PDA

View Full Version : Press and Disussion about Don Henley's new album Cass County available Sept. 25, 2015

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

AlreadyGone95
07-17-2015, 03:23 PM
OMG! I can't believe Don has allowed this! :shock: :lol:

Lol, that was my reaction as well!

shunlvswx
07-17-2015, 05:50 PM
You know something. I just notice something. I wonder if that's Don's handwriting for the title songs on the website. It looks like his handwriting. I think. I saw in one of the bundle pictures that the lyrics are handwritten instead of typed. Don has some nice handwriting.

Houston Baby
07-17-2015, 05:59 PM
Was anyone on here able to pre-order one of the 100 signed bundles? I was too late, they were already sold out.

Freypower
07-17-2015, 06:33 PM
Looking at the track listing for both versions of the cd, it seems to be missing the "Seven Bridges Road" remake. I wonder what happened there....

Remember when we all went into overdrive about him possibly doing Eagles songs? It's obvious that 7BR was just a vocal warmup.

I loved the trailer; I was intrigued by the shots of him playing guitar. I liked both the songs.

I will wait for amazon.com to pre-order it from there.

It seems he is doing a proper tour. (I thought the US After Hours tour was far too short).

shunlvswx
07-17-2015, 08:13 PM
I know, FP. I love those scenes of Don playing the guitar. I love the one where he's playing by the fire.

When I look at the pictures and clip, Don seem more comfortable. I think he gets more comfortable each album.

Darn. September 25th can't get here any faster. I'm just soo happy for the two singles.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 08:21 PM
Was anyone on here able to pre-order one of the 100 signed bundles? I was too late, they were already sold out.

I don't know! It didn't say it was sold out when I ordered, but with ground(ctrl), that doesn't mean a whole lot. The order that was emailed to me doesn't say anything about anything being signed.

Tiffanny Twisted
07-17-2015, 10:34 PM
I got email frim his site Sept 25
Also tour cities no dates
phily n y nashville stick out in my mind
I'm so excitrd

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 10:50 PM
Another article on Don's album.

http://910cbssports.cbslocal.com/2015/07/17/don-henley-to-release-cass-country-september-25/

One could argue that the Eagles are as influential on modern country music as icons like Hank Williams and Jimmie Rodgers. Now, Eagles co-founder Don Henley will be showing his country influences on a new solo album.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 11:22 PM
They are through Vevo, and so I'm sure it is set up that all monies from advertising go where they are supposed to go. It's also possible Capitol made is a contractual requirement.

Don doesn't like social media for a lot of reasons, I suppose. IMO, a lot of it is the tricky privacy as well as the fact that people spend so much of their time in a virtual world instead of living life in the real world.

Don doesn't like YouTube and things like it because it so very easily violates copyright laws. IMO, if the law of the land were followed instead of flaunted in the name of 'coolness', he'd be a lot less against it. When he decides to put songs and videos out and it's all legal, it's all OK, and I'm sure he feels the same about other artists. In other words, as long as he has the choice about his own intellectual property, it's all good.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 11:36 PM
I finally got a chance to listen to these and as I suspected, AWESOME!

I think I prefer Take A Picture of This over That Old Flame. Mostly because it's all Don. There's only one person I really care for sharing vocals with Don and his name is Glenn. Otherwise, all Don is a very good thing. However, both songs are amazing, and I do like Martina a lot.

I shouldn't have listened to either one, because it's just a big tease for the whole thing on the 25th of Sept. I already want more!

WalshFan88
07-18-2015, 12:07 AM
I love the two new songs. My favorite is probably "Picture".

AlreadyGone95
07-18-2015, 12:51 AM
I like both songs as well, though I like That Old Flame more. (Seems I'm in the minority here lol)

DivineDon
07-18-2015, 06:30 AM
Geez, I don't know which I prefer - I was leaning towards That Old Flame initially but the words in Take a picture of this are pure Don, and THAT voice....I'm in Henley Heaven! :angel:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-18-2015, 09:00 AM
A review! Apparently, David Gilmour released a new song yesterday as well, and this self-proclaimed Classic Rock critic listened to the songs, and gives his take on both David and Don, and is honest in saying he generally doesn't care for new music. In short, David seems to have 'phoned it in'. Don, however, got a great review. Of course :)

http://thebrandchef.com/can-40-year-old-music-brands-stand-the-test-of-time/

Houston Baby
07-18-2015, 09:52 AM
I don't know! It didn't say it was sold out when I ordered, but with ground(ctrl), that doesn't mean a whole lot. The order that was emailed to me doesn't say anything about anything being signed.

Oh I hope it is VA! Fingers crossed!

shunlvswx
07-18-2015, 09:56 AM
The website said the 100 signed bundles are sold out. I think you can still get the bundle. Your bundle just won't be signed by Don.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-18-2015, 10:05 AM
I know, what you mean, DD! TAPOT sounds more like Don than TOF. Not sure how that's possible when they are both obviously Don! I guess TAPOT just shows his voice off more. I listened to TOF first and I really liked it, but I felt TAPOT clear to my soul, and it's very definitely the kind of song that will get repeated often when listening to the CD. As I listened, I actually closed my eyes and thought, "Ah, yes, this is exactly what I've been waiting for."

shunlvswx
07-18-2015, 10:18 AM
I know, ladies. I like TOF. Its a very catchy tune, but there's something about TAPOT that has me liking that song more. That song is like the Don I know and love. His voice is amazing on TAPOT and its like his signature straight to the heart storyline songs we know and love. Ok. Now I want to go back and listen to TAPOT again. I already listen to it early this morning. :hilarious:

sodascouts
07-18-2015, 11:16 AM
Looks like I've got some buying to do. And yeah, I'm gonna go for the pricey one! It looks worth it to me.

I'm definitely doing the Nashville show... perhaps Dallas, depending on timing. I'd like to see more... we'll see how it works out.

sodascouts
07-18-2015, 11:36 AM
TAPOT sounds more like Don than TOF.

Time to learn some new acronyms, I see! lol They're both terrific!

I'm glad Don's utilizing social media. By putting the songs on YouTube officially, it heads off those who would do so without permission at the pass. People typically click on what comes up first in YouTube search, and now that will be the official uploads.

Even more importantly, Billboard now includes official YouTube views in their estimates of a song's popularity. When a music entity like that is taking YouTube into account when ranking songs, the artist better take it seriously.

Most importantly of all, it's a revenue stream for the record company. Even if you put aside the interest and sales it generates, they get paid per view. If he refuses, they lose income. I doubt he was given much of a choice. However, I really don't think he had to be forced. He must have realized how selfish it would be to make others lose money in order to promote his own personal anti-YouTube agenda. He is still free to have his people take down all the unofficial stuff, after all.

Yes, he's railed against YouTube as the enemy of musicians in the past, but that was years ago. It's got all sorts of features which benefit copyright holders now that it didn't have then; the artist can even earn money from fanvids and unofficial uploads via YouTube's content matching system nowadays. This is automated and doesn't require the artist to find it; as soon as you upload the song, YouTube detects the song via the content matching program, adds a link to where it can be purchased in the video description, and monetizes it for the copyright holder. (An example of a monetized fanvid is here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xQLd9J4B4s), for the curious - all those links were added automatically as soon as it was uploaded). He doesn't have to like YouTube to recognize its benefits.

I imagine that his record company enlightened him as to what an asset it could be and that his Billboard ranking as well as his wallet (and more importantly, their wallets) would suffer if he doesn't do it.

Don has a lot invested in getting this album heard. He's an intelligent man and although he's old-fashioned, he's presumably not going to cover his ears and shout "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" when told about what he can gain from modern technology.

sodascouts
07-18-2015, 11:40 AM
BTW, since there have been pages and pages of material, I thought it might be helpful to quickly summarize what we've gotten in the last few days:

You can watch a trailer about the album here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB9xQlq4msI).

You can pre-order bundles and/or the album here (http://donhenley.com/store). If you pre-order the digital version of the album, you get to download two tracks right away: "Take a Picture of This" and "That Old Flame".

You can listen to Don's new songs "Take a Picture of This" and "That Old Flame" (with Martina McBride) here (http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2015/07/17/423655504/don-henleys-releasing-a-country-album-hear-two-new-songs).

The Cass Country track listing is here (http://donhenley.com/news/254273), and is as follows:

Bramble Rose (Lead vocals DH, Mick Jagger, and Miranda Lambert)
The Cost of Living (Lead vocals DH and Merle Haggard)
No, Thank You (harmony vocal Vince Gill)
Waiting Tables (harmony vocals Molly Felder, Jamey Johnson, and Lee Ann Womack)
Take a Picture of This (harmony vocals Michelle Branch, Sally Dwarsky, Gale Mayes and Angela Primm)
Too Far Gone (harmony vocals Alison Kraus and Jamey Johnson)
That Old Flame (Lead vocals DH and Martina McBride)
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz (harmony vocals Alison Kraus)
Words Can Break Your Heart (harmony vocals Trisha Yearwood)
When I Stop Dreaming (lead vocals DH and Dolly Parton)
Praying for Rain (harmony vocals Molly Felder, Vince Gill, Alison Kraus, Ashley Monroe, and Trisha Yearwood)
Too Much Pride (harmony vocals Gale Mayes and Angela Primm)
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune (harmony vocals Molly Felder, Martie Maguire, Ashley Monroe, and Emily Robison)
Train in the Distance (harmony vocal Lucinda Williams)
A Younger Man
Where I Am Now (harmony vocal Trisha Yearwood)

So, if you want a list of performers consolidated, the following sing leads with Don:

Merle Haggard
Mick Jagger
Miranda Lambert
Martina McBride
Dolly Parton

The following appear on the album singing harmony parts:

Michelle Branch
Sally Dwarsky
Molly Felder
Vince Gill
Jamey Johnson
Alison Kraus
Martie Maguire
Gale Mayes
Ashley Monroe
Angela Primm
Emily Robison
Lucinda Williams
Lee Ann Womack
Trisha Yearwood

The cities Don Henley will be playing shows that have been released so far are:

Atlanta, GA
Chicago, IL
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Detroit, MI
Durham, NC
Los Angeles, CA
Nashville, TN
New York, NY
Philadelphia, PA
Port Chester, NY
San Francisco, CA
Santa Barbara, CA
Toronto, ON
Washington, D.C

Did I miss anything?

shunlvswx
07-18-2015, 12:27 PM
I wonder who's truck Don borrowed for the trailer. lol I know he borrowed the truck in the Taking You Home video from one of the people in Linden.

I wonder if Don will do a music video. I would love to see a video from those songs.

I'm just so excite about this. This will be my very first new Don CD. All the CDs I bought were years after they came out

sodascouts
07-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Just buying that $129 package ($150 when you add in shipping) and nervously entering my information into groundctrl. I hope that this time, I actually get everything I bought within a month of the expected arrival date. I'll report back in September - I'm desperately hoping they've improved and that we'll all have good experiences!

AlreadyGone95
07-18-2015, 01:28 PM
Don has a lot invested in getting this album heard. He's an intelligent man and although he's old-fashioned, he's presumably not going to cover his ears and shout "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" when told about what he can gain from modern technology.

the image of him doing that :hilarious:.

Seriously though, without youtube, I probably wouldn't know that Cass County existed, much less be anticipating its release. I'd still be the casual fan who vaguely knew about Don Henley (and Glenn Frey for that matter). It was my uncle playing Boys of Summer on youtube that sent me down the path to hardcore Eagles fandom.

I'm glad that the 2 preview songs were put on youtube because I don't have Itunes. (I'll hopefully be preordering from Don's site in August). Listening to those 2 songs makes hungry for more! (I enjoyed TOF more than TAPOF, but both are dang good)

Another thing that's great about Don using youtube (whether it was him ot his record company), is the amount of people that it'll reach. Think of how many people might discover this album because of the suggested videos or by searching "Don Henley".

Houston Baby
07-18-2015, 06:37 PM
Soda - at the end of the trailer, did you notice the Dollar General Store sign? Lol, we spent some $ and time in there last December. I love seeing the Linden sites again!

Ive always been a dreamer
07-18-2015, 06:58 PM
Thanks for recapping all of that, Soda. You must have been reading my mind because I spent a long time this morning trying to find the links to the two new songs so I could listen to them again. I like them both pretty well and right now can't say I prefer one over the other. However, the more I listen to them, that could change, of course. We'll have to see which one grows on me the most.

Fleurette767
07-18-2015, 07:36 PM
Totally feeling these first two tracks. The sound is amazing, his voice is in great shape, the writing is pretty sharp, the stories told are believable and heartfelt. To me, he really dug deep here. I can relate to these songs, you know?

I also feel that musically there's more subtle melodies going on here, rather than very obvious hooks. Can't wait to hear more!!

9/25/15: :partytime:

shunlvswx
07-18-2015, 11:33 PM
Capitol Record now have Don strolling at the top of albums that's coming out or is out now.

www.capitolrecords.com

DivineDon
07-19-2015, 06:26 AM
A review! Apparently, David Gilmour released a new song yesterday as well, and this self-proclaimed Classic Rock critic listened to the songs, and gives his take on both David and Don, and is honest in saying he generally doesn't care for new music. In short, David seems to have 'phoned it in'. Don, however, got a great review. Of course :)

Great review - he only spoils it by calling it Clay County! :eyebrow:

Funk 50
07-19-2015, 08:38 AM
BTW, since there have been pages and pages of material, I thought it might be helpful to quickly summarize what we've gotten in the last few days:

You can watch a trailer about the album here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB9xQlq4msI).

You can pre-order bundles and/or the album here (http://donhenley.com/store). If you pre-order the digital version of the album, you get to download two tracks right away: "Take a Picture of This" and "That Old Flame".

You can listen to Don's new songs "Take a Picture of This" and "That Old Flame" (with Martina McBride) here (http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2015/07/17/423655504/don-henleys-releasing-a-country-album-hear-two-new-songs).

The Cass Country track listing is here (http://donhenley.com/news/254273), and is as follows:

Bramble Rose (Lead vocals DH, Mick Jagger, and Miranda Lambert)
The Cost of Living (Lead vocals DH and Merle Haggard)
No, Thank You (harmony vocal Vince Gill)
Waiting Tables (harmony vocals Molly Felder, Jamey Johnson, and Lee Ann Womack)
Take a Picture of This (harmony vocals Michelle Branch, Sally Dwarsky, Gale Mayes and Angela Primm)
Too Far Gone (harmony vocals Alison Kraus and Jamey Johnson)
That Old Flame (Lead vocals DH and Martina McBride)
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz (harmony vocals Alison Kraus)
Words Can Break Your Heart (harmony vocals Trisha Yearwood)
When I Stop Dreaming (lead vocals DH and Dolly Parton)
Praying for Rain (harmony vocals Molly Felder, Vince Gill, Alison Kraus, Ashley Monroe, and Trisha Yearwood)
Too Much Pride (harmony vocals Gale Mayes and Angela Primm)
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune (harmony vocals Molly Felder, Martie Maguire, Ashley Monroe, and Emily Robison)
Train in the Distance (harmony vocal Lucinda Williams)
A Younger Man
Where I Am Now (harmony vocal Trisha Yearwood)

So, if you want a list of performers consolidated, the following sing leads with Don:

Merle Haggard
Mick Jagger
Miranda Lambert
Martina McBride
Dolly Parton

The following appear on the album singing harmony parts:

Michelle Branch
Sally Dwarsky
Molly Felder
Vince Gill
Jamey Johnson
Alison Kraus
Martie Maguire
Gale Mayes
Ashley Monroe
Angela Primm
Emily Robison
Lucinda Williams
Lee Ann Womack
Trisha Yearwood

The cities Don Henley will be playing shows that have been released so far are:

Atlanta, GA
Chicago, IL
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Detroit, MI
Durham, NC
Los Angeles, CA
Nashville, TN
New York, NY
Philadelphia, PA
Port Chester, NY
San Francisco, CA
Santa Barbara, CA
Toronto, ON
Washington, D.C

Did I miss anything?

That's great Sodascouts, thanks a lot!

Just buying that $129 package ($150 when you add in shipping) and nervously entering my information into groundctrl. I hope that this time, I actually get everything I bought within a month of the expected arrival date.
Good Luck with that too Soda. What are you getting for your $150?

maryc2130
07-19-2015, 08:46 AM
Very nice summation, Soda. Thank you!

I really liked the preview songs. Don's voice sounds wonderful, as does Martina McBride's. I love the lines:

Is it really me you miss or just your long-lost youth?
and
You can get burnt trying to rekindle that old flame.

Can't wait for the album and tour. Nothing in New England so far, though. Maybe he'll do a Walden Woods fundraiser here.

DivineDon
07-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Oh I hope it is VA! Fingers crossed!

Well, I went slightly mad on Friday and plumped for the Delux vinyl though I can't remember for the life of me if it said that the first 100 copies were sold! My excuse is I was also buying car insurance at the time :-( so now I'm broke but at least I may have a surprise come September! :)

VAisForEagleLovers
07-19-2015, 11:30 AM
I didn't order until 7am EDT, and I think the link went up around midnight EDT? I just assumed when I ordered that 100 of the things would have been sold out already. I doubt grndctrl would have put up the 'sold out' info until around noon, or the beginning of the work day on the west coast.

DivineDon
07-19-2015, 11:45 AM
Well I ordered about 3pm GMT which is about five hours ahead of Eastern time over in the US, so I still don't know if they were sold out. Still, it's done now and as I said it'll be a very nice surprise 'though I'm not holding my breath.

Just had another listen to the two songs and as with all of Don's songs they really get better the more you listen. TOF is a real good rocker and he and Martina combine really well - LUV it.

TAPOT is a real grower though. It starts off a little like Busy Being Fabulous but then he changes key at ..'running with the crowd...' and I'm sucked in to the whole narrative. I'm a very visual person (being an artist obviously) and I find that Don's lyrics are very visual - I see the story unfolding and can almost 'take a picture of it' :) as it develops.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-19-2015, 11:49 AM
TAPOI is a real grower though. It starts off a little like Busy Being Fabulous but then he changes key at ..'running with the crowd...' and I'm sucked in to the whole narrative. I'm a very visual person (being an artist obviously) and I find that Don's lyrics are very visual - I see the story unfolding and can almost 'take a picture of it' :) as it does.

And that, as Glenn has said, is what makes for a song that stands the test of time, and makes for an excellent songwriter.

DivineDon
07-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Good for Glenn :thumbsup:

AlreadyGone95
07-19-2015, 12:11 PM
It looks like I'll have to get the only the cd. My budget for August won't allow more than that. I wonder if I should preorder then or wait until the first week of September and take a chance. I wonder how long the pre-order will be available?

VAisForEagleLovers
07-19-2015, 12:19 PM
It looks like I'll have to get the only the cd. My budget for August won't allow more than that. I wonder if I should preorder then or wait until the first week of September and take a chance. I wonder how long the pre-order will be available?

It'll probably be available until the 24th of September, maybe a few days before. In some cases, with some preorders, they ship them in the order the order comes in. So if you wait until just before, you might not receive it on the release date. Another option, if money is an issue, wait until the afternoon of the release date and go to a store that would sell it, although most Walmarts get them on release date, they are bad about stocking the shelves until later in the day or the next day, so sometimes you have to be firm and demand someone go find it.

07-19-2015, 12:24 PM
Normally, you can pre-order fairly close to the release date - which reminds me to caution that just because you pre-order doesn't mean that you will get the album any sooner. As a matter of fact, sometimes you don't get it until after the release date. That's why I usually just wait and go to Walmart or Best Buy to purchase albums on the day of their release.

ETA: VA - you and I were replying at the same time. FYI - I've pre-ordered albums early before and still didn't receive them until a week after the release date.

AlreadyGone95
07-19-2015, 12:41 PM
I'll just wait until September then. I'll be able to preorder it on the 4th, so it should still be available. If not, I can try Amazon or FYE. I'd rather go ahead and have it preordered because since it's being released on the 25th, it'll be October before I'm anywhere near a Walmart again. (Nearest Walmart is almost 30 miles away).

VAisForEagleLovers
07-19-2015, 12:59 PM
Normally, you can pre-order fairly close to the release date - which reminds me to caution that just because you pre-order doesn't mean that you will get the album any sooner. As a matter of fact, sometimes you don't get it until after the release date. That's why I usually just wait and go to Walmart or Best Buy to purchase albums on the day of their release.

ETA: VA - you and I were replying at the same time. FYI - I've pre-ordered albums early before and still didn't receive them until a week after the release date.

I've always gotten them either ahead of time or on the date itself if ordering from the Eagles website (or Joe's). Glenn's was delayed because the vinyl was backordered, and it was drop-shipped from the manufacturer later. It's only been when ordering through Amazon or Walmart that it was after the release date. Of course, I've always ordered the very moment a pre-order could be done. This has been true of other artists who use LiveNation as well, on the release date.

Like Soda said, as a caution, grndctrl doesn't always have their act together and can screw up an order regardless of release status.

AlreadyGone95
07-19-2015, 02:06 PM
I must admit that I've never preordered anything myself. The closest I've come to doing that was ordering something from the UK because it came out a month earlier there than here in the states. (Bad Company's limited edition 40th anniversary collector's pack. I got it the day before the US release, took 4 weeks to get here).

Anyway, like I said above, I wanna preorder it so that I know that I'll have it eventually. Surely, it'll arrive before October 4th! (which is I'd be able to buy it from Walmart). Plus, I want the t-shirt bundle! (Which I know that I can afford to buy in September).

I hope that Don (or his record company) will release the album on Spotify (usually that's done the same day as the release). That way, I can still listen to it, even if the order is delayed or late.

shunlvswx
07-19-2015, 03:03 PM
I think the album will be release on Spotify because TAPOT and TOF is on Spotify.

I looked on YouTube just now. TAPOT had over 20,000 hits and TOF had over 17,000 hits. That may not be a lot, but that's not bad for two songs that only been out for 2 days.

AlreadyGone95
07-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Well, that makes me feel better. At least I'll be able to listen to it one way or another! :)

And 2 years Shun? :rofl: :p

shunlvswx
07-19-2015, 03:09 PM
I changed it. I always do that. I would type 2 years and I meant 2 days or 2 weeks. :hilarious:

AlreadyGone95
07-19-2015, 03:13 PM
I changed it. I always do that. I would type 2 years and I might 2 days or 2 weeks. :hilarious:

I make that mistake myself, lol. Plus, since I'm on my phone 90% of the time, autocorrect likes to "correct" things that shouldn't be corrected.

Jonny Come Lately
07-19-2015, 03:23 PM

Thank you very much for posting this VA. As the author is a big fan of both the Eagles and Pink Floyd (sounds somewhat familiar...) I can relate to him quite easily.

I haven't heard David's new song or either of Don's new songs (will get around to doing this though!) although his review of David's track sounds similar to the kind of reaction I've read elsewhere and the reaction to Don's new material on here makes me feel optimistic.

sodascouts
07-19-2015, 05:10 PM
What are you getting for your $150?

Check it out!

http://donhenley.com/store/product/super-deluxe-vinyl-book-shirt-print

VAisForEagleLovers
07-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Tweet from a rock music critic:

#DonHenley is about to be the hottest thing in music all over again:

Houston Baby
07-19-2015, 10:45 PM
Agreed! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
07-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Soda - at the end of the trailer, did you notice the Dollar General Store sign? Lol, we spent some $ and time in there last December. I love seeing the Linden sites again!

Wow, you have quite an eye for detail! I totally missed that!

Yes, I still wear the pajamas I got there. A real bargain!

Brooke
07-20-2015, 10:35 AM
The only time I preordered anything it was from Amazon and It was several days after the release date that I got it.

Their shipping prices are a bit high to suit me. I will wait and get it at the store!

sodascouts
07-20-2015, 12:12 PM
That's been my experience as well on more than one occasion. Usually it arrives a couple days after release if it's a service like Amazon. For most releases, that's acceptable... But not for my faves like Don! Groundctrl has been very unpredictable as to when you will receive your order (to put it mildly), but I want the bundle, so.... I'll just hope for the best.

shunlvswx
07-20-2015, 12:20 PM
I saw dollar general after you guys brought it up. I guess General Dollar everywhere. I saw a few in other states. We have a lot here in Jackson.

I really want the $99.00 package just to get the book. I'm just don't know. I might get it from ITunes and also hope WalMart has it. I know they have a lot of the Eagles albums there and I also found The End Of The Innocence CD there too.

I usually don't preordered stuff. I did preordered a CD from Amazon and I don't remember when I got it. Than again. I had to order it from Amazon UK because Amazon US wasn't selling it yet.

sodascouts
07-20-2015, 12:28 PM
I think it's required by law that every Texas town with a population over 100 has a Dollar General. It might be an ordinance in Mississippi too. ;)

I love the tasteful way Don is emphasizing his roots without going overboard. I was a bit worried he would be repeating he was from a small town in Texas every other sentence to prove he's got "country cred" to those who think of him as an Eagle from California.

shunlvswx
07-20-2015, 01:00 PM
I didn't know that. Thanks for that info, Soda. Probably so, Soda. But with Jackson being the capital, we've way over that. lol We have about 10 in my city and then a lot of Family Dollars too.

AlreadyGone95
07-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Count Georgia in as well. We have them all over the place here! (I'm still hoping that one day my small town will get one, though. Population of 600 should be enough to keep it in business, especially when the nearest one is over 14 miles away in a neighboring town). Lately, though, they've been popping up everywhere. There's at least 9, maybe 10 in Albany, Ga and that's just Dollar Generals. If you count the Family Dollars, make it at least 15. :hilarious:

I'm also glad that Don is addressing his roots in a bit of subdued way.

shunlvswx
07-20-2015, 01:33 PM
I kinda enjoyed hearing Don talking about his hometown and roots. Being a Southerner myself(accent and all, but I don't have a deep one), Don made me a country girl for a second. But I'm still a city girl at heart. I maybe from the south, but you can't take the city out of this girl. :hilarious:

AlreadyGone95
07-20-2015, 01:38 PM
I kinda enjoyed hearing Don talking about his hometown and roots. Being a Southerner myself(accent and all, but I don't have a deep one), Don made me a country girl for a second. But I'm still a city girl at heart. I maybe from the south, but you can't take the city out of this girl. :hilarious:

Lol, I'm the opposite. It's kind of hard to be "citified"(as we call it) when you're from a town less than 1/3 the size of Linden, Texas :lol:. My accent is probably a bit on the strong side. I have a feeling that this album will make me even happier to be "southern bred in a smal town" lol.

Brooke
07-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Dollar Generals are every where in Missouri too! And I know of at least 2 in the closest city to me in Illinois!

shunlvswx
07-20-2015, 10:41 PM
I found this link on Don Henley Appreciation Group facebook page.

A great review on TOF. Earlier I predicted Don to be nominated for many awards, they also predicting, but for this song.

http://m.digitaljournal.com/a-and-e/music/review-don-henley-and-martina-mcbride-superb-on-that-old-flame-duet/article/438897

AlreadyGone95
07-21-2015, 12:20 AM
After multiple (meaning a dozen at least) listens to both songs, TOF is still my favorite. It's more upbeat musically (which is my kind of country). Plus, I love Don's and Martina's harmonies on the chorus. Lyrically, I really can't relate to either TOF or TAPOT. I'm young, don't have an old flame (have yet to even have a boyfriend), and haven't experienced any of the events in TAPOT yet.

I can see both songs being nominated for awards. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that there's 14 more songs that we haven't heard yet!

DivineDon
07-21-2015, 05:19 AM
Thanks Shun, excellent review :thumbsup:

jms18222
07-21-2015, 11:47 AM
I am hoping Cass County pushes Don into the digital era but I doubt it. I PAID to downlaod the 2 songs from itunes BEFORE they were released to youtube & I will PAY for the new full record on September 25th. As much as I would love a cd I have all of my music on my phone.
I prefer Take a Picture to Old Flame.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-21-2015, 11:59 AM
I get CDs and upload to my computer. I convert to mp3 for the mp3 player, but still have CD for the CD players.

jms18222
07-21-2015, 12:19 PM
OK. I have now listen to both songs. Here's my opinion.
Take A Picture Of This: Wow!!!! Now this is the Don I love. Straight to the heart love songs. Its kinda a history song. Kinda like Taking You Home and For My Wedding. The lyrics are great. Thumbs up!!!

So my overall opinion of the two songs. If these two songs are a preview of what's to come on the album, I'm going to like it. I'm a big country fan. I'm a fan of 80s, 90s and real early 2000s country music (before it became more country pop again). IMO Don is in this category of the country sound of the 80s, 90s and some of the 2000s. I'm really going to enjoy the album. I can't stop playing those two songs especially Take a Picture Of This.

The only difference from Taking You Home/For My Wedding are these 2 he is happy & in love, Take A Picture is totally the opposite; it's more like I am DONE! Anyone who was in a long term "difficult" marriage knows that sentiment. Mine passed away though & I seldom bring out the old photo albums. I am NOT inferring there is any problems in his marriage either!

Fleurette767
07-21-2015, 06:27 PM
When I listen I hear a story about a couple who've taken a lot of pictures of the good times, as we all do, and how they (and we) don't tend to take pictures to capture the rough times, which do happen. No one is going to take a picture of that suitcase and/or ticket, you know. I lost my mother years ago and my father recently after a long illness and all our old family pictures were there at the house. I'm still going through a lot of his stuff and he was a picture taker. Sometimes a five hour trip turned into a seven hour trip b/c he was taking so many pictures. Maybe a broader interpretation would be how people spend more time commemorating moments we forget about the in-the-moment relationships. Can't say if it's personal for Don (or if he's just taking on the voice of someone else) but I guess it kinda got personal for me. I lost Daddy in January right after the holidays.

07-21-2015, 10:45 PM
After listening to these two songs several times now, it seems like TOF is growing on me the most so far. I love how Don's and Martina's voices blend together - very beautiful!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-23-2015, 11:23 PM
A review of That Old Flame!

http://onestopcountry.com/index.php/music-reviews/single-reviews/1590-don-henley-feat-martina-mcbride-that-old-flame

AlreadyGone95
07-24-2015, 12:47 AM
A review of That Old Flame!

http://onestopcountry.com/index.php/music-reviews/single-reviews/1590-don-henley-feat-martina-mcbride-that-old-flame

I like that review, especially this part:

The instrumentation soars when it needs to, but also picks the spots to sit back and give us a tap-a-long with beat while allowing the lyrics and voices to shine; voices that are distinctly different from one another, but come together flawlessly in harmony elevating this song to another level.

My feelings exactly!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Don was on WOMC this morning, and the interview is available on their website. Unfortunately, I cannot access it from here, and I'll be traveling the rest of the day. If folks want to search for it and listen on their own, let us know the link and what it says!

AlreadyGone95
07-24-2015, 12:52 PM
I believe that this is the right link. The station had 3 different stories ahead of the concert tonight.

http://womc.cbslocal.com/2015/07/24/eagles-fans-will-get-exactly-what-they-paid-for-at-joe-louis/

I haven't had time to listen to it yet, though.

shunlvswx
07-24-2015, 03:10 PM
I was listening to IHeart Radio, they now have Take A Picture Of This on there now. It played on Little Tin God Radio station. A lot of my stations i made up on IHeart are the guys songs whether its solo or group songs.

I thought that was soo cool. That Old Flame will probably pop up soon too.

jms18222
07-24-2015, 06:35 PM
I believe that this is the right link. The station had 3 different stories ahead of the concert tonight.

http://womc.cbslocal.com/2015/07/24/eagles-fans-will-get-exactly-what-they-paid-for-at-joe-louis/

I haven't had time to listen to it yet, though.

Okay I know it is a Friday night but I swore I heard Don say they have new tunes but won't play them because they will hit the internet in 12 hours. That might make 1 hope for a new album/tour??? Trisha done with that Garth thing...too funny!

Freypower
07-24-2015, 09:49 PM
Okay I know it is a Friday night but I swore I heard Don say they have new tunes but won't play them because they will hit the internet in 12 hours. That might make 1 hope for a new album/tour??? Trisha done with that Garth thing...too funny!

He did say that - he said 'we have new tunes' & he was talking about the Eagles. All I can say is I don't know what he meant but he needs to be told the days of people listening to new songs on the radio to become familiar with them are long gone. If he adopts the same approach to his solo tour he is digging his head in the sand. People want to hear his new work.

jms18222
07-24-2015, 11:06 PM
He did say that - he said 'we have new tunes' & he was talking about the Eagles. All I can say is I don't know what he meant but he needs to be told the days of people listening to new songs on the radio to become familiar with them are long gone. If he adopts the same approach to his solo tour he is digging his head in the sand. People want to hear his new work.

I agree with you! Heck I received the notification that 2 songs were available for purchase last Friday at 2:00AM. I downloaded them prior to hearing them for free on youtube. Trust me doing anything at 2 in the morning is quite a fete especially without glasses & hoping I had my itunes password correct.

He did say THEY had new tunes not HE had new tunes which, well he does. I agree with him to some extent but I was disappointed that they chose to not cover 1 song from Long Road. Waiting in the Weeds his probably one of the best songs he ever wrote.

Funk 50
07-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Very pleased to hear Don's acknowledging the existence of new Eagles material. Joe said they had new stuff "in the can", last year.

If Cass County gains some momentum, perhaps we'll have new Eagles music available for this year's Christmas Stockings.

I kinda hope Don gets 8 - 12 months Cass County time though.

AlreadyGone95
07-25-2015, 06:54 PM
While I love the idea of new Eagles music, I want to say that I love Don's idea of success more.

Success is being happy, that’s the bottom line. You can have all these Grammys, and you can be in the Rock N*Roll*Hall*of Fame, but it doesn’t necessarily make you happy. Success to me is hearing my children laughing. Success to me is being healthy. Having a clear head, and you know, just being happy to get up in the morning – that’s success to me. I’ve had a wonderful career and I really appreciate it. One of the most rewarding things are the letters… sometimes I’ll get a letter from a fan talking about how much asong*has meant in terms of the fan’s personal life; I get letters from people who have gone through life threatening illnesses or a terrible divorce, or some other traumatic experience and they say, you know, one of your songs or one of the Eagles’ songs got me through this period and it really helped me out — that means more to me… than anything else

Brooke
07-26-2015, 03:58 PM
Love that! Don's got his head on straight! :thumbsup:

I'm glad he has some new songs coming out and I'd love to hear new stuff from all the guys.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-26-2015, 04:37 PM
While I love the idea of new Eagles music, I want to say that I love Don's idea of success more.

I loved this part of the interview. Our guys really appreciate their fans, and it's more than just standing in front of an interview microphone and saying they do.

As for the Eagles putting out new music...I'm not holding my breath. I'd love it if they did, no doubt about it.

Misterhaney
07-27-2015, 02:17 PM
So I'm at Starbucks a bit ago and I a hear voice from the speaker that sounds just like Henley, but nothing I've heard before. It was a killer ballad. The repeating line was "But oh, we were younger, that was before you and I". Could be "A Younger Man". No background vocals, so that fits. I'm not sure how Starbucks would have it already. Either way, it was really good. I think it was Henley, though.

jms18222
07-27-2015, 06:26 PM
Then I think I need to go to Starbucks. A coconut chocolate cookie frappe sounds good right about now.

Is it only me but I seldom hear Don mention his wife. His kids yes but not his wife. Oh well, none of my concern.

Welcome Misterhaney!

dcinga
07-28-2015, 10:25 PM
I walked into a Starbucks last week in New Orleans and thought I heard a new song as well. It was the last few lines of the song and it ended before my Shazam app would load. If it was Don, it was one more great song from Cass County. I asked the staff and they said they had no way of knowing who the singer or the song was. I chalked it up to one too many Hurricanes from the night before !!

It that was Don, I will paraphrase a line from a song from Inside Job-" He's working It".

Just looked into this a little further and found out that Starbucks now lets Spotify manage their in-store music playlist. You can login and stream the Starbucks Spotify Playlist. (I tried to link it, but I suck at the internet.)

Lilah
08-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Just found this link...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-tour-2015/

Tori
08-07-2015, 03:15 AM
So it's 2 am, I'm trying to go to sleep, and a notification from iTunes pops up on my phone saying "A song from your preorder of Don Henley's Cass County is available"... Sure enough, When I Stop Dreaming was put on iTunes!!

I just finished listening to it, and it's beautiful! You guys will love it! Now... to attempt sleep once again...

VAisForEagleLovers
08-07-2015, 08:31 AM
What a beautiful song!!

It can be heard here, too:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2015/08/07/don-henley-dolly-parton-duet-cass-county-premiere/31251943/

L101
08-07-2015, 09:18 AM
I just listened to 'When I stop dreaming'. I think Don sounds fantastic on it!! His voice is just so deep, mature and heartbreaking on the bit that he does sing BUT Dolly just overpowers him when they sing together :-(

They both sound great separately but together - I don't think so....I like the song, and it's better than I thought it would be but if Dolly had pulled back a bit on the high notes (and I know that she thought it was too high for her originally), I think it would have been perfect.

But, if that is my only complaint about Cass County, then I will be very happy :grin:

shunlvswx
08-07-2015, 10:05 AM
I like the song, but I agree with you Lacken. She is overpowering Don. You can still hear Don (thank goodness), but compare to Martina who also has a very very powerful soprano, she didn't overpower or oversing Don on That Old Flame.

I still like the song. I love when Don drop his voice a little and then goes back to regular singing tone. Its almost like, is that really Don?

shunlvswx
08-07-2015, 10:59 AM
You know. I wonder how many songs we will get to hear before the country comes out next month. This is 3 songs already.

DivineDon
08-07-2015, 11:03 AM
I actually think they sound great together. Granted, Don's voice is terrific on this. He really shows his versatility and sounds so deep and manly...(pick me up before I faint) :) but I think they compliment each other well. Dolly is Dolly and can't sing a bad note anyway (though maybe she's a bit croaky on this?) but I think she has pulled back to match him - jmo

But I have to say, three songs so far and all three are super

AlreadyGone95
08-07-2015, 12:09 PM
I agree with everyone else. Great song, and I love Don's deep voice. I hope that he sounds more like that on the album.

Tori
08-07-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm actually not the biggest fan of Dolly's voice, so I went into it a little wary, but I ended up really enjoying how she and Don sounded together. And yes... Don's lower register made me swoooooon. :inlove:

Fleurette767
08-07-2015, 01:05 PM
They sing this song beautifully together. I'm amazed at the quality of Don's voice here.

Brooke
08-07-2015, 03:04 PM
I really like it too. I think Dolly is a bit loud compared to Don, but great song!

MaryCalifornia
08-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Hmmm, Don must have wanted her voice to be that prominent. They could obviously have brought it down in the mix to whatever level they wanted.

Don's singing on the low bit reminds me of Willie Nelson - the way he sings it.

My kids love Jolene - they'll think it is so cool that Dolly and Don Henley did a song together - can't wait to have the CD.

shunlvswx
08-07-2015, 04:58 PM
I guess I shouldn't had said overpowering or oversinging Don, but her voice is loud and prominent. You're probably right, MC. He probably wanted her voice prominent in the song. I don't think I ever heard a duo that Dolly did where her voice is stands out more than her duet partner. They do blend great together. I guess Dolly just has one of those very strong soprano voices.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Somehow missed this yesterday...

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6656658/beastie-boys-katy-perry-don-henley-capitol-congress?utm_source=twitter

Freypower
08-07-2015, 06:46 PM
I am wondering when the album will be available for pre-order on Amazon?

jms18222
08-07-2015, 08:02 PM
I really like it too. I think Dolly is a bit loud compared to Don, but great song!

I thought the same exact thing.

Funk 50
08-08-2015, 05:16 AM
Well I love Don and can't stand country music. Would I like a Henley country album? on the evidence so far the answer is no. I'm not enjoying it at all. My opinion of country music stands, my opinion of Don is on the wane.

I really enjoy Glenn's After Hours but Don's Cass County sounds like it could be purgatory. :worried:

L101
08-08-2015, 07:10 AM
I really enjoy Glenn's After Hours but Don's Cass County sounds like it could be purgatory. :worried:

That's funny as for me, listening to Glenn's 'After Hours' would be purgatory as I HATE "lounge" music!! I'm not the biggest fan of country music but I would listen to Cass County anytime over After Hours.

Cass County does not sound like a country album, 'When I stop dreaming' is the most country sounding song so far IMO and I can't wait to hear the rest of it.

shunlvswx
08-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Fastlane posted this tweet from Dolly yesterday.

Dolly Parton ‏@DollyParton (https://twitter.com/DollyParton) 17h17 hours ago (https://twitter.com/DollyParton/status/629749114033430528)
It was a treat to sing this Louvin Brothers classic with Don Henley! Listen to “When I Stop Dreaming” now @USATODAY (https://twitter.com/USATODAY)! http://usat.ly/1NdJaok (http://t.co/W1lKJpjLDH)

DivineDon
08-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Well I love Don and can't stand country music. Would I like a Henley country album? on the evidence so far the answer is no. I'm not enjoying it at all. My opinion of country music stands, my opinion of Don is on the wane.

Crikey, music is entirely subjective of course but I have to say on the evidence of what I've heard so far Cass County will be brilliant!! If you love the Eagles then I don't see how you could hate it - I mean Lyin' Eyes, The Girl from Yesterday heck, Desperado, Doolin' Dalton (I could go on) are all 'country' when you think about it. The quality of Don's voice is amazing on When I stop dreamin' and my opinion of him gets ever higher - surprise, surprise :hilarious:

AlreadyGone95
08-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Crikey, music is entirely subjective of course but I have to say on the evidence of what I've heard so far Cass County will be brilliant!! If you love the Eagles then I don't see how you could hate it - I mean Lyin' Eyes, The Girl from Yesterday heck, Desperado, Doolin' Dalton (I could go on) are all 'country' when you think about it. The quality of Don's voice is amazing on When I stop dreamin' and my opinion of him gets ever higher - surprise, surprise :hilarious:

Hear hear :applause:. Glenn is my "guy", but with each listen of the now 3 Cass County songs, my respect and love for Don grows. I guess that I can make room for both guys. ;)

shunlvswx
08-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Don's representative put up a trailer about Don's upcoming tour this fall. Very short, but nice.

https://www.facebook.com/donhenley?fref=ts

08-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Thanks shun. Shawn Colvin must be opening for him at most all of the shows. For some reason I was thinking it was just a few.

shunlvswx
08-08-2015, 03:15 PM
It looks like it. I wonder how long his set will be since he will an opening act. I wouldn't be surprise if they sing a song together.

08-08-2015, 03:27 PM
If he stays true to form, the solo set lists are usually around 90 minutes with somewhere between 13 - 16 songs depending on their length.

Now, regarding the duet with Dolly, I don't like it as much as the duet with Martina McBride. I love Dolly, but I do think maybe that song was a little two high for her range so she may be 'oversinging' it. But, I think the main problem is the song is a little bit too country for me. Don and Dolly's voices sound pretty good together, but I thought Don and Martina's voice together were absolutely gorgeous.

shunlvswx
08-08-2015, 04:02 PM
It's country, but than again. I like this version better than the original. Dolly knew it was high, but it wasn't too high to drop the key down more. Even Don drop his voice a little. You rarely hear Don sing low.

But that's Dolly. I don't think I ever heard a duet she sang on that you hear her voice more or louder than the person who invited her to sing on their song. They do sound good together. I have to listen to it more.

I'm really looking forward to hearing Bramble Rose with Mick and Miranda. Now that's going to be interesting. And Mick's voice stands out. When you heard a song, you know it's him singing in the background.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Fortunately for me, I love country, and I do not mean the new stuff you hear out of Nashville now. It's more like watered-down rock with a few single-syllable words pronounced with two. Some of it is OK, but I can't sit and listen to more than a few songs worth. I'm glad Don went 'old style' and with a more understated approach. Basically, he seems to be staying true to his roots and early Eagles music.

I don't like to see this compared to After Hours as a change in genre. First, I don't feel it's such a change for Don as it was for Glenn. However, I will say that it's always good to stretch yourself a bit as well. Even if you don't end up caring for it a lot, you might enjoy the experience once. On Glenn's side of it, Standards (not lounge music, there's only one or two 'lounge' songs on AF) are The Standard by which other songs are measured. It's why the genre is called Standards. Cass County so far seems to be stretching the line between Classic Country (or Country Standards) and the newer country music, and encompassing all the good stuff in between.

I'm proud of our guys for not putting themselves in a rut and staying there.

L101
08-08-2015, 04:29 PM
I don't like to see this compared to After Hours as a change in genre. First, I don't feel it's such a change for Don as it was for Glenn. However, I will say that it's always good to stretch yourself a bit as well. Even if you don't end up caring for it a lot, you might enjoy the experience once. On Glenn's side of it, Standards (not lounge music, there's only one or two 'lounge' songs on AF) are The Standard by which other songs are measured. It's why the genre is called Standards. Cass County so far seems to be stretching the line between Classic Country (or Country Standards) and the newer country music, and encompassing all the good stuff in between.

I'm proud of our guys for not putting themselves in a rut and staying there.

I wasn't comparing it to AH, they are totally different and can never be compared.

When I said that AH was "lounge music" - that was me lumping together lounge, jazz, easy listening contemporary piano bar/lounge music etc into a group - I don't like any of that type of music - it's the one thing to put me over the edge and that's why I can't listen to AF. Good on Glenn for doing it though, that type of genre seems to suit him but its just not for me.

As for Don and his "country" album, that is his type of music and he does it really well. Bring it on Don!!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-08-2015, 04:33 PM
I wasn't saying that you were comparing CC to AH, lacken, it's just that overall several comments leaned towards pointing to them both as a change in genre for each. I'm sorry to hear that you can't even listen to AH, but I'm glad that CC seems to do it for you! I don't want to wish my life away, but Sept. 25 seems entirely too far away.

L101
08-08-2015, 04:41 PM
I know you weren't saying that VA, but I wasn't sure if my point in my earlier comment had come across correctly.

AH was a bit of a change in genre for Glenn but not too much, he seems to have a touch of that type in all his music (the rest of which I do like and can actually listen to !! :grin:)

Don hasn't really changed his genre that much, which is good and for me!!
I/we have to wait until 2 Oct for the release on this side of the pond so we have a week of agony when it is released on 25 Sept and can only live through all of you !! :)

VAisForEagleLovers
08-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Really? I thought it was a 'global' release date? That kind of sucks. I wonder why the wait?

L101
08-08-2015, 05:16 PM
I know, I thought it was a global release as well. I ordered my CD on the European section of Don's website https://shop.virginemi.com/donhenley/*/*/Cass-County-Deluxe-Digipak-CD/4R9Q0000000 and that said the release date was 2 Oct!

I think he just likes to mess with our heads !! :)

AlreadyGone95
08-08-2015, 05:22 PM
That sucks Lacken. Sorry that ya'll have to wait an extra week. :(

Freypower
08-08-2015, 06:08 PM
I know you weren't saying that VA, but I wasn't sure if my point in my earlier comment had come across correctly.

AF was a bit of a change in genre for Glenn but not too much, he seems to have a touch of that type in all his music (the rest of which I do like and can actually listen to !! :grin:)

Don hasn't really changed his genre that much, which is good and for me!!
I/we have to wait until 2 Oct for the release on this side of the pond so we have a week of agony when it is released on 25 Sept and can only live through all of you !! :)

It's AH, not AF. I'm sorry you feel you can't listen to it. Surely songs like Same Girl, Route 66 & Caroline, No would be palatable. Presumably you like Don's Come Rain Or Come Shine? It's not that different. I disagree some of the other tracks weren't a change in genre though. Some of the more sophisticated songs like The Look Of Love & The Shadow Of Your Smile... he had done ballads, but not show tunes.

As a Glenn Frey fan I will be buying Cass County. I went to my wish list & it said I could pre-order it now. But there is still no option to do this.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-08-2015, 06:12 PM
It's AH, not AF.

I have no idea why I always want to put AF instead of AH.

FP, did your ordering site say when it would be released in Australia?

Freypower
08-08-2015, 06:17 PM
I use amazon.com & amazon.co.uk. I can pre-order it from amazon.co.uk so I guess I will do that. Why haven't amazon.com got a pre-order date? The release date on both sites is September 25. But when you complete the order on amazon.co.uk it becomes October 2.

(And VA, you did use 'AH' in your post above).

L101
08-08-2015, 06:38 PM
It's AH, not AF. I'm sorry you feel you can't listen to it. Surely songs like Same Girl, Route 66 & Caroline, No would be palatable. Presumably you like Don's Come Rain Or Come Shine? It's not that different. I disagree some of the other tracks weren't a change in genre though. Some of the more sophisticated songs like The Look Of Love & The Shadow Of Your Smile... he had done ballads, but not show tunes.

As a Glenn Frey fan I will be buying Cass County. I went to my wish list & it said I could pre-order it now. But there is still no option to do this.

I don't know why I typed AF instead of AH ?? Probably typing too fast :grin:

I can't even get past the first 3 notes in Route 66!! I tried several times to listen to it, but no, I just can't listen to it ....... and you're right, I don't like Don's Come Rain or Come Shine or Everybody Knows.

But we're going off track here - so roll on 25 Sept/ 2 Oct!!

AlreadyGone95
08-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Cass County will definitely be more up my alley than After Hours. Country is pratically in my blood. Everyone in my family loves or at least likes it. I've come to love some of it myself. I've loved the 3 songs released so far!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-08-2015, 07:26 PM
I typed AF in my first post that referenced it, as well as my second, which I edited afterwards, so that's probably why, Lacken.

Funk 50
08-09-2015, 06:19 AM
I wrote in another thread that my 70s definition of rock music was music that old people didn't play. Are Don and Glenn feeling a bit self concious about their ages with their solo albums?

There's all types of music in the Eagles catalog, Desperado wouldn't be out of place on Cass County or After Hours .

I'm still looking forward to the release of Cass County, there's bound to be something on it I like, I'm not expecting anything like Dirty Laundry or The Boys Of Summer though. Glenn introduced me to likeable M.O.R.. He'll have to go some to achieve it, but Don may make Country music a little more palatable.

Hopefully, when they all reconvene as the Eagles, they'll do what Queen did, after some genre hopping, in the 80s and return to their old, rock mongrels. stomping ground, determined to give us The Works!.

UndertheWire
08-09-2015, 07:10 AM
I've dutifully listened to these first three songs and haven't heard anything that makes me want to order the CD. It's not a surprise as I don't listen to and never have listened to country. In contrast, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Matt Munro and Louis Armstrong are part of my earliest childhood and I love a nice, laid-back jazzy sound (which may be why I'm loving JD Souther's latest CD).

None of this matters to those of you who love these new recordings for Don, except maybe as a warning that the album may not be universally loved.

Like F50, I'm hoping they will be a track or two that I love.

08-09-2015, 12:13 PM
To me, the comparision between After Hours and Cass County are inevitable because they're both departures from the style of music that the two men are most associated with. Of course, the comparison doesn't go much beyond that since the two albums are totally different genres. I don't want to prejudge Cass County but I'm getting the sense from the three songs that I've heard that I'm going to feel very similar about it than I do about After Hours, which is I love the singing, but not necessarily the songs.

I totally agree with UTW's point about the universal appeal of both albums. Neither of these albums will probably enjoy the mass appeal of Eagles albums, but that is perfectly understandable. Eagles music is in a league of its own.

I will buy the album for sure - and, hopefully, after several listens, I'll be very pleasantly surprised and absolutely love it. :thumbsup:

Fleurette767
08-10-2015, 10:30 AM
I don't mind any rock artist taking on any other genre, as long as the music produced is high quality. I enjoy classic country and if Don is tapping into that for inspiration that's OK. To me, it seems right for him given his background, etc. Using traditional country as a template isn't "settling" if it inspires great and heartfelt songs.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-12-2015, 02:19 PM
A review of the song When I Stop Dreaming.

http://countrymusicbistro.com/articles/id/198391850/song-review-don-henley-w-dolly-parton-when-i-stop-dreaming/

shunlvswx
08-13-2015, 09:35 AM
I put this in the pre-concert thread also. I think this is going to be fun. Two legends on the same stage talking to each other about each other's careers. I guess its kinda going to be like what Glenn did.

http://www.92y.org/Event/Don-Henley

shunlvswx
08-18-2015, 09:46 AM
I saw this on Fastlane this morning. Don will be in London tomorrow. As anybody heard of this magazine in the UK. I wonder if they're going to do an interview with Don while he's over there.

https://twitter.com/UpCountryMag

Up Country Magazine ‏@UpCountryMag 4h4 hours ago
We will be going along to the Soho Hotel in London on Wednesday 19th August for a intimate playback of Cass Country with @donhenley

DivineDon
08-18-2015, 09:50 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, WHY DO I LIVE IN THE WRONG COUNTRY? :brickwall:

L101
08-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, WHY DO I LIVE IN THE WRONG COUNTRY? :brickwall:

I said the same thing this morning !!:-x Maybe he'll announce a small European tour while he's there :)

DivineDon
08-18-2015, 10:38 AM
I said the same thing this morning !!:-x Maybe he'll announce a small European tour while he's there :)

Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Freypower
08-18-2015, 05:45 PM
I hope so, but Glenn also did promotion for AH in London, also at a hotel in Soho, and never announced a tour. I thought he made a mistake.

Don isn't on Twitter, surely. How do we know that '@donhenley' actually means he will be there in person? I wouldn't have a clue. VA is our Twitter expert.

shunlvswx
08-18-2015, 05:57 PM
I guess we will find out tomorrow.

L101
08-20-2015, 07:33 AM
Well, Don wasn't in Soho and no European dates announced (yet !!) but it looked like Cass County received great reviews ...... but it's getting harder to keep the faith if he doesn't start including other countries in the tour/promotion soon :-(

Brooke
08-20-2015, 09:30 AM
I hope he adds more dates in the US too.

DivineDon
08-20-2015, 11:24 AM
Well, Don wasn't in Soho and no European dates announced (yet !!) but it looked like Cass County received great reviews ...... but it's getting harder to keep the faith if he doesn't start including other countries in the tour/promotion soon :-(

I agree, Lacken. I didn't know whether to be relieved or disappointed! :hilarious: Relieved that Don might have been close but not close enough to us here in Ireland but really disappointed that there's no news of any European dates. I mean, c'mon Don, YOU KNOW YOU'RE LOVED IN EUROPE!!!! Please, please let someone, hopefully Irving, realise the potential here to make Cass County really successful worldwide.

sodascouts
08-20-2015, 06:24 PM
I'm really hoping he comes through for the fans across the pond. I have no doubt tickets would sell like hotcakes!

08-20-2015, 09:44 PM
Yep, me too. I've got my fingers and toes crossed for our European fans.

shunlvswx
08-20-2015, 10:11 PM
I think Don can sell out in Europe. I wonder how his tickets sales are doing. It's probably hard to find a ticket for his concert. I should check ticketmaster.

I have a feeling this tour will also be successful like his other ones. If Don sees this tour is successful, maybe he will add more dates next year.

I hope he does go overseas and I really really really hope he adds more dates here too. I really want to see him in concert.

Funk 50
08-21-2015, 05:35 AM
Don's released another song from his album.

No guests, just Don singing Praying For Rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S433z3UREqc

I'm getting tired if the pedal steel but otherwise it's ok.

shunlvswx
08-21-2015, 07:25 AM
Funk 50. You have to remember. This is country music. They are known for using steel pedal. There's going to be a lot of that on Don's cd. I'm glad he's using it because to me. It will just be another country pop or country rock or whatever the country sound is today. This will probably be phase with the direction country going right now and they will go back to tradition.

sodascouts
08-21-2015, 08:15 AM
I get more and more excited with each song!

shunlvswx
08-21-2015, 09:28 AM
I listen to the song while I headed to work. I love it. Its a great song. I love the lyrics. You can tell he's talking about Texas.

I was listening to one part and I thought Don was sounding like Bob Dylan. LOL Looking at who sings harmony on the song, its like 5 people singing harmony and I can really heard Alison's voice, but they blend very well together. I can't hear Vince's voice because you can tell when he's on a record.

Great song. Like I said earlier. I wonder how many songs Don is going to put out before the CD comes out next month. I'm loving hearing these songs.

Like I said earlier to Funk 50. This is country music. They're suppose to have steel pedal in their songs and Don will probably have a lot of songs that you will a lot of steel pedal. I'm glad he has the steel pedal because it definitely makes it feel like a country song. The country sound I grew up listening to before country music decided to go country pop/country rock again.

Brooke
08-21-2015, 11:05 AM
It's beautiful! Love it! You go Don!

Thanks F50!

DivineDon
08-21-2015, 11:52 AM
Hmmm...I have to be honest and admit I like it the least of those I've heard so far. The lyrics are amazing as usual and Don sounds great. It's a pleasant song but maybe it just needs time to grow on me :eyebrow:

AlreadyGone95
08-21-2015, 11:58 AM
Praying for Rain is probably my favorite song that he's released so far. There's an emotional connection that draws me in lyrically, even though he's singing about Texas. I love the steel pedal!

Tori
08-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Really diggin' this tune. I love the steel pedal as well. Very country, which I love. :)

DivineDon
08-21-2015, 02:02 PM
It's all relative, I guess? We've had our worst summer here for years - it's rained almost every day - so I'm 'praying for sun!' :)

L101
08-21-2015, 02:56 PM
I have to say, it's my least favourite of the songs released so far. Its nice and the lyrics are pure Don, but its missing something....it just doesn't have the "essence of Don", that is, no oomph, for want of a better word.

My favourite so far, is 'That Old Flame' but I love how Don sounds in 'When I Stop Dreaming' - kinda wish he had sung that one on his own though.....

It's all relative, I guess? We've had our worst summer here for years - it's rained almost every day - so I'm 'praying for sun!' :) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

If we go 50 minutes without rain here, its a good day :grin:

DivineDon
08-21-2015, 06:12 PM
Me too Lacken. I think Don sounds amazing on When I stop dreamin'. Never thought I'd say this but I kinda wish he didn't have Dolly on it and just let his own glorious voice sing the whole thing

Freypower
08-21-2015, 07:09 PM
I listen to the song while I headed to work. I love it. Its a great song. I love the lyrics. You can tell he's talking about Texas.

I was listening to one part and I thought Don was sounding like Bob Dylan. LOL Looking at who sings harmony on the song, its like 5 people singing harmony and I can really heard Alison's voice, but they blend very well together. I can't hear Vince's voice because you can tell when he's on a record.

Great song. Like I said earlier. I wonder how many songs Don is going to put out before the CD comes out next month. I'm loving hearing these songs.

Like I said earlier to Funk 50. This is country music. They're suppose to have steel pedal in their songs and Don will probably have a lot of songs that you will a lot of steel pedal. I'm glad he has the steel pedal because it definitely makes it feel like a country song. The country sound I grew up listening to before country music decided to go country pop/country rock again.

That's what I thought. I'm the only Dylan fan on this board so it's a compliment. I liked the song a lot, so I decided to listen to the others. I like Take A Picture Of This (is it him playing acoustic)? I'm not so sure about When I Stop Dreaming as Parton's voice I have always found too high & cloying. The last song I listened to was That Old Flame. Shades of Miss Ghost; I prefer McBride to Parton.

I honestly think any of these songs could have been recorded by Don at any time in his career (which is where it differs from After Hours, which in my view was a huge departure for Glenn).

DivineDon
08-22-2015, 11:54 AM
I'm the only Dylan fan on this board so it's a compliment.

Actually, you're not the only Dylan fan here FP - I think he's a genius and love his work.

jms18222
08-22-2015, 05:20 PM
It's all relative, I guess? We've had our worst summer here for years - it's rained almost every day - so I'm 'praying for sun!' :)

Me too!

Nice enough song, like it better than his duet with Dolly. Curious though why as self proclaimed hater of youtube has released 4 songs to it from a cd that won't be released for another month. If it is a 16 song cd that means 25% of it has been released for free. Don't quite understand but I will still purchase it from itunes for my phone.

Funk 50
08-24-2015, 01:36 PM
I'd definitely want a second source to confirm it but this web page lists Tim as a co-writer of Don's Waiting Tables

http://new-country-songs.com/don-henley/waiting-tables

"The lyrics to "Waiting Tables" were written by Don Henley, Stan Lynch, Timothy B. Schmit and Steuart Smith."

sodascouts
08-24-2015, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the find. I hope it's true!

shunlvswx
08-25-2015, 09:52 PM
I just saw this one facebook. Martina, Dolly and Merle could join Don on selected dates. Nashville might be one since its their home turf.

http://countrymusictattletale.com/2015/08/25/dolly-parton-merle-haggard-martina-mcbride-to-hit-the-road-with-don-henley/

08-25-2015, 09:56 PM
OMG - That's fantastic news. I can't wait to find out more about this. Thanks for the heads up, shun!

shunlvswx
08-25-2015, 10:14 PM
I looked on Martina's, Merle's and Dolly's website. Martina and Merle have a lot of open dates in October and November (they do have concert dates in those months). Don't know about Dolly. I couldn't find any of her tour dates. So any of them can be at any of the dates.

AlreadyGone95
08-26-2015, 05:32 PM
(I'm not sure if this belongs here or not. If it doesn't, I'll delete the post).

Got this article in a Don Henley Google alert. It's about the musician who originally did the song Bramble Rose. Don covers the song on the album with Mick Jagger. Apparently, the cover is giving the lady a boost in popularity.
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/aug/26/tift-merritt-you-dont-need-a-lawnmower-or-a-truck-to-write-country-music

Keith
08-27-2015, 06:34 AM
(I'm not sure if this belongs here or not. If it doesn't, I'll delete the post).

Got this article in a Don Henley Google alert. It's about the musician who originally did the song Bramble Rose. Don covers the song on the album with Mick Jagger. Apparently, the cover is giving the lady a boost in popularity.
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/aug/26/tift-merritt-you-dont-need-a-lawnmower-or-a-truck-to-write-country-music

I saw Tift Merrit open for Mary Chapin Carpenter last year in Florence, SC.
She was hanging out in the lobby after the show. If I would have known that Don was covering her work, I would have gotten her to sign my program.

shunlvswx
08-28-2015, 08:20 PM
I saw this article on Twitter about That Old Flame. Interesting review on it.

http://don-henley.musicnewshq.com/news/grooves-n-jams-that-old-flame-by-don-henley-ft-martina-mcbride-2?utm_campaign=social-repost&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=text

AlreadyGone95
08-29-2015, 12:53 AM

http://don-henley.musicnewshq.com/news/grooves-n-jams-that-old-flame-by-don-henley-ft-martina-mcbride-2?utm_campaign=social-repost&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=text

Interesting is probably an understatement, I think.

Funk 50
08-29-2015, 06:51 AM
Don's this week's, record of the week on BBC Radio 2, which, I think, has the biggest listener-ship in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/playlist#rotw

DivineDon
08-29-2015, 09:22 AM
Don's this week's, record of the week on BBC Radio 2, which, I think, has the biggest listener-ship in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/playlist#rotw

That's terrific, Funk50:thumbsup: I think TAPOT is my favourite from those released so far :)

DivineDon
08-29-2015, 09:28 AM

Wow, whatever the reviewer's opinion of Don being 'vicious' - I think he/she wrote a pretty vicious review. Talk about putting your own interpretation on something! He/she obviously does not rate Don highly as an individual and is just superimposing their views onto this song...strange.

UndertheWire
08-29-2015, 11:15 AM
It seems to be a case of knowing too much - or thinking you know too much - before listening to the song. I'm scratching my head over Frey's woman-hating songs.

AlreadyGone95
08-29-2015, 12:09 PM
The only song that could be considered a bit "woman hating" is Lyin' Eyes(with the love triangle), but that song was written by both Glenn and Don!

I guess it's impossible to be unbiased (either way) when writing reviews.

08-29-2015, 12:44 PM
Yeah that review is certainly a different interpretation than mine. Actually, of the four songs that I've heard from Cass County, That Old Flame is my favorite. I love the upbeat tempo and Don's and Martina's voices together.

shunlvswx
09-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Since Don sang some of the Cass County's song. Here's an article from last night's taping. Don looks good. Looks like he dyed his hair and I love his clothes. No plaid shirt. Looks like some of the musicians are wearing hats.

http://music.blog.austin360.com/2015/09/02/don-henley-makes-it-count-in-acl-tv-debut/

Brooke
09-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Sounds fantastic! Can't wait to see it!

And, Talking to the Moon! :yay:

shunlvswx
09-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Oh. There's a music video for Take A Picture of This, but I can't get it up. I guess us fans crashed the video.

I'll post it when I can get it working.

shunlvswx
09-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Here's the video. I had to use another link. Don looks good in it. Nice to see the band in the video.

http://news.iheart.com/articles/entertainment-news-104658/watch-don-henley-lets-the-music-13910710/

shunlvswx
09-02-2015, 05:41 PM
OMG. My radio station here in Jackson, Mississippi called the River posted Don's video on their facebook page.

AlreadyGone95
09-02-2015, 05:43 PM
I like the video, the simplicity of it. I think it fits the song. Don looks great in black.

shunlvswx
09-02-2015, 05:47 PM
I like simple videos. You don't need half naked women or a huge expensive video to get your point across. I love simple video. You can get your point across with a simple video.

Will's hands is gets its fame. You get a glance of Will, but you can't see his face that well. LOL We barely see Steuart and Scott, but I'm guessing that's Scott beating the drums.

I like the black clothes Don has on. Looks like the whole band is wearing black.

Freypower
09-02-2015, 06:45 PM
I didn't mind it but female backing singers are not my thing. It's nice to see him play an instrument in a solo video.

sodascouts
09-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Awesome!! He looks amazing in that video, although I like concept videos better than videos that consist simply of the artist and his band performing the song.

Love the song, though, and that's what's most important!

Freypower
09-02-2015, 09:15 PM
CC is in Rolling Stone's list of must hear upcoming releases.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/fall-music-preview-2015-30-must-hear-albums-20150902

shunlvswx
09-03-2015, 07:49 AM
I found this online. It looked like Don had a private concert in Austin last night.

https://instagram.com/p/7JV2t6L-Ea/

Here's Don with Bob.
https://instagram.com/p/7Jm4FxkHju/

https://instagram.com/p/7JlkO3kHhR/

LuvTim
09-03-2015, 08:52 AM
I found this online. It looked like Don had a private concert in Austin.

https://instagram.com/p/7JV2t6L-Ea/

Here's Don with Bob.
https://instagram.com/p/7Jm4FxkHju/

https://instagram.com/p/7JlkO3kHhR/

Jealous.:jealous:

jms18222
09-03-2015, 11:58 AM
A rare smile & back to plaid flannel :brickwall:

AlreadyGone95
09-03-2015, 12:17 PM
I love the photo with Bob, and that plaid shirt doesn't look that bad.

Just keep giving us some variety Don! Don't wear the plaid all the time and smile more, please! You'd make your female fans very happy. :)

shunlvswx
09-03-2015, 02:27 PM
A new article from Billboard. Don and Stan talk about That Old Flame.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/country/6685784/don-henley-martina-mcbride-make-big-statement-in-short-bursts

shunlvswx
09-03-2015, 03:10 PM
To tell the truth. I do like concept videos, but I also want it to equal meaning I still want to see the singer in the video and not just the actors for majority of the video. I love videos where the artist is also one of the main characters in the video.

Isn't this Don's first video where its only him and his band because I know for his other videos he had the actors in them.

I really hope Don does a music video for That Old Flame. I think that's going to be a great video. I'm trying to picture how the video will be. Don and Martina in separate scenes and may come together at the end or may not. Have some actors and maybe a fire in the mist of the video. I really hope there's a video for this song.

Brooke
09-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Here's the video. I had to use another link. Don looks good in it. Nice to see the band in the video.

http://news.iheart.com/articles/entertainment-news-104658/watch-don-henley-lets-the-music-13910710/

Love! :heart:

The girls don't do much, actually. It's mostly Don and he sounds FABULOUS!

shunlvswx
09-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Love! :heart:

The girls don't do much, actually. It's mostly Don and he sounds FABULOUS!

You're right. They're just standing looking pretty. :hilarious:

NOLA
09-03-2015, 06:16 PM
Shun, thanks for all of the news on the Austin shows and related videos! Can't wait until I have my hands on Cass County!

shunlvswx
09-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Heck. If I was Don standing a few feet from him, I'll just forget about singing and just stare at him. Lol Maybe sing a few notes.

Those backup singers look so young, but they are so lucky to sing with the best.

shunlvswx
09-04-2015, 10:44 PM
A nice small paragraph about Martina's appearance on the Austin City Limits taping and the private concert the next night. Don is mention. I love the picture in the article. Can I be Martina in that picture.

I forgot Martina sung with Bob for the Hope Floats soundtrack.

http://www.musicrow.com/2015/09/artist-updates-trisha-yearwood-martina-mcbride-ty-herndon/

AlreadyGone95
09-04-2015, 11:00 PM
I came across Target's preorder for Cass County while looking for other things on their site. The track listing contains 2 bonus "exclusive" songs, bringing the total number of songs to 18. Yeah, think that I might wait and go to my local target to buy the album there.

http://m.target.com/p/don-henley-cass-county/-/A-46786549

shunlvswx
09-04-2015, 11:05 PM
I saw that today. I haven't preordered yet other than buying Take A PIcture of This and That Old Flame.

I guess I'm heading to Target on the 25th. I really hope my local Target stores will be selling Don's new CD.

AlreadyGone95
09-04-2015, 11:18 PM
I was gonna preorder the album from Don's site tomorrow, but since it'll be released on Spotify on the 25th, I'll just wait until October and find it locally (FYE,Target or Walmart)

Funk 50
09-05-2015, 04:20 AM
I came across Target's preorder for Cass County while looking for other things on their site. The track listing contains 2 bonus "exclusive" songs, bringing the total number of songs to 18. Yeah, think that I might wait and go to my local target to buy the album there.

http://m.target.com/p/don-henley-cass-county/-/A-46786549

That's great news AG95! It actually says two exclusive tracks so I wouldn't be so sure that they are exclusive songs. Would Don force his most loyal fans to buy multiple copies of his CD? What about us fans who can't get to Target?

Don's performed enough interesting live covers to make two exclusive tracks an alluring prospect, whatever they are. Anything from the recent Austin City Limits live performance would be a treat, especially Talking To The Moon and The End Of The Innocence:thumbsup:

DivineDon
09-05-2015, 10:47 AM
A new article from Billboard. Don and Stan talk about That Old Flame.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/country/6685784/don-henley-martina-mcbride-make-big-statement-in-short-bursts

Gosh - that was really interesting, thanks Shun. I wonder which of Don's exes got in touch with him??? I also like his line that 'the hole is just as important as the donut!!!' :hilarious:

Typical Don - that's why I love him :)

AlreadyGone95
09-05-2015, 11:15 AM
That's great news AG95! It actually says two exclusive tracks so I wouldn't be so sure that they are exclusive songs. Would Don force his most loyal fans to buy multiple copies of his CD? What about us fans who can't get to Target?

I always thought that tracks and songs were the same thing. It says "exclusive" on the packaging, so I assumed that Target has the dibs on this version of the album.

Freypower
09-05-2015, 06:19 PM
I'm sorry but why would Target of all places be releasing an album with two extra tracks? You will notice it doesn't say what they actually are. I am very dubious about this.

jms18222
09-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Heck. If I was Don standing a few feet from him, I'll just forget about singing and just stare at him. Lol Maybe sing a few notes.

Those backup singers look so young, but they are so lucky to sing with the best.

Oh I don't know about that! They are young enough to be his daughters to really close to be "granddaughters". They look really young.

scottside
09-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Target often has exclusive tracks on the hits cds they carry. I have no idea how they got to be so important in the big screen of things, but almost every major new release gets at least one exclusive track. Most of the times they are additional new songs (i.e. the most recent Boz Scaggs and Coldplay cds), but sometimes they are songs recorded years ago that have never appeared elsewhere (James Taylor) or even live cuts. I would be willing to bet the two Henley extras are worth having as they could very well be extras (i.e. "Seven Bridges Road" which he apparently did record but ditched for the new album).

shunlvswx
09-06-2015, 03:17 PM
This was on the Capitol Records website.

http://www.capitolrecords.com/don-henley-announces-cass-county/

Freypower
09-06-2015, 07:19 PM
Target often has exclusive tracks on the hits cds they carry. I have no idea how they got to be so important in the big screen of things, but almost every major new release gets at least one exclusive track. Most of the times they are additional new songs (i.e. the most recent Boz Scaggs and Coldplay cds), but sometimes they are songs recorded years ago that have never appeared elsewhere (James Taylor) or even live cuts. I would be willing to bet the two Henley extras are worth having as they could very well be extras (i.e. "Seven Bridges Road" which he apparently did record but ditched for the new album).

As I have said before we don't know for certain that he recorded 7BR. I think they were doing it as a vocal warmup. I have ordered my copy from amazon.co.uk & without any more information I certainly wouldn't be ordering a copy from Target (obviously if someone here does buy the CD from Target they can tell us what these tracks are).

AlreadyGone95
09-06-2015, 09:34 PM
I don't know why Target is keeping the names of the songs a secret. Maybe the names will be revealed after the album is released? :shrug:. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

scottside
09-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Sometimes Target updates their website before release date so that's a possibility. Or else, it'll get leaked from another source. That was the case for the latest Bob Seger album.

09-07-2015, 01:07 PM
Yeah - The announcement about the Target CD is one reason I don't preorder any more. I'll just go to Target on the 25th and buy the CD with the extra tracks.

And I enjoyed reading the article about That Old Flame. As I mentioned previously, it is my favorite song from the album that I've heard so far. Not a lot details about who the old flame was that reached out to Don. I think his longest '80's flame' was Maren Jensen, but that doesn't mean it was her.

shunlvswx
09-07-2015, 01:32 PM
I'm starting to love to Old That Flame. Its becoming my favorite even though TAPOT and OTF were my favorite the beginning. I'm starting to repeat that song on my phone.

I did something interesting yesterday. So I looked up what ember means because I was wonder if that was an actually word. Heck if I was saying the right word in the lyrics since I've never heard of ember. So here's the definition of ember.

Ember is glow very hot, sometimes as hot as the fire which created them. They radiate a substantial amount of heat long after the fire has been extinguished, and if not taken care of properly can rekindle a fire that is thought to be completely extinguished and can pose a fire hazardI now know what the lyrics means, "There is danger, in the embers. You have only yourself to blame. You can get burned when you're trying to rekindle that old flame." Only Don can make a word sound interesting.

shunlvswx
09-07-2015, 01:42 PM
I just noticed something. Go back to this link and look on the side. I hope that's right. If so. Go Don.

Funk 50
09-07-2015, 02:23 PM
As I have said before we don't know for certain that he recorded 7BR. I think they were doing it as a vocal warmup. I have ordered my copy from amazon.co.uk & without any more information I certainly wouldn't be ordering a copy from Target (obviously if someone here does buy the CD from Target they can tell us what these tracks are).

The recording industry has progressed since the analog 70s. I'd expect everything to be recorded with digital technology.

There was a version of Long Road Out Of Eden which had Hole In The World and Please Come Home For Christmas on it. Although they are, by no means, exclusive tracks, I'd expect the Target exclusives to be something similar.

I'm not surprised that they haven't announced what the extra tracks are yet. If they are something very desirable, it's going to annoy all their retail competitors, and many Henley fans, to say the least.

jms18222
09-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Yeah - The announcement about the Target CD is one reason I don't preorder any more. I'll just go to Target on the 25th and buy the CD with the extra tracks.

And I enjoyed reading the article about That Old Flame. As I mentioned previously, it is my favorite song from the album that I've heard so far. Not a lot details about who the old flame was that reached out to Don. I think his longest '80's flame' was Maren Jensen, but that doesn't mean it was her.

My money goes on the jewelry designer who he based Wasted Time on. Her name escapes me at the moment and I am too tired to google it.

shunlvswx
09-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Don has moved up to no. 14 for the week of September 19. Go Don!!! He could have a top 10 hit in the Adult Contemporary charts.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/adult-contemporary/2015-09-19

AlreadyGone95
09-09-2015, 11:42 AM
Congrats Don! Nice to see him up there alongside the "hot, young" artists of today. :applause:

DivineDon
09-09-2015, 11:52 AM
My money goes on the jewelry designer who he based Wasted Time on. Her name escapes me at the moment and I am too tired to google it.

Hmmm, the article said it was an ex from the 80s. As far as I know he ended with Lois Chiles fairly amicably and I think he's still friendly with Maren Jensen but that still leaves quite a few!!! ... Dana Delaney, Beverly D'Angelo and was it Walter Mondale's daughter among others??? Correct me if I'm wrong - I tend to block out the fact that Don had loads of girlfriends and now has a wife and children! It ruins my fantasy :hilarious:

shunlvswx
09-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Just saw this on Don's Facebook page. When I Stop Dreaming will make its world premiere on CMT Hot 20 Countdown this Saturday at 9a/8c. How cool.

http://www.cmt.com/show/hot_20_countdown/

When did Don have time to do the videos. LOL It looks like he's wearing the same clothes he was wearing in Take a Picture Of This and the setting looks the same. I need to watch Take a Picture of This Again. I see Will and Lance in the background.

I'm looking forward to see the video on Saturday.

jms18222
09-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Hmmm, the article said it was an ex from the 80s. As far as I know he ended with Lois Chiles fairly amicably and I think he's still friendly with Maren Jensen but that still leaves quite a few!!! ... Dana Delaney, Beverly D'Angelo and was it Walter Mondale's daughter among others??? Correct me if I'm wrong - I tend to block out the fact that Don had loads of girlfriends and now has a wife and children! It ruins my fantasy :hilarious:

Too funny! To be truthful I really don't have any interest in his love life past, present or future but geeze the man has been around. He knows who the song is about and I am fine with that. Then again isn't he still fairly close to Maren Jensen & her husband so he should know she's doing just fine.

jms18222
09-10-2015, 02:10 PM
It was nice waking up to am email from "Don Henley". I didn't know we were going to receive a cd with the purchase of concert tickets. Wouldn't doing that hurt cd sales?

Witchy Woman
09-10-2015, 02:59 PM
I got my e-mail today too. I don't think it will hurt his sales, as the price was probably factored into the ticket price. So, we bought it either way.

sodascouts
09-10-2015, 10:07 PM
It was nice waking up to am email from "Don Henley". I didn't know we were going to receive a cd with the purchase of concert tickets. Wouldn't doing that hurt cd sales?

No, those will be counted as "units sold" in the Billboard charts. Thus, Don guarantees he's going to get some pretty good numbers. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether these count as "pre-sales" or whether they will be counted towards first week sales. If it's the latter, he might get a #1 debut largely due to the strength of these "free CDs."

Clever boy! But he's not the only artist to use that trick, and it benefits us as well. We get a CD and we get to see our guy at the top of the charts. Plus, people who might otherwise not have bought the CD now have it. I'm cool with it!

shunlvswx
09-10-2015, 10:23 PM
That is smart and clever. You gotta love Don. I had wonder too how they will work the free cds in.

I'm wonder when he will start doing daytime and nighttime talk shows. If he wants more exposure and get good sells, he needs to also do talk shows and even some radio interviews. With When I Stop Dreaming makes its world premiere this Saturday, he's probably going to get a good response.

I just wish he had That Old Flame as his first country video. With Martina still hot on the charts, her fans can help us make TOF a huge hit on the country charts. They probably will make video (if they already have and just won't put it out just yet) a video.

sodascouts
09-10-2015, 11:37 PM
I bet it won't be long before he starts the promotional appearances. Next week, perhaps?

I was just thinking about how many copies of this album I'm going to have. I'm getting that fancy pre-order bundle, I'm getting two CDs with my two tickets, and now it looks like I'll have to get another copy from Target in order to get those exclusive tracks.

These marketing techniques work like a charm on a hardcore like me!

shunlvswx
09-11-2015, 07:21 AM
Train in the Distance is now available.

I just finished listening to it. I like it. I think the rest of his songs will probably sound country. The lyrics are great.

Based on the 5 songs that have came out already, I think I'm going to like the album. I still don't like When I Stop Dreaming, but I can't wait to see the video tomorrow morning.

This will probably be the last song to be available for preview before the album comes out in 2 weeks. OMG. Two more weeks ladies. :partytime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-1poC9IGSc

AlreadyGone95
09-11-2015, 01:14 PM
Can't wait to get home and give that song a listen! (Or 10). I'm definitely saving some of my birthday money to buy the album! I'll probably have to wait until October to get my hands on a physical copy of the album, but I'll be listening to it via Spotify! :partytime:

Brooke
09-11-2015, 03:08 PM
I like! As with all of the songs I've heard so far! I think Don definitely has a winner here!

Can't wait to get the cd!

sodascouts
09-11-2015, 08:42 PM
It won't be long now... so excited!

jms18222
09-11-2015, 10:09 PM
Can't wait to get home and give that song a listen! (Or 10). I'm definitely saving some of my birthday money to buy the album! I'll probably have to wait until October to get my hands on a physical copy of the album, but I'll be listening to it via Spotify! :partytime:

I'm getting 2 copies I will gladly give you 1.

I think this is the evil genius of Irving Azoff, including a cd purchase with every ticket purchased. I just wish I had been given the option of having 1 be an itunes download.

shunlvswx
09-11-2015, 10:30 PM
You gotta give Irving credit if he did think of this (of course if he is behind this. Does anybody know if Iriving is still Don's manager). He and Don had to find a good way to sell his cd.

I still laugh seeing Don's music on YouTube and his representatives posting on Facebook. Two social media sites he hates, but yet he's putting his hatred of social media aside to use in his advantage to get his music out there. Its working.

scottside
09-11-2015, 11:38 PM
The two Target exclusive cuts are "Gettin' Into" and "Fire." No info on who the writers are or anything else about them. There will also be a Walmart exclusive edition which is about $25 retail. That one might have some sort of special packaging and I heard dvd mentioned. No confirmation....yet.

sodascouts
09-12-2015, 01:00 AM
Walmart too? Ack!

Funk 50
09-12-2015, 05:06 AM
The two Target exclusive cuts are "Gettin' Into" and "Fire." No info on who the writers are or anything else about them. There will also be a Walmart exclusive edition which is about $25 retail. That one might have some sort of special packaging and I heard dvd mentioned. No confirmation....yet.

Are you sure Scottside? I was struggling to believe that Don would release a song titled Getting Into

Canaan Smith - Bronco [Album] - 2015

1 - Good Kinda Bad
2 - Stompin' Grounds
3 - Love You Like That
4 - Hole In A Bottle
5 - Stuck
6 - One Of Those
7 - Mad Love
8 - Love At First
9 - American Muscle
10 - Two Lane Road
11 - Bronco
12 - Getting' Into (Target Exclusive)
13 - Fire (Target Exclusive

That's some coincidence!

Incidentally, I think I'm going to like Train In The Distance. :)

LuvTim
09-12-2015, 09:01 AM
I love Lucinda Williams (she's unique, in my mind) and so when I found that she was singing harmony with Don on TITD, I was so excited, and just couldn't wait to hear it. :partytime: Bonus!

NOLA
09-12-2015, 10:24 AM
I love the simplicity and reminiscence throughout all of these songs. It's like a trip down Don's memory lane, and I'm very happy that he seems comfortable with sharing select parts of his personal history. :)

scottside
09-12-2015, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=Funk 50;310139]Are you sure Scottside? I was struggling to believe that Don would release a song titled Getting Into

That's some coincidence!

I stand corrected, but this is what I had copied from countrystandardtime.com:

Don Henley - Cass County (Capitol) The Eagles drummer .... A Target exclusive release features two bonus tracks, "Gettin' Into" and "Fire."

Keith
09-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Just listened to "Train in the Distance". Good song. The instrumentation reminded me of James Taylor's music and I couldn't shake the mistaken thought that I was listening to Henley cover a Taylor song.

shunlvswx
09-12-2015, 11:55 AM
OK. The world premiere of When I Stop Dreaming was on the CMT Hot Top 20 Countdown. I just watched it, it was a nice video and cute. Dolly and Don look nice in in their black. I just remembered that Dolly is only a year older than Don.

Watching the video, the song might grow on me after seeing the video. Its not as bad as the single. The vocals were great even Dolly's. I love the end. Its too cute.

It might be available on Don's website and YouTube very soon. I hope this video is played a lot on CMT and GAC.

09-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Yeah - I think I like Train in the Distance.

Okay - I'm definitely ready to hear the whole album now. I'm one that still likes to listen to an album start to finish. Sometimes the sequencing of the songs changes my perspective and can influence how I feel about a particular song and the album as a whole.

ETA: And scottside thanks for the info about the two bonus tracks. We appreciate everyone keeping us posted with whatever updates you receive. You never can be sure how reliable info is that comes out over the internet, but, at least if we know about it, all of us hardcores can usually sort it out. :thumbsup:

AlreadyGone95
09-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Each time I hear a new song, it becomes my favorite. Cass County will definitely be a great album. I love Train in the Distance! It and Praying for Rain are my 2 favorites for sure. Both hit home with me.

jms18222
09-12-2015, 03:17 PM
Daym Dolly looks fantastic! She had to of been standing on a box, she's as short as I am he's as tall as my husband was & I reached his shoulders.

Now I lived this version of the song so much more that the audio version. Black works so well on Don & just the right amount of scruffiness.:partytime:

Just noticed he seemed to be checking Dolly's considerable "assets" when she is singing her verse. :nahnah:

maryc2130
09-12-2015, 04:51 PM
I just listened to "Train in the Distance" for the first time, and I think it's my favorite so far. Don's voice and the harmonies sound great, and I adore the lyrics, especially the part about making friends with your angels and demons 'cause they're with you all the way (obviously not an exact quote). Knowing Don, I'm sure the "promises to keep" line is a mindful quote of Frost's poem. I think each song I've heard I've liked a little better than the last. My least favorite is "Take a Picture of This". For some reason, it doesn't resonate with me, and it reminds me of another song (I don't think by Henley or the Eagles), but I can't remember what it is.

Can't wait for the album, and I'd LOVE to see the video of Don and Dolly. Hope it's up on his website/Youtube soon!

Thanks everyone for keeping us updating on all this exciting news!

shunlvswx
09-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Here's the link to When I Stop Dreaming video for those who haven't seen it yet. Its on CMT's website.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/don-henley/1239356/when-i-stop-dreaming.jhtml?fb_ref=fbshare_web

Freypower
09-12-2015, 07:07 PM
When I clicked on that link I got an error code.

shunlvswx
09-12-2015, 07:29 PM
That's weird. It comes up when I click on the link. I was going to get the link from Don's facebook page, but its the same one I posted.

Freypower
09-12-2015, 08:27 PM
I tried it from there too, and it still didn't work. I will have to wait for it to show up on YouTube.

As for Train In The Distance, it's pleasant enough, but I can't say I loved it.

DivineDon
09-13-2015, 04:09 AM
Error comes up for me too and I'm dying to see it :(

Funk 50
09-13-2015, 04:31 AM
Yeah - I think I like Train in the Distance.

Okay - I'm definitely ready to hear the whole album now. I'm one that still likes to listen to an album start to finish. Sometimes the sequencing of the songs changes my perspective and can influence how I feel about a particular song and the album as a whole.

ETA: And scottside thanks for the info about the two bonus tracks. We appreciate everyone keeping us posted with whatever updates you receive. You never can be sure how reliable info is that comes out over the internet, but, at least if we know about it, all of us hardcores can usually sort it out. :thumbsup:

I'll second that, thanks Scottside.

It's a bit of an anti climax to put a highly anticipated, brand new, album on for the first time, when you're already familiar with half the tracks but I've listened to the preview tracks very sparingly so I'm quite looking forward to giving Cass County it's maiden voyage very soon. :)

maryc2130
09-13-2015, 08:19 AM
I'm thinking that when the CD is released, the free stuff will disappear. But I could be wrong.

Loved the video of When I Stop Dreaming. Those two are just too adorable together! It's hard to believe they're in their upper 60s. They look and sound fantastic!

shunlvswx
09-13-2015, 08:24 AM
I don't know, Mary. I think its going to stay on YouTube. I definitely see it staying on Don's website.

I think CMT probably has that restriction of people seeing their videos in other countries. I know we have that problem when there's an interview in Europe or Australia and its not available for us in the US.

DivineDon
09-13-2015, 08:57 AM
It's not fair!!! I love When I stop dreamin' and I'd love to see Don and Dolly. Any genius out there who knows about these things and might be able to convert it to some format where those outside the US could see it? - I'm surprised it's not on available like TAPOT :brickwall:

09-13-2015, 02:48 PM
... but I've listened to the preview tracks very sparingly so I'm quite looking forward to giving Cass County it's maiden voyage very soon. :)

Well put F50 - I'm right there with you!

And I can see the video fine, so it probably is a regional thing. Don and Dolly both look great and the song is growing on me some. :thumbsup:

jms18222
09-13-2015, 03:18 PM
Error comes up for me too and I'm dying to see it :(

I wish I could hold my phone up to my TV & record it for you. This had been my least favorite song that had been released now I love it. I think what I minded was the distortion of audio from the speakers at the Eagles live shows. Dang that man can sing the ingredient label & make it sound sexy.

alexandranick
09-13-2015, 08:03 PM
It's not fair!!! I love When I stop dreamin' and I'd love to see Don and Dolly. Any genius out there who knows about these things and might be able to convert it to some format where those outside the US could see it? - I'm surprised it's not on available like TAPOT :brickwall:

Don't worry!chinese friends can help you,Click it
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTMzNDQxMzU4MA==.html

Freypower
09-13-2015, 08:22 PM
Well, it didn't. It didn't load.

L101
09-14-2015, 03:42 AM
Don't worry!chinese friends can help you,Click it
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTMzNDQxMzU4MA==.html

It worked (in Ireland) !! :thumbsup: Thanks for that. Great video, they both look and sound fantastic. The song might grow on me a bit more if I watch the video a few more times :)