PDA

View Full Version : Eagles at CenturyLink Center, Bossier City, LA - 7/29/2015

VAisForEagleLovers
07-29-2015, 10:34 PM
I had to post this tweet, it made me laugh!

My dad just text me & told me there's a bunch of old ppl at the Eagles concert. Clearly he doesn't realize he's old 😂

cynd1231
07-29-2015, 10:45 PM
Best laugh I've had all day! What that gal doesn't realize that when it comes to the Eagles, everyone is young at heart, including the boys in the band!

AlreadyGone95
07-29-2015, 11:08 PM
As a young person myself, I don't know whether or not it's right that I laughed really hard at that tweet. Imo, if the dad is enjoying himself, that's all that matters!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-30-2015, 12:56 AM
Lots and lots of tweets about it being the best concert ever. Of course, that's typical, but it's always good to know that our guys put on yet another fantastic concert. Hopefully a review will pop up soon.

zeldabjr
07-30-2015, 02:08 AM
Is that why we love them so? they make all of us feel young!!!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-30-2015, 07:59 AM
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/HOTE/bossier%20city/1_zpscrnfkxuw.jpg

cynd1231
07-30-2015, 09:30 AM
Thanks for finding the picture, VA. But it makes me want to cry because right now, to the best of our knowledge, that may have been the final bows. :cry:

Brooke
07-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Love the tweet! And the pic! Thanks VA!

Yes, it's bittersweet. I hope they return sometime, somewhere! :heart:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Exactly why I posted it! It is depressing. As I put on Jack Tempchin's Facebook post, if people missed seeing a show on this tour, they missed the best concert they'd ever go to. I know some here don't agree with that, but the majority do. It included Bernie, it was well thought out and well executed. The songs were laid out in the order they were to go with the theme of the tour. The guitars were phenomenal, the harmonies outstanding, and both were showcased brilliantly. Perhaps best of all, in today's tendency in touring, they didn't try to be something they're not. They took what they do best and made it better.

Brooke
07-30-2015, 10:09 AM
Well, I'm just a bit disgusted that they didn't have any half-naked dancers along this time! What were they thinking?!

:eyebrow: :hilarious:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-30-2015, 10:30 AM
Well, I'm just a bit disgusted that they didn't have any half-naked dancers along this time! What were they thinking?!

:hilarious: :hilarious:

UndertheWire
07-30-2015, 10:32 AM

They could have at least had "Eagles Greatest Tits" as a background.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-30-2015, 11:09 AM
They could have at least had "Eagles Greatest Tits" as a background.

I thought, briefly, about giving them new footage for that at a concert or two on this tour. However, I am 53 years old and I wasn't sure the cameras would get a picture at knee level. :(

VAisForEagleLovers
07-30-2015, 11:31 AM
An interesting listen to some people who called into a radio station this morning to give their take on the concert last night. Hint: when you get to the bank commercial at the end, you can stop listening.

https://soundcloud.com/thetimfletchershow/tim-talks-more-eagles-concert-in-shreveport-bossier

AlreadyGone95
07-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Knowing that last night could have been the final concert,(not just for this tour, but *gulp* forever) I'm really kicking myself for not noticing the band more before these past few months. I'll just console myself with a F1 viewing in a little bit.

As for the naked dancer thing, I have no comment. :hilarious:. I know that I wouldn't volunteer!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-30-2015, 01:10 PM
None of them have alluded to this being the end of the Eagles, just the end of this tour. On the other hand, they haven't said they'll continue to do shows, either. They always plan things out a year at a time, and I imagine a break is called for, not even considering Don needing to promote Cass County. We'll see what they come up with in a few months later in the year or into next year.

AlreadyGone95
07-30-2015, 01:43 PM
None of them have alluded to this being the end of the Eagles, just the end of this tour. On the other hand, they haven't said they'll continue to do shows, either. They always plan things out a year at a time, and I imagine a break is called for, not even considering Don needing to promote Cass County. We'll see what they come up with in a few months later in the year or into next year.

I should have said "possibly" instead of "could have been". Since both Don and Joe have already announced tours from September/October, I have a feeling that it'll be 2016 before we hear anything about the band's next move.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-31-2015, 12:33 PM
A review!

http://www.98rocks.fm/2015/07/30/the-eagles-show-was-amazeballz/

Like this line:

After the show last night, it is so apparent why they are still successful and relevant… because they make phenomenal music!!!

AlreadyGone95
07-31-2015, 01:08 PM
Great review. I think that the whole last paragraph sums up everything well.

After 4 decades, these guys can still put on an amazing show. The harmonies were sung to perfection, the guitar solos were blazing and they kept us entertained for a solid 3 hours. It will most definitely go down as one of the greatest shows to have come through the Centurylink Center. The Eagles defined the sound of the 70’s, and you can hear their vast influence on musicians still. After the show last night, it is so apparent why they arestill*successful and relevant… because they make phenomenal music!!! As Glenn Frey said last night, “We’re not bad for a bunch of guys in our forties!”

Is Glenn's joke there old or new? That's the first time I've heard of it.

Brooke
07-31-2015, 01:20 PM
Wonderful review!

Thanks VA! I appreciate you always being on top of these and getting them here! Well done! :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-31-2015, 02:07 PM
No problem, Brooke!

AG95, it's a joke he started using on these last two tour legs, I think. Definitely this last one.

all eagles
07-31-2015, 03:58 PM
The review pretty much says it all. Don seemed relieved/happy the tour was ending. Once again, I left the show thinking how underrated Steuart is as a guitarist

VAisForEagleLovers
07-31-2015, 05:05 PM
Another review.

http://kkyr.com/the-eagles-live-in-concert-a-life-experience-for-jim-weaver/?trackback=twitter_top

Yeah I’m calling it a “life experience.” Maybe not up to the importance of a marriage or death or birth, but it’s one concert out of Lord knows how many forgettable concerts. Only this is one that I will never forget.

sjaros3
08-02-2015, 11:35 AM
I attended the Bossier City show. Longtime fan, as the Eagles music was a big part of the soundtrack to my teenage years in the late 70s. But I had never seen the Eagles in concert before and thought this might literally be a last chance, so I made the 4 hour drive up from Baton Rouge to catch the show.

Man was I glad I did! This concert was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I was literally in the upper-most, nose-bleed row, but it didn't matter as the CenturyTel center is smallish so I could still see everything. It really was a "History" lesson, as GF and DH continuously bantered with us about the origins of the band and songs. And on a more local note, DH apparently grew up in northeast Texas, very close to Shreveport/Bossier, and made several references to family and friends living in the area, which of course went over really well.

As for the performances, IMO the Eagles were on top of their game. Everyone's voice sounded great, a concern of mine given this was the last show on a long tour. The energy level was high, the guys seemed to be glad to be here even though Bossier City is not exactly a high-profile destination.

Standouts included "Take it to the Limit", in which I thought Frey did a great job covering RM's vocals. Frey tipped his hat to Meisner before the song, mentioning that he couldn't be with the band to sing it because of illness and wishing him well. That was nice, given the acrimony that had apparently once existed between them about that. "Witchy Woman" was also another exceptional number. DH switched to the drums for this song and his playing gave this song a nice, thick undertone.

Perhaps my favorite performance was "New Kid in Town". This song has always scared and fascinated me. I remember hearing it as a 13-year old in 1977, and its haunting vocals and melancholy melody struck fear in my pubescent self. The idea of a new kid showing up on your block and taking away your girls or your status was a primal one for me and i still experience the song the same way as a 50-something. They hit all the right notes musically and vocally. I also was glad to hear "Those Shoes", a personal favorite of mine, even though it wasn't a huge hit.

I also loved the "Joe Walsh" sequence of Life in the Fast Lane, Funk #49, and In the City. Walsh added just the right amount of country-fried hard rock to the show, just as he added to the records when he joined back in the day. Frey and Henley were happy to let him take over and his antics and charisma were a big hit with the down-home north-Louisiana crowd.

These were just the highlights. The show was outstanding start to finish, there were no bad parts.

And for the encore, Hotel California was picture-perfect. I don't know who handled Don Felder's solo but they perfectly meshed with Walsh's part, you never would have guessed that Felder wasn't playing.

By this point it was 11 PM, and I had 255 miles of interstate between myself and home, so I had originally decided to leave after HC and skip the rest of the encore to beat the crowd out of the door, but the show was so good I stuck around for Take it Easy, Rocky Mountain Way, and Desperado. Didn't make it home to Baton Rouge until almost 5 AM, but it was worth it.

PS - here's a picture of me with a t-shirt before the show started. Was very lucky to get one. I wear a 2XL and the crush of people trying to buy shirts at the sold-out show was overwhelming inside the arena. I was wise to get mine at a booth outdoors that everyone ignored, LOL, because inside the 2XLs in all the shirts sold out quick.

http://http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/stephenj222/received_10207397279314663.jpeg (http://s155.photobucket.com/user/stephenj222/media/received_10207397279314663.jpeg.html)

VAisForEagleLovers
08-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Wow, you seriously had nose-bleed seats!! I just can't enjoy a show from up there because I'm terrified of heights. I suppose if one band could make me forget that fear, it's the Eagles!

I'm so glad you had such a good time, and that the show was so good. Having been to a few of their shows myself, it's always enjoyable to read the responses of those who've seen it for the first time.

I find it completely amazing, but not surprising, that they've been able to string together two years' worth of shows and and deliver each one perfectly. That's amazing for a group of 20-year-olds. Even 40-year-old seasoned professionals.

Welcome to The Border, sjaros3!!

AlreadyGone95
08-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Hey, nosebleed seats are better than not seeing the band! (Which I'll probably never will see them). Glad that you had a great time and that the show was well worth the trip! Cool shirt, and of course, Welcome to The Border!

Ive always been a dreamer
08-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the review, sjaros3. I agree with VA that it is so fun reading posts from new members of the board and real fans of the band rather than critics who do this for a living. Of course, as many of us here know, just because it's their job, doesn't necessarily compel these hired hands to get it right.

Anyway, welcome to The Border from me too. I'm so glad you loved the show and that seeing this incredible band was worth all of the effort you went through. On a personal note, I've made a few trips myself to see them. :thumbsup:

And BTW, the guy that plays Felder's parts now is the amazingly talented, Steuart Smith from my home state, (Arlington) VA. Hope you enjoy it here on The Border.

all eagles
08-02-2015, 03:26 PM
[
And BTW, the guy that plays Felder's parts now is the amazingly talented, Steuart Smith.

You are so correct about his talent

QueenofHearts
08-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Hi! I'm new to the boards. I went to the Bossier City concert and it was a great experience. I live more than two hours away in Southwest Arkansas. Bossier is actually closer to me than Little Rock. It was my third Eagles concert but first time with floor seats. It was an amazing show and the band showed a lot of energy for it to be the last stop on the tour. Lots of East Texans in the crowd because of the Henley connection.:)
The highlights for me were hearing "Desperado Reprise" and "Train leaves here this morning" because I love that era. But all of the songs sounded great and the "history" lesson made it seem like an intimate show for such a large venue.
Didn't get home until 3 a.m. but it was worth it.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Thank you, Queen of Hearts!! Welcome to The Border!! Love to hear your comments.

QueenofHearts
08-02-2015, 04:28 PM
Thanks! I realized the other day all my Eagle concerts have been in July.
Hell Freezes Over-July 3, 1994, Dallas
Long Road out of Eden-July 1, 2010, Little Rock
HOTE-July 29, 2015,Bossier City

sjaros3
08-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the review, sjaros3. I agree with VA that it is so fun reading posts from new members of the board and real fans of the band rather than critics who do this for a living. Of course, as many of us here know, just because it's their job, doesn't necessarily compel these hired hands to get it right.

Anyway, welcome to The Border from me too. I'm so glad you loved the show and that seeing this incredible band was worth all of the effort you went through. On a personal note, I've made a few trips myself to see them. :thumbsup:

And BTW, the guy that plays Felder's parts now is the amazingly talented, Steuart Smith from my home state, (Arlington) VA. Hope you enjoy it here on The Border.

Thanks "dreamer" for telling me about Stew Smith, he really is a great guitarist.

And FWIW, VA is my home state too, was born in Newport News. :)

sjaros3
08-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Hi! I'm new to the boards. I went to the Bossier City concert and it was a great experience. I live more than two hours away in Southwest Arkansas. Bossier is actually closer to me than Little Rock. It was my third Eagles concert but first time with floor seats. It was an amazing show and the band showed a lot of energy for it to be the last stop on the tour. Lots of East Texans in the crowd because of the Henley connection.:)
The highlights for me were hearing "Desperado Reprise" and "Train leaves here this morning" because I love that era. But all of the songs sounded great and the "history" lesson made it seem like an intimate show for such a large venue.
Didn't get home until 3 a.m. but it was worth it.

Wow! You and I had very different vantage points, as I was in nosebleed heaven, LOL. Glad you got to see the Eagles from the floor, I am jealous, though I enjoyed my seats as well.

Like you, I also had a long drive to see the concert (but from the opposite direction). Wasn't it worth it? The entire performance was outstanding. I was also very happy that they did a fuller reprise of Desperado in the encore, that has always been a favorite of mine as well.

QueenofHearts
08-03-2015, 03:00 PM
My very first Eagles concert (Hell Freezes Over) was in extreme nosebleed seats at Texas Stadium. But I wanted to be there anyway. I guess that's what we do to hear the bands we love!

sjaros3
08-05-2015, 07:43 PM
My very first Eagles concert (Hell Freezes Over) was in extreme nosebleed seats at Texas Stadium. But I wanted to be there anyway. I guess that's what we do to hear the bands we love!

No question! My seats were just fine, thoroughly enjoyed the show!

PS - the air conditioning was NOT an issue at this concert. I entered the building at around 7 PM, an hour before it started, and the building was nice and cold, and stayed that way through the entire show.

Guess the fact that the outside temperature was 101 degrees caused saner heads to prevail over the "no AC" or limited AC policy the band prefers.

sodascouts
06-18-2016, 12:05 PM
I just want to put this review by J. Weaver linked earlier by VA here in its entirety before it's gone like the other review.

"On a rare occasion you do get the chance to attend a lifelong dream of a concert and for me the Eagles was “that” concert. Researchers say that lifelong musical attachments are made in our early teen years. Well, in my early teens the Eagles were weaving musical gold, great songs with five-part harmonies, the stuff a young musician’s dreams were made of. Not only was the material fun to play and in most cases relatively easy to learn, but if you played it well enough, it might just get you… lucky!

The Eagles were such a major influence on me and my lifelong musical tastes that I was really kind of bummed that I might not ever get the chance to see them in concert. Something always seemed to get in the way, work, home, money, life in general. It seems I was doomed to never get to see that band while it still had most of the original members — until Wednesday night in Bossier City at the Century-Tel Center.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/eaglesBC2015-02.jpg

Glenn Frey narrated the whole show and told the story of the Eagles, where everyone was from, bands they had been in before the Eagles, inspirations for different songs and more. It was awesome!

I was a little surprised at how many original Joe Walsh songs they played including “Funk 49″ from the James Gang, “Life’s Been Good” and then “Rocky Mountain Way” for one of the encore songs. Myself and the rest of the crowd loved it though, it was like two concerts in one.

Have I seen better concerts? Technically, yes. Better light shows? Definitely. Better musicianship? Yep. Better harmonies? Maybe. But very few concerts can I actually call a “life experience.” I have anticipated this show in my head for many years and to finally see it in person was a big check off my bucket list.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/eaglesBC2015-01.jpg

Thank you local boy Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmit, Joe Walsh and Bernie Leadon, and even though they weren’t on this tour Don Felder and Randy Meisner have all contributed to the greatness that was and still is the Eagles.

Yeah I’m calling it a “life experience.” Maybe not up to the importance of a marriage or death or birth, but it’s one concert out of Lord knows how many forgettable concerts. Only this is one that I will never forget."

Eagles7
06-18-2016, 03:31 PM
Excellent review..happy his dream was realized. Also loved his props to Felder and Randy!

sodascouts
08-01-2017, 04:45 PM
As the anniversary of this passed recently, all I could think of was how much I wish I could have been there to see this last show. Two years gone by... hard to believe.

New Kid In Town
08-01-2017, 04:57 PM
WOW - Reading all these wonderful reviews and comments brings tears to my eyes. How I wish I had been able to be there. So happy for those who were there and got to experience such a wonderful concert.

sjaros3 & QOH - Welcome ! It is so nice to have you here !

shunlvswx
08-01-2017, 04:59 PM
Me too, Soda. But for me. It was during the week and I didn't want to drive to Bossier City. I should had made myself go. Heck I should had went when they were in Memphis and New Orleans, but I thought they'll be back next year. Boy was I wrong. They kept saying this could be our last tour, but I knew they always said that and they would be back. But I don't think they thought it went abruptly because of Glenn's death 6 months later. I don't think no one saw that coming.

New Kid In Town
08-01-2017, 05:14 PM
Shun - Don't beat yourself up over this. None of us had any way of knowing this would be the last concert with Glenn. As I said, I had so wanted to go to the HOTE concert at the Garden or AC. However, money was tight at that time, the tickets were mucho expensive, and my sister and BIL who I was going to go with had just been laid off from their jobs. Sometimes life just gets in the way of things.

sodascouts
08-01-2017, 05:26 PM
I was in South Africa on a mission trip. Otherwise I would have been there. I have this thing about seeing the last shows of tours if possible for exactly the reason that it might be the last one. This was driveable, so I definitely would have gone if I'd been in the USA.

I went on the mission trip instead. I told myself that of course a mission trip was more important than another Eagles concert and surely it wouldn't really be the last show...

It wasn't meant to be that I attend for some reason. I don't know why.

Dawn
08-01-2017, 05:26 PM
I love how the reviewer gives props to Don Felder and Randy Meisner. Very classy thing to do.

shunlvswx
08-01-2017, 05:34 PM
I was in South Africa on a mission trip. Otherwise I would have been there. I have this thing about seeing the last shows of tours if possible for exactly the reason that it might be the last one. This was driveable, so I definitely would have gone if I'd been in the USA.

I went on the mission trip instead. I told myself that of course a mission trip was more important than another Eagles concert and surely it wouldn't really be the last show...

It wasn't meant to be that I attend for some reason. I don't know why.

I remembered your trip to South Africa. Soda. I should had went with your offer when you were going to New Orleans since you were going to pass my city going to New Orleans. I couldn't go because I didn't have the money and I think the New Orleans show was either a weekday or a Sunday. I couldn't remembered. I remembered you told me you had to go to work the next day. I am glad I did get to go to Joe's concert with you even though we were in different section.

shunlvswx
08-01-2017, 05:37 PM
Shun - Don't beat yourself up over this. None of us had any way of knowing this would be the last concert with Glenn. As I said, I had so wanted to go to the HOTE concert at the Garden or AC. However, money was tight at that time, the tickets were mucho expensive, and my sister and BIL who I was going to go with had just been laid off from their jobs. Sometimes life just gets in the way of things.

I did at the beginning when Glenn died. I was beating myself since I had so many chances to see them, but I couldn't go because I either didn't have the money(which I didn't) or the show were on a weekday. I was just a year too late since I was going to try to see them the following year. I wanted to see Don and the Eagles the following year.

sodascouts
08-01-2017, 05:39 PM
Yes, I wish you had been able to come with me to New Orleans, too, shun! We would have had a good time together! But I guess that wasn't meant to be, either.

I'm glad we had a few people here who went to Bossier City. I'm glad we have their memories and reviews.

shunlvswx
08-01-2017, 06:23 PM
Yes, I wish you had been able to come with me to New Orleans, too, shun! We would have had a good time together! But I guess that wasn't meant to be, either.

I'm glad we had a few people here who went to Bossier City. I'm glad we have their memories and reviews.

But we made up with the trip to see Joe in Memphis. I'm glad for that trip. I need to come visit you soon now that I'm back driving.