PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Glenn Frey

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

buffyfan145
03-03-2016, 11:22 AM
That's a great article!!! I hadn't read it till now either. And thanks Janette for posting that about him talking about their time in England. That fascinated me while I watched the "HOTE" doc as that was new to me and I've always been one of those Americans fascinated with the UK (and Ireland).

Ive always been a dreamer
03-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Thanks UTW. That was a really nice tribute. BUT ... I do have to agree with AG about Strange Weather being snubbed. That is such a great album and it's a shame more folks don't know about it and give it the credit it deserves.

MaryCalifornia
03-04-2016, 02:18 AM
Regarding Glenn's final resting place, I was surprised to read the information about him being buried in a cemetery - I don't know why. I think it's because of the environment I've been raised in, I don't know anyone who is buried in a cemetery. It seems like everyone I know is cremated and the family chooses what to do with the ashes. I know this is not the norm. We buried my dad's ashes at sea, and the rest of my family, including myself, are donating our bodies to the local medical school. I enjoy the fact that we are such a diverse group on this board. I would be very interested to hear everyone's burial traditions (not in this thread obviously.) I wonder where Glenn's mom rests in peace.

Freypower
03-04-2016, 07:12 PM
Regarding Glenn's final resting place, I was surprised to read the information about him being buried in a cemetery - I don't know why. I think it's because of the environment I've been raised in, I don't know anyone who is buried in a cemetery. It seems like everyone I know is cremated and the family chooses what to do with the ashes. I know this is not the norm. We buried my dad's ashes at sea, and the rest of my family, including myself, are donating our bodies to the local medical school. I enjoy the fact that we are such a diverse group on this board. I would be very interested to hear everyone's burial traditions (not in this thread obviously.) I wonder where Glenn's mom rests in peace.

We have no concrete evidence that he was buried, just one comment on FB about a cemetery in LA & a very dubious post in FindAGrave which when contacted, the person who supplied the information could not give details on how he discovered it.

sodascouts
03-05-2016, 02:32 AM
FP is right. I have learned that even when someone claims they have an "insider source" or "know someone", that half the time the information they give is still incorrect. I'll need some provable confirmation before I draw conclusions. If I never get that confirmation, so be it.

That said, in my experience, cemetery burial is the norm in the USA.

GlennLover
03-05-2016, 08:34 AM
That said, in my experience, cemetery burial is the norm in the USA.

In Canada too

03-05-2016, 12:03 PM
During the recent sad January when there was so much sorrow and loss around, a Canadian friend called to say that she was making "shepherd's pie" in honour of David Bowie because it was his favourite dish. A week later in that same radio interview, Glenn described discovering Guinness, darts and shepherd's pie. I guess it's time to make one in honour of him.

Janette - IIRC, I once read where Glenn also discovered and developed a taste for lamb with mint sauce during his early days in London. Not sure how well that goes with Guinness though. :wink:

UndertheWire
03-06-2016, 07:51 AM
I liked this Letter to the Editor:

Feb. 20 — To the Editor:
It was his voice. That soft, smooth, reassuring, Midwestern-Californian thing he had going on. Some called it his drawl. It was the sound of ice cream. He could pour and stir emotion simultaneously. His was a sound homemade. The vanilla sandy coast meets the soft rocky chips was his recipe for success.
He could scoop, cut, and arrange harmonies so tight, they swirled seamlessly from low to high, floating flawlessly like soft serve upon a dish. He had a kind of friendly, sentimental, sometimes sad, and sometimes cheery flavor to his music. Whatever the mood of his songs, or the subject matter he sang about, he came across as believable. No artificial ingredients.
He was one of the founding members of the Eagles brand, which has been churning out hits longer than Ben has known Jerry. I have been listening to those hits for longer than Ben has known Jerry, and I am sad. I’m sad that the sound of ice cream cannot keep churning out at least one more time. I’ll miss you Glenn Frey. Peace to your soul.
Kathy Brown
http://www.fosters.com/article/20160222/NEWS/160229796

UndertheWire
03-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Promoter Jimmy Koplik talked about Glenn and the Eagles but refused to kiss-and-tell. There's a backstage photo from the last tour.
http://theriver1059.iheart.com/onair/renee-25581/renee-jimmy-koplik-chat-about-glenn-14288158/

Here's his facebook post:
https://www.facebook.com/213932728735451/photos/a.229169010545156.53672.213932728735451/805820779546640/

03-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the links UTW. I can't find a link to listen to the conversation about Glenn. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

GlennLover
03-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the links UTW. I can't find a link to listen to the conversation about Glenn. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I was able to get to the site using the first link above. Did you scroll down past the picture?

UndertheWire
03-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Do you see the page with the picture of the Eagles holding shirts with a "15" on the back? If so, immediately below the picture, I see a rectangle with a pink heart and a "play" arrow in the middle.

Maybe this link will work better. If not, try a different browser.
http://theriver1059.iheart.com/media/play/26653273/

03-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Thanks GL and UTW - I did scroll down, but I didn't see anything. Anyway, I was in IE, so I opened a browser in Firefox and now I can see the player.

ETA: I just listened to that and, of course, it was fun and sad at the same time.

UndertheWire
03-09-2016, 04:26 AM
I'm just going to give a link to this as it's just someone writing about what the Eagles meant to him growing up and since and how he is losing some of his youth along with Glenn. Nice but not earth-shattering.
http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2016/03/08/the-eagles-rip-glenn-frey-the-days-of-youth/#sthash.hiCGfEFW.dpbs

Glennhoney
03-09-2016, 09:23 AM
..thanks..nice to read anything at all..

UndertheWire
03-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Facebook tribute from Les Garland with a couple of pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209215159362522&set=a.10202645204197749.1073741826.1427149090&type=3&theater

Thank you for the music. Thank you for making so many people so happy. Thank you for being Glenn Frey...an Eagle...a Husband...a Father..a Son...a Brother...a Friend...and a pure Rock Star. Thank you for many of the most memorable times in this life of mine. Thank you for defining friendship. RIP my Bud. January 18, 2015 / Earth

sodascouts
03-11-2016, 12:17 AM
Thanks for posting that.

buffyfan145
03-14-2016, 07:42 PM
I don't think I've seen these posted yet but does seem a few small tributes are happening for Glenn. The Detroit Music Awards just announced (http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/archives/2016/03/14/25th-anniversary-detroit-music-awards-will-honor-kid-rock) they're doing one on April 29th during their award show but haven't named who's performing yet. The Boston Pops are going to have classic rock tribute shows (http://www.bostonmagazine.com/arts-entertainment/blog/2016/02/19/boston-pops-spring-2016-season/) on May 10th & 11th and will perform variety of songs from various bands and also pay tribute to Glenn and David Bowie. Then the Winnipeg Folk Festival (http://winnipegfolkfestival.ca/blog/the-bluegrass-situation-to-cause-a-ruckus-at-the-winnipeg-folk-fest/) in July is going to on the final night perform the entirety of the "Hotel California" album with most of the artists at the festival performing.

Glennsallnighter
03-14-2016, 07:59 PM
Thanks BF. I would love to go to something like this

UndertheWire
03-15-2016, 08:26 AM
I posted this in a different thread a few weeks ago, but it belongs here, too. It's from Jack Tempchin:

“And because The Eagles and particularly my friend Glenn Frey are some of the few guys that I’ve met in life that are stand-up guys, I never had any trouble getting paid or getting credited for anything.” he adds. “They were just fantastic about that. Unlike a lot of the stories in the music business. They enabled me to just write songs my whole life and not to have other jobs.”
http://bestclassicbands.com/glenn-frey-collaborator-jack-tempchin-talks-songwriting-2-19-16/

buffyfan145
03-15-2016, 04:17 PM
I would love to go to something like how the Boston Pops are doing too. :D

Dan Patrick actually said a few things about Glenn in a new interview he did last night on "Off Camera with Sam Jones". I watch the show weekly as Sam is a director/writer who has great one on one hour long conversations with various actors, writers, directors, musicians, and now people involved with sports and I've known Dan since I was little and watched Sportscenter and his current radio/tv show. I wasn't expecting him to bring up Glenn since I didn't know when this was filmed but it must have been right after Glenn passed. Sam asked Dan about how he deals with interviews and if he can feel from the other person how the conversation should go and Dan replied this:

"Yes, you can tell. We had Glenn Frey on about 8 months before he died and I wanted to ask him so many questions about the Eagles but all Glenn wanted to talk about was the Tigers."

He laughed after and then went on how he loved getting to interview him and talk about sports, which was one of the reasons I loved that interview. I love baseball myself too (am a Giants & Reds fan) and that was really cool hearing him talk about his Tigers. So that was a nice unexpected moment for me. :)

sodascouts
03-15-2016, 09:40 PM
How he loved his sports!

I am looking into going to that Detroit tribute.

AlreadyGone95
03-15-2016, 10:03 PM
Since I don't have an AL (American League) baseball team that I support like I do my Braves*, I'm going to pull for The Tigers for Glenn.

*Braves are NL( National League)

buffyfan145
03-16-2016, 10:10 AM
I grew up in a NL house too as my Dad is a Reds fan and I found my Giants as a teen. I will support other players I like though. I actually did already like the Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander for a couple years (and still do) and they actually played my Giants in the World Series back in 2012 but my team won. LOL I know Glenn's team hasn't won since the 80s and would be nice if they do soon.

That's awesome Soda!!! :D

LuvTim
03-16-2016, 11:46 AM
How he loved his sports!

I hope you can work that out and get to go to this. :-)

TequilaSunrise82
03-16-2016, 06:38 PM
Just when I thought I was making progress and "getting over" it a day like today comes along and I can't stop tearing up :cry: It seems like when I have a tough day I immediately turn to Glenn's music and inevitably the tears come...makes me think of his family and how they must be suffering. Ah, sorry for the rambling just needed to vent.

Glennsallnighter
03-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Do vent TS! I feel exactly the same, sometimes I have 'good' days when I'm busy and/or things are going well and suddenly something comes into my mind from the blue and I tear up in despair all over again. Its very hard to come to terms with.

FWIW
03-16-2016, 07:44 PM
It's nice to be able to share with people who are facing the same struggles. Yesterday at work, I attempted to search some work emails for the word "golden" and got no hits. When I looked at what I actually typed, it was "glenn" and I got sad all over again.

GlennLover
03-16-2016, 10:02 PM
I find that I am tearing up more again & the pain at times is terrible, especially when I think of what his family must be going through & when I think of the future without him. My heart breaks for his dad as well.

L101
03-17-2016, 03:19 PM
For the day that's in it - Glenn singing 'Wild Mountain Thyme' from his Live in Dublin concert.
I hope you don't mind me putting this link here but it's one of my favourite versions of this song and it's my way of remembering Glenn.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imO6cgo7a3Y

buffyfan145
03-17-2016, 04:26 PM
I posted about it in the photo thread too but I love his version of "Wild Mountain Thyme" so much!!! :D It's one of my fav Celtic songs too and actually posted it on my Tumblr today for the holiday. Surprisingly my Mom didn't know he covered it so I showed it to her a couple weeks ago and she started crying as she loves that song so much and Glenn too. :heart:

TequilaSunrise82
03-17-2016, 04:30 PM
Yes thanks for posting that - I love the song and of course Glenn signing it makes it extra special!

Freypower
03-17-2016, 05:23 PM
For the day that's in it - Glenn singing 'Wild Mountain Thyme' from his Live in Dublin concert.
I hope you don't mind me putting this link here but it's one of my favourite versions of this song and it's my way of remembering Glenn.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imO6cgo7a3Y

Absolutely perfect.

UndertheWire
03-18-2016, 05:25 AM
A lovely tribute from Glenn's Royal Oak bandmates
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsMAd9DHago

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t450/hairynosed/subterraneans_zpskvsfsmy6.jpg

This one is a local news report on "Glenn Frey Drive" and includes an interview with former band-mate, Bill Barnes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4XreCIP5WY

Prettymaid
03-18-2016, 07:17 AM
Those were lovely to watch. Thank you.

FWIW
03-18-2016, 10:58 AM
Thanks UTW! You can imagine Glenn's perfectionism back in the early days when Bill Barnes describes their practice sessions. And he's still demanding, even decades later. "Hi Jeff. You're out of tune."

sodascouts
03-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Thanks so much for posting that link!

I'm definitely going to Detroit as of yesterday.

Oh, and yes, that version of WMT is lovely. Glenn really seemed to love Ireland.

JanetteG
03-18-2016, 02:20 PM
Thanks UTW! You can imagine Glenn's perfectionism back in the early days when Bill Barnes describes their practice sessions. And he's still demanding, even decades later. "Hi Jeff. You're out of tune."

Hello,

I'm one of the newer visitors who came here after Glenn's death. Many of you wrote to me about my tribute to him - from my point of view as someone who writes on classical music and opera but who had loved Glenn from a distance in my youth. This lovely clip of, what I thought of as, "Glenn's Geezers" was really touching; it was so moving to travel through time with these young/older men from his teen years.

And I realized as I watched it that if Glenn had kept up with his piano training and gone into classical music, he would almost certainly have made a dynamite orchestra conductor. The man had all the makings of a 'maestro' - huge energy, perfectionism, passion (using the word in its correct form - not the over-used current version), sensitivity, drive, musicality and massive charisma. And a huge ability to communicate his enthusiasm to the public. He kept doing that for 4 decades. Too bad he did not have the longevity of most conductors...

Brooke
03-18-2016, 03:15 PM
A lovely tribute from Glenn's Royal Oak bandmates
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsMAd9DHago

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t450/hairynosed/subterraneans_zpskvsfsmy6.jpg

This one is a local news report on "Glenn Frey Drive" and includes an interview with former band-mate, Bill Barnes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4XreCIP5WY

Thanks for these, UtW! Absolutely love the first one especially from his old band mates! Here come those tears again! :cry:

And of course, WMT is gorgeous! Hadn't heard/watched it for a while!

Freypower
03-18-2016, 05:32 PM
Hello,

I'm one of the newer visitors who came here after Glenn's death. Many of you wrote to me about my tribute to him - from my point of view as someone who writes on classical music and opera but who had loved Glenn from a distance in my youth. This lovely clip of, what I thought of as, "Glenn's Geezers" was really touching; it was so moving to travel through time with these young/older men from his teen years.

And I realized as I watched it that if Glenn had kept up with his piano training and gone into classical music, he would almost certainly have made a dynamite orchestra conductor. The man had all the makings of a 'maestro' - huge energy, perfectionism, passion (using the word in its correct form - not the over-used current version), sensitivity, drive, musicality and massive charisma. And a huge ability to communicate his enthusiasm to the public. He kept doing that for 4 decades. Too bad he did not have the longevity of most conductors...

That's interesting.

If you know Van Morrison, you would know that he often 'conducts' his band with expressive hand gestures & nods. Well, when I saw Glenn at Niagara Falls he did this too, specifically during The Look Of Love. He didn't have a guitar, admittedly, but during the instrumental sections he turned to the band & gestured towards them as if trying to communicate to them how he wanted the music to sound. He actually did use his hands the way a conducter would at one point.

Glennsallnighter
03-19-2016, 04:01 PM
How he loved his sports!

I'm going

Freypower
03-21-2016, 07:23 PM
Jack Tempchin has writen a poem:

https://www.facebook.com/JackTempchin/photos/pcb.10154717427189816/10154717423074816/?type=3&theater

I may as well copy it across. I will copy it exactly as written (spelling errors included).

When You Lose Someone

One day we were gonna
Sit on the porch
And look out to sea
And talk about the ups and downs
Of things that used to be
Cruising in our rocking chairs
Far away look in our eyes
Remembering all the things
That came to you and I

Remembering puffy white cloud days
Of victory rolling by
And the whole world listening to us
That's what came to you and I
But you never know
You never think
That things will come undone
I guess that's what happens
When you lose someone

The copper sun
The pale blue sky
I'm rocking all alone
And looking out to nowhere
Thinking of all that I've known

Someone to share
And be with
Someone who knows your mind
Someone whose been there with you
That's what makes it all so fine

Now I'm just an old man's voice
Talking all alone
Bout everything I had and lost
And all that's been my own
It ain't no good
It don't seem right
It really ain't no fun
But that's what life has for you
When you lose someone

There always is a bright side
That you can look on to
But your never gonna see it
If you don't see the dark side too
There's an empty hole that just won't fill
There's a mockingbird that just won't trill
There's a dawn that never comes
When you lose someone

buffyfan145
03-21-2016, 07:51 PM
Wow, thanks for posting that FP.

Steve Smith
03-21-2016, 09:00 PM
Hi guys and gals my name is Steve 50 years young and the Eagles are my favourite band from when I was a boy. My dad and Uncle would play their songs on their guitars on the camp fire in the mid 1970's when we were on holiday in the trailer park by the sea in Scotland. Our families could not afford a foreign holiday in those days but it has special memories. I picked up my dads guitar and began to learn these songs.

I have not read this thread through so I very much apologise if this story has been recounted.

Anyway Glenn and Jackson Browne were great friends in the early days and they set off to LA to find their dream. Anyway they found a cheap place to rent and Jackson got a room on the ground floor and Glenn got the basement.

Every night until the early hours Jackson would be banging on the piano upstairs composing while Glenn tried to sleep. Glenn actually said in an interview years later that it helped him to learn to compose subliminally because it all entered his mind subliminally.

Anyway after a few weeks Glenn had a right go at Jackson because he was fed up.

Jackson apologised but then Glenn said "Ok dude no problem... as long as you let me have that song you are working on for my new band ha ha"

The song was "Take it Easy" and the legend was born XXX

Jackson was actually offered to join the Eagles as a fifth member when they formed but he said no because he felt he wanted to be in control of his own songwriting but he stayed in a very close relationship with Glenn and the Eagles to this day. He is one of the dead outlaws on the back of the "Desperado" album.

God bless my fellow Eagles fans, the greatest band ever (well maybe the Beatles are on a par) ha ha

Love to hear from anyone XXX Take care, Steve

FWIW
03-21-2016, 10:19 PM
Thanks from me too, FP. What a beautiful poem. The feeling of loss is palpable.

Brooke
03-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Fp, thanks for posting Jack's poem. It's beautiful! :cry:

And Steve, welcome to the Border! And yes, we've heard Glenn and Jackson's story before, but it's always good to 'hear' again!

AlreadyGone95
03-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Thanks for posting Jack's poem, FP. It's beautiful, in a heartbreaking way. :(

Steve, that story has been told before, but like most great stories, it can be retold again and again. Welcome to the Border.

Glennsallnighter
03-23-2016, 05:36 AM
That's a beautiful poem. I read it on Jacks FB page on Monday. Thanks for transcribing it FP.

And welcome Steve. I'd love to have been part of your 70s holiday in Scotland. I'm just across the way in Ireland.

Freypower
03-25-2016, 08:53 PM
Jack has explained how the poem came about:

THANKS so much to everyone for your beautiful thoughts, comments and likes, it really helps. Here is how I came to write this lyric about Glenn.I got a package in the mail from Glenn Frey’s wife Cindy. She sent me a present for playing at his memorial... and because she is Cindy.
It was a few “Glenn Essentials”, things he always had with him wherever he traveled.

It included his favorite kind of Yellow Pad, like the ones we wrote all our songs on. Also a box of his favorite Palomino Blackwing soft graphite pencils. And there was a candle in a hand made container inside a small box to create instant mood in any hotel.

I sat down and lit the candle and picked up the pencil and wrote this:

AlreadyGone95
03-25-2016, 09:08 PM
:weep:. I got tear eyed while reading that. The explanation makes the poem even more beautiful.

Glennhoney
03-25-2016, 09:15 PM
Jack has explained how the poem came about:

THANKS so much to everyone for your beautiful thoughts, comments and likes, it really helps. Here is how I came to write this lyric about Glenn.I got a package in the mail from Glenn Frey’s wife Cindy. She sent me a present for playing at his memorial... and because she is Cindy.
It was a few “Glenn Essentials”, things he always had with him wherever he traveled.

It included his favorite kind of Yellow Pad, like the ones we wrote all our songs on. Also a box of his favorite Palomino Blackwing soft graphite pencils. And there was a candle in a hand made container inside a small box to create instant mood in any hotel.

I sat down and lit the candle and picked up the pencil and wrote this:
Oh wow....so very special and so very sad............

FWIW
03-25-2016, 10:19 PM
We're all still hurting so much. I can't even imagine how Glenn's family and close friends are feeling.

Steve - Welcome to the Boarder. I'm new as well and I rather like it here :)

Glennsallnighter
03-26-2016, 06:46 AM
Thanks for posting that FP. Isn't Cindy so sweet to Glenn :heart:s friends? I love the poem and hearing how it came about makes it even more special. Poor Jack - he must feel robbed.

shunlvswx
03-26-2016, 09:21 AM
Aww. That was soo sweet of Cindy. It had to be hard for her to put that all together for everybody who was part of the memorial. I hope she's doing well.

Nice story behind the poem.

buffyfan145
03-26-2016, 10:30 AM
Aww, that does make it even more special and that really is so sweet Cindy did that.

03-26-2016, 01:05 PM
Thanks FP for posting Jack's poem and story about the inspiration behind it. Both are beautiful and full of heart. :heart:

jane02
03-28-2016, 03:23 AM
Oh FP - that's amazing. I cant imagine Glenn being married to someone who wasn't a gorgeous person inside and out. How special.

travlnman2
03-28-2016, 08:02 AM
When Glenn passed it was like my grandmother passing even though I was not as hysterical we all lost our innocence and when I look at videos from the 70s to last year and then watch the Eagles at the Grammies it feels so surreal that Glenn is gone it truly is the End of Innocence.

shunlvswx
03-28-2016, 01:55 PM
Since Kris and Cindy are friends, I had wonder if Kris said anything about Glenn. I found this video of Kris talking a little about Glenn. This video is from January. I don't remembered if this video was posted.

http://extratv.com/videos/0-fld0gxqf/

Brooke
03-28-2016, 03:38 PM
Fp, thanks for posting Jack's poem and the story behind it! How very kind and sweet. He and Glenn must have been true friends. :sad:

Houston Baby
03-28-2016, 11:31 PM
I saw a post on FB with a drawing of Charlie Brown and Snoopy looking up into the dark sky filled with stars and the caption.......

"Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where
our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy".

My nightly prayer is that Glenn is happy, pain free and shining down on us.

All of you have been in my prayers too, my Eagles friends & buddies as I call you. And even though I have not posted you have been in my thoughts. Your posts have been a comfort to me. I just could never find the words to post. For me there were no words. :grouphug:

jane02
03-29-2016, 12:57 AM
I saw a post on FB with a drawing of Charlie Brown and Snoopy looking up into the dark sky filled with stars and the caption.......

All of you have been in my prayers too, my Eagles friends & buddies as I call you. And even though I have not posted you have been in my thoughts. Your posts have been a comfort to me. I just could never find the words to post. For me there were no words. :grouphug:

That is beautiful.:nod:

buffyfan145
03-29-2016, 04:36 PM
I'm going to post more about it in the book thread but one of my friends Marie Cauley self-published her debut novel "Never Forgotten You" and the lead male character I pictured as Glenn. :D It's a romance novel too and I loved it. There are just so many weird similarities between the Chris character and Glenn, as Chris was a 70s rock musician/singer/actor who after 20 years is back (the book takes place in the late 90s). Chris is in his early 40s in the book and he falls for one of his fans Karen, who's in her early 30s (she's got her own storylines too) and he was one of her pre-teen/teen idols. Even Chris' personality reminded me of Glenn, and some of the things he said about his past and having to do "soul searchin" for where he is now, his romance with Karen and the age difference reminded me of Cindy, how he wants to do more R&B and standards in his solo career, things that happened in the 70s to him, and his sense of humor on & off stage. Even some of the supporting characters reminded me of Don (his best friend and band mate), Randy (his bass player whose initials are RM), and there was even a kindly young priest in it named Father Timothy. LOL I know I pictured Glenn easily since he was one of my Mom's teen idols in the 70s and the Eagles reunited when I was 8 and I was so drawn to him then, and when I became a teen.

I told Marie about this too and she thought that was awesome. She wrote Chris after her own teen idols in the 70s & 80s, but can now see how I pictured Glenn.

I just loved it so much and Marie did such a great job, and I can't wait for book 2 in the series. :D

Brooke
03-30-2016, 09:17 AM
Sounds like a good story, Buffy!

buffyfan145
03-30-2016, 10:08 AM
Sounds like a good story, Buffy!

It was and I'm anxiously waiting for the sequel. She left it on a cliffhanger too, so I told her to hurry. LOL :D

AlreadyGone95
03-30-2016, 12:51 PM
Sounds like a book I would enjoy reading. I'll have to check it out.

AlreadyGone95
04-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Not sure where to post this. It came in a Google alert. It's tribute show to Glenn involving musicians I've never heard of. The event will take place next Thursday, April 7th, at the Shell Cafe in Pismo Beach, CA.
http://lompocrecord.com/entertainment/music/songwriters-at-play-to-pay-tribute-to-eagles-co-founder/article_88d24575-cb94-533c-9db0-b1b3ff69c801.html

Also in the Google alert was this youtube video of the Glenn Frey drive dedication.
https://youtu.be/LGjk9GCA-YA

04-02-2016, 05:13 PM

I like that lovely observation of Charlie Brown's, HB. He's a bright fella. And glad to see you posting again. I sure am glad you found it comforting to come here and read other's thoughts, even if you weren't up to sharing at the time. It is perfectly understandable, and it was keeping you connected to Glenn and other fans in a way that worked for you - that's the important thing.

I am so thankful that we have The Border - not only for the last 10 years, but, especially, in the last 2 1/2 months.

UndertheWire
04-06-2016, 08:34 AM
How about a sweet story? This was posted on the Eagles facebook and although I'm not completely comfortable with reposting facebook comments, as it's one of nearly 76,000, I might not be able to find it again. I'm not posting the name, but if she's reading this, thank you for sharing.

A true story: I was 16 years when I read that Randy Meisner was leaving the band and the Glenn and Randy had physically fought so I decided to write them both a letter to admonish them for their behavior. About two weeks after I mailed the letter I got a phone call from none other than Glenn Frey. My mother answered the phone and when she heard a mans voice asking for her daughter began to question him. Unaware of who she was talking to, I remember her saying "I'm not famaliar with your band." She did allow me to talk to him but I was mortified that she told one of the biggest bands of the time that she didn't know who they were and I was rather shy back then. I just remember my hands shaking and my mouth drying up. I couldn't think of anything to ask or say. I just remember how kind, and sweet he was to me on the phone.

Brooke
04-06-2016, 09:15 AM
OMG! A phone call from Glenn back in the 70's! How awesome! I would have died and gone to heaven right then! I'd also love to know what she said in the letters to get his response! :thumbsup: Glenn!

buffyfan145
04-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Oh wow that is amazing he called her!!! :D I'd love to know what she wrote him and Randy too.

I had another thought of Glenn this morning as I was watching one of my favorite actresses Kristen Bell get interviewed and she was talking about a variety of topics including about growing up in Michigan. She too was from the Royal Oak area and pretty much joked she grew up in Mayberry. LOL :D This totally made me think of comments Glenn's said about his hometown too and with his love for James Dean and my guess wanting to get out and go to California. LOL Plus, I noticed even more when Kristen isn't acting her accent sounds so much like Glenn's now. Even though I've been a fan of hers for over 10 years I never knew they were from the same town till around Feb/March, but I can hear it now too. Plus, it was nice hearing her talking about music and how she loves singing too. Her comments sounded familiar too.

jane02
04-06-2016, 11:12 PM
OMG! A phone call from Glenn back in the 70's! How awesome! I would have died and gone to heaven right then! I'd also love to know what she said in the letters to get his response! :thumbsup: Glenn!
I wouldn't have known what to say either but how cool.:heart:

Freypower
04-06-2016, 11:53 PM
I am very sceptical about the veracity of the story.

Apart from anything else was the altercation that Randy & Glenn had made public? I would have thought not.

UndertheWire
04-07-2016, 09:46 AM
I know I've been feeling a bit sad the last few days and I get the idea that others are, too. What I find comforting is that Glenn appears to have lived a happy and balanced life for most of the time since 1980. We've read about how many of their tours seemed to be organised around the golf courses he wanted to play and how he often had family with him. Also, the long gaps in the schedules that allowed a lot of downtime which he spent with family and friends doing what regular folks do (or would do given his resources!). As fans, we may have grumbled that he didn't spend as much time recording as we'd have liked, but now, knowing that he wouldn't have a long retirement, I'm glad that he was able do all that while he was fit and healthy.

I still love Rolling Stone's oral history, as posted earlier in this thread, as it shows the arc of Glenn's career, as told by the people who knew him: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=320470&postcount=178

I'm still waiting to hear more from Don Henley, Joe and Tim. I hope it's not too long before they get those books written (Don and Joe, thought I'd be happy to see one from Tim, too).

TequilaSunrise82
04-07-2016, 10:22 AM
I am very sceptical about the veracity of the story.

Apart from anything else was the altercation that Randy & Glenn had made public? I would have thought not.

I agree with FP. I can't imagine Glenn would pick up the phone and call a random fan he got a letter from on such a topic nonetheless. But I guess a girl can dream :inlove:

FWIW
04-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Very perceptive UtW. I've also been feeling a little sad. It hasn't really gone away since Jan 18, but it's a little more intense lately. I think it's because I've seen others move forward with their plans, e.g. Don and Joe doing tours this summer, while I know that Glenn will never have that chance.

I agree that the Rolling Stone "oral history" piece is outstanding. I also like the story from the dedication of Glenn Frey Drive. http://patch.com/michigan/royaloak/glenn-frey-drive-paved-memories-eagles-legend I especially like the quote from his high school buddy Bob Wilson, "But more than anything, Glenn Frey was fun." I could use that quote as a caption for so many photos. I think both stories reinforce the fact that Glenn never forgot about his friends along the way. So many referred to him as a truly stand-up guy.

In the many videos and photos I've seen since his death, Glenn always looked like he was having the time of his life. Family and friends were never in short supply. I have no idea if the FB story is true, but given the things I've read it seems possible to me. He was certainly dedicated to his fans and I could see him trying to set the record straight.

Though he was only 67 when he died, he packed an awful lot in those years. I feel fortunate that he left us with so much to enjoy for years to come.

shunlvswx
04-07-2016, 11:48 AM
I don't know how I missed that article from Rolling Stone. It was nice to hear anybody's opinion on Glenn and some quotes from Glenn in there too. He was really loved by his friends.

I have to feel sorry for Don during those 2 months when Glenn was very sick. He had all that responsibility on his shoulders trying to keep everybody updated on Glenn's condition and probably visiting Glenn a few times while he was in the hospital. It makes me think of a politician. Your public official(where its the mayor, governor or president) is very sick and the city or country is now in your hands now until he or she get better since you are next in line.

Freypower
04-08-2016, 10:38 PM
A 'surprise' tribute at the Hall of Fame by Sheryl Crow. The tribute to Bowie was also a 'surprise'. I don't know what to say.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/glenn-frey-rock-hall-tribute/

In Rolling Stone's coverage of the HoF ceremony this tribute has not been mentioned once.

buffyfan145
04-09-2016, 10:20 AM
I saw that pop up in my Google Alert this morning and I love they did that!!! :D I love both Sheryl and Grace and I saw the YT vid that's posted in the other thread and they did so well imo. Hopefully we'll get a clearer vid with less background talking after it airs later this month.

ETA: Apparently according to some of the articles they'll also be doing a video "In Memoriam" segment/individual segments for the musicians who passed in the past year & couple months during the HBO broadcast. Besides Glenn and Bowie, Merle Haggard was paid tribute individually as well.

Freypower
04-09-2016, 07:56 PM
RS have now decided the tribute was one of the highlights of the HoF ceremony.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/15-best-moments-at-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-2016-induction-20160409/sheryl-crow-and-grace-potter-honor-glenn-frey-20160409

Except look at how they have written the song's title.

:thumbsdown: :enraged::cuss:

Prettymaid
04-09-2016, 08:11 PM
Here's the video. What's with all the people up front moving around during the performance (56 seconds in)? :eyebrow:

http://youtu.be/Zd7g4okWUQQ

04-09-2016, 09:13 PM
Sheryl and Grace did a really nice job with the song.

And I could care less about what Rolling Stone's opinion is as I have zero respect for their opinion. However, I sure hope that the tribute makes it onto the televised broadcast - it definitely deserves to. I'll be livid if the Bowie tribute makes the cut and Glenn's doesn't.

sodascouts
04-11-2016, 07:27 AM
I'm very glad they did a tribute. Good for them. And yes, HBO had better air it!

buffyfan145
04-14-2016, 07:47 PM
I just saw another little smaller tribute to Glenn pop up in my Google Alert with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (http://www.broadwayworld.com/atlanta/article/Atlanta-Symphony-Orchestra-to-Perform-Pair-of-Summer-Concerts-20160414) doing a tribute concert on June 25th. It's called "The Music of The Eagles: A Tribute to Glenn Frey" and it'll be a 2-hour concert of 18 Eagles songs (not sure if they'll also do Glenn's solo songs). They'll also actually have a band performing with them as the conductor wanted to keep the harmonies and vocals of the songs, but add his own orchestra to them, and he actually talks about it more in the article. I really wish I could go to this as I love hearing rock music mixed with an orchestra. I have Collective Soul's DVD where they performed with a kids orchestra and it was amazing. This will probably be really great!!! :D

04-14-2016, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Buffy. Since this is on a Saturday night, it may be doable for me. I'm going to check it and definitely consider going.

TequilaSunrise82
04-14-2016, 09:28 PM
I just saw another little smaller tribute to Glenn pop up in my Google Alert with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (http://www.broadwayworld.com/atlanta/article/Atlanta-Symphony-Orchestra-to-Perform-Pair-of-Summer-Concerts-20160414) doing a tribute concert on June 25th. It's called "The Music of The Eagles: A Tribute to Glenn Frey" and it'll be a 2-hour concert of 18 Eagles songs (not sure if they'll also do Glenn's solo songs). They'll also actually have a band performing with them as the conductor wanted to keep the harmonies and vocals of the songs, but add his own orchestra to them, and he actually talks about it more in the article. I really wish I could go to this as I love hearing rock music mixed with an orchestra. I have Collective Soul's DVD where they performed with a kids orchestra and it was amazing. This will probably be really great!!! :D

I will actually be in Atlanta in June but earlier in the month! :weep: I would have loved to see this. Hopefully it will end up online somewhere.

jane02
04-14-2016, 09:51 PM
HELP - Yesterday I was part way through watching a two part interview Glenn did with some TV guy who's surname was Smiley?? I had to go to work and trying to find which thread the interview was posted in but I cannot find it.:depressed:
Can someone please point me in the right direction. I had really enjoyed the first part.

Prettymaid
04-14-2016, 10:03 PM
HELP - Yesterday I was part way through watching a two part interview Glenn did with some TV guy who's surname was Smiley?? I had to go to work and trying to find which thread the interview was posted in but I cannot find it.:depressed:
Can someone please point me in the right direction. I had really enjoyed the first part.

Is it here? Post #98?
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6132&highlight=Tavis+smiley&page=10

LuvTim
04-14-2016, 10:04 PM

Go to

pbs.org/video/2365647990/

That's the page for part 1 of the Tavis Smiley interview. You should be able to link to part 2 from there.

Good luck.

04-14-2016, 10:05 PM
Jane - I think this is the post you may be looking for:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=328479&highlight=tavis+smiley#post328479

ETA: Well - I guess with three responses, Jane should be able to find the Tavis Smiley interview. :thumbsup:

LuvTim
04-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Jane - I think this is the post you may be looking for:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=328479&highlight=tavis+smiley#post328479

ETA: Well - I guess with three responses, Jane should be able to find the Tavis Smiley interview. :thumbsup:

How funny. :-)

Freypower
04-14-2016, 10:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN92cPvmdkw

http://www.pbs.org/video/2255342458/

UndertheWire
04-15-2016, 05:55 AM
This guy is a good writer and his descriptions of the young Glenn are vivid and hilarious. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Friday, 12 February 2016 Glenn Frey

When I went to work for Bizarre in 1969 my hours were long and usually included evenings, which along with my deeply ingrained lack of social skills resulted in my having a minimal social life. I did, however, occasionally deliver equipment for acts that were playing at the Troubadour in West Hollywood, at the time the preeminent live music venue in that part of the world, and it provided me with some social contact.

The Troubadour basically had two public rooms. The live music took place in the show room, which cost money to get into. The front bar, however, was open to the public and generally patronised by Hollywood music-biz types. Considering myself to be a Hollywood music-biz type, I began to patronise the Troubadour’s front bar on the evenings I wasn’t working. People who recognised me from having been in contact with them through work accepted me there, and the general clientele tended to make me feel at home.

What with regulars going off on tour and out-of-town friends coming by to play the Troub or just to visit, the usual gang was a changeable one. Two regulars who were usually around and with whom I frequently swapped quips and observations were Russ Giguere, from a band called the Association (‘Along Comes Mary’, ‘Windy’, ‘Cherish’, and so on), and Glenn Frey, then with a semi-electric folk-country-rock duo with JD Souther called Longbranch Pennywhistle.

The fellow who owned the Troubadour, Doug Weston, was also Longbranch Pennywhistle’s manager, so Glenn was able to eat and drink there on the tab. He also did well with the place’s female employees and with random groupies who’d show up. One night he and Russ and I and Ed Sanders, the founder of the legendary Fugs and in town to make a solo album, upon which John Ware played drums, were at one end of the bar bending our collective elbows and making off-colour conversation about establishment politics and hillbillies’ sexual proclivities and so forth. Over the course of about four or five hours Glenn excused himself three times after being approached by decorative young women, disappeared for an hour or so each time, and then returned to us and a fresh beer.

“Damn!” Sanders noted. “that boy gets more ass than a toilet seat!”

As an aside, Sanders was perhaps the most convivial of all the pop and underground Legends to pass some time in the front bar between sets and otherwise. Probably the least convivial was Van Morrison, whom I idolised. Between his stunningly magnificent sets he sat at the bar over what looked like straight whisky, his stay-the-f***-away-from-me body language and facial expression so powerful that it was tangible as well as visual, to the extent that nobody in the crowded room of socialising musicians and music-biz people dared to penetrate that palpable barrier and sit within two barstools of him.

Despite his band’s performance genre, Glenn as a music consumer – and the Troubadour had plenty of music to consume – definitely seemed to prefer heavy-on-the-backbeat stuff. The sound of the performances in the show room made it out to the bar, clearly enough if the connecting door was open. The only time I can remember Glenn getting up from his seat and dashing into the showroom for an act was for some rockabilly band in the Carl Perkins-Elvis-Jerry Lee mode. He came back muttering about how much he was born to do rock and roll and f*** this folk-music shit.

Hollywood, like I suppose New York and London and other places, attracts tens of thousands of the world’s most talented people every year. People who have won their colleges’ talent contests hands down, or who were way too much for Oklahoma City or Mobile or similar places to handle. Only a few, obviously, achieve fame and fortune – let alone flash-in-the-pan, essentially small-time name recognition, or poorly remunerated appreciation by cognoscenti, or even a living. When I was in the business there I almost became dulled by talent, seeing so many people who had so much of it going nowhere.

Recognising that talent alone does not equal popular success, I became somewhat fascinated by trying to figure out what did. An oversupply of hamminess, of a willingness to do anything to catch the public’s eye, is certainly a factor. And, as with so many other things in life, unshakable self-confidence is another.

Glenn was certain that he was going to be a star. He had absolutely no doubts at all. He told me once that one day they’d put a bronze plaque outside the door to the grotty little place in Echo Park where he was living then, commemorating it as a place he’d lived at the start of his glorious career. The funny thing was that when he said this he was completely believable. I wonder if that plaque’s there now.

I encountered Bernie Leadon once during the course of my job. At the time he was with a revolving-door band called the Corvettes, which sometimes played behind Linda Ronstadt. I took a sort of instant dislike to him, as in the minute or two I was there he flaunted a dismissive, ego-centric arrogance bordering on right-wingedness. I’m sure I made no impression at all on him as, being a faceless, voiceless member of the servant class, my fate was to be ignored.

I heard second-hand that when Glenn and Bernie and the others were first putting their as-yet unnamed band together their manager was so taken by the amount of self-assured star quality that they exuded that he called them ‘The Egos’. They only changed this a bit when coming up with the band’s final name.

http://selinkoffnamedrop.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/glenn-frey_70.html

jane02
04-15-2016, 07:18 AM
Thank you all so much - Prettymaid, LuvTim, I've always been a dreamer and Freypower. You are all awesome. I thought I was going crazy!!
I'm going to settle in now and watch part 2.:thumbsup:

FWIW
04-15-2016, 10:17 AM
Thanks, UtW! I enjoyed reading that blog post.

I've read so many stories about Glenn's success with women before he settled down, yet Glenn often talks about how JD was even more successful in that department. Their place in Echo Park must have been quite a hub of activity!

buffyfan145
04-15-2016, 10:26 AM
You're welcome Dreamer and Tequila, and it would be so great if it was online as I'd love to see it too.

Thanks UTW for that post. Loved reading about younger Glenn too. LOL :D

AlreadyGone95
04-15-2016, 11:19 AM
That was such a good and funny read. Thanks for posting it, UtW. I love reading about young Glenn.

NightMistBlue
04-15-2016, 12:22 PM
Very interesting - thanks, UtW. And at least we learn that Ed Sanders was convivial and charming in person. Now I can understand why Frey and the others were friends with him. Reading about him on the Internet, he just kinda seemed like an unhinged conspiracy nut.

04-16-2016, 12:44 PM
I enjoyed reading that too, UTW. Glenn was such a likable, colorful, and charismatic guy that there was no way success could evade him! :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
04-18-2016, 04:21 AM
It's getting harder to find things, but Danny Kortchmar's facebook page turned up yesterday. "Kootch" played on No Fun Aloud, before working extensively with Don Henley.

Danny Kortchmar (https://www.facebook.com/dkootch/?fref=nf)

January 18 (https://www.facebook.com/dkootch/posts/948750271838867) ·

I can't believe we lost Glenn Frey (https://www.facebook.com/GlennFreyOfficial/) ...he was a great cat...sharp as a tack, very funny and a terrific musician. What a terrible loss....he will be missed

UndertheWire
04-18-2016, 05:19 AM
A shorter version of this Facebook post by Andrew Kastner (https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F) was posted on the Jack Mack Website. What this adds is the Glenn wanted to include "Somewhere Somebody" on "The Allnighter".
A reminder of Somewhere Somebody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynVkl0_Mr70

The extra part:

Glenn was like no other. He had all these nicknames like Sportecus because he was a sport fanatic. He also gave all of us what he called our monster names. I think mine was Dave. Your monster name was your alter ego. It was who you became when you were mind was slightly altered. Glenn had several; Duane, X and probably a few more. He was super smart and funny guy but man you didn’t want to be around him when he was pissed off.

While in the studio I wrote a song with one of my writing partners, Larry john Mcnally called Somewhere Somebody. We thought it might be perfect for Glenn so many months later I sent it to him and to my surprise he told me he wanted to record it for his Smugglers Blues album. The band put a lot of pressure on me to not let him do it because we were shopping a record deal since Warner Boros had just dropped us. In those days you needed a great song to get a deal and that one was our best. In hindsight I was foolish telling Glenn he couldn't record the song. I don’t think many people, if any, ever said “no” to him and I don’t think he thought very fondly of me for doing that. Lucky for us Aaron Neville recorded the song and had a number 1 AC hit with it. http://tinyurl.com/grwpu6d.The credits for the song are given as (Andrew Kastner, Larry McNally, Max Gronenthal). Larry McNally wrote "I love to Watch a Woman Dance".

Brooke
04-18-2016, 01:51 PM
I just saw this on Fb. If it's already been posted, please disregard or move to the proper place. I get confused on all these threads about him.

http://societyofrock.com/glenn-frey-performs-2012-tequila-sunrise-that-will-leave-you-in-tears/

Glennhoney
04-19-2016, 05:15 PM
I just saw this on Fb. If it's already been posted, please disregard or move to the proper place. I get confused on all these threads about him.

http://societyofrock.com/glenn-frey-performs-2012-tequila-sunrise-that-will-leave-you-in-tears/
LOVE IT...:smitten:

04-19-2016, 05:44 PM
Thanks for posting those UTW and Brooke. We appreciate your diligence in finding new stuff.

04-19-2016, 06:11 PM
JCL found this and posted it in another thread. I thought I'd post it here as well since it is a tribute to Glenn written the day after he passed ...

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/music/news/article.cfm?c_id=264&objectid=11576209

Remembering Glenn Frey of The Eagles

Tuesday, 19 January 2016

By Tim Roxborogh

Who wears an Eagles shirt to a wedding!? We were all thinking it. Actually, a bunch of us were saying it too. Friends of mine were getting married in gardens next to a beach on New South Wales' Central Coast a couple of years back and amidst all the suits and gowns was a good Aussie bloke in jeans and a T-shirt.

But not just any T-shirt. A T-shirt of the biggest selling American band in history. A band whose sustained impact over five decades is so internationally huge that they were selling out stadiums in far-flung places like Australia and New Zealand as recently as nine months ago. A band who are now almost certainly no more. If I had a wedding today I think I'd have to find an Eagles T-shirt to wear.

I can't quite believe the news about Glenn Frey. The co-leader of that most American of bands - The Eagles - has died aged 67, his bandmates having released this statement on their website eagles.com:

"It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our comrade, Eagles founder, Glenn Frey, in New York City on Monday, January 18th, 2016. Glenn fought a courageous battle for the past several weeks but, sadly, succumbed to complications from Rheumatoid Arthritis, Acute Ulcerative Colitis and Pneumonia."

Coming just a week after David Bowie's death, this is a depressing (I want to say "crap") reminder for fans of popular music that their heroes who came of age musically in the 60s and early 70s are all pretty close in age. And that age is about 70.

Frey was one-half of the defining American songwriting partnerships of the 70s. Alongside joint Eagles bandleader Don Henley, the two of the them co-wrote the bulk of the most famous Eagles songs. Tracks like Desperado, Best Of My Love, Lyin' Eyes, One Of These Nights, Hotel California and New Kid In Town all bear the Henley & Frey writers' credit.

It's not that the other Eagles couldn't all sing and write too. Don Felder has a co-credit for Hotel California's famed guitar solo, Bernie Leadon's gorgeous Bitter Creek is my favourite barely-known Eagles song, it's Randy Meisner on Take It To The Limit and Timothy B. Schimdt on I Can't Tell You Why. And Joe Walsh, well everybody knows Joe Walsh.

But it was Henley and Frey who drove the band, controlling everything from its creative output to its finances to its personnel (with some considerable acrimony in the case of Felder). Henley and Frey weren't just good singers either. Frey has deferred to Henley as the more dynamic vocalist and when you consider just how deceptively soulful Henley's strongest vocals were, from the torchlight standard Desperado to the R&B-inflicted One Of These Nights to the late-period masterpiece Waiting In The Weeds, you realise Frey may've been both modest and had a point.
Continued below.

Only it wasn't Henley who sang lead on Take It Easy, nor Tequila Sunrise, nor Peaceful Easy Feeling, nor Lyin' Eyes, nor New Kid In Town, nor Heartache Tonight. All Frey leads, all some of the most loved and most played Eagles songs. In Frey the Eagles possessed one of the smoothest voices in rock and a more country-styled yin to Henley's soul-influenced yang. And together they could sing harmony as well as anyone in the business. It wasn't enough for the vocals and harmonies to be good, for the Eagles they had to be perfect.

Imagine how Henley will be hurting right now, losing a brother in life and in harmony. This from a just released Don Henley statement that rollingstone.com have published:

"Glenn was the one who started it all," he wrote. "He was the spark plug, the man with the plan. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of popular music and a work ethic that wouldn't quit. He was funny, bullheaded, mercurial, generous, deeply talented and driven."

It's late March in 2013 on Australia's Central Coast and the wedding party has moved indoors to the surf club for the reception. Talk turns to the chap in the Eagles T-shirt with the bride and groom revealing they were in such a joyous nuptial blur they couldn't remember seeing him. We scan the room and he's not at the reception. Who was he? Was he just some guy? Did he get changed into a suit for the reception like some kind of wedding Batman? Did he hear me laugh at him and leave? I never found out.
Wherever this mystery man is, whoever he is, I hope he's wearing that T-shirt again today. I love that band too mate. RIP Glenn Frey. From Don Henley, said just a few hours ago:

"Rest in peace my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some."

Prettymaid
04-19-2016, 09:41 PM
JCL found this and posted it in another thread. I thought I'd post it here as well since it is a tribute to Glenn written the day after he passed...

Only it wasn't Henley who sang lead on Take It Easy, nor Tequila Sunrise, nor Peaceful Easy Feeling, nor Lyin' Eyes, nor New Kid In Town, nor Heartache Tonight. All Frey leads, all some of the most loved and most played Eagles songs. In Frey the Eagles possessed one of the smoothest voices in rock and a more country-styled yin to Henley's soul-influenced yang. And together they could sing harmony as well as anyone in the business. It wasn't enough for the vocals and harmonies to be good, for the Eagles they had to be perfect.

This person gets it. Glenn's vocals were every bit as loved by Eagle fans as Don Henley's. Glenn thought he should sing less because they had Don Henley. Even Glenn didn't get it. I hope he gets it now. I think he does.

GlennLover
04-19-2016, 09:42 PM
This person gets it. Glenn's vocals were every bit as loved by Eagle fans as Don Henley's. Glenn thought he should sing less because they had Don Henley. Even Glenn didn't get it. I hope he gets it now. I think he does.

You're so right, PM.

Freypower
04-19-2016, 10:38 PM

I hope he did get it, is all I can say to that, but it's too late now. :weep:

buffyfan145
04-20-2016, 09:55 AM
I totally agree PM and it's so nice to see that. I always loved Glenn's voice and it was always so clear and never changed, and I agree about the contrast to Don's voice. That's probably why it sounded so great when they all sang together. I think he knows now too.

UndertheWire
04-21-2016, 08:19 AM
I was in two minds whether to post this. The bad bit is the writer has reached the conclusion, based on interviews rather than personal experience, that Glenn was a jerk. However, he also writes eloquently of why Glenn's music is important to him. Given that, I'm going with a link rather than a cut-and-paste.
http://www.southernminn.com/scene/music/article_c98599d2-bead-11e5-a353-43bd477413dd.html

I'm going to quote one line because it predicted something that didn't happen.

Over the coming days you will no doubt read and hear some pretty distasteful things about Frey’s character.
Instead, there have been many, many people writing about his kindness, generosity and humour. I wonder how many people have noticed that.

buffyfan145
04-21-2016, 08:55 PM
My local news was doing their coverage of Prince's passing and they had a reporter at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I've never been so I didn't know they had a hallway where they honor the musicians who have passed away during the past year and they're already making room to add things for Prince. They had items of each artist in glass cases but they didn't really zoom in on that. However the camera started panning the walls in a circle where they have massive black & white portraits and I saw Ben E. King, Merle Haggard, Lemmy, David Bowie, others I couldn't make out, and then finally the camera ended on Glenn. I'm not exactly sure when or where the picture was from but it was sometime in the early 70s as Glenn had long hair and no facial hair. Thought it was so nice they showed that otherwise I probably never would've known they did something.

NOLA
04-22-2016, 10:17 AM
Saw that Google did a special "Purple Rain" doodle for the passing of Prince.
Does anyone remember if they did one for Glenn? A "Tequila Sunrise," perhaps?

Brooke
04-22-2016, 10:49 AM
I don't know if google did anything or not. I hope they did.

This morning I turned on my car to come to work and I heard the opening chords of Take It Easy come on the radio. Most of you know that it is my favorite Eagles song and also my favorite song of all time. It was bittersweet listening to it on my 5 minute drive and I was nostalgic and thinking of Glenn singing it in his early 70's days and how young he sounded. I loved how he belted out "lighten up while you still can"! I just loved his young voice so much! So smooth and so sweet and sexy! His voice grew deeper as he got older, but he always managed to sing it with gusto. It nearly brought me to tears thinking I'd never get to hear him live again. :sigh:

But, nevertheless, a great way to start a Freyday!

GlennLover
04-22-2016, 01:30 PM
It's my favourite song of all time too, Brooke. I heard it on the radio this morning as well. It certainly creates mixed emotion!

buffyfan145
04-22-2016, 04:51 PM
Brooke, I totally agree about "Take it Easy" too. :D

Nola, as far as I remember Google didn't do a doodle after Glenn passed. I have Google for my home screen and love when they do them. They usually though tend to stick more to celebrities birthdays when they hit a milestone, so I think they could for Glenn's 70th birthday in 2 years. They did for all four of The Beatles when they hit 70.

Freypower
04-22-2016, 06:49 PM
Brooke, I totally agree about "Take it Easy" too. :D

Nola, as far as I remember Google didn't do a doodle after Glenn passed. I have Google for my home screen and love when they do them. They usually though tend to stick more to celebrities birthdays when they hit a milestone, so I think they could for Glenn's 70th birthday in 2 years. They did for all four of The Beatles when they hit 70.

I hate to be cynical but if they didn't acknowledge his death they won't acknowledge his 70th birthday.

Once again I find myself comparing the amount of media coverage & feeling that Glenn did not get the respect he deserved. Only yesterday the BBC & Guardian ran two stories about celebrities who have died this year. He wasn't mentioned in either.

GlennLover
04-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Any commentary or articles that I have seen on celebrities that have died this year have included Glenn & I know that at least one was British. So that's good. Don't know what's wrong with BBC.

buffyfan145
04-22-2016, 08:42 PM
I just remembered too Glenn passed on Martin Luther King, Jr. day and that was Google's doodle for the day so they wouldn't have changed it anyway. And I still could see them doing that for his 70th though. They recently did Ravi Shankar's birthday a couple weeks ago and I didn't expect that. I've also seen them honor various other scientists, musicians, actors, and other writers that I knew and others I did not. It's a good way to get people to research who or what their doodles are about.

I've also seen him get mentioned in so many articles talking about all the celebrities we've lost this year. Even the talk shows keep bringing him up too with the others.

GlennLover
04-22-2016, 09:57 PM
I get Google alerts about many bands & orchestras giving concerts of Eagles' music in tribute to Glenn.

Just as an FYI, Google's doodle today is for Earth Day.

shunlvswx
04-22-2016, 10:45 PM
The local cartoonist for my city's newspaper did this cartoon yesterday. He is soo right.

https://www.facebook.com/129882963731605/photos/a.129908890395679.30036.129882963731605/1000707986649094/?type=3&theater

AlreadyGone95
04-23-2016, 12:19 AM
I'm glad to see someone mention Glenn's voice.

Every article I have seen regarding the increasing numberr of musicians who've died has listed Glenn, usually right after David Bowie.

Shun,that cartoon says it perfectly. The year isn't even halfway over yet! :(

04-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Yep - as Glenn may have said 'That cartoon about clocks it'.

And I have to say, everything I've seen in the U.S. in terms of recognizing the 2016 musicians that have left us did include Glenn. Of course, rightfully so, MHO.

shunlvswx
04-23-2016, 01:52 PM
I was going to wait to say this, but I read on facebook that their will have special edition of Glenn and The Eagles. It should be coming out very soon. We will keep an eye out for this. I'm going to Books a Million next week when I get paid. It should be on the shelves by then.

AlreadyGone95
04-23-2016, 01:55 PM
I was going to wait to say this, but I read on facebook that their will have special edition of Glenn and The Eagles. It should be coming out very soon. We will keep an eye out for this. I'm going to Books a Million next week when I get paid. It should be on the shelves by then.

I heard about that. I'll also be looking at my local BAM store.

ETA: Fastlane posted something about RS doing something yesterday (Friday), but neither RS's Facebook or their website mention anything about doing something for Glenn.

Freypower
04-23-2016, 09:33 PM

Who? Rolling Stone?

shunlvswx
04-23-2016, 09:49 PM
Yes. Rolling Stone will have special edition on the Eagles. I don't know why I left out the magazine.

04-24-2016, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the info, shun. Since this is a tribute to the band, I went ahead and started a thread in the Eagles forum.

And on another note, after Prince's passing, the New Times published a short article in which Glenn and David Bowie are featured.

http://www.nytimes.com/live/prince-in-memoriam/after-princes-death-mourners-target-2016-on-twitter/?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

With ‘Dear 2016,’ Music Fans Lament a Bad Year (http://www.nytimes.com/live/prince-in-memoriam/after-princes-death-mourners-target-2016-on-twitter)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2016/04/21/arts/21DEATHS-COMBO/21DEATHS-COMBO-tmagArticle.jpg (http://www.nytimes.com/live/prince-in-memoriam/after-princes-death-mourners-target-2016-on-twitter/)
Credit From left: Maurizio Gambarini/DPA, via Agence France-Presse -- Getty Images; AP Photo/Gus Ruelas; Bertrand Guay/Agence France-Presse -- Getty Images

April 21, 2016
By: Daniel E. Slotnik

After spending winter mourning the deaths of high-profile musicians, including David Bowie (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/12/arts/music/david-bowie-dies-at-69.html) and Glenn Frey (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/19/arts/music/glenn-frey-a-founding-member-of-the-eagles-dies-at-67.html), legions of fans declared that they’d had enough with 2016.

On social media, they railed against the year’s bad news as they grieved for Prince, the latest music legend to die this year. Their messages ranged from wheedling to angry and were tagged “Dear 2016,” (https://twitter.com/search?q=Dear%202016&src=typd) a phrase that trended on Twitter by Thursday afternoon.

Many commenters simply castigated the year, and one made the point that Denise Matthews, the singer, model and actress known as Vanity (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/17/arts/music/denise-matthews-pop-singer-vanity-prince.html)who toured with Prince in the 1980s, also died recently.

UndertheWire
05-09-2016, 08:15 AM
Back in January, a music blogger chose to remember Glenn through "The One You Love". Here's the start and the end (and a link if you want to read the middle).

In reaction to the shocking death (http://somethingelsereviews.com/2016/01/18/glenn-frey/) of Glenn Frey, co-founder of the Eagles, most tributes have focused solely on his band. It is easy to remember Frey for his contributions to one of the 1970s’ biggest groups, writing and singing hits such as “Peaceful Easy Feeling,” “Take It Easy,” and “New Kid in Town.” However, few articles and news reports have mentioned his highly successful ’80s-era solo career, starting with his 1982 debut No Fun Aloud and concluding with 1988’s Soul Searchin’.

He continued releasing solo projects in the 1990s, but none spawned the hits like the previous decade’s efforts. Newly split from the Eagles, Glenn Frey immediately created another persona on No Fun Aloud — a smooth, soul-tinged crooner singing romantic lyrics. The single “The One You Love” announced this new phase of Frey’s career, and the ballad still works courtesy of Frey’s earnest vocals as well as Ernie Watts and Jim Horn’s sensual tenor saxophones.

By the mid-1990s, Frey reunited with the Eagles on their hugely successful “Hell Freezes Over” tour. He recorded only a few more solo albums, the last being After Hours in 2012. While his solo career may not equal the Eagles in terms of sales and influence, Glenn Frey’s 1980s work deserves more attention for its catchiness and change in artistic direction.

“The One You Love” exemplifies Frey’s ability to forge his own path after leaving such an iconic band. Instead of repeating their country-rock sound, he reverted to his Detroit roots and created his own blend of rock, pop and soul. His impressive post-Eagles reinvention and creative rejuvenation should not be overlooked.http://somethingelsereviews.com/2016/01/21/glenn-frey-the-one-you-love/

Thank you, Kit, for being one of the rare people to give credit to Glenn's solo work and to recognise he chose to do something different rather than take the safer path of recording Eagle-like material. I know there are some who see this change as confirmation that it was Henley and Felder who provided the musical direction for the last couple of albums but I see it more as Glenn breaking free and doing what he wanted.

buffyfan145
05-09-2016, 09:49 AM
That is nice to see someone talk more about Glenn's solo work. Thanks for posting that UTW. :D

sodascouts
05-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Agreed. Thanks UTW!

AlreadyGone95
05-09-2016, 11:49 AM
I'm glad to see someone talk about his solo career, and not focus on YBTTC or THIO. Thanks for posting the article, UTW!

JanetteG
05-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Hello again everyone. I've been moving house and have been a bit out of touch but was happy to see all the lovely photos that you have been posting. And to hear about the bittersweet journey to Detroit. This question should perhaps have been in a separate thread but I hope it is relevant to the 'remembering' theme:
There's a BBC page dedicated to Glenn. It is not very interesting and a note on the page says that all the info was drawn from wikipedia. In the opening sentence, describing Glenn's many talents, it says that he was also a 'painter'. I had never heard about this before and am wondering if it is a mistake. I know there is quite a tradition of 'painting singers' :Joni, Tony Bennett, Pavarotti but I did not know that GF was part of this tradition. Can anyone confirm my suspicion that his is an error? If not, I'd love to hear about this hidden talent!

Freypower
05-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Hello again everyone. I've been moving house and have been a bit out of touch but was happy to see all the lovely photos that you have been posting. And to hear about the bittersweet journey to Detroit. This question should perhaps have been in a separate thread but I hope it is relevant to the 'remembering' theme:
There's a BBC page dedicated to Glenn. It is not very interesting and a note on the page says that all the info was drawn from wikipedia. In the opening sentence, describing Glenn's many talents, it says that he was also a 'painter'. I had never heard about this before and am wondering if it is a mistake. I know there is quite a tradition of 'painting singers' :Joni, Tony Bennett, Pavarotti but I did not know that GF was part of this tradition. Can anyone confirm my suspicion that his is an error? If not, I'd love to hear about this hidden talent!

I have never heard anything about him being a painter.

Brooke
05-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Janette, now that you mention it, I have read that somewhere, too. I can't remember where it was though.....and that was all that was said about it. It just kind of went over my head at the time.

UndertheWire
05-12-2016, 09:43 AM
I'm sure I've read that he collected art, possibly starting with the Boyd Elder sculpture that's on the OotN cover, but, no doubt, nurtured by his first wife who had a gallery in Aspen during their marriage.

sodascouts
05-12-2016, 10:08 AM
I don't recall hearing that but I have a bad memory.

Still, Wikipedia is user-edited and full of errors. If we can't get secondary confirmation unrelated to Wikipedia, I think we should take it with a grain of salt.

GlennLover
05-12-2016, 10:26 AM
I had wondered about that too, so when I heard an interviewer ask Glenn what he did outside of music I took note of his answer. I distinctly recall hearing him say "I don't paint".

Glennhoney
05-12-2016, 01:03 PM
I had wondered about that too, so when I heard an interviewer ask Glenn what he did outside of music I took note of his answer. I distinctly recall hearing him say "I don't paint".
..well there you go...mystery solved..

UndertheWire
05-12-2016, 06:10 PM
I was feeling a bit grumpy that we've yet to hear much from Glenn's band mates* but instead I'm going to be thankful for those of his friends who took the time to share their feelings with us.

Thank you to Jack Tempchin for keeping up the good work by regularly making facebook posts about Glenn and the Eagles and for continuing to mention Glenn in interviews.

Thank you to John David Souther for those simple, heartbreaking comments about your "Little Brother" and memories of the wild, early days of Longbranch Pennywhistle.

Most of all, thank you to Bob Seger for coming out so strongly at the start so that no one was left in any doubt that Glenn was the leader of the band.

* Billboard reports that Joe is planning on having a tribute segment for the Detroit date of his tour. link (http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7370305/joe-walsh-on-touring-with-bad-company-paying-tribute-to-glenn-frey)

JanetteG
05-12-2016, 06:57 PM
Re the "painter" question: thanks everyone for confirming what I thought. I was having a hard time imagining Glenn in front of a canvas. As for the rest of the band and UTW's post that "Joe is planning on having a tribute segment for the Detroit date of his tour," I would have thought it was a given that on any tour the others now do, there would be a mention of their colleague and 'brother' of 40 years. There does seem to be a bit too much silence and one can only hope that a proper tribute that includes the fans is in the pipeline.

AlreadyGone95
05-12-2016, 07:45 PM
I was feeling a bit grumpy that we've yet to hear much from Glenn's band mates* but instead I'm going to be thankful for those of his friends who took the time to share their feelings with us.

Thank you to Jack Tempchin for keeping up the good work by regularly making facebook posts about Glenn and the Eagles and for continuing to mention Glenn in interviews.

Thank you to John David Souther for those simple, heartbreaking comments about your "Little Brother" and memories of the wild, early days of Longbranch Pennywhistle.

Most of all, thank you to Bob Seger for coming out so strongly at the start so that no one was left in any doubt that Glenn was the leader of the band.

* Billboard reports that Joe is planning on having a tribute segment for the Detroit date of his tour. link (http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7370305/joe-walsh-on-touring-with-bad-company-paying-tribute-to-glenn-frey)

Hear, hear! :applause:

I also can't picture Glenn painting.

buffyfan145
05-12-2016, 07:52 PM
I love Joe is going to do that!!! :D On other note Joe also confirmed in the article he's writing a memoir so will be interesting to read his POV and I'm sure there will be lots of stories of Glenn in it too.

FWIW
05-12-2016, 09:42 PM
I get it that Glenn is from Detroit, but Glenn has fans worldwide. IMO, Joe should include the tribute in all of his shows. I hope he does.

Freypower
05-12-2016, 10:48 PM
I get it that Glenn is from Detroit, but Glenn has fans worldwide. IMO, Joe should include the tribute in all of his shows. I hope he does.

He probably thinks only Detroit is appropriate.

I agree that we should be thankful to those who have made an effort to keep Glenn in people's thoughts.

buffyfan145
05-14-2016, 04:02 PM
Just found out Dierks Bentley is doing a tribute to Glenn at his concerts. His tour started last night and he brought out his two opening acts Cam and Randy Houser and they all sang "Take it Easy". :) I know I've heard Dierks and so many others talk about how Glenn and the Eagles were such a huge influence to them and nice to see they did this. Plus, I've been a fan of Dierks for about 13 years now and I love Cam too, so this was nice to see for me too.

UndertheWire
05-17-2016, 05:22 AM
This more a critique of Glenn's attitude and work ethic and how classical musicians should learn from it, than about the man himself.

A sample:

The Eagles’ ascendence to mythic popularity is no accident. In Alison Ellison’s riveting 2013 documentary, History of the Eagles (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Eagles)), Frey’s clarity of purpose hammers the viewer over and over: The audience comes first, comes only. Frey views his position in the band as fluid, not ego based — searching to find his highest and best use. Realizing the magic of Henley’s voice, he turned over more of the lead vocals. Frey took himself off of lead guitar when he brought in the guitar phenom Don (Fingers) Felder.

http://www.orartswatch.org/glenn-freys-ghost/

emilym
05-18-2016, 03:20 PM
He is NOT at Wilhelm's in Portland OR - called and chatted with the folks there and since I have relatives who are located there, they were kind enough to check on this for me. The Wilhelm's website posts Memorials for some celebrities - currently Prince's memorial page can be seen there as well and we know he is in Minnesota.

Witchy Woman
05-18-2016, 11:02 PM
While I understand that we want to know how the guys are feeling, grieving is an extremely personal thing, and it's only fair and right to let them share their feelings when they are ready, if they choose to at all. To be fair, they really don't owe anyone an explanation anyway.

secret squirrel
05-19-2016, 11:16 AM
My response to losing Glenn, then reading all the negative press about the Eagles. He was one of a kind.

http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/eagles-glenn-frey-beyond-cool-band-for.html

SS
xx

JanetteG
05-19-2016, 11:49 AM
My response to losing Glenn, then reading all the negative press about the Eagles. He was one of a kind.

http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/eagles-glenn-frey-beyond-cool-band-for.html

SS
xx

What a great article S.S . Funny and perceptive. Yes, when does the Dude cease to be cool? And how right you are about Glenn Frey's sex appeal. As I often say "he was a man's man who loved women." They don't make 'em like that any more. I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as you about the other bands. As I said in my tribute to Glenn, my background has been in classical music and opera but The Eagles are a band for all time. Like you, I still feel tearful on hearing certain songs. They held so much of our past, of our young lives in their music. I will always be grateful I lived through their era. And it was theirs - they owned the 70s in the US.

UndertheWire
05-19-2016, 01:44 PM
Joe:

Glenn was such a great musician, but if there's anything I remember most about him, it's his friendship. He helped me in a lot of ways. He helped me sing better, but he also helped me with matters pertaining to how to live. I just miss Glenn.
Rolling STone (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/joe-walsh-my-life-in-15-songs-20160519/the-eagles-life-in-the-fast-lane-1976-20160519)

GlennLover
05-19-2016, 09:34 PM
I don't know if this has been posted anywhere yet. If you scroll down a bit there is a short audio clip of Joe commenting on how "they" are doing now in regards to dealing with Glenn's death.

http://wcsx.com/2016/05/18/joe-walsh-still-not-glenn/

Glennhoney
05-20-2016, 07:41 AM
I don't know if this has been posted anywhere yet. If you scroll down a bit there is a short audio clip of Joe commenting on how "they" are doing now in regards to dealing with Glenn's death.

http://wcsx.com/2016/05/18/joe-walsh-still-not-glenn/
..so so sad....

Prettymaid
05-20-2016, 07:41 AM
That sounds like a very honest response to how they're doing. I feel for them. Although they had more of a "heads up" to Glenn's death than we did, you can tell it's still very raw for them. As a fan, while I'd like to read or hear more about their individual thoughts on Glenn's death, I appreciate that they do not want to force anything. Maybe, in time, as Joe said, they will revisit it. But for now, they all have my respect in regards to how they are handling things.

FWIW
05-20-2016, 10:59 AM
PM and others, thanks for your words of wisdom. Sometimes I let my own desire to see/read more tributes to Glenn cloud my judgement.

UndertheWire
05-20-2016, 12:11 PM
I'm guitly of wanting "more, more" but I'm satisified with brief comments, at least for while.

I don't think this has been posted previously. It's nothing that new but it's relateable. From Grand Junction, Colorado:

Triple Played: Celebrating artists’ lives after they’re gone

By Rock Cesario (http://www.gjsentinel.com/staff/detail/52/)
Friday, January 29, 2016
In the past few weeks we have had to say good-bye to David Bowie and Glenn Frey.
That wasn’t an easy thing for their fans to do.
I am a big fan of both men, each for different reasons, and their deaths hit me very hard. This is due in part to my adoration for the men and their music. It is also because there was no prior news of either of them being sick, and both were not yet in their 70s. Keeping something like that private in this day and age of information is not an easy task.

Interest in artists’ work always increases exponentially after their passing, kind of like Church attendance during the holidays. Our one-stop is sold out of almost every recorded CD and DVD featuring Bowie or Frey. That also happened with Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jerry Garcia and others.

For those who were lifelong fans who collected and celebrated these artists’ music, it isn’t a problem because they already have what they want.

For the fans who celebrate artists’ lives and careers after the fact or those who want more, there are many ways to access their music. YouTube and Spotify have all of these artists’ mainstream music as well as live shots or recordings that will surprise even the most ardent fan. The history of the Eagles plays differently to me now that Frey is gone.

David Bowie was a stylist and a visionary, who went against the grain from the start. He also was a rocker whose far-reaching influence will continue to be felt for years. Without him there would be no Madonna, Culture Club, Nirvana or Lady Gaga, among others.

Just as rock ‘n’ roll was mellowing out in the early ‘70s, Bowie shocked everyone with his music and clothes. He became a big part of my music after I got out of high school. I loved Bowie, but I lived and breathed the Eagles.

I bought the Eagles first album in when it came out in 1972, and was immediately drawn to the Frey’s songs first. “Take It Easy,” “Peaceful Easy Feeling,” “Most of Us Are Sad,” “Earlybird,” “Chug All Night” and “Nightingale.” His smooth laid-back voice fit the country rock sound of most of those songs.

I bought “Desperado” when it came out in 1973, and immediately fell in love with the record. Frey sang lead on “Twenty-One,” “Tequila Sunrise,” “Outlaw Man” and “Out Of Control.”

Todd Crone and I went to Mazzuca’s to buy the Eagles’ third record, “On The Border,” and went to his parents’ house to immediately listen to it.
At first, we didn’t like it because we thought it rocked too much. In the “History of the Eagles” special on Showtime, Frey said that is exactly what they were trying to do. It was why they added Don Felder to the band at that point.
Frey said, “I’m from Detroit. I’m a rocker.”

I would have to say that nowadays “On The Border” is my favorite Eagles record, and I like their first three better than the others.

From 1972 until 1980, I listened to the Eagles more than any other band and maybe all the others put together. Frey was a big reason for that.
“On the day that I die, I just might scream. If I’m alive in the morning. I’ll be alive in a dream.”
— Glenn Frey” from “Chug All Night” on “Eagles,” 1972.http://www.gjsentinel.com/entertainment/articles/celebrating-artists-lives-after-theyre-gone

Jonny Come Lately
05-20-2016, 05:18 PM
Thanks for posting that article, I really enjoyed reading it. There were a few factual errors though - Glenn didn't sing lead on Twenty-One, yet he doesn't mention Doolin-Dalton, which he does sing on - but these didn't detract from the piece too much. I thought it was especially interesting to read that the author and his friend initially didn't get on quite as well with On The Border as they did with the first two albums, but that it later grew on them. The more I listen, the more I think that there was a marked overall stylistic change towards more rock and less country on OTB compared to its predecessors, even on the songs where it was just the original four band members, so this struck a bit of a chord with me even though I actually heard OTB before listening to the first two albums.

Freypower
05-20-2016, 07:53 PM
Also Earlybird & Nightingale were not sung by Glenn. He wrote MOUAS but doesn't sing it.

The writer means well no doubt but he doesn't actually know much about Glenn's work. If he listened to the Eagles so much he should have mentioned some of Glenn's most famous songs which came after On The Border.

sodascouts
05-26-2016, 11:21 AM
Dreamer, HoustonBaby and I went to Joshua Tree a couple days ago and found the spot where they did the photoshoot for the Eagles LP. We laid this there:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/la2016/IMG_5542.jpg

"You'll always be in our hearts" indeed.

AlreadyGone95
05-26-2016, 11:44 AM
That's a beautiful tribute, Soda.

FWIW
05-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Oh wow! What a very special tribute Soda. Was it easy to find the spot of the photo shoot?

My daughter just went to Joshua Tree a few weeks ago and said she wants to go back. I might have to tag along!

Brooke
05-26-2016, 01:48 PM
Soda, dreamer, and HB, how awesome! I live vicariously through you and so wish I could do something like that!

Was the place marked somehow or how did you find it?

SoaringRockyMountainWay
05-26-2016, 03:15 PM
That's so cool, soda! I would love to go there someday.

sodascouts
05-26-2016, 03:43 PM
It was easier to find than you'd think because of Gram Parsons.

HB remembered that Bernie had said the photo shoot was done at a place all the stoners went to. Gram Parsons had said that he often went to Cap Rock and wanted his ashes spread there - which his friends tried unsuccessfully to do.

It made sense that Bernie and Gram were both talking about the same spot. We went to Cap Rock and circled around it but didn't see anything that looked like the photos... until we got to the spot where Gram's friends had tried to spread his ashes. It turns out that it was the same area! In fact, our tribute is near tributes Gram fans had laid out. Honestly, that's what gave us the idea.

So, if you're at Joshua Tree, go to Cap Rock and look for the Gram tributes. You'll recognize these stones nearby because they make a bit of an enclave:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesinsert1.jpg

Now, I suppose we could be wrong, but it sure looked like the same place to us.

Glennhoney
05-26-2016, 03:55 PM
..you gals are amazing...thank you for doing that...

buffyfan145
05-26-2016, 04:02 PM
Aww, that's wonderful you all did that!!! :D Would love to one day go there too whenever I finally make it out to California.

UndertheWire
05-26-2016, 04:08 PM
Did you camp out over night, chewing on peyote?

sodascouts
05-26-2016, 04:33 PM
You know, the night prior we went to Dan Tana's by the Troubadour for dinner, and I joked we could just keep driving like they did and get to Joshua Tree in the wee hours of the morning. A 2.5 hour drive in the middle of the night didn't sound too appealing, though!

GlennLover
05-26-2016, 07:20 PM
Wonderful! Very touching tribute!

Houston Baby
05-26-2016, 10:28 PM
I am so glad that we did this. It did bring some amount of closure for me. After we finished creating it, I thought of Glenn & how much joy his music & his life brought to my life. I said a prayer for him, his family & all his fans, shed a few tears and then walked away after one more look at the view the guys would have seen that night. I believe they were right - it is a spiritual, mystical place.

SilverAcidRayne
05-26-2016, 10:38 PM
I adore this. that is beautiful ladies.

I had a customer come in and an eagles song was playing. He was a huge fan and he asked me if I knew of them. I told him yes and he went on to mention Glenn and I had to tell him that I couldn't talk about it without getting emotional. He says they were the best band in the world.

LuvTim
05-26-2016, 11:13 PM
I love the desert tribute to Glenn. That was a beautiful gesture of love. :heart:

Glennsallnighter
05-27-2016, 05:44 AM
That is a beautiful tribute to Glenn :ladies: and thank you for doing it on all our behalfs. I will be in the LA area in August and I wiull try (subject to family constraints) to look up this place too. If I gat there I will look out for your tribute! I'm sure you were all very emotional.

Dawn
05-28-2016, 11:08 AM
Really cool!!! Thanks so much for sharing - what an amazing iconic in it's own right tribute to the Eagles.

05-28-2016, 01:42 PM
To be honest, I wasn't really that interested in going to Joshua Tree at first because it's about a 3-hour drive from L.A., but mainly because I figured we had about a one-in-a-gazillion chance in finding the spot where they did the photo shoot. However, I kept thinking about Glenn encouraging a disgruntled Randy at the time who proclaimed "I come from the country, I don't need to go out in the wilderness" - "But, Randy, we're the sons of the desert - we gotta do this". As Soda said, we didn't have much trouble at all. I'm pretty confident we were in the right area by comparing it with the photos and given it's history. And as HB said, it is, indeed, a spiritual and mystical place, and, now, I am very glad we did it. Building the memorial for Glenn was emotional and when we were done, the three of us just stood in silence staring at it for a few minutes, and, then, without saying a word, we all turned together and walked away.

Prettymaid
05-28-2016, 07:31 PM
I'm getting emotional just reading about it. Big hugs to the three of you.

buffyfan145
05-28-2016, 09:42 PM
I friends with a couple Mets fans and they told me knowing how huge of a fan I am of Glenn that they used his song "You Belong to the City" again as the team honored the upcoming 30th anniversary of the New York Mets winning the World Series in 1986 before today's game. I guess the team used to use this song during that series and there was a video created to that song with highlights of the game for their 10th anniversary in 1996. But this time they also paid tribute to Glenn and how this song became part of Mets. I had no idea about that and so glad my friends who are at the game told me.

secret squirrel
05-30-2016, 12:10 PM
Dreamer, HoustonBaby and I went to Joshua Tree a couple days ago and found the spot where they did the photoshoot for the Eagles LP. We laid this there:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/la2016/IMG_5542.jpg

"You'll always be in our hearts" indeed.

Lovely. Hope he can see it.

SS
xx

05-30-2016, 10:10 PM
I've been meaning to post this here for some time now, but kept forgetting. A band called The Meetles posted this on their Facebook page on March 5th. Apparently Taylor was at one of their shows ...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/kay8342/Taylors%20thank%20you%20note_zps42tdaqem.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/kay8342/media/Taylors%20thank%20you%20note_zps42tdaqem.jpg.html)

https://www.facebook.com/meetles/?fref=photo

It is very touching that she would do this so soon after losing her Dad.

Glennsallnighter
05-31-2016, 09:40 AM
I saw that last March and also meant to post it, a lovely simple sweet comment from Taylor. Thanks for posting it Dreamer

buffyfan145
05-31-2016, 10:18 AM
Thanks Dreamer for posting that. That is a lovely message from her.

sodascouts
05-31-2016, 09:40 PM
Thanks for posting that, Dreamer. His family continues to be in my prayers.

UndertheWire
06-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Here's another David Spero radio interview. He talks about Glenn being a regular guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQpcTc6hAEc

AlreadyGone95
06-19-2016, 06:08 PM
Jimmy Buffett honored Glenn by playing Take It Easy when he played in Detroit last night (June 18th)

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7408955/jimmy-buffett-honors-eagles-glenn-frey-hockey-icon-gordie-howe-in-detroit

sodascouts
06-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the links.

UndertheWire
06-27-2016, 11:54 AM
This is a golf post from January. The main post is essentially a reposting of something we already have, but the comments include a few memories from people who came across Glenn while playing golf. In short, he remembered names and was nice.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2016/1/25/glenn-frey-the-golfer.html

sodascouts
06-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Thanks for that, UTW.

UndertheWire
07-01-2016, 12:11 PM
I'm not exactly what a "cloudmix" is. This has a couple of people talking about Glenn's career (with lots of errors - you could make it a drinking game) but an interesting track list.
http://nodepression.com/podcast/sunday-ramble-y3-4-look-career-glenn-frey-wspecial-guest-carol-bernotas

UndertheWire
07-06-2016, 12:21 PM
I'm looking for an interview I read several months ago in which someone spoke about being the opening act for Glenn's Strange Weather tour. If anyone has it saved, please share.

Meanwhile, this came out of my search. It may already have been posted.

Newcastle country rocker Morgan Evans, a lifelong Eagles fan, was the support act for Frey’s Civic Theatre show.
“I learnt to play guitar out of an Eagles songbook, for real,” Evans says.
“The first song I ever jammed on with my drummer mate, at age 13, was Take It Easy, for real.
“And 15 years later I got to open for Glenn Frey at my favourite venue in my home town, the Civic Theatre - it was unbelievable.
“I still remember the feeling of walking out on stage, plugging my guitar in and looking down at his setlist.
“It was a full house, 1500 people or so, I’d been introduced and the room was silent.
“It was a big moment for me but all I could think about was the list of songs at my feet and the fact that this bloke had written them all.
“The first song on the list was Peaceful Easy Feeling, it was the second song I ever learnt to play and a song I played at every bar gig I ever did.”
Three songs into his 45-minute set, Evans realised he was being watched by someone in the wings of the stage.
“I glanced over to the side of stage and saw Glenn watching my set,” he recalls.
“He stood there the whole time.
“After the show I walked over to him and introduced myself and thanked him for having me on the show.
“He replied with ‘Hey, I’m Glenn Frey, that was a really great show, thank you’.
“We didn’t hang for long, he had meet and greet commitments to fulfil before his own show, but I’ll never forget that.
“It was 'one of those nights'.
“He was softly spoken, polite, a true gentleman and in the little time we spent together it was easy to tell that the guy loved music.
“And the world sure loved his.”
http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story/3678759/glenn-freys-loss-felt-by-two-hunter-songwriters-photos/

UndertheWire
07-06-2016, 06:09 PM
I don't think this has been posted before:

'History of the Eagles' Producer Alex Gibney Pens Glenn Frey Tribute: "He Was Brash and Blunt. I Liked That"

2:14 PM PST 1/19/2016 by Alex Gibney

Gibney recalls how the Eagles co-founder and L.A. music legend, who died Jan. 18 at age 67, came up with the perfect line when helping Jackson Browne write lyrics to 'Take It Easy.' I first met Glenn Frey when we initially talked about doing what became the film The History of the Eagles. I got on with him right away because he was forthright. He may have pissed off some people in his time, but it was often because he was brash and blunt. I liked that.
He was from Detroit, which was a blessing because it was a town of musical crosscurrents. He started in a band called The Subterraneans and ended up in the rock 'n' roll penthouse.
What to say about his legacy? He was part of one of the great rock 'n' roll stories — a duo (with Don Henley) in Linda Ronstadt's backup band that ends up putting together a group that records the best-selling album of the 20th century.

(http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/glenn-frey-dead-eagles-guitarist-856895)
What I remember most was his work ethic. When it comes to music stories, the Amadeus myth is the biggest con. It suggests that some people are just born to genius. Bullshit. Charlie Parker didn’t just wake up one day, start to blow and watch his fingers play "Ornithology." He practiced. I remember Glenn talking to me about songwriting. He started out singing covers, and Bob Seger told him he had to start writing songs.
"But what if they’re bad?" asked Glenn. "Don’t worry," said Seger, "They will be. But they will get better."
When Glenn moved to L.A., he lived upstairs from Jackson Browne. He used to listen to him write songs on the piano, note by note, phrase by phrase, punctuated only by the occasional whistle of the tea kettle.
"Doctor, my eyes. Tell me what you see …"
Then back to work.
"I got it," Glenn told me. "It wasn’t divine inspiration. It was hard work. Elbow grease."
"Elbow grease." That always sounded to me like a term from the Motor City.
It turns out English poet Andrew Marvell — no auto mechanic — used it long before it got to Detroit. "Two or three brawny Fellows in a Corner, with meer Ink and Elbow-grease, do more Harm than an Hundred systematical Divines with their sweaty Preaching." When Marvell said "harm," he meant influence.
When Jackson Browne got stuck in writing "Take It Easy" on what to say after "Standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona," he turned to Glenn Frey, who came up with, "It’s a girl, my lord, in a flatbed Ford …" Browne liked that — a rock haiku: "girl, lord, Ford …" Elbow grease. Hard work. And influence. Glenn Frey.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/history-eagles-producer-alex-gibney-857258

UndertheWire
07-07-2016, 08:37 AM
I'm still on that hunt, without success but here are a couple of golf memories that have shown up. One is an extract from the Aspen Times but when I tried to find the original, I found it was no longer available nor were the other letters about Glenn.

Glenn Frey rocked. On stage and on the golf course.
His music still provides an indelible, enduring soundtrack for generations of us.
But his impact on a generation of young golfers in Aspen left an even more personal, lasting impression.
“Glenn (Frey) gets all the credit,” said Doug Rohrbaugh, the former director of Aspen Junior Golf and now the head pro at Ironbridge Golf Club near Glenwood Springs. “It was the best thing for Aspen Junior Golf. He got heavily involved at a time when we needed it.”
Rohrbaugh, one of Colorado’s most decorated PGA club pros, recalled that Aspen Junior Golf was headed for a major transition when race driver Danny Sullivan moved out of town and ended his sponsorship of a benefit golf tournament for Aspen Junior Golf, an event that set the stage with PGA pros like Greg Norman and a mix of celebrities — local and beyond.

A member of the Aspen Junior Golf board knew Frey, and more importantly, knew of his incredible passion for golf.
With some quick networking, Glenn Frey stepped in to sponsor a benefit golf tournament, not only for Aspen Junior Golf, but for his own local charity, the Aspen Grassroots Experience.
“Golf Kids Hosted by Glenn Frey” was launched with a long and successful run of raising money for two of the Frey family’s Aspen favorites.
And when he signed on, according to Rohrbaugh, he was as relentless as a rock promoter on tour.
“This was a huge deal for him. He had a personal interest,” Rohrbaugh said. “And Cindy, too. Cindy (Frey’s wife) was just as much a part of it. They were always there and every bit involved.”
Simply, Frey recruited stars and golfers with big checkbooks.
“Glenn gets all the credit for getting Tiger Woods to come to Aspen,” Rohrbaugh said of Woods’ still-talked-about golf rounds at the Aspen Junior Golf benefit.
At the height of his golfing glory, Tiger Woods made a pair of visits to Aspen to fulfill a promise he had made to Glenn Frey.
“Tiger was in his prime then. That was a major coup,” Rohrbaugh said. “Everyone wanted a piece of him. But for us, it was huge.”
Woods’ presence alone raised $400,000 in two years for the charities as benefactors bid to play a round with Tiger Woods in Aspen.
Others, too.
http://www.ritson-sole.com/blog/glenn-frey-gifted-golf-promoter-and-oh-musician-in-a-band/

The second is about Pebble Beach 2002. Maybe it should go elsewhere, but it seems strange to post one here and one somewhere else.

From the archive: Glenn Frey at the 2002 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
By Dennis Taylor (http://www.montereyherald.com/article/NF/20160118/NEWS/160119780#author1), Monterey Herald
Posted: 01/18/16, 3:39 PM PST | Updated: on 01/18/2016
0 Comments (http://www.montereyherald.com/article/NF/20160118/NEWS/160119780#disqus_thread)

Pebble Beach >> Neurologically speaking, Glenn Frey says there’s no comparison between rock ‘n’ roll and golf. Put him on a stage, in a sold-out stadium, with an open microphone, and 70,000 people awaiting his first sound, and he’s as cool as can be.
“The difference is, I know what’s going to happen in that situation,” Frey said. “Put a guitar in my hands and I’m going to shoot a 66. I make a whole lot of birdies when I’m onstage.
“This, on the other hand ... this is infinitely more difficult.”
Those who tried to compete this week with Frey at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am will argue that Frey , the former lead singer for the Eagles, can riff and scat with a golf club, too. For the third time since 1997, Frey and pro partner Craig Stadler made a run at the team championship. For the second time since ‘99, they settled for second place.

Not bad, considering Frey carries a 17 handicap, second highest in the field.
“A 17?” fellow rocker Alice Cooper wailed after Saturday’s round, during which Frey helped Stadler by seven strokes for a net-66 team score. “I play with Glenn , and he’s got the best short game out here. Either the 1 is wrong, or the 7 is wrong, but one of those numbers shouldn’t be there.”
Nonsense, says Frey .
“I’m a real 17. I’ll make six pars, six bogeys and six doubles out there,” he said. “Guys like me just sort of have to wait for the good holes. It’s not unlike songwriting: If you try too hard, you’re going to get all cramped up. Things have to just flow.”

Frey ‘s game was flowing throughout the first three days of competition, when he and Stadler combined for a net 192 — a whopping 24 strokes under par. Entering Sunday’s final round, only Brian Claar and Randall Mays (a 10 handicap) had done better at 27 under.
But Frey and Stadler, who teed off almost 2 hours earlier than the Claar-Mays team, had caught their rivals by the 11th hole, and they were just warming up.
On No. 11, Frey got up-and-down from the sand for a net birdie. On 12, Stadler rolled in a tricky four-footer for another bird. On 13, Stadler stuck his second shot two feet from the pin, and suddenly they were at minus-31 — leading the tournament by a stroke.

“I was scoreboard watching,” Frey admitted. “I had my eye on the board all day, watching to see where Claar and Mays were.”
After their three-hole charge, Frey ‘s game took a bit of a dive and Stadler couldn’t help. They recorded four consecutive pars, then picked up their final birdie when Stadler, hitting into the wind, reached the 18th green with a driver and a 3-wood, then two-putted.
“I think it’s really hard, especially for the amateurs, to stay focused for four days,” Frey said. “It’s not easy letting go of the bad shots, and accepting that you’re going to hit a few bad ones.”

Frey ‘s focus went south down the stretch. He found the sand on 14, 15 and 17, hit a bad third shot on 16, and skulled a 40-yarder on his second shot on 18, a swing that earned him a hug from his pro.
“ Glenn hung in there. He held my butt up today, that’s for sure,” Stadler said. “He doesn’t hit the ball far enough for this course, especially in the wind, but he gets it up and down, makes some difficult putts and takes care of me out there.”
For Frey and his partner, second place was a frustration. Three years ago, when the final round was rained out, they tied with two other teams for the Pro-Am lead at minus-22, but lost the title on a tiebreaker.

“But, hey, we had a great tournament,” Frey said. “There were about 160 guys who wished they were me when I was standing in that 18th tee box, in second place, playing on Sunday, in a group with three Tour pros. What could be better than that?”
Editor’s note: Glenn Frey went on to win the inaugural Jack Lemmon Award in 2002, given to the amateur who helped his pro the most. Frey aided Craig Stadler 31 shots over 72 holes. Frey and Stadler finished only one stroke behind Brian Claar and amateur Randall Mays, a communications executive.
http://www.montereyherald.com/article/NF/20160118/NEWS/160119780

UndertheWire
07-07-2016, 11:55 AM
Found it!

Joe Henry (https://www.facebook.com/JoeHenryLovesYouMadly/)

Like This Page (https://www.facebook.com/JoeHenryLovesYouMadly/photos/a.253368951359750.78147.112759602087353/1202586949771274/?type=3&theater#) · January 20 (https://www.facebook.com/JoeHenryLovesYouMadly/photos/a.253368951359750.78147.112759602087353/1202586949771274/?type=3&permPage=1) · Edited (https://www.facebook.com/JoeHenryLovesYouMadly/photos/a.253368951359750.78147.112759602087353/1202586949771274/?type=3&theater#) ·

early into my professional life, in 1992, i opened a tour for glenn frey. he invited me personally via our shared booking agency, though we had never met and his music was a foreign language to me.

i accepted, as it was the work in front of me to do; and it was a grueling tour for both of us: i had a band ill-suited to my intentions, and stood before audiences mystified by my presence. we were three to a motel room (at least once, three in a double bed), the drives brutal, and i was hemorrhaging money for the privilege; my faith in what i was doing slipping away from me like the muddy banks of a raging river.

for his part --ever-loyal to a big band and a bloated crew-- glenn found himself down-sizing shows from sheds to bars --sometimes on the very day of the show-- in response to low ticket sales and tepid interest in anything he did outside of the auspices of his extravagantly famous band.

yet he pushed on with kindness toward me. glenn watched nearly every set of mine from the wings, applauding sweetly as i slunk off the stage and past him, hungry for air and solitude.

one night in philly, when the evening's performance had been quickly moved from a 3,000-seat amphitheatre to a 300-seat venue in town, i stood alone in the wings stage-right, killing time, finishing a beer and waiting for glenn to begin his show before crawling into the van to get a jump on the night's wicked drive ahead. he usually entered from the opposite side; but suddenly there he was next to me in the dark. glenn looked out as i did upon a theatre still not half full, and i wasn't sure which of us might be more embarrassed by the prospects.

but glenn just threw an easy arm around my stooped shoulders, pulled leisurely on a fading cigarette, and said, "joe: five thousand or fifty...what do we care? we play for who comes."

and then he walked straight out into the light, arms raised and smiling, as if he really was beyond counting.https://www.facebook.com/JoeHenryLovesYouMadly/photos/a.253368951359750.78147.112759602087353/1202586949771274/?type=3&theater

Glenn played at The Theatre of Living Arts (capacity 800) on September 22 1992.

Brooke
07-07-2016, 04:24 PM
UtW, thanks for posting these!

And once again I realize what a truly nice person Glenn was. For all the crap that some people have said about Glenn, in the end, those that knew him loved him and thought well of him.

Quote:

“He was softly spoken, polite, a true gentleman and in the little time we spent together it was easy to tell that the guy loved music.

Yes they did.

AlreadyGone95
07-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Thanks for finding and posting those articles, UtW!

As a metal fan, I think that I'll like this new ep that will honor Glenn, Lemmy, and David Bowie.
http://www.antimusic.com/news/16/July/07Metal_Allegiance_Tribute_Lemmy,_Bowie,_Glenn_Fre y_On_New_EP.shtml

LuvTim
07-07-2016, 05:43 PM
UtW, thanks for posting these!

And once again I realize what a truly nice person Glenn was. For all the crap that some people have said about Glenn, in the end, those that knew him loved him and thought well of him.

Quote:

Yes they did.

Agreed, Brooke. :heart:

FreyFollower
07-07-2016, 08:48 PM
Found it!

https://www.facebook.com/JoeHenryLovesYouMadly/photos/a.253368951359750.78147.112759602087353/1202586949771274/?type=3&theater

Glenn played at The Theatre of Living Arts (capacity 800) on September 22 1992.

Love this. Glenn was a true Artist; and a man of integrity, dignity, and genuine class. But most of all, a beautiful soul.

buffyfan145
07-07-2016, 09:17 PM
Totally agree with you too Brooke and thanks UTW for the all the articles. :) I saw that too AG and found that interesting. Always really cool to see artists in different genres be fans and inspired by those like Glenn since you wouldn't normally equate the two.

sodascouts
07-08-2016, 01:34 AM
Thanks for these. They're quite a testament to him.

NightMistBlue
07-08-2016, 08:48 AM
Yes, especially the Joe Henry one. It's very telling about someone's character when things aren't going their way and the tickets aren't selling, but Glenn still believed in what he was doing.

UndertheWire
07-14-2016, 01:37 PM
Thomas Sullivan ("Sully") is a writer and a friend of Glenn's. He wrote about Glenn on his Facebook page, but he has also posted a longer piece as well as a little about the "Celebration of the life".

http://www.thomassullivanauthor.com/newsletters/02162016.html

http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/2016/03/15/thomas-sullivan-its-your-world-now/

I think this is the same as the first one but in a nicer format but no photos.
http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/2016/02/19/thomas-sullivan-the-lone-arranger/

You may need to keep the tissues close by.

sodascouts
07-14-2016, 03:03 PM
How lovely. What a wonderful tribute to Glenn.

I was at the show where the pictures were taken (see review here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=899)). It was my "epic journey" to Manhattan Beach Lodge, on my own and defying floods and tornadoes in order to see Glenn!

Thank you for those links, UTW.

UndertheWire
07-14-2016, 05:39 PM
How lovely. What a wonderful tribute to Glenn.

I was at the show where the pictures were taken (see review here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=899)). It was my "epic journey" to Manhattan Beach Lodge, on my own and defying floods and tornadoes in order to see Glenn!

Thank you for those links, UTW.
That's the one where you sheltered under the stage?
The line that made me think of you was "the lengths he would go to NOT offend everyday people and to repay a kindness." Your accounts back this up.

sodascouts
07-14-2016, 11:25 PM
Yes, that's the one!

And yes, he was so very kind. Others can say what they like, but I judge him by what I saw myself, and I saw one of the kindest men I've ever known.

Glennsallnighter
07-18-2016, 11:37 AM
I am just making this suggestion

I don't have to remind anyone here that today marks 6 months since Glenn left us. While the numbing shock has gone and our lives have gone on on the outside we are still feeling grief and pain. Sometimes when we least expect it a song or a memory or an incident triggers it off again. I'm suggesting that some time this evening (I'd suggest the time you heard about it - for me it was 10:11 pm GMT) each one of us just stops and lights a candle or turns on a candle or light app on their phone. Or release a balloon. Or raise a tequila sunrise to him Or whatever you feel is appropriate. Even just stand still. And if you pray, say one for Glenn. It can be a gesture of unity with each other and solidarity with Glenns family and friends and band mates.

GlennLover
07-18-2016, 11:41 AM
Lovely idea, GA. My husband bought the ingredients for tequila sunrises last week. I think that I will have one tonight.

sodascouts
07-18-2016, 12:16 PM
Same here, and I'll light a candle too when I can. I am working and can't do it the exact moment I found out via a text from TimothyBFan at 4:10 pm Central.

AlreadyGone95
07-18-2016, 12:31 PM
I don't remember the exact time my mom called and told me. It was such a shock. It must have been between 6-6:30 pm EST. I'll probably be doing schoolwork during that time, but I'll think of something to do in honor of Glenn.

WS82Classics
07-18-2016, 01:55 PM
So much has happened in 6 months, but nothing much has really changed. It seems so long ago given all else that has happened, both in the world at large and in my own personal life.

I was walking down my hill in the frigid winter air when I got a text from my mother at 5:12 PM EST asking if I'd heard about Glenn Frey. I hadn't, but, knowing he was hospitalized with serious intestinal ailments, it wasn't hard to guess what had happened. I Google searched his name, and the first thing I saw was a death confirmation via NBC Nightly News' Twitter page.

What I'll probably end up doing is putting in a burned CD and playing a song from his solo career(probably the one with "You Belong to the City") when that time comes.

Jonny Come Lately
07-18-2016, 03:33 PM
I was reminded this morning when I saw the date on my computer. I echo what everyone else has said and it is difficult to believe that six months have passed, especially as just twelve months ago he was coming to the end of a long and successful tour. In this time I have been lucky enough to hear Don dedicate Desperado to him. I will never forget going to see Don live, but more importantly I will never forget Glenn.

I went to bed before hearing the news six months ago so I didn't find out until the following morning. I will be listening to My Man in his honour - I've always loved that song but it means even more to me now.

buffyfan145
07-18-2016, 04:01 PM
That is a lovely idea GA and I'll say a prayer for him, his family & friends, and play some music this evening.

sodascouts
07-18-2016, 05:35 PM
I hurried home and I made it just in time. At 4:10:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/GlennsCandles.jpg

I said a prayer also, and shed a few tears. I've been listening to his music all day whenever possible, and thinking about him.

We miss you, Glenn!

Tori
07-18-2016, 05:56 PM
Well, I missed the exact time, but it was 3:59pm Central when I saw that first tweet retweeted onto my feed. Going back into my Twitter archive puts another pit in my stomach. :(

But I had a moment earlier today... I began listening to Eagles tunes for a little while and cried it out to My Man while hugging my dog, so that helped. My HOTE tour shirt was also the first shirt I pulled out of the drawer this morning, so that's a coincidence.

I've been thinking about him all day. Damn it, Roach, I miss you. But your music will always be there. :heart:

Glennsallnighter
07-18-2016, 07:06 PM
I lit a candle and played Desperado. He hasn't been far from my thoughts today.

Freypower
07-18-2016, 07:08 PM
I am just making this suggestion

I don't have to remind anyone here that today marks 6 months since Glenn left us. While the numbing shock has gone and our lives have gone on on the outside we are still feeling grief and pain. Sometimes when we least expect it a song or a memory or an incident triggers it off again. I'm suggesting that some time this evening (I'd suggest the time you heard about it - for me it was 10:11 pm GMT) each one of us just stops and lights a candle or turns on a candle or light app on their phone. Or release a balloon. Or raise a tequila sunrise to him Or whatever you feel is appropriate. Even just stand still. And if you pray, say one for Glenn. It can be a gesture of unity with each other and solidarity with Glenns family and friends and band mates.

Well, it was yesterday for me. I thought about him all day but I'm afraid I did nothing like that. It didn't even occur to me to do so. :grouphug: to those who did.

Although, thinking about it, it's 9.00 am here on the 19th, which is the time I found out about it.

May he rest in peace & I am thinking of his family & friends, and bandmates.

AlreadyGone95
07-18-2016, 08:33 PM
I was busy with schoolwork, but afterwards, I thought of him and said a prayer. I just heard New Kid in Town on the radio, and I got a little teary-eyed. It still hurts almost as much as it did 6 months ago. :(

GlennLover
07-18-2016, 09:01 PM
I have to guess the time I read the news by way of a Google alert. I had just gotten into bed & turned on my iPad to check my emails & The Border (of course). I don't have a very regular bed time & it seems to me that I turned in earlier that usual that night. I think about 10:30 is a good guess.

As I am experiencing an episode of my inner ear disorder I think that I better forgo the tequila sunrise that I mentioned in my earlier post. I think I will listen to the song instead & play some more of Glenn's music, light a candle & pray for his family & those close to him.

07-18-2016, 10:21 PM
I had Glenn on my mind on and off all day today. He was the first thing that popped in my mind when I woke up this morning. I was really busy at work, but every time I had a lull of any kind I thought of him. Then, on my drive home, I put in the Strange Weather CD and listened to my favorite songs since the drive isn't long enough to play the entire thing. When I got home, I sat in my driveway and finished listening to POMPOY. As I took out the CD and was putting it back in it's case, I began tearing up. On one hand, it's hard to believe it's been 6 months and on the other hand, it seem like an eternity.

Glennsallnighter
07-19-2016, 03:23 AM
On one hand, it's hard to believe it's been 6 months and on the other hand, it seem like an eternity.

That's exactly hoe I feel too Dreamer. Sending a big :grouphug:to everyone here right now

L101
07-19-2016, 08:11 AM
I've been really busy yesterday due to a family emergency but I while I was waiting in the ER, I started to think about Glenn and couldn't believe that it was 6 months since his passing - doesn't seem like any time has passed since then but at least his is still in all our thoughts and will be for a long time to come.

ETA: My 90 yo aunt fell and broke her hip but she had a hip replacement operation this morning so hopefully she'll be up and running around again soon

LuvTim
07-19-2016, 09:29 AM
L101, I hope everything works out ok.

I saw Glenn in person for the first time just last July in Little Rock, and yet I feel like I've lost an old friend. I look at the band photos, and there he is, still smiling at us, and it's difficult to realize that he is really gone. I guess that's just how it is. I'm in agreement with those who have reminded us all that Glenn lives on- in our hearts, and through his music.

shunlvswx
07-19-2016, 09:45 AM
I had some songs from Glenn on my Amazon Music app on my car and listen to her solo songs while driving home from work.

I think it will kick again for me when his one year anniversary comes up in January. Plus knowing I'll be seeing Don 3 days before Glenn's anniversary of his death, I definitely will be remembering him.

I think as long as we still listen his music and the Eagles, he will never be forgotten. I will continue to listen to his and the guys music. Most of the music I like are from people who are not together anymore, not making any new music, or dead. I'm not going to stop even though Glenn is not here. I will continue to remember him maybe until I decide to stop listening which is not going to happen anytime soon.

DivineDon
07-19-2016, 11:32 AM
On one hand, it's hard to believe it's been 6 months and on the other hand, it seem like an eternity.

I made the exact same comment on fb yesterday Dreamer. It seems like it's been a lot longer than six months in many ways but it's still a shock.

Glennsallnighter
07-19-2016, 11:56 AM
I've been really busy yesterday due to a family emergency but I while I was waiting in the ER, I started to think about Glenn and couldn't believe that it was 6 months since his passing - doesn't seem like any time has passed since then but at least his is still in all our thoughts and will be for a long time to come.

ETA: My 90 yo aunt fell and broke her hip but she had a hip replacement operation this morning so hopefully she'll be up and running around again soon

Oh I hope she is better L101. Dad had the same done 6 years ago in his 80s and physically never looked back. Saying prayers for your aunt x

UndertheWire
07-20-2016, 09:38 AM
I lit my candle and played a song but it didn't really seem right for me. Then I realised that I probably remember him most days as I continue to play the music, probably moreso than when he was alive. When I'm fed up, my go-to is Glenn singing "Cool Jerk". I play air-drums along with it.

Freypower
07-24-2016, 07:22 PM
http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-01-20/10-songs-to-celebrate-the-genius-of-glenn-frey

So the word 'genius' finally gets a run.

This list isn't necessarily GLENN's best work. Life In The Fast Lane? As for The Heat Is On, show some imagination. :huh:

UndertheWire
09-06-2016, 04:17 AM
Jack Tempchin:

Tempchin said he was amazed at how The Eagles transformed his song into a worldwide hit, and he said he owes it all to his friend Glenn Frey.

“I had two other songs recorded by other groups, but they hadn’t done much commercially,” he said. “The other song I had was ‘Peaceful Easy Feeling’ and The Eagles really liked it and their arraignment is true Glenn Frey and it’s just incredible. He saw so much more from that song and I’m very proud of that song. I remember Glenn had brought the song back after they had recorded it in England. As I heard it, I just knew it was a monster hit and one of the greatest songs of all time.

“That’s the song I get asked about the most. It really touched a chord in people to this day.”

MY FRIEND, GLENN FREY

After The Eagles took a hiatus in 1980, Frey and Tempchin began a decade-plus partnership that produced some of the decade’s most enduring songs.

One of those tunes, “You Belong to the City,” became a No. 2 hit in 1985 and was featured on the television series “Miami Vice” and on it’s soundtrack.

Tempchin remembers that the song was just one of many that came out of their jam sessions and him making up songs on the spot.

“As with almost every other song we wrote together, we were just sitting around and we hit on a groove that we liked and Glenn was great at developing a song idea and I would throw out lyrics and we’d make it up on the spot. I really like that song. It has great instrumentation and that saxophone intro is just beautiful.”

Tempchin said he still misses Frey, who passed away in January, but is proud of the legacy of songs that they made together.

“Glenn and I were friends for 46 years. I knew him for 10 years before we wrote any songs together,” he said. “Our working relationship was very simple. It was just a partnership, so we never had any conflicts. Glenn loved the music so much and his knowledge of music was staggering. It was just a privilege to work with a guy that good.

“I’m going to miss it and miss him very much.”
http://news4sanantonio.com/news/entertainment/legendary-songwriter-jack-tempchin-set-to-give-us-one-more-song

UndertheWire
09-06-2016, 07:02 AM
I'm not sure that everyone will like this one but I've read enough hints in other comments to believe it's fairly accurate. I find it amusing and rather endearing.
http://blog.mediander.com/glenn-frey-was-nice-to-me/

It reminds me of a facebook post I read about Glenn putting on a disguise to go shopping and being shocked to be recognised by a fan - not just because she saw through the disguise but because she was old.

Brooke
09-06-2016, 09:34 AM
Thanks for those, UtW.

You can certainly feel the love Jack Tempchin had for Glenn. :sad:

UndertheWire
09-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Jack certainly shows a lot of gratitude. From some of Glenn's interviews, I think Jack helped ground Glenn by showing how to enjoy making music without all the trappings.

buffyfan145
09-06-2016, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the articles UTW. :D Love reading Jack's comments too.

FWIW
09-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the links UtW. I am always so touched whenever Jack talks about Glenn. It seems like they shared such a great, uncomplicated friendship for so many years. We all need friends like that in our lives.

FWIW
09-09-2016, 06:53 PM
Here are some more comments from Jack Tempchin. I don't think this link was posted earlier.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2016/09/05/overnight-america-podcast-september-5th-2016-jack-tempchin-gerry-beckley/

The segment with Jack starts at ~5:15. Jon Grayson starts by mistakenly saying that Jack co-wrote "Take It Easy." But it gets better :)

09-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Jack is such a sweetheart. I would love to go see him perform sometime.

And as I mentioned in another thread, I've been under the weather this week and haven't been out of the house all weekend, so I've had a lot of time to do a lot of thinking - scary, I know. But, Glenn has especially been on my mind. I found this page on YouTube while searching for something else. Anyway, I don't remember a lot of these tributes being posted here before, so here is a link to a whole page of tributes from various sources that were on television when he died in January. But, they come with a warning - they will probably cause some tears ...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=entertainment+tomight+glenn+f rey+death

GlennLover
09-11-2016, 07:36 PM

And as I mentioned in another thread, I've been under the weather this week and haven't been out of the house all weekend, so I've had a lot of time to do a lot of thinking - scary, I know. But, Glenn has especially been on my mind. I found this page on YouTube while searching for something else. Anyway, I don't remember a lot of these tributes being posted here before, so here is a link to a whole page of tributes from various sources that were on television when he died in January. But, they come with a warning - they will probably cause some tears ...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=entertainment+tomight+glenn+f rey+death

Thanks for those links FWIW & Dreamer. And yes, the tears did flow.

Glennsallnighter
09-12-2016, 06:36 AM

Glenn :heart: has been on my mind too this weekend, I think its because its this weekend 2 years ago that I was at what was to be my last Eagles show with Soda, Dreamer, HB, HH Desperado, Topkat and quite a few other Borderers too

Brooke
09-14-2016, 02:10 PM
As Lyin' Eyes is playing....

I've been thinking it's time to change my av and sig, but I can't do it. I even went and made new ones. Went in to the area to do it. I love the ones I have so much (and I'm really a 70's era lover) I can't change them. I really don't know why, but he looked very much like my current ones at the time..... :sad:

shunlvswx
09-14-2016, 02:21 PM
So I know how you feel, Brooke. I have the guys at the Grammys as my cover picture on facebook. I don't know if I will ever take it down. I've had it up for 7 months. I probably will keep up there for a little while longer. The Eagles are one of my favorite bands. I don't put whomever as my cover picture.

sodascouts
09-14-2016, 06:32 PM
I'm the same way about changing the site banners on GFO and EOC. I feel it's time but I can't bring myself to do it.

Freypower
09-14-2016, 06:47 PM
As Lyin' Eyes is playing....

I've been thinking it's time to change my av and sig, but I can't do it. I even went and made new ones. Went in to the area to do it. I love the ones I have so much (and I'm really a 70's era lover) I can't change them. I really don't know why, but he looked very much like my current ones at the time..... :sad:

I just continue to change them every week like I always did. That was my habit & I saw it as another way of remembering. But it's up to you, Brooke.

Facebook is different, however. I have other interests there which I can highlight & I change the cover photo there reguarly too (although not every week).

AlreadyGone95
09-14-2016, 11:59 PM
I haven't changed my Facebook profile or cover photo since Glenn's passing. I doubt I will until at least one year anniversary. It's part of my tribute to him. On here, I've changed my avatar and signature a few times, but I plan on sticking with what I have. Everyone is different, though.

buffyfan145
09-17-2016, 04:18 PM
Sting performed (https://youtu.be/T8QWtmW1WUQ) his new song "50,000" and it's great!!! :D As mentioned before he got inspired to write it after Glenn, David Bowie, Prince, and Lemmy all passed away so close together. I really like the lyrics I can make out and it's a great tribute song to them, and hope the full lyrics are posted soon.

sodascouts
09-17-2016, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the link.

09-18-2016, 01:12 PM
Thanks bf45. I liked the melody of the song, but had a very difficult time understanding the lyrics, which is a shame in a tribute song. I did a web search to see if I could find the lyrics, but couldn't come up with anything yet. Maybe they'll show up before too long.

buffyfan145
09-18-2016, 04:34 PM
I had the same issue Dreamer. His album is out in November so hopefully the recorded version and the lyrics will be up by then.

sodascouts
09-18-2016, 04:54 PM
Yeah. I had a similar problem. Still, I appreciate the sentiment, especially today.

LuvTim
09-18-2016, 10:40 PM
Glenn was included in the memorial segment of the Emmy awards tonight.

zeldabjr
09-18-2016, 10:55 PM
Glenn was included in the memorial segment of the Emmy awards tonight.

I saw it too...now I can't stop crying...

Glennsallnighter
09-19-2016, 05:24 AM
I've changed my signature here as I wanted something to commemorate Glenn :heart:. I've left my av though and its unlikely I will change it. I HAVE changed my FB profile and cover pics but they are and I think still will be Eagles/Glenn :heart: related.

I was asleep for the Emmy Awards last night but I will check out the video today. Pesky 6 hr time difference.

UndertheWire
09-19-2016, 06:06 AM
A country singer called Collin Raye (http://www.chieftain.com/news/pueblo/5104799-120/raye-collin-audience-frey) made a tribute to Glenn at a concert:

He introduced Frey’s “Take it Easy” with stories about meeting the Eagle at a Nashville benefit bowling tournament and again on an airplane, emphasizing with both what a gracious guy Frey had been.

buffyfan145
09-19-2016, 10:01 AM
I was so happy Glenn was included in the Emmys like I hoped!!! :heart: Tori Kelly did a great performance (I love that song so much) and they honored so many of the celebs that passed away this past year. I was already so happy as so many of my favorite actors won and then seeing Glenn included in the tribute made it even better.

That's so great Collin did that. :D He's another favorite of my Mom's from the 90s country days.