PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Glenn Frey

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

shunlvswx
09-19-2016, 11:00 AM
A country singer called Collin Raye (http://www.chieftain.com/news/pueblo/5104799-120/raye-collin-audience-frey) made a tribute to Glenn at a concert:

That's cool. I've been a fan of Collin's music for many years. I saw him in concert in 1995 I think. It was a great concert.

I missed the Emmys last night. I was watching that JonBenet Ramsey special. I hate that I missed it, but I did see a video on Facebook. Darn. We lost so many people this year and even last year.

Delilah
09-19-2016, 11:45 AM
I missed the Emmys too but I did see the tweet. I didn't know Collin Raye was still around, lol.:smile: I'm glad he shared his memories of Glenn.

buffyfan145
09-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Just posted in the Eagles mentions on TV shows but my brother is currently watching Dan Patrick's tv/radio show and he and his producers talked about Glenn again and his time showing up on the show. :D The producers even said Glenn was so nice to them after his interview and said Glenn couldn't wait to come back again and talk more sports. So nice to see how much Dan and his producers loved Glenn.

FWIW
09-27-2016, 12:07 PM
I remember that interview Buffy! It's cool that the guys still talk about it. His reaction when Fritzy sang "You Belong to the City" was priceless.

When I lived in So Cal, I remember seeing Glenn whenever I went to a Lakers game. Of course I never had courtside seats, but I could always find him, right next to Dyan Cannon.

shunlvswx
09-27-2016, 07:38 PM
I just notice that Glenn is trending on facebook. They are talking about the statue in Winslow, AZ.

sodascouts
10-15-2016, 11:14 AM
Tim talks so much about Glenn here that I thought I would add it to this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2tD82BTnRA

Ive always been a dreamer
10-15-2016, 12:57 PM
You beat me to it. I was thinking exactly the same thing. Tim looks like he is still in disbelief - I share his pain.

LovinGlennGirl
10-15-2016, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the Timothy video. Love his love for Glenn.

buffyfan145
10-15-2016, 04:08 PM
Thanks so much for sharing the vid Soda. :)

Freypower
10-15-2016, 06:00 PM
And thanks to Tim for sharing his thoughts & memories.

AlreadyGone95
10-31-2016, 02:46 AM
Someone else posted this article in the press/blogs thread, but I think it it belongs here as well.
http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/2016/03/15/thomas-sullivan-its-your-world-now/

I'll post the relevant part of the article.

Q: [Newport Beach, CA]: …sorry for your loss [Glenn Frey], Sully. Another leftie creative genius is gone.

A: Left-handedness does seem to correlate or at least associate with creativity. However, Glenn was ambidextrous (which may be an even deeper association with creativity). He golfed, wrote and swung a baseball bat left but played guitar right-handed.

Q: [Many recent emails/messages ask if I was at the private memorial for Glenn Frey at The Forum in California which has been reported in the media and speculated about on fan blogs.]

A: Actually, it was styled as a celebration of Glenn’s life, and I was there. Celebration with music, celebration with stories and laughter, celebration with food – this was life lived large in the key of G(lenn). It was a little surreal, as if all walks of life had suddenly come together, as indeed they had.
No pretenses, no putting on airs, no intrusive media. The invitation said that dress was Glenn Frey standard – “Jeans and a sport coat or a damn fine suit. Players choice!” And the quality of the communication, the music, and the table, as always with Glenn and Cindy Frey, was first-class plus.
Picture DisneyWorld where the frontiers are all intermingled: one minute you’re chatting with Stevie Wonder, Don Henley or Kareem Abdul Jabbar and 15 minutes later it’s Randy Newman, Cameron Crowe or Paul Shaffer. The musical offerings culminated with a rockin’ finale that included the Eagles past and present, Bob Seger, Paul Stanley of KISS, Jackson Browne, JD Souther, and too many others to remember. But the number that got to me the most was the poignant last performance of “Desperado” – the signature song that brought Glenn and I together in the first place. I’d seen the grim and tragic (it seemed to me) presentation of that musical masterpiece the night before at the Grammys, and it suddenly struck me here at The Forum that this was the last time it would ever be performed with the remaining Eagles. There were the dimmed lights and the empty space where Glenn should have stood, and suddenly with the last fading chord the waves of shock and denial ended and I knew with crushing finality: Glenn was gone.
It’s called closure, but it’s never that. Acceptance is what it is. Acceptance and celebration, which is what I felt sharing quality time at the Frey house the next day. Accomplished and capable Cindy Frey is a beacon of positive energy and honest emotion, and the younger Freys have left nothing untapped in the gene pool. Taylor’s muse has all the fire and pz-azz of Glenn’s muse, especially in her writing; Deacon can melt the hearts and rock the socks off any audience; and Otis will charm you with his candor and zest for life. America’s future and the Frey legacy are in good hands. Maybe Glenn said it best in one of his last songs, the eerily prophetic It’s Your World Now:
“It’s your world now
Use well the time
Be part of something good
Leave something good behind
The curtain falls
I take my bow
That’s how it’s meant to be
It’s your world now…”

Delilah
10-31-2016, 01:45 PM
Thank you AG95. The linked article at the bottom is well worth the read also. I saw it was already linked earlier several pages ago, so I won't post any of it, but I will re-post the link:

http://www.thomassullivanauthor.com/newsletters/02162016.html

sodascouts
11-01-2016, 11:34 PM
Wow. Thank you for posting that.

LovinGlennGirl
11-01-2016, 11:44 PM
Thank you thank you thank you. I have no words, very special newsletter.

UndertheWire
11-06-2016, 07:34 AM
Bob Seger, talking about Glenn. This may be clips from old interviews, but still some stories that are new to me, like why Glenn was keen to sing background on "Against the Wind".

http://www.inthestudio.net/redbeards-blog/glenn-frey-remembered-bob-seger/

Topkat
11-06-2016, 09:45 PM
Thanks for posting those interviews. Fond memories of Glenn are always interesting. RIP Glenn. You are sadly missed by many :heart:

RudieCantFail
12-21-2016, 01:45 AM
I hope this is okay to do, but if it's not for legal reasons, let me know. I took pics from my phone of the Life Magazine tribute for those who passed in 2016. Glenn was one of the people and they had Travis Tritt say something about him.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/e218b3417e109fd0956767874c62d957/tumblr_oiisleNC0p1tg5olgo1_540.jpg
https://68.media.tumblr.com/053fd3ee4105d1d49a6144e9a20c72b6/tumblr_oiisleNC0p1tg5olgo3_540.jpg

Same pic as the 2nd one but I just focused more on Glenn than capturing the whole image:
https://68.media.tumblr.com/059a9b4b35a748bb0845b25f76971a09/tumblr_oiisleNC0p1tg5olgo5_540.jpg

UndertheWire
12-21-2016, 08:37 AM
Thank you for posting that. I'm going to extract a couple of bits (just in case your scans disappear).

He was very down-to-earth, very well-grounded. Here was a guy who could easily have been arrogant, but he was totally the opposite. I’ve always admired anyone who can have so much success and remain humble. I’d think, “That’s the way it should be, and if he can be that way, why can’t I?”

It's always heart-warming (and reassuring) to read something like that. It makes me feel that my trust is not misplaced. I know they were accused of arrogance back in the 70s but my suspicion is that a lot of that was bravado - putting on the game face. In interviews, even back then, he seemed to have a lot of self-awareness.

I would really like for everybody who reads this to go back and find every single piece of music that Glenn Frey was ever involved in and just listen and be reminded of what a great talent we’ve lost. But as incredibly sad as it is to lose him, the wonderful thing is that his music will live on forever.
Hear! Hear!

Something that's become clear to me is that even without Don, Glenn's lyrics are good. They may lack the references to literature but they tell their story and hold together. I don't have to listen to "classic rock" playlists for long to realise that the majority of songs that were successful in that genre had pretty poor lyrics.

buffyfan145
12-21-2016, 11:57 AM
Thanks so much for posting that Rudie!!! :D Loved what Travis said about Glenn and the pic!!! :heart:

sodascouts
12-21-2016, 12:44 PM
I love to read things like that about him. I think I'll run out and purchase a copy for myself.

priscillaupstate
12-30-2016, 09:45 PM
There was a segment on NBC Nightly News and Glenn was a part of it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/in-memoriam-2016-remembering-the-famous-figures-the-world-lost-844874307701

sodascouts
12-30-2016, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up and the link.

priscillaupstate
12-30-2016, 11:55 PM
You're welcome.

buffyfan145
12-31-2016, 05:21 PM
I just saw this on FaceBook and iHeartRadio put together a great tribute video for some of the celebs that passed away this year either performing or dancing and Glenn's in it. :D It's set to Wham!'s "Wake me Up Before You Go-Go" and so nice seeing everyone looking happy in it.

https://www.facebook.com/iheartradio/videos/10154966331254172/?pnref=story

travlnman2
12-31-2016, 06:49 PM
I have wondered if we will ever figure out where Glenn is burried if he was burtied. I understand the Frey Family wishes private but wouldnt there be public records? Because I am pretty sure most of us would be quiet and repsectful. If we ever found out I would go and lay A wreath made of Guitar Picks

Freypower
12-31-2016, 07:01 PM
I have wondered if we will ever figure out where Glenn is burried if he was burtied. I understand the Frey Family wishes private but wouldnt there be public records? Because I am pretty sure most of us would be quiet and repsectful. If we ever found out I would go and lay A wreath made of Guitar Picks

He may have been cremated & if that is the case there wouldn't be a public record. I would have thought the fact that no announcement was ever made indicates cremation.

shunlvswx
12-31-2016, 08:08 PM
Its kinda strange that I saw on Glenn's trivia part of his bio section on IMDB.com said he was cremated. I didn't know if it was true when I first. So I never posted that info on here because I didn't know if it was true. Glenn may had been cremated because we never heard of a funeral other than his memorial service a day after the Grammys.

Freypower
12-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Its kinda strange that I saw on Glenn's trivia part of his bio section on IMDB.com said he was cremated. I didn't know if it was true when I first. So I never posted that info on here because I didn't know if it was true. Glenn may had been cremated because we never heard of a funeral other than his memorial service a day after the Grammys.

I get that, but I would have thought you still have a funeral prior to the cremation, as happened with my father, at least that is what I am familiar with.

shunlvswx
12-31-2016, 08:44 PM
I think I heard that some people do funeral before cremation and some don't.

buffyfan145
12-31-2016, 09:51 PM
When my Grandpa died in 2015 he was cremated and we had the memorial service afterwards. There usually isn't a casket there but it depends on the person and the family's wishes as some will have a traditional funeral instead of a memorial service. My Papa wanted it to be more like a family reunion so he was cremated before it and the urn was there, so when we had the service we had a slide show of pictures up. He and my Granny (who plans to do the same) wanted the people there to remember them as they were. However, my other Grandparents on my Dad's side are Catholic so it was a new thing to them, since they came to the service, as the older Catholics still don't believe in it. Different religions think different things about it. My Papa's ashes still haven't been scattered as we know that won't happen till after my Granny joins him as she's told us, so the urn is at their house for now.

So I had been wondering too if maybe this was the case for Glenn too and why we didn't hear anything about a burial.

UndertheWire
01-01-2017, 10:52 AM
Keith Urban performed a tribute to some of the artists who died in 2016:
https://pjmedia.com/video/watch-keith-urbans-new-years-eve-tribute-to-musicians-we-lost-in-2016/

travlnman2
01-01-2017, 02:50 PM
I get that, but I would have thought you still have a funeral prior to the cremation, as happened with my father, at least that is what I am familiar with.

When my Grandmother Passed away in November which was a day before the 2nd anniversy of my Dads mom which was wiered. She was cremated but it was before a Funeral so it was just my family on my mothers side that had a private wake a week becore the Cremation but then a week later we had the official funeral because some people were out of state

buffyfan145
01-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Love the Keith Urban video!!! :D So nice he included Glenn and so many of the musicians that passed away in 2016.

sodascouts
01-01-2017, 10:40 PM
Loved both the dancing video and the tribute by Keith. These end-of-year tributes will probably be the last we see, so I value each and every one.

chaim
01-02-2017, 10:21 AM
I have no idea why Nicole was there, but that was a nice tribute from Keith.

shunlvswx
01-02-2017, 10:37 AM
Nicole is married to Keith. So they probably celebrating New Year's together.

chaim
01-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Yeah I know, but it was weird seeing her just dancing there.

shunlvswx
01-02-2017, 11:30 AM
I think he asked her on stage to sing Heroes.

Glennsallnighter
01-03-2017, 11:13 AM

Any funeral that I have been to in Ireland/UK where the deceased has been cremated has had a regular funeral service followed by the cremation and the casket is at both services. But it probably differs from place to place and tradition to tradition.

secret squirrel
01-03-2017, 12:26 PM
I don't know how many of you are in the UK but I've been upset that Glenn has quite often been missed out of the round-ups though when they do include him, I only start crying again to the confusion of our guests.

No disrespect to Leonard Cohen but his passing was covered in much more detail and with much more reverence than Glenn's. Is it that cult/cool thing again?

Anyway, still love you, Glenn.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/eagles-glenn-frey-beyond-cool-band-for.html

shunlvswx
01-03-2017, 12:47 PM
I forget to comment on Keith Urban's video. That was soo nice and sweet. I think I remembered him playing piano on Take It Easy. I like that he gave the people he paid tribute to equal amount of time on their songs. I see why I love Keith's music. That was soo nice of him to do that.

I like the dancing video too. I thought maybe they were going show the clip of Glenn dancing to All She Wants To Do Is Dance. LOL

UndertheWire
01-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Well, Glenn and the Eagles were never that big in the UK - just one top ten single and one #1 album (compared with George Michael's 25 top ten singles and five #1 albums).

While I was pleased to see that the BBC included Glenn in their round-up of musicians who died during the year, I wasn't impressed by what they wrote. I wasn't going to post, but maybe sharing my indignation will help.

Glenn Frey was one of the founder members of The Eagles, writing classic such as Hotel California and Take It Easy. He died in January from a long-standing intestinal complaint, which he attributed to a life of excess fuelled by alcohol and drugs.
Really? They couldn't do any better than that? I know the "burgers and beer and blow and broads" quote but that was about his lifestyle thirty years ago and made before he knew about his auto-immune conditions.

GlennLover
01-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Well, Glenn and the Eagles were never that big in the UK - just one top ten single and one #1 album (compared with George Michael's 25 top ten singles and five #1 albums).

While I was pleased to see that the BBC included Glenn in their round-up of musicians who died during the year, I wasn't impressed by what they wrote. I wasn't going to post, but maybe sharing my indignation will help.

Really? They couldn't do any better than that? I know the "burgers and beer and blow and broads" quote but that was about his lifestyle thirty years ago and made before he knew about his auto-immune conditions.

That's terrible. Poor research for one thing, but very irreverent. Should have said more about his talent & contributions to music. :mad::enraged:

shunlvswx
01-03-2017, 01:57 PM
That was soo freaking wrong!!! :nope::brickwall::thumbsdown::enraged: They're acting like Glenn never stopped doing drugs and alcohol and died because he was still doing it and caught up with him. I guess they would put whatever they want for ratings.

I guess using drugs and drinking alcohol 30 or 40 years ago sound so much better than what he died of and even say anything about his talent.

sodascouts
01-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Wow. Disappointing, to put it mildly.

As for his inclusion overall, in the US, he often gets mentioned but is always overshadowed by the segments about Prince.

Freypower
01-03-2017, 04:13 PM
You have to look at it this way.

He wasn't the sole singer, sole writer or sole guitarist. To most he was just a band member. They didn't think he was sufficiently important as an indivdual to warrant the coverage his fans thought he deserved. Then there was his solo career, which to my mind has either been totally forgotten, reduced to two songs, or dismissed as irrelevant.

Brooke
01-03-2017, 04:53 PM
You have to look at it this way.

He wasn't the sole singer, sole writer or sole guitarist. To most he was just a band member.

And, that's pretty much the way Glenn wanted it. He seemed to enjoy cheering on the other members of the band rather than himself.

As one of HIS fans, I know he was much, much more. :nod:

buffyfan145
01-03-2017, 05:35 PM
I am glad most of the things I saw here in the US did include Glenn. I do wish it was more too in some cases, as I feel some of the magazines (Entertainment Weekly, Life, People, etc.) did write more in their print and online versions. I agree too most do see him as part of a band and the others that passed last year did seem to have more of an impact culturally as solo artists, actors, others on TV in news/sports, writers, and athletes. But again last year was the most celebrity deaths in modern history so I noticed others were overlooked in various entertainment fields as well just because of the high numbers.

shunlvswx
01-03-2017, 06:00 PM
But let's put it this way. Even though he wasn't as popular than let's say David Bowie, Prince, George Michael, or even Alan Thicke. And even though he's going to be remembered more as being part of a band and Eagles co-founding than his solo career, at least he wasn't one of those artists where the people were saying who? I've seen that with a few people who died last year. They may not know who he was, but they knew the Eagles. And its sad he will only be known as part of a group instead of his solo. Probably all the guys will be remembered because being part of very popular 70s group who was still popular after they got back together until the end.

I have seen some articles and videos where they forgot Glenn(heck they forgot a lot of people), but of all the articles and videos I've seen, Glenn was included.

Thank goodness the Eagles were still active and still touring before Glenn died. He may not have an interesting and strange life like David, George Michael or Prince, but he also wasn't controversial.

Seem like Glenn got more respect for the country world than the rock/classical world.

As long as there's an Eagle song played on the radio, their music will always live on and I don't see any of the radio station across the world stop playing any of the Eagles music any time soon.

sodascouts
01-03-2017, 10:52 PM
And, that's pretty much the way Glenn wanted it. He seemed to enjoy cheering on the other members of the band rather than himself.

As one of HIS fans, I know he was much, much more. :nod:

Well said!

Houston Baby
01-03-2017, 11:13 PM
Love your avatar FP!

secret squirrel
01-04-2017, 12:30 PM
That was soo freaking wrong!!! :nope::brickwall::thumbsdown::enraged:

Great emoticons, Shun! Plus I'm crazy for your avatar - they all look so happy!

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/

shunlvswx
01-10-2017, 10:00 AM
IHeart Radio brought back David Bowie's Tribute radio station today for the one year anniversary of his death. I wonder if they will do that for Glenn next week, but I won't hold my breath on that. I will post if they do.

UndertheWire
01-10-2017, 10:33 AM
There's a new Bowie documentary which is one of the reasons why the anniversary is getting publicity.

I'll be happy if the anniversary of Glenn's death passes unnoticed by most. I'm looking forward to stories of the Border gathering, but that's about it.

shunlvswx
01-10-2017, 10:49 AM
I saw the new documentary on David this weekend. I enjoyed it.

There's one facebook page I know that will say something about Glenn's death. The guy is a huge fan of the Eagles and acknowledge Glenn's birthday in November(some didn't). Heck he acknowledge all the Eagles' birthday. I know he's going to say something. He's got a great facebook page where he spotlights artists from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

The College Knowledge of Rock & Roll(whatever its called) might say something about Glenn's death (even though they forgot to say something about Glenn's birthday :scowl:).

I think they will say something about Glenn's death on different facebook pages, but that's it. Like I said about the tribute station on IHeart Radio. I won't hold my breath on them during that for Glenn. I wouldn't be surprise if they did it for Prince.

FreyFollower
01-10-2017, 04:22 PM
I forgot to mention that this past weekend Walmart Radio (aired in stores) had a segment called "Artists Who Will Live On" through their music. There were ten featured, of which Glenn was one. It wasn't a 2016 retrospective, because it included John Lennon and Elvis. The DJs pronounced his name "fray" and poorly sang a piece of "The Heat is On" after it played. But I was glad to hear him mentioned among those we lost too soon.

buffyfan145
01-10-2017, 05:27 PM
That's really nice FF they included him. :D I'm hoping to see posts on all my social media sites, and I know other fans will for sure on them as I will be posting on all. It might not be as largely covered as Bowie's currently is but a lot of us will be posting.

Freypower
01-10-2017, 05:55 PM
My current signature remembers them both. I associate the song with them both. :cry:

UndertheWire
01-13-2017, 06:04 AM
Joe:

“To have spent the time that I got to spend with Glenn, it was life changing. He was such a good friend. Such a good musician, and he had such a grasp of the big picture, y’know? He knew what he wanted to do, and it was make the Eagles into exactly what they were…This has been said about him, but he was like the coach of a football team, y’know?…We all had so much respect for him that we all let him run with the football. I always thought when I first was going to join, I thought with the vocals and the songwriting that’s already in place, ‘Boy, I could play some kick-ass guitar on that!’ I’m just grateful for the time that Glenn was in my life, because he took the quality of my whole life up a big notch.”
http://wror.com/2017/01/12/joe-walsh-glenn-freys-impact-life/

Brooke
01-13-2017, 09:46 AM
What an awesome thing to say, Joe! :heart:

secondchances
01-13-2017, 09:59 AM
Hi Everyone,

This was just posted in Thomas Sullivan's monthly Sullygram:

Must close with this…

I miss you, Glenn. January 18th will be one year since you strolled into the shadows, leaving “a hole in the world” for fans, family and friends and effectively ending the legendary run of the Eagles. Funny how destiny didn’t throw a couple of Detroit boys together until we had wandered all over the globe separately. Same thing happened when I wrote a book for a famous mountain climber after the Everest disaster. It turned out we had played Little League baseball against each other as 12-year-olds in Bay City, Michigan. Destiny. Sounds corny, but with some people you feel it, know it. A couple billion people knew it was a touch of destiny when they heard your music with the Eagles. I’ve listened to it in a whisper-quiet stadium with tens of thousands of people holding their breath for every intimate nuance coming out of the speakers, and I’ve heard you sing me a song across a table, and it’s the same. You resonate something in the core of everyone’s soul. Do you remember a night when we had eaten at some restaurant either in Michigan or Minnesota and had gone back to the darkened corridors of an arena where you had just sung for a packed house? We suddenly realized we had to go in different directions, and we strolled apart, then turned to face each other. We were just silhouettes faintly lit by lights from the street. Neither of us spoke, but we knew we were fading from each other’s lives again for an unspecified time. No words needed, because the pause said, “See you down the road, amigo.” I treasure that. Thanks for all of it, my brother muse. The friendship, the laughs and the music that breathes forever though you’ve strolled again into the shadows. See you down the road….

buffyfan145
01-13-2017, 11:50 AM
Love Joe's comments and Thomas' too. :heart:

GlennLover
01-13-2017, 12:02 PM
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Glenn really had a huge impact on the people who knew him (not to mention those of us who never met him)!!!!!!!

UndertheWire
01-13-2017, 12:52 PM
Thomas Sullivan's comments are touching.

I'm glad Joe has found a way to talk about Glenn.

Redcloud
01-13-2017, 04:26 PM
I agree. It's too soon. That's probably why the site of his burial has not been made public. His family need some privacy. That's why I didn't post the name of the cemetery in California.

Maybe he was buried under his real name at birth (not Frey)

Freypower
01-13-2017, 06:45 PM
Maybe he was buried under his real name at birth (not Frey)

Why would that have happened?

He was known as 'Frey' for his entire life. I still think it is more likely he was cremated.

Glennsallnighter
01-13-2017, 09:03 PM
That's really nice FF they included him. :D I'm hoping to see posts on all my social media sites, and I know other fans will for sure on them as I will be posting on all. It might not be as largely covered as Bowie's currently is but a lot of us will be posting.

Oh we will. Glenn :heart: is still and always will be special to his fans and remembered particularly around this time every year

Redcloud
01-14-2017, 02:27 PM
Why would that have happened?

He was known as 'Frey' for his entire life. I still think it is more likely he was cremated.

Its obvious why that could have happened. Hence the reason nobody knows what happened to his remains!!!

Freypower
01-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Its obvious why that could have happened. Hence the reason nobody knows what happened to his remains!!!

For a start it is a private matter & regardless, I find the idea that someone would be buried under a name they never used to be quite bizarre. Using this logic, when Pope Francis dies his tomb should read 'Jorge Bergoglio'.

The fact is we don't know & we will never know, and to me that suggests cremation.

An example of Glenn's lack of name recognition. This is a British example & probably won't mean much to most Americans.

On the latest episode of The Grand Tour (the Amazon Prime successor to Top Gear) they were in Nashville & Jeremy Clarkson decided to be provocative & state that America's best music came from Detroit, not Nashville. He gave a list of names to which Richard Hammond responded negatively (Hammond plays what I feel is a cringeworthy role as an Americanophile). 'Half of the Eagles' Clarkson said, to which Hammond replied 'I don't like that half'.

So one, his statement was wrong, as only one Eagle was from Detroit, and two, he couldn't even be bothered to name him, and three, the exchange suggested that perhaps neither of them were even aware Glenn had died.

Clarkson has form on this issue. He wrote about Detroit music in one of his books & listed Henley as being from Detroit. One episode of Top Gear had Alice Cooper as a guest & he was the one who mentioned Glenn by name, not Clarkson.

I suppose none of this matters but quite honestly, even if people knew where the grave is (if there is a grave) I don't think there would be a stampede towards it.

Redcloud
01-15-2017, 10:12 AM
For a start it is a private matter & regardless, I find the idea that someone would be buried under a name they never used to be quite bizarre. Using this logic, when Pope Francis dies his tomb should read 'Jorge Bergoglio'.

The fact is we don't know & we will never know, and to me that suggests cremation.

An example of Glenn's lack of name recognition. This is a British example & probably won't mean much to most Americans.

On the latest episode of The Grand Tour (the Amazon Prime successor to Top Gear) they were in Nashville & Jeremy Clarkson decided to be provocative & state that America's best music came from Detroit, not Nashville. He gave a list of names to which Richard Hammond responded negatively (Hammond plays what I feel is a cringeworthy role as an Americanophile). 'Half of the Eagles' Clarkson said, to which Hammond replied 'I don't like that half'.

So one, his statement was wrong, as only one Eagle was from Detroit, and two, he couldn't even be bothered to name him, and three, the exchange suggested that perhaps neither of them were even aware Glenn had died.

Clarkson has form on this issue. He wrote about Detroit music in one of his books & listed Henley as being from Detroit. One episode of Top Gear had Alice Cooper as a guest & he was the one who mentioned Glenn by name, not Clarkson.

I suppose none of this matters but quite honestly, even if people knew where the grave is (if there is a grave) I don't think there would be a stampede towards it.

Blimey, I was only contributing to a thread and suggesting a reason why we dont know if he is buried in Rowland heights or not. Not sure what the "British" rant is about or what Jeremy Clarkson has to do with the matter but if you doubt my credentials as a Glenn Frey/Eagles fan, i have been his house in L.A. recently and ive been to the venue where the Hotel California album cover picture was taken. I would now like to visit Glenns grave to pay my respects if there is such a site.

It was just my thoughts and opinion. Like arseholes, everyone has one!

buffyfan145
01-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Redcloud, it's more of the fact that Glenn as far as we know never had a relationship with his biological father since his real dad abandoned his family, so it's very unlikely he would use that name. I'm pretty sure his step-father actually legally adopted him so Glenn's legal last name is Frey. I agree too that he probably was cremated since there's no burial information out there and even though people are famous burial sites are usually easy to find with how the US keeps those records open to the public (same with birth, death, and marriage certificates and divorces).

VillageGirl
01-15-2017, 03:42 PM
Redcloud, you are too funny!! :lol:

Freypower
01-15-2017, 04:29 PM
Blimey, I was only contributing to a thread and suggesting a reason why we dont know if he is buried in Rowland heights or not. Not sure what the "British" rant is about or what Jeremy Clarkson has to do with the matter but if you doubt my credentials as a Glenn Frey/Eagles fan, i have been his house in L.A. recently and ive been to the venue where the Hotel California album cover picture was taken. I would now like to visit Glenns grave to pay my respects if there is such a site.

It was just my thoughts and opinion. Like arseholes, everyone has one!

The story I told was not really an answer to you but a contribution to the thread which was about 'remembering'. That is why I said it was 'an example of lack of name recognition'. I never doubted your credentials in any way. I hope BF was able to clarify it somwhat as I am ignorant of American customs.

travlnman2
01-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Wait I am missing something. Glenns Father abandonded the family? Innever knrw about that. He said his dad worked in a Factory in HOTE

FreyFollower
01-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Glenn's mother was married before. When she married Eddie Frey, he adopted Glenn and gave him his name. Since Glenn was only 3 or 4, he totally considered Eddie his dad. Deacon's middle name is Edward, after him.

UndertheWire
01-16-2017, 02:25 PM
What I've read (here) is that Glenn's mother married Eddie Frey when Glenn was toddler and Glenn always referred to Eddie as his father.

Redcloud
01-17-2017, 09:56 AM
What I've read (here) is that Glenn's mother married Eddie Frey when Glenn was toddler and Glenn always referred to Eddie as his father.

Glenns mother divorced his father who was of French Candadian descent a year or so after he was born. His mother married Eddie Frey in 1951.

NightMistBlue
01-17-2017, 02:04 PM
This was written a year ago by Rusty Young of Poco, but I didn't see it until today. I searched this thread and it doesn't appear to have been posted before.

Thoughts on Glenn
January 18, 2016
I met Glenn Frey at the Troubadour in the late sixties. He'd hang out at the bar with JD Souther and Jackson Browne and talk music and pick up girls. It wasn't long before Glenn and JD (Longbranch Pennywhistle) were opening for Poco at the Troubadour.
After the Eagles took off, I'd run into Glenn every once in a while. We even had the tables turned and opened some shows for them in the seventies.
My favorite memory was running into Glenn at The Record Plant in LA back when they were working on the 'One Of These Nights' album.
Glenn pulled me into a small playback room and put a tape reel on the playback machine.
It was a rough mix of 'One Of These Nights' and it was amazing. I loved it and let him know I thought they'd knocked it out of park. He was very proud and rightly so.
What a great legacy Glenn leaves all too soon.

sodascouts
01-17-2017, 08:26 PM
Thanks for those who have posted lovely messages about Glenn.

Those who wish to complain, bicker, and/or rant, please do it in another thread.

sodascouts
01-17-2017, 08:43 PM
I thought about putting this in the Border Gathering thread, but I think it would be more appropriate here.

I spent the last weekend "remembering Glenn Frey" with some very special people: Brooke, Glennsallnighter, Houston Baby, Ive always been a dreamer, and Perfect Little Sister.

After Glenn died last year, I felt very sad that there was no way I could publicly mourn him. There was no memorial service open to the public, no tribute concert by what was left of the Eagles and his musician friends that we could attend. People around me didn't understand why I would be so upset about his death. I decided I wanted to do something public and significant to honor Glenn on the year's anniversary of his death. Hence, the "Border Gathering" in Los Angeles.

On Saturday, we went to Joshua Tree and to Cap Rock, where some of the photos for their first album were taken. There, we buried a time-capsule like box with letters to Glenn and items of special significance to us.

I wrote a letter to Glenn on the same stationary I used when I wrote my first fan letter to him in 2005, right after I'd become "hard core" and had created GlennFreyOnline (http://www.glennfreyonline.com). I never thought that a little over 11 years later, I'd be using it to write to him posthumously. It was several pages long, and yet it was terribly inadequate to convey all he meant to me. Still, it made me feel better to write it.

I also included a photo of me, PLS, Dreamer, and Glenn at Niagara Falls as well as a ticket stub from that night. Additionally, I slipped in a postcard I'd bought at Pebble Beach during one of those trips. Again, it made me feel better. We said some words, cried some tears, and I said a quiet prayer. I guess, in a way, it was our "memorial service."

On Sunday, after going to Dan Tana's and eating Glenn's favorite dinner, we went to see Jack Tempchin perform. He played a song he'd written for Glenn. I'm not sure what the title is - perhaps "I Never Had a Chance to Say Goodbye" - but it was lovely and brought on some more tears. It was a very appropriate way to end our trip.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow, on the memory of the day; my heart is full.

buffyfan145
01-17-2017, 09:31 PM
I'm so glad for you Soda and everyone that was able to go. It sounded like such a perfect way for all of you to honor Glenn and share it together.

FreyFollower
01-17-2017, 10:12 PM
I know I will never have the time or money to make the pilgrimage that you all have. But I so appreciate your making this trip and honoring Glenn as you have done. Thank you so much from those who were with you in spirit and share your loss.

Freypower
01-17-2017, 10:44 PM
I agree with the two previous posts & I apologise for a couple of posts of mine earlier. They were not appropriate.

The song I downloaded by Mr Tempchin had the title There's No Goodbye, which I assume is the song he played. It's great you were able to see this & also to talk to him.

Today as most people know is the 18th for me. I wish I knew what to say but I'm afraid I don't. I miss Glenn. :depressed: I have been dwelling on my own personal memories of the concerts I went to, especially that magical time at Niagara Falls, something I DID share with some Borderers. I'm just not very good at talking about it. :-(

GlennLover
01-17-2017, 11:52 PM
I thought about putting this in the Border Gathering thread, but I think it would be more appropriate here.

I spent the last weekend "remembering Glenn Frey" with some very special people: Brooke, Glennsallnighter, Houston Baby, Ive always been a dreamer, and Perfect Little Sister.

After Glenn died last year, I felt very sad that there was no way I could publicly mourn him. There was no memorial service open to the public, no tribute concert by what was left of the Eagles and his musician friends that we could attend. People around me didn't understand why I would be so upset about his death. I decided I wanted to do something public and significant to honor Glenn on the year's anniversary of his death. Hence, the "Border Gathering" in Los Angeles.

On Saturday, we went to Joshua Tree and to Cap Rock, where some of the photos for their first album were taken. There, we buried a time-capsule like box with letters to Glenn and items of special significance to us.

I wrote a letter to Glenn on the same stationary I used when I wrote my first fan letter to him in 2005, right after I'd become "hard core" and had created GlennFreyOnline (http://www.glennfreyonline.com). I never thought that a little over 11 years later, I'd be using it to write to him posthumously. It was several pages long, and yet it was terribly inadequate to convey all he meant to me. Still, it made me feel better to write it.

I also included a photo of me, PLS, Dreamer, and Glenn at Niagara Falls as well as a ticket stub from that night. Additionally, I slipped in a postcard I'd bought at Pebble Beach during one of those trips. Again, it made me feel better. We said some words, cried some tears, and I said a quiet prayer. I guess, in a way, it was our "memorial service."

On Sunday, after going to Dan Tana's and eating Glenn's favorite dinner, we went to see Jack Tempchin perform. He played a song he'd written for Glenn. I'm not sure what the title is - perhaps "I Never Had a Chance to Say Goodbye" - but it was lovely and brought on some more tears. It was a very appropriate way to end our trip.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow, on the memory of the day; my heart is full.

That's wonderful, Soda! And what beautiful gestures, writing that letter and burying the "time capsule" box & eating Glenn's favourite meal at Dan Tana's. How cool that you got to see Jack Tempchin while you were there. I'm glad that you feel a little better. I hope the others did as well.

I don't know what I am going to do tomorrow either. I know that there will be tears 😭. There have already been some this week. Actually, they have never stopped, just gotten less frequent. It doesn't seem that it has been anywhere near a year. It seems that it was just a few months ago.

Again, I'm so glad that the six of you were able to make this trip.

Henley Honey
01-18-2017, 12:08 AM

That's lovely, Soda. I'm so glad you all got to experience that and say your own quiet, personal goodbye. I think your "memorial service" will give you continual peace, especially when you think of the time capsule that'll be your testament of your love for Glenn for eons. I know it wasn't easy for you to all take time out of your schedules, nevermind the cost of flights, meals, etc., but after all it was a labor of love. Well done, ladies. RIP Glenn.

scottside
01-18-2017, 09:31 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/hear-bob-segers-new-tribute-song-to-glenn-frey-w461128

Bob Seger's tribute song to Glenn. It's also available for free on his own website. It's simple, understated, and just beautiful.

Philh
01-18-2017, 09:34 AM
Bob Seger has released a tribute song he wrote for Glenn as detailed below

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/hear-bob-segers-new-tribute-song-to-glenn-frey-w461128

L101
01-18-2017, 09:59 AM
I'm glad that everyone had a peaceful experience at the border gathering in LA at the weekend and I hope it helps with the healing process.

I'm just posting one of my favourite pictures of Glenn in memory of him today :sad:
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b493/Lacken/Misc/hfo074_zpso5ehnbzf.jpg

shunlvswx
01-18-2017, 10:01 AM
That was a beautiful song. Great job by Bob. I'm going to download it from his website when I get home tonight.

I just hope one day we get to hear the song Joe wrote for Glenn.

shunlvswx
01-18-2017, 10:07 AM
When I was Don's concert this past weekend, I thought about Glenn especially Wasted Time and New York Minute. I was getting teary when Don sang Wasted Time. Maybe because Glenn plays the piano on this song and that famous intro at the beginning. Then Don's line in NYM, "one day you're here, the next day you're gone." That line and song brings new meaning.

I raise my two glasses of tequila sunrise and pink champagne to the wonderful and talented Glenn Frey. Cheers Glenn. :cheers: We love you, Glenn and we will never forget you.

SilverAcidRayne
01-18-2017, 10:13 AM
Hey everyone. I know i'm not here a lot but I wanted to drop in and say hello and that I will be playing Eagles music a lot more today. this was a horrible day for a lot of people last year and i'm pretty sure none of us will recover for a long time. but smile and enjoy the music he left us and hope 2017 is better to us. :heart:

LuvTim
01-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Today will be an emotional day of appreciation and remembrance for Glenn.

I know all of us Borderers are grateful for the support we will find here together. Thank you, Soda. I'll be thinking of you, and everyone here, today. :grouphug:

GlennLover
01-18-2017, 10:28 AM
Yes, it's a very emotional day. I just listened to Bob Seger's song & sobbed all the way through it. The tears are flowing reading all the tributes posted on Facebook. :weep: :weep: :weep:

SilverAcidRayne
01-18-2017, 11:17 AM
here I am thinking I could get thru today without crying. that is a beautiful song. and now I am a wreck. :weep:

buffyfan145
01-18-2017, 11:25 AM
It's still hard for me to believe it's been a year too. I know I'll never forget this day either. I am glad though for the music and that I was finally able to write those scenes I pictured to the Eagles songs when I was kid for my 6th novel "Playing With Fire". Not only did their music influence it but Glenn himself. I think he would like that I actually hand wrote the entire first draft too in some notebooks. I normally do a mix of handwriting and typing chapters on my computer but for this one went back to the original way and the way I know he wrote his songs. So in a way it was also my personal tribute to him and hopefully I'll have it out by next year.

I also love Bob's song!!! :heart: It's such a great tribute to Glenn. I'm also so happy to see all the posts too on my social media pages and just saw Glenn's trending on Twitter. We all miss him so much.

shunlvswx
01-18-2017, 11:29 AM
I have a DVD of all of Glenn's music videos. I'm watching that right now. I wanted to watch the Live from Dublin show, but its not playing on my work computer. I will try again later.

I won't ever forget January 18, 2016. I'm soo glad I was at home when I found instead of at work or even driving my car. I had a few minutes to cry and shout about Glenn's death before my mother got home last year.

I'm thinking of Cindy, their kids and of course Glenn's bandmates on this day. Don is off today and Joe has his show in Las Vegas.

UndertheWire
01-18-2017, 12:53 PM
"I said to the drummer, 'Hit it hard even though its a ballad and that's a little incongruous.' I wanted a ballad with a heavy beat because that's the way I remember Glenn."
He's right about that. It's something I'd noticed on songs like "The One You Love" without working out exactly what it was.

I 'm not sure how I feel about the anniversary. I have been amazed by what I have learned of Glenn over the last year and feel sad that there wasn't a greater celebration of the during his life. I hope Glenn knew how much people loved and respected him.

groupie2686
01-18-2017, 01:22 PM
Hello everyone...I've been a member of this site for a while, but I've never posted anything before. On the anniversary of Glenn's death, I wanted to share my story and my thoughts with you all.

I'm 30 years old, younger than the typical Eagles fan. While I have always been a fan of music that was before my time (I've liked The Beatles and Queen since I was 5 years old), I had never been much of an Eagles fan before. My mom had played Eagles music for me when I was growing up, so I was aware of them and I knew some songs, but I wasn't a big fan. Even then, though, as a child, I found Glenn's voice soothing and comforting.

After Glenn died, my mom wanted to get the Dead Dog Records arc of Wiseguy on DVD. As you probably know, that arc, with Glenn in it, isn't available on DVD. I love Wiseguy and have always wanted to see the rest of the show, so I was game, and bought a bootleg copy. I knew I'd like the show (it is a great show and if you haven't seen it, you should), but what I wasn't prepared for was Glenn Frey. The second he appeared on the screen, I was transfixed. After getting through Wiseguy and watching the tribute to him at the Grammys, I was curious to see what he looked like when he was younger. I looked at pictures and watched a few youtube videos. I was in awe. I had never seen such a good-looking man, or anyone so cool, in my life.

As the year went on, I watched, read, and listened to everything related to Glenn and the Eagles that I could get my hands on. Since then, I've become a huge Eagles fan, in awe of their music, their lyrics, and their harmonies. No band or artist has ever resonated with me this much, like it speaks to my very soul. I regret that I didn't appreciate his talent and the brilliance of the Eagles sooner, so that I could have seen them in concert.

It is a strange feeling, to feel so sad for someone's passing, when you were not that aware of them when they were alive. It truly makes my heart ache to know that he is no longer on this planet. Barely a day has gone by that I haven't thought of him. I still find his voice soothing and comforting, but now there is sadness, too. In my religion, you light a candle on the eve of a loved one's death, and it burns for 24 hours, in honor of their memory. I lit one for Glenn last night, even though it is usually reserved for family members. It just feels so personal. I cannot imagine the day when I will not miss this sweet, wonderful, beautiful man. RIP Glenn, we miss you.

secret squirrel
01-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Feeling very sad. This was the worst moment of last year for me. A year already. Rest in peace, Glenn.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/glenn-frey-cowboy-casanova.html

shunlvswx
01-18-2017, 02:45 PM
Here's an article Ultimate Classic Rock website did on Glenn's one year anniversary of his death.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/glenn-frey-dies-one-year-later/

Glennsallnighter
01-18-2017, 02:50 PM
Beautiful song- and I can even download it here. I must say being able to catch up with the other Borderers in LA and do what we did over the weekend was real food for the soul. It was wonderful to be with people who understood instead of the 'you have to be over him by now' attitude that so many people have.

Obviously having taken time off I'm busy enough these last few days but I'm keeping Glenn :heart: in my heart.

A number of people in my FB groups have suggested that people light candles in memory of Glenn :heart: today. So as I heard when Soda sent me a message shortly after 10 pm my time (10:11 to be exact) I'm going to do so then. And I'm going to drink a Tequila Sunrise in his honour.

LuvTim
01-18-2017, 04:39 PM
Hello everyone...I've been a member of this site for a while, but I've never posted anything before. On the anniversary of Glenn's death, I wanted to share my story and my thoughts with you all.

I'm 30 years old, younger than the typical Eagles fan. While I have always been a fan of music that was before my time (I've liked The Beatles and Queen since I was 5 years old), I had never been much of an Eagles fan before. My mom had played Eagles music for me when I was growing up, so I was aware of them and I knew some songs, but I wasn't a big fan. Even then, though, as a child, I found Glenn's voice soothing and comforting.

After Glenn died, my mom wanted to get the Dead Dog Records arc of Wiseguy on DVD. As you probably know, that arc, with Glenn in it, isn't available on DVD. I love Wiseguy and have always wanted to see the rest of the show, so I was game, and bought a bootleg copy. I knew I'd like the show (it is a great show and if you haven't seen it, you should), but what I wasn't prepared for was Glenn Frey. The second he appeared on the screen, I was transfixed. After getting through Wiseguy and watching the tribute to him at the Grammys, I was curious to see what he looked like when he was younger. I looked at pictures and watched a few youtube videos. I was in awe. I had never seen such a good-looking man, or anyone so cool, in my life.

As the year went on, I watched, read, and listened to everything related to Glenn and the Eagles that I could get my hands on. Since then, I've become a huge Eagles fan, in awe of their music, their lyrics, and their harmonies. No band or artist has ever resonated with me this much, like it speaks to my very soul. I regret that I didn't appreciate his talent and the brilliance of the Eagles sooner, so that I could have seen them in concert.

It is a strange feeling, to feel so sad for someone's passing, when you were not that aware of them when they were alive. It truly makes my heart ache to know that he is no longer on this planet. Barely a day has gone by that I haven't thought of him. I still find his voice soothing and comforting, but now there is sadness, too. In my religion, you light a candle on the eve of a loved one's death, and it burns for 24 hours, in honor of their memory. I lit one for Glenn last night, even though it is usually reserved for family members. It just feels so personal. I cannot imagine the day when I will not miss this sweet, wonderful, beautiful man. RIP Glenn, we miss you.
-------------

That was very sweet, g. Thanks for sharing and making your first post today.

Desperada
01-18-2017, 05:26 PM
The journey to LA, was a great idea and I am very pleased for all who travelled that it went well! I am sorry that I could not have joined you.
Glenn his family, friends and members of The Border are always in my prayers.
This is a very sad day, but when I visit here, I know that I am not alone.

Thank you!

sodascouts
01-18-2017, 06:10 PM
4:10 pm... when I found out he was gone. Miss him so much!

shunlvswx
01-18-2017, 06:28 PM
I can't remember what time I found out. It was either between 3:00pm and 4:30pm. Either way, January 18th is a day I would never forget in my life. :depressed::weep:

Freypower
01-18-2017, 08:25 PM

Bob Seger's tribute song to Glenn. It's also available for free on his own website. It's simple, understated, and just beautiful.

Yes.

Thanks to Bob for this, from the bottom of my heart.

Thanks to everyone who has posted their stories. It was 9 am on Tuesday Janurary 19 when I heard.

GlennLover
01-18-2017, 09:12 PM
I don't know the exact time, but it was in the evening of Jan 18 when I found out through Google alerts. I immediately tried to get into this site, but it was still down. I was stunned. I don't remember how long it was before I started to cry. My husband came into the room and all I could say was "Glenn died". When the tears did come they lasted all night. There was no way that I could sleep.

Tori
01-18-2017, 09:27 PM
Thought I'd stop in and remember Glenn on this anniversary. I've been listening to Eagles music all day and actually ended up wearing all black too. Even after a year I still miss him so much. I'm about to light a candle in his honor... love you Glenn <3

WalshFan88
01-18-2017, 10:12 PM
Sad day. :(

Thanks Glenn for the music and inspiration.

LovinGlennGirl
01-18-2017, 10:12 PM
So very loved and missed.

01-19-2017, 12:04 AM
Hi all - I just got back from our California trip this evening. I am so glad that we made this trip to be together with fellow Borderers during this time. I spent most of the day traveling back home so there was a lot of time on the plane to reflect about Glenn, this past year, and our Border gathering this weekend to honor this remarkable man that meant so much to so many people. As Don said so eloquently, it's still hard to imagine the world without Glenn in it even after a year. But as others as said we are so thankful that Glenn left us with his music, which lives on.

I love Bob's tribute song to Glenn. He said he hoped it didn't make Cindy cry, but how could it not. It sure brought tears to my eyes.

And BTW - Thanks to g2686 for posting your story. I loved reading it.

We love you, Glenn and will always honor your memory.

UndertheWire
01-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Glenn's friend, Thomas Sullivan, posted the text from his "Sullygram" on his facebook page. He also made an additional comment about Bob Seger:

Thomas Sullivan (https://www.facebook.com/thomas.sullivan.395?fref=ufi) Seger’s love of Glenn is sincere, El Tony. I remembering sitting on a touring trunk in some arena back room with them one time and listening to them talk and you could tell Bob was connected heart deep. It’s still unreal, Tony. Saw Cindy (his wife) at the Kennedy Center honors for the Eagles and her face had the same brave smile that marked a couple days in LA after the private memorial. It seems like the music is just paused and the future is still buffering until Glenn steps out of those shadows and into the spotlight again…
https://www.facebook.com/thomas.sullivan.395/posts/10211783849291236?pnref=story

UndertheWire
01-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Glenn's friends continue to play tribute. This is Jack Temchin with a new recording of Part of You, Part of Me.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-jack-tempchin-honor-eagles-glenn-frey-in-poignant-cover-w461672

groupie2686
01-19-2017, 01:18 PM
-------------

That was very sweet, g. Thanks for sharing and making your first post today.

Thank you, and thanks to everyone who read and commented on my post. I just had to share my thoughts yesterday.

SilverAcidRayne
01-19-2017, 06:28 PM
I was at work. when my friend messaged me and told me to not log into facebook. and I didn't until I was on a short break. a store full of customers and I had to hold it together. I wont forget that ever. just like Bowie. Glenn was another staple of my childhood. and I miss him dearly.

sodascouts
01-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Thanks from me, too, groupie2868, and all those who have written their thoughts.

I love Tempchin's sweet rendition of "Part of Me, Part of You."

I finally changed the site banners back, slightly modified. I'm not sure if I'm happy with it, but I can always change it again later. I just thought it was time.

scottside
01-19-2017, 11:17 PM
Jack's new version of "Part of Me, Part of Me" is just stunning. I know a lot of people have an issue with his voice, but I think he sings it perfectly in this quiet setting. I love the simplicity of the arrangement and the emotional impact it had on me when I first heard it.

Delilah
01-19-2017, 11:57 PM

I heard this yesterday, and I completely agree--"simple, understated, and just beautiful."

I've been listening to Glenn's solo material on my iPod. That's how I first got to "know" him, as a solo artist in the 80s, even though I knew he had been in the Eagles and his voice was instantly recognizable to me because of that. But as someone else said upthread, I've learned so much about him this past year. I wish I had appreciated him more when he was alive and that I could have seen him perform solo. Thanks for the music, Glenn.

GlennLover
01-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Jack's new version of "Part of Me, Part of Me" is just stunning. I know a lot of people have an issue with his voice, but I think he sings it perfectly in this quiet setting. I love the simplicity of the arrangement and the emotional impact it had on me when I first heard it.

I agree. I think that is the best that I have heard him sing.

Glennsallnighter
01-20-2017, 02:54 PM
It's lovely.

shunlvswx
01-21-2017, 12:41 PM
Here's a video of Joe talking about Glenn at the Vegas show. Probably the 18th show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_vCpmhX40g

sodascouts
01-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Thanks for that!

01-22-2017, 03:07 PM
Jack's tribute version of POMPOY is very poignant. And I also loved Joe's comments about Glenn. I think these two guys (Jack and Joe) had a genuine affection for Glenn and I'm sure they both miss their friend deeply.

shunlvswx
01-22-2017, 03:35 PM
I didn't now their was another Las Vegas. I looked up Las Vegas, New Mexico and its 60 miles east of Santa Fe. That was a funny story.

That was nice of Joe to say something on Glenn's anniversary of his death. I wonder what he said before the person started the video. I love hearing stories about Glenn and you can see how much Joe loved and respected Glenn.

Jack's version of POMPOY was beautiful.

Brooke
01-24-2017, 04:28 PM
I know I'm way late here, but I wanted to say that as I was traveling home on the 18th Glenn was very much in my thoughts. I saw the news about 4:45 pm on facebook that day. My daughter also texted me just as I saw it online as she knew I would want to know. First I thought it was a hoax, as I'd seen many there before. But with checking sites out and finding the same news I began to believe it. I tried to come here, but I don't think I could get in then as the site had crashed. I told my husband and we decided we would listen to Glenn's music as a special memorium. Many tears...

A year has passed and it still doesn't quite seem possible that he's gone. This weekend with my fellow Borders was such a wonderful time to talk and remember Glenn. I had planned to listen to him as I was driving on my way home from the airport, but alas, forgot my ipod in a different purse, which I had purposely set up for my drive! Thankfully, I have Sirius xm on my car radio and kept switching stations trying to find Glenn's or Eagles music. Finally, a dj mentioned that it was a year ago that Glenn passed and they would play a song in his memory. Tequila Sunrise! Perfect!

So, we must move on, but he will never be forgotten. We have his music!

ETA: Jack's and Bob's songs are so beautiful and you can tell how much they loved him in their voices.

ETA: Must Add: I'm sorry I couldn't get here earlier, this is a horribly busy time for me at home and at work....year end reports, auditing, birthday's, etc! Note to self to not take vacations in January! My desk was a disaster when I returned Monday!

Molly
01-28-2017, 12:07 PM
We saw an Eagles tribute band (Eaglemania) last nite. The opening act, a local singer/songwriter did an amazing new song that tries to explain how it felt to lose so much last year. It's called 16 going on 17. He also did a beautiful, haunting acoustic version of "It's Your World Now" which left me in tears. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckKxhDH_yDI

sodascouts
01-28-2017, 07:39 PM
We saw an Eagles tribute band (Eaglemania) last nite. The opening act, a local singer/songwriter did an amazing new song that tries to explain how it felt to lose so much last year. It's called 16 going on 17. He also did a beautiful, haunting acoustic version of "It's Your World Now" which left me in tears.https://youtu.be/ckKxhDH_yDI

Absolutely amazing. Thank you for linking to that.

01-29-2017, 02:09 PM
Wow! Thanks for sharing this, Molly. What a great song - this guy is very talented ... I would love to have heard his version of It's Your World Now.

Dawn
01-30-2017, 12:40 AM
We saw an Eagles tribute band (Eaglemania) last nite. The opening act, a local singer/songwriter did an amazing new song that tries to explain how it felt to lose so much last year. It's called 16 going on 17. He also did a beautiful, haunting acoustic version of "It's Your World Now" which left me in tears. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckKxhDH_yDI

Wow!!! I love this Ryan is an amazing talent what a beautiful song and the video is so well done You are truly fortunate to have seen him live. Thanks for posting!

Marianne
02-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Listening on Long Road out of Eden.
The lyrics and the music really gets to me.
I played your When hell freezes over so many times that it broke into pieces.
But there is someone missing, your voice in the world, Glenn.
1972-73 I bought your music and since then it's a part of my life.
I think of you every day, and wish you well where ever you are,
still playing your guitar.

02-05-2017, 01:35 PM
Thank you Marianne - That is a very lovely tribute to Glenn.

sodascouts
02-05-2017, 08:09 PM
Yes, thank you, Marianne, and welcome.

scottside
02-08-2017, 04:22 PM
I stumbled on this on MSN earlier. It's a collection of quotes and photos and I was actually quite shocked to see it at all!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/grammy/life-in-the-fast-lane-remembering-glenn-frey/ss-AAmFVBW?li=BBnb7Kz

Brooke
02-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Thank you, SS! Love it!

sodascouts
02-08-2017, 10:36 PM
That's fantastic - thanks! And they linked to us as well!

02-08-2017, 10:54 PM
Yep - the EOC link was the second thing I noticed. :wink:

Glennsallnighter
02-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Yes! I saw the EOC link too!!

shunlvswx
02-15-2017, 10:25 AM
Today's the one year anniversary of the guys and Jackson paying tribute to Glenn at the Grammys. It was so sad watching the guys singing on stage without Glenn. I just wanted to hug them. Forgive me with the video. This is the video I found on Youtube that had the whole performance. The quality is really not that good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmJaIOfkUvk

I put my picture of the guys at the Grammys with Glenn watching back up. I had that as my cover picture for almost the whole year until I pick up the one with Don, Joe, Timothy and Cindy at KCH.

Desperada
02-15-2017, 06:33 PM
Thank you Shun for posting the video.
It is very sad to see them playing without Glenn, and I would have liked to hug them too!

02-15-2017, 09:08 PM
Oh my! Thank you shun - that still chokes me up every time I see it.

UndertheWire
02-17-2017, 06:01 AM
Here's a video in which JD talks of Glenn, among others and then sings a song he wrote with Glenn. At first, I thought it was one that had alrady been posted, but I don't remember JD singing "Last in Love".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqqIQKGdGVo

shunlvswx
02-17-2017, 09:55 AM
Yesterday was the one anniversary of Glenn's memorial service. I read that a little part of Don's speech from the memorial service was in the KCH souvenir book.

I wish we saw pictures from the memorial service, but I understand Cindy probably wanted it private and among friends and family.

02-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Yep - we just wrapped up what I will always think of as 'Glenn Frey tribute week. Just to recap last year, it kicked off on Saturday, 2/13 with a pre-Grammy salute and tribute to Glenn at the Troubadour, then the remaining Eagles paid tribute at the Grammy show on Monday, 2/15. Glenn's memorial service at the LA Forum was on Tuesday, 2/16 and the week wrapped up with the unveiling ceremony of Glenn Frey Drive in Royal Oak, MI on Thursday, 2/18, which occurred on the one month anniversary of his passing. The world misses you, Glenn.

UndertheWire
02-20-2017, 02:40 PM
This comes from a recent interview with JD Souther:

Glenn and I rarely saw each other after the 80’s. There was no animosity. Our lives had simply moved into different orbits and eventually into different cities.
Remember though, Glenn was my first songwriting partner, roommate, and best friend when we were just starting out in Hollywood, so I loved him and will always miss him.
His death was untimely, far too young, but just look at the rich musical highway he and Don Henley cut into the American musical landscape. And look at the music that has followed that road map through the last nearly half century. Pretty impressive.
http://www.artistsandbands.org/ver2/interviste/8664-jd-souther-longbranch-pennywhistle-souther-hillman-furay-band-eagles

It leaves me wondering who Glenn was still close with towards the end. Perhaps between family, Eagles business and his illnesses, he just didn't have much time for catching up with friends.

Freypower
02-20-2017, 06:00 PM
He was working on the musical with Robert Wuhl with whom he had appeared in Arli$$. I got the impression the two of them were close.

priscillaupstate
02-23-2017, 11:43 PM
I'm not able to link it but Glenn was included in the In Memoriam segment at last night's 2017 Brit Awards. The video is on YouTube.

UndertheWire
02-24-2017, 06:56 AM
More from Timothy:

I ask Schmit his abiding memories of Frey. “Glenn was everything,” he replies. “He had a very big personality that encompassed a wide spectrum of moods.

“He wasn’t afraid to show those moods at any moment and my obvious best memories are of his Pooh Bear side. He could be quite lovely. I used to introduce him on stage as ‘The man with a thousand jokes’.

“He would do these great belly laughs and he could be hilarious. He knew he affected people in all kinds of ways.”

Schmit reveals the darker side to Frey with a telling moment from the band’s final tour, The History Of The Eagles, which ended in July 2015.
“We all got pretty perceptive about reading his moods,” he says. “One time on that long tour we were going home for a ten-day break. We were flying home privately from the East Coast and by the time we got in, we were tired beyond belief.

“Glenn made sure he got his things to get off first because he really wanted to go.
“He was at the front of the plane and before he goes down the steps, he turns round and says, ‘Enjoy your time without me’.
“He said that to be funny but it was really true. He was quite a character.” source (https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2943201/singer-timothy-b-schmit-opens-up-on-his-thirty-years-in-the-eagles-the-death-of-bandmate-glenn-frey-and-his-solo-career/)

Delilah
02-24-2017, 04:51 PM
I'm not able to link it but Glenn was included in the In Memoriam segment at last night's 2017 Brit Awards. The video is on YouTube.

Thanks for the heads-up, Priscillaupstate. And much appreciation to the Brit Awards for remembering Glenn. His part starts at the 1:16 mark.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VsQLbOPeVgs

priscillaupstate
02-24-2017, 09:30 PM
Thanks Delilah!

UndertheWire
03-11-2017, 02:06 PM
I was looking for something on the video thread and ended up listening to Glenn's beer commercial track which got me thinking of Susan Hamilton and her description of the making of that track. And that led me to wondering if she had anything further to say. She's on facebook and last year she posted the entire chapter. If you haven't read it already, what are you waiting for?

Here's her Facebook introduction:

When I learned of Glenn Frey's passing, I was devastated. Posted a short tribute of course, but now, I would like to say more. Because Glenn was not only a phenomenal talent, he was also a remarkable, funny and sensitive human being… and I just want to make sure all of you know it...

https://www.facebook.com/susan.hamilton.author/posts/1006486642755389

I can't find her earlier short tribute (I'm somewhat Facebook-challenged).

Delilah
03-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Thank you for that, UtW. Glenn was certainly a charmer and a gentleman. I didn't know (or maybe I had forgotten) that he did a beer commercial in the 80s.

NightMistBlue
03-14-2017, 02:24 PM
I remembered the part about the cinnamon toast (not sure I believe it!). What a charming guy.

Should we pit Randy's beer commercial against Glenn's beer commercial? :)

sodascouts
03-15-2017, 12:05 AM
Reading these little entries from around the web makes me smile. Thanks, guys.

Dawn
03-15-2017, 05:53 PM
Stories about Glenn Frey make me smile too especially this one ...

"Billy, whoever writes the song wins." - Glenn Frey

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lBKnuPccmPI

:cheers:

Edited to add link to Eagles performing Glenn's mega hit song You Belong to the City with Billy on sax. OMG was Glenn on fire or what? What a blast it would have been to be front and center for that performance. Don Felder solo at the end was spot on too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=twkf5e0SEbM

UndertheWire
03-16-2017, 04:43 AM
I do enjoy that interview with Bill Bergman - I even have that quote in my signature line. He tells another good story (also on youtube) about The Who playing in his high school gym.

On the live Eagles clip, I'm sure it's Al Garth playing sax. I'm surprised at how many different sax players have played on Glenn's records considering that Al Garth was part of Glenn's touring band from 1982.

Dawn
03-16-2017, 08:24 AM
I do enjoy that interview with Bill Bergman - I even have that quote in my signature line. He tells another good story (also on youtube) about The Who playing in his high school gym.

On the live Eagles clip, I'm sure it's Al Garth playing sax. I'm surprised at how many different sax players have played on Glenn's records considering that Al Garth was part of Glenn's touring band from 1982.

Thanks UTW for the clarification that's the first time I've seen the live clip and I kinda wondered if that was Bill. My apologies, I wish I had double checked. I plan to check out the story about The Who playing in Bills HS gym. What a trip!

UndertheWire
03-16-2017, 02:19 PM
No need to apologise - I felt slightly bad about correcting you. I find it interesting to see how often different musicians show up - there are some who played with Glenn over a thirty year period. Quite a few who played with him in the 80s moved to Nashville around the late 80s/early 90s and I wonder if that was behind Glenn's plan to record a Nashville album around 1993/94.

UndertheWire
03-26-2017, 12:43 PM
Looking back through this thread, I found I'd posted a link and an extract of comments from Joe Vitale and I can't think why I didn't post the whole article. So I'm doing it now in case it gets archived.

Legendary Canton rock drummer reflects on late Eagles co-founder
By BJ Lisko (bj.lisko@cantonrep.com)
CantonRep.com entertainment writer
Canton's own Joe Vitale remembered Eagles co-founder Glenn Frey as an icon, a leader and an immense talent, but above all, a gentleman and friend.

Vitale, a veteran rock drummer, is a close-knit member of the Eagles family, having played with the group and its members in various stints. Frey, 67, died Monday of complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia, the band said on its website. He had fought the ailments for the past several weeks.

"Glenn had some health issues, but I don't think anyone realized how serious it was," Vitale said. "I don't think Glenn did even."

Vitale first met The Eagles in 1972 as a member of Barnstorm, which was led by legendary guitarist Joe Walsh.

"The Eagles were just starting out, and they actually opened for us," Vitale said. "We kind of teased them about that a little bit, but that can only go so far. They're one of America's biggest bands."

Walsh joined the Eagles in 1975, and Vitale played with Crosby Stills & Nash and the Michael Stanley Band, but the pair remained collaborative partners.

"I was still working with Joe and his solo stuff," Vitale said. "In '79, the Eagles went out to do 'The Long Run Tour,' and they needed an extra set of hands. They did quite a bit of Joe's music live, so they pulled me in. Also, I could play some stuff while (Eagles drummer) Don Henley would sing, to lighten his load."

Vitale played for two years with the band and appeared on the group's platinum-selling live record, 1980's "Eagles Live."

The Eagles broke up shortly after, and Vitale continued working with Walsh, including 1993's "Walsh/Frey Tour," which eventually led to a full-blown Eagles reunion.

"Glenn is such an icon," Vitale said. "He was one of the founding members and an amazing ideas guy. Anytime we were recording or rehearsing or doing gigs or putting set lists together, if we were stumbling, we'd always go, 'Ask Glenn,' because he always had the answer. He was really smart. He was smart in life and a smart showman."

Vitale has always remained in of contact with the Eagles and last saw the band in August.

"I went to see them and hang with them, and Glenn really included the audience," Vitale said. "He just made the audience feel welcome and really gave them a great show. That's one of the things that impressed me when I played with them. They insisted on being great live. When you're one of the leaders of a huge band like that, and 20,000 people paid a lot of money for tickets, you've got a lot of responsibility."

Vitale said he was amazed at Frey's ability to lead while also being a great communicator.

"He wanted 100 percent, but he was very patient," Vitale said.

"We'd work out drum parts together if there was an issue, and we smiled and laughed. It wasn't like school. We hung out and tried to find what worked. I never forgot that. He always understood you're dealing with people with feelings, and you have to be careful. That's what I take away from him. Learning how to deal with problems. He was just so skilled at it."

Vitale, 66, said that recent deaths in the music world including David Bowie and B.B. King, have hit close to home, but none more than Frey.

"We were very close," Vitale said. "I've known Glenn since 1972, and the Eagles are like a big family. Just like any family, when you lose a member it's sad. Glenn was a gentleman and a leader and tough. But a good family man and a gentleman."http://www.cantonrep.com/entertainment/20160120/vitale-remembers-bandmate-frey

FreyFollower
03-27-2017, 04:54 PM
UTW, I appreciate your posting of that article. I love stories like that I have read since Glenn's passing. Probably most people haven't a clue the tremendous amount of work he did for the band outside his role as a writer and performer.
He had the vision, determination , and drive to start them up and see them through. He had a great ear for talent, choosing other members and working out parts. He demanded the hard work and excellence necessary for a group to last. His love of the music, friendliness and warmth with an audience, and pure HEART are a few of the many things he brought that will be forever missed. IMO they never would have (or will) reach the same heights without him.

Dawn
03-27-2017, 06:26 PM
IMO they never would have (or will) reach the same heights without him.

I think that's very likely though all Eagles past and present are supremely talented IMHO Glenn was the match that lit the fire and kept it burning.

FreyFollower
03-27-2017, 07:16 PM
Oh, in no way did I intend to marginalize the incredible talent of all members. I just get tired of persons like the DJs I heard. They said, "How many guitars have they got up there?(on stage) Nobody will miss one!"

sodascouts
03-28-2017, 11:17 PM
Thank you for posting that, UTW. All you have to do is visit old threads to see how many articles disappear after a year or two. It's great to have them in our own "Border Archive."

Dawn
04-06-2017, 09:58 PM
Everytime I see this clip of Glenn introducing Certain Kind of Fool I am thankful someone captured the innocence of those early years and the pure joy of being in a band living the dream.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fJmlkp81Ayk

buffyfan145
04-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Copying this from the Eagles mention thread but Brad Paisley actually mentions Glenn in a lyric in is new song "Last Time for Everything". It debuted online today and the lyric is "Watching Glenn Frey sing "Already Gone" at the Forum in L.A. There’s a last time for everything.” The full song is out now on Spotify and I like it. Made me emotional hearing that though.

shunlvswx
04-07-2017, 05:27 PM
That was soo nice of Brad. I love his music. If I remembered, I think Brad paid tribute to Glenn on his facebook page when he died. I could be wrong.

Here's the link to the song from Youtube. The line about Glenn comes in at 1:42.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14c1Dv6FXPU

East Texas Girl
04-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Everytime I see this clip of Glenn introducing Certain Kind of Fool I am thankful someone captured the innocence of those early years and the pure joy of being in a band living the dream.

Me too! It is very nice to see them in their early stages...Love it!

East Texas Girl
04-07-2017, 05:57 PM
That was soo nice of Brad. I love his music. If I remembered, I think Brad paid tribute to Glenn on his facebook page when he died. I could be wrong.

Here's the link to the song from Youtube. The line about Glenn comes in at 1:42.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14c1Dv6FXPU

I can't wait to hear it!! Brad is such a cool guy!

Delilah
04-07-2017, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on the Brad Paisley song, Buffyfan and to Shun for posting the video. He also mentions Prince singing "Purple Rain" at the end.

buffyfan145
04-07-2017, 09:46 PM
No problem and thanks Shun for the vid. :D I love the song and each thing he mentions. Such a nice tribute to Glenn, Little Jimmy Dickens, and Prince. And yes Brad did do a tribute when Glenn when he died.

FreyFollower
04-07-2017, 10:30 PM
Thanks to Shun and Buffyfan for keeping us updated, and Dawn for the video!

sodascouts
04-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Copying this from the Eagles mention thread but Brad Paisley actually mentions Glenn in a lyric in is new song "Last Time for Everything". It debuted online today and the lyric is "Watching Glenn Frey sing "Already Gone" at the Forum in L.A. There’s a last time for everything.” The full song is out now on Spotify and I like it. Made me emotional hearing that though.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I'm buying the song right away.

NightMistBlue
04-09-2017, 07:40 PM

I get a similar feeling watching the "Take It Easy" performance from California Jam. Glenn's face lights up in a beautiful smile when he hears the crowd cheer in recognition of the song's opening bars.

sodascouts
04-09-2017, 09:38 PM
I love moments like that, too. So spontaneous and cute!

Brooke
04-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the link to Brad Paisley's song, Shun. Fabulous! I like Brad even more now!

shunlvswx
04-17-2017, 08:28 PM
Joe posted this video. Watch the video very close. You will notice someone in the band and a certain famous instrument.

https://www.facebook.com/JoeWalshOfficial/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcnkqYMkAK8

Funk 50
04-18-2017, 06:22 AM
Joe posted this video. Watch the video very close. You will notice someone in the band and a certain famous instrument.

https://www.facebook.com/JoeWalshOfficial/

Thanks for posting the link shunlvswx. Looks like Joe's acquired a lot of Glenn's road equipment. I noticed a Bernie Leadon road trunk too. Apparently one of Glenn's sons is rehearsing with Joe.

Preparations for the Classic East / West shows maybe.

All Of A Sudden the puzzling Tom Petty support shows begin to make sense. :shrug:

UndertheWire
04-18-2017, 09:45 AM
That's rather exciting. I know Deacon has played with his father on a few gigs but playing the Classic shows is a huge step up. Getting some practice on tour in a supporting role with Joe as a mentor seems a great way of gaining experience. Also, looking at him there with the long hair and Old Black, I can see why Don and Timothy would smile at the thought of him.

Brooke
04-18-2017, 10:17 AM
That's rather exciting. I know Deacon has played with his father on a few gigs but playing the Classic shows is a huge step up. Getting some practice on tour in a supporting role with Joe as a mentor seems a great way of gaining experience. Also, looking at him there with the long hair and Old Black, I can see why Don and Timothy would smile at the thought of him.

What memories they have! :heart:

buffyfan145
04-18-2017, 11:22 AM
Such a great surprise seeing Deacon in the vid and playing Old Black. :D As I wrote in the other thread on Joe's section I'm even more excited to see Joe & Tom in June. This is going to be great for Deacon and great mentors to have.

Philh
04-21-2017, 11:18 AM
Eagles Fastlane report that Brad Paisley remembers Glenn in his new single 'Last Time For Everything'

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=14c1Dv6FXPU&feature=player_embedded

shunlvswx
04-21-2017, 11:41 AM
I posted the link 2 pages back.

Pippinwhite
05-31-2017, 05:14 PM
Ah yes, Old Black. Someone may have posted the story of Old Black before, but that was a trade. Jeff Hanna of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band told the story in an interview. (I'm also a MAJOR Dirthead. See them live if you have a shot, too.) If I remember right, Jeff picked it up somewhere, then gave it to the NGDB drummer Jimmie Fadden, who then traded it to Glenn for some piece of equipment. Glenn painted it black and there you are.

And another fun Glenn anecdote, from John McEuen, string wizard for the NGDB. (Bernie Leadon was with them for a time after John left to raise his kids.) Anyway, McEuen has about seven kids, and I think this was when they all lived in Colorado. It may have been SoCal, but I believe it was Colorado. So, McEuen's wife has one of their kids, and the Dirt Band is on the road. The Eagles, however, were home, and Glenn took Mrs. McEuen flowers in the hospital, since John wasn't there to do it.

As John himself told it, "When you're a guy who looks like I do, you don't want a guy who looks like Glenn Frey taking flowers to your wife." LOLOL. John's tall and lanky and while I think he's precious, objectively, well, Glenn. 'Nuff said. John has that story on his website, but also told it in concert one night. I asked him about it after the show (they always do a meet and greet), and he laughed and said, "Yeah, for a week after I got home, all she could talk about was Glenn said this or that and how cute he is. Made me feel kinda insecure." LOLOL.

I always loved this little story. Makes me laugh every time.

Glennsallnighter
06-01-2017, 07:41 AM
Ah yes, Old Black. Someone may have posted the story of Old Black before, but that was a trade. Jeff Hanna of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band told the story in an interview. (I'm also a MAJOR Dirthead. See them live if you have a shot, too.) If I remember right, Jeff picked it up somewhere, then gave it to the NGDB drummer Jimmie Fadden, who then traded it to Glenn for some piece of equipment. Glenn painted it black and there you are.

And another fun Glenn anecdote, from John McEuen, string wizard for the NGDB. (Bernie Leadon was with them for a time after John left to raise his kids.) Anyway, McEuen has about seven kids, and I think this was when they all lived in Colorado. It may have been SoCal, but I believe it was Colorado. So, McEuen's wife has one of their kids, and the Dirt Band is on the road. The Eagles, however, were home, and Glenn took Mrs. McEuen flowers in the hospital, since John wasn't there to do it.

As John himself told it, "When you're a guy who looks like I do, you don't want a guy who looks like Glenn Frey taking flowers to your wife." LOLOL. John's tall and lanky and while I think he's precious, objectively, well, Glenn. 'Nuff said. John has that story on his website, but also told it in concert one night. I asked him about it after the show (they always do a meet and greet), and he laughed and said, "Yeah, for a week after I got home, all she could talk about was Glenn said this or that and how cute he is. Made me feel kinda insecure." LOLOL.

I always loved this little story. Makes me laugh every time.

Now you know how my husband feels lol

New Kid In Town
06-01-2017, 08:07 AM
Hi Pippinwhite - Just a question regarding Old Black - Everything I had read, including interviews from Glenn and Jackson, indicated Jackson had given Glenn the guitar when he did not like how it worked. I never read about the guitar being a gift from a guy in NGDB and Glenn painting it. Just wondering.....

UndertheWire
06-01-2017, 09:04 AM
I've read the Jackson Browne story, too - it was an interview Glenn gave in 1982. Jackson was in The Nitty Gritty Band at one point, so possibly he got it in a trade with Jimmie Fadden and later gave it to Glenn.

Pippin, it's so nice to hear different stories. Thank you.

Pippinwhite
06-01-2017, 09:46 AM
Jeff gave that interview to Vintage Guitar Magazine about seven years ago, so my memory may be faulty on the exact details, I freely admit. LOL. I know he had the guitar at one point. Maybe he gave it to Jackson, which would make sense, since Jackson also played with the NGDB for a while. All those guys knew each other, and played the same places, so they were all buddies.

I have that issue somewhere. If I can find it, I'll refresh my memory on the details and will post.

sodascouts
06-01-2017, 09:37 PM
Love the story Pippin!

Pippinwhite
06-02-2017, 01:08 AM
I love that story, too. And in reference to the origins of Old Black, it did originally belong to Jeff Hanna. I didn't find the magazine; I just asked Jeff on Facebook. LOLOL. That was his answer.

Old Black is obviously as much of a road dog as the rest of the guys. Heheh. :rockguitar:

UndertheWire
06-02-2017, 04:47 AM
I love that story, too. And in reference to the origins of Old Black, it did originally belong to Jeff Hanna. I didn't find the magazine; I just asked Jeff on Facebook. LOLOL. That was his answer.

Old Black is obviously as much of a road dog as the rest of the guys. Heheh. :rockguitar:
A road dog whose day is not yet done as it looks like Deacon Frey is the current keeper of Old Black.

If you ever find that magazine, please share the story. That guitar has quite a history.

I tracked down Jeff Hanna's facebook post about Glenn Frey:
https://www.facebook.com/nittygrittydirtband/photos/a.89175538892.86127.56648048892/10153500754838893/?type=3&theater

New Kid In Town
06-02-2017, 06:30 AM
UTW - Thanks for the FB link - it was interesting. Very cool that Deacon is playing old black. I had read somewhere(can't remember where) that Glenn had the guitar strung backwards due to his being left handed. Anyone know if this is true. If so, I guess Deacon would have had to had it re-strung as he is right handed based on the videos I have seen. :???:

UndertheWire
06-02-2017, 08:05 AM
Glenn played guitar right-handed so I assume his guitars would have been strung in the normal way.

Pippinwhite
06-02-2017, 09:18 AM
@soda: If I ever find that magazine, I'll definitely share it. I checked the Vintage Guitar website, and they do have a list of articles -- unfortunately, the articles themselves aren't archived online. The interview ran in the January and February 2003 issues. We've moved since then, so there's no telling where those magazines went.

I'll keep looking, though.

UndertheWire
07-02-2017, 07:41 AM
Dawn posted this on another thread but it also belongs here:

Aqua Vitae by Tiger Darrow

NYU graduate studied under Glenn Frey

http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/tiger-darrow-remembers-studying-under-the-eagles-glenn-frey-at-nyu-7946433

WalshFan88
07-02-2017, 07:23 PM
One of the movie channels has a marathon of the three Beverly Hills Cop movies.

The first one just started with "The Heat Is On"....

I've always wondered what Glenn would have done for the second movie when Bob Seger got it.

Fun fact, Shakedown was Bob's only #1 hit.

Glenn turned it down because he had laryngitis and wasn't fond of the lyrics as they were presented to him. Bob changed them some and when it went big, Glenn called Bob to congratulate him and said "at least we kept the money in Michigan".

I love both songs, but I've always wondered what Glenn would have sounded like on Shakedown and what changes he would have made.

UndertheWire
07-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Just a small comment of the Darrow Taylor interview (posted above).

I thought the contrast between the comments about Glenn from the journalist and the singer-songwriter were quite marked. The journalist, whose comments were based on a viewing of the documentary, wrote quite negatively whereas the singer-songwriter whose comments were based on meeting and working with Glenn were pretty positive. This is a familiar pattern and a good reminder that you can't judge the whole person based on a few interviews or even meeting them under favourable circumstances. Of course, I'm always going to favour those with the personal experience.

Pippinwhite
07-04-2017, 11:07 PM
@UTW: Agreed. There's no way you can form a really accurate opinion of anyone from watching a single documentary. And a good journalist would realize that. You could say, "I didn't get a very good impression from just the documentary, however, others who have worked with Frey say ....." and go on from there. Just using a single source isn't good reporting. I'm an old newshound myself, so I know this. LOLOL.

As you pointed out, there's always more than one side to a story. Always. And it's crucial to look at the whole picture. I've said as much on another thread. You have to see all sides to get the most accurate picture possible, and even then, you still won't have all the information. Like you, I'm much more apt to consider the opinions of those who worked closely with Glenn for a number of years as the best sources.

Dawn
07-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Dawn posted this on another thread but it also belongs here:

Thanks UTW ... for me it's very nice to know the positive and measurable impact Glenn had on people he came in contact with particularly young musicians, singers, songwriters like Tiger. She's very talented and I wish her all the best!

UndertheWire
07-24-2017, 01:33 PM
I came across this radio interview with Bob Seger's sax player where he talks about Glenn. Nothing earth-shattering, but still a very appreciative description of someone he came into contact with over many years. Only part 1 is about Glenn.
http://www.voiceofalexandria.com/entertainment/celebrity_news/bob-seger-sax-player-alto-reed-shares-his-memories-of/article_d3ecdf88-bec7-11e5-8bf6-0bc6e485a233.html

New Kid In Town
07-24-2017, 02:56 PM
UTW - Thank you for that interview.

Pippinwhite
07-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Great interview. Thanks for posting!

Here's a lovely little tidbit I ran across: http://rocknycliveandrecorded.com/nice-things-about-glenn-frey.html

Delilah
07-24-2017, 04:37 PM
Thanks for posting these, UTW and Pippinwhite. What an interesting name for a sax player--Alto Reed!

UndertheWire
07-24-2017, 04:40 PM
Real name Thomas Neal Cartmell according to wikipedia.

New Kid In Town
07-24-2017, 05:23 PM
Delilah - I thought the same thing !
UTW - Thanks, I wondered if that was his real name. I thought not but you never know ! (muses aloud - I was thinking of "Sir", North" and "Apple"-lol).

Brooke
07-25-2017, 02:51 PM
Thanks from me too, UtW and Pippin! :thumbsup:

Pippinwhite
07-25-2017, 03:26 PM
You're all very welcome! I thought that blog post about Glenn needed to be shared. You trust the people who say nice things about folks when they don't have to do it. There's a lesson in that...

sodascouts
07-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Agreed, and my thanks as well.

East Texas Girl
07-27-2017, 01:55 PM
Thanks for sharing Pippinwhite! Bernie's comments brought tears to my eyes. :cry:

Brooke
07-27-2017, 03:45 PM
Thanks for sharing Pippinwhite! Bernie's comments brought tears to my eyes. :cry:

Mine too.

And I still wonder why he wasn't asked to these Classic shows. :sad:

New Kid In Town
07-27-2017, 05:21 PM
Brooke - I do too ! Especially after he quoted Glenn saying it was not over.
He could have been asked and said "no" for any group of reasons we will never know or, he could never have neen asked at all.
I guess we will never know.........

Glennsallnighter
07-27-2017, 05:55 PM
Thanks for posting those little bits about Glenn :heart: Pippin. And lovely too that the banner on the top was created by Sodas glennfreyonline site. It was one of the first pictures I downloaded the evening over 10 years ago when I found the site.

Pippinwhite
08-02-2017, 11:05 PM
I'm so glad you all liked that post so much. I was so thrilled to find it and read it. As I said, when people don't have to say something nice about someone and do it anyway, those are the opinions I trust.

I also thought it was lovely what he did for the guys in the band, buying them all new instruments. Not that it surprises me at all, but it's always so nice to read about these kinds of things.

It just proves he was a generous, decent, kind-hearted person. Yes, he had his flaws, but don't we all? It's things like that which prove the kind of person you really are.

Dawn
08-03-2017, 01:00 AM
With Glenn's passing we lost someone who in spite of all his accomplishments professionally and personally still had much to do. And though it saddens me to reflect on what might have been I can only imagine how difficult it is for his family, many friends and colleagues. Though we will never see Glenn standing on stage under the spotlight again one has only to play one of his records to realize the essence of Glenn Frey can never be diminished.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLgWOFGi299yMoDc8aK98EL18IykoUEiXS&params=EAEYATgBSAFYCWILWEJCX1VkQ1A1VTBoBw%253D%253 D&v=zZZBFM_RBDI&mode=NORMAL

sodascouts
08-03-2017, 01:37 AM
Very true. The music lives on.

WalshFan88
08-03-2017, 01:43 AM
Something I've thought of lately is Glenn and Joe's connection and friendship.

At times I feel that Glenn and Joe got along better and were closer than Glenn and Don were and it was less of a battle between the two powers of the band.

I just see Joe doing stuff in live footage that makes Glenn crack up and I just feel like they got along well. Not necessarily because Joe was a "yes man", but I think that Glenn could appreciate Joe's humor even in the later years. And maybe tensions were less due to the nature of their relationship and it being different than working with your co-founder and fellow songwriter and such.

I mean they did Party Of Two shows (something I wish now I could have seen), they really never had any (TTBOMK) squabbles, and I think they genuinely liked each other. Keeping in mind the Party Of Two thing started before the reunion.

I don't know that Joe didn't get along with any Eagle, although I think Henley and Joe have had their differences, especially over singing Desperado, lol. I don't see a real connection between those two, at least not like Glenn and Joe.

There is footage of a 1992 Party Of Two show on YouTube and it's awesome.

UndertheWire
08-03-2017, 04:13 AM
I just hope that the people who were close to Glenn are looking through his work, both released and unreleased to see how it could be made available to a wider (or even just a narrow) audience. As an autobiography is out of the question, maybe even an authorised biography. (The point about authorised is I would want to hear from the people close to him and it's clear that they are quite protective).

Dawn
08-03-2017, 04:28 AM
I just hope that the people who were close to Glenn are looking through his work, both released and unreleased to see how it could be made available to a wider (or even just a narrow) audience. As an autobiography is out of the question, maybe even an authorised biography. (The point about authorised is I would want to hear from the people close to him and it's clear that they are quite protective).

Yes, absolutely agree would love to see something like this happen.

sodascouts
08-03-2017, 10:07 AM
That's an amazing idea. I know there are people looking at his catalog. An authorized biography would also be fantastic.

buffyfan145
08-03-2017, 10:27 AM
I would love an authorized biography too. And I agree with you WF88 and loved Glenn and Joe's friendship, and with Pippin about the comments.

UndertheWire
08-03-2017, 12:56 PM
Sreenwriter Mark Bomback:

On his first day on the job as Glenn Frey’s assistant back in 1994, the War for the Planet of the Apes writer exchanged a quick hello with the late Eagles guitarist before being tossed a small black film canister. “It's hot and liquid inside. And he said, ‘I need you to bring my daughter's urine sample to her pediatrician.’ It was that kind of job,” Bomback recalls. “I was like, ‘My pediatrician dad would completely cringe at the idea that he's put in all this work to give me a Wesleyan education, and here I am doing a urine delivery for a rock star's child.’”

Despite the success, he sometimes misses the perks of working for a rock legend like courtside Lakers tickets and an up-close peak at The Eagles 1994 reunion. “Glenn was the most generous person. I had an engagement party and he attended with his wife and regaled all my friends with Eagles stories and he was really lovely to me,” says Bomback, who lives in Chappaqua, N.Y. (Hillary Clinton is a neighbor) with his wife and four children. “I spend a lot of time around people who are famous. And in some ways he was the model as to how you conduct yourself when you’re famous.”
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/how-planet-apes-writer-mark-bomback-got-his-improbable-hollywood-start-1026412

sodascouts
08-03-2017, 01:35 PM
Something I've thought of lately is Glenn and Joe's connection and friendship.

At times I feel that Glenn and Joe got along better and were closer than Glenn and Don were and it was less of a battle between the two powers of the band.

I just see Joe doing stuff in live footage that makes Glenn crack up and I just feel like they got along well. Not necessarily because Joe was a "yes man", but I think that Glenn could appreciate Joe's humor even in the later years. And maybe tensions were less due to the nature of their relationship and it being different than working with your co-founder and fellow songwriter and such.

I mean they did Party Of Two shows (something I wish now I could have seen), they really never had any (TTBOMK) squabbles, and I think they genuinely liked each other. Keeping in mind the Party Of Two thing started before the reunion.

I don't know that Joe didn't get along with any Eagle, although I think Henley and Joe have had their differences, especially over singing Desperado, lol. I don't see a real connection between those two, at least not like Glenn and Joe.

There is footage of a 1992 Party Of Two show on YouTube and it's awesome.

I was lucky enough to go to Party of Two show in 2010. You could tell they were having a blast.

There's a moment in the "Behind the Scenes" footage from Hell Freezes Over where Glenn is looking really stressed out, and Joe just puts a reassuring hand on his back. I think that moment says a lot. People talk about Glenn as one of "The Gods" and Joe as a "hired hand" and all that, but that's not a guy with his boss, a lesser before a superior. That's a guy with his friend.

And when Joe sang a tribute to Glenn at his memorial, I think we can determine from the accounts that's what he sang... "The Friend Song."

Here are the lyrics:

The Friend Song

I have a friend
He's like my brother
And every now and then we sit down
And we talk to each other

One time we talked
All about the future
And we shared each others' dreams and plans
For later on, when we both had time at hand
And weren't so damn busy
Me and my friend

And the thing I don't understand
Dear God, where is he?
Where is he?

And so my friend, I must say
So long, for now
Your time is over
I must go on

You are my brother
This is your song
It will last forever, forever, forever
We'll be friends that long

shunlvswx
08-03-2017, 02:16 PM
I found the Friend Song on Youtube. Oh wow!!! I can see why Joe cried when he sang this song. The lyrics are soo powerful. The song comes in at 4:45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoyE-zTlUg

sodascouts
08-03-2017, 02:54 PM
I found the Friend Song on Youtube. Oh wow!!! I can see why Joe cried when he sang this song. The lyrics are soo powerful. The song comes in at 4:45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoyE-zTlUg

For me, the last four lines especially got to me - they're so simple, but they're sung with such emotion, and applying them to Glenn... I teared up just listening to them.

buffyfan145
08-03-2017, 05:12 PM
That just made me tear up too. :( It's very relatable for me too having had a close friend pass away unexpectedly a few years ago.

Pippinwhite
08-03-2017, 08:43 PM
I don't think there's any question that Joe and Glenn were real friends. I mean, you don't just take off and pick someone up and tote them off to rehab when you don't care anything about them.

When Joe has mentioned Glenn in concert, well, you can't fake that kind of pain. I think they complemented each other in many ways. Glenn brought some discipline and structure, while Joe brought that zany sense of humor and spontaneity. Glenn helped Joe keep it on track, and Joe helped Glenn loosen up. I also think he helped Glenn see the value in letting go of some things.

Joe holds no grudges, isn't mad at anybody, and is genuinely grateful for his career and the life he has now. God bless him! I'd love to give him a big hug.

Pippinwhite
08-04-2017, 12:10 AM
I may be wrong, I'll freely admit. I thought I remembered Glenn telling the story in HOTE that he and Don drove Joe to rehab. But my memory may be faulty. It could certainly happen. If I am, I'm happy for someone to correct me.

Dawn
08-04-2017, 12:45 AM
I just watched the documentary last nite. i never get tired of the story and the music and have lost count of how many times I've watched it. It was Don Felder and Irving who took Joe to rehab.

Pippinwhite
08-04-2017, 12:46 AM
I stand corrected. Thanks Dawn!

Dawn
08-04-2017, 12:58 AM
No worries Pippin I just happened to be watching the documentary where it was discussed.

Also, I agree I think Glenn was genuinely fond of Joe. In the documentary there is a scene after rehab where Joe is singing Pretty Maids and Glenn looks over at him with visible emotion. Very sweet.

Dawn:wave:

New Kid In Town
08-05-2017, 09:43 AM
I think with Joe there was a deep friendship between them. I remember seeing a picture posted in the Eagles photo thread where Joe and Glenn had been on some morning show in I believe GB. The photo shows them kinda holding hands as they sat next to each other.

I think Glenn's friendship with Joe was uncomplicated and did not have the peaks and valleys that his friendship with Don did due to their working relationship. Joe knew it was Don and Glenn's band(as he has said so often) and was just happy to be in the band and play their music. You could tell their was a lot of love and respect between them. I think it was no accident that Joe entered his worst stages of addiction and abuse after the Eagles broke up. As he said, Glenn, Don and Irving saved his life when they agreed to get back together and insisted Joe enter rehab as a condition of him rejoining the band.

I love the last four lines in the song and could see how it would make Joe cry and how difficult it must have been to sing it.

UndertheWire
08-05-2017, 10:37 AM
I think with Joe there was a deep friendship between them. I remember seeing a picture posted in the Eagles photo thread where Joe and Glenn had been on some morning show in I believe GB. The photo shows them kinda holding hands as they sat next to each other.
I think soda has the clip online. On of the presenters had given an intro that described Joe's battle against substance abuse and as the camera cut to them, you can see Glenn squeeze Joe's hand in a reassuring way.

One of the letters to Lefsetz was from a friend of Glenn's who said that Glenn told him the HFO tour would be drug and alcohol free in respect to Joe. That seems very considerate and practical.

Dawn
08-20-2017, 12:00 AM
Nice 2013 nterview with Linda Ronstadt pre Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction where she talks about how she dislikes "prize shows" as well as the early years with the Eagles and how it was Glenn Frey who discovered Don Henley could sing. Linda is a great storyteller and has such a wonderful sense of humor.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v4R1UhKbclE

UndertheWire
08-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Jack Tempchin is doing promotion for his new album and unsurprisingly it includes a lot of remembering Glenn.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/music/sd-et-music-jack-tempchin-20170808-story.html

New Kid In Town
08-20-2017, 02:09 PM
Thanks Dawn and UTW. I think may get Jack's cd, although I normally am not a big fan of his voice.

Glennsallnighter
08-20-2017, 04:19 PM
Thanks UTW. He mentioned this album when some of us went to see him in LA in January. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Delilah
08-23-2017, 11:50 AM
This is a memorial tribute by the Songwriter's Hall of Fame back in 2016. I did a search on this thread and didn't find it. There were some interesting details about the early days of Glenn's music career that I didn't know e.g. The Mushrooms appeared on a TV show.

Born in November, 1948, Frey first began putting out his music taproots in the glory days of Detroit rock in the mid-‘60s, with his first band, The Mushrooms. The group soon began appearing on the hot local TV show, Robin Seymour’s Swinging Time, and rapidly became a staple on the music menu of The Hideout, a favorite local teen hangout. The band’s first single record, released on the club’s own Hideout label, was produced by the young Bob Seger (2012 Songwriters Hall of Fame Inductee) prior to his forming his own band. The single, “Such A Lovely Child,” achieved significant local airplay and sales.
https://www.songhall.org/news/view/remembering_glenn_frey

East Texas Girl
08-23-2017, 02:08 PM
That's cool, great find Delilah!!

Dawn
08-25-2017, 12:36 PM
Was not sure where to post this

Jack Tempchin Premieres Video for 'Privacy,' the Last Song He Wrote

"Jack Tempchin, longtime collaborator and friend of the Eagles' Glenn Frey, is debuting a new video for "Privacy," a track on his Peaceful Easy Feeling: The Songs of Jack Tempchin album, available Friday (Aug. 25). "Privacy" was the final song Tempchin and Frey wrote together, though it was never recorded prior to the sessions for this album.

Glenn and I wrote this song in 2002, back when we both first became concerned about the issue of privacy," Tempchin tells Billboard. "To me, it’s become one of the main issues of our time, but most people haven’t woken up to it yet. This song and video illustrate that point in a playful and humorous way.”

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7941925/jack-tempchin-privacy-video-glenn-frey

Freypower
08-25-2017, 07:13 PM
We have a topic about Jack Tempchin.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1195

Yes, you can get it frrom Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Peaceful-Easy-Feeling-Songs-Tempchin/dp/B073JH5595/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1503701492&sr=8-1

What a shame that Glenn is not listed as a co-writer of any of the tracks. I won't be buying it although I appreciate Jack's efforts.

Dawn
08-25-2017, 09:48 PM
We have a topic about Jack Tempchin.

Yes, you can get it frrom Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Peaceful-Easy-Feeling-Songs-Tempchin/dp/B073JH5595/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1503701492&sr=8-1

What a shame that Glenn is not listed as a co-writer of any of the tracks. I won't be buying it although I appreciate Jack's efforts.

Good grief don't know how I missed this, thank you FP. I added my post to the Tempchin thread not sure what the protocol is ... do I delete my post here?

I hadn't noticed that Glenn wasn't credited as a co-writer on any of the tracks wonder what that is all about.

Dawn
08-25-2017, 10:41 PM
The Eagles Live Starlake Amphitheater Pittsburgh PA August 1994

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OWcpRLPLicc

08-26-2017, 01:32 PM
Hi all - Just to stay on topic here, I went ahead and moved the posts about the 'Privacy' video discussion to Jack's thread. Here you go:

And speaking of this topic - I miss you every day, Glenn. You will always be in my heart. :heart:

Dawn
08-26-2017, 03:02 PM
Hi all - Just to stay on topic here, I went ahead and moved the posts about the 'Privacy' video discussion to Jack's thread. Here you go:

And speaking of this topic - I miss you every day, Glenn. You will always be in my heart. :heart:

Thank you Dreamer, sorry for your trouble, my mistake!

:wave: Dawn

08-26-2017, 04:04 PM
No need to apologize Dawn. It's all good. It was perfectly logical to post about Jack's album here. These kinds of things happen all the time on forums - you never know when something you post in a thread will go off in another direction. When that happens, this is part of what we moderators are here for - we either move the posts to another thread or start a new one if the topic doesn't already exist. All in the name of good ole anal organization. :thumbsup:

Pippinwhite
08-29-2017, 04:07 PM
Does listening to Glenn sing "Wild Mountain Thyme" make anyone else cry? I've always loved that song, but something about the way Glenn sings it makes me bawl.

buffyfan145
08-29-2017, 04:23 PM
There's something special about Glenn singing it for me too. I've heard various versions of it since it's one of my Mom's favorite Irish songs but Glenn's version is still my favorite.

Freypower
08-29-2017, 06:09 PM
Does listening to Glenn sing "Wild Mountain Thyme" make anyone else cry? I've always loved that song, but something about the way Glenn sings it makes me bawl.

I'd rather listen to that than a lot of his official recorded output.

LovinGlennGirl
08-29-2017, 08:07 PM
Wild Mountain Thyme and Lover's Moon make me cry. His voice is just so very soft and sweet and filled with emotion in both songs.

groupie2686
08-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Wild Mountain Thyme is lovely. What gets to me are some of Glenn's songs from Long Road Out of Eden. No More Cloudy Days makes me want to cry...it it so sweet and innocent. The line "I believe in angels too" gets to me every time. You Are Not Alone and It's Your World Now also get to me.

LovinGlennGirl
09-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Wild Mountain Thyme is lovely. What gets to me are some of Glenn's songs from Long Road Out of Eden. No More Cloudy Days makes me want to cry...it it so sweet and innocent. The line "I believe in angels too" gets to me every time. You Are Not Alone and It's Your World Now also get to me.

And how What Do I Do With my Heart wasn't released is beyond me. That song and Glenn's voice is amazing. Tears for sure.

Pippinwhite
09-02-2017, 10:51 PM
LGG-- Lover's Moon is one that just makes me sighhhh.... :inlove: