PDA

View Full Version : Timmothy Vs Randy

travlnman2
09-13-2015, 10:47 AM
Which bassist do you prefer in the Eagles Timothy or Randy?

Ive always been a dreamer
09-13-2015, 12:29 PM
First of all, tm2 - I hope you don't mind, but I corrected the spelling of Timothy's name in the poll. It's kind of a sore spot around here with some of his fans to see his name misspelled so often. :thumbsup:

And TBH, I can't really choose a favorite. I think both of them brought their own specific talents to the band. As Timothy himself said in his R&R HOF acceptance speech, Randy was with the band in the trenches and contributed a lot in the early years. However, it seems obvious to me that Timothy's personality and talents were better suited to go the distance with the band in the long run (pun intended).

AlreadyGone95
09-13-2015, 12:40 PM
I'm with Dreamer on this. I honestly can't choose. Both are immensely talented, and have contributed alot to the band during their tenure. Song wise and vocally, I lean more toward Randy, but I still love Tim. I can't judge their bass playing much because I can't play. Personality- wise, both seem to warm, kind, sweet, and gentle.

So, again, I can't choose.

travlnman2
09-13-2015, 04:17 PM
I agree with you guys but I think it is disrespectful to Randyr to not be included in the Kennedy center honors based on his contributions

Ive always been a dreamer
09-13-2015, 04:32 PM
tm2 - The Kennedy Center solely decides who their honorees are whether we agree with their choices or not. There is another thread on the board with an extensive discussion about the band being honored, which also includes comments regarding the exclusion of the band's former members. Here is the link to that thread if you are interested in commenting further ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5783

travlnman2
09-13-2015, 04:50 PM
tm2 - The Kennedy Center solely decides who their honorees are whether we agree with their choices or not. There is another thread on the board with an extensive discussion about the band being honored, which also includes comments regarding the exclusion of the band's former members. Here is the link to that thread if you are interested in commenting further ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5783

Thanks guys for your help . I have conflicting opinions but as i read more it will clear things up

chaim
09-14-2015, 04:55 AM
I'm a Randy guy. I love his voice. I love a lot of his Eagles songs. As for bass playing, I can't decide. Both of them do/did their job perfectly.

Brooke
09-14-2015, 09:59 AM
I can't vote here either and agree with what dreamer and AG already said. They both brought their own magic to the band!

NOLA
09-14-2015, 11:54 AM
Count me in with the rest of the Borderers who do not wish to make a choice.
Both Randy and Timothy are legendary bassists who have each made their own distinct mark on the Eagles' musical legacy.

WalshFan88
09-14-2015, 10:06 PM
Neither. And by that I mean, I'm not making a choice.

I really love the later years of the band with Walsh on board, so there was two 70s records, one with each player. I don't have a favorite. I love what Randy did, I love what Tim did and still does. I can't see Tim singing TITTL, and I can't see Randy singing ICTYW.

GlennLover
09-14-2015, 10:45 PM
I'm another one who can't choose between the two. Each have made very valuable contributions to the band.

sodascouts
09-14-2015, 11:58 PM
Same here - they're both immensely talented and important contributors to the band.

chaim
09-15-2015, 05:13 AM
So far five people have voted for Randy and four for Timothy. On the other hand all the comments, except mine, basically say "I won't choose one of them". :headscratch:

I have nothing against Timothy, but I can't help feeling that Randy sounded so great to me in the Eagles that probably anyone would have sounded a bit lame in comparison. I do remember that it took me a while to get used to Timothy's voice when I heard ICTYW as a teenager. I love Timothy's personality. My "judgement" is strictly musical. Well, it has nothing to do with bass playing even, like I said. I just love Randy's voice a lot more in the Eagles context.

It's possible though that the fact that Randy's on most of the studio recordings has a lot to do with how I feel. I like to listen to studio albums more than live stuff. If they had done more studio stuff with Timothy and I had gotten used to hearing Timothy in their recorded output, I'd probably feel slightly differently.

Funk 50
09-15-2015, 05:38 AM
After the initial promise of I Can't Tell You Why, I've been very disappointed with Tim's contributions to the Eagles. I'd say he's the better bass guitar player but I much prefer Randy's vocals, including the combined, Henley, Frey Meisner, harmonies.

Maybe if they had given Randy the respect he deserved, at the beginning of their career, Poco may have achieved the success they desired.

UndertheWire
09-15-2015, 07:00 AM
I can't judge on the bass playing but for vocals, I'm mixed. I prefer Timothy as a lead vocalist but for background and harmony, Randy's voice is distinctive and adds an "edge" that I like. Timothy's voice blends very well with Glenn's and I believe he offers a lot of support to Glenn's lead vocals without making it obvious. If I was forced to choose, I'd go with Randy because he was part of the original sound that attracted me.

travlnman2
09-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Can you edit the poll? I would like to change it and add the option as both.

MaryCalifornia
09-15-2015, 10:25 PM
Well, no surprise who I prefer, but my preference is not based on singing ability or bass playing - both guys are good at both.

I just think Timothy is ridiculously good looking with the long hair and I am completely entranced by him.

But more importantly, I think his professional story is so special. The only time he left a band (not including high school) was to go to the Eagles. He stuck with Poco for years and years on the road. He played jobs for years that were "below him" in the '80s just to keep going. He has managed to stay with the Eagles for over 20 years post-HFO. He is not a quitter, and he has been royally rewarded, which rarely happens in life. I imagine that there have been hundreds of instances over the years where he felt that he wasn't afforded the respect he was due from his bandmates, but he chose to subsume his ego and accept his role, and boy, did it pay off. He has navigated the shark-infested waters for 50 years, based on talent, professionalism, savvy politics and personality. That's what impresses me the most about Timothy.

LuvTim
09-15-2015, 10:52 PM
Well, obviously, I luv Tim.... but MC explained it better than I ever could.Having said that, I love Randy, too, very much.

Funk 50
09-16-2015, 05:15 AM
Can you edit the poll? I would like to change it and add the option as both.

I love it travyinman2. :thumbsup: I've read that sentence, dozens and dozens of times and I'm still no nearer understanding it, than I was,the first time I read it. Genius :hilarious:

Roey
09-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Well said MC. Both are talented but Timothy seems to have an even temperament ,patience and kindness. Add his looks and sensuality and he has my vote. I like Randy and appreciate his incredible voice but Timothy is the whole package.

OntheBorder74
09-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Wow did not predict that, I'm a Randy fan but Timothy has been a fixture in the Eagles for over 20 years now. Solid as a Rock!

rcknalwys
09-18-2015, 07:32 PM
Love Randy and take nothing from him, but definitely agree, Timothy is the whole package. Do however believe all the members should be honored for their contributions.

maryc2130
09-18-2015, 07:39 PM
I love them both, but as a singer, I like Timothy a little better. Randy has a great voice, a little stronger than Tim's, I think, and he was incredibly awesome at hitting those high notes. Still, I like the way Timothy's voice melds with the other band members, where I think Randy's is sometimes a little too strong on some of the harmonies, and it's more difficult to hear the other's voices. Just MHO!

DJ
09-19-2015, 09:49 PM
I do enjoy both players very much. But I prefer Randy's style of bass a bit better than timothy's. I like how Randy could really rock the bass when the time was right and it just came so very easy to a self taught musician as he is. Both made enormous contributions to the band.:thumbsup:

NightMistBlue
09-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Both gentlemen and world-class musicians. All one can say is that the Eagles have superior taste in bass players: they've had the very best.