PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Centre Honorees

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DivineDon
07-15-2015, 11:20 AM
Just saw this on Facebook from the Eagles Fastlane page - wasn't sure where to put it so here goes anyway...seems like the 'boys' are to honoured at last - and about time too!

http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/george-lucas-rita-moreno-cicely-tyson-kennedy-center-honors-1201540619/#

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Eagles Fastlane just posted this. The guys will FINALLY be honored at the Kennedy Center Honors later this year. Its about time and I'm glad they will finally honored the guys. I will get to watch it. Now the question or guessing game is who will be singing their songs.

http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/george-lucas-rita-moreno-cicely-tyson-kennedy-center-honors-1201540619/

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 11:24 AM
I think we posted at the same time. :hilarious:

MaryCalifornia
07-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Fantastic! Sounds like it will be the current members only.

I have a friend who works this event every year and is backstage with the honorees, perhaps I should volunteer my services?? :drool:

Brooke
07-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Awesome news!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Thank you DivineDon and Shun for the heads up. Fortunately, we have our ways of independantly getting information, the Twitterverse has exploded with it! It's an incredible honor and I've never been able to figure out why they've not received it before now.

ETA: Tickets for this event are not yet available, and a time has not yet been set. The Kennedy Center doesn't know when the information will be available.

AlreadyGone95
07-15-2015, 12:21 PM
Wow! Indeed what an honor, and of course, the guys deserve it! I wonder why only the 4 current members being honored? Seems like they'd want all 7 members to be recognized. :shrug:. Oh well, at least they're being honored!

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Yehaw!!!! Finally!!! I guess all those years of trying to get them honorees, its finally happens. Joe and Don's page posted this statement.

The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts today announced that the Eagles will be among 6 honorees who will receive the 2015 Kennedy Center Honors. The Honors Gala will be recorded for broadcast on the CBS Network for the 38th consecutive year as a two-hour primetime special on Tuesday, December 29 at 9:00 p.m.

"We are deeply grateful to have been named a Kennedy Center honoree. The members of the Eagles hail from different regions of this great nation and we feel very fortunate that our music has been embraced by people from all walks of life, all over the world. Popular music is one of America's greatest exports – a bridge that spans geographical and cultural boundaries. We are truly humbled to have been able to be a part of this global connection. Many thanks to our fans, our fellow artists and the Kennedy Center for this recognition.”
~ EAGLES

GlennLover
07-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Fantastic news! I wondered why they had not been honoured before this as well.

UndertheWire
07-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Great news, but I'm not looking forward to all the complaints about which members will be honored.

DivineDon
07-15-2015, 12:53 PM
Great minds think alike, Shun!

Us over here in Europe and beyond wil have to rely on you guys to give us every detail 'cos we won't be able to see it :worried:

...so glad they're finally getting their due recognition...does Obama usually attend this?

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Is it doesn't get deleted, I do expect it to be on YouTube. A lot of the show's clips are on Youtube and they are the full performance. I even found Billy Joel's one.

Yes he will be there. Ever since they started this, all the presidents have been there. They sit right up there with the honorees. They are usually honored at the White House first before they tape the tv version. Too bad we can't see what is said at the White House.

Funk 50
07-15-2015, 01:21 PM
Forgive my ignorance but the Kennedy Centre Honours means nothing to me.

What is the significance of Kennedy Centre Honours?
Is Kennedy the former president of America?

I was just thinking what a great honour it was for Joe to be featured on a mural in Ohio. I suppose this tops it.

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 01:27 PM
Here a nice video of who are the honorees for this year.

https://www.facebook.com/KennedyCenter/videos/vb.73250630864/10153307654550865/?type=2&theater

AlreadyGone95
07-15-2015, 01:28 PM

I was just thinking what a great honour it was for Joe to be featured on a mural in Ohio. I suppose this tops it.

It's an annual event that honors those in the performing arts who have contributed the most to American culture. It's like the cream of the crop for honors. Yes the event and the place where the honors take place (John F. Kennedy theater for the performing arts) are named after President Kennedy.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2015, 01:31 PM

F50, here is a link to the Center.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/

It's the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Their 'About' page is pretty substantial and gives a lot of information, but it doesn't give much about the Honors Award. It is given as a Lifetime Achievement-Type award for all those who have contributed greatly to the Arts (in its various forms) in the United States. The award is not limited to US artists, just those who have impacted our society. For instance, Led Zeppelin received the Honors Award a few years ago.

Here are some quotes about this year's Award from their website:

"Quite simply," said Kennedy Center Chairman David M. Rubenstein, "our Honorees represent the voices, soundtracks, and stories of our personal lives and memories."
"When I look at this year's outstanding slate of Honorees, I am struck by a powerful common theme-artists as history-makers, artists who defy both convention and category," commented Kennedy Center President Deborah F. Rutter.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2015, 01:35 PM
BTW, tickets to this event are usually very hard to get. It's one of the prime social events in Washington, DC. However, the Kennedy Center will be giving away two tickets through social media. All I know about is that the hashtag will be #SendMeToHonors, or something like that. When they release more information on it, I'll be sure to post it.

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 01:36 PM

Its a nice honor. They honor people in television, music, dance, etc. They honor about 5 every year. Its a week long celebration The president honors them at a private dinner. Then they have many people at Kennedy Center to honor them with song and even dance. The taping is usually 3 weeks before its televised. Here's more on the Kennedy Center Honors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_Center_Honors

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 01:36 PM
VA. We were posting at the same time. LOL

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2015, 01:42 PM
I read this earlier today and it may be of interest for those who have followed this event through the years. The administration of the Center and the Honors have changed and there have been some changes, like 5 Honorees instead of 4. When I lived in the DC area, it was always a huge splash that was covered on all the local media, and I'm sure still is. God willing I'll be back in the area by Dec. I've decided that horrible traffic, appalling weather, high prices, and mosquitoes are better than being here.

Brooke
07-15-2015, 01:50 PM
What a great honor for the Eagles! I'm so glad for them! Sounds like they are pretty excited too!

Brooke
07-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Here a nice video of who are the honorees for this year.

https://www.facebook.com/KennedyCenter/videos/vb.73250630864/10153307654550865/?type=2&theater

I noticed it didn't say The Eagles! :lol:

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 01:54 PM
I think we haven't been this excited since RRHOF. We are so looking forward to this. I usually watch every year.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2015, 01:56 PM
What a great honor for the Eagles! I'm so glad for them! Sounds like they are pretty excited too!

It's an incredible honor. I've attached a list. When you think about it, it's only five artists a year across all performing arts, so it's a pretty exclusive club.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/specialevents/honors/history.cfm

AlreadyGone95
07-15-2015, 01:56 PM
This year, they have 6 honorees instead of 5. Also, I think that's cool that Carole King will be honored alongside the Eagles. :thumbsup:

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 01:58 PM
Also. I might be wrong with this, but not that many groups have been honored. Even though McCartney/Lennon and Roger/Pete were honored, but they weren't honored as The Beatles or The Who. The only group that I know of that has been honored as a whole is Led Zeppelin. The Eagles will be the second group to be honored.

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 02:11 PM
I take back what I said. Only Paul was honored. I think if John Entwistle was still alive, he probably would be honored with Roger and Pete because I saw Roger and Pete of the Who. So its probably safe to say that the Eagles are the third band to be honored.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2015, 02:36 PM
If anyone is interested, here (http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/specialevents/honors/history.cfm) is a list of past honorees.

I posted it above.

WalshFan88
07-15-2015, 02:37 PM
Awesome! Well deserved.

AlreadyGone95
07-15-2015, 02:42 PM
I posted it above.

:oops:, Sorry I didn't see it. I apologize for re-posting it.

L101
07-15-2015, 02:43 PM
:partytime: Brilliant news - glad they are finally honored. :partytime:
And my avatar is of Don honoring Billy Joel in 2013 so he's ready with his suit anyway lol

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2015, 02:47 PM
I think we haven't been this excited since RRHOF. We are so looking forward to this. I usually watch every year.

Shun, in my opinion, this is a bigger deal than the RRHOF. For one, it was a given our guys would get in, and two, they let just about anyone in. The Beastie Boys? Parliament Funkadelic? The Ronettes? These are bands that contributed, don't get me wrong, but it's not exactly an exclusive club.

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 03:22 PM
You know something, VA. I've actually never thought of it that way before. Looking at it now, this is a huge honor because they just don't put anybody in compare to the RRHOF.

I think I was just saying we haven't had anything big like this (meaning a big honor) in a long time. That's why I brought up RRHOF.

Funk 50
07-15-2015, 03:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It looks a big deal. The US equivalent of our (UK's) honours list. Maybe even more exclusive.

Is this going to be a reunion of the 7 or a bone of contention.

Congratulations to the band and all the people that recommended them.

I can't believe how much Joe's life has turned around in the last 20 odd years.

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 03:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It looks a big deal. The US equivalent of our (UK's) honours list. Maybe even more exclusive.

Is this going to be a reunion of the 7 or a bone of contention.

Congratulations to the band and all the people that recommended them.

I can't believe how much Joe's life has turned around in the last 20 odd years.

From what I read, it sounds like just the current members. It could changed, but I doubt it.

UndertheWire
07-15-2015, 03:54 PM
I wonder when the band heard about it. Didn't someone mention they seemed particularly happy at a recent show?

cynd1231
07-15-2015, 04:01 PM
This is THE MOST exciting news!! I've already marked my calendar to watch!

cynd1231
07-15-2015, 04:51 PM
L-O-N-G time coming but SO well-deserved! All of the info indicates it will be Don, Glenn, Joe and Timothy which surprises me a bit. But we don't know at this point what may go on behind the scenes with regard to Bernie, Randy and Felder. I guess all we can do is keep an ear to the ground regarding the 'formers'. I, for one, would like to see all of them honored although I'm sure there are those who won't agree. In any event, I'm so excited for them and all that it means. I also wonder if Linda Ronstadt put a bug in someone's ear! I know that a lot of us here on The Border have submitted them thru the years. Next stop: The Smithsonian!

Brooke
07-15-2015, 04:58 PM
Someone needs to attach this thread to the other one where there are more comments..........

Keith
07-15-2015, 05:18 PM
Legends. Icons. Well deserved.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-15-2015, 05:36 PM
CONGRATS EAGLES!!!

This is AWESOME news and much well deserved. It's funny but Soda, Houston Baby, and I were discussing this just the other day. I was thinking that only individuals were eligible to be an honoree.I was actually going to check it out this week to see if that were true, but I guess I got my answer. :thumbsup:

And I went ahead and merged the two threads that had been started. And just a reminder: While we appreciate folks being so diligent in posting info about the band, if you see that you have posted duplicate information that someone else posted first, you can always delete your post or thread yourself without moderator intervention.

Witchy Woman
07-15-2015, 05:39 PM
That's effing awesome !! Looking forward to it !!

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 05:40 PM
IABAD. I think for years it was individuals until Roger and Pete broke that tradition. Then again I don't know if it was for them or the whole group since two of their members are dead.

AlreadyGone95
07-15-2015, 06:11 PM
IABAD. I think for years it was individuals until Roger and Pete broke that tradition. Then again I don't know if it was for them or the whole group since two of their members are dead.

The past honorees list that VA posted says: 2008: Pete Townshend & Roger Daltrey of The Who. The first band or group honored was Led Zeppelin in 2012.

Houston Baby
07-15-2015, 06:27 PM
FINALLY!! :yay::yay::yay:
I am so happy for them! They have deserved this very prestigious honor for many many years in my opinion. As Dreamer said, we discussed it this past weekend and I was going to start another letter. I have been sending my little letter every year for about 10 years as the Center does take nominations that way. Now I can save my stamp and celebrate! :partytime:

Freypower
07-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Wow! Indeed what an honor, and of course, the guys deserve it! I wonder why only the 4 current members being honored? Seems like they'd want all 7 members to be recognized. :shrug:. Oh well, at least they're being honored!

All seven members were honoured at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. This is somewhat different (having said that I don't know the criteria, but surely it has to do with current activity). Congratulations to them. I hope for shots of Glenn in a tux. I can't forget Robert Plant wiping away tears when Heart sang Stairway To Heaven.

AlreadyGone95
07-15-2015, 06:52 PM
All seven members were honoured at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. This is somewhat different (having said that I don't know the criteria, but surely it has to do with current activity). Congratulations to them. I hope for shots of Glenn in a tux. I can't forget Robert Plant wiping away tears when Heart sang Stairway To Heaven.

True. I don't know the exact criteria myself (just that the honorees contributed to American culture). Since it's for actors,musicians, etc, I'm assuming that the criteria would be different for each group. Zeppelin were honored and they have little, if any, current activity as a group. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. At least it says "Eagles" and not just the guys' names.

Thinking of the RnRHoF induction makes me wonder what Joe Walsh will wear, lol.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2015, 06:52 PM
There's been a few posts here that discuss the current four vs. all seven. The Kennedy Center listed only the current four, and I seriously doubt that will change now. Also, this isn't like the RRHOF where people get to pick and choose and decide, although except for LZ, there's been no precedent. I'm not entirely certain an artist can decline the honor, although I'm not sure why someone would want to. So, no, I don't think this will be a bone of contention at least with the band, because I really doubt it's their choice.

To be honest, there aren't many honors out there, in the US, higher than this one for the Performing Arts. I guess I just want to make sure our worldwide members really understand what an absolute honor this is.

ETA: On the question of dress, it's a formal event and unlike the RRHOF event, elegance is the name of the game.

ETAA: On the subject of criteria, they pride themselves that there is no criteria. You do not need to be currently active, but if you're not, they may not think of you when deciding. You don't need a lot of awards, grammys, etc. They can induct whomever they feel deserves it for whatever reasons they may come up with behind closed doors.

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 06:55 PM
The past honorees list that VA posted says: 2008: Pete Townshend & Roger Daltrey of The Who. The first band or group honored was Led Zeppelin in 2012.

I figured it was just Roger and Pete and not the whole group to be honored. So like I said earlier, Led Zeppelin were the first and the guys will be the second group to be honored.

Thanks AG.

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 07:22 PM
But I always wonder who picks the artist to pay tribute to the honorees. Does the committee or the honoree. I always wonder about that every year.

When I watched the year Billy Joel was honored, he looked surprise that Don was there.

It's going to be interesting who will pay tribute to them and what songs they'll be singing. I think I have a feeling for Take It Easy and Hotel California, but not the other songs. They usually have 4 or 5 songs sung. I guess the next thread coming soon will be who should be asked and what songs should be sung. I so can't wait to see this December 29th.

I had found Billy Joel's whole segment on YouTube. I've been looking for 2 years because I wanted to see Garth's part again.

Also. If Don or the other guys are asked back to pay tribute to another artist, they get to wear their medal that night and the announcer will say "Ladies and gentlemen. 2015 recipient of the Kennedy Center Honors, blank blank."

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Shun, the committee decides who will perform their songs, and it's a well kept secret! The link that shows the former inductees says that along the top, no one knows until the show is in progress. Since it's not aired until weeks later, CBS will have time to hype whomever.

From that same link, I thought this was worth quoting here as they try to explain what this Honor means. The emphasis is mine.

The Honors have been compared to a knighthood in Britain, or the French Legion of Honor--the quintessential reward for a lifetime's endeavor. At the same time, the annual addition of new names to the roster of Honors recipients charts the international standard of excellence set by America's artists, as well as the aesthetic inspiration provided by artists of other nations who have achieved prominence on these shores.

AlreadyGone95
07-15-2015, 07:43 PM
There's been a few posts here that discuss the current four vs. all seven. The Kennedy Center listed only the current four, and I seriously doubt that will change now. Also, this isn't like the RRHOF where people get to pick and choose and decide, although except for LZ, there's been no precedent. I'm not entirely certain an artist can decline the honor, although I'm not sure why someone would want to. So, no, I don't think this will be a bone of contention at least with the band, because I really doubt it's their choice.

ETA: On the question of dress, it's a formal event and unlike the RRHOF event, elegance is the name of the game.

ETAA: On the subject of criteria, they pride themselves that there is no criteria. You do not need to be currently active, but if you're not, they may not think of you when deciding. You don't need a lot of awards, grammys, etc. They can induct whomever they feel deserves it for whatever reasons they may come up with behind closed doors.

I figured that the band didn't have anything to do with who the committee picked.

I know that this event is much more formal than the HOF. (Heck, Glenn didn't wear a bow tie to it). My uncle and I discussed the wardrobe aspect when I told him this afternoon. He brought up Joe's knack for wacky attire, and that he couldn't wait to see what Joe would wear. I've only seen parts of the airings before. I take it as the event is strictly black tie? (Pardon my lack of knowledge. Dressing up for me is my best pair of jeans and best poli shirt).

Hmm, no criteria? That's bit odd, but also cool.

Houston Baby
07-15-2015, 07:58 PM
I bet Marjorie will make sure Joe looks great. :thumbsup:

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 07:59 PM
Shun, the committee decides who will perform their songs, and it's a well kept secret! The link that shows the former inductees says that along the top, no one knows until the show is in progress. Since it's not aired until weeks later, CBS will have time to hype whomever.

From that same link, I thought this was worth quoting here as they try to explain what this Honor means. The emphasis is mine.

Thanks for the explanation, VA. To tell the truth, I didn't know how big this honor is until now. I always thought of RRHOF as a big honor to get, but never this one. I always watched every year, but never really understood it.

I'm glad we don't have to wait until December 29 to find out who will be pay tribute to the guys because we will know the next day after the taping. Right now, we can only guess who the committee will pick and what 4 or 5 songs those guest will sing. Too bad we don't get to see the ceremony who they are honored by the President. I would love to hear what he say about the guys.

This year, I've heard of 5 of the 6 honorees. So I'm going to enjoy this year instead of wondering can I hear somebody I know. LOL

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 08:05 PM
Its going to be cool to see all the guys wives there with them. I know usually Joe's, Glenn's and Timothy's wife are with them when they go to something like this, but its going to be cool to see Sharon there.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2015, 08:09 PM
Actually, it's not something that is often discussed, and doesn't match up to this honor, but getting into the Songwriters Hall of Fame is a real honor as well. It's probably an achievement Glenn and Don prefer over the RRHOF. Or maybe that's just me. The RRHOF is hyped more, but that's about it.

Freypower
07-15-2015, 08:13 PM
But I always wonder who picks the artist to pay tribute to the honorees. Does the committee or the honoree. I always wonder about that every year.

When I watched the year Billy Joel was honored, he looked surprise that Don was there.

It's going to be interesting who will pay tribute to them and what songs they'll be singing. I think I have a feeling for Take It Easy and Hotel California, but not the other songs. They usually have 4 or 5 songs sung. I guess the next thread coming soon will be who should be asked and what songs should be sung. I so can't wait to see this December 29th.

I had found Billy Joel's whole segment on YouTube. I've been looking for 2 years because I wanted to see Garth's part again.

Also. If Don or the other guys are asked back to pay tribute to another artist, they get to wear their medal that night and the announcer will say "Ladies and gentlemen. 2015 recipient of the Kennedy Center Honors, blank blank."

There is no need for a new thread. Even when the event takes place surely we can discuss it in this thread. To answer, I have no idea who should be asked or which songs should be sung. I wouldn't have a clue.

Regarding the comparison with a knighthood, a more appropriate comparison would be to a Companion of Honour or even the Order of Merit which is held by a very small number of people. Knighthoods are dished out twice a year to dozens of recipients. The Legion d'Honneur is more like these honours.

Freypower
07-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Its going to be cool to see all the guys wives there with them. I know usually Joe's, Glenn's and Timothy's wife are with them when they go to something like this, but its going to be cool to see Sharon there.

I would not make such an assumption.

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 08:16 PM
Actually, it's not something that is often discussed, and doesn't match up to this honor, but getting into the Songwriters Hall of Fame is a real honor as well. It's probably an achievement Glenn and Don prefer over the RRHOF. Or maybe that's just me. The RRHOF is hyped more, but that's about it.

I forgot about the Songwriters Hall of Fame. I think all songwriters would definitely love that honor.

AlreadyGone95
07-15-2015, 08:33 PM
Since Carole King is being honored as well, the guys may be asked to honor her. I would probably faint if I heard/saw Glenn sing So Far Away because that song means so much to me. To hear him sing it would be beyond amazing! (I'm just talking and dreaming here, though).

I would think that their families would be there, but I don't know, especially with Sharon having MS. That's an awfully long trip from Texas to DC.

shunlvswx
07-15-2015, 08:41 PM
When I watch every year, usually their wives, their husbands, their children (if they are not married), or girlfriends/boyfriends (example. I think Paul wasn't married to his current wife yet when he was honored) are sitting right behind them.

Freypower
07-15-2015, 08:55 PM
Since Carole King is being honored as well, the guys may be asked to honor her. I would probably faint if I heard/saw Glenn sing So Far Away because that song means so much to me. To hear him sing it would be beyond amazing! (I'm just talking and dreaming here, though).

I would think that their families would be there, but I don't know, especially with Sharon having MS. That's an awfully long trip from Texas to DC.

If they are honorees, how could they participate in honouring someone else?

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2015, 11:07 PM
If they are honorees, how could they participate in honouring someone else?

Right, I find that scenario very unlikely. They like to have the honorees sitting in a prominent place, enjoying the show. Plus, at rehearsals, they could inadvertently find out who's singing their songs.

AlreadyGone95
07-15-2015, 11:27 PM
Shun's comment about "*If Don or the other guys are asked back to pay tribute to another artist" is why I thought of that. You ladies are probably right, but hey, I can dream, can't I?

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2015, 11:29 PM
Shun's comment about "*If Don or the other guys are asked back to pay tribute to another artist" is why I thought of that. You ladies are probably right, but hey, I can dream, can't I?

Well, I'd rather they do that in two different years. So we get to see them twice, of course. :D

AlreadyGone95
07-15-2015, 11:34 PM
Well, I'd rather they do that in two different years. So we get to see them twice, of course. :D

True :). The more we get to see them, the better, especially since I'll probably never see them in concert.

cynd1231
07-16-2015, 12:30 AM
This is quite the black tie formal affair but I'm sure they all have a tux somewhere among their blue jeans and plaid shirts! I think it will be fantastic to see them dressed to the nines! And I have no doubt Marjorie will make sure Joe puts his best foot forward!

As for who will be handed the dubious honors of performing the tributes, my first thought was 'Oh, how I wish Linda was still able to perform.' I can't think of anyone else better suited to sing Desperado (and you KNOW someone will sing it)! It's not as if countless artists have done covers of any of their hits. But I'll be surprised if Jackson Browne isn't among the select few. Otherwise it's a tough call to speculate on. They've all individually worked with some remarkable people thru the years but as a whole the only name that comes to mind is Travis Tritt! Maybe they'll have him sing "Take It Easy" which I think would be awesome since working with him on the Common Threads cut played a part in hell freezing over!

L101
07-16-2015, 05:22 AM
[/B]

I would not make such an assumption.

Why would you assume Don's wife would not be there with him? It's Don's highest honor so why wouldn't she be there unless there is a valid reason for her not to be???

Funk 50
07-16-2015, 05:24 AM

To be honest, there aren't many honors out there, in the US, higher than this one for the Performing Arts. I guess I just want to make sure our worldwide members really understand what an absolute honor this is.

Thanks for the info VA.

ETAA: On the subject of criteria, they pride themselves that there is no criteria. They can induct whomever they feel deserves it for whatever reasons they may come up with behind closed doors.

This really doesn't sound very prestigious to me. I'll need to know who the "they" are and "they" got the job.

I'm sure folks can refuse the honour. It can't be compulsory. I bet honorees have to confirm that they'll show up before their names are publicised.

I can go with the current quartet excepting the honour, although only half of them are on the biggest selling record in the 20th Century. They've stuck it out for longest. Bernie's current run with the band must be getting close to being longer than his first. :-D

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 07:41 AM
Here is another article, and it does give some names of those who are on the committee.

http://www.guidelive.com/music/2015/07/15/dallas-don-henley-eagles-get-kennedy-center-nod

I believe the reason they do not have criteria is because they know that those other awards can be misleading. The number of Grammys? Not every artist that has made an impact on American culture over the course of a lifetime has won a lot of Grammy's, and it's not a useful measure when comparing against comedians and dancers. All I can say is that I've been following these awards, more or less, since I moved to the DC area in 1980, and I've never, ever heard anyone, general public or art critic, disagree with any of the inductees being deserving, which is far more than can be said for those receiving Grammys. As I said, it's a high honor, and the Center takes pride in it being a high honor, and they would never risk sullying it by voting in someone who doesn't deserve it. I put the link for those who've received it in the past, I didn't see anyone who didn't deserve it.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 08:03 AM
This is quite the black tie formal affair but I'm sure they all have a tux somewhere among their blue jeans and plaid shirts! I think it will be fantastic to see them dressed to the nines! And I have no doubt Marjorie will make sure Joe puts his best foot forward!

As for who will be handed the dubious honors of performing the tributes, my first thought was 'Oh, how I wish Linda was still able to perform.' I can't think of anyone else better suited to sing Desperado (and you KNOW someone will sing it)! It's not as if countless artists have done covers of any of their hits. But I'll be surprised if Jackson Browne isn't among the select few. Otherwise it's a tough call to speculate on. They've all individually worked with some remarkable people thru the years but as a whole the only name that comes to mind is Travis Tritt! Maybe they'll have him sing "Take It Easy" which I think would be awesome since working with him on the Common Threads cut played a part in hell freezing over!

Traditionally, artists who have been greatly influenced by the inductees are the ones who perform. Someone who decided they wanted to be an artist because of the Eagles, or someone who decided on a specific direction. That was why I was so surprised that Don performed for Billy Joel's induction. So contemporaries aren't out of the question.

Buttercup
07-16-2015, 08:33 AM
IMO, it should be all 7, just like RRHOF. It is quite a slap in the face to Bernie who has been touring with them for over 2 years. I am sure that Glenn and Don did it this way so they could keep Felder out. If they keep all 3 out then no one can say they are singling Felder out. It is pretty BS if you ask me. But I would expect nothing less from Glenn and Don. Again this is my opinion.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 09:24 AM
IMO, it should be all 7, just like RRHOF. It is quite a slap in the face to Bernie who has been touring with them for over 2 years. I am sure that Glenn and Don did it this way so they could keep Felder out. If they keep all 3 out then no one can say they are singling Felder out. It is pretty BS if you ask me. But I would expect nothing less from Glenn and Don. Again this is my opinion.

Your opinion is noted, however I'll repeat, this is NOTHING like the RRHOF. Nothing. I seriously doubt the band was given a choice, and it's unfair to assume they did and call them out for it. This isn't that flexible or informal. This is a seriously big deal, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the committee also considered only Don and Glenn. We'll never know, because those things are never made public, but remember, not even the Beatles are Honorees, only two individual members.

In addition, this is a lifetime contribution to US culture, and while Bernie has been back for two years, in 44 years of Eagles history, Bernie was a band member for about 8 of them. Felder's number of years with the band would make a good argument for him, but his seriously acrimonious book that concentrated on the Hell that was the Eagles (in his eyes) would remove him from the committee's consideration on it, in my opinion. I can't imagine they would ever consider inducting someone as part of a band who went to such an effort to vilify the very band they are inducting.

I've lost my recording, but does anyone remember if there was a post-humous award for John Bonham when Led Zeppelin was inducted?

UndertheWire
07-16-2015, 09:37 AM
Traditionally, artists who have been greatly influenced by the inductees are the ones who perform. Someone who decided they wanted to be an artist because of the Eagles, or someone who decided on a specific direction. That was why I was so surprised that Don performed for Billy Joel's induction. So contemporaries aren't out of the question.
Can we expect some young country singer like Taylor Swift? Or One Direction? They sometimes have passed honorees, so maybe Tom Hanks for the intros.

As for who to honor, as this is a lifetime award, the committee may have looked at longevity within the group. I'm not saying they would be right to use this criterion (over songs recorded or record sales, for example), but it's one that would favour the current line-up. It's a good point that the committee may have considered honoring just Don and Glenn.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 09:43 AM
I agree, UTW. I seem to have lost my edit to my post, so I'll say it again. In 44 years of Eagles history, Bernie has been with them for 8. I love Bernie and hope he continues to perform with them, but it's a lifetime thing.

As for Felder, I have no doubt that his book removed him from any serious contention for such an award. They would not consider inducting someone as part of a band who went to such great effort to publicly vilify the very band he would be part of as an inductee.

shunlvswx
07-16-2015, 09:49 AM
Your opinion is noted, however I'll repeat, this is NOTHING like the RRHOF. Nothing. I seriously doubt the band was given a choice, and it's unfair to assume they did and call them out for it. This isn't that flexible or informal. This is a seriously big deal, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the committee also considered only Don and Glenn. We'll never know, because those things are never made public, but remember, not even the Beatles are Honorees, only two individual members.

In addition, this is a lifetime contribution to US culture, and while Bernie has been back for two years, in 44 years of Eagles history, Bernie was a band member for about 8 of them. Felder's number of years with the band would make a good argument for him, but his seriously acrimonious book that concentrated on the Hell that was the Eagles (in his eyes) would remove him from the committee's consideration on it, in my opinion. I can't imagine they would ever consider inducting someone as part of a band who went to such an effort to vilify the very band they are inducting.

I've lost my recording, but does anyone remember if there was a post-humous award for John Bonham when Led Zeppelin was inducted?

I know his son was playing drums when Heart sang Stairway to Heaven and they did that little thing at the end of Stairway to Heaven with wearing hats(I don't know if John wore those hats a lot when he was alive. I don't know Led Zeppelin's history), but I can look that up for you and see VA. Since it was the whole band being honored instead of just Robert and Jimmy, he probably was remembered.

shunlvswx
07-16-2015, 10:05 AM
OK, VA. I just watched Led Zeppelin's whole clip. The announcer did announced John's son Jason as he was coming on stage. He said, "Ladies and gentleman, the son of John Bonham, Jason Bonham, but that's all they said about John other than what was said in the package before the performers came out to do their songs. The guys were happy to see him there. Even Robert stood up.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 10:27 AM
When you click the link on the list of inductees, John Bonham was not inducted as part of Led Zeppelin in that his name appears nowhere on the list. He's mentioned in paragraphs, but not the list or individual biographies of those inducted.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/artist/A87853

Given that, it seems obvious the precedent was set that it's current members only.

Buttercup
07-16-2015, 10:41 AM
So I guess Bernie is not considered a current member.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 10:59 AM

No, he's not.

cynd1231
07-16-2015, 11:01 AM

Excellent point, VA! I hadn't thought about the exclusion of the formers in terms of longevity but rather as contributions. Neither did I consider the fact the Felder has been so negatively outspoken thru the years. I'm sure both of those issues factor in when making the decision. I'll be interested to see if Randy and Bernie get any honorable mention from any of the guys in their acceptance remarks (but I can't imagine any of them uttering that other name). We just have to wait and see.

As a footnote, Bruce and I were discussing this over coffee this morning and another name that came up as a possibility to honor them is Stevie Nicks, whether she performs or just makes some remarks. But I'll say this...in the past I've thought some of the performers were head-scratchers so this is going to be very interesting.

Buttercup
07-16-2015, 11:03 AM
That is very unfortunate.

shunlvswx
07-16-2015, 11:27 AM
I think the only time that Bernie, Randy and Don F get mention is during the small package that's before the artist who are honoring them because you can't leave Bernie or Randy out of that when it comes to how they started and who was in the band in the beginning. So I think that's probably the only time the former members will be mention.

Oh Cyndi. The guys don't do a speech. They might do one at the dinner with Secretary of State and The President, but not tape version.

cynd1231
07-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Shun, I know we won't hear any remarks from them during the show but there are plenty of articles after the fact covering all of the events that encompass the week. Someone always manages to get statements, comments and speeches into print.

Brooke
07-16-2015, 12:12 PM
Well, it's certainly all very exciting for them and for us and I'm looking forward to the telecast. I hope all the wives are able to go and be a part of this great honor.

The first name that popped in to my head for the speaker was JD Souther. Jackson Browne is also a very likely candidate, but who knows!

AlreadyGone95
07-16-2015, 12:17 PM
It would be cool if Bernie or Randy are mentioned, in any shape or form. I know too little about the event to say much else.

I also think that Stevie Nicks would be a good choice to participate in the honoring.

sodascouts
07-16-2015, 01:21 PM
What a honor for them! Well-deserved!

shunlvswx
07-16-2015, 01:23 PM

I meant if they are asked back down the road. I was watching a few of the Kennedy Center Honors special and their were a lot of artists that keep coming back to pay tribute. You never know. They could be back a year or two honoring someone else.

Funk 50
07-16-2015, 01:36 PM
Well if the current Eagles can't perform maybe Bernie, Randy, Felder, Souther, Browne, Joe Vitale, Paul Carrack and Jack Tempchin can own the stage for a track or two. It's a Pity Linda's retired.

Isn't that One Direction kid a big Eagles fan?

Steve Martin?
Richard Marx?

Stevie Nicks' attachment to the Eagles is probably a bit too personal isn't It?

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Well if the current Eagles can't perform maybe Bernie, Randy, Felder, Souther, Browne, Joe Vitale, Paul Carrack and Jack Tempchin can own the stage for a track or two. It's a Pity Linda's retired.

Isn't that One Direction kid a big Eagles fan?

Steve Martin?
Richard Marx?

Stevie Nicks' attachment to the Eagles is probably a bit too personal isn't It?

Actually, F50, there are at least two One Direction kids who are really big Eagles fans, and I have wondered... Not only would they likely love to do such a thing, it would make for a great show. However, they're British and so I'm not sure they'd be chosen over a slew of other candidates. I do think we are more likely to see younger acts (if not as young as One Direction) who were greatly influenced by the Eagles than contemporaries, but I may be wrong.

sodascouts
07-16-2015, 02:04 PM
When you click the link on the list of inductees, John Bonham was not inducted as part of Led Zeppelin in that his name appears nowhere on the list. He's mentioned in paragraphs, but not the list or individual biographies of those inducted.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/artist/A87853

Given that, it seems obvious the precedent was set that it's current members only.

I'd say it's more likely that he was excluded because he was dead, unless there's a precedent for posthumous honors.

Regardless of what caused his exclusion, though, what is obvious is that the Kennedy Center feels no obligation to include all members of a band, past and/or present.

I daresay the decision regarding which Eagles would be honored was the Kennedy Center's, but doubtless there will be those who immediately condemn Glenn Frey and Don Henley for it.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 02:49 PM
I daresay the decision regarding which Eagles would be honored was the Kennedy Center's, but doubtless there will be those who immediately condemn Glenn Frey and Don Henley for it.

Obviously. Too many seize the opportunity to think the worst of Glenn and Don instead of looking for the facts, and we would expect nothing less of such people.

The Kennedy Center is, by the way, under the administration of the Smithsonion, and receives federal funding to pay for the maintenance and costs of operating the building. The performing arts themselves are meant to be sustaining (paying for themselves), but there is also some private funding. It is the busiest performing arts center in the US according to Wiki. The Office of the President of the United States, along with the First Lady, is traditionally the prime fundraiser for it. It's ludicrous to think Don and Glenn can dictate terms to such an entity, but people will do it anyway.

Funk 50
07-16-2015, 03:39 PM
The Office of the President of the United States, along with the First Lady, is traditionally the prime fundraiser for it. It's ludicrous to think Don and Glenn can dictate terms to such an entity, but people will do it anyway.

Let me be the first :-D

Politicians are the champs of compromise. They wont dictate the terms. They'll come to an amicable solution that suits both parties.

I'd like to think that Henley and Frey were offered the honour as the permanent Eagles and they negotiated the inclusion if Tim and Joe. :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
07-16-2015, 03:59 PM
I'd like to think that Henley and Frey were offered the honour as the permanent Eagles and they negotiated the inclusion if Tim and Joe. :thumbsup:
I like to think that, too. Or maybe the committee realise that honoring just two members could cause unwelcome friction within a band. It wouldn't look good if a lifetime achievement award ended the life of the band.

GoranV
07-16-2015, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the info VA.

ETAA: On the subject of criteria, they pride themselves that there is no criteria. They can induct whomever they feel deserves it for whatever reasons they may come up with behind closed doors.

I can go with the current quartet excepting the honour, although only half of them are on the biggest selling record in the 20th Century. They've stuck it out for longest. Bernie's current run with the band must be getting close to being longer than his first. :-D

So what they stuck out for longest? Bernie and Randy contribute greatly to initial success of band and Don Felder come not long after. I think shame not to include.

GoranV
07-16-2015, 04:57 PM

I agree Buttercup seem silly to me. How can not be current member if touring for three years, not to mention original member? Guess shows they think Bernie back up, not member. I don't like.

sodascouts
07-16-2015, 05:46 PM
Politicians are the champs of compromise. They wont dictate the terms. They'll come to an amicable solution that suits both parties.

Maybe in the UK, but in the US, politicians are short on compromise and long on partisan politics where compromise is perceived as a betrayal.

Of course artists are treated differently than fellow politicians regardless, but the committee doesn't seem to have consulted honorees in the past about including bandmates.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 05:55 PM
F50 & UTW, it's not a political decision, and no politicians are involved in the process! The Smithsonian is not a political entity. What I meant by what I said is that the sitting President, of whatever party, traditionally is the figurehead for fundraising, along with the first lady.

Everyone will believe what they want. I've run out of words to describe it, and I don't know enough about such things across the pond to find a fitting analogy. I'm very serious when I say it's extremely unlikely any negotiating was done. When one has the honor to receive something as prestigious as this, you do not negotiate. If they would have said, "we won't accept unless you include these guys, too", the honor would likely go to someone else. It's not like the Eagles are doing the Kennedy Center the favor of accepting. It's very much the other way around.

L101
07-16-2015, 06:20 PM
VA - I agree with you - I'm taking this as a really great honor for the group (all 4 current members) where the decision was made on who was nominated by the Kennedy Centre committee and I for one, am going to enjoy the build up to it - well as much as I can see from this side of the pond :)

I'm just :censored: off that as usual, anything involving the group and awards/acknowledgements has to dissolve into a debate about whether or not Felder and Bernie/Randy should be included. And I'll throw my tuppence worth in - I think Bernie and Randy should be recognized in some way as they were involved in the start of the bands amazing journey but that is not likely to happen in this case as the Eagles themselves don't have any say in what happens, so maybe we should just sit back and enjoy the build up and the speculation :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
07-16-2015, 07:02 PM
I agree with the sentiments that we should just accept and enjoy.

I like to think that Glenn and Don would stand up for Tim and Joe but that doesn't mean I believe that's what happened here.

By "political", I thought F50 was using it as a more general term rather than referring to politicians. (ETA: reading back, he did mean politicians, so I was wrong). I'm sure there's a lot of politics involved the honours committee, not least to ensure they get the right mix of ethnicity but also to ensure that different arts are represented.

I doubt there's much negotiation but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a discreet enquiry as to whether an offer would be accepted before the announcement is made. During that exchange, there might be some clarification of exactly who was to be honored.

BTW, isn't the Smithsonian where you find dinosaurs?

Freypower
07-16-2015, 07:08 PM
Why would you assume Don's wife would not be there with him? It's Don's highest honor so why wouldn't she be there unless there is a valid reason for her not to be???

I hope she is there. It's just that she is never seen in public.

I agree with all previous sentiments expressed about being proud of the achievements of the current band members & that this shouldn't be turned into a slanging match.

As for who does the songs I really would like to see people the Eagles have influenced rather than the usual suspects like Souther, Browne, etc. Let's see someone different.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 07:13 PM
I agree with the sentiments that we should just accept and enjoy.

I like to think that Glenn and Don would stand up for Tim and Joe but that doesn't mean I believe that's what happened here.

By "political", I thought F50 was using it as a more general term rather than referring to politicians. I'm sure there's a lot of politics involved the honours committee, not least to ensure they get the right mix of ethnicity but also to ensure that different arts are represented.

I doubt there's much negotiation but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a discreet enquiry as to whether an offer would be accepted before the announcement is made. During that exchange, there might be some clarification of exactly who was to be honored.

BTW, isn't the Smithsonian where you find dinosaurs?

Now that definition of political, I will agree with.

The Smithsonion is huge and nearly beyond description. It is the world's largest museum and research complex, with 19 museums, 9 research centers, and affiliates around the world, and while I copied that from their website, it is not inclusive of the things they have their fingers in as well, like the Kennedy Center.

Here is a link to the website. If you're ever in the US for a month, it would be a good place to visit.

http://www.si.edu/

Freypower
07-16-2015, 07:15 PM
On my only visit to Washington in 1981 we went to the Kennedy Centre & were proud to see some magnficent tapestries by Australian artist John Coburn. I remember a large bronze bust of President Kennedy. We found it interesting that it wasn't far from the Watergate Building!

shunlvswx
07-16-2015, 07:16 PM
VA - I agree with you - I'm taking this as a really great honor for the group (all 4 current members) where the decision was made on who was nominated by the Kennedy Centre committee and I for one, am going to enjoy the build up to it - well as much as I can see from this side of the pond :)

I'm just :censored: off that as usual, anything involving the group and awards/acknowledgements has to dissolve into a debate about whether or not Felder and Bernie/Randy should be included. And I'll throw my tuppence worth in - I think Bernie and Randy should be recognized in some way as they were involved in the start of the bands amazing journey but that is not likely to happen in this case as the Eagles themselves don't have any say in what happens, so maybe we should just sit back and enjoy the build up and the speculation :thumbsup:

I'm going to speculate, but it's probably will happen. Like I said earlier, they will probably mention Bernie, Randy and even Don F name in the package they do before the performance. They do a little history of the honoree before the tribute. They probably mention some of the guys hometown, how they came together. So I won't be surprise if Linda is mention. If they won't mention their names in the package, I have a feeling they will show footage of Randy, Bernie, and Don F.

Since I'm posting on my phone, I can't link an example of a package they do about the honoree. I can do it when I get home.

shunlvswx
07-16-2015, 07:19 PM
I hope she is there. It's just that she is never seen in public.

I agree with all previous sentiments expressed about being proud of the achievements of the current band members & that this shouldn't be turned into a slanging match.

As for who does the songs I really would like to see people the Eagles have influenced rather than the usual suspects like Souther, Browne, etc. Let's see someone different.

She probably will be there. She did go to the MusiCares thing. Even though we didn't see pictures of her with Don, he did mention his family was there. I wouldn't be surprise of the guys bring their children. I've seen pictures of the honorees whole family. They may not sit with their parents, but they probably be somewhere near them. Not saying they will be there, I wouldn't be surprise if they go.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 07:23 PM
I'm going to speculate, but it's probably will happen. Like I said earlier, they will probably mention Bernie, Randy and even Don F name in the package they do before the performance. They do a little history of the honoree before the tribute. They probably mention some of the guys hometown, how they came together. So I won't be surprise if Linda is mention. If they won't mention their names in the package, I have a feeling they will show footage of Randy, Bernie, and Don F.

Since I'm posting on my phone, I can't link an example of a package they do about the honoree. I can do it when I get home.

They mentioned the others and Linda in the Press Release, but not as honorees.

MaryCalifornia
07-16-2015, 08:15 PM
I think this is a legitimate question to ponder - IF Randy, Bernie and Don F. were given the opportunity, today, to make their case before "the Committee" that they should be included in the honor and should appear in the theater on the evening, seated next to Don, Glenn, Tim and Joe, would they take the opportunity and try to make a case for themselves?

Randy - ??
Bernie - perhaps, he's touring with them now
Don F. - yes! no? Not sure about this one!!

AlreadyGone95
07-16-2015, 08:24 PM
From my impression of Don Felder from his book, I would believe that he would plead his case.

Bernie, possibly. I really don't know.

Randy, given his health problems and ongoing struggles, I would be inclined to think that he wouldn't do it.

MaryCalifornia
07-16-2015, 08:27 PM
I guess this is speculation on behalf of the guys, and it may not be appropriate for this thread, sorry. It just seemed a natural follow up question (for me anyway) in response to the issue of which members are included.

TimFan222
07-16-2015, 10:36 PM

I have a friend who works this event every year and is backstage with the honorees, perhaps I should volunteer my services?? :drool:

I'll be glad to volunteer with you MC😀😀

Roey
07-16-2015, 10:39 PM
MC...if this scenario were true, your comments about legitimate questions, making a case and speculation sounds like the boys would be wise to hire you as their attorney to handle the job. :)

As a viewer these awards are always inspiring. It must be awesome to be the recipient of the honor.It is long over due. I am a Led Zeppelin fan but thought the Eagles should have been there first. Congratulations to The Eagles.

My thoughts are that Randy, Bernie and Don may not be presenters but are part of the on stage ensemble some how (maybe not Don).

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 11:16 PM
As far as I can remember, there is no presentation of the medals, and the inductees do not get on stage. Am I remembering it correctly? I believe the medals are given the night before, and presented by the Secretary of State?

shunlvswx
07-16-2015, 11:41 PM
You are right, VA. The Secretary Of State present them their medal the night before and then the president honors them the same day as the taping.

shunlvswx
07-16-2015, 11:45 PM
Here's a little example of what we can will expect when they honored the guys.

Here's Billy Joel's tribute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-JFdEJS7Gg

Funk 50
07-17-2015, 05:41 AM
Thanks for all your explanations VA. I appreciate your efforts but I'm an awful cynic.

They've let in Billy Joel and the live members of The Who and Led Zeppelin. Great as they are, they have many peers in the music industry. IMHO.

It just looks like a high brow TV Awards show to me. Sorry if that insulting but I'm never-the-less pleased that The Eagles are deemed worthy of such an exclusive honour.

Lastly, you're giving me the impression that the Kennedy Honours Induction is run by a dictatorship. Would the Eagles approve of such an organisation?

UndertheWire
07-17-2015, 06:30 AM
Well two members of the Eagles would approve of a benign dictatorship over a failed democracy.

I'm not that keen on Billy Joel, so the tribute to him was a bit cheesy but I found Heart's tribute to Led Zeppelin on youtube and that was pretty emotional.

ETA: Steve Martin's intro for Paul Simon could almost stand for the Eagles. Very funny.

NOLA
07-17-2015, 08:01 AM
In echoing the sentiments of other Borderers, does it bother me a little that only the current four will be recognized for a 40+ years legacy? Yes.

Is there anything I can do about it? Hell to the no.

So, I'll just sit back and appreciate the fact that they are receiving this prestigious award.

Geaux Eagles!!!:thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
07-17-2015, 08:12 AM
I am delighted that they have been nominated for this award. The more honours they get the better. Hopefully it will encourage them to continue touring, perhaps after Don Henley is done with his October promotional tour for Cass County

Brooke
07-17-2015, 10:27 AM
I'm like you, Lisa. I'm just happy the Eagles are receiving the honor. I don't care who is included. Don H., Glenn, Joe, and Tim have been there the longest, so this group is good for me. As for Bernie and Randy, they quit the band years ago themselves and Don F. was fired, so I understand why they weren't included.

I also agree with whoever said they thought the Eagles should have made it before Led Zeppelin. They are America's band.

Can't wait for the whole shebang!

secret squirrel
07-17-2015, 01:04 PM
You probably all received this in your mailbox but just in case you didn't, I'll copy it here. Don't know how to make it smaller?

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/the-best-bond-theme-that-never-was-rise.html

https://dub128.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=FqeTa04YofQ%2beKEil72VodIuBKtAX0DYYNihhnrxN U0%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fi1.cmail1.com%2fei%2fy%2f0F%2f465 %2f024%2f131940%2fcsimport%2feaglesblastmtheader_0 _0.png (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-drqkil-yudldhjkji-r/) https://dub128.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=FqeTa04YofQ%2beKEil72VodIuBKtAX0DYYNihhnrxN U0%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fi2.cmail1.com%2fei%2fy%2f0F%2f465 %2f024%2f131940%2fcsimport%2f7pnk_1_1.jpg
EAGLES TO RECEIVE 38th ANNUAL KENNEDY CENTER HONORS

The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts announced (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-drqkil-yudldhjkji-y/) that the Eagles will be among 6 honorees who will receive the 2015 Kennedy Center Honors. The Honors Gala will be recorded for broadcast on the CBS Network for the 38th consecutive year as a two-hour primetime special on Tuesday, December 29 at 9:00 p.m.

"We are deeply grateful to have been named a Kennedy Center honoree. The members of the Eagles hail from different regions of this great nation and we feel very fortunate that our music has been embraced by people from all walks of life, all over the world. Popular music is one of America's greatest exports – a bridge that spans geographical and cultural boundaries. We are truly humbled to have been able to be a part of this global connection. Many thanks to our fans, our fellow artists and the Kennedy Center for this recognition.”
~ EAGLES

DON HENLEY’S FIRST SOLO ALBUM IN 15 YEARS
CASS COUNTY
TO BE RELEASED SEPTEMBER 25, 2015
https://dub128.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=FqeTa04YofQ%2beKEil72VodIuBKtAX0DYYNihhnrxN U0%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fi3.cmail1.com%2fei%2fy%2f0F%2f465 %2f024%2f131940%2fcsimport%2fbddfce_2.jpg (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-drqkil-yudldhjkji-t/)

Don Henley will release Cass County, his fifth studio album, and first solo album in 15 years, on September 25, 2015. Named for the northeastern Texas county in which Henley was raised, Cass County will be available as a 12- song standard CD and digital album, as well as a 16-track deluxe version and 180 gram Vinyl LP. A full track listing can be seen HERE (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-drqkil-yudldhjkji-i/) and a sneak peek of the album can be watched HERE (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-drqkil-yudldhjkji-d/).

NPR’s “All Songs Considered” premieres “Take A Picture Of This" and “That Old Flame” (featuring Martina McBride) today at NPR All Songs Considered (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-drqkil-yudldhjkji-h/). Pre-order Cass County now on iTunes (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-drqkil-yudldhjkji-k/) and receive both tracks instantly.

Visit Don Henley’s official Online Store (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-drqkil-yudldhjkji-u/) and pre-order the Cass County Deluxe CD, Deluxe Vinyl and Super Deluxe Vinyl Book, including a 50 -page booklet with exclusive photos, collector postcards, deluxe CD album, and deluxe Vinyl (2-Disc 180 Gram). A limited number of bundles are also available, including a Cass County T-shirt and 12X12 lithograph. The first one hundred Cass County Super Deluxe Vinyl Books (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-drqkil-yudldhjkji-o/) ordered will be signed by Don Henley.

Don Henley will also launch a solo tour of North America in October 2015. Each ticket ordered for any of the tour dates will receive a Cass County deluxe CD. Full tour details will be announced shortly.

https://dub128.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=FqeTa04YofQ%2beKEil72VodIuBKtAX0DYYNihhnrxN U0%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fi4.cmail1.com%2fei%2fy%2f0F%2f465 %2f024%2f131940%2fcsimport%2fcmde_3.jpg (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-drqkil-yudldhjkji-b/)https://dub128.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=FqeTa04YofQ%2beKEil72VodIuBKtAX0DYYNihhnrxN U0%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fi5.cmail1.com%2fei%2fy%2f0F%2f465 %2f024%2f131940%2fcsimport%2fnp07_3_4.jpg
https://dub128.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=FqeTa04YofQ%2beKEil72VodIuBKtAX0DYYNihhnrxN U0%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fi5.cmail1.com%2fei%2fy%2f0F%2f465 %2f024%2f131940%2fcsimport%2fnp07_3_4.jpg https://dub128.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=FqeTa04YofQ%2beKEil72VodIuBKtAX0DYYNihhnrxN U0%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fi6.cmail1.com%2fei%2fy%2f0F%2f465 %2f024%2f131940%2fcsimport%2f7pnk_14_5.jpg Q
© 2013 Eagles https://eagles.cmail1.com/t/y-o-drqkil-yudldhjkji/o.gif

Fleurette767
07-17-2015, 01:48 PM
Just to add my thoughts. This is really an honor of a lifetime, to say the least.

RE: the discussion. Obviously, since this is a major honor, I feel badly for Bernie, Randy and D. Felder who contributed so much to their history and classic sound. I know there's probably no way to make them feel better; but in my mind, when I read (the) Eagles were awarded a Kennedy Centre Honor, I envisioned the folks (all seven guys) who made those albums and made that history, being honored. To me, it's more about the intent (honoring excellent music made), than the details of who picked up the medals.

ETA: OH heck, that looks bad so let me clarify :hilarious:. I mean in my mind I see them all being honored with this award because to me, Eagles is that entire history and the entire catalog. Hopefully this makes sense.

Houston Debutante
07-17-2015, 02:00 PM
It just looks like a high brow TV Awards show to me. Sorry if that insulting but I'm never-the-less pleased that The Eagles are deemed worthy of such an exclusive honour.

Wow, what is up with the killjoys in here? The Eagles have been hugely honored, I don't see why some people feel the need to rain on the parade, does it give you some kind of pleasure to try and bring other people down? Yeah, you're pleased alright. Ha!

Sorry if I sound rude but it's annoying to see clueless people ~ who can't even be bothered to Google the award to find out more about it ~ make post after post pissing on an award Americans really value. Have some cultural sensitivity if nothing else. Your 'exclusive honour' line doesn't mean much after you've trashed the award.

It's a big :censored: deal in the USA. It's almost impossible to make this into a bad thing but I see some people are determined to give it their best shot.

sodascouts
07-17-2015, 02:47 PM
HD, I think one way to keep things positive is to not get riled up and instead, if you're happy about it, to keep focusing on what a wonderful honor this is. :)

If someone wishes to claim that it's not truly a high honor, well, let them think that if they want to. Their opinion doesn't change the reality of how prestigious this is. If it makes you feel any better, HD, there are people who "piss on" things like knighthoods, too!

As far as the apparent omission of the other guys - ideally, all of them would be feted, but it doesn't seem that will be the case. I don't object to people voicing that disappointment, although I don't think it's fair to blame Glenn and Don.

At any rate, I can't wait to see who is going to perform in their honor. They must be so thrilled!

Fleurette767
07-17-2015, 03:15 PM
I hope my comments weren't taken to be offensive. I truly understand the nature of the award (this is the Big One!) and perhaps I gave a bad analogy.

Also LOL I don't mean to insult the four atop this page as "merely" going to pick up medals; but I'm thinking more about the spirit of the honor and since what I'm reading at the website spends a paragraph or two addressing the earlier history of the band I think of it more of an honor for their entire catalogue and history. :angel:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 03:16 PM
There's something wrong with them if they aren't walking on air!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 03:26 PM
I hope my comments weren't taken to be offensive. I truly understand the nature of the award (this is the Big One!) and perhaps I gave a bad analogy.

Also LOL I don't mean to insult the four atop this page as "merely" going to pick up medals; but I'm thinking more about the spirit of the honor and since what I'm reading at the website spends a paragraph or two addressing the earlier history of the band I think of it more of an honor for their entire catalogue and history. :angel:

They do discuss their history and place in the soundtrack of American lives, and while they don't have hard and fast criteria, it is an honor from a PAC, and they do take the touring right up until the time of the award into consideration. The sold out shows in venues all across the US, no other single American band does that, and only a very few solo acts. To do that and have been doing it since the 70's, with a small vacation, I would assume had a lot to do with the award. I wish I could find the interview where Arch Campbell of NBC4 (and now WJLA, I think) interviewed a committee member before LZ's induction. He was wondering how they won when they hadn't performed at all since John Bonham died (except for once, but that was in the UK). The answer included the fact they'd toured with other groups or as solo artists, and still doing it at the time of the award. I think it was Arch Campbell, I can't imagine who else I would have watched. At any rate, remaining relevant seemed to be part of the consideration.

UndertheWire
07-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Haven't people commented that they seem especially happy on this leg of the tour?

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Haven't people commented that they seem especially happy on this leg of the tour?

Well, yes, but I thought it was because the tour was nearly over. :shrug: But, yes, now that I know about the honor I would imagine it's that. Or, maybe, both.

UndertheWire
07-17-2015, 04:54 PM
That's a good point about it being a Performing Arts organisation so they would consider live performances as much as recordings. Which also has me thinking that the band's determination to make live concerts sound as good as the original recordings must have influenced many people over the last forty years regardless of those who like to sneer at it.

Fleurette767
07-17-2015, 05:54 PM
Oh yeahhhhhh. That also explains why no writers are honored other than Tennessee Williams, who wrote plays, that were performed. Because I was thinking OK what about John Steinbeck?

OK. On to musing about who will give the speech and perform.

In terms of the speech, Zepp got Jack Black who was perfect. He has so much energy and zeal and I remember cringing thinking please let these guys laugh and they did! And Art Garfunkel for Brian Wilson positively made me cry.

I hope they get someone who can do them justice. I want someone who truly loves them. To me, since TRAVIS TRITT :) seems to be the lightning bolt that charged up ACT II here, why not him? What about Garth Brooks? Putting aside the auto-tuning and whatnot, I hear so much EAGLES in new country. And especially the writing too. To me, it seems a lot of the songwriting starts with a very clever catchphrase, much like "Lyin Eyes" and "LITFL" started and then a song comes from that.

I wonder if Garth Brooks was riding to a poker game with a drug dealer who was holding doing 90 and Garth said "anybody I know gonna be at this game? And the dealer said, "just you wait and see buddy, I got friends in low places" and Garth said...."ahhh... now there's an idea."

I don't need a marquee name, just someone who has passion for this band to make me laugh or cry.

Fleurette767
07-17-2015, 05:59 PM
Because I wasn't sure if Garth even wrote that song anyway, I Wiki'd it. OK it was written by Earl Bud Lee (LOL) but this is unbelievable. NO WAY.

"According to Earl Bud Lee, one of the song's co-writers, the idea of the song was born when he and some songwriting friends gathered for lunch one day at Tavern on the Row, a popular Nashville eatery. When the check came, Lee realized he had forgotten his money. He was asked how he was going to pay for the meal, and he replied, "Don't worry. I have friends in low places. I know the cook."Lee and his songwriting partner, Dewayne Blackwell, immediately recognized that the line "friends in low places" had potential, but they didn't act upon it immediately."

Houston Baby
07-17-2015, 06:09 PM
"According to Earl Bud Lee, one of the song's co-writers, the idea of the song was born when he and some songwriting friends gathered for lunch one day at Tavern on the Row, a popular Nashville eatery. When the check came, Lee realized he had forgotten his money. He was asked how he was going to pay for the meal, and he replied, "Don't worry. I have friends in low places. I know the cook."Lee and his songwriting partner, Dewayne Blackwell, immediately recognized that the line "friends in low places" had potential, but they didn't act upon it immediately."

:hilarious: Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Fleurette767
07-17-2015, 06:20 PM
But notice how Glenn's songwriting story was wayyy cooler. :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 08:14 PM
I love your ideas, Fleurette, but anyone who sang on Common Thread, and especially Travis Tritt, wouldn't be too much of a surprise. Given they like the surprise factor, I just don't know.

GoranV
07-17-2015, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=Brooke;305425]I'm like you, Lisa. I'm just happy the Eagles are receiving the honor. I don't care who is included. Don H., Glenn, Joe, and Tim have been there the longest, so this group is good for me. As for Bernie and Randy, they quit the band years ago themselves and Don F. was fired, so I understand why they weren't included.

Some Eagles recieve honor not all. All seven induct in RRHOF, this should be same.

MaryCalifornia
07-17-2015, 09:49 PM
Goran, none of them are being inducted individually. It is the "Eagles" that is being inducted. Bernie, Randy and Don F. will be acknowledged as former members (who everyone knows contributed significantly.)

What you are talking about is who will be sitting in those seats on that night. Since the RRHoF ceremony, Don Felder HAS SUED the band, and the litigation is still going on, so there is NO WAY IN HECK that he will be there. Don and Glenn would not attend if the organizers required that Felder be invited. So right there, you don't have the full set of 7 guys. Then you're looking at 6 of the 7 - how does that make sense? It makes the most sense to have the current members of the band present. When Bernie and Randy quit the band, they forfeited future fun events. They were privileged to be included in the RRHoF ceremony, they didn't have the right to be included.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=Brooke;305425]I'm like you, Lisa. I'm just happy the Eagles are receiving the honor. I don't care who is included. Don H., Glenn, Joe, and Tim have been there the longest, so this group is good for me. As for Bernie and Randy, they quit the band years ago themselves and Don F. was fired, so I understand why they weren't included.

Some Eagles recieve honor not all. All seven induct in RRHOF, this should be same.

This is NOT the RRHOF (this is a real honor), Goran, and the criteria to get in is much more stringent! However, if you have a real problem with how the committee selects their very exclusive honorees, feel free to contact them via the Kennedy Center website.

ETA: Goran, I want to make sure you know that I understand where you are coming from, but when you look at it from the committee's standpoint, Bernie quit the band, Randy quit the band. It doesn't matter the reasons, only that they quit. It's a lifetime achievement kind of award, and not what they accomplished in the 70's only. It's the entire career, 1971 through today, all the songs, all the albums, all the solo work (probably), and all the concerts throughout ALL the years. It also includes the impact on American culture when they got back together again in 1994. The Farewell 1 DVD was filmed in Australia, but it had a huge impact here. LROOE, definitely. Even their song "Hole in the World", about a huge, significant event in American history. It also includes their current tour and the fact they are as perfect and relevant as ever.

These criteria are my opinion, the committee doesn't justify why they include inductees and why they don't. All I can say is they do specify it's a body of work over a lifetime, not just a few years, regardless of how amazing those few years were.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 11:10 PM
Goran, none of them are being inducted individually. It is the "Eagles" that is being inducted. Bernie, Randy and Don F. will be acknowledged as former members (who everyone knows contributed significantly.)

What you are talking about is who will be sitting in those seats on that night. Since the RRHoF ceremony, Don Felder HAS SUED the band, and the litigation is still going on, so there is NO WAY IN HECK that he will be there. Don and Glenn would not attend if the organizers required that Felder be invited. So right there, you don't have the full set of 7 guys. Then you're looking at 6 of the 7 - how does that make sense? It makes the most sense to have the current members of the band present. When Bernie and Randy quit the band, they forfeited future fun events. They were privileged to be included in the RRHoF ceremony, they didn't have the right to be included.

Mary, while I see what you are saying, that Randy, Bernie, and Felder will be acknowledged as former members, I will be very surprised if they have individual biographies listed, since they didn't in the press release. They only listed biographies of the current line-up. I also doubt that the former members will receive medals. Which is why Goran is not happy, along with the fact they won't be at any of the ceremonies.

I agree that there's the possibility that Glenn and Don might refuse to make an appearance if Felder were there. I don't know, because I've never heard of anyone refusing to appear, but it's possible that if they refused to appear, the honor would go away. So...if the committee had decided on all seven, I'm not sure how far Glenn and Don would have taken it. This is a pretty important thing. However, like you said, and I also said, those who quit and those who wrote a Book of Hate forfeited their chances.

MaryCalifornia
07-18-2015, 12:45 AM
Oh no, they are definitely not getting medals or bios. I was thinking that they will be acknowledged during the ceremony while the history of the band is recounted. I would be surprised if they were left out of the narrative. Everyone knows that the vast majority of what the Eagles are being honored for was created during Bernie's, Randy's and Don F.'s tenures with the band. I don't see how you could ignore them and not acknowledge them.

The Eagles, as a band,not as individuals, received honorary degrees from Berklee College of Music "for their achievements and influence in music, and for their enduring contributions to American and international culture." Should Bernie, Randy and Felder have been included? Timothy was inducted into the Colorado Hall of Fame with Poco. Should Randy have been included? There are many accolades coming to the current members because of their longevity. I really don't see how presenting this particular honor to the current members is controversial.

ETA: I am aware that by mentioning TBS's inclusion in Poco's HoF award, I am contradicting myself! I guess my explanation would be that Poco had many members over the years who were not included. Timothy is by far the most successful and famous, and his current stature in the industry raises the profile of Poco events. Richie and Paul wanted him involved for multiple reasons.

I also need to back up and say that I personally would be thrilled to have all 7 members present (and on the HOTE tour.) Nothing against any of them. But, I understand why it was decided to go this route.

shunlvswx
07-18-2015, 09:36 AM
Ok. I know Bernie, Randy or Don will not be part of this honor. Heck I knew that when they first announced the guys being honorees and even some of the articles said the current member, but I also know their will be footage of those three in the video montage to talk about the history of the Eagles. Believe me. I wasn't upset about that. Heck. Before the HOTE documentary, I only knew of both Dons, Glenn, Timothy and Joe. SO I wasn't upset about the other three not part of it. I knew it will only be Don, Glenn, Timothy and Joe. Plus I'm one of the ones who was soo happy they finally got this honoree even though I didn't know how big and special this award was even though I've been watch KCH for years. This award is very well deserve for the guys.

Am I the only person who knows about the small video montage they do before the tribute performance. They do that with all the honorees. Its even shown in Billy's video I posted. They have to talk about the former members and how they came to what they are now in the video.

I've been saying that's the only time we will see or hear their names during the video montage. You have to remember, the presenter who will talk about the Eagles history has to say something about Randy, Bernie, and Don F or show clips of them in that video. Its like let's skip all the albums between Eagles LP and even HFO and go straight to LROOF and today. You just can't do that. I know they will talk about HFO because that's when they got back together 14 years after they broke up. I know that will be video montage package. So they will probably see Don F in a clip from that era. You know they are going to talk about HC. So Randy will probably be seen in a clip from the 70s about HC unless they do a current clip.

SO unless the people who put together the video montage before the guest performers sing leave everything out from 1972 to 1994, I do expect to see those guys in the video montage. Yes I know they are not being honored, but I have a feeling they can't leave them out when it comes to how they form in that video montage.

Does anybody understand what I'm saying now about the video package? That's what I've been trying to explain for a while. I know they won't be in the biographies on the website or in article, but I know they won't be left out of the video montage during the ceremony.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Ok. I know Bernie, Randy or Don will not be part of this honor. Heck I knew that when they first announced the guys being honorees and even some of the articles said the current member, but I also know their will be footage of those three in the video montage to talk about the history of the Eagles. Believe me. I wasn't upset about that. Heck. Before the HOTE documentary, I only knew of both Dons, Glenn, Timothy and Joe. SO I wasn't upset about the other three not part of it. I knew it will only be Don, Glenn, Timothy and Joe. Plus I'm one of the ones who was soo happy they finally got this honoree even though I didn't know how big and special this award was even though I've been watch KCH for years. This award is very well deserve for the guys.

Am I the only person who knows about the small video montage they do before the tribute performance. They do that with all the honorees. Its even shown in Billy's video I posted. They have to talk about the former members and how they came to what they are now in the video.

I've been saying that's the only time we will see or hear their names during the video montage. You have to remember, the presenter who will talk about the Eagles history has to say something about Randy, Bernie, and Don F or show clips of them in that video. Its like let's skip all the albums between Eagles LP and even HFO and go straight to LROOF and today. You just can't do that. I know they will talk about HFO because that's when they got back together 14 years after they broke up. I know that will be video montage package. So they will probably see Don F in a clip from that era. You know they are going to talk about HC. So Randy will probably be seen in a clip from the 70s about HC unless they do a current clip.

SO unless the people who put together the video montage before the guest performers sing leave everything out from 1972 to 1994, I do expect to see those guys in the video montage. Yes I know they are not being honored, but I have a feeling they can't leave them out when it comes to how they form in that video montage.

Does anybody understand what I'm saying now about the video package? That's what I've been trying to explain for a while. I know they won't be in the biographies on the website or in article, but I know they won't be left out of the video montage during the ceremony.

Yes, of course I understand, as I've been saying kind of the same thing. I just wanted to make it more clear for those who are not familiar with the event or not understand English all that well that being mentioned is not the same as receiving the medal. Also, there's no guarantee everyone can view the videos, or understand all that is said (or even have time to watch the videos). I've watched all the shows as they were aired, and I can honestly say that other than watching Henley sing at Billy Joel's induction, I've never gone back and re-watched any of them and I don't plan to.

sodascouts
07-18-2015, 11:00 AM
We're all speculating and speculating and speculating and while that's fun, criticizing or justifying what might be said, what might be shown, and what might happen seems to be getting ahead of oneself. We'll all see soon enough.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Part of the problem is that it's not soon! Normally I don't mind them being announced so far ahead of time, but this wait will be forever. At least for me, once we get to November time will fly.

shunlvswx
07-18-2015, 01:30 PM
I know, VA. Its the waiting. 4 or 5 months until KCH. Once they do the celebration, we will find out who will pay tribute to them. I'm so glad they have articles of the celebration weeks before the broadcast. I don't know how I can hang 3 weeks until we get to see the broadcast.

AlreadyGone95
07-18-2015, 01:34 PM
I think that once Cass County is released, then for me, time wilk fly. It's the wait for both it and the Kennedy Center Honors that makes time move soo slllooowww. Lol

GoranV
07-18-2015, 05:16 PM

Bernie still in band, so how can you say forfeited future events? Also disagree Bernie, Randy and Don F. had every right to be included in RRHOF. I no understand why people think current members more important than original and earlier members.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-18-2015, 05:28 PM
Bernie still in band, so how can you say forfeited future events? Also disagree Bernie, Randy and Don F. had every right to be included in RRHOF. I no understand why people think current members more important than original and earlier members.

Goran, you must not be reading all the posts here. They did deserve RRHOF. This, though, is a lifetime achievement, not a few years. Bernie is not in the band, he's touring as a special guest.

NightMistBlue
07-22-2015, 10:50 AM

I'm happy for the fellas getting this much-deserved honor, but it would be so great if they could include Randy and Bernie. Randy is probably not able to perform anymore but just to be able to sit with the band while they are lauded would be a beautiful thing, especially since Randy couldn't participate in the History tour.

Funk 50
07-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Anybody questioning whether the Eagles are high art (whatever that is) mustn't be aware of the their ticket prices they command.

This article, I read on L&M's Eagles Fast Lane site, examines the effect that TV and pop culture in general, has had on the The Kennedy Center Honours.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/pop-go-the-honors/2015/07/23/dde57ce6-2fbd-11e5-97ae-30a30cca95d7_story.html

As an Eagles fan I found this sentence, from the article, a little biting;

The Honors should return to what they were in the beginning, primarily focused on the live, performing arts, makers who are not primarily engaged in packaging and repackaging commercial, corporate entertainment products

It's an unavoidable consequence of honouring more people, that the honour, overtime, becomes less exclusive. :|

VAisForEagleLovers
07-25-2015, 07:18 PM
Thanks, F50. I read this at work on Friday, and added my comment to the article at the end. Jackasses.

jms18222
07-25-2015, 08:23 PM
All I can say is you guys are rushing my summer away!!!!

Yes they sure seemed to be in a happy mood last Friday but I took that as they were happy to have the tour almost finished.

I very much doubt they had any say what-so-ever as to who was/wasn't included. I think the fact that there is still ongoing litigation with Felder & the band would preclude his inclusion. Bernie & Randy quit the band. Bernie was invited back to play with the band but was not invited back as a member of the band.

I am so very proud for these guys. It is well deserved & long overdue. IIRC didn't Don take JD as his "date" to the RRHoF?

cynd1231
07-26-2015, 10:00 AM
I find the entire article to be an insult to my intelligence as well as my love of the 'arts' because I truly enjoy ALL forms of art...well-written plays, musical productions, dance (and not just ballet), the symphony and concerts. It is narrow-minded and prejudice to ignore ANY segment of "performing" art just because it is more modern-day. I applaud the Kennedy Center for having the insight and courage to grow and expand by recognizing there is so much more to the arts than those areas that existed at the time of its inception.

VA, I read your comment at the end of the article and you really hit the nail on the head! I must say that the writer comes across as a member of the limo-riding, designer-wearing, dripping-in-jewels segment of society who have the misguided belief that it's their responsibility and right to decide what qualifies as art. I have little respect for folks like that.

Lisa
07-26-2015, 10:15 AM
The members of a band have a contract that includes their names as members of a band when they sign their group's recording contract.
It may be implied that an honor includes members of the band who have been signed as official members of a band in an official band (band name) contract.

An honor is an honor.

UndertheWire
07-27-2015, 07:14 AM
I'm clearly a low-brow because the only names I recognised on that honors list were George Lucas, Carole King and the Eagles. Another way to look at it is that a list that includes popular culture along with more classical culture is beneficial to the less well-known performers. Their names and the tributes to their work will reach a much bigger audience.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-27-2015, 08:26 AM
I find the entire article to be an insult to my intelligence as well as my love of the 'arts' because I truly enjoy ALL forms of art...well-written plays, musical productions, dance (and not just ballet), the symphony and concerts. It is narrow-minded and prejudice to ignore ANY segment of "performing" art just because it is more modern-day. I applaud the Kennedy Center for having the insight and courage to grow and expand by recognizing there is so much more to the arts than those areas that existed at the time of its inception.

VA, I read your comment at the end of the article and you really hit the nail on the head! I must say that the writer comes across as a member of the limo-riding, designer-wearing, dripping-in-jewels segment of society who have the misguided belief that it's their responsibility and right to decide what qualifies as art. I have little respect for folks like that.

What gets me is there is a well respected and well known Performing Arts Center right down the road from the Kennedy Center, Wolf Trap. It's biggest venue, the Filene Center, is an amphitheater, so of course it's not formal. They pride themselves on covering all the performing arts. Their smaller venue is The Barns. JD Souther played The Barns a few years ago, as has Shawn Colvin. Joe played Filene Center in 2012, Robert Plant played there in 2013. I've seen Riverdance there, Mozart's The Magic Flute opera, and The National Symphony. I've seen Barbara Mandrell there and Mary Chapin Carpenter as well.

I should have suggested to the author that he form a committee who is willing to come up with a prestigious award that 'means something' and award it to those that only 10% of DC's population can relate to. Then let me know how long that lasts.

Funk 50
07-27-2015, 01:06 PM
I expect the TV audience is affected by how well known the Kennedy Centre Honours. recipients are. The TV company will be very pleased that some famous artists will be there to attract the viewers.

This article must deserve some award for the number of inaccuracies per paragraph: http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/07/26/music-kennedy-center-must-choose-its-eagles-julia-fordhams-pipes-better-than-the-public-theaters-sam-moore-digs-muscle-shoals

Freypower
07-27-2015, 06:39 PM
The members of a band have a contract that includes their names as members of a band when they sign their group's recording contract.
It may be implied that an honor includes members of the band who have been signed as official members of a band in an official band (band name) contract.

An honor is an honor.

The Variety article at the start of this thread clearly states that the 'core' (i.e. current) band members are to be honoured.

Freypower
07-27-2015, 06:41 PM
I'm clearly a low-brow because the only names I recognised on that honors list were George Lucas, Carole King and the Eagles. Another way to look at it is that a list that includes popular culture along with more classical culture is beneficial to the less well-known performers. Their names and the tributes to their work will reach a much bigger audience.

Seiji Ozawa is a renowned Japanese conductor (I have a CD of him conducting the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto). Rita Moreno is a Hispanic actress best known for her role in West Side Story for which she won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar. Cicely Tyson is an African American actress known for her roles in films like Sounder.

Fleurette767
08-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Are you aware there's a petition out there on Change.Org that's asking the Kennedy Center to reconsider including past Eagles members? And that Don Felder Tweeted it yesterday? Are you kidding me? What do you think of this petition?

Funk 50
08-04-2015, 12:10 PM
It's just a hunch but if Felder get's invited, I think he could be the only Eagle in attendance.
Would he really have the gall to accept an honour on behalf of the Eagles after publicly slagging them off for the last 10 years or so?

AlreadyGone95
08-04-2015, 12:14 PM
It's just a hunch but if Felder get's invited, I think he could be the only Eagle in attendance.
Would he really have the gall to accept an honour on behalf of the Eagles after publicly slagging them off for the last 10 years or so?

F50, you read my mind. I thought the exact same thing.

UndertheWire
08-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Are you aware there's a petition out there on Change.Org that's asking the Kennedy Center to reconsider including past Eagles members? And that Don Felder Tweeted it yesterday? Are you kidding me? What do you think of this petition?
I've no problem with someone starting a petition but Felder posting it on his Facebook page isn't such a good idea. It's just a magnet to Felder fans who want to bitch.

Fleurette767
08-04-2015, 12:52 PM
I was shocked to see that Don Felder tweeted that. Frankly, I don't think he seriously believes that the Kennedy Center committee will change their minds; so to me, this is a very illuminating action from him, and very provocative. He's just doing this to taint the honor for FHW&S. This is sooo messed up.

I get it. He created some musical history with the Eagles that's not to be denied; but with this action he's creating a new history for himself. Rather than people remembering his contributions, he's starting to look petty, foolish and desperate. Does this man have a publicist? WTHeck???

UndertheWire
08-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Does this man have a publicist? WTHeck???
It's all publicity for him. If he's lucky, it gets picked up by the local media wherever he's playing next. I think he also likes to be told how he made the Eagles and what jerks Frey and Henley are.

AlreadyGone95
08-04-2015, 05:09 PM
If anyone wants to read more about the petition, here's an article about it.
http://www.noise11.com/news/eagles-fans-start-petition-to-include-early-members-in-kennedy-honors-20150804

DJ
08-04-2015, 08:00 PM
All the past aside, I think they should all be honored at the Kennedy Center. They all contributed to the Eagles in one form or another.

cynd1231
08-04-2015, 10:05 PM

Interesting to say the least. But I don't see the KCH selection committee caving to a change.org petition, especially in terms of Don Felder since he just can't seem to stop his mouth from running off about the bad blood. Likewise, I can't believe the committee isn't aware of it! IMO, his behavior on 'the issue' thru the years qualifies as "conduct unbecoming" a recipient of the elite KCH.

And Felder's publicist is probably getting tired of trying to do any damage control for a client who has a gigantic chip on his shoulder and showed incredible bad judgment by posting it on his own Twitter page. As UTW said, it's all about publicity...and in extremely poor taste.

Funk 50
08-05-2015, 05:36 AM
I think it probably makes good business sense for Felder to continually emphasize his Eagles attributes. Jack Tempchin and JD Souther certainly benefit from their Eagles associations too.

Hell Froze Over, 14 years after the Eagles first split, 14 years after Felder was jettisoned, Hell's still burning as furiously it ever was, as far as I can see.

It's great to see the Eagles being nominated for honours and awards but I'd much prefer to see them in the news for producing new music.

UndertheWire
08-05-2015, 06:39 AM
For Led Zeppelin, the KC tribute ended with an emotional performance of Stairway to Heaven which honoured John Bonham, even though he wasn't a formal honouree and it was very touching. However, it made me realise what a difficult problem the show organisers have with Hotel California. It's the best known Eagles song but it's also the one most closely associated with Don Felder. It's awkward if it's included and awkward if it's not.

In an ideal world, all members, past and present, would be included but only if there was confidence that they could be in the same room and be not only civil but look relaxed and friendly. Such a reconcililation is a delicate thing and following the documentary, I believe they're at that point with Glenn, Don H, Bernie and Randy. Of course, Felder is a different matter.

Felder made a bad choice in promoting the petition - you can't be seen to be campaigning for an honour. Perhaps he should have primed a friendly journalist to ask him about it and then he could have (humbly) admitted that while he'd love to be honoured, he really thinks it's more appropriate for Bernie and Randy as founders. If the journalist pressed him, he could agree that he wrote the music for HC, their most successful song... you know how it goes.

DivineDon
08-06-2015, 12:55 PM
I really don't think Felder could even feign humility, he comes across as so narcissistic.

...and as for campaigning to be honoured himself...I'm afraid that while he was blessed with magic in his fingers, he has marbles in his head.

Personally, I think it must have been a conundrum for the committee but I'm sure I read something in the citation about the 'ongoing' or 'continued' good work that the honorees do, so maybe it's because the current crop are still packing in the crowds and keeping the name alive that only they are nominated.

NightMistBlue
08-06-2015, 01:12 PM
But KCH also describe it as a lifetime achievement award, for a body of work, and the fact is that the former members of the group played an enormous part in creating that body of work.

To me, it's unclear whether the guy who started the petition plans to submit it to the band or to KCH. Surely it's the band who decided that the former members would not be included in the honor.

DivineDon
08-06-2015, 01:52 PM
I got the impression the band have no say in the matter

Funk 50
11-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Awful news courtesy of Eagles Fast Lane....

Glenn Facing Surgery

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2015/11/04/eagles-founder-glenn-frey-facing-surgery-band-to-put-off-kennedy-center-honor/

Freypower
11-04-2015, 04:46 PM
My thoughts & best wishes go out to him & I hope he makes a full recovery.

Glennsallnighter
11-04-2015, 05:09 PM
Of course I echo your sentiments FP.

Brooke
11-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Oh my! I'm so sorry for Glenn, but glad they can change it to next year for him!

L101
11-04-2015, 05:58 PM
Sorry to hear that about Glenn but it's good they they can be honoured next year instead when Glenn is fully recovered.

NOLA
11-04-2015, 07:52 PM
I hope that Glenn has a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. Glad to know that those in power at the KC have decided to postpone the ceremony. Get well, Glenn! :smile:

11-05-2015, 12:43 AM
OMG - I was so looking forward to this, but the guys' health must come first, of course. I hope Glenn has a speedy recovery and am really glad that the band will be honored next year.

UndertheWire
11-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Will Obama still be President for the 2016 Honors? I know there's an election next year but my understanding is the new President doesn't take office until January 2017. Does the President-Elect attend?

NightMistBlue
11-11-2015, 12:17 PM
You're imagining Donald Trump giving Henley a big hug, aren't you? :)

I think Obama would do the Kennedy Center duty in December 2016, pretty sure.

L101
11-11-2015, 01:11 PM

LOL - now that I would love to see!! So funny :smile: ;-)

AlreadyGone95
11-11-2015, 01:14 PM

That's a mental picture that's hard to envision! I don't think that Don would be very happy about that.

UndertheWire
11-11-2015, 01:58 PM

Thanks for that image. I was thinking that being photgraphed with a Republican president might not make Henley a happy man, but Donald Trump would make it so much better.

Barbra Streisand on receiving the honour from George W Bush:
http://www.barbrastreisand.com/us/statement/kennedy-center-honors

shunlvswx
11-11-2015, 02:13 PM
Will Obama still be President for the 2016 Honors? I know there's an election next year but my understanding is the new President doesn't take office until January 2017. Does the President-Elect attend?

He will be there. 2016 will be his last KCH. I don't think I ever seen the President Elect at the ceremony when it was election year.

DivineDon
11-11-2015, 04:40 PM
You're imagining Donald Trump giving Henley a big hug,

Hilarious! !!! I can just see Don's face :(

Brooke
11-12-2015, 04:55 PM
OMG, too funny!

I agree, it will be President Obama.

LuvTim
11-13-2015, 12:22 AM

I think Obama would do the Kennedy Center duty in December 2016, pretty sure.

That paints a pretty funny picture, for sure, NMB! :hilarious:

ktdids
12-07-2015, 01:23 AM
Just read an article about the ceremony tonight, and it seems Miranda Lambert, I think, sang Desperado to represent the Eagles. There was a mention about Glenn not being healthy enough to allow the band to participate in the ceremony until next year.

shunlvswx
12-07-2015, 02:18 AM
That's cool. I'm guessing Miranda was probably going to be one of the artist paying tribute to the guys if they were able to attend this year. I can't wait to see her version of Desperado on the 29th. Of course if CBS will aired that part.

I was thinking about the guys on Saturday as the weekend long celebration for the KCH began. A picture of somebody(I couldn't tell who it was) putting the KCH ribbon around Cicely Tyson's neck popped up on my newsfeed and I started to think about the guys at that moment.

I was imagining what the president would had said about the guys last night(Sunday night) at the White House. What song was his favorite(I know he was going to say something about the HC album), and talk about what they have done as a group and their tribute to music.

Seeing the guys enjoying themselves(The White House do post a video on YouTube of the president talking about each honoree at the White House. So we will get to see that). Seeing them in their tux, seeing their wives behind them at the theater (you don't ever see all the guys wives together in one place. Very rare). Wondering who was going to pay tribute to them, watching their faces as they listen to the artist who were honoring them and and also wondering what songs will those artist sing. A lot of wondering.

12-29-2015, 11:02 PM
Well - I'm sitting here watching the Kennedy Center Honors and my bittersweet mood was just somewhat lightened. Stephen Colbert came out on stage and announced that the Eagles were supposed to be honored, but had to postpone because of Glenn's health. He said the guys decided to postpone it until next year so they could be honored the way they made their music - together. Then Miranda Lambert performed a lovely version of Desperado.

NightMistBlue
12-29-2015, 11:09 PM
"Together and shirtless"! That was funny. He's familiar with the infamous boat pictures, no doubt.

AlreadyGone95
12-29-2015, 11:21 PM
My uncle called me when he heard the beginning of Desperado. He'd been flipping through the channels and caught Miranda just as she started singing. (I myself had decided not to watch it and was watching youtube videos instead). Nice that Stephen did mention them. I'd love to see them shirtless! :lol:

shunlvswx
12-29-2015, 11:52 PM
I'm watching too. I'm glad they brought up why the guys weren't there. I didn't know if they were going to say anything.

I'm watching Carole King's tribute. I like how they are doing Carole's tribute: storytelling and singing. I saw the Troudabor in the background in one of the performer's tribute.

You gotta love Aretha Franklin stealing the show.

shunlvswx
12-29-2015, 11:57 PM
Its the 2nd anniversary of Don paying tribute to Billy Joel. I almost forgot if it wasn't for notification of what happen on this day on Facebook.

12-30-2015, 01:18 AM
Yeah - The Troubadour backdrop was during Carole King's tribute. Maybe they can reuse that for a certain group of honorees next year. :rockon:

Brooke
12-30-2015, 11:43 AM
I watched it too and was happily surprised when Stephen mentioned them. Loved his shirtless comment! And Miranda did a nice job with Desperado.

I'm really surprised they did that at all! I figured they wouldn't even be mentioned since they couldn't come.

NOLA
12-30-2015, 03:08 PM
Sadly, I missed the segments about the band, because I didn't think anything would be said or sung due to their absence. Didn't turn it on until the tribute to Cicely Tyson which I enjoyed, because her film, "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman," is a longtime favorite.

Anyway, James Taylor and Aretha Franklin were spot on with their performances and moved Carole King to tears. They all looked great! Also enjoyed watching both the President and First Lady grooving along to the music.

shunlvswx
12-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Sadly, I missed the segments about the band, because I didn't think anything would be said or sung due to their absence. Didn't turn it on until the tribute to Cicely Tyson which I enjoyed, because her film, "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman," is a longtime favorite.

Anyway, James Taylor and Aretha Franklin were spot on with their performances and moved Carole King to tears. They all looked great! Also enjoyed watching both the President and First Lady grooving along to the music.

Actually, NOLA. You were just a few minutes late of seeing the segments on the guys. They were right before Cicely's tribute.

Brooke
12-30-2015, 04:18 PM
I don't usually watch this, but I did this time and really enjoyed the whole show. I love Carole King too.

DJ
12-30-2015, 05:31 PM
I did see Stephen say they couldn't attend, that was nice. I sure hope it's for all 7 when it does happen next year. I thought Miranda's version of Desperado was fair, I am very partial to Don's version the most. :heart:

Brooke
12-30-2015, 05:43 PM
DJ, I don't think in a million years that all seven will be there. Hadn't it already been announced that it would be the four remaining members?

I am also partial to Don's Desperado. Or Glenn's or Linda Ronstadt's. No one else should touch it, but that's just me! I was a bit disappointed in Miranda. I know she can do better, but maybe I just like her singing her own songs.

shunlvswx
12-30-2015, 07:46 PM
I thought we dropped the discussion about all 7 being honored. All 7 will not be honored. Only Don, Glenn, Timothy and Joe will be honored. Bernie, Randy and DonF will be mention (if they do) in the montage on how the Eagles were formed. I don't think that will be changed on who is honored next year.

Glennhoney
12-30-2015, 08:30 PM
Hope they get a better performer than Miranda for next year....:thumbsdown:

12-30-2015, 10:37 PM
Here is a YouTube video of last night's segment about the band. Miranda's version of Desperado wasn't the best version I've ever heard :wink:, but I thought she did a nice job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJeCh0jrPo4

AlreadyGone95
12-31-2015, 02:51 AM
Here's an article talking about Miranda singing Desperado.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3378459/Miranda-Lambert-gives-heartfelt-rendition-Eagles-classic-song-Desperado-Kennedy-Center-Honors.html

I actually like her version. No one can sing it like Don, or even Glenn, can, but I think that she did a pretty good job.

DivineDon
12-31-2015, 05:20 AM
I thought her version was awful - no feeling and very poor diction. If I hadn't known all the words I wouldn't have been able to understand her.

UndertheWire
12-31-2015, 05:39 AM
I didn't like it. I'm not a fan of the country styling and it made even a great song sound mediocre.

maryc2130
12-31-2015, 10:05 AM
Desperado is probably my favorite song (with some competition from Waiting in the Weeds), and DH is my favorite singer. I never thought I'd hear a version that I'd like better than Don's until I heard Linda's, which is pretty close to perfection, IMHO. I also like Glenn's.

Miranda's is passable, but that's about the best I can say for it. She has a nice voice, but she doesn't put much heart into it and her facial expressions and gestures seem kind of wrong for the parts of the song she's singing. It was nice that they honored the Eagles in a small way, and I would think Don must like Miranda's voice since she sings on his new album.

I agree with others, though, that I hope they find someone better to honor the Eagles next year.

NOLA
12-31-2015, 10:43 AM
Actually, NOLA. You were just a few minutes late of seeing the segments on the guys. They were right before Cicely's tribute.

Considering some of the negative responses regarding Miranda's performance, I'm sort of glad I missed it.

But, I'm wondering who will be amongst the performers next year. Hoping for some of the folks who appeared on Common Thread and/or Cass County.

shunlvswx
12-31-2015, 11:21 AM
To tell the truth. I really didn't like Miranda's version. I like some of her songs, but her voice was kinda annoying when she did this song.

Also everybody. When they do the guys honor next year, we have to keep an open mind when it comes to the performer doing their version of the guys hits. Of course it won't be as good as the guys version or this song sounds better with this person. We have to keep an open mind when they do their twist on the song they will sing.

I'm looking forward to what songs will be sung and who will be singing it next year. Miranda was probably originally going to be one of the performers to pay tribute to the guys if they were able to come and I had a feeling Desperado was one of the songs.

Its going to be a very long 12 months, but I'm happy to know that the guys will be on the 2016 list of honorees.

DivineDon
12-31-2015, 12:13 PM
Here's an article talking about Miranda singing Desperado.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3378459/Miranda-Lambert-gives-heartfelt-rendition-Eagles-classic-song-Desperado-Kennedy-Center-Honors.html

I actually like her version. No one can sing it like Don, or even Glenn, can, but I think that she did a pretty good job.

They seemed more interested in Miranda's appearance and love life than the song in this article!!! :smile:

sodascouts
12-31-2015, 12:19 PM
I'm glad they got a bit of a tribute. I hope next year is bigger and better since they'll be there in attendance.

12-31-2015, 01:49 PM
I'm confident they'll do it up right next year. I agree with shun though, nobody can perform our guy's music like they can, but we will, hopefully, still get a well done and creative tribute. I thought they did a great job with Carole King's tribute this year the way they told her story. Maybe the creator's of the Eagles' tribute can take a few pointers from that.

Freypower
12-31-2015, 07:30 PM
To tell the truth. I really didn't like Miranda's version. I like some of her songs, but her voice was kinda annoying when she did this song.

Also everybody. When they do the guys honor next year, we have to keep an open mind when it comes to the performer doing their version of the guys hits. Of course it won't be as good as the guys version or this song sounds better with this person. We have to keep an open mind when they do their twist on the song they will sing.

I'm looking forward to what songs will be sung and who will be singing it next year. Miranda was probably originally going to be one of the performers to pay tribute to the guys if they were able to come and I had a feeling Desperado was one of the songs.

Its going to be a very long 12 months, but I'm happy to know that the guys will be on the 2016 list of honorees.

How many songs are usually sung? I thought it was one song per honoree. Did anyone else sing any of Carole King's songs apart from Aretha's Natural Woman?

I'm more interested in seeing the Eagles with President Obama, to be honest.

shunlvswx
12-31-2015, 08:14 PM
Its usually between 4 to 6 songs the performers sing on the show. Let me rephrase that. The ones that are singers. I think they may have about 2 or 3 for the actors. The last song of the honoree's tribute is usually the big finale. A few examples: One year, during Led Zeppelin's tribute, a choir had on hats(I guess paying tribute to John Bonham) as they sung Stairway to Highway with Heart or during Billy Joel's tribute, they had the firemen and policemen I'm thinking from NYC sing Piano Man with Rufus Wainwright and all the performers who paid tribute to Billy. The last song of the honoree's tribute is usually wonderful, powerful and emotional. Usually their biggest hit.'

I'm also looking forward to the little reception they have at the White House with the president before the celebration. The president makes funny jokes about each honorees and what he likes about them if he knows about them. They usually post that on YouTube.

James Taylor sang Up on The Roof and he was built apartment with him singing on the roof. Another woman sang I think it was When You Still Love Me Tomorrow. I can't remembered. I have to find the clip on YouTube. Sara Bernellius(SP?) sang You've Got A Friend.

If the musical comes out next year, maybe the performers from their musical will do what they did with Carole King. I thought that was clever and inventive. I've never seen anything like that before.

Freypower
12-31-2015, 08:31 PM
OK, thanks for clarifying that, but frankly I would rather the Eagles be honoured by established musicians rather than the people who may be in this musical.

cynd1231
12-31-2015, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post

I wasn't impressed with her performance and, IMO, she appeared to be attempting to channel Linda Ronstadt with the clothes and hair.

Witchy Woman
01-01-2016, 12:25 AM
Miranda wasn't that bad, but Aretha blew me away with her version of Natural Woman. I really enjoyed seeing Carole's reaction to her as well.

LuvTim
01-01-2016, 12:47 AM
Miranda wasn't that bad, but Aretha blew me away with her version of Natural Woman. I really enjoyed seeing Carole's reaction to her as well.

Carole's reaction was priceless. I really enjoyed that, too.

Tiffanny Twisted
01-01-2016, 11:41 AM
I watched the whole thing ! I always do.
I loved cece singing the hymn . It was very emotional.
Aretha stole the show.
I was not impressed with miranda at all

I was happy they mentioned the eagles

In past shows the standouts I remember is steven tyler doing paul mccartney

Don and garth doing billy joel

LuvTim
01-01-2016, 11:56 AM
Its usually between 4 to 6 songs the performers sing on the show. Let me rephrase that. The ones that are singers. I think they may have about 2 or 3 for the actors. The last song of the honoree's tribute is usually the big finale. A few examples: One year, during Led Zeppelin's tribute, a choir had on hats(I guess paying tribute to John Bonham) as they sung Stairway to Highway with Heart or during Billy Joel's tribute, they had the firemen and policemen I'm thinking from NYC sing Piano Man with Rufus Wainwright and all the performers who paid tribute to Billy. The last song of the honoree's tribute is usually wonderful, powerful and emotional. Usually their biggest hit.'

I'm also looking forward to the little reception they have at the White House with the president before the celebration. The president makes funny jokes about each honorees and what he likes about them if he knows about them. They usually post that on YouTube.

James Taylor sang Up on The Roof and he was built apartment with him singing on the roof. Another woman sang I think it was When You Still Love Me Tomorrow. I can't remembered. I have to find the clip on YouTube. Sara Bernellius(SP?) sang You've Got A Friend.

If the musical comes out next year, maybe the performers from their musical will do what they did with Carole King. I thought that was clever and inventive. I've never seen anything like that before.

I love the Kennedy Center Honors. :smile:

Shun, I remember the Heart salute to LZ, and how impressed I was with their rendition of STH. Foreshadowing, right? Because then I attended a Heart concert recently and saw them do several LZ songs in their last set. It was so exciting. They were so very good. :rockon:

secret squirrel
01-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Here's another short article: http://theboot.com/miranda-lambert-desperado-the-eagles-tribute-2015-kennedy-center-honors/

Hope Glenn makes a speedy recovery.

Happy New Year, everyone!

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/more-real-music-please.html

NightMistBlue
06-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Is anyone here thinking of attending the Kennedy Center honors in December? I assume tickets are hard to come by; perhaps it's already too late.

buffyfan145
06-05-2016, 04:21 PM
I'm guessing they'll still give it to them this year since they weren't able to last year. The official list seems to come out in July so we won't know for sure till then. I hope they still do and should be a really nice tribute as well. About tickets I wouldn't know but I figure it's really hard to get.

shunlvswx
06-05-2016, 04:23 PM
I think those tickets cost thousands of dollars and I think it is hard to get. If any of the public gets them, they had to have some major money to go. I think I read on Wikipedia its invitation only. I could be wrong, but I think it is hard to get tickets.

Yeah. We won't know if the guys will still do it until the list comes out in July. They probably will still do it.

NightMistBlue
06-06-2016, 09:31 AM
Since the Eagles are no longer a going concern (there are no "current" vs. past members distinctions to be made), perhaps all of the guys will be included in the honor. Each member contributed to the band's music and its legacy.

shunlvswx
06-06-2016, 09:47 AM
We will have wait and see when the list comes out next month who's being honored.

Freypower
06-06-2016, 06:24 PM
Since the Eagles are no longer a going concern (there are no "current" vs. past members distinctions to be made), perhaps all of the guys will be included in the honor. Each member contributed to the band's music and its legacy.

The decision had already been made as to who the honorees were & I don't know why that would now be changed. It will be meaningless anyway & perhaps shouldn't be proceeded with.

I realise that others may think differently but the idea of Don, Joe & Tim having to turn up to this & be confronted by Don Felder is not what they need. I'm sorry NMB. The reality is we don't know if Randy could attend in any case. If it is to occur it should be left as it was originally planned.

travlnman2
06-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that if Felder shows up which he kind of deserves to as they all do. But I think if he would show up maybe the feud would end and he and his supporters would finally shut the :censored: up.:shrug:

Freypower
06-06-2016, 07:58 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that if Felder shows up which he kind of deserves to as they all do. But I think if he would show up maybe the feud would end and he and his supporters would finally shut the :censored: up.:shrug:

It isn't a question of him 'showing up'. The original intention of the organisation was to honour the then current members of the Eagles. I would have thought if they still intend to bestow the honour it will be given to Don Henley, Joe Walsh & Timothy B. Schmit. It would appear from reading this thread again that Glenn cannot be honoured posthumously. It hurts to write this, it really does.

buffyfan145
06-06-2016, 09:16 PM
I just did a quick Google search about it and looked on Wikipedia for the award and it doesn't look like they have honored someone posthumously. They did honor bands before who had members that passed away, but again it was the living or current members as they did when The Who got it. It's possible since the Eagles were supposed to get it last year and it was postponed they could change it, but it would be the first time since it doesn't look like it's ever happened with a postponed honoree passing away. We'll just have to wait and see when they announce the recipients next month.

Funk 50
06-07-2016, 03:59 AM
Reading the Wikipedia page it says the Eagles were honoured in their absence last year:

In November 2015, one month before the actual ceremony, the Eagles postponed their honors until the following year because Glenn Frey had intestinal problems that required major surgery and a long recovery period. Despite their absence, they were still honored in 2015 via a performance of "Desperado" by country singer Miranda Lambert. Glenn Frey died on January 18, 2016.

Am I the only one who thinks that if Felder shows up which he kind of deserves to as they all do. But I think if he would show up maybe the feud would end and he and his supporters would finally shut the :censored: up.

Well I don't agree with you travinman2. Firstly you can't ignore Felder's attempts to sully the reputation of the Eagles and secondly, an end to the feud would ignite endless speculation about Felder working with the Eagles again.

It will be meaningless anyway & perhaps shouldn't be proceeded with.
Spoken like a true Frey fan :-D

Last year Henley was really keen on the honour, maybe Glenn's death will give him a different perspective.

UndertheWire
06-07-2016, 04:03 AM
From last year:

Kennedy Center President Deborah Rutter, who took over the arts center after last year's event had already been planned, said there are no rules for the selection.
“The good news is there’s no best picture, best director, best actor,” Rutter said, referring to other awards shows. “There’s nothing that says we can’t do what we want to do.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/george-lucas-carole-king-rita-moreno-selected-for-kennedy-center-honors/2015/07/15/24f527ac-2a60-11e5-bd33-395c05608059_story.html

I think they will want to honour Glenn.

AlreadyGone95
06-07-2016, 08:34 AM
I don't see the reason why they would honor the band without including Glenn. How could they leave out half of the duo who founded the band, did a majority of the songwriting over the years, and kept the band together? It just would look odd to honor Don, Joe, and Tim without doing the same to Glenn. Personally, I would rather it be forgotten about they did that.

buffyfan145
06-07-2016, 10:17 AM
I agree AG. The Kennedy Centre used to get some criticism against them because they would only honor living artists. I know a lot a lot of Beatles fans that say they should start giving ones not only to bands and artists like the Beatles, but also actors, musicians, and others in the arts that have passed away. Paul McCartney is the only Beatle that was honored, while the band or other members' solo careers weren't. I know I've questioned it myself while others awards can be give posthumously.

This is a completely different situation though since Glenn, Don, Joe, and Timothy were supposed to get it last year and the Kennedy Centre never had one of her honorees die before the ceremony either with a postponement or in the time between the announcement and the ceremony till now. So it could be the first time someone is awarded it posthumously because of the postponement and the Kennedy Centre saying the Eagles would get it this year.

shunlvswx
06-07-2016, 11:34 AM
I don't think the people at the KCH didn't think Glenn was going to die two months after they announced they were postponing their honor until this year. Like us, they probably thought Glenn was going to be better and he'll be there next year. Or we will see them later in the year. So it was understandable to postpone it until this year since they thought Glenn will be alright by then.

I was thankful that they brought up why the Eagles weren't there and having Miranda honor the Eagles by singing Desperado. Like one article said, they will properly honored the guys next year.

From what I read, only two people postponed their honors. The Eagles and Paul McCartney(he originally was going to be honored in 2002, but instead got it in 2010).

I guess we have to wait and see if the guys will still do it. Wikipedia still have them down for this year and haven't heard anything about the guys deciding to not do it.

Dawn
06-07-2016, 02:23 PM
I am almost certain the remaining Eagles will perform perhaps with Deacon Frey taking his dad's place. I remember a few years ago when Led Zeppelin was honored Queen performed Stairway to Heaven with Led Zeppelin deceased drummer John Bonham's son Jason Bonham playing drums. Can I just say - it was an AMAZING Performance. Blew me away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFxOaDeJmXk

MaryCalifornia
06-07-2016, 02:28 PM
I'm pretty sure the honorees have never performed at this ceremony, though, right?

shunlvswx
06-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Yes you're right, MC.

The honorees do not perform. The honorees sit in the balcony with the President. In the balcony, its usually the honorees, the President and First Lady, the honorees family(Usually their spouse are right behind. Sometimes their children are behind them if they are not married or widowed), and their other people. The honorees just sit back and enjoyed the whole ceremony.

I always enjoy seeing the other honorees singing along to the songs of their fellow honorees. You also get to see their reaction to their guest performers who are honoring them.

Dawn
06-07-2016, 03:16 PM
I've never seen an Honoree perform - I could be mistaken but I do not believe that's happened before.

I loved the Brian Wilson tribute - so many great musicians and vocalists - eg Hootie and the Blowfish - :faint:

I do think it's possible Deacon Frey could make an appearance with a close friend like Jackson Browne - or Bob Seger. Just makes sense in light of Glenn's tremendous contribution to the Eagles and the bandmates being honored without him.

Time will tell - I don't know if Deacon would even want to do it - that's a lot of pressure for a young guy. I can't wait to see the lineup of performers and songs they choose.. It's going to be bittersweet - got my tissue box reserved.

Freypower
06-07-2016, 05:53 PM
I've never seen an Honoree perform - I could be mistaken but I do not believe that's happened before.

I loved the Brian Wilson tribute - so many great musicians and vocalists - eg Hootie and the Blowfish - :faint:

I do think it's possible Deacon Frey could make an appearance with a close friend like Jackson Browne - or Bob Seger. Just makes sense in light of Glenn's tremendous contribution to the Eagles and the bandmates being honored without him.

Time will tell - I don't know if Deacon would even want to do it - that's a lot of pressure for a young guy. I can't wait to see the lineup of performers and songs they choose.. It's going to be bittersweet - got my tissue box reserved.

If it occurs, and I stand by my opinion that it shouldn't, they will have somebody very well known to perform, not Deacon Frey. Deacon would be there as a member of the family.

Dawn
06-07-2016, 06:59 PM
If it occurs, and I stand by my opinion that it shouldn't, they will have somebody very well known to perform, not Deacon Frey. Deacon would be there as a member of the family.

Led Zeppelin broke up in 1980 after the death of their drummer John Bonham.

They were honored by the Kennedy Center in 2012 - with John Bonham's son playing drums for the Wilson sisters (HEART) cover of Stairway to Heaven. In the video you can see the emotion in the remaining members of this iconic group - it was a symbolic heart touching moment.

I don't know if Deacon would play one of his dad's songs but it wouldn't surprise me he did given he has performed with his dad in the past and I think the remaining Eagles would be as touched as the Led Zeppelin band members and family were. Losing John Bonham was the end of the band. They loved and still love him dearly.

Freypower
06-07-2016, 07:50 PM
Led Zeppelin broke up in 1980 after the death of their drummer John Bonham.

They were honored by the Kennedy Center in 2012 - with John Bonham's son playing drums for the Wilson sisters (HEART) cover of Stairway to Heaven. In the video you can see the emotion in the remaining members of this iconic group - it was a symbolic heart touching moment.

I don't know if Deacon would play one of his dad's songs but it wouldn't surprise me he did given he has performed with his dad in the past and I think the remaining Eagles would be as touched as the Led Zeppelin band members and family were. Losing John Bonham was the end of the band. They loved and still love him dearly.

Jason Bonham was an established musician in his own right. Deacon Frey is not, not yet, anyway. He is not known to anyone except his father's fans.

travlnman2
06-07-2016, 09:04 PM
I definitely think Bernie will be there. Randy I don't think so. Felder Absolutely not. B

Freypower
06-07-2016, 10:32 PM
I definitely think Bernie will be there. Randy I don't think so. Felder Absolutely not. B

You are assuming that IF this goes ahead, they are going to change the honorees to include the former members. We don't know that. Originally they included the last four members of the then current lineup. They can't honour the last lineup now so why they would go back & include the former members, I don't know.

Perhaps they should only give it to Don Henley if they are going to persist with it.

travlnman2
06-08-2016, 09:08 AM
You are assuming that IF this goes ahead, they are going to change the honorees to include the former members. We don't know that. Originally they included the last four members of the then current lineup. They can't honour the last lineup now so why they would go back & include the former members, I don't know.

Perhaps they should only give it to Don Henley if they are going to persist with it.

Your right I guess I should add that part in.

I like you freypower. I know how you feel about this and I want you just to Take It Easy. :) One thing u guys have taught me was that Glenn and Henley were completly allowed to get rid of Felder it is like how Slash and Duff Mckagen did a whole PR spin to try to ruin Axl Roses reputation and his gnr lineup in the early 2000s. The reason I think Bernie will be there is that He is predomintly featured in the Doc and toured the entire History Of The Eagles tour. He was also on the list announcing Glenns passing and appeared on the Grammy Tribute. Also Randy said he was looking forwared to heading to the awards show. I really hope it goes through.

This board is one of the best I am apart of. Best part is hardly any fighting or bickering:grouphug:.

Brooke
06-08-2016, 09:37 AM
I hope Don, Tim, and Joe go ahead with this. They were the ones that were scheduled to be awarded along with Glenn. The others have never been mentioned as being part of it and I don't expect them to change it. They might go and be in the audience. That would be up to them, I'm sure.

As far as Deacon performing, I don't think he is well known enough, as Fp said. The performers will be well known artists.

I guess all the speculation is really wasted time. We will all know when it is announced.

Dawn
06-08-2016, 11:04 AM
I believe they will want to acknowledge the loss of Glenn Frey with a dedicated performance of one of his signature songs performed by a big name like Jackson Browne similar to the Grammy tribute - as for Deacon I don't think it matters if he's well known or not - the surviving band members know who he is - he's Glenn's beloved oldest son and a talented singer/musician in his own right. That's all I'm saying. Bottom line - it's going to be an emotional evening for the surviving band members - Glenn's family, friends and colleagues. I'm very much looking forward to the event.

Freypower
06-08-2016, 06:32 PM
Your right I guess I should add that part in.

I like you freypower. I know how you feel about this and I want you just to Take It Easy. :) One thing u guys have taught me was that Glenn and Henley were completly allowed to get rid of Felder it is like how Slash and Duff Mckagen did a whole PR spin to try to ruin Axl Roses reputation and his gnr lineup in the early 2000s. The reason I think Bernie will be there is that He is predomintly featured in the Doc and toured the entire History Of The Eagles tour. He was also on the list announcing Glenns passing and appeared on the Grammy Tribute. Also Randy said he was looking forwared to heading to the awards show. I really hope it goes through.

This board is one of the best I am apart of. Best part is hardly any fighting or bickering:grouphug:.

I undersrtand what you are saying & I appreciate what you are saying to me. :-)

But the point is when the announcement was made it specifically only included the four members of the then current lineup. Bernie Leadon was not included. The KCH people determined who the honorees would be, not the Eagles.

For the same reason I assume the KCH people will decide on the performers, and they will want to get famous musicians to perform Eagles songs. This is a national event & it is to acknowledge the Eagles' cultural contribution to the US. It isn't about paying tribute to Glenn Frey in this instance.