PDA

View Full Version : So are they breaking up?!

1EyedWick
01-20-2016, 02:54 PM
I do not mean to be rude or crass asking this question...and I actually do understand why for a few reasons BUT I do not understand on some levels why no one anywhere from what I can see has posted a simple question about The Eagles concerning Glenn's passing (R.I.P). Are the Eagles breaking up?! Are they continuing?! Why has not a single thought passed and been posted anywhere in the media or fans concerning this?! I'm dumbfounded.

EagleLady
01-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Too soon to ask this IMO.

Topkat
01-20-2016, 03:15 PM
I personally think the Eagles are over. I always thought they would retire soon & stop touring. I never expected it to end like this. I can't see anyone replacing Glenn in the band.
I think they will all do solo work at their own pace, as they have really done all along, but as for the Eagles, I think it really is over.
They may at their solo shows do some more Eagle songs than they used to do, but that's it.

I can hardly wrap my mind around the whole thing. As if it hasn't really sunk in yet, & I am surprised myself at the extent this has hit me. Glenn was not my favorite Eagle, but he is irreplaceable, as far as I can see.
He will be greatly missed.

RIP Mr. Frey & thank you for all the wonderful music, concerts & memories :heart:

1EyedWick
01-20-2016, 03:22 PM
These were and are my thoughts as well...but needless to say...don't you all find it fascinating that not one media source or post has been done asking this simple and basic question concerning the subject at hand? I would have thought a simple mentioning of it would not have been too bad.

I would imagine that the Eagles are basically Glenn's group (right?) that that would be the end...at least for a period of time...but I do think that groups should at some point down the road should be allowed to continue.

Brooke
01-20-2016, 03:42 PM
Just posted my thoughts on this in the other thread where you asked.

I think it's too soon, but I don't see the Eagles touring without Glenn. Ever. Don has said it was Glenn's decision. It was Glenn's band.

UndertheWire
01-20-2016, 04:21 PM
I could see them coming together for benefits, maybe bring in an old friend like Jackson or JD to take Glenn's part but I'd be shocked if they would consider anything more. I'm kind of hoping they'll do a benefit in Glenn's name for research and treatment of auto-immune diseases.

Freypower
01-20-2016, 04:33 PM
These were and are my thoughts as well...but needless to say...don't you all find it fascinating that not one media source or post has been done asking this simple and basic question concerning the subject at hand? I would have thought a simple mentioning of it would not have been too bad.

I would imagine that the Eagles are basically Glenn's group (right?) that that would be the end...at least for a period of time...but I do think that groups should at some point down the road should be allowed to continue.

It isn't a question of them being 'allowed' to continue. The gap is too great. Led Zeppelin did not continue after the death of John Bonham. This is even more significant.

In any case I doubt the remaining Eagles have been giving much thought to the question.

AlreadyGone95
01-20-2016, 06:13 PM
I can't foresee Don,Joe, or Timothy continuing to tour as "Eagles". There is no Eagles without Glenn. He founded the band, broke it up, and resumed it. Don Henley may be the voice to some folks, but Glenn was the backbone and heart of the band.

A tribute, yes, I would love that. (I hope that they would record it so that fans can buy it). For now though, I think that the guys aren't gonna do anything for a while.

DivineDon
01-20-2016, 07:22 PM
The Eagles died the day Glenn died.

There is no way that Don will tour as the Eagles without Glenn. They probably will play together as a tribute or with each other on albums etc but the band 'Eagles' is no more.

DJ
01-20-2016, 07:30 PM
IMO it's one too soon and two they wouldn't be the Eagles without Glenn. When Bernie and Randy left they still had Don and Glenn. Now that Glenn is gone (RIP) I seriously doubt there will ever be the Eagles again. I see them doing benefit concerts, etc..But that's about it. No one can replace Mr Glenn Lewis Frey. Simple as that. Don has his solo career, Joe has a solo career so that really leaves Timothy and I'm sure he'll do something else.

It's very sad that this wonderful band created out of 4 young talented men wanting to change music in the 70's and working methodically hard to accomplish that, is over. But I think all we have left is the music that has been recorded. :weep:

TW
01-20-2016, 07:37 PM
i would assume that since glenn is gone that so are the eagles. however, stranger things have happened.

GlennLover
01-20-2016, 07:54 PM
Irving said in this article http://ultimateclassicrock.com/irving-azoff-glenn-frey-death-comment/

Now, says Azoff, he and the surviving band members are left to say goodbye to the band after a 20-year reunion run that “nobody regrets” while wondering what they might have been able to add to their legacy with a little more time. Saying their next project would have been called “Pigs Are Gonna Fly,” Azoff admitted the obvious: “It doesn’t look like” the group will be able to continue.

NOLA
01-20-2016, 08:58 PM
The Eagles died the day Glenn died.

There is no way that Don will tour as the Eagles without Glenn. They probably will play together as a tribute or with each other on albums etc but the band 'Eagles' is no more.

DD, that pretty much sums it up for me, too. It's a very sad reality.

Victim of Love
01-20-2016, 09:50 PM
I really think this says it all:

Azoff admitted the obvious: “It doesn’t look like” the group will be able to continue.

MaryCalifornia
01-20-2016, 09:58 PM
I think it will be just like in the '80s - a couple of the guys will play together from time to time, Timothy will play with friends like Ringo Starr, maybe another solo tour (but I doubt it), Joe will do his thing, Don will do his thing, Tim and Joe might play together on something, Tim and Don might do something together, etc...Don and Joe might meet up somewhere...Those 3 will not tour or record as the Eagles.

The real question is if any previously-unreleased material (video, audio, song sheets) will be released - this could be a good time for that...

Victim of Love
01-20-2016, 10:21 PM
The real question is if any previously-unreleased material (video, audio, song sheets) will be released - this could be a good time for that...

I've wondered the same thing, MC. I seem to recall Joe saying something a while back about them working on new material and there's bound to be some unreleased recordings secreted away somewhere, both old and maybe new. But there are no doubt a lot of legal issues that would surround those.

IMO, if there was ever any thought given to putting out a HOTE tour DVD it should really happen. What a beautiful tribute to memorialize Glenn! I can't believe that in all the time they toured for HOTE there hasn't been bountiful filming done at various venues by their own people.

sad-cafe
01-20-2016, 10:32 PM
The founder has died. I wouldn't call it breaking up-more like abruptly ended due to horrible circumstance. Breaking up implies argument and anger. This is not that.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-20-2016, 11:16 PM
I do not mean to be rude or crass asking this question...and I actually do understand why for a few reasons BUT I do not understand on some levels why no one anywhere from what I can see has posted a simple question about The Eagles concerning Glenn's passing (R.I.P). Are the Eagles breaking up?! Are they continuing?! Why has not a single thought passed and been posted anywhere in the media or fans concerning this?! I'm dumbfounded.

I do not mean to be rude or crass either, but I think the real answer has been repeated several times in this thread – it’s too early to be asking these kinds of questions. It’s only been two days since Glenn’s passing and this should be a time for everyone to be dealing with that and focusing on paying tribute to him. I realize I may be super-sensitive right now, but that’s the reason we observe periods of mourning in our culture. As they say, there is a time and a place for everything – and this isn't it. There will be plenty of more appropriate times in the coming weeks and months for Don, Joe, and Timothy to sort through these matters and for fans to speculate. Besides, as GlennLover pointed out, Irving pretty much addressed the matter at least for now.

AftertheThrill
01-20-2016, 11:23 PM
I think the Eagles run is over but they won't break up. It's just the book has ended.

Editing to add: I've been mourning the loss of Glenn and the loss of the Eagles. I knew that someday they would call it quits but I thought it would be after a concert in LA. (My dream was a final, taped concert at the Troubordour). I never thought the end would be a death.

travlnman2
01-20-2016, 11:35 PM
When Lynyrd Skynyrd lost three members including Ronnie Van Zant who is irreplacible like Glenn the surving member formed the Rossington Collins band for a little bit so they can do something lile that new band new music new members. With the tribute to the fallen leaders at the end of shows.

1EyedWick
01-21-2016, 01:50 AM
Lol. But that's just the point of the discussion. The post you showed was my first one so I don't know how that is some how worth criticizing in terms of how it was asked, why, or when. All the responses you point out...came out after I asked. How else do responses and answers happen if there is not a question to begin with. Hmmm...I appear to be the first human being to address something rather obvious that I don't think is too far out of league here for a public figure who was in a pop group. Lol. Also I addressed any sensitivities or concerns about it somehow being the "wrong time to ask" or "addressing the issue" but there are six billion other people on Earth and I don't think it is beyond the pale that someone or more specifically myself ask so what's up with the pop group that made this public figure so popular? People are allowed to ask about public figures. What confounds me is the total lack of interest and inquiring what the future holds for these folks. As it is you are posting the manager addressing what he thinks at this point in time. So it really isn't such an absurd thing I would say.

OutlawManNJ
01-21-2016, 01:53 AM

I stated in my post about his death that I see this as the oficial end of the band. What would be the point? More money? Does Don need more money?

1EyedWick
01-21-2016, 02:16 AM
That's another thing that blows my mind. The Eagles unfortunately were like The Rolling Stones and maybe some other acts how they were kind of an "oldies act" where the fans had no interest, curiosity, and inquisitioning about new music mere less new studio l.p.s. Same can be said for Black Sabbath, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen, etc. I don't understand how people can be so closed minded about a music act or music acts plural that they seem to give an impression of caring so much about. On some level I can understand if the new music sucks BUT it confounds the mind when Joe Walsh is asked in an interview about a new (at the time of course) solo studio l.p. with the Eagles while he was promoting "Analog Man" first thing in the interview and he states "It is in the can." and then he and the interviewer just move on with the interview focusing only on whatever else not related to that question. (!) Again it leaves me dumbfound not only how that was so overlooked in the interview yet barely any sources address what Joe said that you would think would be interested such as, I don't know, the fans.

So what does it take for the fans to no longer care about new music and only want to hear the same songs over and over for decades and to never grow as either a person or allow the group they admire to change in any way EVER? I mean we are talking about an act that charges far more per ticket than what people spend on buying songs or stealing them. They only had seven studio l.p.s (though I guess they would do songs from groups and projects outside of The Eagles such as solo songs).

EaglesCN
01-21-2016, 05:11 AM
I'm a Eaglesfans from China,last weekend I registered in this forum.Before that I listened the Eagles songs for several years,their songs deeply moved me,when I knew Glenn Frey had to fly,I was in deep sorrow,they went to China in 2011 and I didn't come to the concert,for I didn't know them at that time,if only I had known them earlier.Now in our city is raining,it's just as terrible as I am now.

chaim
01-21-2016, 05:17 AM
A few decades ago rock musicians didn't expect to be still doing it when they're thirty. Nowadays they are expected to keep releasing innovative albums that cover new ground when they're seventy. Maybe in the 90's the Eagles could've been expected to record more (and most of us probably did), but these days, IMHO, it's just common sense to not expect people who are way past retirement age to keep putting out new stuff. Touring's another matter. Especially with a band like the Eagles who gain new fans among every generation and new people get (got) to experience them live.

And when you have relatively young children like Glenn did (and Don, I think, has too), you don't need another situation that lasts for months (if not years) where you have to stress about songwriting, trying to find time to get together with the others to argue about songs or general direction, arranging songs, trying to arrange session schedules for people who have their own schedules when they are not touring etc. etc. etc. etc.

Me? I'd love to get new stuff from Procol Harum, Moody Blues, Eagles (well, up 'til now), KISS etc., but I realize that I can't be expecting to get it. But I can still enjoy their previous albums and go see them if I choose to. And I can also choose to not go see them. It's rather simple actually. When you go to a Moody Blues concert, for example, it's not just the songs. It's the gathering and the overall feeling too, although I do think that they should change the setlist more often. There are plenty of other artists I can get new music from. Having said that, it's great when an elderly artist still does new music (Neil Young etc.), but I accept that it can't be the norm.

Do the Eagles continue? I don't think so, but frankly at the moment I don't care, because first and foremost these people are human beings with families and lives, not rock musicians who owe me something. They'll probably talk about this when it's time.

sodascouts
01-21-2016, 09:45 AM
Back when they discussed reuniting in 1990 and Glenn pulled out, Don refused to continue without him. To paraphrase, he said, "Without Glenn, it's Don Henley and his backing band." Now, I consider that an overstatement, but it's his mentality. When you consider the fact that Joe mostly does his solo / James Gang material and Timothy only has four songs to his name in the entire Eagles catalog, you can see how it would be problematic.

The Eagles are over.

Freypower
01-21-2016, 05:33 PM
That's another thing that blows my mind. The Eagles unfortunately were like The Rolling Stones and maybe some other acts how they were kind of an "oldies act" where the fans had no interest, curiosity, and inquisitioning about new music mere less new studio l.p.s. Same can be said for Black Sabbath, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen, etc. I don't understand how people can be so closed minded about a music act or music acts plural that they seem to give an impression of caring so much about. On some level I can understand if the new music sucks BUT it confounds the mind when Joe Walsh is asked in an interview about a new (at the time of course) solo studio l.p. with the Eagles while he was promoting "Analog Man" first thing in the interview and he states "It is in the can." and then he and the interviewer just move on with the interview focusing only on whatever else not related to that question. (!) Again it leaves me dumbfound not only how that was so overlooked in the interview yet barely any sources address what Joe said that you would think would be interested such as, I don't know, the fans.

So what does it take for the fans to no longer care about new music and only want to hear the same songs over and over for decades and to never grow as either a person or allow the group they admire to change in any way EVER? I mean we are talking about an act that charges far more per ticket than what people spend on buying songs or stealing them. They only had seven studio l.p.s (though I guess they would do songs from groups and projects outside of The Eagles such as solo songs).

It is not up to the fans to decide what paths these men will now take. It is not a question of the fans not wanting them to continue (although I do not). It is a question of reality.

The comment by Joe Walsh about new music being ín the can has been discussed on this board previously. No matter how much it is discussed by fans, it is not up to us to tell the remaining Eagles what to do.

I'm finding this hard enough as it is without all this questioning about why don't they just continue on as if nothing has happened.

ETA: It is absolutely not true for me at least that I had no interest in new music. I was one of the most passionate advocates for it on this board. But it is too late for that now. I welcome more new music by Messers Henley, Walsh & Schmit; as individuals.

jms18222
01-21-2016, 06:23 PM
It's just like the Broadway play that will never be finished. I can't imagine the guys would ever continue without Glenn. I mean who can ever sing Take It Easy?

I would have been 1st in line for the Pigs Are Gonna Fly Tour but I will always have July 18th 2015 in Atlantic City to remember. That was a 1 year anniversary of my mom's passing. If you would have told me Glenn would have passed 6 months later I would have thought you were insane. He looked so happy & healthy.

Pete Blundell
01-21-2016, 07:07 PM
Another band I like,Yes,has tried to continue without its founding vocalist Jon Anderson and now its founding bass player too,Chris Squire.

Its caused no end of division and disunity amongst the lifelong fans.

I would like to see all surviving ex Eagle & current Eagle members re-unite for perhaps a special musical memorial in Glenn's honour,but I agree full touring as The Eagles without Glenn just doesn't seem right.

sjaros3
01-22-2016, 12:04 AM
I saw the last concert the Eagles have played so far, in Bossier City last July, and I would bet that will end up being their last show ever. I've always thought that you can't have "The Eagles" without both Glenn and Don. Both are essential.

I guess we'll see ...

sodascouts
01-22-2016, 12:37 AM
I wish I had gone to that, but I was in South Africa. Did you get any photos? I know they were forbidden, but it would be nice to see them that one last time.

C. Brian Jasper
01-22-2016, 09:19 AM
This is an open message to Don Henley: Nobody can replace Glenn; we all know that, but to continue the band there is only one choice worthy of being in the band and to give it a shot in the arm, when it is so desperately needed now: and that is Jackson Browne; he's always been in the family as a sort of auxiliary Eagle all along.

Freypower
01-22-2016, 04:58 PM
The band does not need a shot in the arm. The band has come to an end.

sad-cafe
01-22-2016, 11:36 PM
This is an open message to Don Henley: Nobody can replace Glenn; we all know that, but to continue the band there is only one choice worthy of being in the band and to give it a shot in the arm, when it is so desperately needed now: and that is Jackson Browne; he's always been in the family as a sort of auxiliary Eagle all along.

no

Just

No

deb828
01-22-2016, 11:47 PM
Agree. We are all so sad because it is over.

1EyedWick
01-23-2016, 01:19 AM
I realize that The Eagles were Glenn's group but in the last few years I have come under the opinion that ALL recording groups should continue both live and as recording artists. That could entail old members and new members. Obviously I would say someone would have the rights to the name of the group but it could be done like a franchise. I think that the sky is the limit here and truly opens doors that no one thought could be possible again. I do think that it might be best for the current members to "break up" or "take a break for a while" such as year or so but they could start up again by touring. As for being needing certain other people who play some other instruments besides the three guys left we all know that groups such as The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, and The Rolling Stones have had back up groups, er, side men and woman who play along with them anyways. So it is not that inconceivable of an idea in my opinion. In the case of The Eagles there is a VERY rich history. What better time than to bring Don Felder, Bernie Leadon, and Randy Meisner?! How exciting that could be!

Outlawman13
01-23-2016, 01:25 AM
I honestly should think that noooo would be the right answer here!!! No one can replace Glenn and above all honestly, none of the other members would think so too!!! He was the sole man of this group and the sole provider!!! No one can replace this man!!! The voice is unique, the music, and his words!!! I don't think anyone can touch them like Glenn did!!! I love that man like no other!!

Freypower
01-23-2016, 02:06 AM
I realize that The Eagles were Glenn's group but in the last few years I have come under the opinion that ALL recording groups should continue both live and as recording artists. That could entail old members and new members. Obviously I would say someone would have the rights to the name of the group but it could be done like a franchise. I think that the sky is the limit here and truly opens doors that no one thought could be possible again. I do think that it might be best for the current members to "break up" or "take a break for a while" such as year or so but they could start up again by touring. As for being needing certain other people who play some other instruments besides the three guys left we all know that groups such as The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, and The Rolling Stones have had back up groups, er, side men and woman who play along with them anyways. So it is not that inconceivable of an idea in my opinion. In the case of The Eagles there is a VERY rich history. What better time than to bring Don Felder, Bernie Leadon, and Randy Meisner?! How exciting that could be!

No, it would not.

You appear not to be taking into account Glenn Frey's singing & songwriting.

Please show some respect.

AlreadyGone95
01-23-2016, 03:31 AM
My first reaction to the Eagles carrying on without their leader is, how? Who's going to sing Glenn's songs? There's only one voice for New Kid in Town, Heartache Tonight, Take It Easy, Lyin' Eyes etc. Not to even mention the guitar or piano parts. What's the point of doing mostly only doing Don Henley songs? That wouldn't be "Eagles". The Eagles simply cannot exist as the band we know and love without Glenn.

BillBailey1976
01-23-2016, 10:12 AM
I think in order for the band to have closure and allow the fans to be part of the process, the band should do a giant tribute to Glenn.
I think you do this with one tour.
You invite Don F and Randy M, if they are able, along with Don, Tim, Joe and Bernie.
Have Jackson, JD, maybe Bob Seger, come in also. Sing your songs....Don, Tim, Joe, do your normal stuff, but have either a member or guest talk about a song of Glenn's, what it meant to them, maybe how they co-wrote it, or something and do those in tribute to Glenn.
Otherwise, I think the Eagles name should just be retired.
If Don, Tim and Joe want to keep playing together, do it. Just call it something different. I'd pay to go see that. They could all incorporate more solo material along with the Eagles tunes.
Just my thoughts.

maryc2130
01-23-2016, 10:33 AM
I can see doing a tribute, but not under the Eagles name.

The Eagles genesis came from Glenn. It was his baby, and he and Don H were the ones who kept it alive and thriving all these years with their fantastic songwriting, lead singing, harmonies, instrumentation, arrangements and management. To think that the band could go on with out Glenn or Don H. is just inconceivable, IMHO. And I have to believe that Don feels that way as well. Some of the lyrics from the songs on his new album made me think he didn't really want to go on with the Eagles, even if this hadn't happened:

"I'm taking one last victory lap and then I'll take a bow. Because I like where I am now."

"Though nostalgia is fine, I respectfully decline to spend my future living in the past. I've been carrying my load down this same old rocky road. Every day I'm getting deeper in a rut."

"Take a picture of this; this is me leaving. Take a picture of this; this is me walking away."

There are others, but I'm too lazy to go back and look right now. And no, I'm not sure all these are about the Eagles, but I have to think at least some of them are.

As others have said, I can see them doing a tribute to Glenn and maybe touring in twos or threes at some point, but I don't believe it will be as the Eagles. Just my two cents!

deb828
01-23-2016, 01:46 PM
During an interview on CBS Sunday morning with the release of Cass County, DH indicated he was "fine" if the Eagles was over. Not sure they would have toured again, even without this sad event. I would pay to see a one-time tribute, but it would be just that, not an Eagles concert.

Brooke
01-23-2016, 02:33 PM
The band does not need a shot in the arm. The band has come to an end.

Amen!

NightMistBlue
01-23-2016, 03:01 PM
Another band I like,Yes,has tried to continue without its founding vocalist Jon Anderson and now its founding bass player too,Chris Squire.

Its caused no end of division and disunity amongst the lifelong fans.

I would like to see all surviving ex Eagle & current Eagle members re-unite for perhaps a special musical memorial in Glenn's honour,but I agree full touring as The Eagles without Glenn just doesn't seem right.

Yes fans are always dissatisfied! :) I speak from personal experience, I love the band.

I agree with your Eagles view but as Freypower says, it's not our place to tell them how to go forward. Having said that, I sincerely hope we can hear Glenn's unreleased solo material as well as the recent Eagles stuff. Shoot, I hope they release archival treasures too. But as the Italians say: live in hope, die in despair.

travlnman2
01-23-2016, 11:07 PM
Yes fans are always dissatisfied! :) I speak from personal experience, I love the band.

I agree with your Eagles view but as Freypower says, it's not our place to tell them how to go forward. Having said that, I sincerely hope we can hear Glenn's unreleased solo material as well as the recent Eagles stuff. Shoot, I hope they release archival treasures too. But as the Italians say: live in hope, die in despair.

Well my family is about as Italain you can get and you have that right.

1EyedWick
01-25-2016, 03:11 AM
Oh, man! It would be so great at some point for them to reform with the other past members one and two it would all keep Glenn's spirit alive and take everything to even more great levels of both creativity and excitement!

SilverAcidRayne
01-25-2016, 06:42 AM
Yeah. I honestly can't picture them going on. Not at this point.

EagleLady
01-25-2016, 08:49 AM

No, No one can replace Glenn. He created the band.

Freypower
01-25-2016, 05:07 PM
Oh, man! It would be so great at some point for them to reform with the other past members one and two it would all keep Glenn's spirit alive and take everything to even more great levels of both creativity and excitement!

To put it mildly, I think you are missing the entire point.

This is the second time you have used the word 'excitement'. Forgive me if I fail to find anything even remotely 'exciting' in these events & their aftermath.

Tori
01-25-2016, 06:04 PM
Agreed entirely. It's way too soon to begin to think about the band's status; although my bet is that, for all intents and purposes, the Eagles as we know them are done.

GlennLover
01-25-2016, 10:49 PM
I agree as well.

AlreadyGone95
01-25-2016, 10:54 PM
I definitely can't see Don continuing the band without his partner and brother. I also can't picture Don taking on the leadership role that Glenn had. Who wants to go and see "Don Henley and his backing band"? (to use an old quote). Would they completely omit any Glenn song? Because to many, if not almost all, fans, certain Eagles songs can only be sung by one Eagle.

But, we won't know for sure until they (probably Don or Irving), announce it, which probably won't be for a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guys have started thinking about their own mortality, and want to do other things and spend time with friends and family.

StephUK
01-26-2016, 01:27 AM
Can't imagine the Eagles without Glenn. The Eagles are no more, but their music will live on, so LONG LIVE THE EAGLES

Outlawman13
01-26-2016, 01:51 AM
I can't see them going on without Glenn!!! No one can replace him!!! All we can do is live with all of the c.d.s, videos, and memories they gave us!!! They will always be the world's favvie band of all time!!

Topkat
02-01-2016, 11:41 AM
It's just like the Broadway play that will never be finished. I can't imagine the guys would ever continue without Glenn. I mean who can ever sing Take It Easy?

I would have been 1st in line for the Pigs Are Gonna Fly Tour but I will always have July 18th 2015 in Atlantic City to remember. That was a 1 year anniversary of my mom's passing. If you would have told me Glenn would have passed 6 months later I would have thought you were insane. He looked so happy & healthy.

I have to disagree with you about the Broadway show. In fact, I think there will be even a bigger demand for it now... Did you think the actual Eagles were going to be in the show?? No, that was never happening. They will find young guys to play the young Eagles that can really sing. Have you seen Jersey Boys? Frankie Valli & the 4 Season are not in the show, yet the show is just fabulous!
I think that Henley will continue with the plans for the show in Glenn's honor, & it will be a hit on Broadway. I would say that it's going to be another year though until it materializes, as I'm not sure how far they have come with the production.

BTSinAustin
02-01-2016, 03:51 PM

Henley never really needed Frey after he went solo so I would guess he will do some solo rehash tours. The Eagles reunion tours were easy money and I'm sure he's smart enough to do the same thing with Perfect Beast and End of Innocence material.

BTSinAustin
02-01-2016, 03:52 PM
I can't see them going on without Glenn!!! No one can replace him!!! All we can do is live with all of the c.d.s, videos, and memories they gave us!!! They will always be the world's favvie band of all time!!

No disrespect intended but the Stones have outlasted everyone.

Freypower
02-01-2016, 04:20 PM
I have to disagree with you about the Broadway show. In fact, I think there will be even a bigger demand for it now... Did you think the actual Eagles were going to be in the show?? No, that was never happening. They will find young guys to play the young Eagles that can really sing. Have you seen Jersey Boys? Frankie Valli & the 4 Season are not in the show, yet the show is just fabulous!
I think that Henley will continue with the plans for the show in Glenn's honor, & it will be a hit on Broadway. I would say that it's going to be another year though until it materializes, as I'm not sure how far they have come with the production.

JMS didn't state the Eagles were going to be in the Broadway show, just continuing the generalised opinion that they won't continue.

Freypower
02-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Henley never really needed Frey after he went solo so I would guess he will do some solo rehash tours. The Eagles reunion tours were easy money and I'm sure he's smart enough to do the same thing with Perfect Beast and End of Innocence material.

It was Frey who broke up the Eagles so the comment that Henley 'never really needed Frey' seems to me not appropriate.

It's only been two weeks & already we are back to this sort of stuff. I really don't need this.

SilverAcidRayne
02-01-2016, 05:11 PM
yeah. I think this would be the last thing on their minds at this point. some time down the road maybe but definitely not now

BTSinAustin
02-01-2016, 05:47 PM
It was Frey who broke up the Eagles so the comment that Henley 'never really needed Frey' seems to me not appropriate.

It's only been two weeks & already we are back to this sort of stuff. I really don't need this.

I see you responded to what you wanted to make it look like I said instead of what I said. I truly don't need that stuff.

The point that the Eagles reunited for easy money is pretty clear. Henley's solo career made all the others look pretty lame. All this nonsense of brothers and such is just talk and we all know it. They named it "Hell Freezes Over" for a reason.

This does not take away from Frey's memory, catalog or talent at all.

Freypower
02-01-2016, 05:51 PM
I see you responded to what you wanted to make it look like I said instead of what I said. I truly don't need that stuff.

The point that the Eagles reunited for easy money is pretty clear. Henley's solo career made all the others look pretty lame. All this nonsense of brothers and such is just talk and we all know it. They named it "Hell Freezes Over" for a reason.

This does not take away from Frey's memory, catalog or talent at all.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make but I repeat, what you are saying is inappropriate at this time.

As for your sarcastic reposting of my words that I don't need this stuff, let me repeat it. I don't. I am having a very hard time at the moment. All I ask is for some respect & sensitivity to be shown.

BTSinAustin
02-01-2016, 06:01 PM
I have no idea what point you are trying to make but I repeat, what you are saying is inappropriate at this time.

As for your sarcastic reposting of my words that I don't need this stuff, let me repeat it. I don't. I am having a very hard time at the moment. All I ask is for some respect & sensitivity to be shown.

What stuff are you referring to? No one is allowed to respond to a question about the Eagles breaking up? That is quite odd since that is what happens on a forum. I was not sarcastic, just pointing out that you misquoted me. I think you were the one that jumped all over me last time I came on here.

Freypower
02-01-2016, 06:05 PM
You said 'Henley never really needed Frey' and I quoted you directly.

I believe that of course Henley & the other remaining Eagles will continue their solo careers.

I suppose I understand why some wish to talk about this, but where I come from it is called dancing on a grave.

Pete Blundell
02-01-2016, 06:09 PM
I really enjoyed "The Concert For George" for George Harrison and I would hope one day in the future something similar would be possible as a tribute to Glenn.

I don't know how long that concert took place after George passed away?

Freypower
02-01-2016, 06:09 PM
I really enjoyed "The Concert For George" for George Harrison and I would hope one day in the future something similar would be possible as a tribute to Glenn.

It was exactly a year later.

BTSinAustin
02-01-2016, 06:14 PM
You said 'Henley never really needed Frey' and I quoted you directly.

An incomplete quote is as bad as changing the words but you know that. Let me help you

I have no idea why you are arguing about this. Henley swept awards, sold crap tons of records and would have never got back with the Eagles unless he was got an offer he couldn't refuse. All this is indisputable.

The fact that Frey was a huge talent that wrote and sang some of the best songs in history (in my opinion) is not being argued.

With you it is all or nothing right?

BTSinAustin
02-01-2016, 06:16 PM

I still listen to that album. Harrison was a huge talent. How amazing to have Clapton as your best friend.

Topkat
02-01-2016, 06:32 PM
I just watched History of the Eagles the other night again as it was on CNN & Henley said he wanted to get the Eagles back together, as he liked being part of a band. His solo career was successful & he had nothing to prove. He didn't like being responsible for everything , or every wrong note. He liked being part of a band, so I certainly wouldn't say he didn't need Glenn. I think he liked the band rather than being a solo act.

Freypower
02-01-2016, 06:34 PM
An incomplete quote is as bad as changing the words but you know that. Let me help you

I have no idea why you are arguing about this. Henley swept awards, sold crap tons of records and would have never got back with the Eagles unless he was got an offer he couldn't refuse. All this is indisputable.

The fact that Frey was a huge talent that wrote and sang some of the best songs in history (in my opinion) is not being argued.

OK then. In a thread about whether the Eagles would continue, I thought the comments about how Henley was the most successful & never needed Frey at that time, while they may have been correct, were disrespectful. The comments about how the reunion was all for money & the 'brothers' references are 'nonsense' I also found extremely disrepectful at this time. The entire thread upsets me so I am leaving it.

timfan
02-01-2016, 06:47 PM

This message board for many at this time is a source of solace and community as they grieve for Glenn and the band. FP asked you politely for respect and sensitivity during this difficult period; not a unreasonable request IMO.

BTSinAustin
02-01-2016, 07:04 PM
I just watched History of the Eagles the other night again as it was on CNN & Henley said he wanted to get the Eagles back together, as he liked being part of a band. His solo career was successful & he had nothing to prove. He didn't like being responsible for everything , or every wrong note. He liked being part of a band, so I certainly wouldn't say he didn't need Glenn. I think he liked the band rather than being a solo act.

I'll buy that. I have not seen it in years but when Hell Freezes Over aired I remember Henley saying they would have been crazy to turn down that much money. NOT A QUOTE

BTSinAustin
02-01-2016, 07:07 PM
OK then. In a thread about whether the Eagles would continue, I thought the comments about how Henley was the most successful & never needed Frey at that time, while they may have been correct, were disrespectful. The comments about how the reunion was all for money & the 'brothers' references are 'nonsense' I also found extremely disrepectful at this time. The entire thread upsets me so I am leaving it.

I think you are being way too sensitive. Yes it was sad but we lose stars every week it seems. It will bum me out when I hear take it easy but that is all it really is, Anything beyond that is just a bit much right? I hope I am not reading this right that your life has changed due to this?

BTSinAustin
02-01-2016, 07:09 PM
This message board for many at this time is a source of solace and community as they grieve for Glenn and the band. FP asked you politely for respect and sensitivity during this difficult period; not a unreasonable request IMO.

Agree, like a few weeks ago when Bowie died. But it is still just another star that lived too hard ad flamed out early. Sad but life is for the living and I answered the OP

Freypower
02-01-2016, 07:46 PM
I think you are being way too sensitive. Yes it was sad but we lose stars every week it seems. It will bum me out when I hear take it easy but that is all it really is, Anything beyond that is just a bit much right? I hope I am not reading this right that your life has changed due to this?

Stop it.

timfan
02-01-2016, 08:17 PM
But it is still just another star that lived too hard ad flamed out early. Sad but life is for the living and I answered the OP

Your opinion. Not one that I (or obviously some others) share. Let's just agree to disagree and let it go.

Tori
02-01-2016, 10:35 PM

Honestly???????? Why would you cut someone down for grieving? None of us knew him personally, of course we didn't, but that doesn't mean our grief is unwarranted. We are most certainly not being "sensitive". Our lives have changed, my friend, and if yours hasn't, congratulations - but have a shred of respect for the fact that this affects us a lot.

EagleLady
02-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Agree, like a few weeks ago when Bowie died. But it is still just another star that lived too hard ad flamed out early. Sad but life is for the living and I answered the OP

How cold can you be? is it too much to ask for you to be sensitive to others in their time of grief.

sodascouts
02-02-2016, 12:34 AM
Well, I'm afraid I had to ban our dear friend BSinAustin after he sent me a nasty PM in reply to me sending him a warning about his behavior. Somehow I don't think anyone here will be too broken up about it, but I wanted to let you know you needn't reply to him anymore.

Prettymaid
02-02-2016, 12:36 AM
Well, I'm afraid I had to ban our dear friend BSinAustin after he sent me an nasty PM in reply to me sending him a warning about his behavior. Somehow I don't think anyone here will be too broken up about it, but I wanted to let you know you needn't reply to him anymore.

BS, indeed.

Tori
02-02-2016, 12:45 AM
Soda, as us millennials say, you the real MVP! How infuriating.

WitchyWoman92
02-02-2016, 12:48 AM
Soda, Thank you for getting rid of him. I have never seen such insensitivity in all my life.

EagleLady
02-02-2016, 12:57 AM
Thank you to our fearless leader Nancy! :applause:

Outlawman13
02-02-2016, 01:20 AM
I would love to thank you too Nancy!!

AlreadyGone95
02-02-2016, 01:30 AM
Let me join those who are thanking Soda. We've all been affected by Glenn's passing. We've all reacted differently, but this is still a time of mourning. It's only been 2 weeks. I have thought about what the band might do, but it doesn't matter right now. Glenn is no longer with us, and for us hardcore fans, it's a deep wound that has changed us, and it will take time to heal.

Glennsallnighter
02-02-2016, 06:47 AM
Thanks Soda for banning him, I was about to make up my own comment as well. Alot of us have been part of this fan community for years and the presence of the friends we have made here helps to no end. If he cannot understand how we are all still feeling 2 weeks on he should not be on the Border.

Your words say it all AG.

UndertheWire
02-02-2016, 07:00 AM
Since this thread was started, JD Souther has said what I feel about the subject:

They're done. They're not going to go back out without Glenn, absolutely not. I think it would be sacrilegious. I can't think of a way to do that that would be all right.

travlnman2
02-02-2016, 08:33 AM
I still listen to that album. Harrison was a huge talent. How amazing to have Clapton as your best friend.

I love that concert its what got me in to music and playing guitar. It was one Year after George's death. I would love to see that for Glenn.
Some people that come to mind for a tribute already are
Don
Timothy
Joe
Bernie
Felder
John David Souther
Jackson Browne
Bob Seger

SilverAcidRayne
02-02-2016, 09:31 AM
I noticed all that. I ignored it. because I would have made it worse by putting him in his place. no one goes around and disrespects grieving music fans like that.

Brooke
02-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Soda, thank you! Good riddance!

sad-cafe
02-05-2016, 01:08 AM
Well, I'm afraid I had to ban our dear friend BSinAustin after he sent me a nasty PM in reply to me sending him a warning about his behavior. Somehow I don't think anyone here will be too broken up about it, but I wanted to let you know you needn't reply to him anymore.

hank you for taking out the trash.

As always Soda-you rock

Pete Blundell
02-29-2016, 04:47 AM
I have never met the Eagles or attended any of their concerts.
They did come to the UK many years ago,but at the time my wife and I just couldn't afford the cost of the tickets.
We were so sad we couldn't get to finally see them.

On our honeymoon back in 1990 we played the 1980 Eagles Live album constantly.
They have been a large part of our lives since our early teens.

So although I never met Glenn,his music,songs and lyrics have touched my life deeply - and yes I grieve and miss him as if he was someone I had actually met and knew.

It'd like an important part of my life/growing up/ etc has been taken away.

That's how I feel anyway.

LuvTim
02-29-2016, 06:36 PM
I have never met the Eagles or attended any of their concerts.
They did come to the UK many years ago,but at the time my wife and I just couldn't afford the cost of the tickets.
We were so sad we couldn't get to finally see them.

On our honeymoon back in 1990 we played the 1980 Eagles Live album constantly.
They have been a large part of our lives since our early teens.

So although I never met Glenn,his music,songs and lyrics have touched my life deeply - and yes I grieve and miss him as if he was someone I had actually met and knew.

It'd like an important part of my life/growing up/ etc has been taken away.

That's how I feel anyway.

Thanks for sharing that, Pete. I, too, feel like the tickets were really very expensive. I did manage to catch their show once, but it was a big expense. That said, I find that all the concert tickets are so much more expensive these days and the Eagles were definitely worth it for me.

Elizasong
03-01-2016, 06:11 PM

I hope the Broadway show takes place although Glenn was the one manning the whole thing. I hope the remaining Eagles camp resume production in some form. I think it will be like Jersey Boys or Beautiful (Carol King) where it's their life story. It might even be loosely based on their life story.

buffyfan145
03-01-2016, 09:29 PM
It was the same with my family Pete and why we never were able to see The Eagles, even though my parents tried to in the late 90s but it was just too expensive to take all of us so they didn't go either. I do want to see Don and Joe if I ever can, like how I did get to see a Beatle when I saw Paul McCartney about 4 years ago. John's and George's tributes were so emotional and I feel this will happen now in the other Eagles' solo shows for Glenn.

I agree about the musical and hope it still gets made. If it is like "Jersey Boys" I know I'm going to love it. I became obsessed with that musical/movie, the cast, and refound my love for The Four Seasons music. :)

beguilingeyes
03-09-2016, 07:53 AM
Hi everyone,

First time poster, long-time fan. I agree that the band is done. I too would love to see a tribute show somewhere down the line. I loved what they did at the Grammys, it felt very appropriate. I'm glad I got to see them many times in the UK and I'm grateful for such a big part of my life. I really wouldn't want them to go down the 'Yes' route. That band should've died with Chris Squire IMO.

I also just got tickets to see Don in Hyde Park in July. I've never seen a Henley solo show.

The Byrd
03-09-2016, 06:54 PM
The only way it could possibly work is by bringing back Bernie and bringing in Jackson Browne. It wouldn't be the same though and I frankly don't want to see it happen as much as I love both of those cats.

UndertheWire
03-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Don Henley, today:

I think that was the final farewell, I don't think you'll see us performing again.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03m5kbh

Tori
03-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Welp, that's a punch in the gut. :(

Girl From Yesterday
03-10-2016, 03:51 PM
Newbie here...first actual post in a discussion.
I happen to also be a huge fan of Queen....
After Freddie Mercurys death they tried to carry on as Queen + Paul Rogers
Didn't go over so well ...
After a little break they added the kid from American Idol...

I post on a couple of Queen related forums and reactions are mixed .
I personally just wish they would have said,
" it's been a great ride,but with half of our band gone, Queen is no longer a band"
I personally would much rather see the remaining Eagles if they wish to carry on simply form a new band, as in my opinion there is no way they can live up to the legacy that is the Eagles .MOO

Please be gentle ...it took me years of creeping here to actually join :steviesmack::???:

AlreadyGone95
03-10-2016, 03:53 PM
I'm not surprised. Heartbroken, yes, but not surprised. The end of an era for sure.

Brooke
03-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Quoting UtW's post:

Don Henley, today:
Quote:
I think that was the final farewell, I don't think you'll see us performing again.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03m5kbh

Yup, not surprised.

It is good to hear he will be getting out though.

And, the news that the guys were contemplating doing an album feature (HC) tour later this year. :sad:

Freypower
03-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Welp, that's a punch in the gut. :(

Not for me. It's a relief to hear it out of his mouth.

However it was difficult for me to hear him talking about his own life & plans in that way. It has disconnected me even more. I understand that his fans will be pleased to hear about his plans & more power to them.

Tori
03-10-2016, 04:43 PM
True, FP. I knew it was coming, and it is good to finally hear it. Just never thought any of us would hear those words this soon.

Girl From Yesterday
03-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Not for me. It's a relief to hear it out of his mouth.

I feel the same ...it's sad and I hate it , but I guess it's true ....all good things must come to an end..
Accept no substitutes !

UndertheWire
03-10-2016, 04:48 PM
I was relieved to see it put into words... and yet, I've been hoping that there would be a single tribute concert for the fans.

Freypower
03-10-2016, 04:51 PM
I was relieved to see it put into words... and yet, I've been hoping that there would be a single tribute concert for the fans.

They could do a tribute concert, but they wouldn't be playing as 'the Eagles'. They could play in various combinations without all of them playing together at once.

He said not a word about any planned tribute. He was promoting himself, of course. I can only hope that some sort of effort is made, or I personally am going to feel - I can't put it any other way - betrayed.

UndertheWire
03-10-2016, 05:11 PM
I'm thinking more "let down", "anti-climax" but "betrayed" is close.

buffyfan145
03-10-2016, 05:16 PM
I'm sad but also glad Don said that. It just is unthinkable to me that they would carry on with Glenn. Solo and if they do a tribute concert is different, but The Eagles now are like The Beatles and many other great bands of the past.

AlreadyGone95
03-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Upset fits how I will/would feel if there isn't a tribute of some kind sometime in the future. The Grammy one was a let down and disappointment, to put it mildly. (Though that isn't the guys' fault)

Brooke
03-10-2016, 05:40 PM
He DID say "I think" and "I don't think"

"I think that was the final farewell, I don't think you'll see us performing again."

So there is a margin of doubt on that. But, yes, it does sound like the end. Which it should be. imo

FWIW
03-10-2016, 05:56 PM
If Don has learned anything from his 40+ years with the Eagles, it's gotta be "never say never." That said, I certainly don't expect they will perform again and I'm incredibly sad. It would have been less painful for me if all 4 members made a joint decision to retire.

Freypower
03-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Upset fits how I will/would feel if there isn't a tribute of some kind sometime in the future. The Grammy one was a let down and disappointment, to put it mildly. (Though that isn't the guys' fault)

But did you hear him say that they didn't want to do it?

If they hadn't, there would have been nothing.

Nash71
03-11-2016, 06:04 AM
Don Henley just gave an interview to the BBC saying the Eagles are over. It was expected, but still sad news. Henley also talks about his solo tour, very cool.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35780920

Mikeb71
03-11-2016, 09:10 AM
Expected and definitely the right thing to do, but still rough seeing the actual words or hearing it.

beguilingeyes
03-11-2016, 09:55 AM
Newbie here...first actual post in a discussion.
I happen to also be a huge fan of Queen....
After Freddie Mercurys death they tried to carry on as Queen + Paul Rogers
Didn't go over so well ...
After a little break they added the kid from American Idol...

I'm a huge Queen fan too..first band I ever saw in 1977. I saw them ten times with Freddie altogether. I really enjoyed the Paul Rodgers thing. He was _so_ different that it worked and he's a legend in his own right. I loved all the Free/Bad Co stuff they did on that tour. Seeing Brian May play Fire and Water was a thrill, although it did sadden me that a large chunk of the Queen audience didn't seem to know who he was. A couple of people near me wondered why they were doing 'Alright Now'.

Now though..I just wish they'd stop. Brian and Roger need to give it up now. It's not like neither of them has a reasonable solo career if they should choose (especially Roger). The Adam Lambert thing I just find embarrasing.

Mikeb71
03-11-2016, 10:54 AM
I'd be ok if they did some kind of one off tribute show where various folks filled in on Glenn's parts - but to go back on the road and call it an Eagles tour? No thanks.

Sad to hear, but I'm glad Henley confirmed what we expected.

Girl From Yesterday
03-11-2016, 12:30 PM
I'm a huge Queen fan too..first band I ever saw in 1977. I saw them ten times with Freddie altogether. I really enjoyed the Paul Rodgers thing. He was _so_ different that it worked and he's a legend in his own right. I loved all the Free/Bad Co stuff they did on that tour. Seeing Brian May play Fire and Water was a thrill, although it did sadden me that a large chunk of the Queen audience didn't seem to know who he was. A couple of people near me wondered why they were doing 'Alright Now'.

Now though..I just wish they'd stop. Brian and Roger need to give it up now. It's not like neither of them has a reasonable solo career if they should choose (especially Roger). The Adam Lambert thing I just find embarrasing.

Agreed ! I love Paul Rogers, in fact taking my son to see Joe Walsh and Bad Company in May.
I liked that collaboration.
The Adam Lambert thing is an embarrassment to me too and nd sadly I feel part of the reason he is there is due to his huge fan base who make up a huge part of their audience now.I suspect alot of it is all about the dollar bills .Sadly, all good things must come to an end and Bri and Rog need to just put it to rest.,,they are not and will never be Queen again. I respect John Deacon for acknowledging that .
That's why I'm sad, but ok with the Eagles ending on a good note rather than turning it into a sad reminder that the Eagles are no longer the Eagles .Some things just need to be left alone .
But that's just me !

Funk 50
03-11-2016, 02:25 PM
If Roger and Brian's current Queen show is performed to half empty venues, I'm sure they'll both consider wrapping it all up but if there is still a demand to see them, I don't see a problem with them continuing. They obviously still love doing it and what elseare they gonna do? the audiences still seem to to love it too. Remember, attendance is optional, you can completely ignore them if you wish. You'd have to be a bit of a grump to spoil their fun.

Same for the Eagles. If Irving is still employed as the Eagles manager, he's kinda obliged to present them with projects to consider. There is a question of authenticity but the Eagles regularly changed line ups throughout their career.

I'm sure the Eagles fans in the 70s would have been firmly against the band appearing on stage with the comfort blanket of a huge team of backing musicians but it hasn't affected their popularity or sale-ability.

Both Don and Joe have said, they hope that their best material is in front of them. They'll certainly get more new music done working separately rather than as a team but I almost expect Irving to have them all, including Tim and Bernie, together again at some point in the future.

I can see a demand for the considered, Hotel California tour that Henley talked about. J.D. Souther was the prime writer of New Kid In Town, so he could stand in for Glenn as Jackson did at the Grammys. I presume they had considered some options for Meisner's Try And Love Again. Felder may even be considering a Hotel California anniversary tour of his own.

It's still much too close to Glenn's loss for serious consideration.

shunlvswx
03-11-2016, 04:34 PM
I'm not surprise that its over. I'm surprised one of the guys finally talked about losing Glenn. I thought we won't hear anything in interviews from any of them until later (like months down the road). I guess with Don doing the Hyde Park with Carole King and having that interview with BBC, it was bound to come out.

Anyway. I'm still hoping Don, Joe and Timothy still do the Kennedy Center Honors in December. As of right now(I haven't heard anything), its still on for the surviving members and they will get their honors properly in December. So "IF" the guys still do Kennedy Center Honors, that's probably going to be the last time we ever see those three together. "IF" they're not going to do the Kennedy Center Honors, then the Grammys was the last time we ever see them together or performing. "IF" they still do the KCH, it will be very bittersweet knowing Glenn isn't there and they postponed their honor to this year so Glenn could be there. :weep:

Freypower
03-11-2016, 05:14 PM
If Roger and Brian's current Queen show is performed to half empty venues, I'm sure they'll both consider wrapping it all up but if there is still a demand to see them, I don't see a problem with them continuing. They obviously still love doing it and what elseare they gonna do? the audiences still seem to to love it too. Remember, attendance is optional, you can completely ignore them if you wish. You'd have to be a bit of a grump to spoil their fun.

Same for the Eagles. If Irving is still employed as the Eagles manager, he's kinda obliged to present them with projects to consider. There is a question of authenticity but the Eagles regularly changed line ups throughout their career.

I'm sure the Eagles fans in the 70s would have been firmly against the band appearing on stage with the comfort blanket of a huge team of backing musicians but it hasn't affected their popularity or sale-ability.

Both Don and Joe have said, they hope that their best material is in front of them. They'll certainly get more new music done working separately rather than as a team but I almost expect Irving to have them all, including Tim and Bernie, together again at some point in the future.

I can see a demand for the considered, Hotel California tour that Henley talked about. J.D. Souther was the prime writer of New Kid In Town, so he could stand in for Glenn as Jackson did at the Grammys. I presume they had considered some options for Meisner's Try And Love Again. Felder may even be considering a Hotel California anniversary tour of his own.

It is not 'fun' without Glenn. Once again you completely underestimate his importance. He may have meant nothing to you, but for millions he cannot be replaced. This is not just another 'lineup change'.

I do not see Irving as obliged to do anything. The band doesn't exist any more, it's that simple. I don't know why it is so hard to understand.

Furthermore Henley clearly stated in his interview that there would now be no Hotel California tour. Argue this all you wish; it is certainly your right to do so. I won't respond to any future posts of this type.

travlnman2
03-11-2016, 05:49 PM
It is not 'fun' without Glenn. Once again you completely underestimate his importance. He may have meant nothing to you, but for millions he cannot be replaced. This is not just another 'lineup change'.

I do not see Irving as obliged to do anything. The band doesn't exist any more, it's that simple. I don't know why it is so hard to understand.

Furthermore Henley clearly stated in his interview that there would now be no Hotel California tour. Argue this all you wish; it is certainly your right to do so. I won't respond to any future posts of this type.

UMM THAT"S A LITTLE HARSH DON"T YOU THINK. IT's STILL TO EARLY TO DECIDE. There will not be anymore albums or tours as THE EAGLES that is clear. But what Funk 50 suggested is like a tribute concert as I see it so no reason to get so emotional over a post that was just speculating. Plus Henley said I don't think or I think so there is that IF. Look at Led Zeppelin they broke up after John Bonham's death and that situation is very similar to what the Eagles are going through right now. But when they did reunite in 07 they had John Bonham's son Jason on the drums and played with the utter most respect and he is the only person who can ever play in place of John. So if the guys ever decided to do that one off they need to find someone who can play glens parts without disrespect and I think it should be either Jackson Browne or JD Souther. But we don't know.

Freypower
03-11-2016, 06:11 PM
UMM THAT"S A LITTLE HARSH DON"T YOU THINK. IT's STILL TO EARLY TO DECIDE. There will not be anymore albums or tours as THE EAGLES that is clear. But what Funk 50 suggested is like a tribute concert as I see it so no reason to get so emotional over a post that was just speculating. Plus Henley said I don't think or I think so there is that IF. Look at Led Zeppelin they broke up after John Bonham's death and that situation is very similar to what the Eagles are going through right now. But when they did reunite in 07 they had John Bonham's son Jason on the drums and played with the utter most respect and he is the only person who can ever play in place of John. So if the guys ever decided to do that one off they need to find someone who can play glens parts without disrespect and I think it should be either Jackson Browne or JD Souther. But we don't know.

He didn't suggest a tribute concert. He suggested, as he has done several times, that the band continue. Please read the paragraph above the Hotel California tour paragraph again. Read the first paragraph again. Also, a Hotel California tour would not be a 'tribute' and I repeat, Henley unequivocally stated 'that won't be happening now'. That was a separate statement to 'I don't think we'll play together again'.

It is not just about playing Glenn's parts. It is about SINGING them.

Am I emotional about this? Damn right.

UndertheWire
03-11-2016, 07:48 PM
I'll start with the obvious - having a band member die when you're nearly seventy is very different to when you're in your forties. It's a reminder to make the most of their remaining time.

They probably all feel pretty emotional about it, including Azoff. My impression is that he was very close with Glenn in later years as they shared interests beyond the band. They don't have the luxury of time to get over it.

Then there's their reputation. That's important to Don. Going out at the top rather than limping along with a substitute.

Besides, Irving will still be working with their catalogue, looking for new ways to exploit it.

Tori
03-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Then there's their reputation. That's important to Don. Going out at the top rather than limping along with a substitute.

100% agree with this. A tribute concert could happen in the future, maybe. IMO those kinds of one-off things aren't out of the realm of possibility. Touring, new material, anything as "Eagles"? Hell no. As said before, this is way more than just a lineup change.

L101
03-11-2016, 08:10 PM
Maybe this might help some people realise that the Eagles are over :sad:

http://bestclassicbands.com/don-henley-says-eagles-wont-perform-again-3-11-16/

As a side note, if Irving wants to exploit the back catalogue, I think a box set of all their tours would be good (it's probably good guess that they recorded all of their tours over the years..)

Prettymaid
03-11-2016, 08:52 PM
I'll start with the obvious - having a band member die when you're nearly seventy is very different to when you're in your forties.

Thanks for posting this. It's what comes to my mind every time someone suggests that they continue like (insert band's name here) did.

I knew the Eagles were over on January 18. After listening to Don Henley's latest interview, for those of us who wanted closure by seeing them pay tribute to Glenn, it appears that the Grammy performance was it. I guess if it's good enough for them, it's got to be good enough for me.

Girl From Yesterday
03-11-2016, 11:21 PM

Lol..I'm far from a grump, and I do basically ignore them....but that's just my opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
I look at it as music is subjective.Not everyone is going to like the way a certain groups music sounds and I'm cool with that.
I might even like the collaboration they might come up with.
I guess my point is that if it doesn't appeal to me I'm not going to listen to it.
Heck, I gave the Paul Rogers collab a chance and I liked it !
We will just have to wait and see what transpires in the future I guess.

chaim
03-12-2016, 01:21 AM
IMHO the way we look at rock/pop musicians (as opposed to other professions) is distorted. When other people have been retired for a few years we expect rock/pop musicians to renew their careers with even more innovation and excitement. Even if Glenn was still alive (IMO) it would be selfish of me to expect them to continue for a few more years. They have other lives too - the Eagles is just part of it. And they are approaching seventy!

Rock fans just want more, more, more and we expect "our band" to be the most important part of the band members' lives too even when they are seventy. When most people have been retired for ten years we expect rock musicians to spend time together thinking how they can make the band they formed 40-50 years ago even better. We are spending time with our own families, while expecting our heroes to be away from their families, still playing music together as a gang.

When the original KISS reunited in the mid-90's, it was great seeing them together again for a while, even though they weren't very good. Instead of remembering that era with a smile many KISS fans speculate whether Criss and/or Frehley will join the band AGAIN. More, more, more.

And now the leader of a band that was formed over forty years ago is dead and we still expect them to continue? I'm not saying that we shouldn't want rock/pop musicians who are way past retirement age to continue. I'm saying that we shouldn't expect it.

Funk 50
03-12-2016, 04:44 AM
If the Eagles decide to work together again, under any moniker, I'd be delighted.

Henley's comments, on the BBC, about the Eagles future were considerably less definite than, the Eagles will reunite when Hell Freezes Over.

I don't underestimate the importance of Glenn to the Eagles but it's a fact of life, nobody is irreplaceable.

Thanks for the cheery reply, Girl From Yesterday :grin:

I know it's a terrible time for Frey fans but I live in the hope that, what's to come is going to be better than what's past.

buffyfan145
03-12-2016, 11:17 AM
Actually had a conversation with my family about this last night as my Mom saw the article on FB and asked if I did. I told her yes and figured what Don said was the case. My Mom was really sad about it and in a way I think she was hoping they'd continue. My Dad though agreed with me and said it'd be crazy if The Eagles continued without Glenn. He brought up too about how that time before HFO when they tried to reunite but Glenn backed out. My Dad simply said "No Glenn = No Eagles". My brother too was a bit surprised as we're so used to all these older bands finding other singers and still going out there (and in some cases they should retire) and he wondered if they'd do the same. So I just thought it was interesting that my family was so evenly split on this.

TimFan222
03-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Has anyone else seen this?? Is it for real??

DivineDon
03-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Is what for real? That they were talking about touring the Hotel California album? - yeah, that's what Don said in the interview - would've been brilliant!

03-12-2016, 01:11 PM
I agree with most everyone here. If you look through the almost 15 pages of this thread, the comments are overwhelmingly that the band would/should not continue without Glenn. I think most of us are very sad the Eagles are over and don’t want it to be true, but at the same time, also do not believe they should go on. For me, rather naively, never in a million years did I figure the band would end with the death of one of its band members. I think the suddenness of Glenn’s death makes it especially hard. I honestly didn’t expect the band to go on much longer, but I had envisioned them going out in fine style with a few big farewell shows. To see them take the stage and perform a solemn tribute at the Grammy’s instead was very painful for me, yet, I’m glad they did it. So, yes, there are still a lot of conflicting emotions.

I also totally agree that if these guys were in their 30’s or 40’s that many of us may feel differently, especially with some passage of time. But, the reality is they are not. I personally don’t believe we will ever see the Eagles as an ongoing recording or touring act again nor do I want to. However, the remaining members will probably reunite for certain occasions such as the Kennedy Center Honors and, hopefully, a tribute concert for Glenn. If they do any other special events, perhaps Glenn’s son, Deacon, would be included. However, I can only say whatever the future holds in terms of joint appearances for them, I highly doubt that I will ever be able to describe the emotions I will feel as ‘delighted’. As a matter of fact, I personally find that term to be rather offensive used in this context. I think for me, it would be extremely bittersweet at best.

Freypower
03-12-2016, 05:02 PM
If the Eagles decide to work together again, under any moniker, I'd be delighted.

Henley's comments, on the BBC, about the Eagles future were considerably less definite than, the Eagles will reunite when Hell Freezes Over.

I don't underestimate the importance of Glenn to the Eagles but it's a fact of life, nobody is irreplaceable.

I know it's a terrible time for Frey fans but I live in the hope that, what's to come is going to be better than what's past.

He was irreplaceable. At least he was to me. You just brush him aside.

I also agree with Dreamer on your use of the word 'delighted'. It is the second time you have used this word. You seem to be implying that .... 'well, that's that out of the way'. You have no idea, apparently, how Glenn Frey's fans feel about this, even if you threw in the words 'terrible time'as an afterthought. Your comment that what may come next may be 'better than what's past' beggars belief.

L101
03-12-2016, 07:55 PM

I mustn't have heard the same interview on the BBC as you F50, as I definitely heard "No More Eagles"!! They barely managed at the Grammys and you expect them to just up and start playing again like nothing happened...

Sadly, the proposed HC tour was going to be their final farewell but now that can never happen, but can I be around if you decide to pitch it to Don Henley that they replace Glenn with someone else and start touring ?? It's not like they misplaced a guitar or a shoe ..... or something equally as absurd as your comment.

As for the future, only Don, Joe and Timothy know what will happen and it will never be better than what's past

Midnight Visitor
03-13-2016, 10:45 AM
I for one am happy they're shutting it down. I believe the History of the Eagles documentary and tour were the perfect ending for a nearly perfect career. When I watch the documentary now and see young Don say, "We can't do this forever" and young Glenn says, "You can't?" I now answer, "Yes, you can Glenn!" And he did. Damn near to the very end. What a life he had! I've heard people say things like; replace him with Jackson, replace him with his son! No, it was Glenn's band and there is NO replacing Glenn. They had the most incredible run ever and that thrills me.

Now, Joe and the others can pursue their own music. They're free to spend their old age any way they want to. I'm sure we'll see different ones playing with each other here and there. It's time to celebrate their amazing achievement!

maryc2130
03-13-2016, 11:35 AM
I don't think you can replace Glenn. In fact I know you can't. If it had happened differently, I don't think Don H. would be replaceable, either, and at this stage in the game, I'd say the same for Joe.

I got the idea behind "No one is irreplaceable," but I think there's replacing and there's downgrading. Maybe there are better singers out there, better songwriters, better guitar players, but there is NO one better at being an Eagle, and the band would not in any way be the same. We saw just a taste of that at the Grammys. And I can't even imagine why anyone would think it would be better than what's past. *shaking head in disbelief*

All that being said, I would love to see some kind of a tribute concert/mini-tour. Maybe we should all write to Don about giving the fans a chance to say goodbye.

03-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Thanks everyone for these last few posts. I couldn't have said it better and as a matter of fact, I didn't. You are all right - not everyone is replaceable and the idea that the Eagles sans Glenn will produce music in the future that is superior to what they did at their creative peak is pure fantasy land.

All that being said, I would love to see some kind of a tribute concert/mini-tour. Maybe we should all write to Don about giving the fans a chance to say goodbye.

Mary, I loved your post and ever since I heard Don's comments in the BBC interview, I have been thinking about this too. Perhaps, it would be a great idea for us fans to write all the remaining members of the band and Irving either collectively or individually and urge them to plan a tribute concert for Glenn. I agree Eagles fans need this and maybe we could help them realize how much it would mean to us. Let's do it - I'm going to start working on a letter to send.

NYC Fan
03-13-2016, 12:41 PM
I agree that they should not go on without Glenn. Glenn and Don were the yin and yang of the Eagles. There is no Eagles without both of them.

I would also like if they did some sort of tribute concert to Glenn. It would be a nice way to honor him and his legacy, and also give the fans a chance to express their appreciation.

But to continue touring as the Eagles? I would not personally want that to happen. It would just be too sad and painful to see.

timfan
03-13-2016, 12:53 PM
In terms of Glenn IMO it goes without saying that he's beyond irreplaceable within the band; as their leader, a singer/musician, and the force that drove them. The Eagles book is closed and as sad as Don's words make me I'm glad he has addressed their future so promptly.

However I actually don't think at this stage of their careers they would've replaced any of the current Eagles members. An example: if Timothy had been unable to recover or perform after his cancer treatment a few years ago IMO that would've been the end of the band (thankfully it wasn't). I believe this for a few reasons not the least of which is Don and Glenn always strove for authentic perfection and giving their fans an amazing show. This took a lot of work and achieving band dynamics/balance was not an easy task.

buffyfan145
03-13-2016, 03:50 PM
About a hopeful tribute concert I totally agree and really hope they are planning one. I too feel like we as fans need this. I assumed they were since comparing it to the George Harrison tribute concert "The Concert for George" that was held exactly a year after he passed I thought this might be similar. It does take awhile to get these organized. With David Bowie's next month in New York apparently David had it in his will so it's been in the works for awhile, but with Glenn I would imagine it'd be similar to George's and others.

beguilingeyes
03-14-2016, 11:13 AM
I would love to see a Tribute concert. I was lucky enough to be at the George Harrison one ( and the Freddie Mercury one) and it's a fitting way to say goodbye and thanks. I like to think that the Eagles are classy enough to avoid the 'flogging a dead horse' route (I'm looking at _you_ Brian May).

Brooke
03-14-2016, 01:43 PM
I would like to see something, but I'm not sure if I want to see anyone else performing Glenn's parts.

Many have mentioned the guys doing the tribute concert themselves. Is that what most want? Is that the way the Bowie concert will be, with the rest of his band performing or are other musicians/bands doing the performing? Am I wrong or do most tributes happen this way? I'm not familiar with how they do these. It seems to me most tributes are done by other bands with the band members that are left in the audience. What do you think?

No matter how long, it may be just too painful for the remaining guys to do the performing.

Maybe this should be a new thread? I will start it!

Topkat
03-14-2016, 04:59 PM
The tribute to George Harrison was an amazing show, which featured all his friends, & he had some mighty talented friends. As I remember Paul, Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Prince, Jagger, Tom Petty & many other famous faces up there. They even included his son & he played guitar with them. This was a few years after his death, I'm pretty sure, not right afterwards.

If a tribute is done for Glenn I would hope it would be similar.
It was a celebration of his life & his songs, not a memorial.

Midnight Visitor
03-15-2016, 10:04 AM
The Bowie concert is something they do yearly. 12th annual. However, this year it became a memorial show. A few of his band mates will be performing. Mostly other artists are performing.

Girl From Yesterday
03-15-2016, 12:28 PM
I would love to see a Tribute concert. I was lucky enough to be at the George Harrison one ( and the Freddie Mercury one) and it's a fitting way to say goodbye and thanks. I like to think that the Eagles are classy enough to avoid the 'flogging a dead horse' route (I'm looking at _you_ Brian May).

I think we are on the same page ...I do agree with you .. But I do understand that many others feel differently and totally respect that .
I envy you I understand correctly that you were at the Freddie Mercury and George Harrison tributes ....

SilverAcidRayne
03-15-2016, 03:38 PM
I did read about this... breaks my heart. I knew it was gonna happen most of us did. But I think it is definitely the right thing to do. He is absolutely irreplaceable. :cry: