PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Stills Quote

OntheBorder74
10-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Hi, after watching the History of the Eagles again I was curious if anyone here can find the quote that Glenn attributes Stephen Stills something along the line of
Stephen Stills was asked what he thought of the Eagles and he said "they just wanted to be us!"

Would love to know here's opinion of the Eagles who followed after CSN I know Crosby called them boring and not taking risks. Though if he heard their versions of Tryin where they do that great gospel ending or the blues intro to Witchy Woman he wouldn't say that.

Let me know if you can find it or maybe it wasn't ever published

NightMistBlue
10-07-2015, 01:08 PM
I thought Glenn attributed that quote to Crosby? It *sounds* like something David Crosby would say.

DJ
10-07-2015, 01:42 PM
I just remember Glenn saying one of those two said that. I believe like anything they were probably a little jealous that these new guys were so good at what they were putting out. Because CSN were more 60's tyoe "hippie,peace and love music. Although I listened to them a lot when I was younger. I still believe Our House and Teach Your Children and many more songs resonate through the years. The Eagles were nothing like the music they were playing in my opinion. Except maybe harmonies were exceptional in both bands.

OntheBorder74
10-08-2015, 05:45 AM
I just remember Glenn saying one of those two said that. I believe like anything they were probably a little jealous that these new guys were so good at what they were putting out. Because CSN were more 60's tyoe "hippie,peace and love music. Although I listened to them a lot when I was younger. I still believe Our House and Teach Your Children and many more songs resonate through the years. The Eagles were nothing like the music they were playing in my opinion. Except maybe harmonies were exceptional in both bands.

Yeah I agree I think of the Eagles as being more diverse and generally being a heavy, rock band, also the Eagles initial run lasted longer which I think is one of the things they are envious of the Eagles

chaim
10-08-2015, 06:08 AM
I can understand Crosby calling them boring and criticizing them for not taking risks, since he's the man with the unorthodox chord changes as far as I know. Having said that, although the song is very popular, Nash's Our House is one of the most boring songs I've heard.

Jonny Come Lately
10-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Crosby, Stills and Nash were a bit of a musical melting pot when you think about them - Crosby was one of the early folk-rockers with the Byrds, Stills was in Buffalo Springfield, who I'd say were a rock band with country and folk influences (along with some other guy called Neil Young), whereas Nash was from the British pop group The Hollies. I feel that out of these bands, perhaps slightly controversially I will say that the Eagles have most in common with Buffalo Springfield, who wrote songs about the darker side of the California lifestyle (the Byrds were probably a bit closer to the 'hippie' CSN), although clearly the guitars and harmonies of the Byrds were an inspiration for the Eagles.

I would say I enjoy CSN to some extent, but the guy I really love is Y. It will therefore probably not surprise you that much that my favourite song on Deja Vu is Helpless. Neil's seminal song Thrasher, from the Rust Never Sleeps album, uses a series of elaborate metaphors to describe his feelings about the other three guys, it's one of his very finest lyrical efforts IMO.

Funk 50
10-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Joe Walsh has a credit on Manassas's 2nd album Down The Road. He also played on one of Graham Nash's early albums. I'm pretty sure he's pals with all of CSN(Y). Joe was a guest at Crosby & Nash's double wedding.
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1987-06-26/features/8702240525_1_roger-mcguinn-susan-nash-san-fernando-valley

Apparently, Stephen Stills wanted to be in a band with Joe Walsh. When Stephen suggested it to his band mates they were flatly against the idea because of Joe's immense stage presence. They feared that Joe would attract all the attention while they were on stage. I don't know which of his bands, Stephen was talking about though. :shrug: