid."

Neil Young: "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere" and "Out on the Weekend."

Freypower
05-11-2016, 06:52 PM
I could comment on a few of those. Regarding the Beatles I wouldn't call Here, There & Everywhere deep - I would choose For No-One instead. Love Doctor Robert. The other songs are all great choices. I would possibly go for I've Got A Feeling & You Know My Name (Look Up The Number).

For Led Zeppelin the last five tracks you listed are among my favourites. I would maybe add Tea For One - a song which is rarely mentioned.

Love all three of the Gerry Rafferty songs. I would add The Royal Mile.

I had the immense privilege of seeing the Rolling Stones play You Got The Silver in 2014. Add anything from A Bigger Bang - Laugh, I Nearly Died is a good one.

If I may, as I become more familiar with early Genesis I can now add a couple of deep tracks by them: Can-Utility & the Coastliners, The Chamber of 32 Doors, Lilywhite Lilith.

DJ
05-12-2016, 12:00 AM
How about one per top 10 favorite artists!

Rolling Stones: Monkey Man

AC/DC: Have A Drink On Me

Aerosmith: Lord Of The Thighs

Lynyrd Skynyrd: On The Hunt

Led Zeppelin: Houses Of The Holy (arguable, but to me it's underrated)

Fleetwood Mac: Second Hand News

Heart: Heartless

Journey: Anytime

Def Leppard: Animal

Austin, we have very similar taste. I'm just 2nd Hand News, just 2nd Hand News.....Yah! :rockguitar:

MortSahlFan
05-12-2016, 09:51 AM
Pink Floyd - Grantchester Meadows (Ummagumma)
It conjures up that hot, lazy afternoon even down to the swatting of a fly.

Did you ever see Roger AND David doing it? Best one is on KQED, sure it's still on youtube.

I never knew the song "Too Much Between Us" - thanks! I'll proceed to listen, I love this thread.... Now what for me to put..

Supertramp - Words Unpsoken
John Lennon - Out The Blue
Paul McCartney - Old Siam, Sir
Pink Floyd - Wot's... Uh The Deal
David Bowie - Lady Grinning Soul
ELO - Rain Is Falling

Please keep them coming! Every great song makes life happier :)

WS82Classics
05-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Atlanta Rhythm Section: "Neon Nights."
Beatles: "Rain" and "The Inner Light."
Blind Faith: "Presence of the Lord."
Box Tops: "The Door You Closed to Me."
Buffalo Springfield: The full 9 minute version of "Bluebird."
Eric Carmen: The full 7 minute version(classical jams and all) of "All By Myself."
CSN: "49 Bye-Byes."
Deep Purple: "Lazy."
Derek & the Dominoes: "Key to the Highway."
Bob Dylan: "Joey."
ELO: "Boy Blue."
Foghat: "That'll Be the Day" and "Take Me to the River."
David Gilmour: "Mihalis" and "So Far Away."
James Gang: "Tend My Garden."
Billy Joel: "Miami 2017."
Dee Dee King: "Funky Man."
Don McLean: "Winter Wood."
Moody Blues: "A Simple Game," "Beyond," "Eternity Road," and "The Dreamer."
Tom Petty: "It Ain't Nothin' to Me," "Needles & Pins(live)," and "Built to Last."
Pretty Things: "Walking Through My Dreams."
Rolling Stones: "Rocks Off" and "Rip This Joint."
Thin Lizzy: "Romeo and the Lonely Girl" and "Emerald."
Thunderclap Newman: "Hollywood #1," "Accidents," and "Wild Country."
Traveling Wilbury's: "Rattled."
T. Rex: "Raw Ramp."
Joe Walsh: "All-Night Laundromat Blues."
Who: "The Song is Over" and "Now I'm a Farmer."
Richard Wright(Pink Floyd Keyboardist): "Against the Odds," "Summer Elegy," and "Waves."
Neil Young: "Don't Cry No Tears," "Danger Bird," and "Barstool Blues."

NightMistBlue
05-12-2016, 02:07 PM
I even found the first Rossington Collins album on vinyl a few weeks ago!

Dale Krantz has an amazing voice, doesn't she? "Don't Misunderstand Me" and "Opportunity" are killer.

AlreadyGone95
05-12-2016, 02:48 PM
Dale Krantz has an amazing voice, doesn't she? "Don't Misunderstand Me" and "Opportunity" are killer.

Yes, she does. The whole album is great.

Looking at my list that I posted last year, I think that I wouldn't change any of the songs.

Freypower
05-12-2016, 05:26 PM
Did you ever see Roger AND David doing it? Best one is on KQED, sure it's still on youtube.

I never knew the song "Too Much Between Us" - thanks! I'll proceed to listen, I love this thread.... Now what for me to put..

Supertramp - Words Unpsoken
John Lennon - Out The Blue
Paul McCartney - Old Siam, Sir
Pink Floyd - Wot's... Uh The Deal
David Bowie - Lady Grinning Soul
ELO - Rain Is Falling

Please keep them coming! Every great song makes life happier :)

I thought I was the only person in the world who knew & loved Old Siam, Sir - 'she waited round in Walthamstow'! I like Rain Is Falling as well. And you mention Rocks Off in another posts. What a great song. I don't have time now but will post more later.

NOLA
05-13-2016, 08:20 AM
A few random favorites:

Beatles - "Yes It Is," "Revolution 1," and "Cry Baby Cry"
Bob Dylan - "Meet Me in the Morning"
Hootie & The Blowfish - "Honeyscrew" and "Fool"
Led Zeppelin - "Hots on for Nowhere"
Stone Temple Pilots - "Meatplow" and "Pretty Penny"
U2 - "Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World"
The Who - "Naked Eye," "Trick of the Light," and "Cook's County"
Wings - "Arrow Through Me"

NightMistBlue
05-13-2016, 01:05 PM
Bahh! I love "Arrow Through Me." That was a huge radio hit back in the day, but one never hears it. I imagine even McCartney has forgotten it.

MortSahlFan
05-13-2016, 01:32 PM
I thought I was the only person in the world who knew & loved Old Siam, Sir - 'she waited round in Walthamstow'! I like Rain Is Falling as well. And you mention Rocks Off in another posts. What a great song. I don't have time now but will post more later.

I also thought I was the only one! Interesting thing is I found out that song right before I went backpacking overseas, where I eventually went to Siam, (Thailand)

I have friends who are long-time fans, and they don't know the song.. Great riff, I can never get sick of it!

A few more...
The Carpenters - Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft
Supertramp - Waiting So Long
CCR- Ramble Tamble
Bob Marley - High Tide or Low Tide
Steely Dan - Kind Spirit
Neil Young - Revolution Blues
Genesis - Dancin' With the Moonlight Knight
Fleetwood Mac - The Green Manalishi

Freypower
05-13-2016, 07:13 PM
Thanks for mentioning Dancing With The Moonlight Knigt MSB.

Elton John:

First Episode At Hienton
Texan Love Song
Dirty Little GIrl
Tower Of Babel
Sartorial Eloquence
Goodbye Marlon Brando
Whipping Boy
Look Ma, No Hands

LuvTim
05-13-2016, 08:34 PM
Thanks for mentioning Dancing With The Moonlight Knigt MSB.

Elton John:

First Episode At Hienton
Texan Love Song
Dirty Little GIrl
Tower Of Babel
Sartorial Eloquence
Goodbye Marlon Brando
Whipping Boy
Look Ma, No Hands

Love Tower of Babel! Was just playing CFATBDC album yesterday! 😃

WS82Classics
05-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Elton John-wise, "Grimsby," "You're So Static," and "Ticking," all from the 'Caribou' album, are interesting deep tracks.

His fairly obscure version of "Pinball Wizard" is both funny and surreal at the same time. B-sides "Cold Highway" and "Sick City" are also good.

Have 'Captain Fantastic' on LP, and have been meaning to get around to listening to that one for a while.

Jonny Come Lately
05-14-2016, 10:57 AM
I won't be doing a revised list just yet, but I should be able to participate more fully in this discussion in a couple of weeks time when my life is less hectic. What I will say now is that I think some absolutely great deep cuts have been mentioned since the thread was restarted.

Neil Young: "Don't Cry No Tears," "Danger Bird," and "Barstool Blues."

Very glad to see these get a mention! I love the Zuma album, which I find tends to be somewhat forgotten amongst the other classic Neil Young albums (save for the rightly praised Cortez the Killer) even though it offers a very strong set of songs. When I went to see Neil play with Crazy Horse in Liverpool in 2014 he played Don't Cry No Tears and Barstool Blues and I loved both. I see you mentioned the title song from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere and Out On The Weekend - these are also favourites of mine.

With Led Zeppelin, this is a bit naughty as it's strictly a B-side not a deep cut but I definitely want to mention Hey Hey, What Can I Do (originally released on the Immigrant Song single), which is a great track. I really like For Your Life from Presence (great riff). From Physical Graffiti, I absolutely love The Wanton Song and I think Bron-Yr-Aur is just beautiful. I also don't think Your Time Is Gonna Come and What Is And What Should Never Be (in both cases, I love the dynamics, especially the latter) get the praise they should.

Of the early Genesis songs mentioned, I like Can-Utility and the Coastliners a lot. I also think Moonlit Knight is great although I don't personally consider it to be a deep cut, as it is effectively the title track of the Selling England by the Pound album. The only real difference between it and Hotel California (the song) is that it wasn't released as a single, both are equally important to their respective records, whereas Can-Utility is a track that most people wouldn't immediately think of when they think of the band, more like say Bitter Creek or King of Hollywood.

I'll revisit some of the other artists I like when I have a bit more time, so watch this space!

NOLA
05-14-2016, 01:31 PM
With Led Zeppelin, this is a bit naughty as it's strictly a B-side not a deep cut but I definitely want to mention Hey Hey, What Can I Do (originally released on the Immigrant Song single), which is a great track.
JCL, it's one of my favorites, too. Hootie & The Blowfish did a good cover of the song, and I listen to it quite frequently. They've also played it in concert from time to time.

NightMistBlue
05-14-2016, 03:03 PM
I was going to object about calling Elton's cover of Pinball Wizard obscure, but I checked the Billboard reference book of Top 40 songs and much to my surprise it wasn't even top 40. I could have sworn that everything Elton released in the 70s in the U.S. went to the top of the charts.
Anyway, his version of PB is brilliant.
Another obscure Elton fave of mine is House of Cards. I believe it was the B-side to Someone Saved My Life Tonight.

MortSahlFan
05-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Steely Dan - Kind Spirit
John Lennon - Aisumasen
Fleetwood Mac - Man of the World
The Who - 905
Pink Floyd - Stay
Paul McCartney & Wings - Backwards Traveller
Bob Marley - Pimper's Paradise

Annoying Twit
05-23-2016, 07:00 AM
David Bowie: After All, Wild-Eyed Boy From Freecloud, Cygnet Committee, Sweet Thing, Lady Grinning Soul, Win, She'll Drive the Big Car, Always Crashing In The Same Car, Scream Like A Baby...oh there are SO many......

For Bowie, "The Buddha of Suburbia" could be said to be a deep album. Very few know it, but IMHO it's very good.

UndertheWire
05-23-2016, 11:26 AM
For Bowie, "The Buddha of Suburbia" could be said to be a deep album. Very few know it, but IMHO it's very good.
I had no idea David Bowie did the soundtrack for that tv series, even though I watched it.

Annoying Twit
05-23-2016, 12:13 PM
I had no idea David Bowie did the soundtrack for that tv series, even though I watched it.

The album is mainly a 'regular' album of songs, rather than incidental soundtrack music. Full of excellent, IMHO, songs like "Untitled No. 1"

I'm not sure that many of the songs on the album actually appeared in the television series.

MortSahlFan
05-23-2016, 05:03 PM
I think I saw it here, but Procol Harum's "Too Much Between Us" is now my favorite song by them.. I listened to that song on repeat for hours..

Funk 50
05-23-2016, 05:27 PM
Thanks to, impressionable years, discovering all Joe Walsh's albums without having any idea, which tracks were and which tracks were not, the supposed hits (except latterly Life's Been Good), I refuse to recognise the concept of "Deep Cuts".

My favourites are the ones I like listening to the most whether they appear to have a wide appeal or not. Hotel California is rightly regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time and one of the top 20 sellers but I'd much rather listen to Joe's Barnstorm album that failed to even scrape into the weekly chart when it was released. I was stunned when it was made available on CD.

A few random favorites:

Beatles - "Yes It Is," "Revolution 1," and "Cry Baby Cry"
Bob Dylan - "Meet Me in the Morning"
Hootie & The Blowfish - "Honeyscrew" and "Fool"
Led Zeppelin - "Hots on for Nowhere"
Stone Temple Pilots - "Meatplow" and "Pretty Penny"
U2 - "Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World"
The Who - "Naked Eye," "Trick of the Light," and "Cook's County"
Wings - "Arrow Through Me"

Don Henley must like Yes It Is too. He covered it live in the 1980s, with help from JD Souther and TB Schmit, if my memory serves me correctly.

... Wow! It's on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8GEkaJ-z80

Annoying Twit
05-24-2016, 03:32 AM
It's a pity in a way that you don't recognise Deep Cuts. As I'd quite appreciate a recommendation of which individual tracks to start with in Joe's recent albums. If I listen to a whole album I may zone out a bit and miss the highlights. Focussing in on individual tracks works better.

Playing The Confessor, the track, now as it was noted specially in a review.

Freypower
05-24-2016, 06:23 PM
It's a pity in a way that you don't recognise Deep Cuts. As I'd quite appreciate a recommendation of which individual tracks to start with in Joe's recent albums. If I listen to a whole album I may zone out a bit and miss the highlights. Focussing in on individual tracks works better.

Playing The Confessor, the track, now as it was noted specially in a review.

Start a thread in Joe's forum & you will get some answers.

Jonny Come Lately
06-02-2016, 05:01 AM
I've finally had time to revisit this thread. I've been looking forward to being able to do this! I have looked at some people's lists posted on here which have reminded me of deep songs that I love. However, I have deliberately avoided looking at my own list from last year, as I think this means my list will be more genuine. It will be interesting to then go back and check if there any songs that I mentioned last time which are no longer on my list.

When it comes to the term deep cut, I feel it is more specific than simply meaning a song that was not released as a single. To me the main two criteria for a deep cut are as follows:
1) The song shouldn't have been released as a single (I think this is obvious - far too many songs to mention)
2) The song shouldn't have be very well known or have had a major cultural impact (The ultimate example of this is probably Stairway To Heaven, but Desperado is also a great example - it was not released as a single, yet is amongst the most played and most loved Eagles songs)

I would also add that any song that is prominently showcased in an artist's live performances probably shouldn't make my list. A good example of this is Fleetwood Mac's I'm So Afraid, where the album version is not that well known but the live version is a firm favourite and was on the setlist for many years. I'm less strict about this though, as I think it has to be a true live favourite (I don't think, for instance, that the inclusion of Pretty Maids All In A Row on Hell Freezes Over prevents it from being a 'deep track').

I should say that a few non-album B-sides have found their way onto my list, I will put these in italics. So here's my list, in alphabetical order of artist and chronological order of release of song:

Bob Dylan - She Belongs To Me, Love Minus Zero/No Limit, Bob Dylan's 115th Dream, From A Buick 6, Temporary Like Achilles, Lily, Rosemary & The Jack Of Hearts, Buckets Of Rain, One More Cup Of Coffee

Coldplay - Brothers and Sisters, Spies, High Speed, A Whisper, Amsterdam, One I Love

David Gilmour - Mihalis, Short And Sweet, No Way, A Boat Lies Waiting

Deep Purple - Living Wreck, Maybe I'm A Leo, Lazy, When A Blind Man Cries

Dire Straits - Six Blade Knife, In The Gallery, Wild West End, Where Do You Think You're Going?, Single Handed Sailor, Expresso Love, Solid Rock, It Never Rains, Why Worry?, The Man's Too Strong, How Long

Don Henley - Long Way Home, A Month Of Sundays, Little Tin God, If Dirt Were Dollars, No, Thank You, Praying For Rain, Train In The Distance

Eagles - Train Leaves Here This Morning, Take The Devil, Doolin-Dalton, Out Of Control, Certain Kind Of Fool, Outlaw Man, Bitter Creek, Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise), My Man, Ol' 55, Good Day In Hell, Too Many Hands, After The Thrill Is Gone, Pretty Maids All In A Row, Try And Love Again, The Last Resort, King of Hollywood, The Sad Café, Learn To Be Still, You Are Not Alone, Somebody, Last Good Time In Town, Business As Usual

Fleetwood Mac - Warm Ways, Crystal, I Don’t Wanna Know, Oh Daddy, What Makes You Think You’re The One, Storms, I Know I'm Not Wrong, Beautiful Child, Wish You Were Here

Genesis - Can-Utility and The Coastliners

Joe Walsh - Second Hand Store, Indian Summer, Theme From Boat Weirdos

Led Zeppelin - Your Time Is Gonna Come, How Many More Times, What Is And What Should Never Be, Gallows Pole, Tangerine, Hey Hey What Can I Do, The Ocean, The Rover, Houses of the Holy, In The Light, Bron-Yr-Aur, The Wanton Song, For Your Life, In The Evening

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Things Goin' On, Poison Whiskey, I Need You, The Needle And The Spoon

Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Running Dry (Requiem For The Rockets), Tell Me Why, Don't Let It Bring You Down, I Believe In You, Out On The Weekend, See The Sky About To Rain, Vampire Blues, Motion Pictures, Borrowed Tune, Don't Cry No Tears, Pardon My Heart, Barstool Blues, Star Of Bethlehem, Goin’ Back, Pocahontas, Sail Away, Wrecking Ball, Too Far Gone, Country Home, Days That Used To Be, War Of Man, Dreamin’ Man, Driveby, Western Hero, Buffalo Springfield Again

Mark Knopfler - Don't You Get It, Baloney Again, Silvertown Blues, Prairie Wedding, One More Matinee, 5.15AM, Everybody Pays, Postcards From Paraguay, River Towns

Oasis - Half The World Away

Pink Floyd - Lucifer Sam, Let There Be More Light, Cymbaline, Grantchester Meadows, If, Fat Old Sun, Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, A Pillow Of Winds, Fearless, Burning Bridges/Mudmen, Wot's... Uh The Deal, Goodbye Blue Sky, One Of My Turns, Nobody Home, The Final Cut, Poles Apart, Wearing The Inside Out, Coming Back To Life

Rush - Natural Science, The Camera Eye

Wishbone Ash - Errors Of My Way, Valediction, Sometime World, Leaf And Stream, Sorrel, Rock N Roll Widow

A few points I would add:
. When I started to do this, my immediate thought was that three artists with the most deep cuts would be the Eagles, Pink Floyd and Neil Young. Looking at my list, this has turned out pretty much as I expected.
. Desperado is heavily represented in my Eagles list. I absolutely love the whole album so I probably should have just said the whole album except Tequila Sunrise and Desperado (because they are too well known)! I also considered including YNCLAL, On The Border and Frail Grasp On The Big Picture but didn't want to go overkill.
. For once, I've included a couple of reasonably contemporary artists - by my standards, at least! I'm not normally much of an Oasis fan, but I do love Half The World Away, even though it's another that is strictly a B-side. I've also included a few early Coldplay songs from the 2000-2003 era. I don't like what they have become now but I do still enjoy most of the early songs even if I don't play them as much as I used to. To be honest I like R.E.M. (again, more recent than most of my other favourites) more than I like either of these two, but the songs I love are all hits.
. My Bob Dylan list is fairly short even though I have half a dozen of his albums. Quite simply, I feel that too many of these songs are famous, especially on Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde On Blonde. It's a similar situation with mid-1970s Pink Floyd, hence the lack of songs from Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Animals. I did consider Any Colour You Like, which I think was on my original list, but on balance I don't think it belongs here as much as I love it.
. There are other artists whose music I enjoy to a greater or lesser extent, but either I only own a greatest hits/best of compilation (e.g. The Beach Boys), or as with R.E.M., the songs I like among the artist's most famous ones (e.g. The Jimi Hendrix Experience).

Freypower
06-02-2016, 05:54 PM
I have to say of the Dire Straits songs you list, I don't see Expresso Love, Solid Rock or Why Worry as deep. The first two are on the Alchemy DVD & Why Worry is on All The Roadrunning with Emmylou Harris. In my view the deep tracks from Making Movies are Hand In Hand & Les Boys.

Of the Knopfler songs he does play Postcards live. His neglect of the utterly magnficent Silvertown Blues is shameful.

And is Gallows Pole really deep if Page & Plant did it in Unledded?