PDA

View Full Version : The Guys' 50th High School Reunions

MaryCalifornia
05-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Timothy's 50th high school reunion is this August. I wonder if he'll be able to attend? He has attended in the past, there are lots of photos on the internet. Lucky classmates!!!

How about the other guys? Any info about their 50th reunions? Are Don, Glenn and Joe class of '65? And what are their high schools?

Ive always been a dreamer
05-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Not that I've heard of, MC. That's cool that Timothy has attended his reunions in the past. I may be dreaming this, so someone please set me straight if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking Glenn also attended one of his class reunions back in the 90's.

UndertheWire
05-10-2015, 11:58 AM
It's an intriguing thought. Wouldn't Glenn be the class of '66 as he's a year younger?

It's not a class reunion, but I read somewhere that during the Hotel California tour, the band played a Dondero high school prom. I don't know if it's true - but imaagine turning up at your school dance to find one of the biggest bands in the country there to play for you.

shunlvswx
05-10-2015, 08:18 PM
I don't know if they did this back in the day, but wouldn't Timothy and Joe (Glenn too since his birthday is in November) graduated a year later than they suppose sinc their birthday is later in the year. I don't know if they did the you have wait until you turn 5 to start school like they do today.

sodascouts
05-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Glenn said at Pebble Beach that he had attended one of his reunions - I'm not sure he specified which one - so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he attended another one! (Side note: I remember he said one of his classmastes was a founder of the Horizon Milk brand. I still think of that every time I see the brand in the supermarket.)

Don still has ties to Linden and seems to value his small town roots a great deal. I also wouldn't be surprised if he attended his.

As for Joe - he seems to have moved around a lot - he might not have the same kind of investment in a certain high school class. Who knows, though!

05-10-2015, 11:03 PM
OMG Soda - Thanks for the reminder! I was thinking I had heard that Glenn had attended one of his reunions, but I had totally forgotten about him telling us about it at Pebble Beach. So I wasn't dreaming cause Pebble Beach was definitely not a dream - it was, however, a dream come true for me. :thumbsup:

Fleurette767
05-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Can you imagine Glenn showing up at your HS reunion? I'm thinking the people at the HS would remember Glenn Lewis Frey aka The Teen King but probably would never expect him to show up. LOL. Can you imagine if DJ gave a spin to The Heat Is On? :hilarious:

chaim
05-12-2015, 02:03 PM
"Probably not" was my first thought. But then I started thinking, "why would they not attend?". Because they're on tour and can't make it? Or because those who became celebrities are above meeting old school mates who didn't?

gracecur123
05-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Not that I've heard of, MC. That's cool that Timothy has attended his reunions in the past. I may be dreaming this, so someone please set me straight if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking Glenn also attended one of his class reunions back in the 90's.

I love them days.your awesome..Stephanie curry:angel:

MaryCalifornia
05-13-2015, 08:49 PM
Can you imagine Glenn showing up at your HS reunion? I'm thinking the people at the HS would remember Glenn Lewis Frey aka The Teen King but probably would never expect him to show up. LOL. Can you imagine if DJ gave a spin to The Heat Is On? :hilarious:

I know! You know every 5 years everyone's like, "Do you think he'll be here this time???!!" You can see some of the photos of Timothy with his classmates compiled in this video, you can tell because they have the stickers on their shirts with their name and senior photo. I think he may have performed at one of his reunions with "Tom and Ron," too. You know those guys were practicing for weeks ahead of time to play with Tim and get their old songs down cold again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0RCaRiuhxE

The guys would really have to go in with the mindset of, "I'm going to talk to anyone and everyone who wants to talk to me, and take a pic with everyone who wants one." They would have to be really generous with themselves, even more so than usual. No security, no spouse, just - here I am, classmates!

05-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Wow - thanks for that, MC. It doesn't hurt at all that Every Song Is You is one of my very favorite Timothy solo songs. :applause:

AlreadyGone95
05-21-2015, 11:41 PM
According to the 1979 Rolling Stone article about the band, Glenn graduated in 1966, which would've made him 17. I guess that the "you must be born before September 1st" rule didn't exist then.

From the article
"Following graduation in 1966, Nellie wanted to send her son away to college. Glenn wanted to stay in the Detroit area and play music. They compromised at community college near home."

Here's the whole article in case anyone wants to read it:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-eagles-hell-is-for-heroes-19791129?page=5

NightMistBlue
05-22-2015, 10:07 AM
According to the 1979 Rolling Stone article about the band, Glenn graduated in 1966, which would've made him 17. I guess that the "you must be born before September 1st" rule didn't exist then.

The rule wasn't around even in the early 1970s. I was born in November and allowed to start first grade when I was 5.

More importantly, thank you for linking that fascinating article! Good stuff, lots of detail in that piece. And at last I understand Soda's FAQ reference to Mrs. Frey's comments about her son in Rolling Stone :)

Scarlet Sun
05-22-2015, 11:47 AM
The rule wasn't around even in the early 1970s. I was born in November and allowed to start first grade when I was 5.
It was December 1st then

shunlvswx
05-22-2015, 12:06 PM
My mother was born after December 1st, but did graduated at 17 in 1974.

AlreadyGone95
05-22-2015, 12:48 PM

More importantly, thank you for linking that fascinating article! Good stuff, lots of detail in that piece. And at last I understand Soda's FAQ reference to Mrs. Frey's comments about her son in Rolling Stone :)
I wish that it wasn't around for me. I missed the deadline by 2 weeks! :-x
You're welcome! It's one of my favorite articles that I've found of the band.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-23-2015, 10:57 AM
It was December 1st then

It was different by state, and in some states different by county. I was born in the early 60's, and when I started school, the cut-off in our area was Feb. 1. While I graduated at 17 with a birthday in November, there were quite a few even younger than me.

05-24-2015, 11:49 AM
Yep - it was definitely different depending on where you lived back in the day. We didn't have kindergarten back then - went right into first grade. I can't remember exactly, but I think our cutoff time was September 30th. In any event, it was before November, because also have a November birthday, and I was delayed from starting school by a year. I was 6 yrs. old (almost 7) when I started school, which made me 18 1/2 yrs. old when I graduated.