PDA

View Full Version : 70s Live Shows

SilverAcidRayne
04-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Ok. Since i'm still learning about the band and everything, as far as their older live shows from the 70s are concerned what do you guys recommend? i was going through youtube and i saw some and loved them :)

thelastresort
04-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Not much to choose from!

The only ones I can think of are:
Holland 1973
London (BBC) 1973
DKRC 1974 (featuring Linda Ronstdat and Jackson Browne)
Seattle 1975 (bootleg)
Houston 1976 (bootleg)
Washington 1977 (only eight songs exist)

Film and performance quality-wise Washington is best but I'm very fond of the DKRC performance, the setlist is excellent and it's probably the best you'll find of pre-Walsh Eagles.

WalshFan88
04-28-2015, 07:16 PM
I prefer HC era and forward so:

Houston '76
Washington '77
Seattle '76

SilverAcidRayne
04-28-2015, 08:29 PM
awesome :):)

GlennLover
04-28-2015, 09:32 PM
I'm partial to London '73, but I like them all! :thumbsup:

SilverAcidRayne
04-28-2015, 11:03 PM
I'm partial to London '73, but I like them all! :thumbsup:

'73? oh wow lol yeah i'm currently watching '74. Don Kirshner. I so forgot about him :)

Jonny Come Lately
04-29-2015, 04:03 AM
The list tlr gave is a pretty good summary of the various concerts you can see live, I think I can add to this by giving a list of what I consider to be some of the best performances:

Holland 1973 - Has an excellent, largely acoustic of Take It Easy. Also has the original version of How Long (the arrangement is very similar to that on LROOE, but with Randy singing the third verse rather than Glenn).
London (BBC) 1973 - Fantastic Witchy Woman, the riff cuts right through, also has an extended version of Earlybird.
DKRC 1974 - Contains IMO the absolute best version of Already Gone. Also excellent for Peaceful Easy Feeling, but the highlight has to be the superb combined rendition of Doolin-Dalton and the D-D/Desperado Reprise, which the guys (maybe not Felder, but certainly the other four) give everything on.
Seattle 1976 - Absolutely storming version of Outlaw Man with Glenn singing on piano and some great new electric guitar parts by Walsh and especially Felder.
Houston 1976 - Has a terrific Take It To The Limit, and a Witchy Woman with an extended intro.
Washington 1977 - Can't go wrong with anything here, eight great performances of eight great songs. Only shame is that the song isn't complete.

I haven't seen any performances from The Long Run era, in a way it's quite fortunate that most of the songs from Eagles Live were taken from that tour because few (if any) videos seem to have surfaced, though there are bootlegs, including I believe one of the infamous 31 July 1980 Long Beach show.

Funk 50
04-29-2015, 05:47 AM
California Jam with Jackson Browne sitting in for Don Felder is pretty good, if a little short, too.:thumbsup:

scottside
04-29-2015, 08:41 AM
I think the California Jam show (although only 4 or 5 songs long) has great versions of "Take It Easy" and "Already Gone" Both are smokin' and Glenn handles the lead on the latter while singing and I don't think Felder is missed all that much. Also, the harmonies on both are stellar!

GlennLover
04-29-2015, 10:27 AM
I love Calfirnia Jam as well!

SilverAcidRayne
04-29-2015, 03:00 PM
California Jam... is that the one where they played outside? i kept going past that and didnt stop on it lol im gonna check it out. you guys are awesome thank you :partytime:

DJ
04-29-2015, 05:08 PM
I bought a dvd of Eagles Earlybird on Amazon and it has most of these shows on it. It's good quality and was not expensive. The Don K concerts were great and the Holland was great I thought.

NightMistBlue
04-29-2015, 05:17 PM
I loved all of them and was so sad when I came to the end :(

Silver, did you see this one from Central Park 1973? It's one of two songs, that we know of. Randy is particularly gorgeous in this one (wasn't he always though?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TUtUZTC9hs

GlennLover
04-29-2015, 05:46 PM
California Jam... is that the one where they played outside? i kept going past that and didnt stop on it lol im gonna check it out. you guys are awesome thank you :partytime:

Yes, it is. Jackson Browne played with them as Don Felder was with his wife who was giving birth to their first child.

SilverAcidRayne
04-29-2015, 07:45 PM

Silver, did you see this one from Central Park 1973? It's one of two songs, that we know of. Randy is particularly gorgeous in this one (wasn't he always though?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TUtUZTC9hs

ooooh he is pretty... lol he has such a great voice i love it

SilverAcidRayne
04-29-2015, 07:47 PM
Yes, it is. Jackson Browne played with them as Don Felder was with his wife who was giving birth to their first child.

oh thats right... i read that recently. i'm gonna watch that one also :partytime:

DJ
05-05-2015, 04:49 PM

He certainly makes that Bass rock at about 2:05! Yah :partytime:

Fleurette767
05-12-2015, 04:47 PM
That Central Park clip is amazing!! So true about the bass solo on that and that voice. Everyone was super energized in that song!

Fleurette767
05-12-2015, 05:01 PM
I have the top three of HC era - Seattle, DC from the documentary and, Huston :). I think my eyes have degraded from watching those old vids. The sharpness of DC is like a shock to the system sometimes.

I wish we had the entire DC concert. Ditto times 2000.

Still looking all over for a DVD of Kirshner or BBC. While BBC is mostly on You Tube, you know sometimes you just want to watch a show in continuity with all between-song cheers, anticipation, disarray, guitar changes, chords being plucked, or whatever. Frankly, I don't think I've seen too many of Eagles Kirshner videos on You Tube. I also hate that old 70s editing trick of the lens/frame opening up like a curtain as the song starts. It's like that on most of Eagles videos for Kirscher and as I recall other bands too. I know that's the old Kirsh trick but it's annoying here in 2015.

Finally JOE WALSH's Kirshner is so great. Just excellent through and through.

Freypower
05-12-2015, 07:35 PM
I have the top three of HC era - Seattle, DC from the documentary and, Huston :). I think my eyes have degraded from watching those old vids. The sharpness of DC is like a shock to the system sometimes.

Still looking all over for a DVD of Kirshner or BBC. While BBC is mostly on You Tube, you know sometimes you just want to watch a show in continuity with all between-song cheers, anticipation, disarray, guitar changes, chords being plucked, or whatever. Frankly, I don't think I've seen too many of Eagles Kirshner videos on You Tube. I also hate that old 70s editing trick of the lens/frame opening up like a curtain as the song starts. It's like that on most of Eagles videos for Kirscher and as I recall other bands too. I know that's the old Kirsh trick but it's annoying here in 2015.

Given that BBC was a TV show & not a concert you will never find a version of it with all the things you would like. It was edited at the time & I strongly doubt that a 'raw' version exists.

thelastresort
05-12-2015, 08:26 PM

What a coincidence, I was looking at the DC videos on YouTube just now and made a bit of a discovery, which I mentioned in the HOTE discussion thread. But yes, I agree, I would love to have the unabridged version of that night.

The window and other editing at the start of the DKRC Eagles vids on YouTube doesn't come from the original footage, it's edited in to avoid copyright breaches since the uploader has no rights to display it, and the Eagles are slightly infamous for their dislike of things like that. You may want to check out this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eagles-Earlybirds-DVD-NTSC/dp/B004TNNDM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431476862&sr=8-1&keywords=earlybirds+eagles for the full DKRC performance, a concert from Holland in 1973 and all bar Out of Control from the BBC gig, in its original broadcast format.

And yes again, I too love Joe Walsh's DKRC appearance, the performance of Turn to Stone on it is sublime. Part of me wishes back in the 90s they'd hired Joe Vitale again, and not Scott (as much as I like Scott and his work).

Fleurette767
05-12-2015, 08:38 PM
Given that BBC was a TV show & not a concert you will never find a version of it with all the things you would like. It was edited at the time & I strongly doubt that a 'raw' version exists.

OK I see. So you're saying they did takes and whatnot? No wonder the clips I'm seeing are so perfect. I just thought thought they were hitting on all cylinders that night (or perhaps day).

Fleurette767
05-12-2015, 08:55 PM
The window and other editing at the start of the DKRC Eagles vids on YouTube doesn't come from the original footage, it's edited in to avoid copyright breaches since the uploader has no rights to display it, and the Eagles are slightly infamous for their dislike of things like that. You may want to check out this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eagles-Earlybirds-DVD-NTSC/dp/B004TNNDM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431476862&sr=8-1&keywords=earlybirds+eagles for the full DKRC performance, a concert from Holland in 1973 and all bar Out of Control from the BBC gig, in its original broadcast format.

And yes again, I too love Joe Walsh's DKRC appearance, the performance of Turn to Stone on it is sublime. Part of me wishes back in the 90s they'd hired Joe Vitale again, and not Scott (as much as I like Scott and his work).

Thanks for this link and information about why those editing bars appear on You Tube these days, although I swear I remember those effects from the '70s shows, ala double exposure school portraits, fadeouts that dissolve like lava lamps, etc....But hey, when you're almost 50 the mind ..uh whaa was I saying??:hilarious:

Freypower
05-12-2015, 08:56 PM
OK I see. So you're saying they did takes and whatnot? No wonder the clips I'm seeing are so perfect. I just thought thought they were hitting on all cylinders that night (or perhaps day).

I would think as it was made for TV, yes, there would have been more than one take of each performance .Also we are talking about the Eagles. They have been perfectionists from the beginning of their existence. They don't do spontaneity, at least not often.

NightMistBlue
05-13-2015, 09:17 AM
Look at these sweet young things: this photo was reportedly taken on August 17, 1973 which was the date of the Central Park show. They're wearing different clothes, so one assumes this was the rehearsal.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/august171973_zps7yerlekx.jpg

UndertheWire
05-13-2015, 09:35 AM
Is there footage from a 1973 Central Park show? I've seen some from labeled as 1972 but the facial hair is different (Bernie had a beard and Don was clean-shaven) to this photo. However, Glenn may be wearing the same jeans!

sodascouts
05-13-2015, 11:06 AM
Those were Glenn's "signature" jeans in the very early days. He wore them for his Longbranch Pennywhistle shows and cover shoot (http://glennfreyonline.com/photos/lpera.htm) as well. They seem to have been retired after 1973.

Those outfits look like what they wore for the ABC special where they do Tequila Sunrise and Earlybird. That was in 1973. Central Park was indeed in 1972. Facial hair (or the lack of it) is very helpful in confirming such dating, lol. Check out my galleries: 1972 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/photos/eagleslpera.htm) vs 1973 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/photos/desperadoera.htm).

NightMistBlue
05-13-2015, 11:51 AM
After checking out those galleries, I wonder if this poster I bought on Ebay was a total fake-up. If the photo is from '73 it doesn't jibe with the concert date.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/72poster_zpsrey5yu3g.jpg

Funk 50
05-13-2015, 12:07 PM
I can't believe the Eagles, in their first year, would be billed above 60s legends The Bee Gees and Stevie Wonder. Maybe not even Mott The Hoople.

I'd treat everything on eBay as a fake unless I knew better. :eyebrow:

I certainly wouldn't trust the honesty of a salesmen! :evil:

NightMistBlue
05-13-2015, 02:29 PM
I'm so gullible :brickwall:

At least the Kent State poster I also bought refers to an actual gig, though I suspect the poster itself (featuring the OOTN back cover photo) is a mock-up. The date is written as May 3.1975 - with a period, not a comma, which would have been very unusual in the U.S. for the time period I believe.

OutlawManNJ
02-29-2016, 11:05 PM
So here is the 72? 73? Central park audio in its entirety, not sure this has gotten around yet. http://youtu.be/VbMVhzeSr2w

FWIW
03-05-2016, 03:02 AM
I have been looking for DVDs of early Eagles shows and came across this one:

http://www.rockshowvideos.com/caljam1974eaglesdvd.html

Has anyone ordered anything from this website? Is it legit?

Ive always been a dreamer
03-05-2016, 11:49 AM
FWIW - Those are bootlegs, so I guess the site is not legit in that sense. However, I don't know if the site owners are credible or not.

FWIW
03-05-2016, 02:03 PM
Thanks Dreamer. I wasn't very clear. I was more concerned about the website and wondered if anyone has ordered from it. I realize that bootlegs aren't legit but that doesn't bother me. Haha.

Funk 50
03-06-2016, 03:14 PM
There's really no need to deal with bootleg and pirate sellers when there are websites that offer free downloads of almost all the concert material you'd want to see;

http://theultimatebootlegexperience7.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/The%20Eagles

The Byrd
03-09-2016, 07:04 PM
I uploaded a bootleg to YouTube the other day from August 22nd 1974. I like it a lot because it's one of few great quality Eagles bootlegs to feature the original four.

NightMistBlue
03-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Thank you, Byrd! That must be from Lenox, Massachusetts.

Randy's vocals are just sailing out so clear. Beautiful.

Hey OutlawMan, thanks so much for the Central Park audio. I wonder why Tryin' is missing, but we have the video and it's awesome.

NightMistBlue
03-10-2016, 04:46 PM
So here is the 72? 73? Central park audio in its entirety, not sure this has gotten around yet. http://youtu.be/VbMVhzeSr2w

Hey, this may solve the mystery of the year! Before "Silver Dagger," Glenn says "we'd like to take you back to the summer of '72." Ergo, the Central Park concert must have been 1973. Stands to reason, no?

VillageGirl
03-15-2016, 05:30 PM
I could watch the beginning of Certain Kind of Fool from the 73 BBC show over and over without getting tired. Randy's smile is out of this world and he and Bernie look like they are having such a blast. He could not be any cuter with that smile and those shoulder shrugs! Plus, the music just rocks as always :)

NightMistBlue
03-22-2016, 09:49 AM
It's a miracle! More footage from the August 1973 Central Park show has turned up: a performance of "Desperado" with a string section no less. Pretty awesome. Eagles Fastlane FB page has posted it. I'm not techno-savvy enough to post it here so I'm just, you know, telling you about it.

Try this link: http://www.teachrock.org/resources/video/the-eagles-desperado-1973/

UndertheWire
03-22-2016, 10:06 AM
Wow! I wonder what Don was trying to get a better look at in the early part.

shunlvswx
03-22-2016, 12:00 PM
Maybe trying to see where Glenn is going in the song or trying to pay attention to what the orchestra was going in the song.

NightMistBlue
03-22-2016, 12:08 PM
I think he was checking the tv monitors to see if the colors in his Hawaiian shirt came out nice.

Seriously, this clip is gold. Cool to see Glenn directing the string section while playing piano. Good quality too.

Brooke
03-22-2016, 02:15 PM
Wow, awesome video!

shunlvswx
03-22-2016, 03:35 PM
It amaze me how Don can sing and play the drums while you have your eyes close most of the time and don't miss a beat. I don't know how he does it. It already looked hard singing and playing the drums at the same time then you put into the mixed you close your eyes.

It was kinda funny when Don was looking around to see what's going on. It was like, "Closing my eyes as I get into the song. Let me open my eyes to see where everybody is at." LOL

A great video. Too bad they cut a lot of the song. I don't know if they cut some part of the songs out of the video or it just like this.

03-22-2016, 06:17 PM
Very cool - Can you imagine Don putting that shirt on today? I don't think so. :grin:

shunlvswx
03-22-2016, 06:40 PM
I went back to watch it on my laptop to hear it better. That was an interesting ending for the song.

VillageGirl
03-22-2016, 07:06 PM
Thanks for sharing! Kind of funny to see DH's head pop up from time to time and look around. It's almost like he's thinking, "Where the hell am I?"

Prettymaid
03-23-2016, 08:00 AM
Take It Easy from the same show

http://teachrock.org/resources/video/the-eagles-take-it-easy-1973/

TequilaSunrise82
03-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Amazing quality! Love seeing new videos like this!

Brooke
03-23-2016, 04:40 PM
Oh man, Glenn is :smokin: in that TIE video! His little wiggle in the beginning and that glorious hair! I wish it was longer! :faint:

UndertheWire
03-24-2016, 06:41 AM
Audio from June 1973
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTvzLu-pXoI

NightMistBlue
03-24-2016, 09:17 AM
Many thanks, UtW! :yay: Love that version of "How Long"

03-26-2016, 12:07 PM
Since I never got to see the band live in the 70's, I enjoy seeing just about anything from that era - I just never tire of this stuff!

Annoying Twit
05-31-2016, 07:28 AM
Is it possible to buy a legal version of Washington 1977?

UndertheWire
05-31-2016, 09:10 AM
Is it possible to buy a legal version of Washington 1977?
It's the third disc in the 3-disc History of the Eagles DVD/Blu-Ray packages.

Annoying Twit
05-31-2016, 09:34 AM
It's the third disc in the 3-disc History of the Eagles DVD/Blu-Ray packages.

Ah, that's nice to know. Thanks. I need more DVDs.

EDIT: £75 QUID?!?!?!!?!?!

UndertheWire
05-31-2016, 10:13 AM
I paid about £23 when it was released (I'm not crowing, just relieved that I did). In Europe the 3 disc version was only available as a DVD not Blu-Ray. If you have a region-free DVD player, you can buy a R1 import more cheaply.

NightMistBlue
01-19-2017, 03:48 PM
Can anyone verify that a recording of the June 21, 1975 Eagles set at Wembley really exists? One can read a review of the bootleg, containing what seems to be specific details, but I don't know anyone who's actually heard it.

http://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/screamer-label/the-eagles-mid-summer-music-1975-screamer-04005/

UndertheWire
01-19-2017, 07:19 PM
I found a thread - with a no longer active download link -at guitars101. This makes me think it could be for real.

NightMistBlue
01-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Thank you, UtW! I wonder why it's so very hard to find.

[musing aloud] It was such a big event, I wonder if there is any film or video. Aside from that wonderful commercial on British tv (and now on YouTube).

sodascouts
01-21-2017, 10:48 PM
Yes, it really exists.

NightMistBlue
06-28-2017, 04:01 PM
I don't suppose anyone here attended the Eagles' September 1975 show at Balboa Stadium in San Diego? I was looking at some nice photos from the event and couldn't help but notice someone in a huge orange wig playing guitar onstage with the band.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132863440@N05/20497037813/in/photostream/

Delilah
06-28-2017, 05:56 PM
I've wondered who was standing behind Glenn in this photo (from the same concert at Balboa Stadium). At first I thought maybe it was Felder but his hair wasn't that wild. Could it be Joe dressed up for laughs? That doesn't look like his hand though (or his arm in the Flickr pic). Not sure about the guitar either.

http://i.imgur.com/40fUpQo.jpg

Dawn
06-28-2017, 11:08 PM
Linda Ronstadt Balboa/San Diego 1975 same concert

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ2MNJSEHTE

NightMistBlue
06-29-2017, 09:31 AM
I wish they filmed the Eagles' set too :weep:

OT: Glenn is wearing a t-shirt referring to the actor Alex Karras, who used to play for the Detroit Lions apparently

Delilah
06-29-2017, 01:17 PM
I wish they filmed the Eagles' set too :weep:

In a couple of those flickr photos of the Eagles, I noticed a cameraman onstage in the background. It looks like he was filming them.

NightMistBlue
06-29-2017, 01:36 PM
OK, but the fellow in the orange wig is playing the guitar - with no pick - and is wearing like a red jumpsuit. He's hard to miss! Maybe Ronald McDonald was moonlighting as a rock musician for a spell in the 70s. Couldn't blame him.

bobinpcola
07-18-2017, 01:44 PM
The guy with the red wig is actually Alex Karras. I believe Glenn's shirt was for the fictional Alex Karras Blues Band. Part of this concert was broadcast live on a short-lived TV show in the US called Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell. Karras was part of the Monday Night Football booth with Cosell back then. They showed Linda Ronstadt doing a song then came back later for the Eagles.

I was at the show (I'm old). Toots & The Maytals, a reggae band, opened, followed by Jackson Browne, then Linda, then the Eagles.

I recall few particulars about the show (it was the 70s) but the sunburn I got was historic!

NightMistBlue
07-18-2017, 02:34 PM
That is so cool! Thank you for sharing, Bob.

How exciting about the tv show. There is a clip of Linda R. on YouTube from this concert, so the Eagles performance has got to be out there somewhere too. Pray hard everybody, c'mon! We wanna see the Eagles at Balboa Stadium :pray:

Delilah
07-18-2017, 04:44 PM
Thanks so much for the info, bobinpcola! Wasn't Alex Karras later on some sitcom? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. According to Wiki (not cited), only 3 episodes are known to survive from the show. Let's hope the concert footage with the Eagles is out there somewhere.

Another date to add to Randy's TV appearances topic!

NightMistBlue
07-18-2017, 05:32 PM
Oh, it wouldn't be fair if the Ronstadt footage survived and the Eagles' didn't! The clip that Dawn posted a while back has credits in German. :???:

Mr. Karras was on a show called Webster. So was his wife. They often acted together. I remember him from the movie "Against All Odds" with Jeff Bridges, one of my faves.

New Kid In Town
07-18-2017, 05:46 PM
Oh my Gosh - I remember that show with Howard Cosell ! I did not know the Eagles were on the show. I remember Webster too ! Thanks Bob, I could not figure out the guy in the wig either. Boy, would I love to see footage of that show. I wonder what year they were on and what they sang. I think the show was only on a couple of years(73-75) maybe.

NightMistBlue
07-19-2017, 09:51 AM
The Cosell Show was only on from like September 1975 (when the Eagles/Linda concert in San Diego was) to January 1976. 14 episodes I think?

There are two songs from Linda's set on YouTube. Maybe the Eagles videos were taken down? But I've never seen them on bootleg lists either.

New Kid In Town
07-19-2017, 12:45 PM
NMB - Interesting - thank you. I can actually remember watching the show but could not remember the exact dates it was on tv.

bwthornton
02-10-2018, 04:27 PM
I've wondered who was standing behind Glenn in this photo (from the same concert at Balboa Stadium). At first I thought maybe it was Felder but his hair wasn't that wild. Could it be Joe dressed up for laughs? That doesn't look like his hand though (or his arm in the Flickr pic). Not sure about the guitar either.

That's Bernie behind Glenn in the photo; you can see him in the yellow shirt in some of the other photo. I was just 14 year old kid at the time of this concert but I regularly watched the ABC television show Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell. This show was very memorable because Alex Karras was dressed up like a goofy caveman and he introduced each artist. That's the red wig dude, I think.

cosec3791
03-03-2018, 07:47 AM
Can anyone verify that a recording of the June 21, 1975 Eagles set at Wembley really exists? One can read a review of the bootleg, containing what seems to be specific details, but I don't know anyone who's actually heard it.

http://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/screamer-label/the-eagles-mid-summer-music-1975-screamer-04005/

Well, good news. "Midsummer Music" is there on YT. Hopefully not blocked for you though:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AlJ0lCM3cO0

NightMistBlue
03-03-2018, 07:47 PM
Well, good news. "Midsummer Music" is there on YT. Hopefully not blocked for you though:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AlJ0lCM3cO0

It's a miracle!!! Thank you, thank you!!!!

Attention Bernie fans: Blackberry Blossom was played.

cosec3791
03-04-2018, 12:41 AM
It's a miracle!!! Thank you, thank you!!!!

Attention Bernie fans: Blackberry Blossom was played.
Please subscribe to the uploader. The channel owners are friends of mine also less than 20 years old, and have a HUUUGGEE collection of stuff. If you've seen the latest video in their channel, I got it for them!

mimi g
03-04-2018, 12:52 AM
Saw this a while back in YT: Glenn & Jimmy Buffett singing Margaritaville at a high school with the famous cocaine verse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QwXUexkwiI

cosec3791
03-04-2018, 08:47 AM
Not really that helpful to the thread starter, but here's some more decent stuff from the 70's. All are bootlegs btw:

1) 1973 Berkeley- good quality, great setlist- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_-CQXIL6JE

2) 1974 Lenox- good quality- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x7d91p-avc

3) 1976 Nagoya ("One of these Eastern Nights)- great quality, good setlist with rarities like "You Never Cry like A Lover- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzu7h4rsZHQ

4) 1976 The Forum (10 songs released as part of Hotel Calif. anniversary)

5) 1976 The Forum (22nd December full concert)- I do not have this, only saw this on Japanese websites- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MErwUK2drmE This link has 30 second snippets of 5 songs

5) 1977 Gothenburg ("Illegal Eagles")- Somewhat weird audio, but good quality , very rare as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB-s6PLCbmE

6) 1979 Budokan (the 25th of Sept.)- Great overall bootleg- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL7D75TzgH4

7) 1979 Osaka- Great sound

Hope people in search of more Eagles stuff see this!

03-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Thanks for these links, cosec. I haven't heard some of these. I am definitely going to have to carve out some time to give them a listen.

cosec3791
03-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Thanks for these links, cosec. I haven't heard some of these. I am definitely going to have to carve out some time to give them a listen.

I REALLY HOPE YOU SEE THIS. PLEASE DO, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!

This is the Eagles live at The Forum. After all the years Don thinking we wouldn't have anything from this concert, we have a whole night from 22nd September 1976! The same concert from which songs were featured on Eagles Live and 40th Anniversary live, we have a full night finally. It is really a miracle we have this, I only saw this on Japanese sites otherwise. NOT JUST YOU, EVERY ONE PLEASE SEE THIS (and yes I am shouting, and I mean the caps)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLtvc1tB8HY&lc=z22ryrbyyrnsuvtmfacdp433d33mlw33x13d4r13l3pw03c 010c.1520438318632247

groupie2686
03-07-2018, 03:51 PM

This is the Eagles live at The Forum. After all the years Don thinking we wouldn't have anything from this concert, we have a whole night from 22nd September 1976! The same concert from which songs were featured on Eagles Live and 40th Anniversary live, we have a full night finally. It is really a miracle we have this, I only saw this on Japanese sites otherwise. NOT JUST YOU, EVERY ONE PLEASE SEE THIS (and yes I am shouting, and I mean the caps)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLtvc1tB8HY&lc=z22ryrbyyrnsuvtmfacdp433d33mlw33x13d4r13l3pw03c 010c.1520438318632247

I'm at work so I can't click the link...is this video or just audio?

YoungEaglesFan
03-07-2018, 03:56 PM

I am going to give this a listen thanks man! You should make a thread about it or post it under the Eagles videos on YouTube. People will see it there more likely

cosec3791
03-07-2018, 03:58 PM
I'm at work so I can't click the link...is this video or just audio?

Well if you want video, bad news buddy. None. Only audio. Still good though.

rockretro1
01-20-2019, 10:54 PM

I'm the photographer who took this picture. Alex Karras is standing behind Glenn Frey. He wasn't really playing -- it was a fake guitar. He broke it apart and threw it into the air shortly after I took this. The Eagles were playing "Already Gone." After this song, one of the band members said to the audience, "Now let's get back to the concert."

Brooke
01-22-2019, 03:42 PM
Too funny! I had never even noticed Glenn's "hair" in that photo before! It was a bit unusual for him! :lol:

Thanks for letting us know, rr1!

NightMistBlue
01-22-2019, 05:35 PM
RockRetro, I love your photos from that concert!! Maybe someday we'll get really lucky and the video will surface. It was on tv.

That audio of the Forum show won't play for me. EDIT: it is now. Great stuff, thank you!

sodascouts
01-23-2019, 12:28 AM
I'm the photographer who took this picture. Alex Karras is standing behind Glenn Frey. He wasn't really playing -- it was a fake guitar. He broke it apart and threw it into the air shortly after I took this. The Eagles were playing "Already Gone." After this song, one of the band members said to the audience, "Now let's get back to the concert."

Thanks for the info! I have to admit, I had to go look up who Alex Karras was. Once I did, I recognized him. I just now realized his name is also on Glenn's shirt!

East Texas Girl
01-23-2019, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the info! I have to admit, I had to go look up who Alex Karras was. Once I did, I recognized him. I just now realized his name is also on Glenn's shirt!

Soda, I noticed Glenn's shirt as well. Can anyone tell what it says under Alex's name?

Delilah
01-23-2019, 02:45 PM

Thanks so much for your post, rockretro1. It’s nice hearing from someone who was there. And thank you for taking these great photos!

Soda, I noticed Glenn's shirt as well. Can anyone tell what it says under Alex's name?

ETG, based on what bobinpcola said upthread, I believe his shirt says “Alex Karras Blues Band”

sodascouts
01-24-2019, 01:30 AM
ETG, based on what bobinpcola said upthread, I believe his shirt says “Alex Karras Blues Band”

lol! I guess Glenn was a big fan!

CAinOH
01-24-2019, 09:30 AM

"Mongo only pawn in game of life." Quote from Alex Karras' character Mongo in Blazing Saddles.

01-24-2019, 12:11 PM
Wow - I had never even noticed Glenn's shirt. It's a good thing I have Border friends with 'Eagle' eyes! :thumbsup:

New Kid In Town
01-24-2019, 12:19 PM
As we all know, Glenn was a big football/sports fan. Alex Karras was an announcer for "Monday Night Football" at that time. Also, he played for the Detroit Lions for many years, which was Glenn's favorite football team. I bet Glenn was probably happy to meet him back than. Like I said earlier, boy do I wish there was youtube footage of that show. Thanks for posting the photo.

sodascouts
01-25-2019, 11:14 AM
I actually recognized him as the dad from Webster. Does anybody else remember that show?

https://cdn.moviestillsdb.com/i/500x/vivkhpro/webster-lg.jpg

New Kid In Town
01-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Yes, I do ! It was a cute show. He starred with his real life wife in the show.

01-28-2019, 02:08 PM
Not surprised that Glenn was an Alex Karras fan since he was one of the dominant defensive players in the NFL in the 60's. He was probably the premier sports figure in Detroit during that decade. He made the Pro Bowl multiple times and later went on to become an NFL Hall of Fame inductee, so I can definitely see Glenn being starstruck.

East Texas Girl
01-28-2019, 05:45 PM
Thanks so much for your post, rockretro1. It’s nice hearing from someone who was there. And thank you for taking these great photos!

Thanks, Delilah; I guess I should have delved deeper into the thread. :doh:

sodascouts
01-28-2019, 08:53 PM
Thanks, Delilah; I guess I should have delved deeper into the thread. :doh:

Been there!

Tony Trout
02-23-2019, 02:27 PM
There's also a bunch of Eagles recordings (audio-only, unfortunately) here:

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/alpha/e.html

03-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the link Tony!

Delilah
03-10-2019, 07:09 PM
There's also a bunch of Eagles recordings (audio-only, unfortunately) here:

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/alpha/e.html

Thank you so much for this! There are concert recordings here that I’ve heard of but never actually heard, and others where I’ve heard a song here and there but not the whole concert. I’ve spent part of this spring break afternoon listening to some of the early stuff and the band sounds really amazing. There’s a performance of “Twenty-One” where the band has to stop b/c of a broken guitar string (Glenn’s I’m guessing) and the guys are kind of jamming along and ad-libbing while it gets taken care of. I can’t wait to hear more when I get a chance.

NightMistBlue
05-04-2020, 08:55 AM
Hi! Has anyone ever come across a recording of the June 28, 1977 Eagles show in Knoxville, TN? This was the show that Randy's alleged refusal to sing "Take It to the Limit" resulted in a physical confrontation with Glenn backstage.

A friend found a review of the show in the local newspaper that mentions they did indeed perform Take It To The Limit. He or she (Billie Farthing is the author's name) even used it in the title of the 7/2/1977 review. OK, maybe Farthing made a mistake or heard something that wasn't actually played (the latter has happened to me, no drinking or drugs required). But the reviewer seems a careful, detailed sort of person.

Do you think this bears further investigation? It could modify Eagles lore. Maybe Glenn was upset that Randy didn't want to sing his trademark song for the finale. Or maybe the fight was about something else.

https://i.imgur.com/8D8j5AB.jpg[/IMG]

CAinOH
05-04-2020, 09:37 AM
No comment on the event itself, but a little poking on Google... I believe Billie J Farthing is female, named after her father William James Farthing (found his obituary). I found her yearbook, she graduated in 1976. And, I believe she is now a lawyer in Johnson City, TN. Of course, this is all hearsay coming from me. :)

(That was fun... now I need to get back to work.)

NightMistBlue
05-04-2020, 09:40 AM
How cool! Good detective work. She was just a slip of a girl, 17 or 18, writing with such confidence.

05-04-2020, 06:46 PM
TBH - I don't think this would necessarily be revisionist history. I never recall hearing whether or not Randy actually ended up performing the song or not. I just took it that Randy and Glenn got into the argument because Randy didn't want to sing the song (which wasn't the first time). I never recall them saying whether he did or didn't end up singing it that night. It's possible that after the argument, Randy did end up singing it.

edwardd19
05-17-2020, 11:24 PM
nice find

FreyFollower
05-18-2020, 01:47 AM
I never recall them saying whether he did or didn't end up singing it that night. It's possible that after the argument, Randy did end up singing it.

I don't know where I got it, but I've always assumed from what I had read in various places that he did go ahead and perform the song. I'll have to go back and re-read!