PDA

View Full Version : Denny Sanford Premier Center, Sioux Falls, SD - Jun 4, 2015

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2015, 06:49 AM
Some pictures!

http://www.argusleader.com/picture-gallery/news/2015/06/04/photos-eagles-at-premier-center/28515589/?hootPostID=beeabfa744b60ac7c1626a914ffe287e

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2015, 06:58 AM
A review with a bit of video...

http://www.kdlt.com/news/local-news/thousands-attend-sold-out-eagles-concert/33412476

The tweets I'm seeing are all really great. I guess Glenn did the Plaintiff joke, people seem to really like that joke. The only negative tweet was one I see after a lot of concerts, it too hot in the arena.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2015, 07:22 AM
An article with opinions about the ban on cellphones and pictures, before the concert started.

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.cfm/eagles-fans-react-to-no-photo-policy/?id=180875

TimFan222
06-05-2015, 08:33 AM
It was hot in the arena especially late in show. Don wore a plaid shirt in first half and changed to a different plaid shirt the second half. Timothy started with a gray t-shirt ( I had never seen before) and changed to red a blue plaid for second half. Joe wore a shirt and jacket first half and came back with a Ramones shirt the second half. Glenn started show with the usual blue but changed to a peach shirt the second half. Nice to see bright color on him for a change.
The guys seem really tired and in need of break. Don said he had a touch of bronchitis but voice got stronger later in show. Glenn had the runny nose and Kleenex box out. They skipped some jokes but only us veterans knew it
The crowd was great. Stood almost all second half. Before Doolin Daltons Don asked crowd to quiet down so could hear them
One really neat thing during introductions when Timothy was introduced he got a looong standing o. He seem really touched by this.
All-in-all great show as usual.

Brooke
06-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Tf, good to hear! Thanks!

cynd1231
06-06-2015, 01:20 AM
I have to agree with TF22....it got unbelievably warm in the arena, especially toward the end. But in my experience most people are up and moving and it generates a lot of heat. The guys did seem tired and I thought it took them a while to find their stride - Glenn and Don in particular seemed to struggle a bit during the first half of the first half - but true to form, they played thru, found their niche and gave it their all. When you look at the show schedule it's understandable. They've been doing back-to-back nights or a show with a travel day with a show...and this week alone they've done 3 nights in a row! It's got to take a toll. They play Green Bay on Sunday then have a badly needed month to recoup before the next leg with a demanding 3 weeks thru the end of July.

When we got up this morning we gave serious consideration to driving up for the show in Grand Forks tonight but available tickets were limited and we're always skeptical about 'resale' tickets so we came back.

Despite my best efforts, I haven't really found anything about the Billings show on Wednesday other than a lot of hype about the profits for the arena and vendors....not a single word about the concert itself, just tallies for the beer and liquor sales! And I understand the arena there seats nearly 11,000 for a concert but only about 9500 seats were filled. Got to be a bit discouraging.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-06-2015, 09:11 AM
I have to agree with TF22....it got unbelievably warm in the arena, especially toward the end. But in my experience most people are up and moving and it generates a lot of heat. The guys did seem tired and I thought it took them a while to find their stride - Glenn and Don in particular seemed to struggle a bit during the first half of the first half - but true to form, they played thru, found their niche and gave it their all. When you look at the show schedule it's understandable. They've been doing back-to-back nights or a show with a travel day with a show...and this week alone they've done 3 nights in a row! It's got to take a toll. They play Green Bay on Sunday then have a badly needed month to recoup before the next leg with a demanding 3 weeks thru the end of July.

When we got up this morning we gave serious consideration to driving up for the show in Grand Forks tonight but available tickets were limited and we're always skeptical about 'resale' tickets so we came back.

Despite my best efforts, I haven't really found anything about the Billings show on Wednesday other than a lot of hype about the profits for the arena and vendors....not a single word about the concert itself, just tallies for the beer and liquor sales! And I understand the arena there seats nearly 11,000 for a concert but only about 9500 seats were filled. Got to be a bit discouraging.

Cyndi, there is at least one review in the Billings thread, from mtstandard.com. Everything I've read, including the review I just referenced, said it was sold out. I don't want to talk too much about it, since it's for another thread, but remember they don't sell the seats behind the stage. It sold out in four hours, I think.

Glad you had a good time, and sorry to hear the guys seemed to be fighting colds or allergies. It must have been a great show if you wanted to repeat it in Grand Forks!

ttwilkins
06-06-2015, 04:50 PM
I loved the show...I've seen them twice at the LA Forum and once at the MGM in Vegas, both more than a year ago and so I applaud their ability to keep the quality of the show at such a high level considering this amazing run!

Regarding the venue, I thought the sound was very good, but not nearly as good as the other venues. Glenn Frye had said that the Forum was the new gold standard, so maybe I got spoiled.

Regarding the comfort...we were in the upper seats and it did get VERY uncomfortable and I was ready to lay this on the ever-growing pile of complaints about this facility. Then a friend told me that a facility employee said that the band had insisted that the AC be turned off because it was too loud and interfere with their acoustics.

Please do not run with this assertion as fact...this is second-hand at best, but it does bring up an interesting discussion. Should we prefer optimal acoustics at the expense of comfort?

VAisForEagleLovers
06-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Welcome, TTW! Glad to hear your input!

As for the AC, I really hope that's not true. I realize the guys are under a lot of hot spotlights and might figure if they can perform in the heat, the crowd can sit in it, but of course the higher you go, the warmer it is, and people have varying degrees of heat sensitivity. Early in the HOTE tour there was a woman who was carried out of a venue on a stretcher due to heat in an arena.

L101
06-06-2015, 05:53 PM
It seems like the heat issue is still causing problems.
I saw the Eagles a year ago today in Dublin and the heat in the arena was terrible. A friend of mine was sitting in the nosebleed section and he had to leave halfway through because of the heat. He asked one of the ushers to get the AC turned on, but the usher said it was turned off at the request of the band as it was too loud and interfered with their sound and there was nothing they could do.
Obviously the higher up you go, the worse it gets, we were sitting near the front of the raised seating and while the heat was bad, it was bearable which was just as well as I refused to leave until the very end.

This tour was the first time the Eagles played indoors in Dublin, and I think apart from Australia and NZ, most of the shows were indoors, probably because its easier to see the screens in the background - but maybe they feel the night air affects how they sing and perform especially in the colder climates ??

VAisForEagleLovers
06-06-2015, 06:06 PM
I think a large part of the reason for indoor concerts is weather. While the band is usually protected, it takes the crowd out of it if they have to battle the elements the entire time, and lets face it, most of their fans these days aren't going to sit out in the rain. Most outdoor concerts are general admission, so to get a good seat you sit or stand in the elements for hours, and most will not sit in the rain for crappy seats. Personally I'm glad nearly all the concerts were indoor, as I do not do outdoor concerts unless they are the type where they're cheap and I don't care if I miss it by staying at home if the weather is rainy or too hot (I skipped a MercyMe concert last August due to heat). Amphitheaters are OK as long as my seat is reserved and well under cover, but open seating like at a stadium? No way...

I'm sorry to hear our guys seem to think perfect acoustics without AC is more important than ensuring their fans don't roast in their own sweat at 85 and 90 degrees, which would easily be the temperatures higher up. I can appreciate wanting perfect sound, and perhaps venues who want to attract big name bands should start thinking about heating and cooling and sound when building the things. Maybe our guys should only tour in the winter.

ETA: If this really is true, can you imagine what the venue in Miami will be like in mid-July?

MaryCalifornia
06-06-2015, 06:57 PM
TimFan22 posted in the Oklahoma City thread that it got really hot during that show as well, to the extent that Tim pulled his hair back in a ponytail. She was in the front row. So, its not just the upper sections that are affected. It is certainly not uncommon for singers to ask for no A/C for vocal cord/ease of hitting the notes purposes. Not sure I'm totally buying that it is for "acoustics non-interference" purposes, but regardless of the reason, the result is bad for fans. I'm guessing the humidity has a big effect on the heat level inside.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about this during the three hours of commercials before The Belmont (slight exaggeration). Since I do VIP, I get in venues early, and some are like icebergs when you first get in them. Perhaps some are smart enough to drop the temp ahead of time so it's not too hot later. Others, maybe it comes down to the airflow of the venues.

TimFan222
06-06-2015, 07:52 PM
I know the guys are under hot light but remember the guys have dry ice blown over the stage. It can be felt in the first row. You can see it. It looks like fog

VAisForEagleLovers
06-06-2015, 08:43 PM
I know the guys are under hot light but remember the guys have dry ice blown over the stage. It can be felt in the first row. You can see it. It looks like fog

I have seen it, but I don't remember ever feeling any cooling effect from it. Now, that could be due to the super smokin' hot guys in front of me.

Freypower
06-06-2015, 09:52 PM
I hope we are not going to have another example of the band's demands now going so far that they want air conditioning turned off. I would have thought the venue has a duty of care to audiences. I sincerely hope there is no truth in this. On the other hand my husband has said to me that when they book the venue they become the 'owners' & have the right to set the terms & conditions as they do with phones. But surely up to a point; surely the audience has a right to be comfortable.

I should say that the majority of the Australia & New Zealand shows were also indoors.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-06-2015, 10:58 PM
When I think back to the tweets I've read of people having to leave early due to heat, it makes me a little sick inside. To be fair, that hasn't been since the first leg of the tour. After that were complaints, but I didn't read about people leaving early. Let's face it, the arenas aren't hardly going to complain or push back on it, I'm sure they're delighted to leave it off.

Tori
06-06-2015, 11:08 PM
This is so strange to me. I'd think that the tech people at least would want more cooling, simply because stage lights run very hot - this is why many TV studios are freezing cold - and the lighting techs wouldn't want them overheating. Then again, the band is the guest in the venue and probably calls the shots in regards to that sort of thing. And then on another note I'd hate to think the band would put acoustics over the well-being of the audience. Who knows?

Either way, I've told my mom to expect being very warm/hot during the show in GB tomorrow and to have some water with her. Since we're not sitting together this time I'll frankly be a little worried about heat, but we'll see how things play out. I hate hearing that people leave shows early due to unbearable heat, everyone should be able to enjoy the concerts comfortably. :/

VAisForEagleLovers
06-06-2015, 11:31 PM
This is so strange to me. I'd think that the tech people at least would want more cooling, simply because stage lights run very hot - this is why many TV studios are freezing cold - and the lighting techs wouldn't want them overheating. Then again, the band is the guest in the venue and probably calls the shots in regards to that sort of thing. And then on another note I'd hate to think the band would put acoustics over the well-being of the audience. Who knows?

Either way, I've told my mom to expect being very warm/hot during the show in GB tomorrow and to have some water with her. Since we're not sitting together this time I'll frankly be a little worried about heat, but we'll see how things play out. I hate hearing that people leave shows early due to unbearable heat, everyone should be able to enjoy the concerts comfortably. :/

Like I said, those tweets were nearly two years ago. Down on floor will be hot but not overly so.

Maleah
06-07-2015, 10:42 AM
It was VERY warm at the Alerus Center in Grand Forks! A lady passed out right afterwards actually.....don't know if it was from the heat though.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Sorry to hear about it being so warm in the arena. As someone who attends multiple shows, I can say with certainty that the temperature varies from venue to venue. My memory is very vague on this, but a few years ago I remember seeing a copy of a contract rider for the band. I'm pretty sure there was a clause that said the showtime temperature in the arena should be 72° (I think). Now, granted, this was a few years ago, but my point is, even if the arena has the thermostat set at a certain temperature, that doesn't mean the heating/ac system or thermostat are working properly. Stuff happens that is beyond anyone's control, but, my guess is that these cases are exceptions.

TimFan222
06-07-2015, 10:36 PM
At the show in Sioux Falls it was freezing up front when we went in. I even had my hoodie on until the show started. But it got steadily warmer as the show went on. Maybe the a/c deal is true??
Don had on a long sleeve knit shirt on under his shirt to start the show. He was visibly sweating. After the break he came out with just a shirt on.
Oh btw when the show starts now the first two songs you can see Steuart playing mandolin and guitar.
Timothy is still putting something on Scottys cymbal Scotty caught him and flipped it off. As soon as he turned his head, Timothy snuck it back again. He is a little prankster and really makes Scotty laugh. Love it😍😍

cynd1231
06-08-2015, 12:15 AM
I'm sorry to hear our guys seem to think perfect acoustics without AC is more important than ensuring their fans don't roast in their own sweat at 85 and 90 degrees, which would easily be the temperatures higher up. I can appreciate wanting perfect sound, and perhaps venues who want to attract big name bands should start thinking about heating and cooling and sound when building the things. Maybe our guys should only tour in the winter.

ETA: If this really is true, can you imagine what the venue in Miami will be like in mid-July?

Denny Sanford is a new facility for Sioux Falls, not even a year old, and Eagles have never played there (or anywhere else in South Dakota) so noise from a/c could be an issue, especially for the beginning acoustic portion of the show. Doesn't mean they couldn't have turned it on at intermission. We haven't been to other shows there (yet) so can't say from personal experience if it happens routinely.

But any indoor facility is going to have a hard time maintaining a specified temperature once the place fills up. The house lights g Io down, the stage lights go up, the band takes the stage and the audience frenzy begins. You put 10,000+ people in one room, doesn't matter how state-of-the-art their A/C is, it's going to get HOT!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-08-2015, 07:11 AM
Yes, it is going to get hot! Especially with those hot men on stage! I may have said that already.

At several concerts I remember feeling a lot of cold air at the intermission. So, I have to wonder if some venues are just forgetting to turn it on? Different venues would have different capabilities as far as cooling down quickly.

cynd1231
06-08-2015, 09:19 AM
The next round of shows appear to be at arenas they've played before (Dayton probably being the only exception) so I'd be curious to know what they'll do regarding A/C. The arenas they played in Billings, Sioux Falls and Grand Forks are either (1) new facilities and/or (2) first time locations for the band, or (3) it's been years since they played there and changes & renovations have probably been done over the ensuring years.

I can understand the desire to give fans the best quality sound/acoustics, especially during the beginning of the show which really is pretty intimate. While the A/C units are outside, the blowers can create a huge distraction and depending on where you're sitting, if you can't hear their dialogue it ruins the experience - and we all know they want us to have a GREAT experience. But during intermission those blowers should be working in overdrive; substantial cooling may not be an option but air circulation certainly is and should be mandatory IMO. It can get stifling in the floor seats so I can only imagine what it must be like in the upper levels.

Something that we have noticed several times is that once the show is over the doors open, the arena starts to empty and it cools down really fast, even as the roadies are breaking everything down. I imagine that also has something to do with the big loading bay doors opening so trucks can be loaded. The more doors you open, the more cross-ventilation you're going to have and that simply isn't an option during the show.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-08-2015, 10:12 AM
They've not played Lexington since 1995, and while it's the same arena, it has undergone several renovations and rebuilds. It's supposedly the largest indoor arena in the US, which is amazing when you consider they have no professional sports, few concerts, and in a small city.

Needless to say, I'm always on the floor and near the front at these concerts, Pittsburgh the only exception, and that was only six rows up. I can say that some concerts were a complete sweatbox (first DC concert, and it was nearly 100 degrees outside), and some I was barely warm enough to be comfortable. (Raleigh, in the winter, with a fever. Des Moines in early Sept, I was so cold my feet were blocks of ice.)