PDA

View Full Version : Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ - July 17, 2015

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 11:42 PM
The concert is long over and surprisingly, there are virtually no tweets about it. Hopefully, those at the concert will be able to fill the gap here and soon!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-18-2015, 08:47 AM
A review!

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/life/review-eagles-history-comes-alive-in-boardwalk-hall-show/article_0fa0fc94-2d00-11e5-9a5b-a31e0c36807a.html

Roey
07-18-2015, 01:07 PM
Great concert as expected...Glenn seemed to have a bit of sniffles and retreated for tissues a few times. He had what looked like white bandages on each wrist. Maybe he always does and I never noticed. He was in great spirits and enjoyed his jokes. I love when his eyes are closed and he is totally absorbed in the performance. Don appeared to be sucking a throat lozenges when he came out. He was relaxed and smiling more than I have seen in the past. Prior to concert and at intermission, there was a video of Don announcing the September 25 release of Cass County including a list of artists who contributed. The list scrolled fast, I only caught Lucinda Williams. Don did say with a big smile "final lap of hote".

More details to post later today...

Roey
07-19-2015, 12:01 AM
A few more observations..... Initially Joe seemed less energetic than usual. His enthusiasm surged with Hotel CA which was amazing The crowd reacted with thunderous applause. Glenn reacted by pointing to Joe. Timothy's best vocal IMO was LWKUT. I didn't see the playful coin/pick toss with Crago. Bernie's performances were flawless. He was his usual relaxed self enjoying the gig.

The performances lived up to the Eagles' high standards. I enjoyed every minute and found no faults yet I sensed maybe they were a little tired.

Tried but unsuccessful finding border friends....best to pick a meeting place or send a photo before concert.

Have some funny stories to share in another post.

For all who are attending the remaining concerts...enjoy

Witchy Woman
07-19-2015, 12:02 AM
A terrific concert as always. HH texted me and reminded me not only to enjoy myself, but this would probably be the last time to see them, and to make sure to soak it all in. I was surprised and pleased with the additions of BOML and NKIT. Glenn told his plaintiff joke, and although I find it unfunny and repetitious, the way people laughed at it you would've thought it was the funniest joke on Earth. No one really laughed at the "where mother is half a word" joke during the band introductions. They played video previews of Don's album before the show and during the break, and it sounds great !! Can't wait to hear it all !! They didn't come on stage until after 8, I suspect because some deep thinker decided to let everyone in at one and herd them all like cattle towards the one escalator they have, making it a rather arduous process to get to your seat. Although they sternly reminded everyone to not use their cellphones to take pictures or record there was no one enforcing this, so I got some pics, and several people around me were recording songs on their phones.

I was outside after the concert waiting to see if I could get an outside shirt for cheap (One of them was kinda nice, with the band on the front and dates on the back) when a cop grabbed a bunch from a guy and walked over and put them on top of a trash can. Of course, everyone ran over and grabbed one, but I couldn't make it over in enough time. I'm still kinda pissed about it. Lol !!

SilverAcidRayne
07-19-2015, 04:32 AM
hey gang...

i am in Atlantic City. and i found out that the boys were here just LAST NIGHT. just my timing right? :brickwall:

i hope who ever went had an awesome time and i'm gonna read up on it tomorrow :)

VAisForEagleLovers
07-19-2015, 09:29 AM
Cynd, pictures you posted were from a Buffalo newspaper, so I assumed they were from the concert there last night. So I moved them to the Buffalo thread.

cynd1231
07-19-2015, 09:34 AM
Thanks, VA...my error. YES, they are from lastnight in Buffalo. (Haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet!)

Keith
07-19-2015, 10:03 AM
A little blue dot popped up on TM a few days ago that I couldn't resist. It was a regular priced venue seat ($179). Lower bowl, 3rd row, at the stage on Joe's side. At the show, I was in line with row 3 on the floor and had no one in front of me due to the way the section is angled. I talked about tickets and pricing with the folks around me and they had all bought Platinum seats which normally come in sets of two. I got lucky getting odd #13 on a row with 13 seats.

The Boardwalk Hall is not the typical sports arena venue. I think it was constructed in 1929. It was an interesting place to see.

I was not surprised or disappointed by another great performance. As we read and hear from time to time, they get tired of the same material, but they still deliver it to the fans with at least what appears to be a high level of enthusiasm. These guys are loved. One lady stood crying, staring at the stage, well after the band was gone.

It was great to see the ads for Cass County run before the show and at intermission. Something else to look forward to as this tour ends.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-19-2015, 10:17 AM
Keith, lucky you!!! Yes, when VIP and Platinum seats don't sell out, they release them as face value seats, so it's always good to keep checking right up to the day of the concert.

I'm glad you were able to take in another concert and had such a good time!

Ive always been a dreamer
07-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Excellent Keith!

Thanks for all of your comments and reviews. I'm sure the guys must be tired, but they continue to deliver. Glad everyone had a great time.

Keith
07-19-2015, 02:32 PM
Joe stayed at the Econo Lodge.:laugh:

TimFan222
07-19-2015, 07:32 PM
Is this Joes car or yours? Lol

jms18222
07-19-2015, 08:20 PM
I just got home. They were amazing! Looks like Mr Frey & Henley received the memo to lay off the hair color because both were grey.
Glen wore a denim shirt over a white t shirt the first act & a greenish plaid the 2nd half. Don wore white plaid both halves. Joe had on t shirts & Tim wore a purple t shirt the 1st half and a green long sleeve shirt the 2nd. He almost matched Glenn.

Just quick notes because my kitties want attention. Glen came out the second half wearing adhesive tape on his left hand. Don seemed to be in considerable pain from his back during The Long Run. He was rubbing it during the first verse.

Post more tomorrow. Difficult to type & pet.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-19-2015, 08:25 PM
I had the same issues with kitties back when I had some! Give them some reassurance that you'll never, ever leave them alone again even for a minute, then come back and let us know your thoughts!

Keith
07-20-2015, 06:17 AM
Is this Joes car or yours? Lol
Haven't got a Maserati. My Honda does 85.;)

Houston Baby
07-20-2015, 08:16 AM
:hilarious:

Brooke
07-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Thanks for all the comments everyone! Another great evening as suspected!

Keith, how awesome that you got such a great seat at the last minute! :thumbsup:

jms18222
07-20-2015, 11:21 AM
I had the same issues with kitties back when I had some! Give them some reassurance that you'll never, ever leave them alone again even for a minute, then come back and let us know your thoughts!

I am going to leave them again in a few weeks to see the Pirate?Dodger game & again to see Mr Henley in Philly.

I do have a few pictures to post too. Friday night brought me back to 1977 & sitting on my boyfriend Benny shoulders...sigh!

FlatbedFord
07-20-2015, 06:26 PM
I went to the show and had a blast. I sat closer than I had ever sat before for an Eagles concert and was able to catch so many things I had never noticed. A few things I noticed during the show:

- The stage arrangement was less "grand" than past shows. There was a projection screen, but it wasn't the normal gigantic 3D one with all the panels. There was no curtain in the beginning of the show hiding the screen and all of the band equipment was already setup and in place before the show (as opposed to the usual big reveal / set change in between Witchy Woman and Doolin-Dalton). It was also a lot easier to see them entering and leaving the stage.
- The venue (Boardwalk Hall) is designed as a hybrid arena/theatre, so there's already a stage. I thought it was funny that the Eagles brought in their own stage and built it right in front of the preexisting one.
- During Saturday Night, Steuart Smith and (I think it was) Michael Thompson were dimly lit in the back of the stage playing a mandolin and accordion (respectively). This solves the "is it there / is is live or piped / then who's playing it" questions about that part of the show.
- Arena staff were very proactive and strict about making sure people weren't taking photos, even before the show began. They loosened up after the intermission and, by the encores, didn't really stop anyone.
- It was refreshing to hear some new jokes, such as the "so drink up" bit in the beginning.
- Don and Glenn both seemed to be in very good spirits and very good voice that night. Joe and Timothy both seemed slightly off and distant during the first 60% of the show. Joe got more energetic as the show went on and was on fire by the time HC came around.
- Glenn did a very rare ad-lib during Lyin' Eyes. After "A rich old man, and she won't have to worry", he muttered "sometimes" into the mic. I don't know if many people heard it, but it made me laugh.
- NKIT was spectacular to hear live. Glenn nailed the note at the end, although it may have been hard to hear over the chorus of harmonies.
- I love the moment Glenn and Don have during TLR when he sings "kind of bent, but we ain't breaking".

Overall, I have to say it was BY FAR my best time at an Eagles concert.

jms18222
07-20-2015, 07:40 PM
I heard the "sometimes" part too. I agree Tim & Joe seemed to almost phone in the 1st set. Joe came alive in the 2nd set. He played better than I have ever heard him. The place was hotter than hot.

GlennLover
07-20-2015, 09:38 PM
I heard the "sometimes" part too. I agree Tim & Joe seemed to almost phone in the 1st set. Joe came alive in the 2nd set. He played better than I have ever heard him. The place was hotter than hot.

LOL, he's changing it up a bit. He used to say "much" instead of "sometimes.

Roey
07-20-2015, 10:01 PM
I heard the "sometimes", funny, Glenn thought so too. Wonder if he has someone in mind !

Originally I said Joe seemed less energetic but the thought that first went thru my head at the concert was that he looked sad. His performance of HC was so strong and passionate, it was like he was trying to prove a point. Then my imagination took over. The Kennedy Center Awards were announced 2 days earlier. Was Joe sad that his friend Don Felder would not be part of the honors? Was his HC performance a tip of his hat to DF? I am not a great writer by any means but I am a good story teller. This is just my imagination.

Brooke
07-21-2015, 08:52 AM
flatbedford, thanks for you review! Another awesome night by our guys!

At shows I've been to I've noticed Joe just standing there holding his guitar and staring in to space. I guess if there nothing for him to play that's all there is to do. At the show years ago that I was on the front row in front of him, I caught his eye and smiled at him and he smiled back! It seems kind of weird for him to have nothing to do during some of the early songs.

jms18222
07-21-2015, 11:40 AM
I have a few minutes before I actually have to get some actual work accomplished. I was able to take a few pictures but in all honesty all I really wanted to do was just enjoy listening & watching these guys play.
We were told over & over no standing & no pictures/video but people did what they wanted & no one stopped them.
Show started late which was expected. I think there were some people who were having issues with their tickets. It did seem most of the issues were the ones who has them on their phone but it did hold up the lines. It was hot...very hot in Boardwalk Hall. They were selling the Greatest Hits cd with all proceeds being split between the Shriners & Walden Pond. I also wanted to get a t-shirt but you just could not get near the tables before the show & they were packed up by the time the show was over. People were selling counterfit -shirts outside the arena before & after the show but the police were out there seizing the fakes so I ended up without a shirt.
I had perfet seats too, 19th row infloor 2 right front & center.

The 2 spotlights lit up with Glen & Don facing each other on the side of the stage, they walked to teh center & did their fist bump. Most people around me did not know SN or Train Leaves Here & did not reconigize Bernie at all. When Tim was brought out for Witchy Woman Glen just stated that they took Tim from a band called Poco. Other than Randy being mentioned as being the singer of TITTL it was as if he never existed in the band, no mention of his recent health issues at all. Then again it really is none of our business. Not 1 word about Felder at all. I got the impression that most of the people around me only knew the Eagles from their hits because no one knew Doolin Daltons/Desparado reprise, thought it was new material & Cass County was the new Eagles album. I could have imagined what they would have thought if Hollywood Waltz or After The Thrill were played! Everyone did sing along...to the BIG hits. They ended the first half with TITTL by saying they needed to set-up for the 2nd set & all had to go pee. There were people who left thinking that was it! I got the impression that Tim & Joe were phoning in the 1st half. I wasn't the only one. Tim did look frail but I guess 2 1/2 years of tiuring can do that to a person.
2nd half kicked off strong with Joe & Tim and then went into Heatache. Glen said now you can act all crazy now. He did come out with an adhesive bandage covering the palm of his left hand. I actually got most of the people infront of me to sit down for a bit. I did mention to the rather tall guy infront of me that I postpones having heart surgery to be able to see this show so he sat down & had a few others in front sit as well. I wasn't lying about the surgery but it isn't a major big thing but needs to be done soon . I really would have just swapped seats with him!
No one around me was expecting this to be a 3+ hour show now were they expecting 4 encores!
THE GOOD: Steuart Smith IMPO played as well if not better than Felder. While our guys are older & their voices have grown grittier, I think they sounded so much better than they did when I saw them in 1977 & during HFO. There are layers & richness that just were not there before. You noticed it so much in their harmonies. Glen & Don only got better. Joe Walsh...AMAZING! Tim was just really quiet.

THE BAD: It was TOO DANG HOT in the venue. I am also really disappointed they just never acknowledged Long Road. Correct me if I am wrong but that was a hit album & has the best song Henley ever wrote. People around me did nt even know about Long Road so maybe that is why. Lot of advertising for Cass County. People were assuming it was a new Eagles album.

THE UGLY:I wish they spoke more off the cuff rather than the being so scripted. Let's face it we have all seen videos of this show on youtube so we know the drill. Are they still so afraid of insulting each other? I mean geeze these guys are closing in on 70 & this is probably it for them so let it all just go & have fun!

THE WEIRD: Glen & Don, don't even attempt to try a dance move. The interaction between Don & Joe during Long Run. They both kind of missed their cue during the "debuantes in Houston" part & it looked strange. They fist bumped after the song ended.

They all just looked like they knew this was going to be the last run for them as a band. It was the best weekend I have had in a very long time.

Freypower
07-21-2015, 05:45 PM
I heard the "sometimes", funny, Glenn thought so too. Wonder if he has someone in mind !

Originally I said Joe seemed less energetic but the thought that first went thru my head at the concert was that he looked sad. His performance of HC was so strong and passionate, it was like he was trying to prove a point. Then my imagination took over. The Kennedy Center Awards were announced 2 days earlier. Was Joe sad that his friend Don Felder would not be part of the honors? Was his HC performance a tip of his hat to DF? I am not a great writer by any means but I am a good story teller. This is just my imagination.

When was the last time Joe & Felder actually saw each other? Is the word 'friend' appropriate after 14 years?

You may be right, but it isn't something that would have occurred to me if I'd been there. Joe like all the current members has presumably moved on from that period.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-21-2015, 10:18 PM
Thanks again to everyone for the reviews and comments!

WalshFan88
07-28-2015, 07:52 PM
HC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJnJZvjgic

LBG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJ0U_bMEXA