PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Glenn Frey

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

AlreadyGone95
02-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Saw this on Facebook.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a552/kim_dixon2/Mobile%20Uploads/12491941_10153761445205225_5191345837290590983_o_z psme5foyt4.jpg

Tiffanny Twisted
02-07-2016, 02:03 PM
I'm still the same way!! I love to watch him in videos, pictures, but reading about him is another story!! I still want to think of him as being here with us rather than hearing about his "departure". I will still love this man no matter what!!

I think we can all agree with your post

As I have said in another post,
I am heart broken he is gone
But its a blessing to be able to watch him at his best .
And the documentation and interviews out if his own mouth....its a blessing that we have it all

The ones who I feel for here is his family .
Having lost so many in my lifetime its hard to lose your father,brother ,husband , son ,uncle best friend .....you get my point .
He was all of that to others first
Its just so sad

Ive always been a dreamer
02-07-2016, 02:10 PM
I agree, TT. I've said this before, but I can't get his family, bandmates, and close friends out of my mind. They must be going through an incredible amount of pain and grief and my heart just aches for them.

And love that drawing of our angel.

Tiffanny Twisted
02-07-2016, 02:27 PM
Yes kay its hard for so very many people.

wasl89
02-07-2016, 03:53 PM
I was devastated when I heard the news, couldn't believe it! It's still unbelievable that Glenn isn't around anymore. I found comfort in reading, listening and watching Eagles material.

sodascouts
02-07-2016, 05:41 PM
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a552/kim_dixon2/Mobile%20Uploads/12491941_10153761445205225_5191345837290590983_o_z psme5foyt4.jpgThanks to Eric Goggin for his permission to share his lovely drawing on the board.

Brooke
02-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Fantastic drawing! Thank you for sharing!

NKIT was playing on my radio when it woke me up this morning! And Strange Weather was playing in my subconscious before I woke up!

02-08-2016, 01:33 PM
I wanted to post this yesterday since it was Super Bowl Sunday, but I didn't get a chance. Here is a tribute from Chris Berman of ESPN to Glenn from a couple of weeks ago ...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14636644

Outlawman13
02-08-2016, 02:36 PM
That was so cool to see Glenn like that!! LOL loved his choice phrases!! Thanks for sharing Dreamer

Glennhoney
02-08-2016, 06:31 PM
I wanted to post this yesterday since it was Super Bowl Sunday, but I didn't get a chance. Here is a tribute from Chris Berman of ESPN to Glenn from a couple of weeks ago ...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14636644
..love this...thanks for sharing...treasure stuff like this..:heart:

Freypower
02-08-2016, 07:04 PM
Well , I saw the latest Rolling Stone Magazine today. They decided on David Bowie as the Cover. Glenn has a one page re: his death and then there is a 2 page article about the Eagles.

http://www.rollingstone.com/latestissue

I think it would have been nice to have 2 covers. One of Bowie and one of Glenn. Then people could buy/choose the Rolling Stone Mag. they want. But alas, RStone didn't ask me!!

pft.

We have our answer as to what RS's next cover would be. It's Chris Martin of Coldplay.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/coldplays-chris-martin-gets-personal-inside-the-new-issue-20160208

Oh well.

02-09-2016, 12:47 PM
AFAIC, this is an inexcusable travesty. Rolling Stone could/should have bumped the Coldplay story until the next issue and did a cover story on Glenn. At the very least, they could have done a split cover for David Bowie and Glenn. But, I guess I shouldn't be totally shocked - they've never given the Eagles the respect they deserve. I wrote a comment over on the site - not that it'll do any good other than let me vent. I debated whether or not to post it here, but decided to go for it.

This post has nothing to do with Coldplay or Chris Martin and I mean no disrespect to them. Since your last cover story was appropriately a tribute to David Bowie, I was fully expecting that this cover story would be a tribute to the legendary Glenn Frey, who passed away on January 18th. I am absolutely outraged that Rolling Stone would snub such an iconic and legendary entertainer. I know that Rolling Stone and the Eagles never had a love affair with one another, but, I would have expected that you could have shown this man the respect he deserves in death. No other American band represents the 70's the way the Eagles do and to diminish their accomplishments is an insult to many of us baby boomers that grew up listening to their music. I guess Mr. Frey just wasn't cool enough to grace your cover. Shame on you!

May you rest in external peace, Glenn Frey - Your contribution to the music world will soar like an Eagle forever.

MaryCalifornia
02-09-2016, 01:01 PM
I honestly think that everyone (including journalists) is still coming to grips with the fact that Glenn has died and the enormity of what it means and what his impact was. I do not want a hastily thrown-together tribute in any medium. I don't mind waiting a couple of months so it can be done properly, which I fully expect RS to do.

02-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Well - I have to admit, I'm a bit skeptical, MC, but I certainly hope you are right. As the driving force behind what is widely considered to be America's greatest band, he certainly deserves more from them.

02-09-2016, 01:48 PM
Now - on a brighter note, there are still a lot of tributes that haven't been posted in this thread yet. I figured I'll just post them one at a time, so as not to inundate everyone. Here's one that focuses on Glenn, the actor ...

http://highlighthollywood.com/2016/01/remembering-glenn-freys-contribution-to-acting-film-and-tv-by-steven-brittingham-highlight-hollywood-news/

Remembering Glenn Frey’s Contribution To Acting, Film And TV, By Steven Brittingham, Highlight Hollywood News

January 31, 2016
Written By: Steven Brittingham, Contributing Editor
HighlightHollywood.com

http://highlighthollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_0400-300x161.jpg

As the Paramount Pictures studio logo embraced the big screen with its trademark blue skies, white clouds, and those white stars all connected in unison hovering over a mountain landscape off in the distance, those chomping on buttered popcorn in the darkened movie theater were starting to get very excited. All of them were anxiously awaiting for the movie to begin. Suddenly, a rather hypnotic piece of music was now being heard floating throughout the packed theater. The fading Paramount logo was now replaced with the opening credits, along with that pulsating music which continued to expand towards a rather feverish boiling point. Louder, louder, louder. Boom! A raging saxophone exploded with sound, energetic beating drums and smooth guitar playing only added to the excitement for those popcorn eating audience members.

The only thing smoother than the guitar playing, was the pleasant sounding voice of the singer. The song continued onwards as the streets of Detroit started to come alive up on the big screen, venturing from downtown areas to those poverty stricken sections, and not to be excluded were various rundown buildings which now seemed scattered everywhere. It’s clear this movie might be in the wrong side of town, but the warm sounds of the singer’s voice eased the audience with reassurances that perhaps thrilling comedic mayhem was just around the bend. In the early days of winter in December of 1984, the weather was extra chilly outside this theater complex, but thanks to the singer’s tone, Eagles founding member Glenn Frey was making sure “The Heat Is On”. Indeed it was on, for only moments later a large tractor-trailer loaded with illegal Lucky Strike cigarettes would be smashing its way down neighborhood roads, pulverizing parked vehicles along the way. As the semi reached the busy streets on the outskirts of Detroit, a fleet of police was now seen in hot pursuit. In the back of this truck, holding on for dear life, was rising star Eddie Murphy, playing wise cracking undercover cop Axel Foley, who moments earlier attempted an undercover bust of those darn cigarette smugglers. ‘Beverly Hills Cop’ would go on to become a huge blockbuster for Paramount, taking Murphy to major stardom. The title song for the movie, ‘The Heat Is On”, would shoot up quickly on the Billboard charts. Glenn Frey’s song was so good it felt like Glenn was actually appearing in the film himself. Just a few months later, this master songwriter and one of the lead vocals for the sweet sound that is known as the Eagles, would be appearing on the small screen as a pilot on NBC’s ‘Miami Vice’.

http://highlighthollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/frey-glenn-1024x576.jpg (http://highlighthollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/frey-glenn.jpg)

On January 18, after a courageous battle, the music world lost Glenn Frey to rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and complications from pneumonia. His contributions to music, both as Eagle and solo artist, would not perish and now lives on thankfully for all time. The enormously talented song writer with his easygoing style and soothing voice undeniably left his mark in music history. He didn’t stop there. Glenn Frey also left his mark in Hollywood, both as an actor and musician. In front of, as well as behind the scenes. Not surprising, considering his strong presence on stage while performing a live show or the artistic flair of capturing the depths of the human heart with this songwriting. Many of his songs have been included on television shows over the years, from ‘Miami Vice’ to ‘The Simpsons’, ‘Knight Rider’ to ‘Married with Children’, his music provided enough variety for all of these shows and many more. In fact, some of these episodes were centered entirely around one of Glenn’s songs, as a major theme for the episode. These impressive accomplishments aside, he made some appearances as an actor too and brought that magnificent stage presence with him transforming it into magnificent screen presence.

http://highlighthollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_0401.jpg (http://highlighthollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_0401.jpg)

Hollywood started to realize back in the ’80s that a song and movie can be a fantastic combo. Even reaching super-sized combo status, as many songs often became the symbol or heartbeat of the movie itself. These type of songs often gave singers and songwriters opportunities to bring their signature styles to a movie, or perhaps to take different approaches and explore the meanings behind the production. Hollywood starting to crank these out at a fast pace, even making films that were entirely based on a singer or an album, such as the case with the Warner Bros. film ‘Purple Rain’, which centered on the music of Prince. The majority of the music for ‘Purple Rain’ was handled by Prince himself. This was also an excellent marketing tool for the studios. What is ‘ROCKY III’ without Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger” theme song? Although ‘Beverly Hills Cop’ contained an electrifying soundtrack, Frey’s title track clearly set the tone for the rest of the film.

http://highlighthollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_0274.jpg (http://highlighthollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_0274.jpg)

After the release of Frey’s edgy solo piece ‘Smuggler’s Blues’, a new show over on NBC titled ‘Miami Vice’ was quickly making waves as being fashionably hip and decided to air an episode built around the song. Episode number fifteen is named after the song, also making it be an essential element to the storyline. Crockett ( Don Johnson) and Tubbs ( Philip Michael Thomas) are in need of a pilot to transport them undercover into Colombia. Enter a guitar playing pilot played by Frey and Miami’s coolest detectives are ready for take off. A few years later Frey was back on the small screen in the well received ‘Wiseguy’ series for CBS, as Bobby Travis. He appeared in over 7 episodes, and ‘Wiseguy’ showed that he could hold his own in front of the camera. CBS took notice and developed a show with Frey as the lead portraying a former chief of security for a major film studio, who has walked away to start his own private detective agency. Sounds promising, doesn’t it? Unfortunately, ‘South of Sunset’ (1993) would air only once. After the pilot aired, CBS was disappointed with the Nielsen rating results, which at the time had the lowest debut in major network television history. Despite a promising premise and even some positive feedback, the show was not given a chance to expand its audience and was quickly cancelled. There was additional episodes filmed, none hit the airwaves but they can currently be seen on YouTube. Back to the recording studio for Glenn, but not for too long.

http://highlighthollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_0399-1024x775.png (http://highlighthollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_0399.png)

Glenn would go on to appear in the film ‘Jerry Maguire’ (1996) along with Tom Cruise, followed by a reunion with Don Johnson on his new show for CBS titled ‘Nash Bridges’.
Chances are Glenn Frey had the full potential to do even more acting projects, but after all, his musical talents required a great deal of his time and efforts. The image of Don Henley without Glenn Frey sharing the stage seems inconceivable. Each complimented the other in so many aspects, each often sang together resulting in that phenomenal sound that is known as the Eagles. Frey also co-wrote a song specifically written with ‘Miami Vice’ in mind. The mesmerizing rhythm of ‘You Belong To The City’ captured the spirit of the ever popular ‘Miami Vice’. With its sincere lyrics and pulsating sounds, all one has to do is listen to Glenn Frey sing the song to realize you are drawn completely in, as so often the case with Frey, one believes what he is singing as truth. That is one of the highest compliments a singer can ever hope to receive. He may have belonged to the city, but thanks to an amazing career in both music and film, he now belongs to each of us.

http://highlighthollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_0402.jpg (http://highlighthollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_0402.jpg)

Brooke
02-09-2016, 03:44 PM
Wonderful tribute! Thanks Dreamer!

NightMistBlue
02-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Jack Mack & the Heart Attack have a fond tribute to Glenn on their home page, and talk about their experience of being discovered by him at Club Lingerie and having him produce their first album. http://www.jackmack.com/

Freypower
02-09-2016, 04:39 PM
I honestly think that everyone (including journalists) is still coming to grips with the fact that Glenn has died and the enormity of what it means and what his impact was. I do not want a hastily thrown-together tribute in any medium. I don't mind waiting a couple of months so it can be done properly, which I fully expect RS to do.

MC, I have subscribed to RS for years, and they do the tribute immediately. They don't wait. Most of what they considered their tirbute was on the website. I think it's highly unlikely they are going to go back later on. They were able to put Bowie's tribute together quckly & the same should have applied to Glenn.

AlreadyGone95
02-09-2016, 05:21 PM
I love that tribute to Glenn's acting career. I still have yet to watch Wiseguy or Jerry McGuire.

I looked for the latest copy of RS last week. Neither Books-A-Million nor Walmart had it. I hoped that RS would've done more for Glenn, but I guess that since Bowie is more well known as an individual, RS thought that their subscribers may have cared about him more.

Even though RS neglected Glenn, just look at all of the other tributes pouring in!

buffyfan145
02-09-2016, 05:36 PM
Love that article about his acting!!! :D After finally watching his "Wiseguy" arc and already having seen him on "Miami Vice" and "Jerry Maguire" I totally agree with it. He was a great actor. About Rolling Stone they did post so many articles online, as did Entertainment Weekly. Most view the web articles more than actually subscribe so I feel like they did. However, I'm still hoping the Grammys announce their tribute performance. They did say they were working on it and have already announced who's performing for David Bowie's, B.B. King's, Lemmy from Motorhead, and now one for Lionel Richie (he's getting that Music Cares Award). I've already commented on a few articles and the Grammys are getting a lot of tweets about Glenn and they need to announce something soon. It won't be right if they don't do one.

Brooke
02-09-2016, 05:37 PM
How Rolling Stone can pretty much ignore a member of America's greatest band I cannot fathom. But, they've never supported them like they should so what do we expect? And it was pretty much mutual except for Cameron Crow.

SilverAcidRayne
02-09-2016, 06:11 PM
I kind of stopped following them when they had the boston bomber on their cover. I then realized they were no longer about the music.

Jonny Come Lately
02-09-2016, 06:38 PM
Count me as another one annoyed by Glenn getting passed over for the RS cover. Although I can understand why they'd perhaps argue that it was normal procedure to cover all deaths, the death of David Bowie was such a massive story as he'd just released an album (featuring the song Lazarus, whose lyrics and videos was foreshadowing his imminent passing) that I think they could have justified making an exception to the usual rule, there really haven't been many times when two such big stars have died so close to each other.

I am especially irritated that Glenn has been ignored in favour of what sounds like a rather gossipy article about Chris Martin, especially in light of Coldplay's Super Bowl performance where every review I've read said they comprehensively upstaged by Beyoncé, and I thought the photos I've seen of Martin singing and dancing on stage looked cringeworthy, like he was trying way too hard to 'fit in'. I have to admit I used to like Coldplay, but they now cheese me off to the point where I'm actually kind of embarrassed that I used to like them (thanks to the internet I do know that many fans of the earlier, more thoughtful music which I prefer are also alienated by the band's shift to music that sounds like everything else in the charts. This is getting too personal now so I digress).

Sadly though, as Mark Knopfler sang fairly recently, 'It's too late you dabblers, it's all too late'...

On the bright side, at least Glenn did get some decent features on the RS website, and I enjoyed reading the article about his acting career as I didn't really know that much about it apart from his appearance in Miami Vice.

LuvTim
02-09-2016, 06:45 PM
Jack Mack & the Heart Attack have a fond tribute to Glenn on their home page, and talk about their experience of being discovered by him at Club Lingerie and having him produce their first album. http://www.jackmack.com/

Wow! So great! What a sweetheart our Glenn was, and how nice to get to read that story. Thanks, NMB! :-)

LuvTim
02-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Wonderful tribute! Thanks Dreamer!

Agreed, B. Thanks, dreamer! :-)

Glennsallnighter
02-09-2016, 06:49 PM
I guess here is as good a place as any to post this. Because for me it was all about Glenn :heart: anyway.

I had googled Glenn Frey the previous fall and had found Glennfreyonline. It was an absolute Aladins Cave of information about him which I eagerly devoured.

But this night 9 years ago when I checked out the website I found the Border as a link. I pressed it and started to read some posts. I was hooked! Once I wanted to answer a post I created an account and well the rest is history.

So today is my Borderversary but I never thought for one minute any other year how sad this one would be with my hero gone.

Thank you Soda for creating this wonderful site, for giving me opportunities that I never thought existed. And most of all for being my friend.

Thanks too to everyone else for making the Border simply the best Eagles fansite in the world

LuvTim
02-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Happy Borderversary, GAN, even under these sad circumstances. Hugs.

sodascouts
02-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Yes, happy Borderversary to you, GA. You have enriched this board and our lives!

It's a shame about Rolling Stone, I agree, but Glenn never sought their approval. I'm still ticked off about it, though.

That acting tribute was cool, but the guy could have credited my site for those screenshots. Instead he credits Google! Um, that's the search engine you used, not the source! Oh well. It's not a huge deal; just a little annoying. I'm glad he wrote such a nice piece for Glenn.

Has JD Souther's statement on his official site (http://www.jdsouther.net/index.htm?inc=5&news_id=21615) been posted yet? I thought it was moving even in its relative brevity. He states:

Glenn Frey was my first songwriting partner and best friend when we set out to realize our dreams of making great music in Los Angeles. Our first year together will always seem like yesterday to me. His amazing capacity for the big joke and that brilliant groove that lived inside him are with me, even now, in this loss and sorrow. I will miss him every day but then…he is always here, isn’t he? I can’t say any more than that for now. The music and the love are indestructible.

Rest Quietly Dear Little Brother
You are greatly loved and missed
John David Souther

Outlawman13
02-09-2016, 11:35 PM
I am also ticked off by Rolling Stone for not doing a cover story on Glenn!! Love him to bits!! And happy border anniversary to you girl!!! I feel the same way about this site!! So much info and loving every single bit of it!!

UndertheWire
02-10-2016, 06:24 AM
Here's David Spero talking about the Party of Two and HFO tours. He adds colour to the stories and verges on being indiscreet. I hope he writes that book.

http://qfm96.com/mornings/former-joe-walsh-manager-david-spero/

UndertheWire
02-10-2016, 07:53 AM
I expect the Grammy show will get its own thread, but the announcement belongs in this thread, too. As a tribute, it seems almost perfect.

Eagles' Glenn Frey to be saluted by bandmates at Grammy Awards
Randy Lewis (http://www.latimes.com/la-bio-randy-lewis-staff.html#nt=byline)Contact Reporter

Eagles founding singer, songwriter and guitarist Glenn Frey (http://www.latimes.com/topic/entertainment/music/glenn-frey-PECLB001812-topic.html) will be saluted during Monday’s 58th Grammy Awards (http://www.latimes.com/topic/entertainment/music/grammy-awards-EVHST000012-topic.html) ceremony by his bandmates as well as close friend and songwriting collaborator Jackson (http://www.latimes.com/topic/entertainment/music/michael-jackson-PECLB002548-topic.html) Browne.
Don Henley (http://www.latimes.com/topic/entertainment/music/don-henley-PECLB002338-topic.html), Joe Walsh, Timothy B. Schmit and Bernie Leadon will join Browne to sing the Eagles’ first national hit, “Take It Easy,” the anthem of Southern California country rock that put the band on the map in 1972. The song was written by Browne and Frey, who died Jan. 17 at age 67 of rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia.

“We wanted something simple and elegant, and in discussing it with the family, we wanted an uptempo moment,” the Eagles' longtime manager, Irving Azoff, told The Times on Monday, noting the spate of deaths of high-profile musicians in recent weeks.

“We knew they were going to do something to honor Glenn, as they well should,” Azoff said, “and our band decided they’d like to participate in it rather than watch someone else do it.”
Grammy telecast executive producer Ken Ehrlich said, “Even in our desire to honor the legacy of this band, Glenn’s passing -- coming so close to the night of the show -- presented certain challenges. What is really gratifying is what the surviving members of the Eagles felt about the importance of honoring Glenn’s legacy by coming and appearing on the show.”
Although Leadon left the Eagles in 1975, at which time guitarist Walsh joined the group, he had reconnected with the band during its long-running History of the Eagles tour and had played “Take It Easy” with them in recent years.

Browne also recorded his own version of the song, which he credited Frey with helping him finish. Browne's version appeared on his 1973 album "For Everyman."
As Henley put it in the liner notes for “The Very Best of the Eagles” compilation in 2003, Frey “had a knack for remembering and choosing good songs. Jackson had shelved ‘Take It Easy’ because he couldn’t complete it, but it was Glenn who remembered the song from some time earlier.”

Frey explained that Browne's example had inspired him to apply a new level of commitment to his songwriting, which led to their work together on “Take It Easy.”
As Frey and Henley worked to start a band while sharing an apartment in L.A.'s Echo Park neighborhood in the early ‘70s, Frey said he often heard Browne, who lived in the apartment below, working relentlessly on his own songs.
“I had never really witnessed that sort of focus -- someone being that fastidious -- and it gave me a different idea about how to write songs; that maybe it wasn’t all just going to be a flood of inspiration,” Frey remembered. “That’s when I first heard 'Take It Easy.' "
Browne told Frey he’d gotten stuck at a certain point and sang the unfinished verse to Frey, who came up with the signature line, “It’s a girl, my lord, in a flatbed Ford, slowin’ down to take a look at me.”

“Jackson was so thrilled,” Frey recalled. “He said, ‘OK, we co-wrote this.’ But it’s certainly more of him.”
Said Ehrlich, “The choice was pretty unanimous. On our end, we would have been open to a number of choices. This one is befitting of Glenn’s contribution to the band on a vocal and on a songwriting level. I think it’s a great choice.”
"Take It Easy" was the first in a long string of hits for the Eagles that catapulted the band to international acclaim in the 1970s and '80s. As the Beach Boys had done a decade earlier, the Eagles created a body of work that came to help define the Southern California lifestyle to millions of listeners worldwide.
The group’s 1976 album “Eagles/Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975” has jockeyed with Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” over the years as the bestselling album of all time, according to the Recording Industry Assn.’s tallies, with sales approaching 30 million copies in the U.S. alone.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-eagles-glenn-frey-tribute-grammy-awards-don-henley-20160209-story.html

shunlvswx
02-10-2016, 08:12 AM
I can't wait for this. This will be the first time the guys are together since Glenn's death and Don's first appearance since then too since we already seen Joe and Timothy out and about since Glenn's death. I wonder if Don will play the drums or be up front with Timothy, Joe, Bernie and Jackson since he's always playing drums on Take It Easy.

I wasn't even going to watch the Grammys, but it looks like I'm gonna have to and watch the whole thing since I don't know when the guys will be on and I want to see David Bowie's tribute too.

I have a feeling the guys will probably still do the Kennedy Center Honors.

buffyfan145
02-10-2016, 10:05 AM
I'm so happy seeing this!!! :D Like I posted earlier I was starting to get annoyed why they weren't announcing it but now makes sense why they were waiting. It's going to be so much better than I was hoping and I know I'm going to be in tears.

LuvTim
02-10-2016, 11:24 AM
I'm so happy that they're doing the tribute and I'm happy that the family had input into the decision and that it will be an up-tempo moment in honor of Glenn who was such an up-tempo guy. I know that our guys will honor him in a way not possible with anyone else. My heart is full, just at the idea of this. :heart::heart:

02-10-2016, 12:29 PM
Linda Ronstadt spoke to Anderson Cooper on CNN the night Glenn passed away. I saw a link to this article where she remembers Glenn while looking at the article about the Grammys:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-glenn-frey-ronstadt-20160120-story.html

January 19, 2016
Randy Lewis, Contact Reporter
Los Angeles Times

Linda Ronstadt, whose backing band was the hub for the Eagles, remembers Glenn Frey

http://www.trbimg.com/img-569edc7b/turbine/la-et-ms-glenn-frey-ronstadt-20160120-001/550/550x309
Glenn Frey and Linda Ronstadt performing in 1976.
(Richard E. Aaron / Redferns)

No one ever suggested that the Eagles invented country-rock music. The seeds for that hybrid had been planted and nurtured in the mid-1960s by the likes of the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Linda Ronstadt and the Monkees' Michael Nesmith well before Glenn Frey came together with Don Henley, Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner in the early '70s.

What the Eagles did was take their distinctive version of this Los Angeles-bred genre to international acclaim thanks to a combination of relentlessly catchy songs, an astute business plan and fortuitous timing.

Much of the credit for the band's recipe for success has been attributed to Frey, the singer and guitarist who died Monday at 67 from a combination of rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia.

"We originally hired Glenn to replace Bernie Leadon, because he left my band to be in the Flying Burrito Brothers," Ronstadt told The Times on Monday, remembering what prompted her to draft Frey to be part of her backing band in the early 1970s.

At the time, Frey was just one of hundreds of aspiring musicians hanging around Hollywood searching for an outlet for his music. He'd come to L.A. from Detroit, and one of his early connections was with singer and songwriter J.D. Souther, another Detroit native who'd grown up in Amarillo, Texas, before venturing west. They formed a band called Longbranch Pennywhistle, which played McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica and the Troubadour in West Hollywood, among other local clubs that constituted a cauldron for the brewing L.A. music scene.

Ronstadt and Souther had dated, so she encountered Frey when he was still in Longbranch Pennywhistle. Ronstadt's manager, John Boylan, invited Henley to join Ronstadt's band after he'd relocated from Texas. "They were all great musicians," Ronstadt said, "but what I was most interested in creating was a harmony band, and they were a great harmony band."

What struck Boylan first about Frey, he recalled, was his "boundless energy for what he was doing. ... He was just a whirlwind. You could tell he had his heart set on what he was doing, and whatever it took, he was going do it.
"The other thing that impressed me was the scope of his musical knowledge," Boylan said. "He knew tons of different musical genres. He was a way better musician than a lot of people have given him credit for."
"Glenn was always smarter, and better prepared, than you thought he would be," she said. "It was like going into a card game with him. We used to play poker, and you'd go into a game thinking you were going to take his money, but he always ended up winning.

"When we played a grad night gig at Disneyland in 1971, we had to do four shows a night," she recalled. "You'd play a 20-minute set, then be off for three or four hours, then play another 20 minutes — there was a lot of time to kill between sets.

"At one point we got into a poker game with Smokey Robinson, who also was booked there," she said. "I had a huge crush on Smokey at that time, and we were playing poker, and Glenn kept winning. I told him, 'Quit winning!' That's the kind of poker player I was."

His skills translated into the business world as well, said the Eagles' longtime manager, Irving Azoff, the superstar talent manager considered by many to be among the most powerful people in the entertainment industry.

"He was always telling people, 'When you're in the music business, you've got to have your music right, and you've got to have your business right,' " Azoff said on Monday. "Glenn taught me as much about business as he taught me about music. … He wasn't just an incredible writer, singer and musician, he also had incredibly good business instincts."

That played out in Frey becoming what he often described as the band's "quarterback," usually making decisions about what songs they should play, in what order, and what they would rehearse. Sometimes that led to tension with the other band members. In an interview with The Times last year, Henley said he would have liked to have included more of the group's recent songs on its "History of the Eagles" tour in 2013 and 2014. "But that's not my decision," he said.

Azoff indicated that, with Frey, it wasn't so much a matter of exerting control but of having the acumen to keep the multiple plates spinning that are crucial to an organization as big as the Eagles.

"They had a really good creative give and take — it was not a dictatorship," Azoff said. "Don had his way of wanting to do certain things, and they worked all that out together."

Ronstadt said she knew from the start that the Eagles were destined for great things. "The first time they started working out their harmonies, they needed a place to rehearse. J.D. and I had a house we were sharing, and we said, 'You can use our living room.' It was a small place, and there wasn't really room for six people, so J.D. and I went to the movies.
"When we came back, they had worked up 'Witchy Woman' in that room. They tuned their voices to each other in that room," she said. "It was the best I ever heard that song sung. It was just amazing — I knew then they were going to have hits. There was no doubt in my mind."

AlreadyGone95
02-10-2016, 01:56 PM
I love hearing the old tidbits about Glenn from the people who knew him. They really show his true character and personality better than any media person can. The poker bits are very cool. I would've love to have been a fly on the wall in Linds and JD's living room on that date!

Brooke
02-10-2016, 02:39 PM
I'm glad so many that knew Glenn personally are telling their thoughts about him. It's so refreshing to hear what a great guy he really was! We, here, didn't really know the man like these people. :heart:

UndertheWire
02-10-2016, 02:52 PM
It takes me back to a quote from Linda in 1975 (Rolling Stone, Ben Torres Fong):

I knew he was going to be a star the minute I met him, he was such a hot shot. I loved him.

Glennhoney
02-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Here's David Spero talking about the Party of Two and HFO tours. He adds colour to the stories and verges on being indiscreet. I hope he writes that book.

http://qfm96.com/mornings/former-joe-walsh-manager-david-spero/

..great interview..thanks for sharing..

sodascouts
02-10-2016, 07:58 PM
Loving all these quotes as well. Thanks!

sodascouts
02-10-2016, 08:11 PM
OK, so I'm finally ready to share something I've never posted publicly before because I wasn't sure it was something he wanted "out there". However, now, well, that doesn't matter anymore. It was something that was pretty much one of the greatest moments of my entire life....

It was the time Glenn Frey asked me, Dreamer (Kay), and Perfect Little Sister (Lissa) up to his hotel room for a chat with him and his daughter... a chat that wound up lasting two hours.

It was in Niagara Falls 2007.

(This story is freaking LONG, so I'm going to break it up. I wrote it all down right after it happened so I'd never forget, and it came out to 12 pages).

It all started with a phone call...

==============================

Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2007
11:40 pm

Kay and I were talking on the phone about the upcoming trip to see Glenn's solo shows at Niagara Falls the day after next, and wondering what the shows would be like. We talked about how nothing could top Pebble Beach... unless he invited us to hang out with him. “But the odds of that are slim to none,” I joked.

Then, Kay got a beep on her phone. “Who’s that? It says ‘blocked.’ I haven’t blocked anyone.”

“They probably blocked their number from showing on your phone,” I replied.

“Well, I don’t want to answer the phone then,” Kay said, and let the message pick up. We talked for a couple more minutes.

As we talked, I was taking things out of the trunk of my car and carrying them into my apartment, since I’d need the trunk to be empty when I left the next day for Canada. I was chatting away and moving towards the door with my latest bundle of crap from my trunk, balancing the cell phone on my shoulder, when I heard the phone ringing from outside in the hall.

I quickly opened the door and stepped inside to check the caller ID. It said “Unknown Caller.” It was my one-ring number, not the one I give to friends, so my first instinct was not to answer it. However, I have no answering machine and it kept ringing.. and my ringer is LOUD. So I decided to answer it just to get the ringing to stop as it was disrupting my call with Kay. We also thought it was odd that I was receiving a call from “unknown” so soon after she got a call from “blocked.”

“I’m going to get that Kay – I can always hang up if it’s a sales call.” I put my cell phone down, picked up the landline phone, and heard a voice say:

“Hello, is this Nancy?”

“Yes.”

“This is Glenn Frey.”

“WHAT?! No way!”

“Yes, it’s me.”

“No, who is this REALLY?”

“It’s really me, Glenn. I’m sorry to call you so late... I hope I didn’t wake you up...”

“No, you didn’t...” I paused. “Are you for real? This is really Glenn Frey?”

“Nancy, you know it’s me.”

I paused. He sounded so sure I would recognize his voice... so I said hesitantly... “Well, if this isn’t Glenn Frey, then you should burn in hell. But if it is... this is SO COOL!”

He said, “My ticket’s at will call but it’s not time for me to pick it up yet.”

“Huh?”

“For Hell. I’ve got a ticket for Hell at Will-Call...”

“Oh! HAHA!” At this point I decide I’m going to go with it. “OK, OK, I’ll buy this, but why would you want to call me?”

“Aren’t you that girl who followed me around Pebble Beach with your girlfriends Lisa and Kay?” [Note: for a refresher on that, read here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241&page=10).]

“Uh, yes.. it’s Lissa by the way, not Lisa, short for Melissa.”

“Oh, OK, Lissa. Anyway, I’ve been thinking about you girls off and on since Pebble, and I’ve been meaning to send you that swag I promised you. I even put together a box of things, but I just got so busy at work that I didn’t get around to sending it. I thought that if you were coming to Niagara Falls, I could present it to you girls then.”

“That would be great!” I stammered. There was a ton of background noise at this point, and I figured I should take care of this, so I said, “Are you hearing a lot of interference?”

“Yes,” he replied. “Are you on a cell phone? I’m on a hard line.”

“So am I, but why don’t you call me on my cell phone?”

“OK, what’s the number?”

I gave him the number and then unceremoniously hung up on Kay, lol. Also, desperate not to lose the connection, I literally ran outside with my cell phone. I waited for what seemed like an eternity, but was really about two minutes, wondering if this could be for real. If it was, HOLY CRAP! If it wasn’t... I would feel like such an idiot. How could I know?!!! It sounded so much like him...

He called back. “Anyway, as I was saying, I meant to give you girls that swag, but got distracted.”

“Oh, I’m so upset that we weren’t your first priority,” I joked.

“Well, you should have been,” he said kindly.

“Aw...” I didn’t know what to say.

“So you are going to Niagara Falls, aren’t you?”

“Yes, I am, and so is Kay, but... Lissa can’t afford to go.”

“Oh, she can’t?”

“No, she’s saving up for this thing in February...” I tried to joke.

“What thing? Oh, you mean the AT&T.”

“Yes... hahaha,” I stumbled weakly. “That is if you’re even doing it this year... you guys are going to be pretty busy next year I guess...” he didn’t say anything. I hoped I hadn’t said anything wrong! But I continued on. “I feel really bad about Lissa not going, too. She is kind of my ‘Partner in Crime’ and this will be the first time we haven’t been together when doing something related to you...” and then I hastily added “...you guys” so it didn’t sound so stalker-esque, lol.

“Well, if it’s just a matter of money, I can help out with that,” he said.

“Oh really? That’s great! But... there’s something else... her husband has some issues with you.”

“With me?”

“Yes, you know, when we went down to Pebble Beach to see you he wondered...”

“Oh, it’s not like that at all! I’m not like that. I’m a happily married man. I’m neutered. I even told my daughter Taylor about you and she’ll be there.”

“Oh, I know, I know!! It’s just that she’s so beautiful and some guys...” I trailed off, feeling like I was saying too much.

“Well, I don’t want to get anyone into any trouble or cause any marital discord. I want to make the world a better place,” he joked.

I laughed, getting the reference to "Ain't It Love" immediately, then went on. “You know what? Don't worry. I’m sure we’ll find a way.”

“I sure hope so because I had this vision of presenting all three of you with your swag at Niagara Falls.”

“That’s so nice of you...” I continued talking to him, walking around the parking lot of my apartment complex, seeking the best reception. I kept passing other students from Purdue who lived at my complex and I thought, Look at all these people, passing me by, for them it's just another night. They have no idea that just a few feet away from them, I'm here on the phone with GLENN FREY in the parking lot of this crappy complex.

“You know, I don’t really do this kind of thing, but like I said I’ve been thinking about you girls and you seem like really sincere fans to me. I mean, you came all the way out to Pebble and stayed through all that rain and you came to Canada last time... and I didn’t get any stalker or ‘Fatal Attraction’ vibe off of you...”

“That’s good, because I was worried that you’d see us coming and think, ‘Uh-oh, here come the freaks!”

“No, no, I don’t think that at all!”

“I know, I guess if I really thought that I wouldn’t have come back the second year,” I lied. Actually, I had been completely nervous that he would think that!

“But like I said you seemed like really sincere fans. For instance, when you told me how much you liked my performance of I Love to Watch a Woman Dance... that meant a lot to me. Your dedication means a lot to me. I want to do something for you. And I promised you this swag and I want to give it to you.”

“That’s so sweet of you,” I gushed.

“I thought what we could do is meet up before the show, maybe for lunch or for a pre-show dinner Thursday or Friday, and I could give you the swag. I’m not sure exactly when we’ll do it, but I have your cell phone number and I can call you back to sort out the details.”

I remembered the trouble I’d had with my cell phone in Rama. “OK, but my cell phone might not get good reception in Canada, I had trouble at Casino Rama last time, so maybe I should give you our hotel...”

“I’ll just give you Tommy Nixon’s number and if you haven’t heard from me by noon Thursday, you can call it. The number is....”

“Wait, I’m outside, I’ve got to go back inside and get some paper,” I said hurriedly, practically running back inside and praying I didn’t lose reception once I did.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I forgot you were outside,” he apologized. He is too sweet!

“No, don’t worry, it’s just my stupid cell phone has such crappy reception,” I explained. Then I was back in my apartment. The first paper I saw was my MapQuest printout for the Buffalo Airport. I grabbed it. “OK, I’ve got a pencil and paper now.”

“OK. The number for Tommy is xxx-xxx-xxxx. Just tell him you’re one of my friends from Pebble Beach and he’ll know who you are.”

“OK, great, thanks,” I stammered again. "This is so cool - I can't thank you enough..."

"Well, I just wanted to do something special for you girls.... I just want to give you three girls your swag. I think you’re going like it. It’s ‘underground swag’.... a little something extra.”

“Thank you,” I stammered again.

“Well, I guess I’d better go now, I’ve got to get up in the morning at 4:00 to catch a flight out to Niagara. Again, I’m sorry I called you so late.”

“Oh, I’ve got news for you, it isn’t that late for me,” I tried to joke, but he didn’t laugh, so I moved on and said, “Before you go, tell me exactly what you want me to say to Lissa.”

“Tell her that if it’s just a matter of money that I can buy her a coach ticket, and that I really hope she can make it because I really want you two to be there. But I don't want to cause her any trouble...”

“You let us worry about that, OK?" I was starting to freak. "This is SO COOL!” I repeated, unable to think of something more eloquent to say.

“OK. Goodnight, Nancy. Sweet dreams after you calm yourself down,” he chuckled.

“Goodnight, Glenn,” I said, swallowing hard, thinking how freaking AWESOME it was that I was on the phone saying goodnight to freaking GLENN FREY.

My mind was practically in a frenzy. I immediately dialed Lissa’s number and was told she wasn’t home, but was at cheer with her daughter. I debated... call her at cheer? Would she make a scene?

Instead of calling her then, I quickly called Kay, practically hyperventilating, and told her that Glenn Frey had called. After convincing her that I was for real, it occurred to her that Glenn might have been the “blocked call”! I then hung up with her to call Lissa back, unable to wait any longer, and she checked her message from the “blocked call” – her message from Glenn Frey.

I finally reached Lissa as well. She was driving when I told her the news and practically wrecked her car. She had to pull over. And no matter what, she was going to make that plane.

====== TO BE CONTINUED ============

sodascouts
02-10-2016, 08:28 PM
The next day, Glenn called Kay's cell phone again and told her that he'd decided to do a couple new songs for the concert and they needed time to rehearse before the show, so our lunch was off. Instead, he wanted us to meet him about a half hour after the show was over. He told us what his hotel suite was.

The show was great. You can read all about it here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372).

After the show, Kay, Lissa, and I ran up to our hotel room and tried our best to look as cute as possible. Back then, I was still chubby (as you can see from my avatar, which came from that night) but I did my best to minimize the fat. Lucky for me, Glenn wasn't asking us up there because we were hotties. He was rewarding us for being true fans.

The time finally came.

When we got to his floor, there were these two ladies there. They said “You must be the golf girls.” I joked to them about Putt-Putt and windmills. They said, “He’s waiting for you.” (HOLY CRAP)

We went to knock on the door. I found myself alone in front of it as Kay and Lissa stood to the side – for once, I was the brave one! I said “You girls better get over here and stand by me. I’m not going to be the only one standing at this door when he opens it.”

Once they moved closer, I knocked. Almost immediately, the door was opened – I think it was opened by Tommy. I remember surveying the room – seeing Taylor look up from her drawing, Glenn coming over... and he hugged me! I’m not sure if he hugged me first, but I think so, just because I was so surprised. We hugged really tightly, then I pulled away and I think at that point said hello to Taylor.

I know I tried to get Tommy’s name because I wasn’t sure who he was and I didn’t want to be rude. “I’m sorry, what’s your name?” I asked him.

He said “Tommy Nixon."

“Oh yes!” I nodded because I recognized his name. I knew exactly who he was. “You’re the...” I trailed off because he looked a little surprised. “I’m so hardcore I know who everybody is without being introduced,” I tried to joke. I'm not sure he got it.

Glenn introduced me as “Nancy from Livermore,” which I quickly corrected – “I’m from Indiana.” VINDICATION, I thought, because I had said I’d never be scared to tell him where I was from in my fan letter, but I had chickened out at Pebble Beach. Now I had finally been honest.

As we came in, I remember Kay saying that Taylor looked like her mom, to which Glenn quickly asked, “Where have you seen photos of her mom?” Lissa mentioned the photo spread in Town and Country. Glenn said “Oh yes, the house in Palm Springs.”

I said, “Actually, you did two. Town and Country and Home and Garden.” I realized I was sounding a little TOO knowledgeable.

Luckily Taylor chimed in at that point. “That’s right, we did two, one when I was like five and one when I was like eight.”

I think at that point Lissa or Kay asked when she was starting school, and Kay asked if she was working on homework, to which she replied that she was drawing. Glenn added that she loved to draw. I think this is also when Glenn commented that Lissa reminded him of Jean Schmit. Taylor popped her head up at the mention of Tim’s wife with “Aw, Timothy!”

I think it was then he asked us if we wanted anything to drink. He listed drinks “water, Coke, Diet Coke...” as well as “Jordan.” I figured Jordan must be the wine, and I was going to ask for it, but Lissa and Kay were getting soft drinks and water, and I didn’t want to look like the lush of the group. I hesitated. “Nancy?” Glenn prompted. “Would you like anything to drink?”

“Um... what’s Jordan?” I asked hesitantly.

“Oh, Jordan is a good wine,” Glenn reassured me, as if I needed to be told that Glenn was drinking good wine, lol. At that same moment, Tommy showed me the year on the bottle and echoed Glenn’s assessment. I finally said “Jordan, please,” and was relieved when Kay asked for a glass as well.

Note: I just realized how crazily detailed this is. You probably don't need to know every single piece of dialogue, even though I wrote down everything I could remember at the time, because I didn't want to forget a word! Still, I'll move on to the highlight reel.

=== TO BE CONTINUED ======

UndertheWire
02-10-2016, 08:36 PM
The detail is great. I should be sleeping but this is a good bedtime story. And you don't look chubby in your avatars.

sodascouts
02-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Glenn, Taylor, and Tommy were all so friendly. We talked and talked and talked about all sorts of things. Some memorable moments:

- Kay and Lissa talked to him about Lissa’s son being in the Navy and how Kay liked the new instrumental ("I Dreamed There Was No War"; he had played it for the first time publicly that night). Kay couldn’t remember the name and I wanted to shout it out to her because I had written it down and therefore knew it, but by then Glenn had told her what it was. He seemed pleased that we liked it. We felt so privileged to be among the first to hear it publicly.

- Glenn called his suite “the West Covina Suite.”

- I got out my cell phone and proudly declared to Glenn that I had “Call on Me” as my ringtone and I’d made it myself. He didn’t look too impressed, lol, but he didn't look pissed off either. I'll take it! ;)

- Glenn knew I was working on my PhD and wanted to know more about my dissertation (can you believe it?!) I told him my area of concentration was the British Renaissance. Before beginning, I asked, “Do you really want to hear about it? Because I’m not sure how far I can get before people lose consciousness.”

“In a nutshell."

I TRIED to quickly summarize it. Glenn and Taylor were nodding and it turns out Taylor was into Shakespeare, too. I was so freaking glad Taylor was there because she was easy to talk to and I didn't feel so nervous with her there. Glenn asked me about authors from the Renaissance... we talked a bit about Shakespeare, Milton... Tommy asked Glenn jokingly if he really understood what I was talking about or was just pretending. It seemed like he got it to me, though. Those Freys are sharp cookies.

I admitted to Glenn that writing the dissertation was going more slowly than I'd hoped. I joked that “the release date of my dissertation has been pushed back.” He laughed at that.

When they continued to express interest in what my dissertation was about, I tried to keep it short, but I went on and on and on, gesturing wildly in my hyper way. I was starting to lose everyone and was garnering looks of boredom, confusion, even mild alarm... except for Taylor. Thank God for Taylor! Afterwards, I sat back and said “It sounds feminist but it’s really just a pattern I saw.” I got concerned because I was talking about feminine empowerment and control over the male in Renaissance literature and I didn't want to scare anyone, lol. Happily, everybody seemed fine!

- Tommy said that he would like to go to a Renaissance Fair and I said that I used to go to one in Texas when I lived there. He mentioned the storms in Texas, then he asked where the fair was and I said I wasn’t sure – that it was out in the middle of nowhere, near Cut’n’Shoot, north of Houston. He kept asking me “It’s in between Houston and Austin?” over and over, and I kept saying “I don’t know” because I’m so directionally impaired I wasn’t sure! “I just drove north for an hour and a half and got there!” Tommy looked at me with disbelief – it was like he couldn’t believe I was really that stupid, not to know even that much geography of my home state. Glenn joked that it might be next to “Knife’n’Kill.”

- Glenn knew from Pebble Beach that we'd bought some of his old yearbooks off of Ebay, and while he didn't blame us for buying them, he didn't seem too thrilled that people would sell his stuff. Kay told him that she'd bought an essay he'd written as a kid and offered to mail it to him, but he said she didn't have to. It was so nice that he didn't think we were weird for buying it, which I had been worried about.

- Those of you who've met me in person know that when I get excited, I can talk and talk and talk and talk. Well, I was doing this now... Glenn was smiling, he seemed cool with it and happy to be able to chill and not do all the talking. At least, that's what I was telling myself! After a while, though, he had something to say. “Let me hold court for a second,” he said, kindly but with authority. I think he thought that while I was a bit talkative, I wasn't all that bad. ;) Silence fell as we waited; he had become intense all of the sudden. He told us that he was going to give us some special gifts and that if he ever saw them on Ebay we would be in the "penalty box for life." We must never share them, copy them, sell them...

“So this is all supposed to be a big secret?” I questioned. He never answered me, but I guess silence is a “yes” here. [This is why I've never talked about it before now.]

“What I’m about to give you must remain between us. It’s...”

“The cure for AIDS!” Taylor said mock-seriously.

Glenn didn’t laugh, but instead echoed, “Yes, the cure for AIDS." Great straight delivery. "No, but seriously, what I’m about to give you must NEVER be shared or copied or sold” etc. etc.

To this day, none of us have shared them, and we never will. Suffice it to say it was indeed some pretty special stuff, and I'll treasure it all my life.

- at one point, I told him, pointing at him to catch his attention, “You know the Eagles released the single ‘How Long’ today...” He nodded, looking a bit wary, like he didn’t want to talk about the Eagles. I said “I have this video of you doing that song in 1972 and...” I turned to Taylor “he has on this shirt that says “teen king’ on it! haha!” She laughed. “Teen King?” Me making it into a joke rather than a convo about the Eagles seemed to please him. “Teens dug me,” he said, a little proudly. “You know, Linda Ronstadt gave me that name. She just looked at me one day and said, ‘You know, you’re just a teen king.’” This got some laughs.

I said we had heard the song on the Eagles’ MySpace. Taylor said “The Eagles have a MySpace?” She turned to Glenn. “Why didn’t you tell me?” He said, “You know me, I don’t know about those things – myspace, yourspace, whatever.”

- he refilled our wineglasses, at which point I thought "YES! He's not tired of us yet!"

- some fans who'd found out his hotel room number came up and knocked on the door. Tommy enlisted Kay to deal with it. They answered the door pretending to be a couple and told the fans "You've got the wrong room." It was hilarious.

- I was standing and pacing a bit for some reason and was told to sit down. Once I did, I said I was a bit hyper, and someone said “We noticed.” I said I had a tendency to talk too quickly when I get nervous, and that Kay and Lissa gave me a hard time about it at Pebble Beach. I admitted that I knew I was talking too fast at Pebble Beach because sometimes I would say something to Glenn and he would just look at me with this confused, uncomprehending look on his face. Taylor said to me, “He always looks like that” and then we both looked at him and I had to laugh, because at that moment he DID have a confused and uncomprehending look on his face (apparently not clearly hearing what I had just said). He knew Taylor and I must have been talking about him though, because he was like "What?"

- Glenn called me “Nance” several times, which I loved, because almost no one calls me that and I liked having a nickname. :)

- Glenn talked about calling us up. He said that he’d thought he’d had our numbers and was really surprised when he pulled out the paper and it was just our addresses. He said he dialed me up first and asked for “Nancy K**** from Lafayette” and that the phone had just rung and rung and rung. I said that he had called the number I don’t give to friends and that I don’t usually answer that number. Kay chimed in that we had been talking on the phone at that time. Then he said – I believe as he was getting up because I seem to remember him being standing when he said this – that I should get better at voice recognition. I said that I had been afraid to believe it was true, while Glenn was just shaking his head and saying that I should have known it was him. I said “Well, see, the thing is, if it hadn’t had been you, a) I would have felt stupid, and b) My heart would have been...” I was going to say ‘broken’ but I thought it might have sounded melodramatic, so I just trailed off and instead looked over at Tommy and said “You guys just have no concept of out ‘out there’ it is for me to receive a call from Glenn Frey.”

- at the end, Glenn yawned, at which Tommy immediately said “It’s getting late...” which we all took as our cue to get up and go. I quickly asked him for an autograph for timfan, who was also in Niagara Falls. Not only did he oblige, he gave us some stuff for her, too.

- I asked if we could have a photo with Glenn. I needed some photographic evidence that this had really happened and I hadn't dreamed it. He wasn’t too keen on it, but finally agreed. I then made a puppy dog face at him and said “I really can’t post this online?” pleadingly. He paused for a second as if reconsidering his earlier edict, then shook his head and pointed at me saying “Aw, that’s evil!” as he got up out of the chair. At first I thought he meant putting stuff online was ‘evil’ but as I thought about the way he said it, I think he meant it was ‘evil’ of me to try to make him change his mind by making that puppy dog face. Taylor took the photo for us and while I look fat, I still treasure it! Perhaps it's naughty of me to even have it as a little avatar but it reminds me of the good times, the best times.

After a bit more chatting, off we went... and that was it!

I always dreamed that one day, we'd get another invite. I kept that Indiana cell phone number - still have it to this day - because Glenn had called it and I always hoped he'd call it again. (Yes, we had his number too, but he told us not to call it after that weekend so... we obeyed. I still have it in my phone, though!) Although he talked to us again after the show at the Roxy later in the year, introduced us to Cindy and Deacon, chatted with us and gave us a ride to our car at Pebble Beach, and occasionally gave us shout-outs or waves from the stage, we never had another night like that.

I'll never forget it.

Thank you, Glenn, for giving me one of the most memorable nights of my life. You treated me like a friend, and that was the greatest gift of all. There will never be anyone else like you. You will always be in my heart.

Prettymaid
02-10-2016, 09:10 PM
Soda - DON'T SKIP ONE FREAKING DETAIL!!!

I'm so happy that you're ready to tell this story.

Tori
02-10-2016, 09:17 PM
I can't stop smiling!!! This is an AWESOME story, Nancy. How absolutely mind-blowing that you got to spend that precious time with Glenn and Taylor. I can only dream of such a thing ever happening to me. I thought your Pebble Beach escapades were amazing... then this story comes along! You, Kay and Lissa are some of the luckiest people in the world, and I continue to be surprised every day by how great of a man Glenn Frey was.

sodascouts
02-10-2016, 09:19 PM
Soda - DON'T SKIP ONE FREAKING DETAIL!!!

Well, I did get pretty detailed, lol. I left out some of the more private stuff, things he shared about his family. They weren't exactly state secrets but even though he's gone now, there's still a few things I want to keep offline!

However, I wanted to put this here to show how amazing this man was. I mean, how many rock stars do this kind of thing???

buffyfan145
02-10-2016, 09:32 PM
Thanks Soda for posting. Wow, that is amazing he did that and such a great story and memory for you, Kay, and Lissa. :D

LuvTim
02-10-2016, 10:50 PM
Well, I did get pretty detailed, lol. I left out some of the more private stuff, things he shared about his family. They weren't exactly state secrets but even though he's gone now, there's still a few things I want to keep offline!

However, I wanted to put this here to show how amazing this man was. I mean, how many rock stars do this kind of thing???

Soda, this was a very sweet and moving story. No wonder his fans have been so devoted to Glenn and now to his memory. Thanks for sharing this special experience.

Elizasong
02-11-2016, 12:08 AM
Soda what a TRULY great memorable experience you've had. I would never believe that was him on the phone. I didn't read the Pebble Beach story but I"m assuming you gave him all your details there.

Thanks so much for sharing all the details. I felt like I was standing right next to you in the parking lot and then in the hotel hanging out!!

You are a very good writer.

Witchy Woman
02-11-2016, 12:57 AM
That's great, Nancy !! What a wonderful memory to treasure !!

Outlawman13
02-11-2016, 01:19 AM
I enjoyed reading that Nancy!! Glenn's a sweetheart and I have always wanted to hear your story on meeting him!! Thank you so much!! What a wonderful memory

AlreadyGone95
02-11-2016, 02:14 AM
How very cool and awesome for Glenn to do that for you 3. What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing it, Soda! My love and respect for Glenn just increased even more!

UndertheWire
02-11-2016, 06:04 AM
Thank you for sharing your story. Just the thought of receiving a phonecall out of the blue blows my mind.

Brooke
02-11-2016, 11:52 AM
Nancy, thank you for telling us about this! You had told me a few bits when you visited me for the HotE show on tv, but, wow! How awesome that Glenn was so nice to all of you girls! A memory to treasure forever! He obviously trusted you all and appreciated you as his fans so much! And your picture with him is the icing on the cake! And you look great in it! :cool:

L101
02-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Just read your post Soda - Amazing!! I had heard a few bits before, but that was definitely a brilliant night and Glenn just topped it off for the 3 of you.
And you do look great in that photo!

DivineDon
02-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Wow, Soda - just wow!!! No wonder you loved him. What an amazing experience. :faint: I don't know how you were able to talk at all never mind remember all that. What a wonderful memory to have....he was just an incredibly generous man. (and Taylor sounds fab!)

02-11-2016, 02:29 PM
Well - I guess I can weigh in on this now. Like Soda, I wrote it all down too and I'm also going to do this in several posts mainly because I don't have time to post everything right now. Also, like Soda, I can't even begin to say what a thrill this little Niagara Falls trip turned out to be.

So, as Nancy described, she and I were on the phone discussing our last minute plans when the call came in. The next day (Wednesday) she was going to drive from Indiana and I was flying into the Buffalo airport where she was going to pick me up, and then we would go on to Niagara Falls for the first show on Thursday night. When the "Blocked Call" came in past 11:30, I decided to ignore it. Then when Nancy got the "Unknown Caller" message on her land line just a couple of minutes later, we thought it was strange so she answered her call. I was on hold on her cell phone and I could vaguely hear her. I remember her saying "What" and "No way" and, of course, wondered what the heck was going on. After a few minutes, I heard a click when she hung up on me. I wasn't too worried and continued with my last minute packing as I waited for her to call me back. Of course, I was dumbfounded when she did. Both of us in disbelief, we chatted for a few minutes and then decided to hang up again so she could try to reach Lissa. When I hung up, I noticed that I had a voice mail message. My heart pounded as I retrieved the message. It was indeed Glenn, and I know exactly what it said because I eventually recorded it so I would have it forever ...

“Hey Kay, it’s Glenn Frey calling you. It’s probably close to midnight in Virginia, but I just realized I’m going to Niagara Falls tomorrow and I had no idea whether you or, ah, Nancy ***** or Lisa **** were going up to the casino to see my shows. Ah, whether you are or not, I wanna leave you a phone number where you can get hold of me through my road manager. Just say you’re a friend of mine from Pebble Beach, and he’ll understand. You can call me through Tom Nixon, not tonight, but tomorrow, area code xxx xxx-xxxx. Hope everything’s well with you and I hope to speak to you soon. Bye Bye”

So, the next afternoon, as instructed, I called Tommy’s cell phone number from the Buffalo airport. I got his voice mail so I left him a message telling him I had met Glenn at Pebble Beach, and that Glenn had left me his phone number and told me to call him. I left him my cell phone number, except I was so nervous I couldn’t remember the number. I actually did get it right, but I was stumbling through it so badly that I didn’t know if he’d understand it or not. So I called him back and left him the number again. A little later I got on the phone with Nancy who was still driving in her car to pick me up. After I hung up, I noticed I had a message on my cell phone. Figuring it was Tommy, I nervously dialed the number to retrieve the message. The message said (recorded this one too) lol:

“Ah Kay, it’s Glenn Frey calling. It’s about 5:15 on the east coast here. If you would like to reach me, ah, you can call me on my cell, xxx xxx-xxxx. Bye Bye”

That’s right, Glenn returned my call – not Tommy, and he left me his cell phone number!

I started looking around in the airport for the quietest, most private place I could find before I called Glenn back. I wanted to make sure I heard every word he said. I then had the presence of mind to search for a piece of paper and ink pen in case I had to write anything down. I took a very deep breath, and, nervously dialed the number.

The familiar voice on the other end said, “Hello.”

“Hello, Glenn. This is Kay *****, you know, from Pebble Beach.”

“Hi Kay, Where ARE you?” (I was very puzzled by the way he said this – it was almost like a ‘I’ve been trying to find you all day’ kind of reaction – hmmm – I wish.)

“I’m in the Buffalo airport waiting for Nancy to come pick me up. I flew up, but she’s driving, and she should be here to pick me up within the next hour.

Then, he said kiddingly, "BTW – do you ever answer your phone?" I teased back "Well - I was wondering, do you give your phone number out to just anybody? I mean, you sure are trusting.”

He replied in a sly, joking voice, “Yeah, but you’re not going to remember this number after Saturday, are you?”

I meekly said something eloquent like “Ah, no”. Then I said, “I’ve been talking to Nancy, and this is really sweet of you to want to see all of us. And everything is all worked out with Lissa coming.”

“Is Lisa coming?” (Apparently, he didn’t listen to me the first time! lol)

I corrected the ‘Lisa’ by saying, “It’s Lissa, and yes, she’s coming. She got her plane ticket and is catching a red eye - she'll get in tomorrow morning. We are going to come back here to the Buffalo airport to pick her up.”

“That’s great. What else does she need?”

“The only other thing she'll need are tickets to the shows. She is going to stay with us in our hotel room.”

“Let me give you Jerry Vaccarino’s number, and he can take care of that for you. Just give him a call around midday tomorrow, and tell him what you need. His number is xxx xxx-xxxx. Okay now, here’s the plan for tomorrow night. What I wanted to do was take you girls to dinner, but I’m going to be a lot busier tomorrow than I originally thought because I'm adding in some new songs that we need to work on. If we go to dinner, I’m afraid we’ll be rushed, so instead, why don’t you girls come up to my room tomorrow night after the show, and we’ll have some wine and just hang out, and I’ll give you your swag. I have my daughter, Taylor, with me so you’ll get to meet her, too.”

“Oh my gosh, that sounds wonderful. What time should we come up?”

“Just come on up right after the show. The room number is xxxx. It’s the West Covina.”

“What about security? Will we need any special clearance or anything?”

“No, we'll take care of that so you should be okay. Just come up the elevators to the 2xth. If you have any problems, go to the concierge desk in the lobby and tell them to call the room.”

“Okay, I think I’ve got it all straight. Thank you again, so much, for doing this.”

Well, I’m glad that all three of you will be here. You girls be careful, and I’ll see you tomorrow night.”

“We will, and trust me, we’re glad we could all be here, too.”

And then we hung up. Not long after, Nancy arrived at the airport and we were Niagara Falls bound!

To be continued ...

AlreadyGone95
02-11-2016, 02:37 PM
I've got a huge smile plastered across my face right now. Reading what all Glenn did for ya'll, how nice he was, and to see how much he did care for his hardcore fans, has made the wait of picking up 6 new prescription drugs alot easier. I'm amazed at Glenn's easy going way with ya'll. I can't wait to read the rest! I can't imagine how much you treasure those memories!

Outlawman13
02-11-2016, 05:17 PM
What a lovely man Glenn is to do that for you ladies!! Can't wait to read more Kay!!

UndertheWire
02-11-2016, 05:21 PM
I'm a little surprised that he sounds so organised with all the phone numbers and arrangements and is doing it all himself rather than having a PA. I guess "the Lone Arranger" applies to more than music.

Freypower
02-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Tommy & Jerry were like his unofficial PAs.

These are fantastic stories & wonderful to read. He was an incredibly special, caring man who loved his real fans.

Brooke
02-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Kay, thanks for your story too! How awesome for Glenn to do this you the three of you! Can't wait to read more!

Victim of Love
02-11-2016, 06:06 PM
This from today's LA Times...a pre-Grammy tribute to Glenn being held at the Troubador.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-glenn-frey-tribute-troudabour-americana-grammy-concert-20160211-story.html

SoaringRockyMountainWay
02-11-2016, 06:25 PM
Wow! This story is so cool! It makes me so happy.

02-11-2016, 07:28 PM
Okay – Nancy covered a lot about our evening with Glenn, but I can add a few things that she didn’t mention. We were humbled, yet, surprised, that Glenn had kept that piece of paper with our names and addresses on it. We had not wanted to be presumptuous and include our telephone numbers because he had only asked for our addresses. TBH, we got a little thrill over the thought of Glenn tracking us down through directory assistance.

As she said, after the show the first night, we freshened up a bit before we ascended to the ‘West Covina’ suite. As we stood at that door to the suite I became a nervous wreck. I couldn't help thinking “How in the world did this happen? What in hell am I doing here – I am so freakin’ out of my league. But once we got inside, Glenn, Taylor, and Tommy were so friendly that I was fine. The conversation was extremely casual and there was never a loss for words the entire evening.

Taylor, who was 16 at the time, was a very charming and beautiful young lady. You would have thought she may be pretty bored sitting there with dad and his fan girls, but she was totally engaged in the convo even as she was drawing throughout the evening. Glenn called her by her nickname “Cha Cha” and Tommy called her “T.” When I mentioned that Taylor looked just like her mother, Tommy looked at me and said she acted just like her too. He also threw in that Glenn had really well-grounded and level-headed kids, and that “they have been brought up right”. At one point, I joked about how when the kids get taller than me (usually by the age of 10), I have a tradition of giving them a few whacks on the butt. Taylor kind of jerked her butt out of the way.

Now, more about the girl’s who had found out Glenn’s room number. First of all, I don’t know what they said to the security ladies at the elevator, but they, obviously, convinced them to let them by. Maybe the security ladies figured they were more ‘golf’ girls. When they knocked on the door, Tommy called me over there to help out for some reason. At that point, Glenn, who was sitting in a chair with a straight shot to the door, moved over out of their sight. Tommy and I cracked the door with the chain lock on. They were pretty persistent even though we kept telling them “It was a mistake”. I’m pretty sure that they, in fact, knew that it was Glenn’s suite and they wouldn’t leave until we finally just closed the door. I don’t know what they were expecting, but they sure did give it a good try.

Back to the show that night, Glenn played a lot more guitar solos than usual, including the beautiful I Dreamed There Was No War, which as Nancy mentioned, I gave him high praise. Glenn mentioned during the show that “his fingers were yelling at him for it”. In fact he had them “talk” and “whine”. :wink: Other than that mention, he never indicated he felt bad in any way and he put his heart and soul in his performance. During our visit, he also mentioned that he had a persistent headache, but again, never showed any signs of feeling bad while we were there. However, we learned at the show the next evening that he had to summon a local rheumatologist to come in and treat him for a bad flare up after we left Thursday night. He had given the doctor comp tickets for the show and dedicated a song him for his help. Poor thing – I felt so bad for him, but his performance that night was just as good, if not better, than the previous night. What a dedicated entertainer he was.

To put some icing on the cake, during Friday night’s show, Taylor came out to give Glenn a guitar, and as she left the stage, she walked over to us and gave us a ‘pinkie’ wave. Then as if this trip couldn’t get any better, Glenn dedicated I Love to Watch a Woman Dance to us. Here are his exact words:

“I’d like to dedicate this song to some friends of mine – Lissa from California, Nancy from Indiana, and Kay from Virginia. They drove all the way out here to watch the old man sing.”

I hadn’t thought it was possible for my respect and admiration for this man to get any higher, but it continued to grow. As Nancy said, we were even more fortunate to have a few more encounters with Glenn after this night. I totally understand how lucky I am to have had these precious moments. But, I guess it’s human nature to always yearn for more, so I had always hoped for yet another that will never come.

Glennhoney
02-11-2016, 07:56 PM
WOWZA!!

LuvTim
02-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Okay – Nancy covered a lot about our evening with Glenn, but I can add a few things that she didn’t mention. We were humbled, yet, surprised, that Glenn had kept that piece of paper with our names and addresses on it. We had not wanted to be presumptuous and include our telephone numbers because he had only asked for our addresses. TBH, we got a little thrill over the thought of Glenn tracking us down through directory assistance.

As she said, after the show the first night, we freshened up a bit before we ascended to the ‘West Covina’ suite. As we stood at that door to the suite I became a nervous wreck. I couldn't help thinking “How in the world did this happen? What in hell am I doing here – I am so freakin’ out of my league. But once we got inside, Glenn, Taylor, and Tommy were so friendly that I was fine. The conversation was extremely casual and there was never a loss for words the entire evening.

Taylor, who was 16 at the time, was a very charming and beautiful young lady. You would have thought she may be pretty bored sitting there with dad and his fan girls, but she was totally engaged in the convo even as she was drawing throughout the evening. Glenn called her by her nickname “Cha Cha” and Tommy called her “T.” When I mentioned that Taylor looked just like her mother, Tommy looked at me and said she acted just like her too. He also threw in that Glenn had really well-grounded and level-headed kids, and that “they have been brought up right”. At one point, I joked about how when the kids get taller than me (usually by the age of 10), I have a tradition of giving them a few whacks on the butt. Taylor kind of jerked her butt out of the way.

Now, more about the girl’s who had found out Glenn’s room number. First of all, I don’t know what they said to the security ladies at the elevator, but they, obviously, convinced them to let them by. Maybe the security ladies figured they were more ‘golf’ girls. When they knocked on the door, Tommy called me over there to help out for some reason. At that point, Glenn, who was sitting in a chair with a straight shot to the door, moved over out of their sight. Tommy and I cracked the door with the chain lock on. They were pretty persistent even though we kept telling them “It was a mistake”. I’m pretty sure that they, in fact, knew that it was Glenn’s suite and they wouldn’t leave until we finally just closed the door. I don’t know what they were expecting, but they sure did give it a good try.

Back to the show that night, Glenn played a lot more guitar solos than usual, including the beautiful I Dreamed There Was No War, which as Nancy mentioned, I gave him high praise. Glenn mentioned during the show that “his fingers were yelling at him for it”. In fact he had them “talk” and “whine”. :wink: Other than that mention, he never indicated he felt bad in any way and he put his heart and soul in his performance. During our visit, he also mentioned that he had a persistent headache, but again, never showed any signs of feeling bad while we were there. However, we learned at the show the next evening that he had to summon a local rheumatologist to come in and treat him for a bad flare up after we left Thursday night. He had given the doctor comp tickets for the show and dedicated a song him for his help. Poor thing – I felt so bad for him, but his performance that night was just as good, if not better, than the previous night. What a dedicated entertainer he was.

To put some icing on the cake, during Friday night’s show, Taylor came out to give Glenn a guitar, and as she left the stage, she walked over to us and gave us a ‘pinkie’ wave. Then as if this trip couldn’t get any better, Glenn dedicated I Love to Watch a Woman Dance to us. Here are his exact words:

“I’d like to dedicate this song to some friends of mine – Lissa from California, Nancy from Indiana, and Kay from Virginia. They drove all the way out here to watch the old man sing.”

I hadn’t thought it was possible for my respect and admiration for this man to get any higher, but it continued to grow. As Nancy said, we were more fortunate to have a few more encounters with Glenn after that. I totally understand how lucky I am to have had these precious moments. But, I guess it’s human nature to always yearn for more, so I had always hoped for yet another that will never come.
Dreamer, that's so great. Those are days you'll never, ever forget. :-)

buffyfan145
02-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Thanks Dreamer for posting too!!! :D I'm loving reading this.

Prettymaid
02-11-2016, 09:52 PM
Too cool, Dreamer!

I can just imagine the squeals of delight when Nancy arrived at the airport and found out that Glenn had left you a message to call him back! I can picture you finding paper and pen and a quiet corner of the airport and getting up the nerve to talk to Glenn-Freakin'-Frey!

Glennhoney
02-11-2016, 10:27 PM
What does he mean by a "swag"???????

NYC Fan
02-12-2016, 01:07 AM
Soda and Dreamer-

Thank you so much for sharing this amazing story. What a thoughtful, generous man Glenn was to his fans. I'm so touched by how kind he was to you all. Memories to cherish forever, for sure.

Brooke
02-12-2016, 10:30 AM
What does he mean by a "swag"???????

Thanks for asking Gh! :laugh: I wanted to, but I'm guessing it means souvenirs, like signed pictures, cds, t-shirts, etc?

Kay, what a wonderful, unforgettable evening! :heart:

L101
02-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Thanks for asking Gh! :laugh: I wanted to, but I'm guessing it means souvenirs, like signed pictures, cds, t-shirts, etc?

Kay, what a wonderful, unforgettable evening! :heart:

You're right Brooke, it means free stuff (usually connected to something) given away to lucky lucky people !!

I laughed when I read that he used that word - it's such a '70's term and I can just picture Glenn saying I got to get the swag bags ready for my girls :grin:

UndertheWire
02-12-2016, 11:48 AM
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t450/hairynosed/swag_zpss4lutrxm.jpg

shunlvswx
02-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Its usually free stuff that comes from the sponsors of the event. Sometimes they have nice stuff in there.

Outlawman13
02-12-2016, 01:39 PM
I have always wondered what swag ment as well! Thank you for explaining!

Woodstock
02-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Ladies, Thank you so much for sharing your stories! I enjoyed reading them. You're lucky to have such amazing memories of Glenn.

shunlvswx
02-12-2016, 02:08 PM
Great stories, Soda and Dreamer. I would had been like you guys too. I wouldn't had answer an unknown number. If they needed something, they would leave a voice.

Glenn really was a great guy. Thank you ladies for sharing your story. I wish I've gotten to meet him.

Where is Lissa now? I think she was gone by the time I came to the Border.

Freypower
02-12-2016, 04:28 PM
Great stories, Soda and Dreamer. I would had been like you guys too. I wouldn't had answer an unknown number. If they needed something, they would leave a voice.

Glenn really was a great guy. Thank you ladies for sharing your story. I wish I've gotten to meet him.

Where is Lissa now? I think she was gone by the time I came to the Border.

She is PerfectLittleSister but she doesn't post often.

As for swag....

'Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong
Under the shade of a coolibah tree'....

the opening lines of a famous Australian folk song called Waltzing Matilda. It's weird to hear it used in this context.

AlreadyGone95
02-12-2016, 04:35 PM
I know "swag" meaning your style or appearance. (Your swagger). Ie: I've got my swag on. Soulja Boy's song Pretty Boy Swag made that word become extremely popular during my 8th grade year in school. For my generation, it's taken on a different meaning.

UndertheWire
02-12-2016, 04:50 PM
In the comics I read in the 60s and 70s, "swag" was what a burgular carried in his bag (see the picture I posted above). I can how the word came to be the freebies you would get given at a trade show.

I've also come across an australian "swag" - in that case a kind of groundsheet and sleeping bag used for sleeping out without a tent.

Brooke
02-12-2016, 05:17 PM
I've never really heard the word used here. It was odd for me to think that Glenn used it so freely! :laugh:

sodascouts
02-12-2016, 07:30 PM
You know, I had no idea "swag" was currently a slang term basically meaning "cool." I always associated it with getting free stuff from events. ("The industry party had some great swag bags - I got the latest iPhone!" etc.) That's how Glenn meant it, jokingly.

Tori
02-12-2016, 08:20 PM
I always used swag as a term for merch at events/concerts and whatnot, but yeah, it's gotten pretty popular among us younger folk as meaning "cool" or carrying yourself with an air of coolness. Not as much today, but a couple years ago it got really big.

I came home from college today for the first time since Christmas break to spend the weekend with my family and celebrate my birthday which was a few days ago. My sister and I went to dinner with my mom, and we got to talking about the Eagles and Glenn. It was the first time I'd talked to my mom about it in person, since Glenn passed the day I got back to school from break. We reminisced about the shows we've been to and generally talked about our disbelief that Glenn's really gone. It's hard to believe it's almost been a month now, but chatting about Glenn really put a smile on my face. :)

LuvTim
02-12-2016, 08:29 PM
I always used swag as a term for merch at events/concerts and whatnot, but yeah, it's gotten pretty popular among us younger folk as meaning "cool" or carrying yourself with an air of coolness. Not as much today, but a couple years ago it got really big.

I came home from college today for the first time since Christmas break to spend the weekend with my family and celebrate my birthday which was a few days ago. My sister and I went to dinner with my mom, and we got to talking about the Eagles and Glenn. It was the first time I'd talked to my mom about it in person, since Glenn passed the day I got back to school from break. We reminisced about the shows we've been to and generally talked about our disbelief that Glenn's really gone. It's hard to believe it's almost been a month now, but chatting about Glenn really put a smile on my face. :)

Happy belated birthday, Tori. :-)
I'm glad you had that chat time about Glenn and his passing with your mom.
It truly is so hard to believe that he's really gone.

Outlawman13
02-12-2016, 08:35 PM
Happy late birthday Tori!! It is hard to imagine that Glenn is gone, but so glad that you and your mom reminisced about all of the good times like that! Glenn always puts a smile on my face as well! I still can't believe about his passing!

SilverAcidRayne
02-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Happy Belated Maam... :)

I swear this man has made me bipolar. I cant read anything about him without tearing up. I know I will have to watch them. but I cant help but wonder if Randy and Felder is gonna at least be there if not performing.

Glennhoney
02-12-2016, 09:12 PM
..thanks for the defination...I'd never heard the term before..

buffyfan145
02-12-2016, 09:35 PM
I knew about the two meanings for swag even though I'm somewhat younger, but I think it's from me watching Entertainment Tonight in the 90s/early 2000s and their coverage of the Oscars and Emmys and how all the actors and presenters got free swag. I know we usually just call it free merch now (short for merchandise).

NOLA
02-13-2016, 09:52 AM
Soda and Dreamer, thank you so much for sharing your wonderful and unique fan experiences! Though, I feel that you meant so much more to Glenn than just being his fans -- you were his friends. :) :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
02-13-2016, 03:23 PM
I'll add my thanks for telling us of your experience. I enjoyed both of your accounts very much. I still can't get over the idea of receiving a phonecall from Glenn Frey!

02-13-2016, 07:18 PM
Yeah - I'm from the same era as Glenn, so swag to me means giveaway merch. However, I have heard expressions such as 'walks with a swagger', so I can see how it has morphed into meaning something cool. However, since I'm old, I personally never heard anyone use it in that context.

And thanks everyone again for your comments. I'm glad you all enjoyed reading about our experiences with Glenn. And no worry if you are shaking your head in disbelief - I still do the same thing from time to time. :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
02-13-2016, 07:28 PM
I can only provide third-hand stories, but here's one I haven't seen posted.

Not long after The Eagles guitarist and co-founder Glenn Frey, 67, died on Monday, Tallahassee’s humorous poet Chuck Porretto took to his Facebook page to share a personal story about the famous musician.
“He was the most authentically normal celebrity I ever met,” Porretto said.

In 1985, Porretto was working on a TV commercial shoot for Pepsi-Cola in Miami. It was directed by Ridley Scott (“The Martian”), had a budget of $8 million and starred Don Johnson (“Miami Vice”) and Frey.

“One of my duties was to bring the talent, team and visitors to and from the airport,” Porretto wrote on Tuesday. “Except for Don Johnson, for he was flown in and out in a private helicopter, as he was shooting the commercial and his hit show simultaneously.”

One day, Frey asked for a beer from craft services but was disappointed when he learned there were no long-neck bottles of Budweiser in stock. He settled for water instead.

“Throughout the day, Glenn could be heard lamenting a time or two about the lack of his favorite brew,” Porretto said.
That night, Porretto bought six cases of long-neck Budweiser and delivered them to craft services the next day.

“(I) knocked on his trailer with a bottle of his favorite beer in my hand,” Porretto said. “His face lit up with a smile and his thankfulness was profuse. The next three or four days I was thanked by him whenever our paths crossed.”

During a nighttime shoot, when Porretto was wrangling crowds of extras for a big dance scene, Frey walked up and told the extras to “treat my friend Chuck right, he has a tough job.”

“I was immediately transformed into a celebrity myself for the next six hours, through the magic of star-power transference,” Porretto said. “I will not get into how I exploited that temporary fame.”http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/01/19/glenn-frey-buds-you/79014714/

Jonny Come Lately
02-13-2016, 07:37 PM
Soda and dreamer, thank you for sharing your stories with us. I can only imagine how fantastic it must have been for you lucky people to get to meet Glenn, and absolutely great to hear about how generous he was with you.

Re: 'swag', one example of a song which uses this term is Mark Knopfler's 5.15 AM, which has the lyric 'He picks up the swag they gaily gave away' (I've a posted a link to a video of the song; the relevant section starts after about 2:42).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnrPq6ejZmg

The use of the word in this song again this matches the definition of swag as merchandise, although the difference here is that the 'bandit man' is not supposed to be taking this swag, which ultimately proves his downfall.

UndertheWire
02-13-2016, 07:42 PM
John Einarson (who wrote a book about the roots of country rock) talked about Glenn and the Eagles. It's not that exciting, so I'll just post a link.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-rock-historian-devastated-after-death-of-eagles-co-founder-glenn-frey-1.3410044

(I'm actually part way through reading that book but it's not exactly a page-turner.)

timfan
02-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Pebble Beach Pro am Tribute to Glenn..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU5Bulm8aCs

buffyfan145
02-14-2016, 05:45 PM
I was going to post that about Pebble Beach as CBS showed it again during their coverage this afternoon. I think they first aired it on the Golf Channel on Thursday.

sodascouts
02-14-2016, 11:01 PM
I spent the weekend in Memphis with my cousin and aunt. While there, I saw (as expected) the Beale Street Rock'n'Roll Museum display which has Glenn in it:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/rocknrollmuseumdisplaydetail.jpg

What I didn't expect to see, though, was something in the Lansky Bros. shop. The Lansky Bros. are known as the "clothiers to the King" because they made all of Elvis' clothes. They also made clothes for many, many other musicians. Walking through there, I noticed many guitars hanging on the wall, signed by all the musicians who had been the store's customers. You can see where this is going, right?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/guitarclothierpeabody.jpg

I audibly gasped. I never knew that Glenn had shopped there, or that they had his guitar on the wall. A lady who worked at the store came up and told me she always thought he had an beautiful voice. I wish I had thought to ask her if she'd met him personally when he came to the store, but I was just too dumbstruck by the whole thing.

Memphis loves Glenn Frey. :)

Angels4BobSeger
02-15-2016, 12:22 AM
I remember Glen's wonderful music.

But I also remember him as one of the young teens who would hang around Bob Seger in the sixties. He was one of the kids who would hang out sometimes at Bob's home that Bob shared with his Mother in Ann Arbor. Bob and his Mother lived in Pauline Blvd. back then. I do believe Glen was one of the kids just like me sitting on Charlotte Seger's porch waiting for Bob.

buffyfan145
02-15-2016, 10:46 AM
That's awesome that guitar's in that store in Memphis. I had no idea he shopped there either and I had heard of them too as I love Elvis as well. And that's a great story about Glenn & Bob. I'm really looking forward to the Grammys tribute tonight but it is going to be so emotional and I already am just thinking about it.

AlreadyGone95
02-15-2016, 12:07 PM
That's great to find something like that that you weren't expecting, Soda! Both the photo and the guitar are cool. (OT: I see Eeic Clapton's photo below Glenn's.)

02-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Love the pictures, Soda. I remember that picture of Glenn in the Beale Street Rock and Roll Museum and how excited we got when we saw it. So, I can imagine how excited you were to see that guitar in Lansky Bros. I can think of several of Glenn's jackets that could have come from there.

Outlawman13
02-15-2016, 01:49 PM
That is so amazing Soda! I bet you were excited to see all of that on the wall!! Love that picture of Glenn and his guitar!! Memphis sure does love Glenn! Now I have to go there sometime soon!

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 07:11 PM
8 years ago, Feb 2008:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/pebblebeach2008/DSC01015.jpg

Again, I was a lot fatter then, but I'll treasure it. He was so sweet to us.

My Hero.

Prettymaid
02-15-2016, 07:16 PM
6 years ago, Feb 2008:

You mean 8 years ago.

You're fortunate to have several wonderful memories of interacting with Glenn. Treasure them.

sodascouts
02-15-2016, 07:23 PM
Oops. I corrected it. Thanks. And you're right. I will certainly treasure them.

Brooke
02-16-2016, 02:24 PM
Very cool finds for you, Soda! Thanks for sharing!

JennyCH
02-16-2016, 03:47 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed your entertaining and highly detailed remembrances of Glenn (the golf tournament at Pebble Beach and Niagara Falls). Through you, I've lived the Glenn experience up close and personal. Thanks so much for confirming what I always felt to be true in my heart - he was a great person, down to earth, great to the fans, while being soooo talented!!

UndertheWire
02-16-2016, 03:52 PM
There's a Rolling Stone podcast that includes an interview with Cameron Crowe where he remembers Glenn. I forgot to note when the interview starts, but somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes in and lasts about 10 minutes.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rolling-stone-music-now-podcast-beyonce-glenn-frey-and-more-20160216

Of special note, Cameron talks about "When a bad boy meets a bad girl in the night" and says it was a Glenn Frey/Joni Mitchell co-write!

ETA: Soda has a version of "Show Me the Money" available to download (Glenn on backing vocals?).
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/guest/showmethemoney.htm

AlreadyGone95
02-16-2016, 04:22 PM
That was a cool listen. Love hearing above the '75 RS story, and all of the great little tidbits.

"Don, thanks for all of the great(crossed out) good music, Brian Wilson" :hilarious:

Freypower
02-16-2016, 04:47 PM
There's a Rolling Stone podcast that includes an interview with Cameron Crowe where he remembers Glenn. I forgot to note when the interview starts, but somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes in and lasts about 10 minutes.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rolling-stone-music-now-podcast-beyonce-glenn-frey-and-more-20160216

Of special note, Cameron talks about "When a bad boy meets a bad girl in the night" and says it was a Glenn Frey/Joni Mitchell co-write!

ETA: Soda has a version of "Show Me the Money" available to download (Glenn on backing vocals?).

He sings co lead on Show Me The Money, not just backing vocals.

JanetteG
02-16-2016, 05:26 PM
Hello from the UK. I'm a little late posting here because Glenn's death hit me so hard, I took a while to process my feelings. I'm a novelist and journalist who usually writes for publications like "The Times" and "BBC Music Mag" on classical music and opera but when I heard the announcement of Glenn's death, I was parachuted back into the past, to my youth in the 70s and a musical world that had a power and depth of emotion that I had forgotten I could feel. There was no other group quite like the Eagles - no sound that could paint a whole era, a landscape the way they did. If Bowie could show us how it appeared, how it looked to be a human being, Glenn and the Eagles told us how it felt.

Perhaps that is why Glenn's death devastated me - and I think has hit many of us harder than we would ever have imagined. These past few weeks, I found out that I am still 20 years old in my heart - no matter how sophisticated I thought I and my tastes were. I've written about this at greater length on a classical music blog that I keep. I need to share these feelings because they have taken me by surprise. I hope they bring some comfort to some of you :http://janettegriffithsonwagner.blogspot.co.uk

sodascouts
02-16-2016, 08:15 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Janette.

Outlawman13
02-16-2016, 11:24 PM

LOL that Show Me The Money song makes me laugh so much!! I can so see him say this on Jerry Maguire! I remember Glenn being on the Jerry Maguire movie and telling Tom Cruise off! I just love this man so very much!!

deb828
02-16-2016, 11:53 PM
Hello from the UK. I'm a little late posting here because Glenn's death hit me so hard, I took a while to process my feelings. I'm a novelist and journalist who usually writes for publications like "The Times" and "BBC Music Mag" on classical music and opera but when I heard the announcement of Glenn's death, I was parachuted back into the past, to my youth in the 70s and a musical world that had a power and depth of emotion that I had forgotten I could feel. There was no other group quite like the Eagles - no sound that could paint a whole era, a landscape the way they did. If Bowie could show us how it appeared, how it looked to be a human being, Glenn and the Eagles told us how it felt.

Perhaps that is why Glenn's death devastated me - and I think has hit many of us harder than we would ever have imagined. These past few weeks, I found out that I am still 20 years old in my heart - no matter how sophisticated I thought I and my tastes were. I've written about this at greater length on a classical music blog that I keep. I need to share these feelings because they have taken me by surprise. I hope they bring some comfort to some of you :http://janettegriffithsonwagner.blogspot.co.uk
Loved that, Janette. You made me cry, but your words are beautiful, and so true for me, too. My 20 year old self loved him, too, for all these years.

AlreadyGone95
02-17-2016, 12:17 AM
Janette, that is beautiful. I had to wipe a few tears from my eyes. I can't understand what it's like to feel like I'm 20 again, as I'm only 20 myself, but Glenn had ( and still has) a way of mesmerizing people. The whole band does, too!

GlennLover
02-17-2016, 12:19 AM
By the end of the blog I was in tears. Thank you for posting the link to your blog, Janette.

Outlawman13
02-17-2016, 12:24 AM
Thank you for your words Janette!!!

sodascouts
02-17-2016, 01:05 AM
My pleasure, redstorm.

I don't think this expanded version of the interview with Bob Seger has been posted yet. It's called "Bob Seger on Glenn Frey: Glenn Was My Cheerleader" (http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/01/18/bob-seger-friend-glenn-frey-he-my-cheerleader/78984718/):
Choking up as he reflected on a deep, abiding 50-year friendship, Bob Seger paid tribute to Glenn Frey, who died Monday after a series of medical complications.

"I just want the world to know he was a truly great artist and a truly great guy," Seger told the Free Press. "He was a joy to be around. He had a fantastic sense of humor. He was whip smart, just brilliant, even at 18 years old when I met him."

Seger last saw Frey, a fellow Detroit native, when the Eagles played Joe Louis Arena in July: "He was in a great mood. His voice sounded great," Seger recalled. "(The song) ‘Saturday Night’ — when you hear that harmony, it’s still mind-boggling how truly wonderful it is. And he created that."

Backstage at a previous Eagles show at the Palace of Auburn Hills, Seger chatted with Don Henley and Joe Walsh as they awaited Frey's last-minute arrival direct from L.A., where he'd stayed for one of his children's graduations. Seger recalled Frey's words as the latter got to the Palace by the skin of his teeth: "Well, I guess I win Dad of the Year!"

"He loved his family," Seger said of Frey, who is survived by his wife, Cindy Frey, a daughter and two sons. "He loved those kids. He was devoted to them. He was so much more than people knew he was."

The pair became tight in the mid-'60s, when 18-year-old Frey — three years younger than Seger — was working the Detroit scene with the rock band the Mushrooms, playing the Hideout clubs operated by Seger manager Punch Andrews.

"The most important thing that happened to me in Detroit was meeting Bob and getting to know him," Frey told the Free Press in 2003. "He took me under his wing."

Seger and Frey quickly took to one another, sharing musical discoveries, trading songwriting tips, and forming a bond that would endure as both blossomed into household names in the rock world.

"We (realized) that songwriting was essential: It makes you original. That was the bottom line," Seger said Monday. "We were both going to be original songwriters, so that nobody could compare us to anybody else. Songwriting was key to the whole operation. And obviously he was very good at it."

(http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/01/18/glenn-frey-detroit-dead-at-67/78977100/)Although Seger scored a hit with 1968's "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" — for which Frey provided acoustic guitar and backing vocals — it was the younger musician who would first taste sustained success, as the Eagles broke big out of California in the early 1970s. Their musical link would remain tight: the Eagles sang backup on Seger material such as "Fire Lake," Frey sang backup on "Against the Wind," and Seger co-wrote the Eagles smash "Heartache Tonight."

"He was so successful, and I was so happy for his success," Seger said. "And he was always positive about my career. He was the first guy to come see me when I was writing (1975's) ‘Beautiful Loser’ — ‘Oh, that’s good, that’s good, keep at it, keep at it!’ He was a cheerleader for me. He was always a positive influence for me, throughout my career.”

Often pausing to choke back tears as he spoke, Seger brightened as he expounded on Frey's musical gifts.

"He was classically trained as a kid on piano, and those chords you hear on 'Desperado' and 'The Last Resort' — those are Glenn’s chords," he said. "Henley wrote probably 60 to 70 percent of the lyrics, but those are Glenn's chords. If you can judge songwriters by the cash register, they don't get much better than Glenn Frey."

“Ask Henley, ask any of them: Glenn was the leader of the Eagles. Throughout the Eagles' career, they had a nickname for him. He was the Lone Arranger.”

Seger emphasized that Frey's skills extended well beyond songwriting, vocals and guitar.

"Ask Henley, ask any of them: Glenn was the leader of the Eagles," he said. "Throughout the Eagles' career, they had a nickname for him. He was the Lone Arranger."

Like Seger, Frey was drawn to soul music as a youngster. That influence ran through Frey's work, Seger said: "You can kind of hear it on 'Heartache Tonight,' a lot in 'The Long Run,' and a whole lot in 'One of These Nights.' That's why 'True Love' is my favorite song from his solo career — it's so Al Green.

"He loved Marvin Gaye, he loved Otis Redding. He named his youngest son Otis. He loved Al Green, he loved Michael Jackson's 'Rock With You.' He drove me crazy with that record!" Seger continued. "He was in a country-rock band, but he loved soul music."

As the Eagles' tour wrapped up in the summer, Frey had begun work with New York writer Robert Wuhl on a play to be titled "Hotel California," Seger said. They'd planned to meet up in Ann Arbor, where Frey would be working out the production with an area theater group.

But then Seger got the grim word from Henley in November: Frey, plagued by lifelong colitis and a diminished immune system, was in New York's Columbia University Medical Center having suffered from a virulent bout of pneumonia. Frey had been "a workout warrior from his 30s to his 60s," as Seger put it, but rheumatoid arthritis and other complications had taken their toll.

"He was in a coma, and he'd come out, but then he couldn't breathe. They’d put him back into the coma," he said.
"They were trying like hell to keep him alive," Seger said. "He'd been at Columbia University Medical Center since November. (Eagles manager) Irving (Azoff) pulled every ace out of the hole — he had the eight best specialists working on Glenn. About a month ago, they had to throw up their hands."

Seger broke down as he recounted the words of Frey's daughter, Taylor, leading into the musician's final month: From here out, she said, her father could be supported only by prayer.

For Seger, the bond with Frey will go on, built on a lifetime of memories — and a towering body of musical work.
"He would never fail to start with telling me how grateful he was that audiences were still there," Seger said. "He loved the band. He loved the fact he could keep doing this. And he kept doing this until six months before he died."

SilverAcidRayne
02-17-2016, 01:37 AM
Miss Janette. Thank you. Even though I'm much younger and in no way even close to the history that all of you have I find that to be very beautiful. I've said it before. We have lost quite a few people lately but Glenn is very close to my heart. I won't be over this for quite a while

Tori
02-17-2016, 02:01 AM
Seger broke down as he recounted the words of Frey's daughter, Taylor, leading into the musician's final month: From here out, she said, her father could be supported only by prayer.

Well, damn. That really got to me. :( I continue to be so heartbroken for his family.

Aussiefan
02-17-2016, 02:44 AM
Thank you for posting Bob's article. I'm sitting here now with tears in my eyes at the pain we are all going through. But we were blessed to be alive in the years that gave us Glenn Frey and the other boys....

AlreadyGone95
02-17-2016, 02:57 AM
Even almost a month later, the ending of that Seger article brings tears to my eyes. :weep:. I can't stop thinking about what Cindy, Taylor, Deacon, and Otis went through in Glenn's last few months and what they're going through now.

UndertheWire
02-17-2016, 06:01 AM
Janette, thank you for your blog. I found it so easy to relate to. When I watched the History of the Eagles documentary, it awoke my inner 14-year-old and luckily I was able to take that girl to the Eagles concert she'd missed 40 years earlier. Even though the young men were encased in the bodies of these older men, some of the magic was still there.

NYC Fan
02-17-2016, 07:24 AM
Janette-

Thank you for sharing that. It was really lovely, and is a lot of what I have been feeling. Glenn's passing has hit me very hard, and it has been a comfort to come here and read that others feel the same way. And you put into words a lot of the things that I have thought about as far as aging and lost youth. I knew exactly which picture you were describing, because I saved it from an article the other day. It's always been one of my favorites.

Although it was a few years later than that photo, I have a great memory of seeing the Eagles at the Yale Bowl right before they broke up. I could never have known what was going on behind the scenes, but what I remember is a sun soaked day on the Yale Bowl field with a bunch of friends. We had slept out in the park across the street the night before, and run through the gates to get a prime spot on the field. It was one of those days that is burned into my memory. Glenn had on a shirt with a huge floral pattern, the new haircut, which I was still getting used to, and a big grin. They were of course wonderful, and when the live album came out and included a huge poster of that concert, I could pretty much pinpoint us on the field, about 50 feet in front of the stage.

I digress, but thanks for posting the link to your blog. Once again, tears fell, but in a good way. Didn't Dr. Seuss say "don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"? I've been feeling that way a lot lately...

GlennLover
02-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Even almost a month later, the ending of that Seger article brings tears to my eyes. :weep:. I can't stop thinking about what Cindy, Taylor, Deacon, and Otis went through in Glenn's last few months and what they're going through now.

It must be terribly difficult for his dad as well. My heart breaks for him too. :sad:

buffyfan145
02-17-2016, 11:30 AM
Loved reading your post Janette, and Bob's article just made me sad again. I feel so bad for Glenn's family. In a way I kind of understand what's going on as one of my best friends passed away 4 years ago in April as he was in a car accident and never recovered. Seeing him in the coma and how he was in it for about a month too till his family decided to let him go was one of the worst times in my life. Then my Grandpa passed away last May but he was sickly for 10 years so we knew it was coming. I miss them both every day but it does get better as I know they're in a better place. I know some still think it's odd to mourn a celebrity the same as someone you know in real life, but again they all effect your life in different ways. I was deeply effected too by George Harrison's and Robin Williams' deaths as well and I loved them both as I loved Glenn.

UndertheWire
02-17-2016, 11:55 AM
I keep replaying the Cameron Crowe Rolling Stone podcast. I love that Cameron sounds so like Glenn when he delivers Glenn's lines.
Also, this might have been aimed at the magazine:

I think you celebrate him by not marginalising the Eagles and knowing it was a tough and brilliantly executed journey of a great american band.

GlennLover
02-17-2016, 12:32 PM
I keep replaying the Cameron Crowe Rolling Stone podcast. I love that Cameron sounds so like Glenn when he delivers Glenn's lines.
Also, this might have been aimed at the magazine:

I felt that the quote was aimed at RS.

Angels4BobSeger
02-17-2016, 01:05 PM
Thank you for sharing Soda.

You have wonderful memories.

shunlvswx
02-17-2016, 01:08 PM
That article was soo sad. I started to cry especially what Taylor said. Its so hard to hear how hard they tried to keep Glenn alive and then what he was going through with pneumonia. I'm just glad he's no in pain anymore and he's pain free now.

UndertheWire
02-17-2016, 01:58 PM
This probably isn't worth a cut-and-paste, but it's an MCA record exec who can't remember much about a visit to Glenn's house/studio in 1992.
http://bestclassicbands.com/label-exec-reflects-on-glenn-frey-solo-album-2-4-16/

deb828
02-17-2016, 03:03 PM
Janette, thank you for your blog. I found it so easy to relate to. When I watched the History of the Eagles documentary, it awoke my inner 14-year-old and luckily I was able to take that girl to the Eagles concert she'd missed 40 years earlier. Even though the young men were encased in the bodies of these older men, some of the magic was still there.
Agree with you! I was able to take my much older self to see them for the first time in 2014, along with my then 17 year old son. So glad we decided to spend the money and share that great experience. The magic was still there, and it made me feel young for while.
So funny that some of the above posters are so young--I think that is so great! My son loved the concert, too!

SilverAcidRayne
02-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Agree with you! I was able to take my much older self to see them for the first time in 2014, along with my then 17 year old son. So glad we decided to spend the money and share that great experience. The magic was still there, and it made me feel young for while.
So funny that some of the above posters are so young--I think that is so great! My son loved the concert, too!

I just turned 40. Lol

I knew of Glenn and Don before I was deeply familiar with the eagles. Grew up with their solo careers. I remember having a small crush on Don not knowing his background. Boy did I regret not knowing :hilarious: they were a part of a generation man. I admire all of you because you lived with their music and grew with them.

Tori
02-17-2016, 03:44 PM
We're talking young people... I was born two freakin' years after the reunion! :hilarious: And I'm so so so lucky I got to see them four times before I even turned 20. They really do appeal to all generations, and I'm lucky that these talented guys became my lifelong loves. :)

deb828
02-17-2016, 03:44 PM
Well, we are all united now, and their music will live on through the younger people who love them. Like Janette said in her blog, I too lost track of them for a time, then rediscovered them. But I do remember my 17 year old self in the summer of '72, and all of those Eagles songs that were the soundtrack for high school and college. Which the reality of, like JD Souther said (paraphrasing), might not have matched the dreamlike quality the songs evoke about the seventies! I only wish I could have seen them back then. But I am still grateful that I got to see them.

JanetteG
02-17-2016, 03:45 PM
The Grammy tribute saddened me. I thought the band did what they set out to do and that did it with great professionalism despite their obvious sorrow. But I felt the Grammy organization could have done better by Glenn - a few words, a recognition of his huge contribution.

I have to say that as Don Henley hit that cymbal at the end, I thought "that is the Eagles' last heartbeat."

Thanks to those of you who have thanked me for my rather long tribute and thoughts on why Glenn's death has hit us so hard. I'm grateful to you all for taking the time to read it. And as somebody else said, I am touched by how young some of the other contributors are. That says a lot for the power of the music. For those who may have missed it here is a link to my article on Glenn and the deep sadness of his passing. http://janettegriffithsonwagner.blogspot.co.uk

deb828
02-17-2016, 03:47 PM
Agree with you Janette. I thought "these guys are so great, and this is the end" during the song. They are so great.

AlreadyGone95
02-17-2016, 03:57 PM
We're talking young people... I was born two freakin' years after the reunion! :hilarious: And I'm so so so lucky I got to see them four times before I even turned 20. They really do appeal to all generations, and I'm lucky that these talented guys became my lifelong loves. :)

I was born one year after the reunion myself. I'm grateful for my parents and my uncle for getting me started with my love of music, rock music in particularly. I'm a bit envious that they got to experience the music that I love when it was fresh and new. I'll never get to see the Eagles live, but at least their music does and will continue to live on! Great music knows no boundaries.

I also thought of the Grammys as the end, but I do hope for something more appropriate than what the guys were subjected to at the Grammys. It wasn't befitting of a goodbye tribute to Glenn nor the band itself.

Freypower
02-17-2016, 06:40 PM

Magnfiicent.

You made me want to dedicate Ride Of The Valkyries to him. (By the way I liked your piece on the use of the Siegfried Idyll on the Tube).

When I did an iTunes memorial playlist I included Barber's Adagio for Strings & Pachelbel's Canon. I didn't think of Wagner. But 'Ride' is what Glenn's free spirit is, wherever he is now, riding high & free.

JanetteG
02-17-2016, 07:01 PM
Thanks Freypower. I chuckled through tears when I read just after Glenn's death that a commenter, on a Youtube thread I think, wished for Valkyries to carry him up to Valhalla. And why not? I'm glad you liked the article. As I said I just needed to share some surprisingly fierce feelings. Warmest wishes - i'd be interested to hear your final memorial music list.

Freypower
02-17-2016, 07:32 PM
Thanks Freypower. I chuckled through tears when I read just after Glenn's death that a commenter, on a Youtube thread I think, wished for Valkyries to carry him up to Valhalla. And why not? I'm glad you liked the article. As I said I just needed to share some surprisingly fierce feelings. Warmest wishes - i'd be interested to hear your final memorial music list.

There were 100 songs & I did actually post a screenshot in another thread which I have since deleted.

JanetteG
02-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Can I just say how much I loved that, Janette? You just summed it up for a whole slew of people. I wish I had your way with words.

And "Watching the old concert footage makes one just despise the concept of time?" Whoever wrote that just nailed it, too. I completely agree.

I agree about that line. I am trying to remember where I saw it. Thanks for your kind words. Having a way with words is my job. But this time the words were written through a lot of tears. I hope I managed to make some sense of this sad time for us all. Warmest wishes.

Windeagle
02-18-2016, 06:19 PM
I had a very bittersweet dream last night. I was at a Glenn Frey solo show at a very intimate seaside venue. You could see he was hurting a bit, but that he was gonna rock his way through the entire show. He did and it was amazing. Afterwards, I commented to my daughter, who had gone to the show with me, that it just showed how you can't trust what you read on the internet. Obviously, those rumors about Glenn's death were untrue.

We left the venue and I sort of drifted toward consciousness. As I woke up, I was happy that all those awful rumors were false...until I remembered that it was in fact the dream that wasn't real. I was crushed all over again.

I wanted to share with all of you because I knew you'd understand.

02-18-2016, 07:04 PM
Yes - we do understand, WE!

And WOW - if we could make dreams come true, that one would have to be at the top of the list.

JennyCH
02-18-2016, 07:16 PM
a link to my article on Glenn and the deep sadness of his passing. http://janettegriffithsonwagner.blogspot.co.uk

So completely beautiful and insightful. sooo true. :smile:

sodascouts
02-18-2016, 10:31 PM
I had a very bittersweet dream last night. I was at a Glenn Frey solo show at a very intimate seaside venue. You could see he was hurting a bit, but that he was gonna rock his way through the entire show. He did and it was amazing. Afterwards, I commented to my daughter, who had gone to the show with me, that it just showed how you can't trust what you read on the internet. Obviously, those rumors about Glenn's death were untrue.

We left the venue and I sort of drifted toward consciousness. As I woke up, I was happy that all those awful rumors were false...until I remembered that it was in fact the dream that wasn't real. I was crushed all over again.

I wanted to share with all of you because I knew you'd understand.

Aw. Now that's a dream we all wish would come true.

UndertheWire
02-19-2016, 05:17 AM
Can it get much sweeter than the 9th grade girlfriend he kept in touch with for the next 50 years? There's a photo of her on the website.

Months before the Eagles released “Take it Easy” in 1972, Glenn Frey performed the song on a second-hand guitar for a former high school girlfriend in Royal Oak.

Nanci Kezlarian had just finished graduate school when her ninth-grade boyfriend, now an emerging rock star, stopped in for a visit.

“I had a guitar I bought at garage sale,” said Kezlarian, 67, who is now a therapist in Brentwood, Calif. “He told me to bring it up from the basement. He said, ‘Let me play you a song we’re working on’ and played ‘Take it Easy.’ It was in our family room on Hendrie Boulevard. I loved it.”

Frey, who died last month, stayed in touch with a number of his former Dondero High School classmates over the years. The naming of Glenn Frey Drive next to his old high school --now Royal Oak Middle School -- inaugurated a trip down memory lane this week for those who knew him.

The official unveiling of the newly named street Thursday was planned with WCSX - 94.7 FM personality Jim O’Brien, who promised a girl in a flatbed Ford to evoke the lyrics of “Take it Easy.”

Months after Frey’s family-room rendition of the Eagles early hit, he sent Kezlarian a postcard reminding her of the song.

“Now its number 23 in the nation and headed to the top 5 and a million records sold,” Frey wrote. “We’re touring with Jethro Tull, Procol Harum. It’s incredible. Love, Glenn.”

Kezlarian still has the postcard and a handful of letters Frey sent her. She last saw him at her Brentwood home in 2012.

She and fellow 1966 Dondero graduates Phil Moore and Bob Wilson got together this week in California to attend an invitation-only memorial tribute to Frey with his wife and others.

Wilson, a longtime friend of Frey’s who played with him in his high school band “The Subterraneans,” said Frey used to come back to Michigan in the early years and sometimes later on in his career.

“He had a fondness for Michigan,” said Wilson, who lives in Oxford. “And he had friends here like Bob Seager, Punch Andrews and the attorney Howard Arnkoff.”

Early on, it was apparent Frey had a deep interest in music and the determination to make things happen.

“He had leadership skills and he was fun,” Wilson said. “More than anything, Glenn Frey was fun.”

Frey made a point of visiting his friends at schools where they worked. He played piano and sang songs when Kezlarian was a teacher in the 1970s at West Bloomfield High School in Orchard Lake.

He also made in-person financial donations to the Upland Hills School in Oxford, an independent school for students ages 4 to 14, which Moore cofounded more than 40 years ago.

“He gave his time, talent and treasure to our school so that it would flourish -- and it did,” Moore said.

In addition to writing checks and visits to Upland Hills, Frey donated some of his guitars for auction so that students at the school could make a trip to Mexico several years ago.

Moore met Frey when they were 13 years old and involved in wrestling at the former Clara Barton Junior High School. They sat waiting with their opponents before bouts. Frey sized up Moore’s opponent then spoke to Moore.

“That guy looks like he could eat you for lunch,” Frey told him, and a friendship was born.

Years later when Frey was ready to make a donation to Moore’s school he showed up and talked with his former classmate.

“He said, ‘You don’t even have to wrestle me for it -- here’s my checkbook,” Moore recalled.

Frey met up with his old Dondero school friends at Kezlarian’s house in Brentwood a few times over the last eight years, but spurned email and sent written letters instead.

“He left the world better than he found it,” Moore said. “He believed he had done exactly what he set out to do.”

Frey lived in Brentwood after he started his family in the 1990s but moved to New York in 2012, the last year the former Dondero friends got together.

“Glenn wasn’t the type to hang out with a lot of celebrities,” Kezlarian said. “He was paying more attention to his inner self.”

Among the mementos she keeps is a copy of a menu from the former Golden Griddle Pancake House in Royal Oak. She wrote the date, April 15, 1963, on the menu at the time.

That was the day she and Frey ate there on their first date.

Frey was her first boyfriend and his mother, Nellie, drove the young couple to their stops that day.

“We went to play miniature golf, which was popular back then,” Kezlarian said. “This year will be the 50th anniversary of our graduating class from Dondero. It’s so painful for me know I’m never going to see Glenn again.”http://www.theoaklandpress.com/article/OP/20160218/NEWS/160219453

sodascouts
02-19-2016, 07:37 AM
Thanks for that. Now I understand why, when he signed something for me for the first time, he asked me if I spelled my name with an "i" or a "y."

I had forgotten that this would have been his classes' 50th. What a shame he never made it. He talked a lot about them at Pebble Beach the second time.

I love, love, love the fact that he kept in touch with those people and continued to keep them in his life. I'm also glad Cindy had a private ceremony with them, too.

AlreadyGone95
02-19-2016, 09:46 AM
WE- That's definitely a dream that we wish could be reality.

As for that article... wow. Another great insight into Glenn, the man behind the guitar. How nice of him to keep in contact with his former classmates over the years! It's articles like this that show the true man.

:weep: That ending brought a few tears to my eyes. It's very sad that Glenn won't get to attend his 50th class reunion.

buffyfan145
02-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Wow, that is such a great article. Love he kept in touch with his friends from his teenage years and all they said about him.

JanetteG
02-19-2016, 01:06 PM
So completely beautiful and insightful. sooo true. :smile:

A belated thank you. (I was travelling between the UK and Canada.) I am glad that I could share these sad, and in my case, surprising feelings. Warmest wishes to you.

02-19-2016, 01:25 PM
Yeah - That article from Glenn's classmate and former girlfriend brought tears to my eyes - sooooo heart wrenching and heart warming at the same time.

shunlvswx
02-19-2016, 02:10 PM
And I bet Glenn probably would had attended his 50th class reunion this year.

Wow!!! I still can't believe all the guys have been out of high school for 50 years.

I wonder how Glenn was in school. Was he the popular in school? Was he this or that? Glenn seem like a great guy. Everybody loved him.

Brooke
02-19-2016, 03:54 PM
Oh my, love, love this from his old girlfriend! Awesome!

OntheBorder74
02-19-2016, 05:30 PM
Its incredible discovering all these stories about him now, it's like were seeing a whole new side to him tragically too late. Thats the hardest, finding out more about him but knowing he's no longer in this world. :(

02-19-2016, 05:40 PM
I wonder how Glenn was in school. Was he the popular in school? Was he this or that? Glenn seem like a great guy. Everybody loved him.

I can't say how popular Glenn was in school, but I assume he was pretty well-known since his then band played at some of the high school's social events. He was in a class for gifted students in his middle school years, but I don't know about high school. From all accounts I've read though, he excelled academically. On the other hand, his classmates voted him as the student "most likely to inhale" in his senior year. :wink: :grin:

I don't know if everybody loved him, but it seems like the people who knew him best sure did.

Glennhoney
02-19-2016, 06:16 PM
..what an incredible man....:cry:

SilverAcidRayne
02-20-2016, 03:10 PM
I had one of those moments. where I thought I could take a long drive and blast the eagles like I used to. but I end up sobbing and trying to keep my car in the road. a long process. I know

Freypower
02-20-2016, 04:54 PM
My Special Moment was three years ago today (February 21).

For any new people who may have wondered about the signature here is the thread. The relevant post is on Page 2.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4110

I smiled reading about it again. I thought I would be upset but I wasn't.

I realise that it doesn't compare with the experiences of those who met him at Pebble Beach & Niagara Falls but it was the highlight of all my years as a fan.

Glennsallnighter
02-20-2016, 07:03 PM
As I said on FB FP, treasure that moment - I have no doubt you will.

I had one of those moments. where I thought I could take a long drive and blast the eagles like I used to. but I end up sobbing and trying to keep my car in the road. a long process. I know

That happened me yesterday - sobbing like a baby during POMPOY. You think you will be strong enough to play his music and then you just end tearing up.

UndertheWire
02-20-2016, 07:09 PM
I love all the personal memories that have been posted but I'll have to make do with transcribing Cameron Crowe's from the Rolling Stone podcast.

A really kind of game-changing kind of personality because Glenn kind of arrived with a big plan and a point of view that he was not going to hit the roadblocks that the guys he’d read about and heard about that he’d listened to and loved in the past had. Glenn was like, “to be paid is not a sin. I’m not going to let it change what I’m doing but I’m not going to the Wailing Wall if I get paid properly.” He really wanted to know that he wasn’t going to end up on the trash heap in any way. This work that he was doing, this playful team-oriented work that he was doing was going to be hopefully remembered for the songs not for any tragedy that cut their journey short and in that way it was like a coach or a team thing: “We’re going to go all the way. We’re going to take our time. We have a strong bench.” He was a guy who put you on the team as soon as you met him. You had a nickname. You had an invisible jersey that he put on you and you were with him. He was your wingman and you were his wingman and that was the way he moved.

SilverAcidRayne
02-20-2016, 07:13 PM
As I said on FB FP, treasure that moment - I have no doubt you will.

That happened me yesterday - sobbing like a baby during POMPOY. You think you will be strong enough to play his music and then you just end tearing up.

yes. that's exactly it. Desperado and Tequila Sunrise is out of my playlist for a while. lol

sodascouts
02-20-2016, 08:39 PM
I've been listening to his playlist on my iPod touch - the long one, with not only the released stuff but unreleased live material.

Today, I was playing the iPod through my car speakers, and "Peaceful Easy Feeling", the Hell Freezes Over outtake version, came on. It starts out with just his voice singing softly and it's so clear; it's like he was in the air all around me. I just reached out, touched the speaker and said out loud, "I miss you, Glenn." I was on my way to a wedding so I choked back the tears.

Sometimes, remembering Glenn Frey is painful right now and some songs hit harder than others, but I know one day I will be able to hear them and smile. "No tears allowed" right? Easier said than done, though!

Prettymaid
02-20-2016, 09:15 PM
We're getting there.

The song that touches me is Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise.

Sooner or later we all have to die
Sooner or later, that's a stone-cold fact,
Four men ride out and only three ride back

shunlvswx
02-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Its sad that a few of their songs now are coming true especially when it kinda deals with people leaving this world.

I heard Doolin Dalton for the first time in months on Pandora yesterday and I heard Doolin Dalton/Desperado reprise early this week. 4 men ride out and only 3 ride back. :weep:I always thought the lines leading to line was always powerful especially now with Glenn gone.

buffyfan145
02-20-2016, 10:53 PM
Thanks for posting what Cameron Crowe said!!! :D I love hearing more about their friendship so much. I recently rewatched "Almost Famous" and I always knew William & Russell were Cameron & Glenn and now I just love that movie even more. Especially how it proves the Lester Bangs character wrong that William will never be friends with a rockstar because Cameron and Glenn's friendship lasted this whole time. :D And it still makes me wonder if Cameron's mom ever yelled/gave advice at Glenn like those scenes with William's mom and her telling Russell he has to straighten up and prove he was a man of respect and to leave his mark, because he did. :)

It's weird too about how I've been able to listen to most of the Eagles and Glenn's solo songs without crying but hearing "Desperado" and the "Doolin Dalton/Desperado" reprise just has me in tears. I've for a long time have thought of "Desperado" with fitting some of my favorite fictional characters, especially the ones that get killed off, but now it just makes me think of Glenn and how it fits. :(

02-20-2016, 11:24 PM
My Special Moment was three years ago today (February 21).

For any new people who may have wondered about the signature here is the thread. The relevant post is on Page 2.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4110

I smiled reading about it again. I thought I would be upset but I wasn't.

I realise that it doesn't compare with the experiences of those who met him at Pebble Beach & Niagara Falls but it was the highlight of all my years as a fan.

Julie - It doesn't matter what experiences others have had. The important thing is how special your experiences with Glenn were for you. These are the kinds of moments that are yours only and you should cherish them forever.

Now, as far what songs affect us, I remember a few weeks ago that I just lost it when I first heard those words from Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise ...

Four men ride out and only three ride back.

Momma Tee
02-21-2016, 12:02 AM
I'm sitting in a karaoke bar right now watching my husband shoot pool. He's wearing the t-shirt we bought when we saw the HOTE concert in Atlanta in 2014 (probably hoping it will help him get lucky tonight! ;D ) I hear the beginning notes of Tequila Sunrise, and the tears begin to fall once again. Reality sucks!! :'{

SilverAcidRayne
02-21-2016, 12:31 AM
We're getting there.

The song that touches me is Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise.

Sooner or later we all have to die
Sooner or later, that's a stone-cold fact,
Four men ride out and only three ride back

Whoa. this does hit a note.... wow.

OntheBorder74
02-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Hey everyone not sure of youve seen this remarkable footage online of Glenn and his son playing and singing together onstage for a charity show at the Roxy in 2009. I think it was for an Aids charity and it features Deacon singing HC with his dad on backing vocals and then he does the ending guitar solo really well. Extroadinary fooatge also of YBTTC and TS, it features some of Glenns band but mainly Don Was and his two sons on guitar and drums. Incredible and the HC performance is emotional as his son is so young and does his father proud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB2_71tIOMw

UndertheWire
02-22-2016, 11:06 AM
Thanks for posting that. Don Was's wife, Emma Corfield, has posted lots of good quality video from the chairty shows they did in 2009 and 2010. She said this on her Facebook page:

Here are Glenn and Don playing with their sons, Deacon & Henry. Glenn was so generous to play the kids' benefit three years in a row and here's one song from the 2010 benefit at the House of Blues raising $ for AIDS orphans. Glenn was incredibly generous with his time, energy, music and wisdom. He was a tough task master and a perfectionist, but warm and welcoming and funny as hell. We're missing you terribly Glenn, and ache with the loss.
Thank you for the music, the love and the laughs. The Wases xoxox

buffyfan145
02-22-2016, 11:31 AM
I saw those vids a couple weeks back on Tumblr. So nice seeing Glenn and Deacon perform together. :)

Had an unexpected Glenn moment this morning as I heard Brooks and Dunn's song "You're Going to Miss Me When I'm Gone" and went into tears again. :( I forgot about this song as it's not one they play too much now but it did sound so much like an Eagles song. It got me remembering when I last saw Brooks and Dunn in concert and when they performed this the video screen behind them started showing pictures of famous celebrities that has passed like Johnny Cash, Dale Earnhardt, and even JFK. I remember too this song was a break up song but it somehow changed over the years as it got played at funerals, and them showing the photos made me realize how it fits that way. So hearing it now and how much is sounds like an Eagles song Glenn would've sang lead on I just started crying.

Brooke
02-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Hey everyone not sure of youve seen this remarkable footage online of Glenn and his son playing and singing together onstage for a charity show at the Roxy in 2009. I think it was for an Aids charity and it features Deacon singing HC with his dad on backing vocals and then he does the ending guitar solo really well. Extroadinary fooatge also of YBTTC and TS, it features some of Glenns band but mainly Don Was and his two sons on guitar and drums. Incredible and the HC performance is emotional as his son is so young and does his father proud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB2_71tIOMw

Love this! They did a great job and how nice of Glenn and Don W. to do this. I bet it was really fun to do this with their kids!

Thanks for sharing OtB!

02-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Soda and I were fortunate enough to see two of these benefits that Glenn performed at with Deacon and Don and Henry Was, as well as several of their other very talented classmates. Unfortunately, we missed the 2009 show. Below are the links to the threads if you want to read about them ...

The Roxy 2008 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797)

House of Blues 2010 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2304)

UndertheWire
02-22-2016, 11:49 AM
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, music fans of all ages, I am the ancient one, Glenn Frey, and this is Nepotism Incorporated. Welcome to an evening where Don Was and I make our children play songs that were written and recorded before they were born."

Brooke
02-22-2016, 11:55 AM
For some reason, This Way to Happiness has been stuck in my mind for the past few days. Soda mentioned that song last week and it's one of my favorite Glenn solo songs. These words just get me:

I've rolled this rig from coast to coast
I've seen alot, I've done more than most
I was like a sailor lost at sea
When, like an angel from above, you came down and rescued me

and

This way to happiness, the train is leavin'
Over the mountain, down to the sea
The highway to freedom is when you start believin'
This way to happiness for you and me

Bittersweet. I can just see Glenn singing this about Cindy. :sad:

And I know some of you can't listen to his songs yet, but I can't listen to anyone else. I have his songs on shuffle on my ipod and I can't change it. Somehow, they give me comfort hearing his voice.

02-22-2016, 12:04 PM
Here is a tribute to Glenn that was posted by one of his After Hours touring band members, Wade Biery. Some of us met Wade and chatted with him several times during Glenn's After Hours tour - he was very friendly and seemed like a really nice guy. There is a link to Wade's Facebook page earlier in this thread with the same writeup, but I'll go ahead and post it here ...

http://www.stillmusic.com/?p=1880

My TOUR WORK (http://www.stillmusic.com/?cat=300) - posted on January 18, 2016 by Wade Biery (http://www.stillmusic.com/?author=137)
Glenn Frey (http://www.stillmusic.com/?p=1880)

So yeh, Glenn has died…another of the Greats now gone.

I’m not the one to eulogize him. I worked with him for several years and of course that means I got to know him to some small degree, but of course I also knew him in only one segment of his long and amazing career, and I can hardly say that I *KNEW* him. That’s for his family, of course the other Eagles, his long time business partners, and all the other musicians who all knew him longer, better, and deeper than I ever would have or did. The guys that I worked with when I was with him had almost all worked with him as the Eagles band as well, so there’s lots of other people who can speak about him much better than I.

But of course it affects me, and a lot of people know I worked with him and they’re concerned and interested, so I’ll say a couple things….

First of all, I liked Glenn.

He was always cool with me, was generous with me and others when I was working with him, and although of course rock lore is full of all kinda stories, MY experience of him was good. There were times he would be in the same restaurant that some of us might be eating in, and our waiter would come over and say something like “the gentleman that was sitting over there has picked up your check”, and it would be a pretty big tab, but I always thought that was very classy. He didn’t have to do that, he just did. We often rode with him in his jet, (yeh I know, tough life!!), and sometimes he would just wander from chair to chair talking with different guys and just kinda hanging…he did that with me once and it seemed that for a bit he was enjoying just doing what we do, playing music and then hanging about after the gig talking…

He knew a lot about what he did of course, and I learned a few things from him, which at this point is teaching an old dog some tricks, but was he was very good at this thing and he had good thoughts about how it should be done….and yes of course, if he wanted something done a certain way, that’s how it was to be, NO question. And that was fine, he knew how to be Glenn Frey better than anyone else did for damn sure. And he was a REALLY good Glenn Frey, he could really sing, he could really play in the groove, and he knew how to run a show like a CEO….but maybe most of all, I think he actually still really LIKED it…like the part of him that made him get into it in the first place was STILL in him after all those years, and he would sing himself hoarse, get covered in sweat, and leave it all out there….I thought that was awesome, it made me like him more for it.

With him I got to do some things I’d never done before, and to play with an amazing group of musicians playing some of the best popular music that has ever been made. And yes, I’d look over singing harmony with him on like “Lyin’ Eyes” or another song where I’d be singing with just him and me on one of the verses and think, “Holy Shit, this is actually happening!!”, and feel validated for my life choices in a way that most people who do what I do never get a chance to be. If you get to play with some someone like Glenn, it makes some of the downsides of this musician life seem not quite so silly, so irresponsible and childish. There’s not many people who will pooh-pooh doing THAT, and for a guy who grew up a bit on the iffy side in Alaska, it was powerful for me.

Playing with Glenn I also got a chance to get to know and play with Joe Walsh a bit, who was one of my serious idols as a young musician growing up in Alaska, and I can’t say enough good about that experience for me, he’s a sweet guy and one of the greats in Rock music, it was thrilling and an honor.

My time with Glenn came at a time in my life that was very tough for me on a personal level, a difficult and very low period that made the work with him all the better for me, and it helped balance things out, and I’m grateful to him and others that I worked with during that time, it really mattered. The guys in the band were wonderful to me, very supportive and helpful both on and off stage, I made good friends and had some great times.

Today I was sitting at a table in Starbucks when my phone started blowing up and I saw what I was being told was true….I was almost surprised how bad I felt about it, but I did; he was a Big Deal guy, but also someone that I worked with quite a bit and did a lot with, it matters.
I want to mention my good buddy Jonathan Clark. Without Jonathan I wouldn’t have had many of the good gigs I’ve had in my life…yes…WE have to carry our weight when we get in the room, but someone has to get us INTO the room, and a number of times for me that was Jonathan, and definitely so in the case of Glenn. Thank you for that!

I really enjoyed my time with Glenn, and it was truly an honor to have been involved with even my little small bit of that great story.

Thanks Glenn.

AlreadyGone95
02-22-2016, 12:25 PM
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, music fans of all ages, I am the ancient one, Glenn Frey, and this is Nepotism Incorporated. Welcome to an evening where Don Was and I make our children play songs that were written and recorded before they were born."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:. On man, Glenn's sense of humor!

shunlvswx
02-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Wayyyyy way way way before they were born. Heck about 2 decades before they were born. Glenn was soo funny.

02-23-2016, 12:54 PM
I'm continuing to go back and make sure all the text of articles are posted in this thread. The link to this article about The One You Love was posted earlier, but here is the text ...

SomethingElse.com
January 21, 2016
By Kit O'Toole

Glenn Frey, “The One You Love” from No Fun Aloud (1982): One Track Mind (http://somethingelsereviews.com/2016/01/21/glenn-frey-the-one-you-love/)

In reaction to the shocking death of Glenn Frey, co-founder of the Eagles, most tributes have focused solely on his band. It is easy to remember Frey for his contributions to one of the 1970s’ biggest groups, writing and singing hits such as “Peaceful Easy Feeling,” “Take It Easy,” and “New Kid in Town.” However, few articles and news reports have mentioned his highly successful ’80s-era solo career, starting with his 1982 debut No Fun Aloud and concluding with 1988’s Soul Searchin’.

He continued releasing solo projects in the 1990s, but none spawned the hits like the previous decade’s efforts. Newly split from the Eagles, Glenn Frey immediately created another persona on No Fun Aloud — a smooth, soul-tinged crooner singing romantic lyrics. The single “The One You Love” announced this new phase of Frey’s career, and the ballad still works courtesy of Frey’s earnest vocals as well as Ernie Watts and Jim Horn’s sensual tenor saxophones.

Cowritten with Jack Tempchin (composer of “Peaceful Easy Feeling”), “The One You Love” contains a classic “torn between two lovers” story, except Frey tells the tale from the perspective of a man competing for the woman’s attention. His gentle voice sounds wounded yet accepting of the situation, but he urges her to resolve the love triangle. “Are you gonna stay with the one who loves you – or are you goin’ back to the one you love?” he asks. The lyrics somewhat sympathize with the woman, with Frey’s voice rising in intensity as he sings “Your heart keeps sayin’ it’s just not fair.” Still, must choose between loyal Frey or “the guy who left you cryin’.” By the end of the track, the issue is not resolved. Who will she choose?

“The One You Love” works on two levels. First, Glenn Frey’s occasionally trembling voice conveys anguish and heartache; when he sings lines like “Someone’s gonna cry when they know they’ve lost you,” one can sense his turmoil. At the same time, he projects an overly romantic image, different from his years with the Eagles. Indeed, these lyrics are quite different from the younger Frey proclaiming “I’m runnin’ down the road, trying to loosen my load; I got seven women on my mind.” “The One You Love” features a more mature Frey and introduces a significant change in his songwriting and singing.

The second reason the single works involves that haunting melody. Watts performs the repeating theme, while Horn plays the sax solo during the fadeout. The instruments add longing and enhance the dread surrounding the woman’s dilemma as well as the narrator’s fear that she will choose the other man over him. When Glenn Frey performed the track in concert, the opening saxophone melody instantly evoked a reaction. The audience immediately recognized “The One You Love” before Frey uttered one word.

After its release, “The One You Love” peaked at No. 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 and rose to No. 2 on the Adult Contemporary charts. The song announced Glenn Frey as a solo artist, effectively distancing himself from his former band. His voice may be easily identified, but his new sound veered away from country rock and more toward R&B and pop.

He would continue this streak on uptempo tracks such as “The Heat Is On” (from the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack), and “Sexy Girl” along with the moodier “You Belong to the City” (from the Miami Vice soundtrack). The lone exception in sound is “Smuggler’s Blues,” a rock-oriented track that now functions as a snapshot of the drug trade in the 1980s. The song’s tale would subsequently inspire a Miami Vice episode starring Frey His run of solo hits concluded with 1988’s Soul Searchin’, an R&B-influenced album that spawned two adult contemporary hits: the title track and “True Love.”

By the mid-1990s, Frey reunited with the Eagles on their hugely successful “Hell Freezes Over” tour. He recorded only a few more solo albums, the last being After Hours in 2012. While his solo career may not equal the Eagles in terms of sales and influence, Glenn Frey’s 1980s work deserves more attention for its catchiness and change in artistic direction.

“The One You Love” exemplifies Frey’s ability to forge his own path after leaving such an iconic band. Instead of repeating their country-rock sound, he reverted to his Detroit roots and created his own blend of rock, pop and soul. His impressive post-Eagles reinvention and creative rejuvenation should not be overlooked.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2016/01/21/glenn-frey-the-one-you-love/

GlennLover
02-23-2016, 12:58 PM
Thanks Dreamer. I missed that one.

UndertheWire
02-23-2016, 01:13 PM
“The One You Love” exemplifies Frey’s ability to forge his own path after leaving such an iconic band. Instead of repeating their country-rock sound, he reverted to his Detroit roots and created his own blend of rock, pop and soul. His impressive post-Eagles reinvention and creative rejuvenation should not be overlooked.
This is such a good point. he could have carried on making Eagles-like music but he chose to try something different. For those of you who followed his solo career at the time, how big a shock was it?

When people talk about his 80s career, they often complain that it sounds so 80s but they're wrong. If anything, it's a throwback to the 60s.

TequilaSunrise82
02-23-2016, 03:33 PM
So this is officially my first post on this site. I admit, I have been coming here for some time but for one reason or another never considered participating. The past month however has been tough for me (as I'm sure it has been for all of Glenn's fans) and I finally decided to "join" the community.

I'll start by saying that I am a relatively new Eagles fan. Being in my mid-30s, I grew up with only a vague idea of who the Eagles even were. Being a child of the 80s however, I was always hearing Don Henley and Glenn's solo work without realizing who they were. It wasn't until a year or so ago that I was reading an article somewhere and saw that Lyin' Eyes (probably my favorite song of all time) was an Eagles song. So over to Youtube I went where I watched Glenn sing it...and that ladies and gentlemen, was it. I was hooked.

I've spent the last year learning as much as I could about the band and my favorite member, Glenn. It's part of my personality I guess, that when I find something I like I really like it and maybe get a tad bit obsessed. Well I was perfectly happy with my new "hobby" and absolutely loved finding new videos, songs, and photos (many on this site!). Then on January 18th I was in Atlanta for work and came back to my hotel room after dinner with colleagues. I felt a strong urge to watch an Eagles video and decided on their Tequila Sunrise performance from Voorburg 1973 because I love how happy Glenn is in that one...when I scrolled down to the comments I saw someone had posted something about Glenn being dead. My first reaction was that it was a cruel joke or someone simply didn't know who they were talking about. Sure enough another comment below said RIP Glenn Frey. With my heart pounding I googled his name and saw it for myself. I don't need to explain how it felt as I am sure all of you felt it too, but I was in tears and complete disbelief. I didn't sleep much that night and in the morning I was hoping it was all some kind of nightmare. :sad:

I don't know many people who are hardcore Eagles fans so I haven't spoken to anyone about how this all feels. I have never felt so heartbroken about the loss of someone whom I didn't even know. Sometimes I question if this is normal. Which leads me back to why I decided to join in these discussions. Reading all your posts here makes me feel like I am not alone. This is an amazing community and I am so grateful to have found you all.

UndertheWire
02-23-2016, 03:57 PM
Welcom TS82. I think you sound perfectly normal, but I would, wouldn't I?

MaryCalifornia
02-23-2016, 04:02 PM
Hi TS82. This is the only fan board I participate in, I had to learn how to use it and everything. These are my only "internet friends" and I can certify that it is a very supportive, kind, fun place to be. MC

AlreadyGone95
02-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Welcome, TS82. I would say that what you're experiencing is normal because it's happening to all of us. You're among friends here.

Freypower
02-23-2016, 04:16 PM
This is such a good point. he could have carried on making Eagles-like music but he chose to try something different. For those of you who followed his solo career at the time, how big a shock was it?

When people talk about his 80s career, they often complain that it sounds so 80s but they're wrong. If anything, it's a throwback to the 60s.

It was a huge shock for me to suddenly hear brass & R&B, although the way he introduced The Long Run on Eagles Live should have given me a clue.

He never got the recognition he deserved for his solo work & now, to paraphrase Don McLean, perhaps he never will.

UndertheWire
02-23-2016, 04:37 PM
Over the last few weeks, his solo career has been shown more respect than it has for a long time but still not the recognition it deserves. At this point, all that really matters is that we enjoy it.

I was listening to an 80s live show and was imagining being in the audience and hearing all this R&B instead of Eagles. Would I have liked it? My tastes were more towards "blue-eyed soul" at that time, so maybe.

buffyfan145
02-23-2016, 05:23 PM
Welcome TS82!!! :) Like everyone else has said it's totally normal and for me it's nice seeing other younger fans like myself born in the 80s & 90s. My parents luckily were Eagles fans so I've known their music and solo music my entire life.

I also agree about Glenn's solo songs, which I've always liked too. I do think the r&b influences kind of made my Dad not care for some of them but he did like "Smuggler's Blues" and "You Belong to the City", but my Mom on the other hand loved all of it. LOL :mrgreen: I also remember my Mom singing and playing her keyboard along with "The One You Love" as she had that album on cassette. My Mom can play by ear and harmonize by ear, traits I sadly didn't inherit but it's amazing to watch her do that.

Prettymaid
02-23-2016, 07:52 PM
So this is officially my first post on this site. I admit, I have been coming here for some time but for one reason or another never considered participating. The past month however has been tough for me (as I'm sure it has been for all of Glenn's fans) and I finally decided to "join" the community.

I'll start by saying that I am a relatively new Eagles fan. Being in my mid-30s, I grew up with only a vague idea of who the Eagles even were. Being a child of the 80s however, I was always hearing Don Henley and Glenn's solo work without realizing who they were. It wasn't until a year or so ago that I was reading an article somewhere and saw that Lyin' Eyes (probably my favorite song of all time) was an Eagles song. So over to Youtube I went where I watched Glenn sing it...and that ladies and gentlemen, was it. I was hooked.

I've spent the last year learning as much as I could about the band and my favorite member, Glenn. It's part of my personality I guess, that when I find something I like I really like it and maybe get a tad bit obsessed. Well I was perfectly happy with my new "hobby" and absolutely loved finding new videos, songs, and photos (many on this site!). Then on January 18th I was in Atlanta for work and came back to my hotel room after dinner with colleagues. I felt a strong urge to watch an Eagles video and decided on their Tequila Sunrise performance from Voorburg 1973 because I love how happy Glenn is in that one...when I scrolled down to the comments I saw someone had posted something about Glenn being dead. My first reaction was that it was a cruel joke or someone simply didn't know who they were talking about. Sure enough another comment below said RIP Glenn Frey. With my heart pounding I googled his name and saw it for myself. I don't need to explain how it felt as I am sure all of you felt it too, but I was in tears and complete disbelief. I didn't sleep much that night and in the morning I was hoping it was all some kind of nightmare. :sad:

I don't know many people who are hardcore Eagles fans so I haven't spoken to anyone about how this all feels. I have never felt so heartbroken about the loss of someone whom I didn't even know. Sometimes I question if this is normal. Which leads me back to why I decided to join in these discussions. Reading all your posts here makes me feel like I am not alone. This is an amazing community and I am so grateful to have found you all.

Welcome, TS82. We're here for you. What a shame that you had just begun to delve into Glenn the past year, only to lose him in January. That's so sad.

TequilaSunrise82
02-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Welcome, TS82. We're here for you. What a shame that you had just begun to delve into Glenn the past year, only to lose him in January. That's so sad.

Thank you Prettymaid, I think that's what makes it such a shock.

UndertheWire
02-24-2016, 08:45 AM
Has this podcast been posted? I'm only 30 minutes into a 2 hour show and there's already plenty of good stuff.
http://thesoundla.com/tag/glenn-frey/

02-24-2016, 02:28 PM
Has this podcast been posted? I'm only 30 minutes into a 2 hour show and there's already plenty of good stuff.

No it hadn't been posted yet, UTW. I can't wait to listen to it. And if you follow the same link and scroll down a little, there is also an interview with Rusty Young from Poco where he talks about Glenn. I had that one on my list of things to post, so there you go. :thumbsup:

scottside
02-24-2016, 02:30 PM

Thanks so much for this link UTW. I was at a similar show in 1982 and the set list was almost exactly like this one although I don't recall him playing "Peaceful Easy Feeling." Overall, this is a spectacular performance and I love his version of "What's Going On." What a great trip down memory lane!

UndertheWire
02-24-2016, 03:47 PM
Thanks so much for this link UTW. I was at a similar show in 1982 and the set list was almost exactly like this one although I don't recall him playing "Peaceful Easy Feeling." Overall, this is a spectacular performance and I love his version of "What's Going On." What a great trip down memory lane!
I think you meant to quote a different link (this one (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=324079&postcount=44)). I agree with you about "What's Going On" but I also love the song that comes immediately before it, "Cool Jerk".

tequila mockingbird
02-24-2016, 04:47 PM
Song that Jack Tempchin wrote for Glenn...

https://www.reverbnation.com/jacktempchin/song/20251872-theres-no-goodbye

deb828
02-24-2016, 05:14 PM
That is very nice

sodascouts
02-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the link. Lovely song.

timfan
02-24-2016, 06:05 PM
I'm in tears once more

GlennLover
02-24-2016, 08:28 PM

Glenn's says in one of the clips that his favourite Eagles' song that he sings is NKIT. DId you know that, FP? I didn't!

Freypower
02-24-2016, 08:36 PM
Glenn's says in one of the clips that his favourite Eagles' song that he sings is NKIT. DId you know that, FP? I didn't!

No I didn't and all I can say is I am grateful to hear it. What a shame the song wasn't played on the LROOE tour; but at least I got to hear him sing it last year, for the last time.

buffyfan145
02-24-2016, 10:04 PM
Jack's song is lovely. Wow.

Elizasong
02-24-2016, 10:56 PM

Beautiful!

Elizasong
02-24-2016, 11:12 PM
I'm sure this has been posted on this site through the years but I was just watching this. What a great memory. What a great experience that this son had to play with this Dad. You can see how meticulous Glenn is in orchestrating as he's playing. Love this!! What a great memory!!

https://youtu.be/ZB2_71tIOMw

shunlvswx
02-25-2016, 12:43 AM
I saw this on facebook. I didn't know he had a facebook page. He's a post from a former co star.

Rest In Peace, Glenn Frey (https://www.facebook.com/GlennFreyOfficial/) .....A Very Sweet, Decent Person, who I was So Very Lucky Enough to have Worked with.... Now Appearing in Heaven......

This is from Ken Wahl's facebook page. He posted a few videos from when Glenn was on Wiseguy on page around the time Glenn died.

https://www.facebook.com/thekenwahl/?fref=nf

JennyCH
02-25-2016, 03:23 PM

So well done. I didn't expect Jack Tempchin to sound a little like Gordon Lightfoot. (I like Gordon's stuff so this is a high compliment). The lyrics are superb too. :sad:

Brooke
02-25-2016, 03:41 PM
Beautiful song! :cry:

I agree Jenny, he reminds me of Gordon too.

Freypower
02-25-2016, 04:31 PM
Well now that you mention it...

Jack thanked everyone who complimented him on the song on FB. He said he wrote it with Alex Woodard.

http://www.alexwoodard.com/

02-25-2016, 07:50 PM
That song that Jack wrote for Glenn is very touching.

Jack's tribute that he wrote for Glenn was posted in another thread, but has not been posted here yet. This feels like a good time to bring it over ...

From Jack Tempchin (https://www.facebook.com/JackTempchin/?fref=ts):

"Glenn Frey and I were friends for years before the Eagles. His music plan was simple: He was going to have a band with the best players in the world. And the best singers in the world. And the best songwriters and the best songs in the world. It would be the best in every way and soar high above all others.

Others wish and dream... But Glenn was always willing to do the work that makes dreams come true.

Glenn and I wrote songs together for fourteen years while the Eagles were apart. I will be singing those songs for the rest of my life and always be thinking of all the fun times we had writing them and living our dreams. And I will think of my great friend, a truly "stand up guy" who kept his promises to others and to himself, the strongest minded and the funniest person I ever knew. I will miss him everyday. Love you Glenn, Jack Tempchin "

Mrs Frey
02-26-2016, 07:52 AM
Wow, Jack Tempchin. Those are indeed heartfelt and touching words.

Mrs Frey
02-26-2016, 08:00 AM

Beautiful. I have no other words. :cry:

Brooke
02-26-2016, 10:51 AM
What beautiful words from Jack. :heart:

Glenn truly was loved by so many.

AlreadyGone95
02-26-2016, 03:42 PM
What a beautiful and heartfelt song that Jack wrote!

JennyCH
02-26-2016, 03:55 PM
That song that Jack wrote for Glenn is very touching.

Jack's tribute that he wrote for Glenn was posted in another thread, but has not been posted here yet. This feels like a good time to bring it over ...

From Jack Tempchin (https://www.facebook.com/JackTempchin/?fref=ts):

"would be the best in every way and soar high above all others.
"

Oh dear. And the eagle (the bird) is the one that flies the highest. :-(
I bet they had some good times. Bless Jack Tempchin.

02-27-2016, 02:09 PM
Going back through Google Alerts and news feeds and saw this article. I thought for sure it had been posted already, but I couldn't find it when I did a search. It was written by Marc Eliot for CNN ...

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/19/opinions/eliot-glenn-frey/

Why Glenn Frey's Death Shakes Us

By Marc Eliot
January 20, 2016

Editor's Note: Marc Eliot is the author of "To the Limit: The Untold Story of the Eagles." He is also the author of the books "I Feel Good: A Memoir of a Life of Soul," about James Brown, and "Reagan: The Hollywood Years," among many others. The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author.

(CNN)The passing of Glenn Frey both recalls and closes the book on one of rock's most celebrated rock 'n' roll songwriting teams, but for many of us it also signals something more personal: the passing of a time when the Eagles' "Hotel California" was the anthem for the youth of America in the '70s -- the way Beatles music was for the children of the '60s.

For people who came up in that time, the death of Frey -- and earlier this month the death of David Bowie -- comes as a reality check, a resounding reminder that the days of "Take it Easy" and the promise of "One of these Nights" are long behind us.

Instead, music, the blood of our youth, has somehow been replaced by mortgages, credit cards, spouses, children, divorces, alimony, expanding waistlines and diminished dreams. Some of us may feel like an oldies act, but Glenn Frey never became one.

Formed in 1970 at the front bar of L.A.'s legendary Troubadour nightspot, the duo of Frey and Don Henley united to be part of the backup band for Linda Ronstadt at a Disneyland engagement. It was the nucleus of what would become the Eagles, the hugely influential band that introduced the "L.A. sound" to the world—and whose album "Eagles: Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975" still holds the record as bestselling album of the 20th century by a group.

Henley brought a Texas-style country sound to the band, but it was tempered and made more sophisticated by Frey, who gave it its essential urban rhythms. Frey was born in Detroit and raised in the nearby suburb of Royal Oak, Michigan. (None of the Eagles were, in fact, from Los Angeles.)

An Eagle gets started

While still a teenager, Frey became a local sought-after studio musician, and in 1966 had his first exposure to greatness, playing for one of Detroit's own, Bob Seger, who was becoming a hot touring act, and one of the first to spot young Frey's abilities as a rhythm guitarist and lead singer.

A few years later in Los Angeles, where the Eagles first played together, they were mostly a derivative band, using material from Jackson Browne, J.D. Souther, Jack Tempchin and Tom Waits to help them find their way. (Like the Beatles, Henley and Frey relied on the music of others to learn how to make their own.)

It took Elliot Roberts and David Geffen, a couple of young and ambitious former William Morris agents, who formed the record label Asylum, to push the Eagles into the mainstream with their debut album. Their mellow, West Coast, "country rock" cool defined mainstream American popular music in the '70s and has been lodged in car radios across America ever since.

The album had three top 10 singles. One of them, "Take it Easy," co-authored by Frey and Browne, pretty much said everything you need to know about the vibe. It was followed up a year later with the less successful "Desperado" before the Eagles took a more rocking direction.

'Hotel California' speaks to generation

But it was "Hotel California," released in 1976, that made them a worldwide sensation. The album's opening track of the same name, co-written by Frey, was the clarion call for the Eagles the way "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" had been for the Beatles: It described both the band's self-destruction by excess, its awareness of that self-destruction and its inability to stop it. ("You can check out any time, but you can never leave. ...")

It was "Hotel California" that internalized all the angst of the times, trading in the '60s -- Vietnam, student unrest, turning on and dropping out -- for a weary age of tuning in and getting laid, its lead character moaning about not having the spirit of 1969 in the air anymore.

This introspection was what separated and elevated the Eagles from all the other American bands, and it was Frey who was key to it. The only thing he cared about was the hot-rush politics of romance, while Henley wanted the band to be more relevant, to put a cool contemporary voice to the romance of politics.

One of the best songs on "Hotel California" is the Frey/Henley/Souther "New Kid in Town," a song they came up with while having dinner at Dan Tana's, a legendary L.A. restaurant adjacent to the Troubadour late one night after they saw Bruce Springsteen drop an atomic bomb at the Roxy. It was a song, as I wrote in my book, about the beginning of the end for the band, a precise and spectacular moment immediately familiar to any guy who's ever felt the pain, jealousy, insecurity, rage and heartbreak of the moment he discovers his girlfriend has moved on.

Returning to his groove

When the band broke up in 1980, not surprisingly Henley found his solo voice in songs that were overtly political ("The End of the Innocence"), while Frey stayed true to his rock groove, with hit songs like "You Belong to the City," which reached No. 2. Frey also took up acting as yet another successful outlet for his proud narcissism. He appeared in several episodes of "Miami Vice" and was featured in Cameron Crowe's "Jerry Maguire" and several other films.

It would take the two 14 years, from 1980 to 1994, to find their way back to being "the Eagles," and it was Henley who had to bring Frey back, who wanted to return to the past, not the other way around. They went back on the road with their Hell Freezes Over tour ("We'll get together when hell freezes over," Frey had told Henley when the band broke up) and released a live album that immediately went to No. 1 on Billboard.

I remember one night in the summer of 1997 talking with Henley over drinks at the Formosa in West Hollywood. I was writing my biography of the Eagles, and I asked Henley what he thought the essential difference was between him and Frey.

"If I had my way, we'd be out every night of the week playing somewhere," Henley said. "Glenn just wants to ride around the Mediterranean all day on his boat." Yeah, I thought to myself, maybe Frey was on to something. Maybe he knew when to walk away. Maybe he understood that adolescence can only take you so far, and it was time to check out of the Hotel California. And maybe he understood it was that sense of "now" that pushed him to create the great Eagles music he did with Henley, and singing about living it up at the Hotel California, had become "then."

Forever young?

Because despite the belief that rock 'n' roll will keep us forever young, the truth is it doesn't age well on us. That's the beauty and power of rock 'n' roll: It celebrates transient youth in the present tense. It's what makes it both shimmery and precious. And it's what makes the death of Glenn Frey so mournful.

What happened to him? That's our first instinct, that's what we want, we need to know. And the band's word on that is "complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia." But maybe what we really want to know is: What happened to us?

The passing of Glenn Frey reminds us all too well of the kids we were in the '70s -- our blue jeans and black boots, our long hair and 'stashes and crushes on impossibly beautiful, unattainable girls, our nights spent cross-legged in front of turntables listening with great intent to the latest album of one of our heroes. We believed that somehow we could change the world by the force of our belief in the power of rock 'n' roll, but instead the world changed us.

When we mourn for Frey, are we mourning our lost selves and a time when we all thought we could live hard and stay free and surf and bike and run and jump and love and never lose because we were forever young?

God bless, Glenn Frey. You were part of our dreams. Now, truly, you belong to the night.

chaim
02-27-2016, 05:41 PM
I don't have a clue where to post this, but lets put it here....

I went to Estonia and back today with my wife. When we were going from Finland to Estonia we heard the ship musician play Lyin' Eyes. When we came back we heard him play Peaceful, Easy Feeling. At least Lyin' Eyes may have been a tribute to Glenn since he played Space Oddity after that (probably a tribute as well). Tributes or not, as a Glenn fan it was nice to hear him play songs that were sung by Glenn. Don is probably more recognizable among the "masses", but when I heard those two songs today, played by a ship musician, it was once again so obvious to me how much Glenn's voice (and songwriting, like on Lyin' Eyes) touched people. I guess what I am trying to say is that although people always rave about Don's voice and more people know him, the songs Glenn sang resonate just as much (and probably more for some), although people may not always know who's singing.

Prettymaid
02-28-2016, 12:55 AM
I guess what I am trying to say is that although people always rave about Don's voice an more people know him, the songs Glenn sang resonate just as much (and probably more for some), although people may not always know who's singing.

That's why I don't like the part of the HOTE doc when Glenn says something like, I sang less. It was intentional. We had Don Henley.

You put it very well, Chaim. Glenn didn't realize how much his voice resonated with people.

buffyfan145
02-28-2016, 05:24 PM
Saw from checking Google both The Who and Dwight Yokum did tributes to Glenn last night. Dwight played "Peaceful Easy Feeling", while The Who were performing in Detroit apparently dedicated (http://www.theoaklandpress.com/arts-and-entertainment/20160228/review-the-who-shows-much-love-for-detroit-at-joe-louis-tour-opener) their show to him and one of the former owners of the arena that just got remodeled. It was part of a video shown before they started recapping the arena's history and The Who performing there before.

Freypower
02-28-2016, 05:46 PM
That's why I don't like the part of the HOTE doc when Glenn says something like, I sang less. It was intentional. We had Don Henley.

You put it very well, Chaim. Glenn didn't realize how much his voice resonated with people.

I've made my feelings very clear on that HOTE comment, so all I will say is yes, his voice resonated with me like no other.

The sad, simple fact is that my favourite singer is now Mark Knopfler, I guess. I know most people think of him primarily as a guitarist but his voice is just as important to me & I will have to rediscover it to get through this. I was listening to a song called In The Sky yesterday which helped.

UndertheWire
02-28-2016, 06:58 PM
Saw from checking Google both The Who and Dwight Yokum did tributes to Glenn last night. Dwight played "Peaceful Easy Feeling", while The Who were performing in Detroit apparently dedicated (http://www.theoaklandpress.com/arts-and-entertainment/20160228/review-the-who-shows-much-love-for-detroit-at-joe-louis-tour-opener) their show to him and one of the former owners of the arena that just got remodeled. It was part of a video shown before they started recapping the arena's history and The Who performing there before.
I see that a keyboard player called John Corey is playing with The Who - presumably the same jOhn Corey who was on HFO. Pete Townsend also mentioned friend Tom Wright who wrote an excellent book which has a few Egles and Joe Walsh anecdotes.

shunlvswx
02-28-2016, 07:01 PM
I see that a keyboard player called John Corey is playing with The Who - presumably the same jOhn Corey who was on HFO. Pete Townsend also mentioned friend Tom Wright who wrote an excellent book which has a few Egles and Joe Walsh anecdotes.

Yes. That's the same John Corey. Don's old guitar player, Frank Simes is also in the Who band.

GlennLover
02-28-2016, 10:13 PM
This is an article about the Austin Hall of Fame induction. JD Souther is one of the inductees. http://www.kilgorenewsherald.com/news/2016-02-27/Lifestyles/Austin_Hall_of_Fame_honors_local_lyricist_of_Titan .html

The relevant quote from the article:

Fellow TxHSA Hall of Fame member Gary Nicholson read a speech JD Souther wrote for the ceremony, stating circumstances did not allow Souther to attend as he mourned the loss of close friend Glenn Frey.

SilverAcidRayne
02-29-2016, 09:37 AM
So the band came back sat night after Daltrey was sick. And they did a quick mention of Glenn. I'm in tears.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6890512/the-who-hits-50-tour-detroit-roger-daltrey-pete-townshend-meningitis

buffyfan145
02-29-2016, 11:21 AM
So I was sad to see the Oscars didn't include Glenn in their in memoriam segment last night but surprisingly to me so many others tweeted and commented about his omission. They also didn't include many other actors like Abe Vigoda, Anne Mera, Tony Burton, and many more. A lot too like myself were wondering why they included David Bowie but not Glenn. One even tweeted how they could've easily used a clip from "Jerry Maguire", and the fact that he wrote a song for "Beverly Hills Cop". It would've been so nice too as Dave Grohl performed a wonderful cover of one of my fav Beatles songs "Blackbird". I'm glad others felt the same as I did, but he should for sure be included at the Emmys this fall since he had more TV roles.

Glennsallnighter
02-29-2016, 11:23 AM
He also wrote POMPOY which was used as the theme for Thelma and Louise.

Glennhoney
02-29-2016, 12:15 PM
..very classy!

GlennLover
02-29-2016, 12:25 PM
He didn't write The Heat Is On.

Jerseyboy
02-29-2016, 01:55 PM
Find a Grave website has Glenn being buried in Portland Oregon at Wilhelm's Portland Memorial.

NightMistBlue
02-29-2016, 02:47 PM
That's bizarre. I hope it's not a sick joke.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=157216286

The listing says "Record added: Jan 18, 2016" which would be the same day he died. Seems bogus.

Jerseyboy
02-29-2016, 03:23 PM
No, they did have him listed on January 18th, right after he died, they just didn't have the burial information, all that website would say for the last few weeks was that they were seeking burial information on him. Now it seems like they got that information somehow. If true, I wonder why he was buried up in Oregon and not California or Colorado, did Glenn have any ties to that area.

GlennLover
02-29-2016, 03:35 PM
If true, I wonder why he was buried up in Oregon and not California or Colorado, did Glenn have any ties to that area.

Not that I'm aware of.

Freypower
02-29-2016, 04:52 PM
So I was sad to see the Oscars didn't include Glenn in their in memoriam segment last night but surprisingly to me so many others tweeted and commented about his omission. They also didn't include many other actors like Abe Vigoda, Anne Mera, Tony Burton, and many more. A lot too like myself were wondering why they included David Bowie but not Glenn. One even tweeted how they could've easily used a clip from "Jerry Maguire", and the fact that he wrote a song for "Beverly Hills Cop". It would've been so nice too as Dave Grohl performed a wonderful cover of one of my fav Beatles songs "Blackbird". I'm glad others felt the same as I did, but he should for sure be included at the Emmys this fall since he had more TV roles.

David Bowie starred in a couple of films. Glenn did not. He was a supporting actor in one film which has been forgotten & had a small part in Jerry Maguire. I'm afraid I think it's a very large stretch to call him a film actor. I also doubt he will be mentioned at the Emmys. Again his TV roles were supporting roles, even in Wiseguy. We know what happened to his one starring role.

As for him being buried in Portland I highly doubt it.

buffyfan145
02-29-2016, 05:17 PM
He should still be included in the segment imo and I'm happy to see so many others think the same. Watching award shows over the years they do tend to include musicians that acted or contributed to films and TV shows. I thought he wrote the song so that's my fault there. Glenn was an actor and his omission just doesn't sit right with me, same as with the others they didn't add either which seems to be more than usual.

Freypower
02-29-2016, 05:45 PM
I saw the comments on the Rolling Stone website & I'm afraid I still disagree that Glenn had a big enough movie career to be remembered in this way. If you look the people who commented don't even know about Let's Get Harry. So they are talking about one small role in one film. That, with respect, isn't a movie career.

buffyfan145
02-29-2016, 08:54 PM
I know a lot of it too was because "Jerry Maguire" was nominated for Best Picture and Glenn's role was a big part of the story. Then his songs being in movies too. I know they included Michael Jackson the year after he passed and I don't think he was in that many films. Plus, the Abe Vigoda one is just wrong especially since his "Godfather" co-star that passed away too Alex Rocco was in it.

SilverAcidRayne
02-29-2016, 09:09 PM
yeah why would they bury him in Oregon? I'm not even sure he had any history there. California I would believe before Oregon. it smells like "manure" to me.

GlennLover
03-01-2016, 01:35 AM
I saw a post on Facebook several days after Glenn's death. The person that posted said that someone who claimed to have a very distant connection to the band stated that Glenn was buried in a cemetery in the Los Angeles area. He did name the cemetery. I have checked their website & it looks as if it would be a likely place for Glenn to be interred. I don't see any info about Glenn, but I would think that the family might not want the info released to the general public, at least for a while.

Glennsallnighter
03-01-2016, 07:43 AM
I would like to know if he is buried in the cemetery in LA that was mentioned previously before we go on our roadtrip in August. If I could fit in a visit even to the cemetery it would be great

Jerseyboy
03-01-2016, 11:22 AM
I wonder if you call Wilhelm Portland Memorial Funeral Home in Portland would they confirm that Glenn is there. I think that would be public record.

Freypower
03-01-2016, 04:58 PM
I wonder if you call Wilhelm Portland Memorial Funeral Home in Portland would they confirm that Glenn is there. I think that would be public record.

As has been stated we think it is far more likely that the cemetery in LA, which as I recall was the Queen of Heaven Cemetery in Rowland Heights, is far more likely to be the burial place than somewhere in a city Glenn had absolutely no connection with.

http://catholiccemeteriesla.org/location/queen-of-heaven-cemetery/

This is the information about the person who allegedly found the information about Portland. I find it extremely dubious that if it is true the date of death was used instead of the date of burial.

I was dogged in my search for your final resting place and finally found it yesterday. I sent it on to Findagrave and they added it to your page. You will be missed so much, Glenn. But we all will always have your special music. Please do Rest in peace.
- Ragtime Joe (http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=mr&GRid=157216286&MRid=47074515&)
Added: Feb. 24, 2016

Jerseyboy
03-01-2016, 05:37 PM
I sent Ragtime Joe an email asking how he found the info on Glenn. I will let you know what he says once he gets back to me.

Jerseyboy
03-01-2016, 06:02 PM
And here is his reply:

"Steve.Thank you for the email. For the life of me, I cannot recall how I found the info on Glenn--just going around the net grabbing information, I guess and putting 2 plus 2 together.

And I also cannot understand why he is buried in Portland. I had to guess that it was a family decision.

I'd have guessed LA, too, possibly Forest Lawn. Or maybe back home to Detroit to a family plot.

I'm now hoping some one goes to that cemetery and snaps a picture of his headstone for Find A Grave.

Thanks again for your note. BTW, where do you live? Just wondering.

I am in Fremont, CA. in Silicon Valley."

Ok, not sure what to make of it, now it does sound bogus. I think he would have remembered how he found out that info since it seems nobody else knows where Glenn is buried.

Freypower
03-01-2016, 06:40 PM
No, sorry, just no. If he found it he would remember how he found it, as you said.

Elizasong
03-01-2016, 10:08 PM
I don't know why but this whole cemetery subject I feel creepy. I don't know why. I know people want to know where he's buried so they can pay their respects but I feel like it's really stepping above and beyond the privacy. I know a lot of famous people we can find out where they are buried and go pay respects at their gravesite. I think because this is so soon I feel like it's too new. Sorry I'm just wanted to put that out there.

GlennLover
03-01-2016, 10:15 PM
I don't know why but this whole cemetery subject I feel creepy. I don't know why. I know people want to know where he's buried so they can pay their respects but I feel like it's really stepping above and beyond the privacy. I know a lot of famous people we can find out where they are buried and go pay respects at their gravesite. I think because this is so soon I feel like it's too new. Sorry I'm just wanted to put that out there.

I agree. It's too soon. That's probably why the site of his burial has not been made public. His family need some privacy. That's why I didn't post the name of the cemetery in California.

JanetteG
03-02-2016, 09:29 PM
Here in the UK, BBC radio recently ran an interview with Glenn from one of his many visits to England. He seemed to know our country well - he compared it and his life here in 1973 to "the first girlfriend that you never forget." He said that the Eagles lived at 333 Kings Road in Chelsea and mentioned the name of a cafe or restaurant that was just below their apt -can't recall the name but it sounded French. I was shopping there recently and wandered along to 333 Kings Road. I was tickled to see that there is now a tequila bar below the apts. I took a photo but don't think there is a way to post it here.

For me, a Brit who loved the sheer "American-ness" of the Eagles, I was shocked to know that some of their early songs were recorded in Barnes - a pretty and rather sedate London "village".

During the recent sad January when there was so much sorrow and loss around, a Canadian friend called to say that she was making "shepherd's pie" in honour of David Bowie because it was his favourite dish. A week later in that same radio interview, Glenn described discovering Guinness, darts and shepherd's pie. I guess it's time to make one in honour of him.

UndertheWire
03-03-2016, 10:23 AM
I can't see this tribute on this thread - I'm not even sure I've read it before. Anyway, I like it - it's one of the few that gives Glenn his due credit without overdoing it.

Glenn Frey, the Lone Arranger, Spark Plug, Man with the Plan: An Appreciation of the Eagles Leader
Billboard (http://www.billboard.com/)

January 19, 2016

During the release of his last solo album, 2012's standards collection After Hours, and the debut of the History of the Eagles film, Glenn Frey ruminated on his life's pursuit.

"The radio was on all the time at my house," recalled Frey, who grew up in the Detroit suburb of Royal Oak. "We heard all of the songs. One of my earliest memories was sitting in my grandmother's kitchen and my mother was doing the ironing with the radio on, singing with the Andrews Sisters. So obviously music is special to me."

Frey -- who died on Monday at the age of 67 -- was special to music, too. Yes, there were times he could be brusque, hard-nosed, cantankerous, perhaps arrogant, even. It's hard to forget the famous Eagles story about Frey being ready to rumble with guitarist Don Felder at the end of a benefit for California Senator Alan Cranston in July of 1980. But Eagles co-founder Don Henley aptly caught the many sides of Frey's personality in his statement following Songwriters Hall of Fame partner's death; "He was funny, bullheaded, mercurial, generous, deeply talented and driven."

That drive began back in the Detroit area, where Frey was bitten by the rock 'n roll bug early. "I heard that stuff and forgot about everything else," he once recalled. "I knew what I wanted to do. He learned to play piano -- classically trained and with taste you can hear in chords for songs such as "Desperado" and "The Last Resort" -- and then guitar. Absorbing Detroit's potent R&B along with rock, Frey became a fixture in the local music scene as a teenager, playing in bands such as the Subterraneans, the Four of Us, the Mushrooms and the Heavy Metal Kids. He sang backup on Bob Seger's "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" in 1968 and by then was known as one of the most ambitious kids on the block. "Glenn was driven," Seger once recalled. "He wanted bigger things. He wanted out of here."

Frey rambled shortly after "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man," heading to Los Angeles where he'd find a unique niche. Meeting and subsequently living in the same apartment building with Jackson Browne and JD Souther -- with whom Frey performed as Longbranch Pennywhistle -- the fledgling artists blended rock, folk and even country into a unique and decidedly Californian sound, something Frey would further hone after meeting Henley and after the two joined Linda Ronstadt's band.

"We were putting together the band, and I was living with JD Souther back then and Longbranch Pennywhistle was kind of breaking up, and I thought, 'Alright, I'll get Glenn. He can play really good guitar," Ronstadt remembered. Frey and Henley wound up rooming together, and before long, Ronstadt recalled, "Glenn was saying, 'I'm gonna do a band with Don. We're gonna do a band together.' I said, 'That's great,' she added, laughing at the understatement.

There's no question Frey brought a lot to the party. He had sharp songwriting chops, a broad sonic sensibility, a voice that could be pure but also incorporate some grit and twang that -- when turned loose on leads for "Take It Easy," "Peaceful Easy Feeling," "Tequila Sunrise," "Already Gone" or "New Kid in Town" -- possessed an earthiness that complemented Henley's more pristine tones. Frey also had a harmonic intuitiveness that made him an ace ensemble singer, and Seger recalled that the other Eagles also nicknamed Frey "the lone arranger; people would bring in a song and Glenn would arrange it."

And then there was that force of personality, a Detroit kid's confidence and swagger that put the wind beneath the Eagles' wings. "Glenn was the one who started it all," Henley noted in his statement. "He was the spark plug, the man with the plan. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of popular music and a work ethic that just wouldn't quit." And Seger added, "Make no mistake about it; (Frey) was the leader of the Eagles....and they'll all tell you that."

When the Eagles' split between 1980-94, Henley may have been the solo star but Frey's own work showed a defining range both in and outside of music. His five solo albums ran a gamut from the ebullient No Fun Aloud to the more subdued The Allnighter, the R&B-laced Soul Searchin' and the Great American Songbook of After Hours. Soundtrack hits such as "You Belong to the City" and "Smuggler's Blues" from "Miami Vice" and "The Heat is On" from Beverly Hills Cop displayed Frey's ability to frame a cinematic moment, and on screens both big (Jerry Maguire, Let's Get Harry) and small (Wiseguy, Nash Bridges, Arli$$) -- or in fitness center ads, for that matter -- Frey demonstrated the authoritative presence a seasoned frontman.

Bob Seger on Glenn Frey: 'He Had a Drive, An Imagination & A Talent That Was Titanic'

As the History of the Eagles Tour wound down last year, Frey certainly had his eye on the future. Despite his medical issues, he spoke of being "three-quarters finished" with some songs for a solo album of original material. And, according to Henley, Frey was taking the lead role in development an Eagles musical for Broadway. "We're very fortunate," Frey said at the time. "We use the Eagles as the mothership and then we go out and do individual stuff, whether it's acting or environmental work or solo shows, then we come back to the Eagles and it's fresh again, so we've been able to strike a good balance between personal life, personal career and Eagles business.

"It took a long time to get that balance right, but I'm happy we did" -- and fortunately in time for him to enjoy it a bit.
https://www.yahoo.com/music/glenn-frey-lone-arranger-spark-plug-man-plan-035831073.html

AlreadyGone95
03-03-2016, 10:28 AM
I don't think that I've read that tribute either. It's great. My only problem with it is that Strange Weather is not mentioned when naming his solo albums. That album is neyong long overdue for some recognition.